3.9

1. May 22, 2012
    Amazing game!
    Everyone giving it 0-3 points are just being petty. It does what it is set out to be. bucketloads of fun, killing and looting.
    AND ITS NOT DRM! its a clever online system. At least blizzard is trying something new, giving a FREE online platform that helps generate content, control looting and host co-op.
  2. May 23, 2012
    Amazing gameplay , Amazing storyline , Amazing graphics .
    only thing i would change is the side quests that are rare to find and quick wich i wish there was more of them . By adding side quests it'll become more free world game than just a storyline . better be changed in the DLC :
  3. May 23, 2012
    Game of the year for me. People who gave low scores mostly did so just because they could not log in the first few hours after release. Gameplay is fantastic. The more you play, the more you want to play.
  4. May 23, 2012
    I can't believe so many spoiled children lose their time registering here and give what has to be the largest collection of ridiculous and one-sided reviews on internet.
    First of all this game is not a RPG game, at least not in the classical definition of it so stop calling it like that; You can call it hack-n-slash or eventually action-RPG. I play it since the release and this game is by
    far the most addictive and beautifully crafted of its kind. The atmosphere and gameplay are close to perfection.
    Come on this is a Blizzard game ! Did you spend the last ten years in a hole ? You guys expect a BF3 quality game when Blizzard has shown to always chose cartoon-like graphics which do not require war-machines to run, in order to make their games accessible to the largest audience possible. And that's a good choice. The game runs like in a dream, not like most of the games being released recently which all need large patches 24 to 48 hours post-release because they are sold weeks too early.
    I see a lot of reviews describing bugs, but after 20+ hours of gameplay I still have to see one in game. Of course there has been this very much expected "37 error" for maybe 24 hours after the release but did you honestly expect anything else ? Blizzard runs what is by far the most popular on-line game in history (WoW). Don't you think they know how to deal with high load on servers, can't you just stop acting like spoiled kids and wait just couple of hours for the excitation to go down ? These reactions are just a shame...
    And for the so-called "simplification" of gameplay and skills, this was to be expected as well. If you play WoW the tendency exists since couple of years ( at lest the two last WoW expansions). Blizzard started with skill trees pretty much inspired from D2 and after some time (the two first expansions let's say) it was clear that this gives only the illusion of freedom. Anybody trying to play at least half correctly knows that each class or specialty has one or two optimum builds that gets posted all over the Internet and that 90+% of players end up choosing. Don't you think Blizzard collects stats about that ? So the fact that they reduce the skill trees to smaller ones but proposing more meaningful choices is here again a good choice. I am pretty sure that all in all D3 will exhibit more diversity in class builds than WOW or D2.
    And finally for the "Internet connection required" issue, I am pretty sure that it is linked to the fact that the real-currency auction house has to be kept protected at all cost and I am pleased the Blizzard's people are aware of it. The mob of short-sighted people posting here are criticizing the real-currency auction house, but can you blame Blizzard for wanting some control over an economy that WILL emerge from the game no matter what happens ? Think of the gold-selling chinese farmers you meet on almost every WoW server and you'll know what I mean.
    So you guys want a elitist hackable 2012 version of D2 with enhanced graphics...
    Thank god this is not what Blizzard gave us, bur instead one of the most enjoyable gaming experience in the last couple of years.
  5. May 23, 2012
    Absolutely love the game. The simplicity of this game, along with the social aspect, will make it a winner in the long term. The beauty of blizzard's games is revealed in end-game interaction, where a whole new experience manifests. PvP, gear-grinding, and the auction house as a model of an economy will drive the long-term user interaction. I believe this is a winner.
  6. May 23, 2012
    Diablo and Diablo 2 were huge parts of my childhood and were masterpieces of the gaming industry. Diablo 3 is no exception to the franchise. Gameplay is seemless, character building is versatile and items are as exciting to come by as cash on the street. I think people's criticisms about the always-on DRM are misguided. I think majority of gamers don't have a problem being online to play a game. Persistent characters and low chance of players cheating gives massive integrity to the game.

