6.6

1. Jan 25, 2013
    I played all DMC games before, I loved them all, personally I loved most first and third.
    At first I was very angry about reboot. Turned blind eye to a game and my opinion was full of hatred... But then... Well it's stupid compare reboot to a old games. I mean story and writting isn't best really, but gameplay, environments, concept is really nice. And music isn't very monotonic. To be
    fair it's something new in gaming, some fresh air.... It might not a some deep masterpiece, but it's a good game to have fun, and games supposed to be fun. Also I'm happy with good PC performance, nice to eye graphics and smooth gameplay.
    Thanks for creating something new, I'm sorry fot those closed minded guys who can't enjoy anything and must act like mindless fanatics. No one forces play it, and I saw a game as a new game. It is nothing like old one, but it's better than repeating old stuff.
  2. Jan 26, 2013
    In short: Great action game, I like the style and everything, but a bad Devil May Cry. In Detail: The thing is, if you have never played another dmc or just played it because your friend had a copy and you gave it a try, you will not be disappointed with the new one. But I always liked the Old Dante and loved the Games, not only because of the action and the white hair, but because of the whole over the top coolness. Dante is supposed to be a smooth dude who always finds the write words to make you grin, he is not supposed to feel like "a real guy" with "real feelings" that Expand
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    It's my first review on this site so do not take it too seriouily, however seeing this game receive only 5.6 reviewers rating is what i call a I played throughout first DMC more than few times and playing this one gave me as much fun. It's true that new dante isn't the old one but it didn't stop me from enjoying the gamplay, level design and story. Soundtrack builds tense atmosphere which suits hack and slash game as well. I believe 8 out of 10 suits this game well, it lacks good lock on system and its not much of chalenge but i had tons of fun playing. Expand
  4. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics:
    The game looks really great. The visual design of the areas you go through is top notch. Limbo has a saturated feel to it with a lot of vibrant colors that I think are really nice. In particular the Nightclub you go through is a very cool area. The way levels twist around you is nice.
    That said the design of the levels is subpar. There is exploration of side paths to find upgrades but other than that the levels are fighting areas with straight lines in between.
    Moving around with the A/D pull is neat at first but the game never really does anything with it. You may as well be walking down a hallway. Its a pretty hallway, but its still a hallway.

Enemy design is pretty great for the most part. The katana enemies are really awesome looking as are the creepy baby demons. Some are stupid (like the orange chainsaw men) or designed in a really blatant way (HIT MY GIANT BELLY ORB PLEASE).

Character designs are okay. Dantes looks like a douche though.
    Vergil looks better but his outfit is silly. Kat is odd. In some scenes she looks attractive but in others her face looks retarded.

Sound:
    Music. Blegh. Most of it is very generic sounding dubstep that can get a bit obnoxious at times. Its not all bad though, there are some good tracks.
    Sound effects are meh. The sounds used for attacks makes them feel weak. Ebony and Ivory feel like peashooters with a tinny sound effect and Angel Weapons and Rebellion dont feel like theyre doing much. The Axe and the Fists have pretty good sound effects though. The big meaty WHUNK when you hit something is nice.
    Voice acting is passable. None of the characters are memorable though. A lot just sounds like actors saying their lines. Also Dantes voice acting really worse towards the end of the game.

Writing: Average at best and horrible at worst.
    Some of its witty. Dante has some cool lines and has an ok arc. Other dialog is cringeworthy and tries too hard (like calling Dante a scrotum-sack.)
    Unfortunately Dante never really stops being unlikeable. Its hard to get invested because you hate the main character. Several things are brought up once and never mentioned again or left unexplained.
    Eg: The game tells us that 'Demons and Angels have always existed and they have always been at war'.
    But we never see an Angel. If Angels exist, where are they?
    It feels like the writers wanted to make Dante cooler so they made him an Angel/Devil hybrid. Eva became an Angel without giving a second thought to the consequences of having Angels exist.

I like the idea of Demons pulling the strings of corporations and governments to control humanity. But it goes nowhere. We know they are controlling humanity, but why? Do Demons eat Humans? Do they harvest their souls for power? Why are they doing all this? Never explained.
    Vergils turn at the end of the game comes out of nowhere. It was a complete asspull.
    The game had shown him as willing to sacrifice lives for his goals but it was never foreshadowed that he wanted to rule the world. Gameplay:
    Fighting is fluid. Everything flows together and its easy to dispatch multiple enemies. Problem is its TOO easy.
    The game does a good job at making you feel powerful but it doesnt feel satisfying because of how easy it is. Most enemies will stand around waiting for you to beat the **** out of them. The color-coded enemies are a stupid decision. Theres no complex gameplay around them. Just hit them with a specific weapon. It quickly becomes annoying.

The game hands out S ranks like candy. You can do even the most basic combos and have the game give you SSS. Feels cheap.

Boss fights are way too easy. All you do is dodge the telegraphed attacks and occasionally deal damage until the boss falls down giving you 10 seconds or so to beat on them then repeat. Again this doesnt feel satisfying.
    The bosses are well designed visually however. The media boss is stellar in particular.

I am completely baffled as to why lock-on is absent. It makes literally no sense. The game does a good job at figuring out who you want to attack but not having a lock on is still a bizarre design choice. It limits your combat moves in a series that is all about the combat. Having a lock-on allows you to have different directional inputs for different moves while still ensuring your target is the one you intend. Its not like the controller doesnt have room for it. Both LB and RB are dodge. They function identically. Why couldnt LB have been dodge and RB have been lock on? Devil Trigger is not only pointless in this game its also more of a hindrance than a useful ability.
    Using DT sends EVERY ENEMY into the air and then holds them there. This also plays into the unsatisfying combat. Beating on completely defenseless enemies doesnt feel engaging. The increase in power you get is tiny, so DT becomes nothing more than a way to refill your health or a panic button.
  5. Jan 29, 2013
    Game was pretty bad, story didn't fit in, character looks was terrible and the game was too short and easy no challenges although combat was okay. Overall a pretty big disappointment.
  6. Feb 4, 2013
    I have been a huge Devil May Cry fan since it ported to PC, I only played DMC3 and DMC4 prior to this, and loved them both enormously that I had several playthroughs on all difficulties until I unlocked everything. So...with that headnote, let's begin the review:

Firstly, I couldn't care less what Dante's hair looks like. We've all had months to get over the fact that he will look
    different from when E3 first previewed the trailer back in 2011. The fact that your styles have been removed in light of making it laughably easy to see which weapon works against which enemy (blue for angelic, red for demonic) is still okay because it's refreshing. The style was steroided in DMC4 already and couldn't really go any higher than that. What really bugged me was that they did away with the whole fantasy, alternate-reality castlevania type feel that was almost a hallmark of DMC games, and now replaced it with this completely stupid real-world real-time, neo-political story in today's modern world. Then we have some really irritating boss-fights. I mean, Farcry 3 this up as well having some weird, looney, acid trip when you doing that ritual thing, and now with DMC when you fight the news anchor dude. What's with all the techno-glitz? It's STUPID. Stick to basics. To be really critical, I'm not sure it's necessary having the name of the game abbreviated and then spelt in full. DMC: Devil May Cry...It's just really dumb.

The level design was boring, the missions were boring (NO other DMC game would have you running around activating generators!) that I got to a point where I only played the game just so that I could finish it. And no I will not play this game ever again!

What I did like is how Vergil/Dante's feud is explained, even though character-building is a tad rushed with regards to Vergil. I did like the cool angel/demon weapons, just a shame that there aren't enough neutral enemies in the game to let you decide on your own combo's: red enemies can only be hurt by demonic weapons, blue enemies can only be hurt by angelic weapons.

Overall not a bad effort for a new direction with DMC but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. I think Capcom were onto something when they introducted Nero in DMC4 as a new playable character.

This game could have been a smidge better if the name was changed. To something completely different, like "Ninja Demon" or something totally irrelevant to the DMC franchise.
  7. Feb 21, 2013
    I would like to note some things about this game, first of all, i do believe this game is really good, i like the combat, the style, the music, and overall this game is a really nice work, graphics are beautiful, the other games of the series didn't really focused a lot on the world and i really like that this was not the case, combat also is fun with lots of combos and things to unlock, the story is acceptable, not the blasphemy some people call, but the second thing is, i really hate the fact that with this being a good game with possibility of being even better, Ninja Theory and Capcom will probably scrap this project as the black sheep of the family just for plain hate of the people who gave this so many bad reviews without even giving credit to the good things, it's plain unfair, i would love to see more games with this gameplay instead of another DMC2 (which i believe it was really a flawed game), i do hope they at least maintain some of the things that they brought to this game and encourage everyone doubting to play it and try not hate it from the start. Expand
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    First off I'd like to point out that I've played DMC 3 & 4 in the past. Loving this game so far! I have it running on max settings and its running very smoothly. I suck at fighting/hack and slash games but this is easy to get into (even with keyboard + mouse). Story is relatively good and keeps me on edge. I frankly don't mind the new Dante look and his attitude (swearing). To be honest he sounds like me when I'm playing video games. I love the sound track for this game when you enter combat and also the level design. Level design is far better than dmc 4 by a long shot. Dmc 3 is still my favorite, but I love this one as well. I actually would give this an 8/10 instead of 10/10, but I can already predict buthurt fanboys giving it 0. Expand
  9. Jan 25, 2013
    Played only DMC 3 and 4 before, but this reboot looks pretty good, and Dante is better than in DMC 4 but still worse than DMC 3 IMHO. Overall pretty nice game. Needs more options on PC, at least Vsync and filtering options.
  10. Jan 26, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have not played any other DmC games so am unable to compare this recent incarnation.
    What's not to like about this game. Nice graphics and art design, joyful combat system that on its hardest setting seems challenging enough where pure button mashing will just not cut it, characters with attitude, story line..well a bit meh to be frank but what the heck
    (story by Alex Garland who wrote The Beach?)
    Game runs superbly on my PC even on ultra high settings. If you have a hankering to exterminate hordes of Demons in jaw dropping locations then look no further than this hugely fun and accessible game.
  11. Feb 1, 2013
    the combat and game play of this is fantastic ,only problem is the short story and the boss combate otherwise the game is pretty good, i love the graphics and environment ,i runs smoothly on my pc
  12. Feb 5, 2013
    I'm rating this in comparison to previous DMC games.

