8.3

1. May 7, 2013
    This game is similar to Minecraft's survival mode. You go around gathering resources to craft items, build, feed yourself, and make sure you don't go insane. The insanity meter is interesting because if forces you to do different things otherwise crazy things happen. Death is permanent, so if you die you have to start a new game. For a game that's supposed to be a time-waster and meant toThis game is similar to Minecraft's survival mode. You go around gathering resources to craft items, build, feed yourself, and make sure you don't go insane. The insanity meter is interesting because if forces you to do different things otherwise crazy things happen. Death is permanent, so if you die you have to start a new game. For a game that's supposed to be a time-waster and meant to be played multiple times, it progresses very slowly, and I find that a big issue. I can put in a few hours, finally feel like I'm getting somewhere, and then just like that I can die from monsters or something, and that makes the game feel tedious. If the game started off with some items, like a pick ax, and progressed faster, it would be much better. I would much prefer playing something like FTL which makes me feel like I'm getting a lot more done after playing a short period of time, and I don't mind starting a new game with FTL. This game suffers from that long grind that I'm not a big fan of. It's still worth checking out, but keep in mind of it's pacing. Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is fun within a few days it gets really repetitive and gets boring it's the same old concept pick grass, mine that, pick that up, trap that, and survive, and all just to survive winter.
  3. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have mixed feelings about this game.

The few hours of this game is fantastic. The art style is beautiful and unique. A dark, bleak Tim Burton-esque cartoony look. The music is quirky and gets you in the mood. You are placed in the middle of a survival scenario with a short cinematic and no guidance with interesting looking objects to interact with. You are given absolutely no information on the mechanics of the game. There are three meters, health, hunger and sanity, but these are not explained. You are given a menu on the left of objects you can craft and the materials required, which are not many to start with.

The game is a survival simulator with heavy emphasis on exploration and crafting. Dying is permanent which is made very obvious at the beginning of the game. You will probably die immediately the first night not being told that not having a campfire leads to instant death. Most people will probably die of starvation at some point, they will die when they have their first monster battle without armor, and they will die at the completely arbitrary hound attack that occurs several hours into a playthrough. You lose everything when you die. The early game consists of picking twigs, berries, grass, and collecting wood. You can also dig up grass and saplings to start to cobble a base together. This is time consuming (partially because the animation of picking something which you have to do OVER AND OVER again is somewhat lengthy) and has to be repeated every time you die. You begin to fear death, to the point where you don't want to interact with anything that isn't obviously safe. Now the developer's recommend is to not read the online wiki to preserve mystery. But if death is SO harsh that I don't even want to experiment, is that fun?

Anyways I finally cave and look up the wiki. There is A LOT to the mechanics of this game. You will not be able to figure it out on your own because it is not really intuitive. I had to read the wiki for hours to get a handle on it. The in game descriptions of objects you can craft are laughably vague.

Combat is not fun, it is mainly just clicking an enemy over and over, but you are so easily overwhelmed by more than one enemy or a moderately strong enemy that the main strategy is using hit and run tactics, which isn't very gratifying. You can't wear armor and a backpack at the same time, so you have to switch rapidly into armor whenever you have an encounter. The one ranged weapon in the game I managed to build was the boomerang, which has limited uses and DAMAGES you on the way back if you don't "catch" it, which involves hitting the space key which may or may not work. This is not explained anywhere in the game, you have to look that up online.

The game is very tedious. There wasn't time to explore, nor any great desire to as none of the advanced crafting objects seem like they would make alleviate any of the busy work. You can build a better backpack, but that would slow you down. You could make better armor, but that would slow you down.

Finally I discovered that there is an active modding community. GREAT! It seems to address a lot of these issues. You can add separate slots for backpacks and amulets. Increase the stack size. Tweak the rate food spoils and how hungry you get. Increase the speed of harvesting grass and saplings. Resurrect at your campsite upon death. Increase the container size. Prevent tools and armor from degrading. This removes A LOT of the tedium from the game, and leaves you free to explore. What you discover however once the busy work is removed is there isn't much else to do. Building the advanced objects are not particularly useful or fun. The combat still is not too much fun. There just isn't any real goal.

There is an adventure mode that you have to discover in the game that involves finding various objects in special challenging levels that I think complement the game better, but it doesn't solve a lot of the fundamental issues.

