Dishonored PC

8.3

1. Sep 16, 2014
    There's plenty of good to say about Dishonored. The game mechanics are simple and straightforward, gameplay is intuitive and offers you choice in how you approach each mission, lots of options for controls. There aren't any major flaws in the game from a technical or design standpoint - expect for the poor textures. Graphically the game isn't far different from Half-Life 2. Facial detailThere's plenty of good to say about Dishonored. The game mechanics are simple and straightforward, gameplay is intuitive and offers you choice in how you approach each mission, lots of options for controls. There aren't any major flaws in the game from a technical or design standpoint - expect for the poor textures. Graphically the game isn't far different from Half-Life 2. Facial detail is horrific, but that's an art style choice perhaps. What really makes Dishonored shine is its immersive game world. It feels well-crafted and you can tell there's a lot of effort gone into making the story and context as polished as possible. However, despite all its efforts, Dishonored feels somehwat lacking in one major area: completeness. By that I mean it's so linear and unvaried, it feels more like a demo. Why do I have this opinion? Perhaps it's because I rarely got to use any of the upgrades I bought or engage in combat. And although the game doesn't present you with lots of pointless choices and text walls and RPG elements that don't affect gameplay, the level design is certainly lacking in gameplay variety. Yes, each level is well-thought and detailed, but the actual gameplay is extremely repetitive. I played the game on Hard and it suffers from the same problem as Hitman Absolution - that it's too easy to be stealthy. The game rewards you for not killing anyone and being sneaky. For this reason (because of the achievements), it's tempting to be tactical in your approach. Although the game's mechanics and tools and AI accommodate for this, the excitement is definitely lacking. Furthermore, should you choose to engage in combat, there is no real fun to be had there either. With just a pistol (or bow) and a sword, it's very basic. Fast, granted, but not fun. The supernatural abilities are indeed a great feature of the game and don't feel out of place, however as with everything in this game, they're ultimately unrealised potential. Never in a level was I forced to think creatively or use the level and my abilities/weapons etc. to make a meaningful impact in any way. I'm not saying that the game should be open-world or an RPG, I just think that it's been heavily cut down in order to make it linear and easy to finish in a relatively short time. The developers went through so much trouble to build the game world and story, yet none of the characters felt well-developed at all. Granted, the story is good, but it could do with so much MORE. Same with the levels - good, but need MORE VARIETY. You spend so much time exploring the levels finding journals (lots and lots and lots of text which isn't really worth reading), collectibles and money, yet in the grand scheme of things they're absolutely useless. All those upgrades for nothing! And the choices? Well, they seem meaningful at the time but don't really impact the story overall.

Bottom line: great foundations, unrealised potential. "Underdeveloped" is how I would sum it up. It'd be interesting to see how the next game turns out. Dishonored is a good game on its own but is a bit disappointing because it makes out to be so much more than it actually is.
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    Flavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try toFlavorful and graphically stylistic steampunk-style FPS brought to you by the makers of Orc Kicking Simulator with Conveniently-placed Spike Traps. Even though the melee combat is fantastic, you are made of paper and the game is designed to be played stealthily; I feel a lot of the tools provided to you are half-thoughts, only thrown in to appease the console audience who wants to try to run-and-gun through a stealth game. This brings forward another problem: not enough non-lethal options. The whole game can be beaten by blinking behind enemies, choking them, and hiding the body in a dumpster and, sadly, this is the most effective way to beat the game.

For being so plot-centric, Dishonored's story is disappointingly predictable and the ending boils down into two paths (high or low chaos). Dishonored is missing something thematically at it's core but I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps this is one of the few FPS games that would benefit from stylistic cutscenes instead of locked & zoomed camera interludes.

Dishonored is a refreshingly creative stealth game with very stylized graphics that will stand the test of time (the same can't be said for the gameplay sadly). I think this is worth playing but it is disappointing to see what could have been if Arkane stuck to creating solely a strong stealth game.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    I dropped this game after 1 hour playing. The story was not appealing to me at all. Work as a guard of your wife? I wasn't fond of the artistic setting. The gameplay is nothing new. And it's definitely more linear than the games used to be in this genre.
  4. Sep 15, 2015
    One of the better games in the stealth/action genre. It has excellent design philosophy and quality - close to the standard set by half-life 2.

