8.3

1. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't quite completed the game yet, but after 15 hours in (i'm quite close to the end, on normal difficulty with all ui elements disabled) I have more or less come to a conclusion about the game.

It's **** fantastic. Very well may be the best money I spent all year on games.

The stealth is engaging, the combat is visceral, the story is interesting, the visuals (i.e. environment
    design, art direction) are phenomenal -- probably the best I've seen since say, Bioshock. I wish I could give it a 10, but there's minor issues here and there that keep it from being perfect -- but it's definitely above a 9. 9.5 maybe.

Wow!
  2. Oct 13, 2012
    I just finished the game and I can say it's simply fantastic. Ignore all of the people saying it's "just hype" or "nothing new" because I honestly have no idea what these people are talking about. Dishonored offers it's own feel with a taste of cartoony graphics in a gritty steam punk world, with excellent and complex gameplay to compliment it. The story is good and though the missions are linear, the missions themselves are a sort of open area where there are many side missions. If you rush through the game like a lunatic you'll probably finish the game quick like a good number of foolish reviewers...but if you actually take your time and play the game it'll last a fair amount of time, maybe just a tad short. Make sure to note that the "choose your own way to do the mission" holds true throughout the entire game, Dishonored does this extremely well.

It's not about making some original amazing breakthrough game that'll make you go insane with astonishment like many seem to think, it's about making a fun game. All in all, no what you say about how original or good it is, it's definitely a very fun game that's worth your time.
  3. Oct 9, 2012
    I've come to expect nothing less from Arkane. Dishonored is everything you could have hoped for in a new IP and more. The beauty and functionality of this game far exceed any idea of standards I may have had. Simply a joy to play....art in motion. Bravo.
  4. Oct 9, 2012
    I've played several hours of this game, and so far there's nothing to dislike in the slightest. Intricate and interesting plot/setting/characters, excellent stealth, fighting, etc. mechanics for your choice of play style, gorgeous painting-like graphics that run really easy on a system but look great, etc. My prediction that this would be the best singleplayer of 2012 looks like it's coming true.
  5. Oct 10, 2012
    Incredible. And I thought Borderlands 2 was GOTY. WOW. I'm blown away, it's a perfect mix of Bioshock, Deus EX and Assassins Creed, or it's a one of a kind masterpiece. Incredible. Just finished my second playthrough and it just keeps surprising you with all the choices you can make. Can't wait for round 3.
  6. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is the best fps action game I have played in a long time. I do not understand what made Bioshock Infinite out-score this game. Gameplay, story, and progression are much better here, though Bioshock gets credit for its completely unique world. The only thing I can really complain about, which is minor, were inaccessible rooftops. This game really catered to my roof-hopping fantasies, so when an inaccessible roof was encountered, I would get annoyed. When I completed the game I was not itching for more, so it will not receive a 10/10 from me, but I am still very eager for a sequel. Collapse
  7. Oct 17, 2012
    Everything about this game was well designed. I loved the story and the quality of voice acting and characterization in this game was incredible. The characters had very good detailed models and the art style, although it can easily make you perceive the game to be bad graphics, was actually very good quality.

I didn't find the story short, however it was also not too long such that it
    felt as though it dragged on. I honestly think it was pretty much the perfect length. My only complaint is that one part of the game seemed unnecessarily boring and slow, a part in the sewers.
    Asides from that the story was well paced and enjoyably long, lasting a full week of quite high playtime. In my opinion, well worth the money

The mechanics were fluid and you could easily just spam off abilities and murder everyone crazily and the game will still be fun. I personally went for the stealth approach and still found the game incredibly enjoyable.

In terms of good design, the fact that steam achievements that pertained to the story were hidden to prevent spoiling the story blew my mind because it was the first time I had come across a developer taking such a simple step to keep the player experience from being spoiled.

Another example of good design I experienced was (to prevent spoilers I'll stay vague) when there was an escort type mission (there only was one) to protect a group of people, my initial reaction was eye-roll as my experiences with these types of missions tend to be me running around frantically diving in front of bullets secret service style in order to protect the mindlessly running NPC's.
    However what I actually found was that the NPC's would wait patiently and intuitively hide in their initial building beside an alley way until I stepped out into full view in the alley way, thereafter taking that as their cue to run across.

The levels were filled with lots of incredibly nice looking environments and lots of cool little side missions that you could stumble across if you were paying attention (saving a civilian from a bad situation involving guards that you can just stumble across, for example).

The characters were VERY thoroughly developed, with each character having a heap of voice lines to pull from at each stage of the game. On top of that there were audio logs and diaries that they kept. All three of these aspects would change as you progressed with the story.

I have to say, this game was the single most enjoyable game I've played in a long time.

Looking at other reviews I can see that people are making stupid comparisons with other games. People need to realise that not every game ever being made is trying to copy the same set of old games (either Half Life 2, Deus Ex or Bioshock), and stop being pretentious **** They made sequels to all those games and people are still not happy.

Also "Deus Ex" is NOT a GENRE of game.

Honestly, 10/10 would buy again.
  8. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    Great job Arkane Studios!!! Let me start by admitting that Dishonored is not a flawless game. The AI and the stealth system could use some improvement (better overall AI, and a stealth system more similar to Thief's Dark Engine). The game has great art design and story (a little bit predictable, but still good...). The music and sound effect are really good. The city of Dunwall, which is modeled after late 1800s-early 1900s London and Edinburgh is just amazing!!! The world of Dishonored is rich and complex.

I enjoyed the non-linear and flexible maps, and the different powers the player can upgrade during the campaign! That adds a lot of replay value to the game!

I wish there have been more weapons in the game...
    A Great overall game!!!
  10. Oct 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much to be desired but do we play these games for the story or for the awesome supernatural assassin powers and awesome gameplay? May be a bit easy but up the difficulty and we have a contender for game of the year. I'll rewrite this review after one week to comment on replayability. Expand
  11. Oct 9, 2012
    The game play is absolutely great but the story is not smooth. The combat system feels like a mixture of Skyrim and Deus Ex H R. There are many dilemmas that the player must decide and many hidden places to explore. The player's decisions and skill selections will change where the player can go and cannot go. It means the player must replay the game several times to explore everything.
  12. Oct 9, 2012
    Brilliant game.
    I have played about 2 hours and all I can say is... wow. The gameplay is so well made, the story is exciting but easy to understand, the voice actors are brilliant and the music is brilliant.

The sound engineering is perhaps abit below average and the main character name is silly (in Swedish korv means sausage and his name Corvo sounds really silly) but the rest is just
    top notch. Best FPS since Half-Life 2.. perhaps even best FPS since ever. Arkane Studios have really made an amazing game doing all the right design decisions. Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2012
    Right off the top I have to say this is definitely a GAME OF THE YEAR contender.

The game begins with a bit of linear game play. You are forced down certain pathways, but are given about a half dozen ways of working your way through the environment. This quickly opens up to a fairly large open world. You can tell that Arkane and Bethseda developed this game with multiple play
    throughs in mind. That being said the game is a bit short. If you explore the environments to the fullest you can get about 30 hours out of it. If you run through it you will probably get about 8 hrs. TAKE YOU TIME. you will enjoy it a lot more when you explore.

Overall an excellent game and well worth the money at full price. If the price drops any time soon (which it won't) I would suggest you buy it right away.

