8.7

1. Feb 6, 2013
    I really love the people who judge this game a decade or more after it's release and hold it up to "current" standards and rank it badly. Yes it's a really old game today (or whenever you're reading this) but in its day it was legendary. That's not nostalgia talking, it's fact. While I do have fond memories of the game myself I do remember exactly what I thought of it at the time. A greatI really love the people who judge this game a decade or more after it's release and hold it up to "current" standards and rank it badly. Yes it's a really old game today (or whenever you're reading this) but in its day it was legendary. That's not nostalgia talking, it's fact. While I do have fond memories of the game myself I do remember exactly what I thought of it at the time. A great unique game that was extremely fun to play, but also a tad repetitive and without too much depth. Diablo 1 did change the scene and really gave birth to the modern Hack-n-Slash genre. Overall: While I dod have great respect for this game I also must look at it objectively and not just with nostalgia. A great game of it's age, but also a bit limited and rough around the edges. Expand
  2. Aug 5, 2014
    When first Diablo was released in 1996 it blew everyone's mind with it's beautiful visuals, fantastic music, dark atmosphere and incredibly fun and addictive gameplay. I loved and still love every bit of it. It still plays and holds up well until this day and it's by far the best from the trilogy imo. Just listening to the soundtrack and that music is just pure classic. 10/10
  3. Jul 19, 2011
    In reviewing Diablo you have remember that video games have developed A LOT over the years, games didnt just spontaneously become as functional and as complex as they are today and Diablo has contributed a step in the progress and evolution of its genre. Diablo 1 was a great game for its time and still holds up very well, its only our impatient side of being over spoilt modern gamers thatIn reviewing Diablo you have remember that video games have developed A LOT over the years, games didnt just spontaneously become as functional and as complex as they are today and Diablo has contributed a step in the progress and evolution of its genre. Diablo 1 was a great game for its time and still holds up very well, its only our impatient side of being over spoilt modern gamers that makes Diablo outdated, but when you stripe impatience aside Diablo becomes one of the timeless greats of the 90s. The design and service of Battle net is perhaps the most important and influence contribution that Diablo brought, the simple and addictive real time gameplay, the item/ loot system, stat character customisation are fantastic. The atmosphere is great (better than Diablo 2 and 3!), the simplicity and charm of the monster and environment design, the gothic story, the dark tones of despair, the random level generator all were original at its time and have since been copied and recopied in the industry today. Diablo is one of my favourites and a great and important game of its time. Expand
  4. Feb 21, 2012
    While diablo is a weaker 'game' than diablo 2. I think it has a superior atmosphere. However since most of what you do in this game is kill monsters, collect loot, sell loot, return to monsters - the atmospheric bleakness only shows it's stunning head on occasion. For it's time, this game blew my mind. Loot was presented so well, everything was so attractive, what the next floor wouldWhile diablo is a weaker 'game' than diablo 2. I think it has a superior atmosphere. However since most of what you do in this game is kill monsters, collect loot, sell loot, return to monsters - the atmospheric bleakness only shows it's stunning head on occasion. For it's time, this game blew my mind. Loot was presented so well, everything was so attractive, what the next floor would bring was a mystery of sorts.The online implementation was second-to-none. I sincerely miss the darkness and gothic morbid feeling of diablo 1. That said, diablo 2 did everything significantly better, and still retained enough of the atmosphere to make the entire package grander. And diablo 2 has a hell of a lot more lasting power due to the massive depth improvements over it's prequel. Expand
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    Released in 96 this game was the first of its kind and generally just as good as it gets.
    Enjoyed it for countless hours, even more with the hellfire addon and mods like varahya/khans.
    Judged by that it clearly was a 10/10 game even if i probably wouldnt pick it up again today for the same reasons i wouldnt pick up civilization 1 or duke nukem 3D again.
  6. Feb 23, 2014
    Diablo is one of the icons of games. It showed the world that the game does not have to be difficult to be good. As in those days was a good graphics and the music even better. Randomly generated underground-that's something!. It is a pity that the disposal were only three character classes (warrior, mage and rogue). The worst thing about this game is that it is a short ...
  7. Oct 23, 2014
    I remember when I first played demo of first DIABLO. It was just amazing. Music was just perfect. Its way better than those in all new instalments. Dark, heavy atmosphere - again perfect. Innovative loot system. Even story was quite interresting. in 1996 gameplay was really perfect for me. For couple of years to come this was really one of my favourite titles. When I come back to this gameI remember when I first played demo of first DIABLO. It was just amazing. Music was just perfect. Its way better than those in all new instalments. Dark, heavy atmosphere - again perfect. Innovative loot system. Even story was quite interresting. in 1996 gameplay was really perfect for me. For couple of years to come this was really one of my favourite titles. When I come back to this game now it seems almost like some indie game, its so slow compared to D3. But it still is one of the most important game in gaming history. Expand
  8. Jul 5, 2011
    Wow i have to weight in here 8.1 come on guys shame of you little youngsters go play with you Wii.