Compared to Metro Last light, this has better gameplay mechanics, especially when stealth is considered. Its a very good port. Controls are very smooth, FOV is adjustable, you can pause any time, cutscenes can be skipped, alt-tab works well, levels load fast, and there is a nice old-fashioned manual save system. It even resumes reliably from S3 sleep. The writing is above average. Although linear, levels are well designed with multiple routes to objectives. Voice acting is good, but american - I would have preferred europeans in this victorian industrial setting. The graphics are technically average, but artistically very nice. All the textures are based on watercolor art instead of photos - it looks lovely.

This game is good, but some things prevent it from being great: The gameplay is solid, but we have seen it all before - it is very mainstream and not “realistic” - guards are as dumb as usual, and if I had to sneak past one, there was always a perfectly placed cover object etc, and I would roll my eyes. The game is also not very “large” - it was probably made on a modest budget by AAA standards. I also do not like the dark magic theme (though I do like the steampunk theme).

Overall, this is a quality game I can easily recommend.
  5. Jan 8, 2013
    If you have a high end gaming pc and want a high end experience do not get this game. The water color textures are terrible. Just to get this game to look good takes build prop edits and a course in Nvidia Inspector. But other than the terrible visuals the game play by itself is really fun and the sound is awesome. I got 10hrs into the game before I uninstalled it.
  6. Oct 16, 2012
    It's mediocre fun, as i knew it would be. In all honesty i prefer the old Thief over this thing any day. It has a lot of good ideas, albeit sometimes poorly executed. It demands a very high suspension of disbelief, even with menial things. The AI is surprisingly dumb. It seemingly boasts with open world and lots of choices, but that's a lie. There's only one large area and a dozen doorsIt's mediocre fun, as i knew it would be. In all honesty i prefer the old Thief over this thing any day. It has a lot of good ideas, albeit sometimes poorly executed. It demands a very high suspension of disbelief, even with menial things. The AI is surprisingly dumb. It seemingly boasts with open world and lots of choices, but that's a lie. There's only one large area and a dozen doors leading to a handful of other, smaller areas. It tries very hard to be the Thief of this generation but humbly fails, in my opinion. I read somewhere that Dishonored's stealth system that was supposed to be based on Thief's but was discarded because it was too "unrealistic". Instead they put a system where the only direction an enemy faces is straight, so even in broad daylight you can stand above an enemy's line of sight and they'll be none the wiser. There's also the superpower that lets you see through walls. I really don't get if they were being sarcastic, or just plain old stupid, but there it is. The story is a cliche mish-mash, set in a fantastic but very unbelievable world. All in All, i liked playing it for a short while, but when i stopped there was no real craving for another run. After Thief 2 I was left with a void for a good sneaker installment (Thief 3 was ridiculous, aside from the Asylum mission). This comes close, but i don't think this is IT. Rent before buy is my advice. It might not be your 50$ cup of tea. Expand
  7. Nov 24, 2014
    It's a stealth FPS which follows the path of Corvo, who is wrongly accused of murdering the empress. So begins your journey through a vivid, interesting steam-punk world.

Anyone into the Thief games or stealth in general will find something to like here. This game however, also features an impressive ability set of "magical" powers that you can acquire through runes and bone charms throughout the game. Some of these completely change the way you approach situations and are most welcome additions.

The only thing I was not to keen on was this "choice" you have over low or high chaos (stealth and not killing anyone or slaughtering everyone in your path). The game keeps on telling you to not kill people if you want the "good" ending, yet by doing so you miss out on some of the most fun powers and mechanics in the game. It's saying, here is an arsenal of cool stuff, but don't use them.

Anyway, a great game in most respects that I would recommend to anyone interested in the genre.

