3.9

1. Jul 25, 2012
    Can't say I'm surprised that Diablo 3 turned out to be such a failure. That's what happens when you put a douche like Jay Wilson as director of something as huge as Diablo. Nothing personal against the guy or his double-chin (couldn't resist, sorry), but instead of humbling himself before the previous games of this once reputable franchise, Jay Wilson openly discredit Diablo 2 and its mechanics, alleging that "it was not fun" and that he could make it much better. Kinda unethical talk trash about a product made by your own company I would say, but whatever. Because of his bias towards Diablo 2, most features that made that game entertaining were cut out and we, gamers, received a poorly and uninspired hack&slash loaded with a Auction House made for the sole purpose of filling Blizzard's pockets even more. Now, the game is ruined and there's no patch that could fix the damage. Expand
  2. Jul 25, 2012
    I can't in good conscience recommend this game to casual fans on the previous games. After Blizzard finally addressed the launch connectivity issues, I was eager to get playing. What awaited me was tedious combat, a shallow skill system, and boring loot drops. I spent countless hours playing around with Diablo II, experimenting with the various classes, enjoying the endlessly randomized dungeons. Diablo III has already bored me after 10 hours. I have no interest in trying out the other classes. The dungeons are tedious. The always online requirement is as insulting as the server lag it inspires. I used to think Blizzard could do no wrong, but this title sadly proved otherwise. No amount of updates will change the fundamental nature of the game. Expand
  3. Jul 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo 3. A game i had a lot of hopes for. When diablo 2 was still new and shiny, it was a MUST for me and many of my friend's, i remember before going to school at morning i stopped by a classmate...We played some cow runs and then went to school together, chatting all the way about how good the game is. Enough of that. I'll go trough some pointers about the game.

Story - Most important factor for me when choosing a singleplayer (This game does not have community and playing with friend's is not a benefit since you can only fit few of em)...Well story was bad, very bad...Not just a favorite "good" guy got turned into human like in B-Type Hollywood movie "You guys suck, i save humanity by going weak!" and other one died.

Gameplay & Difficulty - Gameplay was very nice for a while. After i hit lvl 60 i realized i was playing a very polished experience of "run trough everything". It was fun to get exp and unlock new stuff. After 60 rapidly everything is dumbed down. You don' get experience, you don't get new skills, no attributes and only way to progress you'r character is to get more items. I reached act 3 inferno. It was pretty challenging...It did not test my skills how i can time my spells or how can i ditch damage before an object hits me. It tested how good i can run and do few hits, then run even more...Do enough dmg in 5min's or start over.

Items & AH - Items...Legendary/Set item's has nice stats. Some of em has quite nice affixes...They are not very useful though...This game revolves around having very high dps weapon and as much of main stat you can muster. Then it's same old critical chance, critical damage and attack speed. So when you look for an item, you need same stat's you are having on you'r character right now, but with improved versions. Blizzard said that you don't need to go to ah/Rmah in order to progress...Well on my quest to find awesome items that will carry me trough inferno act 2...I farmed a lot and only found several good item's...For someone else. So natural progression...It's doable...If you'r butt can hold enough to farm same act for hours and hours...

My real review:

This game is made for people who like's to grind same thing over and over without having no benefit if possibility for some real money cash is not counted for. You'r character wont progress and character will never be a unique in ways it was in Diablo 2. Everything is set the second you create an character and there is no customization (You can ink you'r gear, unless you like legendary quality....). I highly recommend for a person who isn't looking a game that last's long. Play the game trough and forget the thing...You will be satisfied, as a person who was looking for a game to play long time....Well let's just say i was stupid enough to fall for the trick that Blizzard can make awesome sequel. Graphics are okay in my opinion, sadly it's 2012 when they could push harder for better quality. But it's known fact that blizzard sacrifices graphics quality in order to get more people into the games. I learned my lesson...I will not buy a another blizzard product unless i see all fact's about the game. This game was unplayable for some time and looking at it's future it wont be a game most of us hoped it would be.
  4. Jul 24, 2012
    This game is reasonably entertaining for the first 20 hours or so (time for a run through normal->hell)

but after that it has quite literally 0 end game except for farming gold and buying from ah. In addition the combat is frustrating and progression is even more frustrating. Yes this is an ARPG that uses the term progression to describe you going through content. This game is
    essentially a single player top down version of WoW, Sounds like your kind of thing? Good, but not what the majority wanted from the successor to the greatest ARPG of all time.

Gets a 0 for taking money under false pretense of this being a sequel to diablo.
  5. Jul 24, 2012
    Got to say, massive WoW and SWToR fan, love Mass Effect, Dark Souls, SkyRim etc, so massive RPG type fan.

This game is just click the left button at baddies, no skill required bug ridden game, GFX are dull, gameplay is so basic, it predates pong. Quite shocked how well rated by the real critics this game is.
  6. Jul 24, 2012
    Played for 350 hours, used $100 on RMAH. I can finally farm act 3/4 without many problems except for idiotic elite comps. However, I did not get a SINGLE loot which gives me an upgrade.

Done.
  7. Jul 24, 2012
    List of bad things about D3: Loot drops are horrible 99.8% of the time Game is forces you to repeat the same content over and over and over Auction house makes farming seems pointless Game forces you to re-watch cutsceneses and re-listen to dialogues over and over Game forces you to wear all resist No build diversity Random affix generation creates stupidly irritating combinations on elites
    Game is hacked
    Game is run by bots
    Economy is ruined
    Latency issues
    Game is full of scammers
    Co-op is pointless
    Forums will ban you for negative responses
    Blizzard has lost peoples transactions on RMAH
    No endgame goals. Nothing to strive for.
    Pay to win
    Story is boring
    Too difficult unless you spend real money
    Spam bots have hijacked the chat channels
    Blizzard is slow, and unprofessional keepin the community informed
    Technical errors, login problems, disconnects
    No way to reclaim lost or stolen items/$
    Bosses have worse drops than elites
    No skill points
    Skill UI no good
    AH UI no good
    No way to conveniently swap gear
    DRM - No offline play
    Broken gameplay mechanics
    No lasting appeal
    User feels empty and robbed at the end of the experience
    Jay Wilson
    Activision
    Greed
  8. Jul 24, 2012
    What can I say? DRM, 6 hours gameplay (easy at that) and no real feel to it like the previous two... Sorry, but this is the worst game Blizzard made in it's history (one of the worst I've played). I've played flash games on AG that are better and LONGER than this overpriced piece of 5h17. If you are a millonaire and don't know what to do with your money, don't spend it on this game, spend it on Blizzard so you make them stop the next time they even THINK about selling something like this again. Expand
  9. Jul 24, 2012
    Nos han vendido un proyecto de Beta. Lo de los últimos exploits descubiertos me parece hasta denunciable. El parche de reducción 50% vel. ataque, para aquellos que días antes hubieran gastado dinero real... grrr solo de pensarlo me entran ganas de tirar una bomba nuclear a Blizzard. COMO NO PUEDO HACER OTRA COSA APARTE DE VENDER MI CUENTA OS COMEIS UN PUTO 0 !!!!!
  10. Jul 24, 2012
    Simply put, AVOID this game. Don't be fooled by Blizzard's big name, they just plain failed with this game. The AH is an insult to this type of game, the crafting is a waste of time, drop rates are absurd and the likelihood that you get something for your class is abysmal. If I wanted to grind I'll play WoW, and the worse part of all this was Diablo was almost made into an MMORPG but then they changed that to the game we know and hate. In THAT game the AH would have worked fine, NOT in this game. And then with the Real Money AH, honestly WTF were they thinking, or what were they trying to accomplish here. All I see that was accomplished was tarnishing the good name the was Diablo. Blizzard is dead to me, Diablo is dead to me. 70 Hours played and nothing to show for it, thanks Bliz, and F&%K You. Expand
  11. Jul 24, 2012
    A leggere le riviste pare che sia un bellissimo gioco.. si, per chi non abbia mai giocato a Diablo in vita sua questo è un bel gioco ma comunque secondo me, rimene nettamente inferiore a un qualsiasi Dungeon Siege..

Nessuna crescita dei pg, solo un banalissimo sistema alla gods of war..
    Aste coi soldi veri O_O
    Storia piatta, un qualsiasi ragazzino l avrebbe scritta meglio.

Livelli di difficoltà STUDIATI ed ELABORATI per il PAY FOR WIN, vuoi andare avanti? Bene comprati i set altrimenti ti killano con 1 colpo.

Per concludere i 60
  12. Jul 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that deserves a solid ZERO. People might say "you're stupid if you're going to rate like that" and stuff, but Blizzard worked hard for this zero. Simply put, the game is the biggest money grab that ever existed. Unless you open your wallet and spend some dolla on the Real Money Auction House (in which Blizzard charges a 15% fee), the game is very unrewarding and, consequently, annoying. Furthermore, it's been 2 months since the release of the game and players still have to face unsolved bugs and gameplay issues that prevents the game from being fun. However, when something happens to the Auction House, Blizzard seems to take immediate action.
    So, the problem is not only the dumbed down skill system, the awful story, the cheesy dialogs, the 2006 graphics, the WoW-like gameplay, the horrible loot, the Auction House' centered economy, the lack of world randomization, the always online DRM, the server maintenance, no PvP, no end game, etc.: incompetence and neglect from Blizzard also play a big role in this failure called Diablo 3.
  13. Jul 23, 2012
    Game is fun for about 20-30hrs.
    Once you max character level the game becomes very shortsided. You stop having reason to grind except to get gold and buy SLIGHTLY better gear with SLIGHTLY better stats. Gear all looks the same and is a boring way to bring variables to statistics. Basically, it is a free game, but those who pay to play and buy gear/gold have the advantage...
    Of course you
    can grind it out and TRY to find decent gear.. but you'll find your self not farming for gear but for LARGE amounts of gold to buy 1 piece of gear... then rinse and repeat cycle. Graphics are good. Gameplay fundamentals are good. No replay value... nothing fun about it after the first 20-30hrs or when you max character.. Real money AH is a cool feature and you have the opportunity to make money. But its rare because most people don't buy gear for money, they buy GOLD for money, and then use the Gold to buy better gear on the AH. It's just a lame and vicious cycle that grows cold quickly. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BLIZZARD, Every game they have ever made I love. NOT THIS ONE THOUGH! REALLY BIG disappointment. Game flat out sucks after 20-30hrs. GG but try again Blizz. Expand
  14. MVP
    Jul 23, 2012
    As a die hard D2 fan I was extremely disappointed by this game. The lack of variability in attributes and skills makes each class homogeneous with its equivalent level (I remember beating people in PvP when they were 20+ levels higher - that was the fun!). You no longer drop you body when you die, so there is no real reason to worry about it. You don't really get to the "good stuff" until level 60+. The game is also too short, the areas are not particularly big and always the same. The side quests are boring and often make little or no sense. Levelling up makes enemies that were impossible suddenly extremely easy. To add insult to injury, the storyline is awful. The game no longer feels scary like D2, but cartoon-esque. The auction house also ruins the game by offering items better than you ever find.

