3.9

1. May 20, 2012
    I was dedicated enough to beat D3 between server maintenance, but I'm already sick of it. It has a no permanent character customization and no replay value. At least with SC2 I could make different choices in the campaign and play in offline mode where the lag is not unbearable. D3 lacks any original thinking, smooth game play, and essential features for a full price title. It doesn't deserve the name it carries, so I only refer to it as "D3." Expand
  2. May 20, 2012
    I had it...DRM is screwing up the gaming industry... putting aside how invasive and inconvenient it is for all players, it almost feels like I'm "renting out" their game on their property.
    I have decided that if this is the direction that developers are taking... I will simply stop buying their games... period.
    I refuse to get ripped off again..... PD: does any one know if you can get a
    full refund on a digital copy of D3?? Expand
  3. May 20, 2012
    This review starts off at 10/10, and I'll explain the deductions... (I tried my best to not have spoilers of any kind)

DRM: I personally wouldn't play offline, as I want my character to progress, and to play with my friends; BUT being required to only play online just pisses me off as a consumer. Make it so single player characters that are offline can NEVER go online. Problem solved! (
    -3 )

Connectivity: Under normal games this is not an issue. Server crashes, you get a 10 second time-out. If you die, so what repair your stuff for a marginal amount of gold and continue. I however play Hard-core. If the server craps out on my character may be permanently deleted through no fault of my own. ( -1)

Auction House: I've seen stuff available for sale in Game-gold (which is fine) I would never pay any cash for anything. I won't knock the game for that. ( No Effect )

Game-play: It is somewhat fun, you have to play with other people or it will become boring as hell in no time. The inclusion of lore, and side stories helps to add emersion, but the story is predictable, and very linear. I was expecting a better story out of this game, as they had 12 years to make it and a litany of novels written about the world to draw off of. ( +1 ) I wish this was higher like a +4 :( but no way can I rate it anything other than ( +1 )

The fact I can only customize my hero through items is a bit disappointing, but it has it's upside as well. No worries about misplacing a skill point, or a Patch coming along ruining my build, but It's all cookie cutter. It's a + and a - in my books. ( No Effect ) Graphics: The cinematic are gorgeous, but there are soo few!!! The rest are drawn graphic-novel style with not much in the way of colour. They can argue they did this for effect, but I found it disappointing, and skip them the second time through. A waste I say... The world is nicely done to a degree, there is depth along the sides of the map so it feels bigger than Diablo 2, but the trees, rocks, chests, and all objects are poorly textured, and have rather piss poor Poll- counts. The characters look their best, and I use this word reluctantly, at the log-in screen. Even here the textures are very poor, and the overall models weak. This game looks like it was released in 2004-2005. ( -2 )

Sound: Awesome! Voice acting: Really good. ( +1 ) Environment: The game is too colourful and pleasant for the story line it purports. The game is about death, sacrifice, evil, horror, terror etc. Sure have the parts colourful when this emphasises the nature of the level, but when you are in the midst of a supposed living nightmare. It doesn't fly. ( - 1 )

Interface: easy to navigate, they think of all the little things that could make life annoying and didn't commit those sins, but these are little things and spit/polish, so can't earn a lot of points. ( +1 )

Skills: Some skills are simply useless compared to others, there is very little in the description to the exact numerical effect on damage, evasion, resistance, etc. So you have to activate a skill with your stat menu open to see exactly how good or pathetic a skill is. It should be as simple as putting your mouse cursor over a skill and see (grants a +7.87% evasion at your current level... for example). (-1 )

If my math serves me right this is an aggregate of -5 to the original starting score of 10. So I rank this game a 5/10.
  4. May 21, 2012
    The inability to play offline, repetitive gameplay, predictable plot and sub-par graphics not to mention numerous bugs and connection issues have led me to give this game a 0/10 simply as a way to show my frustration.
  5. May 21, 2012
    I found D3 a great disappointment. The need of a permanent internet connection to play a single player game is absurd. I think they could find a way (offline for single player and online if u want to play with others ppl). In my opinion from this point of view Valve is way above Blizzardâ
  6. May 21, 2012
    The great thing about the Diablo franchise was the ability to immerse yourself in a wonderful environment wherever you are, whenever you want. Unfortunately Blizzard decided to become the new Zynga, and in doing so have completely destroyed a great franchise. It is hoped that they address this issue quickly and allow legitimate owners of the game the ability to play the game where they want, when they want, and most importantly How they want. I don't play games online. My location doesn't allow high speed internet and so I avoid buying games or systems (read Xbox 360) that focus heavily on the online experience. I'm giving my game to the first homeless person I find. Why would I give this to someone that has absolutely no use for the game, and will never be able to play it? Well.. there's really no difference between their situation and mine. Except I paid good money on a worthless product. Expand
  7. May 21, 2012
    I would love to tell you how great this game is. How after 12 years, Blizzard finally hit it out of the park again, and how I can relive my highschool summers playing Diablo 2 playing their new, polished, awesome product.

I can't tell you what the game is like though, because I've had it since launch and I still haven't successfully logged in. Not even once. Every day I'll get a bit
    farther and get a new error.

0/10 - the game doesn't work. It doesn't matter how much time they put into making this, their stupid servers and always-on DRM mean I can't play it. Waste of $60.
  8. May 21, 2012
    Why Diablo 3 is a failure:

Let's start with the guts of the game, the mechanics and work our way to the less important, but still relevant things they got wrong as well.

1.) Skill system/stat allocation system: Where is it? It doesn't feel like Diablo without it, plain and simple. It feels cheap, unrewarding, and lame. If I roll a hardcore character I might want to put more into
    vitality. Maybe they could have IMPROVED upon the d2 system, we all know it wasn't perfect. Maybe runes to augment the skills/synergies?

2.) B.net 2.0 - Yet another step backwards, we could have had a beautiful chat room set up with our characters at the bottom of the screen, both matchmaking games to quickly get you in the action and open games (like "act 1 start" etc.) 4 players in a game? 4? Diablo 2 allowed more in a game, doesn't that feel wrong? Hell WoW had 5 in a party, 4 max in a party wouldn't even let me play in a game with my 4 other friends...

3.) RMAH - Just because you can choose to ignore it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Join a pvp arena to have someone who bought all their gear kick your ass. Sounds fun. Lets not oversight the lack of world pvp, no more getting on your lvl 94 alt and kicking some lvl 30 gankers ass. Oh thats right nobody can even hostile in town. Enjoy your WoW arena matches. Maybe there will be pillars to line of sight around, weeee.

4.) Health globes: No no no no. I don't want my life to be dependant on an arcade-ish chance to drop health on the ground. It's **** potions in d2 were not great, but there was some micromanagement to it. It once again could have been improved upon. In path of exile (another ARPG showing some promise) They made the potions recharge on your belt, and potions could be blue, having stats like instant recovery/ 30% increased run speed during potion duration. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this.

5.) Graphics/feel: It's not Diablo 2's next of kin, It is WoW's next of kin. Diablo 2 was full of dungeons with mutilated bodies on torture racks, demons lingering in the dark cursing in demonic tongue. It felt visceral and dangerous. Diablo 3 feels like a loot romp through bland green-tinted grass. Blue and purple dungeons, yessss, great job Diablo 3 developers, really captured terror there. Diablo 2 was Raiders of the Lost Ark and Diablo 3 is Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. As far as inferno goes it seems like they turned up the difficulty knob to make the game more "hardcore." Too bad when the game mechanics suck it's not even fun.

1/10 and if you disagree, i'm sure you're one that's looking forward to mysts of pandaria as well. RIP Blizzard not going to reward you for alienating your fan base and ruining your game series with poor money-influenced game design choices.
  9. May 21, 2012
    Short game. Horrific amount of errors or downtime. No ability to be played except on computers that have a good internet connection leaving me unable to play it most of the time. Legalized gold selling. Poor story. Awful servers. Ruined system of skills/attributes that seems more like WoW. No PvP except WoW clone arena. Worse than average graphics. Possibly worse play than Diablo 2. Expensive. Better free to play free to download games are available.

