3.9

1. Oct 2, 2012
    What an unmitigated disaster. Blizzard should apologize to their fans for this atrocious attempt at a sequel to Diablo 3. Why the game is bad has already been stated enough times to be clear. I just want to give voice to the overwhelming disappointment that this game has wrought on fans of this series.

Truly pathetic.
  2. May 15, 2012
    The game is great, but with the error37 and the constants internet "check in" make this a bad game" Why this blizzard?? We bought your game, we want have it.
  3. May 15, 2012
    So after having played this game for around about 3 - 4 hours, I can confidently say that staring at a screen saying 'error 37' is not fun. would not recommend if you like fun things.
  4. May 15, 2012
    Absolutely horrendous. I bought a single player game and I have to be online to play offline mode? What kind of wizardy is this **** I mean for christ sakes man if I buy a beer I don't expect an apple juice.
  5. May 15, 2012
    This game is just bad.
    You can't log in due to **** servers.
    It is only 2-6 hours long.
    Real money auction house
    Graphics that are just appalling.
    Retcons its own ending.
    No Pokemon like in WoW.
  6. May 15, 2012
    So Blizzard makes us wait for 10+ years charges a hefty sum and then puts **** DRM? How can a game this size can fail on launch day. This is not a MMORPG, so I shouldn't be bothered with all this "server is too busy" errors and actually be able to play the game. I respected the devs and paid for the game; in return I expect the same treatment and not this. Returning the game. End of diablo 3.
  7. May 15, 2012
    It is a very good game, VERY GOOD!!!!
    It even comes with a challenge, beat the login server, error 37 is the prime evil, if you beat it, all will obey your orders.
    Now seriously, if you don't mind spending 3 hours to get in, you should totally buy, if not, don't waste your money.
  8. May 23, 2012
    After playing a firm 50 hours and leveling two characters in to Nightmare I can safely say a few things. First of all, the length of time Blizzard made us wait for the game, as well as the length of time they spent beta testing were obviously squandered. While the core game play itself seems bug free, everything else from the client, to logging in, to the auction house, to even doing in-game trading is finicky and simply just plain bad - untested, unfinished product. At the heart of the game is the Diablo hack and slash combat we all know and love, and the skills and classes feel good. From this aspect the game excels very well. However, and unfortunately for Blizzard, the fact the servers were horrible on the first week, and still lag constantly, the auction house which continually gives you error codes whenever you try to buy an item or sell an item, the incredibly short, predictable, and tired storyline that any elementary school student could have come up with, the incredible shortness of Act 4, and the quite clearly 4 year old graphics engine combine to give a rating - 5/10. The game hits all the points we wanted from D2, and that's not saying much considering that game is 12 years old. Feels like a Diablo 2 expansion pack more than a new full game. Expand
  9. May 15, 2012
    If you are hoping for a third edition to the Diablo series, and have play the past two, do not have high hopes for this version. It reminds me of what they did to the Dungeon Siege series. They used the name, but removed everything that made it great. If you have never played Diablo I or II go for it, you probably will enjoy it. This game IMHO should have had a different title, maybe I wouldn't feel so let down. This game was the final straw. I am no longer buying New releases. I am going to wait until user reviews come out, and price drops. Expand
  10. May 15, 2012
    Tons of fun, a couple hiccups at launch but a really enjoyable game. I cant wait to bang my head against the wall in inferno. The changes in the skill system are good, saving up points was not a fun mechanic.
  11. May 22, 2012
    I am surprised how so very few people mention the similarities between D3 and WoW. I have never played WoW, just looked at friends playing and I can see so many things taken from WoW.
  12. May 30, 2012
    Sigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. I have played the game through to hell mode (normal,nightmare,hell,inferno) and i am giving this a fair review as most are just pissed off and give it a 1 or 0 i feel Diablo III should be rated at a 5, Not worth 60$ maybe 30$ and i would wait to even buy for the reason that they have a lot of work to do in making that game playable. Expand
  13. May 15, 2012
    It has been a horrible nightmare trying to get this game downloaded and then to get logged in. They let you go through an 8gb download only to find at the end there's a corrupted file and you have to reinstall. They give you a line of bunk that you have to reset your modem and turn off your firewall and all this other crap that doesn't do squat.

Then when I finally get into the game I
    am shocked at how it plays compared to Diablo 2. No more stat customizations, no more skill choices, no more anything customized by the player to make his character unique. It's just a romper room game of hack n slash. The 8 year olds out there will love this. Look Mommy Look I beat up dah bad guy, I rock.....can I have some juice now peeze.

It is so simple easy and linear it's just not worth playing. Gawd I hate getting ripped off in the computer gaming industry but you know how they work NO REFUNDS SUCKAH.

So, I'm just telling you DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS! It's just not worth it and the headaches will be horrible because you'll be sitting looking at the screen to login more than you'll actually be able to play
  14. May 15, 2012
    Very disappointing game. I was fortunate enough to have the game work alright, however the combat was dull and uninteresting. It felt more like wow then a diablo game and the story was abysmal even for blizzard. I would not recommend this game to anyone. The game play was best suited for casual gamers, but I doubt that they would want to jump through all the hoops to play this game.
  15. May 19, 2012
    My original review has been withdrawn. Pending further exploration of the gameplay, characters, art design, story, etc. Multiplayer-side will hopefully be thoroughly tested too. Reason; I began to look past the initial annoyances and, although they still bug me somewhat, I have seen a side of the game that I had overlooked, blinded by mostly unfounded rage. So, based on what I have experienced in the game so far, I will give Diablo 3 an 8. Expand
  16. May 16, 2012
    When you can get connected the game is pretty cool. Especially if you are long time fan of the franchise. I just wish I could consistently connect. I may post an updated review later after I can get more play time. I bought the collector's edition and have to admit I was pissed on launch not being able to play for the first 24 hours or so. Here is hoping I like it more next week.
  17. Sep 24, 2012
    This game had it's launch problems, then you could play it for a while and no the RMAH has turned into what many feared it would. There should have been an option to play this game without internet connection. It's a shame, the death of Diablo no doubt.
  18. May 17, 2012
    Outgrowing gaming was something I had begun to accept - especially with PC gaming and its decline. My hopes haven't withered away entirely, with prospects from Bethesda and Blizzard and the upcoming Guild Wars 2 keeping my hopes afloat. I think we can all agree the Diablo series maintains superior replay value for games of their day and age. Unfortunately, video gaming is constantly ever-changing. Console-tards have overrun the video game world. Their need for instant gratification and simplification and flashiness has eventually seeped into PC gaming (cough* Skyrim and there removal of attributes, stuff from previous installments, etc.). Though I'm not that old, I'm a longtime vet of old school titles like the Diablo series. Like many of you, I grew up with the game. I f**king loved it. Still do.

My point is this: The people who made this game aren't the original devs. They borrowed concepts from other oversimplified games, made their own oversimplified Diablo clone, and made Diablo into a chick. Seriously? It's all about the money, isn't it Vivendi? I should have known better. But I digress. - Character development simplified. All skills auto unlock (which is horsef**k). Skills can't be upgraded to your liking with points invested into them (the one thing they should have kept). No attribute distribution. Completely unoriginal skills and effects. The RPG element has dissipated severely. You can make your character male or female. Customization can't get much more depth than that. /sarcasm

- The original "dark/fantasy/horror" theme of the game is lost. It adopted the cartoon-world style that WoW has. I remember the "grittiness" playing Diablo in the dark, while nearly sh**ing my pants when the Butcher came out of his room. I'm not going to complain about the outdated visuals too much, since the original Diablo games weren't renowned for their graphics. They did what worked - which is what I hoped they would do here. But they didn't.

- Plot is terrible. Diablo and Diablo 2 weren't the best, I'll admit. By best, I mean something along the lines of Final Fantasy VII and X. How many years was Diablo 3 in making? With all those years of development, I would expect something refreshing in the least. I predicted so many parts of the story it wasn't even funny. I feel like I've been lied to. I can't help but to speculate that the game began development a year or two ago, and they've just been hyping people up all these years to make money (i.e. Chinese Democracy - Guns N' Roses)

- Sound and effects were alright.

- I will admit, the auction house was sweet. But they're implementing a real money auction house, where they get a cut. Way to turn the tables on those pesky Chinese farmers, Blizzard. At least they've realized you can't get rid of them; so why not join them, right? #allaboutthe$

- Buggy launch is buggy

- Gameplay isn't all THAT bad compared to originals. Diablo was a point and click game originally, but it shouldn't take all these years to realize a game with the exact same concept. People will get their hopes up and expect something unique and original, only to be shot down by something stagnant.

- Need internet to play? No single player offline? Self explanatory.

