6.6

1. Jan 29, 2013
    Game was pretty bad, story didn't fit in, character looks was terrible and the game was too short and easy no challenges although combat was okay. Overall a pretty big disappointment.
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    I have been a huge Devil May Cry fan since it ported to PC, I only played DMC3 and DMC4 prior to this, and loved them both enormously that I had several playthroughs on all difficulties until I unlocked everything. So...with that headnote, let's begin the review:

Firstly, I couldn't care less what Dante's hair looks like. We've all had months to get over the fact that he will look
    different from when E3 first previewed the trailer back in 2011. The fact that your styles have been removed in light of making it laughably easy to see which weapon works against which enemy (blue for angelic, red for demonic) is still okay because it's refreshing. The style was steroided in DMC4 already and couldn't really go any higher than that. What really bugged me was that they did away with the whole fantasy, alternate-reality castlevania type feel that was almost a hallmark of DMC games, and now replaced it with this completely stupid real-world real-time, neo-political story in today's modern world. Then we have some really irritating boss-fights. I mean, Farcry 3 this up as well having some weird, looney, acid trip when you doing that ritual thing, and now with DMC when you fight the news anchor dude. What's with all the techno-glitz? It's STUPID. Stick to basics. To be really critical, I'm not sure it's necessary having the name of the game abbreviated and then spelt in full. DMC: Devil May Cry...It's just really dumb.

The level design was boring, the missions were boring (NO other DMC game would have you running around activating generators!) that I got to a point where I only played the game just so that I could finish it. And no I will not play this game ever again!

What I did like is how Vergil/Dante's feud is explained, even though character-building is a tad rushed with regards to Vergil. I did like the cool angel/demon weapons, just a shame that there aren't enough neutral enemies in the game to let you decide on your own combo's: red enemies can only be hurt by demonic weapons, blue enemies can only be hurt by angelic weapons.

Overall not a bad effort for a new direction with DMC but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. I think Capcom were onto something when they introducted Nero in DMC4 as a new playable character.

This game could have been a smidge better if the name was changed. To something completely different, like "Ninja Demon" or something totally irrelevant to the DMC franchise.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

The combat is incredibly simple and slow. Due to the fact that almost every one of your attacks has a large AoE you can simple mash Y and you'll win most fights and gain SSS ranks on the way, pressing LT/RT is optional. The game basically hands out stylish kills with minimal effort from the player. DMC 3/4 would have you switching
    weapons after every combo, constantly dashing around the battle and making split second decisions, this game however, instead of making the combat complex and rewarding to skillful players it cops out and simply shows you fancy animations and crunchy sounds and let bad players feel like the best.

The red/blue enemies are incredibly frustrating to fight, they limit you to 1/3rd of your attacks killing any kind of creativity and freedom. They're not difficult, or interesting, they're boring. The blue ones are worse since the angel weapons do very little single target damage.

Many of the enemies have an invulnerability state of some kind (witches shield, dreamrunner blocking everything) or in the case of the chainsaw and big buzzsaw things; large sweeping attacks that are unavoidable if you're close to them. In both cases the only thing you can do is sit back and wait them out this is just frustrating and boring.

The AI in general is things just stand around you never attacking, they only seem to notice you if you're stood right next to them and they just don't seem to do anything at all if they're not on screen.

The controls are clunky, since stinger (or the equivalent on other weapons) is activated by pressing Y" i'll often find myself activating it when I didn't intend to just from moving around. Also since there's no lock-on function it's a pain to keep sight of something and I have no real idea what I'm going to hit, I can't count the number of times I've use the grapple thing on something I didn't want.

There's a cutscene almost literally every minute, even if it's just for a few seconds. They're always there, at the beginning, middle and end of a fight, constantly breaking up the action and taking control away from the player, to add to that they're also all unskippable, at least the first time round.

The platforming, why is it there? Nobody liked it in the other DMC's or any other hack and slash game for that matter, why do they keep adding it? Sure, it actually works now and isn't clunky as all hell, but it's incredibly linear, simplistic and boring, it's like a glorified quicktime event.

The boss fights all boil down to "hit the big glowing thing". All their attacks are easily avoided and their isn't much challenge to it at all. They're basically all set pieces that have you meet a certain criteria before you can mindlessly wail on them for a while. The best boss is easily Vergil, but even then he's incredibly easy, and they couldn't resist breaking up the fight with about 5 cutscenes.

Yeah, this game actually has a story now, but it's incredibly pretentious, it's edgy for the sake of being edgy, very grimdark. The dialogue is bad and often very cringe inducing and the characters are generic and boring. The old Dante was like a cartoon character, he was interesting and funny. Sure he wasn't exactly relatable but his whole attitude suited the game's theme perfectly.

