8.3

1. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't quite completed the game yet, but after 15 hours in (i'm quite close to the end, on normal difficulty with all ui elements disabled) I have more or less come to a conclusion about the game.

It's **** fantastic. Very well may be the best money I spent all year on games.

The stealth is engaging, the combat is visceral, the story is interesting, the visuals (i.e. environment
    design, art direction) are phenomenal -- probably the best I've seen since say, Bioshock. I wish I could give it a 10, but there's minor issues here and there that keep it from being perfect -- but it's definitely above a 9. 9.5 maybe.

Wow!
  2. Oct 13, 2012
    I just finished the game and I can say it's simply fantastic. Ignore all of the people saying it's "just hype" or "nothing new" because I honestly have no idea what these people are talking about. Dishonored offers it's own feel with a taste of cartoony graphics in a gritty steam punk world, with excellent and complex gameplay to compliment it. The story is good and though the missions are linear, the missions themselves are a sort of open area where there are many side missions. If you rush through the game like a lunatic you'll probably finish the game quick like a good number of foolish reviewers...but if you actually take your time and play the game it'll last a fair amount of time, maybe just a tad short. Make sure to note that the "choose your own way to do the mission" holds true throughout the entire game, Dishonored does this extremely well.

It's not about making some original amazing breakthrough game that'll make you go insane with astonishment like many seem to think, it's about making a fun game. All in all, no what you say about how original or good it is, it's definitely a very fun game that's worth your time.
  3. Oct 9, 2012
    I've come to expect nothing less from Arkane. Dishonored is everything you could have hoped for in a new IP and more. The beauty and functionality of this game far exceed any idea of standards I may have had. Simply a joy to play....art in motion. Bravo.
  4. Oct 9, 2012
    I've played several hours of this game, and so far there's nothing to dislike in the slightest. Intricate and interesting plot/setting/characters, excellent stealth, fighting, etc. mechanics for your choice of play style, gorgeous painting-like graphics that run really easy on a system but look great, etc. My prediction that this would be the best singleplayer of 2012 looks like it's coming true.
  5. Oct 10, 2012
    Incredible. And I thought Borderlands 2 was GOTY. WOW. I'm blown away, it's a perfect mix of Bioshock, Deus EX and Assassins Creed, or it's a one of a kind masterpiece. Incredible. Just finished my second playthrough and it just keeps surprising you with all the choices you can make. Can't wait for round 3.
  6. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is the best fps action game I have played in a long time. I do not understand what made Bioshock Infinite out-score this game. Gameplay, story, and progression are much better here, though Bioshock gets credit for its completely unique world. The only thing I can really complain about, which is minor, were inaccessible rooftops. This game really catered to my roof-hopping fantasies, so when an inaccessible roof was encountered, I would get annoyed. When I completed the game I was not itching for more, so it will not receive a 10/10 from me, but I am still very eager for a sequel. Expand
  7. Oct 17, 2012
    Everything about this game was well designed. I loved the story and the quality of voice acting and characterization in this game was incredible. The characters had very good detailed models and the art style, although it can easily make you perceive the game to be bad graphics, was actually very good quality.

I didn't find the story short, however it was also not too long such that it
    felt as though it dragged on. I honestly think it was pretty much the perfect length. My only complaint is that one part of the game seemed unnecessarily boring and slow, a part in the sewers.
    Asides from that the story was well paced and enjoyably long, lasting a full week of quite high playtime. In my opinion, well worth the money

The mechanics were fluid and you could easily just spam off abilities and murder everyone crazily and the game will still be fun. I personally went for the stealth approach and still found the game incredibly enjoyable.

In terms of good design, the fact that steam achievements that pertained to the story were hidden to prevent spoiling the story blew my mind because it was the first time I had come across a developer taking such a simple step to keep the player experience from being spoiled.

Another example of good design I experienced was (to prevent spoilers I'll stay vague) when there was an escort type mission (there only was one) to protect a group of people, my initial reaction was eye-roll as my experiences with these types of missions tend to be me running around frantically diving in front of bullets secret service style in order to protect the mindlessly running NPC's.
    However what I actually found was that the NPC's would wait patiently and intuitively hide in their initial building beside an alley way until I stepped out into full view in the alley way, thereafter taking that as their cue to run across.

The levels were filled with lots of incredibly nice looking environments and lots of cool little side missions that you could stumble across if you were paying attention (saving a civilian from a bad situation involving guards that you can just stumble across, for example).

