3.9

1. Aug 24, 2012
    Well made, but short, repetitive and with ver very little in the way of customization. The always online idea is arse and sadly the likes of Torchlight just do this so much better these days.
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a hack and slash game with RPG elements using isometric projection to take the player through an epic journey defeating the Prime Evils. It continues the story laid out in the previous Diablo games and although it revisits places from Diablo 1 and retells much of the story of Diablo 2 through journals and character conversation, it is recommended to have played these games in order to understand the storyline. Most people are familiar with the mechanics of Diablo and those who are not will soon find the game to be second-nature; you click on enemies to destroy them with your spells that are bound to numbers 1 through 4 and the left and right mouse button while moving with either the mouse or keyboard (See options to bind keyboard movement). There are 4 different acts with a lord of evil at the end of each act that the player is required to defeat by himself or with up to 3 other players all the while collecting new items that are "dropped" by defeaten enemies. New to the series is that skills are no longer permanent, you can swap them around when you please (Although there is a cooldown after changing and it is very difficult to do during combat) and your loot is your own; other players can only see their own loot. At first I was worried this would break the game but it works very well. One thing I would recommend is to start playing Hardcore (Permadeath) as soon as you can. As soon as I reached level 10 on softcore, I switched over to hardcore because softcore was boring me to death. The only thing you risk while playing softcore is some damage to your equipment when you die. If you die on hardcore, you have to start all over again and that's the only thing that gives me a rush. The game is far too easy on "normal" difficulty but it starts to pick up when you reach "nightmare" difficulty so if you are bored with the game considering switching to hardcore. Unfortunately, Blizzard is catering to the softcore crowd and you won't, for example, see a real money auction house on hardcore. They have also not yet introduced any sort of player-versus-player function (neither on SC nor HC) although they have promised this will be added later on. Launchday was problematic but the lag complaints are either blown out of proportion or me and my friends are simply very lucky. All in all, despite Blizzard hoping to turn Diablo in some kind of WoW-lite, it is still Diablo at its core and perhaps that is the problem. Game design has changed and the endless grinding is slowly making way for more intelligent gameplay. Diablo 3 has missed the bus and is still trying to catch up with 10 years of changes. There is no more Open and Closed battle.net so everyone is forced to play on-line through battle.net but that's simply the modern way (and more cheat-free) way of doing things. Unfortunately, after around 100 hours of gameplay I got fed up with the game and I am changing my score and tune: the storyline isn't worth revisiting over and over, the constant grinding is a bother when you know you can just hop on over to the auction house and buy the items that you need. In fact, it is impossible to play the game without using the auction house unless you are willing to grind for days on end to get the items that will take you to inferno. Especially on hardcore, where every bit of optimisation counts. Not recommended at its current price. Expand
  3. Sep 23, 2012
    When you play this game you feel that a lot of work was put to release it, but still it's pretty boring to play & repetitive. i started playing in late July, so I didn't get to know the Server problem - everything worked just fine. Some interesting parts start from the end of Act II. The plot is OK (for an Action-RPG), the movies among the Acts are great. The main problem for me is the ruined gloomy/gothic atmosphere of the previous games. It just looks like you're playing Torchlight, but, to be honest, Torchlight was more addictive. Everything is so bright and cartooney, sometimes you can't even see your character. About the monsters design - I liked it. But the Diablo with **** was not so cool. Playing together with someone makes the game more fun and if I tried to walk it through by my own the user Score would be lower for sure. Summing up I'll say that this is an average game, not bad, not good, but still a lot of people will be playing it just because it's Diablo III. Expand
  4. Jun 6, 2012
    Ugh Possibly The Worst Game Of 2012!
  5. May 24, 2012
    Ok, this is my second review of this game on here and I have to give this a better score than I did before. Now, the issues with this game are still there: The fact that you ALWAYS have to be online to play is the worst sign of the future of gaming bar none. The fact that the developer can control when, how, and what you play is such a terrible idea and really treats the consumer like dirt when they have no say over what they're doing. The fact that your subjected to Blizzard's Battle.net, which I've never been impressed with, is another reason that can make playing this game alot more difficult. However, the bottom line is this: The game is super fun, especially with other people. The fact that every map basically is a randomly generated dungeon adds a fresh element to replaying the story on the harder difficulties. Whatever you think of Achievements, if you actually go out and try to obtain them, it'll make playing this game more fun and give you some goals to shoot for. The best thing, however, is definitely playing with other people. I've had the opportunity now to play through the story once in single-player and once with 3 other people and playing this game with a full party was so much fun. It really adds to everything that this game is and your missing out if you are only playing single player. You can even join public games with random people to see how it is but playing it with people you know and enjoy being around is the best part of this game, especially when everyone is playing different classes and your coordinating with each other especially on the harder difficulties. Yes, there are alot of problems that surround this game in how you get to the point where you are playing it. However, beyond the fairly simple story, this game is easily one of the best of the year and the fact that you can have a fairly old computer, like I have, and still play this without the lag that usually accompanies new releases like this make this a must play. You'll have the issues that I said before but your doing yourself an injustice by not playing this game with your friends. It really is that fun. Expand
  6. Jul 13, 2013
    Sigh. One of the biggest disappointments of 2012. BUT there is a remedy. Torchlight II. Go buy it. It's on sale on steam for $10 and will literally address every complaint you have with this mess.
  7. May 18, 2012
    Ha ha ha! when i look at the user score and then at the Critics' reviews i cannot help but wonder - DO THE CRITICS GET PAID BY MAGNATE COMPANIES to write reviews? :D Amazing!
    In any case, i'll continue to chime the same bells - beside a necessity in net-connection (let's put this aside and try to concentrate objectively on the game itself) - Diablo 3 is a failure because it TAKES AWAY
    from what has made previous titles so successful - it takes away Uniqueness, Replayablility, Character Customization. Very disappointed. Gave 3/10 simply for the effort.
    Let's not waste the hard-earned cash on companies that drive greed instead of customer satisfaction. Have you really thought about THE GAMERS, Blizzard? The answer is obvious and oblivious.
    I know that i rather support hard-working indie-games, who actually think about me - THE GAMER, instead of giving my money to an undeserving monster machine that is driven by forces other than GAMER SATISFACTION, be that gamer hardcore fan, or a newbie.
  8. Aug 5, 2014
    As a huge fan of first 2 Diablo games I bought this the moment it was released and I was basically disappointed on every level. While I finished the game and I enjoyed the ride a bit, it took me 2 days and I never had a feeling I should go through it again, or even try out different classes. I finished first 2 Diablo games like 50 times replayed them to death simply because it was so amazing, addictive, fun and just extremely replayable, but Diablo 3 lacks all that magic. I never had an urge to go back and through that again. Maybe it's the kiddie colorful visuals, gone is the darkness of the first Diablo, it kills all the atmosphere and where is that cult music? Diablo had one of the best soundtracks ever created for a videogame and Diablo 2 was also fantastic. I don't remember absolutely anything about the music in Diablo 3, so bland, average and completely forgettable. It seems mostly new team consisting of very different people compared to previous games were responsible for creation of this and it definitely shows. This is leagues worse than previous games from the series. Also, if you add that always-online DRM bs that Blizzard pulled off, you get the urge to go to red numbers with the final score, but I'm trying to stay objective, the game wasn't really all that bad, but it just wasn't even nearly as good as previous Diablo games, not even close. 5/10 Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    A solid third installment of the franchise with the gameplay still enjoyable. However the major changes made by Blizzard to character development and the way you grind weapons (also introducing Auction House) stink of greedy business ideas and just trying to make as much $$$ off of a brand without actually making a great game.
  10. Oct 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that remains more or less true to its predecessors. If you enjoy hitting logs, skeletons, or pots, and watching a shower of gold and items fall to the ground, you will be pleased the core mechanics are unchanged. I enjoyed the art direction of D3 - it is neither cartoony nor 'bright', and the story feels more focused and interesting, though it only gets in the way during subsequent playthroughs. The current ability system actually works fairly well, letting you swap skills and customization on the fly. D3 has some downsides though, some of which are fairly minor and metagamey while others are serious. It's got an internet connection requirement, but let's face it, it's not 1996 anymore. The lack of talent trees or stat placement some people may miss, but I found the trees bloated, and requirements for gear was kind of annoying. The itemization for gear is terrible. Fully half of the things you find have stats that are of no benefit to *anyone*. STR wand? Come on now. Furthermore this applies to legendary items as well; something that should be an awesome find is too often vendor trash. This ties in with the auction house, which I feel completely subverts the point of the game - 'play, loot, upgrade' is now 'shop, buy, upgrade'. So, I don't know. D2 was a great game, and D3 could easily be a worthy sequel with some work, but there are a lot of things going on that will probably make you stop playing after a week. Expand
  11. Dec 4, 2012
    This game has excellent voice acting, excellent stylized cut-scenes and excellent graphics. I enjoyed this game very much when I got it, it is fun to play. Each class has its unique play style and feel. The sound effects are awesome. Overall, I think it was worth the price. And now for the bad side: - the always online requirement caused lag issues often when you play solo. There is no good reason why the player should experience lag while playing solo, it should be played offline. - loot drops are horrible, it is hard to progress with the random gear that drops for you. I think Blizzard did this on purpose to make it hard to progress without using the Real Money Auction House which they make a cut of profit from. - Blizzard monitors everything everyone is doing all the time like Big Brother and often decides to nerf your class or alter the game when people find ways to increase their odds of finding good gear. Once again I think this is to try to force you into using the real money action house. - ironically, the auction house UI is horrible. It is extremely difficult to find out what the average selling price is for a piece of gear you have. People who are used to the excellent WoW AH will find this very frustrating to use. - the crafting system is too random, you can in theory use blacksmithing to help you make gear while you are progressing, but due to the randomness you are unlikely to get the gear you need - the game is very repetitive. You do the exact same story on each of the 5 character classes and there are four levels and each level you do the entire story again, so your gameplay will consist of doing the same story 20X if you level 5 classes to the end. Gets boring after a while. To be fair the maps have random elements (caves/dungeons) and mobs in them that don't spawn every time but it is still very similar each time. - my last complain is a minor one, but there is no way to really see what the gear looks like on your character without leaving the game and looking at the character in the hero screen. In other games like WoW I like to check out what a new piece of gear looks like on my character. The Diablo 3 gear looks really good, but it is a shame you can't easily zoom in on your character to see the great artwork the games artists did when you equip a new piece of gear. There is a minor zoom function but it still views your character too small to really see. They should just copy the WoW character screen where you can zoom in and rotate your character from withing your inventory, maybe an optional tab you can open up. All my major complaints are related to the always online requirement. I'd happily opt out of ever being able to use the auction houses if it meant I could play solo offline, I only used the AH once because I hate the AH UI anyway. I dread to think of ever making a hard-mode character (where if you die you die for good) with all the lag spikes, I'm certain lag would probably kill me before a monster did which would not be fair.