This is such a shame for a game that could have been so great. Really really disappointed with it. The Diablo franchise is dead (thankfully the D2 servers are still up!).
  15. Jul 23, 2012
    The game play until normal to hell difficulty (in other words, up to level 60) is quite fast paced and fun. However, there are numerous problems you will face once step into Inferno. The difficulty leaps oblivion which causes many late comers to visit AH. Yes, you can FARM to play Inferno, but it will take eons of time due to the patch 1.0.3 itemization. So, once you hit the AH and get knocked out by horrendous price which caused by botters and pre 1.0.3 exploiters. So, yes, you will be ripped off by no-lifers and gold farmers. Ok, some people are patient enough to get these hardship through to face critical exploits(including the invulnerable Wizard) breaking the game play up from base. I do not care about graphics, storyline, sound effects if they are descent enough for current year. But, the game play mishap ruined everything to be scored zero. THIS GAME MUST HAVE BEEN RELEASED BETA LEVEL!!! Expand
  16. Jul 23, 2012
    This game isn't as great as the previous. The actual gameplay is OK, a standard dungeon-crawling, hack and slash system. However, Blizzard butchered the skill system, but that isn't a huge deal its still ok. The worst part is the constant internet required, which makes NO sense for a primarily single player game, there is no offline mode. This is weird because Starcraft II has offline mode against bots, and is primarily multiplayer. ALSO, the real money auction house basically throws the whole inferno grinding in the drain, whoever pays the most money wins at this. The story is also trash. Expand
  17. Jul 23, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the fan boys and critic reviews. Diablo 3 is a monetized scheme to get players to spend real money (Real Money Auction House) for virtual gear. Admittedly the game is quite fun from levels 1-59, but each difficulty level is an exact repeat of the previous level except that the mobs hit for more damage and are more difficult to kill. However, the endgame is nothing but a gold grind to buy the necessary gear for completion of Inferno level. Another MAJOR issue with D3 is account hacks. Only a fool would spend real money on a virtual item just to have it ripped off. Finally, players are forced to use servers, there is not a client based platform. So when D3 servers are down you cant play. Expand
  18. Jul 23, 2012
    Okay, this game is just AWFUL. And this is coming from someone who spent over 100 hours on it and beat the game on Inferno with my Wizard so I've given the game more than its fair chance. The first couple of times of beating the game are very fun, especially with friends, I will hand it to Blizzard. The art is nice, the music is not bad, and the environments are somewhat interesting. Then you reach the brick wall that is known as Inferno (the hardest difficulty) and you realize what Blizzard has been planning all along.

The mobs in Inferno suddenly become godlike and all your gear becomes instantly obsolete. Elites and even regular mobs will kick your ass unless you upgrade your very quickly. To make matters worse the game PUNISHES YOU for playing co-op on Inferno, the already disgustingly difficult mobs become near godly and unless you and your friends are supremely geared it's going to be an excruciating exercise in futility. Problem is that 95% of the loot you get in Inferno is literally garbage, so bad that even the NPC vendors will be reluctant to accept them. Magic find increases the chances of getting yellow items, but chances are they are still crap. There are far too many possible attributes during item rolls, so as a result you will almost always get items which make no sense whatsoever (example: Wizard hat with Strength, or Barbarian sword with Intelligence, etc.) and weapons in Act 4 of Inferno with 200 DPS. It's infuriating. It is so bad that when I killed Diablo on Inferno he dropped only blues, and not just any blues but TERRIBLE blues, stuff so bad you wouldn't even use it on Hell difficulty.

So you're thinking to yourself, WHY WHY WHY would they do this?! Why make the mobs so difficult and the gear so bad?!?!

WELL LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE REACH THE GOAL OF BLIZZARD'S GAME DESIGN IN DIABLO 3: THE REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE!!!

As stated Inferno is so ridiculously difficult and the loot generally so bad that the ONLY WAY to progress is to use the Auction House. I only managed to beat the game by bidding low gold on items and shopping intelligently, but it took wayyyy longer than it should have. Not only this, I was BASICALLY FORCED TO USE THE AUCTION HOUSE TO BEAT THE GAME. Trust me this isn't just unique to me because I suck, 90% of my friends gave up at Inferno Act 1, those that stayed have had no choice but to use the Auction House as well. The game isn't skill dependent, it is only gear based.

PROBLEM IS that the gold prices of items have flown through the roof due to inflation, botters, and exploiters. So expect to see any half decent weapon for at least 10 million gold, which is no small amount of money. So a lot of people have resorted to using the Real Money Auction House and it's absolute chaos. I've seen people spending over $500 (yes real cash) on a SINGLE ITEM, a virtual item folks that will probably be obsolete in the next patch or expansion. I personally don't believe in spending real money on video game items (especially absurd amounts like stated above) but to each his own. -----

So I really can't help but feel like the entire game was designed to revolve around the Real Money Auction House. The difficulty is absurd at inferno, many of the bosses are basically gear-checks (can only be beaten with certain amounts of DPS) and the loot is so bad that you have no choice but to use the Auction House.

This game is a money grab, it's pay to win, and I'm not sticking around for when they implement Player vs. Player where it's going to be the battle of the credit cards.

I will admit that I got more than my money's worth and it was fun at times, but this franchise has been ruined and this is by FAR the worst Blizzard game I have ever played. I will not remember this fondly like I do Diablo 2 or the Starcraft Series.

SHAME ON YOU BLIZZARD, THIS GAME IS A SCAM

19. Jul 23, 2012
    I hate being negative but sometimes a man´s gotta do what a man´s gotta do. This game sucked big time. There are of course a lot of arguments that can be used and I´m sure my fellow critics have done so already so I´ll keep mine short and explain the thing that bothered me the most. But first of, the positive things.

I like the artwork and the story isnt half
    bad. I didn´t care all that much about the story because western RPG always suck compared to eastern (japanese) RPG:s. To complain about the story is thus a waste of time.

But I have witnessed the ultimate sellout of fans by a company with this game. Vivendi/Activision/Blizzard have lost all track of what made Blizzard such a successful company in the first place. Their hardcore fans, the gamers. With the release of this game, they spat on the face of every gamer out there. They made us buy a game that first of was incomplete, secondly it was unbeatable by default.

Who in their right minds releases a single player game in which a single player cannot finish the game?

Apparently Blizzard does.

This game is impossible to beat on inferno level (which is the endgame) without having to use the auction house. Keep in mind, this is a single player game. Why do I even have to use the Auction House?

For one reason, RMAH (Real Money Auction House).

It´s a great idea for the company, make players buy and sell gear whilst Blizzard makes cash without actually having to work. But for the players this means that the best gear will always sell for cash and that the ingame gold AH (Auction House) gets depleted of the best items.

RMAH is however acceptable even though it´s tacky as hell. If they wanna be greedy, sure go right ahead.

But in this case Blizzard has made the game so hard on inferno level that the usage of the AH was impossible to avoid. If AH is unavoidable then RMAH automatically becomes the next step.

But, don´t you get drops in the game?

Well of course you do, nothing usable but of course you do.

The loot system is innovative, the first game I have ever encountered where the highest item level (ilvl) on drops doesn´t mean that youre getting the best gear. I have gotten alot of the ilvl 63 which is the highest possible and yet I have nothing to show for it. My best gear is actually an ilvl 61 (it´s the best drop I have gotten and it beats my ilvl 63 bought gear), this after 250 hours of gameplay. "Then why do you even have item levels Blizz?", should be the first question they should answer.

Diablo 3 is the biggest pyramid scheme since the pyramids themselves:p and for this Blizzard should take a timeout in the corner and reflect on their shameful behaviour. Standing next to them should be the corrupt media that has given this game a good reviews. Shame on you, the free press, bought and paid for by lazy and greedy developers. I´m still giving this game 3/10 because of the artwork and the 250 hours of gameplay it gave me. But this was the last time Vivendi/Activision/Blizzard get´s a dime from me and I used to be a big fan.
  20. Jul 23, 2012
    I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game, and it's fun. The biggest problem it's got going for it is the 12 years between Diablo II and III. In that time, we've seen copycats "do" Diablo over and over and over and over, with varying levels of success. What made Diablo I so amazing was that it was really a new, frenetic style of playing an RPG game. Kind of a "ramped up" Roguelike game that was instantly addictive. Ridiculously addictive. Diablo II carried the torch a few years later and raised the bar significantly. All the fun of the first, plus tons of new innovations. Diablo III doesn't add or subtract much from Diablo II, and that's pretty disappointing given the 12 years in-between. If anything, Diablo III has indeed carried on the HORRIBLE pit of hell gamer-makers have fallen into of "dumbing down" their games and making it accessible to the least-common denominator. They don't understand, I guess, that hardcore gamers are the fan base, and that what the hardcores say translates well into the general public. In other words, a series like the Elder Scrolls caught on and became hugely popular almost strictly because hardcore gamers went on and on about how great it was. Instead of appealing to the hardcores and making games more intricate and more complex, with more features, and more moving parts, they seem to strip away and streamline and make console-friendly, and yada yada yada. Diablo III is a prey to this mentality as well, and the aggravation is reflected with such low (too low, absolutely too low) scores.

In the end, what Diablo III is is a continuation of a legendary series of games. Unlike the first two, III doesn't really raise any bars or add any innovations that we will now see replicated in dozens of copycats, and that's too bad. Instead of opting for trend-setting, Diablo III plays it relatively safe and stands as a solid, fun, addictive, nice-looking, stable game, a decent addition to the series, but nothing terribly mindblowing. I tired of it after about 2 weeks, and I can absolutely not say that about the first two Diablos. The difference? Having stripped all of the customization out of the game (attributes, skills, etc.), I never really felt all that connected to my characters, which have a definite "pre-made" feel to them. The hallmark of any role playing game is the role playing part of it. This is action and it's clearly designed more for the unwashed masses than the hardcore gamers.
  21. Jul 23, 2012
    This could've been a masterpiece,but sadly, it's only very good. There's always hope Blizzard will polish it further, until it reaches the level of it's prequel.
  22. Jul 22, 2012
    After played for 200hr (lv 60 wizard and monk, stopped at inferno A3), I realized this is a bad game. Why does it take that long for me to know that? Because I kept telling myself, "Blizzard does not make bad games, there are something better later in the game." I was going to write a long review as to why I think it is a bad game. Then, I just simply don't care about anymore. I left this review for anyone who has not bought the game yet. DON'T DO IT. It is not 200hr of fun, it is 200hr thinking "it will get better later." I feel really bad getting all my friends playing D3 since all of them quite already. So if I can just save one person from buying this awful game, I will feel much better. Expand
  23. Jul 22, 2012
    the people that down-rate this game do so for personal vindictive reasons, the game itself is fantastic, after well over 150 hours of play time so far i can honestly say it is a well made game, the art style while different from previous installments Fits the game, the skill systems make for an ever changing environment and while the story is short, it completes what diablo 2 left off, the complaints of others are really just pointless raging. The game should NOT be rated poorly for its launch day problems, they where not the worst thing to happen with gaming. Expand
  24. Jul 22, 2012
    I am struggling to understand all the negativity regarding Diablo 3. The story is far more pressing and fleshed out than either of the first two games. The graphics are far better than people are giving credit for - as for it looking like a WoW clone, I don't even know what to say, the setting can be both bright as well as violent and disturbing. The new "skill unlock" system is fantastic - you can finally play the game how *you* want to play it. No two builds will be the same. Look up ANY Diablo 2 build and if you don't see the words "put as many points into strength as needed for equipment, enough in dex for max block and dump the rest in vit" then I'll stand utterly corrected.

The only negative point I can give is the always online system, while i'll never agree with it, it hasn't affected my personal enjoyment of the game. If I lived somewhere with a less stable ISP, then maybe my tune would change a bit, but as it is - can't fault it.
  25. Jul 22, 2012
    I don't describe myself as someone who enjoys torturing himself, but after playing Diablo 3 for 150 hours I'm having second thoughts.

I pre-purchased the game and thankfully did not spring for the collectors edition, as this game is a monumental failure. When patch 1.03 was released, around 65% of players stopped playing the game, with good reason. There is nothing more I can add to
    the previous negative reviews, but to sum up what I think are the worst problems, consider the following:

1: The drops are terrible.
    2. The only point to picking up items, realistically, is to sell them for gold so that you can either (1) repair your gear that apparently evaporates over time and gets constantly obliterated by inferno elites that one shot your glass cannon character that the game apparently had in mind when it presented you with the option of a "glass cannon" skill, OR (2) buy items from the auction house so that you can HOPE to kill elite monsters so that you can HOPE that they will drop something worth owning (which is, unfortunately, wishful thinking). 3. There is no endgame.
    4. "Developer" Jay Wilson is almost as big a failure as the game itself. Nothing warms the heart of a customer more than hearing the company tell you that you are wrong and they are right. 5. It's just not fun. "Grinding" in D2 was fun, because you could just go into a cow level, PWN everything, do some meph runs, and trade items with people instead of Blizzard and its 15% fee. "Grinding" in D3 is a joke, because the elites in inferno are designed to one shot even the best-equipped characters. And the drops are awful. It is so easy to get sucked into a perpetual cycle of endless frustration... At least with "grinding" in D2 you didn't get one-shotted while wearing good gear. And if you did, you could at least kill some stuff before you died. People like killing things. 6. So many other better games out there for $60. Even for $40. Or $20. 7. Graphics and interface are...unexpectedly outdated. The graphics issue is self explanatory. . . but the chat interface is just bad. People are constantly chatting "private" messages into the general channel because it is so clumsy. The list really goes on and on, and on, and on. . . I was able to sell all of my gear before 1.03 and made some money on this game, but I absolutely do NOT recommend this to any of my friends. Don't even buy it to complete your "Blizzard" collection of games. This is an embarrassment.
  26. Jul 22, 2012
    I'll sum Diablo 3 up in a single word. Disappointing. After more than 10 years you'd think they'd be able to come up with something that doesn't feel like Diablo 2.5, if that. Game play is lackluster, graphics have lots of shiny features, story is boring. Don't get me started on the always on-line requirement.