The combat is incredibly simple and slow. Due to the fact that almost every one of your attacks has a large AoE you can simple mash Y and you'll win most fights and gain SSS ranks on the way, pressing LT/RT is optional. The game basically hands out stylish kills with minimal effort from the player. DMC 3/4 would have you switching
    weapons after every combo, constantly dashing around the battle and making split second decisions, this game however, instead of making the combat complex and rewarding to skillful players it cops out and simply shows you fancy animations and crunchy sounds and let bad players feel like the best.

The red/blue enemies are incredibly frustrating to fight, they limit you to 1/3rd of your attacks killing any kind of creativity and freedom. They're not difficult, or interesting, they're boring. The blue ones are worse since the angel weapons do very little single target damage.

Many of the enemies have an invulnerability state of some kind (witches shield, dreamrunner blocking everything) or in the case of the chainsaw and big buzzsaw things; large sweeping attacks that are unavoidable if you're close to them. In both cases the only thing you can do is sit back and wait them out this is just frustrating and boring.

The AI in general is things just stand around you never attacking, they only seem to notice you if you're stood right next to them and they just don't seem to do anything at all if they're not on screen.

The controls are clunky, since stinger (or the equivalent on other weapons) is activated by pressing Y" i'll often find myself activating it when I didn't intend to just from moving around. Also since there's no lock-on function it's a pain to keep sight of something and I have no real idea what I'm going to hit, I can't count the number of times I've use the grapple thing on something I didn't want.

There's a cutscene almost literally every minute, even if it's just for a few seconds. They're always there, at the beginning, middle and end of a fight, constantly breaking up the action and taking control away from the player, to add to that they're also all unskippable, at least the first time round.

The platforming, why is it there? Nobody liked it in the other DMC's or any other hack and slash game for that matter, why do they keep adding it? Sure, it actually works now and isn't clunky as all hell, but it's incredibly linear, simplistic and boring, it's like a glorified quicktime event.

The boss fights all boil down to "hit the big glowing thing". All their attacks are easily avoided and their isn't much challenge to it at all. They're basically all set pieces that have you meet a certain criteria before you can mindlessly wail on them for a while. The best boss is easily Vergil, but even then he's incredibly easy, and they couldn't resist breaking up the fight with about 5 cutscenes.

Yeah, this game actually has a story now, but it's incredibly pretentious, it's edgy for the sake of being edgy, very grimdark. The dialogue is bad and often very cringe inducing and the characters are generic and boring. The old Dante was like a cartoon character, he was interesting and funny. Sure he wasn't exactly relatable but his whole attitude suited the game's theme perfectly.

I will say though that I do like the soundtrack, at least the Combichrist stuff. Also whilst the game looks very nice, the constant intense colours gave me a bit of eye strain.

All in all, it's a HUGE step-down from previous DMC games, the game is more akin to God of War than DMC. It's sad to see one of my favorite franchises replaced by this...
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    I've been a fan of DMC for many years, and I was very hesitant to try this one as I hated the direction they took it in. I did purchase it on Steam though and I'm glad I did, I've had a lot of fun playing it. I would have preferred the Dante of old, but the new version isn't half as bad as the haters are claiming it is. The gameplay, whilst less challenging and complex as the other DMC games, is a lot of fun and offers a good variety of combos, though I would have liked more. Ebony and Ivory are really weak, this irritates me a bit as it makes them pretty meaningless, I have not felt the need to use them and I don't think I will during this game. The graphics are really nice and the game runs great on PC, in fact this is the best version of the game so worth getting on PC if yours can run it. All in all my gripes with this game are minor, the story isn't anything original, but it's enough to make you want to find out what's going to happen and how Dante is going to come out on top. The gameplay is solid which is the main thing for me. I'd give this game a good 8/10 Expand
  14. Jan 26, 2013
    Why Capcom Why are you so hell bent on ruining good franchises in this case one of my favorite game series of all time even on PC at 60fps this game is still a chore to play and I don't mean hard because I was playing on the highest difficulty and it's still piss easy I mean a chore as in this game is simply boring and uninteresting the only thing this game had going for it was the level design but even that started getting stale real fast.Simply put this is like DMC2 all over again look you guys need to go back to your roots and stop outsourcing your franchises simple as that Expand
  15. Jan 25, 2013
    New DmC is very dynamics, very interesting and very clever game. It has breathtaking gameplay, enthralling story. I think. that "fans" of previous games about Dante is very wrong. They think, if developers changed skin of Dante and game design then game will be very bad and not intersting. Do not believe them. It very good slasher. On this moment, it is the best game of this winter.
  16. Jan 25, 2013
    Im glad to see there's some people with an open mind on here. Yeah they changed up dante and made the game easier to open up the audience. But deep down in side its still DMC and its a good game if you can get passed the changes. Graphics look great on my hires monitor and 3D vision support is a big plus too. Not to mention the game runs flawlessly which is an achievement in its own now adays for any multiplatform game. I honestly think the combat is improved this time around too. Yeah the enemies are a bit easier and arent as cool as past dmc titles. But there is a wider variety in moves which should please past devil may cry fans like myself. DMC has never really been about the story in my opinion, i didnt exepect much this time around either. I came to hack and slash some demons and chain together some great combo moves and the game delivered on that aspect. I love the DMC series because there just plain fun gameplay wise. You crank the volume up, get presented with a swarm of enemies and just kick there asses in the most creative way you can come up with. Its just plain fun and can get you on the edge of your seat once you get the rythem going and you see the SSS flash up. Where devil may cry falls short in my opinion is just the presentation. Limbo is cool but they over did it, half way though the game it kind of looses all its exciting moments since you come to expect whats going to happen. Atleast the varied environments make up for some of it. I also miss the whole "crazy acrobatics slow motion" cut scenes too. The new dante isnt half bad, its awkward at first hearing the name dante and looking at him but half way though the game i accepted him the same way i excepted nero. To be honest hes really just a potty mouthed nero. There both punks with attitudes and think there the sh*t. So if you got over nero in DMC4 you will accept the new dante too. Game producers try new things with franchises all the time, its just the way the world works. I would rather have a new dante then not have a new DMC at all. So just because they went in a different direction doesnt mean the game is horrible like half the reviews on here say. If you can keep a open mind, buy the game, sit back and relax and prepare to kick some demon ass. Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A piece of a solid game. Just completed it and it was worth the money. Animations & story perfect. They have done an amazing job on this game. Do the lines were pretty cheese. They also could improve acting in some cut-scenes. People should stop hating on the character and actually try the game first before even writing the reviews. Expand
  18. Jan 26, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of the finest action games not only on the PC, not only of this year 2013, but of all platforms and all time.

Pretty much the ONLY downsides to this game are not giving in to the fan's expectations regarding japanese-style aesthetic design and storytelling and the overdoing of "cool, dark, edgy" execution. Everything else is top notch.

Both combat and
    movement/platforming are very much in Devil May Cry spirit: They LOOK like DMC and, most importantly, FEEL like DMC.It has this unique "punch", this unique "fast and weighty" feeling to it, unlike the "floatiness" of other games such as Bayonetta and God of War, and that perhaps Ninja Gaiden shares with it to some degree.

If you are a fan of this kind of game, get it. If you are not, check it out regardless. And if you are a fan of the series, this game is definitely for you UNLESS you cannot get over the "atmosphere" change.

Because let me tell you: The characters and storytelling might not look and sound like Devil May Cry's, but the environments and gameplay sure do. And the music, while leaning completely towards neither side, manages to feel familiar and different at the same time.

Completely recommended. This blew me away.

A couple notes for rabid fans of DMC:
    Yes this game's combat may be simplified on the surface, as it is easier to be EFFECTIVE in this game.

However, being STYLISH is just as challenging and deep as it used to be. The moveset is LARGE, and yes, there is Jump Cancelling and Just Charge (with Eryx, the new Gilgamesh/Beowulf).There are even a couple, deep techniques exclusive to this game, such as being able to hold Firearm charges without holding the button down (Dodge while charging and spam the attack button during the dodge: The weapon will continue charging. Fire to release the charge), Perfect Demon Evades, which greatly increase your damage output (and Style input) but have to be done within literal FRAMES before the attack hits you, and Parrying (which was possible in past games with some enemies, such as DMC4's Mephisto), which this time works for all enemies and attacks (including ranged ones) and must also be done with absolute perfect timing.

There's no Devil Trigger Distortion, however. Devil Trigger has plenty of new special properties anyway, such as allowing you to use your complete moveset against all enemies without restriction: Enemies who couldn't be Demon Pulled, Angel Lifted or flinched/damage stunned now can be, and Demon and Angel-aligned enemies (who only take damage with Demon or Angel weapons) will now take full damage with absolutely any weapon (including the neutrals Rebellion and Firearms) during a Devil Trigger.

DMC crazy combos fan, this game is DEEP. go for it.
  19. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Collapse
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game and one of the best PC ports ever. I think that fanboys of older DMC should calm down, this game is not even named DMC5. Even MGS fans are less worried about that new MGR spin-off.
  21. Jan 26, 2013
    This is the second DmC game I have ever played, the first one actually being DmC4 (I never beat it, played till roughly the second/third boss and got bored). From the perspective of someone who is (somewhat) new to the franchise, the game is good. On it's own, it's a fun, action packed game full of slicing and shooting and destruction.