    First of all this is an Action RPG which has a huge community now, the game was great then Diablo 2 is still great now with a relatively huge community for a decade old game and now we wait for Diablo 3 but that s neither here nor there. I will Admit this game is no fun now but back in the day it was. "Times change scores don't" - Me
  9. Mar 8, 2012
    One of THEE all time best games of all time! Diablo inspired perhaps countless games and not just games but great games. This game is endlessly fun to play and very very addictive even now. Randomly generated dungeon levels, dynamic ai, a plethora of weapons armor and items and 3 classes to choose from. This is a one of a kind and practically the first of its kind. A priceless gem of all ages!
  10. Jun 6, 2012
    What more can I say about this game other than truely groundbreaking and amazing for its time. Diablo introduced me to the RPG franchise and have enjoyed my stay ever since.
  11. Jul 28, 2014
    One of the most important games ever made.

It is STILL scary if you play now. The butcher doesn't make me wet my pants like he did the first time anymore, but knowing that if you die, you're going to have to get all your stuff back is just nerve-racking. Possibly the most atmospheric RPG ever made. Or if that's going too far, then easily the best music. The only thing that makes
    One of the most important games ever made.

The only thing that makes it an adjustment to play today is the lack of run/walk.

I play this at least once a year and have since it came out.
  12. Nov 29, 2011
    When Diablo was released, it was the best RPG of its time. Even though there are only 3 characters does not take away from the gameplay. The dynamic maps are great, they ensure that every trip through the dungeon will be different. The sounds and music added greatly to the game. Diablo is, and probably will be one of the greatest games of all time.
  13. Aug 14, 2014
    This is best Diablo in series. This is how it should look like, exploring dungeon and not running on desert, because open area always look the same even if its random. Torchlight1 was also good game because it keep that style and atmosphere, where am just say best clone, not better game. D1 is best in own style.
  14. Nov 21, 2011
    i can not believe that people call this a good game no its a great game the first in his class all other "hack&slash" out there are base on this tiny game. People that review this game like Thosa vote 2 times a 4 and a 0 need to get a life. People like "Griper below in the negative commend you find them need to get a **** slap. No stop the crap. If you dont like hack&slash game dont botheri can not believe that people call this a good game no its a great game the first in his class all other "hack&slash" out there are base on this tiny game. People that review this game like Thosa vote 2 times a 4 and a 0 need to get a life. People like "Griper below in the negative commend you find them need to get a **** slap. No stop the crap. If you dont like hack&slash game dont bother to even play it let alone to review it why because its lame and false to give false information about the game. Diablo was back in the days 1997 the hit simpel cd and you are good to go on your 4/86 with 33mhz and 4mb ram (dont forget the turbo mode) yah simple as that new people dont try this because so outdated style you will not like this horribly graphics for this age. Its like playing on your best pc the snes games or commodore game in the early games. For the fans of hack and slash games meet the king and try it, Expand
  15. Dec 21, 2011
    One of my all times favorite, back in the day i would spend hours and hours just trying to find good items, also it was the first game i played Online.

The story was good and the gameplay fun and scary, no game up to this date can still beat the terror i feelt while entering the butcher room for the first time...
  16. May 19, 2013
    It's a good game to most. In my opinion I never like the game play. I don't like point to move nor button mashing. Its very suspenseful with a fantastic story line. The music fits well into the game. Voice acting also was a great feature for the game.
  17. Nov 17, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Dark, evil, mysterious, adventurous, exciting and so much re-playability. Outstanding. Wish they still made games like this these days.
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    When I was a child, I played this game for over a year, over and over again. It is the apitami of good game play, and as such will be forever classified as the classic and original rpg of my life.
  19. Jul 12, 2014
    Greatest game of all time. It's too bad that time has not been kind to Diablo. Original and great addictive gameplay that became the face of the hack and slash rpg genre.
  20. Feb 28, 2012
    A masterpiece. Everything about this game is what defines the concept of a true classic. The music, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the story, all fits together into a wonderful piece of art in videogame form.
  21. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece. Best graphics for his time period. Story is superb and the sound is fine.The game includes a fantastic gameplay. This game changed the video games world- from RPG to action. This game is one of the best games ever, if not the best, this is absolutely the finest work of Blizzard Entertainment.
  22. Mar 9, 2013
    My favorite PC game of all time. Truly the most monumental and inspirational action dungeon crawler ever created. It was the game that paved the way for its genre to grow and one of the major reasons why Blizzard became among the greatest game developers of all time.