Save your money, pick up a copy of Diablo 2, and have fun. This game isn't.
  27. Jul 22, 2012
    Ok I'm not even going to touch the abysmal dialogue or the bland characters or the storyline that's something out of Disney mixed with Power Rangers. This is a loot game, on with the gameplay.

Itemization sucks. It's very bland, nothing interesting. You're hunting for mainly 3 of the same stats for all your gear slots in order to be successful. If an item doesn't have one, most of the
    time it's complete garbage. The odds of an item rolling said 3 stats along with good value rolls on those stats are infuriating.

The difficulty is okay for Normal->Hell. Pretty easy. But the best stuff drops in Inferno, the gear-check difficulty. And if you don't have the gear with those 3 stats in all your slots you will get slaughtered. And chances are you won't have the gear. This is where the fun with the AH starts. You start buying gear for stats in order to progress, and that's where it stops being fun.

Inferno is not a challenge for the sake of challenge, it's a progression difficulty - a means to an end with cheap MMO mechanics built in like enrage timers and rez timers to make you either pull your hair out grinding earlier difficulties or use the AH. On that note, the loot that drops is not quality loot most of the time because of the sole existence of the AH.

Basically, it's a chore. A second job with no real rewards. You're grinding for uninteresting loot for that marginal .5% mitigation and 1% dps increase in order to progress to a later act. Once you do that, you face another brick wall. Gear doesn't enforce build diversity, and the cheap mechanics of "difficulty" shoehorn you into a certain build, narrowing build diversity even further.

Diablo 3 is not the wors game I've ever played. Diablo 3 is the worst letdown of a game from such a trusted company like Blizzard Entertainment. And I thought FFXIII was a letdown.
  28. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything has been said already. This is not a Diablo game. It is a playstation game with cutscenes, long talking cartoony monsters, and no character growth. The gameplay is horrible when compared. If you liked D1 & D2: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will lose $60. P.S. DIablo is now a skinny alienlike creature who just talks to you while you fight regular monsters. Weakest ending ever. Expand
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    I write this having nearly finished normal mode. Most of the content is in later difficulties some tell me, and I would love to check it out before reviewing if I could. Sadly though, Blizzard banned my account for hacking/using bots. This is strange because, well I haven't. But because my account information was stolen and used simultaneously on the European server, I didn't even know! Oh and they ban me per say. all I have to do is re-buy their game. That is poor customer service. I just had 60 USD stolen from me because I was hacked. No company should treat loyal customers this way. The game was pretty good- not the best, it seemed a bit dated, but it was solid. But if they can bully and steal from the people who pay them to make games, there is no point anymore.

That is my warning guys. Somewhere between the real money auction house, the always online, and the blatantly exploitable servers, this game isn't worth the risk.
  30. Jul 22, 2012
    i just got ripped off 60 bucks from blizzard, they don't deserve my money for this type of game, never gonna buy another blizzard game... jesshh wish i can have my money back...
  31. Jul 22, 2012
    This is just such a bipolar game it is hard to review. One one hand, the gameplay is fun for awhile, the loot system is predictable, and the unlock system is nice. One the other hand, the sheer lack of customization makes you feel like your character isnt your own, but a clone of thousands others. It really left me, and others dissapointed from this game.
  32. Jul 22, 2012
    this is sad. I'm rly disappointed. Game is very short...and very weak. I dont know why blizzard cut half of content. On gamescone 2011 they show us great content i mean sockets, talismans etc.. and they cut all these things and give players damn beta for 60eu or 60 bucks... jesus christ. FIRST TIME Bli$$ard is a liar! D2 eat on breakfast D3 - and they make this game near 12 year?! this is sad.
  33. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a little over 60 hours into the game, and I will be the first one to tell you that while it is very good, there are a lot of things that just leave me scratching my head. The biggest problem is that the elite items you need to even be able to play in Inferno difficulty never drop. In the time I have played, I have yet to see a SINGLE legendary or set item drop. Part of me wonders if they've done that to try, and get people to spend money in the RMAH (if that's their plan it's worked on me). One of my favorite things about Diablo 2 is that you would be rewarded somewhat regularly by getting good items. I think that was why it was so addictive. This is more akin to playing a slot machine that won't pay out. The only legendary and set items I've been able to get my hands on were from the auction house. It's a very good looking game. Especially when comparing it to Diablo 2, it's obviously a vast improvement. It's not nearly as cartoony as WoW, but it just doesn't feel as evil as D2 or even D1. I'm pretty disappointed that the graphics don't support SLI. Maybe they will in a future patch, but I wish they would have spent less time making cinematics that everyone will watch a exactly once and skip them going forward, and more time making the game run better. It can get choppy, and the framerate can slow to a crawl if there's too much going on at once (even with a new computer). I did a Witch Doctor, and while it's definitely fun to rain toads down on my enemies, there are a lot of flat out WORTHLESS skills that they put in there. Toad of Hugeness? Spider Queen? Snake to the Face? Comical skills at best, but they feel like filler material to me. Zombie dogs were useful until about halfway through nightmare when they started dying instantly. WD needs some serious buffs because right now, you can just about guarantee that every other elite monster is going to kill you about a dozen times in inferno (and probably break all your items). Speaking of magic enchanted monsters, I'm a little confused why they're so much more powerful that the unique ones you run into. I can kill monsters with purple names and act bosses easily enough, but the champion ones with 3-4 magical enchantments? Wait til you run into your first pack of, oh I don't know, vampiric, extra health, plagued, waller zombies. I can't believe there's people who play hardcore mode...

Despite my gripes though, it's still a good game. Though I'm not sure if I'm playing it because I truly love it, or if I'm playing it trying to relive my Diablo 2 nostalgia. Time will tell. It's definitely more linear, and you really don't have that sense of community like you had in D2. I think that's because there's really no interface anymore for you to chat in outside games, or even pick the games you want to play in (currently if you join a public game, you pick what quest you want to play, and it puts you in a random game with other people on that same quest). Hopefully Blizzard will be diligent about making meaningful improvements to the game. I've been playing the Diablo series since the last 90's, and would hate to see it end like this. At the end of the day it's a fun hack and slash game, but it doesn't feel as much like a Diablo game as it should.
  34. Jul 21, 2012
    After waiting over a decade for this game I could not of been more disappointed. The story is short, the grinding is long, viable builds are nerfed as quickly as people find them, you have to buy your high level gear in the Real Money Auction House, and gold/item farmers run the Auction Houses. It's a money grab by blizzard, and just a travesty of a game.
  35. Jul 21, 2012
    Wow... there isnt much more I can say about this game that hasnt already been said. So I will talk about the company that allows you to play it. I have been on the Diablo 3 forums from day 1 reading and commenting on constructive criticism because I really wanted the game to be successful. The reason the forums exist is so players can discuss game topics and the state of the game in general. Even when I requested a refund from blizzard they asked me to comment on the reasons I was leaving in their forums.

Well... I have been banned from the forums twice now for what they claim to be "Trolling".

What I did was post inside treads that offered constructive, and well worded feedback, and criticism. Most of these posts even without ToS violations get censored and deleted. It doesnt really matter what you say on thier forums, as long as its not something they agree with.. they simply remove it.

I made a very good post the other day about the difference between F2P and P2P, and based on the fact that Diablo 3's business model is to make residual income from its MicroTransaction using the RMAH, I said that Diablo 3 should convert to F2P to get the majority of the players back.

There was a lot of comments some negative and some very constructive that brought up many good points.

This is what blizzard considers trolling. I did not slander blizzard, I did not say their game sucks, I did not make any negitive comments about the game. I simply showed two arguments on how it should be F2P instead of P2P, and got banned for it.

This company is going down hill, and fast. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how things are going for not only their parent company but blizzard itself.

So to sum it all up:

Diablo is indeed a very bad game. If you need reasons.. just visit any site that provides user feedback.

Blizzard is a bad company and ppl should not buy games or any products from them. It just allows them to keep doing what they are doing. They will ask you for your opinions and then they will censer you, and then they will ban you for them. This company does not like free thinking ppl, and this is even more obvious if you look at how they totally dumped down the game because they think all you consumers are morons.

Just ask Jay Wilson.
  36. Jul 21, 2012
    avarage story and avarage graphics. A way too brief game for it's price. It's not even worth half the money. I mean, i won this so quickly, it felt like a joke to play it. I personally do not recommend the game to anybody, unless you can get it for free. I said to my friend, don't buy this, he tried mine through normal and he couldn't agree more. Blizzard needs to freshen up a bit. It's getting old. Expand
  37. Jul 21, 2012
    The game doesn't reward you at all. You have to play like 50 hours just to get a decent item you can sell for 20$. This is below the minimum wage in China. Blizzard want to turn their player base into a slave labor, so they can make out like a bandit. This game is work, it's not a game it's work.
  38. Jul 21, 2012
    Very disappointed by the game. I bought it being sure it will be great as Diablo2 but after a while I found that game is too short, requires constant internet connection even in single player game which a game breaker for hardcore mode, and too casual in character builds. On a positive side the graphics and world details are very good. Combat dynamic is good too.
  39. Jul 21, 2012
    Gigantic let down of recent years. All anyone can stipulate is that under a different name it would have not been such a let down. It would have been seen as what it is then, an auction house rpg economic simulator (with war torn Europe as a base line for it's current currency stability, awful to say the least, LOL), but as a supposed successor to Diablo 2 it fails on ALL accounts and expectations possible. after almost a decade they crap out this excuse for a game. I even have the exact same problem with the game's launcher that I had in beta, 3 months after its release and had reported back in beta then, that they never even fixed! I personally managed to figured out a complex specific routine of killing the agent.exe process in task manager at certain visual queues of the launchers inane progression. (which is anywhere from stuck at 0% loading or 100%, both with the play button grayed out, and or sometimes flat out showing an error box with absolutely nothing helpful as to what may be the problem, forcing me to relaunch 1 second later and have no error like what usually occurs) A fair minority have had this problem and posted on the forum about it, but still nothing. In the error it says contact customer support... Let me tell you about customer support, they can't help you with the most prevalent problems like you losing items on the auction house, especially right after a patch, which happened to me, thankfully only on trash I was trying to peddle on the AH. Support cited having "no logs" for verifying whether or not I actually received the items even though one of them was a weapon I bought out and re-uped to get a profit, which appeared on the log that I CAN SEE. (which is flipping, learning a specific gear market, buying out gear you know for a fact could sell for higher, and then hopefully selling it for more than what it cost to buy it. Which is exactly why this game is an auction house simulator because you need to do things like that if you hope to get ahead an--- OH WAIT, gold just devalued a couple more million over night due to botters, nevermind that, we're never going to afford that gear for act 3-4 inferno now without using real money auction house, which is another reason things are as bad as they are in this game, ActiBlizz's greed and stupidity.
    Stupidity because they could actually make WAY more money by actually making the game fun and work instead of REQUIRING THE AUCTION HOUSE FOR EVERYTHING. Oh right, did i forget to mention you will never see a drop of gear that you actually want or need? Legendaries are all USELESS. (supposed to be their answer for uniques from diablo 2) I had 3 legendaries drop in over about 300+ hours played, a recipe for a useless level 50 legendary crossbow called starburster or w/e, which I have no idea how people hope to use to draw a profit (with its typical, high resource cost to craft) OR use on their character for more than 2 levels until already seeing better gear. (on auction house) Somehow it sold for a meager 450k at the time, probably all suckers who actually think they know what their doing with their time or money, pro tip: they don't and I BET they all quit the game soon after realizing their loss and was the final nail in the nail filled coffin for this despicable excuse for a diablo game. ActiBlizz strikes again with another mediocre game that takes so much from its cash crop game WoW. IF, IF... IF, they hadn't lost ALL, ALL, ALL of their ORGINAL DIABLO DEVELOPMENT TEAM... THEN, they may have had their priorities set. Instead, they throw money at vain safe devs

* Players need progression, skill progression, experience level progression, and gear progression all combine to make the player feel the character is theirs and theirs alone. By the end game, my character should feel completely different than another character of the same class.