Pros:

+ you character looks awesome!
    + looting, killing and combat sound effects sound awesome!
    + loot name text has no boxes behind the text so you can easily see baddies behind it that you are fighting
    + voice acting is decent, all info given through voice acting
    + good story telling (albeit lame story)
    + cut scenes are good, they are artistic and stylized
    + this game has an intentional retro feel, but does not feel dated
    + classes (5 choices) are diverse and interesting, each class has its own unique gameplay feel

Cons:

- $60US (over-priced should be $30-$40)
    - single player requires Internet connection, server-lag, rubber-banding and server DCs occur frequently
    - loot is boring, rares/legendaries are often worse than common items and often useless to any class, upgrades drop 0.001% of the time (ie: almost never, this game is a boring, tedious gear-grind)
    - all characters of the same class look identical
    - no mods allowed
    - Blizzard treats this like its an MMORPG in closed-beta: BS nerfs and changes often from Blizzard, forced to play how they want you to play instead of how you want to play. Game is unbalanced, you're 1-shotting everything one hour, next hour everything is 1-shotting you. Elites are harder than bosses, final boss Diablo is easiest boss (wtf?), etc.
    - questing is very linear, do the same story 4X on a single character, repeat for all five classes
    - zoom feature really sucks, you have the choice between looking at your toon normal (extremely small) or zoomed-in (very small), no custom zoom, no way to see your gear close up without logging out of the game to the hero screen
    - forced to start your character at easymode and repeat entire game each time to reach next difficutly

Neutral:

. stats are automatically assigned by the game when you level according to your class
    . chosen skills can be switched at anytime (with a short cooldown)
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    It's really hard to fault Diablo III as 90% of the game has stayed true to the exact same formula used in Diablo and Diablo II. While playing the game through the first time was a blast it remains to be seen if the game will have the longevity that made its predecessors legendary.
  13. May 30, 2012
    Having played through all character types on normal, I have to say this game feels very close to the original games in terms of gameplay, story and audio quality, okay so the leveling and buffs system is all new but it seems to work pretty well and the auction house is handy for folk that can't be bothered with grinding for that "perfect fit" gear.

Personally I never suffered any timeout
    or lost saves or server issues whether in solo or co-op modes but can appreciate how crappy that would be due to its drm method which is a bit over the top, also the huge price by PC game standards (Most games are £25 on release these days, but thankfully I only paid £20 for my D3 2 days after release so can't moan there either).

Will Torchlight 2 be better? who knows but I'll be buying that as well since it's dirt cheap and has most of the missing stuff PC gamers demand.
  14. Aug 22, 2013
    I must be one of the few gamers reviewing this game who didnt much like or play Diabolo 2. D2 was BORING. It was repetitive. The sound effects were annoying. The graphics sucked. The story was stupid, and combat was either too easy or too hard. Not only that, the skill trees were confusing, the classes were irritating and there was no kind 'role playing' in the game at all. The thing that Diabolo 2 did well was LOOT. That cube thing! Gems! legendary items. While I didn't much like the game in total, I loved the loot! loot was the one thing Diabolo 2 did well. Diabolo 2 was the KING of loot games. The loot was so good, that even someone who disliked eveything else, actually stuck around to play a bit, just to see what I could find. Whether you could use it or not, every hour it seemed you could find something interesting to look at, stick in the cube and mess around with. Loot in D2 was the best. So what happened Blizzard? Now we have Diabolo 3. All the things that were bad in the last game seem to be better. Yet the thing that was most important. The thing that was fun. the one area in which Diabolo as a franchise outshone every other game in existence has been NERFED!!!!!!!!!! You must be facking kidding! What is this game? Its some kind of conveyor belt of pretty spell effects and boring loot that we are supposed to play? No cube? No sockets? No set pieces? No legendaries? No NOTHING in the one area where Diabolo was worth playing???? Do i get it right that this game was designed to be boring so that we would pay cash to buy things that we used to have fun finding. that doesn't make any sense. Buying items gives ZERO sense of satisfaction. If you buy an item you only feel like you wasted real money on some data, that we get for free in every other possible game we play under the sun? This is not game design. THIS IS ZERO FUN. Zero fun equals zero score guys. Who ever is responsible for this needs to go and find a job doing else, because they clearly don't understand games. Hey developers please don't be so cynical, so mean spirited, so corporate, so compromised, so petty, so nasty, so explotative, so cruel! Stop measuring success on unit sales and annual turnover. With the kind of budget power Blizzard has, you could have made a game so much better than Torchlight 2. You got outgunned by a team with 10% of your budget, but 5000% more integrity! what a pack of utter, spineless losers this team is, their boss's member deep up their collective rear end. Hang your heads in shame! If you can't make the game you want to make quit and find a place where you can. If your boss has bad values, quit and stop helping him exploit you to exploit his customers! Show some spine and integrity! Your whole team should compose a letter of denunciation and leave en-masse. Maybe then we can forgive you for this joyless auction house with bloom effects tacked on. 1/10 for those things that were improved. 3 very quiet claps for that

15. Jan 11, 2013
    Diablo 3 is ok but it is nothing compared to the past Diablo games. There are also other games like torch light 2 which are better and cheaper. Diablo 3 is just a waste of money, the only thing you will be getting is disappointment.
  16. Sep 3, 2013
    Simply put this game breaks one of gaming's cardinal sins, its just godawful boring. No thought or creativity was put into this game and even a year later there are still server issues for an offline single player game.
  17. Jul 30, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a mediocre hack and slash game with little to no character customization and an insultingly short campaign offering nothing out of the ordinary. Neither the gameplay nor the presentation brings anything new to the table, if anything the game brings less then you would expect from a hack and slash game since the game is devoid of any kind of pvp or characters customization that we have come to expect from the genre. The fact that i completed the entire campaign in a day with my friends could be forgiven if 10 hours it took was quality time. But no, the level design is pretty generic except for a few impressive backgrounds and a big part of the main quest feels like filler if anything. So in the end what you get from Diablo 3 is a mediocre action rpg with one of the worst drms i have ever had the misfortune to use. There is some serious problems when i cant advance in my single-player campaign because of stressed out blizzard servers. Stay away from this one. The sound-effects is pretty good though, i give them that. Expand
  18. May 30, 2012
    You can see how out of touch with reality the reviews are these days. So called pro critics all giving the game big scores... (For what is less defined) and very experienced gamers giving a much more reality based view. It is hard to critique this game simply because its an always on game. Brave to release a title like this on this basis. ADSL in most parts of the UK isnt "always on" to start with... bad former NTL areas now under the virgin brand are a classic example. I know people that can barely skype for 10 minutes at a time let alone play anything for a long period of time. Add that to the fact Blizzard seem incapable of keeping the servers up and you have a show stopping experience before you even get to the game. In a sense, in this case this is fortunate, because it hides this (MMO) Massive Mediocrity taken Online. It was how long in the making? What were they doing? Expand
  19. Oct 24, 2012
    Why do all game devs these days only care about money. Screw your auction house, the whole point of the game is to collect stuff yourself, what is the point if you can just buy the items in the auction house? It's stupid. The game itself is too easy, Story wasn't that great,graphics are good, and gameplay is good. I just can't give a game a good score when the game itself is repetative and you can't play offline. The game should be limitless and not have it's limits. Get your s**t together or get out. That's all I can say. Expand
  20. Apr 26, 2013
    i bought that game on pre-sale, played it about 3/4 weeks and never open ir again. Why? Diablo 3 spotted the Diablo brand. Shame on you Blizzard, i was your fan. Why make the system too simplistic? Diablo 3 spell system is designed for a kid.

The auction system has complete destroyed the entire game. The campaign are so quickly and repetitive.
  21. May 29, 2012
    For years I played Diablo 1 & the king of time sink Diablo 2 day in day out. Admittedly I was not looking forward to Diablo 3 because I felt like D2 would never be topped. I eventually gave in after seeing the ads on TV over and over again. Purchasing Diablo 3 is probably the best decision I've made in years. Unfortunately there is no single player mode in this game, it's all multiplayer so friends can jump in and out of your games I don't know if there was an option to turn this off. Not that this bothers me I played every DIablo via Battle.net so it was pretty much the same, never took advantage of single player. Firstly the story feels a lot more exciting then the previous two Diablo titles, confusing at first but the cutscenes were nice. Gameplay is still fun killing enemies for treasures something the Diablo series has perfected. Auction house is a welcome addition as well, long has the diablo series needed a solid form of currency system over trading. Can't say too much about the graphics because of the style of the game, sounds & voice acting however are good. I have no complaints about this game, it's perfect and just as addicting as the other Diablo games. There aren't enough points for me to give D3. Expand
  22. Sep 19, 2012
    This game is not that bad. DRM really sucks and we all know that DRM is not because of piracy but because of that fu....g auction house. On the other hand you can complete even onn inferno without using RMAH without too much trouble. If i wont look at DRM and RMAH Diablo 3 is worse than Diablo 2, but it is not that terrible. Main problem is totally 0 difficulty until inferno and even on inferno with good team you can kill any mob or any boss without too much trouble. This game does not deserve 10 but it also does not deserve 0. I just expected more from Diablo. Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: The graphics aren’t the best but they are still great. 8.
    Sound: The sounds good, themes, voice acting. 10.
    Gameplay: The game is similar to Diablo 2 but with different types of spells depending on the class you choose. The game feels too much of a grind, walk, kill a monster, walk, and kill another monster. As soon as you get to Act 2 it starts feeling like a chore. To
    hit level 60 you must complete the game on all difficulty settings previous to inferno. After, there are now newly added paragon levels which are just programmed for the dedicated player. I enjoyed the game, it’s something different than what I normally play, but it is very repetitive. 8.5.
    Story: The story is average, I can’t really say much without giving out spoilers. 7.0.
    Lasting Appeal: Worth it, and if you bought the annual pass for WoW like I did, the game is free. 10.
    Overall Score: 8.7 out of 10.
  24. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm not surprised by the black and white "0 or 10" mentality adopted by the average reviewer, or the fact that 90% of people dissing D3 have never played it because they listened to metacritic. If you really, truly believe this game is worth a 2 or a 0, you are much too retarded. Diablo III is not a bad game, and I've played tons of bad games before. As many have pointed out, it suffers from blandness and lack of being unique. This game is is in the "slightly above average" spectrum of things, and while that may be frustrating for many fanboys, it shouldn't affect score. All things considered, it's a fun and enjoyable game, I'm glad I've played it, I won't play it for years to come but that is rarely the case with any game. I recommend this game for a discounted 20$ price tag, because it's about equally as good than Torchlight II or Path of Exile, which are respectively 15$ and free. Expand
  25. Oct 19, 2012
    After enjoying D2 years ago and years of waiting I must admit I'm disappointed. Don't know if time passed by Diablo or something else, but this game is BOOORING!! I hardly managed to play 2-3 hours and then went to cry for my money. Don't think I'll be back playing this anymore. Maybe I should give it change to get better but this 3 hours was too much... Feels like I played 30 hours.
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    If you played Diablo and Diablo II, then you'll know exactly what to expect in Diablo III. Most of the standard Diablo game elements are here, along with some new elements added in to modernize the game. So where did Blizzard go long? The game take far too long to get anywhere or to progress your character, the game favors grinding over exploration and progression and Blizzard has treated this game more of a MMORPG then what it should have been, a dungeon crawl. What's even more unforgivable is the fact Blizzard has actually changed drop rates to encourage players to use their over stuffed, over hyped auction house system for the game. Crippling the player's equipment just to force them to use another feature is terrible. Expand
  27. Jun 19, 2012
    Diablo III is an action RPG set in a Dante-esque world constantly threatened by the lords of Hell. As far as action RPG's go, Diablo III is definitely a bash-in-the-door dungeon crawler, and it sticks to what it knows best: blasting things, looting, and blasting things harder. Most of the time, you'll be casually destroying weak enemies, but the real fun comes in when tackling the bosses or the elite enemies. Some of them are very difficult, and won't be beaten without tight tactical play. The difficulty is curved nicely, for the most part, and if you can't beat an enemy, a switch of skills often does the trick, but sometimes you just need to farm to move past it.

As a casual Diablo II veteran, I really enjoy the new direction Blizzard has taken with the series: no decision is permanent, which means that you can try things out, reverse non-optimal decisions, and switch play styles on the fly to see what works best or you. Character customization is therefore limited to the build you choose to play at any given time. However, many Diablo veterans dislike the more radical changes from previous iterations, so I won't say Diablo III is better, just that I like it a lot more.

The auction houses add the ability to buy/sell items with other players, which can make a huge difference if the random loot you get doesn't leave you with, for example, good armor but a useless pair of pants. The downside is that a lot of the gear needed to perform well at the hardest difficulties can be prohibitively expensive, and isn't much of an improvement over farming.

