Doom 3 BFG Edition PC

5.3

1. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a fan of Quake, DOOM, id Software and FPS Arena games. The game is very good. Why this score? Because Bethesda took it and dumbed it down. They re-proposed the same game which was released in 2004 and raised its price. Stop. They promised to make it HD, but there's not any big graphics change. This game isn't worth its price. It's just Doom 3. Even if they made graphics very muchI'm a fan of Quake, DOOM, id Software and FPS Arena games. The game is very good. Why this score? Because Bethesda took it and dumbed it down. They re-proposed the same game which was released in 2004 and raised its price. Stop. They promised to make it HD, but there's not any big graphics change. This game isn't worth its price. It's just Doom 3. Even if they made graphics very much better, why raising the price so much? And remember that in the original Doom 3, there are many mods that make it even look better than Doom 3 BFG Edition! It's just the same game, with an expansion! Same thing with Quake Live. It's free, but it's full of publicity of Bethesda games, and it's not open anymore. Damn. As innovation, I'd rate this game a 0/10. As a flop, I'd rate it a 10/10. BUY THE ORIGINAL DOOM 1/2/3! Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2013
    While the original Doom 3 was a atmospheric game with lots of new ideas and some truly ambitious ideas this is a quick bad remake oh no wait its in HD yeah but unlike Halo Anniversary the textures are a little better and cleaner but they turn the lights on and the atmosphere goes down and you can the Doom 3 HD Mod which looks better than BFG and the levels that come with it are boring andWhile the original Doom 3 was a atmospheric game with lots of new ideas and some truly ambitious ideas this is a quick bad remake oh no wait its in HD yeah but unlike Halo Anniversary the textures are a little better and cleaner but they turn the lights on and the atmosphere goes down and you can the Doom 3 HD Mod which looks better than BFG and the levels that come with it are boring and bland there are modded levels but you could download mods with amazing extra levels like Doom 3 Classic Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2012
    When the words "remastered", "enhanced", "new campaign" and others are thrown around you'd expect a whole new rich experience and honestly i was also lured into playing this when "includes a copy of Doom and Doom II" came to my attention, and what was that end product again: A mediocre attempt to improve graphics that can already be improved even better with FREE mods and an unoptimizedWhen the words "remastered", "enhanced", "new campaign" and others are thrown around you'd expect a whole new rich experience and honestly i was also lured into playing this when "includes a copy of Doom and Doom II" came to my attention, and what was that end product again: A mediocre attempt to improve graphics that can already be improved even better with FREE mods and an unoptimized Doom & Doom II that any decent source port can run flawlessly in widescreen resolution and with full mouse view support, add to that the lackluster graphic options in Doom 3 and what you get is a disappointing package that could have been the ultimate gaming compilation of recent years, shame on you John Carmack for letting this game slide. Expand
  4. Oct 17, 2012
    While no doubt influential games, Doom and its sequel aren't really up for review anymore. (It does say BFG edition after all) Simply comparing Doom 3 to Painkiller, Far Cry or Half-Life 2 (all released in the same year) seems the fairest, because the modern FPS genre has eclipsed what Doom 3 accomplished in 2004. In my opinion, it is inferior I'll start with some good- Doom 3 didWhile no doubt influential games, Doom and its sequel aren't really up for review anymore. (It does say BFG edition after all) Simply comparing Doom 3 to Painkiller, Far Cry or Half-Life 2 (all released in the same year) seems the fairest, because the modern FPS genre has eclipsed what Doom 3 accomplished in 2004. In my opinion, it is inferior I'll start with some good- Doom 3 did influence, through its use of audio tapes and storytelling, some of what Irrational implemented in Bioshock a few years later. (Maybe, can't prove this obviously) So yes, it leads you along a sci-fi corridor roller coaster, albeit a hackneyed and trite one. Let's be honest here - the story, characters and writing is below the standards of a star trek fanfic. How they went with some of the schlock I'll never know. Every cutscene I'm looking for the skip key, and that's telling. Replaying it now has changed nothing since 2004. From a fundamental perspective, I detest the choice of the 'monster closets' in this game. It presents a die and retry pattern to the campaign that only the most stalwart sympathizers could enjoy. (Sidebar- I think Rage is a great id game...) This game is below average- not truly awful, but lacking in almost every conceivable category, especially in 2012. Expand
  5. Jul 1, 2015
    - This Version is NOT moddable! (!)
    - Cutscenes are unskippable.
    - there is NO Editor! - sound-design is very, very bad! Everything sounds like an old kitchen-radio. - The weapons, especially the shotgun sound like a plastic-gun. (the most iconic doom-gun, the Shotgun ! sounds so poorly recorded that it's a shame!). - Killed enemies dissapear (!) - Less gore than in Doom 1 & 2. -
    - This Version is NOT moddable! (!)
    - Cutscenes are unskippable.
    - there is NO Editor!
    - sound-design is very, very bad!
    Everything sounds like an old kitchen-radio.
    - Killed enemies dissapear (!)
    - Less gore than in Doom 1 & 2.
    - It's too dark. I know it wants to create a "spooky" and dark atmosphere. But imho it fails and can't deliver much more then cheap Jumpscares (and hides many well build and textured assets in the world)
    - less enemies than the predecessors
    - much slower gameplay than the first two games!
    - boring dark hallways with the same linear leveldesign from the beginning to the end!

