3.9

1. Oct 24, 2014
    This game is so flawed that it actually needed an auction house component to be playable. Since that component has been removed, the game is beyond redemption. It deserves the trash can. An embarrassment to the Diablo name.
  2. Oct 22, 2014
    Many of the poor reviews on this game are from launch era gamers. The game has since improved and with the new expansion the game is finally where it needed to be. Everything that fan of the series could want and more. Great for avid and casual gamer's alike. Simple game dynamic for casual players and complex crafting with a very smooth learning curve and excellent game world make this a no-brainer if you're in the market for an adventure game. It make catch flak from the hardcore stat crunchers of the World of Warcraft players but this game has a nostalgia and honesty that cannot be truly hated by any level of gamer. Plenty of action once the game ends unlocking new modes and challenges while getting to keep your character. Expand
  3. Oct 17, 2014
    Its hard to give fair score to this game, but ill do my best. First of all, I bought it to have some fun and earn some cash. At start the game wasnt as good as i thought, but the ah aspect was quite ok, and i got my money back (for the game and the laptop i bought to play it so + for that aspect).
    Graphics - quite nice, run on a fine engine, it took some time for me to accept a bit less
    climatic enviroments and a bit uninspired settings but overall strong 7/10.
    Audio - sounds/voice acting are top notch (10/10) but music is waaay worse than the first diablo (id give it 1/10 - cant remember even one theme). So id be 6/10.
    And finally lets get to gameplay - its way more dynamic, than previous settlements but its also dumbed down. No matter how hard blizzard tries to change ballance, You alway search for items witch 1-2 specific bonuses (like attack speed, critical hit chance/damage). ITS JUST BORING. In previous DIABLO You had way more options to build Your characters, now You must do it this one specific way or Your avatar will just suck compared to the ones using "best build". Its just plain bad concept. The problem is, this was made to cash in from auction house which was fine option but now it is removed so we got really broken product.
    To sum things up: gameplay is quite addicting but overall You fell like playing unfinished product and for that it misses perfect score by a mile.
    VERDICT: Good game, but it seems after years of draining cash from WOW fans Blizzard lost its touch. 7/10
  4. Oct 11, 2014
    This game was ... Good. But (and lets all be honest with ourselves) it could never live up to the Hype. Unfortunately it didn't even live up to other games in the Genre. Torchlight 2 at launch had game play elements and abilities that were only recently added in patches 2.5 years after launch. Diablo 3 only trumps Torchlight 2 on graphics and cut scene/story quality...

If you are a die
    hard dungeon crawler fan, this game isn't bad... now (2.5 years later)... but if you are looking to get into dungeon crawlers go for Torchlight 2. Cheaper and better. Expand
  5. Oct 4, 2014
    Everything has been already said. Fortunately i have not bought this game, just played beta and in 1 free beta weekend and i knew this game is gonna be bad. Released 11 years after D2 LOD, and it's cut. It doesnt even contain half of old game features, and these are the most important things like skill tree, attributes points and so on. D3 is designed just to GRIND, just like WOW, you walk milion times to kill the same bosses and get items, yeah i know D2 was about this too, but there you could build characters in milion diffrent ways, playing sorcerer with two-handed axe if you want. This was freedom, And what about D3? Click on monster, kill it, get items and thats basicly it, nothing more. It maybe fun to play with friends, beat all levels and stuff, but what then? Uninstall. I have not been that disappointed in a loong loong time. Expand
  6. Oct 3, 2014
    I'm a fan of Diablo 2 and many of the Diablo 2 clones largely because they're all similar while Diablo 3 have added a bunch of features to try stand out and by doing so have turned it into an ugly, casual baby game. The franchise once known for witchcraft, demons and gore isn't even rated an 18+ anymore! Blizzard are well aware their fans from World of Warcraft will buy any cash in they throw at them but this time have made the game exceptionally easy to keep them playing to milk them for more money with the ridiculous ingame cash shop. The cash shop being the biggest reason this game is getting a big fat zero from me. Cash shops are only allowed in games that didn't cost anything to play in the first place and even then should only sell cosmetic items while with Diablo 3 not only are they over charging for a PC game they're going to push players into continuously spending a lot of money to buy the best weapons which will kill any fun or motive to dungeon crawl to find loot which is exactly what these games are all abou Expand
  7. Sep 29, 2014
    very good gameplay and the graphics are realy good, beter than any other hack and slash like poe. enough classes with lott of different skills to try to find the one you like for different situation, and the game isnt repetitive like other games like you just kill 1 single boss for days to get some items
  8. Sep 15, 2014
    Let me start by saying I made a Metacritic account JUST to make this review.

I've been a Diablo fan since the release of the original Diablo. I've been a Blizzard fan since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. I bought this game based on the opinions of fellow friends that seemed to have good taste in gaming. Many people praised it's incredible gameplay, awesome multiplayer action that would
    extend for days beyond it's release.

When I first started, the plot seemed exactly what I wanted. The hero is almost immediately involved, checking out the damage done by the meteor that hit the hall. As the cutscene continued, the dialogue kept losing credibility, lots of gaps were made in the unholy plot and the writing was definitely written for a 5th grade audience. These were things I kind of expected. I read a few of the books after playing diablo 2 and they were good when I was a teenager. But this plot? Jesus, don't get me started. I actually spent a good while laughing at the crummy dialogue.

Let me tell you this plot is pretty basic and extremely lackluster compared to the previous two. I beat the game, not once was I hooked or compelled by the story. I don't know how they managed to write such a mediocre plot within YEARS of development. This game is f*cking atrocious in far more aspects than just story, however.

Lets list the problems with the gameplay. First, the skill tree doesn't really require you to know what synergy is. It's practically non-existent. When I first started playing, the visuals were pretty astonishing, but that's not saying much. It looks like WoW that takes place in a graveyard/hell/whatever halloween-related **** setting. It wasn't even mildly horrific. So, then you go on to complete somewhat mundane quests, following the path that blizzard set out for you. The plot line is linear, but even MORE linear than the second! You literally have a check list of things they want you to do and procedurally go through them mindlessly. Normally, I can dig it. It's just the story left such a **** taste in my mouth that I got bored by the third act! I decided to push further, just to beat the game to give a holistic response to this game.

Also.. The BUTCHER? In DIABLO 3? A reused character? Laughable. At least the bosses in D2 were unique and interesting (not to mention, characterized to the setting..)

Items... Let's look at how uncharacterized the items are. Everything boils down to Damage, toughness, healing. This is the naive approach. However, it does delve deeper than that. What's with the ridiculous stat increases? It's unnecessary and makes it slightly harder to estimate. Loot is pointless. There's no dynamic character building because your character gets all the f*cking skills. What's the point? I hardly want to perfect ONE character, much less several different characters that have unique attributes (BECAUSE YOU CAN'T).

No chatrooms. Awesome. One of the most memorable things about Diablo/Starcraft is gone. How did this sound like a good idea? Just make it an option for people who want it.

No making games with actual NAMES to join. Another non-intuitive thing blizzard made by REMOVING features. When is removing features a feasible options to improve a game? It's almost comical.

I don't know if I covered everything about this game that I dislike. I think I threw in a few redeeming qualities but it wasn't much.

Bottom line is, I don't give two sh*ts whether or not your servers work the first time I log in or not if the gameplay is horrid. The fact people are rating this game on that is absolutely absurd to me.