Jimbo Rating: 7/10
  8. Oct 10, 2012
    Dishonored provides solid assassin gaming experience but remains very short. Some of the skills in the game make playing almost too easy. Graphics are a bit old compared to now days standards but it doesn't ruin the game.
  9. Nov 24, 2012
    This is a solid game, well-made, beautiful, a story line that keeps you interested most of the time, and game-play that allows for a diverse enough range of possible ways to finish any given mission to keep it interesting. However, there are some things about it that make it not worthy of the incredible reviews it has been getting. The missions are quite linear, there's little thatThis is a solid game, well-made, beautiful, a story line that keeps you interested most of the time, and game-play that allows for a diverse enough range of possible ways to finish any given mission to keep it interesting. However, there are some things about it that make it not worthy of the incredible reviews it has been getting. The missions are quite linear, there's little that motivates you to go too far off the beaten path, no real reason to explore the nooks and crannies. The missions themselves are usually pretty similar in nature each time (you can meet them with different methods, but still basically the same kinda missions), there are a few missions that are a bit different, but not different enough or unique enough to really warrant much mention. It seems like this game would have benefited from a better upgrading system, the upgrades you can get are not very exciting, thus there is very little motivation to strive to find more coin to reach for that next awesome upgrade, nothing like that at all. It's an enjoyable game, and I'll continue playing for some time still, but once it's run it's course I probably won't ever come back to it for further play in the future. If they made another Dishonored game, but instead of trying so hard to make the stealth aspects the major gameplay mode, they shifted it into more of an action and exploration oriented RPG with a more open-world feel to it, this game would be great. I think that's where this particular game would meet it's highest potential. Expand
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    Dishonored is beautiful, but a bit shallow. Although immersive and stylish as a stealth game it fails at a very important thing grey stealth state. If you are ever noticed good luck, everyone in the immediate vicinity knows where you are (and extra soldiers magically appear out of thin air, too). If you approach everyone individually and stack bodies somewhere none of the enemies willDishonored is beautiful, but a bit shallow. Although immersive and stylish as a stealth game it fails at a very important thing grey stealth state. If you are ever noticed good luck, everyone in the immediate vicinity knows where you are (and extra soldiers magically appear out of thin air, too). If you approach everyone individually and stack bodies somewhere none of the enemies will ever suspect anything. Also, the dark sight skill is pretty much a necessity as it gives you the second best utility out of all, outshined only by the blink. Unless you go for the no magic achievement, in which case good luck to you... It is not a bad game by any means, it just lacks freedom margin there's usually more than one way to reach your objective unnoticed, but the only effective ones involve blink and high ledges. There's more than one way to kill a bunch of enemies, but, again, the effective ones are based on time stop and explosives. And, maybe, the occasional time stop and possession, if you are eager to waste mana. That's the entire game process there's the one boring but effective way of doing things and then there are a number of exciting but time consuming ways prone to failure. Choke him carry him drop him. Repeat N times, where N is the number of patrolmen. Or you can quicksave and try to do stage a mass casualty with rats, razorwire traps, grenades, et cetera. And actually pull it off on your third or fourth quickload. Oh, and Callista takes baths fully clothed... Expand
  11. Sep 12, 2014
    decent fun and some innovative game play. a pretty good stealth game for those who love to play that way. game generally plays well but seems to lack a little soul and depth. it was also way too short with too little actual content.
  12. Oct 24, 2012
    I personally think we have all been tricked. The hype and amount of awards this game came out with is undeserving. I am a HUGE Bethesda fanboy, so I pre-ordered this title months ago, and I am more than a little upset. The more you play the better it gets but it is a sad version of what could be a great game. If you are playing on PC then you have a leg up, if you were unfortunate enoughI personally think we have all been tricked. The hype and amount of awards this game came out with is undeserving. I am a HUGE Bethesda fanboy, so I pre-ordered this title months ago, and I am more than a little upset. The more you play the better it gets but it is a sad version of what could be a great game. If you are playing on PC then you have a leg up, if you were unfortunate enough to get it on console--I'm sorry for your loss. Graphics---Week, Storyline---Seen it before, Concept---Truly awesome... Basically it is Bethesda's answer to BioShock fans. As a reviewer of games as a hobby (Liquid Gamer Podcast), I get to play a lot of games, and this was disappointing. Although the idea is outstanding, the execution is lacking. Hear my full review on the show, http://liquidgamer.podbean.com Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    Look, its a good game.. but its not the best example out there, Deus Ex Human revolution was better executed, longer and had a far more involved story. Its an original world, but not a particularly clever one. Its good, but its not great, and its not worth £30. If you fancy it wait till the Christmas sales.
  14. Jan 1, 2013
