6.4

1. Aug 28, 2013
    Lets begging with the fact that the game is amazing. Real gamers will love it, its a challenge and never-ended tactics moba. That say, lets talk about Bad things:

1. Matchmaking: Im a graphic designer, web developer and i know that coding is rly dificult, every fix bring 2 bugs. Match making is based on experience, records, roles, etc of a player, but some players as me, keep geting horrible teammates with bad behaviour, quiters, "reporters" (troll that report u for nothing), noobs, and first time players. making me lose, and getting a bad record, that send me more players like those... this must change.

2. Server Locations & Filters: US, EU, LA, everywhere we get russians, (we all agree that rusians trolls can be rly insane), if i want russians i would pick RU server, why i keep getting them? dunno...

Dota should have an auto critic bar, where i say witch my level is, so he can do a better job matchmaking. If the player is right about the level, then the bar stay still, if dont, it goes down.

3. Reports: i know this have perma fixes and changes everyday, but we are not ok with the way it works atm. Actually u can be a pro and be banned by trolls whom report you. That its insane, there should be certain of restrictions on who, how, and when u report players with better record than you.

Las and more important...

4. THE INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT How do teams participate? rules? request? where to sign? Steam/Valve is very noob there, this game requires more tournaments, and more important, Regional Tournaments (Like Soccer world cup, but less corrupted). SEA Tournaments, South America Tournaments, Central America Tournaments... This is crucial in order to get a better community and better gamers. Players needs it, The game Needs it, Valve MUST do it, and Players must demand it.

... And let the battle Begin's!.
  2. Sep 8, 2013
    An extremely deep and complex game with a steep learning curve. Compared to League of Legends, which is an easy game to pick up and understand (I am 2000+ hours in LoL), this game is pretty tough to learn straight from the start.

If you can get over the steep learning curve (the only reason I am giving it a 9 and not a 10), you will find a really wonderful game. Graphics: Top Notch

Graphics: Top Notch

Characters (Variety, design, voice acting): Top Notch

Items (Build possibilities): Top Notch

User Interface: Top Notch (really extremely well made)

Spectating (Tournaments, friends): Top Notch (A real delight to be able to buy a ticket for a tournament and watch it in the game engine, pick your own commentators, who's camera you want to follow etc)

Words can't describe the genious of it all. Also, all characters are unlocked from the beginning. All you need to buy is cosmetics for your favourite champs.
  3. Sep 21, 2013
    This game get's old really fast. The objectives are linear and boring. When I play a strategy game I usually favorite skirmishes, this game has skirmishes[kind of], but I wouldn't recommend anyone to play them. The A.I. is stupid and does not support the major areas that get attacked. Also, half of the team goes to one corner of the map, while the other goes to the other corner. Yeah,This game get's old really fast. The objectives are linear and boring. When I play a strategy game I usually favorite skirmishes, this game has skirmishes[kind of], but I wouldn't recommend anyone to play them. The A.I. is stupid and does not support the major areas that get attacked. Also, half of the team goes to one corner of the map, while the other goes to the other corner. Yeah, not much to play in here. Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2013
    The 5 is more for the community rather than the game itself. Played 6 online matches of LH, all of them had:

1) Someone spamming Drow Ranger 2) At least one guy way too high on testosterone and usually quit midgame 3) people telling me how to play, sputtering utter madness at me when I apparently buy something useless 4) Using terms I've never heard of in a noob-training mode, like

1) Someone spamming Drow Ranger
    2) At least one guy way too high on testosterone and usually quit midgame
    4) Using terms I've never heard of in a noob-training mode, like denying, rushing, jungling,

I really, really tried to get in the game, but it was about as newbie friendly as Dark Souls.
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    What about this game is that this game is the symbol of an era, of the specific decade among gaming history. DotA 1 was only a map, and when War3 gets too old there's concerns about this game that people may give it up some time in the future, and the glory of DotA will be finally forgotten. However, after Valve's taken their hands on it, they have renewed the masterpiece, and taken it toWhat about this game is that this game is the symbol of an era, of the specific decade among gaming history. DotA 1 was only a map, and when War3 gets too old there's concerns about this game that people may give it up some time in the future, and the glory of DotA will be finally forgotten. However, after Valve's taken their hands on it, they have renewed the masterpiece, and taken it to a new level. They have kept every single thing that's original in DotA1, every single tree, every skill, every hero, finest details, so that when old players get to play DotA2, they find it all new but all familiar. They know where they could hide in the forests, they know where the wards could be placed, etc. etc. Heroes change their posture upon injured, and if you are hit by the QOP's dagger you could see a dagger stuck on the hero's butt. Details like that could cost me days talking about! If the only thing they haven't restored, it's got to be the hero models, which are actually impossible to restore because of the copy rights.

DotA's mechanism, no offence, is very complex to every single new player, and is very hard to master. It doesn't matter how clever you are, but you are certainly almost 100% gonna play like a fool in the first few games. My suggestion is that you play the tutorial, which is the easiest way to learn the game fast. The matchmaking system means you are not likely to be playing against someone who has won 100 times in the first few games in your life (although they could be someone who has already mastered DotA1), so do not take it too seriously. The system allows you to ban all the massages from other players, and if there is someone offending you, he could always be reported. I admit that the community is a bit like chaos right now, because of the sudden increment of players. New players only searching for fun won't be adoring this game even after months, because DotA is no fun if you don't know the rules and tricks. I say those because there are certain large amount of players who know nothing about the game itself, but only cursing and offending other players. Why do I value this community? Because DotA is a community-based game. Every game is 5v5, so that people will hear each other, and know each other. It's not like Battlefield 3 in which there are 32 people in a team and you have no idea who is the rookie. If the DotA community sucks, then the gaming experience sucks, then everything sucks. It is just this simple.

Like every other game. DotA is not for everyone. Its most reasonable price means it could be played by everyone, but it's just a game and have its own fan base. If you don't like it, you can delete the game and play what you like for losing absolutely nothing. But if you liked it, I guarantee this is still the best choice for you.
  6. Oct 29, 2013
    I'm not good at these type of games, but I know people who love these type of games will worship this game. I don't see anything wrong with this, it's how a game should be.
  7. Nov 8, 2013
    Diretide was given and so valve deserves to have their score back! Diretide was given and so valve deserves to have their score back! Diretide was given and so valve deserves to have their score back! Diretide was given and so valve deserves to have their score back! Diretide was given and so valve deserves to have their score back!
  8. Nov 2, 2013
    This is one of the most boring games I've ever played! MOBA games in general are only for brainless drones. Valve really dropped the ball with this one.
  9. Nov 8, 2013
    Great game, the community really feels great to be a part of even if some of them are with ti3 bringing everyone together I met so many great people and have been enjoying the game so much more since then, it's a great moba, unforgiving, but fun and interesting, no one's going to hold your hand but the amount of things that can happen in a game and the amount of variation to games justGreat game, the community really feels great to be a part of even if some of them are with ti3 bringing everyone together I met so many great people and have been enjoying the game so much more since then, it's a great moba, unforgiving, but fun and interesting, no one's going to hold your hand but the amount of things that can happen in a game and the amount of variation to games just makes it so unpredictable and fun at times, it's honestly the only steam game I've logged over 500 hours on and I intend on logging many more. Expand
  10. Nov 16, 2013
    Unquestionably the best MOBA on the market, primarily due to the unique character design and top-notch voice acting for each hero. This is honestly the main thing that draws a lot of people back. It's something LoL never quite managed. Unforgiving, but very fun, give it a try, but don't expect the game to spoon feed you. You get back what you put in outside of the game, (watchingUnquestionably the best MOBA on the market, primarily due to the unique character design and top-notch voice acting for each hero. This is honestly the main thing that draws a lot of people back. It's something LoL never quite managed. Unforgiving, but very fun, give it a try, but don't expect the game to spoon feed you. You get back what you put in outside of the game, (watching tutorials, pro play, hints/tips, hero videos). Expand
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    A mediocre attempt to cash-in on the success of DotA: All-stars that thrilled the masses. Not only did they fail to improve on the mechanics of the original but they failed to stay true to the original where it counted. Style and mechanics. The issue is that the development team lacked both Eul and Guinsoo, with only Icefrog there is little they can do. The interface is hard-to-read, theA mediocre attempt to cash-in on the success of DotA: All-stars that thrilled the masses. Not only did they fail to improve on the mechanics of the original but they failed to stay true to the original where it counted. Style and mechanics. The issue is that the development team lacked both Eul and Guinsoo, with only Icefrog there is little they can do. The interface is hard-to-read, the graphics blend together to create a kind of blurry mess, many mechanics were ripped out and placed into a "classic-mode" and many new items and mechanic changes have ruined the game for those of us who enjoyed the original. Fan boys rave about how "balanced" it is but it's no more balanced than any other MOBA.