Also, Blizzard fanboys are blinded to crappy games. Not my problem anymore.
  9. Sep 15, 2014
    My all time favorite game is Diablo 2. So coming from that game, I was expecting Diablo 3 to be something at least equally as amazing, or better. Well, as it turns out, it was a huge disappointment, even after giving it a BIG chance playing the game entirely from beginning to end. Here's what I noted:

CONS
    - The game is way too easy on normal. I did get very lucking finding magical
    items that gave me a combination of very high intelligence, vitality, and life regeneration (so my character was practically immortal and very strong). I think the inherent problem here is that the guys at Blizzard didn't think things through all the way and didn't correctly balance out character stats vs AI stats, making it extremely easy to kill AI monsters when increasing certain character attributes. In Diablo 2, even when finding very powerful weapons and armor, you still had a hard time killing bosses and such on Normal mode. In this game, I literally killed Diablo in 60 seconds.
    - Music was weak. Although a very minor detail to most, I feel like the soundtracks throughout gameplay in Diablo 2 were alot better and gave the game a very different feel, more mystical and creepy.
    - The cinematics weren't amazing (except for the one for the last Act, which was impressive). In Diablo 2, I remember feeling thrilled watching every cinematic for each Act.
    - I think it was so stupid not being able to use my equipped weapon. You're always forced to use your Left or Right mouse buttons for a specific skill you choose, and your weapon's damage is the determining factor of how much damage your skill does. That's stupid. You should be able to use your weapon freely, and it should have its own damage, and your skills should have their own damage and you should be able to use those separately.
    - I thought the characters looked pretty weak. I selected a wizard, and my character just looked like an adolescent. In Diablo 2, I remember the necromancer looking strong and powerful in the character selection screen (again, probably for minor detail for some, but for me it was just another little thing that showed me there was lack in attention to detail in this game).
    - Big lack of content. I was able to beat this game very quickly and go through the Acts fast. I feel like Diablo 2 had alot MORE maps and places to go in every Act.
    - Having to be always online to play the game was a HUGE mistake. I have one of the fastest internet service packages on the market, and even with that I still experienced lag many times while playing the game. It was extremely annoying hitting barrels and watching it shatter 10 seconds later.
    - I don't like that you couldn't really increase your Arcane Power (which used to be your Manna). Sometimes, you would find loot that would alter it by a couple points, and leveling up never increased it. Thats just stupid. A wizard, which is what I was, should have very high Arcane Power, Low Health points.
    - You never really used potions here. Minor detail, but I liked how Diablo 2 had a wide range of potions you could use for different benefits. Here, non-existent, just a Health Potion you rarely used because either your equipment gives you insane amount of health regeneration or theres tons of health globes laying around (I didn't like the health globes).

PROS
    - Graphics are an improvement.
    - Being able to remove gems from socketed items is an improvement, as well as combining gems to craft better gems. Huge plus.
    - I like that you were able to craft items using an Artisan, which before, in Diablo 2, was only restricted to the Horadric cube. Even though most of your good items will be found in loot, I was still able to craft 1 armor item that was better than what I currently had equipped.

I will say this, is the game entertaining? Yes. Is it better than many other games out there (because I do think alot of games out there in the world are just crap)? Yes. Is it worth the buy? Sure, but don't expect this to be as good as Diablo 2, because it really isn't.

I will finish by saying this, and I hope the guys at Blizzard see this. I am truly disappointed that after making millions of dollars and having had so many years to develop a good game, that Blizzard deviated so far from the original game. You should really stick to the basics to what made a previous game amazing, and not try to reinvent the wheel, just improve on things, not completely change it.
  10. Sep 10, 2014
    This is one of the worst games in the last decade. To give you an idea how broken Metacritic review system is: Over 5 thousand people logged into this site to warn you how bad this game is and that doesn't effect the "Metascore" at all. Instead it is currently rated 88 with only 1 negative review, Metascore is a separate reality. I would suggest ignoring it and reading user reviews.`
  11. Sep 5, 2014
    12 years on and Blizzard is still only able to take a step in the wrong direction.

Perhaps it could be said Diablo 3 is so bad because Diablo 2 was so good, but it seems so much effort was put into recreating a "new" and easy to play version of Diablo 3, that the developers lost sight of what really matters for video gaming, fun.

The writing and the story are absolutely terrible, the
    loot was poorly designed, the procedural generation has too many static elements for fun variation, the boss fights aren't particularly exciting, and the advancement skill gap at higher levels is stupidly unbalanced and made the actual viable class/skill choices terribly narrow.

The RMAH ended up not working for them at all, except for the reasonable amount of money it made Blizzard with huge fees. Honestly it was decently fun to use and I'm sure some people farmed, or bought all their items. And maybe the RMAH Gold Hall were used more than was intended, but honestly, trading was always a big part of original Diablo because there were actually items worth getting and things worth crafting.

Now even that's going away. Instead of taking the time to remove a feature, maybe take some more time to make an actual game. 12 years obviously wasn't enough.
  12. Aug 22, 2014
    "Diablo Online" should be called instead the shameful "3" that ruins the saga, it was meant to be played by a massive casual market, even most of the high scores to this game are based on "how good was simplified to all audiences" ignoring that this used to be a hardcore franchise. Also have lost features! There aren't stats, skill tree, lan, offline... how can be "good" a game who offer less than its predecessors? And new features was only to destroy the playability like real money, while new features that could improve the game like mod support were discarded... the shameful casualization of Blizzard. Expand
  13. Aug 11, 2014
    I remember my hp having a RPG similar to Diablo3. the greater differences however is that the hp game had more; character classes, actual character customization, it was FREE!,The list could go on Diablo 3 is a bastardization of what a good game should be, and i am ashamed that i spent any money buying a copy.
  14. Aug 8, 2014
    Short serious review-opinion: (First about me) I have played Diablo 2 Lod for about 10 years, played every character, loved story and its feel. I am truly hardcore fan.
    (REVIEW:) THIS GAME IS FLAWLESS. Except - DRM, and thankfully, it is GONE. Now, nothing can compare to it, because it is child of Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction and gentlemen, it is true child and hold up its name despite
    haters all around... Long Live the Diablo! Expand
  15. Aug 5, 2014
    As a huge fan of first 2 Diablo games I bought this the moment it was released and I was basically disappointed on every level. While I finished the game and I enjoyed the ride a bit, it took me 2 days and I never had a feeling I should go through it again, or even try out different classes. I finished first 2 Diablo games like 50 times replayed them to death simply because it was so amazing, addictive, fun and just extremely replayable, but Diablo 3 lacks all that magic. I never had an urge to go back and through that again. Maybe it's the kiddie colorful visuals, gone is the darkness of the first Diablo, it kills all the atmosphere and where is that cult music? Diablo had one of the best soundtracks ever created for a videogame and Diablo 2 was also fantastic. I don't remember absolutely anything about the music in Diablo 3, so bland, average and completely forgettable. It seems mostly new team consisting of very different people compared to previous games were responsible for creation of this and it definitely shows. This is leagues worse than previous games from the series. Also, if you add that always-online DRM bs that Blizzard pulled off, you get the urge to go to red numbers with the final score, but I'm trying to stay objective, the game wasn't really all that bad, but it just wasn't even nearly as good as previous Diablo games, not even close. 5/10 Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2014
    The game is nowhere near what Diablo 2 was. The action is too spectacular, even at level 1 you're making visually incredible attacks.
    Also, the game is dumbed down like hell, you can't make mistakes whatsoever, so don't think, just play... If you want a fire mage, go for it, no problem, if you want an ice mage, just change your skills, nothing chains you in any way, it's like none of your
    actions make a lasting impact, you can't specialize a character besides equipment.

The other major fault of the game, in my opinion, is that you can't really think about how to play, if enemies are too strong, they always kill you, you can't think of ways of getting away with it because when you start attacking an enemy you're stuck with it, it will follow you everywhere and most of the times the only way of healing yourself is hitting enemies, so you die if you stop hitting but you die if you keep hitting, there's never a way to escape, so you don't actually get to choose anything, things just happen...

To sum up, if you want a game where you don't have to think of anything, just spend some time watching effects, this is ideal.