I want this game to be awesome, but it just feels unbalanced and directionless. I find the lack of in game information detracts from the experience. The perma-death and difficulty by obfuscation is enraging and discourages exploration and experimentation. The game has conflicting goals, basically requiring you to set up a base but urging you to explore and be mobile. The crafting and base construction is not rewarding because there is little room for creativity, as most bases will probably look the same between users.

Perhaps with further updates and more mods this game will become more balanced, fun, and rewarding. But it's hard to recommend at the moment. It's for sure fun and addicting for a few hours. Ultimately it is a frustrating and incomplete experience.
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    This game has a lot of motion, but comparatively little action. Most of the game is grinding to collect, convert, research, and collect, mostly for the sake of itself. Though there are apparently some goals in this game, they are largely player imposed. The only game imposed goal (that I have seen) is to not die (starving, losing health), with anything above and beyond that being driven byThis game has a lot of motion, but comparatively little action. Most of the game is grinding to collect, convert, research, and collect, mostly for the sake of itself. Though there are apparently some goals in this game, they are largely player imposed. The only game imposed goal (that I have seen) is to not die (starving, losing health), with anything above and beyond that being driven by the player. The title says it all Don't Starve setting the goal of avoiding a negative condition. Meeting any positive condition is entirely up to the player. Expand
  5. Jul 14, 2013
    Don't Starve incorporates a very interesting gameplay and art design. Hand drawn graphics and art are appreciative and unique. The survival style goal means the main goal of the game. And the music are exceptionally nice. However the extremely repetitive gameplay may meet some people to a boring, expensive game. Your first run may occupy you for hours with excellent survival thoughts andDon't Starve incorporates a very interesting gameplay and art design. Hand drawn graphics and art are appreciative and unique. The survival style goal means the main goal of the game. And the music are exceptionally nice. However the extremely repetitive gameplay may meet some people to a boring, expensive game. Your first run may occupy you for hours with excellent survival thoughts and worrying time decisions. But somehow Don't Starve just doesn't do the deal. It may be another inspiration from Minecraft. But it just doesn't give the same freedom or feel, nor does its title. Don't Starve incorporates unique art and music but lacks gameplay. Expand
  6. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is fun. Very fun indeed. But that fun doesn't last long. When I got it, I couldn't stop playing for about 3 days. I gifted a copy to my gf and she loved it. But after playing some times until day 30-60, that's it. After playing for a week every free moment my gf had, she never looked back. I checked the patchnotes from time to time, even started a few games, but never got into itThe game is fun. Very fun indeed. But that fun doesn't last long. When I got it, I couldn't stop playing for about 3 days. I gifted a copy to my gf and she loved it. But after playing some times until day 30-60, that's it. After playing for a week every free moment my gf had, she never looked back. I checked the patchnotes from time to time, even started a few games, but never got into it again.