One thing that makes the game really awesome are
    the visuals. The levels all look very colorful and interesting, and Dante's animations are fluent and fun to watch.

A bad thing is the camera. I played this game with a keyboard and mouse, and had many frustrations during platforming sections.

If you're a fan of the original DMCs, and are resistant to change (looking at you Dante), I'd assume you'd hate the game for being different. If you are a newcomer like me, the game is fine, and is well worth a play-through or two. Now, excuse me, I gotta go beat the game on Hell and Hell mode......
  22. Jan 26, 2013
    Overall it's a really fun action game. Controls are good, sound design and most of the voice acting is rather good. Script falls flat a little too often for the story to be particularly engaging or well... Good. Despite an overall lackluster story some really cool ideas are thrown in and they set up some great level design. Graphics are rather good for a multiplatform title. The combat system is very good overall. Tons of options regarding how you play due to having 8 weapons available at all times by the end of the game, and each weapon having several upgradeable/learn-able abilities. Certainly not classic DMC action, but there are 4 games that hold up perfectly fine if that's what you're looking for. If you're a fan of the series (like me) or a newcomer to action games there's a lot of fun to be had here, so long as you're willing to put up with a lackluster story. But I don't really know anyone who plays action games, let alone Devil May Cry, for the story. Expand
  23. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok Here is my review of DMC, It is awesome. As a long time fan of DMC with 3 being my fav, i really enjoyed the game the story, the music and the hack and slash combat. Only downside is that they removed the fix camera I liked that, but oh well this game overall is amazing, not better then 3 but for a reboot it is a really good start. Most of the review i read of people giving it a 0, are just guy who love old Dante too much, yes his the iconic character that made the DMC what it is. But if you keep playing it some of Dante's old look comes to play aswell as his red coat when DT is used. His hair will probably come back in the next one so don't flag the game as a bad one because i bet most of you haven't even played it yet. A FACT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING IT A 0 ARE TROLLS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT NEW DANTE. Expand
  24. Jan 26, 2013
    I love the game. I hated the previous DmC games for being too steep.. no story just brainless hack-and-slash.
    This DmC has the Darksiders feeling and it feels really special. I never liked the Asian style of the last DmC games.
  25. Jan 31, 2013
    Solid game, very bad Devil May Cry game.

Combo ranks are easy to get to double S, bosses are trivial at best.
    Good platforming though, still not a solid Devil May Cry however, better luck next time.
  26. Jan 26, 2013
    I rarely write reviews, but when I do, it's because the score does not match the content of the game. 4.8 user score is just too low for this game and I believe it is just fan boys hating the new look of the game. Even if the game have flaws, like the common story and easy bosses (at least on lower difficulties), the game has an awesome level design, soundtrack that matches the action perfectly and a battle system, that surpasses any of the previous ones and it is a blast to experiment with. I'd have given it 9/10, but I'm giving it 10 to compensate for the haters. If you're and action game fan, get it! Expand
  27. Jan 26, 2013
    It's a shame so many people are giving this a negative review without even playing it. That's like Amazon reviewers giving a product a 0 because of a shipping issue. Garbage...

I've been a fan of the series since 1 and have played every one since then. I wouldn't call myself a die hard fan, but maybe that's a good thing looking at these terrible fanboy negative reviews.

As a game, I
    thought it played great! Ninja Theory did an excellent job of paying tribute to the original series (from gameplay, story, visuals, etc.) without it being an "abomination" as some call it. Combat was fluid and felt visceral which is what DmC shines at. I actually liked the story and VO better than the original series. The old games came off a bit cheesy here and there, whereas DmC has a more down to earth approach.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a solid game and looks amazing on my HTPC with the great PC version framerate. Looking forward to the sequel! :)
  28. Jan 28, 2013
    I've been a DMC fan since Dante's Awakening on the PS2, and I suffered through DMC4's Nero and complete BS backtracking like everyone else. This "reboot" features elements from both while at the same time providing something new. Most of the downvote bombs are from DMC fanboys who can't bear to see their precious setting and characters under a new developer, especially not a Western one. They complain about nitpicky details that no real gamer would ever give a **** about, like the color of the main character's hair. This is seriously a contentious issue with them, that you have to play though the game to get Dante's hair to be white. The combat system is similar, but with some changes; fanboys accuse it of being "dumbed down" -- it's actually just more efficient and I will explain it. What they did was remove the lock-on feature and automate it based on the Dante's direction on the screen. It makes the combat more fluid, you can effectively attack large numbers of enemies at once, and you don't have to constantly click and press the lock-on button for every enemy if you want to use the effective moves. In essence, it's much easier to pay attention to all of the enemies when your camera and your weapons aren't trained on one, which would force you to toggle between them. On the other hand, you do often instead have to hold one of the triggers to switch between angelic/demonic weapons. I think it's a question of taste at that point, since the alternative would be to toggle between them, making it cumbersome to resume using the Rebellion/Guns. Like many other action games, you now dodge with the R and L instead of the jump button. This allows you to dodge attacks from non-locked on enemies with ease, and you never accidentally jump away from an enemy (instead of rolling away). Complaining that this system is "dumbed down" is like saying Windows 7 is a dumbed down version of Windows 8 because you have to click fewer times to get the same things done. Efficiency isn't evil. The game is also "more accessible" in that the DEFAULT difficulty levels are easier than the DEFAULT difficulty levels of previous titles. "Hardcore" gamers and masochists are very welcome to play the one-hit-and-you-die difficulties, but even at Son of Sparda the difficulty is massively cranked up, with more combat scenes added. The Ninja Theory team isn't stupid -- and Capcom held their hand the entire way. It's extremely easy to make a game harder -- just take more damage and place more enemies -- so there's no reason for people to assume that because it's a different developer they weren't capable of doing it. As for the story, it has elements of the original DMC games but with a contemporary twist. The story is essentially 'They Live' with a visit to Fox News and the Slurm factory, which is as ridiculous and over-the-top as any other DMC title, except it's a little more coherent. I have never heard a DMC player tell me honestly that they ever liked, or cared about, the storyline of DMC. DMC3 centered around some tower, a concept clearly just pulled out of someone's ass, and DMC4 was about a powerful religious leader who turned out to be -- hold onto your shorts -- EVIL, and a 20-something half-demon kid who just didn't give a **** until maddam **** gets involved. In short, the stories are equally compelling or non-compelling. I even heard complaints about fan service in this game, because of Kat's (the female foil's) short shorts and constant bending over. Oh really? And what about DMC3's Lady? She had a practically invisible skirt. And Trish? She was as big-titted as always. And DMC4? What about Nero's love interest with the massive bazookas? And the new Lady's ass and cleavage in the cutscenes? The reboot is RIDICULOUSLY tame in the fan service department compared to those games. It's a Japanese TRADITION nowadays to have some level of fan service, and I'd say Ninja Theory largely missed the boat on that opportunity by providing a love interest with plausible proportions. And who cares in the end? Hot women in games are like ducks in a pond. Anyone who complains about fan service is a douche. The one major complaint I DO have about the reboot is the platforming elements and the number of cutscenes. There are way too many platforming stages, especially near the end. HOWEVER, you can cut much of the platforming if you know where you're going, and higher difficulties add more combat scenes to break it up. The remaining platforming is a speed trial for which you're rewarded with a completion time bonus. You also don't have to collect all the orbs more than once! Finally I'd like to note that, aside from DMC4, this is the ONLY DECENT PC PORT OF A CONSOLE ACTION GAME IN EXISTENCE. PC gamers don't have Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, etc. -- just DMC4 and this reboot. The porting is outstanding, and in sharp contrast to the disaster of DMC3: Special Edition. PS3 gamers can compare this to other games, we can't. This is the best so far. Expand
  29. Jan 28, 2013
    First thing first, my english isn`t perfect, so sorry about that.
    I`m a great DMC fan, my favorite is DMC 3 SE and DMC 4. I maxed out both game, on every difficulty, every challange and of course the Bloody Palace (like hundred times).
    When I saw the first videos and news about DMC: Devil May Cry, I was scepting. Dante looks lame, they will rape my favorite game, gonna be casual for Call
    of Duty fans and for more selling, etc. After beating the game first time on PC, here is my review:
    Graphics: absolutely great! Great performance even on my middle category PC. The concept is really awesome, animations are fluid and Limbo effect is looks very cool. Environments, monsters, characters, they all looks great, in my opinion it is very artistic and I like it. There was one or two frustrating mission because of the visuals but thats it. Still 10/10.
    Gameplay: just like previous DMC-s, awesome combos, platforming, challenges, everything what I liked before and still something new. I played DMC-s with gamepad, but this time keyboard + mouse combination was far better for me. Simply you have more buttons to operate with, much easier to combo with other weapons, to evade, jump, shot and almost everything. With mouse to look around when platforming or switching between enemies is almost perfect. While this game is not as hardcore as DMC 3, it is still not casual, actually in DMC 4 Nero was a little bit. I give 9/10, because of there is only a few boss fight and no bloody palace.
    Story: well DMC 3 story was not a big deal but I liked that evil twin brother thing. Fighting against Vergil after those cutscenes really gives me a chill running down on my spine. DMC 4 was tried something new, with Nero and his love story. It was new and fresh, while Dante was the same personal, so I liked that too, even the cutscenes was great. In DMC: Devil may cry the story was nothing new, almost like in DMC 3, but in a new environment and modern world perspective. For a hack and slash game it is just enough. I give 9/10 because those awesome figthing cutscenes missing this time.