- No PvP. One of the reasons I continued play and developing my characters in Diablo 2 for years on and off was the fact I could poop on the chests of newcomers. When it hasn't been implemented, it implies several things: Character skills and attributes weren't too well thought out. By this, I think they created them for PvE, disregarding the balance and effects players would have combatting eachother. It means the game is unfinished. They took too long making it, haven't finished, and rushed it into the fray to ease the ever growing throng of Diablo-fanboy piranhas (like myself, admittedly). Shoulda saw it coming when SC2 was announced, boys. - Bringing back old school characters to induce nostalgia in older players? Didn't do it for me. I was actually offended seeing these monsters I've slain in the past magically brought back out of nowhere. The only one I wouldn't have been disappointed with and wasn't brought back was Andariel, so I could pause the game and look at her boobies jiggle. Then again, they probably would have taken that out too. Overall, I'm disappointed. It lost that effective formula that I can't quite put my finger on, which kept me and so many others coming back. If you're a fan of the series, don't give in to capitalism and waste your money on this oversimplified Diablo clone. Yes, I'm putting on the level of a "clone" and not an actual title within the series. It's that bad. Like the hero of old who slew Diablo beneath Tristram and became the Dark Wanderer, this game too is nothing more than a shadow of it's former glories. 1/10.
  19. May 17, 2012
    The reviews that have come in so far are awfully repetitive. Like they've all been coached on the same OCD aspie game forum. The game, quite simply, isn't nearly a 3.8. Gamers will literally shoot down anything today, no matter how finely polished and well made. I don't think PC gamers deserve good games anymore. After the fiasco whiny gamers made in the wake of the Mass Effect 3 release, I finally get it; the games will never be good enough. The aspies will always complain. "Not enough ridiculous attributes and skill points for me to obsess over!" "I can't make my character look just like my furry acceptance forum avatar!" "People with lives, jobs and money can afford to participate in auctions that my horded lunch money can't match!"

This is insane. I've played the game as a Barbarian up to level 10 so far and it has been absolute blast. Diablo 3 is just like the old school dungeon crawlers where you just run around smashing skeletons and barrels and boosting your loot. That's it. So your screen isn't almost completely full of little buttons with unique spells or skills or whatever-the-hell. Who cares? It's a lot more fun that way for the rest of us "casuals", or basically 90% of the burgeoning game market.

And guess what? The "consoletards" that prefer a more streamlined, intense gaming experience are not wrong. The "decline" of PC gaming as seen by aspies who prefer clutter and lots of variables to obsess over, can easily be seen as a new era of awesome by those of us who prefer a cinematic experience without a lot of BS.

There are a few things that make me groan: the always-online DRM, the graphics are a little plain. But those things haven't hindered my experience wasting zombies en masse one bit. Get over yourselves, nerds.
  20. Jun 27, 2012
    Diablo 3 is just a way to force you to use your real money in order to finish game, like the fremium games out there, with the difference it wasn't free. Add the fact servers go down very often and you find yourself logged out loosing items and buffs. Blizzard this time made a big flop. You're forced to use a constant Internet connection, even if the nature of this game wouldn't need.
    I
    waited for Diablo 3 for years, now I'd like it was never released, because it's an ugly, farming game. :( Expand
  21. Jun 3, 2012
    Here is a 26 page thread on the official Diablo 3 forum dated June 2, 2012.:

It is an honest up to date view of how registered players rate D3. Gone are the rage reviews from the initial start up when players were unable to access and play D3 for 2 days after it's release. Gone are the reviews rated "10" for people trying to counteract
    the rage reviews. Also gone are the reviews by "professional raters", the critics that write reviews and work for magazines and web sites that rely on money recieved for advertising from game manufacturer's: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Launch-Fiasco-Proves-Video-Game-Journalism-Fails-42624.html. The average user rating shows 6.0 to 6.5. The thread says it all. Expand
  22. May 18, 2012
    As usual, Blizzard nailed the gameplay and succesfully synthesized the new 'perfect drug' for PC gamers. In this iteration of the franchise however, the production value surprisingly falls short of what we've become accustomed to from the company. Unlike Starcraft II's highly polished cutscenes, Diablo III offers poorly animated in-game cutscenes and jerky dialogue transitions.

Multiplayer play was made much better, and much easier - so much easier that you'll probably find it impossible to play alone! Too bad that the cost for this was a highly controversial DRM that Blizzard utterly failed in supporting on the first few days from launch. Blizzard probably lost many supporters because of this (I can understand), but Diablo III remains a fun game that will keep you entertained for a good while.
  23. May 18, 2012
    No one has said the extremely obvious. They just remade diablo ii with newer graphics. I am only into act ii, but I have killed the butcher and I have taken the carvan east. Even act ii is in the desert. WOW let get original. Mobs are also very similar. Not overly impressed. Guess I should stick to LOTRO!!
  24. May 20, 2012
    Okay, Diablo 3's quite good, but the download and login problems are bloody chronic. I think this low rating gives a nice little warning that making single player games require login, then **** up the login servers just isn't acceptable. Giving 3/10 to push it closer to 3.3 (as in Error 33).
  25. May 20, 2012
    outdated graphics, broken servers, playable only when battle.net is up + it is obvious they released a 25% complete game to boost their H1 earnings reports.

think will be playable when 1st expansion and its 2nd patch comes out - just like d2
  26. May 20, 2012
    Okay, this should've been a Single Player Game. This is no MMO. You should've given us the choice to choose between off-/online. Now I have a game, which is no MMO, and I can't play it, because you MMO experts (WoW) can't handle your servers. This makes me regret the purchase so much. Truly sad.
  27. May 20, 2012
    I am no doubt in the minority of people who do not find the DRM to be a problem. I am always connected to the internet, and yes; the first few days of server issues were annoying but there are more serious problems with the game. Considering how long this game has been in development, it is appalling to see how little has been done to improve the Diablo formula. For years many games such as Torchlight have been considered "Diablo-clones," but the master has a lot of learning to do from the students.

For starters the graphics are terrible for such a simple game. The spell effects are hit and miss, but for the most part they are quite lacking in polish considering how much could be done (and how much time they've had to do it).

The game's mechanics are as simple as they should be, but the problem I have is with character development. Characters get no appearance customization, leaving you to look exactly like all of the others that share the same class and gender. Armor changes look so infrequently you can go a whole act and none of your teammates will notice your equipment has changed. Weapons are recycled models, with nothing new ever added into the mix as you progress. Even with all of these simple faults that could lead to the game being more enjoyable, none surpass the problems with skills and stats.

The skill system is by far the most boring aspect of the game. Each character is given skills at varying levels and then runes to equip and upgrade your skills. This system gives you preselected upgrades and completely removes player input on how they want their character to evolve. My monk is set up for tanking, and less than half of the times I've leveled has he ever a got something to increase his ability to tank. This means the majority of the time I spend leveling with him, I use the same skills I've been using since the first act on normal difficulty. I feel as though he really isn't changing, and I have no input at all how I would like him to change. I will be the first to applaud Blizzard for trying something new, but this system is not good. I honestly would have preferred gaining skill points and being able to choose my skills, and use skill points to upgrade them. Currently, my main skills change so infrequently, it feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over until I get so bored I have to play something else to avoid falling asleep.

Stats are another problem area for this game. Depending on your class you will only be stacking in two stats. Vitality is for everyone since it gives you added health (and thus survivability). Barbarians stack strength, Witch Doctors and Wizards stack intelligence, and Monks and Demon Hunters stack dexterity. If you have a stat not specified for your class, all you gain is an arbitrary bonus (int gives resistance, dex gives dodge, and str gives armor). This means stat balancing is non-existent. As it stands, there is no reason for a Wizard to have any dexterity because it does not provide critical chance, nor will it increase any of his abilities. This has removed the need for allocating stat points when you level, but makes armor and weapon choices a simple yes or no. It also makes you wonder why the in burning hells you just found a Witch Doctor off-hand that has strength and dexterity.

Lastly I'll wrap up my complaints with a few quick points about other problems I've noticed. Voice acting is terrible. Polish is nice, but they only polished a turd. Crafting system provides equipment of a lesser value than of what you find out in the world (and yet you have to use the equipment you find to salvage for parts to make new equipment). Story is way too short (four acts total amassing MAYBE 10 hours on your first play through). Harder difficulties only give trash mobs more hp (too much if you ask me) instead of the preferred method of more difficult enemies. Dungeons don't feel different at all on multiple play throughs. With all of these problems, it does have some nice qualities. The combat is often fun. Getting a new skill or rune will sometimes change up your strategy enough to where you'll feel like you're playing a new class. Tanking is fun for those who do not like relying on someone else keeping you alive. It's active and involved and the game makes sure your full attention is on it, or you will suffer a death.