Oh and I have a fairly powerful computer... GTX 570, ACER Predator G5900. It runs very smooth on it and the GPU doesn't over heat.
  14. Nov 18, 2012
    I don't understand why some people are giving this game low ratings ! The game is an absolute beauty.. great graphics, great plot, great tactics, great character skills.. enough said... 10 for me
  15. Oct 9, 2012
    This is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player's throat. All these elements create a deep and rewarding experience that just never stops giving. I will be playing and replaying this game for years to come. P.S. The combat is great and the minimal system requirements are total BS. I am running this game perfectly with a 5 year old Core 2 Duo(2.1 Ghz) and gtx 460, on max details at 1080p. Buy this game. It's an instant classic. Expand
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't been able to box this game into a specific genre, or similar game. I really love the environment and art design. You spend half of the time looking around you, and the other half playing the game. I'm really looking forward to see where the story goes.
  17. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  18. Oct 9, 2012
    It did not take me long to fall in love with this game. It feels like you can really take charge or your character however you want. If you wanna rush through enemies, hacking and slashing everything in your sight? You got it. You wanna Stealthily sneak through the entire game with shooting a single bullet? You got it. This game is what I would call a great game to bring Arkane studios on to the map of real gaming. I hope to see more stuff like this from them. This isn't a game that you will follow through doing whatever the next objective is, it is a game for you. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2012
    Dishonored is a truly profound title that separates itself from the market while also embracing what fans love most about the FPS-RPG genre. It has a provoking story, engaging gameplay, and not to mention it's pretty to look at. This is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  20. Oct 12, 2012
    This was an excellent game. From the terrific atmosphere, to the complex back round story, Dishonored gives a fantastic gaming experience. I look forward to seeing if the creators will expand this universe even more. The only downside to the game is that the story is a little predictable in some parts.
  21. Oct 12, 2012
    I really love this game, probably the best game I've ever played. Everything was great: the atmosphere, gameplay, graphics (little cartoony and I like that) and the AI. What I like most about this game is the many different ways you're able to finish it, like 5 different ways to get into a building or killing everyone or leaving everyone harmless. I definitely rate this game 10/10 even more if I was able to. The only negative thing I have to say is that I've finished it in about 4-6 hours on normal difficulty, it's great that there's a mission replay option, though. It's a mix between: Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Beyond Good and Evil and Mirror's Edge. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    great game. runs at 60 fps no issues, contrels really well, art style is fantastic. deus ex meets bioschock with a little of half life in it. best combo ever made. cant recommend it enough, if you are a pc gamer this is the game to get along xcom. two gret games that will keep you busy.
  23. Oct 10, 2012
    This is honestly one of the most creative and unique games I've ever played. And that's coming from 24 years of gaming. The developers struck a PERFECT balance between open-world gameplay and story-driven gameplay, and allows the player to make use of the environment like I've never seen in any game. The art style is unbelievable, the whole game feels like a big painting. It's quite possible that the most satisfying thing I've ever done in a video game is teleport to a rooftop 20 feet above me as I sprint away from seven frenzied guards who's reaction is "huh?" Expand
  24. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  25. Oct 12, 2012
    I am in love with this game. It's soooo beautiful and the world is so well made. I love exploring the levels and finding everything it has to offer. I am playing a full stealth game and it's so intense and fun. If I get caught I consider it a failure and reload I haven't had this much fun in a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
  26. Oct 10, 2012
    Instead of writing a wall of text, explaining why this game is great, I will just name cons that i have found during my play through.
    - Story is a bit too predictable, but nevertheless, ending left me more than satisfied (wich is rare nowdays).
    - Although it is actually a great stealth game, stealth here resides around "blink", rather then the play with light and shadow. In such a dark
    place as Dunwall, I would make a lot of sense to make dark places actually safer. Increasing mana cost of blinking above regeneration value and making light actually matter would have done game much more challenging and thus interesting for me. - Speaking of challenging. I've completed game on "Very Hard", and i would not say it is actually that hard. Sure thing I've avoided any direct contact with enemy forces and completed all missions in ghost mode because playing otherwise would be a suicide. But overall, blink is too powerful both for eliminating enemies and vertical/horizontal movement so with a keen eye and mind you will feel kidna godlike even on highest difficulty level. - "Darksight" ability, if im not mistaken that's how it is called , is done very wrong in my opinion. It has really high usefulness factor, so it will be turned on really often. Question is why would you do it with such an annoying sound and visual effect? - Guards are acting good enough, when facing suspicious sounds/visuals, but their view distance is very limited. Horizontal angle is ok, vertical angle is ok in 90% of situations, but view distance is just laughable. That should have been like 2x or even 3x as it is right now. Still would not be much of a problem with blink, timestop and other goodies.
    - High variety of devices, although only for casual walk through. If you gonna play it on normal or easy, rushing on enemies and dealing with them in most exotic ways then you will use your arsenal to full potential. But if you are planning on going silent, or even bloodless way if you choose so, you will be forced into using same tricks all over and over again. Grenades, traps, pistols, incendiary ammo, fatalities, etc. + all sorts of upgrades to them will be useless to you, coz they will be either lethal, or just too loud to make use of. Wider variety of silent and nonlethal weaponry would make this game a lot more interesting for stealh lovers.

Summing things up, this game deserves solid 9, assuming the fact I'd never give game a 10 just because no game is perfect, but i will just to compensate for some dumbasses giving this game 3/10. Most of my complains are regarding difficulty, but that's mostly personal. Some people might find it hard enough im sure. This game could use some tuning in abilities and gear department to make things a bit more balanced to diversify gameplay, but even without it, it is just one hell of a journey. Your only excuse for missing this game is only if you cant stand sneaking up on people.
  27. Dec 7, 2012
    Dishonored is a steampunkish hybrid of RPG-elements using Melee/FPS/magic combat-styles set in an Industrial-age imperial city being ravaged by a rat plague. It also has a Bioshock vibe to it. If none of that sounds like potential fun for a game, Dishonored is not for you. For the rest of us though, this game is a really good time and well worth the sale price of $30 I paid for it during Steam's post-

thanksgiving sale. Although I thought the emotional attachment was a little thin from a player perspective, the main character's motivation was quite clear, so his actions during the game made sense to me. My only significant problem with Dishonored was that it crashed on me 7 or so times during my first playthrough.

**COMPOSITE SCORE: 8.875/10**

**ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: 9/10**

Arkane Studios gives the player the opportunity to complete the mission objectives in a true role-playing manner. If you believe Corvo wouldn't want to kill a couple of hundred city guards in order to meet his goals, you don't have to do that. Or, if you think he's so angry that he'd destroy anyone in his way, you can do that too. This gives opportunities for varied playthroughs. I recommend going stealth your 1st time, because it's more challenging than rampaging through the city. Save that for the 2nd.

**GRAPHICS: 9/10**

Although Dishonored is a console port, Arkane did a good job at making it feel good for PC gamers. I would have liked more people in the cities and larger areas, but the people who were there looked pretty good, and the settings were fun and looked good as well. I did not like all the fog, but I think that was an artistic choice rather than hardware. Being only DX9 limited how good water looks, but it's still decent.

**SOUND: 9/10**

The sound was solid although not ground breaking. The music was fun though. ...drunken whalers. haha

**DESIGN AND GAMEPLAY: 8/10**

Like I said before, you have options on how you want to play. I don't want to get into what your options are too much, cuz that might spoil things, but you can either move around and kill things really fast, or you can go super slow and sneaky, or you can be somewhere in-between. It's pretty cool. There are definitely easier ways to complete the missions than others. And, the side missions are just that. If you skip them, they don't really affect the game's difficulty... just the ending. I did not like how picky the achievement for Clean Hands is. If someone finds a person you knocked out, that counts against the achievement. I also didn't like how sometimes mobs will completely miss seeing you in broad daylight but other times see you in shadows from about the same distance. Lots of daytime missions. Makes it tough to be a magic ninja with all that light.

**GAME LENGTH: 10/10**

Playing the stealth path, it took me ~28 hours my first playthrough. With the different options to use, Dishonored offers a lot of replayability. People who complain about the game being too short (7 hours) are skipping most of the exploring and side-quests. It would be like doing only Skyrim's main line and finishing in 10 hours... why do it??