I personally wouldn't recommend the BFG-Edition and would rather say: Go buy doom 1 & 2 instead, install the Brutal Doom-mod and have the fun of your lifetime (especially with some of the enhanced and remixed soundtracks like DoomMetal!) It has even a coop-mode!
  6. Oct 23, 2012
    Not even close to being worth your money. First of all if you're buying this for PC.. DON'T. Get the original, don't ruin the experience by playing this version, please.

They have brightened it up to the point that it ruins the atmosphere at points. The textures and models actually look terrible because they've been dulled down for consoles. The game looks terrible but runs perfect.

Just buy the original, Doom 1 and 2 buy separately next time there's an id sale. I couldn't make my way through this again, even being a big fan of Doom 3 and I really can't see the justification of spending 30 euro on it.

It gets 3 points for the Lost Missions and that's it. Everything else is a subpar product that has been ruined by Id's boner for consoles.

I got as far as the Alpha Labs and just couldn't go on butchering the good memories I had of scaring myself **** with Doom 3.

Even the Doom 1 and 2 emulators are terrible, with a minimal of options in them.

On that note, let me be clear ; THERE ARE NO GRAPHIC ADJUSTMENT OPTIONS WHATSOEVER

I repeat, if you have played Doom 3 before on PC.. do not buy this unless you are comfortable spending 30 euro on 10 mod level quality extra missions. Really I wouldn't bother, it's the most justified pirate ever

All I wanted out of this was high res textures with a bit of nifty motion blur, instead I got a botched Doom 3 with almost blocky graphics and textures. It really is actually WORSE than the original.

I will be playing the Lost Missions, but honestly I'm not that arsed seeing how badly they have butchered the experience

Not worth your 30 bones

RIP Id Software
  7. Oct 17, 2012
    Used to be, when I heard a game was being remade, I would squeal with excitement. Now I just shake my head sadly and curl up in a corner. Doom 3 was no different. I'll be blunt: It's my opinion that Doom 3 was not the spectacular Icon of the golden age of PC gaming that everyone made it out to be. It had a metric ton of problems and balance issues that never seemed to be fixed. I expectedUsed to be, when I heard a game was being remade, I would squeal with excitement. Now I just shake my head sadly and curl up in a corner. Doom 3 was no different. I'll be blunt: It's my opinion that Doom 3 was not the spectacular Icon of the golden age of PC gaming that everyone made it out to be. It had a metric ton of problems and balance issues that never seemed to be fixed. I expected the remake - or remaster, which I guess is the more appropriate term - to fix some of these issues. They do not.

There were some small changes to the game, but they were the kind that tailored to the mainstream market and detracted from the original Doom 3 experience. Ammo is more plentiful, and instead of having to switch out your gun for a flashlight, you're now equipped with a flahslight on your shoulder, that can't run for more than 10 seconds without needing to recharge, which takes about a second, resulting in you stopping to turn the light back on - something I found to be even less convenient than swapping out a weapon. At least that had a gameplay mechanic to it; this was just annoying.

The "remaster" also increased resolutions to allow widescreen and higher resolution, and updated the graphics from August 2004 to to the cutting edge graphics of February 2005. Everything is else the exact same game. Same characters, same cheap enemy spawns, same locker codes. The shotgun is still useless at a range longer than four inches, if that. It's still ridiculously impossible to fight back when taking damage. Damage values of weapons are inconsistent; an enemy may die in a single headshot, or tank an entire magazine of AR rounds to the skull. Enemies still spawn behind you in previously-empty dead ends, with no indication of their presence until you begin rocking back n forth like you're in a Weeble commercial, and your health suddenly drops to half. The enemy AI is still horrid, especially if they're using ranged weapons. And there's no subtitles, so when your douchebag commander decides to contact you for anything, you won't hear what he's saying over the loud machinery, gunfire,and shrieking noises of enemies you're trying to kill, and the mix of noise will ravage your ears the way the UPS man ravaged your mother when you were five and Daddy was on a business trip.