Not a BAD game by any rate. Just not a DotA game.
  12. Dec 3, 2013
    9.5/10 gameplay wise, however it is the third point in this review that really kills the game and the reason I have stopped playing

5/10 for hero release rate (really how is there no techies or terrorblade yet after this long) 2/10 For region unlocked servers, in a game that REQUIRES communication at the higher levels of play to be successful, dota has failed at delivering that team

2/10 For region unlocked servers, in a game that REQUIRES communication at the higher levels of play to be successful, dota has failed at delivering that team play experience for any solo queue gaming (or even in my case, queuing with 2 other friends on average). People joining from other regions have latency problems and real communication problems that negatively affects the gameplay experience.
  13. Dec 8, 2013
    REMOVE MUTE SYSTEM VALVE !
    this game is great itself. But mute system is UNFAIR, since you dont need to have reason or not to make someone being muted impossible to chat with your teammates about strategies.... This is just RUINING the game. This system only exists on dota2, and Valve would never put such system in TF2 or any other of their game. REMOVE MUTE SYSTEM
  14. Jan 22, 2014
    You will kinda like the game but you will hate the players, and most of your games will suck.

Dota is a complex game, but it's painfully lacking features such game must have or they are terribly executed.

Icefrogs dota 9
    Lacking features -3
    Players i am forced to play with -3
  15. Mar 20, 2014
    Valve gave great tutorial about this game and the gaming system is great. With MMR system, you can hone your skill in playing such game. Also this game offer many cosmetics, though some are overpriced in my opinion. This game is addictive.
  16. Jul 8, 2014
    MOBA is a terrible genre name, but that being said, this is easily the best of the genre. The most balanced by far with the highest skill ceiling.

Aside from the gameplay, Valve does a great job keeping it updated and working, it has one of the best clients i've seen in a multiplayer video game in a while
  17. Sep 30, 2014
    To explayin my opinion about why this game have a lot of 10 and 0...
    First is FREE for real, you can pay or play only to estetic rewards that have not gameplay impact.
    probably many Zero are from players that love the competitors.. Now, the game is a Strategy game, and very deep so is not a game for all! And more important is not a COD, here if you don't play with the team..you
    To explayin my opinion about why this game have a lot of 10 and 0...
    probably many Zero are from players that love the competitors..

Now, the game is a Strategy game, and very deep so is not a game for all!
    And more important is not a COD, here if you don't play with the team..you loose.
    The map is only one because the game follow a simple rule... destroy the enemy base.

108 fantastic different unlock character at your disposition.

if you don't know the rule..if you don't try to know one hero at time..if you don't speek english, if you don't follow or play whit your team YOU CAN'T ENJOI THIS GAME.

The best to play ifact is 5 friends (5 is the team) but if you play not well but triing to do ..you'll find a lot of friends.
  18. Jan 31, 2015
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ VOLVO REWORK REPORT SYSTEM ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ VOLVO REWORK REPORT SYSTEM ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
  19. Apr 26, 2015
    e-Sports can't be rated. It's competitive so it shouldn't be compared to traditional games or what we expect from a video-game. Therefore it shouldn't be rated, you don't set a score for traditional sports like football or basketball too so why should you rate e-Sports titles like this one? This game was never meant to be a single player game or beginner friendly. You may love it or hatee-Sports can't be rated. It's competitive so it shouldn't be compared to traditional games or what we expect from a video-game. Therefore it shouldn't be rated, you don't set a score for traditional sports like football or basketball too so why should you rate e-Sports titles like this one? This game was never meant to be a single player game or beginner friendly. You may love it or hate it. You either put in hard work, get better, have fun and love the game or fail, flame, lose and hate the game forever. Very similar to Sports isn't it? Expand
  20. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is amazing. It's balanced, free, and very fun to play. There is a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get past that there's really not much to complain about the game.
  21. Jul 17, 2013
    Literally the best multiplayer online experience you can have. This free-to-play game will provide you hundreds and possibly thousands of hours of pure multiplayer bliss. Dota is a very complex game with an enormous learning curve, and you will need to dedicate your time and your attention to this game if you want to be good at it. Thankfully Valve has made really neat tutorial levels thatLiterally the best multiplayer online experience you can have. This free-to-play game will provide you hundreds and possibly thousands of hours of pure multiplayer bliss. Dota is a very complex game with an enormous learning curve, and you will need to dedicate your time and your attention to this game if you want to be good at it. Thankfully Valve has made really neat tutorial levels that will introduce you to the game. There are also dozens of guides online that will help you.

The goal of the game is simple: destroy the enemy's main building: the Ancient. There are two sides competing. The Dire and The Radiant. Each side contains five players. Upon entering a matchmade game you will be placed on the either side. After that you will pick prompted to pick your hero, amongst a selection of literally 100+. You will then buy your starting items and head down the lane (called "mid, "bottom" or "top") that you choose. You will then look to kill enemy "creeps", which are AI-controled monsters that periodically spawn from the base and head down each lane, and enemy heroes. Gradually you should look to destroy enemies' towers, after you have become more powerful. After you have destroyed the enemies' towers and their barracks, their Ancient will be exposed to attacks and you will be a able to destroy it.

Dota contains almost limtless amount of ways you can play. The heroes, the roles they fill, the items, they are all so different, you are guaranteed to not get bored. From heroes that support their team like Crystal Maiden, to heroes who "carry" their team like Phantom Lancer, across assassins like Bounty Hunter, "pushers" like Nature's Prophet Dota will provide you a different experience every single match you play.

As a free to play title it contains absolutely no ways for paying customers to have advantage over non-paying ones. All heroes will be available to you when you start playing. There are simply no buy-to-win elements in the game. What paying customers buy is cosmetic items, whose purpose is just to look pretty. This means you can choose from a collection of different sets of items to customize the way your favorite hero looks, and you can also buy different looks for your HUD and different voices for your annoucner. Did I mention this cosmetic items are available without paying money too? When you play a match of Dota, you are awarded experience and when you have enough experience you will level up, and as your reward you will get a cosmetic item. You can also trade your cosmetic items with other players, in case they have something you like.

The amount of detail Valve has put in this game is astounishing. Every hero has their own theme, their story. The heroes are funny and always have an interesting line to say. Every hero has their own unique character. There are even rival heroes for example Lina and Crystal Maiden, two twin sisters, one who specializes in fire and other in ice. If they are playing against one another or are in the same team, they will say different lines to each other. Another example is Zeus who is a literal God, and will constantly make fun out the puny mortals he is pittied against. Anti-Mage, little to no surprise, has a quest to destroy all magic and will constistantly loathe magic users throught the game.

