6.4

1. Nov 9, 2013
    Probably the best game in its genre (ARTS, MOBA, Dota-like, whatever you prefer). This game is simply a better version of Dota 1, the game that made this genre famous. It is developed by Icefrog and Valve and they have done an excellent job so far. I would give it 9/10 because there are some bugs but since people started giving it 0 for a dumb reason I decided to give the max possible vote: 10!
  2. Nov 9, 2013
    The quality of this game is unmatched by any in the ARTS scene today. This is a free to play game with an extremely fair business model, unlike that of its competitors. If you're trying to decide between this and League of Legends, choose Dota and thank me later.
  3. Nov 9, 2013
    One of the best, most difficult and truly competitive games I've ever played. It is free and doesn't have any pay-to-win, all heroes are free, the only paid content are cosmetical items that DO NOT change gameplay.
  4. Aug 11, 2014
    Awesome game needs time to learn but at all its just god damn awesome, i would everybody recommend to play it if u like MOBAS/ARTS i go about 3k hours now and i will play way more :) awesome!. Btw the company is talented not like riot haha, i mean the content patches are AWESOME and big
  5. Nov 9, 2013
    Although getting into Dota 2 can be very hard and frustrating initally, it is one of the most rewarding and interesting games out there.
    It may not be for everyone, but everyone should at least give it a shot.
  6. Nov 9, 2013
    Dota 2 is an amazing game if you put in the time and get past the initial learning curve you will find that the complexity of the game is what makes it interesting and enjoyable
  7. Nov 9, 2013
    Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband!
  8. Nov 9, 2013
    I love the history of DotA and played both the original and stand-alone sequel extensively. There are a lot of children crying about missing Diretide, which wasn't even well liked last year. Which is one of the problems with this game, the community. You're partnered with five other players for 25-60 minutes and they're often not on the same level or they have communication issues. MostI love the history of DotA and played both the original and stand-alone sequel extensively. There are a lot of children crying about missing Diretide, which wasn't even well liked last year. Which is one of the problems with this game, the community. You're partnered with five other players for 25-60 minutes and they're often not on the same level or they have communication issues. Most often it's the negative behaviour and communication abuse that ruins a match. Dota 2 needs to reward positive players instead of only punishing negative players.

The market is only cosmetic, unlike TF2 who's items affect gameplay. You never need to spend a cent. For a long time I didn't spend anything. Recently I've purchased from both the in-game market and the community market. The community market allowed me to pick up some player sets for a fraction of the regular price.
  9. Nov 9, 2013
    .................................................................Diretide will be given, my soul rests now............................................................................................................................
  10. Nov 9, 2013
    TY volvo Ty volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvo
  11. Nov 9, 2013
    1600 hours in, not a single regret. Feels like i've scratched the surface, haha!

After getting this game, i haven't played any singleplayer games, totally hooked on this. It just seems every match of dota tells a better story than any game could.

I really can't see myself getting bored of it ever.
  12. Nov 9, 2013
    This game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, butThis game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, but both games are compleatly different. Its like comparing COD and Battlefield, they are so different that connot be compared. (no preference on either game, I think bot of them are good) Give this game a try, the learning curve is very steep but it is rewarding when you learn. I think this is the best gave valve has ever developed and has been the most played game on steam ever since the second year of beta development. Try it out, its free and badass! Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2013
    Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe.
  14. Nov 10, 2013
    Valve is listening now, they just need to add more game modes and maps and give more heroes, they are a very good company, they dont their customers like EA, and yeah, release HL3
  15. Nov 11, 2013
    I was skeptical of the learning curve, though I had played league of legends, it turned out to be a far for rewarding experience than I had expected. I much prefer the seriour, no-nonsense attitude of most people you find in public games and I must say, the game looks beautiful. It is incredibly polished and there is such a sense of quality I've not found in an online game before.

If

If you are looking to make the jump from LoL or just dip your toe in the Dota, I can't recommend this enough. I love the free to play model, there is literally nothing to lose.

Thanks valve and icefrog!
  16. Nov 11, 2013
    Amazing game. It is impressive how you can spend a couple thousand hours playing this and still are trying to improve and want to play more. It's the sequel of the first "MOBA" or "ARTS" game, DotA, a mod of Warcraft III which is still huge even today. This game improved everything from the original mod and it's still getting bigger. Valve it's a great company and won't let us down. It's aAmazing game. It is impressive how you can spend a couple thousand hours playing this and still are trying to improve and want to play more. It's the sequel of the first "MOBA" or "ARTS" game, DotA, a mod of Warcraft III which is still huge even today. This game improved everything from the original mod and it's still getting bigger. Valve it's a great company and won't let us down. It's a hard and complex game, and it takes an insane amount of time to master (if it's possible), and until then, have fun! Expand
  17. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is certainly worth playing. It's free yet very entertaining and joyful, hard, complicated and requires a calm mind and firm strategy. If you're up for challenge download dota on steam and start playing. it's hard but rewarding
  18. Nov 11, 2013
    Really awesome game. Despite some whining people (with big ego) says, if you are a noob you will play with noobs, and if you really are good, you will play with very high skilled people (sometimes even with pro players) keep it up Valve!
  19. Nov 11, 2013
    (I'm giving this a 10 vs. an 8 or 9 because of Diretide spammers). First off, here's DotA 2, in a nutshell, compared to the major (also "free") competition (skip past this if you want). In DotA 1, you can barely see what's going on; in DotA 2, you can see things. DotA 1 is based off WC3, which is not free, and gets updates ported back; DotA 2 is standalone, and gets updates first, although(I'm giving this a 10 vs. an 8 or 9 because of Diretide spammers). First off, here's DotA 2, in a nutshell, compared to the major (also "free") competition (skip past this if you want). In DotA 1, you can barely see what's going on; in DotA 2, you can see things. DotA 1 is based off WC3, which is not free, and gets updates ported back; DotA 2 is standalone, and gets updates first, although it is still missing some heroes as of writing. In LoL, you have to unlock or pay for heroes, gameplay-affecting masteries, and have to pay for cosmetics, but some baseline level of Asian-style T&A is free. In DotA 2, all heroes are free, and there is no equivalent to masteries, so the only thing you can spend money on is expensive cosmetics, which do not significantly effect the lower level of baseline T&A. In LoL, meta is very rigid, games snowball easily, and the game is more forgiving to mistakes; in DotA 2, meta is flexible, comebacks are extremely common, and mistakes are punished hard. In HoN, everyone is angry at you and leaves your game; in DotA 2, only select ethnic groups (decided based on a player's mood at time of abandon) are angry at you, and players generally leave the game slightly less. In a nutshell, DotA 1 and HoN are for players that have played for 10 years and put up with the problems. LoL is casual, which makes it trivial to learn and better for playing games with friends. So DotA 2 is basically king right now, if not in player count.