If you want your decisions to make an impact whatsoever, just stay away from this, because the few decisions you can make, won't even have an impact.
  17. Jul 31, 2014
    After the newest patch and the closure of the auction-house, Diablo 3 is finally playable! (at least when they don't screw with their servers and you are not allowed to play the game you payed for).

The Drop-Rate is ... now more fluid. I don't know if its really better, there are too much golden Items in my opinions and I had a run where I found 3 legendaries in a simple run. Rewarding?
    Yes, of course but it lessens the worth of it.

The game itself deserves a good 8.0 or at least a 8.5. Its addicting like you would expect and the interactions between the characters (the dialogues) are often nice to hear. THe rest ius common and masterful created addiction for slay and loot.
    The "new" implemented "Paragon-Level" allows you to set your skill-points freely and the rune-Skill-system is still a very nice Idea for switching and testing a mindblowingly number of Skill-Sets!

The music is... unfortunately very forgettable and boring. It sounds like the Soundtrack to a Michael-Bay-Film without the extreme fine nuances and atmosphere-pumping originality of the Diablo 2-Tracks.
    It is even more a regrettable decision by blizzard to implement this trumped-flat-bore-Music-track (that you will hear in every other "big bugdet"-title nowadays), because ALL people I know turned the music down after max 2 weeks. It's a shame that there is no way to implement the great Soundtracks of Diablo 2 or Warcraft (yes, these fit surprisingly well!).

Like I said: The game itself deserves a nice amount of applause. The rest of it - especially the poor support! deserve a hateful middlefinger!
    Direct Support for Connection-Errors, Suggestions or Mod-Support (I know... what where I thinking?) or other simple questions are IMPOSSIBLE to get!
    the "Support"-Site is a Joke, you are always redirected to the forums where other people already opened similar questions and waiting for help until no help arrives and their Topic gets closed! Critical topics are getting deleted of course. In one word: Censorship.

It's sometimes hilarious to watch how the community gets shat in the face and foced to eat the dump, but rages against the people who don't want to get treated like cattle. So, the community and the company are nearly the worst I have met in my entire lifetime (nearly horrid as the CoD-Kiddies).

I am very glad the game was a gift and it didn't cost that much.

Oh wait... did I mention the overprized DLC?! A DLC that is MORE EXPENSIVE than the main-game?!
    Unbelievable!

And the award to the most hostile and greedy Company goes to... EA.. .. I meant: Blizzard!
    **** YOU **** No more money from me!
  18. Jul 28, 2014
    Blizzard, as it was in the past, is probably the best developer in understanding the market trend and taste of players all around the world. Diablo 2 is the master piece in its era, and I would say, Diablo 3 is the master piece of ARPG nowadays.

Some will complain about the simplified mechanics in this game. Let's just look at the success of Skyrim, it rocks because it dumps the
    over-complicated RPG elements, so that fans of Call of Duty and other action gamers can join the community without frustration, so the game becomes a fantastic game highly praised by everyone.

The same logic applies here. In fact, Blizzard has a much better vision here. I will help everyone here to see it. With the booming of mobile phone or tablet gaming markets, there are strong requests from the causal gamers to have a pay-to-win model.

By introducing pay-to-win model, the profit of developers rises so they have more resources dedicated to make a perfect game. This is why Diablo 3 is perfect when comapred to Diablo 2. And the pay-to-win models finally give causal players the competitive edge to work against the hardcore gamers, achieving the balance of power among players. This explains the prosperity of Diablo 3 community, in which it probably will grow even faster in the future 10 years.

Unfortunately, many players here can not see the future foreseen by Blizzard. Blizzard is indeed trying hard to advance the gaming atmosphere to a new era with everyone will soon realize and enjoy in future.
  19. Jul 28, 2014
    AVOID THIS GAME! Biggest joke of the decade and played off the hearts of Diablo fans everywhere.

After 2 1/2 years, the game is a disaster. They are adding ladders and greater rifts and both are nothing but recycled content. they have not even tried to fix the core issues, you are forced to play fire elemental specs because that is the only kind of gear in the game. They say they want
    you to play the game, the way you want to play it, but if you want to be able to clear content, or get the type of gear you need, you will have to play how Blizzard designed the game, and that is to play fire.

Pass on this game, it is a huge waste of money.
  20. Jul 28, 2014

Pass on this game, it is a huge waste of money.
  21. Jul 27, 2014
    Initially rated 0 when game launched, now I'll go with 8 with the 2.1.0 patch. I really like how they managed to steer game back on track. It's fun and plays as intended now. For 10/10 I'd like to see modding or at least some fun game modes other than campaign/adventure/rifts.
  22. Jul 19, 2014
    I didn't fall for the hype, Didn't buy the game. Now Blizzard is offering a free demo. The game was made in 2012, but right from the start, it feels like I could have been made in 2005. I've played plenty of rpgs and diablo spinoffs, but this "official" Diablo feels like a spinoff itself, but a cheap one, that could have been made by a kickstarter effort from a few thousand dollars.
    In
    2014 (or 2012 for that matter) no character customization is an absolute no go.
    Poor inventory handling is an absolute no go.
    Poor interaction menu is an absolute no go.
    I truly feel like I'm playing a game from 10 years ago, not 2 years ago. It was acceptable for Diablo II to look and play the way it looked and played, but it's totally unacceptable in 2014 (or 2012).
    We had RPGs already, that done plenty of innovation in many aspects to the genre, none can be found in D3. Not sure if it's the stubborn Blizzard idea or somehow it's a design "feature".
    If I want to use a metaphor, imagine buying a car today for the same price as all the others, but upon sitting into it, you realize, it's equipped like a car from the 80s. 13 inch wheels, drum brakes, cassette player only, no remote lock or alarm and the seat feels like an old used sofa and it smells like mildew inside. All, for a premium price. It would be the laughing stock of the world, and so D3 should be.
  23. Jul 14, 2014
    I played this game after the release. The gameplay on the very first run was really addictive. But playing the same runs over and over every time on a more difficult level gets really boring. Another negative point was the in game market. You could buy stuff with real money. So trying to get great gear ingame wasnt rewarding at all. Spending a few bucks was way easier.
  24. Jul 10, 2014
    When I played, Diablo 3 was a greedy auction house fest, with loot algorithms designed to force people to buy items from each other while giving Blizzard a cut of the money spend. Considering the price of the game and the impact it had one quality of game play, this was extremely unacceptable.

They supposedly fixed these issues and removed the auction house in the mean time, so my
    review from back then is no longer valid. Not gonna waste more money or time on the game though, so I'll just set my score as close as possible to the average player score and then clearly state that I have no idea if the game still sucks in the current version. Expand
  25. Jul 9, 2014
    Good game, but the problem is that it's called "Diablo". Like ARPG is a good game. Internet required and action house is the worst of thus game. The expansion Reaper of Souls saves Diablo III to go hell.
  26. Jul 5, 2014
    Outside of joining a lot of other reviewers in being annoyed that I had to connect to an account for single player, I still found the game to be poor. The story was a miserable bag of cliches, the atmosphere was unimpressive, the game-play itself felt bland, and the treasure system I loved from number two was reduced to background noise. Graphics are great, but that won't carry a game for this little black duck. Expand
  27. Jun 27, 2014
    Simply put, Diablo 3 is not a Diablo. anymore. i would've been more generous at my scoring if it were named differently instead of tricking us that we have purchased a sequel to Diablo.
  28. Jun 21, 2014
    It seems like nobody can enjoy classic genres like ARPG's (Action Role-Playing Game) anymore. People think that these games are too repetitive but I like it and people may complain about how Diablo 3 had ruined its Diablo franchise but its new expansion, RoS (Reaper of Souls) has made improvements to the game by a long run. People who played this game awhile back when the game was released should really consider trying it again and give it a better review. Expand
  29. Jun 5, 2014
    Games are about entertainment. You're supposed to have fun. However diablo 3 bored me from the very beginning. Previous installments in the series immersed me but this one really pales in comparison.
  30. Jun 5, 2014
    Updating my review past all of the changes.
    Finally they did what players wanted. They made the game about loot. It still gets tedious very quickly solo player, but the new Adventure mode is great to play with friends
  31. Jun 5, 2014
    worst arpg I have ever played. the devs have no clue. its so bad their lead dev is now a joke in the industry. blizzard has lost a lot of fans with this game
  32. Jun 4, 2014
    Since I originally scored this game a 1 since I couldn't play it for weeks after I paid good money for it, I thought I would update my opinion of the game. I have played through a few times with each getting more difficult and it is a good game and runs smoothly. I don't play it anymore, but I got my time out of it. I liked the story the first run through. Games like this tend to get repetitive, but the fact that I played through 3 times means its not terribly so (I usually don't replay games). Expand
  33. May 28, 2014
    The worst game ever seen for Bli$$ard+Activi$$ion. Take your Money and RUN.... Seriusly GARBAGE.
    not recommend purchase. Is a BETA version of the biggest crab Diablo III , just a BIG SHAME, the biggest scam of all history of Bli$$ard+Activi$$sion.
  34. May 27, 2014
    Review as of May 2014 by a non-fanboy who never played Diablo nor Diablo 2. I think maybe the closest game I've played to this was Dungeon Siege I & II back in the day.

