Diablo III PC

4.0

1. Mar 27, 2016
    Disappointing is the word. 10 years waiting after the release of Diablo II and we get a game with terrible story-line, terrible characters, terrible classes and talent/skill system, it's boring to level up and the Acts are no interesting at all, no pvp at all even 4 years after release... Honestly, even if this game is 10 years newer, Diablo II is 10 times better.

With that said, this

With that said, this isn't a completely terrible game. It's a Blizzard game and thus there's a lot of work into it and you can feel that in the cutscenes, the music, the ambientation, and keeps the essence of hack and slash and slaying monsters in huge groups and the controls are quite nice, it would be an ok game if it wasn't named Diablo, but it is just so disappointing to the saga involving in this way after how good Diablo I and Diablo II were.
  2. Feb 29, 2016
    I could give this game a 10 because I've been playing it so much lately and Blizzard somehow managed to make the endless grinding of this game less painful than ever before. But ... 5 minutes ago I was playing a Great Rift and I just had my session disconnected in it's last seconds, meaning that for the 20th time I've lost my progression, my exp bonus pool streak, and a Great RiftI could give this game a 10 because I've been playing it so much lately and Blizzard somehow managed to make the endless grinding of this game less painful than ever before. But ... 5 minutes ago I was playing a Great Rift and I just had my session disconnected in it's last seconds, meaning that for the 20th time I've lost my progression, my exp bonus pool streak, and a Great Rift keystone. That makes me want to give it a 0 score.

This introduction pretty much sums up my experience with this game and how it can be extremely frustrating at times, but can be enjoyable as well.

Pros:
    - Super modern gameplay. Some may argue but I think Blizzard makes the most smart combat systems on the market. And Diablo is probably the best of them. The gameplay is fast, and brutal. There's many builds to choose from in many classes and they finally are getting them to decent balance. This is definitely the strongest point of this game.

- Also, after many patches and updates, Blizzard finally found a enjoyable endgame mechanic. You play bounties to farm gear and craft materials. You play Rifts for Greater Rift keys also gear farm. And you play Greater Rift's to test your character progression and compare them to other players through Leaderboards and also to Level Up the almost infinite Paragon Levels. It's a funny cycle that can be tiresome after so many hours, but I've been playing this game a lot in this 5th Season. It's a sign that it is getting better and better. Somehow the gears feels easier to farm, I got the sets for my character build much faster then ever before so I could try all of them and choose what to use. In previous seasons It took me a lot more time and I got tired even before I could complete a decent set.

Cons
    - The story is horrible and terribly cheesy. The only character worth mentioning is the Scoundrel;
    - The art style is nice but I think it's too colorful for a game about demons. I wish the atmosphere were darker.

- I know it adds to the gameplay lifecycle, but I wish the game wouldn't depend on RNG so much. It's OK to have space to different item and affixes rolls but I'm sure they could've coded a smarter way to make it less frustrating. Today, to find an usable item you have to hope for a legendary, then hope for it to be the kind you need (set), then hope for 5 out of 6 affixes to be what you need, then hope to all affixes to roll good numbers, and then hope for the item to be Ancient, because regular items are useless (especially now that you can only enhance Ancient items with Caldean Cube). That's a lot of hope for a single item. Now multiply that for 13 pieces of equipment. Now you know why the endgame of this game is infinite. You'll can play this game for the rest of your life and you probably won't ever see a perfect item.

- Sometimes the rotation of random maps in rifts are pretty annoying. I know this should be RNG doing, but have this feeling that the game favors stupid Act 5 maps. I almost never see other maps that I like. It could be my imagination, but I've been playing a lot and I rarely see those Act 1 or 2 big open areas.

- The endgame EXP grinding was designed to be performed in groups, but playing in group can be a pain for people too far away from each other, because internet connection. That forces you to play with a limited number of people. Not to mention I like to play by myself. But that's out of the question if I want to be on the Leaderboards. This is bad design. They should separate the Paragon you acquire in group from the solo Leaderboard Great Rifts. I'm not sure how, I'm not a game designer, but the clear focus on group play is broken.

- Which brings me to the worst of all mistakes in Diablo 3: the online aspect. As I mentioned by the start of this review, I get disconnected a lot in this game for no reason, and I often loose precious progression. This is frustrating beyond words. I would never touch a Hardcore character in a game this broken and that makes me forsake a lot of content too (many achievements are Hardcore only and sometimes they unlock goods).
  3. Feb 18, 2016
    I never was a big fan of Diablo or Blizzard in general, but with all the hype surrounding this game I finally decided to give it a try... and I will probably never return to this series again. It was a linear grind fest. The only good thing is the combat, because that's what you're gonna do all the time - clicking your enemies to death, so the developers had to make sure there's enoughI never was a big fan of Diablo or Blizzard in general, but with all the hype surrounding this game I finally decided to give it a try... and I will probably never return to this series again. It was a linear grind fest. The only good thing is the combat, because that's what you're gonna do all the time - clicking your enemies to death, so the developers had to make sure there's enough customizable abilities to not bore you to death after the first hour. The DRM and unnecessary always-online restriction made it feel like it's a wannabe MMO, I'd rather play Path of Exile if I want that. Exploring the maps felt like a chore, the looting is not rewarding most of the time, 75% of interactive objects are empty, there's no pay off for checking every corner. To me Sacred 2 (which came out 4 years before D3) is far better than this. Some fanboys will argue that it's not the same genre, cause S2 has an open world and D3 is a "dungeon crawler" even though everything else works in almost the same way - from camera angle, tons of loot, hordes of enemies, to combat and skills. I won't be playing future Diablo games for sure if they're gonna stick to this formula of randomly generated areas, **** all your progress on the map if you quit the game" and "always be logged in online to play a singleplayer". What year is this? Expand
  4. Feb 10, 2016
    its not as bad as people state it is. but its also not a good game. its the easiest 5/10 to give to a game.
    it has improved a lot lately. but still a 5/10 nothing more , nothing less.
  5. Nov 12, 2015
    The only way to understand what's wrong with Diablo 3 is to play Diablo 1 and 2.

For its time Diablo 1 was a revolutionary game that came to define the hack-n-slash-RPG. What many seem to forget however is that what held the game up was its story and character progression. You arrived in Tristram as a lowly adventurer, and not like in Diablo 3 as a cocky seen-it-all. There really is

You arrived in Tristram as a lowly adventurer, and not like in Diablo 3 as a cocky seen-it-all. There really is something to be said for starting out at the bottom and working your way up.

In Diablo 1 our adventurous explorer always felt in over his head as he delved deeper into the hidden catacombs below the church. He never mocked the evil he was up against, he realized he was a simple human taking on the forces of hell. Which isn't something to be sneezed at.

In Diablo 3 you always feel "all powerful" and it just takes the joy out of the game for me. For me Diablo 3's story falls flat on this single reason alone, if our hero does not fear Hell why should I?

Then there's the fact that the story is mass market trash designed to hit you over the head with a sledgehammer. Main story characters will die, others will betray you. It's like a bad soap opera and designed to force you as a player to feel something. Sometimes it works but most of the time it's just over the top ridiculous and insulting.

Diablo 2 was a vastly different game than Diablo 2, a real hack-n-slash instead of a hack-n-slash-RPG. But even so I think I actually preferred the story in Diablo 2, it had a quieter and less forceful way of progressing the story.

I will admit that I enjoyed Diablo 3 in Act 1, 2 & 3 - but then it fell apart completely for me in Act 4. What was done with the story and gameplay there was simply to forceful for my liking.

I like to take my time, explore, enjoy the story, read the lore and soak up the surroundings. But those elements of the game just went completely out the window towards the end of Diablo 3.

I will also blame the game for this:

1. Act 4 doesn't feel like Act 4, feels more like a big end game level.

2. I think the replay value is servery hurt by the story being so heavy-handed in Act 4. I can't see myself having fun replaying that.

3. Main story characters are killed and there is no explanation of what happened to them. I smell cash-cow-milking and expansion. Come on - a game is suppose to stand on it's own merit. If it's great we'll buy the expansion, but now I'm not so sure.

4. This may be a personal thing but I still prefer it the way Diablo 1 was. That is - once a level has spawned it stays that way and doesn't change. I prefer my explored maps to remain explored and I prefer my slain enemies to remain dead. Until you go to the next difficulty of course. Then it may change.
  6. Oct 23, 2015
    Matar, matar, matar, matar... Y matar? No tiene mucho más, las recompensas vienen solas y la campaña no tiene prácticamente sentido a no ser que te hayas pasado el juego de hace muchos años ya... Y la única rejugabilidad que tiene, es pasártelo con más nivel, y si no tienes internet amigo mío... Me da que no juegas!
  7. Sep 1, 2015
    I never saw a Linear Story Line as Much as Diablo III, This Sequel is made to sell only, Blizzard Forgot that they should design an Enjoying Game, Making a Single Player game requires Internet 100% of time is a huge rip off,
  8. Jul 23, 2015
    1 step forward, 2 steps back. That's all I can say about this game. I'm a huge Diablo fan, but even after over a year of fixing, this game isn't as good as D2. The whole time I'm playing it, I feel like I'm playing a tablet game that's trying to sell me gold, or berries, or whatever. Heroes of the Storm has more tactical depth. They DID do a few things right. The mini-boss battles1 step forward, 2 steps back. That's all I can say about this game. I'm a huge Diablo fan, but even after over a year of fixing, this game isn't as good as D2. The whole time I'm playing it, I feel like I'm playing a tablet game that's trying to sell me gold, or berries, or whatever. Heroes of the Storm has more tactical depth. They DID do a few things right. The mini-boss battles are more varied and interesting. The monster abilities are cooler. The monster AI is better. The controls are tighter. It's clear that they were trying. It seems like they were on their way to a good game when management stopped them halfway through and asked them to turn it into Candy Crush.

I had all sorts of trepidation when I heard about the real-money auction house. I knew what they would have to turn the game into in order for the AH to be a big money maker. It turns out those fears were true. I hope now that Blizzard is no longer under Vivendi they can go back to making good games rather than running an elaborate online slot machine.
  9. Jul 7, 2015
    A lot of the mistakes with this game have been fixed. Some are still outstanding however. The foremost of these is the draconic use of DRM. Not being able to play even single player durning server maintenance is beyond stupid.
  10. Apr 26, 2015
    "diablo 2 converted to casual audience with enhanced warcraft 3 graphics".

* no option to set strength/vitality/dexterinty/inteligence - AUTOMATIC * no option to set skills - AUTOMATIC * half of items in equipment is "legendary" just after 1st act * no more random levels. you have arrow showing you where to go * super easy. I play D3 first and 3rd difficulty level its so easy. i
    "diablo 2 converted to casual audience with enhanced warcraft 3 graphics".

* no option to set strength/vitality/dexterinty/inteligence - AUTOMATIC
    * no option to set skills - AUTOMATIC
    * half of items in equipment is "legendary" just after 1st act
    * no more random levels. you have arrow showing you where to go
    * super easy. I play D3 first and 3rd difficulty level its so easy. i kill all bosses, enemys, everything with two spells

so basically you dont create character AT ALL, you can only find items, that's it

In D2 everyone had to read various character builds, guides, save skills up to level 30 and many more.

And in D3 everything is dumbed down completely. D2 also had great replayability value as HUGE levels was randomly generated. Now levels are same and ultra samll.

surely Diablo 3 still nice game but its not really Diablo anymore.