Just waiting until they start charging per month to all the people who "bought" the game.
  10. May 22, 2012
    I've played through the game on all difficulties and beat it within 4 days (taking breaks for work). Honestly, the game is terrible. It went from a dungeon crawler, like 1 and 2, to a game that is painfully linear. Blizzard has taken a game that you could play without using the internet and placed it on overloaded servers that they do not provide support for. The lag from the aforementioned servers makes the game virtually unplayable at certain times, significantly decreasing the enjoyment of the player. The dynamics of the game itself have not changed despite the progressions in graphics capabilities and platforms. Blizzard chose to utilize a platform that both Mac and PC can use despite the fact that Direct X is significantly more common among PC gamers (no true gamer owns a Mac... they're garbage). This platform causes PC users' graphics cards to reach temperatures that not even BF3 induces. Now for the game itself, you cannot use your own keybinds, such as WSAD for movement, you're limited to four slots for abilities, not to mention the fact that there are numerous bugs within the game itself that limit performance. Diablo 3 was turned into a pure RNG game that has gear so poorly itemized throughout the entire game that it displays only the utmost disparaging incompetency in the designers. This game was far too simplistic, the characters never stop talking, the creatures and abilities are all from World of Warcraft (even with similar names to boot), this game lacks originality in every single form. They even had the audacity to reuse the Diablo 2 soundtrack for Diablo 3. I searched tirelessly for any small sign of originality or enjoyment in any aspect of this game. To my dismay, there was not a single one.
    For the fanboys out there (most of which who were born long after Diablo 2 was released), Blizzard is making this game pay-to-win. That's right! Pay-to-win! So you can use your parents credit cards and buy gear from the auction house! Rumor has it, these items will not be poorly itemized, and you get that extra special feeling when you show your friends how awesome those pixels are that you payed real money for!
    GG Blizz.
  11. May 22, 2012
    Where to begin with this one. Alright, so the game came out a week ago now and everyone has had a chance to play it. Launch day sucked, but that was semi-expected. But here's the problem now. This online only DRM **** has got to go in games. Blizzard integrated an online only feature to prevent hacking/piracy, yet the tables have turned on them - there is currently an exploit allowing people who have done nothing but play the game to have their session ids captured and then their accounts hacked. It doesn't require a trojan horse, it doesn't matter if you have an authenticator - it is a security hole that they overlooked. Even people who do not play in public games can be targeted by this exploit. It is absurd. Blizzard has shifted the entire burden of their problems to the user. Admittedly, they have to fix the exploit, but it is now the user who has to suffer for it because s/he cannot log in without having his/her account jeopardized. In terms of gameplay, I find the game pretty fun. A lot of the abilities (e.g. the Demon Hunter's) are WoW copies, but what makes it fun is switching out your abilities to prepare for certain styles of fights. The graphics, while not astounding, are pretty good. The storyline, while somewhat cheesy and predictable, is also entertaining. My only complaint about the gameplay is that Diablo 3 has always been a game that i've played with friends, so limiting party size to 4 is pretty weak.

The ultimate problem that I have with Diablo 3 is not the content of the game itself, but with how Blizzard has forced the user to comply with a lot of bs to play the game. Requiring online only play (even for single player), integrating a "real money auction house", removing lan play, and demonstrating inadequacy in terms of preparedness for launch and security measures are real concerns that the company has yet to honestly address. Instead of looking to their audience for feedback like other up and coming game companies, Blizzard has been banking on their reputation and abusing the end user, ultimately just seeing him or her as one of the many millions of suckers to have tolerated their ****. For the record, I'm one of them for now.
  12. May 22, 2012
    It has been over a week now since i started playing this game, and i have yet to finish it. reason? lag. oh I'm playing it by myself, but thanks to blizzards 'always online' DRM, along with their horrible servers, i literally can not make it 5 minutes into the game without losing connection or rubber-banding into my death... yes, ive died many times in this game, because of lag and only because of lag. I'm literally stuck at the final boss dieing over and over again because all of a sudden my connection will drop out and 30+ seconds later, the servers catch back up, bringing my death with it. is it my computer? no, im not new to PC gaming, i can play almost every modern game out there, max settings, DX11, tessellation on high, physx, etc. is it my internet connection? no, again, im not new to PC gaming. i can spend entire afternoons in games like TF2 or L4D with no troubles at all. aside from the horrible first week this game has been having with the servers, a new problem is now occurring. a massive amount of people are having their accounts hacked and their items and gear stolen. all of this because in a few weeks Blizzard wants to open up a Real-Money Auction House. This game-item theft concept isnt new, for anyone who's ever played an MMORPG before. Long story short, save your money. this game is barely playable. when it is, it is a fun game, not as good as Diablo2, but still good. however im still giving it a low score because Blizzard demands that their horrible servers be a part of your experience. Expand
  13. May 22, 2012
    Horrible waste of money, when the servers are actually online they are abysmally slow.
    Doesn't help that I've been looking forward to this game for years...
  14. May 23, 2012
    It's an extremely stripped down and dumbed down version of Diablo 2. I suspect the game was purposely made the way it is so they could make money off the real money auction house. The fact that you are required to be online on their servers 100% of the time was just a terrible idea. It's very painful to see a series I loved so much to be ruined by moments of server lag, outages and mid-game disconnects. It really ruins the story aspect of the game when you're fighting Diablo for the first time and just before you kill him you get disconnected from the server. People were giving advice and begging for the better part of a year on the beta forums for small changes to be made and were completely ignored. The game was actually more complex back then and they ended up stripping it down to make it easier to play to the general audience. Only very small amounts of the game are randomized now. Most outdoor areas and dungeons are 95% similar every time you go through them.

The gear is just terribly done. Played through the game till act 3 of hell before I found a single unique (still no set items) and I was happy that it was a fist weapon for my monk. It was junk and I sold it at auction for cheap. Rare items drop very frequently and often are much better than the best set or unique items.

The boss monsters are jokes. Really. With a decent build and life steal as a monk you can stand and just punch Diablo in hell mode and you will rarely see your health dip below 80%. Meanwhile the elite mobs in act 1 will tear you apart before you can attack them.

I haven't played enough to really say anything about the balance issues in inferno or with other classes, so I'm not going to comment on that.

All being said, the game IS fun. $60 fun? Not really. As a successor to Diablo 2? Mediocre at best. Ignoring how much 'effort' they put into the whole game hub with the auction house, the game feels like a $20 indie game you'd find on Steam that you'd seriously consider buying but then would decide to wait until it was on sale for at least 33% off.
  15. May 23, 2012
    Diablo II was a Diablo sequel made for Diablo fans. Everything about it was bigger, badder, better. Diablo II is clearly a Diablo game made for WoW fans. Clearly the core ethos of Blizzard Entertainment has dissolved in to the ether. It's barely more than a naked money grab. The video game version of the Star Wars prequals. Or just another version of Dragon Age II.

What's actually
    new here? Simplified skill system that takes away meaningful choice. Obelisks that transport you out of dungeons. No TP scrolls, no need to go to town to identify rares. Cash-based auction house. "Lore" bits that play audio over the top of the game itself (after popping out of the same stupid satchel), making it clear that you aren't role playing or adventuring here, you're controlling an avatar in a video game. Everything new is designed to make the game more accessible to casual gamers and easier to monetize. This is made perfectly clear by the need to have half of the dialogue be a retelling of 1 & 2. In the short term, I'm sure they made decisions that will help the bottom line. In the long term, this is how brands get destroyed. But I guess if you're an executive these days, it's all about getting your quick buck and leaving the consequences to the next guy. Expand
  16. May 23, 2012
    Cannot believe how disappointing this game has been to me. Blizzard completely missed the mark.

And yet they literally remain silent, hundreds of thousands of accounts are being hacked every single day because of a server loophole and they say and do NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the fact that blues are better than legionaries, and the ecenomic situation the auction house is in
    due to the 5000 exploitable chests/bosses etc that are in this game, its not about grinding gear for inferno it's about grinding money for buying gear from the AH that people have exploited to farm inferno. Expand
  17. May 24, 2012
    My Play Experience Based on a Timeline of Events as an original diablo 1 and diablo 2 / LOD player in north America : Launch Night 10:30pm - Arrived in Line Excited to get Collectors edition preorder Midnight Launch Eve - Got my copy and raced home to insert serial number Everything Accomplished Go to Bed to wake up early and play. Start my demon hunter around 930 am played for a couple hours servers are down.

Continue playing with several server down moments all the way through normal difficulty exploring everything and going through all of the semi-boring repetitive lore. Day 3 - Beat Diablo 3 on normal and begin to explore the problem plagued auction house and start to notice several other bugs in the game.

Day 4 - About halfway through nightmare, Game has lost its fun and feels like Im grinding for no reason what so ever anymore. No Real World PvP, WoW style auction house and lack of character customization.
    Day 6 - After a break decide to go back and play some more with friends, beat nightmare and began hell...yet still terribly disappointed with the game, beat nightmare and move to hell difficulty. Game play begins to require more strategy with groups and FORCED switching of skills to beat certain mobs and bosses. Beginning to see no real reason for the black smith as its redundant when the auction house is faster and sometimes cheaper also noticed that the way MF works has changed since diablo 2 and some stats are broken / read incorrectly with certain items equipped. Game keeps dropping me when I minimize for several seconds, making adjustments to my TDP and UDP drop settings on the router seemed to have fixed this a bit.
    Day 7- Playing with my buddy and a higher level friend both having decently high MF after a friend that was outside our level range joined our game we noticed a significant decrease in yellow drops for that difficulty especially when none of us have beaten said bosses or champion mobs before, asked him to leave the game to try and see if him being outside the level range of the mobs effected the drop rate (AKA like an MMO where mobs are non-colored or GREYED out due to level range and do not drop loot anymore) did not seem to fix the problem. Only after everyone quitting the game and creating a new party was the problem rectified. Also took note that during peak game play hours rare drops seemed to happen less (Probably so the auction house doesn't get flooded and a ratio is kept especially since only 10 items are allowed on the AH at a time.)

Day 9 - Jumped online at an off peak time to test theory of rare drop ratio. So far evidence would dictate that it is true rare drop rates are lower during peak game play hours. Going to continue testing this theory without changing any gear and repetitively doing the same general quest / area with the same person as before.