So what makes a DotA 2? It's a MOBA/ARTS/DotA-like game, which means it pits two teams of five heroes against each other, each occupying half of the square map, with territory on opposite corners, divided by the diagonal. Each side has an "ancient" which can be reached through three lanes. The lanes are protected by two barracks (which spawn friendly "creeps" periodically), and 3 towers. The goal of the game is to eventually push with the creeps down the enemy lanes to reach and destroy their ancient. Heroes gain gold and experience by killing enemy and neutral units, which they spend on items and skills that last until the end of the round. So a game goes through the arc of an RPG in about an hour: you normally first spend time hitting low-level creeps with basic attacks, then you take on higher level creeps and enemy heroes with basic abilities and items, and in the endgame (if you could afford the items and skills) you go all out with a nearly full loadout of skills and items. But this arc of battle is made interesting by how the mechanics interact. Interestingly, there are 5 heroes per side, but 3 lanes, meaning that there are several different ways to split heroes between lanes, so you'll often see interesting splits, like trilanes. You can often win the game by going with an esoteric item build (as long as you know what you're doing) and communicating with your team. Thanks to intense fog of war, wards and team communication are fundamental for map control. Positioning and timing are very important during teamfights. And things like last hits/denies introduce skill to even basic farming. You get the idea there are lots of mechanics to keep track of, teamwork is important, and there are ways to learn all of them. DotA 2 is a great game to play with a team of four other friends, and a game with a very high skill ceiling. Thanks to all the different ways the mechanics can fall together, it's a very enjoyable game to watch, too. It's pretty much at the pinnacle of its genre.
  20. Nov 14, 2013
    Always updating every month or so with amazing amounts of new content and new user and community features. I don't know a better game that continues pushing new content for free. Also, DotA 2 always refines and revamp older characters so they don't get forgotten, new skins and HD remodeling as well
  21. Nov 14, 2013
    I'll start off by saying this; it's not easy. It is however the most rewarding PvP experience I've ever had in a game. I was initially put off for a long time by being intimidated of the community. I thought for sure that I would be harassed non-stop until I got the hang of things, but it turned out that it wasn't the case. I've run into a few half-hearted name callers, but nothingI'll start off by saying this; it's not easy. It is however the most rewarding PvP experience I've ever had in a game. I was initially put off for a long time by being intimidated of the community. I thought for sure that I would be harassed non-stop until I got the hang of things, but it turned out that it wasn't the case. I've run into a few half-hearted name callers, but nothing even close to what I'd consider abuse or even irritating.

The tutorial that Valve has introduced worked quite well for me, and eased me into being prepared to play with people. Now, a month after, I think about the game all the time. It will suck you in.
  22. Nov 15, 2013
    Amazing game with awesome features. Perfect upgrade from DOTA1. Valve is putting in tons of effort and it is paying off. I can play this game 100% for free every single day. New content comes regularly and they make a point of keeping the quality high.
  23. Nov 20, 2013
    A game with fantastic graphic and sound assets ruined by the multiplayer portion of the game. The single player training missions and Valve's commitment to keeping the game alive are the only saving graces of this free to play game.

The main part of the game is multiplayer. While Valve have exceeded in delivering great multiplayer experiences in their past games, they've truly dropped dropped the ball in Dota 2. It's a team based game but it's an extremely rare occurrence for you and your team to even speak the same language or even reside on the same continent. With the size of the playerbase of Dota 2, that isn't something that can be overlooked.

In this type of game, the entire experience is dependent on team communication. And it's all bad. 95% of communication in this game is namecalling and "report" threats. I thought Counter Strike had the worst community of any multiplayer-centric game until I played Dota 2.

There are tools to get over the language barriers, but that's not the biggest problem. It's the matchmaking. Every game I've played so far has been a white wash for my team or the opponents. People call "GG" after first blood and games rarely last longer than 30 minutes. Since there's almost no penalty for leaving a game, many people abandon and the whole game becomes a waste of time.

As for actual game mechanics, I don't have any praise for those either. Ability descriptions are inconsistent, NPC AI is inconsistent, items are inconsistent, even the hero naming scheme is inconsistent. It feels like a good idea for a game bogged down by engine limitations and poor foresight from the designers. The tutorials explain a little about the game, but players are expected to know almost every ability and item before playing online which is an almost impossible feat without player coaching.