Have fun!
  28. Oct 12, 2012
    This game is .... ALL that I ever hoped from a game. That is the reason I pre ordered it with no hesiation.
    Now I've played it and it's just what they told us it'll be and what I expected from it. I love stealth games and Deus Ex is one of my favourites. This game has more ways to avoid enemies than that one and that's a big +. The story is just awesome ( Yes I read every text, poem,
    journal that i find )

There's so much I can say about it but you should try it yourself. You won't regret it. This game is a masterpiece.
  29. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours. Above all, it's FUN. Whereas so many other games want you to fail and retry ad nauseam, Dishonored wants you to succeed. If you make good use of all your gadgets & abilities and pay attention to the environment plus the clues scattered around you can complete a mission without a single reload (on normal difficulty setting). For me, this is the holy grail of PC gaming. To be rewarded, to get this sense of accomplishment and not be punished & frustrated by stupid and unfair game design. Buy it now, you won't regret it! Expand
  30. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approaches feel thought-out and legitimate. Unlike Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which layed out several predetermined routes for the player, Dishonored focuses on building a place for you to explore, and therefore feels much more natural and convincing as an environment. Not to mention the fact that Dunwall is incredibly rich and interesting, both in architecture and lore. The PC version of Dishonored is very, very good. The game runs like silky butter (very few bugs to boot) and there are tons and tons of UI options. And the load times are shockingly almost nonexistent! I would have liked more UI options and I think the FOV slider should go up to 90 rather than 85, but these are tiny gripes.

While I'm on the subject of gripes, the plot is pretty standard fare. Which is not a knock on the writing as a whole -- the dialogue you hear and the books you find strewn throughout the city are very well done.

Anyway, this is easily the best game of its kind since the original Deus Ex, and a strong contender for Game of the Year.
  31. Oct 13, 2012
    I have to say that this is not a bad game from bethesda.First of all , I have not faced a single glitch in this game.Even though you cant tell this stealth mechanics a 100 % success anyway the freedom the game gives u to do a quest in any way u want to do , is a 100% success.Its a kind of open world with a open ended game game play.Graphics is not that good but it gets the job done .There is lack of depth in action part of the game .Oh and story of this game is really good . in the end one thing I can say is that Betesda is going in the right direction with this game.There is no doubt that dishonored 2 will be a blast with less flaws. Expand
  32. Oct 12, 2012
    I have nothing but praise for this game, but first, I have something to say addressing other reviewers' complaints:
    If the game was too short, you were doing something terribly, terribly wrong. My thorough (lethal) playthrough took me about 16 hours, doing all the sidequests, tracking down as much of the gold and as many of the runes and whale-bone charms as I could. I can only imagine
    it'd be much longer if you went non-lethal.
    Now, to the actual review.
    Graphics: Using a heavily modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, Dishonored portrays the steampunk city of Dunwall with a style and flair that hooked me instantly. The models and textures are as high-resolution as a PC gamer could ask for, and the unique shaders and strong, hard shadows conveyed a strong, graphic novel-esque sense of visual atmosphere. The world's grim visual glory was even further enhanced by the spectacular art direction, taking queues from Half-Life 2 and blending that aesthetic with elements lifted from steampunk subculture to create a unique, rich, and enthralling visual experience. 9/10.
    Gameplay: It's difficult to address the gameplay and story separately, as the two are inexorably intertwined, but I'll do my best. Missions fling you into vast, open environments littered with hidden nooks and crannies, open windows, and rooftops just begging to be explored and immersed in. As you explore, you come across runes, coins, and whale bone charms. Runes are used to unlock elements of a supernatural toolkit, handing you various new strategies with which to engage in combat or exploration, but never overwhelming you with too much at once. Coins are used to purchase upgrades to your more physical gadgets, such as new lenses for your clockwork mask, or an automatic reloading system for your hand crossbow. And lastly, whale bone charms are equipped to give you small perks of a sort, such as gaining token amounts of health from drinking water, or swinging your sword slightly more quickly. Charms are randomized as well, so you'll rarely find one in the same place between playthroughs. Taking the elements the game gives you and combining them is where the real gold is, and every solution you come up with is something you created, not you being funneled through a narrow pathway or being told to do things a very specific way, as is common with modern games. This isn't a game where you're disappointed by hitting yet another invisible wall - this is a game where you're thrilled by discovering that yes, that did, in fact, work. 10/10.
    Story: And this is where the game truly gets into its stride, and this surprised me. Before I played the game, I was expecting a thrilling experience, not really a complex story, or good characterization. Dishonored had the courtesy to hand me everything. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the story is intense and emotional, despite the fact that it can only really be advanced between missions. But it's not the pre-set story that's the best element here, no... it's how the player's actions impact the curve of events. The game gives you tools of death; it gives you a pistol and crossbow, it gives you mines that fling razor-sharp shrapnel in a metallic tornado, it gives you a power that summons a swarm of ravenous plague rats, but it also gives you a warning: if you take too many lives, the story, characters, world, and even you will change for the worse. Many disregard the warning, much like I did... and were left distraught when, at the very end, the game solemnly held up a mirror. There are games with intense stories and endings that make you tear up, but there is NOTHING as harsh as this. Games like Mass Effect or Spec Ops: The Line, as much as you can impact events in the former, are sending you along a predetermined path. The ending isn't a product of your actions - it's simply affected by them. When Dishonored came to a conclusion, I knew that all the horrible things that had happened were MY fault, not because I'd been forced to take lives, but because I'd CHOSEN to. 10/10.
    Conclusion: Dishonored was everything I'd hoped for and so much more. This game is a work of art, and you owe it to yourself to play it any way you can. It doesn't matter what the magazines say, this is my game of the year without a moment's thought.
  33. Oct 10, 2012
    This is one of those gem games, that you always try to search for and search for, and once you find it you get that feeling in your body of "Holy s**t, this game is amazing." The story is fantastic, the type of NPCs you meet are all very unique, and the varied play-style they offer is something all games should have. Every game I play I mostly space-bar right through the story, I'm not a lore guy at all. But this game, the atmosphere, the vibes you get from the environment just pull you into the story and you actually enjoy it, and want to see what is going to happen next. You also have the power to change up the story a bit depending upon what choices you make. Expand
  34. Oct 9, 2012
    This is one of the better games that I've bought in the last few years. It exceeds guild wars 2, battlefield 3, and many others in terms of how much I've enjoyed it. The gameplay is smooth as silk, and you get very immersed when you are stalking your prey. Huge fights give an adrenaline rush from all of the unpredictable chaos that happens which is a big bonus. I'd give it a 10, but the game is a little more cartoony than I would have expected, and the blood effects leave just a tiny bit to be desired in your killing sprees Expand
  35. Oct 9, 2012
    Dishonored is definitely game of the year. not only is this game a great time, its also a prime example to the gaming industries that a game with great story will much more draw an audience rather than grapics, or saving merica. This game is going down in my back as the best game of the year. Thank you!
  36. Oct 27, 2012
    Amazing game. If this was made in a shinier engine, the stealth was a little more challenging, and the game had a couple more missions to it... it would be my GOTY for 2012 hands down. Sadly I can only give it a 9 as despite having an amazing art design, brilliant gameplay, high replayability (of at least 2x required to see mostly everything), intriguing story/characters, and a nice atmosphere/sound effects/music, the problem with this game is just that it isn't challenging enough... you start the game and the first few levels feel awe-inspiring, but once you realise the terrible limits of the vision of the AI you really are too overpowered for any mission without getting a single upgrade. (And the upgrades are lots of fun, but they make the game become a theme park rather than the gruesome travesty that the story seems to think you are in). Still I highly recommend it. I don't know what my GOTY for 2012 is going to be, so this could still be it, but Dishonored 2 on UE4 or some other engine would just about blow my socks off. Please make it happen Arkane :) Expand
  37. Nov 17, 2012
    If you're after a stealth-em-up that's more story than mini-game (i.e. not another assassin's creed) then this is it. Dark and steam-punky, this is the game that us Thief fans have been needing for years. So...

GOOD: stealth game-play is awesome, world has depth and is well designed, visual style is carefully considered, voice acting is good. Did I mention the stealth game-play? It's
    really brilliant, especially if you're one of these gamers who can't drop a mission until you've done it perfectly.