My experience of the game so far ...
    1 Graphics : Really loved the first play through even though the graphics were stolen from WoW except I give mad props to the implemented physics engine. The graphics are definitely not as evil feeling and dark as the original games which saddens me alot. I feel as though its diablo painted over WoW...and (SPOILER) **Whats up with this **** **** Pony Level? I was hoping for a cow level not some colorful pony level that hurts my eyes.** Fail on the graphics blizzard. 2. Sound: No complainants here really. Voice actors were good, I do think that some of the voice overs we WAYY to stereo-typical. Could have done a better job on the sound of some of the attacks and creatures for sure. BOSSES ESPECIALLY.

3. Single Player Experience: Non Existent ; I did try to play the game solo when friends were not online, its way to easy. If you started playing multi player with friends you will no doubtly be geared better than soloists and it makes game play cheesy and boring.

4. Multi player Game play : LAG LAG LAG , Having said that I have a good rig and great connection. Blizzard still has alot of kinks to work out. With a lacking choice in character classes and the lacking of a customizable skill tree instead of this forced style only allowing you to switch skills to certain buttons or hot keys to make you use "Strategy" for killing certain mobs in hell or inferno difficulty. A promised feature of PvP that was never released sadly hopefully it will soon especially if it only takes an average player 2 weeks of solid play to easily "Twink" out a level 60 character, I am not looking forward to the real currency auction house and arena based combat, I believe this will kill the game except for the WoW fanatics that will still be playing.

Overall : Score - 3.5ish

I give them points for trying but money was on they're mind when they made the game and it was obviously rushed into production. I would have never guessed that they spent 4 years making this game. A new player to the franchise would even recognize that this was a poorly made game.
  18. May 24, 2012
    I'm over 20 hours into the game and I am severely disappointed. The game has some upsides like: the storyline (nothing amazing, but still good), the controls (very simple to grasp and entertaining), the animations (feel powerful/quick), quickly joining friends games, and the skill system (easy to change and experiment with).

However, the bad FAR outweighs the good. - First is connectivity
    (DRM). I'm OK with it being online, but they need to stabilize the servers. I have a higher-end, very solid system with high-speed cable internet and I still get disconnects, huge latency spikes, and game crashes (2 of which have caused me to lose loot from a boss).
    - Second (related to DRM) is the hacked accounts. While many users are at fault for hacked accounts, this would never be an issue if there wasn't DRM required.
    - Third is the graphics. They are decent and I understand that they are marketing to all systems and not just top-end, but they look worse than WoW which is almost 10 years old. How can we have gorgeous games like Skyrim out there with games still being released that look like D3!?
    - Fourth, huge lack of features. Can't break apart chat channels, disorganized friend's listings, terrible searching/sorting capability of AH, etc. There are so many of these basic features they could have ported over from WoW and they would have been perfect but right now they're just garbage.

This game feels like an Indie game that was developed in about a year or two, not a big 'box office' hit with 8+ years in the making. Fun, but a long way to go to be a 'good game'.
  19. May 24, 2012
    ........ 1/10 OVERALL score. This game is LITERALLY terrible. fun game to play, yes. but not for long. the internal story and shallow thought that put this game together is mediocre. and with 10+ years? all they did was make Diablo 2 for those with IQ of 50 or below and add better graphics and new characters...
  20. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good:

Graphics are fair enough, nothing groundbreaking, but not what I would describe as bad.

New skill system is fairly innovative and interesting.

The Bad:

Always-on DRM. Can't play this game without Blizz's servers up and a broadband internet connection.

The storyline is indescribably bad. Diablo walks into heaven and single handedly destroys it, and mounds and mounds of angels because evidently God doesn't care too terribly about his home being wrecked. And then Diablo then dies to a group of up to 4 nephelim (nephelim being somebody who has human and angelic parents), so: Angels > humans, Diablo > Angels, One Half Human-One Half Angel > Diablo. Makes perfect sense.

The controls, while being very similar to Diablo 2 are not at all optimized for the new skill system and there are no options for click-for-everything. As a result, especially for ranged classes, controls can feel clunky, especially in combination with the horrendous lag. Which brings me to my next point;

The lag is terrible thanks to the fact that 90% of the game is done through server-side processing. The game client installed locally on the user's computer does little more than contain the graphical assets and display them for the user. Movements, abilities, monsters, and all other operations performed in the game are processed by the server and as a result, have never seen a ping below 250ms. According to Blizzard this is A-OK (the latency bar stays green until you hit 300ms, at which point it will turn yellow). So at minimum, anything you do takes 1 quarter second before it ever actually happens. This leads to dying many times to monsters you thought you had plenty of distance away from.

Sadly, the boss battles are all boring. The only one that was of any interest to me was Belial. Diablo was pathetically easy. Just left click on him and hold down. That's about all there is to it.

Sad thing was, that even with the new skill system that few of the skills are ever really required, most of the time you can just left click your way to victory which really made the game feel very bland.

All in all, I bought Diablo 3 with low expectations since Blizzard hasn't been known as of late to produce quality material, yet sadly even my low expectations were let down. Diablo 3 is not worth $60 in even the most remote respect.
  21. May 24, 2012
    Every aspect of failure now live was spotted half a year ago by some keen minds familiar with real game design. Nothing was ever done about it. A real slap in the face. (link: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27832813210&sid=3000&pageNo=1)

I, along with everyone else, deserve $60 back. This should NOT have made it to the consumer market. It offends me I paid for this false
    advertising.

There is no substance in this game. There is no replay value. This software is terrible. No deep thought was invested into design of item/skill mechanics. Gameplay is mundane and monotonous. There is no rewards/profit system even fundamentally to keep players motivated. I fail to see how this Starcraft 2 mod (Diablo 3) made it past testing phase.
  22. May 25, 2012
    Why a zero? I dont even know where to start. Diablo 2 is the best game of all time, i grew up playing DIablo 2 religiously, I played hardcore and developed several players 95+! This game is more WoWed up than anything Diablo 3 should have been. BIG FAIL on Blizzard.
  23. May 25, 2012
    I'll start by saying the art is actually pretty nice.
    That being said, the music is absent or entirely forgettable.
    The "diverse" skill system actually just locks you into one-two viable builds once you hit inferno. The bosses are kind of an afterthought and designed to be easier than champion packs when they aren't just a walkover even at higher difficulties (magda lol)
    But the best thing
    about this game where you hunt for cool items is they screwed up their itemization so bad, that there are actually no really cool items to look forward to, just an endless stream of flavorless blues and rares with inflated main stat. Don't look here for the fun item affixes like procs that would trigger spells or transformations, because in D3, NO FUN IS ALLOWED.
    Oh, and also you can tell from enough hours of play that they've really amped the scarcity on uniques/sets because hey it'll drive people to buy and sell on RMAH. If you don't intend to spend more money than the $60 full price you just dumped into it, there's a whole bunch of stuff you're not likely to ever see. Awesome!
    Honestly, this is a terrible package and once you hit max level and get a good grip on how the game systems work, you'll understand it doesn't even begin to have the replayability factor you would expect from the Diablo series. Do yourself a favor and go play something else, you can't say I didn't warn you.
  24. May 25, 2012
    I have never been so disappointed for a game in my life!! This took all the elements from Diablo 2 that people loved and trashed them, watered them down, and changed them for the worse. Now there's horrible voice acting, cartoonish characters, linear gameplay and skill choice, item dependency, annoying online DRM (a highly off-putting quality IMO), Inventory resizing, characters that can't "use" melee/ranged items.... The list goes on and on. After hours of giving the game a chance to impress me and moving all the way to Act 3, I was absolutely disgusted how boring, childish, and overall fake everything came out to be. The atmosphere of the game isn't dark enough and I don't feel like I have any control over the outcome of the character. This game does not deserve the word Diablo in its title!! Honest to God I went out and sold the game to someone my cousin knew and helped them change the blizzard account information. YEAH.. IT WAS THAT TERRIBLE.... Blizzard, you honestly blew it. SOOOO Disappointing....... Expand
  25. May 25, 2012
    The only reason diablo 3 sold so many copies is the success of diablo and diablo 2. If you're a casual gamer that wants to spend 10-15 hours on a hack and slash game, I'd rate this game 7/10, if you're a diablo fan and expect to play a diablo game, I'd rate it 0/10.

When you buy a diablo game, you expect a certain type of gameplay, atmosphere and graphics, diablo 3 doesn't deliver any of
    that. There's diablo clones that are more like the original diablo games than diablo 3, that's just unacceptable. The graphics style is cartoonish, and the general atmosphere of the game is nothing like the gothic, diabolic and hellish atmosphere of the previous games. The graphics are bad for a 2012 game, but thats not very important, the style is'nt unique or memorable, its like the WoW designers were working on diablo 3. The story is unacceptably short for a 2012 game. Character customization was very important in previous games, however, in diablo 3 it's virtually non existent. This game isn't a hardcore rogue-action hack and slash PC RPG, it feels like a bad port of some console hack and slash game like Dark Alliance. I would rate this game higher if blizzard didn't try to earn money by abusing the diablo franchise, they should have given the game a different name. This is an obvious attempt to earn more money by making the game extremely simple, and thus accessible to casual gamers, but simple boring games like diablo 3 die fast. I can't imagine people that would be willing to play diablo 3 in 10 years, as is the case with diablo 2, in fact, I can't imagine why people would want to play this game more than a few days at most. I've been playing diablo 2 on LAN with my friends since its release, of course there were breaks when I didn't play it for a year or two, but so far none of my friends (including myself) have enjoyed diablo 3. Expand
  26. May 25, 2012
    A bland monetization centric end to a legacy IP. Do yourself a favor and don't waste time on this unless you are fine with playing this game exactly as Blizzard wants you to.
    Also if you expect anything like Diablo1 or 2 play torchlight 2 instead cause this is not it!
  27. May 25, 2012
    My original review exeeded 5000 characters so I'm just going to break it down. Combat feels good but one dimensional enemies make it a less satisfying experience. Boring and unimpressive item system. Difficulties in the game are all gear checks. No new mechanics in higher difficulties. Monsters don't get new spells or attacks (with the exception of elites and their affixes).
    Elite monster affixes are boring with most of them being aoe area control spells that force you to run away.

