Doom 3 BFG Edition PC

5.3

1. Nov 8, 2013
    It was a really fun game and the graphics may have been a pretty bad but it was a really fun experience and most games don't have that great ending the endings such as: quake 4/ turok fear2 games like that make you feel completed after you finished the game this game did that for me.
  2. Jun 3, 2014
    Doom 3 BFG edition is not strictly a great game, but it at least reaches a level of decency, in my eyes. The game is not merely Doom 3, but also includes the original and Doom 2, which are great games on their own. Doom 3 is not necessarily fantastic, but it's a fun corridor shooter that I recalled playing several years ago on the original Xbox. Wanting to relive the relative nostalgia, IDoom 3 BFG edition is not strictly a great game, but it at least reaches a level of decency, in my eyes. The game is not merely Doom 3, but also includes the original and Doom 2, which are great games on their own. Doom 3 is not necessarily fantastic, but it's a fun corridor shooter that I recalled playing several years ago on the original Xbox. Wanting to relive the relative nostalgia, I bought this to see if it was as good as I remembered it being. I hate to say that it wasn't as great as I remember, but still rather fun and intriguing. The story is a little cliche and predictable, but the setup itself is interesting and, at some times, slightly disturbing (which is a good thing, considering this is effectively meant to be a horror game). Some enemy designs are a little uninspired; generic, humanoid demons and possessed people will be the earliest encounters you face. However, later on in the game, there are more interesting monsters; floating demon faces, that are horrifying on their own, and cyborg hellhounds will appear later on.

Ultimately, it's not fantastic, but for the amount of content (multiple expansion packs and three doom games), you can't really go wrong anyway.
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    Doom is an awesome game, it rightly deserves it's accolades to the world of FPS. However, this isn't something you should spend your money on. If you already own Doom3 on PC and have downloaded any of the great mods available for free there is really no reason to buy this game. If you've never played it, by all means pick this up, otherwise save your dough for something else. I wantedDoom is an awesome game, it rightly deserves it's accolades to the world of FPS. However, this isn't something you should spend your money on. If you already own Doom3 on PC and have downloaded any of the great mods available for free there is really no reason to buy this game. If you've never played it, by all means pick this up, otherwise save your dough for something else. I wanted some crazy update to the graphics or levels/gameplay. I was saddened by what I got. Expand
  4. Oct 17, 2012
    Quite honestly, I am a little bit disappointed. I simply expected more. There are completely free (!) mods by the community, that offer better graphics than this. So for your 20 bucks, you get slightly better graphics and wide screen support + some minor game tweaks that make it a tad bit faster. I really love the whole Doom series, but this seems to me like just like an attempt to milkQuite honestly, I am a little bit disappointed. I simply expected more. There are completely free (!) mods by the community, that offer better graphics than this. So for your 20 bucks, you get slightly better graphics and wide screen support + some minor game tweaks that make it a tad bit faster. I really love the whole Doom series, but this seems to me like just like an attempt to milk players for some more money. Had this been free for people who bought the original Doom 3 + RoE, it would have been really awesome. But this way, its just the old good Doom 3 with some minor graphic additions and missions, that could have been easily added via a patch and completely free of charge. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2012
    "Remastered" is the wrong word, its just a re-release targeted towards consoles, the textures are poor and blurry, there aren't many graphics option for PC users, even with the AA maxed out it still looks blurry and the sharpness is not there what the original Doom 3 had, the lighting is bright and the default FOV is set to 60 which really feels annoying, these changes can be done using"Remastered" is the wrong word, its just a re-release targeted towards consoles, the textures are poor and blurry, there aren't many graphics option for PC users, even with the AA maxed out it still looks blurry and the sharpness is not there what the original Doom 3 had, the lighting is bright and the default FOV is set to 60 which really feels annoying, these changes can be done using the console but then if you use or even activate the console, the achievements wont work. I read somewhere they have optimized this version only for consoles, the game runs at a blazing 120 FPS maxed out on my 9800GT but it looks like the original doom 3 on medium settings.