BAD: fairly short, even if you re-play for achievements and alternative endings - this is the second game I've re-played in 5 years, and I'm still putting it away after 25 hours; a single walk-through could take less than 7. BTW, not a shooter!!! If you're expecting sparkling gun-play, go to Deus Ex or COD. Overall, I absolutely loved this for being brave and giving us a truly new, carefully considered world alongside some amazing stealth game-play. Sorry that it's such a play-and-put-away game, but that doesn't make me regret the purchase at all.
  38. Oct 10, 2012
    wow!!! is this game good, all the areas are unique and around every corner u spend alot of time exploring areas are geniunly interesting and i havent played a game like that since half life 2 this is definatly a special game buy it without hesitation !
  39. Oct 10, 2012
    I haven't completed the game's campaign yet but it's game-play is great, the art-design of the game's environment makes an applaud for me. The setting of the game is unique and original. What else could I say? One problem I did not enjoy was the NPC s suddenly shooting something at me out of nowhere and stopped. A minor bug I suppose?
    9.5/10
    Still, another Great Game Of The Year.
  40. Oct 11, 2012
    Dishonored is by far the best game Arkane studio ever released.
    It offers much more than the usual "stealth" games.
    This is not a game where you get 3 choices for a mission. The choices being stealth, negociation, and force.
    Here you will get 8 or more choices. You can mix them up, you can do go everywhere, no part of the map is closed to you because you chose to go the bloody way. The
    areas are completly open (even though there are loadings between each, which are VERY short, around 1 second for me between each area), and you can sneak everywhere looking for the best ways, instead of being pointed to one direction by the level design.

The game really let's you play. Once you are dropped in a map, it's up to you to do anything you want. And it is SO satisfying.

The setting is absolutly incredible. The world is believable, and so well crafted. The graphics won't win a polygon count, but they are just beautiful. Ignore the people saying the texture are low res. It is not true. They just "seem" that way because of the "water painting" style the artists chose. Proof can be seen all over the map, writtings on walls and billboards can be read very clearly, if the textures was low res, it would not be possible.

The voice acting is excellent, and NPCs will interact between each other when close.
    For exemple, I was about to kill one guard by jumping on top of him, when he started to chat with a maid, I got curious and waited to see what it was about, at the end of the little chat the guard said with a sigh "Is this what it's going to be like when we are married?". This were 2 randoms NPCs in a house, not important quest related NPCs, and suddently, they became "more real". And I couldn't kill him.
    Another favorite of mine, is when guard patrols and they whistle lullabies our mother would sing us when we were babies. It adds to the setting, and the feeling of despair. Everyone is afraid, everyone is at risk, and so when they whistle to relieve their mind, they go back to a happier time, when their mothers used to sing for them...
    Just beautiful.
  41. Oct 11, 2012
    BUY THIS GAME IT IS AWESOME. There, you don't need to read my review. But if you stick around, ill explain you why this game is probably the best game you will play this year. Dishonored takes you in this magnificient, plague-ridden diesel-punk (or whale-punk) universe, where you take the role of Corvo, the lord-protector of the empress, falsely accused of her murder. Within this setting of vengeance, you will, sneak, assassinate, knock out, shoot and teleport your way trough many and deeply satisfying assassination missions. Freedom is the main aspect of arkane's game. Tough it is not an open world game like Skyrim, exploration is both rewarding and really fun to do, thanks to the many upgrade items, lore objects scattered throughout the city of dunwall. Exploring that environment is fluid and fast, thanks to a smooth navigation system that works really well. It is rare to have that much mobility in a first person view. When you are not going from rooftop to rooftop, searching of a treasure, you are killing... or not. the number of possibilities to achieve your objectives is almost endless. Just in the first mission after the prison escape, i could think of at least 20 different ways to end my target, one of which was non-lethal. Thats the beauty of the game, you can play the missions many different times, as not only there are many ways to do a mission, but also because loot and guard patrols are random. Some peopples are hesitating in getting the game, unsure if the fun will last. Well, i would say that the time required to play trough the game varries from one person to an other. If, you are an idiot, that doesn't get the main idea of the game, that plays on easy and never explore or do side quests (yes there are side quests and they are surprisingly amazing) you might end the game in six hours. But, if you take your time with it, explore, play at a high difficulty, and try different ways to achieve your goals, well, lets just say i am in the second mission and i have already played 10 hours. In conclusion, this game will blow any hardcore gamer away. If you are tired of the same old IPs, well there is the game you seek. Minors complaints: i think there could have been more conversations with the Npc's and the graphics, tough beautiful are somewhat underwhelming. My score would be 9.7, I hope this review convinced you at least a bit and if it didn't, just check the meta score. Expand
  42. Oct 15, 2012
    It doesn't have the best stealth (the Blink ability is a mixed bag; it opens up for some interesting tactics, but can make sneaking a bit TOO simple in some environments) or the best action ever (only three weapons not including your powers, some of which are impractical in combat) but it makes up for it by offering a breadth of freedom and choice to the player while still being approachable to players who are more used to simply following a linear path. There's an "obvious" solution to your missions, but there's also less obvious solutions that are often more satisfying than the former, encouraging you to really explore and weigh your options. Some people still say it's too linear. To these people I have to ask... how open do you really expect this sort of game to be? Even Deus Ex and Hitman have a finite amount of ways to approach objectives, and this game is still pretty open.