In Diablo 3 you only have 1 AI follower at a time, except if you play with friends, but even then, the gameplay boils down to INFINITE grinding and looting. The different classes have some depth, but you'll eventually
    find your favourite 4 active skills and 3 passive skills and there's little incentive to change your play style, especially on higher difficulties where you need to be fast and precise and not be burdened by experimenting around. Nevertheless, the combat is ok, the 4 active skills you can choose at a time (from a wider offer which you keep unlocking as you level up) provide some strategy opportunity, but really it comes down to either you can kill the monsters or you need to escape and lower the game difficulty. The different locations are really not particularly interesting, and the progress through them is very linear. The story and its presentation is SHOCKINGLY poor! It's basically a poor excuse to allow to unlock new paths (always very linear, btw) and keep progressing. Progressing? I should say keep grinding and looting. And the allure of looting better stuff can only motivate you so much.

There is not much lore, interesting side quests, characters or really RPG elements other than combat stats. If you expect an adventure with an interesting story and characters, you'll find none of this, I fear. Instead, this boils down to infinite grinding of monsters. Even if you play with friends, which I haven't, I don't know that you'll get much out of it other than keep grinding to get loot in order to keep grinding and keep getting loot... Frankly, I finished the single player out of spite for the money I spent, which was not a cheap amount... I was not left with good memories.
  35. May 20, 2014
    Este juego es la mayor basura creada por Bli$$ard+Activi$$sion: -No es divertido -no es bueno -NO recominedo su compra -No se puede ni jugar la mayoria de las veces por lag -No puedes encontrar buenos items por que esta todo NERFEADO para que el juego se alarge y tengas que jugar mas de 10 puñeteros años para poder jugar su Hihg-end. -No se puede jugar el modo hardcore por que hay MUCHO lag y te desconectas siempre
    -Los servidores son una autencica BASURA
    -Blizzard solo vende Mierda a precio de oro y luego se rie en la cara de sus clientes
    -No tiene un buen servido de atención

Basicamente es la mayor Basura que ha creado bli$$ard para sacaros el dinero y reirse de vosotros en vuestra cara. Collapse
  36. May 18, 2014
    I honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it and haven't played it since then, I suggest you give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised. It still has some issues, like in order to fix the horrible economy they basically destroyed trading(in that all the highest tier items are pretty much account bound), but the fact that you'll actually find items worth using makes that a whole lot less painful than you would think, and it's definitely better than that awful auction/trading house mess that they had at release. As of 2.0.1 it is good enough that I spent money on their over priced expansion pack, and I honestly was planning on never giving Blizzard another dime, ever again. Expand
  37. May 15, 2014
    I've had Diablo III for a very long time but after seeing concerns raised by many other gamers worldwide; I decided to only play it when it was in an acceptable state. Two years since release and finally this game is of a very satisfying standard thanks to the new patch and work done on DRM issues from Blizzard. For some, this is too late in the day particularly after the apparent 10 year development.

Fans of the series may have mixed emotions about this game; it has lost it's dark and gritty feel and is now more artistic with colour with a bright pallet and plenty of color. Some areas are often sparse but you're not too far from a battle here and there. The main story is fairly short which is a shame but you can replay the game with the different classes which offer enough diversity particularly in the inventory aspect. Developing characters, leveling up and completing the game multiple times is an extremely enjoyable experience and bumping up the difficulty adds some spice and extra XP+gold which helps ranking up.

The Story is nothing special and any side missions are fairly simple though. Combat is clean and fun but everything is very repetitive in time. Hunting for loot and building your hero adds much to what is at times a bland game.

Activison Blizzard have thankfully closed the Auction House which was something of some debate. Now more legendary items are dropping in game rather than you having to cough up with gold or real money just to improve your character this way. I found the ethics behind this practice terrible especially considering the shape this game has been in for the past 24 months. I have had no issues in connecting to matches or when playing which is amazing considering how many problems were reported with the DRM feature since release. The game is finally at a satisfactory standard now.

If you are a fan of Diablo or the genre; this game is definitely worth a purchase now. Don't expect the feel of previous games. This is more of a modern take which may put some people off. It's a solid title with a good inventory backbone and character development feature but it doesn't take long to finish and the game may be too linear for some.
  38. May 9, 2014
    UPDATE: I had hopes for RoS but in the end it still did not deliver as everyone had hoped for. The major problem D3 still suffer from is the replay value because there is a severe lack of END GAME content. The current end game content is mostly just grind, grind and grind until the RNG gods grant you the best gear.

The devs are arrogant and think they know what's best for us when they DO NOT!
  39. May 7, 2014
    Just ignore all the haters, this is an awesome game. Great gameplay, nice story and I love the new skill system. Definitely the best game in the series and now that all the connection errors are gone it's definitely a 9/10
  40. May 6, 2014
    bad game i told on chat noobs and i get warn by suport for my imagine bad behavior for caling baters noobs suport is bad same as this company 0 good legendary drop this game sux
  41. Apr 21, 2014
    This may be a different Diablo game but still pretty much addictive and fun. The art style, graphics, and cinematic is totally a masterpiece. If only they didn't removed the allocations of stats and skill tree, this could be the best action RPG game out there today.
  42. Apr 20, 2014
    Too much soap, cartoon engine. Don't waste your time and money on this game. It's not even close to Diablo 2 or even Diablo 1. Blizzard is just trying to use it's famous title to milk customers.
  43. Apr 17, 2014
    Garbage in every way compared to Diablo II but world of warcraft fans will like this crap. The Blizzard that made Diablo I and II is dead and so is the series. RIP
  44. Apr 17, 2014
    Unfortunately D3 does not live up to its predecesors. Blizzard seems to create a singleplayer ARPG but they are doing MMO balancing every few patches. it allready pissed me off big time getting nerfed in wow because of pvp concerns,but nerfing classes and items in a non competitive singleplayer game with co/op is just ridicolous. if you want to play a good arpg there is plenty more fun stuff out there. check out torchlight I & II for example. they are more diablo than d3! Expand
  45. Apr 17, 2014
    Hmm game not so bad as some peoples say.I buy D3 and finished this 1 time, good game, but not very good.I think gameplay 2 much casual and no real good innovations.
  46. Apr 15, 2014
    Fun game... Just make sure you keep in contact with a good phychic, so they can let you know when the servers are up so you can actually play a SINGLE player game.