The pack comes with doom 1 and 2 which are enjoyable today and run beautifully on current systems,
    game-play is solid, its nostalgic where you worm through darkness and there is always something that lurches toward you...sound design is perfect, i can imagine playing this with the occulus rift but maybe that will take a while to commercialize, for standard display this game looks average.

Buy it only if you are a hardcore fan as it provides extra content called lost mission and serves as an entry to your collection, or if you have never played doom 3, this is your chance to experience it as graphics is the only flaw with the release otherwise this game is WAY BETTER than most of the FPS that we play today.
  6. Oct 22, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is okay. I have always loved the doom games since I grew up with them, but revisiting Doom 3 makes me realized how far along shooters have come in the past few years. What was jaw-dropping then in terms of visuals now look quite dated, and ID have done little to improve the look of the game. The expansions are pretty pointless, more embarrassing than anything else.Doom 3: BFG Edition is okay. I have always loved the doom games since I grew up with them, but revisiting Doom 3 makes me realized how far along shooters have come in the past few years. What was jaw-dropping then in terms of visuals now look quite dated, and ID have done little to improve the look of the game. The expansions are pretty pointless, more embarrassing than anything else. Resurrection of Evil, with its new weapons just screams, "Hey guys! We can be like Half-Life 2 and FEAR also!", which at the time was hopping on the bandwagon of shooter trends whereas now it's just old and outdated. While it was a more or less fun experience, I wish they had done more to improve the look of the game and the frustrating and tedious elements of the game have only gotten worse over time. People new to the series won't be won over but long-time fans will probably have a bit of fun enjoying an old favorite. Expand
  7. Oct 21, 2012
    This new 'enhanced' edition of Doom 3 is nothing more of a tweak. There, I said it. Its essentially a mod for Doom 3. Graphically, the game is considerably brighter. This doesn't really destroy the atmosphere of the original version at all but when you consider that they've changed the signature flashlight mechanic to a Half-Life-esque battery drain/attached-to-suit flashlight that makes aThis new 'enhanced' edition of Doom 3 is nothing more of a tweak. There, I said it. Its essentially a mod for Doom 3. Graphically, the game is considerably brighter. This doesn't really destroy the atmosphere of the original version at all but when you consider that they've changed the signature flashlight mechanic to a Half-Life-esque battery drain/attached-to-suit flashlight that makes a lot of scares just plain dumb, it degrades the entire game. Apart from this, graphic-wise, the BFG edition does not go the extra mile at all to enhance the overall graphical fidelity. Dont expect any HD-makeover here at all. The texture res still suck balls, shadows r basically the same and overall detail remains largely unchanged. In terms of gameplay, its basically the same thing - shotgun, MG, chaingun, Pulse Rifle and BFG monsters from hell though dozens of generic cold steel facilities. It gets repetitive but on a personal level, I did get a nostalgic rush to the days of old in high school where my friends and I would lose our **** at playing Doom 3 back in 2005 on a fishbowl PC. But in the end, why would I want to spend $39 on a game which I could've got from Steam for $9? This is for the young only, those who did not experience the terror that Doom 3 evoked upon us gamers back in the day. Though the most they might do is get bored after a few hours and go play prettier, more dynamic shooters with decent plotlines.
    Oh and it also comes with Doom 1 and 2 (No, I dont want to fck up my eyes thnx). But overall, its as expected - Doom 3 with some tweaks. id Software, just give us Doom 4. After Rage, we just cant take anymore of your bull****.
  8. Oct 19, 2012
    Shamefully removes the co-op that WAS IN THE ORIGINAL GAME, which kills all the value this game could have had. The DooM 1 and 2 ports are really awful as well, how do you get such a horrible framerate for such old games?
    I can't recommend this over the original DooM 3 due to the lack of co-op play
  9. nop
    Oct 31, 2012
    I'm one of those people who stopped playing original Doom 3 on Alpha labs stages, because of its irritating and repetitive gameplay, darkness and wildly varying performance. I'm proud to say that I managed to finish this version, so it's not that bad after all. I'll be frank, Doom 3 never was a shining example of good game design, shooting was meh(weak weapons, bullet sponge enemies),I'm one of those people who stopped playing original Doom 3 on Alpha labs stages, because of its irritating and repetitive gameplay, darkness and wildly varying performance. I'm proud to say that I managed to finish this version, so it's not that bad after all. I'll be frank, Doom 3 never was a shining example of good game design, shooting was meh(weak weapons, bullet sponge enemies), scares were cheap, story was weak. But very solid graphics engine and level design. I played for bits of good old Doom 1-2 left in it and never liked that flashlight mechanics where you can't see enemies when you can actually shoot at them. In this version this problem was solved, making it faster, more dynamic. For me, this is a plus. I would prefer a more subtle solution, though. But they just removed most of the dynamic lighting from the game. Basically, it has detail of the PC version with slightly improved textures, but lighting from old xbox 1 port. Thanks to this change, performance is very stable, but a lot of lighting magic is lost. BTW, Radeon owners can use rs_enable 0 console command to remove an unnecessary feature that makes the game slow on their systems. But there is a killer feature in this game. Stereoscopic 3D is really, really good. This is, in fact, the first game with stereo3D that I played inthis mode from start to finish, where you can get an awesome depth perception and a solid performance on 3 years old PC hardware. Console tweaks help, of course. Too bad, they didn't try to convert old Doom games to improved engine with stereo3d support, making them even more awesome than they already are. But who would play Doom 3 then? Expand
  10. Oct 20, 2012
    Owning every Doom game and being a Doom fan doesn't even make this good. Classic Doom port, tough better than older game reissues, is still sub par vs existing source ports, and removing all nazi references from the secrets levels from doom2 (and even the red crosses from the medkits (wtf?)), doesn't make it any better. As for Doom3, they made it substantially brighter, updated the UI, andOwning every Doom game and being a Doom fan doesn't even make this good. Classic Doom port, tough better than older game reissues, is still sub par vs existing source ports, and removing all nazi references from the secrets levels from doom2 (and even the red crosses from the medkits (wtf?)), doesn't make it any better. As for Doom3, they made it substantially brighter, updated the UI, and tuned the engine for todays standards (widescreen, 3d)... on the bad side: no graphics options, horrid console fov, no mod support... in this case it is also better to run old Doom3 with all the awesome graphics addon and you'll get what BFG should have been. The new "Lost Mission" contains 2 hours of gameplay made up of refurbished Doom3 content, and even tough the new Hell level is nice, it is not worth the price of admission, it should be your usual 4$ DLC. VEREDICT: Worthwhile only if you are a hardcore doom fan and don't care the price tag, haven't played doom ever OR if you own a PS3 and want to get a taste of it. Expand
  11. Oct 16, 2012
    I would recommend this for someone who likes old school games, because even with small improvements in graphics, BFG edition still looks very old and choppy. But if you like to kill monsters and have little bit of jump scare, then this probably will be fun, especially with Resurrection of Evil, Lost mission additions.