Games are unpredictable. One team may be in the lead one moment, and then lose their advantage the next moment. This game punishes you harshly for making mistakes and rewards you greatly for making the right decision. Teamwork is the key to victory. You will need to communicate with your team and make plans together if you want to win.

The communtiy of this game is not the best, but it is to be expected of a free-to-play game available to everyone. You WILL run across players who will be angry at you one way or the other, and will maybe throw harsh words your way. My advice is just to report them (open up the scoreboard, click then name and then report) and move on. As you gain in skill you will gain in your victories, and when you gain victories you will be put to play against better people. The higher you go in MMR (which is the system game uses to determine your skill) the nicer people will become.

You should definately this game a try, after all it is free to do so. But trust me, you will get hooked on this game and it will certianly take away a large portion of your time.
  22. Jul 18, 2013
    Valve put a tonne of thought and process into this game for a long time and to me it has payed good dividends in the long run the game was released how it should have been slow and gradually unlike many other games that are sometimes rushed out to the public to fast. I've put around 30-40 hours of gameplay along with many tutorial videos there is so much to learn, find and discover fromValve put a tonne of thought and process into this game for a long time and to me it has payed good dividends in the long run the game was released how it should have been slow and gradually unlike many other games that are sometimes rushed out to the public to fast. I've put around 30-40 hours of gameplay along with many tutorial videos there is so much to learn, find and discover from the characters within the game it seems endless at this stage which is all for the better. Dota 2 is how a free to play game differentiates from all the other free to play games because it brings the community together more easily doesn't force item purchases or special content to certain players. Dota 2 will only get better from here to study characters and abilities correctly is hard enough and rewarding. This game gets a 9.2 from me with my nostril hairs seal of approval. Expand
  23. Jul 21, 2013
    This was the game that League of Legends copied.
    to me it satisfies my hunger for really great PVP orientated RPG Fantasy type games... taht dont' suck up all your life like World of Warcraft Arathi Basin etc etc.

i have to admit i played this game since it was called Aeon of Strife... so i guess i dont' have to worry about the learning curve.
  24. Jul 22, 2013
    Being one of the high esteemed long time players of the DotA style RTS, i can safely say this is the best of the best. The players in EVERY type of game like this has a community base full of people with rage, it's just the way it plays out. the reason this game topples every other game like it is by having such a high production value, there are no new overpowered characters you have toBeing one of the high esteemed long time players of the DotA style RTS, i can safely say this is the best of the best. The players in EVERY type of game like this has a community base full of people with rage, it's just the way it plays out. the reason this game topples every other game like it is by having such a high production value, there are no new overpowered characters you have to buy, it's all there for you. there's no pay to win at all, the only reason you would pay for anything in the game is to support the developers or the professional gamers who play it. Expand
  25. Jul 24, 2013
    Best MOBA Game on the market. It got a good fullfilling ecosystem, every game-mechanic is free and it works on Linux, OSX and Windows. Very interesting heros and mechanics, nice graphics, nearly no bugs, big communitiy which brings new content. Personally I would like to have a vote-surrender system like in LoL, but I see that this is not the philosophy of DOTA2 and i totally accept it.
  26. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is interesting and is nice for playing with friends. On the other hand, learning curve is hard and the community is full of very rude players. Prepare to be insulted during the first 5 weeks at least.

Also, games take usually 45 minutes, which is quite long and boring...
  27. Jul 26, 2013
    A superb game. My first experience with a Moba game was LoL, and this is most certainly a better game. The community can be very vocal about their distaste towards a players actions, but in my experience it was no worse than what players in LoL are like, and it is fairly simple to ignore the chat in the game so it is never much of a problem. The graphics are well done for the most part,A superb game. My first experience with a Moba game was LoL, and this is most certainly a better game. The community can be very vocal about their distaste towards a players actions, but in my experience it was no worse than what players in LoL are like, and it is fairly simple to ignore the chat in the game so it is never much of a problem. The graphics are well done for the most part, and the free to play model for the game is outstanding. The amount of experimentation and strategy in the game can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it makes the game better once you get used to it. After playing this since the beginning of beta, i can no longer imagine going back to LoL or any other Moba. Expand
  28. Jul 31, 2013
    Best tool for delightful "tvou mamku ebal" ever created. Unparalleled nerdrage and butthurt inducting options. Also packed with tons of hats and donation options for those who like their hats new and shiny, and don't care that much for an action itself!

10/10 would bang again!
  29. Aug 2, 2013
    The game is good in general, but it has some quite major flaws, which kill all the fun about it.

First major problem is a conceptual one below-average dynamics resulted from RTS-style control, that is in fact not suitable at all for action games, which Dota is supposed to be. This game hasn't got a single reason to have RTS control, there are just a few heroes who have summons so you may need RTS conrol in it. This game originally as Dota on Wc3 engine was born for Wc3 fans as a custom map, just to have fun in between common games. It definitely doesn't deserve a standalone game and especially as a competitive one. Just because its idea doesn't fit its technical implementation. There're dozens of creeps running around, but you still control only one hero and a courier for your items. That's not a game for RTS control.

This problem results in low dynamics, there's no intensity in any "action" in the game apart from teamfights (which occupy no more than 10% of game time) and occasionally laning (early phase of the game when you're supposed mostly to kill creeps and force your enemies back). The majority of time is a "positional war" with 1-2 heroes in a team farming creeps to get items and eventually to carry the game. Rare tactics (which are hardly seen on a competitive scene) can include fast-push (taking down towers and rushing for enemy base from the first minutes) or very massive gangs (killing enemy heroes) to suspend enemy development. They are not effective and there's nothing done by developers to improve the situation, just not to break a fragile close-to-balance state.

The second major problem of this game is it being unbalanced. There are almost always a few (~10 out of 100+) heroes in the game that are holding the trend. You may see them is 80% of the games. And there are about 30% of heroes that are almost never picked. In some patches you may even have one hero that may alone carry the whole game even if player puts no effort in playing, unless enemies have a strong counter-pick and act almost flawlessly to negate a single hero's power. And that's after about 8 years (since IceFrog took the game and made it "serious") of constant development and balance improvements. Due to its 'overcomplexity' any patches applied to the game can change the situation only in terms of which heroes exactly are most picked/most winning but not the rates, but there are still 60% winning rate for some heroes and 40% for others.

Third problem (a lesser one) is non-friendliness for newcomers. It's difficult not only to master the game, but also just to get a motion in a right direction. And no guides can actually help you. Your performance while you are a newcomer is determined by whether you have an experienced friend in a voice chat who will constantly explain you every single detail of any action you are going to take, should it be picking a hero, leveling skills, getting items or acting in fights. You can forget about learning how to play this game even as a below average player before you put about 1000 hours in it, unless (as stated before) you have a trainer (a really skilled trainer) who's going to teach you any time you play.

Also, the game is overestimated as a competitive one. Most professional gamers you can see on a top-scene were playing it for at least 4 years. The majority were playing it since early Dota1 for more than 6 years.

