4.0

1. May 17, 2012
    Even more repetitive than the others with the REALLY ANNOYING DRM... Disappointing... At least the others were somehow more captivating than this one...
  2. May 17, 2012
    The end of an era. Though Diablo 3 can be seen as an improvement in many ways, it is has lost the advantage to games of the time that it's predecessors had. The graphics, monster ai, and user interface feel like the best 2006 has to offer, but are all better then the previous iteration. The bad: complete lack of character progression, auction house can sell you loot that makes game tooThe end of an era. Though Diablo 3 can be seen as an improvement in many ways, it is has lost the advantage to games of the time that it's predecessors had. The graphics, monster ai, and user interface feel like the best 2006 has to offer, but are all better then the previous iteration. The bad: complete lack of character progression, auction house can sell you loot that makes game too easy, auction house has not worked properly since release, loot has been dumbed down and different weapon types are just for show, game servers are constantly down and laggy, story is by far the worst blizzard has ever written, and core gameplay is essentially the same.

The good: cutscenes!
  3. May 17, 2012
    Oh Blizzard, what have you done? Back in the day, I was a huge fan of D2 and Lord of Destruction, but this... Number 1, the graphics and entire environment look like a cartoon. Gone is the dark, creepy, brooding feel of D1/D2. Undead are no longer scary; they're just noisy targets that explode quite comically when you bludgeon them. This game reminds me of WoW, and I don't play WoW for aOh Blizzard, what have you done? Back in the day, I was a huge fan of D2 and Lord of Destruction, but this... Number 1, the graphics and entire environment look like a cartoon. Gone is the dark, creepy, brooding feel of D1/D2. Undead are no longer scary; they're just noisy targets that explode quite comically when you bludgeon them. This game reminds me of WoW, and I don't play WoW for a reason: it's whimsical. Silly. Carnival-esque. I like DARK fantasy, not magical gem-farting kobolds and Disney-level plot devices. Number 2, what the hell is up with a one-player game that forces you to play online? My hardware is far and above the recommended for this game, and I have a very reliable internet connection. Guess what I just did, though? Yep, lagged out and died. Finally - and I had a bad feeling about this one before even learning the true horror of its existence - pay-to-play items?! This is insulting. I know people used to do this kind of thing on eBay, but now Blizzard is trying to cash in with absurd user fees? I wonder how many companies in China were formed this week just to take advantage of this "feature." I was waiting for this game for a long time, and now I'm angry. This is basically betrayal, Blizzard. The only blessing I see here is that I'm one of the lucky few who played through the entire free demo and then read some online reviews...so my $60 hasn't gone down the drain yet. And won't. I'd rather spend it on something useful and gratifying, like cheese. Expand
  4. May 17, 2012
    The service is very **** at Asia.
    When I got the game. I have never connect to battle net steady.
    I think Blizzard do a wrong thing. It estimate fail at Asia.
  5. May 17, 2012
    I am disgusted by grubs that took a winning model (hello, Diablo II is STILL selling well in stores, grubs!) and clamped something down on it so I CAN'T EVEN PLAY SINGLE PLAYER ON A GAME I JUST BOUGHT. Never again. Do you understand me? No Starscraft, no Diablo, no WOW, nothing. I wash my hands of you.
  6. May 17, 2012
    As a diehard D2 player... i must say, i'm completely disappointed with this game. When I completed the game both on normal and nightmare... I felt depressed, thinking... what has this series come to? Blizzard has gotten rid of a lot of things that made D2 great and replayable even after 12 years. The ones who like it are either people who play WOW and other MMOs, or people who weren'tAs a diehard D2 player... i must say, i'm completely disappointed with this game. When I completed the game both on normal and nightmare... I felt depressed, thinking... what has this series come to? Blizzard has gotten rid of a lot of things that made D2 great and replayable even after 12 years. The ones who like it are either people who play WOW and other MMOs, or people who weren't diehard Diablo 2 players ....some diehard diablo 2 players like it though, which is baffling. Expand
  7. May 17, 2012
    D3 Asia's server can't login for 3 days, effect millions asia players and official still do nothing for it, I've never seen such a bad customer service like this.
  8. May 17, 2012
    From a former diehard D2 fan, D3 is severely lacking in a lot of ways. Most notably, the lack of skill tree. Also, from a gamer standpoint, the fact that we have to play on Battle.Net (even for single player) is really frustrating (sorry, you can't play your game because our computer is broken). Finally, there does seem to be a real lack of expansion or improvements, and I'm severelyFrom a former diehard D2 fan, D3 is severely lacking in a lot of ways. Most notably, the lack of skill tree. Also, from a gamer standpoint, the fact that we have to play on Battle.Net (even for single player) is really frustrating (sorry, you can't play your game because our computer is broken). Finally, there does seem to be a real lack of expansion or improvements, and I'm severely disappointed at only having 5 class choices.

On the other hand, from a general enthusiast and casual gamer's perspective, it's a lot of fun! My wife loves to play and getting her to play video games is almost as hard as performing brain surgery with knitting needles. But she digs it, so I'm happy it's simple (enjoyable?) enough for her to want to play, and that gives me a good reason not to rate it a Zero.
  9. May 17, 2012
    Played the demo of this game, thought it was pretty good until I got booted offline and I realized that I could not decide on my own when I could play the game. I will not pay for a product that I cannot use unless I am allowed. This is not an mmo, this is a single player game. It's too bad they made the decision to not include an offline mode. Hopefully this isn't an omen for the futurePlayed the demo of this game, thought it was pretty good until I got booted offline and I realized that I could not decide on my own when I could play the game. I will not pay for a product that I cannot use unless I am allowed. This is not an mmo, this is a single player game. It's too bad they made the decision to not include an offline mode. Hopefully this isn't an omen for the future of gaming. Expand
  10. May 17, 2012
    Coming from a die hard Diablo 2 fan, this is the worst excuse for a Diablo game that could have been created. I was expecting graphics similar to or atleast reminiscent of any of the Diablo games, but no it isn't. It's a watered down cartoonish shadow of Diablo that I may have enjoyed when I was 10 years old and that's if I had never played a Diablo game before. They took out everything IComing from a die hard Diablo 2 fan, this is the worst excuse for a Diablo game that could have been created. I was expecting graphics similar to or atleast reminiscent of any of the Diablo games, but no it isn't. It's a watered down cartoonish shadow of Diablo that I may have enjoyed when I was 10 years old and that's if I had never played a Diablo game before. They took out everything I loved. I.E The skills you had to EARN, the character diversity, the amazing dialogue and the bloody graphics almost rusty style of graphics that I personally loved. This is a HORRIBLE EXCUSE OF A GAME. DO NOT BUY IT. Expand
  11. May 17, 2012
    I have waited for this game for long time, I paid, but I cant play !!! The game server is really bad, I'm always waiting for log in and always been kicked off by game server ! Especially, so many error messages occurred! It means that the product is not pass by QA, but it is on sail, I feel very disappoint !
    For DB3, BLZ is not the BLZ as before ! BLZ is dead !
  12. May 17, 2012
    D3 is such a crap and boring game now. Obvious greedy lunge for cash by stupid **** Blizzard **** company deserves to burn in Hell. Personally for strong fun constant action I suggest open RvR Team PvP along thelikes of NGD's Realms Online (also known as Regnum Online). The gamesamba.com server is fabulous. It's f2p, you get to kill real people instead of bots, and MOST OF ALL ITS FUN. DieD3 is such a crap and boring game now. Obvious greedy lunge for cash by stupid **** Blizzard **** company deserves to burn in Hell. Personally for strong fun constant action I suggest open RvR Team PvP along thelikes of NGD's Realms Online (also known as Regnum Online). The gamesamba.com server is fabulous. It's f2p, you get to kill real people instead of bots, and MOST OF ALL ITS FUN. Die Blizzard DIE!!! Expand
  13. May 17, 2012
    I'll keep it short and simple. There is no way for people to really express discontent with the gaming industry as a whole. If we don't buy the games people say we shouldn't have a voice, but if we buy the games we only support what we don't agree with.

I fall into the first category. I was very interested in buying Diablo 3 having played both 1 and 2 numerous times over. However, as a single player type gamer, and a person that doesn't have the best internet connection or desire to socialize I find it disheartening that few companies allow me to play games on my terms. Diablo 3 is just the next installment of software hating customers like me.

Always online DRM is something I'm just not going to support. A grind game where users can pay to advance faster. Both things I just can't and won't support. I still haven't bought Diablo 3. And unfortunately I never will. Bye Blizzard. You now are a member of the ranks of EA, Activision (yes I already knew you were part of them) and Ubisoft. Take your games and go screw yourself with them.