  23. Apr 1, 2014
    All hail blizzard north the one and only true blizzard.DIABLO(1) is the best game in the world.Respect and best regards to north and Matt Ulman,Brevik and the rest...

I can see what you see not— Vision milky, then eyes rot. When you turn, they will be gone, Whispering their hidden song. Then you see what cannot be— Shadows move where light should be. Out of darkness, out of mind,

I can see what you see not—
    Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone,
    Whispering their hidden song.
    Then you see what cannot be—
    Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind,
    Cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
  24. Sep 27, 2014
    I can still re-install and play this game. That should really say something saying that my only real re-playable games are ff7 and xenogears other then that its truly hard for me to pick up and replay games.

In its time it was great and frankly i still like to dupe (dupelicate items) and hax the hell out of it. its just good old fashion fun. Hell if a **** server was going id be on it once in a while.
  25. Sep 14, 2011
    The original atmosphere. I loved this game, and though its getting old, it still brings me dark memories. I remember playing this in darkness and encountering Diablo for the first time *chills*. Play it now because you like the story line, and because you need the original scare!
  26. Feb 2, 2015
    There may be a little nostalghia to my maximum rating, but I also believe this is a perfect casual game.
    - a simple, smooth and motivating gameplay
    - different playing styles through items and magic
    - enormous replay value
    - involving sound and story
    If you need to whack some time, this is it. Is it mobile already?
  27. Jul 25, 2011
  28. Jul 15, 2012
    I should really just sum this review up in two words: "Diablo Clone." Wait, where did that come from? Oh yeah, it came from this game. If you have never heard of a Diablo clone, then you are pretty much a newb. Diablo copied the action sequences of some popular ASCII games, added in some stellar graphics and sound (for their time), and made a story that would make Lucifer himselfI should really just sum this review up in two words: "Diablo Clone." Wait, where did that come from? Oh yeah, it came from this game. If you have never heard of a Diablo clone, then you are pretty much a newb. Diablo copied the action sequences of some popular ASCII games, added in some stellar graphics and sound (for their time), and made a story that would make Lucifer himself cringe. The game was simple, but also had some complexity. The level layouts were completely random. The item drops combined random item properties in a prefix-base-suffix setup in which each randomly generated section had a massive number of possibilities.
    Skills were not tied to classes, but were instead tied to books that you found on the way! You could be a warrior with fireballs or a wizard in Gothic Plate! Experiment all you wish!
    There was some great single player, multiplayer via LAN and B.net, and most importantly, wide open PKing to add layers of challenge to the game.
    This game revolutionized the ARPG genre, or perhaps even created it! For what it was in its day, there were very few games to challenge, let alone top it. For this reason, Diablo 1 gets my highest recommendations!
  29. Dec 26, 2011
    Somehow, this game still holds up. Easily one of the most addictive games I've ever played (besides Diablo 2), it's also one of the most mindless (at least if you play as a fighter). Pure point and click, hack and slash simplicity that somehow manages to stay fun throughout. I ended up wishing for a bit more depth near the end of the game, but that's where Diablo 2 comes in. On it's own,Somehow, this game still holds up. Easily one of the most addictive games I've ever played (besides Diablo 2), it's also one of the most mindless (at least if you play as a fighter). Pure point and click, hack and slash simplicity that somehow manages to stay fun throughout. I ended up wishing for a bit more depth near the end of the game, but that's where Diablo 2 comes in. On it's own, this is still great fun. Expand
  30. May 19, 2012
    A revolutionary game for its time in all respects. Yes it had its share of bugs. The words town killed still engenders feelings of deep resentment among old time fans. Yes it does not compare to the richness of current gaming. Though its graphics are aged and outdated, the sound, voice acting and atmosphere are a morosely compelling as it ever was. Few will ever forget their firstA revolutionary game for its time in all respects. Yes it had its share of bugs. The words town killed still engenders feelings of deep resentment among old time fans. Yes it does not compare to the richness of current gaming. Though its graphics are aged and outdated, the sound, voice acting and atmosphere are a morosely compelling as it ever was. Few will ever forget their first meeting with the butcher or their battle with the Skeleton King. For many, myself included, it was their first foray into online multiplayer and it was good. It was not the saccharine world of nintendo, the slow turn based strategy games that dominated the PC scene then or the increasingly arcane 2d fighter. It was a dark and accessible world where anyone could enter but few would ever leave. We miss you Blizzard North and we will never forget this game. Expand
  31. May 21, 2012
    Probably the best one, and the most deserving of the name DIABLO. Intense atmosphere, the music and the refined graphics really create an unique atmosphere that was just partly replicated in Diablo 2, and completely forgotten in the crap afterwards.
  32. Oct 2, 2013
    FlavioV. you're an useless retarded, together with the others who gave this game a low score. you useless idiot, did you realize that this game was released in 1996, almost 20 years ago and you're complaining for the graphics? useless retarded whiny human being. Retarded useless idiots.