To sum up, this game does not feel finished, and it feels more like a beta than a full game.From any other game company I would have held it to lower standards, but considering it was Blizzard and considering how long it took; this game is a poor excuse for a Diablo sequel. I would not recommend to anyone to buy this game. If the price ever dropped below $15, then maybe, but it is not worth the $60 you would waste on it otherwise.
  28. May 20, 2012
    This review starts off at 10/10, and I'll explain the deductions... (I tried my best to not have spoilers of any kind)

DRM: I personally wouldn't play offline, as I want my character to progress, and to play with my friends; BUT being required to only play online just pisses me off as a consumer. Make it so single player characters that are offline can NEVER go online. Problem solved! (
    -3 )

Connectivity: Under normal games this is not an issue. Server crashes, you get a 10 second time-out. If you die, so what repair your stuff for a marginal amount of gold and continue. I however play Hard-core. If the server craps out on my character may be permanently deleted through no fault of my own. ( -1)

Auction House: I've seen stuff available for sale in Game-gold (which is fine) I would never pay any cash for anything. I won't knock the game for that. ( No Effect )

Game-play: It is somewhat fun, you have to play with other people or it will become boring as hell in no time. The inclusion of lore, and side stories helps to add emersion, but the story is predictable, and very linear. I was expecting a better story out of this game, as they had 12 years to make it and a litany of novels written about the world to draw off of. ( +1 ) I wish this was higher like a +4 :( but no way can I rate it anything other than ( +1 )

The fact I can only customize my hero through items is a bit disappointing, but it has it's upside as well. No worries about misplacing a skill point, or a Patch coming along ruining my build, but It's all cookie cutter. It's a + and a - in my books. ( No Effect ) Graphics: The cinematic are gorgeous, but there are soo few!!! The rest are drawn graphic-novel style with not much in the way of colour. They can argue they did this for effect, but I found it disappointing, and skip them the second time through. A waste I say... The world is nicely done to a degree, there is depth along the sides of the map so it feels bigger than Diablo 2, but the trees, rocks, chests, and all objects are poorly textured, and have rather piss poor Poll- counts. The characters look their best, and I use this word reluctantly, at the log-in screen. Even here the textures are very poor, and the overall models weak. This game looks like it was released in 2004-2005. ( -2 )

Sound: Awesome! Voice acting: Really good. ( +1 ) Environment: The game is too colourful and pleasant for the story line it purports. The game is about death, sacrifice, evil, horror, terror etc. Sure have the parts colourful when this emphasises the nature of the level, but when you are in the midst of a supposed living nightmare. It doesn't fly. ( - 1 )

Interface: easy to navigate, they think of all the little things that could make life annoying and didn't commit those sins, but these are little things and spit/polish, so can't earn a lot of points. ( +1 )

Skills: Some skills are simply useless compared to others, there is very little in the description to the exact numerical effect on damage, evasion, resistance, etc. So you have to activate a skill with your stat menu open to see exactly how good or pathetic a skill is. It should be as simple as putting your mouse cursor over a skill and see (grants a +7.87% evasion at your current level... for example). (-1 )

If my math serves me right this is an aggregate of -5 to the original starting score of 10. So I rank this game a 5/10.
  29. May 21, 2012
    The inability to play offline, repetitive gameplay, predictable plot and sub-par graphics not to mention numerous bugs and connection issues have led me to give this game a 0/10 simply as a way to show my frustration.
  30. May 21, 2012
    I found D3 a great disappointment. The need of a permanent internet connection to play a single player game is absurd. I think they could find a way (offline for single player and online if u want to play with others ppl). In my opinion from this point of view Valve is way above Blizzardâ
  31. May 21, 2012
    Why Diablo 3 is a failure:

Let's start with the guts of the game, the mechanics and work our way to the less important, but still relevant things they got wrong as well.

1.) Skill system/stat allocation system: Where is it? It doesn't feel like Diablo without it, plain and simple. It feels cheap, unrewarding, and lame. If I roll a hardcore character I might want to put more into
    vitality. Maybe they could have IMPROVED upon the d2 system, we all know it wasn't perfect. Maybe runes to augment the skills/synergies?

2.) B.net 2.0 - Yet another step backwards, we could have had a beautiful chat room set up with our characters at the bottom of the screen, both matchmaking games to quickly get you in the action and open games (like "act 1 start" etc.) 4 players in a game? 4? Diablo 2 allowed more in a game, doesn't that feel wrong? Hell WoW had 5 in a party, 4 max in a party wouldn't even let me play in a game with my 4 other friends...

3.) RMAH - Just because you can choose to ignore it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Join a pvp arena to have someone who bought all their gear kick your ass. Sounds fun. Lets not oversight the lack of world pvp, no more getting on your lvl 94 alt and kicking some lvl 30 gankers ass. Oh thats right nobody can even hostile in town. Enjoy your WoW arena matches. Maybe there will be pillars to line of sight around, weeee.

4.) Health globes: No no no no. I don't want my life to be dependant on an arcade-ish chance to drop health on the ground. It's **** potions in d2 were not great, but there was some micromanagement to it. It once again could have been improved upon. In path of exile (another ARPG showing some promise) They made the potions recharge on your belt, and potions could be blue, having stats like instant recovery/ 30% increased run speed during potion duration. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this.

5.) Graphics/feel: It's not Diablo 2's next of kin, It is WoW's next of kin. Diablo 2 was full of dungeons with mutilated bodies on torture racks, demons lingering in the dark cursing in demonic tongue. It felt visceral and dangerous. Diablo 3 feels like a loot romp through bland green-tinted grass. Blue and purple dungeons, yessss, great job Diablo 3 developers, really captured terror there. Diablo 2 was Raiders of the Lost Ark and Diablo 3 is Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. As far as inferno goes it seems like they turned up the difficulty knob to make the game more "hardcore." Too bad when the game mechanics suck it's not even fun.

1/10 and if you disagree, i'm sure you're one that's looking forward to mysts of pandaria as well. RIP Blizzard not going to reward you for alienating your fan base and ruining your game series with poor money-influenced game design choices.
  32. May 21, 2012
    I just finished normal mode and made it into the next playtrue, however I don't feel like playing much more. (got maybe 8 hour gameplay.) Reasons are mixed, but it generally is summed up as the game looking and feeling like it should have been made in 2005 or 2006. It's simply not worth the price. Try getting Magicka or Torchlight II instead, which is both cheaper and in my view better.
  33. May 22, 2012
    This is a huge disappointment for all hardcore gamers.The major problem is simplified casual gameplay oriented on non-gamers. And its complement with lots of minor issues from absurd DRM policy to outdated graphics and step back in terms of general design.
  34. May 22, 2012
    It has been over a week now since i started playing this game, and i have yet to finish it. reason? lag. oh I'm playing it by myself, but thanks to blizzards 'always online' DRM, along with their horrible servers, i literally can not make it 5 minutes into the game without losing connection or rubber-banding into my death... yes, ive died many times in this game, because of lag and only because of lag. I'm literally stuck at the final boss dieing over and over again because all of a sudden my connection will drop out and 30+ seconds later, the servers catch back up, bringing my death with it. is it my computer? no, im not new to PC gaming, i can play almost every modern game out there, max settings, DX11, tessellation on high, physx, etc. is it my internet connection? no, again, im not new to PC gaming. i can spend entire afternoons in games like TF2 or L4D with no troubles at all. aside from the horrible first week this game has been having with the servers, a new problem is now occurring. a massive amount of people are having their accounts hacked and their items and gear stolen. all of this because in a few weeks Blizzard wants to open up a Real-Money Auction House. This game-item theft concept isnt new, for anyone who's ever played an MMORPG before. Long story short, save your money. this game is barely playable. when it is, it is a fun game, not as good as Diablo2, but still good. however im still giving it a low score because Blizzard demands that their horrible servers be a part of your experience. Expand
  35. May 22, 2012
    Horrible waste of money, when the servers are actually online they are abysmally slow.
    Doesn't help that I've been looking forward to this game for years...
  36. May 23, 2012
    You can see Blizzard's merging of their IPs in this game. It takes graphical, interface, and gameplay elements from WoW and SCII. I don't like this and how it ends up effecting things that we've come to like in the Diablo series such as the depth of character customization like a classic RPG. You can't distribute your skill points, yes it makes things more simple, but it points back to WoW and SC, the merging of these elements probably saves money (or at least allocates it for other things that may or not be improvements) but it takes away from the soul/character of the original. D3 was probably built on the SC 2 game engine..I don't want it to feel like SC! The story was a travesty, two major characters were killed off and in a cheesy cut scenes. The acts had similar environments as D2, (desert, jungle, forest, hell-ish) which was fine I suppose. No open world PvP? A WoW auction house? Sorry, I have such mixed emotions about it right now that I can't put it into words, I almost feel like I shouldn't have even played it because I can't erase the bad parts! could only wish for my memory to be erased and Blizzard to do proper justice to the game. I don't even want to play through again because it's so depressing. You go back 6 years and SC, WoW and D2 felt like DIFFERENT GAMES, now it's just a mix of all, over simplified and ...ugh so frustrating!

I did like the graphics and sound but I found that sometimes the journals, voices and character interaction sound levels varied a lot so I found myself adjusting the sound here and there.
  37. May 23, 2012
    It's an extremely stripped down and dumbed down version of Diablo 2. I suspect the game was purposely made the way it is so they could make money off the real money auction house. The fact that you are required to be online on their servers 100% of the time was just a terrible idea. It's very painful to see a series I loved so much to be ruined by moments of server lag, outages and mid-game disconnects. It really ruins the story aspect of the game when you're fighting Diablo for the first time and just before you kill him you get disconnected from the server. People were giving advice and begging for the better part of a year on the beta forums for small changes to be made and were completely ignored. The game was actually more complex back then and they ended up stripping it down to make it easier to play to the general audience. Only very small amounts of the game are randomized now. Most outdoor areas and dungeons are 95% similar every time you go through them.

The gear is just terribly done. Played through the game till act 3 of hell before I found a single unique (still no set items) and I was happy that it was a fist weapon for my monk. It was junk and I sold it at auction for cheap. Rare items drop very frequently and often are much better than the best set or unique items.