I'm buying and playing Torchlight 2 and other games developed for me as a consumer.
  14. May 17, 2012
    1.5 hours trying to install, I wouldn't even pirate any of your crap. I think your devs were telling the truth that you have been goofing off for ten years knowing you will cash in on name and expectations. Hope your fans remember this in future. I think getting it to install will be biggest test this game will offer.
  15. May 17, 2012
    Online connexion needed for the solo game part??
    Such a poor characters creation/customization?
    More a beat them all with Hns parts than a real Hns..
    All this waitaing for that? LOL
    Fortunately for you; the hype from the past ....
  16. May 17, 2012
    Since the time from when Diablo 3 was announced to the days before its release, my confidence in Blizzard has been severely shaken with some of the dissappointing games sequels they have released. And now, it seems that Diablo 3 is the game that broke the camels back. The respect I had for Blizzard being a revolutionary and innovative game publisher is all but lost. After paying the heftySince the time from when Diablo 3 was announced to the days before its release, my confidence in Blizzard has been severely shaken with some of the dissappointing games sequels they have released. And now, it seems that Diablo 3 is the game that broke the camels back. The respect I had for Blizzard being a revolutionary and innovative game publisher is all but lost. After paying the hefty $60 price, I am unable to play the game, not because of my computer specs, but the fact that the game has to be connected to the internet to play both multi and single player. I was aware of this fact when purchasing, however because Blizzard's server isn't even working properly, I might as well hang the diablo 3 DVD from my clothes line outside to keep the birds away; this way the DVD would actually be useful. In any other situation, if a company sells a product (or as Blizzard would like to call it, a service) in mass numbers that doesn't work, it would be refunded or recalled. This game is a perfect example of how corrupt the pc game industry has become, and how somehow it is the consumers who are out of line, because they are complaining about buying a $60 paperweight. Shame on Blizzard. By trying to discourage piracy with their always on single player connection, they only alienate the legitimate consumers who pay for their products. Moving past all of this, when actually able to play, the actual game itself is nothing new, rather an oversimplification of the former Diablo games. Attribute points are gone, character customization is limited to male or female, there is no options to choose skills (most of which are very unoriginal). In addition, the dark, moody graphics that helped define the Diablo series have been throw out for cartoony, WOW rip off graphics. To make things even worse, Diablo 3 has implemented real money, pay-to-win auction houses, allowing players to simply pay cash to create a strong player, rather than through their accomplishments in the game. To add insult to injury, players who use this feature will be helping to fatten Blizzard's wallet with every transaction, as Blizzard will be taking a 15% cut of all transactions, in additional to a $1 fee for every real money transaction. I am disgusted with Blizzard. 9 nine years in development and all we get is a money-making scheme disguised as the revolutionary Diablo 3 game that loyal fans to the series have eagerly been waiting for, taking advantage of their loyal consumer base. In closing, if there was one word to personify what I see Blizzard as after all this, it would have to be.. diablo. Expand
  17. May 17, 2012
    So, after a long day at work and prepare to unwind... SERVER MAINTENANCE! Why does server maintenance is always at the time where people starts to play in ASIA? You should start maintenance at 7pm to 12pm US time for a change.
  18. May 17, 2012
    So, after finally getting through the multitude of errors stopping me from playing the game i payed for, the games a dud. It doesn't feel like diablo. I loved, and still love d2, so much i beat nightmare on hardcore. But you have no customization. Every other witch doctor has more or less the same skills as you, your choices simply do not matter.

Oh and heres a bit of news that will

Oh and heres a bit of news that will probably piss some people off. The always on DRM failed. So while i am unable to play the game due to internet outage, or "Scheduled downtime" The people who stole the game are playing singleplayer without blizzard hovering over their shoulder. First you try to rip me off selling me 3 copies of SC2, and now this? Whatever blizzard, you've lost a customer.
  19. May 17, 2012
    This game is ruined for me because of the internet connectivity. I don't have anything new to say. I just wanted to give another 0 to help bring down the average. Fck you blizzard i will never purchase another one of your games.
  20. May 17, 2012
    It's unfortunate and a major disappointment. I'm surprised all the 'paid for reviews' gave this game an average '86' Metascore. To recap what others have stated: 1.) No offline gameplay
    2.) Even if you play alone in a private game to get a 'single player' feel, you get disconnected frequently and losing progress.
    3.) Cash shop / auction house / pay to win 4.) No PvP / Hostility
    3.) Cash shop / auction house / pay to win
    4.) No PvP / Hostility Flagging
    5.) Cartoon-like / World of Warcraft textures / League of Legends graphics ( a major shift from the dark Diablo 1 & 2 games)
    6.) They took out skill points and stat points so you can't experiment or build your character to your play style.
    7.) Average completion of normal mode is about 7-12 hours.

All in all, I wish the original developers made this game. They wouldn't have fked it up so bad. There's probably a reason they stopped at Diablo 2. It feels like they just pulled more prime evils out of their ass to milk the Diablo franchise.
  21. May 17, 2012
    if you want my review of the game look at koroshiya_ichi review. Gone are the days when blizzard was a gamers company. Now blizzard is just about herding as many casual gamers as possible to play there games. Even if it means abandoning the hardcore gamers that built blizzard to start with. They will not get another penny of my hard earned money.
  22. May 17, 2012
    This is my latest review, and a copy of a direct ticket i sent to the consumer support of Battle Net:

"I wish to report Blizzard for failure to fulfill the promise in a contract of sale of your product, the game Diablo 3. Why can´t I play the game when I want, because not just i have an internet connection running on the client side, it is necessary that your servers have the ability to manage all the copies sold. In addition the game content is far below the title that supports the Brand Diablo, which I was a frequent player in D1, D2 and D2LOD (game I still play), as such, and because of the failure on the part of your company promised to comply with this both aspects i want to unilateral denunce this purchase and pretend the return off all money paid. Cancelling my subscription of your game. If this is not the correct topic please send me to the site due. I am defrauded and I will take the legal steps necessary to see my consumer rights safeguarded. Sincerely,
    .......(My name)...."
  23. May 17, 2012
    A one might be generous as of now... at first I bought the game just to be told I was below the system requirements and not even able to install the game. This isn't in the ToS or anything, spent a lot of time looking for a work around the only thing I was able to find is a crack for single player, but i bought the game... so I attempted to over-clock my cpu, alright that worked can nowA one might be generous as of now... at first I bought the game just to be told I was below the system requirements and not even able to install the game. This isn't in the ToS or anything, spent a lot of time looking for a work around the only thing I was able to find is a crack for single player, but i bought the game... so I attempted to over-clock my cpu, alright that worked can now play the game, but reality isn't so kind as I find that my internet has been shut off and can not play the game. My internet is turned back on but my computer was dead as well prebuilt wasn't prepared for a .2 GHz overclock and had died later that day (RIP) I could play all modern day games just fine, such as the Witcher 2 thanks to my graphics card and for the short time I was able to have it installed I couldn't play due to my ISP hell the D2 copy that came with the game won't let me on to battle.net as "Unable to identify versions" sure my opinion may change when i rebuild my computer and am able to actually play the game, but for now it gets a one and a one only because i haven't been able to ply it Expand
  24. May 17, 2012
    like SC2, updated graphics on the same old game, which was great at the time...but gaming evolved, this is definitely a step backwards. This is not a MMORPG nor it is a single player experience. Whats the point of completing levels again and again for that rare item when you can't even show it off to a large number of people? whats the point of pre-order wings? whos there to see them?like SC2, updated graphics on the same old game, which was great at the time...but gaming evolved, this is definitely a step backwards. This is not a MMORPG nor it is a single player experience. Whats the point of completing levels again and again for that rare item when you can't even show it off to a large number of people? whats the point of pre-order wings? whos there to see them? like spore, like MW3, this is a game for reviewers and not core gamers Expand
  25. May 17, 2012
    I should have expected this to be as bad as it is when I couldn't even play the beta due to my graphics card not being supported. Really? I have been playing now for about 8hrs and don't see anything that should cause my old card to have issues. It really is a shame I (we) have waited this long for a game only for it to have such an epic fail. Server issues suck, slow laggy graphics,I should have expected this to be as bad as it is when I couldn't even play the beta due to my graphics card not being supported. Really? I have been playing now for about 8hrs and don't see anything that should cause my old card to have issues. It really is a shame I (we) have waited this long for a game only for it to have such an epic fail. Server issues suck, slow laggy graphics, probably due to always on connection speeds, and what appears so far to be a single progression path as far as the game goes is making this a huge disappointment for me. The only saving grace is that I got the game for free with my yearly WOW subscription. Expand
  26. May 17, 2012
    I have reservations about this game. The complaints on here about servers have nothing to do with the actual game content. There are moments in this game that are great and some not so great. I find myself often getting caught up in the old hacking and looting days of Diablo and Diablo II...Every once in a while though it tends to fill contrived. A lot of the same complaints people madeI have reservations about this game. The complaints on here about servers have nothing to do with the actual game content. There are moments in this game that are great and some not so great. I find myself often getting caught up in the old hacking and looting days of Diablo and Diablo II...Every once in a while though it tends to fill contrived. A lot of the same complaints people made about Diablo II are still being made. People don't like change and they don't like it when you change their favorites. This is basically a no win situation for Diablo III for some gamers. I like it, but I am not fooling myself. Diablo succumbed to the same vice as so many franchises, artists and musicians..imitation..It became a product. Expand
  27. May 17, 2012
    A Ponzi scheme with absolutely nothing worth going for in return.
    Transform your e-penis complexes into amazing gear for real money: Diablo III is here!
  28. May 17, 2012
    This is the first ever single player game I have ever played that had a scheduled maintenance.
    Yes, there was a scheduled maintenance last night for 2hrs.. scheduled meaning there will be many more to come.. Again, I can't even enjoy playing solo just leveling because their servers have a weekly scheduled maintenance.
    Blizzard totally screwed us over with always online crap.. Oh yea the
    Blizzard totally screwed us over with always online crap..
    Oh yea the game itself is short.. too short for a 12yr hiatus. As others have said, the graphics and average for this day and age, at times I felt like i was playing Diablo II again, but Diablo II was many years ahead of its time when it was released. I really hope Blizzard staff can get an idea of how the gamers feel and try to understand our feed back..
  29. May 17, 2012
    Simply the largest flop of 2012. No character development, overly simplistic grinding gameplay, overly simplistic skill system, terrible graphics and no replay value. No innovation and buggy as all hell. Bring on GW2.
  30. SIl
    May 17, 2012
    For single play, Blizzard insisted gamers be online at all times, which is pathetic, limiting where and when they can enjoy their paid game. The result, with fantastic servers from Blizzard:
    Error 37
    Error 75 Error 3006 Error 3003 Error 12 You get the the drift I won't list the 10,000 different errors you may encounter. For fans of D II and D I news aren't good either. The
    Error 37
    Error 75
    Error 3006
    Error 3003
    Error 12

For fans of D II and D I news aren't good either. The graphics lost their appeal and enthralling addictive dark quality. While it doesn't look as bas as LoL it doesn't look good appealing and diablo-like.