Overall D3 is probably the best thing that has happened to PC in the last 5 or 6 years.
  7. May 23, 2012
    I usually don't write reviews about games, but once saw the 4.1 user score for Diablo 3, I knew I had to say something. This game has been review bombed to high hell until it remains nothing but a smoldering crater. If you want proof, look at all of the 0 score reviews there are, it's over 1000. I'm intending for this to be an honest review, but still, this is a review, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pros:
    +Mechanics polished to a mirror shine
    + Loot hunting is fun as ever
    +Varied and interesting classes
    +Co-op is great
    +An improved skill system that does away with archaic tree skill systems
    +4 Different difficulties, 5 different classes, PvP teams with a starcraft-like progression system... you will be playing this game for a long time
    +Graphics that look modern, but still keep that Diablo guts'n'gore "charm"

Cons:
    -Story lacking slightly
    -Servers with high latency on release, made game unplayable to many people
    -Flawed loot system with legendary's being, most of the time, weaker than some blues
    -Melee classes slightly unbalanced in higher difficulty
    -Lack of a chat system, so community seems empty
    -PvP not available at launch
    -Always online DRM with no optional offline mode

To many, Diablo 3 is a series close to many peoples hearts. Since its introduction in the 90's, and subsequent refinement 4 years later, the game became a legend, but it has been MIA for more than a decade. With Diablo 3's announcement, the masses have been foaming at the mouth, waiting in anticipation for its release, but now that its out, does it hold up to a decade worth of hyping?
    In short, yes. Aside from some minor nitpicks, Diablo 3 improves upon Diablo 2 in almost every way.

The combat in Diablo 3 is the samestandard hack'n'slash isometric loot fest that the previous two were, but polished to a mirror shine. The production value shows that an immense amount of work has been put into it. The looting is addictive, as it should be, and getting that new item is still as thrilling as ever. The classes (Demon Hunter, Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Wizard, Monk) are incredibly varied, with a plethora of skills to use, and endless combinations to use, with several builds that are viable. Which segways into the next point.

The skill system is a massive improvement, not just over Diablo 2, but the whole franchise as a whole. Skill trees force a kind of pseudo-choice like system that in reality, forces you into cookie cutter builds, with only half the skills being viable. Runes only further diversify the system by modifying skills. For example, Bola Shot shoots a bola that wraps around the enemies head, then explodes, dealing splash damage. A rune called acid strike changes the skill into 3 bolas that deal acid damage. So there are several different ways you could build your character.

To many, this topic is very polarizing... the graphics. The graphics in this game are almost painting like in their presentation, and look very polished and genuinely unsettling in some situations. A desert with skeletons littering the landscape, a hell-like torture dungeon with the corpses of the victims still in their respected torture devices, it's all very well composed. I do have some minor nitpicks with the game though. The launch was rockier than the sheer side of a cliff, with error 3007 and disconnects plaguing the first several hours. Even now, the servers are high in latency, causing serious lag in situations with many enemies. Then the story... it isn't exactly high class literature, with most of the quest being "X magical artifact is causing Y disturbance, and we need to Z to obtain it" But, it works, and most people aren't buying the game for the story. The loot system also needs some reworking, as many times, legendary are lesser than their blue counterparts, and that needs to end. The feeling when you get a legendary should be that this item is incredibly rare and valuable, not just another item, doomed to a merchant's inventory. Melee classes need to be reworked as well, most importantly the barbarian. He needs some extra survivability in the higher difficulties to make him innately tanky. Maybe an extra 25% vitality bonus, or something along the lines of that.

Then the lack of a chat system (a'la starcraft 2) is missing, which makes the community seem very empty, but the starcraft 2 chat system wasn't available at launch either, so there will most likely be one implemented in the future.

Then the lack of the PvP system at launch, I know this isn't an integral part of the Diablo 3 experience, but it could be a great way to extend your play time.