+ not bad graphics + sound, translation, story - dumbed down for casual to obvilion
  11. Mar 18, 2015
    It's not as terrible as its reputation for fan-boy rage might suggest, but it's not up to par either. It's merely mediocre. If that's good enough for you, then go hog wild. If not, there are way better games out there to waste your money on.
  12. Jan 11, 2015
    Wizards and monks can use same weapons and armor as Barb but barb can't use ranged weapons, wands or staffs. In both my groups the barb has become pointless due to overpowering wizard using spear and shield and monk using some sort of polearm coupled with his skills. My barb can't keep up even using a two handed weapon. Doesn't make any sense that the barb is limited while the others areWizards and monks can use same weapons and armor as Barb but barb can't use ranged weapons, wands or staffs. In both my groups the barb has become pointless due to overpowering wizard using spear and shield and monk using some sort of polearm coupled with his skills. My barb can't keep up even using a two handed weapon. Doesn't make any sense that the barb is limited while the others are not in their weapon and armor choices. Who ever heard of a wizard using a shield? I'm sure this is a good game overall but I can't see past the unfairness to the barbarian. If I wasn't committed to two groups right now I probably would stop playing. Couple this with the fact I can't play without an internet connection and this feels like a waste of money. Expand
  13. Dec 16, 2014
    Unfortunately bears little resemblence to Diablo 1 & 2 in concept and execution beneath the glossy surface. What Diablo 3 has going for it, is the fluid and enjoyable combat dynamics, but what's against it is tremendous.

It launched with an Auction House that made it a glorified trading simulator with an Action RPG backend. The Auction House was removed at a point when many had already lost interest in the game, and we were left with a linear, repetitive storyline and a game that needed massive and regular rebalancing, leading me to wonder what Blizzard did all those (10!) years this game was in development?

Beyond the game balance issues, the item issues (a cornerstone to this kind of game), it had a very simple character attribute system put in the game's control, so you had few ways to influence the way your character developed beyond the gear. This made the game become extremely gear focused and dependant -- even a fireball skill would depend on how much damage an equipped axe would do! Completely defying logic.

Most concering of all, was that the original games suffered from none of these issues, and they were likely the result of a game development team having more experience from MMO games and World of Warcraft, than hardcore Diablo gaming.

In short, it looks like a Diablo, but it doesn't play much like one.

The lead game director was later pulled from this project, and a glimmer of hope was lit in its expansion: Reaper of Souls. Unfortunately, few of the redeeming qualities in that expansion (Adventure Mode, the Rift system) trickled down to this poor humpbacked game.
  14. Dec 12, 2014
    If you're a fan of the old games, this will let you down in virtually every way. It's not the classic RPG you know, it's a hack 'n slash. The replayability could be better and the content could definitely be broader considering the amount of time they had to make it. To the credit of all the people crushing this game with negative votes, they have a point if you're a fan of D1 & D2.If you're a fan of the old games, this will let you down in virtually every way. It's not the classic RPG you know, it's a hack 'n slash. The replayability could be better and the content could definitely be broader considering the amount of time they had to make it. To the credit of all the people crushing this game with negative votes, they have a point if you're a fan of D1 & D2.

That being said, this game by itself, without thinking about its forefathers and the style of play they brought to the table, it's not a bad game to play with a bunch of friends that you want to just beat mobs up with and raid dungeons for the #loots. People tend to get on a bandwagon for only one line of thought when it comes to these types of games. The older generation of gamers that played Diablo in the 90s are definitely entitled to ask Blizzard why they would deviate from the recipe of what makes Diablo what it is, but Diablo 3 takes a different turn that players can still enjoy.

I say all this because I don't want people to jump on Metacritic and immediately throw away the thought of getting the game altogether. If I'm to be perfectly honest, I wasn't around to appreciate D1. I was there for a little bit of D2, but when D3 came out, only my older cousins who were diehard Diablo fans had sh*t to talk. I enjoyed and still enjoy to play with my friends in cooperative kickassery of the demon population in whatever randomized dungeon we may encounter on whatever difficulty we may play in however many ways we get royally f*cked and make no mistake, this game can kick your @$$ if you don't know what you're doing. But regardless of what you may see on here, there is still potential for fun to be had regardless of the lack of respect for past games.

All I'm asking you, reader, is to try the game out for free yourself and see what you think. Don't let your mind be clouded by the reviews made by the previous generation. You can still play Diablo for 3 up until level 15 for free with the Starter Edition if I'm correct and you can experience a bit of the game yourself. If you don't like it, no one would blame you. But I urge you not to jump on the bandwagon of reviews that are based on OTHER games and not this one without having had the chance to try it yourself.

Personal Rating: 7/10

Pros:
    Lots of fun with friends (if you don't have a Debbie Downer who's nostalgic about D1 & D2)
    Dungeons are pretty well randomized
    #madlootz
    Story is a little predictable but still enjoyable (It's about the eternal conflict of Angels and Demons, 90s gamers, I don't know why you want your mind blown. It's an epic not Inception.)
    Higher difficulty levels bring loads of challenge to less skilled players

Cons:
    If you're nostalgic, chances are you won't like it
    Character customization can be a little linear and it can be easy to pick out the best abilities
    Not really an RPG it's a Hack 'n Slash
    Online play is required
    You could be spending your time playing other games
  15. Dec 10, 2014
    A shadow of its predecessors. It's not terrible and the recent expansion/patch does a lot to rectify what was originally wrong with it, but it's still not what I was hoping for as a fan of 1 and 2.

Try out the brilliant Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile instead - both of which are superior to this letdown.

Jimbo Rating: 6/10
  16. Nov 27, 2014
    The bosses are alright, the itemization is awful, the story is pitiful, the combat is click-click-clicky, and there is no necromancer.

Played for a good while with friends, but it just doesn't have the staying power of Diablo 2. The thing that I probably hate the most is the rage timers. I fondly remember being decimated by some insane, immune to everything, group of hellbeasts on my way to Diablo in hell difficulty and spending the next hour and a half with friends trying to teleport in and out of the Act in a desperate attempt to recover bodies, find gold to repair equipment, and resurrect mercenaries. Yes, it took forever, and it seemed completely broken, but the ability to strive on and not have your way you play dictated to you by the game with silly things like arbitrary timers was one of the fun things about Diablo 2.

17. Oct 17, 2014
    Its hard to give fair score to this game, but ill do my best. First of all, I bought it to have some fun and earn some cash. At start the game wasnt as good as i thought, but the ah aspect was quite ok, and i got my money back (for the game and the laptop i bought to play it so + for that aspect).
    Graphics - quite nice, run on a fine engine, it took some time for me to accept a bit less climatic enviroments and a bit uninspired settings but overall strong 7/10.
    Audio - sounds/voice acting are top notch (10/10) but music is waaay worse than the first diablo (id give it 1/10 - cant remember even one theme). So id be 6/10.
    And finally lets get to gameplay - its way more dynamic, than previous settlements but its also dumbed down. No matter how hard blizzard tries to change ballance, You alway search for items witch 1-2 specific bonuses (like attack speed, critical hit chance/damage). ITS JUST BORING. In previous DIABLO You had way more options to build Your characters, now You must do it this one specific way or Your avatar will just suck compared to the ones using "best build". Its just plain bad concept. The problem is, this was made to cash in from auction house which was fine option but now it is removed so we got really broken product.
    To sum things up: gameplay is quite addicting but overall You fell like playing unfinished product and for that it misses perfect score by a mile.
    VERDICT: Good game, but it seems after years of draining cash from WOW fans Blizzard lost its touch. 7/10
  18. Oct 11, 2014
    This game was ... Good. But (and lets all be honest with ourselves) it could never live up to the Hype. Unfortunately it didn't even live up to other games in the Genre. Torchlight 2 at launch had game play elements and abilities that were only recently added in patches 2.5 years after launch. Diablo 3 only trumps Torchlight 2 on graphics and cut scene/story quality...

If you are a die

If you are a die hard dungeon crawler fan, this game isn't bad... now (2.5 years later)... but if you are looking to get into dungeon crawlers go for Torchlight 2. Cheaper and better.
  19. Aug 5, 2014
    As a huge fan of first 2 Diablo games I bought this the moment it was released and I was basically disappointed on every level. While I finished the game and I enjoyed the ride a bit, it took me 2 days and I never had a feeling I should go through it again, or even try out different classes. I finished first 2 Diablo games like 50 times replayed them to death simply because it was soAs a huge fan of first 2 Diablo games I bought this the moment it was released and I was basically disappointed on every level. While I finished the game and I enjoyed the ride a bit, it took me 2 days and I never had a feeling I should go through it again, or even try out different classes. I finished first 2 Diablo games like 50 times replayed them to death simply because it was so amazing, addictive, fun and just extremely replayable, but Diablo 3 lacks all that magic. I never had an urge to go back and through that again. Maybe it's the kiddie colorful visuals, gone is the darkness of the first Diablo, it kills all the atmosphere and where is that cult music? Diablo had one of the best soundtracks ever created for a videogame and Diablo 2 was also fantastic. I don't remember absolutely anything about the music in Diablo 3, so bland, average and completely forgettable. It seems mostly new team consisting of very different people compared to previous games were responsible for creation of this and it definitely shows. This is leagues worse than previous games from the series. Also, if you add that always-online DRM bs that Blizzard pulled off, you get the urge to go to red numbers with the final score, but I'm trying to stay objective, the game wasn't really all that bad, but it just wasn't even nearly as good as previous Diablo games, not even close. 5/10 Expand
  20. Jul 31, 2014
    After the newest patch and the closure of the auction-house, Diablo 3 is finally playable! (at least when they don't screw with their servers and you are not allowed to play the game you payed for).

The Drop-Rate is ... now more fluid. I don't know if its really better, there are too much golden Items in my opinions and I had a run where I found 3 legendaries in a simple run. Rewarding? Yes, of course but it lessens the worth of it.

The game itself deserves a good 8.0 or at least a 8.5. Its addicting like you would expect and the interactions between the characters (the dialogues) are often nice to hear. THe rest ius common and masterful created addiction for slay and loot.
    The "new" implemented "Paragon-Level" allows you to set your skill-points freely and the rune-Skill-system is still a very nice Idea for switching and testing a mindblowingly number of Skill-Sets!

The music is... unfortunately very forgettable and boring. It sounds like the Soundtrack to a Michael-Bay-Film without the extreme fine nuances and atmosphere-pumping originality of the Diablo 2-Tracks.
    It is even more a regrettable decision by blizzard to implement this trumped-flat-bore-Music-track (that you will hear in every other "big bugdet"-title nowadays), because ALL people I know turned the music down after max 2 weeks. It's a shame that there is no way to implement the great Soundtracks of Diablo 2 or Warcraft (yes, these fit surprisingly well!).

Like I said: The game itself deserves a nice amount of applause. The rest of it - especially the poor support! deserve a hateful middlefinger!
    Direct Support for Connection-Errors, Suggestions or Mod-Support (I know... what where I thinking?) or other simple questions are IMPOSSIBLE to get!
    the "Support"-Site is a Joke, you are always redirected to the forums where other people already opened similar questions and waiting for help until no help arrives and their Topic gets closed! Critical topics are getting deleted of course. In one word: Censorship.

It's sometimes hilarious to watch how the community gets shat in the face and foced to eat the dump, but rages against the people who don't want to get treated like cattle. So, the community and the company are nearly the worst I have met in my entire lifetime (nearly horrid as the CoD-Kiddies).

I am very glad the game was a gift and it didn't cost that much.

Oh wait... did I mention the overprized DLC?! A DLC that is MORE EXPENSIVE than the main-game?!
    Unbelievable!

And the award to the most hostile and greedy Company goes to... EA.. .. I meant: Blizzard!
    **** YOU **** No more money from me!
  21. Jul 14, 2014
    I played this game after the release. The gameplay on the very first run was really addictive. But playing the same runs over and over every time on a more difficult level gets really boring. Another negative point was the in game market. You could buy stuff with real money. So trying to get great gear ingame wasnt rewarding at all. Spending a few bucks was way easier.
  22. Jul 9, 2014
    Good game, but the problem is that it's called "Diablo". Like ARPG is a good game. Internet required and action house is the worst of thus game. The expansion Reaper of Souls saves Diablo III to go hell.
  23. Jun 5, 2014
    Updating my review past all of the changes.
    Finally they did what players wanted. They made the game about loot. It still gets tedious very quickly solo player, but the new Adventure mode is great to play with friends
  24. May 27, 2014
    Review as of May 2014 by a non-fanboy who never played Diablo nor Diablo 2. I think maybe the closest game I've played to this was Dungeon Siege I & II back in the day.