The boss monsters are jokes. Really. With a decent build and life steal as a monk you can stand and just punch Diablo in hell mode and you will rarely see your health dip below 80%. Meanwhile the elite mobs in act 1 will tear you apart before you can attack them.

I haven't played enough to really say anything about the balance issues in inferno or with other classes, so I'm not going to comment on that.

All being said, the game IS fun. $60 fun? Not really. As a successor to Diablo 2? Mediocre at best. Ignoring how much 'effort' they put into the whole game hub with the auction house, the game feels like a $20 indie game you'd find on Steam that you'd seriously consider buying but then would decide to wait until it was on sale for at least 33% off.
  38. May 23, 2012
    This is pathetic. The game play is a good but dumbed down version of Diablo II. The problem is the Online DRM battle net accounts. Not just because it is annoying to have to always be online and their servers are **** that can't handle the demand that they knew was coming, but because Blizzard is notorious for having piss poor protection of their customers accounts. My account has been hacked and all my Gold stolen. I would be understanding if blizzard had customer service that was ready to fix the problem, but they are disgustingly understaffed. They are not taking care of the ****ty service they are forcing me to take part of. I would consider it "whining" if they forced me to take part in their service that they were able to provide, but they aren't even doing that. It's been a week, and this is just **** sad. Expand
  39. May 23, 2012
    Diablo II was a Diablo sequel made for Diablo fans. Everything about it was bigger, badder, better. Diablo II is clearly a Diablo game made for WoW fans. Clearly the core ethos of Blizzard Entertainment has dissolved in to the ether. It's barely more than a naked money grab. The video game version of the Star Wars prequals. Or just another version of Dragon Age II.

What's actually
    new here? Simplified skill system that takes away meaningful choice. Obelisks that transport you out of dungeons. No TP scrolls, no need to go to town to identify rares. Cash-based auction house. "Lore" bits that play audio over the top of the game itself (after popping out of the same stupid satchel), making it clear that you aren't role playing or adventuring here, you're controlling an avatar in a video game. Everything new is designed to make the game more accessible to casual gamers and easier to monetize. This is made perfectly clear by the need to have half of the dialogue be a retelling of 1 & 2. In the short term, I'm sure they made decisions that will help the bottom line. In the long term, this is how brands get destroyed. But I guess if you're an executive these days, it's all about getting your quick buck and leaving the consequences to the next guy. Expand
  40. May 24, 2012
    I have been waiting for Diablo III for a very long time, now the moment of truth has arrived and I am mildly disappointed. Even though I was not able to customize my skill trees like its predecessor, it still gave me 5 different class to choose from and eventually they will add more in the coming expansion. The worst part of this game is the always online DRM. Server goes down I can't play, high latency I can't play. No internet I can't play, It would have been better if I can have an offline mode separate from the online. I just want to play this game even if it has to authenticate online everytime I play it, it would be ok but constantly online is a fail. Expand
  41. May 24, 2012
    My Play Experience Based on a Timeline of Events as an original diablo 1 and diablo 2 / LOD player in north America : Launch Night 10:30pm - Arrived in Line Excited to get Collectors edition preorder Midnight Launch Eve - Got my copy and raced home to insert serial number Everything Accomplished Go to Bed to wake up early and play. Start my demon hunter around 930 am played for a couple hours servers are down.

Continue playing with several server down moments all the way through normal difficulty exploring everything and going through all of the semi-boring repetitive lore. Day 3 - Beat Diablo 3 on normal and begin to explore the problem plagued auction house and start to notice several other bugs in the game.

Day 4 - About halfway through nightmare, Game has lost its fun and feels like Im grinding for no reason what so ever anymore. No Real World PvP, WoW style auction house and lack of character customization.
    Day 6 - After a break decide to go back and play some more with friends, beat nightmare and began hell...yet still terribly disappointed with the game, beat nightmare and move to hell difficulty. Game play begins to require more strategy with groups and FORCED switching of skills to beat certain mobs and bosses. Beginning to see no real reason for the black smith as its redundant when the auction house is faster and sometimes cheaper also noticed that the way MF works has changed since diablo 2 and some stats are broken / read incorrectly with certain items equipped. Game keeps dropping me when I minimize for several seconds, making adjustments to my TDP and UDP drop settings on the router seemed to have fixed this a bit.
    Day 7- Playing with my buddy and a higher level friend both having decently high MF after a friend that was outside our level range joined our game we noticed a significant decrease in yellow drops for that difficulty especially when none of us have beaten said bosses or champion mobs before, asked him to leave the game to try and see if him being outside the level range of the mobs effected the drop rate (AKA like an MMO where mobs are non-colored or GREYED out due to level range and do not drop loot anymore) did not seem to fix the problem. Only after everyone quitting the game and creating a new party was the problem rectified. Also took note that during peak game play hours rare drops seemed to happen less (Probably so the auction house doesn't get flooded and a ratio is kept especially since only 10 items are allowed on the AH at a time.)

Day 9 - Jumped online at an off peak time to test theory of rare drop ratio. So far evidence would dictate that it is true rare drop rates are lower during peak game play hours. Going to continue testing this theory without changing any gear and repetitively doing the same general quest / area with the same person as before.

My experience of the game so far ...
    1 Graphics : Really loved the first play through even though the graphics were stolen from WoW except I give mad props to the implemented physics engine. The graphics are definitely not as evil feeling and dark as the original games which saddens me alot. I feel as though its diablo painted over WoW...and (SPOILER) **Whats up with this **** **** Pony Level? I was hoping for a cow level not some colorful pony level that hurts my eyes.** Fail on the graphics blizzard. 2. Sound: No complainants here really. Voice actors were good, I do think that some of the voice overs we WAYY to stereo-typical. Could have done a better job on the sound of some of the attacks and creatures for sure. BOSSES ESPECIALLY.

3. Single Player Experience: Non Existent ; I did try to play the game solo when friends were not online, its way to easy. If you started playing multi player with friends you will no doubtly be geared better than soloists and it makes game play cheesy and boring.

4. Multi player Game play : LAG LAG LAG , Having said that I have a good rig and great connection. Blizzard still has alot of kinks to work out. With a lacking choice in character classes and the lacking of a customizable skill tree instead of this forced style only allowing you to switch skills to certain buttons or hot keys to make you use "Strategy" for killing certain mobs in hell or inferno difficulty. A promised feature of PvP that was never released sadly hopefully it will soon especially if it only takes an average player 2 weeks of solid play to easily "Twink" out a level 60 character, I am not looking forward to the real currency auction house and arena based combat, I believe this will kill the game except for the WoW fanatics that will still be playing.

Overall : Score - 3.5ish

I give them points for trying but money was on they're mind when they made the game and it was obviously rushed into production. I would have never guessed that they spent 4 years making this game. A new player to the franchise would even recognize that this was a poorly made game.
  42. Jul 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3. A game i had a lot of hopes for. When diablo 2 was still new and shiny, it was a MUST for me and many of my friend's, i remember before going to school at morning i stopped by a classmate...We played some cow runs and then went to school together, chatting all the way about how good the game is. Enough of that. I'll go trough some pointers about the game.

Story - Most important factor for me when choosing a singleplayer (This game does not have community and playing with friend's is not a benefit since you can only fit few of em)...Well story was bad, very bad...Not just a favorite "good" guy got turned into human like in B-Type Hollywood movie "You guys suck, i save humanity by going weak!" and other one died.

Gameplay & Difficulty - Gameplay was very nice for a while. After i hit lvl 60 i realized i was playing a very polished experience of "run trough everything". It was fun to get exp and unlock new stuff. After 60 rapidly everything is dumbed down. You don' get experience, you don't get new skills, no attributes and only way to progress you'r character is to get more items. I reached act 3 inferno. It was pretty challenging...It did not test my skills how i can time my spells or how can i ditch damage before an object hits me. It tested how good i can run and do few hits, then run even more...Do enough dmg in 5min's or start over.

Items & AH - Items...Legendary/Set item's has nice stats. Some of em has quite nice affixes...They are not very useful though...This game revolves around having very high dps weapon and as much of main stat you can muster. Then it's same old critical chance, critical damage and attack speed. So when you look for an item, you need same stat's you are having on you'r character right now, but with improved versions. Blizzard said that you don't need to go to ah/Rmah in order to progress...Well on my quest to find awesome items that will carry me trough inferno act 2...I farmed a lot and only found several good item's...For someone else. So natural progression...It's doable...If you'r butt can hold enough to farm same act for hours and hours...

My real review:

This game is made for people who like's to grind same thing over and over without having no benefit if possibility for some real money cash is not counted for. You'r character wont progress and character will never be a unique in ways it was in Diablo 2. Everything is set the second you create an character and there is no customization (You can ink you'r gear, unless you like legendary quality....). I highly recommend for a person who isn't looking a game that last's long. Play the game trough and forget the thing...You will be satisfied, as a person who was looking for a game to play long time....Well let's just say i was stupid enough to fall for the trick that Blizzard can make awesome sequel. Graphics are okay in my opinion, sadly it's 2012 when they could push harder for better quality. But it's known fact that blizzard sacrifices graphics quality in order to get more people into the games. I learned my lesson...I will not buy a another blizzard product unless i see all fact's about the game. This game was unplayable for some time and looking at it's future it wont be a game most of us hoped it would be.
  43. May 24, 2012
    I'm over 20 hours into the game and I am severely disappointed. The game has some upsides like: the storyline (nothing amazing, but still good), the controls (very simple to grasp and entertaining), the animations (feel powerful/quick), quickly joining friends games, and the skill system (easy to change and experiment with).

