Divinity: Dragon Commander PC

7.1

1. Oct 28, 2013
    Dammit, I wanted to like this game so much more, and I wanted to give it a higher rating, but this is as good as it deserves.

First of, this game has balls. It tries to take so many different genres on: a card-based game, real-time strategy, first person shooter, a Risk-map game. It initially appears to do all of these things good but then the cracks start showing. The platform

The platform for all of these different elements within this game are there; they're solid at first but, then they never seem to fully materialize. Examples:

1. You will never, ever use the Dragon mode, where you morph into a dragon and enter a first-person shooter, during the mini-skirmish real-time strategy moments on the game. It wastes time, money, much needed attention, and the dragon dies almost instantly. A cool idea; however, completely useless. The dragon mode should have been used as a global command, i.e., reign down fire on units, and it would have been just a cool and way more effective.

2. Mini-skirmish games involving the real-time strat moments are just that. Min-skirmishes which recycle the same three maps and same 6 or 7 units over and over in a capture the flag style match. The AI is horrible, even on the hardest setting, and even on a 0% chance to win prediction you easy win as you let the rush your base turrets and then zerg-counter with the cheapest units.

3. The Risk-map portion of the game is lackluster. The AI will suicide bomb you ever chance it gets, only to die repeatedly, making itself weaker and easier to beat.

4. The card portion of the game is fun and interesting as far as turning the tide of battle; however, only a handful of card are actually useful and greatly overpowered.

5. The political portion of the game, such as dealing with the generals wants and needs and/or dealing with different faction leaders is pretty much yes or no. The problems dealt with in the game range from genocide to gay marriage, including a part where one of your generals actually declares themselves, in private to you, as being gay. I can say that I was never bored when listening to these problems and it was a breath of fresh air to see a game handling these issues, but man, your responses to them are watered-down and the outcomes are glossed over.

These are certainly only a few of the games problems, but with that said, I can say the music and voice-acting is top-quality, the graphics are usually pretty good, the humor is hysterical, the story is generic on purpose and makes fun of itself in the process.

I really hope that this game is just a first in the series, and that the devs are able to tighten up gameplay on the second round. But as it stands now, this game deserves to have the public take a look at it, if only for possibility of what it could have been.

I myself beat the game in about 8 hours on the hardest settings, and while I smile the entire time, I gave a sigh when the game was finished, knowing that I'd never go back and play it again. I want to, but not until these problems are addressed.
  2. Aug 24, 2013
    It is odd to see the likes of this game emerge in modern gaming, it is odd and welcome. In these times of modern military/shooter, fantasy/RPG, and other safe bets, to see a game that challenges it and goes straight for a strategy title that focuses on decision making is a welcome change of pace.

However, one can't simply deny that it's great weakness stops ducking under cover once all the talking is done, and it is time to face the strategy portions of the game. These ones lack any excitement and depth, and honestly, are quite boring at times. I found myself just building a bulk of an army and steamrolling all opposition with one of my generals instead of commanding the troops myself. Albeit, being a dragon and burning everything to ashes is interesting, the novelty wears quickly off.

The game shines when it comes to the wife and council managing, however. As the emperor, you have to decide in issues and regulations that are en-par with current ones, shaping your empire as you would shape the Federal government. It's a pity to see, nonetheless, that decisions the player character makes do not impact the gameplay in a more substantial manner; you get some flavor text detailing how much of a jerk or a saint you are when deciding on a pressing issue, a headline on the local paper, and some changes in your income or morale.