In Diablo 3 you only have 1 AI follower at a time, except if you play with friends, but even then, the gameplay boils down to INFINITE grinding and looting. The different classes have some depth, but you'll eventually find your favourite 4 active skills and 3 passive skills and there's little incentive to change your play style, especially on higher difficulties where you need to be fast and precise and not be burdened by experimenting around. Nevertheless, the combat is ok, the 4 active skills you can choose at a time (from a wider offer which you keep unlocking as you level up) provide some strategy opportunity, but really it comes down to either you can kill the monsters or you need to escape and lower the game difficulty. The different locations are really not particularly interesting, and the progress through them is very linear. The story and its presentation is SHOCKINGLY poor! It's basically a poor excuse to allow to unlock new paths (always very linear, btw) and keep progressing. Progressing? I should say keep grinding and looting. And the allure of looting better stuff can only motivate you so much.

There is not much lore, interesting side quests, characters or really RPG elements other than combat stats. If you expect an adventure with an interesting story and characters, you'll find none of this, I fear. Instead, this boils down to infinite grinding of monsters. Even if you play with friends, which I haven't, I don't know that you'll get much out of it other than keep grinding to get loot in order to keep grinding and keep getting loot... Frankly, I finished the single player out of spite for the money I spent, which was not a cheap amount... I was not left with good memories.
  25. May 18, 2014
    I honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it andI honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it and haven't played it since then, I suggest you give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised. It still has some issues, like in order to fix the horrible economy they basically destroyed trading(in that all the highest tier items are pretty much account bound), but the fact that you'll actually find items worth using makes that a whole lot less painful than you would think, and it's definitely better than that awful auction/trading house mess that they had at release. As of 2.0.1 it is good enough that I spent money on their over priced expansion pack, and I honestly was planning on never giving Blizzard another dime, ever again. Expand
  26. Apr 6, 2014
    Revising my overly positive old review. Great combat. Terrible items. Makes for a very underwhelming ARPG. RoS has fixed a lot of problems, but man oh man, this one will go down in history as the roughest release Blizz has ever seen, that is for certain.
  27. Feb 24, 2014
    I've now played all 3 diablo games and I rate the ps3 version of D3 behind D2 but still very enjoyable. I doubt I'll still be playing it 2 years from now like D2, but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth with this game.
    What They Did Right:
    Treasure - Diablo's all about treasure hunting for me looking for the final item of a set, a new weapon for one of your chars, etc. Battle - This
    What They Did Right:
    Battle - This version retains the "arcadeyness" of previous versions with no camera control - isometric view. On the ps3, this frees-up the left joystick for evasive maneuvers which make the battle feel of D3 the best so far.

What they Did wrong:
    Dumbed-down-to-one - Nearly all strategy has been taken out of the game. There are no decisions in character building making every character the same. Once you level a monk (for instance) to level 60, there's no need to play another, you'll just have another maxed-out copy of the first--maybe with slightly different gear. In the D2 days you had to decide where to spend your points and your decisions had a direct effect on the potency of the leveled character. I miss this. If there was a subtitle to this game it should be "Diablo for Dummies".

No more runes - In D3 you have only gems to put in your socketed equipment. Just 4 choices--topaz, emerald, amethyst, and ruby. Boooo!

All and all I'm having a great time vanquishing scores of demons and scooping up madd loot.
    I've reached Paragon in hardcore (after a few failed attempts) and suspect I'll be jamming this game for a few more months until I "switch gears" to concentrate on GTA V (which is waiting on the shelf).

If you liked d2
  28. Feb 23, 2014
    Diablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them withDiablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them with new ones? We could have about 9 character classes ... New characters are extremely uninteresting. I did not like the barbarian or witch doctor or monk or demon hunter. According to me it is just a good magician. Anything else? Probably not. Diablo III- I would only recommend it only for the biggest fans of the series. Expand
  29. Feb 21, 2014
    I played a ton of Diablo 2 growing up. I had high hopes for Diablo 3. The game is really fun, but suffers from replayability issues. I quickly got every class to max level and geared well enough to pile drive the hardest difficulties. I was able to do this much faster than I did in Diablo 2 by using the new Auction House feature. The Auction House feature made it extremely easy toI played a ton of Diablo 2 growing up. I had high hopes for Diablo 3. The game is really fun, but suffers from replayability issues. I quickly got every class to max level and geared well enough to pile drive the hardest difficulties. I was able to do this much faster than I did in Diablo 2 by using the new Auction House feature. The Auction House feature made it extremely easy to cherry pick the best gear in the game for your characters. In a game where the carrot on the stick is the gear grind... having a Auction House negated the carrot. I'm hopeful that the future expansion's overhaul of the legionaries, shut-down of the Auction House, and new character class will spark my interest. Expand
  30. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm not surprised by the black and white "0 or 10" mentality adopted by the average reviewer, or the fact that 90% of people dissing D3 have never played it because they listened to metacritic. If you really, truly believe this game is worth a 2 or a 0, you are much too retarded. Diablo III is not a bad game, and I've played tons of bad games before. As many have pointed out, it suffersI'm not surprised by the black and white "0 or 10" mentality adopted by the average reviewer, or the fact that 90% of people dissing D3 have never played it because they listened to metacritic. If you really, truly believe this game is worth a 2 or a 0, you are much too retarded. Diablo III is not a bad game, and I've played tons of bad games before. As many have pointed out, it suffers from blandness and lack of being unique. This game is is in the "slightly above average" spectrum of things, and while that may be frustrating for many fanboys, it shouldn't affect score. All things considered, it's a fun and enjoyable game, I'm glad I've played it, I won't play it for years to come but that is rarely the case with any game. I recommend this game for a discounted 20$ price tag, because it's about equally as good than Torchlight II or Path of Exile, which are respectively 15$ and free. Expand
  31. Jan 3, 2014
    A good game, but expectations were high, and it failed to be even close to what was expected, and over a year and a half later the real patch is more muhahaha!

Marvel Heroes, Path of Exile, and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing are better IMHO check them out, cost less than this one combined (maybe).
  32. Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, this is how i feel about this game after reading the reviews, then got the game because i want to play it anyways. "Derrrrrrhh derrh derrrpp derpp hurrrpp..hulp..durhur."
  33. Dec 11, 2013
    First impression is good, altough dumbed down compared to part 2. graphics and sound are good, but then you start to notice there are very few good item drops, and they all boil down to the same. one good build per class which is afwul, and after a while very repetetive with no incentive to continue after you hit level 60. Drops are afwul, 4 times the same legendary crap item after a weekFirst impression is good, altough dumbed down compared to part 2. graphics and sound are good, but then you start to notice there are very few good item drops, and they all boil down to the same. one good build per class which is afwul, and after a while very repetetive with no incentive to continue after you hit level 60. Drops are afwul, 4 times the same legendary crap item after a week of playing? come on!! Expand
  34. Dec 10, 2013
    Very boring game with no great standouts, only the narrative maybe. could have been made in 2 years instead of a decade, so much anticipation for nothing, really.....
  35. Dec 5, 2013
    Try not to compare it to Diablo 2 and you might actually have fun playing it. Its fun to slay large amounts of monsters while making your character super powerful.
  36. Nov 29, 2013
    After a lot of initial frustration with installing the game, which actually took more than 2 hours, I was finally able to play it. What first struck me was that the graphics was way under my expectations, the constant internet connection even in single player is a bit of a hazard because it can cause lags and dropouts, and the voice acting and story was pretty bleak, sometimes evenAfter a lot of initial frustration with installing the game, which actually took more than 2 hours, I was finally able to play it. What first struck me was that the graphics was way under my expectations, the constant internet connection even in single player is a bit of a hazard because it can cause lags and dropouts, and the voice acting and story was pretty bleak, sometimes even downright bad.

On the plus side, the gameplay is pretty smooth and somewhat addicting, multiplayer co-op is still a pretty fun experience (just like in Diablo II) and at least it was enough fun to go through once. But the replay value is very low, since you have to suffer through the same story and cheesy dialogue over and over if you wanna run the harder difficulty settings.
    I can understand the constant internet thing it stops piracy as well as serve a purpouse for selling gear in the auction house which isn't a bad addition at all. Though, if you have a bad connection it means you can't enjoy this game. Dying because of server lag isn't that much fun at all.

I've been waiting for this game for a very long time, and I had expected better graphics, better story, and less bugs and lag.
  37. Nov 21, 2013
    Good game, I actually like how its different from the other diablos. While it lacks in story and could use a bit beefier skill tree I still have hope for blizzard. I am looking forward to the expansion.
  38. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (0/2)

Wildcard -1)

39. Nov 17, 2013
    Lots of people think that this game is a complete disaster and I can't agree with them. Yes, in comparison with its ancestor the game isn't so good, but it's still worth playing. It' just good hack'n'slash. Graphics and music are okay. the greatest minus is has is the length, every act is about 2-2.5 acts length. But still it's a good game. And I don't regret buying it.
  40. Nov 5, 2013
    this game does not deserve a zero 1 or so on this wasnt that bad but was my most dissapointing game ever
    honestly when i finished this game i cried from the dissapointment i loved daiblo 2 so much i had lvl 98 druid i loved every time i killed the cows in the cow lvl but here i had nothing but dissapointment wimsyshire was crap compared to cow lvl boring drops the ending was sloppy aswell i miss the talents the old abilitys and the old hero's the new sorc was so dissapointing no druid just some random guy that looks like he is on crack everything in this game is easy as well the typing is laggy the second bossfight was a random spike all tho was still too easy if i were to say 1 good thing about the game it would be the cutscenes were so good it felt and looked real nothing in this game wants me to keep playing and the comunity is being lost to the better path of exile so 7/10 not good but not bad either
  41. Oct 27, 2013
    Note that most of the extremely low scores were day 1 nerd rage. The truth is that the game is very good for what it is namely, a roguelike action RPG. Diablo III is the best game ever made in its genre. Does this make it a great game? No. Why? Because it is repetitive as heck. But it is polished to a mirror shine it is the best in the genre. It is just that the genre sucks.

You will

You will hear people whining about the always online thing. This is pretty much a non-issue. On launch day, things were rough, but since then, I've had a problem exactly once, which was hardly tragic I lost maybe three minutes of time. The converse of this the fact that you can play ANY of your characters with your friends more than makes up for the annoyance, and its really probably the only reasonable way to keep their marketplace intact.

What about the marketplace itself? You can ignore it if you don't like it, and if you do like it, it is there for your use, and it is easy, convenient, and sure.

What about the game itself? It is Diablo II, but better. It takes everything good about Diablo II, and tosses out everything bad about it the skill trees are gone, you can respec at any time, stat assignments are gone... basically all the stupid busywork which could make your character terrible are gone, and all the things that are fun are present and better. Every character is constantly using their skills, 100% of the time, and this makes for much more diversity in play, and you have many different sorts of attacks on all characters. Some people will nerd rage about losing choices, but let's face it you lost no choices at all. The skill trees existed soley as traps, as there were realistically only a few ways to play any character class, and if you wanted to try out a new skill, you lost that skill point forever, which sucked horribly and encouraged you to never diversify. The stat assignment worked out terribly as only one statistic actually mattered. Diablo III fixes these problems by letting you pick whatever skill from your class you want as long as you are high enough level to use it, and by getting rid of the stats (or rather, your ability to assign them), rather auto-assigning them in an optimal fashion, making the game actually work properly.

The only real bad thing about the game is the same problem that many action RPGs have the gameplay itself is rather tiresome. The really fun enemies only show up later on in the game, making act 1 feel like the act 1 of every other game you've ever played, and quite frankly, even the "really fun" enemies aren't that fun... which is pretty much par for the course for the genre.

There are better, funner games out there, but Diablo III does what it does well. Unfortunately, I just don't think this genre has any life in it anymore we've all played a ton of looters by this point. Do you really need to play one more?