However, the bad FAR outweighs the good. - First is connectivity
    (DRM). I'm OK with it being online, but they need to stabilize the servers. I have a higher-end, very solid system with high-speed cable internet and I still get disconnects, huge latency spikes, and game crashes (2 of which have caused me to lose loot from a boss).
    - Second (related to DRM) is the hacked accounts. While many users are at fault for hacked accounts, this would never be an issue if there wasn't DRM required.
    - Third is the graphics. They are decent and I understand that they are marketing to all systems and not just top-end, but they look worse than WoW which is almost 10 years old. How can we have gorgeous games like Skyrim out there with games still being released that look like D3!?
    - Fourth, huge lack of features. Can't break apart chat channels, disorganized friend's listings, terrible searching/sorting capability of AH, etc. There are so many of these basic features they could have ported over from WoW and they would have been perfect but right now they're just garbage.

This game feels like an Indie game that was developed in about a year or two, not a big 'box office' hit with 8+ years in the making. Fun, but a long way to go to be a 'good game'.
  44. May 24, 2012
    ........ 1/10 OVERALL score. This game is LITERALLY terrible. fun game to play, yes. but not for long. the internal story and shallow thought that put this game together is mediocre. and with 10+ years? all they did was make Diablo 2 for those with IQ of 50 or below and add better graphics and new characters...
  45. May 25, 2012
    Why a zero? I dont even know where to start. Diablo 2 is the best game of all time, i grew up playing DIablo 2 religiously, I played hardcore and developed several players 95+! This game is more WoWed up than anything Diablo 3 should have been. BIG FAIL on Blizzard.
  46. May 25, 2012
    D3 totally the worst game this year, less than half of characters' skills are usable, classes unbalance, and bugs (item copying, directly open treasure chests), and WTF the boss Diablo's attack pattern is completely copy form D2!!!! Also the game difficulty, most people beat the game at launch day and they now tune the game harder / nerf characters, do dev think this is fun?? fxxk you blizzard
  47. May 25, 2012
    I am not commenting on any server-related issue as it is irrelevant to the gameplay itself. Graphics do not determine how good a game is, only how modern it is. These are the main issues with the game. Your weapon-damage is increased by 1% for each point in your primary stat (E.g. Strength for Barbarians, Dexterity for Monks and Demon Hunters and Intelligence for Witch Doctor and Wizard). This makes this the most treasured stat in a strong character, and survivability being secondary. Occasionally, you find randomly created items with a set number of random attributes, all of these are worthless unless they have a massive amount of your primary stat, or directly increased weapon-damage. Finding optimal items are hard, I like that (+1), but, finding legendary items that have been specifically designed for your character, level and playing style is much harder and when you finally do, that weapon is bound to end up on the 'Auction House' as there are always randomly created items that have better properties. How did it become so primitive that so few stats matter to a player? I personally believe it's because they removed the 'skill tree'-system they had in the previous games. We used to find items with rarer attributes like +1 to , which would boost all the stats of that specific skill, sometimes it would increase all skills under a specific tree, or all skills in general... there is no replacement for this. Players realize this and can easily buy mid-level legendary items after simply collecting 'gold' from level 1 till 10. In short, finding a legendary item does not provide any kind of joy, as they are worthless and have inferior stats to many randomly created items. There is also the matter of unbalance. Surely, anyone who has entered either of the 2 hardest difficulties agree that 'elite mobs' (general enemies that have rare attributes to make them extraordinary) are harder than the actual bosses, they have the capabilities to slay your character with one blow and survive hundreds of blows, making them deadlier than the end-bosses on the same difficulty. Glitches/Bugs/Exploits Haven't seen many of them, they are quickly patched (+1). Experimenting with broken mechanics by sinking unnatural amounts of points into non-primary stats, making characters overpowered by other means is unrewarding, as this is always fixed. All characters are apparently supposed to be the same and follow a strict meta-build (-1). The biggest issue (in my opinion). This game was made for World of Warcraft fans, not for Diablo fans, this is seen and felt through each and every (but in different amounts) aspect of the game. That's understandable, World of Warcraft had a bigger playerbase than Diablo, except we all hate it when the greed for money is more important than the experience itself. They trust money, not fans. This is not the first time Activision Blizzard let their players down for the sake of money, it's seen in Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Starcraft 2, Modern Warfare 3, Diablo 3 and we will probably see the same **** in Black Ops 2. In conclusion, it's a shallow game; Under the hood, under all the visuals and other distractions, in it's core - this game is as mentally stimulating as throwing a frisbee by yourself, oh, it's also designed for WoW fans, not Diablo fans. In any crowd, I could point out at least 3 people that could say what they could have done to easily increase customer satisfaction. Congratulations Blizzard, you have gone full retard. This article has the score adjusted, the previous post was set at a 0 score, while I meant to give Diablo 3 it's justified 1 out of 10. Expand
  48. May 25, 2012
    My original review exeeded 5000 characters so I'm just going to break it down. Combat feels good but one dimensional enemies make it a less satisfying experience. Boring and unimpressive item system. Difficulties in the game are all gear checks. No new mechanics in higher difficulties. Monsters don't get new spells or attacks (with the exception of elites and their affixes).
    Elite monster affixes are boring with most of them being aoe area control spells that force you to run away.

Game is short with linear maps that have minuscule randomisation and waypoints are given to you automatically in certain points of the story. Exploration becomes pointless and unrewarding.

Long cool down timers ruin the pace of the game.

Many skills and skill runes are useless and are not viable in the endgame.

Endgame forces you to go certain builds just to survive, killing build diversity.

Gold sinks are pointless and expensive. (Jeweller and Blacksmith)

Disappearing text in chat box is annoying.

Private messaging is clunky and slow, further ruining the pace of the game.

Script is cheesy and poorly written.

Story characters feel like tag alongs.
  49. May 26, 2012
    Beat the game fast and leveled faster than Diablo 2, inferno is impossible for a barbarian, this game actually wants you to buy the items in the AH since all drops are for your alternate characters since the levels for them are lower than yours, this game sucks I went and got a refund, sticking to diablo 2 until Torchlight 2 releases. Good Riddance!
  50. May 27, 2012
    Blizzard obviously spent more time developing the monetization scheme of this mediocre game than they did focusing on the player experience. What should be a stellar Single player/ Coop action RPG experience feels more like a cheap free 2 play/ pay to win MMO treadmill. Farming and crafting are worthless as you level. Everything you find or craft at a given level is pathetic compared to what you will buy on the AH. The game is designed to herd frustrated players to the real money auction house where you can give your money to hackers, gold farmers, and exploiters to get the gear you need to get to the next act...and Blizzard will take a cut. Story, gameplay, and graphics are mediocre- really uninspired.
    Server issues and security issues should be an embarrassment to Blizzard, which has had more than enough time and resources to sort things out. Really shabby work and a waste of the Diablo name. Blizzard continues to disappoint.
  51. May 28, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a disgrace to Diablo series . Ah and no game browser or chat just destroyed the social aspect of D3 . Yes Diablo 3 has 0 social aspect in it . The loot and the wow style loot progression are really really bad idea. Equip stats are boring . The story is bad and to scripted and delivered in WoW style.
  52. May 28, 2012
    Sad face. :( That's really the only way to sum this up. Save yourself 40 dollars and get Torchlight II instead. Or get 3 copies of Torchlight II instead of buying this. Why would you even pay $60 for a game anyway? All the games I have hundreds and hundreds of hours logged on (besides the 1 mmo I ever seriously played) cost me $20 or under and are much higher quality and better maintained than most $60 throwaway titles whose sole reason for being is to rake in cash. (Call of Duty's modern warfare series comes to mind as the most recent example of this.) Expand
  53. May 29, 2012
    Stay awhile and listen: "I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back Deckard Cain dies I want my money back I want my money backI want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money backI want my money back I want my money backI want my money back" Those critics are smoking pole or weed. This game is not worth 60 bucks, 30 tops. Expand
  54. Jun 7, 2012
    Auction house ruins the game. always-on DRM is outrageous. Over simplification of the skill and attribute systems. Skills lack of originality and diversity.No charms, few gems that have very limited effects. No way to specialize the character in a way or another, all lvl 60 barbarians will be the same, the only thing that will differ will be equipment. Very disappointed, would have preferred by far a refurbished Diablo II than all this crappy changes and simplifications.
    Diablo3, except for the graphics parts, looks like a bad draft of diablo II. Blizzard is going backwards.
  55. Jun 13, 2012
    Considering the hype for this game and the large fan base looking forward to its release with huge expectations, disappointment was to be anticipated in some form. The always online thing is a bummer, for starters, but that is nothing that surprised me out of Blizzard. What did surprise me was the startling mediocrity of the game in terms of visual style, sound and voices, in-game videos and quest design. These things are tolerable, although I personally hate the way everything out of Blizzard is becoming more and more cartoony and World-of-Warcraft-looking. The storytelling on the other hand is not mediocre - it's frankly terrible. Where the fascinating background lore could have been worked into an enticing, mysterious storyline, it was not. The characters are simply laughable. I really hated listening to most of them. Opponents like the "Lord of Lies" will be so daft, I found myself wondering what the target age group for the game actually is.