The fourth problem is its community, which is (and always was for some reason I can't explain) extremely unfriendly and aggressive. This adds negative experience equally for newcomers and for veteran players. Assuming that even after almost two years of beta-testing there's still no adequate matchmaking system (it's not developers' fault by the way, the "skill" in this game is too vague to determine it even manually, what can we say about automated system) it results in a big gap in skill among players that are matched in the same game which itself results in players constantly insulting each other based on their performance.
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    I've been playing DotA since Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos in 2003 and played through dota-league, several in-house leagues etc., and I've got to say that DotA 2 brings the best aspects of the genre alive. I've played Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, Smite and several other MOBA games and I love all of them, but somehow DotA 2 just keeps me pulling back in. Very, very well made andI've been playing DotA since Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos in 2003 and played through dota-league, several in-house leagues etc., and I've got to say that DotA 2 brings the best aspects of the genre alive. I've played Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, Smite and several other MOBA games and I love all of them, but somehow DotA 2 just keeps me pulling back in. Very, very well made and with Icefrog's lead, it's going to keep us entertained for years to come. Expand
  31. Aug 21, 2013
    I can see why people enjoy it, but its not without its flaws. For a start, the learning curve is pretty aggressive, and sadly when you play, prepare to be matched up with really good players who will stomp you to death. More needs to be done in order to ease new players in. LoL is of course its direct competition, and I would say LoL does a better job at handling new players. At a higherI can see why people enjoy it, but its not without its flaws. For a start, the learning curve is pretty aggressive, and sadly when you play, prepare to be matched up with really good players who will stomp you to death. More needs to be done in order to ease new players in. LoL is of course its direct competition, and I would say LoL does a better job at handling new players. At a higher level I have no idea as I was bored of the game pretty quickly. If your not into MOBA I guess this will not change your mind. Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    A very competitive game, and a very tactical one is the only way i can describe this game. And to me that is a good thing. Above all else, it feels great to win a game against a good team.
  33. Sep 12, 2013
    The game is quite fun for a few games every 100 games played, the problem is the matchmaking is terrible.
    Playing with people who don't speak your language and have 450 pings makes for a bad game.
    The game needs a ladder or some form of progression, the games feels shallow unless you're in a pro team, then it has lots of support. dota often has 7x less spectators than league of legends
    dota often has 7x less spectators than league of legends that says a lot.
    most people in dota have 4-5 accounts for trading and queue skipping, this makes the game look bigger than it is. Theirs only 10% of people logged in who are actually playing in game, most idle in chat or trading.
    The best thing about dota is the graphics are great so i do hope dota wins but they need to support the casual community.
  34. Oct 16, 2013
    For the 7 hours I played it, I really enjoyed it. It is very well balanced, meaning that a very casual gamer like me still has a chance against a die hard PVP fan, which is always the first thing I search for in a game.
    I also like the 4on4 aspect of the game-not too much, not too little, just enough for 1 person in each lane and a "hunter" as I call it.
    Would easily recommend, as I have
    Would easily recommend, as I have done previously.
  35. Nov 9, 2013
    volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband volvo reband
  36. Nov 2, 2013
    No bugfixes, only hats Naix and Weaver still too much overpowered. No communication, only hats. Game abandoned its safe to leave. GG Volvo, now you can have vacation even longer.
  37. Nov 2, 2013
    It is not the communities fault, it is the match makings fault that puts all type of skill levels together and combine that with the force 50% win/loss ratio...you're going to have a bad time.
  38. Nov 2, 2013
    NO Diretide
    NO New Hero
    NO Updates
    NO Normal matchmaking system
  39. Nov 2, 2013
    17 pages of negative rating just because they did not get a diretide this year. Kids huh?
    Simply the best moba out there.
    If you just wanna have fun All Pick, Random, Single Draft
    If you want a bit more competitive gameplay Captains Mode, Captains Draft, Random Draft
  40. Nov 4, 2013
    Fantastic game. Although it's not one of my most played titles, it is a very put together game that can offer a lot of fun. Ignore the negative reviews from users, they represent the underbelly of the DOTA fan base, the childlike players who believe that Valve owes them something. 10/10
  41. Nov 5, 2013
    Give DIRETIDE

A game this big... with this amount of players...
    It's just impossible to not do a Halloween event.
    Every single comparable game does have a Halloween event...
    I just fail to see how it is possible for this to happen.
    Volvo should really fix this problem.
  42. Dec 7, 2013
    Well, you want to know why DoTA best moba game ever?
    I can tell you a few reasons.
    1.tons of heroes to play, unique heroes, not like in league of legends. 2.awsm graphics, i can say best. maybe some1 like HoN, or LoL graphics more, but obviosly what dota 2 graphics is most techologic graphic in moba games. 3.Absolutely f2p, not like other games, i said it again. Even in LoL you need
    Well, you want to know why DoTA best moba game ever?
    I can tell you a few reasons.
    1.tons of heroes to play, unique heroes, not like in league of legends.
    3.Absolutely f2p, not like other games, i said it again.
    Even in LoL you need to buys heroes for IP(you need to play around 10-15 games to open a new character) or real money.
    4. Voice actors this is one of the best voice works in games ever, i love rubick, enigma, puck voices, other awsm too.
    5.Gameplay every game you learning something new, becasue of this this game have endless gameplay.
  43. Nov 6, 2013
    Played the game for about 400 hours and here's my review.

Well,let's start from the pros first - The HUD has improved,you don't have to click on the NPCs to view shop items anymore.There are also suggested items for every hero. - In the old Dota if you were a beginner you could get killed without even noticing,but on the new one when you get hit you got the red effect on the
    Played the game for about 400 hours and here's my review.

Well,let's start from the pros first

- In the old Dota if you were a beginner you could get killed without even noticing,but on the new one when you get hit you got the red effect on the screen,also the hero health bars look different so you can figure out stuff easier.

Cons

- The matchmaking system must be fixed.You can have 1 hour of gameplay and suddenly end up with 2 or 3 pros on the other team which obviously isn't fair.

- Even though you choose to play in european servers there are bunch of Russians (not racist) who don't speak English .Those who do speak English tend to be offensive against everyone and refuse to cooperate.

- Though the buy-able cosmetics do not give any advantage to the player,it's a big problem for other players who just don't care about them and don't want them.That's because they have to download 7gbs of useless models.I'm pretty sure that the game itself isn't even 5gb.

Tip Find some people to play with if you're not patient.Otherwise you'll be wasting your time.
  44. Nov 9, 2013
    Dota 2 is a great game that will give you a great sense of reward and accomplishment if you sink enough time and effort into it. It will do this, not by giving you stars and medals whenever you get something done correctly, but by giving you experience in every match you play that you can then put to use in every subsequent match: DIRECT experience that you will be able to employ on yourDota 2 is a great game that will give you a great sense of reward and accomplishment if you sink enough time and effort into it. It will do this, not by giving you stars and medals whenever you get something done correctly, but by giving you experience in every match you play that you can then put to use in every subsequent match: DIRECT experience that you will be able to employ on your own terms. Calling it a skill-based game is almost something of an understatement. Dota 2 is about "growing up" alongside all the mechanics it provides. There will never be an aspect of the game that you will have truly mastered at 100% and even if you are somehow able to, there will be uncountable other details and lessons you can learn to understand even better. It's learning, it's having fun, it's experimenting, it's getting rewarded for your efforts.

This is a truly immortal game that you'll never sink enough hours into.