If so, Diablo III might be for you. If not... well, I would recommend against it.
  42. Oct 17, 2013
    The first Diablo game that I didn't become addicted to playing. The good: smooth gameplay, some fun new monsters and abilities, more detailed landscapes. The cut scenes were also beautiful and exciting....only to be ruined by the terrible plot in-game. Yes, the game's main purpose is hack-and-slash and players don't want too much exposition, but the attempts at bringing the story togetherThe first Diablo game that I didn't become addicted to playing. The good: smooth gameplay, some fun new monsters and abilities, more detailed landscapes. The cut scenes were also beautiful and exciting....only to be ruined by the terrible plot in-game. Yes, the game's main purpose is hack-and-slash and players don't want too much exposition, but the attempts at bringing the story together felt like a joke. Obvious and cliche plot twsts. More bad: always online DRM in single player, inconsistency of atmosphere, nothing special about new locations (another boring desert? Seriously?). Hopefully the designers of the next game will realize there are more important things to a game than just changing the interface and general gameplay. 5/10 Expand
  43. Sep 13, 2013
    What could very well be the single most disappointing release in video gaming history, Diablo 3 proves to be a knife twist in the heart for many Diablo fans while simultaneously still managing to stand tall among other action role playing games.

The game's strengths, and more so weaknesses, revolve around both the game's simplicity and the massively multiplayer driven auction house. Where many ARPG's go for a talent tree, or a similar point allotment system, Diablo 3 eliminates that in favor for a small swappable hotkey palette (total of six skills at a time), each skill in turn capable of being upgraded with a single rune out of a choice of 5 that are unlocked gradually as you level. Finally this is capped with three passive skills that are chose from a list of about fifteen.
    While this may seem like an impressively diverse system, most skills and runes are either too bad to be used or too good to be overlooked, and the lack of synergy between skills and runes means that skills will mostly be picked for standalone power over build viability.

The game also requires an online connection in order to prevent item duping, which can lead to death issues due to lag or disconnection making hardcore mode very unappealing. The auction house also tends to be required in order to find gear upgrades due to the sheer absurd rarity of finding a well rolled item. This issue may possibly be resolved in the next expansion, where developers are suggesting that bind on account gear will be more competitive.

While combat mechanics are fairly solid and graphics impressive although not terribly moody, the game falls short with very standard AAA production audio, dull and repetitive enemies, and a surprisingly bad storyline given the game's history and the resources available to the developers. What's more the game seems to revolve around farming loot, as if that aspect alone is what makes a dungeon crawler appealing. Worst of all, perhaps, are the grotesquely skewed attributes in the game, with some stats being godly powerful and others being utterly useless resulting in most items being lackluster to any given player.

Bad itemization is further marred by the fact that only survivability (health, all resist, and life steal) and DPS stats (weapon damage, primary stat, crit, crit damage, attack speed) are the only desirable stats for any given player, meaning that, aside from primary stat and class unique items, everyone gears the exact same regardless of class and build. Essentially the game simplifies things down to how far you can push your DPS without getting instantly killed by enemies, which is eerily similar to the how damage dealers operate in Blizzard's other blockbuster game World of Warcraft.
    Creative tactics and unusual builds, thus, fall to the wayside as the game appears to be attempting to simplify what constitutes a gear upgrade, pushing for player power to manifest in the form of 'farming as quickly as possible'. Avoiding mechanics becomes pointless (it's not very possible most of the time anyway) once a character's DPS And life steal can out heal anything thrown at them, provided their health and damage resistance stats are high enough to be prevent dieing in a fraction of a second. The usefulness of most items, thus, can be ascertained with a mere glance rather than a hearty comparison.

Overall Diablo 3 is not a bad game by any stretch, but simply cannot stand up to the overall quality and replay value demanded of it, or even its own predecessors. The arguably overly simplistic design and scope also leaves the game with an unpleasant aftertaste that smacks too much of a well polished 'baby's first dungeon crawler'. It's worth playing, but simply doesn't offer anything new or exciting to the genre.

7/10 a solid ARPG, better than most, but nothing too special and severely hurt by tripping over it's own poorly executed loot and hero customization philosophies. Required online play is also a slap to the face.
  44. Sep 7, 2013
    1-60 I found it to be a near perfect game. Classes felt distinct. Action was nicely paced. Gear mattered but didn't roadblock you. Everything you could wish for. Its after Inferno that the overall quality took a nose dive. Gear roadblocks, poor drop rates, over-emphasis on using gold/money to buy gear from other players. Really killed my enjoyment. Great game at the start, but god1-60 I found it to be a near perfect game. Classes felt distinct. Action was nicely paced. Gear mattered but didn't roadblock you. Everything you could wish for. Its after Inferno that the overall quality took a nose dive. Gear roadblocks, poor drop rates, over-emphasis on using gold/money to buy gear from other players. Really killed my enjoyment. Great game at the start, but god un-fun pretty quick once paragon levels starts. Hoping the loot and some class skills get a second look. Really a shame to have such a good base game fall off so hard. Expand
  45. Sep 6, 2013
    Overall good game, its a sequel though. Kept the feel of the older Diablos but you can use four abilities at once (using hotkeys) rather then 1. The fact that this game has a 3.8 user score means that people dont know what they are talking about and need to get a clue... games not perfect but over all good.
  46. Aug 22, 2013
    I must be one of the few gamers reviewing this game who didnt much like or play Diabolo 2. D2 was BORING. It was repetitive. The sound effects were annoying. The graphics sucked. The story was stupid, and combat was either too easy or too hard. Not only that, the skill trees were confusing, the classes were irritating and there was no kind 'role playing' in the game at all. The thing thatI must be one of the few gamers reviewing this game who didnt much like or play Diabolo 2. D2 was BORING. It was repetitive. The sound effects were annoying. The graphics sucked. The story was stupid, and combat was either too easy or too hard. Not only that, the skill trees were confusing, the classes were irritating and there was no kind 'role playing' in the game at all. The thing that Diabolo 2 did well was LOOT. That cube thing! Gems! legendary items. While I didn't much like the game in total, I loved the loot! loot was the one thing Diabolo 2 did well. Diabolo 2 was the KING of loot games. The loot was so good, that even someone who disliked eveything else, actually stuck around to play a bit, just to see what I could find. Whether you could use it or not, every hour it seemed you could find something interesting to look at, stick in the cube and mess around with. Loot in D2 was the best. So what happened Blizzard? Now we have Diabolo 3. All the things that were bad in the last game seem to be better. Yet the thing that was most important. The thing that was fun. the one area in which Diabolo as a franchise outshone every other game in existence has been NERFED!!!!!!!!!! You must be facking kidding! What is this game? Its some kind of conveyor belt of pretty spell effects and boring loot that we are supposed to play? No cube? No sockets? No set pieces? No legendaries? No NOTHING in the one area where Diabolo was worth playing???? Do i get it right that this game was designed to be boring so that we would pay cash to buy things that we used to have fun finding. that doesn't make any sense. Buying items gives ZERO sense of satisfaction. If you buy an item you only feel like you wasted real money on some data, that we get for free in every other possible game we play under the sun? This is not game design. THIS IS ZERO FUN. Zero fun equals zero score guys. Who ever is responsible for this needs to go and find a job doing else, because they clearly don't understand games. Hey developers please don't be so cynical, so mean spirited, so corporate, so compromised, so petty, so nasty, so explotative, so cruel! Stop measuring success on unit sales and annual turnover. With the kind of budget power Blizzard has, you could have made a game so much better than Torchlight 2. You got outgunned by a team with 10% of your budget, but 5000% more integrity! what a pack of utter, spineless losers this team is, their boss's member deep up their collective rear end. Hang your heads in shame! If you can't make the game you want to make quit and find a place where you can. If your boss has bad values, quit and stop helping him exploit you to exploit his customers! Show some spine and integrity! Your whole team should compose a letter of denunciation and leave en-masse. Maybe then we can forgive you for this joyless auction house with bloom effects tacked on. 1/10 for those things that were improved. 3 very quiet claps for that

47. Aug 19, 2013
    My Honest Review:

Positive: + The Battle is fluid, Solid. But to much explosion. + No More loading screen + Better Graphics Negative: - Artstyle was reduced to cater children, nothing dark, no fright at all, WoW like big shoulders - 4 Player coop (Designed for ease of Console porting) - Always online - Simplification and linear on itemization with simplified elements. Your
    My Honest Review:

+ The Battle is fluid, Solid. But to much explosion.
    + No More loading screen
    + Better Graphics

- 4 Player coop (Designed for ease of Console porting)
    - Always online
    - Simplification and linear on itemization with simplified elements.
    Your class needs main stats, vitality, crits, attack speed.
    Like WoW, higher level item will always better than the lower one.
    Because higher level item offer more Stats which is simple because Diablo 3 itemization is all about stacking those stat, making itemization nothing more than stat sticks.
    Every other classes and build use this kind of item. There is no build defining item.
    - Templated Character progression
    - Demon Lords acts childlike, yapping all around.
    - Grind for Gold
    - There is really no build till this day
    - No PVP
    - Addition of cooldowns in everything.
    - Cannot Deactivate Cinematics, you have to constantly pressing esc to skip them.
    - Limited to 6 skill on choice (Designed for ease of Console porting)
    - NO builds.
    - One dimensional Gem to socket.
    With the simplified stat that each class chooses, every player are pigeonholed to use only certain gemstone because gemstones only offer stats.
    So the only stat usable is mainstat of that classes.
    So its a no brainer that a class will without a doubt uses that gemstone.
  48. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3 is hard to review. The area where this game really shines is its combat. The combat is so fluid and satisfying, it really saves the game.

As for the other elements: I didn't like the story or the mood of the game. It certainly isn't as dark as Diablo 2, sometimes it even feels childish, especially how the evil protagonists are presented to you.
    What really annoyed me is the amount of dialogue. Out of nowhere they talk to you, tease you and try to intimidate, but I never felt some kind of horror or fear. The game fails hard in this regard.
    The story is foreseeable, never exciting and all in all it doesn't really fit the Diablo setting. There are also some rather strange deciscion, especially when it comes to Deckard Cain. What happened to him doesn't add anything to the story or game world, but the franchise has lost its most iconic character. What's the point in this? I mean, maybe they have a long term plan when it comes to the story and someday it will make sense, but somehow I doubt this.

The new skill and character system is so easy and dumbed down, it doesn't promote "real" builds or great thought processes. But I won't blame it everything, a big player in this mess is also the item system, which just isn't complexe enough to encourage players to come up with new builds.

There are other things which people do not like, for example the real money auction house or the auction house in general. I am not a huge fan of it either, but nowhere is it the biggest problem of the game.

This price goes to the following: Blizzard is known for supporting its games with regular content. Diablo 3 is different in this way. There hasn't been any "real" content besides the uber bosses since its release, and even that is blatantly stolen from Diablo 2. I mean, they tried to change the game in so many ways, and now they come up with...this? It's not that the system about the uber bosses is bad or anything, it is just disappointing that the new team doesn't have its own ideas where it would be really appropriate, but changes things that worked really well, like the whole character and skill system.
    So, for me this is the biggest problem I have with this game: The lack of new content. And Diablo 3 is desperatley in need of some new mechanics that make this game more diverse. Be it an endless dungeon system like in Torchlight, or the map system like in Path of Exile, the Diablo 3 fails to implement exciting new ways on how to play. Sure, Diablo 2 doesn't have that either, but it has a ladder system and offers a ton of different builds. Diablo 3 doesn't have that and so it needs regular, new content to keep the masses interested. So therefore I never understood why they do not come up with DLCs or something similar, because judging from the lack of content it is obvious that the real money auction house fails to monetise on the game.