The always-online restriction does get annoying, especially because I've been in some areas since launch with bad Internet, but it's nice that all of single-player play won't be lost when I decide to play online co-op. It makes things harder, but ultimately doesn't ruin the game if you normally have access to a mediocre or better connection.

All in all, it's hard to beat Diablo if you're interested in a good dungeon crawler. Don't go in expecting it to be like Diablo II, because it isn't. I recommend it, but beware that your mileage may vary, especially for the high cost.
  28. May 16, 2012
    Excellent game. Demon Hunter class plays brilliantly. Hacked my way up to level 25 yesterday just to get the crossbow sentry's. AWESOME. Control is flawless, animation and story very good (though I don't play game for story - I watch movies or read books for story - I play games for ...game). Took a while to log in in the evening, but no biggie. A single player or co-op game that has server queues like an MMO isn't brilliant, but it's not that bad either. Loving every minute of it. Love the hatorz as well. Wonder why they bought it? (Wonder IF they bought it more like lol) Expand
  29. May 19, 2012
    gave it a 5 because I have not played it yet, so I didn't want to impact the rating. Im writing this to say that I have been playing the Torchlight 2 beta, and its really great, so whatever your complaints are about this game dont worry because there is A $20 dollar game coming out in about a month and it will satisfy anybodies need for a quality point and click action RPG.
  30. Jul 17, 2012
    Having enjoyed both D1 and D2 very much, I was excited for the release of D3. I think that Blizzard did a wonderful job bringing this franchise into the present by removing many of the tedious and dare I say, useless facets of the previous games. Removing the stat points from the game and making characters skill based was brilliant. And to top it off, if I want to change my character, I no longer have to start over and grind my way back to where I was. I simply change my skills and keep on slaughtering. Like D2 the game leans heavily on finding loot but has created a system where anyone can jump in and have a very satisfying session without the need to have some special set of armor or purchase items for real money just to compete. And the best part of all is the DRM! Yes I said it and thank the powers that be for making that decision. Good by hackers and dupers. I don't miss you one little bit. Sure you have to have an internet connection but in this day and age if you don't have an internet connection you have more to worry about than playing a game. Get real. Overall, very fun game that has met most of my expectations. I am only giving it an 8 because there is room for improvement (hint hint expansions). Expand
  31. Dec 6, 2012
    Has absolutely no LAN mode nor plan SP, everything's online even your character and everything you have equipped. Gameplay is laggy even on an excellent connection but on the plus side GFX can be ran good and all that junk. Bad storyline and the updates are made by children (meaning children told blizzard this is good or bad and then they changed there minds so then everything went back to normal, there was even one update that had 2 game modes the exact same thing.. On day one the server had already crashed and had to be fixed- that should tell you something. My computer can run a bunch of games really good in high settings but with this game i recieve a BSOD, i have no idea why but my hardware barely gets used when playing this game so i rate this game 0/10 Expand
  32. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (0/2)

Wildcard -1)

33. Nov 14, 2012
    I've put in about 100 hours all around playing this game. I didn't get bored until I'd played for about 60 hours already across three characters. The gameplay is initially very fun- developing a character and acquiring new skills is great, as is the system of personalizing your character according to your playstyle. With that said, the game gets old after you play through your first time. Playing through again is kind of a chore- the plotline is pretty terrible, so that's certainly not a reason to go through again. Once you have all the skills, the runes are not that compelling of a reason to continue leveling up. Gear is hard to come by, as certain attributes are nearly useless for certain classes. Then again, you already all know this. The game is not as bad as has been said (you're pretty much guaranteed to put more than 30 hours into the game, which is, in my opinion, worth the price), but then again- I wasn't a D2 fanatic myself. I played casually in D2, and feel that D3 is an upgrade in certain ways, but a downgrade in others (plotline, atmosphere, and character customizability). Expand
  34. Apr 4, 2014
    Addictive, repetitive dungeon-crawler - ridiculously easy even on hard level for the first playthrough. Plenty of loot and a wide variety of locations, enemies and bosses to keep you pushing forward relentlessly. There's a familiar story of demons and angels, good vs evil, betrayal and bravery etc .. However there's not much else in terms of strategy or role-playing. This is a fast-paced action game that you literally play with one-hand on a mouse if you have some side-buttons for hot-actions. I think I had to press Q for a health potion about three or four times and that was it. Might consider the expansion and another playthrough or two in the future. By the way I had zero problems with the online connectivity requirement, so I don't know what people are moaning about. Expand
  35. Jun 5, 2012
    Revising my review down a point after playing it more... because I'm already bored. The real difficulty for me here is that while the hack and slash aspect is well designed, so much of the other stuff was screwed up. The story is both lame and unnecessary at the same time. It feels like there's less content then previous games. The server issues are very well known at this point. The amount of lousy drops is really something compared to previous Diablo games, and Blizzard's admission that drops were deliberately made worse in order to protect the auction house economy is just shocking. Who plays Diablo for an auction house? The entire heart of the franchise is killing stuff for loot, not pretending that we're on eBay! (And the less said about the real money AH, the better.)

It was fun for a little while, but that didn't last. At this point I think I'm already close to being done with it. For the price, the value wasn't really there. Terribly disappointed considering Blizzard has always delivered before.
  36. Jul 27, 2012
    Bad uniques, bad set items, no crafted items, no eth items, no jewels, no runes, no charms, no runewords, generally bad loot tables, smith not balanced, juwel guy not balanced, enemies not balanced, kite n run instead of hack n slay gameplay, no gameflow at all between act 1 and 2 inferno, bad balance of classes and skills, no pvp at all, steady serverproblems combined with no offline singleplay mode, chat bots, ingame bots, auctionhouse bots, exploiters that made billions and billions of gold worth ten thousands of dollars ruining the auctionhouse market. Take this list. Apply it to a game. Rate the game. Do it honest. Expand
  37. Jul 4, 2012
    There are so many biased reviewers out there that are letting their emotions cloud their judgement. Diablo 3 is not where near a good game but it sure as hell isn't a 0/10. There is so many BS blizzard has done to this game is beyond count however when it comes down to it, Diablo 3 is a pretty decent game overall and has some pretty cool gameplay, the problem like I said is the stupid BS blizzard has done to this game such as DRM and the money-grabbing Auction House. Seriously! In a game that revolves around Looting items you release the bloody Auction House. 5/10, solid game play, good cinematics but too much bs . Expand
  38. Sep 13, 2013
    Stripped of all the RPG depth and character development of the first two games, Diablo III is disappointing from the start. But the pay-to-win, real money rip-off auction house makes this game nothing but a joke. To make matters worse, Blizzard then releases a console version that fixes some (not all) of the problems of the PC version, but refuses to give the paying PC customers a corrected version! PC gamers were used as a trial-run for the console port, and offered nothing for their suffering. When even respected developers like Blizzard have abandoned ethics, morals, and artistic vision, and turned to dumbed-down gaming, crappy ports, and intentional rip-offs, one must necessarily start to lose faith and hope in the whole gaming industry. Who will save us from the misery? Not Blizzard. Expand
  39. May 19, 2012
    After 50 hours of gameplay in 3 days, I can say only one thing: excellent game, made to last for years and decades. Oh my, so many haters here were probably paid by a company hostile towards Activision and have no idea what they are writing about. This is a great game, with an enormous potential that will make you play it years after you bought it. The gameplay is awesome, th UI is very well thought. Locations are a delight: vast, varied, vibrant with Diablo 1 gloomy and dark atmosphere. Multiplayer is great, I have never seen so addictive co-op. Looting, crafting and skill systems are full of great innovation and offer tonns of items, millions of skill combinations and an enormous potential where you can sink you gold into. Auction House is a very good feature for those who don't want to think too much about strategies and tactics at higher difficulty levels. So why all this hate? Let's analyze it step by step by looking at some major accusations. INNOVATION. This game IS innovative, but as much as it is necessary not to loose the Diablo style of game. COLORFUL. No, it's a return to good ol' Diablo dark atmosphere, without some colorful elements of Diablo 2. INTERNET ISSUES. Well, the game is out 2 days and some gave it 0 because more than 2 milion people preordered it and maybe another 4 milions bought it and can't log in during the first hour after the servers are up? Come on, give me a break! INTERNET-DRM. And so? If I can play without some stupid hackers and cheaters running by, why not? And what is all about latency? I never ever had any latency issues in D3, except in the beta. NO SINGLE PLAYER... No comments on this. What kind of arguments are these people bringing in? Diablo III is great. Period. For me, it has only one (1, ONE) big flaw: the music is nothing in comparison with Matt Uelmen's. Who played Diablo 1 will know what I mean. Expand
  40. Oct 6, 2012
    A very bipolar game. The graphics, sound, art, and environments are incredible. The combat is fluid and great fun. But the soul of Diablo has been removed from D3, with its terrible loot system, horrible balance, and dumbing down of statistics. The Auction House severely damages the game since everything is balanced around it. The story is so terrible...it makes a mockery of beloved characters. To sum up, D3 is a wild ride that ultimately disappoints. This is Diablo in name only. Play it for 30 hours then quit because it doesn't deserve more of your time. A sad state of affairs... Expand
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    Played this game a lot at launch, took a break, and recently picked it up again. Around launch time, things revolved too much around the real money auction house. They still do. Even though the developers continue to make changes to itemization, and while setting the monster power level increases XP gain and magic find chance, finding legendary items is still super rare and requires tons of grinding. The auction house is the carrot on a stick tempting you to bypass that grind by paying real money or tons of gold for end game items. End game items are pretty lackluster thanks to the changes in character development. The damage your skills do is now purely based on your weapon DPS which is tied to your character's chief attribute point. So if you're a barb all you'll care about is strength and vitality, a demon hunter or monk dex and vit, wizard int and vit, etc. So when you see a new item, if it doesn't have those bonuses to those attributes, it's essentially useless with a few rare exceptions. You also no longer have control over how to distribute your attribute points narrowing the list of viable builds for each class. Additionally, you unlock skills in order as you level up. "Runes" can be selected for each skill which augment or totally change how it works. Skills can also be swapped out at will once unlocked. This helps maintain some variety in play, but the number of skills are pretty scant compared to Diablo II. PvP was recently implemented, but most people seem to be doing PvE runs for legendaries or unique sets. Very few people are playing compared to Diablo II, a game nearly 15 years old at this point which should tell you something about how long times fans have been receiving it. Unless you're new to action RPGs or have never played a Diablo game, it's hard to recommend Diablo III. Expand
  42. Oct 27, 2013
    Note that most of the extremely low scores were day 1 nerd rage. The truth is that the game is very good for what it is namely, a roguelike action RPG. Diablo III is the best game ever made in its genre. Does this make it a great game? No. Why? Because it is repetitive as heck. But it is polished to a mirror shine it is the best in the genre. It is just that the genre sucks.

You will
    hear people whining about the always online thing. This is pretty much a non-issue. On launch day, things were rough, but since then, I've had a problem exactly once, which was hardly tragic I lost maybe three minutes of time. The converse of this the fact that you can play ANY of your characters with your friends more than makes up for the annoyance, and its really probably the only reasonable way to keep their marketplace intact.

What about the marketplace itself? You can ignore it if you don't like it, and if you do like it, it is there for your use, and it is easy, convenient, and sure.

What about the game itself? It is Diablo II, but better. It takes everything good about Diablo II, and tosses out everything bad about it the skill trees are gone, you can respec at any time, stat assignments are gone... basically all the stupid busywork which could make your character terrible are gone, and all the things that are fun are present and better. Every character is constantly using their skills, 100% of the time, and this makes for much more diversity in play, and you have many different sorts of attacks on all characters. Some people will nerd rage about losing choices, but let's face it you lost no choices at all. The skill trees existed soley as traps, as there were realistically only a few ways to play any character class, and if you wanted to try out a new skill, you lost that skill point forever, which sucked horribly and encouraged you to never diversify. The stat assignment worked out terribly as only one statistic actually mattered. Diablo III fixes these problems by letting you pick whatever skill from your class you want as long as you are high enough level to use it, and by getting rid of the stats (or rather, your ability to assign them), rather auto-assigning them in an optimal fashion, making the game actually work properly.