Thank you, Valve.
  45. Nov 8, 2013
    We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We haveWe have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide!We have Diretide! Expand
  46. Nov 8, 2013
    This game is the best game on the MOBAS genre, it's really complex but it's worth the time, and I'm saying this as someone with 2400 hrs ingame (without counting wc3 dota, tried other mobas as LoL and HoN, but they are just not the same)
  47. Nov 8, 2013
    Dota 2 is clearly the best MOBA in its league. As a true free-to-play game (unlike League of Legends), Dota 2 rewards dedication with stunning and captivating gameplay and teamwork. Valve continues to be one of the best game-developing companies.
  48. Nov 9, 2013
    The low rating is not deserved. Some children got buttfrustrated that Valve didn't give them an event that has only happened, what, twice before this? It is an amazing action RPG.
  49. Nov 9, 2013
    Just balancing out the score for all the "BOOHOO NO DIRETIDE" wimps. This game is great, sadly some of the people who play it... not so much. The game is certainly worth learning and getting good at, as it never really gets old.
  50. Nov 14, 2013
    I think that over thousand hours of game-play speaks for itself! Just the best of its kind out there! Just a brilliant job all over! Will be enjoying my next thousand hours!
  51. Nov 15, 2013
    Addictive game, ruined by a community of complete Most of them would read my comment thinking I'm a noob, which I'm not so just proves my point.... Very hard to find a pleasant game were there isn't someone abusing someone on either team.
  52. Nov 27, 2013
    The game is too hard and the tutorials doesn't explain 1 tenth of if. It is unnecessary complicated at times. The graphics give me a headache. Really bad game overall
  53. Dec 4, 2013
    One of the most overrated game of all time, it is not really good, a big learning curve, graphics, a stupid item system, and you need to have steam to play it. What a piece of
  54. Dec 5, 2013
    I'll be honest, the game itself isn't particularly bad. Having tried out the original, DOTA2 is somewhat more forgiving to newbies, allowing games against bots to at least practice on.

Graphically, it's not bad and there's a nice selection of heroes which is not too overwhelming like some MOBA games (here's looking at you LoL). Obviously, the major issue with the game is its

Obviously, the major issue with the game is its fan-base, which comes across as a rather spoilt, repugnant brat... If you aren't quite up to their standard of playing, prepare to be barraged with insult upon insult. But these are issues that are pandemic to the genre itself, so doesn't really warrant marking it down, it's to be expected if you've actually made any attempt at checking a game out first...

All this aside, the games do get competitive, but in my opinion, this is the only real thing going for it, the constant thriving to beat the opponent. If you do not connect with the community in some way, then it's not a particularly enjoyable affair.

It's free though, so it's definitely at least worth a look, perhaps you'll love it, or perhaps you'll hate it... But if you haven't put any cash up-front, there's no harm either way.
  55. Dec 10, 2013
    I easily gave this game a 8/10. Dota 2 is an amazement to have. I've played it since the beta and still find people better than me, which provides an ever-lasting challenge. I have yet to spend any money on it, but i do enjoy how it's free to play and the items you can buy doesn't make you any better or worse. Dota 2 is based on skill and teamwork, which is hard to find in games theseI easily gave this game a 8/10. Dota 2 is an amazement to have. I've played it since the beta and still find people better than me, which provides an ever-lasting challenge. I have yet to spend any money on it, but i do enjoy how it's free to play and the items you can buy doesn't make you any better or worse. Dota 2 is based on skill and teamwork, which is hard to find in games these days. I recommend playing it on Steam some time. Expand
  56. Dec 15, 2013
    Dota 2 is definitely a good game although it is not for anyone who is just starting out and definitely I would not recommend it to anyone who is new to the genre. The reason i have given it such a low score is that it is not new player friendly, after playing around 10 games being paired with people with such a wide range of skill levels I feel the matchmaking needs an improvement and evenDota 2 is definitely a good game although it is not for anyone who is just starting out and definitely I would not recommend it to anyone who is new to the genre. The reason i have given it such a low score is that it is not new player friendly, after playing around 10 games being paired with people with such a wide range of skill levels I feel the matchmaking needs an improvement and even though i prefer LoL I understand that a game like DOTA 2 takes time to learn how to play but unfortunately not everyone can tolerate being beaten for the first 5-10 games. Expand
  57. Mar 10, 2015
    no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no nono no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no Expand
  58. Feb 5, 2014
    Dota 2 is strictly competitive MOBA and it is not easy to learn.

Pros: - Dota 2 is absolutely free - There are a lot of tournaments played on this game - Great roster of heroes - Deep item builds and team strategies - High replayability Cons: - Hard to learn - Has TF2 hat virus - New heroes are often promised to get released yet it takes a lot if time to release them. - A
    Dota 2 is strictly competitive MOBA and it is not easy to learn.

Pros:
    - Dota 2 is absolutely free
    - There are a lot of tournaments played on this game
    - Great roster of heroes
    - Deep item builds and team strategies
    - High replayability

Cons:
    - Hard to learn
    - Has TF2 hat virus
    - A lot of ragequitters that ruin the game.

I gave this game 8 our of 10 because this game is not perfect but still a great game nontheless!
  59. Mar 18, 2014
    While Dota 2 is a fundamentally good game, it has its share of issues. The most notable of these is its absolutely horrible community -- possibly one of the worst I've ever encountered. However, it would be wrong to let the players impact the actual game's score. The REAL issue with Dota 2, though, is its overwhelming complexity. There are 112 heroes at the time of writing (107 playable),While Dota 2 is a fundamentally good game, it has its share of issues. The most notable of these is its absolutely horrible community -- possibly one of the worst I've ever encountered. However, it would be wrong to let the players impact the actual game's score. The REAL issue with Dota 2, though, is its overwhelming complexity. There are 112 heroes at the time of writing (107 playable), and each has a minimum of four skills. This means that there are more than 448 skills which you need to memorize the function of just so you won't be at a disadvantage when facing off against someone using them. Then you have to get a grasp of the highly complex mechanics, and various strategies that take a long time to learn. There are also over 100 items in the store, the purchasing of which varies from one hero and situation to the next. Again, Dota 2 is simply too complicated for its own good. I shouldn't have to read a freakin' textbook just to play a game! Expand
  60. Apr 24, 2014
    This game ruined my life! Very addictive and irresistible. Been playing dota for 10 years now and dota 2 just made it more great. The graphics, the art style, pvp matching actions, and more just made it more great . I quit several times but still I keep coming back. There's something in this game that keeps us coming back and get more hyped. I recommend it to every hardcore gamers out there.
  61. Jul 1, 2014
    I'm sure my humble review will never get paid attention to, but I feel like I know the game fairly good being a player starting from 2007 to now. I have seen the lobbies of eurobattle.net, 5.84b crawled with bugs, and played on custom servers for different regions.

All I have to say is Valve has ruined the game ruining the lobby mechanics with a broken matchmaking system, linking players who are completely different by language and region to play a competitive game where every player's mistake is punished heavily by the game mechanics.

Back in the day when people had a set username, you used to carry your reputation around also having a network of players you used to play with from chat channels. This is very important since you can have balanced matches with people in your region or your interest in custom made lobbies that you HAVE TO use in order to play.

The current situation is you end up playing with adolescent kids who can't speak a word of english nor know the game, even in "high" brackets at 4-5k MMR. They can ruin your gaming experience and leave without a punishment, lowering your MMR thus pulling you down to play with players exactly like him.