All in all, this game is good, it just needs more polish when it comes to the thick of it's real time strategy sections, and a little bit more impact in the decision making. When I started playing I expected so much more, and it fell a bit short, still, it is refreshing to see these kind of more sophisticated games getting green-lighted. I would definitely give it a chance once the price drops.
  3. ERB
    Aug 8, 2013
    Epic game!Dragon Commander is a fine a game and also very fun.Graphics are cool but except for the story but still this game deserves a high score because it addicting and very fun at the same time.
  4. Aug 7, 2013
    You know how people say that things like religion and politics are best left out of conversations with friends? Divinity: Dragon Commander puts these concerns front and center, and places you in the hot seat to make all the tough calls, delivering a real-time strategy experience that, though lacking refinement in some areas, makes your decisions in the throne room as important as the onesYou know how people say that things like religion and politics are best left out of conversations with friends? Divinity: Dragon Commander puts these concerns front and center, and places you in the hot seat to make all the tough calls, delivering a real-time strategy experience that, though lacking refinement in some areas, makes your decisions in the throne room as important as the ones on the battlefield. Jumping into an AI skirmish to get a feel for the mechanics first, I was initially unnerved by what I saw. The lack of any fog of war, combined with the wide-open tech tree, made combat feel spineless and unstructured compared to the precise builds and attack timings of StarCraft 2. The art direction is similarly without organization, with pastel and base colors fighting a little war of their own while I tried to reconcile the steampunk unit designs with their arboreal, fantasy surroundings. After being all but slapped in the face with a generic looking “VICTORY!” screen, and being spat back out to the main menu, I anticipated a long, bumpy road ahead of me.
    Split into three different game phases a point-and-click exploration of your ship and its inhabitants, a risk-style world map around involves strategically placing units in turn-based gameplay, and sprawling battlefields where forward-thinking is crucial Divinity: Dragon Commander is clearly trying to appeal to gamers of widely varying preferences and sensibilities. Though the three separate gameplay phases are tied together and balanced quite well, the RPG elements of Divinity: Dragon Commander are significantly more understated than the RTS game mechanics. The player character’s background, for example, is fixed: you are the bastard son of the recently deceased Emperor Sigurd I and a beautiful woman called Aurora, who was a dragon in disguise. When the old emperor is betrayed and murdered by your more legitimate siblings, you are tasked with defending the kingdom from their squabbles and drives towards expansion.
    Character customization is quite limited to picking one of three dragon types, and the remainder of the role-playing is relegated to making decisions about political and social policies, such as whether or not to legalize doctor-prescribed narcotics, or to start taxing the region’s rich and powerful church. Of course, the player’s actual approach to battles and choosing skills to invest in also allow for a greater sense of connectedness with the character (will you research the best machinery available and command from a distance, or dive in headfirst and start flinging fireballs?) but since going to one extreme or the other is a surefire way to make things extremely difficult for yourself, most players would end up taking a middle-ground approach.

The AI isn't exactly genius level, but it doesn't have to be in order to meet you in the middle of the map for an all-out slugfest, which is what you'll inevitably be doing. Huge deathballs of units (reminiscent of Total Annihilation) collide amusingly while you assume direct control of your dragon, whose customizable ability bar allows him to act as something of a hero unit. Laying waste to armies as a dragon doesn't quite elicit immediate thrills though, owing mostly to how cumbersome it can be to order your legions about whilst in dragon mode. A heavy reliance on awkward hotkey combinations keeps things from ever feeling truly fluid, but once I got used to it, commanding the many unique and powerful units while swooping about and raining death on my foes proved to be a unique sort of fun. As a stand-alone RTS experience, its focus on going wherever your enemy is and getting bloody with them might have rung a bit hollow, but as one cog in a much bigger, more intricate machine, it works quite well.
    Divinity: Dragon Commander definitely shouldn’t be missed for fans of real-time strategy, excelling at the art of tense and exciting battles where planning and in-depth knowledge of available resources is essential. If you were only really interested in the story and RPG elements then the game will most likely leave you feeling a little dissatisfied, but you can always blow up some zeppelins and then fly away into the sunset to cheer yourself up.
  5. Aug 7, 2013
    It is actually a good game. Gotta love Dragons with Jetpacks, flying around destroying everything in their paths.

To the game play, it is not a traditional RTS, you can switch between dragon mode and command your troops via keyboard shortcuts or stay in rts mode. Preferably both to support your units. I find the different units to be quite decent, but there is still a lack of variation, imo. Once you get a unit unlocked and upgraded you feel 'complete.' By the end of chapter 2 I had all units unlocked, with all upgrades, and all dragon upgrades.

There is a bridge system, akin to Starcraft 2, which allows you to research unit upgrades, as well as talk to "staff members" to get more of the story. Each staff member you choose to side with has a positive and negative impact on faction standings within your empire.

Empires have 5 factions, Dwarves, Elves, Lizards, Imps, Undead. Each one has a balance of power. Keep the power 50% or above to receive extra gold and chances to have autoresolved outcomes as a success.

You can only attack with your dragon ONCE A TURN, after that you must auto resolve. This is not as bad as one might think, except your generals can help you resolve battles with a higher chance of winning, but you can only use one general a turn, on TOP OF YOUR DRAGON!!! This creates a few issues and gripes.