Yes, Diablo 3 is fun if you play through it once, maybe level up to 60 and go hunting for some gear if that's your thing, but personally I will put it on the shelf for now. I've spent my money on worse games though, so 5 out of 10 is about right.
  56. Jun 18, 2012
    Diablo itself was raped repeatedly with a blunt object maybe someone blinded her and she couldn't find the players, it has to be one of the worst boss fights of all time, and why bother, when she dies she just spits out some crappy vendor loot. This game was designed for idiots who don't know how to control their money, it may as well have been a slot machine with pretty lights...

Thanks to Diablo 3 I went looking for another game, I discovered the guys who made Diablo 1 and 2 and checked out their Torchlight series I didn't buy Torchlight one since it was a single player game, but it came free with a pre order of Torchlight 2, and I must say I can really feel the difference between a game designed for the purpose of playing and game designed to take your money with your soul. This probably the weakest attempt of a company to copy a game made by guys who already left Blizzard to start their own company called Runic, had it not been for the poor story telling the laughable game mechanics where your spoon fed your class stats so there is no way in hell you can customise your class to assist your play style or difficulty its purely down to the loot, now while a lot of dungeon crawlers base formula is the loot at least the stats would give you an idea of what you can use to assist you.

Diablo 3 there is very little armour restrictions everyone wears the same armour and you basically run around trying to find the next best thing which is rare, rare items usually have opposing stats forcing you trade other players or since the last patch the stats are now even worse making most loot drops useless/unusable, this is what it looks like when a company rapes you for your money the game is stuck together with virtual ducktape. So much time is spent on things happening behind the scenes almost to try and distract you on how boring the game is.

Thank you Blizzard you have taught me to find the developers who make quality not the crap you trying to sell my you rest in pixels.
  57. Jun 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 proberly the worst hack and slash game ever created in history of gaming. Charecter customization has been dumbed down so much that every player is the same. The overall gameplay is boring and frustating as best. The game is designed so you have to pay real life money on there auction house to get gear. The days where you could kill endless stream of monsters to satisfy you gear needs are gone. Its really hard to belive its the same company that made Diablo and Diablo 2. Dont buy this crap game, waste of money. It do got nice graphic thats the reason why im giving it +1 Expand
  58. Jun 23, 2012
    I created an account on this site just to review this game. I'm going to break this post down by the pros and cons of this game and its developer. Pros: -better graphics -new classes -professions -cool animations -rune system diversity -porting to allies -identifying/porting fix -AH Cons: -online only -lack of story and short campaign -initial server problems (no excuse for that)
    -constant nerfs to gold/itemization outside of AH
    -RMAH
    -under powered professions

Overall the game felt more like an expansion. Whats really been pissing me off lately is how these developers are trying to find new ways to scheme more money out of people. Nowadays when I pay $60 for a game, generally you can expect 6-8 solid hours of gaming. This feels like a fraction of the time it took me to complete games back in the day AND they were less expensive. Now games have monthly fees, DLC which cost more $, the RMAH % cut, and all these other methods for making more money and giving us less of a game. Quite frankly I'm sick and tired of this ****

I was an avid player of D2 and had big expectations for D3. There was a big part of my problem right there, but why not expect big things? Blizz has the money, the talent, the fan base, and the time to create some solid games but here lately I'm just not seeing it.

I think the user review here isn't accurate but the professional critic reviews are equally as inaccurate. Out of the GBs of space Blizzard's games require you'd expect more out of this game. If you were content paying $60 just to play the game through once or twice then more power to you. But if your me you can't help but agonize at the bastardization from D2 to this wannabe D3.

For me video games are becoming like the movies. Create a hot trailer with a few big names which bring a certain revenue then insert the camera into someone's anal cavity and start filming and expect people not to download it. I'm sorry but I can't support these corporations who are going to put profit > product. If you have a good product the profit will always be there, but the emphasis needs to be on the product.

These companies are more concerned with getting away with the bare minimum to achieve maximum profit then have the audacity to sell us more stuff on the side that should have initially been included.
  59. Jun 24, 2012
    I have put about 80 hours in the wizard and have reached lvl 60. I am yet to be impressed.
    I had such high expectations for this game, and I have been let down.
    I kept playing I the hope that the game would get better, but sadly it did not.
    The game only get's marginally harder until "Inferno" which is the hardest Difficulty. which should be called Impossible. There are so many
    problems with D3, All the other USER reviews fully explain in detail.
    What Drives me crazy is all the Critic Reviews that seem to be paid advertising for blizzard.
    I wont pretend I know how to make a better game. In a word, "Rubbish"
  60. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a huge fan of the Diablo series (was 1 of my favorites) & logged countless hours playing the 1st 2 Diablo games. D3, however, is a terrible game in almost every imaginable way. Here's why not to buy D3:

1)Maps: essentially not randomly generated (as they have been in past games). Most areas are static (e.g. the overworld), & some are 'randomly generated' & have 2-4 possible layouts - these areas could be more accurately described as 'randomly chosen' from predetermined layouts. This is a big change from the infinite map layouts previous Diablo games could have.

2)No open world exploration/free play option. In addition to no random maps, gameplay is locked into quest progression. In D2, a player could start a game in any act & travel anywhere in that act or any other act. In D3 a player chooses a quest & creates a game based on that quest, having progressed through the act as if you were still on that quest. If you already killed a boss in the act, they remain dead. To travel to another act, the player must exit the game & create a new 1 by selecting a different quest.

3)The game is linear/mechanical/repetitive. Diablo games have previously been designed to be played for years after release (D2 online community is still sizable ). D3's lack of random maps quickly leads to areas becoming tedious/boring as they are so repetitive. Worse yet, quest objectives are shown as blinking dots on the minimap (as if you couldn't remember your way around after playing identical areas many times over) so you never have to think about what the objective is or which direction you should be heading. For the most part, all RPG elements have been removed from the series (which is supposed to be an action RPG).

4)Auction house: Many people argue it has ruined the game's economy, or that it promotes a pay-to-win playstyle. It is also the main way to trade in-game items & the UI is so terrible that it takes a very long time to do so.

5)Nephalem Valor: forces people to stick with a build for a long time or be punished - being forced to choose between more loot/rewards or more freedom/fun (i.e. being rewarded for having less fun - a game should promote fun). 6)Significantly increased item repair costs strongly discourage people from attempting difficult content which makes the game boring/monotonous. The repair costs don't affect people who already have lots of good gear & are farming acts 3/4 & punish people who don't have much gold & are just starting to gear up.

7)Elite mobs: designed to be what players farm for end-game items. These mobs have the same 25 randomly chosen abilities (up to 4 different affixes each encounter) across all 4 acts. For the most part every fight is similar/easy & it feels like you are running all over all 4 acts just so to engage in the same boss fight over & over again - there is little diversity between acts.

8)Story: absolutely terrible.

9)No end game content - nothing to keep players interested/playing for years to come.

10)Itemization/characterization: boring - classes are not unique/use the exact same items. Item affixes have been simplified/dumbed down. Affixes such as fire, lightning, holy, etc. damage no longer has secondary effects such as crits adding DoT, stunning targets, dealing extra damage to undead - they are instead completely cosmetic.

11)The game has a very cheesy/cartoony/family friendly art style (not referring to content) & has abandoned the more mature look of its predecessors. D3's artistic direction does not really allow for interesting/scary/whatever models of demons. 1 of the better models, Azmodan, was still less scary than Ursula from The Little Mermaid. Blizz said they think the game has a timeless, stylized, aesthetic (like they say about WoW.. but it's not suited to D3).

13)This game borrowed too much from WoW rather than from previous Diablo games.

12)No open world PvP. Diablo I & II had fun open world PvP. D3 will feature only arena PvP (whenever Blizz decides to finally add PvP).

14)The game looks, feels, & plays like a game from around 2005 - it's dated.

15)The game just generally feels rushed/incomplete (& in many ways is incomplete, e.g. no PvP at launch & no date set for when it will be implemented).