  33. May 26, 2011
    The original Diablo not only ushered in an era of clickfest action-RPGs for the PC, it probably also helped revive interest in computer roleplaying games in general, though ironically action-RPGs eventually killed off hardcore RPGs five year later, with Arcanum being the final game of that era (that said, Diablo is not actually that far from the hardcore dungeon crawling RPGs like theThe original Diablo not only ushered in an era of clickfest action-RPGs for the PC, it probably also helped revive interest in computer roleplaying games in general, though ironically action-RPGs eventually killed off hardcore RPGs five year later, with Arcanum being the final game of that era (that said, Diablo is not actually that far from the hardcore dungeon crawling RPGs like the Icewind Dale and Might & Magic series). Diablo may not be as refined as later action-RPGs, nor as deep as the hardcore RPGs, but the gameplay still enjoyable, rewarding, and addictve, with a unique gothic fantasy setting, well-emphasized by the dark, heavy and genuinely creepy atmosphere permeates through the game, an atmosphere that was sadly and sorely lacking in Diablo II (which I consider to be an inferior game, for this reason). I'd go as far to say that the original Diablo is one of the most atmospheric roleplaying games ever released - and atmosphere is very important for roleplaying games. Expand
  34. Mar 24, 2011
    Not perfect, but for its time nearly a decade and a half ago this game was great. The mood and feel of this game surpasses its sequel, as does its music. However, I will knock a point off for the cheats that ran rampant and for the painfully slow walking despite giant maps.
  35. Aug 28, 2011
    Okay, fans will kill me, but Diablo wasn't that great. I don't know how to explain this game. It's somewhat of a point-and-click-adventure without the adventure-typical riddles and storyline. Some sort of a Last Ninja clone in a fantasy-setting for a more casual audience. A low cost rpg without characters and variety (other than different styles of slaying). This is actually not the worstOkay, fans will kill me, but Diablo wasn't that great. I don't know how to explain this game. It's somewhat of a point-and-click-adventure without the adventure-typical riddles and storyline. Some sort of a Last Ninja clone in a fantasy-setting for a more casual audience. A low cost rpg without characters and variety (other than different styles of slaying). This is actually not the worst thing, if a game tries to be simple - however Diablo didn't want to be that simple. Cinematics, advertisement and pricing claim to be much more. The procedurally generated levels did not offer as much variety as expected. Collapse
  36. Aug 25, 2012
    When Blizzard made this game, they made a revolution to RPG world. Everything a real RPG gamer wants is in this game. Let's face it, RPG's were never about graphics, but how invested in your character, in your game, in your mission can game make you. And this game was, and still is one of the BEST games I've ever played. Sadly, Diablo franchise started to deteriorate after this game.When Blizzard made this game, they made a revolution to RPG world. Everything a real RPG gamer wants is in this game. Let's face it, RPG's were never about graphics, but how invested in your character, in your game, in your mission can game make you. And this game was, and still is one of the BEST games I've ever played. Sadly, Diablo franchise started to deteriorate after this game. Neither of the sequel lived up to this game. Diablo had a real story, and it was like a movie, a novel. Diablo 2 was here and there good, but had some flaws, such as no classic save game in singleplayer, but multiplayer solution to it, and Diablo 3 was a massive failure, Everything that was wrong with Diablo 2, they exaggareted it about 1000 times. Diablo 1 had both simplicity of gaming, and complexitiy of storytelling and questing. That's why Diablo, especiallly with Hellfire expansion is the game, that i play till this day... Expand
  37. Dec 1, 2012
    If you like this dungeon runner style, you will like Diablo. Aside from the lack of deep story, the action is fun. Playing a melee character, I found difficult as it seems you spend more time chasing enemies than actually attacking them. Once you switch to mage, it is a walk in the park. I ended up using one spell through the whole game, which shows how repetitive it can get. OneIf you like this dungeon runner style, you will like Diablo. Aside from the lack of deep story, the action is fun. Playing a melee character, I found difficult as it seems you spend more time chasing enemies than actually attacking them. Once you switch to mage, it is a walk in the park. I ended up using one spell through the whole game, which shows how repetitive it can get. One strong element in the game is the limited but fantastic music. There aren't many tracks, but they are very well done. Very similar to the recent Torchlight I game. Expand
  38. May 16, 2012
    süperrrr gamee . i love you DİABLO. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......................................................................................................................
  39. Jul 12, 2012
    Diablo was a great game for it's time: very original and entertaining to go deeper and deeper into the depths of caves, killing stuff with interesting skills. Pretty good!
  40. Oct 4, 2013
    Diablo started my love for PC Games and i still play it today.
    if you haven`t played this game before i seriously recommend you do!