Foreshadowing Mist of Pandaria D III loses its RPG appeal. Levels are just numbers say goodbye talent points and skills, catering for angry birds and farmville players.

Like in Free-2-play MMORPG you can purchase better game changing items with real money, the difference being Diablo is not free and Blizzard takes its tidy profit cut on all auctions. Of course this is a boon for Chinese farmers and an invitation to hack accounts.

To summarise Diablo III may be interesting to young new players who never played Diablo II or III and want a quick game that can be played with one or two keys.

For the legacy players, the appeal may be much more limited.
  31. May 17, 2012
    First I couldn't install the game 'invalid installation options'.... which was due to me clicking on the autorun button to install diablo 3 (Who knows).... I finally installed the game. And I can't enjoy the single player portion of the game as my internet connection drops out, and SINGLE PLAYER DISCONNECTS!! ... this is ridiculous... I never had such a stupid experience with a gameFirst I couldn't install the game 'invalid installation options'.... which was due to me clicking on the autorun button to install diablo 3 (Who knows).... I finally installed the game. And I can't enjoy the single player portion of the game as my internet connection drops out, and SINGLE PLAYER DISCONNECTS!! ... this is ridiculous... I never had such a stupid experience with a game before. Diablo 1 and 2 were made by a different development branch who are now working on Torchlight 2... Will be buy that, at least I will be able to enjoy Single Player....

If the always on internet connection is required to stop pirating, then you are just slapping everyone in the face who actually purchases the game.

Unimpressed Blizzard ...

The only good thing i've enjoyed so far is the music from the installation screen.
  32. May 17, 2012
    I don't wanna sound like a rage nerd but i joined metacritic to make a statement. In Summary - a failed launch (previous sales of the game were known in preorders sales to other distributors how can you not have enough servers to support that!?) 80 minutes to log into servers wtf?

- dumbed down monkey play system (any fool knows this does not hold a candle to the re playability of d2 everyone is the same with same skills just need to unlock the levels) you don't have to think about playing it again cause once your hero is maxed out they know everything!?

- pathetic server that constantly crashes (still getting 37 error 3006 error also being booted out and constant maintenence) I AM IN AUSTRALIA why am i in a US SERVER!?(no offense to those people) My ping is high i can't ENJOY THE GAME WHEN I DIE ON HARD CORE MODE CAUSE OF FREEZE FRAME LAG - stupid DRM when u play single player if you don't have a stable internet you know what guys? you can't play it... it will boot you and you lose your items great. you can't play it on the laptop and do some fun runs because you don't have internet. - pay to win(yes useless noblets will pay REAL CURRENCY to buy gold/items later on and own your face in PVP just because they have more money than you to spend to buy items they want. WTF is the point of being a peasant in a game are you serious who signs up to that?) - crappy graphics(torchlight looks better honestly nothing stands out plain bland graphics and just sad all round performance i have no idea why it needs a beefy comp to run those sorts of pathetic images)

- short gameplay (Koreans finished this game in 2-3 hours much replayability there? YES I KNOW WE ARE NOT KOREANS BUT it's short don't be expected to keep you entertained for long )

- Everything else is what it is a train wreck mediocre joke. i won't be supporting your stupid expansions and i don't think anyone should support their further expansions of diablo 3 I am not on the blizzard hate wagon i loved their titles (starcraft I and II, diablo 2, warcraft III FT I OWN ALL LEGIT) I once supported the company but on this occasion i cannot... it's not a matter of being spoilt it's a matter of principle that this is a joke and many people feel robbed for what they paid for a game that should not cost more than $5 AUD or $5 USD or $5 GBP. hang your heads in shame it might not affect you now as you are a multibillion dollar company but guess what lennon brothers died(who would have guessed!?). You used our hard earnt money to build your empire! If you hurt your loyal customers you will fall from grace, you are not the king of PC video games PC buyers can just choose to shun you out like they did to UBISOFT and you will become a thing of the past ... which is where this game belongs in the past!
  33. May 17, 2012
    Not all people have good internet connection and it comes as big suprise that single player campaign requires an internet connection which has no real purpose of the single player experience. Blizzard has now become a company that cares about game sales rather than pleasing the hardcore fans that help them achieve there current status. SUCH A SHAME..
  34. May 17, 2012
    I was a huge fan of Diablo 1 and 2, but this is just ridiculous. The game is a fine addition to the Diablo series, even though it is horribly dumbed down for the casual gamer masses. It's apparent that Blizzard doesn't care about their customers and are just another greedy corporation. The invasive DRM kills it for me. WHY THE HELL DO I NEED TO HAVE INTERNET ACCESS FOR SINGLEPLAYER? So, ifI was a huge fan of Diablo 1 and 2, but this is just ridiculous. The game is a fine addition to the Diablo series, even though it is horribly dumbed down for the casual gamer masses. It's apparent that Blizzard doesn't care about their customers and are just another greedy corporation. The invasive DRM kills it for me. WHY THE HELL DO I NEED TO HAVE INTERNET ACCESS FOR SINGLEPLAYER? So, if my internet dies, I can't play my game? Cool... I wish I could return it, this game really wasn't worth $60. Expand
  35. May 17, 2012
    Complete waste of time and money, can't even play single player due to a ping of 700 consistently. The series is ruined and I wish I bought torchlight instead. Let's get the rating to 3.7
  36. May 17, 2012
    The need for a constant internet connection and the fact their servers CONTINUE to drop has just disgusted me.

Aside from that, no original content, zero character customization. Absolutely no replay value. If you haven't purchased this game yet, wait until it hits the value bin, you won't have to wait long
  37. May 17, 2012
    This game is the greatest letdown of my gaming career. The combat is interesting, but the abyssmal plot, lack of character customization, the lack of any sort of endgame or clear goals after a single 6 hour playthrough, and the rediculous setup of the long hyped auction house quickly turned my excitement to disgust that I wasted $60. The only strong innovation is the expanded andThis game is the greatest letdown of my gaming career. The combat is interesting, but the abyssmal plot, lack of character customization, the lack of any sort of endgame or clear goals after a single 6 hour playthrough, and the rediculous setup of the long hyped auction house quickly turned my excitement to disgust that I wasted $60. The only strong innovation is the expanded and improved use of blizzard's battlenet social features. Expand
  38. May 17, 2012
    What a huge disappointment! Quiet annoyed about having to fork out £44 for this. It is a terrible game and I want my money back. Its a lot to pay for a game and frankly I expected more. Its quiet obvious that I've paid £44 for the maintenance of servers so Blizzard can capitalize on their profits. Clearly very little of that money has gone into the development ofWhat a huge disappointment! Quiet annoyed about having to fork out £44 for this. It is a terrible game and I want my money back. Its a lot to pay for a game and frankly I expected more. Its quiet obvious that I've paid £44 for the maintenance of servers so Blizzard can capitalize on their profits. Clearly very little of that money has gone into the development of this game. I'm not going to go over the connection issues and other bugs, they've been well documented. I want to talk about how I'm really bored of this game. Its a bland, its easy, its boring. The gameplay is so one dimensional its painful. When Blizzard first pitched this game we were promised a game that would require more strategy over the previous titles, but honestly, it more point and click than Diablo 2. And thats saying something. The storyline is basic, the twists are obvious, the music...oh don't get me started on the music! Its like Diablo has lost its soul. A lot of people have commented positively on the voice acting. I honestly don't see why. The actors sound too jovial for a game like this. There's no sense of danger, no sense of urgency, its like 'who cares' whether you kill Diablo or not. The fear of fighting your way through the world of sanctuary has gone. You cant take this game seriously because it looks like a cartoon. Even Hello Kitty looks more menacing than the monsters in Diablo 3.

And its the little things too like the sound effects. It sounds kak. You don't feel like your interacting with a system, rather passing through a load of screens. I was really looking forward to this game and ignored a lot of the negative comments directed towards it. This game had so much potential, I cannot believe that Blizzard have managed to sc@w it up.