Summary: I really enjoyed this game, I will play it through on all difficulty and waiting for the bloody palace. It is good as previous ones, be open minded, try out, finish the game and maybe you will realize that this is not the same DMC as before, but as a reboot this game is amazing. Great work Ninja Theory.
  30. Jan 28, 2013
    Decent story, decent boss fights, and superb everything else! The game really pushes you to your limit in higher difficulties - forcing you to nearly master this deep combat system, in turn making the game even funner to play. The level design is amazing, too!
  31. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  32. Feb 2, 2013
    Even I was being a crybaby, 'why Dante doesn't have white hair?' 'why he is not so cool, rather serious?' After a hard dilemma and with the critic scores, I gave this game a try. Now I introspect myself... the earlier Dante he was one of the coolest character of Capcom, ever made. I as a fan was not much bothered who he really is, whats his origin. this game has provided me a solid story of Dante's origin... connecting to his cooler side (in the sequel may be)

this game has provided me a whole bunch of things about Dante, to be fan about... He is no more a mysterious character, eating pizza and flirting his girlfriends
    this origin, and other stuffs about Dante, is rightfully mine, as a fan. Thanks Capcom.

Mr. Crybaby... whoever is reading this review, to decide to give this game a try.... don't worry to buy one.
    else you'll regret it.

Story 10/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Level designs 9/10
    Bosses 8/10
    Presentation, animation 10/10

overall 10/10
  33. Feb 6, 2013
    Really awesome slasher. Ninja Theory make the brilliant game that is fun for everyone. No need to run through whole level to "push the button" and back to the start just for another "button". You just sit and have fun, no exceptions.
  34. Jan 27, 2013
    Superb game. Marred only by some slightly annoying camera glitches and no lock on. Other than that, an absolutely superb game, well worth your attention.
  35. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game getting lots of hate from the mindless **** that are all bent out of shape that its not a sequel from the last one and that they changed his hair its really sad that so many people will read what they have wrote and skip this game since it turned out to be a rather enjoyable play
  36. Feb 3, 2013
    I simply cannot to my best understand what is going on with the bad reviews made by the "official" game rating websites. Everyone seems to criticize the shallow storyline and poor character developing and a story that somehow makes you think that Dante is a jackass? Ass soon as you play for more than 3 hours you can tell that is simply not true and that Dante is presented as an evolving persona, changing from the "I don't give a damn" mindset into a good character the player can somewhat relate to (as far as a human can relate to a nephilim anyways). The combat is great! The one exception being the game forcefully making the player have to use angel or demonic weapons against a specific type (read color) of enemy, extremely fluid and well balanced.

Overall the game has a decent story (appalled at how can the professional websites give full reviews of what seems to be 3 hours of gameplay), great and well paced combat combined with simple yet engaging platforming and puzzle solving (with less emphasis on the latter), and a quite big ammount of replayability, not on doing pointless achievement whoring, but on actually unlocking bonus missions of variable difficulty! Would 100% recommend this game to any fan of the action spectacle fighter style gameplay.
  37. Jan 27, 2013
    Wow, I would like to ask about how many of these people scoring 0 on this game have actually completed it.

Ok, first of all, I've clreared all Devil May Cry games, on all difficulties. So I've done with this and damn it, its not that bad, seriously.

You must think of this game as what its is, a "spin-off" from the original saga, and also you must think on it as developed by other
    company.

When you get this clear, then you can objectively rate this game.

I have done so, and I can say that its a good game. Cool graphic style, nice gameplay (a lil' bit different from original ones) great music and sound effects. The plot is not as awesome as on DMC 1 and 3 but still large way better than 2.

I think Ninja Theory did a good job in fact, but not brilliant, that's why I give it 7 points.

Let's hope they get better with age and DMC 2 do honor to the saga it belongs.
  38. Jan 27, 2013
    I really can't understand why people are having so much hate on this title. They are retards, seriously. It's a god damn reboot, more like spin-off or smth, not a next game with linked plot like in other 4 games. So, i gave this game 10, just because i don't want to see it underrated. Ninja Theory did a great job with it, the game looks stylish and beautiful and all the heroes are looking good and pretty attractive. Stop hating this, i really enjoyed new DmC, it's the best slasher game i have ever played in last 4 years, so.. yeah. I don't know about consoles, i don't have one, i am talking about PC now. Peace out. Expand
  39. GNZ
    Jan 27, 2013
    No matter what the internet haters would spout out before playing the actual game itself, this game IS a Devil May Cry game at heart, as a long time fan of the series itself, I was impressed by this breath of fresh air that Ninja Theory have given t o the series.

The combat is fast and fluid and fast just like the previous games, it is a little more simplified in some aspects, but at
    the same time the combat is mixed up with certain enemies that can only be affected by certain weapons, this in turn has you dodging some enemies whilst using a certain weapon on one enemy that has no effect on the other two behind you, which all in all adds a nice twist to the combat ... rather than having you simply stand there using the axe for everything, as most people would have you believe.

The gameplay is fun, gone is the backtracking, the platforming sections are pretty fun for what they are and the levels as well as limbo itself are beautiful to look at.

The complaints about the game being built on the unreal engine are laughable, the game runs fine, looks ace doing it, and plays just as smoothly as any other Devil May Cry game.

My only personal complaint, the Succubus fight, the writing for that boss fight ... was poor, and not down to the new Dante, infact the insanely foul mouth was the boss, it was a bit over the top on the swearing and such in that scene in my opinion.

I was interested in the game ever since the first reveal trailer and was impressed with how it turned out, a bit easier than previous titles, but to be fair, most games these days are far easier than they used to be.

If you're even thinking about it, don't think, just buy it, and give the game a chance, you'll soon see that all the hate and slander the game gets is miss-placed, the new Dante is far from an "edgy emo" that everyone seems to cry about... either way, try the game and make your own decisions which would be more than most are doing, which is tearing into a game from a few vid's and screenshots they've seen, taking everything out of context and reviewing something they have not even touched first hand.
  40. Jan 27, 2013
    Wonderful Game, history, stunning graphics, great style combat, in pc versión it's better. i don't like the dante's new look, but with the dlc , the problem is solved ;)
  41. Jan 27, 2013
    The game has all that an action game needs: Rewarding gameplay with plenty of combo possibilities, good visuals (both in quality and aesthetics) and a soundtrack that flows perfectly with what's happening on the screen.
    The story is above the average of this genre I'd say. The personality and occasional puns of Dante fit very well and don't make him a douchebag, I don't know where a lot
    of people get that from... just as the complains about the difficulty. If you are a pro, don't take one of the first 2 difficulties. Oh, and finishing the game unlocks several even harder modes, so there should be enough for everyone.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the product and will definitely come back to it at a later time, which I don't do with a lot of singleplayer games.
  42. Jan 27, 2013
    Don't really know why so many people are pissed off at the game. It's a reboot people...The story's good, the combat worthy of being in a dmc and the graphics are pretty good.
    The new Dante look is a bit emo-y, but hey as i said it's a reboot. Overall it's a good game.
  43. Jan 27, 2013
    Pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed this game, i was skeptical at first because of Dante's new look and the staleness of the franchise. The moves and combo abilities are easy to understand are great to pull off. If you don't buy it new, i would recommend it a must have when the price comes down.
  44. Jan 28, 2013
    I prefer the story to the older DMC games and quite like the reimagining of Dante in a modern day setting. Yes he looks like a 20 something bloke in 2013 instead of a glam rocker but I'd say that's an improvement. If I was a demon bent on world domination today I would be going about it pretty much as it is done in this game. Combat could be improved by lock on, stronger firearms (they seem weak compared to earlier games in the series) and more reward for swtitching weapons on the fly (you can get S ranks just spamming the Axe special). Expand
  45. Jan 27, 2013
    There's one thing that should be cleared up before I even begin: this does not feel like Devil May Cry. The names are the same, some abilities are the same, even aspects of the characters are the same. But this game does not line up with the rest of the series. Considering the fact that it is a reboot, though, all of these things are both good and bad.
    Because the list of issues with this
    game are short, I'll start with them: much of the dialogue is almost painful to listen to. On top of that, the voice acting, while excellent on some characters, is extremely lacking on others. My final complaint was early on in the game, where Dante finds himself if a classic Dante-esque wig, and says "Not in a million years." Why, Ninja Theory? Is your need to antagonize us really that great?
    Now to the positive. The graphics are very good. While only moderate in some areas, the attention to detail on the characters was excellent. The hair, clothing, and hell, even the skin looked fantastic. The combat, while a bit difficult to fully grasp at first, allows you to achieve amazing combos by giving you the ability to instantly switch between any obtained weapon. The upgrade system, while different from previous titles, is very easy to understand and gives you a good understanding of what each upgrade will do. The enemies, while sometimes repetitive, are diverse enough to keep the combat from becoming stale.
    And finally, Dante. Does he have the occasional blunt humor of the original Dante? Sure. Are there similarities other than that?...Unfortunately, not really. But the character is by no means unlikable, and he's what we get. No amount of complaining will change that, at least for a quite a while.
    Overall, I loved this game. The self-entitled **** spamming the ratings with low scores should actually play the game instead of sitting in their pile of butt-hurt.
    Bravo, Ninja Theory. I can't wait to see where you go with the series.
  46. Jan 28, 2013
    Certainly desirable to play on the PC, as inexplicably locked FPS on consoles.
    What can I say, knowingly gave the boys from ninja theory, did just super. Finally DmC of stupid math was complete, properly organized game. Sobsno vydrachivaniya SSS element itself remained, but with a new combat system receiving this rating was a million times more intuitive and fun.
  47. Jan 28, 2013
    this is an amazing game the way you feel when the music play has you slice up you enemies and bodies go flying. i liked the new Dante he is a bad ass but i would like the old look with the new personality. the story is good but i'm still confused why is this through the media and banks it is really diffident to what games i play.
  48. Jan 28, 2013
    This is a really good game good graphics story and characters!
    don't know what people are crying about, this is the first devil may cry game I have played and it is awesome, great graphics with 100-150 fps and something interesting happening every corner I would recommend to fast paced action lovers, would give a 10 but had problems with install.
  49. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DLCs, addons and, of course, DmC 2.
  50. Jan 29, 2013
    It's really amazing. NT show unbeliviable skill of making levels and boses. They choose great music for game (especially Noisia). Not so bad plot and dynamic. I was sitting with opened mouth - I was really shoked. It's AMAZING!!!
  51. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 60 FPS, increased resolution and textures don't make up for all the shortcomings of this game.