    A good 10 of 10 score in my part!
  41. MishaR.
    Apr 29, 2007
    Perhaps the only downside of the game is the lack of quests.
    For every diablo fan -- go visit Diablo Evolution at http://www.diablo-evolution.com it's a very interesting site with TONS of info about the content which didn't made it and they also feature a playable crash-prone version giving you an expeirence of those old unreleased versions.
    P.S. That's not an advertisement. ;)
  42. Griper
    Jan 8, 2008
    Diablo is hack and slash... done... well... better. No longer do you have long winded fights and few enemys to deal with (Or longwinded fights and MANY enemys to deal with) Diablo is made for quick and merciless slaughter... I look at these reviews and I see nolstalgic people, and retards. Neither are acceptable. Diablo isn't the GOD game, it doesn't trump all other games 12 Diablo is hack and slash... done... well... better. No longer do you have long winded fights and few enemys to deal with (Or longwinded fights and MANY enemys to deal with) Diablo is made for quick and merciless slaughter... I look at these reviews and I see nolstalgic people, and retards. Neither are acceptable. Diablo isn't the GOD game, it doesn't trump all other games 12 years running... but it WAS good in it's era. Not great, GOOD... And Diablo isn't the WORST game, Graphics is only 1/10th of a game and Diablo pumped some impressive visuals at it's time. Now why would I rate something so low that I praise so highly? Because alll you nolstagic brats have gotten on my nerves. Diablo is not the God Game... it may have revolutionized the genre, but rating a game on it's historical footnotes alone is stupid. Expand
  43. KarmaNinja
    Oct 26, 2009
    This game is a true classic. It may not have extraordinary gameplay or graphics, but it still brings you in for more. As another commenter stated the atmosphere is brilliant. There's nothing scarier than the screams that pierce the night as you get further down the cathedral, or the first time you hear The Butcher. @Steven H, you seriously didn't use the Sorceror right if you This game is a true classic. It may not have extraordinary gameplay or graphics, but it still brings you in for more. As another commenter stated the atmosphere is brilliant. There's nothing scarier than the screams that pierce the night as you get further down the cathedral, or the first time you hear The Butcher. @Steven H, you seriously didn't use the Sorceror right if you only saw it as a "comedy option". Sorceror is by far the most OP class in the game. Expand
  44. DavidK
    Jan 4, 2010
    It's a great game, and not only that, it influenced a lot of other games with that same style. When I play Dragon Age, I think of Diablo.
  45. Aaron
    Dec 29, 2005
    D2 was much better then D1 but hey if u like it better not my fault :-P. I think the Expansion is the best i play like 60 hours a week{seruisly}.
  46. GhastMaster
    Nov 20, 2006
    I still play this game, ten years after it was made. It was a groundbreaking game when it was first introduced. I still have not found all the items I want.
  47. Thosa
    May 9, 2006
    Boring. Played three levels and then I quit.
  48. Belltoller
    Mar 31, 2007
    This game is a classic; it was groundbreaking in a myriad of different ways. The people who rated it a zero are probably 12 year old little boys.
  49. AlecR.
    Jul 13, 2007
    A perfect game, even today. It's very dark (though not very scary) and the gameplay is awesome. Besides Diablo 2 and maybe Titan Quest, no game has ever done hack-and-slash RPG action better than this. Thosa, who gave the game a 0 said that he only played 3 levels and quit, made Thosa sound incredibly stupid, which I hope he isn't. If you play Diablo, you have to understand that A perfect game, even today. It's very dark (though not very scary) and the gameplay is awesome. Besides Diablo 2 and maybe Titan Quest, no game has ever done hack-and-slash RPG action better than this. Thosa, who gave the game a 0 said that he only played 3 levels and quit, made Thosa sound incredibly stupid, which I hope he isn't. If you play Diablo, you have to understand that this game was made 11 years ago, so I found one reviewers remark that the graphics were feeble so funny. And second, you don't need good graphics to make a good game, which today's youth are obsessed about. Speaking of which, the reviews who gave it a zero, must be younger than 12 years old. They must be 8 years old and terrified of games that are rated Mature. I can't stop playing this game and the sequel. Death to the reviews who have it a zero! Expand
  50. MichaelU.
    Feb 18, 2008
    A terrible game. The only place that is safe is a very small town with around 10 people. The sorceror is useless because he can't recharge mana. He must buy potions to recharge it, and they are expensive like hell. The game is extremely hard to play, with a boss in the second level that could kill me in 3 or 4 hits. The ending is very short and makes you feel like you wasted all your A terrible game. The only place that is safe is a very small town with around 10 people. The sorceror is useless because he can't recharge mana. He must buy potions to recharge it, and they are expensive like hell. The game is extremely hard to play, with a boss in the second level that could kill me in 3 or 4 hits. The ending is very short and makes you feel like you wasted all your time beating this stupid game. The levels are all underground and don't look much different from each other. They seemed to have made it very dark and gothic, yet it doesn't even scare you. Its a shame they made it this way, it has a great story, music, and ideas. Its hard to make a gothic game with a great story and let is go to waste, but Diablo rises to the challenge. Expand
  51. Simon
    Mar 30, 2008
    Unbeatable atmosphere and storyline, combined with the best graphics of its day. Diablo was and is a true classic.