I can't recommend this game to anyone unless they love tower defence and they're playing it offline with bots.
  24. Nov 27, 2013
    This game takes a LONG time to learn, however, this is one of the most rewarding games I've ever played. Starting from DotA 2 beta in December of '12, I had to admit this was my best time playing a game over a prolonged period of time. I never played DotA1, as wasn't old enough when the trend for DotA1 started, but I can easily see why the trend started. This is an amazing game, and anThis game takes a LONG time to learn, however, this is one of the most rewarding games I've ever played. Starting from DotA 2 beta in December of '12, I had to admit this was my best time playing a game over a prolonged period of time. I never played DotA1, as wasn't old enough when the trend for DotA1 started, but I can easily see why the trend started. This is an amazing game, and an amazing remake of it. Heck, even DotA 1 is still being updated. Overall, it's a great game, just don't get bummed out in low priority, because that's where the flamers are, and get ready to learn how to play. The learning curve is seriously high, but you can definitely learn! Expand
  25. Nov 28, 2013
    One of the most complex and rewarding blends of strategy and RPG out there, Dota 2 delivers an amazing experience for those willing to actually learn the game. It's NOT an easy game, it's clearly NOT meant for casuals and console kids in general.

Dota 2 improves on the old Warcraft 3 DotA map without changing any of the core aspects of the game. The game wasn't dumbed down ("streamlined"), there is no way to get any sort of in-game advantage by spending money and, unlike LoL, there is no locked content. You can play every single character from day one.

If you are willing to face a steep learning curve and a pretty toxic community, the reward is a game with limitless possibilities, numerous viable strategies and several layers of extremely rich content. Ignore the negative reviews, they were written by COD-kids with the attention span of a goldfish and absolutely no idea on how to appreciate an intelligent masterpiece such as DotA 2. If you are a true PC gamer who enjoys a challenging yet rewarding experience, then you can NOT ignore DotA 2.
  26. Nov 28, 2013
    This game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, but bot…
  27. Dec 3, 2013
    Metascore 90?!!!! Who are the those metacritics? I don't lknow. Prob suck-balls-nerds. Dota 2 sucks ass. After the patch #6.79 I deleted this Valve sucks ass. You are all stupid if you are still playing this sucked--from-ass-****.
  28. May 6, 2014
    Please back 6.77 patch, or please back Disassemble and Active for 'Tranquil Boots' Please back 6.77 patch, or please back Disassemble and Active for 'Tranquil Boots' Please back 6.77 patch, or please back Disassemble and
  29. Dec 10, 2013
    I'm going to start by saying dota 2 isn't for everyone. As you can see there is a very even based user score. The gameplay does what it is meant to do and the mechanics of the game are well engineered. Visuals are much nicer than LOL or any other mmoba on the market. But on the other hand it takes a lot of time to fully understand the mechanics of this game and the way it is mean to beI'm going to start by saying dota 2 isn't for everyone. As you can see there is a very even based user score. The gameplay does what it is meant to do and the mechanics of the game are well engineered. Visuals are much nicer than LOL or any other mmoba on the market. But on the other hand it takes a lot of time to fully understand the mechanics of this game and the way it is mean to be played. Lots of negative reviews are poured in because people argue that it is unbalanced and many heroes are OP. This isn't true. Its more so that they don't understand the game well enough to play against these things right. The next thing you should look out for is the community. Most people on dota are horrible people and will yell at you get mad and report you saying you fed. As a member of this gaming community it shames me that I have to play on the same teams as them. Valve does what they can but the report system has backfired to the point where innocent noobs get reported and than quit cause they cant have fun. The reason i ranked this game so high is the problems that come with the game are nothing that valve could have done to fix. Its simply the way that human nature has perverted it and twisted it. However this game is fun and you should definitely give it a try Expand
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    Great game. This was my first incursion in the genre and my first game went horribly bad, I got killed 21 times, got flamed, felt horrible... but I liked the graphics and the attention to detail all around (music, voice acting, gameplay). I knew I could do better if I learned a bit....and I tried again... Boy. The feeling of winning when you do is Glorious! So rewarding! It was just "I mayGreat game. This was my first incursion in the genre and my first game went horribly bad, I got killed 21 times, got flamed, felt horrible... but I liked the graphics and the attention to detail all around (music, voice acting, gameplay). I knew I could do better if I learned a bit....and I tried again... Boy. The feeling of winning when you do is Glorious! So rewarding! It was just "I may have to do this and this" and it paid off! This game has the most gameplay depth I have ever experienced, super enjoyable and fun. And the community is quite nice once you step ahead of the morons who play at the lower levels. Just try and play a couple games and see what it's like for yourself! Just care not to feed too much, Expand
  31. Dec 19, 2013
    I would normally give this game a 9. But since a bunch of kids gave it a zero because of diretide, I'll give it a 10. It's one of the best competitives teamwork games out there and it's quite polished also.
  32. Dec 28, 2013
    It is not possible to review Dota 2 as a whole game because it is never completed. Unlike the typical yearly release of first-person shooters on the market, Dota 2 is constantly being updated. New features are added every month and the player-base is always growing over time. Since the game's inception in 2011, its developer Icefrog and company Valve Corporation have shown their dedicationIt is not possible to review Dota 2 as a whole game because it is never completed. Unlike the typical yearly release of first-person shooters on the market, Dota 2 is constantly being updated. New features are added every month and the player-base is always growing over time. Since the game's inception in 2011, its developer Icefrog and company Valve Corporation have shown their dedication and ability to continue supporting the game in all its various aspects.
    Dota 2 is the epitome of competition, skill complexity and team strategy.
    Dota 2 has a learning cliff that needs to be conquered by new players if they are to enjoy the game. It is hard, torturous and unforgiving, but the rewards are well worth the effort and time invested. Even for the most dedicated of players and professionals, there are always new challenges to learn as the degree of interactivity in this game is so high that no two games are exactly the same.