I want to start saying that DmC was my first Devil May Cry game, and I found it decent at first. However, the more I played, the more repetitive and nonsensical the game became.
    Platforming is a chore. Air dash here, grapple this and that. Combat consists of spamming Aquilas and the Axe, along with Demon Evade. There is literally no incentive to vary your combos, since the style meter is driven by damage and not combo variety.
    Another thing that bothered me was that I played on Hard (Nephilim) but it felt like I was playing on easy. Enemies simply stand there waiting for you to whack them. Don't get me started on the bosses; they were simply horribly designed, boring and way too easy. Mundus is a joke and Vergil is simply a terrible final boss. Whole game feels rushed, too.
    The dialogue was bad. Dante can't deliver one liners and instead relies on cheap insults to compensate. The story is stupid and there are parts that simply don't make sense or even try to be relevant. Characterization is almost nonexistant, and the plot twist is predictable from miles away.
    Combat is weak. There are too little upgrades and moves, along with few potential for variation. Your weapons are overpowered and you'll find yourself spamming an attack to win in most cases. The game also likes to take control off your hands a lot with cutscenes in the middle of battle. That is unforgivable on this genre.
    The music is horrible and does not fit at all. Animations are decent, but only on Dante. Bosses suffer due to this. (see vergil, his animations are trash.)
    The game also has a lot of bugs with collision, which is why I'm not sure if this was properly beta-tested. There is also a major bug on the final Boss.

One point the game gets is the ambientation. Dynamic scenario mutation looks great, and some levels are very creative, like the club one and the one about the media. Nice color palettes.

With all of this in mind, I decided to give the originals a spin and god damn, they're much, much better. Don't waste your time with this trash and go play DMC 1, 3 and 4. Much deeper mechanics and more finely-crafted in general. DmC Gets a 3/10 from me for all its flaws and shortcomings.
  52. Jan 27, 2013
    i was pleasantly surprised by this game on PC. Running it at 2560x1440 on a 27 inch monitor is a delight. The colours and visuals just hit you in the face. The framerate is stellar at all times too. Has to be one of the best console style games i have seen converted to the pc. The story is actually interesting and the acting for the most part is very good. This could be the surprise hit of the year.

I also picked this up via a stream key for $30 so it seems like a bargain for this.

Anyone who is having reservations about the new new Dante, you can - or at least my version does, play as the old Dante in all but cutscenes.

You do miss some of the more crazy moves and the combat is not quite as fun as before but those annoying camera angles are gone.

Secret rooms even have a homage to the past by having the odd fix camera back when you climb stairs.

Alot of care and attention has gone into this game and i feel you would lose alot of the detail on console.

The sound is amazing too as long as you have decent sound capabilities. With a 9.1 THX system it is incredible.
  53. Jan 28, 2013
    This game offers many things to you because of the fact of how well the game is delivered, i was not expecting much and this game really did exceed my expectations. The story itself is not too bad, i quite enjoyed it however there could have been ways in which it was more engaging. The combat in this game, i have not played the previous titles however, i think is very nice as there are plenty of combos you are able to execute within the battle periods that you find yourself in this game. Visually this game is pretty sweet as it was quite vibrant and it looked fantastic, but the impressive thing is that this game is not, and i repeat NOT, a bad port at all to the pc. This game performs fantastically on my system and i get an average of 110 fps which is surprising as i was playing this game completely maxed out. One BIG criticism i have towards this game is that its TOO SHORT i managed to get through the whole story in 11 hours which is extremely disappointing as a loved playing this game but honestly i really believe that they can make this game longer and better. Having said that i think its worth holding out for the game until it goes on sale on steam because i don't believe it is worth the 29.99 that steam is selling it for, especially for the length of the game, but if you do get a chance to buy this game for cheap then its sure worth the money in my honest opinion. Hope this helps some of you guys out on a decision to buy this game. Expand
  54. Jan 29, 2013
    Gripping, the intro was such a boost I hoped would not be an anticlimax, but it was through and through amazing, the music with it was a bonus, Combichrist is an amazing choice. The graphics, story, characters and gaming elements all fluid. This is an amazing reboot to a franchise that had become tired and dragged out, much needed and I hope to see more from this now. I fear most negative reviews are old DMC fans who find it hard to move on, somewhat unfair reviews and just very personal views, I am a massive fan of DMC and so are a few of my friends, but them including others new to the franchise all love it. Overall, amazing but personal tastes from others may lead you to think this is a bad game when it clearly is not.

Get it!
  55. Jan 29, 2013
    Get over the "new" Dante people. Seriously, after playing the game to completion and watching the character evolve and change, it's almost as if anyone who just only wanted to see one side of him has something to complain about. Amazing frames on my 550ti, combat is fun, fast paced and the camera flows oh so well with it. There isn't anything about this game that doesn't SCREAM devil may cry. The music choice felt great for getting you pumped as you slash and decimate your demon foes, even though in general I don't like dubsteb. Above all, this game for more was more than worth the buy, even after playing all the other Devil May Cry's. I would even go as far to say just as good as #3, better than 4 and 1. I promise, as long as you're not a close minded, retard who thinks that DMC needs to be a certain way because they said so, you'll love the game and its intense rush it gives. Go ahead, give it shot, see another take on Devil May Cry. Expand
  56. Jan 30, 2013
    Note: The easy-combat-rank-fill which was a main point of protest from old DMC-Fans, as well as several severe (sound) bugs got patched on January 30th (at least for computer). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was scared. When I saw the E3 Trailers one year before the actual release I was like; hell - can it even be worse than that DMC4 cash-in? Dante appeared to be a big, overgrown show-off kid. So, I didn't put my hopes up to high when I picked up DMC. I started the game and - like many other old-fashioned DMC fans I **** my nose when I first experienced the new combat system. BUT: I kept cool and decided to try the game before condemning it - in the end DMC really surprised me in a positive way. The combat system: While I always did love love the style system - this new kind of combat really kicks nuts once you get a hang on it. The weaponswitching has never been as fluent before. While it is true - early missions don't require a lot of special moves - the new system allows you to make combat an art. Weapons really complement each other. Especially AoE-air fight got a serious improvement. Dante: While I didn't like his concept back at the E3 presentation, the final release really did please me. He is young, he is unexperienced - but he has big mouth and the self confidence we're used to know from old Dante. He kindly lacks the humor we all used to love, but he definitely is "a type". The Story: We get to know about Dante's and Vergil's past, their youth and we experience how Dante is forced into the demonkiller-role. I don't wanna spoil anything here, so I'll hint on the setting; the developers took the main idea from and old Movie "They live!" (1988) : A world that is not what it looks like only a few have the chance, well rather the possibilities to see through the Veil society and norms blur the realty with. I'm no fan of that romantic marxistic idea to fight the "bad capitalism", but DMCs developers really had the balls to make this philosophic and critical game. The design: I really don't understand how some people can cry about the look, I set everything to ultra and it looks great on my 42″ TV. Especially the Nimbus (demon-world) is an eye catcher. Dang! I couldn't get my chin back up when I first saw the walls implode in front of me, trying to catch 'n squash me. Music: As good as in any DMC. Bottomline: Taking all these things into account I'm giving DMC 10/10. People who hate this game do hate it because the want to hate it. The new Dante lacks humor, yes but people continuously forget - this is young Dante who's new to the business, not the relaxed old top dog who's feeling completely invincible. The story is great, so is 2 world-concept. The visuals really fit the mood, as does the sound. With the latest patch DMCs only real flaws (too easy to achieve combo scores) and some (sound) bugs have been removed, leaving it a game I really can recommend to new players as well old DMC fans. Expand
  57. Jan 30, 2013
    so sum it up, Im a devil may cry fan, and when i saw the preview of this game i was a little pissed off coz i thought they f**ked up Dante, but i was sooo wrong, this game is f**kin badass!!! awesome game play, crazy graphic, super creative, Ninja Theory really nailed it, they took a risk changing DMC and it paid off.. so badass I dont even care that it doent follow the previous DMC structure, this is now my favourite DMC game!! for all DMC fans out there, give this game a chance.. it is simply a pure badass game.. only thing i would like to add is that i wish this game was alittle longer... Expand
  58. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a long-time Devil May Cry fan, and I enjoyed DmC immensely. Although I still rank DMC3 as the best of the series, I think this comes in a close second for me, easily beating out DMC4. To get the most obvious issue people have taken with the game out of the way first, Dante is still Dante. His dialogue is largely reminiscent of DMC3, and he is still an entertaining character, even with the cosmetic changes. I would have preferred it if he'd followed the original Dante in having a less foul mouth, but oh well...

While the combo system is not as good as the series high-point in 3, it is a lot of fun, and there is no shortage of ways to put the hurt on your demonic foes. The initial difficulty levels offered are a bit on the easy side, rather like DMC4, but things get more interesting on the higher settings. Level design is also fantastic, with no two stages feeling the same, and a very dynamic game world.
    The story is probably the best in the series, with characters that feel much more human, ironic since Dante no longer contains any human blood. The moment when Kat is captured and Dante can do nothing to stop it because he is trapped in Limbo was perhaps the best emotional moment I've seen in a DMC game, far out-doing anything with Nero and Kyrie. Ninja Theory makes its share of missteps, but on the whole, I was pleased with what I saw, and drawn in to the game world, despite coming in with the reservations of a long-time Dante fan.