  52. AnonymousMC
    Jan 12, 2009
    A great game for its time, sure people complain about how the levels all look the same but truely the are not, they are randomly generated dungeons which give you some of the best replayability. It was a ten for its day and age, and I have a feeling it's comming back with Diablo 3, all for what Ghast said, 96-98 if they remade it with new models, textures, and more customizable classes...
  53. SickPerson
    Apr 22, 2010
    I visited this site out of morbid curiosity. I can't understand how some people get so adamant over a mere game. But anyway, I love Diablo so much that I frequently have wet dreams over it and I have been known to masturbate while playing. Oh, and once I was so engrossed in the world of Diablo that I forgot to eat for about six days...I lost about ten kilos. No joke, man. And one I visited this site out of morbid curiosity. I can't understand how some people get so adamant over a mere game. But anyway, I love Diablo so much that I frequently have wet dreams over it and I have been known to masturbate while playing. Oh, and once I was so engrossed in the world of Diablo that I forgot to eat for about six days...I lost about ten kilos. No joke, man. And one time I felt so in love with the game that I couldn't help but lick the screen for a while. I'm not proud of that. I know it's weird, but stranger things have been known to happen amongst game freaks. Expand
  54. CharlesH.
    Oct 16, 2003
    This game just didn't do much for me. It has almost 0 replay value, in my opinion, because of the small differences between the characters. It's also much too hard in the beginning. I've never played online, which may increase its replay value. Instead I find Diablo II a vast improvement (though, I guess, not as groundbreaking) over the original. I recommend it highly.
  55. Thosa
    Jul 11, 2004
    Boring. Played three levels and then I quit.
  56. SomeGuy
    Feb 4, 2005
    Oh man, diablo 2 was the worst game ever... Diablo 1 owns it hard. Seriously, diablo 2 was 100 times more boring than 1.
  57. C.C.
    Jul 26, 2005
    This game took the carrot system to new heights. Many hours wasted/valuably used in front of my PC.
  58. FlavioV.
    Sep 12, 2006
    This game is simply awful and extremelly naive! The graphics and gameplay aer totally feable. It is difficult to me to understand why this game received such high ratings. The score about the Devil and hell and its title translated to spanish seems to be a bad taste joke.
  59. MilenkoCastillo
    Jul 29, 2007
    One of the best games i have ever played in my life. You could even try to compare it to some of today's kind of games, and see it is just awesome. Very cool story, and the graphics(for his time) were complement to the whole dark ambient and its music. For those who say "The score about the Devil and hell and its title translated to spanish seems to be a bad taste joke", muerete hijoOne of the best games i have ever played in my life. You could even try to compare it to some of today's kind of games, and see it is just awesome. Very cool story, and the graphics(for his time) were complement to the whole dark ambient and its music. For those who say "The score about the Devil and hell and its title translated to spanish seems to be a bad taste joke", muerete hijo de la gran maraka. Expand
  60. Pete
    Aug 11, 2007
    I would have to give this a 7.5 to 8 and going down the more add-ons you keep introducing. Nothing seems to get upgraded, and the weapons configurations seem so random and difficult to figure out. Also the cube recipies...come on get real.
  61. GhastMaster
    Mar 19, 2008
    I'm still playing diablo 11 years later... It's my favorite game of all time. It has great replay value, mood, and awesome item randomization. I wish more modern games would go back to the root of gaming and devolop a game like this with updated(not necessarily 3d) graphics and bug fixes. Diablo was rife with bugs. I would pay 1000 dollars for a decent game, but they don't I'm still playing diablo 11 years later... It's my favorite game of all time. It has great replay value, mood, and awesome item randomization. I wish more modern games would go back to the root of gaming and devolop a game like this with updated(not necessarily 3d) graphics and bug fixes. Diablo was rife with bugs. I would pay 1000 dollars for a decent game, but they don't make them too often. If Diablo was updated and they fixed the glitches/bugs, and kept the style but at the same time updated the graphics, I would pay 1000 dollars for it. Basically, if this game was remade today with all the new fancy technology, it would rate around 97. Cheers. Expand
  62. Crane
    Oct 14, 2009
    This game is quite a legend, i spent many days playing this title and i never got bored. Diablo hasn't got the best graphics especially these days, but the atmosphere is outstanding. Personally i don't understand guys that rated this game with 1 or 0. I suppose that they're a bunch of retards or kids jerking off in front of WoW or other dumm MMORPG. Hey boys! This game is This game is quite a legend, i spent many days playing this title and i never got bored. Diablo hasn't got the best graphics especially these days, but the atmosphere is outstanding. Personally i don't understand guys that rated this game with 1 or 0. I suppose that they're a bunch of retards or kids jerking off in front of WoW or other dumm MMORPG. Hey boys! This game is not about lvling and and skilling your characters, it's about a great story and challange. I used to play Diablo several times with the same hero to get top items from other quests (quests are a bit random too). Every single time it was the same fun. Screw the mass shit, hail to the legend - DIABLO! Expand
  63. BrianLoranger
    Feb 26, 2009
    This game was a great game in its time, but compared to the games now a days, this game is nothing.