Dota 2 is currently free-to-play but, amazingly, does not apply a "Pay-to-win" or "Pay-to-advance" game monetization method. Instead, Dota 2 sells in-game cosmetics that fit into its heroes' themes and colors and provide no advantages or disadvantages at all. Anyone can play the game and never spend a single cent or dollar, and will never be shortchanged in any way. All heroes are available for play and there are no "pay-gates" or "unlock-mechanisms".
  33. Dec 29, 2013
    terrible community, new heroes take forever to release and all that's being released are unnecessary cosmetics, seems to me that valve just cares about making money. On the bright side, it's free to play and has really good gameplay. Certainly the best moba game there is right now.
  34. Jan 7, 2014
    engrossing game. character variety brilliant. lots of player guides. in no time, youll have your favourite characters that you like playing. mine are Shadow Shaman (good fire and forget turret destroyer ultimate until its nerfed if ever). Lycanthrope(good wolves,down boy, hehe) and Mirana. there are a lot of guys who get frustrated if you dont play the game their way- but remember it is aengrossing game. character variety brilliant. lots of player guides. in no time, youll have your favourite characters that you like playing. mine are Shadow Shaman (good fire and forget turret destroyer ultimate until its nerfed if ever). Lycanthrope(good wolves,down boy, hehe) and Mirana. there are a lot of guys who get frustrated if you dont play the game their way- but remember it is a team game. mute the idiots. when you followed other guys plans and it didnt work, hold yer tongue from saying i told you so and think what you are going to do in the next. i like to play for the team as opposed to personal score. much rather die and take down a turret and help win the game than get a good kill score ratio. remember the aim is to destroy the other team's base not just bash their heroes(though it helps) and your creeps (npc henchmen) go a long way to help that. weaken the towers, weaken the other players creeps if you dont destroy them and youll help your creeps in destroying their base. played 2 games a few days ago where my ally just said to us stop pushing meaning stop advancing...silly thing to say as advancing means going fwd (wasnt stop attempting to push). i played with him in 2 games on the trot as an ally. took another ally player (thats how i am)in 2nd to remind him what the aim of the game is). also too many kids which say 'commend me' or 'commend me please' aswell as idiots because that is most definitely what they are, who say 'Report xyz' as if other players dont have a brain-i dread to think how many poor guys have got bans or similar because of the reporting system and other players being led by this if i was valve i'd do away totally with the reporting system. i know its a bit controversial but id have seperate rooms geared for going for the win and going for player score hopefully alleviating the 'lets run around weakening and upsetting the oppo when our score is so stacked right now that we can literally walk into the base and win but lets inflict more pain' mentality for those who dont like doing that. have a variety of game plans, situation dependent. sometimes its good to go as a group but also that one lone guy can achieve much whilst 4 others gank. its whats so good about the game. lots of strategies, lots of characters and a lot of people think they know best, dare i say it, including me, lol. play the game, try it but keep a thick skin. i love it. the mp entry does need sorting though- 1 player declining which sends you all back to matchmaking is a bit silly. Expand
  35. Jan 8, 2014
    I gave this game a chance, I really did. I've given all these cookie-cutter MOBAs more of a chance than they deserve and I'm done. I don't see how anyone can enjoy playing this river of yet it's extremely popular?
  36. Jan 9, 2014
    Many blame the game for its horrible community. It is indeed rude and childish, but to blame the game itself for it would be pointless. As for the game itself, it's pointless to rate a free-to-play product of such quality and stability lower that 10, as Valve has done tremendous job to preserve DotA into Source engine and introduce new elements which help attract new players and old players alike.
  37. Mar 2, 2014
    Dota 2 score should be split into 2, first should be about the game and I think it'sbrilliant... but it's not the game for a solo player as myself... if you have a group of friends to play it... you will all like it and maybe even win some cash in Dota2 tournaments... this part I'm giving 10

And there is the other side: community and match making. Valve does not pay any attention to match making and sometimes it feels like all dota players are russians... you play on US servers: all rusians, you play on europe servers: all russians... you play on south africa servers: all russians. Valve should do something about that problem... but I think DOTA2 is becomming official russian sport like starcraft in south korea. If you are a noob player you will hear unpleasant comment about your parents and your relatives...