If you have played or own Doom 3, then not much new here, and its

If you have played or own Doom 3, then not much new here, and its probably not even worth the money.
  12. Oct 16, 2012
    I loved the Doom series, but this is little more than a cash in. Lost Mission is the only real new content here, and I would probably pay $10 for it, but the $30 admission price ($20 with a Steam discount) is far too much for what you get. The only reason I didn't rate this in the negatives is that if you have never played the series before, this is a good way to get them all in one place.
  13. Nov 3, 2012
    I played through the original Doom 3 on PC and loved it - especially after the duct tape mod (The one where you can use your flashlight and weapon at the same time). The BFG edition lets you do this at the get go. Other than that, the graphics look about the same. Again, they may have been updated, but nothing too outrageous. If you are a horror FPS gamer then this is a must play.I played through the original Doom 3 on PC and loved it - especially after the duct tape mod (The one where you can use your flashlight and weapon at the same time). The BFG edition lets you do this at the get go. Other than that, the graphics look about the same. Again, they may have been updated, but nothing too outrageous. If you are a horror FPS gamer then this is a must play. However, as of the time of this writing, this game is $30 on Steam. I believe this is way too over priced. I would have given this game an "8" but because of the price it has earned a 6. A fair price for this game would be $15 IMO. If you haven't checked this one out yet, it is not too dated to still be enjoyable. Even if you have played this game before, it is worth another visit. This collection does contain Doom 1 + 2. While these are classics, I do feel that they are too dated to be really great by today's standards. Just my opinion. Check this out when the price comes down a bit. Expand
  14. Nov 26, 2012
    I picked up Doom 3: BFG edition, mostly for the extra content they claimed to have added to the game. I already owned and loved Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil, so I already knew it was a game I knew and loved.