    And to those who keep giving it 0s, if you didn't play it in its multiplayer prime (yes it had a prime) you shouldn't really post bad thing about it.
  64. SomeAnonymousGuy
    Jul 19, 2009
    Ugh really all the people that rated this 0 or 1 really ought to actually try to play this game! I mean it is pretty brutal when it comes to fights but it is still an absolutely amazing! You can not find a better Hack 'n' Slash/RPG.
    I bide my time for Diablo 3.
  65. StevenH
    Sep 3, 2009
    A game about painstakingly maneuvering a cookie cutter character at 2 miles per hour through a dungeon, hopelessly attempting to hit guys that teleport away from you the second you reach them, and mashing buttons 1-8 to heal yourself from the 500 fireballs flying in your direction at every moment. Think "Raiden" or "Raptor" or something of that sort, only you move in slow motion and the A game about painstakingly maneuvering a cookie cutter character at 2 miles per hour through a dungeon, hopelessly attempting to hit guys that teleport away from you the second you reach them, and mashing buttons 1-8 to heal yourself from the 500 fireballs flying in your direction at every moment. Think "Raiden" or "Raptor" or something of that sort, only you move in slow motion and the enemies move in fast forward. Warrior is basically the only class that can survive the beating that you will no doubt endure because you can't manually dodge, the rogue is the only class that can successfully hit the enemies due to her ranged abilities, and the sorceror is just there as a comedy option basically. So essentially you have 3 broken derivative classes that have no hope of surviving the game, even if you do everything possible to level up, unless you use 1000 healing items and plenty of saving and loading in the process. Gameplay consists of clicking stuff, and standing around corners waiting to bonk enemies. A true classic. Expand
  66. T.S.
    Nov 19, 2004
    Best game ever.
  67. JuanH.
    Dec 6, 2004
    When I Played Diablo in 2000 It Took me back to my D&D days.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Diablo is an amazing game. Never before - or after - a game could be just as retarded as a MMORPG while still being single-player! It brings you all the boringness of grinding monsters and doing monster killing quests you find in, say, World of Warcrap, MINUS the fake social interaction! Thanks, Blizzard, for nothing!
  69. DavidQ.
    May 13, 2007
    Diablo is a game that oozes with atmosphere even today. You will get a great sense of struggling against very palpable forces of evil, while learning about the history of the region from the locals, each with their own endearing personality, wonderfully voice acted. Diablo is the rare game that features a robust history and story that still leaves just enough for the imagination - and at Diablo is a game that oozes with atmosphere even today. You will get a great sense of struggling against very palpable forces of evil, while learning about the history of the region from the locals, each with their own endearing personality, wonderfully voice acted. Diablo is the rare game that features a robust history and story that still leaves just enough for the imagination - and at the same time does not require such knowledge to enjoy the pure action elements. Diablo is noteworthy for its liberal use of classes, featuring only three that give the player predispositions rather than classes, the only static aspect is the limit of stats (a Warrior having a higher Strength limit than the Mage and inverse for Magic for example), the starting skill, character sprite and voice. More so, if you meet the requirements for an item or spell, you can wield or learn it, regardless of class. A mage can theoretically wield a warhammer and command fire and lightning at will, while a Rogue can more skillfully fire a bow, set up a firewall, and a Warrior would be most lethal with a sword but not hesistant to cast Mana Shield to preserve himself for melee encounters. Diablo unfortunately has aged, and where that is most visible is not in the graphics, but in the interface. Diablo2 far outstrips the original when it comes to managing inventory, selling/buying items, and most crucial, accuracy of character control. Despite these limitations however, the excellent ambiance, the present yet reserved story mixed with the satisfying feedback of slaughtering demons and truly feeling they are demons, lends more than any technology ever could. Diablo is still worth playing to this day, if you can overcome a few inherent flaws. Expand
  70. MirakY
    Nov 26, 2009