Community side of the game is so terrible that its hard to give DOTA2 any fair score... the game itself is brilliant and requires a lot of teamwork... if you dont have a good team... you can still get sucked into this game and even after being shouted and hearling bad stuff about your mother... you will keep playing it and maybe even enjoy it.
  38. Mar 14, 2014
    gtfo league fanboys and stop hating on dota because you decided to play the n00b moba and found dota too hard for you lololololololololololololololololol
  39. Mar 14, 2014
    One of the best game I've ever played, even though learning curve is really high it still gives lots of fun.
    For some reasons I heard that this game is really imbalanced, probably because it's mostly directed to competitive scene.
  40. Mar 16, 2014
    This game's user score should be at least 2 higher because of all the "DIRETIDE PLZ VOLVO" reviews that people did.
    Anyway this is going to be a short review. The game is free, yet is not pay to win, has around a hundred playable heroes all very different and versatile and is constantly updated. I mean come on, how can you not love it? The graphics are great, mechanics are smooth and no single hero is overpowered if the opponent is smart and can utilize his items and hero abilities. This is the TF2 of the MOBA genre, except that it's even better in the retrospect that nothing you buy can aid you to win. The only downside to the game its very steep learning curve but if you put in enough time the game is immensely fun. 200 hours in and I love it to bits. Highly recommended.
  41. Mar 22, 2014
    Horribly unbalanced game. Community is full of immature people. Game for people with no lives. Not for a casual video game player. Would not recommend this trash to anyone.
  42. Apr 2, 2014
    F*cking, terrible. There is literally nothing i found good about this game, I played the original DotA mod for Warcraft III and was hooked, it was **** glorious, but now it is pure **** it doesn't look good in any way, it's slow, and boring, only in the end is it fun, it is in no way good or competitive. Jesus **** Christ, if you haven't played any MOBA before this is THE LAST MOBA youF*cking, terrible. There is literally nothing i found good about this game, I played the original DotA mod for Warcraft III and was hooked, it was **** glorious, but now it is pure **** it doesn't look good in any way, it's slow, and boring, only in the end is it fun, it is in no way good or competitive. Jesus **** Christ, if you haven't played any MOBA before this is THE LAST MOBA you wanna try, it is not newbie friendly, neither is the community, there are few english speaking people who you'll find in this game and the rest are ALL **** RUSSIAN, if you wanna experience a good MOBA you should play smite or LoL (i know, i know... but they're basically DOTA 2 with smoother graphics and more competitive). Long story short, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT BY ANY **** MEANS PLAY THIS HORRID **** GAME. Expand
  43. Apr 19, 2014
    Before I start, I would like to say that I have spent about 2000 hours on the game, and that I quit it about 4 months back.
    Your opinion on this game is based on whether you play it for hours and hours or not.
    The game itself is a well made standalone version of the famous warcraft 3 map. The detail put into the heroes is amazing(Graphic & Audio wise), but still, some fail to live up to their war3 counterparts.
    And that's about all of the nice things I have to say about the game.
    It's graphics(not hero design) look dated. But that's not so important.
    You see, this is a team based game, and unless you are going to play with friends, you can bet you're going to get matched with someone who doesn't speak the language you queued up for. The amount of toxicity in the community is insane, and the only counter to it which VALVE have so far is a simple mute, which only ruins the game for people who get matched with the muted player. The game also has an inexcusably huge amount of unfixed, confirmed bugs, if I recall correctly, the number is about ~800.
    Also, ever since The International 2, VALVE have been extremely slow with hero updates(Prior to the The International 2, there were updates that had as many as 3 heroes in them, all coming out each week), while still pushing out cosmetic updates week after week.
    This games learning curve is steep, and you MUST invest time in watching tutorials, streams, trying out things in a lobby(on top of actually playing the game) if you want to make any sort of progress with it.
    This, in my opinion, is not bad, but it is very intimidating for newcomers.
    And with this I'd like to end my review of the game.
    But no matter what I say, this game is still going to grow, and so is it's playerbase. Let's just hope the future is brighter.
  44. Apr 28, 2014
    Definitely one of the best games i've ever played. I started out playing LoL but tried out dota and it turned out to be great! I love it. It's especially fun to play with your friends if you are 5. It makes it more fun and give you more teamplay and you will win easily! Try it!
  45. pew
    Apr 28, 2014
    IF you want a more competitive and complicated moba you may like this game.

IF you want a more competitive and complicated moba you may like this game.