If it was £20, then yea, fair do's you expect to have to take a gamble on a game at that price. But its £44! You expect something a lot more polished. Torchlight cost me £15 and that even though it doesn't have half the stuff Diablo 3 does, its still far more enjoyable. And I don't have to have a constant internet connection to play. C'mon Blizzard, that's a lot of money for people to pay, especially in this climate. What were you thinking?! Paying for a game like this would actually do more to encourage piracy than to put it off.

I was so annoyed that I created a metacritic account especially to express my annoyance. What I cant believe either are the critics reviews. Any reviewer worth their salt would not give this a positive score. Its just a joke. In my opinion their all sucking up to Blizzard and they should be ashamed of themselves. Consumers rely on critics to do their jobs so people don't get conned into buying something they won't like. I refuse to believe that every critic thought this game deserved over 80%. Not just because of personal experience, but because of the huge numbers of users that have given it a negative review. You might argue that there are over 800 positive reviews, but if you read them, you'll notice that alot of them are protest reviews against the negative one. So far I haven't seen one negative critic review and that says it all. We've been conned by Blizzard and we've been conned by the critics. I'm going to ask for my money back and I'm going to boycott Blizzard games from now on.
  39. May 17, 2012
    Outgrowing gaming was something I had begun to accept - especially with PC gaming and its decline. My hopes haven't withered away entirely, with prospects from Bethesda and Blizzard and the upcoming Guild Wars 2 keeping my hopes afloat. I think we can all agree the Diablo series maintains superior replay value for games of their day and age. Unfortunately, video gaming is constantlyOutgrowing gaming was something I had begun to accept - especially with PC gaming and its decline. My hopes haven't withered away entirely, with prospects from Bethesda and Blizzard and the upcoming Guild Wars 2 keeping my hopes afloat. I think we can all agree the Diablo series maintains superior replay value for games of their day and age. Unfortunately, video gaming is constantly ever-changing. Console-tards have overrun the video game world. Their need for instant gratification and simplification and flashiness has eventually seeped into PC gaming (cough* Skyrim and there removal of attributes, stuff from previous installments, etc.). Though I'm not that old, I'm a longtime vet of old school titles like the Diablo series. Like many of you, I grew up with the game. I f**king loved it. Still do.

My point is this: The people who made this game aren't the original devs. They borrowed concepts from other oversimplified games, made their own oversimplified Diablo clone, and made Diablo into a chick. Seriously? It's all about the money, isn't it Vivendi? I should have known better. But I digress. - Character development simplified. All skills auto unlock (which is horsef**k). Skills can't be upgraded to your liking with points invested into them (the one thing they should have kept). No attribute distribution. Completely unoriginal skills and effects. The RPG element has dissipated severely. You can make your character male or female. Customization can't get much more depth than that. /sarcasm

- The original "dark/fantasy/horror" theme of the game is lost. It adopted the cartoon-world style that WoW has. I remember the "grittiness" playing Diablo in the dark, while nearly sh**ing my pants when the Butcher came out of his room. I'm not going to complain about the outdated visuals too much, since the original Diablo games weren't renowned for their graphics. They did what worked - which is what I hoped they would do here. But they didn't.

- Plot is terrible. Diablo and Diablo 2 weren't the best, I'll admit. By best, I mean something along the lines of Final Fantasy VII and X. How many years was Diablo 3 in making? With all those years of development, I would expect something refreshing in the least. I predicted so many parts of the story it wasn't even funny. I feel like I've been lied to. I can't help but to speculate that the game began development a year or two ago, and they've just been hyping people up all these years to make money (i.e. Chinese Democracy - Guns N' Roses)

- Sound and effects were alright.

- I will admit, the auction house was sweet. But they're implementing a real money auction house, where they get a cut. Way to turn the tables on those pesky Chinese farmers, Blizzard. At least they've realized you can't get rid of them; so why not join them, right? #allaboutthe$

- Buggy launch is buggy

- Gameplay isn't all THAT bad compared to originals. Diablo was a point and click game originally, but it shouldn't take all these years to realize a game with the exact same concept. People will get their hopes up and expect something unique and original, only to be shot down by something stagnant.

- Need internet to play? No single player offline? Self explanatory.

- No PvP. One of the reasons I continued play and developing my characters in Diablo 2 for years on and off was the fact I could poop on the chests of newcomers. When it hasn't been implemented, it implies several things: Character skills and attributes weren't too well thought out. By this, I think they created them for PvE, disregarding the balance and effects players would have combatting eachother. It means the game is unfinished. They took too long making it, haven't finished, and rushed it into the fray to ease the ever growing throng of Diablo-fanboy piranhas (like myself, admittedly). Shoulda saw it coming when SC2 was announced, boys. - Bringing back old school characters to induce nostalgia in older players? Didn't do it for me. I was actually offended seeing these monsters I've slain in the past magically brought back out of nowhere. The only one I wouldn't have been disappointed with and wasn't brought back was Andariel, so I could pause the game and look at her boobies jiggle. Then again, they probably would have taken that out too. Overall, I'm disappointed. It lost that effective formula that I can't quite put my finger on, which kept me and so many others coming back. If you're a fan of the series, don't give in to capitalism and waste your money on this oversimplified Diablo clone. Yes, I'm putting on the level of a "clone" and not an actual title within the series. It's that bad. Like the hero of old who slew Diablo beneath Tristram and became the Dark Wanderer, this game too is nothing more than a shadow of it's former glories. 1/10.
  40. May 17, 2012
    *Serious Gamers Only* IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS TRY PATH OF EXILE you'll find all the complexity diablo 2 had and alot more together with a darker and more mature graphic, plus it is F2P (atm is in closed beta with a beta key buyable for 10 dollars) and will always be f2p apart from COSMETIC ONLY extra features that you will be able to buy in item shop for example extra gore etc. that wont*Serious Gamers Only* IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS TRY PATH OF EXILE you'll find all the complexity diablo 2 had and alot more together with a darker and more mature graphic, plus it is F2P (atm is in closed beta with a beta key buyable for 10 dollars) and will always be f2p apart from COSMETIC ONLY extra features that you will be able to buy in item shop for example extra gore etc. that wont unbalance the game at all**
    Now onto diablo 3, i'm an avid player of the first mentioned game but i bought diablo 3 anyway knowing i didnt have to expect alot because i was in the beta. Finished normal difficulty so far and i find the game quite enjoyable and fun, good for casual games and good for waiting for the open beta of the first mentioned game.
    This shouldnt be called diablo 3, more like WORLD OF DIABLOCRAFT, if it had a different name people would not be raging atm, but calling it the successor of the great games that were diablo and diablo 2 is really arrogant towards real fans of the complex aspects of the former 2 games that made them great.
    Diablo for kids and casual gamers, good for wasting time, probably still worth an 8 because it's quite a decent game on its own, but boy if you insist in calling it diablo 3 it deserves a 4/10 score max.

p.s. i'm not affiliated in any way to the company of the first game mentioned, i'm jst an enthusiastic fan of it which, like many and many others, donated real money willingly and without acquiring any advantage in game to such company just because it is worth that much
  41. May 17, 2012
    Total waste of $60. This game should be on the under 5$ shelf. Graphics look great for a game that came out in the 90's. Skills? What skills, there are no skills/sill points its all handheld point click to give the illusion of customization. I don't think I need to get into the lag and rampant dc issues, people have already covered that quite well here. What the game really seems toTotal waste of $60. This game should be on the under 5$ shelf. Graphics look great for a game that came out in the 90's. Skills? What skills, there are no skills/sill points its all handheld point click to give the illusion of customization. I don't think I need to get into the lag and rampant dc issues, people have already covered that quite well here. What the game really seems to be is just an automated system enabling the rmah. I'd give it a 4 or 5 if it supported true single player. Expand
  42. May 17, 2012
    This is a console hack and slash on the PC. The story line (Because I loved D1 and D2) is amazing, the cinematic are great, but the game play is really bad. You can use up to 6 spells (I'm guessing this is to make the port to console better?) and the builds have little customization. Mix this with the fact 3 days after launch the servers are still unstable and you get a game that shouldThis is a console hack and slash on the PC. The story line (Because I loved D1 and D2) is amazing, the cinematic are great, but the game play is really bad. You can use up to 6 spells (I'm guessing this is to make the port to console better?) and the builds have little customization. Mix this with the fact 3 days after launch the servers are still unstable and you get a game that should have been a 30 dollar arcade buy on Xbox. I have seen better game play from indy companies after a year of development. Expand
  43. May 17, 2012
    Congrats! I bought something I can't play Single Player because their servers are jacked up. Why am I having to connect on-line to play Single Player? This is just hack and slash World of Warcraft...Which frankly with how WoW is today, very much the same. Skip this, stay with Valve and the Steam platform for games. I will continue to try to get my money back from Blizzard, but I doubtCongrats! I bought something I can't play Single Player because their servers are jacked up. Why am I having to connect on-line to play Single Player? This is just hack and slash World of Warcraft...Which frankly with how WoW is today, very much the same. Skip this, stay with Valve and the Steam platform for games. I will continue to try to get my money back from Blizzard, but I doubt I'll even get it. Need a class action lawsuit against publishers for their illegal EULAs. Expand
  44. May 17, 2012
    Simplified version of Diablo 2, everything we loved about the previous game is replaced with lowest common denominator crap. Awful WoW-style art style, and many of the moves are taken straight from previous Blizzard games. Story is very disappointing and the game is completely linear. There's no reason for anyone to play this when there are hundreds of better games you could be playingSimplified version of Diablo 2, everything we loved about the previous game is replaced with lowest common denominator crap. Awful WoW-style art style, and many of the moves are taken straight from previous Blizzard games. Story is very disappointing and the game is completely linear. There's no reason for anyone to play this when there are hundreds of better games you could be playing instead, and dozens of better hack and slash ARPGs. Blizzard employees should be ashamed that it took them this long to produce such a sub-par product. Expand
  45. May 17, 2012
    The game is very casualized compared to it's previous incarnations. Some might appreciate that since so much time was spent figuring out customization instead of just playing the game.