Edit - Score changed now that the game has been patched and servers are stable
  47. Apr 13, 2014
    This game isn't a step up from Diablo II, but is in NO means a step down. Beautiful graphics, voice actors, and cinematics make this game look like a masterpiece. Buy it.
  48. Apr 11, 2014
    Wow, don't buy this game. It looks exactly like WoW. Level cap is 60, expansion is 80? Hmm...sounds familiar...............................................
  49. Apr 11, 2014
    Updated my review for the expansion.

Blizzard has taken leaps to improve this game but after leveling another character I feel it is still lacking something fundamental, fun. The skill trees are still lacking in variety but this isn't the main issue as D2 had this same plan. If I had to pick the main thing that really annoys me about this game.. it would be the story. For me, this story
    is lacking so much more than the original had and the loot system still isn't as rewarding as many would have you believe. In fact, the improved loot system seemed to just make the game much easier at higher levels. I literally almost fell asleep while playing.

This could be a different story with the expansion. However, I refuse to pay $40 for an expansion after having my trust in blizzard ripped away from me. Many of you may be fine with companies that extort you but I have a fundamental problem with them and refuse to support them with my very hard earned money. Any who would argue against their extortion is blind to what happened with their DRM in the auction house and how you could pay nearly as much for an expansion that is majorly just a fix for what shouldn't have been a problem in the first place? Granted it has a new act and class and I would have payed 40 for it without question if all of the issues hadn't come about in the first place. Blizzard has lost my trust and will have to earn it back. Considering trends of other big box production companies, I doubt they will even care enough to try.
  50. Apr 8, 2014
    I came from the originals. Diablo and Diablo 2. Played the crap out of both those games. This game though, is a total failure. I can't even justify giving it a partial score, it's just a broken game! Lets start with the basics. The storyline? Very linear and bland. The graphics? Way too cartoon-like. The mechanics? Poorly executed and poorly driven. The overall action element? There is none. You feel like you're watching your character instead of playing. And the big kicker... ONLINE ONLY PLAYING! WHY???

Blizzard needs to learn a lesson about this game. You cannot make a fan of the series wait this long for a game and then shovel tons of brown gunk down their throats. I paid full price for this game, $69.99. It was way way way WAY over priced and was not worth my time in the long run.

Blizzard also needs to learn that capitalism does not work in the gaming industry. You only trap STUPID people when you jack up the price of crap. The smart people will eventually avoid you as a developer in the long run.

The next thing to break me away from Blizzard completely will be when they introduce micro-transacting. That will be the point at which Blizzard is no longer in it for making good games, they are in it totally for the money.

Shame that a developer has to go down this path...Shame...
  51. Apr 6, 2014
    Revising my overly positive old review. Great combat. Terrible items. Makes for a very underwhelming ARPG. RoS has fixed a lot of problems, but man oh man, this one will go down in history as the roughest release Blizz has ever seen, that is for certain.
  52. Apr 5, 2014
    This game became the victim of DRM and microtransaction greed. dont buy it.
    I loved diablo 2, and i naievely expected diablo 3 to be an improvement on the diablo 2 system. i was painfully disappointed. I got this game free and i still want a refund.
  53. Apr 5, 2014
    However this game may be considered a failure by most hardcore Diablo fans, I think the new direction and feel really makes the game better for modern audiences. People don't like change. If we wanted the same game as Diablo II we'd end up making another COD franchise with the exact same thing every time. All the negativity and arguments aside, I really enjoyed my play throughs of this game. The changes Blizzard has made since release, really adds more playability and fun to the game. I consider this a worthy successor to Diablo II, however most people won't agree with me. Perhaps that is because despite playing all of the Diablo games, I started with Diablo III first. Expand
  54. Apr 4, 2014
    I think its fair to say that this game tanked bad, and their is no coming back to the high score that Diablo 2 set back in the day. In fact the only game now that comes close to that type of game play is Path of Exile. This game deserves only a zero anyone else who score above that has no respect for themselves and like have not played since the First Diablo. The game Has gotten better now since the roll out of ROS and I rated it a 6 for fixing many issues with the game. In all I feel that the game has been ruined and they need to move on and retire all three of these giant titles. Lets do somethings fresh Blizzard I think many would agree that we are getting tired of **** games being released from big vendors like yourself. Expand
  55. Apr 4, 2014
    Addictive, repetitive dungeon-crawler - ridiculously easy even on hard level for the first playthrough. Plenty of loot and a wide variety of locations, enemies and bosses to keep you pushing forward relentlessly. There's a familiar story of demons and angels, good vs evil, betrayal and bravery etc .. However there's not much else in terms of strategy or role-playing. This is a fast-paced action game that you literally play with one-hand on a mouse if you have some side-buttons for hot-actions. I think I had to press Q for a health potion about three or four times and that was it. Might consider the expansion and another playthrough or two in the future. By the way I had zero problems with the online connectivity requirement, so I don't know what people are moaning about. Expand
  56. Apr 1, 2014
    I'm confused by the bad reviews. I mean, I understand why people hated on it BEFORE the fixes, but now? There's no justifiable reason to it. It's fun, addicting, has a favorable graphic style and interesting lore. Oh, and the loot is magnificent. This will get down-voted most likely, but just know that with every dislike this gets, it's just an ignorant hater's jimmies being rustled. Great game, don't listen to the haters! Expand
  57. Mar 30, 2014
    As if the game wasn't bad enough (it's a copy of Diablo II!!!), the customer support and account management are by far the worst I've ever seen. Put your pw wrong three times and you'll end up in a miserable agony and disbelief trying to get back into your account. I have never met so idiotic "security" measurements that go **** from tiniest changes or mistakes, for example logging to your account from different computer makes your account go locked. Good luck if you don't have your full name saved in account or you mistype it three times. I had to queue almost one hour to get service in english (not my mother tongue). And yes, that was the only option given. No email addresses or messaging systems, just phone number to diff. country. Yes, there is a ticket system but how's that supposed to help if you can't log in account and submit the ticket.

By far THE worst 60€ I've ever spent on anything.
  58. Mar 26, 2014
    Only good with blind fanboy

nothing change much from the game core which is utterly bad ...

There are many ARPG out there and they're outmatched DB3 + ROS

Sigh .. i love this series but this is nowhere to be good
  59. Mar 26, 2014
    There is simply too much to list about Diablo 3's initial release that made it pretty terrible. I know it's clichéd by now, but when I compare it to what D2:LoD was 11 years ago, this game simply falls flat on it's face. It has it's certain fun moments, but they truly don't last.

After the recent 2.0.1 patch, things have gotten significantly better - but it's still not up to par for
    where it should have been to begin. Reaper of Souls has also helped me regain some faith in Blizzard, but they still have a ways to go until it's a quality ARPG, like it's predecessor was. Expand
  60. Mar 26, 2014
    when I picked up the demo I thought I was going to be given a new experience, not a generic hack and slash from 1997 with colorful dialog thrown in the the fun of it. besides all of the hours put into abilities and voice overs this game doesn't fly too far from generic, generic holy trinity click fest garbage. Where is all this hype about the expansion coming from? its the game thing but with more things in it besides new innovative game-play. Expand
  61. Mar 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Biggest Fail game of the century.

Sucks so bad it has over 5k zero ratings.