Dota2 has the worst gaming community in the world. They are full of ragers and elitist. While this is not uncommon in the gaming world, I have never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. The game is overly complicated and causes rage in 90% of players. Most of the people who I know that enjoy the game spend half their time cursing and complaining about it. Requires memorizing champs items etc. It is designed for competitive play, not the unwashed rift raft.
  46. May 29, 2014
    One of the best games I've ever played. These is so much depth to the gameplay that comes into play each game- positioning, item choice, farming, team composition, etc.
    Not an easy game to get into and far from simple to master, but very satisfying. 10/10 been playing for a year and will likely continue to play for a long time.
  47. Jun 4, 2014
    After 200 hours i got bored. Maybe I don't like the moba genre. You only have fun if you win. So 50% fun and 50% not fun, especially on a losing streak. This is a very repetitive game. You play on the same map all the time. There is no point in leveling, you don't unlock anything cool. It just gives a treasure box. Winning mmr and then you lose all the mmr you gained, it feelsAfter 200 hours i got bored. Maybe I don't like the moba genre. You only have fun if you win. So 50% fun and 50% not fun, especially on a losing streak. This is a very repetitive game. You play on the same map all the time. There is no point in leveling, you don't unlock anything cool. It just gives a treasure box. Winning mmr and then you lose all the mmr you gained, it feels like you wasted your time. Dota 2 needs more maps, game modes, and custom games. Expand
  48. Jun 13, 2014
    I think the game itself is fun but its not for people who are new to gaming cause, while it may sound good, all characters are free which is overwhelming and the tutorial doesn't give you much help. I'm a big fan of LOL so i thought that Dota 2 is an easy to understand game but even i was confused. Although the graphics / platform are better looking, I would say LOL is more. ( LOL isI think the game itself is fun but its not for people who are new to gaming cause, while it may sound good, all characters are free which is overwhelming and the tutorial doesn't give you much help. I'm a big fan of LOL so i thought that Dota 2 is an easy to understand game but even i was confused. Although the graphics / platform are better looking, I would say LOL is more. ( LOL is also gonna upgrade the graphics to a much better state next season so if you like better graphics both games are actually the same, LOL is just a bit late.) Expand
  49. Jun 25, 2014
    Easily the best MOBA on the market. Takes the most skill and patience to excel in the game beyond an amateur level. The people who speak against this game for the most part have not taken the lengthy time it takes to actually enjoy it. This is not by no means for a casual gamer. The gaming graphics are far superior to LOL, HON and Dawngate. I'm not downplaying those other game, but this isEasily the best MOBA on the market. Takes the most skill and patience to excel in the game beyond an amateur level. The people who speak against this game for the most part have not taken the lengthy time it takes to actually enjoy it. This is not by no means for a casual gamer. The gaming graphics are far superior to LOL, HON and Dawngate. I'm not downplaying those other game, but this is my opinion. The reason I like this game more than the other MOBA's is because of the difficulty. Expand
  50. Jul 4, 2014
    Great game with great balance completely tainted by one of the most toxic communities out there and horrible matchmaking to give you inescapable losing struggles.
  51. Jul 12, 2014
    Best free to play game in a true sense. There's no need to buy new heroes, no Pay-to-win issue at all. The game is absolutely fantastic especially after Valve has been putting focus on server stability, balance and the most importantly, community. It's amazing how the game has been improved since its first Beta launch back in 2011.
  52. Jul 26, 2014
    dota 2 will and will always be the best game it wrecks wannabe games like lol and hon because lol has terrible everything and hon is ok but dota 2 beats it in alot of aspects. For example LOL is a pay to win game with like 1000 heros every week my friend spent 100$ on it and was in a bad mood because the next day they released a better hero then another and another. not only that but ifdota 2 will and will always be the best game it wrecks wannabe games like lol and hon because lol has terrible everything and hon is ok but dota 2 beats it in alot of aspects. For example LOL is a pay to win game with like 1000 heros every week my friend spent 100$ on it and was in a bad mood because the next day they released a better hero then another and another. not only that but if you mess up one thing in lol nothing bad happens you mess up one time in Dota 2 you lose the game. Also the fact that all of dota 2 characters are FREE thats right FREE you dont have to play 10 games to play one hero like in lol AND you DONT have to pay 30 bucks for a hero either. the only thing you can pay for is to get hero sets and additional badass gear and hon is also a wannabe that is WAY better then bad LoL Expand
  53. Jul 26, 2014
    The king of the MOBA genre.

I have logged 2.500 LoL games before swapping to DOTA and recently hit 1.000 games here. I can say that I rarely if ever regret the change. The game play is engaging and the heroes are actually different compared to LoL where your hero choice seems less important. My main beef with the game is how hard it is to get into. The game is one unforgiving
    The king of the MOBA genre.

My main beef with the game is how hard it is to get into. The game is one unforgiving motherf****r and you got few tools to help you except play play and play. Learning LoL was a lot easier and I think both games can learn from each other.
  54. Aug 3, 2014
    Playing this over 10 god damn years. Still not done yet - game to freakin deep - the neverstopping process of learning new, analysing data, mastering all the little aspects will literally drive you nuts if you brain loves to keep working. But nobody forces you to - you can just have fun like most of the players do.
  55. Aug 11, 2014
    Certainly the most addictive game I played. I love the minimalist core concept combined with an almost unlimited depth. If you play it (semi-)regularly with a team consisting of friends it's at its best. A competitive game avec brio!
  56. Aug 13, 2014
    I've played this game for 273 hours and I think this game is great with good replay value but its gets competitive quick + it becomes a race for the toxic heroes or for there counters but its worth playing if you like mobas
  57. Aug 30, 2014
    The best MOBA game!! Awesome graphics and animations!!! Also very helpfull with the new players!! You can win with your skills and not with your money!!!
  58. Sep 16, 2014
    Never before have I played a game that I get so angry about. Dota 2 has good production value, but it just sucks horribly at delivering what a gamer wants, entertainment and fun. If frustrating lags weren't enough, the fact you have to play without being able to surrender unless you want to quit and end up in the Low Priority bracket is unbearable. The game also has pathetic cartoonNever before have I played a game that I get so angry about. Dota 2 has good production value, but it just sucks horribly at delivering what a gamer wants, entertainment and fun. If frustrating lags weren't enough, the fact you have to play without being able to surrender unless you want to quit and end up in the Low Priority bracket is unbearable. The game also has pathetic cartoon graphic, terrible designs that are a travesty to all I know and love about Warcraft 3, unbalanced heroes, steep learning curves and a poor item management system.
    This is Dota 1.24, not Dota 2.
  59. Oct 25, 2014
    I personally think this game has a bit of a learning curve, but: when you know how to play it can make time pass by and you just want to play another game after you won one, you can make friends from Dota 2 and in some situations it can give you a thrill. I would have rated this game higher if they had an option to vs people at your own level. 9/10
  60. Oct 27, 2014
    The game is a bit old compared to more new and next generation MOBAS. The map and graphics are very hard to focus on for the maps design isn't very connected to each other and have alot of random gaps and stuff. The gameplay is a bit **** to me. For a couple of heros can literally solo a game once they start snowballing and get fed. The community is ok since it's connected to steam andThe game is a bit old compared to more new and next generation MOBAS. The map and graphics are very hard to focus on for the maps design isn't very connected to each other and have alot of random gaps and stuff. The gameplay is a bit **** to me. For a couple of heros can literally solo a game once they start snowballing and get fed. The community is ok since it's connected to steam and bring more mature players. But the biggest thing that made me quit is that the game play isn't the full thing you are looking for in a MOBA. Hard to get started on this game. Takes a good time to learn and start to actually have fun playing game. The ranking on DOTA is also kinda weird?
    Overall the Dota 2 is really competitive and the community is nice, but I prefer League Of Legends now because of it's more immersive gameplay. I feel that League is a better representation of a MOBA because of the laning where their is a top laner, mid laner, jungler, adc, and support. It adds so much to strategy and a variety to the whole game. League is also has much more community and can actually show you affection to the game through it's super active community.
  61. Nov 13, 2014
    Within a year, I could speak fluent peruvian and russian.