* Smooth out the difficulty. The only reason inferno is so tough, is because is was implemented as an afterthought. Gear checking between acts, is painful, even for the biggest D2 geek.

* Here's one that I really can't understand, make each difficulty level, a little different - Open up new areas, add new monsters, add unique events, add people to the towns. There is no difference in the world of Diablo between difficulties, every run through is exactly the same, except the monsters get tougher. * The legendaries (uniques) are a real head scratcher. There are two possibilities here. Either legendaries didn't have enough time to be implemented, or someone actually thought it would be a good idea to make them completely unusable. In either case, this really scares me.

* The Story - Just terrible, with such cheesy voice acting and dialogue. Possibly the most shocking part for me. There are no characters I feel any connection to. I have zero reason to hate, or want to destroy the bosses. Plus they're mostly remakes of old bosses, brought back for absolutely no reason.
  40. Jul 21, 2012
    I have played for about 150 hours and while my desire to play now dwindles I got 150 hours of joy for 60 bucks. That is a darn good rate for entertainment in my mind.. I personally think much hate is overrated and while the game is not perfect to me it is fun and I want fun.
  41. Jul 20, 2012
    I have fun playing D3. I wish the story line was a lot longer though. The world feels a bit small and linear. The classes I've played are fun and the classes I've watched look fun. Normal is so easy I wish you could skip it. I like the skill system in general, its obvious that some options are better than others but you can always mess around (at least at easier difficulties) I'm not concern that you have to be online to play all the time. I really don't get the fuss. Anyway, have fun playing but its not likely you'll be blown away. Expand
  42. Jul 20, 2012
    Thankfully I was able to avoid this mistake of a purchase by getting into an early continuous beta. I was fully expecting to buy and play the game (I have owned and played rigorously every Blizzard game since D1). Once I got my beta the servers were capped for 3 weeks and I could not get on. No big deal, its beta. When I was finally able to play the gameplay and graphics were overly simplistic and disappointing. It was painstakingly clear that this is Activisions game and not a traditional blizzard game when serious neglect in details and awful gameplay decisions were made in favour of money (game being designed around the RMAH). Expand
  43. Jul 20, 2012
    Diabl-WoW 3 : When a great game becomes a great chore. Grind grind grind. Well, grind again! Faster, you need money to buy stuff and you can sell stuff to make money. Money, money,money, bots, everywhere! Oh wait, where the fun again? Fun? What are you talking about, this is not a game this is a business. Forget about deep character devellopement and stiry, no time for that! Grind grind grind festival baby. Ah well, might just go back to D2 for some good fun. Waited all these years for that. What a shame. Randomized dungeons? Are you kidding me!? Not even close to D2. I played about 30 hours, Ive had some fun but not much. Time to go back to Indie Games. Big companies dont get it anymore, its all about money. Expand
  44. Jul 20, 2012
    A long-time Diablo fan, I am very disappointed by D3. I was expecting a game that would keep me interested and playing for a long time, but instead, I hit max level on several characters, and the only way to progress through Inferno is to purchase items from the Auction Houses. I like to farm, and was looking forward to farming and upgrading my characters when I max leveled them, but it turns out that this game is not the Diablo I once knew. This is supposed to be a gear farming game, and for many people (myself included, and I have over 200+ hours in the game) post patch 1.03, getting your own upgrades to drop is almost impossible. I'm stuck in Act II Inferno, and being a hardcore gamer, I want to progress, but can't because I didn't have the game prior to the patch that nerfed the quality of the gear dropping. Upgrades in the gold AH are too expensive for me to afford, and I refuse to spend real money in the RMAH, so I'm stuck farming and never getting anything of value, and never progressing. Not fun at all. Now I login every couple days to check the gold AH, but don't really play anymore. Until drops are fixed so that people can actually get their own upgrades without having to use the AHs, this game is broken. Other issues include: always online makes hardcore frustrating (I won't play HC because I don't want to rubberband to my death), multiplayer is limited to four players (and you get punished for playing with friends as they take a cut of your magic find), builds are cookie-cutter or you won't survive in Inferno, almost every class has to kite monsters to survive in Inferno (the exception at the moment being a WW barb, but even they must kite at times, and given Blizzard's track record, expect this build to be nerfed), Blizzard customer service is horribly inattentive and they seem out of touch with their player base, patch 1.03 was a horrible disaster, and the CEO has promised us we'll get more of the same in 1.04.

My hopes for this game are all but dried up. If you loved earlier Diablo games, you probably will suffer the same disappointment I have. Avoid for now, but don't hold your breath that anything will get better. It's looking like this might be the beginning of the end of great games from Blizzard.
  45. Jul 19, 2012
    After 150 hours, i can say it's an excellent game. I really don't understand people with a low score: ok the expectations were very high, and the game is not perfect..but it is a very very good game !
  46. Jul 19, 2012
    I gave D1 and D2 high scores on another site, but this game is hands down the worst Diablo I've played, don't let some of the decent reviews fool ya, if you played D1 or D2 you're gonna most likely hate this game, if you haven't played either you might enjoy it. I am seriously at a lose for words on this game that is how disappointed I am with it.
  47. Jul 19, 2012
    This Game ist Very Bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  48. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a huge fan of the Diablo series (was 1 of my favorites) & logged countless hours playing the 1st 2 Diablo games. D3, however, is a terrible game in almost every imaginable way. Here's why not to buy D3:

1)Maps: essentially not randomly generated (as they have been in past games). Most areas are static (e.g. the overworld), & some are 'randomly generated' & have 2-4 possible layouts - these areas could be more accurately described as 'randomly chosen' from predetermined layouts. This is a big change from the infinite map layouts previous Diablo games could have.

2)No open world exploration/free play option. In addition to no random maps, gameplay is locked into quest progression. In D2, a player could start a game in any act & travel anywhere in that act or any other act. In D3 a player chooses a quest & creates a game based on that quest, having progressed through the act as if you were still on that quest. If you already killed a boss in the act, they remain dead. To travel to another act, the player must exit the game & create a new 1 by selecting a different quest.

3)The game is linear/mechanical/repetitive. Diablo games have previously been designed to be played for years after release (D2 online community is still sizable ). D3's lack of random maps quickly leads to areas becoming tedious/boring as they are so repetitive. Worse yet, quest objectives are shown as blinking dots on the minimap (as if you couldn't remember your way around after playing identical areas many times over) so you never have to think about what the objective is or which direction you should be heading. For the most part, all RPG elements have been removed from the series (which is supposed to be an action RPG).

4)Auction house: Many people argue it has ruined the game's economy, or that it promotes a pay-to-win playstyle. It is also the main way to trade in-game items & the UI is so terrible that it takes a very long time to do so.

5)Nephalem Valor: forces people to stick with a build for a long time or be punished - being forced to choose between more loot/rewards or more freedom/fun (i.e. being rewarded for having less fun - a game should promote fun). 6)Significantly increased item repair costs strongly discourage people from attempting difficult content which makes the game boring/monotonous. The repair costs don't affect people who already have lots of good gear & are farming acts 3/4 & punish people who don't have much gold & are just starting to gear up.

7)Elite mobs: designed to be what players farm for end-game items. These mobs have the same 25 randomly chosen abilities (up to 4 different affixes each encounter) across all 4 acts. For the most part every fight is similar/easy & it feels like you are running all over all 4 acts just so to engage in the same boss fight over & over again - there is little diversity between acts.

8)Story: absolutely terrible.

9)No end game content - nothing to keep players interested/playing for years to come.

10)Itemization/characterization: boring - classes are not unique/use the exact same items. Item affixes have been simplified/dumbed down. Affixes such as fire, lightning, holy, etc. damage no longer has secondary effects such as crits adding DoT, stunning targets, dealing extra damage to undead - they are instead completely cosmetic.

11)The game has a very cheesy/cartoony/family friendly art style (not referring to content) & has abandoned the more mature look of its predecessors. D3's artistic direction does not really allow for interesting/scary/whatever models of demons. 1 of the better models, Azmodan, was still less scary than Ursula from The Little Mermaid. Blizz said they think the game has a timeless, stylized, aesthetic (like they say about WoW.. but it's not suited to D3).

13)This game borrowed too much from WoW rather than from previous Diablo games.

12)No open world PvP. Diablo I & II had fun open world PvP. D3 will feature only arena PvP (whenever Blizz decides to finally add PvP).

14)The game looks, feels, & plays like a game from around 2005 - it's dated.

15)The game just generally feels rushed/incomplete (& in many ways is incomplete, e.g. no PvP at launch & no date set for when it will be implemented).

If you're not a fan of the Diablo series/looking to waste 20 hours or so - this game should keep you adequately entertained for that long. If you played Diablo I/II & are looking for another game to spend countless hours playing over many years, this is definitely not your game. D3 does not seem broken beyond repair, but I'm not sure Blizz is prepared to put in the necessary work. Some issues (e.g. map randomization) would be far too difficult to change at this point - developers have specifically said they will not be correcting this. Recommendation: check out D3 after it has seen a year or 2 of patching - it may be in a good state by then.
  49. Jul 19, 2012
    It started off ok. Ok ish graphics, quite fun. Like the old one but modern. Then it started to go wrong. It is such a short game. REALLY short. SO I completed it, then the next level, then the next level. SO far I played the game through three times. And my reward is to play an ultra hard level. But it's so hard you need awesome equipment that you can only get by grinding. The game is a mega grindathon. And lets be honest, grinding is boring. You need better gear, so you grind to get it to allow you to grind faster which allows you to get a better item so you grinding further improves. There really isn't a place for a short game with no end in the world. We don't need it. I finally turned it off and went back to WoW. Expand
  50. Jul 19, 2012
    They totally destroyed the diablo franchise!! I was so hyped and really gave it a go... Was waiting for patches to fix the game, but it only got worse.. Especially when RMAH was introduced- pay to win.. No way!! My friend list was booming with people playing the first weeks, now nobody out of the about 20-25 ppl play it! Stop making games so kid friendly! Wish I could give you lower than a 0!
  51. Jul 19, 2012
    I have completed Diablo 3, it took me 16 hours, the game was fun from start to finish. The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is that it is very easy to complete and it has no end game content. Once I complete a game I typically do not replay it unless it has been many years and the story was exceptional. So I have a character that is level 30 and I'm done. There seems to be 30 more levels and an auction house but I'm not sure what the point of those are since I have completed the game. Although what I experianced of D3 was fun and entertaining it was surprisingly short and lacking in end game content. I was expecting more from Blizzard, I don't imagine it would have been to hard to create 10-15 end game maps where players could spend sometime fighting a few new bosses to finish the level cap. The games seems like it was rushed to market. Game play is simple and old school... all you are getting are the cut scenes that continue the Diablo story. Expand
  52. Jul 19, 2012
    I just decided to stop playing this game, after 70 hours of playing - and only for this there is 1, not 0. Story is too short, you finish normal difficulty level after few hours and then you have to repeat same things for next hours. Yeah, it's quite fun, but after reaching Inferno whole fun dissapears. Game begins to be only about farming and looting cracked items - to loot a good rare is to win a national lottery. Bosses are to annoying - not hard, just overpowered and annyoing - and defeating them is totally lack of fun, because there simple are no prize for it. More of that, you must spend your own money to repair your gear. Cmon, I should be payed for winning fight, not be forced to pay myself! Game is crashed on mechanic design level and therefore is not worth buying. Expand
  53. Jul 18, 2012
    I've given this game a good month to review since purchasing it. Back then it had all the normal launch date problems so I excused it and was looking forward to an awesome new installment to the Diablo series.
    The combat is simple, always good in a hack n slash game. Not in the "easy to learn, difficult to master" way that perfect games achieve, but it does its job. People have spoken
    ill of graphics but I pretty much liked the style they went for. I can run it on a multitude of systems, laptops and desktops included. The nail in the coffin for this otherwise fun game is the forced single player online requirement put in by Blizzard that is yet another example of a developer trying to curb pirates by shooting their customer's feet several times. I have yet to play a 30+ minute session without the connection dropping or losing connection with the Blizzard servers. I rarely play with friends, so this is especially off putting.
    I would say Fable is not quite as good as Diablo 3, but it's just as much if not more fun and the developer/publisher of the game isn't outright hostile to those of us who paid for the game precisely so we wouldn't have to put up with garbage user experience such as this.
    I'm never buying another Blizzard game ever. Ever. There is no excuse for Diablo 3 and there's no way I'm ever going to support publishers that do this to us.
  54. Jul 18, 2012
    D3 was certainly not what I expected. The game has become to focused around the Auction House, which unfortunately seems to be the primary focus around the Blizzard updates. Gameplay is meh at best, and after the first few playthroughs you may realize that it will not provide the sustained longevity that made D2 such a big hit. The graphics are decent, the interface is intuitive, but to me those are primarily aesthetic and don't necessarily make for a good game I was hoping that I would get a lot more play out of this game but unfortunately I've already moved on. Expand
  55. Jul 18, 2012
    The newest Diablo is somewhat shallow and repetitive with the main focus being on collecting loot rather than progressing through a storyline or using the slightest hint of strategy beyond the odd kite or dodge mechanic. The randomly generated dungeons do little to add to the replay of the game as the short scripted events remain constant throughout all playthroughs and the obstacles or randomly generated mobs differ little throughout all four acts. The story itself is standard gaming fare. It doesn't try to redefine the genre and I don't really feel it has too. The classic good vs evil tone and predictable character turns are a staple for this genre and there's just something fun about the melodramatic tones throughout the story.