I's not a perfect game but coming from a fan of Deux Ex and Thief it's a heck of a lot of fun and does more things right than it does wrong. I can only imagine most of the people who are actually rating this game as a 5 or lower are nostalgia-goggled, disillusioned old gamers who won't be satisfied with anything other than the games they played as kids.
  43. Jan 31, 2013
    A great game, let down by some very minor issues. The stealth is fantastic. There is a tendency in stealth games for there to be a lot of waiting around for someone to walk away, and then a lot of sneaking up behind them only slightly faster than their walking pace. The blink skill completely eliminates this, and keeps the gameplay to a great pace. The story is pretty generic- your classic revenge plotline with a slightly disappointing twist. The graphics, however, are astounding, and the sprawling level design is always fun. The main problem with dishonored is length, balance and the whole moral choice thing. The game is only about 6 hours long, even when doing it stealth-mode, albeit a very enjoyable 6 hours. The balance is a problem because once you have acquired the power to teleport long distances, possess enemies so you can literally walk through tricky bits, and stop time, there's not much that will really get in your way. I found the moral choice thing a problem because there are realistically only 2 ways you're going to play this game: trying to get no kills at all, or killing everything that moves. The problem is, for a game that encourages stealth, with lots of ways to complete a mission and special extra challenges for people taking the non-lethal approach, most of the gear is designed for the lethal approach. I found that I never used grenades, my pistol or most of the powers when doing the stealth approach, and in doing the lethal approach you miss out on most of a game that was DESIGNED around being stealthy. The game would have definitely been a 10 if it didn't have the binary moral choice, I wouldn't mind it if it had some middle ground, with lots of possible endings. Even so, it was one of my favourite games of 2012, with some REALLY cool ideas and lots of originality, and fantastic game mechanics. I know that a second game is in planning, due to the success of this one, and I am really looking forward to it. Despite its flaws, I would definitely recommend this game, it is a lot of fun. Expand
  44. Nov 4, 2012
    It's a mixture of Hitman,Bioshock and Assasin Creed which makes it stunning. Thumbs up for " maps(gorgeous distopian city), puzzle(finding bone charms and runes,also diffrent pathways you can reach your goal), other side tasks". One can choose to kill every enemy on his path or chose not to be seen(using magics and maps) to achive his goal. Thumbs down for 'story' which is predictable, otherwise it's like 'Game Of The Year' to me. Expand
  45. Oct 18, 2012
    I am a person that almost never finishes a game. All games lose my interest halfway into them. I've even lost interest in Skyrim but I do go back and play once in a while Other games that have kept my interest are Mass Effect. Anyway, I loved this game and it kept my interest throughout. I finished it today. Awesome game!
  46. Jan 18, 2013
    Amazing game, I absolutely love it. If you enjoy action, adventure, stealth, the freedom of choice then buy this game. The story is good, the setting is dark and despairing, the gameplay is so much fun. There is a lot of ways to progress through a mission and the choices you make effects the world around you and it's people. You can choose to play with stealth and not to kill anyone or you can be a ruthless assassin that leaves none alive. Also, this game has a lot of replay value, you can complete the game numerous times and not get tired of it. Expand
  47. Nov 18, 2012
    Although I have some issues with the story and the difficulty balancing throughout the game, I find this game a must play. The level design is at its best, giving players tons of ways to clear objectives. The game is concentrated fully on gameplay, having few cinematics, which works well in this game. The atmosphere is great, the steampunk universe is very well created.
  48. Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't played Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 isn't out yet, but for now, best game of the year in my opinion. Original and interesting storyline, amazingly diverse and engaging gameplay and very good graphics. Overall, a great and complex game that every gamer should play at least once.
  49. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome, fantastic, great , immersive etc..... Arkane is a little French studio, but they give us a AAA game, an amazing Blockbuster with vintage and mature gameplay. It's an old school game ??
    One of the best game I play this year : a GOTY ?!??
    I derserve it.......
  50. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed out world coupled with some of the most creative emergent gameplay I have seen in a long time. Most of the time when games offer you "choices that affect the outcome", it usually comes down to a handful of moments where you choose dialogue option A or B. With Dishonored, it's all about what you actually do, in every moment in the game. Wanted posters with your face only show up if you get caught, the stories different guards tell about your actions differ according to what you actually do. And the freedom the game gives you goes beyond the Gears of War style "choose the right or left path". In any given assassination mission there are countless ways of going about your goal, and you can go the whole game without killing anyone or kill everyone you see. The powers the game gives you are an absolute blast as well. As far as the world goes, characters are fleshed out and the plot, while simple in a way, is not so much a tale of the good guys versus the evil guys, but more a tale of the seductive nature of power. Issues are minor and I am shocked at how well stealth and combat complement each other. Get this game. Expand
  51. Oct 12, 2012
    Simply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game is polished and not a technical issue in sight (for me). I took a quick break to write this review and going straight back now. People are saying it's a short game, but I prefer quality over quantity any day. I'm yet to complete Dishonoured but know I'll start it all over again to find missed items and improve my score. I have no idea how/why people are scoring this so negatively. This has been (easily) the best game I've played all year. Expand
  52. CBZ
    Oct 16, 2012
    Great game, probably Game of the year so far.
    Its fun to go through the maps in different ways and find all the different paths to achieve the objectives.
    The environment is very original and maps have many options despite the linear structure.
    Graphics are not top notch but it kind of goes well with the cartoony style of the game. Im playing in normal difficulty and so far the AI is
    average at most but I expect the hard setting to be better.
    Some people are being too harsh, probably because they had such high expectations.
  53. Oct 28, 2012
    Just completed first playthrough and was entertained. It certainly is no 'Thief', but I enjoyed it for what it is and not what it is not. Will definitely replay again soon. Congratulations to Arkane!
  54. Oct 19, 2012
    I am IN LOVE with this game. Best one i played in a long time and the first 10/10 for as long as i can remember. It seems to be very diverse opinions bout it, and maybe its one of those you either love or hate. I simply love every inch of it. Its like a combination of fables atmosphere,assasins creeds sneaking, hitmans variation and Halflife 2´s surroundings. the gameplay is perfect, its fun all the time, really varied where you can go your own way pretty much everywhere. there is this great atmosphere where i really feel im there. Theres i so much to discover that i would just dont care about in any other game, but here i can spend hours on going to small secret rooms and passages cause they all feel so alive and intresting. The controls are supersmooth and i almost get irritated cause there is nothing to be irritated on. loading times are super quick, the graphics are fabulous on many places. the sound is really perfect. Or, yeah there is one thing that could be better, there is almost no music, which actually suits the game good, but i would prefer a good soundtrack. Expand
  55. Oct 16, 2012
    If you played Dark Messiah and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Thief and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played Deus Ex and liked it, you'll love this.
    If you played BioShock and liked it, you'll love this.
    This is, quite simply put, the best game to release this year. The first original IPO to blow me away like this in quite some time, Dishonored takes the best parts of
    melee combat, magic abilities, stealth and player choice and sets it in a beautifully imagined world rich with background story and fascinating characters. The storyline isn't something to write home about, but against the rest of this game one can almost forget there is a storyline and just immerse yourself in the beauty that is Dishonored.

Definite candidate for Game of the Year
  56. Jan 5, 2013
    Great game, stealth actions like hiding under tables - ingenious. Graphic is beautiful, sound - very nice, moving - very smooth, zero any, tiny technical problems, and what's most important, game-play is enjoyable, story is fine and time to finish is very good - about 16-20 hours for me. And there is a tempting to play one more time, but another style, because game see your actions and show really different endings.
    Game is really worth any penny.
  57. Oct 27, 2012
    Beautiful, bizarre game. Just finished it (on normal difficulty). ...was shivering at the end. ...it was a very good experience (for me, who plays for ~30 years already). I reached the best possible ending I think (with Low chaos-level), and it was good. The game was good. The levels were immersive. ...was sneaking all the time, hiding, stealthy non-lethal, etc., and that was challenging. Had to reload a lot of times to get it perfect, but it was worth it. ...many creative / unique moments. Recommended for everybody, who loves stealthy FPS games, utopistic / apocalyptic fantasy worlds and losing him/herself into another world. :) 9/10 Expand
  58. Jan 2, 2013
    Probably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just about stealth or combat, but just as much about reading the environment, planning the best path through it and dealing with various scenarios. Patience often pays off, but is not necessary. You can play this game like hitman, or you can play it like call of duty - it's up to you. Must have game. Expand
  59. Jan 29, 2013
    Its like playing Thief in Half Life 2's city, but better! the game adapts to your playing style. also looks a whole lot better than those 2 games one of the best games of 2012, well worth getting
  60. Oct 31, 2012
    An amazing game, marred by some TINY flaws. First of all, the game's video and audio are fantastic. Although the graphics leave something to be desired, the art style makes up for it and makes the world feel alive and unique. The sound effects are great, and the music is extremely immersible and sets the mood of many locations and levels extremely well.

The gameplay is absolutely
    brilliant. Controls are responsive and won't make you feel sluggish. The abilities and weapons in the game, although relatively lacking in variety, are just enough to make you feel powerful. On the "parkour" side of the game, the mechanics are extremely well made, and also fairly simple, although blinking onto ledges is sometimes strangely annoying. Exploring the various routes to an objective and exploring the levels to find hidden items is fun and rewarding. Combat and stealth is extremely satisfying, with weapons that feel like they have weight and power, and stealth mechanics that, although quite simple, is still extremely fun. The world is filled with books and "audiograph" machines, which helps bring the immersion to another level. NPCs will continuously talk to each and often reveal information about the game-world and also about your objectives.

On the story-side of things, although the game is fairly lean on story-telling, the story still comes from very well. The characters also gain much more depth when you talk to them directly, and also when you use the heart to discover more about them. Although I'd rather have had a longer ending instead of just a short cinematic, at the end of it all, you feel like you've truly accomplished something. The game also doesn't explain some of the other questions raised as well. What exactly was the heart? Who, or what, was the Outsider. Why the hell is Granny Rags so strange? What happens to many of the characters and targets that aren't shown in the ending? The ending, although satisfying, feels rushed.