Well, there are many big name games that you can finish in one day, so one week of fun is pretty ok. I would recommend this game to everybody. Even players who don't like Minecraft or Terraria. This game is less special, more suited for any gamer. But at the end, it's a game that won't last like those other 2
  7. May 19, 2013
    Clever, excellent art style and general production quality, but once you get past the "oh gee" reaction it's just a grindy clickfest. It's a shame because much more is hinted at, but this just doesn't deliver.
  8. May 1, 2013
    Don’t Starve is one of those, firework kind of games, where you have this expectation of at least a good survival game, and it delivers. However, when the awe of the blast and colors dissipates you see what you are truly left with. Unfortunately, the fun of the games survival mechanic quickly turns into a horrible grind more frustrating and boring than even the most aggravating MMORPG.Don’t Starve is one of those, firework kind of games, where you have this expectation of at least a good survival game, and it delivers. However, when the awe of the blast and colors dissipates you see what you are truly left with. Unfortunately, the fun of the games survival mechanic quickly turns into a horrible grind more frustrating and boring than even the most aggravating MMORPG.
    But this is not to take away from some of the games better points. Though the beginning of the game can eventually become a boring grind, especially if you die a lot, if you’re able to continue past the first winter you are golden and able to explore as much as you want. The biomes are beautifully done in the games unique art style, and almost seems to call for you to find out what is hiding around every corner.
    I loved the survival mechanic of eating, and that they added a very rarely seen mental aspect to the game that added a number of levels to the difficulty and the fun. I also liked the crafting system in the game and that for most of the tech all you needed was a science machine and the proper ingredients. And with the supplies you have gathered always at risk of going bad you find yourself constantly trying to improve the longevity of your provisions.
    The monsters, in the beginning, can be somewhat bland and boring, with spiders, the occasional wolf, and the beefalo wandering around, but with some searching and a little bit of luck you can stumble across some of the more interesting creatures in the game. I found that some of my favorites were the clockwork creatures, but only because I needed their guts in order to make my refrigerator.
    The combat is fairly simple in Don’t Starve, just click and kill. You do need to watch you distance from the larger enemies, because they don’t become stunned when attacking and they hit for massive damage, but for the most part they are all killable with a range of effort. There are a few ranged weapons, but they really don’t warrant much mentioning
    But is the game as a whole a good game?
    Yes it is. It’s the type of game that you can play when everything else had bored you and you want a challenge. It’s a welcome breath of fresh air and a look away from the perpetual easy mode that has plagued most games in recent years, and though the game can become quite the grind at certain points you cannot resist its unique charm and allure.
    This game gets a 6. It’s a Decent game and fun to play when you’re bored, but not something that you should really be killing to get.
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    Its a survival with a dark mood to it. Its just too repetetive though. Especially the first week or so you kind of have to do the exact same things every time you play and it just makes it tedious. I think of you are really into survivals you have to try it though cause it has a lot of cool stuff in it. Good music, mysterious creatures and fauna. It looks original and the lore is creepy!Its a survival with a dark mood to it. Its just too repetetive though. Especially the first week or so you kind of have to do the exact same things every time you play and it just makes it tedious. I think of you are really into survivals you have to try it though cause it has a lot of cool stuff in it. Good music, mysterious creatures and fauna. It looks original and the lore is creepy! It could have been great i suspect but the long start-up that looks the same everytime is moving me away from this game. Expand
  10. May 26, 2013
    Like some here have already mentioned it takes quite a while and grinding to get a good game going and there are so many things one can do that I spent more time reading guides on the web than actually playing. Which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a permadeath game. In which case one could just enjoy the great, quirky design and the loads of possibilities of things to do in the world.Like some here have already mentioned it takes quite a while and grinding to get a good game going and there are so many things one can do that I spent more time reading guides on the web than actually playing. Which wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a permadeath game. In which case one could just enjoy the great, quirky design and the loads of possibilities of things to do in the world. But as it stands, I feel way too much pressure that I would want to bother finding out where to get a resource and how to build something. Expand
  11. Jul 14, 2013
    Don't Starve seems the interesting game. The player is to survive as long as possible in a randomly generated location. Must include build a shelter, get food, build and sustain a fire, build tools, make clothes etc... Still performing the same steps the game becomes boring and the game does not have a deeper storyline and quests
  12. May 4, 2013
    Would wait for a few updates after it gets repetitive and gets a little depleted of resources. But its great with the aspects, gameplay and graphics!
  13. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is great game with well thought out game mechanics. I played it for about a week constantly. The only issue is that after playing it for a bit and determining a certain strategy it falls into more of a routine than a game. The game is novel and fun, but its not too long lasting. Beefalo are game breakers. Expand
  14. Jun 22, 2013
    I have to say that this is a mildly good game, with the exception of somewhat repeating certain thing,
    this isn't like other survival games, because you have to focus on not starving, but it IS only in beta, so it certainly has potential to become a very good game.
  15. May 24, 2013
    Don't Starve was fairly entertaining for a good 10 hours or so, which is more than I can say for most indie games. However, Don't Starve can get very boring very quickly. First of all, the begging of the game essentially consists of you running around the wilderness to find a gold nugget for your Science Machine, which could take anywhere from 30 seconds to almost an hour of in-game time.Don't Starve was fairly entertaining for a good 10 hours or so, which is more than I can say for most indie games. However, Don't Starve can get very boring very quickly. First of all, the begging of the game essentially consists of you running around the wilderness to find a gold nugget for your Science Machine, which could take anywhere from 30 seconds to almost an hour of in-game time. After that you build a base, and gather materials, and you don't really have any goal to it all. From what I've read in the update logs, there is some sort of actual story mode, but I have not been able to access it yet. I would normally give a game a free pass for still being in-development, but it clearly states that Don't Starve has had a full release but is still being updated. Speaking of apparently being a "full release," I cannot access fullscreen mode until I go to the .ini files. Running a game in windowed mode is an immediate immersion breaker imo, which was rather disappointing, considering I didn't know I could fix this for the first couple of hours. In the end, I suppose Don't Starve is a decent enough survival game, but Terraria and Minecraft are both far better options at the moment. Expand
  16. Jun 23, 2013
    An enjoyably hard wilderness survival adventure featuring everyone's favorite excuse for not creating a save system, permadeath! Don't Starve is a great "night cap" game; something you can play for a few in-game days, gathering mats, exploring for monster camps, or just trying to not starve. It's pretty relaxing (at least until winter) just gathering mats, unlocking new recipes andAn enjoyably hard wilderness survival adventure featuring everyone's favorite excuse for not creating a save system, permadeath! Don't Starve is a great "night cap" game; something you can play for a few in-game days, gathering mats, exploring for monster camps, or just trying to not starve. It's pretty relaxing (at least until winter) just gathering mats, unlocking new recipes and creating new tools to help you explore. With seven characters, each with their own personality and advantages, there is tons of replay value with every enormous randomly generated map (or one customized by you) providing new challenges. The most frustrating element isn't the randomization for once; I feel that the permadeath is unnecessary and Don't Starve would benefit more from a checkpoint system.