I can't stand the game I grew up playing is ruined by this so called "community" oriented company who only uses this game to just milk money out of people. They are not interested in making a better game, they are interested in one thing and one thing only, making PROFITS.
  62. Aug 17, 2014
    This game's community is really bad. Every match they have at least 5 Russians and they don't speak English. Plus this game is very addictive that my brother forgot about his real life.
  63. Aug 30, 2014
    Dota 2 is based on team work so don`t complain about the comunity , you play with friends not random players if you want to enjoy the game.The only way the random players matches get beter is if valve do a paid ranked matches system or if the game wasn`t f2p. The main problem of this game is the gameplay balance once a team has 50% more kills the level and the items are to advance so theDota 2 is based on team work so don`t complain about the comunity , you play with friends not random players if you want to enjoy the game.The only way the random players matches get beter is if valve do a paid ranked matches system or if the game wasn`t f2p. The main problem of this game is the gameplay balance once a team has 50% more kills the level and the items are to advance so the only way to win is if they atack 1 by 1 or your team has a numeric advantage for 5 vs 5 they will allways win with 3 players alive so the xp or money system needs balance. Also the money system needs to allow to store the gold in your spawn or send it via courier. As for hero balance there are some overpowered ones and you can lose the game just by picking the wrong hero so that to my is not competitve because you can`t pick a hero in use by other player , the game shoud allow players to pick any hero . The ranking system is very permissive to leavears and often if you play with random players 2-3 are leavears and you are force to play 2 vs 5 or 3 vs 5 , that is not fair and shoud not be scored also the leavers punish by 1 weak to 4 weak bans. Expand
  64. Sep 8, 2014
    Very good game especially with friends. Being one of over 100 heroes is an awesome feeling and it's awesome to play. The only bad think is learning the game, tutorials are good, but you have to figure out some things by yourself.
  65. Feb 2, 2015
    Disappointing community. RU zone? Angry russians. EU zone? Angry russians. NA zone? Angry russians with 1754ms ping. Absolutely awesome. Nothing else.
  66. Jul 14, 2013
    DotA2 is very much a mixed bag. They did a fairly good port regarding graphics, aesthetics and general feeling of DotA1 is in there. The game is wonderful when you get into a good game, with opponents and team mates equal of your skill. However, the game is a horrible experience when you don't. And that's the main problem of DotA2. This game has almost 0 infrastructure to support it, toDotA2 is very much a mixed bag. They did a fairly good port regarding graphics, aesthetics and general feeling of DotA1 is in there. The game is wonderful when you get into a good game, with opponents and team mates equal of your skill. However, the game is a horrible experience when you don't. And that's the main problem of DotA2. This game has almost 0 infrastructure to support it, to get you into those good games.

The most important part, the matchmaking, is utterly horrible and doesn't deliver. Also its is so non-transparent that its impossible to know anything about your game before hand. Valve doesn't seem to care about this which is very problematic. Because without a good drafting the MOBA genre is a horrible experience which degenerates quickly into a flame fest stomp which just sucks.

Also it lacks ranked play and a way to distinguish they players who are out for a casual experience or others that want a competitive approach to DotA. Putting these two types of play styles together always results in a flame fest. Valve has not solved this. And the flame fest is probably what will alienate new players from the game genre. Valve hasn't put in a adequate system to handle this. The report system they have installed is rather used to report bad play than flame fest which, of course, further will alienate new players.

So my conclusion is: Great gameplay when it works but the disastrous matchmaking and drafting severely maims this game. 4/10. Free to play, so try it... but don't expect a great experience.
  67. Jul 15, 2013
    The first time I played Dota 2, The opposing team did not show us any mercy, and I loved every second of it. This game is so addicting and fun, I didnt even care about winning or losing. Great characters, Epic Gameplay TeamWork Wide range of Options and all out fun are all available in Dota 2. A must Have
  68. Jul 16, 2013
    Let me get it out straight away DotA 2 is probably the most fun and satisfaction I got in a multiplayer game.

I'll just list everything great about this game:

the aesthetics are great, the art and the graphics are gorgeous, the competition feel is big. The replay-ability of the game is infinite.

Most importantly it's free, so just install Steam and install it as soon as possible.
  69. Jul 16, 2013
    Very addicting with a steep learning curve, you'll sink many hours into this game. Of course there will be abrasive players in the community, but guess what, there are function in the game to fix it. Mute and report the player(s), and play on. GL HF
  70. FBF
    Jul 16, 2013
    Pros:

- seemingly infinite strategical aspects (!)
    - complex gameplay and mechanics
    - a thriving, international competitive scene
    - free to play
    - never gets boring (Really. I've been playing Dota 2 and it's precursor for 5-6 years now.)

Cons:

- steep learning curve
    - as in every multiplayer game, some people you encounter can be rude
  71. Jul 17, 2013
    The game itself is fantastic and should receive a score of 9/10 or even 10/10. On the other hand, there are several other aspects that are highly detrimental to the overall experience.

- Broken matchmaking system. You can queue a long time (5-10 minutes after a couple of declines/failed loading/game dodging) and you are rewarded a match that is completely imbalanced. Short queue time should mean more balanced matchmaking, but you'd be hard pressed to see the difference. Enjoy the frustration levels go through the roof as you can easily play for several hours without winning a single match. Matchmaking is broken even further because of battalions of smurf accounts and matchmaking system fails to evaluate these accounts properly. After wasting 30-45 minutes of your life in a match that was impossible to win in the first place, don't think it's over yet as you will most likely get fountain camped. And there you are, basically held as a hostage in the game unless you want low priority queue because of abandoning the game.

- There is no ladder nor any skill rating except for high and very high matchmaking pseudo-brackets. Makes sense, because the matchmaking works so poorly.

- The player community is one of the worst out there. In EU servers despite English language selection, you will frequently get players from Eastern Europe and Russia that spam the chat with their own language. Even if there are no language problems prepare to get scapegoated, called names and reported for ridiculous reasons if someone else in your team thinks you did something wrong.

- To combat armies of trolls there is a senseless reporting system with forced mutes and low priority queues. Every player has two reports available every week, and considering quality of the community, you're probably out of reports in a day or two. You get the worst of both worlds, not being able to report enough of the misbehaving players and on the other hand you can reported and punished without a valid reason. There are commendations too, but they don't mean anything.

- Instead of improving the essential game content, Valve rather concentrates on making new hats. Just kidding, they don't even make the cosmetics themselves.
  72. Jul 17, 2013
    Awesome game, if you are new to the genre just practice a lot, its hard at the start just try to reach the point where you enjoy the game even if you lose

PD: if you have emotional disorder, dont play this game
  73. Jul 17, 2013
    Best moba so far, perfect hero balancement, complex mechanics nice graphics and no pay to win, only needs matchmaking improvement.
    This game improved a lot since the first version.
  74. Jul 20, 2013
    Can be a little rough for starters. But, the time you would put into learning from the tutorial system or youtube videos would be well worth it. You can check Purgegamers for gameplays which is what helped me learn this awesome game.
  75. Jul 20, 2013
    Only authentic FREE TO PLAY GAME in the whole Internet. That's pretty awesome. The ONE AND ONLY GAME that's doesn't give any advantage to expenders. Only CON, it's very addictive.
  76. Nov 10, 2013
    Just a fun fact about the rating system, 90% of these negative reviews recently have stemmed from a pile of whiny entitled gamers who had a holiday event cancelled (eventually turned out to just be a delay), so effectively add about 2-3 points to the score, and subtract about 2500 negative reviews (mainly the 0s) from consideration.
  77. Jul 21, 2013
    I like some of the graphics, but other parts are too dark, too murky and make it impossible to see what is going on. Some of the character art is amazing, but some is just bad for no reason. The shop system is too complex and should have been much improved from DOTA.
  78. Jul 22, 2013
    best game ever, balanced heroes, no pay to win all you pay for is cosmetics, not only this but games are exhilterating and isnt about farming

it blows crappy league of legends out of the water
  79. Jul 23, 2013
    Dota 2 shows how a moba is supposed to be, an 5v5 Arena where the arena can be changed to your advantages to make deep strategy use. Dota 2 has a hard learning curve and this will follow you until you stop playing. You can never truly master the game because the situation always changes.
    If you want to compare it to other moba's is dota the big mean brother of the others.
    There is no
    There is no better moba, its comes down on your own taste. Want to still have some fun, play LoL.
    Want to try hard and cry a little, play Dota. I also see alot of bad reviews because of the community. last time I checked you don't rate a game on the community. The community can be bad but just ignore it and carry on with it untill you find a proper team. Maybe don't be such a loner and make a team so you don't have to team up with pubs. The graphics are fine as they are. The gameplay is excellent. Voice actors are excellent, the lore falls a bit short now and then but it's being worked on. The way that the community can make money out of a game someone else completely made, some people don't understand this but it's like going to a market, they set up an store for you and you just deliver the items.
  80. Jul 24, 2013
    I have spent nearly 1500 hours playing this game. It's been frustrating,punishing and perplexing; yet very enjoyable. it was overwhelming for the first 100 hours or so, not knowing the heroes or the items. However with some determination and guide reading/watching you unlock a highly rewarding and rich gaming experience which is unmatched!