The characters were VERY thoroughly developed, with each character having a heap of voice lines to pull from at each stage of the game. On top of that there were audio logs and diaries that they kept. All three of these aspects would change as you progressed with the story.

I have to say, this game was the single most enjoyable game I've played in a long time.

Looking at other reviews I can see that people are making stupid comparisons with other games. People need to realise that not every game ever being made is trying to copy the same set of old games (either Half Life 2, Deus Ex or Bioshock), and stop being pretentious **** They made sequels to all those games and people are still not happy.

Also "Deus Ex" is NOT a GENRE of game.

Honestly, 10/10 would buy again.
  8. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    Great job Arkane Studios!!! Let me start by admitting that Dishonored is not a flawless game. The AI and the stealth system could use some improvement (better overall AI, and a stealth system more similar to Thief's Dark Engine). The game has great art design and story (a little bit predictable, but still good...). The music and sound effect are really good. The city of Dunwall, which is modeled after late 1800s-early 1900s London and Edinburgh is just amazing!!! The world of Dishonored is rich and complex.

I enjoyed the non-linear and flexible maps, and the different powers the player can upgrade during the campaign! That adds a lot of replay value to the game!

I wish there have been more weapons in the game...
    A Great overall game!!!
  10. Oct 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. Its a new take on gaming that we desperately needed in these times of repetitiveness. The art style is unique, scenes and maps amazing. Personally I love the sand box feel and the separated missions much like portal 2. This also lends a hand to those completionists as it assesses your mission stats and you can always work on improving. Maybe the endings leave much to be desired but do we play these games for the story or for the awesome supernatural assassin powers and awesome gameplay? May be a bit easy but up the difficulty and we have a contender for game of the year. I'll rewrite this review after one week to comment on replayability. Expand
  11. Oct 9, 2012
    The game play is absolutely great but the story is not smooth. The combat system feels like a mixture of Skyrim and Deus Ex H R. There are many dilemmas that the player must decide and many hidden places to explore. The player's decisions and skill selections will change where the player can go and cannot go. It means the player must replay the game several times to explore everything.
  12. Oct 9, 2012
    Brilliant game.
    I have played about 2 hours and all I can say is... wow. The gameplay is so well made, the story is exciting but easy to understand, the voice actors are brilliant and the music is brilliant.

The sound engineering is perhaps abit below average and the main character name is silly (in Swedish korv means sausage and his name Corvo sounds really silly) but the rest is just
    top notch. Best FPS since Half-Life 2.. perhaps even best FPS since ever. Arkane Studios have really made an amazing game doing all the right design decisions. Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2012
    Right off the top I have to say this is definitely a GAME OF THE YEAR contender.

The game begins with a bit of linear game play. You are forced down certain pathways, but are given about a half dozen ways of working your way through the environment. This quickly opens up to a fairly large open world. You can tell that Arkane and Bethseda developed this game with multiple play
    throughs in mind. That being said the game is a bit short. If you explore the environments to the fullest you can get about 30 hours out of it. If you run through it you will probably get about 8 hrs. TAKE YOU TIME. you will enjoy it a lot more when you explore.

Overall an excellent game and well worth the money at full price. If the price drops any time soon (which it won't) I would suggest you buy it right away.