The launch was hilariously terrible but only for US players. It seems Blizzard spent their time and money and focused on the Europe/Asia regions as they were able to play continuously while the US region was taken down for most of launch day and again the day after with fifteen minute server restarts ( sounds like an MMO problem, Diablo is an MMO? ).

Another major issue is the always on connection. You are connected to a server at all times and if you connection to that server lags just a little bit the game will rubber-banned. A single player game rubber-banning is messed up and disconnects will not save anything the last 5-10 minutes so if you start to rubber-ban it's best to stand still and see if the latency bar goes back to green.

When you are eventually able to play it's great to play with friends. While the only thing it changes is the health points of the enemies it does make it more interesting to play when friends are there to save you or die doing something stupid. Alone it can be somewhat mindless but in a good way I guess. It appeals to some of the OCD nature in all of us to clear everything and destroy everything. They picked the perfect time to release the game as the PC gaming market is dull at the moment for major titles especially in this category. There are real money auction houses that can be used to sell or buy items with real money. Blizzard takes a large cut of the sale and there are fee's for transferring back to something like PayPal.

I'll be quite surprised if it lasts more than two weeks for me.
  46. May 17, 2012
    Always online DRM. Not that it affects them at all, but they lost at least one pre-order sale, but of course, everyone in the world has first world internet connections, so it will be fiiine.
  47. May 17, 2012
    Huge disapppointment, past 10 years in development? Then they must have contracted it out to government employees because its nothign more than a watered down cut and paste from Diablo II. They have realized over the years that RMT is going to be THEIR future and still baby their WoW MMO. Not to mention that server stability is utter garbage...
  48. May 17, 2012
    Sorry, but this game is simply a Diablo II clone. Why did we wait 12 years for this game? There's nothing groundbreaking about it. This game is a waste of money.
  49. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. bad system log on the internet, should put the game in offline mode.
    never buy a game from blizzard again.
    I play with the Torchlight II!
    not recommend Diablo II ... ta bad game!
  50. May 17, 2012
    Online Only for single player, Horrible stylized graphics that look like a wow rip off. Nuff said they ruined the game by making a offshoot of wow instead of making a sequel to Diablo 2.
  51. May 17, 2012
    THE server is busy and have errors.
    just finished the normal difficulty , disappointed and shocked , I've been waiting for this for years.
    THE server is busy and have errors.
    and now I have to go over the storyline 4 times!! It is like playing any game and they tell you , you have to beat all the difficulties to enjoy?! I'm not really into playing now, I beated the normal game, tried nightmare, it is THE SAME, just stronger monsters and better weapons.
    If there were PVP , i would continue so I can collect items and beat other players.
    Blizzard, too bad you are losing a lot of customers
  52. May 17, 2012
    worst let down in blizzard history. i am a huge diablo 1 & 2 fan, so naturally I was expecting something amazing or at least comparable to diablo 2. NOPE. Graphics are just terrible, and I have a 3GB NVIDIA video card. Gameplay is sometimes choppy because of online play, and I have a 16GB RAM machine with i7 processor! The skill system sucks! And I cant even just attack with my equippedworst let down in blizzard history. i am a huge diablo 1 & 2 fan, so naturally I was expecting something amazing or at least comparable to diablo 2. NOPE. Graphics are just terrible, and I have a 3GB NVIDIA video card. Gameplay is sometimes choppy because of online play, and I have a 16GB RAM machine with i7 processor! The skill system sucks! And I cant even just attack with my equipped weapon if I wanted to, lol. Do not waste your money! I give this game a 1 rating because of pretty box cover and good cinematics. Expand
  53. May 17, 2012
    This game is so awful. 6 button game are you kidding me. I was bored 3 hours in. This game really really really really really really really really blows.
  54. May 17, 2012
    Take a look at the conflicting "Official Critic" reviews yet they still managed to pull off an attractive score no doubt from some sort of attractive offer from the Blizzard propaganda department. Such is the way with an booming industry, "leading authorities" on games. Most "leading authorities" in all aspects are becoming redundant on the free internet. I played open beta and couldn'tTake a look at the conflicting "Official Critic" reviews yet they still managed to pull off an attractive score no doubt from some sort of attractive offer from the Blizzard propaganda department. Such is the way with an booming industry, "leading authorities" on games. Most "leading authorities" in all aspects are becoming redundant on the free internet. I played open beta and couldn't stand it for more then 20 minutes, say all you want about not giving it a fair shot but i'm not going to force myself to play a piece of crap, a polished turd is still a turd, I waited for this game like everyone else. The writing is on the wall and all the indications are there that Blizzard and parent companies are now just lifeless corporations looking to churn out a quarterly profit by providing incomplete products and throwing you a bone once in a while at a premium price thus requiring you continue paying money for a never ending beta. Kind of like tying a dollar bill to a string and pulling it away from your victim as soon as they get close. Very few companies once successful stick to quality standards and seek for never ending ways to exploit and sucker their customers once pleased with their offerings into bloating their coffers. Enjoy dishing out quarterly payments to these big gaming corporations to complete the forever incomplete product you are essentially buying. EA has been doing it for years, adding a few useless features or features that were already there or very easily could of been utilized in previous year titles. Maybe its just bitterness towards the lack of quality in games these days or playing too many and expecting more, maybe the gaming industry is in need of something revolutionary and innovative. Expand
  55. May 17, 2012
    WTF is this. First I can't log in, now I get disconnected every 10 minutes. In a single player game. That's right. I need to be online to enjoy a single. player. game.
  56. May 17, 2012
    This is a great game. No question. However, Blizzard have effectively and intentionally excluded a good portion of their fans, some of us lifelong fans, from enjoying the game. How have they done this? With the INCREDIBLY RETARDED DRM system that requires a constant log in to play. All save data is stored in a persistent online system, making this effectively an MMO. There is NO Diablo 3This is a great game. No question. However, Blizzard have effectively and intentionally excluded a good portion of their fans, some of us lifelong fans, from enjoying the game. How have they done this? With the INCREDIBLY RETARDED DRM system that requires a constant log in to play. All save data is stored in a persistent online system, making this effectively an MMO. There is NO Diablo 3 single player. And so for those of us who cant afford super fast internet, Diablo 3 is unplayable. UNPLAYABLE! No matter what Blizzard says or those who CAN play cos they have fast internet say. So unless you have a minimum of a 1 MB ADSL connection, don't bother buying this. You won't be able to play it. The server lag will frustrate you into smashing your own PC.

PS: I believe Blizzard have achieved a first in gaming. SERVER LAG IN A SINGLE PLAYER GAME.
  57. May 17, 2012
    I tried the game on a friend's computer. Graphically pleasing and the sound design is also good. However, the always-on requirement, RMAH, and Battle.Net issues (connection issues that are NOT on my end and provable every time) that I always seem to encounter make it a no-brainer for me.

Blizzard has disappointed me yet again and they will not get my money.
  58. May 17, 2012
    I played D2 again and again for years. This game was said to be in development for years? It just didnt feel like it. At first I didnt get why people say its like a World of Diablo thing, but it does feel like it. I mean the skill system sucks like hell, was this redesigned for people who cant think? The game is so easy, I'm sorry but it is. I dont even notice the music, is there really? II played D2 again and again for years. This game was said to be in development for years? It just didnt feel like it. At first I didnt get why people say its like a World of Diablo thing, but it does feel like it. I mean the skill system sucks like hell, was this redesigned for people who cant think? The game is so easy, I'm sorry but it is. I dont even notice the music, is there really? I didnt even knew of its existence til someone mentioned it here.

I don't know if it was deliberately sabotaged by blizzard so people won't play the game too long and they can return to WoW? But they really lived up to the expectations or a lot of people, it's just a big disappointment.