Overall, Diablo 3 is a great game that doesn't deserve half of the flak it gets in the forums and on metacritic, with a few minor nitpicks that don't detract from the shine of this true gem. But then again, this is just my personal opinion, so let yourself formulate your own.
  8. May 23, 2012
    Just got to play it for a few hours before work and the game is great. /v/ trolls withstanding. Once all the people who haven't even tried the game die down the actual scores will come.
  9. May 23, 2012
    This is Diablo 3, and it's just as great as the previous two versions. I can see myself playing this game for several years, something that rarely happens. Some thoughts:

The new attribute/skill system is fine, and a big improvement over Diablo 2, where one wrong click could screw your character. Now I can experiment with different skill combinations, and select abilities situational.
    Also, I like the simplicity... two mouse buttons and a few hot keys is enough, no need for 30 key bindings like in WoW or other RPGs. This is hack and slay!!!

DRM/online requirement:
    I can understand that this upsets single players, but this was communicated long before the game launched, so you knew what was coming. For me, the long term motivation in Diablo 2 always came from being online, so in the end it makes no difference. The launch went as any reasonable person might expect. Within a week from launch everything seems very stable, so overall a good job. The graphics etc: Looks nice, maybe it could be a bit less resource hungry since the graphics are not exactly high end. More importantly, it runs natively on OSX! I would say that this game is perfect and just like I expected from Blizzard.
  10. May 23, 2012
    Am about 21hrs into the game, and am taking my time there is no need to rush on a game like this. I have been playing D2 for quite some time, and I was very excited when Blizzard announce the release date of Diablo 3. So far I say that this games deserves a perfect 10! The graphics a big improvement from previous games, the background, and sound really do stand out. The game does feel quite simplistic, but that's alright you know what they say "Easy to learn difficult to master. I did have 2x disconnecting problems, and a lag here an there but that's Blizzard, we talking about the game not the franchise. To be honest am not surprise with all of the connectivity issues people were having since D3 is the fastest game sold in 24hrs am pretty sure Blizzard was not prepared for flood of users. Overall am enjoying this game very much, I constantly read bad reviews, but they are ALL based on the Blizzard and NOT the game itself. Expand
  11. May 23, 2012
    The fundamental game play experience I've so far has been flawless. It's everything I expected from the sequel to Diablo 2. The skill system is refreshingly different than the over used skill point system. They've addressed all the flaws of Diablo 2, including monster immunities, and replaced it with an extremely challenging new enemy skill system. Other than the clumsy launch and the buggy auction house, this game is much more than i could have hoped for. Expand
  12. May 23, 2012
    First, all these people that think games are either 0's or 10's need to realize you are not helping the industry...not one bit. You want to keep seeing games get made? Give an honest assessment and leave the black or white mentality at home. All or nothing is out.

This is a very well made game. It is responsive, looks good, plays well together, and mostly intelligent AI. The game is
    just fun to play. It mixes things up just enough to make you want to play again. Just for being a fun title it gets good marks as that is the primary focus of a game....being fun.

The graphics are well made as well. They are high enough to look good for the perspective you are playing as well as keeping the game available to a variety of machines. PC gamers claim that they have better graphics capability and this is true. The problem is the disparity in systems. An Xbox is an Xbox. There are very few differences except in hard drive space. They are made (some with different hardware) to play at a specified efficiency and so the developer can target that making the game as efficient as possible. PCs are a different bag and you have to tone things down to get a larger market share. It's just the way it is and will be for the foreseeable future.

This is a game that has it all. There are a few annoyances like the music, while well done, is not really something that gets your blood pumping to fight demons when a huge battle is going on. The graphics are fine. The fun is high. The controls are responsive and well done. The skill tree is fine as well. Keep giving those 0s for no reason. It's like stabbing your friend in the chest for giving you something enjoyable. See if you get something again.
  13. May 23, 2012
    I just finished my first play through and enjoyed it alot. Now, playing on nightmare and still very much enjoying the game. Not sure why so many 0/10. I definately disaggree with that. I think the game deserves a 7.5-8 out of 10, but not 0. I've given it a 10/10 due to the unfair amount of 0s given here.
  14. May 23, 2012
    These user reviews are shameful and clearly false. 1/10 and 0/10, really guys...