    Is a good game and I true what it states, you can play it like you want either as an accion game killing everyone or using stealth aproach, the problem in this game is the stealth is Ok but It could be much better Corvo only has one non leathal take down and it only can be used when you are facing a enemy in the back in frontal assault your only option are sleep darts but you can onlyIs a good game and I true what it states, you can play it like you want either as an accion game killing everyone or using stealth aproach, the problem in this game is the stealth is Ok but It could be much better Corvo only has one non leathal take down and it only can be used when you are facing a enemy in the back in frontal assault your only option are sleep darts but you can only carry 10 and you cant increase the sleep dart capacity so if you run out the only alternative is escaping asuming you don´t want to kill anybody in the game. Don´t take me wrong is a good accion game an a decent stealth game that could be better in the sneaking aspect Expand
  15. Nov 12, 2012
    I've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that itI've only gotten as far as completing the mission where you have to deal with the Pendleton twins at the Golden Cat. But I think it's enough to get the gist of overall gameplay. The game seems to encourage stealth and benign neutralization tactics - that is, using nonlethal means to subdue foes. However, there are more lethal attack options than there are nonlethal. I must admit that it feels quite limiting to the overall approach one should take throughout the game. This is coming from someone who prefers more open-ended games with a lot of weapons and less feeling of guilt as a result of using lethal force to neutralize hostiles. Anyway, I'm not discouraging people from playing Dishonored. I'm just suggesting that if you're favorite approach to combat is putting all bad guys to sleep without being detected, than this is right up your alley. Expand
  16. Aug 4, 2013
    Dishonored is a good game... GOOD not GREAT as many point it out to be.
    Positives:
    - Great atmosphere
    - Enjoyable Combat
    - Good Graphics
    - Great Skills
    Negatives:
    - Extremely short (about 4-6 hours)
    - Short Selection of Weapons
    - Bad Story
  17. Jul 31, 2013
    Very good game with nearly flawless game mechanics. Dishonored is a fun stealth action game with great art design and decent storyline. The areas are rather small, the missions linear, but this is compensated by the fact that you can take varying approaches on how to fulfil the tasks ahead. Maybe a bit too short, and a bit too easy on normal difficulty. In terms of content it is okay, butVery good game with nearly flawless game mechanics. Dishonored is a fun stealth action game with great art design and decent storyline. The areas are rather small, the missions linear, but this is compensated by the fact that you can take varying approaches on how to fulfil the tasks ahead. Maybe a bit too short, and a bit too easy on normal difficulty. In terms of content it is okay, but could contain a few missions and gameplay hours more. The graphics unfortunately are not that great on PC, especially some of the textures are rather low quality. Still a recommendable game though. Expand
  18. Apr 8, 2013
    There are some very good and some very bad decisions behind this game.
    The good:
    There are some very good and some very bad decisions behind this game.
    The good:
    The background, the environment, is top notch. You can clearly see bethesda at its best in the small details, a very good steampunk, grimdark environment gaining some depth with every book you find. The plot is believable, even tough nothing new, and thankfully it's about one city and its government, not another "save the universe" cheap crappy plot. Music and graphics are also very good, and you can see that a lot of work went into this game. In fact, while horrible messes like Mass Effect 3 are probably mistakes to blame on a corporate timetable imposed on the developers, the problems of Dishonored are mostly about the game mechanics themselves.
    The bad:
    The stealth is quite shallow, being built around skills that allow you to blink around and stop time. It is in fact a better game if you simply refrain from using such skills most of the time, but you will come across some section which will force you to do that. Going for a killing spree is just plain boring, and I wouldn't recommend that, in the same way I wouldn't recommend it in Deus Ex HR.
    The game also has pretty much no replay value. Maybe I'll pick it up again in some months, and then forget it forever.
  19. Nov 1, 2012
    This game had a rather poor storyline. Quite uninteresting. The gameplay does redeem the game over time, but it also has some flaws unfortunatly. It's pretty much a blend of thief 1-2 with a more action type of roleplay like bioshock. They try to convince you that your actions have consequences but the different paths you can take a truly dim, you won't find Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's gateThis game had a rather poor storyline. Quite uninteresting. The gameplay does redeem the game over time, but it also has some flaws unfortunatly. It's pretty much a blend of thief 1-2 with a more action type of roleplay like bioshock. They try to convince you that your actions have consequences but the different paths you can take a truly dim, you won't find Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's gate type of choices in this one. Expand
  20. Apr 5, 2013
    This is by far one of the best titles I have played this year, although it did have its downsides which is why I give it a 7/10. Dishonored serves as something 'different' for once, and its gameplay type can only really be compared with games such as Bioshock, but even that series is very different. It was nice to play a game where the storyline wasn't typical, and with the magical powersThis is by far one of the best titles I have played this year, although it did have its downsides which is why I give it a 7/10. Dishonored serves as something 'different' for once, and its gameplay type can only really be compared with games such as Bioshock, but even that series is very different. It was nice to play a game where the storyline wasn't typical, and with the magical powers aspect of the game, it made it feel like your character, Corvo, was special compared to those around him. I found much of the game, despite its cartoon style similar to Borderlands, very eery and creepy too. The sound effects often scared the hell out of me and made me quickly check over my shoulder, and the constant solo experience makes you play the game with full attention at all times. Lastly, the ending was very nice, and I particularly liked the style of it (although I won't go into any detail for obvious spoiler reasons).