The only real bad thing about the game is the same problem that many action RPGs have the gameplay itself is rather tiresome. The really fun enemies only show up later on in the game, making act 1 feel like the act 1 of every other game you've ever played, and quite frankly, even the "really fun" enemies aren't that fun... which is pretty much par for the course for the genre.

There are better, funner games out there, but Diablo III does what it does well. Unfortunately, I just don't think this genre has any life in it anymore we've all played a ton of looters by this point. Do you really need to play one more?

If so, Diablo III might be for you. If not... well, I would recommend against it.
  43. May 26, 2012
    A story that the fans cracked literally years before release, difficulty-setting with gear-dependance that had the AH in their sights since day one, epically failed launch and still on-going with latency roller-coasters, unresponsive controls and just obnoxious enemies around every corner.

The philosophy that Jay used to "Turning people hardcore" by making a game impossible to play later
    stages without dipping money into the auction house is no way to please customers. It feels forced, necessary and dumb. If you want to make people "hardcore gamers", make a game addictive and fun instead of this miserable pile of **** which guarantees death, disappointment and endless grinding accompanied by an extremely lacking service lever after level. As far as the appeal go, graphics are extremely outdated and just like Wow, no matter how much you polish them, they will still look old along with a REPETITIVE story accompanying REPETITIVE game-play with a REPETITIVE set of maps that has no true "randomization" involved besides a small pool of maps and don't get me started on the music. Bye bye Matt. What's blizzard's first thought? FILL EVERYTHING WITH AS MUCH ORCHESTRA AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE BECAUSE THAT'S ALWAYS A GOOD MOVE. Thanks for leaving me hanging in over 10 years just to kick me in the balls, blizz. Expand
  44. Apr 9, 2013
    I have to update my review. Months after release and playing more than 200 hours as well as trying out the other Action RPG competitors, I am glad the direction that Diablo went in. Compared to the previous installment, they did streamline the game to not feel so "nuts and bolts." There are some things that this allows and prohibits. The one major downfall is that every character levels up the same. This limits the dynamics of the characters. Once you have a Barbarian or Demon Hunter already created, creating another is superfluous. However, it allows for a focus on skills and skill selection. Also, there are options to test different builds to one you like. Attributes are automatically distributed when you level, so the game becomes a little more results based.

The drop rates are way better than months ago and Inferno difficulty is manageable than there were even 6 months ago.

Multiplayer can be fun and as time went on, there are more options for those that don't participate. Patch 1.08 will enhance the benefits of multiplayer more.

The RMAH was a bad idea and is now recognized as a bad idea by Blizzard. The auction house can be nice sometimes to open up different options. There is a sense of community that I don't see with the competitors with the online DRM, auction house, multiplayer etc. that I like, but most find these to be the greatest detriments to the game or the areas that need the most improvement.

Unlike many games, this game is continually updated and revised. I've put countless hours into this game. It is a wonderful value since it requires no additional costs.
  45. Oct 16, 2012
    I was going to give this game a deserved 9 out of 10 ... but can't. I've managed MINIMAL game time due to server issues. I don't care what the 'DO GOODERS' keep saying about 'Have patience'. I'm sorry, I've bought Diablo 3 to play when I wanted. Blizzard have my money therefore my side of the agreement has been met. Sadly, Blizzard have FAILED to do their part. The biggest challenge is getting past the login screen. TO THE DO GOODERS ... If you bought a car and it only came with three wheels and you were told the other one will be here in a weeks time, you'd complain. You would say 'Hold on, I've paid for a car with 4 wheels'. Well that is EXACTLY what WE the NEGATIVE REVIEWERS are writing about. It's POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and in these modern times we DESERVE more from a company who make computer games. I'm not bothered that it's day one etc etc etc. I've PAID MY MONEY and I want to PLAY THE GAME I paid for. That's the way the world works. Expand
  46. May 17, 2012
    I played this game for 10 minutes and it's the most amazing game I've ever played!!! I know, that sounds ridiculous... but it's no more ridiculous than those giving the game a zero simply because they can't play offline. I have to balance out the stupidity. I'll put up a real review when I actually play the game... unlike all these knee jerk reviews.
  47. May 25, 2012
    I previously gave this an 8 out of 10 but I had to knock it down due to a few reasons. My review pretty much stays the same, brilliant game, challenging on higher difficulties, especially with more players, fatal flaw being gear oriented instead of skill oriented despite the fact the game really still makes you use your brain one way or the other. You cannot just wow rambo rush into a group of enemies on hell or inferno, even if you have good gear you will get destroyed.

Graphics are slightly outdated but the gameplay is smooth and fluid, while it isnt one hundred percent like diablo 2 I can say it has entertained me when diablo 2 became stale after six years, and it entertained me for the first week for around 86 hours, if it were not for a blizzard management technicality and flawed system it would have probably entertained me for more.

The first one is easy to understand, the second one you gotta really look at it from a pov of someone who has received threats in blizzard products with your real name attached...

The first issue is, due to the rl auction house, the amount of accounts getting hacked is extremely high, and they can only do a total of 2 character rollbacks... per account... This is a massive issue since the rl auction house being in game really makes it easier for real money traders (rmts) to expedite the process allowing them greater ease to hack into an account. On top of this there is, apparently, a security leak on blizzards side, as well.

This is a customer service related issue, a technicality really but it results in a permanently locked account along with other management issues made by blizzard. I never give my real name out to people, I always use a pen name. Problem is, Back in the wow glory days of vanilla when the game was good I received death threats from some of the players in the game, some of which were able to look my name up and send some mail via the postal system with death threats as well...

Well when your account gets hacked you gotta submit a photocopy of your driver license, birth certificate (if a minor) etc, cant just give them the last 4 digits of the credit card used to purchase the item. But whatever, I had no trojans, no viruses, no worms, and no spyware/adware on my computer, checked with 3 different virus scanners. On top of this I never entered my information into the login page unless I logged into the diablo 3 site, itself, making sure I manually type the address bar. My account is now in limbo since due to previous death threats I received on a previous account I didn't want people to know my real name, technicality got my account permanently locked and unable to restore it. Of course since blizzard loves to post your real name on rl friend chat which makes it easier to communicate cross game... Well you see what im saying...

Either way, fantastic game, 8 out of 10 without blizzard management related issues, I don't even care about being able to connect on the first month of the game, honestly, I care that I cannot connect in the future since blizzard loves to give away my private information... Unfortunately, due to this over site on blizzards part, 7 out of 10.
  48. May 30, 2012
    This game review is serious. Serious as is serious the real world. This game may be fantastic or very addictive, it may be beautiful. But all that doesn't matter at all, because this game isn't ethic.

At a very high price (60$) for PC standards, this game ends with the player's freedom. At launch, we met tons of server problems and many players couldn't play at day 1. Even after that,
    some days servers are still down for "maintenance" and you cannot play the game that you bought legitlly. Not happy with that, Blizzard probably will launch lots of DLC and the total cost of this game may surpass 100$ easily. And the worst thing: the real money auction house. For each transaction, they win a % of the money. With that simple principe, they could win money over the years without any need to do another game or do anything at all. And the worst scenario: some day, they'll close the servers and we'll be unable to play anymore because of the DRM system. With all this facts, Blizzard is calling me stupid, and I'm saying "Yes, I am" just for giving them their 60$. But not anymore, this has to end. Companies like EA, Activision and now Blizzard think they can do whatever they want, that they can steal their users, that money is the only thing that matters. That's way this game deserves a 0. In a normal scenario, proabably I could give it a 7 (because of the step back from Diablo 2 in some ways), but not as it is right now. And remember, my 0 could be unreal, but is just as unreal as all those 10's (no game is perfect). Expand
  49. Dec 8, 2012
    Soulless. The whole game is like a shell which contains nothing inside. And countless people and my friends can confirm it was crap. We played it for a chapter and got bored and hoped it would get better...it didn't. No offline play, no LAN play. What's worse...plentiful botting and accessing other accounts through public games? Blizzards security was almost as bad as the game itself. Items don't drop enough, it's topped by every other hacknslash in history. The creators of Diablo 2 did not create this game, instead they helped make other SUPERIOR games. Expand
  50. Jul 23, 2013
    pros: - a much awaited Diablo sequel. I know I wanted this game for 10 years - very fast loading - decent graphics - coop cons: - there are too few skills to play around in each class and once the difficulty romps up the options are taken out completely - unless you want to double/tripple/quadriple boring farming of the same areas you must use in game auction. that in turn leads to mudflation. now in 2013 it is possible to get end game gear that allows easy entry into inferno(mp++) with no effort. Getting said gear on your own is impossible. The time spend auctioning is wasted. I'd rather be playing the game then the auction house with virtual items... it is basicly an in game character editor/cheat system that takes hours instead of minutes to get desired results.
    - in 2013 I've acquired enough power to kill anything in the game in under 50 hours solo leaving me with no challenge ahead or desire to play
    - there is noticeable lag related issues like getting killed by unknown force and attacks not registering fast enough leading to death even with latency below 150 in single player.
    - diablo 2 mega annoying random boss system is back but now that players do not have to instant refresh skills and the whole system being much much slower than d2 which isnt a good thing.
    - the only thing that was improved over d2 is graphics and even that is arguable as instead of dark hellish feel the game now feels like WoW.
    - all the maps are now static ...
    - character development does not exist/removed

the rest is imo:
    - an alright game to play once on normal. The rest of the difficulties area actually easier than normal and feature exactly the same content. For me who played d1/d2 a lot d3 feels like a sluggish version of the same game with extra quirks due to internet lag and included in game cheat system called auction house. Characters terribly lack customization options.
  51. May 20, 2012
    Diablo 1 was probably the first gory game that I have bought and played for a really long time. After years, me playing Diablo would become sort of a gag for people at my dorm (click-click-click...). Then Diablo 2 came around and it was the first time I ever pre-ordered a game. And what a surprise that was. Pixelated, somewhat colorful graphics, no gruesome dying animations and magic items that would drop very rarely and not be as interesting as those in Diablo 1. But... over time and thanks to a couple of patches that fixed the item drop rate, I got to appreciate at least the basic gameplay. Still... not nearly as good as the first one.
    And now... Diablo 3. The disaster has been long in the making. For one thing, even less impressive graphics for its time than Diablo 2. Even more stylized. No dying animations at all, just crappy rag doll **** AND the world's most awful DRM: always on.
    At least one person here is complaining about people bashing new mainstream games. Well... that's because they suck! Every single one of them that gets very low ratings has screwed up something in at least one major way. I actually find it very disappointing that e.g. that bug-ridden, visually pretty unimpressive Skyrim still got fairly high ratings. It is GOOD when people fight against the **** that is being produced increasingly these days! And you know what people should do instead of only rating it low? Not even buy such pieces of crap! Because with that, you're only encouraging those companies to keep making games that are of sub-par quality.
  52. Aug 28, 2012
    A lot of people seem to hate this game, and I agree with the masses. Truly, truly terrible. It is a pointless clickfest, where you run around killing stuff for no apparent reason. Some "pointless clickfest" games can be really, really fun, but Diablo 3 is not one of these games.
  53. Aug 31, 2013
    The only regret is that I waited all this time to play Diablo 3. That game isn't comparable to other h&s in the market. The details, the structure of the map, battles, story,graphics effects, etc. all to a higher level.
  54. Dec 31, 2012
    This game just isn't good. I was hoping for the best, but I got the worst. They took casual to a whole new level. It took a good 3 hours to die my first time, whereas the previous Diablo games would truly challenge you killing you within 10 minutes if you're not good at it.
  55. May 16, 2012
    WORSE DIABLO EVER VERY DISAPPOINTED !!! A) The worse DRM in the gaming history that requires you to be always connected and login with a server even for playing the single player campaign. I have never seen such a fascist and so annoying way from a gaming company to force even the Single player lovers to be always connected and all the time in the net just to play the single player part of the game.....B) Character customization along with the skill tree are far inferior from Diablo 2 and 1....C) Story wise this is a laughable sequel. The game story feels more like a low budget fantasy movie and like some short of soap opera and most characters in the game are forgettable D) The gameplay experience and most scenes makes this game seem more like a World of Warcraft variation than a real Diablo sequel with cartoony dated graphics. The game suffers from low quality textures and low polygon characters and poor animations , from the graphics point of view this new so-called Diablo 3 reminds me some old games from 2004-2005 period. E) WHAT Innovation???? You said innovation ?? Haha do not make me laugh you will not find anything really innovative in this mockery of a sequel.... Blizzard is just milking another cow it seems for the $$$money$$$$. Expand
  56. May 16, 2012
    This title, despite having a botched launch day (with numerous outages), is not a bad game. It is by far nowhere near the hype (as usually that is the case), but still fun to play. The graphics are pretty to look at, the enemies are everywhere, and is massively multi-player. The storyline is predictable, cheesy, and much like an action cartoon script. That is OK, considering the game that it is, and I do not expect an epic tale. I knew the downsides from the outset, such as a no offline mode (which is understandable with the real-world currency feature), no character customization, and the go here, hack-this-slash-that, grab-this routine. Overall, I am satisfied with this game, but it is by far, not the best I have ever played. Expand
  57. Apr 23, 2013
    It's probably been said in the hundreds of reviews this is not a Diablo game. In fact, if it was not named "Diablo", this would make a great 10 buck arcade game. If that was the case, I would give it a direct 5 star rating. But now I'm grading this game according to the expectations that it set and how it compares to its great predecessor. Lets see the pros and cons:

Pros:
    - Beautiful
    animations and effects
    - Fantastic sound (with the right headphones it is truly a blast)
    - Improved inventory management and storage
    - Auction house makes it easier to trade....you don't need to stay in a "trade" game for hours to sell/buy stuff

Cons:
    - Visuals do not match the Diablo universe it too colorful and childish, nothing like the dark tones in Diablo 1 and 2
    - Being able to change skills on the fly, and no attributes distribution, is interesting but it feels like you don't invest anything in your character (aka very limited personalization). I would rather prefer a skill tree system like in Diablo 2, but with the option to reset your skills for a small cost.
    - Itemization, which was the core of the previous games, is simply WRONG! Finding a really good item, worth keeping or selling is very hard, the legendary items are 95% of the time rubbish, the scaling is ridiculous there is nothing worth keeping for more than few levels, because at level 60 even the blue items are far superior to the level 55 legendaries.
    - Real money auctions make the game P2W (pay to win)
    - The crafting system is bad the randomization of the stats and the high crafting costs, means that you end up spending a lot more money to craft something useful, than by buying it from AH
    - There are no rune words, imbuing, socketing, jewels, horadric crafting, etc.....
    - The story is simple and anti-climatic and characters are dull and annoying. The mercs are totally useless on the high levels
    - Last but not least, the constant online requirement is frustrating...

So if you are wondering whether to buy this or not......if you are not a diablo hardcore fan keep wondering until the price drops to 10 pounds, at the current price it is not worth it. If you are a fan, better wait for Torchlight 2.
  58. May 23, 2012
    After several days on Inferno I have to dock this game to a 5. It's challenging but oh so boring. 10-20 minutes of kiting to slowly grind down a pack of elites gets really old really fast. Melee has it the worst as they lack ranged damage. It's brutally slow and a complete departure from the fun hack and slash style that made this series so great.
  59. May 20, 2012
    The Diablo franchise has now been reduced to a shameless & soulless cash cow and a slap in the face to all to the fan-base, his is not the game the loyal fans deserved after 12 years of dedication & loyalty.
  60. May 15, 2014
    I've had Diablo III for a very long time but after seeing concerns raised by many other gamers worldwide; I decided to only play it when it was in an acceptable state. Two years since release and finally this game is of a very satisfying standard thanks to the new patch and work done on DRM issues from Blizzard. For some, this is too late in the day particularly after the apparent 10 year development.

Fans of the series may have mixed emotions about this game; it has lost it's dark and gritty feel and is now more artistic with colour with a bright pallet and plenty of color. Some areas are often sparse but you're not too far from a battle here and there. The main story is fairly short which is a shame but you can replay the game with the different classes which offer enough diversity particularly in the inventory aspect. Developing characters, leveling up and completing the game multiple times is an extremely enjoyable experience and bumping up the difficulty adds some spice and extra XP+gold which helps ranking up.

The Story is nothing special and any side missions are fairly simple though. Combat is clean and fun but everything is very repetitive in time. Hunting for loot and building your hero adds much to what is at times a bland game.

Activison Blizzard have thankfully closed the Auction House which was something of some debate. Now more legendary items are dropping in game rather than you having to cough up with gold or real money just to improve your character this way. I found the ethics behind this practice terrible especially considering the shape this game has been in for the past 24 months. I have had no issues in connecting to matches or when playing which is amazing considering how many problems were reported with the DRM feature since release. The game is finally at a satisfactory standard now.

If you are a fan of Diablo or the genre; this game is definitely worth a purchase now. Don't expect the feel of previous games. This is more of a modern take which may put some people off. It's a solid title with a good inventory backbone and character development feature but it doesn't take long to finish and the game may be too linear for some.
  61. May 25, 2012
    People say not to give a game a 0, as clearly only fanboys do this, and their reviews obviously mean nothing. That is a very closed minded way to look at things. Some games do indeed deserve a 0 - Diablo 3 being a perfect example. There is basically nothing that Diablo 3 does that Diablo 2 doesn't do better. Diablo 3 is a perfect example of exactly what a sequel shouldn't be - Toned down gameplay, "b-b-but the graphics are better!!!"

What redeeming qualities could this game possibly have that warrant a score higher than a 0? Could it be the heavily restrictive DRM? Could it be the pay to win BS? I feel like this "game" was bought more by people who are interested in the political / business sides of gaming, and the DRM that would finally be the end of piracy (which obviously isn't even true). It's like they bought it out of some kind of distorted, false interpretation of "morality", rather than to play a game.

Diablo 3 is also a perfect example of why many people feel classic gaming is superior. The idea used to be "This company is providing a game that I am interested in. Therefore, I will buy it so that hopefully they will make more in the future. I like to have fun!" But now the idea of "gaming" is "Wow, this company sure did rape us all in the ass really hard! Now I'm going to go on the internet and accuse anyone who didn't buy it of being self-entitled!"
  62. Jul 11, 2012
    Its a good game but there are a few problems. Its a tad short and expansions that I have to pay for don't count. The graphics are OK but not what I would expect from a game released in 2012. Speaking of 2012 there are 10 times the great games out compared to when D2 came out and I'm not alone in saying I don't want to kill the same guys over and over again when I can do play something else thats new. They also need to check a dictionary for what rare means because I can fill my inventory with yellows but every one sucks. Even though its still a good game but not the super mega awesome ultimate game everyone expected. Expand
  63. Aug 24, 2012
    Blizzard / Activision has fallen from heaven. Diablo 3 shows us what happens when a good franchise is paired with abysmal and downright disgraceful business practices and devlopment. Here are my observations:

1.) Always online DRM has proven to have disastrous consequences for my game because now I am playing in inferno and when bad server connection from congestion leads to me being
    disconnected--- after I have secured level 5 nephalem valor (from killing 5 bosses to enhance drops) at great, painful effort, I have to start all over again. The game's mechanics are just being plain disrespectful. I play Diablo 3 99% of the time in single player and this mechanic has done me far more harm than good. They should have included offline option out of respect for players like me but apparently they don't care. Disgraceful! 2.) Story is brain dead and unworthy of the franchise. Character dialog is terrible and has been barely thought of. The story is disconnected from that of Diablo 2 and clearly dumbed down in preparation for some sort of bi-yearly recycling. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Guess what!? Diablo, Mephisto and Baal are apparently alive again! Trapped in the black soulstone (how did they get there!?) and now merged together into a "Legion" demon! Which is crazy because you completely destroyed them in Diablo 2; their souls have been destroyed forever in the Hellforge. They are gone and will never return. But how do you recycle a franchise without bad guys right? SO LET'S UNKILL THEM!!!

3.) Skill system offers little diversity. The very limited skills you get from reaching certain levels is really for plain brainless damage doing or avoiding/absorbing attacks. No intelligence required for use! Tactics!? Who needs that! Terrible.

4.) Gameplay is anemic. I consider Diablo 3 a step back in the franchise. I played Diablo 2 for many years and that offered far more options for gameplay than this one. Now everyone can be a tank/nuker at the same time except in inferno where it is freakishly difficult so that Blizzard will force you to buy items in their auction house and if you want the best, REAL MONEY IT IS! Blizzard takes 15% of all transaction costs!

5.) Gear system. Let me make it clear that Diablo 3 is NOT about player skill. It is about having the BEST gear. Skill in this game does not help at all with the super enemies in inferno (invulnerable minions with a boss that takes ages to kill) that will require you to have the best items in the game to destroy. You cannot even kite because Blizzard threw in the 10-minute enrage timer in inferno so if you do NOT kill the boss or champion group in 10 minutes your life will automatically rapidly degenerate to zero. So the only solution is BETTER items that you can get through auction house! They did not have to do this but they did to control you and FORCE YOU to play the game their way. I find that highly disrespectful as I want to play as I see fit. Nobody should kill you for not playing a game a certain way! And I play fair.

Conclusion:
    Diablo 3 is a waste of money. The brainless convoluted Call of Duty-equivalent of RPGs. It is completely dumbed-down to appeal to a "BROADER" audience--- Perhaps too dumbed down. Blizzard expects us, their customers, to not care about the gameplay, story and experience. They expect us to care only for one thing--- hype. "I am cool because I play Diablo 3! Did you see the website!?". Regardless of how bad that game is. Their mentality has led them to spend outrageous amounts of cash on marketing to over-hype the game while they super-rushed, starved, and went downright thrifty on the development team which led to a game that is only a third as good as it should be (the way I see it, they took only 2-3 years to make this) Because they think we are all carefree kids. Not me. I am a fan of the original and this is not the successor of Diablo 3. You do not have to support this hogwash of a game. Show them that you disapprove of the deliberate trashing of franchises by NOT buying this game.

I am giving it a 2. Yes this is a working game that does deserve more merit if it stands on its own. And by that I mean its own franchise. If this was a new franchise I might give it a 4 or 5. But it is not a new franchise. This is Diablo 3. The successor to what many consider to be the greatest RPG of all time. And I will grade it on that basis. If you are the successor then you should be better. If you cannot. Then save face and start your own franchise. And this game has failed miserably at that. I will not compromise.
  64. Nov 20, 2012
    With all the big time RPGs coming out lately, you had to expect that blizzard was going to knock your socks off with this one. Unfortunately for me it was little bit of let down. The 7 that I am giving is generous. The game has many issues one being the rather mundane maps that really dont show the scale of the game. Enemies are really rather boring to fight to, with the exception of maybe Rankoth the second the last boss, there is isnt alot of strategy or versatility to your character, granted I only played as a demon hunter, but I found myself using the same moves over and over. Secondly the item drops are horrible with no legendary items and I just didnt feel like questing a lot in this game because there was no real good rewards as you went on. I slogged through this for about 80 hours and defeated it on Nightmare mode and then moved onto other games. Expand
  65. May 30, 2012
    Sigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. I have played the game through to hell mode (normal,nightmare,hell,inferno) and i am giving this a fair review as most are just pissed off and give it a 1 or 0 i feel Diablo III should be rated at a 5, Not worth 60$ maybe 30$ and i would wait to even buy for the reason that they have a lot of work to do in making that game playable. Expand
  66. Sep 26, 2012
    I rated this game as a 6/10 shortly after release because, despite it's flaws, I felt that the game had potential and a part of me really hoped that improvements where in the pipeline, as at the time of release things like overall combat, difficulty, loot and the auction house were clearly defective.