All you are doing is ruining the credibility of this site and I hope these reviews are wiped. Onto the review, if you like Diablo 1&2, you will love 3. Nuff said.
  15. May 23, 2012
    I have sunk 50+ hours into this game and it is a great game. all of these people whining about launch day have no idea what they are talking about. yes it was annoying not being able to instantly log in, but now that the servers are stable and everything is working i am having a great time. the new skill select system allows for a lot of variety (i have multiple go to builds for different scenarios) and the story line while not the best will keep you entertained while you do what this game was made for, hack and slash some ****. and while i do agree that the real currency auction house is idiotic and no lan kind of sucks, none of blizzards most recent games have not needed online connection so you should have seen that coming. i give this a 9/10 because it is really fun and worth the money but it has a few bugs that need to be worked out. Expand
  16. May 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 delivers. It seems the popular thing to claim having played Diablo 2, but 12 years ago is quite a long time. If we jump in a time machine and punch in 12 years and revisit our much younger selves and load up Diablo2 and let us play for an hour then load up Diablo3 and let us play for an hour. After that ask our older selves what we want to play. I think my answer would be Diablo3.
  17. May 24, 2012
    Serwers problem -
    few glitches -
    All the rest is well
    A worthy successor that take many many hours from my life till now, and many hours remaining to take from me.
    I'm never been fanboy of Diablo games but D3 suck me in.
  18. May 24, 2012
    Game is absolutely amazing and addictive as hell. I will try to cover most of the complaints: 1. Internet connection I don't see how internet connection can be an issue in 2012 2. Skill and attribute points system That's the main improvement of the game 3. Graphics Simply amazing 3. Launch issues Give it some time, it's already a non issue. Also, knowing Blizzard you can be sure that the game will be getting patched and improved constantly. Expand
  19. May 24, 2012
    So far I'm around 3/4's of the way through Act II, and I'm loving the game so far. I don't understand why people are whinging so much if I'm honest. I'll agree, I hate the 'Always Online' bullcrap, but if its stops the pathetic world of duping/hacking the best gear in the game, I'm all for it.

For those of you complaining about how 'colourful' the world is, get over yourselves. There are
    far too many games nowadays who use a colour palette of grey and brown, its nice to see a developer injecting some colour into the world. [Make a comparison to the art/graphic style of Warcraft and I will smack you up the side of the head. Completely different development team, morons]