Overall, it was a extremely satisfying and immersible experience. The only flaws were some of the things that I mentioned, and also the fact that the levels are relatively linear, but they still feel open with lots space to play your way. If you want a quality game with great immersion and gameplay, this is it.
  61. Oct 12, 2012
    A nice and solid game, still wonder how can someone rate a game bad if he/she rushed through it (5 hours? that's damn rushing).
    This isn't a "pure" fps, nor some Assassin's Creed clone, is closer to an RPG than many might think. (even thou it isn't an rgp).
    Someone complains about the setting/lore/story, have you tried to read the books and notes? or to listen to the audiographs? Sure
    the story might have been better and looks like they had to cut it, namely the end is a bit "rushed out", but still if all you care about is killing guards etc you are missing the point of the game.
    "oh my gawd this sport car sucks, took me only 1 hour to get to desto and the landscape was blurry"
    The journey is the reward not the goal. ;)
  62. Oct 10, 2012
    It is a good game. Only thing I don't like is the 85 degree max field of view without unsupported modifications, and of course the unimpressive graphics. Max settings at 2560x1440 it looks like an early release unreal 3 engine game of 5 years ago. There are many unreal 3 engine games with significantly better graphics.
  63. May 9, 2013
    The best game I've played in almost 8 years. The art style is wonderful, the story is gripping, and the controls are very fluid. It's also an amazing PC game, the options menu is plentiful and the controls are spot on, i experienced about 2 or 3 bugs, none of which were game breaking and never had a problem with the controls. There is so much depth and lore poured into this game, it's hard not to get pulled in. I loved it. Expand
  64. Dec 21, 2012
    The best stealth game ever!
    I'll explain why: The world is so dark and refined, the story is strong, the graphics are just awesome the controls are solid it has an unique game play!
    Its possibly one of the best (or maybe the best ) games in 2012.
    If you haven't played it yet you should quickly! Because I'll follow you home, and KILL YOU!
    Nah just kidding but seriously...PLAY IT! NOW!
  65. Nov 1, 2012
    Buy this game. In short, it's Thief + Bioshock in a steampunk City 17. The stealth and world navigation is sufficiently challenging and rewarding. The combat flows well, even in large melees, with the omnipresent option to go non-lethal. The highly explorable areas are excellently done, with only a few sharp edges left unpolished in the later levels. There aren't points at which you're forced to stop and take a look at the beautiful place you're sneaking/slashing through, but dang there should be! I only ever encountered one major visual glitch, which was my held weapon staying in view when I used the mask's zoom on one level. The story is original with some generic features that are masterfully implemented so as not to draw attention to themselves, thus keeping it all cohesive. On the downside there, I felt the Outsider was a weak plot device used as a writer's convenience, which is closely connected to my feelings about the ending which didn't meet the expectations set up by the rest of the game, dropping my rating by one measly point (well, half a point, all things considered). Beyond that, the only pet peeve I had with the game was the fact that doors must finish opening to be closed again. And if that's all I had to complain about while progressing through this magnificently constructed world described in Deus Ex fashion, this game is truly one of the greats. Again, buy it. Expand
  66. Oct 30, 2012
    Dishonored has its drawback, but they still do not mean anything because disappear in the vast sea of advantages.Almost every level gives you several ways to solve the problem + unconventional use of Corvo's power = Dishonored is a very individual and great game.
  67. Oct 10, 2012
    The game was an unexpected joy. So much more in this game continues to impress while the action remains consistent. When action happens you handle it with ruthless efficiency mistakenly reported by some reviewers as 'ease'. The harder difficulties scale well, but again I think there is more to this game than the action. I've spent an amazing amount of time exploring every small home and piece of writing. Listening to the heart haunts the senses and further plunges the owner into the lore in this amazing game. An experience I've had for only a few hours has left me wanting more, and it was well worth the time and money. Story telling rarely presents itself in such an artful and complex manner. I would recommend this to friends and family. The only reason I'm not rating it a 10 is because I'd want my friends to tell me that even though I thought it was good, but they liked it even more :) Expand
  68. Oct 21, 2012
    DIshonored is a curious game. It promotes itself as an open world FP-action-stealth-RPG with a deep plot but at the end of the day after the 20 or so hours it took me to complete the game, I was impressed by it for other reasons. Firstly, the stealth element is mediocre at best, mimicking stealth mechanics of modern action titles such as Deus Ex and the Elder Scrolls. The climbing mechanic is definitely one of the best Ive seen in recently years with EVERY obstacle able to be climbed over/ascend onto in first-person. No more of the **** 'Oh this ledge is too high, my character cant reach it coz they jump liek they're toddlers' or 'Oh noes I cant get overt this barrier coz my character cant jump high enough'. Its called using your bloody hands and body. And finally, Dishonored showed us that. I am crying with happiness.
    Oh yes, they managed to make both the stealth and all-guns-blazing approach satisfying, which is a plus as most modern games of such manner would only reward players who chose the stealth path. The excellent plotline, the world, NPCs and superb voiceacting are also highlights. The ending to the game is nothing sort of heartwarming (though this depends on your choices in the game) and this does not mean its a happy ending (depends on you interpret it - I say its a happy ending despite what happens). The cons? Its not open world. Thats right. They lied to us. Essentially there are NINE missions, each with a large area to complete objectives. Its not an open world sense like Deus Ex. There are no hubs to visit, no cities to explore or locations to be discovered. You're essentially handed the area for each mission and through their open yet linear multiple pathways, you proceed, overcome and complete your objectives. Oh and did I mention its pretty short? I finished this game in a little bit over 20 hours and that's only because I actually did every single side-quest as well as found almost every collectable in every mission as well as listened/engages in every dialogue possible. If you rush, you can finish the game under 10 hours (a player on steam forums completed the game in 7 hours). Dishonored is an experience. You play it. You finish it. You probably will play it again just to see how things will pan out differently. And then you probably wont touch it again. But you'll still think it was worth it, the money well spent. An excellent, well-rounded title that deserves your attention.
  69. Oct 15, 2012
    After the flop of ME3, for me this is the game of the year. Usually I trust more the users reviews than the paid ones, but here, I thing 8.5 is not correct. This is one of the best games of all time. I love it as I loved Deus ex 1.
    When I first saw its trailer I knew that if it comes out like that and if it isn't vaporware, it's my game. And it did come out like that. And better. So what
    I like about it: 1. the design. The looks are amazing, it has a french touch. Look at the painted textures, the hands of the models, their anatomy, the drawings on the walls, the backgrounds. I'm in the field of graphic design and this game is visually stunning, it has character and THAT'S RARE, I can tell you. 2. the gameplay - draws me in. I'm free to do what I want. Deus ex HR should have been like this (there I always felt walking in a tube). I usually don't like sneak only games, but here I enjoy that part, too. 3 NO BOSSES - at last. We're not 4 year olds to swallow the same game system on and on again - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level - fight - boss - new level... I don't feel the console here, this isn't a console port for god sake. 4. Atmosphere - If you run through the game you miss the game - wait, eavesdrop, sneak, read, listen, collect, look around and a new world opens up, this game has a distinct atmosphere like the biggest games of all times - HL2, Skyrim, ME 1-2, Fallout 3 and so on. 5. The engine - Crysis was one of the best looking games of all times, but even now, 5 years after it's release, you need a bumped up machine to max it out - as programming it was a joke. I can make a game look like Avatar only it would take 2 month for a single frame... Not here. My fps never dropped below 25, and I mean never... Usually between 35-50 - and I play it on my laptop (!).
    Arkane Studios is now one of my favourite developers - french touch FTW :). I liked Arx Fatalis, but never finished, same with Dark Messiah. But this is their masterpiece. If they don't get too greedy (a thing that plagues the gaming industry nowadays - ME3, Diablo3, etc), I'll be waiting for any new games they release.
    I wanted to give this game a 9 (it has minor, minor annoyances), but that wouldn't be correct, this is a 10 game, if you don't know why you miss something. I would give it 11 if I could (+1 for no bosses :) )
  70. Nov 27, 2012
    First off, I suggest you don't read the hypercritical negative comments, as they will just poison your enjoyment of a game that has a lot to offer. Don't pay attention to comparisons with other games either, as they are mostly subjective and not objective. Don't read the professional reviewers, as they either love something effusively, give it lukewarm praise or hate it.

I never make a
    decision on purchase made from ay of the above categories.

If you want to analyse a game, such as Dishonored, before you buy it, check out actual game play videos which abound on You Tube. The data you collect yourself from watching game play is all you need to make your own informed judgement.