However, after playing the game more than I really wanted to in order to give a fair
    score, I can honestly say that not only is D3 a bad game, it's... well, it's sort of broken my faith in gaming. It's that much of a disappointment. It's the definitive example of a company taking a franchise that was built with love and care at it's conception, and turning it into a soulless cash cow with a complete disregard to the common gamer.

The scores on Metacritic are by and large NOT trolling. The critic scores, to put it mildly, are an absolute disgrace and a clear example of an attempt to buddy up to Blizzard - a gaming megalith - for future releases.

Let me be clear - I'm a Blizzard fan, I appreciate the quality they have delivered in the past, but you have to judge D3 on it's own merits and not as a fanboy of the company.

I could go into details as to what exactly makes the game poor - such as dumbed down gameplay, mind-numbing repetition, no time spent/reward ratio, an unbearably stupid loot system which renders 99% of everything you pick up utterly useless and a profession system which I can't find a negative enough word for... but it comes down to one very simple conclusion; Diablo 3 is comfortably the most disappointing game ever. But even if you took it as a standalone title and ignored the franchise history it's still one of the worst games of the year with very few redeeming features.

Do yourself a favour - if you have fond memories of Diablo 1 & 2 and you're about to opt for D3, please don't. Keep your memories of the good times safe and sound.

And the major review sites should be ashamed of themselves - actually ashamed - as you're misleading people into parting with hard earned cash for a title that they can't even return or resell when they find out how bad it is. If DRM is part of a title, honest reviews are going to be vital in the future.
  67. May 20, 2012
    To start, I didn't run into any of the initial access problems as I got my copy a couple days late. Yes, the always on DRM is annoying and troublesome. But beyond these industry problems, this game disappoints. Blizzard plays it much too safe and generic. Graphics are outdated. There is little to no character customization. Plot is cookie-cutter boring, if not stupid, and is the same regardless of the class chosen (thus making replay or even experimenting with different classes) less of a draw for me. Voice acting is staid. The RPG elements, as others have pointed out, esp. the skill trees, are watered down, restrictive and mostly uninteresting. Character and plot progression are narrow and over-directed. Dungeons and environments are used and re-used ad nauseum (did they not learn from DA2?). Despite all these shortcomings I continue to play it; continue to click, click, click away, going on 16 hours now. The combat, power animations and baddie destruction is slick and fully satisfying, despite it all coming down to mindless button mashing. I'm compelled by some powerful Pavlovian impulse that Blizzard has tapped into (and that I was somehow immune to with WoW and Starcraft). So I've resigned myself to finishing the story and then perhaps playing some co-op, although I suspect the screen will be a complete mess of explode-y, obscuring animations when I do. Can't wait for Torchlight 2! Expand
  68. Jun 7, 2013
    I've waited a long time to say something about this game. A year to be exact, and since then, things have changed considerably. Was the game ridiculous upon release? Yes. Was it a game worthy of a 3.8 user score? No. Was it worthy of a 10? No. Blizzard did the right thing and is sticking by their game. It's hard to review their games because they constantly revise and update their methods and content. It's why writing a review on WoW is kind of pointless. You may love the game one month, and hate it the next. Diablo 3 has been moving, mostly, in the right direction. The story is weak and forgettable like with most video games. You won't be coming into contact with anything but a story designed for a 16 year old boy with little expectations. (Sorry, guys!) The gameplay is solid and visceral, but it lacks the complexity of RPG's in which you tailor and custom build your own character. The game focuses on "builds" with skills and the ability to switch them out on the fly as opposed to a stat allocation system in which all decisions are final. Take it or leave it. It's fun to smash monsters, and that's what D3 is mostly about: killing demons in the most brutal fashion imaginable. The maps gets repetitive after the 200th hour of play, but then again, what wouldn't? Still, I was expecting more variation on the part of Blizzard. Some places literally are the same thing each and every time. The MP can be fun, especially with friends, it is finally better to play WITH people as opposed to running away from them and sticking to solo play. The items in the game can still feel weak in an overall sense and in the subtle sense that most items don't' really do anything but boost your stats in increments. It's very World of Warcraft in that sense, no really cool things going on with the gear. Overall, I think it's a good game, but it's not revolutionary. I find myself playing it because I feel there simply isn't anything else that is a good time sink right now, and I'm not sure that's a good reason to play a game, but there it is. Diablo 3 will eventually probably be a gem, but it is still a work in progress. It's not nearly as bad as people want to believe though. It's a solid game, it's just not "Blizzard level". Expand
  69. May 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 definitely has some issues, such as connection issues. Lag in single player. No talent trees, and a fairly linear experience but past all of that is a well crafted game with lots of detail and is chalked full of interesting environments and characters to take the roles of. As a fan of Diablo 2 its a worthy successor to the Diablo series, if not a bit linear and it may not the the mind-blowing, genre defining experience we all expected, there is lots of hack and slash fun to have here. One cool feature is that anybody who is accompanying you in battle like a follower have interesting things to say and talk to your character, making them feel alive and believable. Not just mindlessly following you around. One of the worst parts of the game is constantly having to be connected to the internet to play the game. It is ridiculous that i need to online to play a single player game! What if i go on a trip and i want to take my laptop and play on the way or something? Im just not going to be able to and ill have to deal with it even though its a SINGLE player game, although you can play the game with random people online or your friends so thats good. Overall Diablo 3 is a great hack and slash RPG that is one of the best games to come out this year. Expand
  70. Nov 21, 2013
    Good game, I actually like how its different from the other diablos. While it lacks in story and could use a bit beefier skill tree I still have hope for blizzard. I am looking forward to the expansion.
  71. Jan 13, 2014
    Not good, not good at all. Almost everything that made Diablo 2 special is gone. Especially the atmosphere. Its gone. Completely.

Art style is so wrong, completely opposite of what Diablo should look like. Story is just stupid. Bad game.
  72. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is a 4, the reason people are rating it a 1 is because it is the sequel to Diablo 2. It basically took everything that was awesome from the genre and that game and stripped it down to a crappy, boring experience. I did not enjoy any of the time I spent playing this game.
  73. Feb 23, 2014
    Diablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them with new ones? We could have about 9 character classes ... New characters are extremely uninteresting. I did not like the barbarian or witch doctor or monk or demon hunter. According to me it is just a good magician. Anything else? Probably not. Diablo III- I would only recommend it only for the biggest fans of the series. Expand
  74. May 16, 2012
    I think that Diablo 3 is a decent game. I can see why so many people are peeved (DRM, lack of character customization, etc), but I guess the thing that really stood out from me is how much it borrows from World of Warcraft - like during development someone said "what can we take from WoW that to add to the features since we cannot come up with anything". The achievements, the gear colors, the upcoming arena pvp, etc. I am just surprised you can't be a Panda in this... Expand
  75. gas
    Jun 9, 2012
    Reading other reviews here i see that 90% of the haters here didnt play the game and/or moan about issues that arent in the game so be warned about that, the game is not that bad.
    Told that, after 3 weeks i am progressing in inferno act 3 and there are 3 basic issues.
    1) The game is not balanced at all, it goes from way too easy to so hard to get me nervous without offering any challenging
    and rewarding part.

2) its actually impossible to progress in group, cause again game balance issues, so its possible to co op faceroll content but you are forced to progress alone (patches will come but hey, its late sorry).

3) The hit detection is sever side and it counts from the start of the animation, so if a mob moves the sword to hit you and you move out before it lands the hit you still get the hit, this method is super tard and cant get really why its here, also considering that the game suffers a lot for bad ping, lag and stuttering.

Blizzard is no more going for "its ready when its ready", but a more modern "we will go to patch all", as nowadays standards, patches over patches over patches.
    Honestly i bought the game and i wanna play it now, if its ready after 6 months a next time we will pay after six months. those devs policies should be legally forbidden imo.
    Imo Blizzard is no more here.
  76. Sep 25, 2012
    Passable as a game, but certainly the downsides hurt every aspect of it. The auction house means you're just grinding for gold to buy better items than you'll ever find, and of course you're stuck with it always being there since always-on DRM doesn't let you play offline. Just play Torchlight 2 if you want the true successor since those are the devs that made Diablo and Diablo 2 anyway.
  77. Oct 30, 2012
    Diablo 3 isn't perfect but it still a great game. I have played for around 125h, finished the game (inferno) with 2 characters and halfway through on a third one. The game's major problem (may be actually fixed, i have played until patch 1.04) is when people actually get to inferno, the game become pointless. There is almost no legendary drops and 95% of the time, they aren't even good. They did add the paragon system which is good but wasn't enough to keep me playing. Also the constant maintenance on the game that may prevent you from playing when you want to is a little turn off. Expand
  78. Jul 1, 2012
    Ok, I am rewriting this review because after getting near the end of the game in Nightmare mode the game have become brutally unplayable. Monsters are placed right near spawn areas, much of the time elites, and if you die then that game is pretty much over. Cheating one shot kills the second you spawn in befor e you can even get one click off is NOT fun. When I exit the game and come back in they are still waiting there for me and I am dead before the game is finished loading. It is an eternal loop of login/respawn and die. Expand
  79. Jun 3, 2012
    In a nutshell, Diablo 3 is a well refined Diablo 2 for modern times. Visceral physics-based destruction, awesome monster models, realistic CGI cutscenes, full voice acting and pleasing special effects are all excellent additions to the Diablo franchaise, making the experience that much sweeter.

It seems the nearly 11 years of development wasn't enough - some character voice acting
    (Female barbarian, for example) is terrible, with a lack of enthusiasm and a poorly imitated accent. The story and setting in the final act felt very rushed - the supposedly epic moment in the game featured very small areas, no main city, few monsters, and very rushed story - a lot happens at once, and it all resolves very quickly.

The gameplay has a lot of much-needed refinements, notably the flexible and open skill talent system, single-potions removes the annoying potion spam and randomized 'events' add replayability and exploration. The combat is very satisfying and addictive, and looting monsters has never been better! Multiplayer features a lot of improvements, such as achievements, an auction house, simple partying, proper 'exclusive loot' system and cloud support. Unfortunately, Blizzard played it safe in this area, and unless you've never played previous Diablo games, you'll find very little new for gameplay.

It's still a click-fest; Blizzard hasn't discovered the wonders of a WASD movement system, though admittedly the 'click area' for monsters is quite forgivable. There were issues around large monsters in trying to move your player instead of attacking - the 'click area' for these demons are usually huge and not very intuitive - I repeat, a WASD movement system would fix this easily. Lastly, the 5 different character classes are vastly out of balance, where the melee classes have very little difficulty, and certain skills are downright trash. Maybe they will be useful in PvP (which was not shipped with the game). Lastly, for $60, Diablo 3 doesn't offer a long game - levels are no longer completely randomly generated a-la Diablo 1, and it only took 17.5 hours to absorb the majority of the game's content! For 11 years of development, a little more substance was expected.
    The controversial 'always-on' requirement, aimed at reducing game piracy, causes solo players to suffer. Players can now suffer from lag and disconnects, and is not playable when the servers are down. Not the best decision by Blizzard, but it's not as bad as some say, since the game works great when the servers are up.