Enough said

Diablo 3 is so boring you would have more fun at a bingo hall. Also the connection problems at launch are awful and show how incompetent Blizzard is. The graphics in game are also not close to what a Diablo game should look like.
  62. Mar 24, 2014
    i was a day one buyer and the game was a disaster even without the online problems, so i try again 21 months later with regret and frustration building up before i play and try again and well i am surprised to find things are much better, loot drops are way better, enemies scale to your level now, jumping into higher difficulties with new games, paragon levels to keep you playing after L60-70 and some other small things. i still detest always online (most of all), overall short campaign, standard textures, and no camera settings still but things have improved with the more major issues i had with the game ROS i think will be pretty good content even without act V . D3V would have gotten a 2/10 from release but today its 8/10. Expand
  63. Mar 24, 2014
    I do not know why Blizzard work with the Diablo so many years, but Diablo 3 is just a misunderstanding. Boring, uninspired and without any interesting innovations. After a 4 hour session I was sick - I was thinking whether to buy a DLC "reaper of souls", but no, never!. The conclusion is simple, if you want to modern "Diablo" experience buy a Dark Souls series - This games have exactly feeling like Diablo should have. Expand
  64. Mar 21, 2014
    When Diablo III first released it was quite a let down. The loot system was broken, it was a slog to level up characters through the far too easy normal and nightmare settings, and the auction house sucked the soul out of what Diablo is at its core. However, since patch 2.0 it's a whole new game. The smart loot system actually drops useful gear that is tailored to your character, the revamped difficulty system lets you get down to the right challenge immediately and many boss encounters have been revamped to add more variation and challenge. This is the Diablo III that should have been released day one. Expand
  65. Mar 17, 2014
    Reduced my rating from 3 to 0. D3 no longer exists in it's original form. Blizzard killed the game with patch 2.0 for worse. All they needed to do was give us simple things like more acts/areas to play, events, etc, not revamp and facelift the entire game balance and mechanics. Barbarian class is garbage now, whilst Wizzard is godly. Main stats are on steroids, life steal buried, AH buried, BOA and no trading possible. PvP still doesn't exist as was promised >3 years ago. Blizzard/Activision is a garbage company still trying to ride on their past glories from decade ago. Expand
  66. Mar 16, 2014
    I will not rate a game that has always-online a 1, let alone what Blizzard said about why offline mode will not be implemented. For Blizzard to say that they didn't make that game but made it offline on console for one, and for two they claim that gamers don't remember how angry they were by Diablo 2 being offline. I was without internet for about 8 days and I couldn't even load it to a login screen let alone anything else. If the auction house is closed then what's the point of it being online. If there was an offline mode for PC then I would rate this a 6 out of 10 Expand
  67. Mar 15, 2014
    Will not purchase, will not play, will not succumb to the iron will of Blizzard. From watching the cinematics ... as has always been the case with blizzard... and some "lets plays" the game looks great and if 90% of the items werent on blizzard's servers and there was an offline only option It would be great. But until they realize that Im not going to have my games monitored and my items under lock and key I will not buy this game. Expand
  68. Mar 15, 2014
    First play through is pretty good, monsters are weak enough that lag from not being next to a server isn't much of an issue. Much past the first difficulty is impossible unless you are near a server (Single player included) Fun, but 0 replay value. Blizzard has hopped on the draconian DRM bandwagon with this one unfortunately, try Path of Exile or Torchlight 2.
  69. Mar 13, 2014
    Blizzards drm system with its internet connection need stuff is an extreme kick in to the fans balls. The game itself is good, the new skill system is okay, many combination is possible. The story entertained me well enough to play it through. The best part is the almost endless replayability.!
  70. Mar 13, 2014
    Just awful, was kind off enjoyable for the first few hours it took to run through the game. Then you realize it's always going to be the same linear piece of **** and you get a sour taste of hate and regret in your mouth.

After about a month I had entirely forgotten about it, and so had most other people. It's not memorable at all, it's bad. It has little to no replayabilty and is
    dumbed down so much that it doesn't even make sense to continue after you've tried out all your abilities. Not to mention the stupid DRM and what ever stupid decisions Blizzard decided to implement, I don't remember exactly what they were but I remember them being the dumbest thing I had heard in a long time at the time.

Goes to show that you cannot trust professional game reviewers.

Avoid at all cost
  71. Mar 13, 2014
    I can't in my right mind give this game a good review when it has destroyed such a wonderful and one of my favourite ever franchises.

There are those who would applaud Diablo 3 as a model of great AAA quality, others just because it is Blizzard, and most because they are fans of the franchise although they don't know it, they prove to actually not being true fans to the franchise as
    this is in a completely different direction than the originals.

To make things clear, I will review the game in two ways. The first is as a New IP, the second as a sequel to an Old IP.

As a new IP, the game direction, design and style is not that bad. Blizzard has the budget to back up quality in the product and it shows, from the wonderfully detailed menus, to everything, it is simply polished up real nice. What starts to then weaken it is the fact that it really seams simple in it's structure, especially for a game being developed for so long and especially for a hack and slash game released on 2012. Expectations are far beyond what was given from a company with such a budget and resources as Blizzard, but expectations are also larger from what is actually possible in such a game and genre in our time.

The length was quite short. The story was ok-ish. Included DRM and other online things that simply shouldn't be there for a game like this. Limited party size, to simply later reveal that the game was indeed aimed for consoles as well.

I have nothing against a game being also made for consoles, as long as it doesn't take out features from the PC version just to do this, the way Diablo 3 did. The game felt 5 years old and that is the best that can be said about it as a new IP, no matter how polished it was. The game ends up being marginally a 5/10 as it doesn't deliver in a surprisingly new way neither lives up to the expectations of a company as large as Blizzard and so much time being put into it. RAGE from id was longer, for crying out loud, and it was a first person shooter. Skyrim took around the same time to develop, and the results show why. Diablo 3 does not convince in any way that it is a project taken seriously, especially with regards to the original fans, which takes us to part 2.

Reviewing it as the sequel to the original franchise (which is the true review) the game is simply not Diablo. Diablo 2 delivered, in size and content 4 times that of the original, and it kept to the original style which is what the Diablo universe was all about that Lovecraft styled and gothic demonic look and atmosphere created. Something that the previous Blizzard employees that actually worked on and made Diablo 1 and 2 managed to recreate on their next project, Hellgate.

The direction was a slap in the face. It is like playing the TES universe and the third iteration being in a completely different direction than the other two. Blizzard saw into simply scrapping the original franchise and making something new, make it marginally as long as the previous titles if not shorter (much shorter actually), get rid of entire features, apply it to consoles, use the old franchise name and their own to sell and advertise it, and deliver a product that did nothing of create the feeling the old titles created. Art direction was mostly changed to appeal to a larger scale target market as well, also evident in the fact that it was ultimately aimed at console launches as well.

To further prove that they really don't give a damn about the old franchise, neither the fans, at the complaint on the new direction and art for Diablo 3 from many fans, they released a troll Cow Level with rainbows claiming that "this is childish", not Diablo 3. Hardly the approach of a serious company, but rather the actions of a child arguing it's point, going completely out of their way to simply try and prove they are right.

They are not right, not by a long-shot. The feel of the original franchise which was spectacular simply wasn't there, it was something else. The Cthulu-ish designs and dark sinister world worthy of the name Diablo was scrapped, and they have the audacity to try and say otherwise even though the results are so evident? I am ashamed in them, and the title.

Diablo 3 brought nothing new to the genre instead it simplified it, while it also ruined the original franchise, and instead of delivering at least an attempt to show that they put twice the work in it than previous Diablo titles, we get results that require half the effort. Path of Exile felt more like the original Diablo franchise, and it was a free to play game from an indie developer. The results Blizzard achieved here are appalling and not nearly in the lowest of their standards that we deserve to have. But then again, Blizzard hasn't been Blizzard since 2002.