Conclusion: I still have hope for Diablo 3, but it will be a long road for Blizzard 'till this game is anywhere near Diablo 2 in terms of fun and replayability. Until then it will be a mindless grind for gear with better stats.
  49. Aug 6, 2013
    Nice compaign for old diablo-gamer, but.. well... Too simplistic and fast gameplay, too many connections with battlenet. Looking forward for the addon. Hope it will make the game much better than it is now.
  50. Aug 5, 2013
    I really wanted to love this game, but with my bad internet connection and the always online requirement I couldn't. When I had good signal I had a good time, not as much fun as I had in D2, but fun none the less.
  51. Jul 23, 2013
    pros:
    - a much awaited Diablo sequel. I know I wanted this game for 10 years
    - very fast loading - decent graphics - coop cons: - there are too few skills to play around in each class and once the difficulty romps up the options are taken out completely - unless you want to double/tripple/quadriple boring farming of the same areas you must use in game auction. that in turn leads
    pros:
    - a much awaited Diablo sequel. I know I wanted this game for 10 years
    - very fast loading
    - decent graphics
    - coop

cons:
    - unless you want to double/tripple/quadriple boring farming of the same areas you must use in game auction. that in turn leads to mudflation. now in 2013 it is possible to get end game gear that allows easy entry into inferno(mp++) with no effort. Getting said gear on your own is impossible. The time spend auctioning is wasted. I'd rather be playing the game then the auction house with virtual items... it is basicly an in game character editor/cheat system that takes hours instead of minutes to get desired results.
    - in 2013 I've acquired enough power to kill anything in the game in under 50 hours solo leaving me with no challenge ahead or desire to play
    - there is noticeable lag related issues like getting killed by unknown force and attacks not registering fast enough leading to death even with latency below 150 in single player.
    - diablo 2 mega annoying random boss system is back but now that players do not have to instant refresh skills and the whole system being much much slower than d2 which isnt a good thing.
    - the only thing that was improved over d2 is graphics and even that is arguable as instead of dark hellish feel the game now feels like WoW.
    - all the maps are now static ...
    - character development does not exist/removed

the rest is imo:
    - an alright game to play once on normal. The rest of the difficulties area actually easier than normal and feature exactly the same content. For me who played d1/d2 a lot d3 feels like a sluggish version of the same game with extra quirks due to internet lag and included in game cheat system called auction house. Characters terribly lack customization options.
  52. Jul 23, 2013
    Diablo 3, despite its many flaws, exploitable content, and grind-oriented gameplay, is a solid title. I could talk about its shortcomings, but seeing as how it has a 4.0 user rating I'm sure most of those have been covered in great detail. Instead I'll talk about how its a reasonably entertaining game with a high amount of polish.

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its predecessors, but they're crisp and aesthetically appealing. The sound and music is also top-tier material; however, voice acting is sub-par.

The co-op is great and it's super easy and super fast to join up with friends. This is accomplished mainly by the fact that the game has virtually no load times. Yes, character customization is dumbed down, but it still has depth.I like the fact that there are so many viable abilities in the end-game and that you can choose a skill setup that matches your play style without severely handicapping yourself. Combat is fun and satisfying. The end-game is difficult, but far from impossible... just as Blizzard promised. Actually, I would have given the game an 8/10, but I felt obligated to subtract a point because of the upcoming nerf to inferno difficulty. Bad move in my opinion. After killing Diablo on inferno difficulty, I have no motivation to continue playing. Nerfing the difficult content is only going to expedite that process for others.

All in all I don't think this game will have the lasting appeal that Diablo 2 did, but it's still a solid title worth checking out, especially if you have some friends to play it with.
  53. Jun 16, 2013
    How great this game would have been if it had been long enough to allow for your character to reach level 60 before you actually reached the end. As a diablo virgin, I leave this game scratching my head wondering what all the fuss has been about. I paid 60 dollars to play a 4 act game and got my character to the mid 30's, then learned to reach the level cap I had to play the same gameHow great this game would have been if it had been long enough to allow for your character to reach level 60 before you actually reached the end. As a diablo virgin, I leave this game scratching my head wondering what all the fuss has been about. I paid 60 dollars to play a 4 act game and got my character to the mid 30's, then learned to reach the level cap I had to play the same game but at a harder level. Same dialogue, same NPC characters... same story. I played through again and STILL was not at level cap. This is award winning game design? As much as I wanted to play the other characters I can't stomach having to go through the same acts 3-4 times each. Now it can be argued that the whole thing is just a loot grab. But I ask why can't the process of grabbing said loot be less monotonous? This game is half the size it should be. Expand
  54. Jun 9, 2013
    if you want to buy this game because you enjoyed diablo 2, don't do it.
    diablo 3 is a pretty solid action game (not arpg) and is enjoyable until a certain point, but it suffer from major design flaws.
    if you want to buy this game because you enjoyed diablo 2, don't do it.
    resistance and armor are the same thing, the damage of EVERY skills (physical attack, spell, minion) is based on the main hand weapon dps, if you want to upgrade you gear (after a certain amount of time) you can rely solely on the auction house.
    i would not recommend anyone from buying it, and the reason i give it a 6, is because the gameplay (smashing monsters face) is very good, indeed the only thing that's good about it.
    if i have to describe diablo 3 in one word, it will be: casualfest.
  55. Jun 7, 2013
    I've waited a long time to say something about this game. A year to be exact, and since then, things have changed considerably. Was the game ridiculous upon release? Yes. Was it a game worthy of a 3.8 user score? No. Was it worthy of a 10? No. Blizzard did the right thing and is sticking by their game. It's hard to review their games because they constantly revise and update their methodsI've waited a long time to say something about this game. A year to be exact, and since then, things have changed considerably. Was the game ridiculous upon release? Yes. Was it a game worthy of a 3.8 user score? No. Was it worthy of a 10? No. Blizzard did the right thing and is sticking by their game. It's hard to review their games because they constantly revise and update their methods and content. It's why writing a review on WoW is kind of pointless. You may love the game one month, and hate it the next. Diablo 3 has been moving, mostly, in the right direction. The story is weak and forgettable like with most video games. You won't be coming into contact with anything but a story designed for a 16 year old boy with little expectations. (Sorry, guys!) The gameplay is solid and visceral, but it lacks the complexity of RPG's in which you tailor and custom build your own character. The game focuses on "builds" with skills and the ability to switch them out on the fly as opposed to a stat allocation system in which all decisions are final. Take it or leave it. It's fun to smash monsters, and that's what D3 is mostly about: killing demons in the most brutal fashion imaginable. The maps gets repetitive after the 200th hour of play, but then again, what wouldn't? Still, I was expecting more variation on the part of Blizzard. Some places literally are the same thing each and every time. The MP can be fun, especially with friends, it is finally better to play WITH people as opposed to running away from them and sticking to solo play. The items in the game can still feel weak in an overall sense and in the subtle sense that most items don't' really do anything but boost your stats in increments. It's very World of Warcraft in that sense, no really cool things going on with the gear. Overall, I think it's a good game, but it's not revolutionary. I find myself playing it because I feel there simply isn't anything else that is a good time sink right now, and I'm not sure that's a good reason to play a game, but there it is. Diablo 3 will eventually probably be a gem, but it is still a work in progress. It's not nearly as bad as people want to believe though. It's a solid game, it's just not "Blizzard level". Expand
  56. May 6, 2013
    Initially, this game was quite fun. Maybe it was the fact that I had waited for 4 years constantly checking the news for any indicators on its release date.

Pros: Great graphics. Combat feels good Great character animations Fluid combat Negatives: Terrible endgame Lack of 8 player games you can name create yourself like Diablo 2 had Awful gear and droprates No PVP at

Pros:
    Great graphics.
    Combat feels good
    Great character animations
    Fluid combat

Negatives:
    Terrible endgame
    Lack of 8 player games you can name create yourself like Diablo 2 had
    Awful gear and droprates
    No PVP at release big letdown
    No harassment pvp like Diablo 2 had
    No open world PVP like Diablo 2 had

The number one disappointment for me though was the lack of a Diablo feel. The story was laughable. The villains were just ridiculous and cartoony, in a bad way. The music was overly epic and didn't fit the Diablo feel. A lot of the game felt a bit like World of Warcraft. In fact there were even naga type enemies in Act 2. One of them had a laughably awful line, "YOU WILL NOT GET INTO THE AQUEDUCT!" or something along those lines.

Overall, just skip the game if you loved Diablo 1 or 2. If you never played the original Diablo games, this is a pretty average game, but I think everyone expected better from Blizzard.
  57. May 2, 2013
    It wasn't a terrible game. The first play through was actually quite fun. And it had that 'I can't wait to get home so I can keep playing' feeling I loved so much with Diablo II.
    But it did have some serious flaws. I really don't appreciate the have to be online to play feature but I understand it, the real money auction house was a joke, the re-playability was limit and the story was kind of sloppy.
    All in all was a good way to kill a week of spare time, but not fantastic.
  58. May 1, 2013
    Although I have found Diablo 3 to be thoroughly enjoyable, I can't deny that I'm somewhat disappointed after such a long wait. Firstly the visuals, despite being pretty, are not really dark enough or befitting of a Diablo title.

I remember playing the first game and being genuinely disturbed by the dank environments, with their low lighting and desaturated sprites. Now it's all too polished, clean and bright.

Although it's fun to go back to the old 'point and click/hack and slash' method of yesteryear, one can't help but think that a slightly more intuitive approach to game play could have been implemented.

If you enjoy the Diablo legend, and similar such 'hell on earth' fantasy type affairs, you'll find a definite level of enjoyment here.
  59. Apr 27, 2013
    If this was a stand alone game and not a sequel to Diablo 2 it would have got a better score from me. The problem is that it is a sequel to Diablo 2 and I dislike the direction they took in designing this game. On it's surface this might seem like a good sequel but if you dig a little under the surface you find that all the things about Diablo 2 that kept you coming back to play hundredsIf this was a stand alone game and not a sequel to Diablo 2 it would have got a better score from me. The problem is that it is a sequel to Diablo 2 and I dislike the direction they took in designing this game. On it's surface this might seem like a good sequel but if you dig a little under the surface you find that all the things about Diablo 2 that kept you coming back to play hundreds of hours aren't there.

The loot and gear system is over simplified and annoying. Combine that with the auction house and you get an annoying combination. In Diablo 2 I found my self eager to take down those tough bosses on nightmare and hell mode too see what loot would drop from them. In Diablo 3 I hate fighting bosses as it's a mostly rewardless experience that can be quite costly. After your first play through on normal bosses won't have good loot drops. You get most of your loot from killing randomly spawn champion or unique enemies. This might be okay if the loot I got was worth a damn but it too is flawed. In Diablo 3 you only care about two stats. Your primary stat (intelligence for wizard or strength for barbarian, ect...) which determines how much damage you do and vitality which determines how much health you have. You can focus of the other ones but it's mostly a waste time as the gains aren't worth it. This system makes loot annoying. Here's how my Diablo 3 loot experience usually goes. Go through an act hunting down the champion monsters. Get a rare drop every now and then and the go and identify the drop. At this point a lot of the time the loot doesn't have a good primary stat on it and becomes trash to sell at a vendor. When it does 80%+ of the time it's not your stat and you can at best sell it on the auction house. Even then it's usually still bad as the other stats or damage of the weapon can still be bad. This means that you will have to go to the auction house to get most of your gear in this game and I can't stress enough how unfulfilling it is to get gear that way. In Diablo 2 I felt like I was on a quest to get to the end of the dungeon which probably had epic loot which would spill forth upon slaying the difficult boss at end. In Diablo 3 I feel like I'm working a steady job to make money so I can afford my gear upgrades which I purchase from a store. Figuring out which gear to use isn't even that fun. It boils down to those two stats I mentioned earlier and in the case of a weapon you check it's dps.

The actual click fest murdering monsters as you work your way through the game is good for the genre but that alone is not what makes games in this genre fun in the first place. The skill system and combat are both good but not nearly enough to save this game. The story is good and the cg is top notch for the cut scenes are top notch but it's not enough to save this game. I can't recommend you buy this game if you are looking for a good sequel to Diablo 2. The content I see is good enough for one play through on normal at best. Also as a side note, where is our promised pvp? My bet is that they hid it in the coming expansion which you will have to pay for.