Now for the negatives...

The game was very linear. Although it had many collectibles such as runes, bone charms, ammo and paintings, it was a very small world. I often found that searching for collectibles was too easy with the beating heart utility you're given which tells you where all runes and bone charms are. It was also very obvious which paths you were supposed to take to reach your destination, and although you were given a choice between going through sewers, fighting off each enemy or using the rooftops, the level of choice didn't seem overly great. Dishonored was also a very short game considering the price I paid for it. There's no real replay-ability with this game, and without multiplayer too. I felt like the game should have been £15 instead of £25+ at the time for what it's worth. One thing to note however is that I rushed this game, not collecting all the items that I could of, and pretty much just running into combat rather than stealth every time. The last negative was the auto-save feature. I have read online about this and many people agree. The auto-save wasn't the best, and you often found that when you reloaded a checkpoint after dying your were put back to a spot you were on about 10 minutes ago, and it took ages for you to get back to where you actually died. You have to manually save your game after every situation you go through in order to avoid this.

Overall a great game, just needs a lot of tweaking if they make a sequel.
  21. Dec 23, 2012
    I know that this game has been acclaimed by reviewers ...
    I see many reviewers giving good ratings for this game while being quite negative in their review.
    I guess it's because this game has some really nice features but at the same time, a lot of improvements could be done. My opinion : it's not a bad game but it's not really worth playing. My advice to players : play with the
    I know that this game has been acclaimed by reviewers ...

My opinion : it's not a bad game but it's not really worth playing.

My advice to players : play with the supernatural powers and check videos on youtube, it might help you to enjoy the game

Here are the things I would change to make it better :

0- Improve stealth killing mechanism
    How many times, I was behind an opponent, but because I was not perfectly aligned or at perfect distance, I could not "stealth kill" and got detected instead.
    By stealth kill, I mean non-lethal : choke-out holds

1- Improve "see through walls"
    It's working fine BUT what's the point of making a good looking game, if players use X-RAY vision (aka Dark Vision) which makes everything looks yellow ...

2- Improve graphics
    Yeah sometimes it looked great, but for example, faces/visages were not that great

3- Make it easier to have the "good ending"
    At least, make it more obvious, at the start of the game, that it's important to kill as less opponents as possible.
    Let the player knows how many kills (or some kind of indication) he needs to move to the dark side or to get back to the bright side

4- Make a less dark atmosphere
    Is it life not enough dark already ?
    Personal preference.

5- Improve load/save time

6- Make it easier to fight with opponents standing near

7- More original
    Yeah, I felt like playing a mix of Bioshock, Batman and AC.

8- Put less items to "loot"
    As much as I liked to find where were the Runes, I disliked to spend so much time taking money/items everywhere.
    Well, I could have just let the money there, which I did often but when you start a game, you never know if you gonna need all that money, etc.

9- Improve "lifetime"
    I know many will disagree but multiplayer gives you one reason to not rent or resell the game

10- Let us see/hear the hero !!!
    Maybe the biggest flaw

11- Improve translation (french)
    Ok I should have played it in English.
    But for people who can't, the voice of Horatio Caine from CSI Miami for all the guards, seriously ?