The game is barely 2/10. I would have given it 3/10, but Blizzards stance on it, the continuation of supporting their decision rather than admitting to fault, along with other things, drops it to 2/10... And I am being nice.
  72. Mar 12, 2014
    So many promises made and none were kept. After such a long wait for this game it's a huge disappointment. Diablo 2 is far superior to this game. I need to be logging on to battle.net to play single player??!?! They have no backup servers so if the game server goes down I can't play at all? DRM done horribly wrong.
  73. Mar 10, 2014
    After many patches the game is good. I was enjoy playing it. Graphic is not realistic, rather paint-like style but nice. Although I still prefer character development from Diablo 2, or World of Warcraft where skills and statistics are bind to character not to items and can't be change (we have to think more before develop skill). And after long development of sourcerer in Diablo 2 my sourcerer was Ice-Master, and my friend sourcer could be for example Fire-Master - two diffrent characters (we can't change it) even whithout any items. Expand
  74. Mar 10, 2014
    It has gotten much better with the new patch. Lots of new uniques and no need to ever visit AH. Loads of fun now. Userscore on the site is no longer accurate
  75. Mar 7, 2014
    Diablo III is one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history. The story is garbage, the graphics are cartoonish, etc etc etc. I had trouble seeing 15 months of development, not to mention the 15 years that D3 took. I'll be an old man for D4, not that I would waste my money again. To rub salt in the wounds, D3 is almost decent now that the DLC is about to be released. Too little way too late. I hope nobody buys the DLC to send a clear message to Blizzard that their game is pathetic . Expand
  76. Mar 6, 2014
    This is one of the best single player games of all time. Plain and Simple if you have internet then you should try it.

The only reason why this game has so many negative reviews is because it requires internet and the fact that when it first came out there was a lot of issues but they have all been fixed and a lot of improvements have been made to that game that make it really good now.
  77. Mar 4, 2014
    Since Loot 2.0 this game is cracking good fun. It took a while (perhaps too long) to iron out the creases. The haters gonna hate. But it is now close to perfection. I still can lose hours to it no worries.
  78. Mar 3, 2014
    I write my review nearly 2 years after the game release, so I wasn't there for the game day release woes. Though I can understand the vitriol when coupled with the game itself.

-There wasn't a great deal of innovation on the series. I've played all the the Diablo games and enjoyed them for what they were. That being said, it seems reasonable to have slightly higher expectations for a
    game that was released after a 10 year gap in the series.

-My most immediate turn off was the boring loot. In a game that's literally about collecting loot, the items were terrible. Armor sets that match for bonuses, cool proc effects, legendary items that grant fun abilities...all gone and replaced with stat sticks. Even the stats on the legendary items were bad.

-Customization was gone. I liked being able to distribute my stats. Even if each point gave me improvement measured in some tiny percentage, it was satisfying to do so.

-Pay to win. This is completely ridiculous. I'm not a competitive player, so I ignored the auction house completely. Though the fact that it exists is very, very wrong.

-Price. At the time of release the game was $60. It had dropped when I bought it and is due to drop again. Though I suspect a $40 expansion is in the works. This just seems a little over the top when similar games are so much cheaper. (Torchlight 2 $15, Path of Exile FREE)

What the game gets right are great looking graphics, the always high quality Blizzard cinematics, and bug free gameplay. The voice acting, though cheesy, is done by some of the best in the business. It just wasn't enough though. I've rarely felt "cheated" by a game, but for the price, Diablo III just wasn't worth it.
  79. Mar 3, 2014
    As now the reaper of soul update is online, I think this game has become quite good.
    Loot 2.0 is fun, especially the new legendary items are awesome in many ways (e.g. "get your own treasure demon"). Many items have now features which boost skills of the characters, so the right equipment matching your play style got more critical.
    The improved Paragon system also hits a nerve.

overall long time motivation has increased a lot for me.

Online negative points:
    - some achievements have to be done again with ROS.
    - still only 100% online.
  80. Mar 1, 2014
    I wondered why this game was such a massive disappointment until I realized it was made by Activision. They have killed Tony Hawk, GuitarHero, Call of Duty, and now Diablo. After 12 years they finally released this game, and it is so worse than garbage that there is no word to describe it. I could go on and on about why, but basically this game leaves out everything that was good about D2 and adds a bunch of nothing...except for lag. I have not been able to run this game without constant lag on my year old dell. Ridiculous. BF3 runs at 30fps and still doesn't give lag anywhere near like this.  Expand
  81. Feb 26, 2014
    Blizzard had time, money, people and experience – everything they needed to make another great Diablo game. So nothing can justify this fiasco. And things like online-only DRM and RMAH were just pure, plain and obvious trolling. They deliberately chose to spit on their fanbase repeatedly because they knew they would get away with it.

Some may think that patches made D3 better. Nothing
    could be further from truth. It’s still the same fetid puke puddle it was two years ago. D3 doesn’t even have PvP (and again for those who think it was added in 1.0.7 – Diablo 3 DOES NOT HAVE PvP). Expand
  82. Feb 26, 2014
    Putting aside the issues a game launch for the moment : Any game that requires always online DRM to play what is essentially a single player game should be avoided at all costs. In the case of Diablo III, this is nothing but a cynical ploy to get players hooked up to the Auction House so Blizzard can replace some of the revenues they are losing from WOW.

As to the issues at game launch:

1. Blizzard was aware of the number of games sold by preorder and presumptively capable of being able to calculate sales at launch. This is one of the primary functions of their marketing department.
    2. Blizzard did not adjust download capacity at launch to meet these requirements.
    3. Blizzard did not adjust server capacity to meet the on-line play requirements at launch or subsequent to launch.

Conclusion:

1. Blizzard deliberately launched a game which they knew they could not fully support.
    2. Blizzard deliberately sold a game which they knew its customers would not be able to play in full or in part for some period of time after launch.
    3. As many have pointed out in the past, this is effectively fraud. Deliberately selling a product that does not work is unacceptable in almost any industry, and should be considered criminal.
    4. These actions show that Blizzard views and treats its customers with complete contempt.

Solution:

1. Do not buy this or any other games from this Blizzard.
    2. Do not buy this or any other game requiring on-line play for single player games.
  83. Feb 24, 2014
    no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0 no offline co op=0
  84. Feb 24, 2014
    I've now played all 3 diablo games and I rate the ps3 version of D3 behind D2 but still very enjoyable. I doubt I'll still be playing it 2 years from now like D2, but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth with this game.
    What They Did Right:
    Treasure - Diablo's all about treasure hunting for me looking for the final item of a set, a new weapon for one of your chars, etc.
    Battle - This
    version retains the "arcadeyness" of previous versions with no camera control - isometric view. On the ps3, this frees-up the left joystick for evasive maneuvers which make the battle feel of D3 the best so far.

What they Did wrong:
    Dumbed-down-to-one - Nearly all strategy has been taken out of the game. There are no decisions in character building making every character the same. Once you level a monk (for instance) to level 60, there's no need to play another, you'll just have another maxed-out copy of the first--maybe with slightly different gear. In the D2 days you had to decide where to spend your points and your decisions had a direct effect on the potency of the leveled character. I miss this. If there was a subtitle to this game it should be "Diablo for Dummies".

No more runes - In D3 you have only gems to put in your socketed equipment. Just 4 choices--topaz, emerald, amethyst, and ruby. Boooo!

All and all I'm having a great time vanquishing scores of demons and scooping up madd loot.
    I've reached Paragon in hardcore (after a few failed attempts) and suspect I'll be jamming this game for a few more months until I "switch gears" to concentrate on GTA V (which is waiting on the shelf).