This isn't a hard game, or a challenging game. This is a cheap game, in gameplay and value.
  8. Jun 8, 2015
    Overall it's a good package. I'd really really want to recommend this to people but numerous small issues just bring quality of the release down. The core problem here is that they've standardised majority of the things and all the changes they've made, they've them with HDTVs and game consoles in mind. That causes issues in the Windows-PC release of the game.

I'd recommend this package

I'd recommend this package for people who have never played all the Doom games. The rest are probably better off with the 1993, 1994 and 2004 releases of the games in the package. I mean, they censored Doom 2 for example. Who in the right mind would do that?

Not to mention that they've not fixed any of the major bugs in the Doom 3's BFG version compared to the original 2004 release. There's just zero reasons to own the BFG version instead of the original.

Cost for the package seem ok. For 30€ player gets about 50~60 hours of single-player fun. That's pretty good. Additionally there's some extra single-player content too. Doom 2's "No Rest for the Living" is a good fun experience. And "The Lost Mission" for Doom 3 is ok even if it recycles lots of content from the main game.
  9. May 12, 2014
    It's a really sad remake of Doom 3, Painkiller did a much better job with their Hell&Damnation edition

Doom I and Doom II, bad emulator, no multiplayer/lan-network

Lost mission is cool, but nothing new and easy done
  10. Oct 18, 2012
    This is temporary review to warnt everyone: if you have DOOM 3 or played it DONT BUY BFG EDITION, because its A BROKEN DOWNGRADE, it have worse graphics, worse sounds, worse models, worse menues an UI, and even worse atmoshere and gameplay! They managed to dumb down doom for consoles, brake its fine graphics and rest of things and turn it into yeat another RAGE! This game dont even haveThis is temporary review to warnt everyone: if you have DOOM 3 or played it DONT BUY BFG EDITION, because its A BROKEN DOWNGRADE, it have worse graphics, worse sounds, worse models, worse menues an UI, and even worse atmoshere and gameplay! They managed to dumb down doom for consoles, brake its fine graphics and rest of things and turn it into yeat another RAGE! This game dont even have support for mod and graphic settings! Textures and lighting became worse, no flashligtht shadows, many light sources and decals with blood and signs was removed, self shadowing turned off, console locked, most of CFG cvars ignored or overridden by game. Once finest PC game was ported to consoles and then ported to PC from consoles to became POOR PC port!
    I really loved original DOOM and gave it 9 of 10, but my score here and now is not for DOOM 3 itself, but for "remaster" "re-release" and this release is 0 of 10 (ok if ill add real doom 3 score it would be 8 of 10 because its still old good doom but a screwed up one, but as i said im giving as score to quallity of re-release not to game itself) because its add nothing good except for gamepad and proper widescreen support, but its removes a lot.