    To anyone who would give Diablo a score of 0-2... you obviously have some issues with this genre of game. I don't know if you failed to take into account the release date or what... but for it's time and still to this day Diablo 1 is top tier in it's class. Hence why every game that even comes close to same system is compared to Diablo and Diablo II... why? because they To anyone who would give Diablo a score of 0-2... you obviously have some issues with this genre of game. I don't know if you failed to take into account the release date or what... but for it's time and still to this day Diablo 1 is top tier in it's class. Hence why every game that even comes close to same system is compared to Diablo and Diablo II... why? because they started the genre and are two of the best. Whoever is complaining because the game has a challenge? Go play 90% of the "new" RPG's and allow the game to coddle you and hold your hand the entire way never once really being confronted with a challenge, and afterward be awarded with some cliche' cinematic. It really makes me sad that you people would give a fantastic game a 0-2 because you are obviously way to under skilled to enjoy a true masterpiece of gaming. and for Griper, you can't rate a game a 0 because it's old. Rate it for it is... and when it was released, if people reading reviews aren't intelligent enough to understand that a game that was released in 1996 is going to be very dated, then god help them. Expand
  71. WilliamM
    May 22, 2009
    Its a real shame some people give this game a 0 or a 1 because of their hatred of a challenge. I can understand the frustration that Diablo can cause for new players, ESPECIALLY new RPG players. This older game does not coddle you in any way, and becasue of that many people may find the game "unplayable" For those people i would recomend perhaps Fable or one of the many other RPGs around Its a real shame some people give this game a 0 or a 1 because of their hatred of a challenge. I can understand the frustration that Diablo can cause for new players, ESPECIALLY new RPG players. This older game does not coddle you in any way, and becasue of that many people may find the game "unplayable" For those people i would recomend perhaps Fable or one of the many other RPGs around that hold your hand the whole time. Now onto the game. Diablo for its time was unsurpased. I remember getting this game as a child and playing it for days and days, usually in a fit of rage because i had progressed to far down into the lvls before properly clearing them out therefor causing me to be underlvled and geared, BUT that's whats is so great about diablo. THere is no guard telling you to "TURN BACK YOU ARE TO WEAK!", no, instead you are faced with challenges. Graphics for the time were amazing but now of course are outdated, however they are decent enough where it is not distracting. The music is INCREDIBLE! One thing I will give Blizzard credit for is their AMAZING audio. The item system is great, the random item generation makes for a fun challenge to deck yourselft out, even main quest rewards are random, which can be disappointing when you get that nice new armor for your warrior that doesnt do much for him, however the game is easy enough to replay through and compile your gear. The only reason why I didnt give this game a 10 is the bugs. While mostly fixed now, infact last time I played through a year ago i didn't have any problems except random crashes (Vista didn't like it, had no problem on XP) The game originally shipped with some nasty bugs also blizzard was the first to discover the wonders of internet hacks and the horrible effects they had on their games. So, to summarize, If you like a challenging game where you are forced to actually use judgment and enjoy hack and slash rpgs, then diablo is for you! If you one of the masses(I'm talking to you, all you people who think Halo and GTA are amazing revolutionary games.) and you hate a game that will challenge you and let you fail then your better off playing Fable or WoW WOTLK. Expand
  72. SaladMcGee
    Nov 25, 2004
    Basically, this game is a whole lot better than anything made recently. The levels are built uniquely each time you play - something that makes the play less linear than most of the new games, too... A classic worthy of its name.
  73. SyedS
    Nov 26, 2009
    Great RPG! One of the best acclaimed role playing game ever invented! But the bad point is its quite easy to defeat Diablo, and its hard just to defeat the Warlord of Blood!
  74. Mar 24, 2012
    What can I say over 150 positive 7 mixed and 21 bad Diablo the game that changed everything.
    Diablo 3 out soon hope it is worth the wait .Chop chop .
  75. Nov 12, 2014
    This is the most atmospheric game ever made. Even Diablo 2 pales in comparison with this masterpiece. There is always a sense of dread and some of the monsters can actually become dangerous and feel like a real fight (something Diablo 3 completely lacks). There are some flaws like black deaths permanently screwing you up and wizard being totally overpowered but there are mods to fix that.
  76. Aug 28, 2011

1. A feast of atmospheric entertainment. While it might tire after a while, you'll likely get your money's worth long before that point, and moreso if you venture into the chaos that is Battle.net, where life takes on a whole new meaning and the hours slip mysteriously away. Diablo is a landmark game.
  2. About as close to Hell as you're going to get - whether you believe in it or not. Everything about this game just rules and it will blow you away. The gameplay is the easiest I've ever come across in an RPG which is just fantastic.
  3. If you're looking for an action RPG with medieval roots and influences, dark and moody settings, and unique game play, then run to your nearest retailer and pick up a copy of Diablo!