Oh and I have a fairly powerful computer... GTX 570, ACER Predator G5900. It runs very smooth on it and the GPU doesn't over heat.
  14. Nov 18, 2012
    I don't understand why some people are giving this game low ratings ! The game is an absolute beauty.. great graphics, great plot, great tactics, great character skills.. enough said... 10 for me
  15. Oct 9, 2012
    This is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player's throat. All these elements create a deep and rewarding experience that just never stops giving. I will be playing and replaying this game for years to come. P.S. The combat is great and the minimal system requirements are total BS. I am running this game perfectly with a 5 year old Core 2 Duo(2.1 Ghz) and gtx 460, on max details at 1080p. Buy this game. It's an instant classic. Expand
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't been able to box this game into a specific genre, or similar game. I really love the environment and art design. You spend half of the time looking around you, and the other half playing the game. I'm really looking forward to see where the story goes.
  17. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  18. Oct 9, 2012
    It did not take me long to fall in love with this game. It feels like you can really take charge or your character however you want. If you wanna rush through enemies, hacking and slashing everything in your sight? You got it. You wanna Stealthily sneak through the entire game with shooting a single bullet? You got it. This game is what I would call a great game to bring Arkane studios on to the map of real gaming. I hope to see more stuff like this from them. This isn't a game that you will follow through doing whatever the next objective is, it is a game for you. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2012
    Dishonored is a truly profound title that separates itself from the market while also embracing what fans love most about the FPS-RPG genre. It has a provoking story, engaging gameplay, and not to mention it's pretty to look at. This is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  20. Oct 12, 2012
    This was an excellent game. From the terrific atmosphere, to the complex back round story, Dishonored gives a fantastic gaming experience. I look forward to seeing if the creators will expand this universe even more. The only downside to the game is that the story is a little predictable in some parts.
  21. Oct 12, 2012
    I really love this game, probably the best game I've ever played. Everything was great: the atmosphere, gameplay, graphics (little cartoony and I like that) and the AI. What I like most about this game is the many different ways you're able to finish it, like 5 different ways to get into a building or killing everyone or leaving everyone harmless. I definitely rate this game 10/10 even more if I was able to. The only negative thing I have to say is that I've finished it in about 4-6 hours on normal difficulty, it's great that there's a mission replay option, though. It's a mix between: Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Beyond Good and Evil and Mirror's Edge. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    great game. runs at 60 fps no issues, contrels really well, art style is fantastic. deus ex meets bioschock with a little of half life in it. best combo ever made. cant recommend it enough, if you are a pc gamer this is the game to get along xcom. two gret games that will keep you busy.
  23. Oct 10, 2012
    This is honestly one of the most creative and unique games I've ever played. And that's coming from 24 years of gaming. The developers struck a PERFECT balance between open-world gameplay and story-driven gameplay, and allows the player to make use of the environment like I've never seen in any game. The art style is unbelievable, the whole game feels like a big painting. It's quite possible that the most satisfying thing I've ever done in a video game is teleport to a rooftop 20 feet above me as I sprint away from seven frenzied guards who's reaction is "huh?" Expand
  24. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  25. Oct 12, 2012
    I am in love with this game. It's soooo beautiful and the world is so well made. I love exploring the levels and finding everything it has to offer. I am playing a full stealth game and it's so intense and fun. If I get caught I consider it a failure and reload I haven't had this much fun in a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
  26. Oct 10, 2012
    Instead of writing a wall of text, explaining why this game is great, I will just name cons that i have found during my play through.
    - Story is a bit too predictable, but nevertheless, ending left me more than satisfied (wich is rare nowdays).
    - Although it is actually a great stealth game, stealth here resides around "blink", rather then the play with light and shadow. In such a dark
    place as Dunwall, I would make a lot of sense to make dark places actually safer. Increasing mana cost of blinking above regeneration value and making light actually matter would have done game much more challenging and thus interesting for me. - Speaking of challenging. I've completed game on "Very Hard", and i would not say it is actually that hard. Sure thing I've avoided any direct contact with enemy forces and completed all missions in ghost mode because playing otherwise would be a suicide. But overall, blink is too powerful both for eliminating enemies and vertical/horizontal movement so with a keen eye and mind you will feel kidna godlike even on highest difficulty level. - "Darksight" ability, if im not mistaken that's how it is called , is done very wrong in my opinion. It has really high usefulness factor, so it will be turned on really often. Question is why would you do it with such an annoying sound and visual effect? - Guards are acting good enough, when facing suspicious sounds/visuals, but their view distance is very limited. Horizontal angle is ok, vertical angle is ok in 90% of situations, but view distance is just laughable. That should have been like 2x or even 3x as it is right now. Still would not be much of a problem with blink, timestop and other goodies.
    - High variety of devices, although only for casual walk through. If you gonna play it on normal or easy, rushing on enemies and dealing with them in most exotic ways then you will use your arsenal to full potential. But if you are planning on going silent, or even bloodless way if you choose so, you will be forced into using same tricks all over and over again. Grenades, traps, pistols, incendiary ammo, fatalities, etc. + all sorts of upgrades to them will be useless to you, coz they will be either lethal, or just too loud to make use of. Wider variety of silent and nonlethal weaponry would make this game a lot more interesting for stealh lovers.