I know a lot of people complained about Doom 3's graphics, but I honestly never had an issue with it. By today's standards, the game is dated, but many games are. When compared to other games and movies that were given the "HD" treatment, it's almost always the same. You can't take a game that is 7 years old and expect superior graphics without major re-work. With that being said, I don't find Doom 3 BFG to be any more offensive in that department then any other game I've played this year. I find it unbelievable that people are throwing a ♥♥♥♥♥ fit about the graphics when STEAM is still pushing "8bit" garbage in the Indie Department.

People complained about the human models. Who gives a damn? Honestly? Wasn't doom about shooting demons and wading through pools of blood? Not how some of the character models didn't look perfect? Some of you have lost your way.

Another complaint has been the sound. I don't know, I don't notice any difference, or upgrade for that matter. I live in a duplex and use a pair of wireless Afterglow headset for all of my gaming, it sounds great and I have no complaints.

Added Xbox 360 controller support is great.

So then, where's the beef? The 3D. I use a 3D TV that supports multiple modes, which I have connected to my computer. I have no problems viewing 3D images and watching 3D BluRay rips on my computer, never have. You can tell when people don't work very hard on 3D, you can tell RIGHT AWAY, because with 3D you either do it right the first time, or it's shoddy the whole way through.

They didn't work as hard on the 3D as they could have or should have. 3D was one of the major selling points for me and I am really dispointed with this. No matter what adjustments I make, there is always a very slight ghosting on the 3D imaging, which is a huge let down for me.

For people who haven't played Doom 3, this is an all in one package that is fine, there isn't anything WRONG with it. For people looking for a great 3D game experience to freshen up an old great, don't bother, it's not very good.
  15. Jan 2, 2013
    They at least deliver what is advertised in this game pack. This edition is exclusive to the Steam network and it seems these Doom games cannot be played on my Sharp HDTV in full screen without clipping the edges of the screen. I am forced to play in windowed mode, but at least the game window fills up most of my TV monitor. This is not usually an issue with modern games... Moving on: theThey at least deliver what is advertised in this game pack. This edition is exclusive to the Steam network and it seems these Doom games cannot be played on my Sharp HDTV in full screen without clipping the edges of the screen. I am forced to play in windowed mode, but at least the game window fills up most of my TV monitor. This is not usually an issue with modern games... Moving on: the Doom 3 expansions are present and work just fine. As far as parts of the game being 'remastered' I couldn't really tell since I was forced to play in windowed mode so the improved lighting effects didn't really jump out at me. Speaking of which- the inclusion of the shoulder mounted flashlight sort of negates any cool looking shadows and lighting effects to begin with and I suspect most people will use it constantly while playing. Personally I thought the shoulder flashlight was a bit cheap, since it severely reduced the difficulty of the game. Weapon mounted flashlights would have been an acceptable compromise but that is just my opinion. For delivering Doom 1, 2, and 3 with expansions with few issues, I think Bethesda delivered what was advertised. It is what is it, essentially a thowback to linear shooters that contain mindless shooting. To be frank, modern games blow the Doom genre out of the water. Expand
  16. Jul 25, 2013
    If u dont have the original Doom 3 with RoE then its worth it, if u do have it, there is no reason to buy this edition just for new 1,5 hours campaing.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 30, 2012
    Doom 3 still works as a linear shooter but its new release is charmless. Try it if you weren't able to play it during its original release or if you are a devoted collector. Otherwise you can skip it easily. [Dec 2012]
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is a somewhat odd release that actually makes the classic game worse. The lack of graphic options and forced flashlight mode among other things makes this a very lazy and lacking remake that's hard to recommend to anyone.
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    What is the point of this "improved" edition if it looks much worse than the original DOOM 3 with the fan-made Sikkmod installed?