Game is short with linear maps that have minuscule randomisation and waypoints are given to you automatically in certain points of the story. Exploration becomes pointless and unrewarding.

Long cool down timers ruin the pace of the game.

Many skills and skill runes are useless and are not viable in the endgame.

Endgame forces you to go certain builds just to survive, killing build diversity.

Gold sinks are pointless and expensive. (Jeweller and Blacksmith)

Disappearing text in chat box is annoying.

Private messaging is clunky and slow, further ruining the pace of the game.

Script is cheesy and poorly written.

Story characters feel like tag alongs.
  28. May 25, 2012
    I am not commenting on any server-related issue as it is irrelevant to the gameplay itself. Graphics do not determine how good a game is, only how modern it is. These are the main issues with the game. Your weapon-damage is increased by 1% for each point in your primary stat (E.g. Strength for Barbarians, Dexterity for Monks and Demon Hunters and Intelligence for Witch Doctor and Wizard). This makes this the most treasured stat in a strong character, and survivability being secondary. Occasionally, you find randomly created items with a set number of random attributes, all of these are worthless unless they have a massive amount of your primary stat, or directly increased weapon-damage. Finding optimal items are hard, I like that (+1), but, finding legendary items that have been specifically designed for your character, level and playing style is much harder and when you finally do, that weapon is bound to end up on the 'Auction House' as there are always randomly created items that have better properties. How did it become so primitive that so few stats matter to a player? I personally believe it's because they removed the 'skill tree'-system they had in the previous games. We used to find items with rarer attributes like +1 to , which would boost all the stats of that specific skill, sometimes it would increase all skills under a specific tree, or all skills in general... there is no replacement for this. Players realize this and can easily buy mid-level legendary items after simply collecting 'gold' from level 1 till 10. In short, finding a legendary item does not provide any kind of joy, as they are worthless and have inferior stats to many randomly created items. There is also the matter of unbalance. Surely, anyone who has entered either of the 2 hardest difficulties agree that 'elite mobs' (general enemies that have rare attributes to make them extraordinary) are harder than the actual bosses, they have the capabilities to slay your character with one blow and survive hundreds of blows, making them deadlier than the end-bosses on the same difficulty. Glitches/Bugs/Exploits Haven't seen many of them, they are quickly patched (+1). Experimenting with broken mechanics by sinking unnatural amounts of points into non-primary stats, making characters overpowered by other means is unrewarding, as this is always fixed. All characters are apparently supposed to be the same and follow a strict meta-build (-1). The biggest issue (in my opinion). This game was made for World of Warcraft fans, not for Diablo fans, this is seen and felt through each and every (but in different amounts) aspect of the game. That's understandable, World of Warcraft had a bigger playerbase than Diablo, except we all hate it when the greed for money is more important than the experience itself. They trust money, not fans. This is not the first time Activision Blizzard let their players down for the sake of money, it's seen in Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Starcraft 2, Modern Warfare 3, Diablo 3 and we will probably see the same **** in Black Ops 2. In conclusion, it's a shallow game; Under the hood, under all the visuals and other distractions, in it's core - this game is as mentally stimulating as throwing a frisbee by yourself, oh, it's also designed for WoW fans, not Diablo fans. In any crowd, I could point out at least 3 people that could say what they could have done to easily increase customer satisfaction. Congratulations Blizzard, you have gone full retard. This article has the score adjusted, the previous post was set at a 0 score, while I meant to give Diablo 3 it's justified 1 out of 10. Expand
  29. May 25, 2012
    Continuous server downtime, unable to play single-player due to Blizzard server issues. Auction house has been down more than up. HORRIBLE lag that Blizzard insists is MY fault.
  30. May 26, 2012
    Played Diablo II and LoD for years. Too many years. I was so excited about this game and looking forward to it for so long, all to be completely disappointed. The only reason Blizzard brought this title back out was for a quick money grab. And the RMAH? Comon' bliz. you sneaky **** jews. Things like the potion cooldown, itemization, and the importance of gear is what kills it for me. Please Blizzard, you are the leader in gaming; You are the company that other game developers will follow. This game is a horrible 'role model' for others to follow. Horribly developed, hardly tested. In fact, admittedly NOT tested. You are a joke Blizzard. Go **** yourselves. Expand
  31. May 26, 2012
    Beat the game fast and leveled faster than Diablo 2, inferno is impossible for a barbarian, this game actually wants you to buy the items in the AH since all drops are for your alternate characters since the levels for them are lower than yours, this game sucks I went and got a refund, sticking to diablo 2 until Torchlight 2 releases. Good Riddance!
  32. May 26, 2012
    Single player on-line only DRM=Fail.

This decision was not just about keeping piracy at bay(the pirates thus far have gotten around this anyway), it was also the Auction House bringing in more revenue and controlling player files on the server. I will not be purchasing this game along with a separate authenticator purchase. It's a shame that Blizzard has fallen from grace. Paying
    customers=0/Pirates and hackers=1

I would like to have a N/A rating but the site won't allow it. Too bad.....0.
  33. May 26, 2012
    I bought this game with the hope that it would be a classic, following in D2 footsteps. Alas it is a WOW clone which I find basically boring. Nothing really inventive or creative. The DRM is a deal-breaker for me. Sure, MMO's need to be online to play. But why make a user playing in single-player mode suffer through server downtimes and non-playability when they have don't have internet or your ISP has problems. When I buy a game I expect to own it. But in today's game business thinking, you're paying for the privilege to play when the owner allows it. If the owner goes away, is hacked, or has technical problems, then you're SOL on playing this game. After reading other's reviews, some are saying we shouldn't judge a game based on its DRM. Reviews like those make me think they're being written by the game's developers or publishers. To those folks I say you're ridiculous. When a ridiculous DRM prevents you from playing an expensive game, then it should indeed be considered when reviewing it.

As for me, I'll continue playing since I bought the game and want some amount of enjoyment from it. But I'll also look for a cracked EXE or similar thing that shuts off the DRM so I can play without a net connection. It's my right to have the ability to play the game when I want - with or without a net connection.
  34. May 28, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a disgrace to Diablo series . Ah and no game browser or chat just destroyed the social aspect of D3 . Yes Diablo 3 has 0 social aspect in it . The loot and the wow style loot progression are really really bad idea. Equip stats are boring . The story is bad and to scripted and delivered in WoW style.
  35. May 29, 2012
    This game is unplayable for most of the time that I want to play it - even SINGLE PLAYER. This is totally unacceptable as the always-on DRM is only in place to protect their pay-to-win real money auction house.

We are witnessing the downfall of PC gaming right in front of our eyes.

Do Not Buy.
  36. May 29, 2012
    Stay awhile and listen: "I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money back Deckard Cain dies I want my money back I want my money backI want my money back I want my money back I want my money back I want my money backI want my money back I want my money backI want my money back" Those critics are smoking pole or weed. This game is not worth 60 bucks, 30 tops. Expand
  37. May 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With 120 hours of playtime, the game is done. Broken mechanics, tedious, not hard(One-hit KO from out of sight creatures is the new hard). Zero customization.
    Once an attack animation starts, it cannot be dodged.
    You do not fight, you run around and try not to get hit while laying down AOEs. With heavy WoW influence, you now see "enrage timers", which is a simple "You die".
    The game is centered completely around the real money auction house to fill greedy pockets. Loot is entirely TOO random. You get a class specific item with the entire opposite of needed stats.
    Exploits and bots are everywhere.
    Extreme amounts of compromised accounts, and all Blizzard can say is "get an authenticator".
    Case insensitive passwords, weak measures against brute force attacks.
    Blizzard forum moderators are insulting and offensive.
    The forums are filled with trolls, and any constructive criticism is locked/deleted off of the forums if Blizzard doesn't like it. The troll posts stay much longer.

If you buy this game in the near future, understand you are purchasing your way into what really seems like beta testing. The games core mechanics were drastically changed 4 weeks prior to release with no testing, and Inferno was never tested properly.

If you want to pay to win, open your wallet, you might have a good time.
  38. May 30, 2012
    this game is total garbage. a downgrade in every aspect. such a disgrace to the diablo franchise... only wow fanboys enjoying this game, they buy every fukin game by activizzard, only to complete their b.net accs, just stupid. and the funny thing is, their ingame town called orgrimmar has more complexity than this crap game -.- biiiig disappointment... "the game was total garbage..." "and then we doubled it" - Jay Wilson Expand
  39. Jun 1, 2012
    One week game. The new game director misunderstood what diablo 2 was about, he thinks random = fun, its not. Choice and relationship between random and fixed stats were fun in d2, and d3 fails to deliver. Everything (every build, weapon costumisation) feels the same.
  40. Jun 6, 2012
    I have nothing new to add. I'm experiancing the same server problems as everyone else. I understand the need for server maintenance, but then again Google never goes down. It may be a technical thing to do with game servers but I rarely have a problem with the Steam servers.

