Diablo III PC

4.0

1. May 15, 2012
    This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. ButThis is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. But this game is a complete failure because of server side DRM being recquired. After so many years when blizzards servers shutdown my children will not enjoy this game because of DRM. Shame on you Blizzard and anyone who supports DRM games with their $$$. Duke Nukem may have been a bad game but at least the steam lets me play single player offline. Also wheres our LAN! Expand
  2. May 15, 2012
    I felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as aI felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as a Wizard--his spells get really good toward the end. Expand
  3. May 15, 2012
    Too simplified game principles, wow graphics, too many concessions. Poor atmosphere as well. This game is not so good as Diablo 2. I don´t like new health/mana system as well. Character development is very simplified.
  4. Jul 23, 2012
    I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game,I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game, and it's fun. The biggest problem it's got going for it is the 12 years between Diablo II and III. In that time, we've seen copycats "do" Diablo over and over and over and over, with varying levels of success. What made Diablo I so amazing was that it was really a new, frenetic style of playing an RPG game. Kind of a "ramped up" Roguelike game that was instantly addictive. Ridiculously addictive. Diablo II carried the torch a few years later and raised the bar significantly. All the fun of the first, plus tons of new innovations. Diablo III doesn't add or subtract much from Diablo II, and that's pretty disappointing given the 12 years in-between. If anything, Diablo III has indeed carried on the HORRIBLE pit of hell gamer-makers have fallen into of "dumbing down" their games and making it accessible to the least-common denominator. They don't understand, I guess, that hardcore gamers are the fan base, and that what the hardcores say translates well into the general public. In other words, a series like the Elder Scrolls caught on and became hugely popular almost strictly because hardcore gamers went on and on about how great it was. Instead of appealing to the hardcores and making games more intricate and more complex, with more features, and more moving parts, they seem to strip away and streamline and make console-friendly, and yada yada yada. Diablo III is a prey to this mentality as well, and the aggravation is reflected with such low (too low, absolutely too low) scores.

In the end, what Diablo III is is a continuation of a legendary series of games. Unlike the first two, III doesn't really raise any bars or add any innovations that we will now see replicated in dozens of copycats, and that's too bad. Instead of opting for trend-setting, Diablo III plays it relatively safe and stands as a solid, fun, addictive, nice-looking, stable game, a decent addition to the series, but nothing terribly mindblowing. I tired of it after about 2 weeks, and I can absolutely not say that about the first two Diablos. The difference? Having stripped all of the customization out of the game (attributes, skills, etc.), I never really felt all that connected to my characters, which have a definite "pre-made" feel to them. The hallmark of any role playing game is the role playing part of it. This is action and it's clearly designed more for the unwashed masses than the hardcore gamers.

1. Aug 31, 2012