The game is quite long but it lacks an rapid fire toggle in the game menu. I find myself having to simply wear my mouse down to simply fire fast enough to destroy most of the enemy bases/units. A toggle to fire in full auto, would be better, especially since there is a cooldown bar for the primary attack.

I am not a huge fan of the "Steam punk Genre," more of a cyberpunk guy, but this integrated steam pumk quite well. Plus... Dragons who have jetpacks...

Now, to the games faults, where it lacks in ways it should not. First of all, the graphics, the dragons are very well textures/modeled/etc. Highest quality in the game... The other units and world, however, are closer to the same graphics they used in C&C3, which clashes with the superb dragon models.

Some of the characters I absolutely HATE!!!! Half of the npcs are pompous/drunken the other half are feminists with a massive attitude issue. The only npc I could seem to find to be... interesting, subtle, and not a complete twit, would be the lesbian general.

This having been said, I recommend this game if you like the thought of commanding a small army and conquering a game world as a DRAGON!!! flying around destroying stuff.
  6. Aug 17, 2013
    A very unique game made for advanced RTS players. The dragon hero unit concept is truly unique adding genres together into the game that make for a unique experience. Characters in the single player campaign are a definite treat each brimming with personality.

Story is garbage. Bad guys are attacking! Fly and save the day! Despite the Raven having multiple choices with policies and your wife they don't change the game one bit except for in the difficulty department. The more favor you have with a race the more population is willing to draft in to the war so certain selected areas are going to benefit a tad more than others.

Characters in the game were fantastic. I loved the voice actors and how each character had their own personalities. This really made up for where the game was lacking in some departments but it's only story campaign so after that then... yeah.

Graphics and visuals aboard the Raven in the campaign are A+ Material. The in-game graphics are not something eye popping or amazing and the maps are frequently recycled making for boring gameplay as you go further.

Controls were AWFUL. Holy crap I couldn't get use to the camera at all and trying to navigate your units is a chore too. You get use to it somewhat but switching back and forward between dragon and buildings and units makes this for a more advanced RTS player. Casuals and people new or not very good at RTS multitasking on a high scale are not going to be able to adapt to this. You have way too many skills to cycle through and you're trying to use your dragon and focus on the battle while tabbing through all your unit types that are in the battle to use their skills while using the skills of the other units and using your dragons skills and building units from the barracks all at once. If you stop building units you're gonna die. Period. I'm a Starcraft 2 frequent player and am very skilled and I couldn't get use to the controls no matter how long I played. It's hard. That's it.

Difficulty in the game is hit or miss. I defiantly could not play on Normal or Hard against the Zerg rush AI. Easy was ok. Casual was way way way too easy. The AI will barrage you in non stop attacks making you rush around and with the poor controls as I said above makes this game overly frustrating and during the campaign the AI will be unrelentingly beating you into submission. Never did I ever catch a break because you're not vs 1 AI but 3. 3!!! So I constantly was defending my base and could hardly ever win any battles and... wow. Just wow. I had to stick it on Casual difficulty or I'd have gone mad.