Goods
    Combat is fun
    Graphics are shiny(the game looks nice)
    Cinematics are top notch

Bad
    Loot/Gear systems is broken and not fun
    Auction house It's a break in my gameplay, not fun and makes the game feel like a job
    Missing promised features Where's my pvp?
    Drop system further makes loot not fun Bosses don't drop loot after normal

Conclusion: If you liked Diablo 2 and are looking for more of the same, don't play this game. Titan Quest or Torchlight 2 are much better options for lovers of Diablo 2 than this game.
  60. Apr 23, 2013
    It's probably been said in the hundreds of reviews this is not a Diablo game. In fact, if it was not named "Diablo", this would make a great 10 buck arcade game. If that was the case, I would give it a direct 5 star rating. But now I'm grading this game according to the expectations that it set and how it compares to its great predecessor. Lets see the pros and cons:

Pros: - Beautiful

Pros:
    - Beautiful animations and effects
    - Fantastic sound (with the right headphones it is truly a blast)
    - Improved inventory management and storage
    - Auction house makes it easier to trade....you don't need to stay in a "trade" game for hours to sell/buy stuff

Cons:
    - Visuals do not match the Diablo universe it too colorful and childish, nothing like the dark tones in Diablo 1 and 2
    - Being able to change skills on the fly, and no attributes distribution, is interesting but it feels like you don't invest anything in your character (aka very limited personalization). I would rather prefer a skill tree system like in Diablo 2, but with the option to reset your skills for a small cost.
    - Itemization, which was the core of the previous games, is simply WRONG! Finding a really good item, worth keeping or selling is very hard, the legendary items are 95% of the time rubbish, the scaling is ridiculous there is nothing worth keeping for more than few levels, because at level 60 even the blue items are far superior to the level 55 legendaries.
    - Real money auctions make the game P2W (pay to win)
    - The crafting system is bad the randomization of the stats and the high crafting costs, means that you end up spending a lot more money to craft something useful, than by buying it from AH
    - There are no rune words, imbuing, socketing, jewels, horadric crafting, etc.....
    - The story is simple and anti-climatic and characters are dull and annoying. The mercs are totally useless on the high levels
    - Last but not least, the constant online requirement is frustrating...

So if you are wondering whether to buy this or not......if you are not a diablo hardcore fan keep wondering until the price drops to 10 pounds, at the current price it is not worth it. If you are a fan, better wait for Torchlight 2.
  61. Mar 20, 2013
    A game with potential, colourful graphics and cartoony action pack game brings you the fastest selling game of all time. Diablo 3, with its all the time action requires all the time lagging with DRM connection. Play up the 4 players which was a decrease from Diablo 2. Get the best gear from looting or have a better chance of throwing your old weapons and gears away from the Auction House.A game with potential, colourful graphics and cartoony action pack game brings you the fastest selling game of all time. Diablo 3, with its all the time action requires all the time lagging with DRM connection. Play up the 4 players which was a decrease from Diablo 2. Get the best gear from looting or have a better chance of throwing your old weapons and gears away from the Auction House. Very predictable storyline with annoying characters as they guide you through Diablo 3. An attempt of shocking ending makes players want to face palm themselves because Blizzard was trying too hard on making a predictable plot twist. DIABLO 3 brought to you by BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT. Expand
  62. Mar 16, 2013
    The gameplay, while amusing the first time through, isn't good or varied enough to warrant repeat playthroughs, which definitely hurt a game that is about loot grinding. No randomization, and an absolutely broken launch also brought this one down. Things are smoothed out now server-wise, and they've dragged the game up out of the gutter with the inclusion of a new secondary levelingThe gameplay, while amusing the first time through, isn't good or varied enough to warrant repeat playthroughs, which definitely hurt a game that is about loot grinding. No randomization, and an absolutely broken launch also brought this one down. Things are smoothed out now server-wise, and they've dragged the game up out of the gutter with the inclusion of a new secondary leveling system, but it's still 'tacked-on' feeling. They still have a way to go before this becomes something that keeps people playing. Expand
  63. Mar 11, 2013
    This is mostly looking back review, since I've experienced this game from a very launch till few big patches came. Patches did huge deal with D3, reworked difficulties, totally rebalanced characters, lots of items changes,raising two questions: is really long Alpha and Beta was necessary? And how do I played it daylong back in May? So that's amazing how addictive gameplay could be. NoThis is mostly looking back review, since I've experienced this game from a very launch till few big patches came. Patches did huge deal with D3, reworked difficulties, totally rebalanced characters, lots of items changes,raising two questions: is really long Alpha and Beta was necessary? And how do I played it daylong back in May? So that's amazing how addictive gameplay could be. No Offline (thanks to DRM) made player always suffer every trouble of Blizzard servers or your own connection. Sound and animation is a very positive point of the game, immersive and greatly combined with each other.
    What in summary: There is a thought, that D3 could have good use of an Add-on, like D2 gained its LoD.
  64. Mar 9, 2013
    For art this gets a 9, for effort a 10, but for fun it gets a 5 and that is what matters. The story pulls you through about 15-20 hours of play then, your done. Thats right. 15-20 hours and then you will get bored. Nice job blizzard you over polished a game with about 20 hours of play.
  65. Mar 8, 2013
    DRM is the biggest problem, with bad internet I was forced to stop playing. Fast forward to good internet time, a very dumbed down game where there is no skill tree and casual playing is greatly rewarded while time invested nets little to no return. There is definitely fun to be had but filling the shoes of Diablo 2 was simply too much for them. A great game as an introduction to theDRM is the biggest problem, with bad internet I was forced to stop playing. Fast forward to good internet time, a very dumbed down game where there is no skill tree and casual playing is greatly rewarded while time invested nets little to no return. There is definitely fun to be had but filling the shoes of Diablo 2 was simply too much for them. A great game as an introduction to the series/style but a step backwards as far as fans of the series are concerned. Expand
  66. Mar 7, 2013
    What can I say, if this game was to diablo2 what diablo2 was to the first diablo, it would be a perfect 10, but sadly, blizzard doesn't deliver this time.
    Except from the issues at launch, and the always on DRM, the service has been good. Where my main issue lies is with the itemization. Instead of grinding for better gear, you grind for gold so you can buy better gear, and that's nowhere near as fun, even though the combat system is one of the best hack n slash experiences ever.

For an expansion, I'd like to see an option to switch off auction house (with the reward being higher dropchances), I'd like an option to disable all the ingame cutscenes (before bosses etc. they get really annoying after your 100th playthrough). And I'd like better itemization, like runewords, chance to drop all kinds of quality gems (albeit a really low chance), and maybe add charms to the game?
  67. Feb 21, 2013
    So they decided to release the console version finaly, well now we know that beta testing is over so you can enjoy it on console (with off line mode and local co-op) Without Error 37 and other things. This game was made for console and that is just like spiting on consumer face. Even before Diablo 3 release (with all those ui changes)people where speaking about but i never wanted toSo they decided to release the console version finaly, well now we know that beta testing is over so you can enjoy it on console (with off line mode and local co-op) Without Error 37 and other things. This game was made for console and that is just like spiting on consumer face. Even before Diablo 3 release (with all those ui changes)people where speaking about but i never wanted to believe, god damn greedy bastards. Expand
  68. Feb 5, 2013
    I'm sure people are woundering why so many hate this game or simply why the critics say its so great. Yet almost every gamer is against it, now I'm a fan of the first two diablos, especially the second diablo. Whats happened in diablo three is that blizzard tried to take the series in a new direction. Which is what the second diablo did, but kept with what made diablo one so great and thatI'm sure people are woundering why so many hate this game or simply why the critics say its so great. Yet almost every gamer is against it, now I'm a fan of the first two diablos, especially the second diablo. Whats happened in diablo three is that blizzard tried to take the series in a new direction. Which is what the second diablo did, but kept with what made diablo one so great and that was the ablity to put skill points into verying skill trees which would change how the game played out. How diablo three does it is by using a system like WoW in which most skills and attributes are gained as one levels. So basically to make the game harder and in their minds to create more replay value. Which the only thing it really does is make people either farm for a certain point in the game in which their character gets one shoted at the very beginning of the level. Or to try and play through another few times to see what other loot comes with a higher difficulty. Which leads into the other issue diablo 3 has, its difficulty sittings are for force play. Just like the characters blizzard is trying to make it have more replay value but it doesn't pan out. If you've played the first two games you can plainly see through the story and basically know the ending by the end of the first level. For anyone else who is just now joining the series you probably won't get it until later on. Over all the game in itself is good, the art work that blizzard is known for shines and the game play is good. But it isn't a diablo game. If anything it should have been marketed as a different game since the only real connection between this game and its predecessor is the cookie cuter story. If they had changed the name and created a whole new series then I'd give it a 8 out of 10. But since its supposed to be diablo and the soul of it has been changed so that collections of new players can enjoy it more. It gets a 5 out of 10 Expand
  69. Jan 24, 2013
    Diablo 3 was my first Diablo. I'm not going to compare it to Diablo 2. D3 is a fun hack and slash game. However, you have to play through the campaign 3 times just to get to inferno difficulty. This is PER character! This can be extremely frustrating, when you want to test out different characters. And when you do get to level 60, there is almost no build diversity. Inferno is just simpleDiablo 3 was my first Diablo. I'm not going to compare it to Diablo 2. D3 is a fun hack and slash game. However, you have to play through the campaign 3 times just to get to inferno difficulty. This is PER character! This can be extremely frustrating, when you want to test out different characters. And when you do get to level 60, there is almost no build diversity. Inferno is just simple to strong for the averaged geared players to switch up their skills and try to have fun. The endgame is farming, which I have no problem with, and neither should you. However, the drops are simple terrible, and all Blizzard has done is gone and 'Doubled' pretty much everything! I'm going to stop here and let you form your own opinion, but this is a pretty average game. Diablo 3 will get better the as more patches come out. I'm going to give it a 6/10 because it offers massive replay ability. I got well over 400 hours before it started to feel repetitive. If you want to get Diablo 3 all I can recommend is to stay away from the RMAH. Expand
  70. Jan 20, 2013
    Good game. You can play for about 15-30minutes and go away, and then return. It doesn't need to stare at your PC for hours and hours. Good mechanisms.
    Background could be more gothic.
    It doesn't feel like a full game, but like a beta. It's just good, I thought that a this Blizzard game would be awesome.
  71. Jan 11, 2013
    Diablo 3 is ok but it is nothing compared to the past Diablo games. There are also other games like torch light 2 which are better and cheaper. Diablo 3 is just a waste of money, the only thing you will be getting is disappointment.
  72. Jan 2, 2013
    -4 because of such a heavy reliance on an auction house and real money auction house. I have to fill 45 remaining characters. I have to fill nine rema
  73. Dec 23, 2012
    Wow... I haven't tried the game out but... I'm never going to try it now. Look at the score. It's totally red. Normally people give it 7 or 8 and then you will think about it. But this is too dangerous.
  74. Dec 22, 2012
    I am playing this kind of games for the loot. And in D3 loot kinda sucks. It feels there is not many items and their drop rates are painful. Combat system is pretty cool and fun to play. Graphic looks very nice, but it feels little bit less dark and daemonic than I expected. Maybe is time for Blizzard to forget everything they learned from making WOW and start thinking out of the box.
  75. Dec 13, 2012
    The User Score is just a tad low, but far more accurate than the critic scores.

The User Score is just a tad low, but far more accurate than the critic scores.

For veterans of the Diablo series, there are clear disappointments with this title. If D3 is your first Diablo title, you'll likely think it's a great game. All told, it's got some excellent stuff and some really bad ideas. The two clash in such a way that it's hard to appreciate the way the game was developed.

The action of D3 is unmatched. The smooth controls, fluid ability use, mindless hack and slash of monster explosions is a symphony of awesome. The art is beautiful, the music is fair, and the sheer ease with which you can move through the game is addicting. But the cost has been extremely high and it may show itself to have not been worthwhile in the long run. It would take a lot to redeem this franchise, as D3 obliterates it's past, remakes itself, and sells its soul in the name of accessibility.