The difficulty level is a little low for those who just want to playthrough the story once and move on. When set to normal the game will only take a day to see from start to finish and while newbies may die from time to time you never really get to a point where anything seems impossible. Seasoned veterans of the genre will laugh as they make it to the end. The real difficulty actual comes from rare spawns on later difficulties who may leave you frustrated from to time as they seem to have the perfect combination for nullifying a particular classes strengths. So why is Diablo getting a seven from me? The game is polished and I personally enjoy the classic art style. As shallow as the game maybe, I also found myself inexplicably spending hours playing through the different difficulties while attempting to upgrade my character and keep up with my friends. I'd actually say the game warrants closer to a 6.5 but for the sake of bumping up the overall score that I feel is far too low for the effort put into the title I feel a 7 is more than fair compared to say a 6. Finally I feel the need to restate that everything about the game is done server side. This means the game requires a constant connection and uses quite a bit of data compared to other titles. I found the game actually used more data than WoW overall and this should be considered by all gamers who live in areas where bandwidth caps are a concern. It's not going to push you over your cap on its own but all know little things like this add up and a couple hundred mbs for a multiple hour sitting is a lot to swallow.
  56. Jul 18, 2012
    Taken by itself, out of the Diablo "universe" this game would still not be a "blockbuster." But it has/had big shoes to fill and it isn't filling them very well.
    From a very poorly constructed story-line to it's basic and simplistic character management, this game just isn't really all that fan after a few hours and has very little replay value to me. The loot drops generally aren't
    upgrades, and the fighting mechanics are pretty weak. Add to that Blizz's new business model to make a single player capable game still REQUIRE an internet connection, along with their not-so-quiet desire for the player to use the Real Money Auction House (an auction house where you buy equipment with real money, which Blizz gets a percentage every-time you buy or sell something off their. This game just feels like it's another money grab whose only success can be measured by how much they can make on a weekly or monthly basis. 1 million players at 60 bucks a game, is 60 million. Blizz says they sold over 5 million copies. That's over 300 million dollars. Yes that isn't enough; they want to nickel and dime the players too. Just a poor idea from a very very rich company.
    That said, it does have some redeeming qualities. It can be fun at times, for short periods of time. But the lasting appeal is really only going to be for those who sell things for real money, and those who are huge fans of Blizzard. If you played any of the previous versions of Diablo, however, buy at your own risk. Most of the "veteran" Diablo players are very unhappy - and understandably so.
  57. Jul 18, 2012
    This game is amazing. It is the best game ever that requires you to exploit, cheat and bot until it's fun. The inferno difficulty curve is punishing. All the good gear on the AH costs 50-100 mil per piece and the repair costs are astronomical. Blizzard could have had something great here, but given the current state of things... it is looking grim.
  58. Jul 18, 2012
    If you like Hack'n'Slay games you will have fun. As said before there picks up where it ends in Diablo 2 LoD. The Skill System is less individual than in Diablo 2. One of the great Problem is the long term motivation.
    Once i killed Diablo in Inferno-difficulty my motivation said goodbye and i didn't play it since then.
    But the Game itself is fun, the skillsystem is intuitive and easy to
    understand, i had 200+ hours of fun with friends or alone on the itemhunt. Another point i don't like is the auction house for obvious reasons. Expand
  59. Jul 17, 2012
    I have played 340 hours in total. The game is playable but just. The design is so far removed from Diablo 2 that it should not be called Diablo. Diablo 3 is better described as a mini-WOW arcade clone where no class is allowed to be truly unique and the player does not feel like a Hero. Remember how in Diablo 2 you'd Frozen Orb, Multishot, Knockback, Freeze, Whirlwind whole screens of demons? Well, not in Diablo 3. All class skills are on long cooldowns making all classes boring and uninteresting. There are no skills to distribute, no attributes to play with, no variety on gear, no reason to experiment at all. With no crowd control abilities, but with elite monsters now able to make you lose control of your character in many ways and for many seconds at a time, all builds become the same by necessity : very high resists, very high defense, very high life - in that order. It does not matter if you play a Wizard or a Barbarian, the fact that you will be regularly frozen standing on fire means you have to build and play like a melee class. In terms of class animations there are some very bad ones. We have a Monk invoking a large bell that drops from the sky. There is a Demon Hunter that shoots with what looks and sounds like a machine gun from CoD4. We have a Wizard who shoots red laser beams, and her best "free" skill is Spectral Blades - a melee attack. Atmosphere: one of the most pathetic I have seen in a game. You are supposed to be fighting the prime evils and their cohorts, but the prime evils keep talking to you, in plain English, with dialogue lines seemingly taken out of a "bully schoolmaster" script. Nothing more pathetic than to hear the Prime Evil demon saying "while you were trying to destroy my ballistas I was attacking the base of your keep". I was expecting to hear the demons roar, screech, yell incomprehensible things. Many players on the official forums feel betrayed for what Diablo 3 was promising to be and what it really is, and I am one of them. Expand
  60. Jul 17, 2012
    300 Hours played and 5000+ elite kills. My general review is below: Pros: Beautiful graphics Smooth combat/animations Excellent camera angle and "feel" Cons: +No replay value +Poor itemization +At a certain breakpoint due to useless mods and poor system design, you basically stop having any chance of upgrading +300+ hours of gameplay and 9 Legendary | 1 set item - all Worthless!
    +Poor tuning in Inferno - one shot mechanics and unimaginative scripted fights
    +Heavily WOW influenced
    +No realism in the context of a dark tense dungeon crawl
    +Crafting system is absolutely broke - no value in crafting items at max level
    +Poor if not criminal communication from Blizzard with its player base
    +DRM (always online) requirement
    +Your purchasing a license not a game
    +Real Money Auction House
    +Gold Auction House
    +No PVP

I could continue to go on but the game, beyond being successful at a gorgeous game environment, is a complete failure.

Sure - buy this game but if your a ARPG fan do not expect a game that is engaging and encourages replay value with its farm game and different classes. The skill system is weak and requires no intelligence. The farm system is boring and sad.

At best this game is a 3.0 and after playing Blizzard games for 13 years, I will no longer purchase any future Blizzard games. I've already sold the majority of my gear and will shortly be selling my bnet account as I refuse to play crap and then wait around for Blizzard to make effective changes that improve the game experience.
  61. Jul 17, 2012
    I think the current metascore of 88 on the game is not right, and totaly biased. I had some fun for the first 2-3 weeks of playing, having a good time with friends. THEN, it's when you arrive at inferno that something's not right. The drop rate is terrible, it's totally not made for casual gamers (even though they stated the game is made for elite and casual players). Consequence of the bad drop rates? We are forced to use Auction House, BUT, to use Auction House you need gold, and you have gold, you need to sell stuff to people OR farm 24/7 to get that one good item... In fact, you are forced to use Auction House if you don't want to waste a big part of your life... Then, even with the current bad state of the game, they released the REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE, what bull****. Now, if you're a casual player, and even some intense gamers, have to pay to get better gear since they don't want to waste their time farming all day long. The whole game is a nothing but a cheap way to get money. Also, Blizzard lacked on player support on that game. We asked them to ban/stop those hackers/bots since they were ruining the economy of the game. NOPE. They wait like 2 month before actually moving a finger, but it's too late, the economy is already ruined, and now we're at a point where 1 MILLION gold is only worth 25 cents - 2 dollars. In fact, that 1 MILLION takes a bit less than a week to get, if we're legit players, and only farm with full gold find gear. Selling valuable items, which we farmed for weeks, gives tons of gold, but that's the only way to do get gold for legit players now...

TL;DR: They missed the ball on that one. Terribad game. Don't waste 60$... If Torchlight II is about the same, or not as good as Diablo 3, at least it only costs 20 bucks. D3 is a bad repetitive game based around real money, and has bad player support as well.
  62. Jul 17, 2012
    Diablo 3 is one of the worst games I have ever played. It earns this recognition because it single handedly ruined the almost-mythical Diablo franchise and tarnished the great name of Blizzard. The story and dialog is written for kiddies and sounds like a dumb cartoon. The quest line is completely linear with no variation or choice. The loot drop quality is terrible, so you don't get the satisfaction of earning items you worked for. The game is built around funneling users to the auction houses, which Blizzard makes a profit from. This is a greedy and underhanded money grab from Blizzard/Activsion. For shame!

If this was a game with a different name, it would have received a 5 from me. But because this is DIablo 3 and made by Blizzard, the implementation and design choices come as a shock and is extremely disappointing. You've made me very sad Blizz and I will no longer faithfully buy your games without a second thought. And for that, you deserve a big fat ZERO and D3 deserves to be called on of the worst games of 2012.
  63. Jul 17, 2012
    Having enjoyed both D1 and D2 very much, I was excited for the release of D3. I think that Blizzard did a wonderful job bringing this franchise into the present by removing many of the tedious and dare I say, useless facets of the previous games. Removing the stat points from the game and making characters skill based was brilliant. And to top it off, if I want to change my character, I no longer have to start over and grind my way back to where I was. I simply change my skills and keep on slaughtering. Like D2 the game leans heavily on finding loot but has created a system where anyone can jump in and have a very satisfying session without the need to have some special set of armor or purchase items for real money just to compete. And the best part of all is the DRM! Yes I said it and thank the powers that be for making that decision. Good by hackers and dupers. I don't miss you one little bit. Sure you have to have an internet connection but in this day and age if you don't have an internet connection you have more to worry about than playing a game. Get real. Overall, very fun game that has met most of my expectations. I am only giving it an 8 because there is room for improvement (hint hint expansions). Expand
  64. Jul 17, 2012
    one of the most customer unfriendly games i ever bought. gameplay itself is OK, it is entertaining, but all the rest around the game is horrid: always on online DRM even for single player, and not helpful customer service. also the games still has a lot of safety issues (accounts cleared of gold, auction house troubles etc)
    best to stay away.
  65. Jul 17, 2012
    My overall experience of the Diablo hasn't changed since Diablo 1 till now. Item grinding is the main purpose of the game, always. I don't understand what everyone was expecting.
  66. Jul 17, 2012
    I could write a 10 page critique about how bad this game is and why it is aweful, but then you would just be reading the same points you have already read about 100 times from other peoples reviews. Its simple, look at the user score and then look at the critcs score, I have never seen such a huge discrepency in my life. Makes you wonder if Blizzard has paid off critics to give a score of 88!! (ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME). Please take in concideration that my review is coming from a person who played countless hours of diablo 1 and 2. Diablo 2 being probably the most addictive game i have ever played. This game would of been great 20 years ago competing against other nintendo games like Dragon Warrior. Expand
  67. Jul 17, 2012
    I've played all Blizzard games since Lost Vikings and I must say this is their first major failure. What they are selling looks like developer preview that was done in 2008 and frozen ever since. And it goes for what... $60? I even took a vacation at work to play it and boy how I was dissapointed after a few weeks.