From the point of view of a series fan, it was surprising an entertaining for me to see all of the nods Ninja Theory made to the original series, including a boss fight that was clearly meant to recreate one of the best boss fights from DMC3.

On a purely technical note, the game runs well. I don't have a monster of a gaming rig, in fact, I ran it on a laptop, but I've had no issues with slowdown or the like. All in all, I found DmC Devil May Cry to be a thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience, and worthy to carry the Devil May Cry title. Despite my initial reservations, I was fully immersed in the world Ninja Theory had created by the end of the first level. Considering the very real risk of stagnation that was facing the Devil May Cry series after 4, I feel that Capcom should be rewarded for trying to give the fanbase a new game instead of a retread of the old ones (of course, they also gave us the HD collection if that is really all you want...). It's a shame that the Devil May Cry fans have so roundly condemned this title without even giving it a chance, because it certainly deserves better from us. I think that any Devil May Cry fan ought to give this one a shot. Note: I would normally give this a 9, but considering all of the user reviews trashing the game unfairly, I decided to try and counteract that a little by giving the game a full 10.
  59. Feb 2, 2013
    not sure what the critics are smoking. The worst aspect of this game is the fact that it is just plain boring. DMC is and always should be fun, but the combat in this game is so simplistic it just put me to sleep. The graphics are good, the creative level design and artistic style is solid and inspired, and the story is well integrated into the game play. I can appreciate all these things, but the game play itself is just boring, and why they made Dante look like middle school bully, instead of a badass from another world makes absolutely no sense. Every time I looked at his face I just wanted to punch him, and whoever created him, in the face. The point of a video game is to play as someone else, someone you would want to be, and feel like a bad ass. Instead I got to play as a character that looked like an pedophile. If I could have kicked my own ass I would have. That would make a better game. Take this monkey looking punk, and beat the crap out of him. I would play that. Expand
  60. Jan 26, 2013
    The art syle of in-game levels is superb but the overall graphics quality is very low: even if you enable HD textures and HD antialias the game looks awful, the environments are bare and the massive use of cool demonic graphics effects is not enough to hide poor textures detail and sharp objects. Colours look watered-down and faded, that's a shame because Capcom games always looked very good, take the Street Fighter IV and sequels series or the Dead Rising series...even the Resident Evil 5 and sequels series had more brilliant colours and better textures. What is worst, the game makes no use of environmental mapping and landscapes, backgrounds, locations all look blurry and confused (some objects look pixelized! That's a shame for today games!). If it wasn't that we are in 2013, I would have thought that this was a 2007 game visually talking, as it's very disappointing.

DmC: Devil May Cry is a pleasant game, very action oriented, fast and paced. There is variety of enemies, different weapons, very good combo choice and character advancement during the game. But the gameplay becomes boring and repetitive very soon and the thing you keep doing is pressing attack buttons, and so on...again and again. The story is featureless and banal, you have been hearing of that stuff lots of times before...nothing new about that, the eternal conflict between angels and demons.

As for music and sounds, the game is pretty good and voice acting is immersive and believable. Controls are generally good, but when you come to combos some issues arise because e.g. pressing Q+RM or Q+F+space and so on is not always responsive and smooth, and this will often oblige you to restart from the last platform again and again... Longevity? I have finished the game is 9+1/2 hours. To sum it up, DmC: Devil May Cry could have been a very good game if it had featured a less repetitive gameplay and a more attention to controls smoothness and graphics quality for PC gamers.
  61. Feb 20, 2013
    Un juego impresionante supera con creces a las entregas anteriores, muchos critican al nuevo Dante pero eso me tiene sin cuidado los haters y nostálgicos no paran de joder a su vez como lo hacen con Resident Evil no lo superan por dios.. los combates están muy bien logrados fluido y muy adictivo una gran series de combos.. el port de PC esta mas que bien optimizado.. espero que los haters cambien de opinión y dejen de pendejadas con el nuevo dante.. Expand
  62. Jan 31, 2013
    It is a good game. And it's a great restart for a whole franchise. New music, new characters, new moves, new original levels. DMC 4 was rather dull. There was nothing new in it, nothing original. This is a different story. Just give it a chance.
  63. Feb 1, 2013
    First off let me make clear I have played ALL other DMC games! It could have been a perfect DMC game!!! Combat is awesome, difficulty gets interesting in later game modes, proper dialogues (not what they are talking but how) and the leveldesign is pretty AWESOME! BUT and its a pretty big but: They totally raped Dante! This is an absolute NO GO! You can NOT change the main char so much! Dante must be waaay over the top, he must be more badass than the word badass and last but not least he must have white hair. Pls don't break these rules ever again!
    Now some final kind words:
    The music is the best the franchise had so far, it looks SO good and is really really fluid. Well done Ninja Theory! (but pls leave the main char in tact next time)
  64. Feb 3, 2013
    Good PC Port. You can see the love that got into this game. Presentation is very good, The level designs are awesome! Writing is mediocre but i think it fits the story and the setting very well. Had a smile on my face while playing this game from beginning to the end. It's not like the old dmc games but that was the intention. It was a bit short and a bit to easy on the first three difficulties but after that you can choose even higher difficulties and those are pretty neat. Whether or not you like the soundtrack is a matter of taste but it really fitted the action and vibe of the game. (I really liked it). It's a shame that people weigh the flaws of this game so high in comparison to all the good stuff. For most of those people it probably didn't matter what they would have made this game into, they would just hate it for not being the dmc they are used to. It's not their fault, they were just biased because of the new way the franchise went in and because of it, payed much more attention to the flaws and forgot about many of the great things this game does. REALLY REALLY hope they will continue this version of dmc.

This game gets an 8 from me but because of the many haters i will give it a 10 over here.
  65. Feb 1, 2013
    first off, let me just say all the people hating on the game are idiots. DmC is a great game in it's own rights, and also a fantastic pc port! Gameplay is super smooth and graphics are fantastic. I think what many people have forgotten is that a game is meant to be FUN. So all the haters obviously haven't played it yet cause this game is fun and that's the most important point. Praises aside, the storyline is pretty weak and the script is kind of cheezy at times. However, the gameplay and art design definitely makes up for it and i do recommend checking this game out. Also, think twice before hitting the unhelpful button. Expand
  66. Feb 20, 2013
    What can i say: just freaking awesome game after 8 hours i finally finished and it was worth every minute spent on it. Pros 1. PC Port 10/10 there are no camera problems, you can change your controls, graphics, everything you need just to enjoy the game 2.Graphics i was really impressed by how the game looks and performs,
  67. Feb 9, 2013
    Epic game. This game combines the combat system of the 3rd part with the demonic arm type addition from the 4th game, while at the same time improving both. The story is really strong with the only negative thing being that the characters development could be a little bit better. Overall a solid game with a great fighting system, solid story and amazing graphics.
  68. Jan 29, 2013
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't mad when I heard and saw the new Dante. I was ready to just ignore this game based on that alone. Thankfully I didn't. In short I think this is a great retelling of the origins of this great series. In terms of looks, music, and art style, I think almost everything was spot on. I played both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and my only gripe with graphics appears on the PS3. Screen tearing and some load times between bosses. Other than That, I think the game looks fantastic. Limbo was one of the best ideas I've ever had the pleasure of looking at. The wold twists and contorts as Dante get dragged down into limbo. Concerning the new look of Dante and Vergil, I really like the new Dante look. I know to some he looks edgy, but over all he doesn't look terrible. You start to realize that this new look of Dante correlates to his personality and character in the story. Vergil on the other had doesn't appeal to me as much. I understand that there's also a story based reason as to why he looks the way he does, but I just don't particularly like it. I can appreciate the work and detail that went into the design of the new Vergil. He doesn't look bad, I'm just not too fond of his new look. I'm sure some of you guys and gals will like it though. Now we get to the story. The main plot of the game isn't that original, but still rather enjoyable. Its no Lord of the Rings, but its still enjoyable. I'm going to compare DmC to Pitch Perfect. Both have really predictable stories, but both also have some amazing characters in their story. DmC's strength doesn't necessarily lie in its main plot, but rather the characters in the plot. This is the first time we see an unsure Dante. He's lost and finds some sort of meaning after meeting up with his long lost brother Vergil. Vergil on the other hand is strong, confident, and has a brilliant mind. Seeing Dante change from a bitter emo teen, to a young adult that is trying to not only find a place where he belongs, but is also trying to do right by everyone he loves. I would like to commend Ninja Theory again on the brilliant characters in this game. As much as I want to hate the new Dante's personality, I can't. This is because I understand where he's coming from because Ninja Theory made sure that you connect with him as a character and not just your avatar in the game. There's a new character named Kat. She's Vergils right hand and is Dante's partner on the field. What we as gamer's expect from a female character in a Devil May Cry game is that they would be Dante's love interest. That's not the case here. Instead of she loving Dante, she ends up loving Vergil. This will make all the difference in the story because for the first time, Dante is considered 2nd best in his world. Its usually Dante is the cool guy that gets the girl all the time. Not this time around. Time for Gameplay. Its amazing. I know some people were really turned off when they found out that the game would run at 30 frames instead of 60, but you don't really notice it. The combat is fun, fast paced, and it caters to the creative side of the player. It allows you to think up and create new ways to dish out the pain. I must have spent a good 8 whole hours (not 8 hours straight. Jesus.) in the training mode just thinking up new ways to reach the coveted SSS rank. The bosses aren't all that great to fight, but some of them are just amazing to look at ( I'm looking at you Bob Barbas) Speaking of ranks, the style rank this time around is really user friendly. Although it does take some skill to get the SSS rank we all want so much, it doesn't take as much skill as opposed to the likes of DMC3 and DMC4. Although it is sort of a turn off, I still feel that sense of accomplishment when I get that SSS rank. (but then I remember that its a lot easier to get and SSS rank in this game, then I feel horrible and start crying out of shame for feeling proud). Dante now has 2 kind of weapons, Angel and Demon. Angel weapons move fast while Demonic ones hit like a motherf*****. My problem with this is that there are only 2 weapons per type. The older DMC's gave tons of weapons to play with, why couldn't this one? I would guess its because they wanted the game to cater to newer players. Which is fine. (but please release a weapon pack. No really. That would be dope. Thanks.) Platforming in the game is incredibly fun. I'm not so big on platforming, but moving around in this game was incredibly fun. I felt like I was a badass while jumping of a ledge, swinging my way through a warped and disfigured factory where all the crates, and shelves were flying around. Platforming is fun. Plain and simple. Over all I think the new DmC is a blast. It does deserve a chance, and people shouldn't base their opinions because of hair colour. I would give DmC: Devil May Cry an 8.9/10. Expand
  69. Cel
    Jan 29, 2013
    Due to all the negativity, I felt compelled to write a review. Despite some imperfections, such some choppy pre-rendered cut scenes at times, the game is very solid. I found the combat to be tight and responsive. Don't be fooled by videos of people perfecting their play throughs, the game is very challenging and offers a variety in combat. The music is a very strong point and lends itself well to the genre. The story was actually a damn good one and made me want more from this period. And lastly, Dante is still freaking awesome. His voice acting was bad at times, but overall I was thoroughly impressed with this rendition. There are only 2 caveats: First, this game is very short; however, the game lends itself well to the perfectionist who wants to master the combat. Second, it doesn't add anything new to the already pre-exisiting formula. If you are looking for something revolutionary in the genre, this is not your game. If you are looking for over the top, flashy, fast-paced fun that will test your reflexes... this is your game. Perhaps people are resistant to change, but I felt that this game was true to the DMC heritage. Expand
  70. Feb 2, 2013
    игре
    Откровенно DmC влюбился.
    Большинство
  71. Feb 2, 2013
    I relly think this game is great graphics story characters gameplay everything is on the right place .
    So a very strong 8 is my rate Try this game
  72. Feb 2, 2013
    A worthy continuation the series. Charismatic character. Wonderful graphics. Excellent integration of Steam. As a true fan of this series, I can say the game is great.
  73. Feb 1, 2013
    Visceral, creative, well-written, fun. These are four aspects that instantly spring to mind when thinking of DMC. This game just reeks of high production values and ensures there is never a dull moment. A thoroughly enjoyable experience for action fans. Highly recommended.
  74. Feb 19, 2013
    Excellent PC port of an excellent game! Ignore the copious amounts of terrible user reviews. People have an issue with reboots, and that's a problem I can understand. The only time a reboot is a positive thing is when the new version of the game/franchise is distinctly different or better. Fortunately, this is a case where the game is both better and different, taking the basic idea of the original series and pushing it in smart, often surprising, directions. Story is fine, quite funny in parts, and generally well directed and acted. The action is smooth, controls are tight, and the combat is easy to learn and hard to master. I can not fathom how the user score is below an eight for this game (oh wait, this is Metacritic, where people spam 0's for games that offend their delicate sensibilities.) This game is a blast to play, and maybe the best Capcom game since Dead Rising.