Would I recommend this game? Are you a masochist? Do you enjoy challenge because of faulty controls and way too much to control all in one go? The game is unique I'll give them credit for that but... yeah. So if you don't mind the things I said above go for it. If not yeah no.
  7. Aug 6, 2013
    At a first look seems like a really nice game with all those fantasy nations and their generalas. When i reached the global chart, i thought: "well, not bad, looks like a game from Total War series" But getting into RTS mode crosses all the expectations. Ugly units together with poor environment and out-of-date gameplay mechanics completely turns me against this game. And even the abilityAt a first look seems like a really nice game with all those fantasy nations and their generalas. When i reached the global chart, i thought: "well, not bad, looks like a game from Total War series" But getting into RTS mode crosses all the expectations. Ugly units together with poor environment and out-of-date gameplay mechanics completely turns me against this game. And even the ability to ride the dragon does not make it any better. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2013
    Divinity: Dragon Commander, while more than the sum of its parts, falls flat thanks to three core failures. First, the game is riddled with bugs. I found myself confronted with occasional walls of unreadable gibberish when I opened up the kingdom status screen. This alone hardly made the game unplayable, but it certainly cheapened the experience. This did not feel like a completed game.Divinity: Dragon Commander, while more than the sum of its parts, falls flat thanks to three core failures. First, the game is riddled with bugs. I found myself confronted with occasional walls of unreadable gibberish when I opened up the kingdom status screen. This alone hardly made the game unplayable, but it certainly cheapened the experience. This did not feel like a completed game. Second, the actual gameplay, the RTS segments, were absolutely horrendous. Divinity: Dragon Commander seemingly offers players a wide variety of strategic maneuvers. However, in my experience, battles generally boiled down to wave tactics. Whoever could put the most troops out in the largest waves in the shortest period to time would, almost without fail, win. In an RTS, battles should not be number games. Having played my fair share of Total War games, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the mindless battles. In all fairness, the turn-based strategy elements work quite nicely. The card system was a nice touch, and the variety of buildings, units, cards, and territory bonuses that corresponded to the player's political choices felt fairly well designed. However, for a game that marketed itself as an RTS/third-person-shooter hybrid, the flawed RTS battles cannot be easily overlooked. Lastly, and this is truly the nail in this game's coffin, the actual core story is abysmal. There, I said it. Yes, it's an interesting premise, but the actual narrative has no real depth beyond the secret of the Raven (sorry, no spoilers for you). I expected the protagonist's siblings to actually have some relevance to the story. Instead, their sillouettes each get about thirty seconds of cut-scene time, and are then erased from the game when their capitals are captured. No epic confrontations, no dialogue, and no attention is paid to the unique attributes of these emperor-hopefuls. What a waste. Once the game is completed (this takes far too little time), there is no real sense of accomplishment. You captured a province, defeated the usurpers, and then defeated them again. You are now emperor, and your choices that you agonized over throughout the story no longer matter. Congratulations, you won an empty victory.

With such a scathing review, you may be wondering why I haven't rated this game lower. For all its flaws, and even despite the fact that it's basically just a Bioware-esque Total War game that fails to deliver on actual gameplay, the politics and turn-based strategy elements, not to mention the characters, somehow manage to keep this game interesting. It's heavily flawed, I cannot deny that, but it's entertaining while it lasts. If you're a gamer more interested in characters than story, and intrigued by choices rather than gameplay, then Divinity: Dragon Commander might by the game for you. Those gamers who want a fulfilling gameplay experience as well as a compelling narrative might want to wait until the price drops. A $40 pricetag for this game is absurd, considering that Total War: Shogun 2 is $10 cheaper and that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is also $40. Divinity: Dragon Commander would be appealing if found in a bargain bin, but not for so much more than it's truly worth.
  9. Aug 7, 2013
    The games narrative side is it's main and only real strength although it to suffers from missed opportunity's, rather glaring ones in fact.

You never meet your enemy's, never speak a word to them nor do you meet there people or your own beyond hand picked advisers and generals. The combat is zergy think supreme commander without the depth the strategy map is risk cards and all. I