Overall this is worth the asking price if you enjoyed Minecraft or Terraria and are looking for a deeper, more difficult single player experience in the survival genre.
  17. AWG
    Jun 8, 2013
    Way too repetitive and random for my tastes. You basically keep doing the same thing over and over and over and if you're lucky you get to find useful thing (to build tools that help you to do that same thing again) and if you're not you die (and then you have to start it all from the very beginning). This game was fun for just a couple of hours, then it became a dead-end job.
  18. May 28, 2013
    I wanted to like Don't Starve. It's a unique and intriguing game with a charming Tim Burtonesque paper art style.

Unfortunately, the game lacks any sort of significant hook to keep players coming back. After only a few games of Don't Starve I found myself extremely bored with the title as the game lacks addictive qualities. You spend your time in the game picking up resources which

You spend your time in the game picking up resources which are then crafted into tools for survival. This crafting system *could* have been the addictive hook for the game if recipes were kept a mystery ala Minecraft, but you can see all of the components needed for each craftable.

Each game is spent collecting resources and crafting with no other gameplay elements to speak of. It quickly becomes monotonous and tedious.

Don't Starve is missing that one last element to make it a fun and engaging game. Multiplayer capabilities, recipe discoveries, end game goals, terrain sculpting, any of these might give it that extra bit of flavor and make the endeavor seem less pointless.