All in all, the game delivers what D2 had and more. I'm sorry if you stat/skill monkeys are upset, but at least now you don't have to google ULTIMATE CHARACTER STAT/SKILL SETUP and can actually make the sort of character you actually want to play, not a defined role for the best most possible damage output.
  20. May 24, 2012
    Exactly what I wanted out of a Diablo game. Loot. Monsters. Lots of them. The graphics are gorgeous - the whole game has a sort of painterly feel to it - as if I'm part of a dark gothic themed painting by an fantasy artist. The mechanics of the game work well, finally, it doesn't expect me to reroll my character if I misclick - and lets be honest, there was no customisation in 1 to 2 builds per class. D3 encourages experimentation, and in general - fun. The new random "Events" are a great deal of fun, and I'm hoping Blizzard will add more in future patches or expansions - and I do hope there will be a lot of them, in the time come come. This game is what I wanted out of Diablo 3 - An evolution of the series, a modern take on what made Diablo 2 great - Not a carbon copy of D2. If you want D2 all over again, this is not for you - If, however you want Diablo *3*, this is your game. Because it is truly worthy of that title. An evolution, just like D2 was compared to D1. Rock on, Blizzard. Expand
  21. May 24, 2012
    This game follows in the footsteps of Diablo 2 and does not disappoint. The story isn't amazing, but this is a great hack and slash, dungeon crawl game. The difficulty allows newer players to easily get the feel of the game, while the new skill system allows you to design your character to what fits your play-style. The graphics could have been a bit better in game, but most of the cutscenes look amazing. Expand
  22. May 24, 2012
    This is the best computer game I have ever played. I am appalled and disappointed at all the spoiled brats here giving the game a zero because the world wasn't hand-crafted just for them. They don't speak for true gamers who love to play instead of flame. The graphics are incredible, the sound design is engrossing, the music fits the level design and moods.. I enjoyed the story very much, the cutscenes are chilling. But MOST IMPORTANTLY: The game FEELS like Diablo. It's impossible to describe. My characters feel extremely powerful, but yet vulnerable. In the higher difficulties, I always have that feeling the original Diablo gave: I'm scared about what I might find around the next corner, but I have the courage to try. A+ Blizzard, you guys are amazing. Yes, there are some technical issues, but a release of this magnitude? That's to be expected. Those spoiled kids here, without maturity, patience or a decent handle on reality will give this game a low score. They do not represent the overwhelming majority of people who are loving this game right now. Expand
  23. May 24, 2012
    You people are on freakin crack. You let a game get you all hyped up more than even the best game out there should. This is a great game. Great story. I get the feel for diablo 3. I like the new system. I like the new features. Don't expect some orgasmic trip, but if you want a great video game, Diablo 3 is for you.
  24. May 25, 2012
    La digne suite de Diablo II, il ne mérite pas moins.
    La nécessité d'avoir une connection internet fait parti de l'évolution naturelle et logique des choses, c'est son plus gros point positif (sauf la première semaine de sorti, comme tout jeu en ligne).
  25. May 25, 2012
    I have logged around 65 hours into Diablo III, and while my binging has slowed down, I have yet to lose any enjoyment with this game. The reason I have been slowing down, actually, is because Hell has been giving me a bit of trouble, and I'm giving myself time to work carefully through it.

To start with, many of the systems have improved Diablo 2's archaic design, streamlining the
    experience and allowing for maximum fun with minimal hoops to jump through. Leveling from 1-60 is done much the same way as 1-99 in D2, by progressing from Act I to Act IV, and then starting Nightmare, and then Hell difficulties to finish reaching the max level. The difference is that Diablo 2 took a massive time investment and a tedious grind to actually achieve the level cap, whereas Diablo 3 allows you to reach 60 after playing through the three difficulties.

This speedier leveling system is mostly because of Inferno, a difficulty tacked onto the end of the game, designed to contain the best loot and the most challenging content. I, myself, have not reached Inferno mode, as I am only halfway through Hell, but I can say that I have heard terrifying things about how intense this new difficulty is. The visuals are crisp and smooth, and my computer can run it on its highest graphical settings without an issue. Skills are a joy to look at, a personal favorite of mine being "Electrocute", which is a wizard spell that is essentially Chain Lightning. The bosses all have interesting designs, most notably the final encounter of Act II, which brings a surprising amount of scale into the battle not seen in previous Diablo games. As always, the end of act cinematics are an absolute treat to behold, and even if you choose not to play the game, you should look them up somewhere to experience the incredible detail. Sound is satisfying, explosions, shattering stone and wood, and the screams of your conquered foes all filling your ears as satisfyingly as can be. The music is subtle at times, but fits the atmosphere as well as can be expected. The voice acting is especially satisfying, and I cannot find a character that speaks any differently than I would expect. The vocal shouts from Diablo 2 have returned, giving access to a quick method of thanking your allies, or calling for retreat, all given at least 2 variations to avoid endless spam of one phrase. Gameplay is, of course, the most important aspect of the game, and it is excellent. Each class plays very differently from one another, in my experience so far, and each have their pros and cons. The ranged classes are much "safer" in their damage dealing, but melee classes take 30% less damage by default to compensate for their playstyle putting them into the thick of things. The progression of skills and gear from 1-60 is wholly satisfying, as you will always be able to find an upgrade with each new level, whether through a drop in your own game, or through a fellow player that has posted an auction for an item you can't live without. The runes, similarly, unlock as levels grow. The game is designed in such a way that you will obtain a new skill, rune, or passive ability at least once with each level gained, so hitting that next benchmark is always a reward. The joy of random loot is a bit of a double-edged sword. Rare items can be either incredible or subpar, whereas the lesser version (Magic, with blue text) can often outdo the higher tier. While this may be frustrating to some, the concept makes it all the more satisfying when your rare item is rolled with your preferred stats in a high value, keeping the loot hunt constantly alive and invigorating. Thanks to the Auction House, even the items that roll stats you do not like can be turned into gold, and thus traded up to gear you would actually like.