Dont buy this release untill Bethesda and ID will release PC patch that will return everything they cut intto rigth place, will turn on everything they turned off, will restore every feature of original, inluding support for modding and sergeant kely proper face and all the graphic and gameplay settings of original.
    Once and if they will release major update that will unscrew everything they screwed and once it will add even better high res textures as excuse and as part of promised "remastering" and "improvement" you can buy it with discount, because its still doesnt cost 30$ for a re-release. 15$ is biggest price for such a cheap port of game everyone already own and to be honnest this should be offered as free patch to original game (only if they will unscrew it 1st, without fixes it would be a downgrade patch), just like enhanced editions of The Witcher.
  11. May 13, 2014
    I had been hopeful, but the BFG edition is tiring, repetitive, missing the finesse of newer titles and the charm of the originals. And if you're running Windows 8, it's a crashfest. Not recommended. It gets 4 for having (average) ports of the original games.
  12. May 5, 2016
    3/10 A joke, boring downgraded version of DOOM 3. A port of a port. PC->Console->PC.
    (Original DOOM3 and ROE were 9/10, -1 for the annoying zsecs and their instakill hitscan mechanics.)
    One point for it actually works, One for being DOOM3ish-like. One point for Steam achievements. It was advertised as enhanced, but actually for every plus there are two minuses. Graphic: - The same,
    Graphic:
    - The same, but now you can choose HD in menu. The same thing can be done with the original with some config edititng.
    - Seems not as dark as the original. Acceptable but looses some tension here.
    Sound: Noticed no difference.
    Gamplay (the real rage):
    - Flash lamp is always on. That was annoying in the original, but it added to the tension, now it's lost.
    - Difficulty has been degraded to a level of joke, so console players can play i guess. There are less enemies, and ALL the enemies are FAR FAR easier. The same machine gunned zsec that would kill me in 5sec in the original EASY, could only kill me in about 20sec on normal in BFG. That's embarrassing! All the bosses has been altered not just being weak but many lost a few of their attacks. The biggest scandal was to me the new Arch-vile, those were always boss-like enemies. Couldn't believe how they degraded them to a pityful average foe!
    - Ammo flood. Practically 3x more. All the boxes give double amount and you can even find more clips around. Again the game lost a big chunk of atmosphere here. So much ammo i cannot even think what they thought. Console players cannot be that dumb to use 24 shotgun shells on a basic Imp, as approximately this is the rate the game give ammo. In the original i would never be able to see the shotgun shells maximum amount i could wield (not even close).
    Levels: So now we have DOOM1 and DOOM2 plus a full new campaing sound cool.
    - 1 and 2 are OK, they only downgraded them with censorship.
    - New campaign is ok but a bit boring.
    - Now the big problem, CUT AREAS! Mostly minor spaces but the absolutely coolest part of ROE, the blueish platform with several hellknights and mancubii is vanished as it was too hard for console players(?). That is absolutely unacceptable!
    The only good thing the game gave me to taught me how console oriented FPSs look like, so i can avoid them later no matter how much hype they gather. Boring, no tension at all, easy as hell and ridiculous ammo flood.
  13. Oct 17, 2012
    Doom 3 was a generic mess that wasn't worth purchase in the first place, why would anyone buy it again? Well, you get the older Dooms, but you can easily get those for either dirt cheap, or simply for free. There's some Wolfenstein levels, which are HILARIOUSLY CENSORED TO REMOVE THE NAZI STUFF. I'm aware that the censorship happened when it was released, but that was in certain countries,Doom 3 was a generic mess that wasn't worth purchase in the first place, why would anyone buy it again? Well, you get the older Dooms, but you can easily get those for either dirt cheap, or simply for free. There's some Wolfenstein levels, which are HILARIOUSLY CENSORED TO REMOVE THE NAZI STUFF. I'm aware that the censorship happened when it was released, but that was in certain countries, not including the US. It's hilarious that they decide to censor them here. But anyway. Doom 3 relied on nothing but cheap jump scares, standard gameplay, and the promise of nostalgia. Again, it sucked to begin with. And this remake? What's remade? Things were added, and stereoscopy. That does NOT warrant another release. Zenimax can blow me. Expand
  14. Dec 2, 2012
    What changed? Nothing! It's absolute garbage. Models were not re-made and are still as blocky as they were before, this was a huge thing for me. Back when DooM3 came out sure those models were when our PCs could handle but now they are better, we can handle those really sexy models that can easily be made with today's modeling programs. Sure if you want to market to console players sure doWhat changed? Nothing! It's absolute garbage. Models were not re-made and are still as blocky as they were before, this was a huge thing for me. Back when DooM3 came out sure those models were when our PCs could handle but now they are better, we can handle those really sexy models that can easily be made with today's modeling programs. Sure if you want to market to console players sure do that but don't leave the PC players in the dark and give them something they don't want.

Moving on from the models which are the most obvious thing that ID didn't change at all. Textures are hard to get right, most of the time users end up installing mods with over the top HD textures because the 'High Quality' textures added by the games original developer are sub-par at best and DooM3 BFG is no different. What you end up with is with a completely undefined set of textures where you can barely read the 'UAC' logos printed on everything. This to me is the biggest downfall of the 'remastered' DooM3 game as textures define a games graphics in my eyes. Moving ahead now I'll visit the included DooM and DooM2. These games are always going to be good, but what annoyed me was the complete lack of effort that ID put into making these games born again... They are the same and have not even been ported to a decent engine. To be completely frank I don't think ID realizes that with old games like these nobody thinks they should be making money off them and just about everyone is going to just download the .wad files directly.

Overall this re-release fails as a re-release and feels like more of an add-on pack with the new content (which I can't properly review because I just couldn't sit through it).

Giving this 1/10 due to the total lack of effort on IDs part.
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    The same game, but graphics here looks WORSE than in game from 2004. Consoles power, yeah. Who need it on Personal Computers? With graphics-mod the classic Doom 3 looks much better.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 30, 2012
    Doom 3 still works as a linear shooter but its new release is charmless. Try it if you weren't able to play it during its original release or if you are a devoted collector. Otherwise you can skip it easily. [Dec 2012]
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    Doom 3: BFG Edition is a somewhat odd release that actually makes the classic game worse. The lack of graphic options and forced flashlight mode among other things makes this a very lazy and lacking remake that's hard to recommend to anyone.
  3. Nov 9, 2012
    What is the point of this "improved" edition if it looks much worse than the original DOOM 3 with the fan-made Sikkmod installed?