I just can't help but think of what could of been, so often the case with larian games though isn't it, "alright, wish they'd been more ambitious" every larian game. A real shame.
  10. Aug 11, 2013
    This is a amazing game adding elements from other great games and I personally love card games which somehow play a part in this game... Yeah I know sounds suckie but it is a great game other than a couple bugs that I have found but I hope that it is fixed. The best part is waging your wars, My favorite a lot of great conversations happen and great moments that I can still remember evenThis is a amazing game adding elements from other great games and I personally love card games which somehow play a part in this game... Yeah I know sounds suckie but it is a great game other than a couple bugs that I have found but I hope that it is fixed. The best part is waging your wars, My favorite a lot of great conversations happen and great moments that I can still remember even now. Lots of fun moments. Expand
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    First of all i want to say that Dragon Commander isn't a bad game. I walk it through in one game session and enjoyed that. But i'll never return to it due to so much flows (in my opinion ofc) i'm going to tell you.
    First of all if you are looking for RTS/TBS like Total War or simular wait for TW: Rome 2. This game is nowhere near it. Something like extra-extra light version and with a tank rush on top. Oh, and with card (like bonuses/penalties for 1 combat or some turns on global map. There are few units that are actually useful (because armour hunter (with aa upgrade) mix just steam rolling everything). Few building you can build (mostly war factories and gold mines are useful). Other thing is that you going to fight mostly on the same 3-4 maps (very small ones) during the whole story campaign. Over and over again. That's not good for sure. Add units, that looks ugly as hell (except for your dragon) both on strategic map and in tactical combat, and all that auto-resolve things will be a blessing for you. Even counting that on lower difficulty levels your dragon is so OP, that you can just go in and win battle that gives you a 10% win chance in auto-resolve.
    And now for the most disturbing part for me RPG. I don't know why but someone in Larian have some big issues with gays. Because i was dealing with their problems more that with anything else. Yes, i was literally like that: "Good day, Commander! Elves wants to allow gay marriages. While undead guys throwing tantrums about it. Also your gay general wants to tell you her opinion about it. Ah, and i almost forgot: go and kill all you sibling because they are mentally challenged and just evil. Have i nice day, Commander!". And you sitting like that with your jaw on the floor, listening to all that crap about gay marriages and not a single word about wtf happened with your once happy family and why you have to kill em. Ok, so the next day comes and here we are: "Good day, Commander! Undead discovered that one of their famous sculptress was a gay and now destroying all her works in religious zeal. Lizards wants to save all that because they don't give a damn about gays, just want fine arts. And your gay general wants to tell you that she is a gay. Oh, btw, did you know that power core of your main ship is actually a big angry daemon?" Ok, while you search for your jaw under your sit again, trying to comprehend the idea of skeletons (that your undead race) having any love relations (for god's sake, leave undeads alone!). While all your life you thought that all they can care about are brains and blood (for that pesky vampires, since they are undead too) at best. And so on. Don't get me wrong, i love the idea of all this political decisions like building roads, health care program and etc. But when game talking about gays, gays marriage, gay generals, gay artists a way more than about you as a Dragon Knight, your family and wtf happened, why there is a war and so on i find this very disturbing. Good thing this is fantasy and then you get completely annoyed you can send all this gays in a general direction of stakes, fires and zealous undead mobs.
    The other thing left me puzzled is "why lizard females have boobs?" Especially the ones princess Camilla have. They are not mammals so there are no reason for lizards to have em (and they actually talking about it in "elves showing boobs" case). Boobs for boobs sake? Sex sells? I think that was a point and this deserves another minus to my final score.
    So overall i find this game mediocre. While i find interesting trying other princess's routes just one thought about all that boring combats i'll have to suffer makes me click on "uninstall". My score is 5 10.
  12. Aug 7, 2013
    Too bad for strategy. Too bad for for tactics. Have nothing from RPG and nothing from original divinity series. Ugly graphics on the tactic-map, bored and unbalanced gameplay, have no any creativeness or innovating. All storyline and atmosphere is complitely farce. Sit down, Larian, your work is unsatisfactory.
  13. Oct 26, 2014
    main problems:
    RTS is.. meh. alright. I could rarely beat the AI directly because of all the micromanagement with the different game changing abilities (charm!!!) but then it was dumb enough to allow defensive tactics to grind his resources down.
    main problems:
    Worst of all though... the dragon just feels useless. and annoying. it would be cool to be supporting the troops, but since they're much more effective when micromanaged, then it becomes irrelevant. And I was always being charged by 100s of troops. If they had any anti air capabilities, dragon is dead in seconds. Hurray.

About the strategy in itself.. well, forcing yourself to pick a battle to NOT auto-resolve is not particularly fun. Why would you force players to be more effective in one front?
    Paying for generals just felt silly, especially in the end. (yay, one auto resolve per turn where you get more luck).
    The cards were interesting but.. felt unbalanced.
    So another meh.

The RPG component was cool. The characters and the story are entertaining, shame it doesn't affect much of the actual game (if one faction really hates you, get less support in some regions.. ). but it's always cool to mix up a bunch of politics with a weird set of races.
  14. Apr 10, 2015
    It is a great game but if you are good at it and plan your moves well ,it is just too short ,I finished it in around 5! hours and it was very easy. This is crazy...

1. PC PowerPlay
    Sep 25, 2013
    Inventive, funny and a whole lot of fun. An excellent way to break up the over-serious grind of most strategy titles. [Oct 2013, p.82]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 9, 2013
    Complicated, difficult, different. A true strategy game for the gamers with classical tastes, who have time and will. It's also a pleasant blast from the past, when a genre template was not an option. [Issue#233]
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    A weird but interesting hybrid that mixes RTS, RPG, board game and trading card game mechanics in one delightful experience. Unfortunately, even if the mix works, the singular gameplay components aren’t deep enough and the game itself is mined by many minor issues.