12- Let us kill instead of playing stealth and still have the good end
    By playing stealth all the time (or almost), you're missing out on interesting techniques/abilities/strategy. 13- Improve the Blink power Too hard to tell if the distance is too far to be reached via Blink 14- Give the powers earlier in the game
  22. Nov 11, 2012
    Dishonored you incredible sunnuvagun!
    Whales! How could we not have seen it before! They're big. They in the water. They have blubber. They can't run away very well on land.
    Why DON'T we turn them into an energy source? And food? And trophies? And super economy? Heck if I wasn't suffering back spasms I'd drive right on out there and bring it back on the roof of my car to power this
    Dishonored you incredible sunnuvagun!
    Heck if I wasn't suffering back spasms I'd drive right on out there and bring it back on the roof of my car to power this computer.
    I'm sure there will be nay sayers, but I'm sure if I asked a whale if it wanted to be an energy source or not it would just go "waaaaaaaaaaahbbbbwaaaaaaabbl" which isn't even words.
    Not a very sound argument Mr or Mrs Whale. Quite immature.
  23. Feb 3, 2013
    What can I say? What should have been the best game of the decade in my opinion was really a let down by the end. This is not an open world. Yes you have choices to make but, you are constantly reigned in by the invisible walls and set missions. Don't get me wrong, they have a fun game here just looses appeal quick. When you start you expect this deep story line and it can really be summedWhat can I say? What should have been the best game of the decade in my opinion was really a let down by the end. This is not an open world. Yes you have choices to make but, you are constantly reigned in by the invisible walls and set missions. Don't get me wrong, they have a fun game here just looses appeal quick. When you start you expect this deep story line and it can really be summed up like this. "Important lady gets killed, you get blamed for it even though you didn't do it and then a quest for revenge of some convoluted sorts." Expand
  24. Nov 11, 2012
    Not worth $60. I would like to take a puff off what some of these reviewers are smoking (or getting paid by developers to smoke). The game is decent as far a most games go, but where can I get some of that sweet video game payola?
  25. Jul 11, 2013
    so i played the game in the "hard mode" (forgot what its called) and went chaos path and was soso. Very tidios and repetitive and it seems you spend 75 percent of the game in dark vision (which was super tidios switching back and forth. Would've enjoyed the game so much more if it that was done differently. I ended up beating it but it seemed every level after a certain point felt likeso i played the game in the "hard mode" (forgot what its called) and went chaos path and was soso. Very tidios and repetitive and it seems you spend 75 percent of the game in dark vision (which was super tidios switching back and forth. Would've enjoyed the game so much more if it that was done differently. I ended up beating it but it seemed every level after a certain point felt like just another stupid twist and kept dragging on through the end.... my thoughts. Expand
  26. Dec 29, 2012
    Short and one direction. There is no point in replay because some of the achievements are, "play without killing an enemy" Or "Dont get detected through the whole game". So what is the point of having a massive game about fighting and killing when you are punished for playing? Secondly Its repetitive as hell. Its pretty clear that the enemies feel copy paste from other games so once youShort and one direction. There is no point in replay because some of the achievements are, "play without killing an enemy" Or "Dont get detected through the whole game". So what is the point of having a massive game about fighting and killing when you are punished for playing? Secondly Its repetitive as hell. Its pretty clear that the enemies feel copy paste from other games so once you find an easy way to kill say a tank, then you have no problem fighting it for the remainder of the game. The writers put in things for shock and awe that please casual gamers. Expand
  27. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is plan and simple overrated lacking in numerous areas for its hype. The game is an assassination game that punishes you for killing people. The more people you kill the higher your chaos meter rises leading you to one of two game endings. It is more of a stealth hide from people and choke them out game. The graphics are cheap water color texture that while some say is "artsy" isThis game is plan and simple overrated lacking in numerous areas for its hype. The game is an assassination game that punishes you for killing people. The more people you kill the higher your chaos meter rises leading you to one of two game endings. It is more of a stealth hide from people and choke them out game. The graphics are cheap water color texture that while some say is "artsy" is just in all honesty cheap and unfinished. It looks like a PS2 or Iphone game. The stealth mechanics do not work well and hand to hand combat is atrocious consisting of holding down block then clicking your mouse to counter. No combat, no real stealth mechanics, where is this awesome gameplay again? The only three things that are fun are "blink" which allows you basically spring forward, possessing animals, or stopping time. Far from revolutionary and amazing. Sound is awful and so are character models. There is "free running" like most open world games offer now.