And it was funny that I was playing SOLO, and I couldnt play it. Coz it seems I need to be online - connected to their servers, which cannot hold players. That's just ridiculous.
  59. May 17, 2012
    As people have already reviewed character customization to death, I'll go over something else. They made it online only, so that people can't cheat to get gear. They made sure gear was the only way to get stats, making gear much more useful than anything else. This all leads to making their Real Money Auction House much, much more profitable. How much do you want to bet that they will makeAs people have already reviewed character customization to death, I'll go over something else. They made it online only, so that people can't cheat to get gear. They made sure gear was the only way to get stats, making gear much more useful than anything else. This all leads to making their Real Money Auction House much, much more profitable. How much do you want to bet that they will make the game free once people stop buying the game so they can make even more money off it. They would still charge for any expansions of course. Expand
  60. May 17, 2012
    This game is simply Blizzard cashing in on the popularity of Diablo 1 and 2, which are terrific. This game simply has no redeeming qualities. Terrible choppy graphics, laggy game play, irritating sound track. This game is a disaster and probably the beginning of the end of Blizzard Entertainment.
  61. May 17, 2012
    No single player, connection issues, error messages, servers randomly shutting down at peak times, etc. I have not been able to even sit down and play this game for more than 15 minutes at a time without getting immense lag or a server shutting down message. Give us a single player offline mode so that we can enjoy the game how we want. Very disappointed in Blizzard doing this to one of myNo single player, connection issues, error messages, servers randomly shutting down at peak times, etc. I have not been able to even sit down and play this game for more than 15 minutes at a time without getting immense lag or a server shutting down message. Give us a single player offline mode so that we can enjoy the game how we want. Very disappointed in Blizzard doing this to one of my all time favorite franchises. Expand
  62. May 17, 2012
    Utter, utter garbage. I was in hysterics watching everyone whine about error 37 and was actually enjoying the hour I played before I got bored. Decided to play again, only to realise that this is just wow.

If I wanted to play WoW. I'd play WoW. It really is that simple. Blizzard dumbing the game down to the point that its SO vanilla even a blind idiot could master it really doesn't help

If I wanted to play WoW. I'd play WoW. It really is that simple.

Blizzard dumbing the game down to the point that its SO vanilla even a blind idiot could master it really doesn't help the matter. No stat points, no skill trees, runes arn't even collectable anymore? You get given everything on a set path... How the hell is that the customisation we all love from the diablo series?

Gone are the days of sharing and play testing different builds for the same character... Now at level 60 (ANOTHER garbage WoW move, lets reduce the level cap to 60 so they have to buy the expansion for another lousy 5 levels!), No PVP. Sigh. Quite simply. this is not diablo, Its utter commercial washout wow backlash. Torchlight was more of a diablo 3 than this sorry piece of garbage. D2 was clearly superior in every way, but obviously that was before WoW. When blizzard wern't terrified to try something other than WoW.

Glad I can sell this for more than I paid to get it hah. Enjoy another failed wow clone folks, I'm glad this is the end of the trilogy.
  63. May 17, 2012
    This is the worst flop of the decade. DRM servers and no offline play. Hackers please fix this. And on top of all the BS their support will not even work or help you. They close out support tickets saying your problem is fixed without doing anything. They answer the phone while you have been waiting for 40mins on hold by picking up and hanging up on you. Anyone who preordered shouldThis is the worst flop of the decade. DRM servers and no offline play. Hackers please fix this. And on top of all the BS their support will not even work or help you. They close out support tickets saying your problem is fixed without doing anything. They answer the phone while you have been waiting for 40mins on hold by picking up and hanging up on you. Anyone who preordered should get a refund now!! Expand
  64. May 17, 2012
    Here is what I did, I went to Best Buy's Midnight opening, I purchased the regular edition game, I went home and opened it with a Razor Blade along the inside flap, Took the game out and installed it. photocopied the sleve with the cd key, put everything back in the box with an erased cd key. sealed it and returned it to best buy for a complete refund. Why? because I knew the game wasHere is what I did, I went to Best Buy's Midnight opening, I purchased the regular edition game, I went home and opened it with a Razor Blade along the inside flap, Took the game out and installed it. photocopied the sleve with the cd key, put everything back in the box with an erased cd key. sealed it and returned it to best buy for a complete refund. Why? because I knew the game was going to suck, I played it and then deleted it from my Hard Drive, then I cancelled my WOW account. I payed for a single player game I should not have to have internet access to play it. We should all cancell our wow account to send them a messsage. Goodbye Blizzard, Hello Torchlight 2, Guild Wars 2 and I love you Bathesda, Skyrim Rules!! and the original Dungeon SIege puts this travesty of a Game to Shame Expand
  65. May 17, 2012
    I asked myself, "If this game was called Torchlight 2, what would you think of it?"

When I read that Blizzard was shipping the game without PVP, I was worried. I never seriously PVP'd in Diablo 1 and 2 but I know that's important to some fans. There's something wrong when Blizzard is shipping a game that's not finished. The moment I got into the beta, I was underwhelmed. The graphics were blurry; my character and foes alike lacked detail. I know Blizzard strives to have games run on all machines, but Diablo 3 looks worse than Titan Quest, which is a much older game (with a map editor.)

I thought the constant achievements were stupid, but to each his own.

I can put this to the back of my mind, but now the game is out and I can't even play because Blizzard's servers are down for routine maintenance. When it is up, I disconnect often and generally have 1-3 seconds of lag ( I don't have the best internet.) My girlfriend has been complaining that the game keeps failing to save her progress.

Somehow I forgave them for doing this to Starcraft II, partly because I don't lag on it, but now I've had enough. This new Blizzard doesn't have the magic that the earlier generation possessed, and they can't make up for (I'm assuming/hoping) Activision's horrible decisions. I realize a good deal of my problems are technical, and some may be sorted out later, but I didn't buy the game later. I pre-ordered it. If this was some small indie developer doing a kickstarter, I wouldn't mind. But this is one of the biggest, most funded AAA developers in the industry. This game isn't worth 60 dollars to me.
  66. May 17, 2012
    Blizzard has had TWELVE YEARS to deliver a solid performance and failed. The first indication of failure is the setup/launcher failure to actually install the game! Seriously? You really screwed up the INSTALLER? Activision-Blizzard, if you are not embarrassed by this, you should be. Second, common sense dictates when you release a totally online game you make ABSOLUTELY sure yourBlizzard has had TWELVE YEARS to deliver a solid performance and failed. The first indication of failure is the setup/launcher failure to actually install the game! Seriously? You really screwed up the INSTALLER? Activision-Blizzard, if you are not embarrassed by this, you should be. Second, common sense dictates when you release a totally online game you make ABSOLUTELY sure your servers are ready! What? You only expected 150 people to actually buy the game? FAIL, FAIL, FAIL! Updated graphics and sound do not make this a worthwhile sequel, just pretty. As Tommy Boy said, Expand
  67. May 17, 2012
    Viciously disappointed. The beauty and essence of the originals has been completely lost on these idiots. My god, do they not understand that the simple pleasure in playing the game was in the finding of that one item that would tilt the odds, the reaching of that one skill level that would give you the edge, and that the finding of the right combination of the two was in itself soViciously disappointed. The beauty and essence of the originals has been completely lost on these idiots. My god, do they not understand that the simple pleasure in playing the game was in the finding of that one item that would tilt the odds, the reaching of that one skill level that would give you the edge, and that the finding of the right combination of the two was in itself so satisfying that any shortfalls in other areas of the game were completely overlooked?
    There is no magic here. Just right click. No value in the item you find. No care for the skill level you might achieve. Just hack. and slash. and wonder how Blizzard lost it so badly.
  68. May 17, 2012
    It's pretty terrible that the error 37 destroys chances of logging on. I mean seriously, Blizzard's insanity with DRM and not calling it DRM is a pretty massive stroke against it. The Auction house is so annoying, what with any idea of fees, while the gameplay is short, linear, and not innovating at the least.
  69. May 17, 2012
    Never played Diablo 1 or 2. They were far too ugly by the time I got into PC gaming. However I have played similar titles and I see no difference between this game and others like Torchlight for example (yes I know Diablo came first though). The no offline mode is inexcusable. I don't want to play with others 95% of the time, I shouldn't be required to be online and hooked up throughNever played Diablo 1 or 2. They were far too ugly by the time I got into PC gaming. However I have played similar titles and I see no difference between this game and others like Torchlight for example (yes I know Diablo came first though). The no offline mode is inexcusable. I don't want to play with others 95% of the time, I shouldn't be required to be online and hooked up through battle.net. If they were worried about hacking and duping then making two seperate modes online and offline and the online component needs connection. The graphics are much improved over 1 and 2 but still meh especially when you zoom in. Controls are weird. I'm using to WASD, clicking constantly hurts my pointer finger after a while. This game would be ideal for a control...but alas the option is not there. Don't get me wrong, it's an ok game, but only ok. 4/10 Expand
  70. May 17, 2012
    What is essentially a single player game that forces you to play online. Lame excuses and question dodging on the battle.net D3 forums. Giving it a 1 because of the cow level.
  71. May 17, 2012
    What can you do with a play that constantly boots you although you're playing with a gamning machine and have tried a number of possible solutions? Nothing. The game was obviously rushed out to meet the deadlines and the idiotic idea of this once great company to oblige single players to log on has proved a disaster.
  72. May 17, 2012
    This game is amazingly fun. It's dumbed down from Diablo 2, it's true, but I really enjoyed it regardless. However, I'm only giving it a 2 because of the required consistent internet connection, and the problems that go with that. It's been hellish to try and get on and then stay on (oh, the infamous error 37), and I can't count how many times I died due to LAG. Imagine that - I want toThis game is amazingly fun. It's dumbed down from Diablo 2, it's true, but I really enjoyed it regardless. However, I'm only giving it a 2 because of the required consistent internet connection, and the problems that go with that. It's been hellish to try and get on and then stay on (oh, the infamous error 37), and I can't count how many times I died due to LAG. Imagine that - I want to play a single player game, by myself, and my greatest adversary is LAG, a common ONLINE MULTIPLAYER problem. Blizzard seriously screwed over its consumers by adding this stupid always online requirement, and the main reason seems to be for the real money auction house, a feature few asked for and even fewer want now that they've had to deal with the constant online issues.