I will say though that I do like the soundtrack, at least the Combichrist stuff. Also whilst the game looks very nice, the constant intense colours gave me a bit of eye strain.

All in all, it's a HUGE step-down from previous DMC games, the game is more akin to God of War than DMC. It's sad to see one of my favorite franchises replaced by this...
  4. Jan 26, 2013
    Why Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the level design but even that started getting stale real fast.Simply put this is like DMC2 all over again look you guys need to go back to your roots and stop outsourcing your franchises simple as that Expand
  5. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 60 FPS, increased resolution and textures don't make up for all the shortcomings of this game.

I want to start saying that DmC was my first Devil May Cry game, and I found it decent at first. However, the more I played, the more repetitive and nonsensical the game became.
    Platforming is a chore. Air dash here, grapple this and that. Combat consists of spamming Aquilas and the Axe, along with Demon Evade. There is literally no incentive to vary your combos, since the style meter is driven by damage and not combo variety.
    Another thing that bothered me was that I played on Hard (Nephilim) but it felt like I was playing on easy. Enemies simply stand there waiting for you to whack them. Don't get me started on the bosses; they were simply horribly designed, boring and way too easy. Mundus is a joke and Vergil is simply a terrible final boss. Whole game feels rushed, too.
    The dialogue was bad. Dante can't deliver one liners and instead relies on cheap insults to compensate. The story is stupid and there are parts that simply don't make sense or even try to be relevant. Characterization is almost nonexistant, and the plot twist is predictable from miles away.
    Combat is weak. There are too little upgrades and moves, along with few potential for variation. Your weapons are overpowered and you'll find yourself spamming an attack to win in most cases. The game also likes to take control off your hands a lot with cutscenes in the middle of battle. That is unforgivable on this genre.
    The music is horrible and does not fit at all. Animations are decent, but only on Dante. Bosses suffer due to this. (see vergil, his animations are trash.)
    The game also has a lot of bugs with collision, which is why I'm not sure if this was properly beta-tested. There is also a major bug on the final Boss.

One point the game gets is the ambientation. Dynamic scenario mutation looks great, and some levels are very creative, like the club one and the one about the media. Nice color palettes.

With all of this in mind, I decided to give the originals a spin and god damn, they're much, much better. Don't waste your time with this trash and go play DMC 1, 3 and 4. Much deeper mechanics and more finely-crafted in general. DmC Gets a 3/10 from me for all its flaws and shortcomings.
  6. Feb 2, 2013
    not sure what the critics are smoking. The worst aspect of this game is the fact that it is just plain boring. DMC is and always should be fun, but the combat in this game is so simplistic it just put me to sleep. The graphics are good, the creative level design and artistic style is solid and inspired, and the story is well integrated into the game play. I can appreciate all these things, but the game play itself is just boring, and why they made Dante look like middle school bully, instead of a badass from another world makes absolutely no sense. Every time I looked at his face I just wanted to punch him, and whoever created him, in the face. The point of a video game is to play as someone else, someone you would want to be, and feel like a bad ass. Instead I got to play as a character that looked like an pedophile. If I could have kicked my own ass I would have. That would make a better game. Take this monkey looking punk, and beat the crap out of him. I would play that. Expand
  7. Feb 14, 2013
    The game of became such a drag after a while of playing. Something I would have never expected from a Devil May Cry game. Most of the cutscenes and writing was just abysmal. I found myself lowering the volume during cutscenes because I got sick of all the profanity, mind you, I was playing alone. Pros: Some of the music was good, though the placement was way off sometimes. Platforming was often fun. Environmental design was pretty good at times. Cons: Juvenile and shallow writing Bad story Characters are as one-dimensional as possible Character design is just plain bad Combat got boring really fast Game focuses on enemies that require certain weapons to take down. This sacrifices creativity and combat freedom which are the backbone of Devil May Cry games, if you ask me. No replay value whatsoever It's just way too easy, I honestly don't get all the great scores by reviewers, did they even play the game? Expand
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    Primitive combat, weak AI of enemies, ridiculously weak bosses, no lock on, no taunt, stupid red/blue enemies, unbalanced weapons (demonic is strong, angelic almost useless). Plot from "They live", grey characters, annoying Dante, lack of humor, boring cutscenes. Outdated "Unreal Engine 3" instead of game engine (even DMC 4 have better graphic). Nice level design though.
  9. Feb 7, 2013
    I never played in other games of DMC franchise. In every review a new one was called "a good reboot". If this game is good, then I don't understand the very existence of four previous chapters. It has terrible repeating platforming, monotonous fights, dumb characters and unspeakably disgusting plot. Difficulty levels Son of Sparda and Donte must Die make no sense, because you'll get same 3-4 enemies in the same time only little stronger and with a few new moves. Bosses will be even worse, because only one of them will have new move. Only one move. This game is not worth the money at all. Expand
  10. Feb 24, 2013
    it's an horrid piece of casual gaming... i would give it a 5 if it wasn't supposed to be a dmc game... ninja theory and capcom killed my fauvorite series
  11. Feb 9, 2013
    Done my first playthrough, and i dont feel pumped up to quickly play the game on Heaven or Hell or Legendary Dark Knight Mode like the previous DMC, this game got me bored on my second playthrough. The gameplay is just like God of War, no more styles, useless guns and ranged weapons, easier gameplay, grappling and platforming, which I really hate, and crappy character compared to previous games, Vergil no longer a super cool dark character ,save your money guys, play on someone else's game, don't buy it. Expand
  12. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but
    the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
    PC the game does not play well on PC at all. Make sure to get a controller. I had to take 2 points off for this fault.
  13. Feb 18, 2013
    Let's see... basically a weak game in general