So what's the soul of Diablo? It used to be character building. Nothing gave the game it's staying power and intrigue like it's character building. This included stat allocations and the infamous gear hunt. This is all gone in D3. While some may argue that the gear hunt is still there, it is without purpose or intrigue. Few can be bothered to hunt down the astronomical hours it would take to find near perfect items as we all once loved to do in D2. This is due to the introduction of the Auction Houses, which have had a detrimental impact on the design of items and ultimately on their drop rate. D3 isn't boring, but it's no sequel. This game could have been labeled with any other name and received high fan acclaim. But as a sequel, it's been largely rejected as reflected in the User Score here. It just doesn't live up to it's predecessors and falls very short of being a strong game on it's own merit.
  76. Dec 11, 2012
    While the end game has gotten much better with the recent patches, the glaring issues that drag it down are more than numerous. No offline play, server downtime for maintenance, lag, and the inability to build a character truly as your own make this a disappointment compared to Diablo II. Torchlight II offers more for your money and a better gameplay experience.
  77. Dec 4, 2012
    This game has excellent voice acting, excellent stylized cut-scenes and excellent graphics. I enjoyed this game very much when I got it, it is fun to play. Each class has its unique play style and feel. The sound effects are awesome. Overall, I think it was worth the price. And now for the bad side: - the always online requirement caused lag issues often when you play solo. There is noThis game has excellent voice acting, excellent stylized cut-scenes and excellent graphics. I enjoyed this game very much when I got it, it is fun to play. Each class has its unique play style and feel. The sound effects are awesome. Overall, I think it was worth the price. And now for the bad side: - the always online requirement caused lag issues often when you play solo. There is no good reason why the player should experience lag while playing solo, it should be played offline. - loot drops are horrible, it is hard to progress with the random gear that drops for you. I think Blizzard did this on purpose to make it hard to progress without using the Real Money Auction House which they make a cut of profit from. - Blizzard monitors everything everyone is doing all the time like Big Brother and often decides to nerf your class or alter the game when people find ways to increase their odds of finding good gear. Once again I think this is to try to force you into using the real money action house. - ironically, the auction house UI is horrible. It is extremely difficult to find out what the average selling price is for a piece of gear you have. People who are used to the excellent WoW AH will find this very frustrating to use. - the crafting system is too random, you can in theory use blacksmithing to help you make gear while you are progressing, but due to the randomness you are unlikely to get the gear you need - the game is very repetitive. You do the exact same story on each of the 5 character classes and there are four levels and each level you do the entire story again, so your gameplay will consist of doing the same story 20X if you level 5 classes to the end. Gets boring after a while. To be fair the maps have random elements (caves/dungeons) and mobs in them that don't spawn every time but it is still very similar each time. - my last complain is a minor one, but there is no way to really see what the gear looks like on your character without leaving the game and looking at the character in the hero screen. In other games like WoW I like to check out what a new piece of gear looks like on my character. The Diablo 3 gear looks really good, but it is a shame you can't easily zoom in on your character to see the great artwork the games artists did when you equip a new piece of gear. There is a minor zoom function but it still views your character too small to really see. They should just copy the WoW character screen where you can zoom in and rotate your character from withing your inventory, maybe an optional tab you can open up. All my major complaints are related to the always online requirement. I'd happily opt out of ever being able to use the auction houses if it meant I could play solo offline, I only used the AH once because I hate the AH UI anyway. I dread to think of ever making a hard-mode character (where if you die you die for good) with all the lag spikes, I'm certain lag would probably kill me before a monster did which would not be fair.

Pros:

+ you character looks awesome!
    + looting, killing and combat sound effects sound awesome!
    + loot name text has no boxes behind the text so you can easily see baddies behind it that you are fighting
    + voice acting is decent, all info given through voice acting
    + good story telling (albeit lame story)
    + cut scenes are good, they are artistic and stylized
    + this game has an intentional retro feel, but does not feel dated
    + classes (5 choices) are diverse and interesting, each class has its own unique gameplay feel

Cons:

- $60US (over-priced should be $30-$40)
    - single player requires Internet connection, server-lag, rubber-banding and server DCs occur frequently
    - loot is boring, rares/legendaries are often worse than common items and often useless to any class, upgrades drop 0.001% of the time (ie: almost never, this game is a boring, tedious gear-grind)
    - all characters of the same class look identical
    - no mods allowed
    - Blizzard treats this like its an MMORPG in closed-beta: BS nerfs and changes often from Blizzard, forced to play how they want you to play instead of how you want to play. Game is unbalanced, you're 1-shotting everything one hour, next hour everything is 1-shotting you. Elites are harder than bosses, final boss Diablo is easiest boss (wtf?), etc.
    - questing is very linear, do the same story 4X on a single character, repeat for all five classes
    - zoom feature really sucks, you have the choice between looking at your toon normal (extremely small) or zoomed-in (very small), no custom zoom, no way to see your gear close up without logging out of the game to the hero screen
    - forced to start your character at easymode and repeat entire game each time to reach next difficutly

Neutral:

. stats are automatically assigned by the game when you level according to your class
    . chosen skills can be switched at anytime (with a short cooldown)
  78. Dec 2, 2012
    Game is getting better with every patch and it is good if you just expected what is is: jump in, kill some stuff and relax. Good enough for me but I would expect something more from Blizzard.
  79. Nov 28, 2012
    With the last patches Diablo III is now a better game. Still far from old Diablo but at least you can avoid RMAH... Good Atmosphere (except some wird manganized boss, like the butcher, and other minor things), very good weapons impact feedback, a little too short, especially in the end.
  80. Nov 23, 2012
    Graphics were reasonably good. but the storyline and overall gameplay was dull and boring, with not a huge amount of replay value. I felt everything I did was repeated over and over again.
  81. Nov 20, 2012
    With all the big time RPGs coming out lately, you had to expect that blizzard was going to knock your socks off with this one. Unfortunately for me it was little bit of let down. The 7 that I am giving is generous. The game has many issues one being the rather mundane maps that really dont show the scale of the game. Enemies are really rather boring to fight to, with the exception ofWith all the big time RPGs coming out lately, you had to expect that blizzard was going to knock your socks off with this one. Unfortunately for me it was little bit of let down. The 7 that I am giving is generous. The game has many issues one being the rather mundane maps that really dont show the scale of the game. Enemies are really rather boring to fight to, with the exception of maybe Rankoth the second the last boss, there is isnt alot of strategy or versatility to your character, granted I only played as a demon hunter, but I found myself using the same moves over and over. Secondly the item drops are horrible with no legendary items and I just didnt feel like questing a lot in this game because there was no real good rewards as you went on. I slogged through this for about 80 hours and defeated it on Nightmare mode and then moved onto other games. Expand
  82. Nov 20, 2012
    It's really hard to fault Diablo III as 90% of the game has stayed true to the exact same formula used in Diablo and Diablo II. While playing the game through the first time was a blast it remains to be seen if the game will have the longevity that made its predecessors legendary.
  83. Nov 19, 2012
    Face it. You bought Diablo 3 expecting a hack and slash. It's repetitive. That's what Diablo 2 and the first one was. Just killing endless mobs to advance through the level. But there was ONE THING that shone through the first two games: the loot. Back in Diablo II, you could expect a set piece or two with some decent loot when you went through your Meph runs, later to be Baal runs. DiabloFace it. You bought Diablo 3 expecting a hack and slash. It's repetitive. That's what Diablo 2 and the first one was. Just killing endless mobs to advance through the level. But there was ONE THING that shone through the first two games: the loot. Back in Diablo II, you could expect a set piece or two with some decent loot when you went through your Meph runs, later to be Baal runs. Diablo III has ruined the loot system. You can spend hours before you find an upgrade. Most of your upgrades will likely be from the Auction House. I have no problems with the rune skill system compared to the skill tree in Diablo II, it usually boiled down to one most efficient build anyway. But the class balance is terrible. I'm played a wizard for my main character, always overshadowed by barbarians, but in all honesty the class that needs some love is the monk. As of 1.0.5., the current stance of Blizzard is "We feel monks are currently fine as they are". 1.0.5. also saw the better loot drops by capping Inferno's item levels at 58, but you will still run through hours without finding anything sellable. The game isn't dead, it probably still has more players than Torchlight II, the supposed Diablo killer that now only has 5-7k concurrently, but the player numbers are EXTREMELY low for a Diablo game. In summary: Loot is TERRIBLE compared to the last two Diablos and class system needs a lot of work. I doubt we'll see that soon with the current Cheng Wilson combo as leads. Expand
  84. Nov 16, 2012
    I waited patiently for many years for Diablo. I had pre-ordered and waited months to actually play the game. I never used my BETA invite such was my anticipation for this game. My first run through was truly epic, I had read no spoilers at all and I was completely overwhelmed by what was unfolding before me. However I felt the chore of levelling in only my second play through and I reallyI waited patiently for many years for Diablo. I had pre-ordered and waited months to actually play the game. I never used my BETA invite such was my anticipation for this game. My first run through was truly epic, I had read no spoilers at all and I was completely overwhelmed by what was unfolding before me. However I felt the chore of levelling in only my second play through and I really can't get over the feeling of a 3D platform game, it really feels that linear to me. It doesn't feel like I'm in this desolate world where I can go and explore and just murder hordes of creeps. Cinematics are some of the best I have ever seen, the story is good, but the re-playability is poor. DRM is a bad idea but understandable with real money in the mix, although I never used the RMAH an option to not use it and play offline would have been acceptable Expand
  85. Nov 15, 2012
    A solid third installment of the franchise with the gameplay still enjoyable. However the major changes made by Blizzard to character development and the way you grind weapons (also introducing Auction House) stink of greedy business ideas and just trying to make as much $$$ off of a brand without actually making a great game.
  86. Nov 15, 2012
    Well inplementing a Paragon System or a Monster Power System doesnt cure the Games horrendous, unfair and unsatisfying Design. Online Requirement... Well what if im on a Vacation and i wanna Farm some Gold or items and i have the needs and the DVD and the ALLREADY Online activated Game with me to play, why cant i do so ? I PAID FOR IT! Am i simply not allowed to play it ? Seriously, thisWell inplementing a Paragon System or a Monster Power System doesnt cure the Games horrendous, unfair and unsatisfying Design. Online Requirement... Well what if im on a Vacation and i wanna Farm some Gold or items and i have the needs and the DVD and the ALLREADY Online activated Game with me to play, why cant i do so ? I PAID FOR IT! Am i simply not allowed to play it ? Seriously, this should count as a Crime, badly, it doesnt! Expand
  87. Nov 14, 2012
    This game deserves an 7 out of 10, and anyone who says less is a biased idiot. I never played Diablo much after beating it once, but I easily have over 1000 hours in D2 over the past decade I've played this game.
    Even from the first patch, this game deserved an 7/10, and I believe the game will only get better over time.
    Many people poured 100's of hours into this game, yet still claim
    Many people poured 100's of hours into this game, yet still claim it deserves a 0/10. This does not make sense. I ask, how many games in your life have you put 300+ hours in, and of those games, how many of those games could you say sucked? If you answered anything greater than 0, congratulations, you are an idiot. You could have stopped at any time.
    Diablo 3 is a well polished game that had many balance issues.

Most gamers complained D3 was too hard at release. The game was actually made too easy. I exclusively played Hardcore and did not have any troubles through Inferno. When I hit A1 inferno, I then made a SC char and was able to make it to A3 Inferno in a week before hitting a wall (first patch, after obviously glitches were taken care of). The developers intended to make Inferno hard, and everything "worked as intended," although that's not what the average gamer wanted. It was supposed to take a month for the first person to to clear Inferno, instead it took like a week. Blizzard has since fixed this to make Inferno a cake walk, even at higher Monster Levels.

The game is dumbed down. There is little character customization, even in the equipment. As we all know, you stack Vit, All Res, Crit, and Primary stat. This "formulization," where there is always an ideal way to max your DPS or survivability is well known, and another poor quality of the game. However, this was primarily an end-game issue when your gear is set so you can conquer Inferno at higher ML. During the initial playthrough, there is tons of (cheap) gear you can use to hack through the monsters, and there were new skills to try out instead of a specific build. RMAH is broken. This is probably the most damning thing of the game. RMAH opens up Blizzard for lawsuits, encourages chinese gold farming and "Pay to win" mentality. It also hinders Blizzard from making great updates (How will an (idiot) player feel who spent $1000's to get gear which becomes obsolete?). Trading should have worked without RMAH.