This game performs wonderfully, never dropping below 60 fps 1920x1080 at maximum settings on a three year old PC.

A special note on replayability: The game has multiple extremely difficult challenge modes that are unlocked after completing the game. People who claim this game is dumbed down and easier than the old series doing know what they're talking about. When I see a video of these people beating the hardest difficulty, I will become a believer in their cause.
  75. Jan 31, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. Apart from the nice feel to the combat, nice animations and a rather intuitive approach to combos (though maybe a bit too easy), I really like the background story. Sure, the main characters are horrible, but which are not? And maybe everything was better in the past games, as the negative reviews suggest, but that does not keep me from enjoying this one. Good job, Ninja Theory. Expand
  76. Jan 29, 2013
    I played dmc 1-4 and now this reboot. Dmc 2 is the only one that I didn't get near the end. That said I can said 100% that this game is a good game. It isn't the best in the series but it is certainly a welcome addition. I can safely say that DMC is at the very least better than dmc 2. The PC ran so wonderfully that alone it got high marks. The things I liked
    The settings - ok sure it was
    very strange plot line but come on so is any japanese game. This game is through and through british while the other dmcs was japanese/japanese view of western view on heaven, hell etc...
    combat was smooth camera wasn't annoying
    I never felt lost unlike the other games.
    Very little puzzles compare to other games
    easy - okay yes the game was easy but Sometimes i feel like playing a easy game where i can blow crap up. If i want a challenge i can always go back and play 1-4 on the hardest difficulty.
    few funny jokes - though many fell flat.
    Good boss fights but the designs were not as memorable as 1-4. The things I dislike the voice acting was sometime inconsistent. Sometimes it sounded emotional but sometimes didn't. the facial expression looked stiffed otherwise it looked strange. It was no uncharted 2.

In conclusion, its a reboot. its a good game. get over it.
  77. Jan 31, 2013
    However not only was DMC outsourced - Ninja Theory - the Director of the Devil May Cry Series is now with Platinum Games, has been since Bayonetta
    #####
    Dante's character in DMC had some throw backs to the original, however my taste - maybe because I am getting older - having the F word thrown around as much just wasn't a good characteristic, the original Dante never had to go that far.
  78. Jan 31, 2013
    Don't understand the backlash because the game is a little different. It's a fantastic game. The character action genre hasn't been this stylish or crazy in a good long while.
  79. Feb 6, 2013
    Being a Bayonetta wannabe is not that bad if done properly, however, despite coming out three years after the mentioned title, it feels incomplete if compared to it. It is still a funny game though, but not sure if it's worth the money it costs.
  80. Feb 2, 2013
    I nearly didn't get this because the user score was so low.
    I'm actually extremely happy that I didn't listen to the user score and got the game anyways.
    The game is fantastic as is expected of a Devil May Cry game. When I ask anyone why they hated the game, the most common response is because they hate the way Dante looks. Get over it, besides you can expect him to look way different
    in the next game. As for the story, past Devil May Cry games didn't really have much of a story, they were mostly action games. I personally enjoyed the story for this game, though it was nothing spectacular. The story was still good and interesting. Gameplay was fantastic. I can't wait for the sequel. Expand
  81. Feb 14, 2013
    The game of became such a drag after a while of playing. Something I would have never expected from a Devil May Cry game. Most of the cutscenes and writing was just abysmal. I found myself lowering the volume during cutscenes because I got sick of all the profanity, mind you, I was playing alone. Pros: Some of the music was good, though the placement was way off sometimes. Platforming was often fun. Environmental design was pretty good at times. Cons: Juvenile and shallow writing Bad story Characters are as one-dimensional as possible Character design is just plain bad Combat got boring really fast Game focuses on enemies that require certain weapons to take down. This sacrifices creativity and combat freedom which are the backbone of Devil May Cry games, if you ask me. No replay value whatsoever It's just way too easy, I honestly don't get all the great scores by reviewers, did they even play the game? Expand
  82. Feb 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't like the name. DMC Devil May Cry. What's the logic in that? I was thinking that it will ruin the game this new Dante change, but I think that it's pretty cool and it has some of the old Dante's magic. I like how the new Vergil looks but I would expect more from him. The old Vergil was way cooler plus that I loved the women from previous DMC's. It feels like all the female characters are on screen to flash boobs and asses. Oh wait...they are.

I like how the combat system did not change. Only the part where I have to press A x2 than STOP and than mash to infinite and beyond. What's up with that? Like we needed that in the other DMC's. The whole series are based on mash, mash, mash and face mash controller moves. Really now, do you guys really take time to memo combos? Well, I have to admit, I know one: RT+X than RT+Y and all over again, The skill process is kind of the same as in DMC4, no change here or there's no change that I can notice.
    I don't like the Boss fights. Really, I don't like it. It's to easy. I have time to roll, jump and go and recover. Nothing challenging about Boss fight's. I like how the set was done. From the carnival to the energy drink factory to the up-side-down tower and the club scene. They really look good and I love how they used the Unreal Engine to change the world around you. The story is pretty kind of the same-ish. Except for the new Dante, Vergil, Kat and the Deamon and that the world is ran by demons and Dante, Vergil and Kat are set to stop them BUT here come DMC2, Vergil is evil. He wants to run the world. Ohhhhh...why didn't you say so? Is this a prequel to DMC3? Because I would expect a new DMC to come out, called DMC Devil May Cry DMC(Stupid name) and go by the story: Vergil wants to take over the world and he want to expand he's power so he can kill Dante and he want's to open a new hell gate. I really don't know why people are so in love with this new game or why the hate it. It's kind of the old series. Yes, at the end Dante will have white hair all over again. I would not rate it with 0,not just because is stupid, but because it's not a 0 mark game. It's a good game with great graphics with great control, great acting, great fighting combo system but the story it's kind of the same. Nothing new really under the sun. My score for this game is 7.
  83. Feb 5, 2013
    Primitive combat, weak AI of enemies, ridiculously weak bosses, no lock on, no taunt, stupid red/blue enemies, unbalanced weapons (demonic is strong, angelic almost useless). Plot from "They live", grey characters, annoying Dante, lack of humor, boring cutscenes. Outdated "Unreal Engine 3" instead of game engine (even DMC 4 have better graphic). Nice level design though.
  84. Feb 7, 2013
    I never played in other games of DMC franchise. In every review a new one was called "a good reboot". If this game is good, then I don't understand the very existence of four previous chapters. It has terrible repeating platforming, monotonous fights, dumb characters and unspeakably disgusting plot. Difficulty levels Son of Sparda and Donte must Die make no sense, because you'll get same 3-4 enemies in the same time only little stronger and with a few new moves. Bosses will be even worse, because only one of them will have new move. Only one move. This game is not worth the money at all. Expand
  85. Feb 24, 2013
    it's an horrid piece of casual gaming... i would give it a 5 if it wasn't supposed to be a dmc game... ninja theory and capcom killed my fauvorite series
  86. Feb 22, 2013
    The gameplay is fun, both the combat and the platforming. The visual style was really cool, and had some crazy boss fights. I expected Dante to be a douche, but I actually liked him, he was funny at times as well. Virgil was a cool character too. I think they did an excellent job with the performance capturing, light movements like their eyes made a huge difference. The story was pretty good. People who are complaining about this game either never played it or want to hate it just because it's different. Expand
  87. Feb 22, 2013
    Graphic: visual effects are pretty good,and...maybe awesome,realy nice to watch,unreal engine at it best GamePlay: interesting option with demon and angel mod, well number of weapon and combo,tuff enemies,a lot of secret missions.Well done.
    Story: rather fresh and interesting,but...to short i think,has to be expanded. ...
    This game is a good start of a brand-new DMC,not incredible,but
    worthy.Devil may cry and slasher fans-MUST HAVE.
    And,by the way,use gamepad for the greatest impressions and experience.
  88. Aug 17, 2013
    Played all the DMCs, and although they changed up Dante (especially with the douchey haircut he was rocking), I really thought Ninja Theory did a great job on the reboot. The combat is still fluid and I really loved the familiar open-ended combo system, the weapon-specific monsters got annoying at times, but I see what they were trying to do. Playing the PC version, it was far too apparent that it was a console port. The controls felt a bit less-than-intuitive and unresponsive at times; even by the end of the game you might find yourself fumbling here and there, but overall the combat was very fun, if not a bit frustrating at times.