If you liked d2
  85. Feb 24, 2014
    From the get go this game was ruined. People say now, after two years since launch, that the game is finally what it should have been. Well, that's two years too late, and they have the balls to charge 40$ for an upcoming expansion with 20%- 25% new content? I'd throw 15$ at Blizzard just to own the expansion, even if i won't play it. 40 bucks ? Good bye.
  86. Feb 23, 2014
    Diablo III could be a better game. The fact is that the graphics are great, the soundtrack also pretty good, gameplay is cool too but ... First, the game had too many bugs on release. Second-AUCTION HOUSE (who came up with this at all?). Third-price. The game is not so good to cost $ 35. And "only" five character classes. Why developers threw the old character class by replacing them with new ones? We could have about 9 character classes ... New characters are extremely uninteresting. I did not like the barbarian or witch doctor or monk or demon hunter. According to me it is just a good magician. Anything else? Probably not. Diablo III- I would only recommend it only for the biggest fans of the series. Expand
  87. Feb 21, 2014
    I played a ton of Diablo 2 growing up. I had high hopes for Diablo 3. The game is really fun, but suffers from replayability issues. I quickly got every class to max level and geared well enough to pile drive the hardest difficulties. I was able to do this much faster than I did in Diablo 2 by using the new Auction House feature. The Auction House feature made it extremely easy to cherry pick the best gear in the game for your characters. In a game where the carrot on the stick is the gear grind... having a Auction House negated the carrot. I'm hopeful that the future expansion's overhaul of the legionaries, shut-down of the Auction House, and new character class will spark my interest. Expand
  88. Feb 20, 2014
    What have you done, Blizzard? Nobody likes the story not even the whole game. All you do is stacking 5x Nephalem in Festering Wood then you enter a prepared crypt in mp10 and you level the same character class up to 100 all over again to get a paragon 1000 toon in the next expansion. All you do is clear the same lame crypt tapping 1-1-1-1-1 like a retard in Archon form and beam while right clicking everywhere. Here is my score infinite 0-0-0-0-0! Expand
  89. Feb 18, 2014
    Gameplay is fun but..... the story is awful, the art/feel of the game is terrible, and required internet is garbage. Will never back Blizzard on another one of their games ever again. After seeing Reaper of Souls beta being streamed -- sucks to be anyone buying that load of crap. Maybe you guys will enjoy your trip through a well-lit and cartoony fairy tale with units/lands pasted from D2 and the same lame class coming back into play.

Out of 8778 reviews, having a 3.9 score is pretty terrible. There have been 86 critic reviews giving it an average of 88 which is even more of a joke.

Also: The months of creating PVP? What a joke.
  90. Feb 17, 2014
    Not as good as Diablo 1 or 2 or even Torchlight 1 or 2. Basically 4 things drag it down HARD. 1. Worst of all it is pay to win (but not even close to free to play). Inexcusable for a game you pay for. Obnoxiously so for a game you pay this much for. 2. Story. This story is weak. Some of the characters are fun (I'd like to learn more about many of the followers), but the demon of lies is a horrible liar (being obvious from the get-go) and the boards/missions/quests are not varied or exciting enough.

3. Loot/drops. Because they decided to make it pay to win, Loot and drops are not worth grinding, on the whole. Merchants are useless, and even legendary drops are unexciting given that they are almost always not even worth selling on the auction house. Its basically this: there is one correct way to play without real money. Grind gold, go to AH, buy items, grind more gold. Alternatively, you can, instead of playing the actual game, play the auction house to make money.

I don't think anyone bought Diablo 3 to play "stock market, fantasy style" but that's one of the two viable ways to do well in the game. Awful.

4. Online only DRM (with sweet, sweet server management. Honestly, if the game were good, I could probably/possibly excuse this. I think/hope that it prevents haxx, which sorta ruined any pvp or multiplayer in prior Diablos (especially 1). Given that I primarily want to play with my family, I'd be more than happy to lose this in favor of LAN based play.
  91. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is a 4, the reason people are rating it a 1 is because it is the sequel to Diablo 2. It basically took everything that was awesome from the genre and that game and stripped it down to a crappy, boring experience. I did not enjoy any of the time I spent playing this game.
  92. Feb 11, 2014
    Great graphics and a decent story but the game was completely ruined by the lack of character customisation/choices/surprise. AH ruined any loot found, Loved Diablo II and I have been looking forward to this game for a long time. Zero replay value. The whole game was based on the stats which gear provides and weapon damage determining spell damage was a bad idea.
  93. Feb 10, 2014
    The graphics are too rainbow bright, cartoonish and girly. The dialogue is cheese and the story is lacking. The art style is too much like World of Warcraft.
  94. Feb 10, 2014
    Atleast we can know now that Poe and Torchlight has 5,3K fanboys . Like some1 gives a sh1t about their reviews. This is not Diablo or Diablo 2 deal with it . We are in 2014 and things change.
  95. Feb 9, 2014
    This failed to deliver as a true ARPG. It has no competitive aspects. Failed promises. The D3 development team does not know what they are doing. bad game.....
  96. Feb 9, 2014
    Not really good remake of Diablo 2 which looks like cartoon. This game is cheap as dad from Transformers movie. Frankly, I want my money back as this is not "Diablo" as I (and many) expected, it's a different game that speculate on Diablo name. Don't seems like I'm buying any other Blizzard games, not before a lot of good USERS reviews at least, as Blizzard reputation is non existing for me anymore. Expand
  97. Feb 8, 2014
    you can call it **** or scam. This game ruined diablo's franchise, turning it into a cheesy pay2win for coach junkies or beliebers. Stay away and keep the money
  98. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm not surprised by the black and white "0 or 10" mentality adopted by the average reviewer, or the fact that 90% of people dissing D3 have never played it because they listened to metacritic. If you really, truly believe this game is worth a 2 or a 0, you are much too retarded. Diablo III is not a bad game, and I've played tons of bad games before. As many have pointed out, it suffers from blandness and lack of being unique. This game is is in the "slightly above average" spectrum of things, and while that may be frustrating for many fanboys, it shouldn't affect score. All things considered, it's a fun and enjoyable game, I'm glad I've played it, I won't play it for years to come but that is rarely the case with any game. I recommend this game for a discounted 20$ price tag, because it's about equally as good than Torchlight II or Path of Exile, which are respectively 15$ and free. Expand
  99. Jan 15, 2014
    This is more of a review on the official critics, both here and on other sites. When you google Diablo 3 review, you see ridiculously high ratings across the board, some teetering on the edge of 10/10...

What game were they playing? IMO, they were playing greedy buggers. Marking down a Blizzard game seems almost sacrilegious. Having an honest opinion seems to require too much
    competency, or moral fiber, or some other factor, because I haven't seen one yet in regards to this game.

It's a glaring insult to this site's readers when the official critics have a this turd at 8.8/10. Right beside it is a far more honest take on Diablo 2's retarded step child. With laughably bad story, dialogue, cinematic boss fights *ugggghhh -_-*, terrible balancing issues, melee hatred, a need for A2 inferno items to complete A1 Inferno, moronically bad legendaries, a requirement to rely on the AH to get 95% of your end game gear, the AH in and of itself... The list goes on, markedly worse being the most ignominious demise of one of gaming history's most beloved characters, Deckard Cain....death by dominatrix slutterfy *shudder*

What good points this game has are few and far between; not even the atmosphere is remotely near the mark! For many, seemingly most, fans of the Diablo franchise, this game was a terrible, decade late blow. I, personally, don't even consider it to be canon, preferring to hold out hope that the D3 team will be eradicated with extraordinary prejudice and replaced by a team who will release a truly worthwhile successor to one of the most heavily awarded and best loved RPG series of all time. For free. I can dream, can't I?

I rarely take official reviews under consideration as fluffing up crap games is just one of the many tools video game companies use to sell their games. This, though, is just so unabashedly rotten that I feel disgusted. Blizzard hasn't been Blizzard for years, and these glowing reviews are terrible attempts at adding shine to a turd.
  100. Jan 14, 2014
    This game is a shame. It betrays the atmosphere of previous episodes,which were much darker. Cooldowsns in skills, forced internet connexion, real money device, seriously. Blizzard has gone completely wrong and is destroying so many ips...
  101. May 15, 2012
    Purchased, unable to log in even once in 12 hours. This would be counted as fraud in any other industry but for some reason on this game I intend to play single player it's 'to be expected', just terrible.

1. Aug 31, 2012