As it stands the game is just too bland and narrow in scope.
  19. Apr 23, 2013
    Don't Starve is receiving the standard "Indie game devs games are always perfect" praise that most working indie games. Don't Starve seemed like an interesting concept, but not anything particularly new. It seemed to draw on elements of Minecraft, Terraria, and other survival based "Create your own adventure" sort of games. The problem with Don't Starve isn't that the game is really badlyDon't Starve is receiving the standard "Indie game devs games are always perfect" praise that most working indie games. Don't Starve seemed like an interesting concept, but not anything particularly new. It seemed to draw on elements of Minecraft, Terraria, and other survival based "Create your own adventure" sort of games. The problem with Don't Starve isn't that the game is really badly made or anything it looks fine and I didn't encounter any errors or glitches. The problem is the game becomes boring really quick. After I managed to survive for awhile I kept exploring and just didn't find anything but more of what I already had. You can craft better items and some can be helpful, but generally they just serve to help you do the same things over and over again quicker. I think the other reviewers were playing a different game, the crafting system in this game was very boring and uninspired. Literally the ingredients needed are listed and the crafted items generally either do the same things faster or they provide information that's not really that helpful. I found rocks to be very sparse compared to other resources in the game which required very lengthy expeditions to find new rock after all the relatively local rock was mined. While I didn't get bored of Minecraft until some time after I played it, same with Terraria I was bored of Don't Starve very quickly. It just felt tedious and boring. Parts of Minecraft and Terraria felt like this too, but they had their rewarding accomplishments. Don't Starve feels like a game that exists just to exist. When I inevitably died from lack of enough resources derived from rocks, I just had no real drive to try again. If you enjoy really repetitive games, you might like Don't Starve but I got bored with this one so quickly I got a refund while it was still a pre-order. I'm giving this game a decent score because it's not broken, it's just not that much fun. The game feels too limited about what you can build or do, so it really seems to lack the fun value of a Terraria or Minecraft kind of game. I love survival games, but this one just lacked any real interesting elements to it. Minecraft and Terraria may not be survival games at their core but they had more enjoyable survival elements than Don't Starve by far. Expand
  20. Jun 26, 2013
    The gameplay aspect is pretty much right where I want it. Deep, challenging, and replayable. A few too many "screw you" things that can happen (those tree monsters that follow you until you're dead for no reason) but overall, the gameplay is solid. But the art style is just disgusting to me. It's a game in love with tim burton to a fault. If this game had a decent art style I'd be playingThe gameplay aspect is pretty much right where I want it. Deep, challenging, and replayable. A few too many "screw you" things that can happen (those tree monsters that follow you until you're dead for no reason) but overall, the gameplay is solid. But the art style is just disgusting to me. It's a game in love with tim burton to a fault. If this game had a decent art style I'd be playing it right now, but something about the scribble-doodle art style just doesn't lend itself well towards a game that you're supposed to play again and again. An adventure game? sure. But the gameplay just can't make up for the fact that I feel like I'm playing a papercraft game with art consisting of 15 bucks thrown at deviantart commissions from tim burton fans. Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2013
    While very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed withWhile very late to the build and survive theme, it still offers some enjoyment. There is no story and no plot (well maybe some in the adventure mode) and all you have to do is survive as long as you can or want. You have three stats. Health, Hunger and Sanity. You start out with some instructions for tools to get you started and then you're on your own to explore a world mixed with forests, deserts swamps and more. The longer you survive the more Experience Points you earn and each level unlocked unlocks a new character with its own unique skill. The price is a tad too much so I'd wait for a sale or a dollar drop. It's sandbox so after all, it's repetitive, but it needs to be. The world customization is very touch. Everything is set as default, the problem is when clicks "more" or "less" the unbalance between them literally makes them one click from "not enough and must start new game" to "too much and no skill required." It's fun for a thirty to sixty minute play, but you can (and will) become bored very quickly so don't play it in huge amounts of time. Expand
  22. Jul 23, 2013
    Duh, too many to discover, too many, I don't know, too long died, but keep playing! Discover, craft, fight, eat, survive, collect, don't starve! I like it, hope you like it too!
  23. May 25, 2013
    Don't Starve is A very Great game i think, but it takes really long time too begin, and it bores me a bit, so i've only played it like 3 hours, but a good time-waster! So if you like Tim Burton Art, this is the game for you!
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    Can a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings andCan a game be good and bad at the same time? To me, Don't Starve fills both roles and leaves me with mixed feelings. This game is fun the first few play through's. You're learning and adapting and dying and all the while it's fun and rewarding. Then you survive your first winter and realize there really isn't much more to the game beyond finding food everyday and picking saplings and grass. On my 2nd play through I survived 72 days and ended up committing suicide because the game had lost all meaning.

The problem is not that the game is bad. The problem is that the game looses it's reward system once you grasp the basics of it. The mood of the game is great, the setting is nice, the art style is spot on, but once you've played for a few hours the wonder ceases. If we look at Minecraft's rewards, yes you spend hours grinding away, mining blocks, but then you turn them into works of art and mechanical systems only limited by your minds eye. If we look at Unreal World, you spend months hauling logs and barely catching enough fish to survive. When you finally get your log cabin built and you spend the first night sleeping, not in a lean to, but a house you built with your own hands and sweat you feel like you really accomplished something.

Compare that with Don't Starve where you are not able to built a real house, only walls and a floor. No door or bed is included in the crafting recipes. No place to call home. You can make a bed roll that's only good for one night and leaves your overly starving. Or you could build a tent, at a fairly high cost to silk, that only lasts for 6 uses and leaves you begging for food. Yes, sleeping punishes you by making you nearly starve to death. Apparently sleep increases your metabolism five fold. Most nights you will find yourself, waiting till daylight, around a campfire just wasting IRL time.