Still that's all moot since none of it would be an issue at all if there were a seperate offline mode available.
    I used to hold Blizzard up on a pedestal with Valve as an all round good game developer but a single player game that relies on an always on connection to unreliable servers? It's utterly ridiculous. Expand
  41. Jun 7, 2012
    Auction house ruins the game. always-on DRM is outrageous. Over simplification of the skill and attribute systems. Skills lack of originality and diversity.No charms, few gems that have very limited effects. No way to specialize the character in a way or another, all lvl 60 barbarians will be the same, the only thing that will differ will be equipment. Very disappointed, would have preferred by far a refurbished Diablo II than all this crappy changes and simplifications.
    Diablo3, except for the graphics parts, looks like a bad draft of diablo II. Blizzard is going backwards.
  42. Jun 11, 2012
    This gets a zero for the terrible story. Metzen went through the motions and churned out an incredibly flawed plot that made any Diablo fan squirm in their chair. Gameplay wise, it was fun...until you hit the Hell is too easy, Act II inferno is too hard spot and you must pray that the RNG is kind enough to grant you strong enough gear to auction or use. If you aren't that lucky, enjoy your ever lengthening resurrection timer. Expand
  43. Jun 13, 2012
    Considering the hype for this game and the large fan base looking forward to its release with huge expectations, disappointment was to be anticipated in some form. The always online thing is a bummer, for starters, but that is nothing that surprised me out of Blizzard. What did surprise me was the startling mediocrity of the game in terms of visual style, sound and voices, in-game videos and quest design. These things are tolerable, although I personally hate the way everything out of Blizzard is becoming more and more cartoony and World-of-Warcraft-looking. The storytelling on the other hand is not mediocre - it's frankly terrible. Where the fascinating background lore could have been worked into an enticing, mysterious storyline, it was not. The characters are simply laughable. I really hated listening to most of them. Opponents like the "Lord of Lies" will be so daft, I found myself wondering what the target age group for the game actually is.

Yes, Diablo 3 is fun if you play through it once, maybe level up to 60 and go hunting for some gear if that's your thing, but personally I will put it on the shelf for now. I've spent my money on worse games though, so 5 out of 10 is about right.
  44. Jun 18, 2012
    Diablo itself was raped repeatedly with a blunt object maybe someone blinded her and she couldn't find the players, it has to be one of the worst boss fights of all time, and why bother, when she dies she just spits out some crappy vendor loot. This game was designed for idiots who don't know how to control their money, it may as well have been a slot machine with pretty lights...

Thanks to Diablo 3 I went looking for another game, I discovered the guys who made Diablo 1 and 2 and checked out their Torchlight series I didn't buy Torchlight one since it was a single player game, but it came free with a pre order of Torchlight 2, and I must say I can really feel the difference between a game designed for the purpose of playing and game designed to take your money with your soul. This probably the weakest attempt of a company to copy a game made by guys who already left Blizzard to start their own company called Runic, had it not been for the poor story telling the laughable game mechanics where your spoon fed your class stats so there is no way in hell you can customise your class to assist your play style or difficulty its purely down to the loot, now while a lot of dungeon crawlers base formula is the loot at least the stats would give you an idea of what you can use to assist you.

Diablo 3 there is very little armour restrictions everyone wears the same armour and you basically run around trying to find the next best thing which is rare, rare items usually have opposing stats forcing you trade other players or since the last patch the stats are now even worse making most loot drops useless/unusable, this is what it looks like when a company rapes you for your money the game is stuck together with virtual ducktape. So much time is spent on things happening behind the scenes almost to try and distract you on how boring the game is.

Thank you Blizzard you have taught me to find the developers who make quality not the crap you trying to sell my you rest in pixels.
  45. Jun 19, 2012
    Not only this game is incredibly boring and repetitive, but the always-on DRM means you can't play offline--meaning when your without internet or during the numerous and lengthy maintenance periods. A complete rip-off.
  46. Jun 20, 2012
    Biggest letdown of 2012 by far. This game had so many promises, so much potential, and such an AMAZING franchise. Sucks to see blizz pissed it all away when pure, unadulterated greed that is the real money auction house (RMAH). This game no longer has a soul. It is no longer fun. It is no longer Diablo. Blizzard took a great game, gutted it, and filled it with useless "fluff" catering to the more casual of gamers. But heres the caveat, you have to be a "rich" gamer to actually progress. You see, Blizz **** all progression without the use of the RMAH. Thats right!! In order to progress, you have to shell out more money. For a SINGLE decent piece of gear, you are looking at $200+. To kick their fanbase in the nuts so more, after spending all this money on these "virtual gear", they do a global nerf, destroying its use completely. Thats right! After shelling out all this money for a new BMW, the repossess it and dumped you with a 1985 toyota tercel. Shame on you blizz! Expand
  47. Jun 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 proberly the worst hack and slash game ever created in history of gaming. Charecter customization has been dumbed down so much that every player is the same. The overall gameplay is boring and frustating as best. The game is designed so you have to pay real life money on there auction house to get gear. The days where you could kill endless stream of monsters to satisfy you gear needs are gone. Its really hard to belive its the same company that made Diablo and Diablo 2. Dont buy this crap game, waste of money. It do got nice graphic thats the reason why im giving it +1 Expand
  48. Jun 23, 2012
    I created an account on this site just to review this game. I'm going to break this post down by the pros and cons of this game and its developer. Pros: -better graphics -new classes -professions -cool animations -rune system diversity -porting to allies -identifying/porting fix -AH Cons: -online only -lack of story and short campaign -initial server problems (no excuse for that)
    -constant nerfs to gold/itemization outside of AH
    -RMAH
    -under powered professions

Overall the game felt more like an expansion. Whats really been pissing me off lately is how these developers are trying to find new ways to scheme more money out of people. Nowadays when I pay $60 for a game, generally you can expect 6-8 solid hours of gaming. This feels like a fraction of the time it took me to complete games back in the day AND they were less expensive. Now games have monthly fees, DLC which cost more $, the RMAH % cut, and all these other methods for making more money and giving us less of a game. Quite frankly I'm sick and tired of this ****

I was an avid player of D2 and had big expectations for D3. There was a big part of my problem right there, but why not expect big things? Blizz has the money, the talent, the fan base, and the time to create some solid games but here lately I'm just not seeing it.

I think the user review here isn't accurate but the professional critic reviews are equally as inaccurate. Out of the GBs of space Blizzard's games require you'd expect more out of this game. If you were content paying $60 just to play the game through once or twice then more power to you. But if your me you can't help but agonize at the bastardization from D2 to this wannabe D3.

For me video games are becoming like the movies. Create a hot trailer with a few big names which bring a certain revenue then insert the camera into someone's anal cavity and start filming and expect people not to download it. I'm sorry but I can't support these corporations who are going to put profit > product. If you have a good product the profit will always be there, but the emphasis needs to be on the product.

These companies are more concerned with getting away with the bare minimum to achieve maximum profit then have the audacity to sell us more stuff on the side that should have initially been included.
  49. Jun 24, 2012
    I have put about 80 hours in the wizard and have reached lvl 60. I am yet to be impressed.
    I had such high expectations for this game, and I have been let down.
    I kept playing I the hope that the game would get better, but sadly it did not.
    The game only get's marginally harder until "Inferno" which is the hardest Difficulty. which should be called Impossible. There are so many
    problems with D3, All the other USER reviews fully explain in detail.
    What Drives me crazy is all the Critic Reviews that seem to be paid advertising for blizzard.
    I wont pretend I know how to make a better game. In a word, "Rubbish"
  50. Jul 15, 2012
    Is it made in China?Oh, dam* game !(*=n)
    A huge disappointment, no more skill points to distribute, no more attribute points to distribute, skills unlock automatically as you level up, WoW inspired skills.Why is there no LAN?
  51. Jul 19, 2012
    This Game ist Very Bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  52. Jul 22, 2012
    After played for 200hr (lv 60 wizard and monk, stopped at inferno A3), I realized this is a bad game. Why does it take that long for me to know that? Because I kept telling myself, "Blizzard does not make bad games, there are something better later in the game." I was going to write a long review as to why I think it is a bad game. Then, I just simply don't care about anymore. I left this review for anyone who has not bought the game yet. DON'T DO IT. It is not 200hr of fun, it is 200hr thinking "it will get better later." I feel really bad getting all my friends playing D3 since all of them quite already. So if I can just save one person from buying this awful game, I will feel much better. Expand
  53. Jul 22, 2012
    Ok I'm not even going to touch the abysmal dialogue or the bland characters or the storyline that's something out of Disney mixed with Power Rangers. This is a loot game, on with the gameplay.

Itemization sucks. It's very bland, nothing interesting. You're hunting for mainly 3 of the same stats for all your gear slots in order to be successful. If an item doesn't have one, most of the
    time it's complete garbage. The odds of an item rolling said 3 stats along with good value rolls on those stats are infuriating.