High action? Far from it. If you want a high action game go play one of the new batman's or assassins creed. This may be a decent game and give you some moderate entertainment for the VERY short play through, but it is by no means acceptable as a "blockbuster" or game of the year.
  28. Feb 1, 2013
    A very enjoyable game, but also somewhat of disappointment. I probably wanted it to be like Thief more than I should have, and although there are many similarities to Thief, the game-play just doesn't live up to it. The story, design and characters are all superb, and it's proof that a new idea, and a different approach to the typical shooter, can be successful.
    By the time I'd finished
    By the time I'd finished the game, trying to keep the death-count as low as possible, I felt like I'd missed out on taking a more savage approach to the missions. So I replayed the whole game, and tried to kill as many of the bad-guys as possible (and even a few innocents along the way), and it was like a different game. I'm all for choice within game, and a flexibility to how missions can be approached, but I think the game would have been slightly improved by, once in a while, forcing you to take either a stealthy approach or a guns-blazing approach (similar to the Thief games). This would have meant that someone like me, who's default approach would always be stealth, would have had the chance to let-loose once in a while. I know that choice was always there, and I could have done exactly that at any point, but I didn't really believe that the bad-guys really deserved to die. They were just following whomever was in command, after all. My immersion in the game's narrative was actually preventing me from having a bit of fun. Maybe if some of the levels contained baddies who really deserved getting blown-up or an arrow to the head I would have had more chance to use more of my weaponry on my first play-though. There were times when a stealthy approach was the best way to avoid being killed, so these situations forced you to use more softly-softly tactics, but there was no point when a more action-packed method was essential. Sometimes, too much choice is a bad thing.
    Once I did decided to replay the game and in a more gung-ho fashion, I noticed how much EASIER the game had become. I could breeze through some of the levels in a fraction of the time I did when I was trying not to kill anyone, and I started to understand the criticism of those who took this approach on their first play-though and felt short-changed.
    Also, I appreciate the fact that the developers spent a lot of time to make sure each platform was given individual focus, but it still felt as if the PC version retained too many aspects of the console version. The ability to turn off most of the HUD elements, for example, is proof of this, but it took so long for me to figure-out which I needed and which I didn't that it probably spoiled the opening chapter. This is a probably a separate discussion, but you've got to ask yourself why do developers need to add so many HUD elements to make the game easier? If you can turn them off, and are still be able to play the game, then why have them in the first place? If the game needs them then why not just find other ways to offer clues to the player? Glowing objects, a compass and a map with objective indicators are usually more than enough, and have been a staple of FPS games since the Doom-era, so why introduce more clutter on the screen and destroy the immersion? Is it because they think console gamers are generally stupid, or perhaps it's because they're catering to gamers who are too young to play the game, but who they know inevitably will? This seems a far more reasonable explanation, and it's a real shame that a game's rating (18 in this case) shouldn't also reflect the intellect of the age-range it's aimed at. There's no evidence (despite what some may believe) that PC gamers over the age of 18 are any more intelligent than console gamers over the age of 18, so introducing ways to make the game easier, beyond the usual difficulty levels; which generally affect combat rather than game-play; can only be catering to younger players. And that is just WRONG. Anyway, I digress.
    Despite all this, Dishonored was like a breath of fresh-air, and I hope it gives more developers the courage to try something different with the common FPS. And I eagerly look forward to the inevitable sequel. Instead of filling the Thief-void, though, it just made me want Thief 4 to come sooner!
  29. Nov 5, 2012
    Great stealth game but the plot is too predictable. The characters are unique but the endings are too linear. The graphics is good & framerate is very smooth though.
  30. May 20, 2013
    Really nice game, with a stunning amount of detail in it's world, but really, once you master Blink and Dark Sight the only challenge remaining is to find all the content in the highly detailed levels.

A fun, lightweight game, with a hint of epicness, but not quite realised.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 4, 2012
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]