If you haven't bought it, do yourself a favor and don't. It is a great game, but given all the problems you have to deal withm it's not worth $60. it's not even worth $10, with all these issues. Vote with your money, tell Blizzard this is NOT acceptable.
  73. May 17, 2012
    They remove too much thing that we liked in d2...Customization 4/10 note more. Every game now seems to be more simple and simple (maybe for casual), I'm not a hardcore gamer, but when I play I want to play, not to be assist...

And my bad note because no offline mode simply, I live far from server I got lag/disco in solo, wow ...!!! Dissapoint I bought this game before the 15th march,

Dissapoint I bought this game before the 15th march, first time for me, usually I wait reviews, and now I regret. Thank you blizzard I payed 59â
  74. May 17, 2012
    The game is very basic, one dimensional and overpriced. The artwork its good but can't believe it took so long to make this game and suffered delays. Go with torchlight, 1/3Rd the price and without the always on connection problems that make the game unplayable without a network connection. Blizzard has become a shadow of its former self and the games are obviously suffering because ofThe game is very basic, one dimensional and overpriced. The artwork its good but can't believe it took so long to make this game and suffered delays. Go with torchlight, 1/3Rd the price and without the always on connection problems that make the game unplayable without a network connection. Blizzard has become a shadow of its former self and the games are obviously suffering because of their dominance. Expand
  75. May 17, 2012
    Completely disappointed, I knew ahead of time about the always online requirement and DRM (decisions I don't agree with) and I also expected issues on day one because of this. My disappointment comes from the game itself. Lets start off with the "art style" or graphics which are blatant copy of WoW's. This art style worked back in 2004, heck I'll even say it was genius for an MMO, itCompletely disappointed, I knew ahead of time about the always online requirement and DRM (decisions I don't agree with) and I also expected issues on day one because of this. My disappointment comes from the game itself. Lets start off with the "art style" or graphics which are blatant copy of WoW's. This art style worked back in 2004, heck I'll even say it was genius for an MMO, it allowed lower end PC's somewhat get through raids that required 40 NPCs at a time. But it just doesn't work for Diablo, it doesn't capture that Diablo feel and for a 2012 game, I expected more. I just don't get that dreaded sense that something is about to go wrong when I enter the depths of some old dungeon. The graphics are colorful and cartoony and they don't belong in the Diablo Universe.

Skills, continuing with their copy and paste system from WoW they did not disappoint, the game feels like playing a top down version of WoW, WHERE IS THE DIABLO GAME I PURCHASED!? This game has always been about loot, and still is but managing your skill/runes/talent tree was part of the fun and added lots of depth to the game. They have completely abandoned this style of play, in other words the game is a dumbed down version of its former glory. By removing this it is only natural that Diablo fans feel that their decision to remove this was mainly based off their Real Money Auction House. Where money is the driving force and Mr. Bobby CEO of Activision can line his pockets full of real money from people purchasing digital items. Way to stick it to us PC gamers Blizzard, it's still Blizzard making these abomination of games and xpacs (Cata/MoP) right? Right?

Blizzard I ask you, where has your TALENT in making games gone?

Gameplay is just as bad, arrows point me the way to EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING, a damn monkey could play this game. They pretty much don't want you to explore anymore, well that is kinda also made obvious by the small maps/zones. Get rid of your director and give us back the guys that made Diablo what it was, yes the Diablo that made Blizzard what it is.

I enjoyed watching your 20 year celebration videos of Blizzard and Co. Happy to see that your love for gaming brought us gamers unbelievable games that we enjoyed for years and years. But with games like this, and your obvious slaps to the face on your gaming community. I just don't see another 20 for Blizzard. I purchased 3 copies of this disaster to enjoy with my family, and I don't see that happening. Should I have waited for a review of this game before purchasing? Sure but this is DIABLO, past records show that you cannot go wrong buying this or any product from Blizzard. I was wrong.
  76. May 17, 2012
    Diablo III is a game people have been waiting for for over a decade. During the final hours up to the launch of the thing we were greeted with a teaser, "The fire still falls." Too bad the fire in the sky seemed to hit the servers too. With the Blizzard's decision to hold on to the online component so dearly, it has inherently caused major issues with stability.||||

After having

After having slaughtered my way to ACT I's first boss, and as he stands up, I get disconnected with my Hardcore Monk being killed in the process due to the delayed logout. These problems and the nature of online requirements for Diablo III practically makes it impossible to participate in the Hardcore side of things. Get disconnected (admittedly a few times were due to my ISP), your Hardcore Character is guaranteed dead. Diablo III is another plain-as-day instance where despite how good the core game is, the always-online component forces players to content with disconnects and even literal lag spikes (not framerate, but lag) even when playing solo. Playing my own private game I was watching my ping jump from 250ms (which is absurd in it's own right) to over 400ms resulting in getting hit from distances.||||
    I love Blizzard, and while Diablo III in itself has simplified mechanics (as in no stat point spending, no skill tree investments or character designs) in a number of areas, it's still a fun game to play when it works. The bottom line is that it doesn't work well enough for a game with $60 attached to it. Torchlight II comes out next month and hopefully will allow me to enjoy a Hardcore mode where MY stupidity is what causes character death, not technical issues.
  77. May 17, 2012
    I can not in good faith give this game a score higher than 0 with the awful DRM. With DRM games gets a 0; without DRM game gets a 3. And the only reason I say three is because the background music to the installer was good, the rest of the game is a watered-down, WoW dungeon crawler. This IS NOT DIABLO. Pass on this one and save $60
  78. May 17, 2012
    Causalized game with too short campaign, server side singleplayer, it's ridiculous. I've never heard before that you have to be in queue for a singleplayer game. This is just a milking of the franchise, go buy Torchlight 2 instead.
  79. May 17, 2012
    how a game doest have offline mode is ridiculus what hapeen if I live in a place wheres the acces to the internet is restricted and I what to have some fun whit diablo 3 but aI cannot play whitout the internet is simply stupid hope no more companies do this atrocius decision in a future
  80. May 17, 2012
    I've played King's Quest I (released in 1984) with my young girls and had a great time doing it. What do you think the odds are people being able to play this game in 30 years due to the always on DRM?
  81. May 17, 2012
    Boring, repetitive, no innovation since the Diablo 2 (if anything, the dumbing down of character customization was a step backwards). The dungeons don't feel scary. Online connectivity required for DRM.... More like forcing you to connect so they can mine data on even your single player games. DRM is the "public" face of always online. Read the EULA, they're not letting you play withoutBoring, repetitive, no innovation since the Diablo 2 (if anything, the dumbing down of character customization was a step backwards). The dungeons don't feel scary. Online connectivity required for DRM.... More like forcing you to connect so they can mine data on even your single player games. DRM is the "public" face of always online. Read the EULA, they're not letting you play without mining your info. 0/10 for privacy issues, bad DRM, and simply selling out. Activision and Blizzard are now one and the same pile of crap. Thanks Bobby Expand
  82. May 17, 2012
    I should have cancelled my Pre-Order. I'm a Deployed service member, this always on requirement means I can't play this game in my free time. (We share 10 internet enable computers between all of us on this site). So I am basically stuck with a $60 box for at least 6 more months. Blizzard refuses to offer any kind of work around. Worse since I'm now deployed I don't have access toI should have cancelled my Pre-Order. I'm a Deployed service member, this always on requirement means I can't play this game in my free time. (We share 10 internet enable computers between all of us on this site). So I am basically stuck with a $60 box for at least 6 more months. Blizzard refuses to offer any kind of work around. Worse since I'm now deployed I don't have access to return the game for a refund either. Way to screw the service members blizzard! You try this with Heart of the Swarm and I'll just stop buying your products, it's not worth it.

My suggestion is wait for Torchlight 2, my friend in the states playing the beta says it's pretty nice, and it doesn't require always on internet.
  83. May 17, 2012
    always online requirement for singleplayer, really? wtf
    they could have made this a seperate mode from their stupid mmo version..
    and thanks to their mmo style and auction house there's no more dupers and hackers, nope, now all you need is money to kill the other guy, yep, no exploring no nothing! just lots of money! so get your mom's card out little hax. i played diablo 2 for a long time,
    always online requirement for singleplayer, really? wtf
    they could have made this a seperate mode from their stupid mmo version..
    i played diablo 2 for a long time, and this d3 thing is a disgrace.. who's the egotistical exec in blizzard that decide to go this mmo-only route?
    everything in cartoon d3 screams failure!
  84. May 17, 2012
    Diablo III is a massive disappointment. Disregard the fact that the player must have internet access in order to play, because that was a well known fact long before the game was released. The reason this game is such a letdown is simply because it has lost sight of its origins. Diablo III is casual, short, and an insult to longtime fans.
  85. May 17, 2012
    I never thought I would do this.. I have been waiting for this since Diablo 2 died out but..