I enjoyed Dishonored immensely. I love the graphics and the game play. I was not disappointed. And to the hypercritical negative commentators I say this: if you can do better then let us ee you do it.
  71. Oct 30, 2012
    Imagine if everyone from every succesful game studio on the planet came together and said "right, let's make a game." The concoction they would create would look a bit like Dishonored. The story, albeit not brilliant and quite predictable, is interesting and occasionally grabs your attention. However it isn't the story you'll want to sink your teeth into, but the setting. The steampunk-esque world Corvo inhabits is brilliantly put together and constantly demands your attention. Books fill you in on quite substantial amounts of genuinely interesting background story, while conversations pertaining to the world around you are quite often overheard.

Moving on, Dishonored's art style is incredible. The art director for the game won a BAFTA for outstanding art direction, and it shows. It looks as if Bioshock Infinite met Deus Ex and decided to have a baby, and then that baby then copulated with Half Life's City 17. It's superb.

I liked the graphics. A lot of people are saying that the graphics look "outdated" - first of all, that is untrue. The graphics are reasonably good for a 2012 title - the game uses the Unreal engine - but the fact that the graphics aren't outstandingly good is countered by the extraordinary artistic design. The game looks like an oil painting. (Practically every texture is hand painted) The lighting is sublime, and the fact that every location, from the grimy corpse ridden streets to the massive steel fortresses to the insides of the regal Victorian era houses, looks so beautifully hand crafted is enough to make this game one of the best looking games of the year. But what really shines above all is the level design. If you've heard that finding alternate pathways in this game is a bit like DX:HR then you'd be completely incorrect. The game doesn't just provide you with a series of vents; it provides you with practically endless alternatives. Every one of the 9 levels is basically a sandbox, so exploring them is fun and rewarding.

The problem with games nowadays is that developers want gamers to see everything they've made, providing you with few, if any, alternate pathways to completing a mission. With Dishonored, it's as if the developers didn't really care about you seeing anything they'd made - every time I went through a mission I'd find a completely different path, even if I was certain I'd found every nook and cranny there was to be found in my first play through.

The gameplay is phenomenal. Corvo moves in a remarkably smooth manner, and every action, from stabbing someone through the throat to jumping down from a rooftop, sliding underneath a table and climbing a building feel almost real. The combat is superlative. Crossing swords (haha), slashing someone's leg off, and countering a guard with a quick stab to the face feels not only incredibly rewarding, but very realistic as well. I think the diversity in the gameplay - you can go through the entire game without killing anyone - a true and much needed breath of fresh air.

To conclude, not only do I think this work of unbelievable genius is the best game of the year, I think it's one of the best games of the decade. Aside from everything I've written above, the one thing that Dishonored has that makes it a step up from any other competition is the fact that it is an absolute joy to play. If you're looking for a game that is incredible amounts of fun, as well as interesting and prodigiously well made, look no further than Dishonored.
  72. Oct 16, 2012
    Dishonored is a very good game despite what some overly-expectant clods are proclaiming (thankfully there are not that many of them!). The game has interesting gameplay with quite an intriguing, if rather short, story. The game is not so challenging if you play on the easier difficulty levels (duh) and if you decide to fight every enemy you see (which also results in a darker ending). The game is designed to be a stealth game, not a shoot em up. So, if the player is searching for a challenge (and a better ending), stealth and staying thy blade&bow will present such a challenge. Overall Dishonored is definitely one of the better games of recent times and is definitely worth checking out.