The difficulty is okay for Normal->Hell. Pretty easy. But the best stuff drops in Inferno, the gear-check difficulty. And if you don't have the gear with those 3 stats in all your slots you will get slaughtered. And chances are you won't have the gear. This is where the fun with the AH starts. You start buying gear for stats in order to progress, and that's where it stops being fun.

Inferno is not a challenge for the sake of challenge, it's a progression difficulty - a means to an end with cheap MMO mechanics built in like enrage timers and rez timers to make you either pull your hair out grinding earlier difficulties or use the AH. On that note, the loot that drops is not quality loot most of the time because of the sole existence of the AH.

Basically, it's a chore. A second job with no real rewards. You're grinding for uninteresting loot for that marginal .5% mitigation and 1% dps increase in order to progress to a later act. Once you do that, you face another brick wall. Gear doesn't enforce build diversity, and the cheap mechanics of "difficulty" shoehorn you into a certain build, narrowing build diversity even further.

Diablo 3 is not the wors game I've ever played. Diablo 3 is the worst letdown of a game from such a trusted company like Blizzard Entertainment. And I thought FFXIII was a letdown.
  54. Jul 23, 2012
    Game is fun for about 20-30hrs.
    Once you max character level the game becomes very shortsided. You stop having reason to grind except to get gold and buy SLIGHTLY better gear with SLIGHTLY better stats. Gear all looks the same and is a boring way to bring variables to statistics. Basically, it is a free game, but those who pay to play and buy gear/gold have the advantage...
    Of course you
    can grind it out and TRY to find decent gear.. but you'll find your self not farming for gear but for LARGE amounts of gold to buy 1 piece of gear... then rinse and repeat cycle. Graphics are good. Gameplay fundamentals are good. No replay value... nothing fun about it after the first 20-30hrs or when you max character.. Real money AH is a cool feature and you have the opportunity to make money. But its rare because most people don't buy gear for money, they buy GOLD for money, and then use the Gold to buy better gear on the AH. It's just a lame and vicious cycle that grows cold quickly. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BLIZZARD, Every game they have ever made I love. NOT THIS ONE THOUGH! REALLY BIG disappointment. Game flat out sucks after 20-30hrs. GG but try again Blizz. Expand
  55. Jul 19, 2013
    -pay to win
    -stupid storyline (my cat can write a better one)
    -no skill/stat points
    -stupid class choices
    -bad graphics (yes it is bad.)
    **** artwork
    -dumb soundacting
    -retarded bosses
    -moronic followers
    -useless items

+auto picking gold is not a bad idea. congratulations.

made by retards for morons to play. good fuvking job.
  56. Oct 14, 2012
    It's interesting to see how some people come up with certain visions with this game that are completely untrue:

Xon - The game is well balanced / The story suffices

- The game is anything but balanced. All the classes are completely broken, especially the Barbarian which seems to get buffed every patch while every other class gets nerfed. With the new monster power system coming
    in, it makes absolutely no sense to play any other class other than a Barbarian. This should put up a red flag about the supposed balance. The story is lame at best; professional script writers have actually poked fun at D3's story as being one of the worst story line's they've ever seen.

Karma_Police - Everything that makes a good game is there / "when" they polish the game the game could be the best game in pc history / Blizzard fixing the issues.

- Haha ok this is a real doozy here.. how much exactly have you had to drink when you wrote that? The only thing the game has that could even remotely considered to make it great is it's graphics. It lacks everything else, from the music, to the balance, down to the non-randomness of the maps. They aren't fixing anything, they take about 150 steps backwards with each patch, tipping the scales in favor of not only Barbarians but a small % of players who use the rmah. Things like this have been pointed out since it's release. The only thing Karma has right is the loot system is crap, as well as, the DRM.,

For those of you looking at this and wavering on whether or not to buy D3; you need to know the truth, and not be subjected to these lies these 2 have put forth.

The only way this game will work for you is if you don't plan on progressing past Normal mode (which should take you maybe 35hrs of playtime at most. If your happy with spending $60 on that, then this game is for you. Keep in mind.. the 35hrs play time will probably take you about 200hrs real time due to the constant errors.
  57. Oct 2, 2012
    What an unmitigated disaster. Blizzard should apologize to their fans for this atrocious attempt at a sequel to Diablo 3. Why the game is bad has already been stated enough times to be clear. I just want to give voice to the overwhelming disappointment that this game has wrought on fans of this series.

Truly pathetic.
  58. Feb 7, 2013
    This game failed to improve on Diablo 2. The game has way too many changes from its predecessor. In addition, D3 lacks an end game as the Auction house renders the item hunt short lived. Also, the content (Acts only 4) are quite short and after you complete the game on normal (only option at first) that is all the content and sanctuary completed. So basically Diablo 3 is rinse and repeat in terms of content. Other issues include a very poor non competitive dueling system played on only 1 small map/arena. In conclusion this is a game that failed in terms of content and providing suitable end game options e.g. pvp/ custom games/map editor not existing. Expand
  59. May 18, 2012
    First of all know that you are responsible for what blizzard has become. You fed and praised blizzard by sticking and protecting WoW and its expansions so much so you would never see the truth about blizzard. Its all about milking (like EA). Did you really expect a 2d overhead perspective game to be something new? It could only have better graphics than diablo 2 and simplified game mechanics. Add to this the damned "Always online" new fashion and you 've got a shinny piece of **** by Blizzard. You people better start giving credit to other developers and stop being fanboys. Expand
  60. May 17, 2012
    Simplified version of Diablo 2, everything we loved about the previous game is replaced with lowest common denominator crap. Awful WoW-style art style, and many of the moves are taken straight from previous Blizzard games. Story is very disappointing and the game is completely linear. There's no reason for anyone to play this when there are hundreds of better games you could be playing instead, and dozens of better hack and slash ARPGs. Blizzard employees should be ashamed that it took them this long to produce such a sub-par product. Expand
  61. May 16, 2012
    Pathetic. This shouldn't even be a game. The customization of online play that i loved in battle.net is missing in this game and the sad thing this game is 100% online. So you have bad match making and room creation with friends. Collecting loot is pointless just go for the high level items and gold drops anything else just ignore. Since all drops from mobs rarely go over 5 gold including semi rare stuff like gems sell for 3 gold. When a potion costs you 100+gold So you need to collect several inventories full just to buy 1 potion. Wasting about 5 potions doing so. The bosses feel unoriginal and less unique than older games and unique monsters feel less than thrilling to find. Shrines feel USELESS. The only thing going for this game is a beautiful art style. I liked the old story line in D2 where you unlocked a different story where you get to see what happened and how it happened. While in D3 the cut scenes are just cut scenes of the story you just went through almost like a recap. This is very much pay to win game who ever invests the most money will have the best gear and not really a game of skill.. Expand
  62. May 16, 2012
    This game sucks. Can't even play single player when the servers go down and they go down often. When they do come back there are rollbacks where ive lost several levels.
  63. Jun 10, 2012
    The biggest innovation D3 brings to the table is that Blizzard has found a way to bring server issues and lag to the single player game. Not good. Other than that the gameplay is decent but never shines because the difficulty curve is 3 difficulties of trivially easy followed by a brick wall of difficulty spike. The gear itemization is really poor, the storytelling is sub-mediocre and its predecessors with worse graphics from a technical perspective do a better job of creating atmosphere. Expand
  64. May 16, 2012
    very dissapointed blizzard. i was once a very loyal fan of you. but ever since starcraft 2 there has been a missing spark about your games. starcraft 2 had poor voice acting, poor story and the characters seem hollow and empty. diablo 3 on the otherhand felt more like a WoW title with the diablo 3 brand superglued to it. the lack of gothic feel, the cartoony character models, lack of stat point allocation and set unlocks of skills combined with the linear progression is highly dissapointing. i guess this is what you get when blizzard north go packing. Expand
  65. May 15, 2012
    I dont like the fact that you have to be online the whole time to play. It took forever to even get into the game due to this fact. A single player game that you have to be online for is a bad idea period. No I dont care if the kids that only play online like that way. I dont like that your not the one responding to conversation with a npc...the game does it for you. Its a lackluster remake and I would rather have my 60 bucks back. Expand
  66. May 24, 2012
    This game is okay, but it is nothing like Diablo 2. It has been modeled around being sustainable income for Blizzard.

Currently the only way to be able to farm gear that is worth anything is to use the gear that is worth anything. The only reason people are able to do so right now is because they abused overpowered builds, but they have since been nerfed so nobody else can farm it.
    Inferno in this game is difficult because of boosted enemy damage and hp, not a change in actual challenge. It's one big gear check.

Since you can't make gold without farming good items to buy good items in order to farm good items, you'll need to use the Real Money Auction House when it comes out.

It's one big ploy for your money, gents... just wait for Torchlight 2 or go play something else.
  67. May 15, 2012
    No offline play and the biggest and unforgibable flaw, no LAN option ! I have fond memories of D2 playing with friends in LAN, yet the sequel won't allow me to play with a real friend (not an internet "friend"). I really thought they would implement this before release, but they didn't and that's a shame. In the end, money wins, player looses, because these choices, however they are presented, were solely dictated by the willingness (necessity?) to make more profit. Expand
  68. May 20, 2012
    On one hand, its a good game. Well made, typical of its genre, lots of clicking etc :)

On the other so far (end of Act 2) little or no sub-plots. Dumbed down stats management - do companies not realise that players want to feel as though their characters are personal? Fixed stats per character type destroy that. No character portraits or customisation. Every character, colour aside
    looks exactly the same...