If you're not a fan of the Diablo series/looking to waste 20 hours or so - this game should keep you adequately entertained for that long. If you played Diablo I/II & are looking for another game to spend countless hours playing over many years, this is definitely not your game. D3 does not seem broken beyond repair, but I'm not sure Blizz is prepared to put in the necessary work. Some issues (e.g. map randomization) would be far too difficult to change at this point - developers have specifically said they will not be correcting this. Recommendation: check out D3 after it has seen a year or 2 of patching - it may be in a good state by then.
  61. Jul 19, 2012
    This Game ist Very Bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  62. Jul 20, 2012
    Diabl-WoW 3 : When a great game becomes a great chore. Grind grind grind. Well, grind again! Faster, you need money to buy stuff and you can sell stuff to make money. Money, money,money, bots, everywhere! Oh wait, where the fun again? Fun? What are you talking about, this is not a game this is a business. Forget about deep character devellopement and stiry, no time for that! Grind grind grind festival baby. Ah well, might just go back to D2 for some good fun. Waited all these years for that. What a shame. Randomized dungeons? Are you kidding me!? Not even close to D2. I played about 30 hours, Ive had some fun but not much. Time to go back to Indie Games. Big companies dont get it anymore, its all about money. Expand
  63. Jul 21, 2012
    The game doesn't reward you at all. You have to play like 50 hours just to get a decent item you can sell for 20$. This is below the minimum wage in China. Blizzard want to turn their player base into a slave labor, so they can make out like a bandit. This game is work, it's not a game it's work.
  64. Jul 23, 2012
    Game is fun for about 20-30hrs.
    Once you max character level the game becomes very shortsided. You stop having reason to grind except to get gold and buy SLIGHTLY better gear with SLIGHTLY better stats. Gear all looks the same and is a boring way to bring variables to statistics. Basically, it is a free game, but those who pay to play and buy gear/gold have the advantage...
    Of course you
    can grind it out and TRY to find decent gear.. but you'll find your self not farming for gear but for LARGE amounts of gold to buy 1 piece of gear... then rinse and repeat cycle. Graphics are good. Gameplay fundamentals are good. No replay value... nothing fun about it after the first 20-30hrs or when you max character.. Real money AH is a cool feature and you have the opportunity to make money. But its rare because most people don't buy gear for money, they buy GOLD for money, and then use the Gold to buy better gear on the AH. It's just a lame and vicious cycle that grows cold quickly. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BLIZZARD, Every game they have ever made I love. NOT THIS ONE THOUGH! REALLY BIG disappointment. Game flat out sucks after 20-30hrs. GG but try again Blizz. Expand
  65. Aug 2, 2012
    Too many nerfs and the auction house killed the game. Blizzard could just sll you any items they want throught the real money auction house and control the economy of it. Thank you Activision!
  66. Aug 5, 2012
    Most disappointing game I have ever played. I cannot recommend this game in its current state. Its fun going from level 1-60, but the end-game is the most terrible idea in gaming yet. The game engine purrs and combat is fun. I even enjoy the new build system. However, in the end the game feels like a scam. Every patch that has come out since release has made the game worse. You use to be able to find gear when you opened a chest but now that doesn't happen. You used to be able to die without paying ridiculously high repair costs, but now the game is nearly unplayable unless you farm for hours a day for gold or buy gold using real money in the RMAH (real money auction house). The drop rate of items is based of the AH(auction house with in game gold)/RMAH, so sometime in the middle of hell mode using the AH becomes nearly mandatory. By the time you get to inferno mode you MUST use the AH to progress, because the drop rates are abysmal. In inferno mode, with a level requirement of 60, monsters will most often drop gear less than 60 that is useless. The gear that is level 60 normally has useless stats that no one would ever want. People who succeed in this game use exploits in-game or in the AH. The game itself is filled with boters who exploit the AH and farm for gold. This makes gold prices on the AH ridiculously high, and making the game nearly unplayable for the average player. The abysmal drop rates, combined with the high repair costs all point players to the RMAH. The drop rate issue, along with the repair costs, and the RMAH have ruined the end-game. The game feels pay-to-win and this will only get worse once PVP is released (there is NO PVP currently) when people will pay $1000.00 to deck out their characters. The game feels more like a scam for your money than a form of entertainment. All my friends who were playing on release who have stopped playing. Besides all of the above reasons, cooperative (co-op) play is discouraged in the end-game as well. Even though its easy to join a game with your friends the massive HP boost the monsters get (110% per player joining) makes it more efficient to play solo. They used to get a massive damage boost too (which made it absolutely impossible to play co-op) luckily they removed that. However, there is a five buff limit in the game which a person could reach easily on solo mode. This means that the buffs you're friends give you will either cancel out a buff you wanted to have or have no effect. Likewise, any public game you join in inferno mode will 99% of the time end up facing a nearly impossibly randomly generated elite pack and thus dying over and over again... again increasing repair costs and making you farm lower content for gold to continue playing or paying real money for gold. There are more reasons I have no included like lack of PVP, consistent lag issues, no off-line mode, lack of customization, and lack of real randomization but I'll stop here. Basically, this game feels like a $60 scam to try to rip you off of more of your money. I have no confidence that they will improve the game. Look into other forms of entertainment for your $60. This is not the sequel to Diablo 2 we have been waiting for; It is the most disappointing game of 2012. Expand
  67. May 8, 2013
    DO NOT BUY, Waste of money.
    YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
    Wish I had listened and not wasted my time and money,
    never purchasing anything from Blizzard again.
  68. May 15, 2012
    I can't play the game, I get some error code - server busy or somethng like that. I thought the game had single player campain, that's why I got? I try to contact tech support but the site is down or timeout. My friends told me Blizzards is the great game company - get game, I feel very disappoint now - just waste my money and can't play it :(
  69. May 15, 2012
    Pretty fun gameplay, but the requirement to be always online is ridiculous. If someone is torrenting on your network, enjoy the high ping for both the singleplayer and multiplayer experiences.
  70. May 15, 2012
    Unfortunately the graphics look dated and the game breaking bug is terrible. DRM ruined everything. The first level is nice, but then you realize that something is wrong. At some point, spaghetti got out from the main character, and they get on the floor and walk the dinosaur.
  71. May 15, 2012
    Designer Shigeru Miyamoto once said that the first 30 minutes of a game are the most important. So I hope youâ
  72. May 15, 2012
    Sadly i was expecting a better game. No character customization, no more attribute points to distribute, which would easily make the game a little deeper. And skills unlock automatically... this is a disaster.
    It seems like blizzard released their second bad game. First one was the world of warcraft.
  73. May 15, 2012
    Within the first few hours, it is obvious to see why so many are disappointed with something that was hyped up so much. Even if you ignore the DRM, the lag and the disconnections (as it is the first day), the game lacks any rpg substance that made the previous titles so good. Among other things, there is no depth in the way skills are managed, no attribute points, no customization what so ever (and by this I mean in any way, as everyone will have the same build as you),, and you can't even use your primary weapon to attack (that's right, it's just for show). Even if we ignore these, the game itself it just boring relative to other RPGs. Diablo 2, a 13 year old game, is actually much funner to play than this. If you're looking for a good sequel to Diablo, a true rpg game, or even a game that has any play value, I would highly recommend to look past this, it is definitely not up to scratch. And if you don't know where to go after reading this, I urge you to try the game dark souls, it is a brilliant rpg. Expand
  74. May 15, 2012
    Let me start by saying that I wanted to like this game SO MUCH... But unfortunately, I feel like I'm walking out of Star Wars Episode I all over again... Requiring internet connectivity is inexcusable, particularly when you cannot support the traffic. Blizzard should know better... That aside, the game itself is a let down for Diablo fans. The gameplay is simplified to the extent where it's unrecognizable to its heritage, and the lack of ability to customize your character is sad. Blizzard missed a HUGE opportunity here by trimming the story down to a FPS length -- The gameplay is super short, and the acting/VOs are laughable. (insert frowny face) Expand
  75. May 15, 2012
    Just completed normal, and half of nightmare, its boring and all about crafting, no fun, no cool items, noo cool monsters, music is boring, graphics are old. Giving one for old blizzard reputation.
  76. May 15, 2012
    First of all I have to admit that I only played the beta. The things I noticed:
    1. Always-on-DRM: seriously? Why do I need to be online in order to play a game in singleplayer mode? This means I can't play Diablo 3 if I'm on the road/vacation/literally everywhere where I don't have access to the internet. Good call Blizz.
    2. Casualization: So they decided to remove skillpoints, introduced
    achievements, auto-identify objects, town-portal button, removed the Horadrim cube, no PvP, etc. This list goes on. What I want to say with this is that by removing/introducing these features you removed the chance for the gamers to have a real challenging experience of the game. Of course there's still the Inferno mode, but as you have no control over your character besides the items you wear this is dumb. But I think the reason why they decided to do this will be shown in my 3rd point.
    3. Real-money auction house: WTF? You earn at least $1 for every transaction. When did you become so greedy? Right, it started with WoW, introducing mounts for $15 and this stuff. If this works for WoW then it'll work for SC2 (3 different games) and Diablo 3 as well. Hey, if the people are still buying it you would be dumb to not do this. Making the most money with the least effort was always the goal. So just convince the people that that what you're doing is the right thing and they'll believe you and buy this stuff.
    4. WoW-like experience: It starts with the engine which pretty much looks the same as the engine used in WoW. The textures and interface could also be from that game. Since Blizzards acquisition from Activision this company went down. This is only my opinion, people might or might not share it, but since WoW I've been watching the transition from Blizzard to greedy Activision/Blizzard and I'm boycotting every of there games until they change back to their old standards.
  77. May 15, 2012
    I didn't wait 12 years for forced online DRM with **** servers that boot your ass out every 15 minutes and pay2win RMAH.