The story is has excellent pacing and actually pretty interesting. It will, at the very least, keep you playing until the end. I blasted through the game in a day. The soundtrack is perfect for the game and I have nothing to complain about, it does well to get your adrenaline going. However, I can't give enough praise about the dialogue, voice acting, and well-done character modeling. The script is so refreshing in its creative absurdness. (ex: Dante: "FU!" Baddie: "FU!" Dante: "No, FU!!"). It never felt contrived and I can't tell you how many games I've played where the dialogue is so straight-up predictable and monotone too the point where all I hear is "blah blah blah". You can tell the crew and voice actors really had fun with it.

Overall, a solid game with some flaws (camera, controls), but easily holds it's own in the series.
  89. Feb 3, 2013
    Since it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need a chick in every game cuz we secretly keep playing because we hope that we can see ber boobies in the end. Expand
  90. Feb 3, 2013
    Great game..
    I am impresed. I never played any Devil may cry game. I think 9/10 are objective.

Pros:
    +combat system
    +good story
    +atmosphere
    +soundtrack(fu**ing great soundtrack)

cons
    -hmm, I don't know... but there are some I think
  91. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convoluted and confusing, and camera somehow always sets itself in bad angle ( almost as bad as dmc2 but still worst then dmc4 which i was playing just before new one came out ). Lack of lock on is more problematic then it seamed from the reviews. Most of the time I'm "fighting" with those issues instead the enemies. Combat gets boring quickly with only about handful of combos, especially when spamming best moves does job quickly ( and if you want rank SSS, you just do different attacks for a moment until you get to SSS and then spam till last enemy fells ). Also when enemies are highlighted in yellow they are invincible and a lot of times they attack when they are in that mode just as you falling after jumping, and if you already used dodge in air once or you didn't even see those enemies on the screen, you F'ed, As for where I'm in the game there is one type which you have too pull, but there is no indication which chain you need to use at particular moment. Overall this game is a step down from Alice: Madness Returns ... Surprise! Yes, this game is almost like a carbon copy of Alice sequel, rather then being dmc game. Alice was a good game despite it flaws, but I I don't want dmc to be like that - I want dmc to be over the top - high octane action, with elegant controls and imaginative combat, and some puzzles/exploration cherry on top. And new dmc is not that. I would enjoy it ok if it would be a new franchise even thought it is mediocre at best, but because it's labeled as DMC it deserves all fans backslash it has got. Expand
  92. Apr 23, 2013
    The users giving it 0 or 1 are scum who haven't even played the game yet. I've played games in the series since 1. I am a hardcore fan of the original series. I was one of the ones who were first enraged when they revealed the new Dante. Hell, I even made threads criticizing Ninja Theory and Tameem Antoniades. But eventually, the initial rage wore off when someone told me to first give the game a try. And I must say, I wasn't disappointed. We all know the series needed something fresh after the fiasco that was dmc4. And Ninja Theory hit it, and hit it hard!!!! The combat was slower than the original series, but still fun. The concept of Limbo added some variety to the environment. And the story! It was good, yes, definitely better than the Claptrap of the original series. Together, counting the core game, Bloody Palace mode, and Vergil's Downfall, the game definitely deserves a 9!!!!!!! Real DmC fans, Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  93. Feb 9, 2013
    Done my first playthrough, and i dont feel pumped up to quickly play the game on Heaven or Hell or Legendary Dark Knight Mode like the previous DMC, this game got me bored on my second playthrough. The gameplay is just like God of War, no more styles, useless guns and ranged weapons, easier gameplay, grappling and platforming, which I really hate, and crappy character compared to previous games, Vergil no longer a super cool dark character ,save your money guys, play on someone else's game, don't buy it. Expand
  94. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but
    the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
    PC the game does not play well on PC at all. Make sure to get a controller. I had to take 2 points off for this fault.
  95. Feb 18, 2013
    Let's see... basically a weak game in general

-Nerf gameplay
    -Linear
    -Type of difficulty easy to implement
    -Unoriginal story
    -Replay 0
    -Ninja theory overrated
  96. Feb 21, 2013
    A really nice reboot. I was one of the hater who hated Ninja Theory for redesigned Dante too. The thing is, everything else except the look of the characters has lived up to my expectations. I would like to play the sequel of DmC. The only thing I can complain is that the game is too easy, so easy that smashing buttons can achieve SSS grades. Please make it more challenging in the next game.
  97. Feb 5, 2013
    This is what happens when people rate a game based on how it relates to the rest of the series instead of the merits of the game itself. I am a long-standing Devil May Cry fan. I own all the games and have run through them all on Dante Must Die, and I'm still capable of enjoying this new game because I'm not expecting it to be the same game as DmC 3 or 4, and honestly, expecting that is downright unreasonable. This is a reboot of the series made by a new developer, so QUIT GIVING IT ONES AND ZEROES. Moving on. The first thing I noticed is that this is an excellent PC port. While I played DmC 3 and 4 on their respective consoles due to the general crappiness of the ports, I played DmC on my computer and loved it. The graphics were astounding with the HD upgrades, and the combat was butter smooth at 90 FPS. The second thing I noticed was the voice acting. As much as I love the previous installments in the series, the voice acting has always been downright awful, and this change was a pleasant and welcome surprise. The third thing I noticed was that the combat was FUN, unlike what so many users will have you think. Sure, it's missing the style system and the Stylish Rank gauge has been declawed, but the combat is fast, fluid, and completely worthy of any previous DmC title. Sound, visual, and enemy design is perfect, without an iota of overstatement. Limbo is a thrilling, diverse, and visually stunning setting, and the level design reflects that with each group of levels taking you to a new and shockingly unique setting. The enemy design is delightfully dark, featuring everything from weak, shambling biomechanical nightmares to demonic ninjas with masks sewn to their heads. As a fan of the New Phyrexia set from Magic: The Gathering, I just loved *looking* at the bad guys. In terms of sound, each weapon has a unique and entirely satisfying battery of noises, from the classic 'swoosh, schwing' of Rebellion to the ethereal roar of Osiris, and all this is backed up by music that is an awesome fusion of pulsing electronic and hardcore metal. Overall, as a fan of Devil May Cry, as a fan of action games, and as a PC gamer, I've got to say that DmC: Devil May Cry is an absolutely brilliant piece of work. It lacks some of the combat depth and brutal difficulty showcased by its predecessors, and the inability to manually lock on is a genuine frustration at times, but the impossibly high development values and bursting package of thrilling, new visual ideas and epic boss fights more than makes up for the shortcomings. If you're a PC gamer and a fan of spectacle fighters, a genre woefully underrepresented on PC, then it'd be a crime not to pick this game up. Expand
  98. Feb 27, 2013
    This reboot lacks. While being a mediocre hack and slash game with a “style system” mixed in, this game isn't much else. The story was interesting at first but became cringe worthy later on. Character designs were clearing centered around the director of the game with Dante having the same hair style and facial features as said director. Getting beyond all that the combat was really slow. I played it on the hardest difficulty setting and cleared it with no problems and with a Stylish rank. I haven’t even done this in the previous Devil May Cry games. If there is another game and it is made by Ninja Theory, I won’t be buying it. Expand
  99. Feb 5, 2013
    Im a huge Devil May Cry fan and must admit,i was bit skeptical when Capcom decided to outsource DmC to Ninja Thoery but the end product is too awesome to warrant a purchase.The only downside is Dante does look alot like Cristiano Ronaldo and Vergil's a taller version of Messi.Kudos to NT
  100. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese
    make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  101. Jan 29, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s an awesome game, despite its flaws. Whether you like the young Dante or not, is purely a matter of personal taste. But that’s not an excuse to ignore this gem. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    DMC: Devil May Cry sublimates the best of the genre and conquest PC user with a fast-paced and eye-catching title, made of pure action.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Graphical flaws and overly linear gameplay aside, DmC is a solid first installment in the relaunched franchise.