Finallly, online DRM.... battle net down again.... first weekend.... they have had so long to get this right. And they have failed miserably. If online DRM was not around, I'd give it an extra couple of points. As it is, I have a distinct problem with not being able to play a single player game without the need for an internet server.
  69. Aug 2, 2012
    Too many nerfs and the auction house killed the game. Blizzard could just sll you any items they want throught the real money auction house and control the economy of it. Thank you Activision!
  70. May 17, 2012
    This game is ruined for me because of the internet connectivity. I don't have anything new to say. I just wanted to give another 0 to help bring down the average. Fck you blizzard i will never purchase another one of your games.
  71. May 18, 2012
    My opinion is based solely on the single-player experience, nostalgia and the expectations I had based on what Blizzard have released prior to this game.

The single-player campaign is very unimpressive and the audio logs (journals) that are meant to flesh out the world are more often than not of rather poor quality. The removal of attribute and skill points makes leveling up a trivial
    and uninteresting event, and it is nothing short of a tragedy for all those who played the two first Diablo games.

I experienced several times (roughly 27 times in a single playthrough) where the game would hang and all combat and actions were "stuck" and after a second or two the game would resume, causing monsters to teleport around based on where they would have gone during the hang. Having this happen on a T1 internet connection in a single-player game is beyond unacceptable.

It was Blizzard themselves who set a new standard of what we could expect from a single-player experience when they released StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty.

Whether or not they release new content, events and modes is entirely unimportant as the only thing that matters is what I think of the game after having played through it... and I am not impressed if this is the quality we can expect from future Blizzard games.
  72. May 15, 2012
    The story and cinematics are great. Gameplay is fun for small sessions but after a while it becomes stale. Always online DRM is inexcusable and connectivity issues just make an appalling situation even worse. My advice: watch the cinematics on YouTube and give this $60 game a miss.
  73. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a huge fan of the Diablo series (was 1 of my favorites) & logged countless hours playing the 1st 2 Diablo games. D3, however, is a terrible game in almost every imaginable way. Here's why not to buy D3:

1)Maps: essentially not randomly generated (as they have been in past games). Most areas are static (e.g. the overworld), & some are 'randomly generated' & have 2-4 possible layouts - these areas could be more accurately described as 'randomly chosen' from predetermined layouts. This is a big change from the infinite map layouts previous Diablo games could have.

2)No open world exploration/free play option. In addition to no random maps, gameplay is locked into quest progression. In D2, a player could start a game in any act & travel anywhere in that act or any other act. In D3 a player chooses a quest & creates a game based on that quest, having progressed through the act as if you were still on that quest. If you already killed a boss in the act, they remain dead. To travel to another act, the player must exit the game & create a new 1 by selecting a different quest.

3)The game is linear/mechanical/repetitive. Diablo games have previously been designed to be played for years after release (D2 online community is still sizable ). D3's lack of random maps quickly leads to areas becoming tedious/boring as they are so repetitive. Worse yet, quest objectives are shown as blinking dots on the minimap (as if you couldn't remember your way around after playing identical areas many times over) so you never have to think about what the objective is or which direction you should be heading. For the most part, all RPG elements have been removed from the series (which is supposed to be an action RPG).

4)Auction house: Many people argue it has ruined the game's economy, or that it promotes a pay-to-win playstyle. It is also the main way to trade in-game items & the UI is so terrible that it takes a very long time to do so.

5)Nephalem Valor: forces people to stick with a build for a long time or be punished - being forced to choose between more loot/rewards or more freedom/fun (i.e. being rewarded for having less fun - a game should promote fun). 6)Significantly increased item repair costs strongly discourage people from attempting difficult content which makes the game boring/monotonous. The repair costs don't affect people who already have lots of good gear & are farming acts 3/4 & punish people who don't have much gold & are just starting to gear up.

7)Elite mobs: designed to be what players farm for end-game items. These mobs have the same 25 randomly chosen abilities (up to 4 different affixes each encounter) across all 4 acts. For the most part every fight is similar/easy & it feels like you are running all over all 4 acts just so to engage in the same boss fight over & over again - there is little diversity between acts.

8)Story: absolutely terrible.

9)No end game content - nothing to keep players interested/playing for years to come.

10)Itemization/characterization: boring - classes are not unique/use the exact same items. Item affixes have been simplified/dumbed down. Affixes such as fire, lightning, holy, etc. damage no longer has secondary effects such as crits adding DoT, stunning targets, dealing extra damage to undead - they are instead completely cosmetic.

11)The game has a very cheesy/cartoony/family friendly art style (not referring to content) & has abandoned the more mature look of its predecessors. D3's artistic direction does not really allow for interesting/scary/whatever models of demons. 1 of the better models, Azmodan, was still less scary than Ursula from The Little Mermaid. Blizz said they think the game has a timeless, stylized, aesthetic (like they say about WoW.. but it's not suited to D3).

13)This game borrowed too much from WoW rather than from previous Diablo games.

12)No open world PvP. Diablo I & II had fun open world PvP. D3 will feature only arena PvP (whenever Blizz decides to finally add PvP).

14)The game looks, feels, & plays like a game from around 2005 - it's dated.

15)The game just generally feels rushed/incomplete (& in many ways is incomplete, e.g. no PvP at launch & no date set for when it will be implemented).

If you're not a fan of the Diablo series/looking to waste 20 hours or so - this game should keep you adequately entertained for that long. If you played Diablo I/II & are looking for another game to spend countless hours playing over many years, this is definitely not your game. D3 does not seem broken beyond repair, but I'm not sure Blizz is prepared to put in the necessary work. Some issues (e.g. map randomization) would be far too difficult to change at this point - developers have specifically said they will not be correcting this. Recommendation: check out D3 after it has seen a year or 2 of patching - it may be in a good state by then.
  74. May 15, 2012
    You know, I hate to give this a 1/10... I LOVE Diablo 2, and the original Diablo.... But the sad fact is that this game is really fun.... when you can play it....Attempting to get onto a game that you bought when you first get home... and you cant.. is sad, but okay they want to open the server... even if i want to play single player, i have to wait on the server.
    Next I finally wait to
    get online, and cannot... for 2 hours... this even I expected, it was the giant DDOS attack from users spamming the "login" button.
    Sign on this morning, its what I hoped it would be, it has everything Diablo had, and is fun overall, the crafting system, loot, and everything has been improved.
    Next the servers go down after 2 hours of play.... okay fine they are fixing things... so for the next 5-6 hours I wait, and finally get back online, things are great again....
    Then again, server is offline after 2 hours of play.... Seriously? It is only the American server being affected by what they do.
    This is just beyond words. they need to enable us to play offline if we want for SINGLE PLAYER only if this is the way it will be. If we want to play online, then fine, let us have access to the online auction house only with those characters....
    Id say avoid buying this game for a couple weeks to a month until they fix the issues... but its just beyond words with frustration on everything we have to go through as PAYING CUSTOMERS....
  75. May 15, 2012
    Exelent game, but kids should learn how to wait for something, how to fix their crap PCs to avoid errors, and how to calm the **** down when Blizz having a maintenance.
  76. May 20, 2012
    Nothing new in this game, its very very easy, simple point and click and that's about it. You will spend most of your time actually trying to get logged into the game even for single player!
    Most disappointed I've ever been with a game, played it for 3 days now and I'm tired of it.
  77. May 15, 2012
    When I booted up this game I was expecting some awesome loot fest with my bros. I'm talking like better than searching the sorority houses on rush week for chicks with low self-esteem. Instead I got tons of DRM, no PvP, tons of server problems, and a game that broverall needed some extra fist-pounding in development. It's a brotastrophe.
  78. May 15, 2012
    Piracy and console gaming has truly destroyed the PC gaming industry and Diablo 3 is just a horrific example of developers greed for making money.Diablo 3 is absolute piece of crap and i'd prefer the original diablo 2 billion times over it.Firstly the always online drm truly deprives you to even start that game and once luckily you get to play the SP then you for sure shed tears thinking "THERE GOES MY 60$" Gameplay is repititive,most of the customization elements found in diablo 2 are gone.The game is just a crappy remake of diablo 2 to satisfy developers money greed. DIABLO 3 IS A COMPLETE FIASCO.Stay Away from this one! Expand
  79. May 15, 2012
    First of all I have to admit that I only played the beta. The things I noticed:
    1. Always-on-DRM: seriously? Why do I need to be online in order to play a game in singleplayer mode? This means I can't play Diablo 3 if I'm on the road/vacation/literally everywhere where I don't have access to the internet. Good call Blizz.
    2. Casualization: So they decided to remove skillpoints, introduced
    achievements, auto-identify objects, town-portal button, removed the Horadrim cube, no PvP, etc. This list goes on. What I want to say with this is that by removing/introducing these features you removed the chance for the gamers to have a real challenging experience of the game. Of course there's still the Inferno mode, but as you have no control over your character besides the items you wear this is dumb. But I think the reason why they decided to do this will be shown in my 3rd point.
    3. Real-money auction house: WTF? You earn at least $1 for every transaction. When did you become so greedy? Right, it started with WoW, introducing mounts for $15 and this stuff. If this works for WoW then it'll work for SC2 (3 different games) and Diablo 3 as well. Hey, if the people are still buying it you would be dumb to not do this. Making the most money with the least effort was always the goal. So just convince the people that that what you're doing is the right thing and they'll believe you and buy this stuff.
    4. WoW-like experience: It starts with the engine which pretty much looks the same as the engine used in WoW. The textures and interface could also be from that game. Since Blizzards acquisition from Activision this company went down. This is only my opinion, people might or might not share it, but since WoW I've been watching the transition from Blizzard to greedy Activision/Blizzard and I'm boycotting every of there games until they change back to their old standards.
  80. May 15, 2012
    Just completed normal, and half of nightmare, its boring and all about crafting, no fun, no cool items, noo cool monsters, music is boring, graphics are old. Giving one for old blizzard reputation.
  81. May 15, 2012
    Within the first few hours, it is obvious to see why so many are disappointed with something that was hyped up so much. Even if you ignore the DRM, the lag and the disconnections (as it is the first day), the game lacks any rpg substance that made the previous titles so good. Among other things, there is no depth in the way skills are managed, no attribute points, no customization what so ever (and by this I mean in any way, as everyone will have the same build as you),, and you can't even use your primary weapon to attack (that's right, it's just for show). Even if we ignore these, the game itself it just boring relative to other RPGs. Diablo 2, a 13 year old game, is actually much funner to play than this. If you're looking for a good sequel to Diablo, a true rpg game, or even a game that has any play value, I would highly recommend to look past this, it is definitely not up to scratch. And if you don't know where to go after reading this, I urge you to try the game dark souls, it is a brilliant rpg. Expand
  82. May 15, 2012
    It's a scam, pay but you can't play - error 37, error 75, error 30007... They require you to be online to play, but they have no servers for you to play on as everything is dead.
  83. May 17, 2012
    So, after finally getting through the multitude of errors stopping me from playing the game i payed for, the games a dud. It doesn't feel like diablo. I loved, and still love d2, so much i beat nightmare on hardcore. But you have no customization. Every other witch doctor has more or less the same skills as you, your choices simply do not matter.