TLDR: The game gave 100's of hours of fun before getting old, and predictable with a crap endgame. It is also dumbed down. Blizzard has and will put out patches that improve the game dramatically, and you will find yourself coming back to this game in years to come.
  88. Nov 14, 2012
    I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time.I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time. Playing through again is kind of a chore- the plotline is pretty terrible, so that's certainly not a reason to go through again. Once you have all the skills, the runes are not that compelling of a reason to continue leveling up. Gear is hard to come by, as certain attributes are nearly useless for certain classes. Then again, you already all know this. The game is not as bad as has been said (you're pretty much guaranteed to put more than 30 hours into the game, which is, in my opinion, worth the price), but then again- I wasn't a D2 fanatic myself. I played casually in D2, and feel that D3 is an upgrade in certain ways, but a downgrade in others (plotline, atmosphere, and character customizability). Expand
  89. Nov 14, 2012
    Hi all. I am writing this review after playing the game since day one and i must say i had fun with Diablo III. The game itself features nice but not-that-amazing graphics, interesting classes and an overall fun gameplay. When you finish the game at normal difficulty you may switch to a higher one and replay the storyline: it is nothing new nor different but the advanced difficulty is,Hi all. I am writing this review after playing the game since day one and i must say i had fun with Diablo III. The game itself features nice but not-that-amazing graphics, interesting classes and an overall fun gameplay. When you finish the game at normal difficulty you may switch to a higher one and replay the storyline: it is nothing new nor different but the advanced difficulty is, overall, a nice challenge to take. The real disappointment, though, comes when you finish the game and all the difficulty levels up to Inferno (and don't think this will take a good amount of time...): simply put, Diablo III end game is, at the moment, nothing more then a gold farm, necessary in order to buy better equipment. Repetitiveness at its finest. The more money one is able to make, the better the character will be. Players' skill almost does not matter at all: success = build + equip. I will wait for the multiplayer patch which should add a deeper end game content. Blizzard still has a chance to change Diablo III into a very good game, with the multiplayer addition, but this will be far from a simple tasks, since it won't be easy to balance player equipments and skill levels. Expand
  90. Nov 13, 2012
    The game itself is not bad, even if it can be quite repetitive and the story is not good, the thing that holds this game back massively are all the little things that blizzard has done with the auction house and making it so you can not play offline, This game is not an MMO like world of warcraft etc, it should not require a constant online connection to play, the auction house ruins theThe game itself is not bad, even if it can be quite repetitive and the story is not good, the thing that holds this game back massively are all the little things that blizzard has done with the auction house and making it so you can not play offline, This game is not an MMO like world of warcraft etc, it should not require a constant online connection to play, the auction house ruins the fun of trying to get nice loot drops since you can just go to the auction house and buy all the best gear, considering that loot is a big part of this game, being able to buy all of it instantly kills the point of trying to improve your character over time. I enjoyed the classes, the gameplay and the fun of playing with friends online, but I still would of liked the choice to play alone offline if I wanted. Expand
  91. Nov 11, 2012
    Welcome to your next job, courtesy of Blizzard, except the neat twist is that you pay. A lot of people might complain about the always online aspect of the game, but chances are you still will play a game with DRM if it is a good game. Diablo 3 is a decent game, but it will eat your soul as advertised, perhaps it's better not to be lured in this time.
  92. Nov 10, 2012
    I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with Diablo 1 and 2. The franchise has never tried to be clever, intelligent or exceptionally different, but this is just too bland. The skills system is too simple, the attributes aren't there at all and everything just depends on your equip, not your actual playing. And the auction house just ruins the whole experience. More than a great video game,I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with Diablo 1 and 2. The franchise has never tried to be clever, intelligent or exceptionally different, but this is just too bland. The skills system is too simple, the attributes aren't there at all and everything just depends on your equip, not your actual playing. And the auction house just ruins the whole experience. More than a great video game, it feels like a money maker, and that's not the way I want to see the gaming industry go. Expand
  93. Nov 8, 2012
    A great sequel to the series which improved on everything that the previous games in the series lacked, be it balance, itemization (post 1.0.5), re-playability, overall fun and the faith to the previous games.

Plagued by flimsy launch and hype, people have smashed it in the social media and will tell you its horrible and/or terrible. I'll tell you this. If you like ARPGs, liked

I'll tell you this. If you like ARPGs, liked Diablo 1/2 and just want to play a good hack & slash RPG with most of the limitations Diablo 2 suffered from, Diablo 3 is for you.

If you want to judge the game by gossip, reviewers who haven't even played it and/or the previous games or simply have chosen to hate it, then don't get it.

In the end, Diablo 3 is a very solid game which launched as a 6/10 game, has now been fixed to 8/10 area and which can improve itself to 10/10 ratio over future patches / expansions.
  94. Oct 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that remains more or less true to its predecessors. If you enjoy hitting logs, skeletons, or pots, and watching a shower of gold and items fall to the ground, you will be pleased the core mechanics are unchanged. I enjoyed the art direction of D3 - it is neither cartoony nor 'bright', and the story feels more focused and interesting, though it only gets in the way duringDiablo 3 is a game that remains more or less true to its predecessors. If you enjoy hitting logs, skeletons, or pots, and watching a shower of gold and items fall to the ground, you will be pleased the core mechanics are unchanged. I enjoyed the art direction of D3 - it is neither cartoony nor 'bright', and the story feels more focused and interesting, though it only gets in the way during subsequent playthroughs. The current ability system actually works fairly well, letting you swap skills and customization on the fly. D3 has some downsides though, some of which are fairly minor and metagamey while others are serious. It's got an internet connection requirement, but let's face it, it's not 1996 anymore. The lack of talent trees or stat placement some people may miss, but I found the trees bloated, and requirements for gear was kind of annoying. The itemization for gear is terrible. Fully half of the things you find have stats that are of no benefit to *anyone*. STR wand? Come on now. Furthermore this applies to legendary items as well; something that should be an awesome find is too often vendor trash. This ties in with the auction house, which I feel completely subverts the point of the game - 'play, loot, upgrade' is now 'shop, buy, upgrade'. So, I don't know. D2 was a great game, and D3 could easily be a worthy sequel with some work, but there are a lot of things going on that will probably make you stop playing after a week. Expand
  95. Oct 8, 2012
    After patches the gameplay is improving since release. Good graphics, great combat, entertaining physics, fairer Inferno difficulty, tweaked abilities for a broader range of viable character builds, and steadily improving loot and drop chance make the game a lot more fun than it was.
  96. Oct 7, 2012
    While its not a horrible game, its nowhere near the greatness that was Diablo 2. Its been turned into a money making masses game that caters to casual players and asks that people give blizzard even more money through the real money auction house. While its mildly interesting for a while, the people that enjoyed Diablo 2 for its depth and longevity will quickly realise how shallow andWhile its not a horrible game, its nowhere near the greatness that was Diablo 2. Its been turned into a money making masses game that caters to casual players and asks that people give blizzard even more money through the real money auction house. While its mildly interesting for a while, the people that enjoyed Diablo 2 for its depth and longevity will quickly realise how shallow and actually rushed the game was. As I write this the game STILL doesnt have PVP and the endgame is an utter joke and a horribly bad joke at that. The blizzard I used to respect didnt release a game until it was finished and after playing through the game til the end which doesnt take very long, you're kind of left scratching your head. Diablo 2 had rinse and repeat gameplay but for as many hours as I put into that game, I never leveled a character to 99 and even though I would leave the game for a while, a month later and the game was still fun to go back to. In diablo 3, I leveled my character to 60 in under a week and after hours of grinding without any new levels, they decide to finally add paragon levels which added about 4 more hours of gameplay for me personally. After I solo killed Diablo on Inferno, theres literally only grinding left. No PVP and just no fun. No fun quests to add sockets, to give skill points, anything like that.

If you havent played the Diablo series at all and are new to hack n slash games, I would say its not a bad purchase if you just want some mindless fun with friends for month or so. The game looks good and runs well. The game mechanics are easy enough to pick up and play without any problems, but honestly, this personal review is aimed at people that havent played the game yet and are curious about picking it up as the hardcore fans have all typically played and decided whether or not its worth another 100 hours. In the end, its not the sequel fans wanted or were waiting for in my opinion and Jay Wilson should probably take responsibility for letting down the true fans of the game. Also, while it does offer some fun, at this point I think there are better options such as Torchlight 2 which only drains your funds by 20$ for at least just as much fun.
  97. Oct 6, 2012
    A very bipolar game. The graphics, sound, art, and environments are incredible. The combat is fluid and great fun. But the soul of Diablo has been removed from D3, with its terrible loot system, horrible balance, and dumbing down of statistics. The Auction House severely damages the game since everything is balanced around it. The story is so terrible...it makes a mockery of belovedA very bipolar game. The graphics, sound, art, and environments are incredible. The combat is fluid and great fun. But the soul of Diablo has been removed from D3, with its terrible loot system, horrible balance, and dumbing down of statistics. The Auction House severely damages the game since everything is balanced around it. The story is so terrible...it makes a mockery of beloved characters. To sum up, D3 is a wild ride that ultimately disappoints. This is Diablo in name only. Play it for 30 hours then quit because it doesn't deserve more of your time. A sad state of affairs... Expand
  98. Oct 5, 2012
    I was pretty disappointed in this game. I played this game for many hours. The developers decided that they wanted to remove the fat from Diablo 2, instead they removed the fun elements that made that game a classic. By allowing you to respect your character on the fly they killed re-playability. Torchlight 2 follows the old Diablo 2 formula each character has three skill branches and yourI was pretty disappointed in this game. I played this game for many hours. The developers decided that they wanted to remove the fat from Diablo 2, instead they removed the fun elements that made that game a classic. By allowing you to respect your character on the fly they killed re-playability. Torchlight 2 follows the old Diablo 2 formula each character has three skill branches and your decisions are more permanent,this increases re-playability because even the same characters play very differently depending on the skills you chose. My advise to any reader is to play Torchlight 2 instead. Expand
  99. Oct 3, 2012
    People rating this way too low, sure it has it problems and what not, but it is not lower then a 6, I say that because it did have a high fun factor at the time, but once you got to inferno and you seen that the game was built around the AH and RMAH it hurt the game more then helped it, the always online thing hurts the game as well, the looting system is a bit broken, but other then thosePeople rating this way too low, sure it has it problems and what not, but it is not lower then a 6, I say that because it did have a high fun factor at the time, but once you got to inferno and you seen that the game was built around the AH and RMAH it hurt the game more then helped it, the always online thing hurts the game as well, the looting system is a bit broken, but other then those things the game does a decent job at staying true to the ARPG genre. Expand
  100. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly,This game is decent, nothing more; the artistic level is very low in some places around the acts, most of the skills that create the gameplay are cloned from other games such Defence Of The Ancients, it has NOTHING to do with the old game Diablo II Lord Of Destruction,and the choice of making it in the style of World Of Warcraft is strange, everything is like fake and cartoonish, not ugly, very beautiful, but there is no trace of the old dark pathos, the skirmishes most of the times are an incredible mass where the player can't understand what is going on and has just to click the mouse, like maybe the Diablo II Lord Of Destruction MOD called Median XL; other features are very similar to this mod, they have probably played it during the development, which took too many years for the final result. Few weeks after relase they found bugs to be corrected, gameplay things to be modified, immortality bugs to be removed; it wasn't a good product, but with the latest patches is more enjoyable. I bought it the day of the relase, with many friends, none of us is still playing it, because it quickly gets boring; we started Diablo II again in LAN, we enjoyed it much more probably. Expand
  101. Feb 13, 2013
    People love to HAte games, Diablo 3 is the natural successor of Diablo 2. The story is amazing, the game play improved a lot and patch after patch made awesome. Gameeplay changed from the intial one with the paragon levels introduction, soon other features will be released for free in this game that is simply amazing. As all the hack and slash games it can be ripetitive, but this is whatPeople love to HAte games, Diablo 3 is the natural successor of Diablo 2. The story is amazing, the game play improved a lot and patch after patch made awesome. Gameeplay changed from the intial one with the paragon levels introduction, soon other features will be released for free in this game that is simply amazing. As all the hack and slash games it can be ripetitive, but this is what an hack and slash is, a farming game, you will be required to farm your items or you will need to buy them from other players on the auction house. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012