All that being said, there is a great game here. It's fun to play, even if it's just for a few hours at a time. There is great potential within it's construct. I really hope the developers continue to expand and provide more rewards to players. At this time I can't suggest buying the game full price. If you find it for under $10 then consider it, otherwise just put this on your wishlist and check back in a year's time to see how it's progressed.
  25. Jun 22, 2014
    This game isn't for me, too much time investment and grinding for very little reward. I've never been a fan of rogue-like games so if you're reading this review and you tend not to like rogue like games you might want to pass.

If you do like rogue like games and wish they had crafting then hey, this is probably going to be a great game for you. I'll stick with Terraria/Starbound/Minecraft/etc. to fill my sandbox needs which are in my opinion superior to this game in every way. There are way more 10's given to this game than it deserves.
  26. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    Do you like finding new things? Do you fancy the idea of no hand-holding? But do you hate starting all over again if you made a fatal mistake? Also do you hate grinding & repetition? But not the kind of grinding where you are furious of having to go through the same things again but the kind where you feel you are going somewhere & want to continue deeper?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of these questions then this game is for you.
  27. Aug 2, 2014
    Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind,Don't Starve is a game crammed with polish and creativity. The art and atmosphere are brilliant. Unfortunately, the game eventually lost me with its tedious foraging system. There are so many fun and original things you can do in this game, but it takes an absurd amount of grinding to get to those things. If the foraging was actually a challenge, the rewards might feel worth the grind, but the foraging is not challenging, just busy work. I would have put a lot more time into this game if the recipes required fewer ingredients. However, I feel like I must not be exactly the target audience, so for what it is trying to be, Don't Starve succeeds. Expand
  28. Jul 2, 2014
    Don't Starve - If you see the game for the first time, it looks fun, graphics and simple and nice, idea is good. It's seriously true.

Don't Starve will be very fun for everyone who likes survival games. You will have to check your hunger, sanity and health, and to balance everything, you will have to eat, as the title says: don't starve. Some food makes you be less hungry, some makes you be less sane(you can also see ghosts if you are not sane enough), etc. etc... That's not everything. There is also day-night cycle, summer-winter cycle, the game gets really harder and harder as you keep surviving so be prepared! There is also many characters with unique aspects to unlock as you survive, so the content is huge.

BUT... At the beginning, you will probably keep dying, then you go play again and find more content, then you die again, start again, find more content, die again, start again, die again... The game gets BORING more and more, because you make something wrong and you have to start again this whole process.
    LUCKILY... There is a Steam workshop, and if you get really bored, go find something that fixes your mood.

7/10 Try not to starve...
  29. May 15, 2013
    This is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriadThis is absolutely not a game that will hold your hand. There is no tutorial period and when you die, you start over. It's old school like that, almost as if it's a remastered game from the golden age of Nintendo. The difficulty in progressing through your first in game year of play will frustrate and turn a lot of people off, but the satisfaction in independently solving the myriad challenges relentlessly thrust upon your character in this hostile world is exhilarating.

Yeah, you should try not to starve. But honestly, the ever present threat of starvation is hardly the greatest obstacle to your character's survival. Maintaining sanity amidst violent monsters both real and imagined, protecting yourself from the harsh climate, even escaping the lethal darkness of night provide more than enough of a challenge for those willing to put in the work it takes to discover this surprisingly large world.

I've had an absolute blast with this game, expecting to play only around 15 hours. I've now logged 70+. A survival management simulation at it's core, this game really can't be much better for it's price. So don't starve, but really, watch out for those Hell Hounds.

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Don’t Starve is a game for those who persevere. The infinitely playable survival RPG with an artsy appearance tests your endurance, but rewards players with a surprisingly unique experience.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    It's a game that just keeps giving, even as it tears your life from you. [Issue#136, p.110]
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A refreshingly upfront experience, right down to the title. A game that shoves players into a complex, harsh world with little explanation, it can be tough to parse at first. But little by little, Don't Starve reveals itself via deep mechanics and an ever-evolving world. It started strong and got better.