Oh and heres a bit of news that will
    probably piss some people off. The always on DRM failed. So while i am unable to play the game due to internet outage, or "Scheduled downtime" The people who stole the game are playing singleplayer without blizzard hovering over their shoulder. First you try to rip me off selling me 3 copies of SC2, and now this? Whatever blizzard, you've lost a customer. Expand
  84. May 17, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a rehash of Diablo 2 game mechanics wise, all that has changed is the progression has been simplified for people and the art style has changed towards WoW. There has been no innovation, even after a decade. Diablo 2 had it's flaws, absolutely none were fixed and although very few, more were introduced.
    This game is as shallow as they come. The only thing it does well is give
    you a great sense of progression, blizzard has captured how to do this exceptionally, and I hate to put it like this, but essentially the game provides fake fun On top of this, they promised the new way of progression would leave us with all kinds of builds and unique ways to end up. This is not true, all people have been building the same as they level up, then when it gets to 30-60 you have only 2-3 builds to choose from per character (unless you want to choose something... thats obvious nonsense....)
    This game is worth $60 if money is literally dirt to you.

[Server lag and AFK timeouts in my single player experience]
  85. May 16, 2012
    Any game that requires the player to have a broadband internet connection in his home just to play the single player campaign gets a big fat zero from me.
  86. May 21, 2012
    Dumbed down and disappointing and downright dull. The DRM is a dick move. Hard to believe this game has been in development for a year let alone a decade. Too easy and too short and the story was just some hack job. Terrible game.
  87. May 17, 2012
    Viciously disappointed. The beauty and essence of the originals has been completely lost on these idiots. My god, do they not understand that the simple pleasure in playing the game was in the finding of that one item that would tilt the odds, the reaching of that one skill level that would give you the edge, and that the finding of the right combination of the two was in itself so satisfying that any shortfalls in other areas of the game were completely overlooked?
    There is no magic here. Just right click. No value in the item you find. No care for the skill level you might achieve. Just hack. and slash. and wonder how Blizzard lost it so badly.
  88. May 15, 2012
    If this is not your first blizzard game, you should have known better. I have never seen a single smooth Blizzard launch. People are giving this game 0 scores while they haven't even played it, they are just raging and spoiled 12 year olds who can't play their game after their day of school, or people acting like them. I have currently played 4-5 hours into the story, and I really enjoyed myself, that is what I base my score on. Expand
  89. May 15, 2012
    Designer Shigeru Miyamoto once said that the first 30 minutes of a game are the most important. So I hope youâ
  90. May 15, 2012
    I can't play the game, I get some error code - server busy or somethng like that. I thought the game had single player campain, that's why I got? I try to contact tech support but the site is down or timeout. My friends told me Blizzards is the great game company - get game, I feel very disappoint now - just waste my money and can't play it :(
  91. May 15, 2012
    Pretty fun gameplay, but the requirement to be always online is ridiculous. If someone is torrenting on your network, enjoy the high ping for both the singleplayer and multiplayer experiences.
  92. May 15, 2012
    Unfortunately the graphics look dated and the game breaking bug is terrible. DRM ruined everything. The first level is nice, but then you realize that something is wrong. At some point, spaghetti got out from the main character, and they get on the floor and walk the dinosaur.
  93. May 15, 2012
    Sadly i was expecting a better game. No character customization, no more attribute points to distribute, which would easily make the game a little deeper. And skills unlock automatically... this is a disaster.
    It seems like blizzard released their second bad game. First one was the world of warcraft.
  94. May 15, 2012
    Let me start by saying that I wanted to like this game SO MUCH... But unfortunately, I feel like I'm walking out of Star Wars Episode I all over again... Requiring internet connectivity is inexcusable, particularly when you cannot support the traffic. Blizzard should know better... That aside, the game itself is a let down for Diablo fans. The gameplay is simplified to the extent where it's unrecognizable to its heritage, and the lack of ability to customize your character is sad. Blizzard missed a HUGE opportunity here by trimming the story down to a FPS length -- The gameplay is super short, and the acting/VOs are laughable. (insert frowny face) Expand
  95. May 15, 2012
    I didn't wait 12 years for forced online DRM with **** servers that boot your ass out every 15 minutes and pay2win RMAH.

0/10 **** casualcore wouldn't play again.
  96. May 15, 2012
    This may be worth a higher score someday but as it's currently unplayable due to the DRM measures Blizzard think "enhance the player experience" at the moment it's right in the unplayable piece of **** category
  97. May 15, 2012
    Why is this game named Diablo? The have successfully destroyed what made Diablo 1 & 2 great. They should have named it Call of Demon. This is like Call of Duty meets Diablo. Garbage game... I beat it in 3.5 hours. This is the most dumbed down game ever. Took the week off work for nothing...
  98. May 18, 2012
    i didnt wanted another diablo 1 or 2, i wanted something improved. is not the case here. for example starcraft 1 is like sc 2 but sc2 has a much faster gameplay focused on micro, is more modern, diablo 3 is not moder, is a diablo 2 more simplified. for example i dont understand why does the unidentified items exist as long as you just right click on them and they auto-identify. they should have focused on something else to make the gameplay more interesting, not just killing monsters, thats boring and should have been just a necessity, just a step towards something more interesting, like upgrading your hero or something. learn new tricks/skills/jobs, etc. in this moment i see diablo 3 as a flash-zombie-killing-game with a better graphics and atmosphere. kind of lame, is nothing modern about that. not even the search for items is not the same, you just buy them. disappointing Expand
  99. May 15, 2012
    Amazing game! Sure, the wait was brutal, but once I got on, I was blown away! Anyone saying that they've beat it in 4-6 hours is trolling you. Same thing goes for people saying it's too easy. They have no concept of the Hell, Nightmare, and Inferno difficulties. Sure, the game is easy when it's on easy mode. My only regret is that I had to work today (it was also a tad too expensive for my taste).
  100. May 15, 2012
    Graphics are a VERY slight update from Diablo2, yet it runs nowhere near as smoothly on a computer with well over 4 times the processing power. The game play is literally only about 5 hours long, with some completing the game start to finish in just over 2 hours. Character system is dull and unimaginative. Skills are entirely too WoW-based. Bottom line, this game is fanfare. It only passes because it is "Diablo" and people accept it for nostalgic purposes. It costs about $60; and this is for a game that is 2-5 hours long. many indie games I purchase on steam have more than 2-3 times the play time for a play through, cost about 1/4 - 1/3 as much, and have originality to them.
    Bottom line- it is a bland, unfinished, ill conceived game. I would wait at the bare minimum 9-12 months and buy the GOTY edition for $30 and it is fully patched.
  101. May 16, 2012
    Well this game sure sucks. Had it been just a random game from an unknown developer I would not be this hard on it. In fact it would be somewhat respectable, but this is Diablo 3. Turns out it is a bastard mix between Diablo 2 and WOW, but without the parts that made the Diablo prequels great. Dumbed down, cartooned up and absolutely uninspiring to me. This is what I feared since the first images and info from this game emerged years ago. Blizzard was the gaming company I held above all other, now I just despise them. F U Blizzard! Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012