I have noticed in other reviews they talk of

I have noticed in other reviews they talk of the trash talking community; ALL team games will have douche bags though dota compared to its counterparts is not as bad. You can easily mute unwanted language.

This game is truly free to play. It's pay to look cool and some of the cosmetics you can purchase (or receive as drops after games) are truly amazing! you also have a say of what will be sold in the store by voting on potential items in the steam workshop.

all in all Dota 2 is a demanding game and you will suck at first. Keep with it though and prepare for one of the gaming experiences.... oh and say goodbye to all other games!!
  81. Aug 7, 2013
    A colossal time-sink which gets better with time. Unlike most mobas nowadays DotA2 has a difficult learning curve and that scares most people off, which is tottaly understandable. But if you spend the time to learn the game you will be truly amazed by all the things that happen in a signle team fight and that you did not notice them before.
    Besides the games graphic are extremly polished
    Besides the games graphic are extremly polished and Valve updates the game frequently. Oh yeah, and it's free to play. What more could you want?
  82. Aug 12, 2013
    Fantastic controls, graphics, and gameplay. One of the best PvP games I've ever played and a LARGE improvement to the first Dota. Valve honestly couldn't have done any better.
  83. Nov 9, 2013
    Dota 2 deserves its old rating, before this diretide yay go back up Dota 2 deserves its old rating, before this diretide yay go back up! Dota 2 deserves its old rating, before this diretide yay go back up!
  84. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is so much fun, you could almost forget about it being an e-sport game. Which means, that you have to deal with other gamers, and gamers in competitive games that are based on teams and therefor teamwork tend to try very hard to ruin every single game by ruining it, ignoring the fact that one team has to lose. E-sport games have that giant flaw, that people have to act likeThis game is so much fun, you could almost forget about it being an e-sport game. Which means, that you have to deal with other gamers, and gamers in competitive games that are based on teams and therefor teamwork tend to try very hard to ruin every single game by ruining it, ignoring the fact that one team has to lose. E-sport games have that giant flaw, that people have to act like robots, doing certain things on certain timings, being on certain spots. Like every other sport, you can't afford to act chaotic, or just for the fun of it. When you find a game where people don't mind those things, count yourself lucky. I'll still give it a 8, because it leaves enough room to develop your "hero" in a way you prefer him/her. Expand
  85. Aug 22, 2013
    DOTA 2 is a fantastic game, picking up on everything made the original Warcraft mod a star. It's deep, competitive, and polished. Guaranteed to provide you with thousands of hours of play.
  86. Aug 23, 2013
    Dota 2 is a very fun multiplayer game. It's only drawbacks are the steep learning curve and awful community. Play it enough though, and you'll feel like a pro.
  87. Aug 28, 2013
    This is my first MOBA and I have to say it's pretty fun. The community can be a little harsh if you're part of "Facebook culture" and not used to the Wild West-y parts of the internet, but if you have a thick skin and learn fast it can be really fun. Those who are comfortable with a little trash talk will be fine.

It's a cash shop F2P with absolutely no pay to win. What's not to love

It's a cash shop F2P with absolutely no pay to win. What's not to love about that?

Seems a little imbalanced, but that's the kind of thing that can be fixed.
  88. Sep 1, 2013
    At first I was kind of sceptical. Normally, I really don't like MOBAs like LoL or HoN. But then I discovered Dota. The game itself is REALLY hard for beginners. But don't let that discourage you! It is really worth learning everything, though it might take more than 50-100 in-game-hours to fully comprehend the most of what you should do. You can always learn something new in the game, butAt first I was kind of sceptical. Normally, I really don't like MOBAs like LoL or HoN. But then I discovered Dota. The game itself is REALLY hard for beginners. But don't let that discourage you! It is really worth learning everything, though it might take more than 50-100 in-game-hours to fully comprehend the most of what you should do. You can always learn something new in the game, but the beginners might be a little confused.

The game itself has some things which are considered bugs but actually are intentional mechanics (such as the Pudge-Fountain hook with Chen) but if there is a bug Dota mostly tries to fix it as soon as possible.

The characters over all are MOSTLY balanced. Though there are, in my opinion, some characters that are easier than others, which makes them seem totally op if you play decent, and others not even close to good if you play them like a professional. While I say this I am thinking about Spirit Breaker, Sniper or a well played Pudge. These are the only characters they really should nerf, because you can't do ANYTHING if pudge lands a hook, spirit charges you or sniper perma-stuns you with headshot. Besides that I like the balancing a lot.

If you come to the community this game really shows it's downside. People are complete a**holes when it comes to small things like picking or laning. If they see 3 hard carrys picked they are going to pick a 4th one instead of a much needed support. This also screws up the lanes and a lot of people don't listen to more experienced players when it comes to laning or small things like mechanics. The report buttons are not even close to be enough. There is report-button for quitters, trolling or people who simply just don't listen to people who have more experience then them. It really sucks not to be able to report someone like this.

Another thing I want to talk about are russians. I have no Idea what a russian is supposed to do on an english west-europe server but they are still there and it sucks. They will, no matter what you tell them, do exactly what they want, don't speak english at all, even though you searched for the english language-preference and they will ruin your game big time. And this holds to be true for about 97,2% of the russians you meet in dota.

The communication with the team is overall quite okay, most people will react if you tell them something or suggest what you could do next. Of chourse, it happens from time to time that they won't even listen to you, but that is rarely the chase.

But my overall impressions after over 400 hours of playing: I love this game. If you play with 4 friends you won't have the problem that you have to deal with russians or idiots. This makes the game a lot cooler. Beginners might have trouble but it is really worth checking out, and I say that though I don't like MOBAs, so this really means something.
  89. Sep 2, 2013
    gameplay wise..this game does beat out other MOBA in the general 5v5 terms. However it doesnt expand beyond this and the matchmaking system..since the beta release has seen 0 improvement. It takes about 3 minutes to find a game and usally find yourself paired with heavily unbalanced teams that usually results in a one sided facerolling. Overall still fun but the matchmaking ...has seen nogameplay wise..this game does beat out other MOBA in the general 5v5 terms. However it doesnt expand beyond this and the matchmaking system..since the beta release has seen 0 improvement. It takes about 3 minutes to find a game and usally find yourself paired with heavily unbalanced teams that usually results in a one sided facerolling. Overall still fun but the matchmaking ...has seen no attention from Valve nor do they seem to be willing to devote attention to it Expand
  90. Sep 4, 2013
    First of all, I want to say to you guys, that MOBA is not new genre to me. I played League of legends like 2 years, Heroes of newerth like 1 year and few times original dota.

Dota 2 is lilttle bitt different if we compare to other MOBAS, there is alot more things you can do. Like courier system, you can hide woods (not like in LoL), you can cut woods down to make yourself good escape, secret shops, rune spawns etc.