There are many, many good things about Diablo 3. The gameplay is quick and rewarding, cutting down masses of demons and zombies as an unstoppable hero never gets old, and while the invincible feeling begins to wear off in Hell and Inferno, it is replaced with the satisfying feel of overcoming a challenging opponent that has a good chance of dropping some fairly stunning loot. I realize that many people are judging the game based on lag, and the always-online DRM, but it is not core to the gameplay, and while some people will see the lag and network issue as a dealbreaker, it can only improve with time, and in a few weeks I imagine that all of the issues can be resolved. I will not give the game a lasting score based on temporary problems, and many of the negative reviews on this site are being posted out of spite.

By no stretch of the imagination does Diablo III deserve a 0, or even a 5, based entirely on its own merits. As it stands, I am giving it a perfect 10, as I have already been given 65 hours of enjoyment, with many more hours to come.
  26. May 25, 2012
    While I find the items in this game a bit off I like quite a few of the changes they made. Blue items should NOT be better than rare and legendary but I like the new skill runes. Unlike D2 where you would level to 99 and not unlock new skills along the way getting to level 60 and learning a new rune along the way was a welcome change. Most of the people complaining enjoyed rushing characters to level 99 and PvPing like that was any fun..... Expand
  27. May 25, 2012
    Great game, hack and slash at its finest. Lots of skill combinations. Few server issues day 1 but its understandable with 4 million people trying to log in at the same time. Ever since day 1 however connecting has not been an issue. Difficulty ramps up over time properly, and gives good challenge. My account has not been hacked, with an authenticator, proper password management, and proper computer usage you shouldn't have a problem. This review is pretty much to balance the trolls. I hope everyone everyone is enjoying their miserable existence. I myself am going to go back to enjoying the game! Expand
  28. May 25, 2012
    The game is great, the gameplay is very tight and smooth. Right now their servers are in a slightly volatile state at the moment which is to be expected of any game launch with a large population. The balancing isn't perfect which is to be expected within the first week of the launch. But I have high hopes for where the this game is going. People forget that Diablo 2 took years to get to the state where people loved it. It wasn't until Lord of Destruction came out after they got a lot of feedback on Diablo 2 and the game just got more interesting and then when the synergy patch came out (1.10 I think?) it was like a brand new game. So I'm looking at this game as a long term investment with excellent short term benefits. It's a great game but the end game right now is hard for me to get into just because classes are being changed constantly for balancing and it's really hard to do anything in Inferno, the difficulty jump even from act to act is brutal. But honestly I haven't been so happy with a game in a long time. My first play through on Normal was phenominal for the story. As per usual the cinematics of the game blow anything else of this generation out of the water, and death animations of both regular monsters and bosses are astounding. Expand
  29. May 25, 2012
    Since I am a Blizzard fan boy anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said, however, I am appalled that so many users gave this game such a low score simply because they had server issues. Yes, the game was not playable for many of you at launch, but that does not mean it is not a good game. In fact it IS! Diablo 3 is a worthy successor to D2. The gameplay is as addictive as ever and the loot system keeps you coming back for more. Apart from its story, which honestly could have been much more engaging, this game is amazing! Donâ Expand
  30. May 25, 2012
    This was definitely worth the 11-12 year wait! After playing through the normal difficulty it feels like the Diablo franchise we all know and love, yet Blizzard was able to still put a fresh spin on things. My only beef with the game is that the legendary items can be somewhat disappointing when you find yellows or even blues that are even better. Many people complained about the bugs or the login issues the first day, this is expected new games always have wrinkles to iron out, but overall this is a game well deserving of a 10! Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012