They took away all the customization that I loved about Diablo 2. The UI was confusing and there was no hotkeys for my abilities. This is simple stuff here. I had to go into a menu to change my spells mid battle.. that was ridiculous. There was no main lobby so I could see other players and their gear with channels and custom channels. There was no skill tree's to let me customize my character. I am the same wizard everyone else is. This is unforgivable. I kept myself igorant of this game through development so that I could enjoy the end product spoiler free.. instead all I felt was a sudden clash of disappointment.
  86. May 17, 2012
    3.7 user score and 88 metascore just shows that there is indeed something wrong with this game. The fact that none of the big gaming sites and publications - GameSpot, IGN etc - have posted their reviews after three days is, at least, suspicious (maybe they just couldn't play enough since the servers are always down). The game not coming with PvP is another hint at how the quality of3.7 user score and 88 metascore just shows that there is indeed something wrong with this game. The fact that none of the big gaming sites and publications - GameSpot, IGN etc - have posted their reviews after three days is, at least, suspicious (maybe they just couldn't play enough since the servers are always down). The game not coming with PvP is another hint at how the quality of Blizzard games have started to wane. This game is not only a bad piece of entertainment, but a major sign that the beloved and reliable Blizzard is finally succumbing to greed and corporate antics. Expand
  87. May 17, 2012
    Decent play (as expected for a loot-crawler), but the always-connected/internet feature has to go. Patch, please, Blizzard, and let us play without internet.
  88. May 17, 2012
    This is not a bad game: Diablo III simplified the skill and attribute systems according to today's trends of removing complexity from games. Casualization. Character variability unfortunately took a hit: every character is strictly identical to all other characters of its class on each level. This facilitates Activision-Blizzard's job of balancing the classes, as multiplayer is now anThis is not a bad game: Diablo III simplified the skill and attribute systems according to today's trends of removing complexity from games. Casualization. Character variability unfortunately took a hit: every character is strictly identical to all other characters of its class on each level. This facilitates Activision-Blizzard's job of balancing the classes, as multiplayer is now an important component of the game, and competitivity must be ensured. Alas, character personalization still exists: items now play an even more central role in character uniqueness when similar games are taken into account. These items, of course, also orbit Diablo's nucleous, the Auction House: a step up from WoW's own that takes an inexpugnable role in Diablo III's monetization scheme. This is also the sole true justification for a DRM that impedes gamers from playing a single player game offline: everyone knows how this goes. The game have its charms: the graphics, even though sub-par when compared to today's standards, and with a very "distinct" style when compared to the old iterations of the series, are nice and help the game manifest in almost anything that has a silicon chip: this, as any company would attest, gathers more players and payers. Connection errors are surely just a launch hiccup and will surely be mitigated, as not even the company with 11 million users and one of the biggest beta stress tests could have foreseen. Or could. In spite of all that, the game is still thrilling: beating Diablo after a quick 3h stroll is indeed worth the investment. Specially if you like casual games. And wasting money. The other can still hope: a 60 level cap mean expansions, but even before that patches may straight out all this moneywhoreness. Or not. Expand
  89. May 17, 2012
    Funny thing is most of you either pre-ordered or purchased the game on launch even though we all knew about the negative points of the game most of you are voting it down for. Next time use your better judgement and save your money for a game that is worth spending it on and not just for its title.
  90. May 17, 2012
    When it works, it is great. Having to log onto a server to play a single player game, and then get kicked every 10 minutes, is beyond asinine. If this game ever gets the bugs worked out, so you can play... I'd give it an 8 or so. Because I will be forever beholden to Blizzard to keep the servers running, It should probably actually get more of a 7. The game runs pretty smoothly. SomeWhen it works, it is great. Having to log onto a server to play a single player game, and then get kicked every 10 minutes, is beyond asinine. If this game ever gets the bugs worked out, so you can play... I'd give it an 8 or so. Because I will be forever beholden to Blizzard to keep the servers running, It should probably actually get more of a 7. The game runs pretty smoothly. Some of the quests are run and do this, or that, and then run back. While a lot of the running (back) is fixed with stones to teleport back to town with, it still is a bit monotonous. The stash is pretty ingenious, though, I REALLY wish you had about 2 to 3 times the space to start with. It'll make creating mules easy. Right now, it is hard to really recommend this game, since you generally spend as much time looking at loading screens, as you do playing the game. That is a major problem. Something that really has to be fixed, and fast. I spent $60 for this game, while PC games go for $50. I paid a very high premium price for a product that, at best, I can use about 1/3 of the time I want to. Expand
  91. May 17, 2012
    Very poor. Cannot log into the game after having for about 24 hours, far too simplified combat, not nearly as memorable for monsters or characters as Diablo 2, and nearly no customization.
  92. May 17, 2012
    this game sucks.

the DRM sucks.

the graphics suck.

the visuals suck.

the gameplay is average.

the sound is average.

over all this game sucks.

(and yes there is a difference between graphics and visuals)
  93. May 17, 2012
    Fairly boring, button masher with a significantly dumbed down character system. Making level isn't the exciting event it used to be where you really had to think about your choices. Now you ding and it's like, "Oh, well the system automatically just gave me new stuff." Yawn.

Worst of all is the horrible DRM that makes the game a useless pile of bits if you try without an Internet connection.
  94. May 17, 2012
    Diablo III... or Diablo II with better graphics and a poor story... Blizzard only has three "lines". And they can't expect to live forever with only three sagas.
  95. May 17, 2012
    If you are a experienced gamer that loves RPGs, Stay away from this one. Blizzard use to be known for making games that were easy to learn but hard to master, sadly they gave up on the later. Character customization is pretty much out. Gone our questions like "Which type of Barbarian do I want to be"? Blizzard will tell you what you want - and how you want it. The menu of CharactersIf you are a experienced gamer that loves RPGs, Stay away from this one. Blizzard use to be known for making games that were easy to learn but hard to master, sadly they gave up on the later. Character customization is pretty much out. Gone our questions like "Which type of Barbarian do I want to be"? Blizzard will tell you what you want - and how you want it. The menu of Characters themselves are a bit odd. Taking a page of the trolls of WoW, Diablo added a Caribbean Voodoo master to a western Gothic tale. It's does not sit well. The Graphics while being easy on the eye, are nothing to write home about. Had someone told me this was a game from 5 years ago, I would believe them. The writing is taken straight out of a Saturday morning cartoons. "Now all shall suffer", "This is true evil" and other under thought cliches will be waiting for you. This is a causal game under the guise of a AAA tittle for gamers. As a causal game, it is quite good. But those don't cost 60Euros. And yes, while you are playing nothing feels better than being told that your connection to the server has been lost. Expand
  96. May 17, 2012
    hmmm 88/100 critic and 3.7 user, this is obviously because of the servers. BUT, Diablo 3 is actually a sub-par game. It didn't go through as what it was meant to be, if it takes a game company 11 years to develop they obviously had no passion for making the game, and it shows
  97. May 17, 2012
    Constant issues with being able to even play the game because of the "must have internet connection" in order to play. Well, most of the people I know who have this game have internet connections and STILL can't play. Either the servers are down constantly or a supposedly multiplayer game will, apparently randomly, allow some people to join a multiplayer game while others cannot evenConstant issues with being able to even play the game because of the "must have internet connection" in order to play. Well, most of the people I know who have this game have internet connections and STILL can't play. Either the servers are down constantly or a supposedly multiplayer game will, apparently randomly, allow some people to join a multiplayer game while others cannot even when all the people attempting to play are on the SAME NETWORK. Character customization is practically non-existent, what options are available feel more like a console-based RPG than one that supposedly was designed for the PC. etc... This game is like Dungeon Siege III, another complete failure to create a sequel to a great game. Personal recommendation? Buy and play Dungeon Siege II or Diablo II. They are still great games with great storylines. This is a waste of your money. Expand
  98. May 17, 2012
    I found myself incredibly bored after only playing for about an hour. The game feels like a poorly done hybrid of Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft, with simplified aspects of WoW incorporated badly. The graphics are AWFUL. This may have been their choice to make you feel as though you are playing Diablo 2 again, but if so, it was a poor choice. It was over $70 with tax, for one hour ofI found myself incredibly bored after only playing for about an hour. The game feels like a poorly done hybrid of Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft, with simplified aspects of WoW incorporated badly. The graphics are AWFUL. This may have been their choice to make you feel as though you are playing Diablo 2 again, but if so, it was a poor choice. It was over $70 with tax, for one hour of entertainment.

The funny thing about this whole situation for me is I just bought a beastly new computer and video card. Too bad this half-cooked craptastic game has no need for a decent video card! Thanks Blizzard! That's the 3rd bad game in a row that I have purchased from you all. I think I will wait for Guild Wars 2, and stop playing games stamped with the Blizzard brand.
  99. May 17, 2012
    Seems more like Diablo 2.5 then a new game. Graphics aren't all that great (they seem very muted to me - no contrast) and the game play is mostly the same as Diablo 2. Not sure why this took 10 years to come out.
  100. May 17, 2012
    I loved Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. Diablo 3 seems fun, when I can actually log in and play -- and there lies the problem. If I can't log in, I can't play. Getting home at the end of a long day at work, logging in, and then getting bounced 3 minutes later due to an emergency patch doesn't make for an enjoyable playing experience.

My expectation is that Blizzard got my money, I get to play

My expectation is that Blizzard got my money, I get to play the game. If I can't play the game, then I want my money back.

1. Aug 31, 2012