Game is very friendly for players who havent played before MOBAS, there is long training before you can go and play against other players (For me it took like 40mins, after that you can continue or skip straight to play with other players)

Anyway, since its more new player friendly there is problems. First of all, Ive been playing alot MOBAS and im pretty good in those. Problem is that game is pretty full of casual gamers, who actually dont use brains even people who haves like 500+ wins, may be pretty bad players.

Lets talk now little bit about good things. In dota 2 waiting lines are not big and also you can choose region near your country there is alot options.

You can also buy new items to your heroes to make it look more unique, you can use items from different sets. In League of legends and Heroes of newerth you can buy "skins" and you cannot took gloves from skin X and boots from skin Y.

You are also able to buy several different ancouncer voices, ward skins, HUD skins and couriers.

Next lets move to settings. There is not much resolution options, but you can modify pretty extensively other settings. I hope valve is going to make more resolution optison in future.

Gameplay in dota 2 is pretty intensive and few heroes are able to use terrain very advantageous, which is cool. Most of heroes are aldready known from original dota version.

Last but not least, I want to talk about gaming community. First of all you are able to make teams and play with your friends. You can also make guilds, which havent that big role in dota 2. There is alot people in dota 2, who dont communicate in game and that is such a shame mostly it leads to lose. Of course there is people who communicate aswell, but I have had always bad luck with teams...

I prefer this game for people who look more "hardcore" way to play MOBAS and for those, who are bored to LoL, HoN etc.
  91. Sep 5, 2013
    One of the most famous MOBA Dota has a second version created by Steam only. Though as a Dota player for as long as I can recall, Dota has been awsome.Though Dota 2 is same there are many defects. Though you guys need to be patient, all the heroes will come out soon inlcuding steams original design for heroes. But sadly, playing Dota 2 frequently or if you have not played Dota means thatOne of the most famous MOBA Dota has a second version created by Steam only. Though as a Dota player for as long as I can recall, Dota has been awsome.Though Dota 2 is same there are many defects. Though you guys need to be patient, all the heroes will come out soon inlcuding steams original design for heroes. But sadly, playing Dota 2 frequently or if you have not played Dota means that you are one of the new noobs amongst everyone else who are not sure of how to play. If you want to be a pro i recommend getting Dota and practising with insane bots or getting Garena. It is also completely free. Almost no payments required accept for skins. It is still a more competitive game than LoL and HotN. It almost never gets boring, Though if your after a game with good graphics and not gameplay i suggest something else. What NaaR is talking about is LoL.And i must say Dota 2's waiting time is way better than LoL. It does deliver very frequently, but yes the fun part is that the suprise of know who is going to play with your or against you, nobody knows but sadly you cant check others ping. A flame fest can start but it depends actually. Its just a luck. But i think the new compendium match is a way to play against those who are competitive. And at least you do not draw the same hero as the opponent team. There is a counteract for each hero in the game unlike LoL where if 1 hero has been made a slight bit easier to play, they will nerf it to the extent that you can no longer stand playing. And unlike LoL there is no mastery or runes and stuff making everyone equal, it just depends whether they know how to play or not.Though for NaaR i recommend LoL on garena servers not american servers.
    Though despite what I have said, For about 6-8 years of playing Dota I have not found such a big a issue.
  92. Sep 5, 2013
    Okay, If you like DOTA 2, that's fine...If you like MOBA games, that's fine. If you like FREE MOBA games with a lot of characters with many different play styles, That is absolutely fine. But the second you try to defend the multiplayers community, then we need to start having a serious chat!! Now I do own a copy of DOTA 2 and I do enjoy bot matches as 'Venomancer' and I do OK on harderOkay, If you like DOTA 2, that's fine...If you like MOBA games, that's fine. If you like FREE MOBA games with a lot of characters with many different play styles, That is absolutely fine. But the second you try to defend the multiplayers community, then we need to start having a serious chat!! Now I do own a copy of DOTA 2 and I do enjoy bot matches as 'Venomancer' and I do OK on harder difficulties. I decided to go over to multiplayer one time and I ended up 0-2. The hate I got that game was horrific. I thought this was just a one off so I tried another match, I ended up not killing or getting killed for a while, and the comments started coming again, and again, and again, and again... This game to put it easily is a 2-sided coin. On one hand the game can be enjoyable if you find a character you can use effectively, however the community is honestly the worst gaming community I ever had the utter misfortune of playing with or being part of, if your not perfect instantly you will be hated. I'd say since the game is free, it's worth the price for the offline mode but that's it Expand
  93. Sep 10, 2013
    Way better than LOL in any way, completely stopped playing lol and called my friends to dota! it doesnt have trolls, its not pay 2 win like league, its just amazing
  94. Sep 22, 2013
    Dota 2 have all you need from a free to play for 1000 hours of fun. How many game can entertain you for thousands of hours with only 1 map? I choosed 9 instead of 10 point because there is no real control for bad players and the matchmaking is very slow.
  95. Feb 17, 2014
    Constant updates. Financial model which does not effect gameplay. Initial learning curve is quite steep but there are customizable lobbies and co op bot matches to hone your skills. The one point off i gave because nothing is ever perfect. Any gripes you hear about the community is testimony to humanity, and not this game. I continue to meet many kind, helpful and hilarious playersConstant updates. Financial model which does not effect gameplay. Initial learning curve is quite steep but there are customizable lobbies and co op bot matches to hone your skills. The one point off i gave because nothing is ever perfect. Any gripes you hear about the community is testimony to humanity, and not this game. I continue to meet many kind, helpful and hilarious players who i now play with on a regular basis. Expand
  96. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is extremely addictive and can be even more fun if in a party of people. Teams really make the game the best and the more you play, the better you are as the character. enjoy sitting down and spending an hour or two playing this game.
  97. Oct 4, 2013
    if kings could've played dota2 instead of chess, they probably would have. this game will please everyone, who is keen on learning how to compete in the 21st century. it's the vast number of options and possibilities that gets you every time, and a great sensation of satisfaction while you're on your way of improving just the smallest notions from game to game. lol and hon can go home andif kings could've played dota2 instead of chess, they probably would have. this game will please everyone, who is keen on learning how to compete in the 21st century. it's the vast number of options and possibilities that gets you every time, and a great sensation of satisfaction while you're on your way of improving just the smallest notions from game to game. lol and hon can go home and smack their heads with couchens, the dota legacy is the real deal, hands down. Expand
  98. Oct 5, 2013
    This is a great RPG/strategy game. In one hour you can have the satisfaction of hacking and slashing, leveling up, buying items, fighting bosses (other players) and beating the game. All in all a very satisfying experience, Though the learning curve can be a little steep, depending upon how deep you want to delve into this game. It gets deep!
  99. Oct 11, 2013
    I love the original DOTA because the campaign was great and lots of mods. DOTA 2's graphic is better,though. But the community was the worst nightmare for newbies or even the pros.
  100. Oct 27, 2013
    Best free-to-play to date. This game is the very best of team-playing pvp games. Unlike other similar moba's, this one has a great pay-module, where you only pay for cosmetics; AND the cosmetics are minor details (actually quite cool), so you recognize the hero you are fighting against. This game has the depth of Heroes of Newerth, but at a steadier phase, making it more accessible toBest free-to-play to date. This game is the very best of team-playing pvp games. Unlike other similar moba's, this one has a great pay-module, where you only pay for cosmetics; AND the cosmetics are minor details (actually quite cool), so you recognize the hero you are fighting against. This game has the depth of Heroes of Newerth, but at a steadier phase, making it more accessible to newcomers, yet still rewarding to veterans. Great game, 10/10 Expand

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.