Doom II PC

8.9

1. RichieB.
    Oct 24, 2004
    Very disappointed in the game. I don't see how people can rate this a 10. Graphics and audio are awesome but didn't get pulled into the game. Waiting for Half Life 2.
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    Ahh... DOOM. Nothing more satisfying than blowing demons to gibby bits. I really loved the first installment and people apparently loved it too. So it's a no-brainer to Id what to make next...
    DOOM II is in many ways an improvement from DOOM but in other ways inferior. The things that DII does right: many new enemy types from the slightly annoying revenants to the terrifying arch-vile. one new weapon, the Super-shotgun. Although a nice addition, I always wished that Id made more weapons like a grenade launcher to fire around corners or something.
    The biggest "improvement" is the new levels. A total of 32 new maps to traverse. That's a LOT. Now notice I put improvement in quotes, because that is the flaw of DII: the level disign. It feels like the developers didn't know how they were gonna fill 32 slots, so made up the levels as they went along. Now don't get me wrong, there are some great levels, but alot of them are quite forgetful.
    The music is as always great and the sound effects are perfectly cheesy. This IS a fantastic game, but It's just not as COSISTANT as Ultimate DOOM. the bigger you make a game, the more thin the game gets. In UD every level is identifiable at least to me. I'm not getting the same feeling from DII.
    But for the sake of argument, I say both UD & DII are equal. If you like DOOM, play it and love it. if you like FPS in general, play this only if you like DOOM.

1. A dark, disturbing game. And while it may not bring anything new to the genre, it can create obsession-level loyalty if you tend not to look beyond the barrel of a gun.
  2. In addition to multiple difficulty settings and configurable graphics and controls, DOOM II features online support. You can challenge opponents via modem, LAN or a supported IPX protocol to a brutal, no holds barred deathmatch competition.
  3. PC Gamer
    Go ahead and buy Doom II - if you think you can take the heat. [Dec 1994, p.134]