The worst points of the game are:
    Most of legendary items aren't
    legendary at all, considering the drop rate is very seldom;
    You get only 1 type of socketed item in 4 different flavours (I'd like to remind you its year 2012);
    Only a few different random-generated dungeon events;
    Amount of available map "blocks" is very low which results in incredible repetitive dungeons (you can see this even in the first act by looking at the cathedral minimap);
    You can't spec your hero the way you want - all the stats are automatically assigned for you at level up;
    No character customization at all! You don't really need much at this camera angle but it wouldn't hurt;
    Poor interface functionality - comparing item stats at AH is troublesome, only 3 filters and you can't filter by item armor amount or block chance;
    HP+ globe stat doesn't increases healing potions efficiency AT ALL which is really weird.
  68. Jul 17, 2012
    Very boring itemization compared to d2. The game is based on gear almost completely due to certain monster affixes. On the plus side the combat is very flashy and fun. I guess it's diablo somewhere deep down, but I certainly expected much more from blizzard. In my opinion this is a below average release which will last short while.
  69. Jul 17, 2012
    After playing Diablo 3 for several months heres my (somewhat biased, hey its blizz after all, who CAN remain neutral :)) review:

Gameplay:

Unlike in earlier entries in the series you dont spend skill and stat points after leveling up, but gain some stats on a level up and obtain certain skills at a predetermined level (much like WoW... more on that later). This leaves you at level 60
    with a great plethora of skills which can be further customized by adding certain runes to them (which also automatically unlock by leveling up).
    As much as is love the possibility to change your skills whenever and wherever you like, there is one major drawback in the actuall "endgame" (playing inferno act 3+). There is the vast choice on how to set up your skills, but on the other hand engame is currently punishing enough for you to not stray too far away from the 2-3 existing cookie cutter builds. (The last patch which highered repairing costs also made it a lot less appealing to "try" something out).
    The Combat itself however is as fun as always and seeing a horde of Fallen explode over half the screen with a massive crit still feels very satisfacory.

Itemization:

Yeah.... you may have hear/read alot by now about this one. Im not a big fan about the current itemization either.
    Usefull loot is a lot harder to come by this time around and close to impossible if your trying to play completely solo without the use of the AH. Why? Uniques this time do more often than not have random properties, which may not sound bad, if you factor in the viability for different classes. However, since even set items can have useless stat combinations on them and are not even competitive with items with the same iLV (ESPECIALLY Weapons), you really begin to wonder why blizzard even bothered adding them to the game.... it certainly doesnt feel as epic or rewarding if you happen to find a unique this time around, since they do NOT have unique traits like in D2, apart from being able to have stats on them which normally couldnt be on that particular slot (movement speed on breastplate for example). This wouldnt be so bad if there werent other ways to get viable items this time around. However, the possibilty to craft an item with to a degree predetermined stats (Horadrim Cube) has been replaced with gheed.... i mean a smith who is not only expensive but also will craft you totally random items which more than often tend to be rather useless. Even the popular runes from D2 with which you could craft specific items out of socketed items didnt make it into D3. Oh, did i mention there are only 4 gems instead of 7 in D2 now?

Story:

Yes, D3 features a story.... but not a good one. Where do i start....
    Remember the great evil speeches of Diablo and co. in earlier entries? No? Well, me neither, because there werent any. However, seeing how D3 tried to change this, i wish they hadn't. It certainly does feel like a sunday cartoon, when Diablo is telling me exactly where i should strike, boasting how i will never be able to win jadajada, and soon after tries to diminish my sucess by stating that it didnt matter after all if i closed hells gate etc... Even the mainplot isnt that great to begin with, since it is predictable (Act 2 !) and without a clear narrative.
    Saddly, the more interesting stories this time are reserved for your companions and especially to one crafter named shen.
    A cool addition this time are the varying (but only presented via speech) cutscenes which change depending on your class.

Music

Not much to say about this one, some tracks from act 1 sound quite nice, especially the towntheme. Apart from that, there isnt that much memorable music. Especially the boss battle themes are.... lets say lacking.
  70. Jul 17, 2012
    Шедевр! 10 из 10.Обязательно для прохождения.Надеюсь эта игра станет игрой года 2012!.Отличный сюжет,gameplay.графика тоже на уровне,отличный multiplayer Expand
  71. Jul 17, 2012
    This game is terrible. The story is predictable and doesn't hold attention. The end-game is non-existent, and hunting for items is both boring and infuriating due to imbalanced loot and incredibly rare quality drops. Additionally, the fact that there is a real money auction house makes it feel much more like work than play, and there are an incredible number of bots around, which Blizzard has done nothing to stop as far as I know. Add a huge number of glitches, frequent down times, and almost no character variety, and you have Diablo III. Expand
  72. Jul 16, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that was destined to be loved by critics and hated by many fans. The reason for this is that it actually is a fantastic game when viewed somewhat objectively, but can be viewed as too much of a departure from Diablo 2 by those who gaze upon that game with rose tinted glasses.

The fact is that Diablo 3 improves upon many aspects of Diablo 2. Concerns such as art
    direction and character development and permanence that were frequently expressed prior to release are no longer concerns. Though this could possibly be due to the prominence of other concerns, I think it's more likely because these are no longer concerns. Sure there are no more stat points, but they are replaced by the process of gear selection. No more permanent build choices, but the rune system is far more compelling and allows more experimentation and customization. I think the majority of current concerns from the playerbase stem from 2 things: the difficulty of the game and the perception of the AH and the Real Money Auction House. Diablo 2 never really made an attempt to be difficult; it could be beaten around level 60, but if you didn't have the skill or gear to do this, you could always level higher and beat it using your superior level. Diablo 3 doesn't have this option; once you hit max level you are presented with a whole "Hell" equivalent just for max level characters. Therefore, you have to be skilled or have great gear to beat it. This is a cource of frustration for many: Blizzard upon release stated that Inferno would be only for the hardcore players; but the truth is that if it is there, players will feel they haven't beaten the game until they've beaten it. This brings me to the 2nd perception which is the AH/RMAH. The problem with these is that in order to have a challenging game, the Inferno balance decisions must assume the best gear in the game, because this gear is obtainable in the AH. In Diablo 2 there was no such medium for trading; everything was done on fan site forums so there was no real way to see how your gear compared to the world at large. This leads to the perception that most of the gear that players find is crap, and that you have to obtain our gear on the AH to do well. This also frustrates many players. However, if you like a challenging game, neither of these complaints really bothers you.

I've spent a lot of time countering criticism that I see, but the game really is great. Superb artwork and art direction. The story/voice acting is not the best, but honestly I've failed to be impressed by these aspects in many games, including full blown RPG's like Mass Effect. Diablo 2's strength is the heart pounding action, and this game delivers on that.
  73. Jul 16, 2012
    You can't customize your characters, the spells you gain are automatically given as you level, and a very limited number of them. Each spell can have a rune attached to it, which is the only thing you can customize the problem is that many of the more powerful runes are obtained early on meaning you literally have nothing to look forward to as you level so it becomes very tedious as there are 4 difficulty levels of the exact same game. You also can't customize your controls, as the mouse buttons (left-click and right-click) can't be changed so you have to keep an ability that uses left-mouse click but also causes your character to move, so if you happen to mis-click a fast moving enemy, it causes your character to move which in later difficulty levels can easily result in death. You can't change this either. Once you hit Inferno difficulty, the difficulty ramps up drastically in each act, where "elites" have a set number of affixes they can pull from, with some combinations being ridiculously hard, even harder then the bosses in the game. To further cause problems, some of these abilities can instantly kill you, and are small and hard to see like the Frozen or Arcane ones which can be placed underneath, and hidden by spell effects on the screen, only to result in your instant death. Lag is still a problem several months after release, and the game must be played on-line with at least 1 day of maintenance per week, sometimes 2-3 lasting far longer then other games typically going till mid-afternoon EST. Your character can "rubber-band" due to lag, usually resulting in death and a repair cost for dying. Additional problems include the collision in-game. Some escape abilities used to get you away from dangerous situations like a Wizard's teleport, can be "caught" on tiny things on the map like a crate, or the edge of a wall causing you to teleport to the location that you collided instead of to the location that you clicked to go. As the abilities usually have long-cooldowns, this frustratingly leads to death as these abilities are normally used to escape dangerous situations so it doesn't help if you don't actually get moved from the spot you were trying to move. Another problem is the "queueing" of spells, as certain builds are built around button mashing, the queue routinely gets screwed up and clicking an ability doesn't always fire it off if something you had clicked earlier was still "queued". You move on to your next ability not realizing it never fired off. Lastly, and the worst part about this game is the horrible itemization. Getting an actual upgrade to drop is extremely rare, and I have yet to see a single upgrade in 120 hours of play right now. All of my gear was purchased on the gold Auction House where you can get pretty good items for very cheap because there is literally no market for them (thus, very hard to make any gold in this game because very few items ever sell) but the big upgrades are all priced well out of anyone's range unless they either use real money, or get extremely lucky and find a drop they can sell for millions to be able to afford the items going for 20+ million to upgrade their character and progress. Trying to sell mid-range items on the Auction House is an excercise in futility because there is a mandatory 36 hour posting period, and no way to cancel with a 10 item limit. So the odds are you will place 10 items up there, none will sell, and you can't put any additional Auctions up for another 36 hours. Even once you get a base set of cheap gear on the AH, without using specific min/max builds you will not progress through Inferno difficulty, and even as you do progress, the odds of getting an upgrade are slim to none so advancing your character is akin to winning the lottery, and not a normal path of progression with small, but systematic gains. Many people are botting and exploiting, further screwing the economy for the real players. At the end, you use the same skills through 4 difficulty levels of the same game (no customized levels like previous Diablo games), then are forced to bang your head against a wall trying to get an upgrade to drop (which is rare, considering how many different stats there are and the ridiculous fact that level 51 gear drops in the hardest difficulty, Inferno, which requires level 60 to enter) which makes zero sense. While you're trying to get this needle in a haystick upgrade to drop, you get to deal with horrible customization forcing people to play how they want you to play (using left-mouse for an ability and to move), bad collision engine and a difficulty level, especially on specific elite abilities, that makes little to no sense in Inferno and very quick deaths with repair costs for players. Do not buy this game unless you like torture. Expand
  74. Jul 16, 2012
    Massive dissapointment, the game is plauged with bugs, constant server issues,huge amount of exploits.
    The story was a let down. I could not spam spacebar fast enough to skip most of the horrific dialogue.
    This game, and I hesitate to even call it that does not deserve the name Diablo.
    Blizzard used to make some amazing games that inspired loyalty but now seeing this fiasco released has
    shown that squeezing every cent from the player at all cost is all that matters. Expand
  75. Jul 16, 2012
    The game has good content for early levels, slick graphics, but a very unsatisfying grind. An essential part of the Diablo franchise is itemization: the idea that finding and identifying loot is fun and exciting. This is not the case here. Loot quality and drop rates were significantly lowered in an attempt to curb its in-game economy. The result is incredibly repetitive gameplay as you re-run the same acts over and over for the minuscule chance to upgrade a single piece of gear.

Blizzard's attempts to appeal to a more casual gaming fanbase has resulted in much "dumbing down" compared to Diablo II. Skill points are now automatically allocated for you, and although there are seemingly multiple skill builds you can try out, the nature of the endgame forces most players to follow one or two builds in order to survive and progress.