-Nerf gameplay
    -Linear
    -Type of difficulty easy to implement
    -Unoriginal story
    -Replay 0
    -Ninja theory overrated
  14. Feb 27, 2013
    This reboot lacks. While being a mediocre hack and slash game with a “style system” mixed in, this game isn't much else. The story was interesting at first but became cringe worthy later on. Character designs were clearing centered around the director of the game with Dante having the same hair style and facial features as said director. Getting beyond all that the combat was really slow. I played it on the hardest difficulty setting and cleared it with no problems and with a Stylish rank. I haven’t even done this in the previous Devil May Cry games. If there is another game and it is made by Ninja Theory, I won’t be buying it. Expand
  15. Apr 3, 2013
    Y'know, I get it. I was going to give this game a higher score but then I realized that this game is a step towards dumbing down the hack n slash genre and the dmc franchise. As a fan of fps games I've seen that genre get almost completely demolished by the casuals appetite for cod (not the fish). So yeah, I understand that people who enjoyed earlier dmc games and their resentment of this title. The game is very linear, kinda short and has removed all the puzzle solving and exploration. Combat is easier and I was very dissapointed with the boss fights. Still I will stand by the opinion that Dante is more likeable this time around though since I thought he was the most intolerable twit in previous installments. Expand
  16. Mar 6, 2013
    Dante: We should be fine for now,but I'm sure they'll be back soon. Very soon. Lady: Are you crying? Dante: It's only the rain. Lady: The rain already stopped. Dante: Devils never cry... Lady: I see...Maybe somewhere out there even a devil may cry when he loses a loved one.Don't you think? Dante: Maybe... Lady:By the way...(three shots from a pistol) Looks like we're goona be busy for a while.
    Dante: Well bring it on. I love this! This is what I'm live for!