In all seriousness, Dota 2 is a highly addictive real time strategy game. It looks beautiful and is very rewarding. Hard to learn, hard to master. I definitely recommend it to anyone.

62. Nov 18, 2014
    omg dota is so goods it is basically my life once i started playin i cant stop i am only writing this now because im in a lobby waiting for a match and i thought it was a good idea to get more people playing.Now first of all the graphics are AMAZING. they make the female characters look so hot i dont even need to watch porn anymore and have learnt to play with one hand you get what imomg dota is so goods it is basically my life once i started playin i cant stop i am only writing this now because im in a lobby waiting for a match and i thought it was a good idea to get more people playing.Now first of all the graphics are AMAZING. they make the female characters look so hot i dont even need to watch porn anymore and have learnt to play with one hand you get what im sayin ;))) dota i sbasically life i dont need anythin else other than food of course but my grandma brings me so many snacks which is great. since i dropped out of school i have been able to focus more time on dota cos i dont have any dumb homework to do anymore so i can literally get 14 hours a day in (i would play more but grandma says i need some sleep). on the downside my skin has got much worse and i have this green spot on my man parts, does anyone know what this is? it hurts when ive been playing for like 10 hours which is very annoying cus i need to play more. my grandma says im addicted i say stfu grandma, play some dota, drink some pepsi max - life sorted.
    peace
    add me on steam ~ Demented ~ i am fun and need more players for my teaam which is called Ankor, my team are all skrubs and i need better support
  63. Nov 20, 2014
    Absolutely brilliant game that pioneered and defined the MOBA genre. Best of its kind and the most difficult too; new users may have trouble acclimating to the level of competitiveness.

But it's an absolutely excellent game. At least try it!
  64. Dec 15, 2014
    Having invested two thousand hours, I now disdain this game.

For new players, this game has an incredibly large learning curve - like all mobas, so if one plans to play this game, one must have a whole lot of patience. ---- The biggest flaw in this game (or mobas in genera) is that a slight disadvantage in the early games snowballs into a soul crushing 40-60 mins of slowly watching
    Having invested two thousand hours, I now disdain this game.

----
    The biggest flaw in this game (or mobas in genera) is that a slight disadvantage in the early games snowballs into a soul crushing 40-60 mins of slowly watching your team lose.
    It is especially difficult when placing faith in up two four strangers who at LEAST one of is just blatantly clueless.

Even when you are playing with competent people, you will probably be playing against a ridiculously unbalanced hero (Slark for instance) in which most people will recommend you to "counterpick" but often times is impossible due to team compilations.
  65. Dec 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dota 2 this game is just awesome, you can play it with your friends ,that I really enjoy this game,The game is wonderful when you get into a good game, with opponents and team mates equal of your skill. However, the game is a horrible experience Expand
  66. Jan 26, 2015
    Great game, very hard for casuals to learn, even now, after beeing noobed down to 5% difficulty. Mixing verterans and newbies doesnt solve the eternal question "whose fault it is". Some cant read, some cant think, some dont give a **** So, thats your base of operations, your team. You *can* create your own team, unfortunately you have to evaluate your team members, whichs is still hardGreat game, very hard for casuals to learn, even now, after beeing noobed down to 5% difficulty. Mixing verterans and newbies doesnt solve the eternal question "whose fault it is". Some cant read, some cant think, some dont give a **** So, thats your base of operations, your team. You *can* create your own team, unfortunately you have to evaluate your team members, whichs is still hard and sometimes quite surpring as with any other normal D2 game. Playing with real life friends is your best option here, otherwise, you wont have fun at all. Alone 1/10 vs team of friends 10/10. Expand
  67. Feb 13, 2015
    tyuiyytkukuyrtuytuj rytyujrtji rtyuu eryrtuv eygh erytuhyjt ryeuyhr eyry eyryfgh ryeteujhg ery reyheuyhuyht eyryey eyy rt grhtyu dota is **** grth bomzi katka haahhaahha azazzazzaa etettyhyt tuh!!!!
  68. Apr 3, 2015
    Beginners are screwed at first, but eventually they will discover a new, extremely satisfying level of gameplay. Dota 2 is an amazing game because of its strategic depth, constantly varying games, and established highly competitive scene. This game generates challenges both for the casual and the more serious player.
  69. Jul 11, 2013
    Compared to League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, Dota 2 has more unique heroes and items. It is more advanced and rewarding than LoL. It is slower than HoN, which is important in team fights. The best popular MOBA out there.
  70. Jul 11, 2013
    Its a very good game. I started playing since the beta about 1 and a half year ago. Its true that its hard to master the game but Its very interesting and fun to master each hero. As you get to learn that each character is situational and not the same. I have become addicted to it and i find it as my favorite Action RTS.
  71. Jul 12, 2013
    Never been so addicted to a game before! Weekly updates, balanced, and a economy if you like to trade. Basically this game has everything you can ask for in a Moba.
  72. Jul 12, 2013
    DOTA 2 is the best in the MOBA class. I have played LoL, DOTA, DOTA 2 and some lesser known MOBAs and DOTA 2 is by far the best. In addition, it is F2P which is amazing. And unlike, LoL or HoN which require you to use a rotating hero list until you buy your own with real money or accumulate enough in-game currency to purchase a single hero, DOTA 2 immediately gives you access to its entireDOTA 2 is the best in the MOBA class. I have played LoL, DOTA, DOTA 2 and some lesser known MOBAs and DOTA 2 is by far the best. In addition, it is F2P which is amazing. And unlike, LoL or HoN which require you to use a rotating hero list until you buy your own with real money or accumulate enough in-game currency to purchase a single hero, DOTA 2 immediately gives you access to its entire library of heroes, for free. In LoL as of the date of this post, it would cost $588 to unlock all heroes with real money. (15000RP/$100, total cost heroes 88185 RP. This calculation excludes bundles)