Summing things up, this game deserves solid 9, assuming the fact I'd never give game a 10 just because no game is perfect, but i will just to compensate for some dumbasses giving this game 3/10. Most of my complains are regarding difficulty, but that's mostly personal. Some people might find it hard enough im sure. This game could use some tuning in abilities and gear department to make things a bit more balanced to diversify gameplay, but even without it, it is just one hell of a journey. Your only excuse for missing this game is only if you cant stand sneaking up on people.
  27. Dec 7, 2012
    Dishonored is a steampunkish hybrid of RPG-elements using Melee/FPS/magic combat-styles set in an Industrial-age imperial city being ravaged by a rat plague. It also has a Bioshock vibe to it. If none of that sounds like potential fun for a game, Dishonored is not for you. For the rest of us though, this game is a really good time and well worth the sale price of $30 I paid for it during Steam's post-

thanksgiving sale. Although I thought the emotional attachment was a little thin from a player perspective, the main character's motivation was quite clear, so his actions during the game made sense to me. My only significant problem with Dishonored was that it crashed on me 7 or so times during my first playthrough.

**COMPOSITE SCORE: 8.875/10**

**ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: 9/10**

Arkane Studios gives the player the opportunity to complete the mission objectives in a true role-playing manner. If you believe Corvo wouldn't want to kill a couple of hundred city guards in order to meet his goals, you don't have to do that. Or, if you think he's so angry that he'd destroy anyone in his way, you can do that too. This gives opportunities for varied playthroughs. I recommend going stealth your 1st time, because it's more challenging than rampaging through the city. Save that for the 2nd.

**GRAPHICS: 9/10**

Although Dishonored is a console port, Arkane did a good job at making it feel good for PC gamers. I would have liked more people in the cities and larger areas, but the people who were there looked pretty good, and the settings were fun and looked good as well. I did not like all the fog, but I think that was an artistic choice rather than hardware. Being only DX9 limited how good water looks, but it's still decent.

**SOUND: 9/10**

The sound was solid although not ground breaking. The music was fun though. ...drunken whalers. haha

**DESIGN AND GAMEPLAY: 8/10**

Like I said before, you have options on how you want to play. I don't want to get into what your options are too much, cuz that might spoil things, but you can either move around and kill things really fast, or you can go super slow and sneaky, or you can be somewhere in-between. It's pretty cool. There are definitely easier ways to complete the missions than others. And, the side missions are just that. If you skip them, they don't really affect the game's difficulty... just the ending. I did not like how picky the achievement for Clean Hands is. If someone finds a person you knocked out, that counts against the achievement. I also didn't like how sometimes mobs will completely miss seeing you in broad daylight but other times see you in shadows from about the same distance. Lots of daytime missions. Makes it tough to be a magic ninja with all that light.

**GAME LENGTH: 10/10**

Playing the stealth path, it took me ~28 hours my first playthrough. With the different options to use, Dishonored offers a lot of replayability. People who complain about the game being too short (7 hours) are skipping most of the exploring and side-quests. It would be like doing only Skyrim's main line and finishing in 10 hours... why do it??

Have fun!
  28. Oct 12, 2012
    This game is .... ALL that I ever hoped from a game. That is the reason I pre ordered it with no hesiation.
    Now I've played it and it's just what they told us it'll be and what I expected from it. I love stealth games and Deus Ex is one of my favourites. This game has more ways to avoid enemies than that one and that's a big +. The story is just awesome ( Yes I read every text, poem,
    journal that i find )

There's so much I can say about it but you should try it yourself. You won't regret it. This game is a masterpiece.
  29. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours. Above all, it's FUN. Whereas so many other games want you to fail and retry ad nauseam, Dishonored wants you to succeed. If you make good use of all your gadgets & abilities and pay attention to the environment plus the clues scattered around you can complete a mission without a single reload (on normal difficulty setting). For me, this is the holy grail of PC gaming. To be rewarded, to get this sense of accomplishment and not be punished & frustrated by stupid and unfair game design. Buy it now, you won't regret it! Expand
  30. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approaches feel thought-out and legitimate. Unlike Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which layed out several predetermined routes for the player, Dishonored focuses on building a place for you to explore, and therefore feels much more natural and convincing as an environment. Not to mention the fact that Dunwall is incredibly rich and interesting, both in architecture and lore. The PC version of Dishonored is very, very good. The game runs like silky butter (very few bugs to boot) and there are tons and tons of UI options. And the load times are shockingly almost nonexistent! I would have liked more UI options and I think the FOV slider should go up to 90 rather than 85, but these are tiny gripes.

While I'm on the subject of gripes, the plot is pretty standard fare. Which is not a knock on the writing as a whole -- the dialogue you hear and the books you find strewn throughout the city are very well done.

Anyway, this is easily the best game of its kind since the original Deus Ex, and a strong contender for Game of the Year.

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]