Jester's Rating: 9.5/10 (Limited by metacritic's rating system)
  73. Nov 2, 2012
    Dishonored's beautifully designed world makes an unforgettable experience to all gamers, and the bloody, fun ,mostly-stealth gameplay is extremely polished. Maybe the story is a bit dull, but still the game manages a great gameplay.
  74. Oct 11, 2012
    Replaying through this game is a must. Even within the first level I noticed pathways/things that I completely missed the first time through. So great to see what happens when a company puts so much emphasis on a single player game nowadays. Instead of making a sub-par co-op mode or something they have made the most fun single player experience I have played this year....easily.
  75. Oct 10, 2012
    I can just say AWESOME!! Gameplay is best; There is lot of powers, items, locations, NPCs and more. The Graphics are good, water effect in PC is so pretty; Actually, Grpahics in PC is best but in conoles not. So good for me cuz i'm playing in PC :D. Musics and asounds are good. So if u looking for GoTY, this is GoTY. Sorry for bad English ;)
  76. Nov 14, 2012
    I've been feeling burned out from the games out on the market. A lot of sequals and rehashes that don't really interest me. This was a breath of fresh air. No multiplayer gimicks, no 1st day dlc, no 3 hour campaign like most games - just a solid long interesting story that had me HOOKED. Bethesda, thank you for making great interesting fun games to play. It's not only about multiplayer and you guys always prove that. A lot of gamers just want a rich story where they can immerse themselves in. Bravo BETHESDA!!! Expand
  77. Jul 31, 2013
    Dishonored features a great environment. The city of Dunwall is well built and the graphic style works well. Gameplay suffers somewhat from linearity both in the story and in the missions, but this is saved by the fun of the various gadgets and powers which grant the player a lot of ways to "mess about" in the levels. I don't really see the plot to be that weak, or the levels to be too small. The game feels and plays like a pretty GOOD console port. Definitely worth buying and a couple of play-throughs. While nothing is really outstanding or surprising, it's a solid game with an interesting setting and definitely will give some good memories. Expand
  78. Oct 15, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun. Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic. Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on. Expand
  79. Oct 16, 2012
    Definitely a great game. The most fun part of this game is the number of choices you can make to proceed through a mission, mostly because of the variety of ways you have to do your kills.
    Their main soundtrack (Drunken Whaler) fits the game perfectly, users usually love when guards whistles it.
  80. Jul 25, 2013
    Really, really good game. Be creative with your approach to the objective. Be stealthy and non-lethal or highly lethal playthrough, but with various tactics and weapons, traps, etc.
  81. Feb 6, 2013
    There aren't enough games like Dishonored. It's balanced, beautiful, challenging, addictive and so unfathomably deep I can't even think of a metaphor. Fantastically crafted stealth mechanic, clever and engaging AI and a story that is one of the best I've encountered. The single issue i have with this game is the length of the campaign, but the challenge of getting every mission with the Ghost (not detected) achievement and not kills for the entire game more than makes up for it. Expand
  82. Oct 26, 2012
    When I first heard about Zeni Max consuming the Arcane Studio,I really wasnt sure that they can provide something interesting to gamers because ZM is famous for its RPG's not for assasin's creed style games.But eventually,after playing Dishonored,I realised that this game is far more involving and interesting than even hitman ot assasin's creed.A good mix of action and rpg,unique and interesting atmosphere,different possibilities of ending the game-is not the complete list of all advantages of the game.So I really enjoed playing this game for 20-30 hours and I reccommend it to anyone that is interested in stealth-action games. Expand
  83. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wise and fascinating story, I loved it. Only thing that bothers me is that I have to use Dark Vision all the time.
    Still, it have found a place in my heart
  84. Oct 28, 2012
    Despite my rig being below the minimum specs of the game, I nonetheless bought it on steam, and loaded it up. After tweaking the graphics so it could run on my PC with a good FPS, I jumped right into the campaign, and was so involved in it that I beat it in one sitting. The story was creative, with different twists and turns. But the most impressive feature was how in-control you felt the entire time. You could take down that guard however you wanted. Want to rush in and engage him? Go ahead. Want to silently sneak and assassinate him? No problem. Want to hit him with a sleep dart from afar? The game won't stop you. Want to freeze time and just walk right past him? Yep, you can do it. And unlike other stealth games, it feels balanced. So you are not completely underpowered and can only take a sword swing before dying, instead, you could hold your own easily against a number of opponents. Every choice you make affects how characters react to you, and affect the total outcome. After beating the game with an evil ending, I truly felt as if I HAD to go back and complete it with a non-lethal ending. I'm a long-time fan of Bioshock, so had no problem jumping into the radial-wheel, dual weapons formula. The controls are easy to grasp, and by the first level you are already killing like a true assassin. I have no idea where the negative reviews are coming from. Dishonored reached my expectations and more. My only regret is the length of the Campaign. I'm not personally into the "bone or rune" hunting aspect of the game, so after I beat the campaign on all endings in about a day, there was nothing to do. Hopefully the new DLC will fix that. Overall, Dishonored is a great, innovative game and is like a well needed breath of fresh air before the big names come out to play later in November. If you are looking for a game to play till Halo 4/Assassin's Creed 3, this is it. Expand
  85. Oct 29, 2012
    Probably one of the best stealth games, if not best overall RPG game I have played. It wasn't very long, but I think more devs need to make games shorter to enable more time to be allocated to increasing the quality overall. So much attention was focused on the detail, and if you're the kind of person who pays attention to the little things, you will appreciate this work of art.
  86. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored is a Masterpiece. Yes, I capitalized Masterpiece for a reason. The controls are intuitive and abilities are a blast. The story is engaging and your decisions have heart twinging consequences. The environments are moody and creative. Very rarely do we see such high production quality in video games. Dishonored is a perfect example of video games as art.
  87. Nov 18, 2012
    I rarely play a game more than once or hunt for Achievements. A part of it has to do with the fact that I don't really have the time, but mostly I get bored while playing a game the second time.
    With Dishonored, I ended up doing 3 playthroughs and getting 1000G Gamerscore within 3 weeks. I can't really name any game that gives you the tools and says "Do whatever you want, it's your
    choice" and succeeds on a level that Dishonored does.
    Almost every choice affects the game somehow and there are so many different ways to play a mission that I found new things even during my 3rd playthrough.
    The athmosphere and art of the world is stunning and ambitious and never ceases to amaze, the story is solid and changes along with your decisions. And when I say changes I don't mean you'll unlock another ending - the world actually gets darker and more dangerous the more people you kill, the Empress' daughter you are searching for will actually see a role model in you and your behavior and change along with your decisions.
    This game had me on the edge of my seat, marveling at the many things it does right, but mostly of all at the fact that it is the first game that truly delivers on the saying "We give you the tools, you do what you want". Game of the Year for me, by a longshot and a recommendation to anyone that enjoys games where choices really do affect gameplay and the world around the protagonist.
  88. Nov 24, 2012
    I loved the look of the game from the time I saw the first trailers. The gameplay is a good mix of Assasin's Creed and Bioshock. Stylewise it looks like something straight out of China Mieville's New Crobuzon. Great game.
  89. Dec 3, 2012
    It is a good game that is in line with much of my thoughts.Indeed im looking for a game just like it:better a huge world(although the dunwall city can not be called big),the several ways to complete the quests for players to choose freely(here i have sth. to say,since the game developers come up with this cool idea the collection of coins is not very good,u know i have to seek everywhere to find those coins,that is somewhat insane) ,and a story has connotation.To the other developers i think the last point is the hardest except Rockstars,2K games,and bethesda.But the styles of the other 2 companies are not correspond to the sneak games and their games lack degrees of freedom somewhat.
    I'm really looking forward to the sequels of dishonored and bethesda thinks too.Oh,thats really cool!Forgive me for the poor english as im a chinese.
  90. Feb 3, 2013
    So I have just completed the game again, but this time in a stealthy tactical way and the ending was totally different and defintly a lot more enjoyable, I would still recommend this game to anyone
  91. Jan 4, 2013
    This game is just one of those ground-breaking games that comes around every now and then. You can beat it, play it again, and then play it again, even though you are still following the same story, with variations here and there. It is a fine mix of skill, story, and choice, which is very, very rare in today's gaming world. And to hajducek, you should try playing the expert mode. Not so easy eh? I am so glad this game was created and hope to see more of it in the future. I would probably give it a 98/100. Expand
  92. Jan 6, 2013
    This is my first review on metacritic, and really my first review of a video game at all. I've been a gamer for the last 20 yrs and rarely has a game sparked my enjoyment as much as this game has. I am primarily a pc gamer and recently have been using steam to purchase games for a discount. Most games I feel are not worth the $50-60 price tag for a variety of reasons. Dishonored is one of those games I feel is worse the full price. What it does it does really well. The controls are smooth, on the pc I haven't encountered any bugs, and the gameplay is phenomenal. I think the look and feel is really similar to bioshock and that Expand
  93. Feb 7, 2013
    This game is Great, The story is highly interesting and the combat is smooth and realistic. At first I thought I might come across features I wouldn't enjoy as I do with other games, turns out I enjoyed every moment of it. If stealth isn't your thing like me then you don't have worry so much about it unless your trying to get the low chaos ending then you can just challenge yourself for it or watch a spoiler (I suggest you don't). If your someone looking for some single player excitement then this is the right game for you. Expand
  94. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is so fantastically glorious that I hardly know where to begin. It's style of play is similar to that of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (another great title). Each of the many styles of combat are fun, and there are a ton of ways to experiment with the combat here. The story is excellent, and every bit as immersive as the gameplay. One of the best things about this game is that the choices you make, as well as how you handle conflicts, have a huge impact on the final outcome. If you see this title on sale, definitely get it. And if you don't, you should probably go ahead and get it anyway. Expand
  95. Feb 21, 2013
    It was a long time since I last played a well-structured game like this. The silent character is unfit for anyone who can't totally immerse himself in a character, i know, but Corvo was great, his feelings quite clear at the end without a single word spoken (at least fr me, but maybe it's just my practice with D&D not so power-player chars)...the rest, is just for the player. Awesome, it deserves all the money! Expand
  96. Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored lives in between many games (Half Life 2, Deux Ex HR, Hitman, Assassin's Creed, etc) but manages to create it's own identity with unique mechanics and an immersive world. It is not a shooter nor a pure technical stealth game in the classic Metal Gear way. First it is a game about choices, and in that aspect it is pure genius. Second it is a handcrafted world inspired by the industrial revolution era, but with some fantasy and sci fi aspects that is simply amazing to explore. Characters are at their worst completely believable plot devices, and at their best mesmerizing performances and dialogues. Third it is a game about refined art. Yes you read well. For example the music was written by Dexter's composer Daniel Licht. If you know Dexter, you know what I mean. Graphics are extremely refined, even in the brutal bloody executions. Clearly this game is targeted at an adult audience. Sadly I don't think that most people will be able to appreciate how good this game is. It is simply a masterpiece that will be remembered for the years to come. Expand
  97. Oct 13, 2012
    It would be wrong to review this until i've finished it, but my initial IMPRESSION in a 9 after doing the first two main missions. The depth grows as you play through this. But only if you make yourself challenges and dont simply combat your way through it.
    Pay attention, listen to what people say, read notes if they seem relevant too.
    Great stuff, and please, if you see a negative
    review of this.. It may just be a troll ;-).. Check their other reviews to make sure. Expand
  98. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a superb game. If you liked Deus Ex or the Thief games, there is a good chance you will love this. The graphical style will certainly set people appart but personally, I thought it looked great. The controls are smooth, combat is fluid, you are really only bound by your imagination when it comes to how you tackle the games. it is a little short, it took me 13 hours, which was not going through quickly by any means.
    But it really is a very good game. As always, pay no attention to the morons giving it 0.
  99. Dec 29, 2012
    Right away I knew this game was going to be good, it is a great mix of Thief, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but you can also go all guns blazing, completely your choice, defiantly worth a look.
  100. Oct 13, 2012
    Very nice game. This is how a sneak/assassin game should be. While not flawless, its a great first attempt by a game studio and refreshing to see Bethesda invest in a indy game company that doesn't end up tanking. My fears of some kind of Bioshock rip-off were alleviated after the intro level. The voice acting cast is the best I've ever seen, though their roles were lackluster. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful. Its noting like a massive jack of all trades like Skyrim, it is simply the master of sneaking style combat and game play. The game is short and sweet by design, but there's nothing wrong with this type of game if it is a complete and fulfilling experience. Expand
  101. Apr 27, 2013

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]