Fighting enemies and clearing mobs is more dependent on the quality of your items rather than skills such as maneuvering or spell usage. Certain mobs contain random affixes that grant them special abilities; while this is an interesting concept there are certain combinations of affixes that are insurmountable, requiring numerous deaths to overcome, or restarting the game. You'll often come across monsters with strange hitboxes, able to kill you from 10 feet away even though you fled in the nick of time. The game also punishes dying, having quadrupled repair costs in one of the patches; a game should not dictate your style of play, nor should it punish you for being adventurous in exploring and combat. Bosses are more interesting, but come with an "enrage timer", essentially a countdown to doom should you not kill them fast enough. Why should you be told how to play?

Items are boring and lend to boring build diversity. The important stats are your primary, vitality, all resistance, life on hit, and critical damage. Stacking lesser stats will only get you hinder your progression as you'll probably fail to make a dent in any late-game monster. Legendary and unique set items are the rarest to obtain, and are mostly crap; the majority of them have inferior stats compared to magic and rare items; Blizzard has already acknowledged their **** and promises to buff them "Soon".

The game pushes you to use the Auction House (both Gold and Real Money). As a solution to Diablo II's lack of a formal trading system, the AH provides a quick way to upgrade items without having to spend time fighting hordes of monsters. Unfortunately numerous gold farmers, AH bots, and rampant item flippers (people who buy low, sell high) have caused the in-game economy to go wack, making top-tiered item prices exorbitantly high, and mediocre-to-good items unprofitable/unsellable due to high supply and low demand. On top of that, Blizzard takes a 15% cut on every transaction, and a $1 cut on top of that for Real Money transactions.

The game is meant to be played CO-OP, but many issues discourage doing so. Magic find is a vital stat that gets split among party members, punishing you for having good gear while teaming up with those who don't. Monster HPs and damage are increased by fixed percentages when you play with others; either everyone carries their own weight or you'll all suffer in combat. What happens here is friends will join your game, sometimes slightly underleveled/undergeared, and cause all sorts of headaches for your entire party because of the increased difficulty. After having this happen repeatedly you'll not only want to play by yourself (you have a personal follower when playing solo), and you'll shun friends by telling them to get better at the game before playing with you. Neither is conducive to good CO-OP gameplay.

Gameplay aside, the storyline is passable. After one playthrough there's no reason to rewatch the cinematics or click through all the forced dialogue.

The final nail in the coffin is Blizzard's utter lack of respect for its community and fanbase. A glimpse at the official D3 forums (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354739/) will show the numerous threads of players quitting, complaining about the game's difficulty/economy/itemization, and whatnot. You can take this with a grain of salt, but the amount of negativity and outcry surely hints at how terrible this game is. Threads are constantly censored and deleted without notice; well thought out posts giving constructive criticism are mostly ignored. Instead, mods will respond instantaneously to those having issues depositing $ into their Bnet account (and delete your thread should you try pointing this out).

This is the most infuriating game I've played in a long time; Blizzard has tarnished their reputation with this ill-conceived, ill-tested piece of **** Jay Wilson and his greedy team deserve to rot in hell for destroying such a storied franchise. Don't waste your money here.
  76. Jul 16, 2012
    It had everything to be one of the best titles in gaming industry, yet it failed in every aspect.
    The graphics are outdated, the always online thing is a pain, the whole plot is laughable and cheesy, the skill system is dull and, believe me, this is not even the worst! The worst of it is that Diablo 3 is unrewarding. The fun of the game (i.e., getting better and better equipment for your
    characters) was ruined by a drastic reduction in drop rates of useful/epic gear and by the implementation of an Auction House. So why would you go out there and face hordes of demons if they carry nothing valuable? And why would you do that if everything you may want is already at sale on the Auction House? Totally pointless.
    In addition to that, while most games today are trying to create an innovative and immersive gameplay, Diablo 3 is a step backwards: it offers nothing new and makes you feel like you're not even part of the game. You have no choices, you don't change anything, you just click everywhere the whole time. Sure that was fun back in Diablo 2, but that was 12 years ago.
    Finally, if you're thinking about buying this game, don't get fooled by "professional reviewers" or Wikipedia articles. Diablo 3 is a huge disappointment. But don't take my word for it, just take a look at the Diablo 3 Forum!
  77. Jul 16, 2012
    Bought the game a few days after release, really enjoyed normal, nightmare and hell modes. The difficulty scaling felt just right and some of the drops I could use. However, I am now in act 2 of inferno and I am bored stiff. There is no real strategy in this game, the boss fights are not very imaginative and the elite packs are dull. With most elite packs in inferno, you will end up resorting to hit and run tactics for about 10 minutes until you burn down all their HP. For all this effort you will pick up rubbish equipment that is always for another class. I wish the loot tables meant equipment dropped I could actually use. I don't mind using the AH, wont ever be using the RMAH but just now and then it would be nice if I could run a dungeon and find something worth equipping. A side from the boring progression in Inferno and lack of decent loot, I wish there was more randomization to the game dungeons as it is soo boring doing the same quests/dungeons over and over and over!!!!!!!! Blizzard are right to admit that D3 has no end game... it's flawed! If I had my time again I wouldn't spent my money on this game. Hoping Torchlight 2 bring more enjoyment. Expand
  78. Jul 16, 2012
    Game was essentially ruined by the real money auction house due to bots automatically buying all the good items on the gold auction house and relisting them for ridiculously high prices. Players are left asking themselves whether to bother competing with bots on the AH, or to instead spend hours grinding for gold in order to upgrade their gear.
  79. Jul 16, 2012
    A cut down, more "mainstream" version of Diablo. Its nothing like its amazing predecessor Diablo 2. The game barrows on many features of mmorpgs, such as no dropping corpses, no stat leveling, no skill leveling, and an auction house. Basicly just hack, slash, and loot at its best. The "Skill Rune" system seems like a great way to manage your skills but in the end feels 'dumbed down'. The runes basicly upgrade the skill as you go, so in most cases there would be no need to use a lower level rune. Overall I dont feel rewarded for leveling; I mean getting cooler skills/spells would be nice, but if I picked the same class twice there would be no difference once their both highly leveled. Other then their Items I havn't really had to customize anything but their names. No re-playability. Atleast not as much as Diablo 2. I could imagine you could play through each class 1 time, other then that I dont see the sense in making the same class again. In Diablo 2 you made many of the same class because you could build them differently. I had roughly 20 different builds for the 7 classes in Diablo 2. Overall just to many changes and unwanted additions to call it a good Diablo sequel. Im myself a huge blizzard fanboy, I've played and enjoyed all their games but I just feel disappointed with this release. Its still fun to play it just didn't live up to what I was hoping. If your new to Diablo then you might feel this ranks around in the 8-9 score area, but for everyone thats played D2 you may feel 5-6 is a better assessment. Expand
  80. Jul 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What it does good - The combat system is amazing. Great looking particle effects and very fluid all around. Decent customization of your skills. What it does bad - Pretty much everything else. The storyline is terrible. The main "twist" is decent but every big bad was a yawner. Act 4 being 1/4 as long as the other 3 acts makes no sense to me. Seemed very rushed. Normal and nightmare modes are insanely easy if you upgrade your gear regularly on the AH for essentially nothing. Hell difficulty with basic level 60 gear is a good challenge but once you get higher end lvl 63 gear its a breeze. Inferno mode though might as well be impossible. The later acts (2-4) were recently nerfed but it didn't help. My 60 barb who has 80% reduction of dmg for all the resistances and 70% reduction from all dmg because of armor, not to mention every defense passive possible with some good life steal, still gets 2 shot in Act 2 by champion mobs, also forgot the base 50% reduction in dmg because I am a melee character. I can clear act 1 while watching TV and pressing 3 buttons but as soon as I go to act 2 I die all the time. Balancing is a huge issue, my lvl 60 demon hunter that has crap blue that cost about 100K total on ah does 85K dmg. My barb does 12K dmg and has to be up close to do that dmg. Overall just poorly executed game. They are patching it monthly trying to get it balanced but I have my doubts. Not even gonna get into the terrible AH and RMAH in this review. Save your money and listen to the Sub 4.0 user review. Expand
  81. Jul 16, 2012
    This game does not deserve the price it has. It is very boring when you play alone, it is too short, and has a lack of content. Even the new things are bad designed. Just buy it if your friends has it.
  82. Jul 16, 2012
    Good game until you reach level 60, than the hell begins. The auction house is horrible, you cant filter more then 3 affix, witch is necessary to find good items needed to progress in the game. Bots, A LOT of bots, creating an inflation of the gold. Required an online connection, witch comes with lag (FROM THE SERVER! WTF). The difficult starts only in Inferno difficult, witch is not superated by skill, but by gear.

Just another pay to win game.

Huge disappointment.
  83. Jul 16, 2012
    I am really very disappointed by Diablo 3. oversimplifying no pleasure of play I go back to diablo 2 the best of the series for me. it's a real game at least, not a scam over blizzard
    (sorry for the mistakes I'm not very strong in English)
  84. Jul 16, 2012
    This game had way too much hype for what it is worth and considering how much time they had to prepare it, it was a major let down. It was almost as if they released LOD, learned from their mistakes and saw what their past developers did on Torchlight and tried to emulate it to make it more user friendly. Torchlight was fun but a little blah. This game's progression is weak in the sense that there is four difficulties and the need for the middle two is completely unnecessary, besides what is the point in replaying the same crap four times over?
    What Blizzard should have done is make it 2 difficulty settings and make it so on the first game-play you get far like lvl 35-40. then on the 2nd play through, you play half of it leveling and the other half endgame, making the end of it dramatically harder.
    Also the fact that this game cannot be played offline mode is complete bs, i mean i can get that they want to encourage people to use it but near the beginning of it all it was doing was encouraging gold farmers and the fact that there is so many random adds from gold farmers that just somehow get your information when you're offline is questionable.
  85. Jul 16, 2012
    I have bought the game together with 2 friends. We have been playing Diablo 2 for years and been waiting for this title ever since.
    I find it to be a boring grind (no different character builds, since every character of the same class gets the same skills; no WEAPON difference, since the weapons differ ONLY IN ANIMATION, not in play mechanics) - there is simply no variety, nothing to look
    forward, only a monotonic clickfest.

The game also sucks from a technological standpoint - the server connection STILL drops every few hours, months after the launch, and Diablo 3 was stuttering on a computer that ran Mass Effect 3 perfectly in full HD.

And even this is not enough - one of my buddies was informed in a rude e-mail that he was suspected cheating and is now banned. The accusation is false, and what's even worse, there was not even a politely worded warning.