No comment. DMC is not Devil May Cry (1-4),it took it's great name,great name of Dante and Vergil in the hope that the fans will love this. This is a very big developers mistake. Rename the game and all the characters and the game will be fine. Devils never cry.
  17. Jun 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Complete piece of compared to other DMC titles it so easy it take only one walkthrough to understand every demon and then they made my hardcore favorite mode a joke 'dmd' enemy devil trigger sucked up in previous title enemy devil trigger goes strong with time but in this you hit it with your demon weapon and it's gone and it become your normal enemy.
    COMBAT
    Combat seem amazing only if you are a noob in privious titles. eg off secren enemy wont attack you no matter how close it is.
    STYLE METER
    Big disappointment just pull out you demon weapon try it on two three enemy and you get sss which also ignore your repeating.
    STORY
    Half ass story.
    DIALOGUE & VOICE ACTING
    Dialogue cant even comment on them they are completely feel out of pace and voice acting is average worst voice acting is done by dante voice actor its like he forget where to put emotion and the best the only thing which is best is vergil voice actor.
    CHARACTERS
    Worst enough to ruin series than once getting 8,9 and 10 on fair judgement of all now getting 0,1,2,3.
  18. Apr 27, 2013
    First of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is much more easy than the past Devil May Cry games, which is extremely disappointing, this game was pretty much made just for the money, however Capcom didn't get as much as they expect, i hope they cancel this and don't waste money anymore with this crap! Collapse
  19. Apr 30, 2013
    This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  20. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  21. Feb 26, 2013
    Pros: The game runs very smoothly on PC and is great with a 360 controller. Fast paced action and addicting combos.
    Cons: Story, poor characters, poor stage design, poor voice acting. Feels like a waste of time once I've beaten it.
  22. Mar 20, 2013
    Devil May Cry in this game is the name only. Everything else didnt make sense with the franchise. Change the name and this game can deceive some respect.
  23. Jun 9, 2013
    Horrible. ruined the game. its far to easy, the final boss battle was like fighting a spyro boss... Vergils downfall was really cheap too. they added 1 new feature in and just revamp Dante's animations. and seriously "hollow vergil"? looks strangely like an animation known as bleach. even the damn eye effect. this deserves nothing compared to the beauty of the previous games. Ninja theory should hang there heads in shame... Expand
  24. Oct 11, 2013
    Sorry guys, but it's not game about demon's sun Dante. It's just typical fine slasher. Not to hard, not to long, with as usual cool boy with big and tongue. But it's not a game about Dante.
  25. Oct 17, 2013
    Worst DMC ever in all time! 1. Terrible graphics compared with dmc 4; 2. Terrible emeny design. All emenies are kinds of zombie and they just slightly differ from each other. 3. Terrible Boss design. Besides the bee queen and the TV station guy, all the rest boss looks like Especially, the final boss, all he could do is keeping using his poor hand to hit you and nothing else. Compared with bosses in dmc4, the bosses in DmC are jokes. I just wondering how much money did you foolish british company spend on this game? 100 pounds or 1000? Expand
  26. Oct 25, 2013
    Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  27. Dec 10, 2013
    worst game i have ever played devil may cry 1 ,3 and 4 were nice but this is total i'd better play math games... goodbye devil may cry series from 4 nice game to a trash one it's better without this game in the series it makes devil may cry look stupid
  28. Apr 13, 2013
    Design of the enemies in this game is the worst. Level design is crap. Shameful design of the main character. Color design is awful. Gameplay is very clumsy. The plot is stupid and boring. This game is an absolute failure!
  29. Aug 9, 2013
    I really wanted to write something constructive. Even mention the few positive aspects of this game but I just can't. It's so overhyped. The original DMC games weren't masterpieces. And reboot idea seemed interesting. Unfortunately Ninja Theory can't see farther than the tip of their own nose. No respect for the original franchise and the fans. Strong badass character turned into weird emo kid. Story is ridiculously stupid and doesn't even try to make any sense. It has as much emotion as rubber duck. People who made this game obviously have no idea of general concept of what they tried to create cause it all seems exactly like if a 13 years old kid thought it makes him cool and badass to swear. Action/gameplay is okay though I enjoyed the one in DMC 3 for example more. Enemies in those games were often kinda silly looking so let's not get into that. Visuals are disappointing. Would expect much more for a 2013 game. Same with the general flow. I can see why some people may like this game. I don't understand how professional critiques can so blindly give it such high score though. I assume Capcom paid a lot for that. And sales show how big success this game was...not. No surprise there. The company chose to make this game was just a mistake. Expand
  30. Apr 11, 2013
    As an action paced game, this game manage to play out like games of its genre while trying to differentiate itself with on the fly weapon switching using shoulder buttons. However, combat is very simple in this game and it indulges the player with long fancy combos with minimal effort. The simplified combat system eliminates any form of challenge and causes combat to remain stagnant due to tried and tested 'simple repeating combos with maximum damage'

As a sequel to the DMC franchise, this game is a terrible reboot to the fabled franchise. Gone are the complex combos and likeable/interesting characters. In its place, a boring stereotypical 'punk' type character with bland simple button pressing combos. Targeting has also been removed which can cause problems at times and boss fights are too predictable. Overall, this reboot has smeared what the original franchise stood for and pays dearly for it (sales records perform way worst than any other dmc game)
  31. Jul 17, 2013
    This is not Devil May Cry in any way, the only thing that resembles DMC in any way is the title and the names of the characters. Yes the story is better but all of the characters have been BUTCHERED. Dante is a swearing Teen who randomly flips off and swears at demons in any chance he can get, the original Dante was awesome by not swearing and being funny by taunting demons in a good humored way. Vergil just feels that humanity is below him and feels that he should rule over them, instead of the original Vergil's quest for power, I am fine with the new Vergil. Sparda has it the worst, instead of being a demon who sacrificed his life to save the human race, he is now known as the demon that banged an Angel. Devil May Cry games gave us a great challenge, but now this game is one of the easiest games I have ever played. The music is not metal anymore it is now a metal like techno, I like to call it mechno I know it sounds like metal but if you check out the soundtrack then you would know. This game was okay but it is not Devil May Cry the character is awful, not just because he's a husk of Dante, but because he is a horrible character in general, buy the DMC HD collection get this game if you are not a fan of the original like me. Its sad to see my favorite franchise turn into this. Expand
  32. Apr 27, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.