0/10 **** casualcore wouldn't play again.
  78. May 15, 2012
    This may be worth a higher score someday but as it's currently unplayable due to the DRM measures Blizzard think "enhance the player experience" at the moment it's right in the unplayable piece of **** category
  79. May 15, 2012
    Why is this game named Diablo? The have successfully destroyed what made Diablo 1 & 2 great. They should have named it Call of Demon. This is like Call of Duty meets Diablo. Garbage game... I beat it in 3.5 hours. This is the most dumbed down game ever. Took the week off work for nothing...
  80. May 15, 2012
    If this is not your first blizzard game, you should have known better. I have never seen a single smooth Blizzard launch. People are giving this game 0 scores while they haven't even played it, they are just raging and spoiled 12 year olds who can't play their game after their day of school, or people acting like them. I have currently played 4-5 hours into the story, and I really enjoyed myself, that is what I base my score on. Expand
  81. May 18, 2012
    i didnt wanted another diablo 1 or 2, i wanted something improved. is not the case here. for example starcraft 1 is like sc 2 but sc2 has a much faster gameplay focused on micro, is more modern, diablo 3 is not moder, is a diablo 2 more simplified. for example i dont understand why does the unidentified items exist as long as you just right click on them and they auto-identify. they should have focused on something else to make the gameplay more interesting, not just killing monsters, thats boring and should have been just a necessity, just a step towards something more interesting, like upgrading your hero or something. learn new tricks/skills/jobs, etc. in this moment i see diablo 3 as a flash-zombie-killing-game with a better graphics and atmosphere. kind of lame, is nothing modern about that. not even the search for items is not the same, you just buy them. disappointing Expand
  82. May 15, 2012
    No offline play and the biggest and unforgibable flaw, no LAN option ! I have fond memories of D2 playing with friends in LAN, yet the sequel won't allow me to play with a real friend (not an internet "friend"). I really thought they would implement this before release, but they didn't and that's a shame. In the end, money wins, player looses, because these choices, however they are presented, were solely dictated by the willingness (necessity?) to make more profit. Expand
  83. May 15, 2012
    Amazing game! Sure, the wait was brutal, but once I got on, I was blown away! Anyone saying that they've beat it in 4-6 hours is trolling you. Same thing goes for people saying it's too easy. They have no concept of the Hell, Nightmare, and Inferno difficulties. Sure, the game is easy when it's on easy mode. My only regret is that I had to work today (it was also a tad too expensive for my taste).
  84. May 15, 2012
    Exelent game, but kids should learn how to wait for something, how to fix their crap PCs to avoid errors, and how to calm the **** down when Blizz having a maintenance.
  85. May 15, 2012
    Got to play it a bit earlier today, but completely fails now. The fact that they don't bother to prepare for this launch is disturbing and shows complete lack of respect for their customers.
  86. May 15, 2012
    Graphics are a VERY slight update from Diablo2, yet it runs nowhere near as smoothly on a computer with well over 4 times the processing power. The game play is literally only about 5 hours long, with some completing the game start to finish in just over 2 hours. Character system is dull and unimaginative. Skills are entirely too WoW-based. Bottom line, this game is fanfare. It only passes because it is "Diablo" and people accept it for nostalgic purposes. It costs about $60; and this is for a game that is 2-5 hours long. many indie games I purchase on steam have more than 2-3 times the play time for a play through, cost about 1/4 - 1/3 as much, and have originality to them.
    Bottom line- it is a bland, unfinished, ill conceived game. I would wait at the bare minimum 9-12 months and buy the GOTY edition for $30 and it is fully patched.
  87. May 15, 2012
    Piracy and console gaming has truly destroyed the PC gaming industry and Diablo 3 is just a horrific example of developers greed for making money.Diablo 3 is absolute piece of crap and i'd prefer the original diablo 2 billion times over it.Firstly the always online drm truly deprives you to even start that game and once luckily you get to play the SP then you for sure shed tears thinking "THERE GOES MY 60$" Gameplay is repititive,most of the customization elements found in diablo 2 are gone.The game is just a crappy remake of diablo 2 to satisfy developers money greed. DIABLO 3 IS A COMPLETE FIASCO.Stay Away from this one! Expand
  88. May 15, 2012
    Worst game launch i ever could imagine! We waited for that game for 12 years and all we get no is sucky DRM policy that due to bad hservers not powerfull enough servers gives us no choice but to sit and wait to play SIBGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN atleast for the mother of god freaking love...
  89. May 15, 2012
    Wank poor performance by Blizzard/Activision. Force us to be always be connected to their servers to combat, "Piracy", but fail to have enough servers to cope. I guess they all ready have our money, so they win and we lose. Should not be allowed.
  90. May 15, 2012
    Blizzard spent 12 years or something to come with the third installment but could not manage to make the game playable. Wait a year until it is stable since Blizzard could not care less about making things that work from day one they just want your money now.
  91. May 15, 2012
    I dislike this game profusely - it consists entirely of Ctrl-V, Enter, and dodging the "Error 37" and "Error 75" mobs. I was expecting more originality and WAY better graphics.
    Oh yea, the story line sucks.
  92. May 15, 2012
    Joke, can't log in. They insultingly release the installer 2 months before release, and then don't even let us log in after waiting 2 months.

The graphics are like... warcraft 3 graphics.
  93. May 15, 2012
    Took the day off work, couldn't get on last night due to stress errors, can't get on right now due to servers being down. I work all the time, don't know when I will get the chance to spend a serious amount of time on this game. Severely disappointed that I can't play a game I own. Learn from my mistakes: Don't pre-order from blizzard, don't expect to play on release day.
  94. May 15, 2012
    It's a scam, pay but you can't play - error 37, error 75, error 30007... They require you to be online to play, but they have no servers for you to play on as everything is dead.
  95. May 15, 2012
    Really bad release. Whoever rates this game a "10" is a mindless zombie. Was able to only get about 4 hours of game play. Spent the first few hours of release trying to connect to their DRM servers and now they're in maintenance mode all morning. Extremely disappointing for a company with such high standards as Blizzard.
  96. May 15, 2012
    I dont like the fact that you have to be online the whole time to play. It took forever to even get into the game due to this fact. A single player game that you have to be online for is a bad idea period. No I dont care if the kids that only play online like that way. I dont like that your not the one responding to conversation with a npc...the game does it for you. Its a lackluster remake and I would rather have my 60 bucks back. Expand
  97. May 15, 2012
    If you are an old fan of Diablo 1 and 2, you are in store for a lot of disappointments. The game feels as if it was rushed. 90% of the games cinematics are hand drawn sketches with motion added to them. Builds are a lot less custamizable and the game all together feels a lot more passive and less active/engaging.
  98. May 15, 2012
    I'll skip the already-covered areas of DRM, server availability and pay-to-win auction houses. What prompted this review is Blizzard's customer service and absolute lack of forethought about simple aspects of the game. Case in point: I accidentally mistyped by BattleTag and opened a ticket to reset it. The reply? "Sorry, we didn't code for that." Seriously? From crashy servers to generic, unchangeable BattleTag IDs, there is no part of the technical infrastructure that Blizzard executed properly. Since I can't play the game itself without the servers, my only frame of reference is what I saw during the beta test phase:

* The artwork is okay, if somewhat "toony."
    * The story is okay, if somewhat generic.
    * The Witch Doctor class feels entirely out-of-place, as if it belongs in some other game.
    * The skill and rune systems have been dumbed down from Diablo 2.

Overall, Diablo 3 is an average-to-mediocre experience at a premium price. The game plays more like an Activision title than a Blizzard one. Let the buyer beware....
  99. May 15, 2012
    All the build up for release, planned, calculated. EPIC Fail on release with DRM Servers keeping everyone from logging in. There should be an offline mode, and furtharmore DRM needs to be throttled back a bit.
  100. May 15, 2012
    Remember when Blizzard games were interesting, fresh, and changed the gaming landscape? Yeah, me neither. Just like Starcraft 2, this is an out-of-date attempt to peddle the same old crap to a bunch of braindead fans who will buy this just because "it's diablo". But then they even shot that in the foot with awful compulsory online capabilities and a mediocre campaign mode! Blizzard is a disgusting company and Diablo 3 is a disgusting game made entirely for a quick buck at the expense of a franchises' dignity. This sort of click-happy gameplay should have evolved into something better ten years ago, not be unceremoniously dragged out of retirement like Diablo himself. If you guy this game you are a failure of a gamer. Don't support **** rehashes. Go buy something new for a change. You owe it to Diablo's memory. Expand
  101. May 15, 2012
    Unable to login to play the game. Online-only DRM. Real money auction house. Terrible technical issues, terrible customer service, extreme hype machine, no respect for their customers. Blocking twitter accounts that are critical of their incompetence, censoring / banning complaints on their forums, no sufficient response to legitimate complaints. ActiBlizzard jumped the shark mid-WoW and has only gotten worse. They have no respect for the people who pay their salaries and put food on their tables: their own paying customers. The company is greedy, technically semi-incompetent, and overly focuses on marketing hype and spin at the expense of sound design. They are all about maximizing profits at the expense of their integrity. A fundamental re-evaluation of their priorities and thorough cleaning of house is required. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012