Bottom line - this is no longer the Blizzard that made StarCraft and Diablo 2. This game is not worth your 60 bucks and your time. Find another publisher who makes quality games and does not lace them with obnoxious DRM. Stay away from this title.
  86. Jul 15, 2012
    Gave it a 4 because it provided a decent amount of playtime for the buck. But I only racked up that playtime due to playing with some friends. Even with that this game doesn't really offer much. Very linear gameplay.
  87. Jul 15, 2012
    The only reason I give this 4 points instead of 0 is because I *did* get ~150 of playtime out of the game, which, based on my videogame-buying philosophy that I want to get at least 1 hour of entertainment per dollar spent on the game, technically means that it was a good purchase. However, the reason I give it such a poor score is because I was expecting to get so much more out of it than I did instead of outright quitting after a month of playing it. Simply put, the game is a colossal disappointment. There is *no* way that it took Blizzard so many years to develop this game's engine, graphics, mechanics, etc. It's painfully obvious that the game, from the ground up, was built around the Real Money Auction House business model, and that's what most of its development time was sunk into. The game is probably fun until you hit level 60 and Inferno Difficulty, when you slowly begin to realize that the game was pretty much solely designed as a cash-grab on Blizzard's part. Feedback for the game has been overwhelmingly negative, but in response to this massive blowback, Blizzard has only made changes to the game that I believe only served to make the game even worse and even more of a disappointment. Just ask someone you know who quit, and if they didn't quit before Patch 1.0.3, that patch was almost certainly what pushed them to finally quit (that was the final nail in the coffin for me). It almost looks as if Blizzard is making changes based on what is most likely to force people to use the RMAH. Meanwhile, the Blizzard employees in charge of interacting with the community via the forums remain woefully silent about everyone's main gripes with the game, addressing only things that people largely don't care about, and sometimes being downright condescending to their player base. They really come off as implying "we'll tell you what's fun, and we are making changes to the game based on what we think is fun." It's as if Blizzard is refusing to face up to the fact that most of its fans hate the game and think it's a major disappointment. Many people feel as if they were bait-and-switched, and that they were cheated and lied to, and when one does some detective work pertaining to news about the game's development from years past, it becomes obvious just how many things were shown and then cut out of the game entirely before launch. This has been a major wake-up call for droves of Blizzard's once-loyal fans who auto-purchased all of Blizzard's games. They are starting to realize that this is not the Blizzard we used to know. Unfortunately, all we're dealing with now is another big, faceless game corporation that only cares about its bottom line instead of what its customers want. With Diablo 3 being lambasted from all directions as a major failure and disappointment, and the upcoming WoW expansion being largely regarded as a joke and/or "the death of WoW," it certainly looks like Blizzard is in a downslide, with 2 of its 3 franchises essentially in the toilet. Blizzard better hope it has something damn good up its sleeve with Project Titan. Even though I got so much playtime out of this game before I got fed up and quit, I still feel cheated out of my $60 because I, and everyone, was expecting this game to have so much more longevity. Expand
  88. Jul 15, 2012
    This game lasted both my wife and I about 50 hours of casual play, cooperatively and single-player, plus some game time with friends. This was enough to get us through the first two difficulty tiers. After that, the monotony became mind-numbing for both of us--basically, same story, same maps, same mobs, and same general loot table. The only differences each playthru are the different classes available, the level of loot, and the increasingly difficult mob mechanics that quickly become frustrating. To compensate, and as others have mentioned, into the 3rd and surely 4th difficulty tiers much of the "game time" is spent grinding familiar content and combining that with the in-game auction system to get better gear to move forward with fewer headaches. But as fewer headaches do not translate into greater enjoyment, both of us have uninstalled the game and shelved it pending any great DLC or expansions, so I rate this as only "Average." If one is a great fan of the series, or has friends that are, then it may have more lasting value. Expand
  89. Jul 15, 2012
    The game is fun until you reach level 60 and inferno. Then it gets boring. Farming the same spot way too many times and only getting **** items isn't my idea of fun. The game is built around tha AH, and when the economy is ruined by bots the RMAH is the only way to go. Diablo 3 should be about killing monsters and finding cool items you could use, but it's not. I'ts repetetive avd it gets really boring really fast Expand
  90. Jul 15, 2012
    Is it made in China?Oh, dam* game !(*=n)
    A huge disappointment, no more skill points to distribute, no more attribute points to distribute, skills unlock automatically as you level up, WoW inspired skills.Why is there no LAN?
  91. Jul 15, 2012
    How can anybody give a game a 0/10? I can understand a 1/10 if you hate the game and it is annoying, but a ZERO?!?!? To many, that means it's not a game at all. And my friends, that is exactly what I intend you to hear. Diablo 1 was revolutionary! Diablo 2 was great! What happened?
    Well, shortly before development of this game began, Activision took over Blizzard and a man named Mr.
    Kotick appeared. Now, anybody who remembers Blizzard remembers that their slogans were "Done when it's ready/SOON" and "By gamers, for gamers." When Kotick took over, they changed their company motto to "A culture of thrift" (Google it), and killed off the real Blizzard.
    So now, we have a "game" that requires internet in all modes, including single player? No big deal! Except, you can't play the game on camping trips, airplanes, business breaks, or anywhere where you can't connect. But, it will get worse when Blizzard eventually decides to discontinue their servers, which they can do at any time and for any reason. So, if you are thinking about buying the game, you had better buy it before they pull the plug. It's not a matter of "if", but WHEN!
    So, why would they do this? They say it was to prevent hacking, but not one hacker I've met has been able to hack a system in offline mode, while several have been able to hack Diablo 3. They say it prevents piracy, but the game has been ripped as well, so that doesn't fly. The real reason that this single player game is not playable offline is because of their Real Money Trading Auction House(RMT.)

So now, Blizzard has implemented the RMT, what does this mean? Well, for them it means money and money and money. They are constantly patching the game in ways to make it harder, thus forcing people to need the RMT items. Every class in the game has been nerfed in short order. Smashing items now increases repair cost, forcing you to buy gold from RMT. The endgame gets so hard in Act III that players who were invincible on the previous act have to revamp their entire character, thus forcing you towards the RMT.
    Diablo 3 is not a game at all. Diablo 3 is Blizzard's boiling frog experiment. You know, where you can boil a frog inside a pot, and the frog doesn't jump out if you raise the temperature slowly enough? If they increase the buying temperature of the endgame by one degree at a time, can they boil you before you notice? I don't know man, but a fool and his money are easily parted. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!
  92. Jul 15, 2012
    One of the biggest disappointments I have ever had the displeasure of playing, a game infected by the same corporate greed that has been plaguing this industry for the last decade and making no attempt to hide it either. I won't even go into the story other than saying it feels rushed, incomplete (likely to make way for expansions) and pretty much thrown together to give the game some semblance of plot. What truly becomes apparent rather quickly is how this game's aspects completely revolve around players using the auction house, be it real money or in-game gold, at every turn in this game one is being goaded into spending money, be it the lack of level appropriate loot dropping in higher difficulties, the fact that gear and not inherent stats determine everything from offense to defense, Blizzard's nerfing of classes who have the possibility to circumvent the gear requirements needed for inferno difficulty, everything in this game pushes people to spend money to get better gear. On an auction house where the economy has been broken since release wich (perhaps intentionally) pushes people to towards spending real money on RMAH. Even the now infamous DRM is all a means to keep that infernal auction house alive and I find it truly mind boggling how Blizzard can not seem to admit that Diablo 3 is being used as a cash cow at the expense of their consumers' enjoyment. The skill system feels heavily uninspired and simplified, the game has been advertised as being gothic horror, but even an 8 year old wouldn't get a scare out of this game. Diablo 1 and 2 felt dark and scary, the music felt ominous, Diablo 3 has abolished this feeling and made way for a game for all to play and enjoy... (and spend money on the auction house). The arrogance of Blizzard's "you play how we want you to play" aproach is another point of interest, classes and mechanics being nerfed leaving certain builds and gear (on wich players have spent quite a bit of money) completely useless, there is just no excuse for how much this game blows in the end. A game used to bring in money at the expense of the consumers' entertainment by taking a much loved franchise and putting a shiny new number on it. Truly sad. Expand
  93. Jul 15, 2012
    Game driven by Blizz' greediness . Every change they make reflects it fully .
    I've played D2 a decade ago, but this seems more like a miniature WoW rather than a hack and slash. Where you can just brag about your gear and call anyone with lower stats a noob, other than that not much to do.
    Also this system of taxes in both GAH and RMAH makes you feel you're some kinda Blizzard employee
    and in fact you are making money for them . Just like drug dealers do . Expand
  94. Jul 14, 2012
    Has lots of potential but fails to reward the player enough. Needs more random maps and less random loot. Sound, graphics and general mechanics are good enough.
  95. Jul 14, 2012
    The art work and tasty little video clips Blizzard revealed led us into thinking that Diablo III would "take us" or is it "plunge us" into new depths of demon spawned darkness and horror where we are mans last salvation. Sadly it does not. Diablo III is not a bad game in terms of "start too end" story line, it's just whats in between those two points, that undoes what could have been a truly epic game. It never was going to be anything but a tedious game doing four, yes four runs to get too Inferno (Normal, Nightmare, Hell, Inferno). The epic fights I looked forward too against what I hoped would be legendary demons with unbridled power and tricks up their sleeves. Sadly it turned out to be attack, run away, attack, run away, attack, oh you're dead. The only thing I like, is my monk's ability to keep everyone bubbled and healed and still being able to deal out damage making my need to be in a group essential. Sadly some players fail to understand monks need monsters too beat on too regenerate their spirit to keep said players alive, and so they kill the monks target and then they die and blame the monk, because they didn't get bubbled or healed. LMFAO at these noobs.

Character development. Skills are great as long as you read very careful exactly what it does and what will be impacted by choosing something else. Monks are very badly screwed over by the need to use spirit to do anything cool let alone helpful. Constantly being drained of spirit and not regenerating it fast enough can lead too alot of deaths. I spent alot of time, circling monsters. singling one out away from the pack, move in, strike a few times, build some spirit up, circle away before the rest of the group has time to land too many blows. The other classes are OP and don't appear to have too much trouble with large groups. You get runes to enhance your skill, each rune adds a different type of effect too your skill. In my case I went with everything that increased my spirit regeneration. I have soloed Diablo and managed to revive my team mates for the final killing strike simply by biding my time, keeping myself bubbled and healing myself and Diablo away from their corpses. Power of the runes.

The story line is not very robust. Receive quest, go here, kill this, get this item, give it too this person, next quest. It's a rush a job. Blizzard seemed to have spent far too much time drawing pretty pictures than filling in the lay of the land, side quests of historical value and creating decent movie sequences. I'm sorry, but cartoon videos indicate you ran out of money, not that you wanted to impact the Asian market place. One decent video sequence is all your going to get folks. Side quests are laughable, some relate to current characters, most seem to be there as part of the achievement system. The storyline should have been carved into atleast three stages and money spent on refining each stage. Instead we are delivered a rip off of Titan Quest. Which again was too damn long but your fighting creatures from antique, which is cool!! I know there is an expansion pack coming, that much is obvious, you will see it if you know what too look for. Value for money. No, not really. Blizzard knows that, that's why they gave it away free for a 1 year WOW subscription. Diablo III gets a 4 out 10. Subsequent expansions won't save it. Better to go straight onto fleshing out the story line for Diablo IV.
  96. Jul 14, 2012
    Blizzard promised a game that would be fun to play (it was -- briefly), feature prominent PvP (it doesn't have it at all), and would be viable to play long after reaching level 60 (it's not). Instead, they delivered mediocrity tailored to maximizing profits, in particular by manipulating drop rates in order to increase prices on the RMAH. Blizzard is not the company they were in 2000. They are a single-minded corporate driven money-making behemoth, There is nothing wrong with that, except that those companies make games designed to make them money, not games designed to deliver players a great experience and extensive replayability. Wish I could get my money back. None of my 15 or so friends that started playing this game in May still play it. Not one kept playing more than 6 weeks. If you haven't bought it yet, avoid it like the plague. Expand
  97. Jul 14, 2012
    Normal difficulty is so easy that it is simply a chore to play through. Nightmare is only really challenging with a full group that is under geared or just inexperienced. The game doesn't feel like Diablo until just about Hell difficulty, which is a shame. Additionally, the always on connection require to even load the game is unforgivable. And lastly, the system by which Legendary items are generated seems completely busted, as you are much more likely to gain useless junk or at best, a decent item that is outclassed by a [yellow] type item of the same level.

Story wise, not as compelling as Diablo 2, and the in game cut scenes are shockingly bad compared to Starcraft 2's in engine work. Unfortunately, some key moments in the plot are told this way, rather than in actual cinematics. Overall, the game is necessarily BAD, however it fails to live up to its legendary predecessor.
  98. Jul 14, 2012
    After the small problems on launch and after patch 1.03 this game is lots of fun to play even without the auction house. Graphics are good, itemhunt is there and classes are mostly balanced and all feel very diffrent
    Way better than diablo II
  99. Jul 14, 2012
    Simplified to the point that it can't be called an RPG, D3 failed to keep me entertained they way it was supposed to. Pay to win system removes any sense of achievement, or desire to achieve anything noteworthy. And the writing sucks like nothing else.
  100. Jul 14, 2012
    Disappointing, not up to standard for modern games. Act 1 had a lot going for it with a lot of destructible items and traps you can trigger on enemies. After Act 1 the detail drops off and you can tell less effort was put in. Changes to items after launch have and bugs have made a mess of the economy. Below standard from Blizzard... I blame the Activision takeover.
  101. Jul 10, 2012
    I put over 100 hours into this game hoping it would get better.. Unfortunately.. it didn't get better. This game is complete garbage designed around a real money auction house. They spent 12 years ironing out all the legal issues surrounding the auction house.. and they didn't even work on making the game fun. Instead the designers choose what it fun for you. DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP GAME IT REALLY SUCKS Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012