Overall, Diablo 3 is a much-needed refinement to the Diablo games, well deserving of the "III" attached. Highly recommended to Diablo fans, those looking for fast-paced multiplayer co-op mayhem or those interested in the next best PC-exclusive title! Unfortunately, Blizzard played it safe with Diablo 3, with very few major gameplay features added and it still feels like an unfinished product, with a semi-operational auction house, promised PvP and vastly imbalanced gameplay. To end on a high note, Blizzard is known to support their games for years and years, so there's no doubt this review's complaints will become obsolete in the future!
  80. Jun 11, 2012
    A great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auction house is easy to use and gives players a reason to hang onto redundant, yet rare equipment; Drop-in drop-out co-op is quick and well implemented; Enemy scaling with number of players ensures no challenge is lost in co-op; Ability to re-spec abilities of active character on the fly reduces the need to start characters over again in order to get the ability combinations you desire; Ui is crisp, clear and uncluttered. BAD: Game cannot be played offline, even in single player, which is unnecessary and unfair for the consumer; Intrusive, unreliable always-online DRM causes many disconnection issues; Due to always-online functionality there are significant amounts of lag and framerate issues which diminish the overall quality of the experience; Weapon system is bizarre and poorly implemented with wizard characters casting spells out of a sword that they can't actually use; Other than clothing, characters cannot be customized, which makes the character selection seem a little out-dated; Character animations and graphics are boring and don't match the wonderful water-colour-like environments; Numerous balancing issues between classes that are going to take a while to iron out; Sound effects, voice acting and music are unremarkable; Stat points are automatically assigned upon levelling-up preventing players from creating truly unique character builds; Companion characters available when playing single player are not very useful and are quite boring additions to your adventure. OVERALL: There's nothing inherently wrong with Diablo 3 - it's a left-click marathon of a game with plenty of loot and loads of enemies to kill. But it's also one of the most stressful games I have ever experienced due to the totally unnecessary always-online DRM which is seriously detrimental to the industry and rather quite worrying. Add to this the fact that Diablo 3 brings little to nothing new to the genre that it so wonderfully popularised and you've got yourself a rather disappointing game. Is Diablo 3 fun? Yes. Is it the dungeon crawler that we've all been waiting for? Probably not. Expand
  81. Aug 28, 2012
    Diablo 3 could be a great game. I played the game for some time but i got annoyed fast. The real money auction house is something terrible... a "Pay to Win" option in a payed game. I spent 70 euros on the game and then i have to grind hours and hours to find a weapon that sucks? Or i have to spend more money in the aution house? Besides that... the game becames to BOOOORIN! Random maps are not so random (after 3-4 times they repeat) and the elite packs with random powers are absolutley terrible. Expand
  82. May 20, 2012
    Taking a glance the left column, one can almost see soul leaving the rotting corpse of the Gaming Review Industry. Diablo 3 is upon us and lo shall any mere mortal dare give it a rating lower than a perfect ten.

Twelve years in the making, Diablo 3 should be providing the Gamer with buckets of entertainment and fun, but strangely, this isn't really the case. The game is quite fun for
    sure, but there's nothing new here, in fact it's just a walk down memory lane for most. Here's the problem;

1. The constant need to be on Battlenet even in Single Player is just plain annoying. I really don't want to be online for a single player adventure, what is so hard to understand? The Server problems isn't a big deal to be honest, but the need for a constant internet connection to battlenet AND the server problems just highlights the stupidity in the design decision.
    2. The lack of customization at the character screen. Seriously? just dyes to change the color of your armor?
    3. The lack of customization of the skill trees makes all the character classes, 'feel' the same, plays the same. One would think that after twelve years in development, some thought would have gone into it.
    4. The User Interface is a little wanting. Certain elements like the mini-map and the quest log actually blocks and detracts from the overall fight and gaming mechanics. For Range classes, you're constantly clicking into your mini-map or having to walk a couple of steps around to move the screen just to see what you're hitting and aiming at.

What was supposedly a 10 star game is now without 4 stars and I can only give this a 6/10 effort. Probably good enough for Kotick and gang.

It is now terribly obvious that this marriage between Activision and Blizzard is no good, and it's high time for a divorce.
  83. Jul 19, 2012
    This Game ist Very Bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  84. Xon
    Jan 25, 2013
    IGNORE THE HATERS

There is much to enjoy and admire in this game, if this is your cup of tea. personally, I've spent countless hours replaying the game with different characters.

I tried to play Diablo 2, but couldn't get into it. I haven't played any other dungeon crawlers. With D3 I hit the ground running and not once did I look back. It is game, not the cure for cancer. I had fun,
    perhaps you will too. Expand
  85. Nov 9, 2012
    Funny, I could have sworn I already reviewed this game. Anyhoo, I can only describe this game as a purchased virus. The few times I could actually play the game, every session was preceded by an hour of patch downloads. Now, I cannot use it at all. My account has been arbitrarily blocked more than once- This already happened to my WoW accout as well after I quit playing it for years. I spent way too much time trying to receive support since you need to log in to their crap for EVERYTHING. I refuse to MAIL them a copy of my driver's license or PURCHASE their authenticator to "avoid issues" such as this. When I had finally had enough of the ridiculous hoop jumping I went to uninstall everything Blizzard but their uninstall program does not uninstall the game- it just takes the shortcut off the desktop. Nice! This company should be the target of a class-action lawsuit. Their business strategies are nothing short of CRIMINAL. The game itself isn't horrible, but definitely not worth all the headaches to keep it going. It's like dealing with the DMV. I just want it OFF my system. I am done with everything Blizzard. Torchlight 2 is the way to go. Expand
  86. Sep 17, 2013
    The implementation of the auction house and real money auction house destroys the fun for me. This is a poor idea, which destroys the excitement of finding something truly awesome after a long grind. There is nothing about this experience that can even come near the feeling you got in Diablo II, when finding a high level green item. All the super graphics, the smooth 3D engine, the nice music, and decent voice acting is all for nothing.
    Completing the game takes just a few hours, and after that, you are stuck with a pointless grind,
    which rewards you with absolutely nothing.
  87. May 15, 2012
    I think the way reviews for good scores are written here that half of them are Blizzard employees...lol

Seriously though I expect waaay more from Blizzard, it makes me think they will butcher "heart of the swarm" as well.
    My how the mighty have fallen.
  88. May 16, 2012
    Really am shocked most of these negative reviews are not talking about the actual game. Lets all just give it 0's or 1's based on that first day problem. Firstly I have played Diablo since the beginning. I remember picking up the original many years ago and being surprised and excited at just how good it was. Diablo 2 was no exception. My favorite game ever made, it surpassed everything that I thought when it was released. Still have my collector's edition of that. Everything about Diablo 2 improved upon the first game and made it a hell of a lot of fun. Especially the environments and story. With Diablo 3 the bar was pretty high I must say. At first glance I was unsure about the whole thing. The graphics, the story, the new talent system. I really was hoping it would go in the same way as Diablo 2, keeping those dark environments, traditional heaven and hell graphic style, and improve upon the story and talents. Well finally Diablo 3 is released and to my surprise its actually very very good. At first I admit I was a troll, always putting it down for the typical view on the graphics. But actually playing it for quite a while I noticed that it exactly does what it was meant to do and that is improve upon each game and make it unique in its own right. The environments are fantastic. Act 2 being my favorite. The combat I especially love. Its fast paced and the powers each class gets are really enjoyable to use. So has all this time that has passed been good to us fans then in the form of this game? I would say absolutely. However what makes me give it an 8 is a few minor things and one major thing. First the minor things.. the graphics can be a bit uneven because of physics involved..I noticed it did slow down my computer sometimes. This can be adjusted of course in the graphics menu. Next the chat window font size really hurts the eyes and could use a font size option. Next gripe is not having a main capital area for players to hang out in. This would give players a chance to communicate and check out gear etc. Another minor gripe is a few graphical glitches and bugs that sometimes spring up, I had my toon jump back a few times (hopefully not from lag) and a few visual problems. Finally Diablo looks skinny as a rail...what happened to the lord of terror?.

The major gripe is the online connectivity and these errors we got on launch day. No game where you pay 60-100 dollars should lock you out. Blizzard has been irresponsible for changing an original single-player game into a game where you HAVE to be connected constantly. When I first started playing I want to play solo so not giving players the option is a really bad move. This also brings up those problems we all had trying to connect. Error after Error. Blizzard who are one of the richest developers has no excuse for allowing this to happen. While other countries have no problems we are left sitting at home being forced to enter our password a million times. Its just appalling to say the least. Give us a offline mode please!. All in all Diablo 3 has met my expectations greatly and I am so far loving every minute of it. Customization of character looks would have been nice but once you start wearing armor its no big deal. The combat is fast and furious. Dialogue really interesting (female monk is in my opinion the best character in the game and her voice actress does a terrific job) and story continuing Cain's fairytale. I also have to say the collector's edition is one of Blizzards best. They did a fantastic job on it. I would definitely recommend the game. Its one of the best titles so far to come out this year. Were all annoyed by the launch day problems and this stuff really shouldn't happen but if we can get by that you will realize a game that is a joy to play and continues the Diablo tradition.
  89. May 20, 2012
    The game is really great, the graphics are good compared to the requirements. Don't let these guys fool you, I've spent a lot of time playing it with my friends and we're soon lvl 60! People hate on Diablo, because in the first days, there have been some problems to log in(which is understandable, with so many people playing it. It's stupid how people can't wait for like a day to play the game. I'd recommend this to everyone who likes to play a game where, co-op, single-player and pvp is mixed together into awesomeness. Remember guys this isn't Diablo 2, it's Diablo 3. Expand
  90. May 7, 2014
    Just ignore all the haters, this is an awesome game. Great gameplay, nice story and I love the new skill system. Definitely the best game in the series and now that all the connection errors are gone it's definitely a 9/10
  91. Jan 20, 2013
    It has had a terrible launch, no PvP, broken balance, fairly short campaign, mediocre storyline (some enemies have ridiculous combination of powers, like super speed, invisibility, teleportation and high damage attacks and there's completely useless skills in later difficulties), and I'm not even taking into account the *always online* requirement DRM, and modding not being allowed for it. One of the things that kept diablo 2 alive is being outright banned? To hell with this franchise. Its obvious Blizzard cares more about WoW. I'm going to find a better hack n slash game. Path of Exile is coming out soon. Expand
  92. Dec 28, 2012
    I personally enjoyed this a lot for the time I played it. It's not as addictive and re-playable as Diablo 2, and it doesn't offer the variety of environments and loot to be found in it's biggest competitor Torchlight 2, but it's still very well done. Most of the complaints I hear are either technical issues that have been resolved or players disagreeing with specific new mechanics. The worst of them is the introduction of the Auction House that makes it too easy to get much better loot by cash or gold purchase instead of earning it through gameplay like it was in D2 and like it is in Torchlight 2. The difficulty has clearly been tweaked around the idea that the game has to be challenging for people who will buy the best gear right at the beginning of Inferno, and that crippled the game's playability for those wanting to do it the old fashioned way. I think any ARPG fan will have fun up to Inferno difficulty regardless. It's just up to you if it's worth tolerating the problems after that point, but you've already played through the story multiple times to get that far. Expand
  93. May 18, 2012
    OK, this is a reworked review from the one I originally posted, although it is still a 10, it is a 10 with much more deserving. Let's begin by putting the horrors of the first two days behind us, and now that we are, for the most, able to login, the game plays very well, with some slight improvement on the latency, it would be fantastic...................Graphically the game is pleasing in the most part, and at some points quite amazing. I game on a 5 year old machine with a trusty old Q6600 cpu at 2.8ghz, just 4GB of DDR2 RAM, and an almost stock 6850 card. I play at 1920x1200 with everything on high but without anti-aliasing. I get 60 FPS pretty much everywhere, with a rare bit of stuttering which players on the very latest equipment are also reporting. I can turn on the AA, but I don't want to push my luck, and the game looks great without it anyway................... As far as audio is concerned, I didn't see much in the way of options for this apart from the usual sliders, I didn't see any settings to accomodate my 5.1 surround headphones, but I'll forgive Blizzard for that..............On to the gameplay. This is pretty much a tried and tested format as far as the basic mechanics go, and anyone who has played previous Diablo games or games like Titan Quest, and other games in the same vein over the years will feel comfortable with the "pick up and play" format that comes with isometric action RPGs........... The encounters in the game are decent enough with a wide variety of mob types, and the random element in the layout of various zones give you a refreshing crawl each time you play through them - and you will want to replay them as with the random layouts come random dungeons with various bosses in most of them. You will need to do these not only for the odd bit of XP grinding if you want to play that way, but also to complete the many, many achievements that come with the game for you to complete...................Last of all the storyline. It's a fairly common story for Diablo games, and your task is basically to destroy the devil to restore peace in the world. The story is told with a lot of panache and style, and you can get a feel for the lore by collecting the various journals lying around which are all fully fleshed out with vocals. Which is a good thing because some of the times you collect them you have no time to read the dialogue with it, and if I did have a gripe with this, then it is the fact that when you pick up a journal, a third of your screen is immediately taken up with the text which is being read out to you, which usually means you have to quickly close it down if you are in the middle of a tough fight...............................So, as far as giving the game a 10 out of 10 goes, well, in this day and age, what does it take to make a game a 10? quite a lot really, and even though the four acts the first time around will give you about 20-30 hours of gameplay for a player who wants to take everything in at a reasonable pace, repeating the game on nightmare and the subsequent crazy difficulty levels will have you coming back for more. Add to this an Auction House for you to trade your unwanted items, or to buy some yourself, provides even more excuses to waste your weekends behing your screen. Blizzard plan to go live with a real currency version of the Auction House in the coming couple of weeks, and you just know there will be people prepared to spend real money for some of the more sought after Legendary Items. So, enjoy the game and make a bit of cash on the side to boot! Lets just hope Blizzard make a few expansion packs like they did with previous incarnations to keep everyone happy..................Diablo 3 is here! It's been 12 years in hiatous, and its great! Go and buy it! Expand
  94. May 20, 2012
    TLDR: Great game, some release issues. Most polished, deep and captivating aRPG ever released. Will be hard for PoE, Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2 or others to match this one. Not revolutionary in much, but everything it does have works and works EXTREMELY well.

Now if you can be bothered reading a wall of text and want more:

Have just finished Act 1 on Normal. Another 3 Acts to go before
    I get into Nightmare mode! This is an incredibly fun and addictive aRPG. A lot of depth that will not even become available to you until you are 20+ hrs into the game. I've only played it for 8 hrs but that was enough to get a feel for the barbarian class. If you like these kinds of games then this is more of the same with an added dash of love and awesomeness. The challenge does ramp up and yes it's a clickfest and gear stat driven game, but it works and the story is good enough to pull you along. Voice acting is spot on. Music is incredible. The amount of variation in level design and enemy design is VERY VERY good for how rich and detailed the game world is. especially compared to other aRPGs. I am knocking off 1 point for the painful release servers and another point for the annoying always-online DRM, but would quickly add back 1 point if the latency I was getting wasn't > 200 ms with some noticeable server stutter at times (this is more likely due to me being in Australia and having to play on 'the Americas' servers... than anything wrong with the netcode which seems fine. I actually hardly notice the latency except maybe once or twice an hour).

Auction house is very easy to use, has good search functionality and I was able to sell equipment and buy stuff that I wanted easily. Very fluid system. No issues. I think this adds great replayability and what not to the game. Also the ability to created socketed items and move the gems around is really nice as I'm no longer worried about breaking gems and losing things that took forever to earn. Also this is really good for creating alts as you'll be able to start them with a set of full socketed gear to give them a huge DPS advantage in the early levels and get through it quick.

Achievements are not normally my thing, but in a game like this they feel akin to the achievements in TF2, where you've always got something random to work towards and it's just another fun diversion during the chaos of battle.

Dungeon design - I am IN LOVE with the dungeon design. The worst dungeon design i have seen in my life was Dragon Age 2. Bioware, play this game, they have randomly generated dungeons with repeated art assets and I'm YET to feel like I'm in the same dungeon ever. Nailed it Blizzard! Halls of Agony were EXCELLENT.

Multiplayer - easy enough to get into, found my friends nicely. Works. No issues.

9/10.
  95. May 22, 2012
    Game is great! But dictating when I am allowed to play it is not worthy of a single point. If Blizzard wishes to force us to login to the game then as a consumer I expect Blizzard to be online when I wish to play Diablo III.
  96. Jun 11, 2012
    The youtube videos of what Blizzard said was going to be Diablo3 are just complete lies and should be sued by many for false advertisement. All the slowly released videos to get you hyped up are completely non existent in what is Supposedly "Diablo3". Sad

Well I have to be applaud Blizzard in all reality. From a business stand point it would seem like you're on the perfect track to make
    the shareholders at Activision very, very pleased.

You've taken a game with so much hype built around it, a game with a rabid and wildly large fan base, a game vaulting off of the massive success of the previous generation - and you've turned it into your sacrificial lamb.

I understand that WoW is dying. The cash cow that you have been able to depend on to fill your coffers is finally drying up. It had a great run. MoP is not likely to defibrillate the failing heart of what was once the WoW empire, and you know this. Starcraft 2, while an amazing game, cannot replace this cash cow - then again it wasn't meant to. How could it? Your business foresight is very, very attuned. Because of this you carefully planned your next chess move: Diablo 3.

What better way to birth another golden goose than to bank an entire game off of the most addictive part of what Diablo 2 was: the item grind. Pure brilliance. And so, from the ground up, you formed this game to be solely about item exchange - this would be the titan built to replace WoW's subscription based bankroll in the form of micro transactions.

Except one thing: you're boring.

On May 15th 2012, after nearly a decade of anticipation, we were given Diablo 3! Except, it's not quite Diablo 3. It's a slimmed down, cut up version of the Diablo 3 everyone was taught to expect. Except, it wasn't given to us, we still had to pay you full price for it: $60.
    So where's the beef? - some might say. The beef is that this is not Diablo 3, this is an imposter. A hologram. An artificial replacement. A lame duck substitute for what hype built it up to be. A cut up and slimmed down version of what should have been. In essence: a slaughtered, sacrificial lamb.

That leaves myself and thousands of others saying indeed, where is the beef? Blizzard's answer: there is no cow level. But hey, we got rainbows and unicorns!

Is anyone still in complete denial about how truly boring this game is or have people started to shake off the honey moon dust?

You eliminated enchanting, PvP, pet companions and other things from the release version so that you could market it as part of a later expansion for more money. (This is a trend in gaming that several developers have been following; withhold content you've been advertising for the past two years and charge a premium for it at a later date. I shouldn't have expected Activision-Blizzard to be any different, and that is my fault. I wrongly assumed this group was made of trend setters and leaders, not followers - so shame on me.)

You didn't include a single player mode because you can't make money off of people if they aren't using the AH in a multiplayer format. Less work for you in the development stages, and forces people to engage in the micro-economy that your bankroll is based on. Again, brilliance. Which leads me to my final point:

There is so LITTLE dynamic to this game I cannot believe it took this many years to create it. In fact, I don't. So why the long wait? I'll tell you: economic law.

More specifically, the legality and complications that stemmed from the idea of a multinational game built around a Real Money Auction House. This process, I imagine, took years to iron out - while the game itself probably took no more than a few actual working years to complete (and it truly shows).

It doesn't take an overly intelligent mind to figure WHY they would want to use a RMAH and get a cut of (a lot of) the transactions. That's fine. Here's the problem: you built the entire game around a pure gear grind, and then force that gear grind to revolve around the AH, specifically the RMAH. There is literally no other dynamic. When you build a game from a purely business stand point, you're not building a great game - and a great game this is not.

In conclusion, gamers, do you really want to spend your time on yet another slave-like gear grind? If so, eat your heart out. You'll find no better place to do it! If not, there are a plethora of other games out there much more deserving of your $60, I promise.

Diablo 3 was built around Activision's greed. Participate at your own will.

Gamers hold grudges and people aren't going to forget this disaster. If you obliterate your true fan base, the pillars of your success come falling soon after.

I give this post less than a few hours before it is deleted by Blizzard moderators. Can't have that bad flavor out there, can we? Truth hurts.
  97. Jun 9, 2012
    First the positives. First four cut scenes are amazing (last one is underwhelming). The epic feel that is present in those scenes is truly breathtaking and effort can clearly be seen. Graphics are not bad. I was expecting to dislike them because they were using the same point of view as previous Diablo games which were 12+ years old, but the game looks very nice, so much so that I would not mind seeing a real RPG (Baldur's Gate 3?) done the same way.
    Sound is very well done. Weapons and spell sound clean and you can really hear your attacks impact the targets.

The Bad
    Story is HORRID. BAD dialogue with bad voice acting. Bosses exist to keep monologuing telling you exactly what they plan on doing and where you need to go or what you need to do to stop them.
    Difficulty is a joke. First time through, in 15-20 hours you won't die unless you really screw up. Second time around you fight a particular kind of an elite unit which can be more difficult than any boss fight. Third time around you will struggle to kill anyone... until you visit AH and spend 1 hour worth of gold pickup and get some rare items your level, unlike the drops which 5-15 levels below your level, usually with stats that make no sense, in which case game becomes easy, save for few elite mobs which again, could be more difficult than any boss. AH which is so heavily saturated with gear that extremely good end game elites can be had for 2 hours of grinding.
    Game is just too unbalanced. I have read that the inferno is extremely difficult, which could be true, but in 38 hours and two complete walkthroughs through the game and a third one more than half done, I think I have had ~2 hours of what could be called balanced game. Rest of it was way too easy and couple of occasions where it was just broken.
  98. Feb 19, 2013
    Biggest disappointment in PC gaming world. Blizzard took the near-masterpiece of Diablo 2 and dumbed it down for the WoW generation that needs instant gratification in everything. The story is god awful, worse than the trash Hollywood puts out every day. The items system is terrible everyone wants the same main stat/ vit crit crit dmg on every item and there is no choice. The actual amount of content is ABYSMALLY small (about 6-8 hours of gameplay) which is then replayed over and over in higher difficulties. Most classes run the same 2-3 builds because everything else sucks. Maps have almost 0 randomization, putting a huge dent in the replayability value that Diablo 2 and any good ARPG is known for. Game STILL doesn't have a full PvP system as of this writing, outside of gimmicky "brawling". Blizzard tried to dumb the game down and make money, but the players showed them that Diablo 3 is nothing but a polished turd, even after all of the patches to improve the game. For fans of good ARPGs like Diablo 2 I would highly recommend Path of Exile it reminds me of playing Diablo 2 for the first time. Expand
  99. May 15, 2012
    Yet another game series has been killed off by the likes of casualization in the industry. At least they bothered to change it from being rated T to rated M, but that doesn't fix even half the problems this game has. My biggest problem were the visuals. How does Diablo 2, a pretty old game, look so much better than 3? The cartoony WoW artstyle doesn't fit at all, the textures and models are crap, and the lighting is absolute **** The graphics even get in the way of gameplay, sometimes during combat there are so many random spell/skill effects on the screen that I can't see what's going on. Auction house runs on real money and the game has been significantly dumbed down for idiots. Always-Online DRM wrecks any chance of single-player which is how I played the classic games for the most part. All in all terrible game, wouldn't play. Expand
  100. May 15, 2012
    More of a tech demo than an actual game. Game is short with no soul put into it. No stat distribution. Similar classes are nearly identical without many options to make you different than other players. Only 4 players can play in a game, and maps have checkpoints are are linear. The classes also lack polish. The witch doctor is a shell of what the necromancer used to be, and the monk is a poor replacement of the paladin. This is what happens when creativity is lost in making computer games. The whole game feels like it was made by an artist who was forced to paint something he didn't want to. This game is a waste of money, go play diablo 2. Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012