Each character has a unique playstyle and skillset, and doesn't feel like a clone of another character or a cheap rip off. Every character plays a certain role well, and plays it uniquely. Playing well leads to great rewards, and playing poorly has severe consequences.

There are issues with DOTA 2, the biggest being there is a huge learning curve and you are going to start out being bad if you don't have previous DOTA experience. Learning characters skills, what items do, and what you should be doing early mid and late game initially may be overwhelming. However, doing research and practicing eventually pay off as DOTA 2 is truly one of the most challenging and highest skill cap games available. Valve is also implementing (or has implemented) a tutorial, but there is no way the sheer amount of information needed is contained within it. But I'm sure its a great place to start.

Graphics are great. Gameplay is great. Servers seem lag free. Crashes are very rare. ITS FREE!
  73. Jul 13, 2013
    Alright, first of all I'll be the first to admit that DotA has it's own flaws in itself, being a really competitive game but some of the reviews on here are utterly disgusting. So let me bring this up as a Dota2 ex DotA and HoN and LoL player.

If you're transitioning from league of legends, you don't have to worry about runes or stuff like that, since any imbalance caused by that is no trouble to us, secondly, you have ALL the heroes/champions. You can experiment without playing x amount of games for a 6300 IP champion, and doing that about 50 times but you have to keep in mind that DotA has more advanced mechanics and is more punishing.

If you are saying that this games changes you, it's not the game that changes you, it's yourself letting changed by the nature of the game, you become more competitive and forgetting that you are playing with other players.

While I do admit DotA has some minor issues as to the matchmaking system but it's not extremely easy to asses each player's skill and their improvement, it's never been done by machines with 100% success we have to be patient.
    F
    And lastly, please do not talk about the game if you didn't play it extensively and competitively, since some reviews say that vote of surrender IS a feature in dota 2 (it's not). Don't follow the ragers that critic everything just for the sake of being cynical.

All in all this is a REALLY strong game with each hero being unique and strong in itself but keep in mind the advanced mechanics, and if you are new, try practicing with bots, they are pretty okay to start, read guides, don't assume you're the all knowing guy and see you in the game.
  74. Jul 15, 2013
    This game is just perfect, mostly for me: a guy who played dota for a long time, this game can be played by anyone, thing is, DotA 2 is not an intuitive game, you have various tutorials however. I know people can be a bit hostile, I am too, that is because in this game, if someone mess it up real hard, then you most likely lose the game. People have to know which role they are playing andThis game is just perfect, mostly for me: a guy who played dota for a long time, this game can be played by anyone, thing is, DotA 2 is not an intuitive game, you have various tutorials however. I know people can be a bit hostile, I am too, that is because in this game, if someone mess it up real hard, then you most likely lose the game. People have to know which role they are playing and play it at its best in order to win the game, but also, if you play perfectly but your team or some mates doesn't then you probably won't win the game, and if you are competitive like me, then you will get mad haha. But try it out, DotA has a matchmaking system so you will play with other people with the same skills as you probably, you will stand a chance there, and eventually get more skilled. Expand
  75. Jul 16, 2013
    Straight up, the most enthralling, engrossing multiplayer game I've ever experienced. There is no game (imo) that can compete with its complete and total addictiveness and here I am with ~2,000 hours on the game. It doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon. Graphics are amazing, UI is superb, the support from Valve is phenomenal, the heroes are incredibly diverse, and there is an endlessStraight up, the most enthralling, engrossing multiplayer game I've ever experienced. There is no game (imo) that can compete with its complete and total addictiveness and here I am with ~2,000 hours on the game. It doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon. Graphics are amazing, UI is superb, the support from Valve is phenomenal, the heroes are incredibly diverse, and there is an endless amount of strategy to learn in this game. You will never be perfect at the game. EVER. But it keeps bringing you back to learn more. It has a sharp learning curve, BUT IT'S WORTH IT. I love this game, and I don't see myself putting it down within the next 10 years. Expand
  76. Jul 16, 2013
    Gameplay

Gameplay

The gameplay is probably the most exiting and fun part of Dota 2. It's pretty challenging but when you win or kill someone.... the feeling just the FEELING OF OWNING someone is like life at it's greatest. As you progress or lvl up, you get to challenge more challenging opponents and of course the gameplay gets intense too. To win you need to practice more and more but trust me, it will take days, months or even years to be a master player and that's mostly the goal of almost all Dota 2 players: compete to the top (for fun)!

One word: Masterpiece
  77. Jul 16, 2013
    My all time favorite game. Every year new game releases turn up in a cartwheel of hype, everyone buys them like no tomorrow or maybe not, but they do sell regardless. If you look back, you've probably amassed a lot of games, completed a ton of those, but can you still name them all? Do you still play them? Were they worth the price tag? When I was a kid, I used to play a bunch of gamesMy all time favorite game. Every year new game releases turn up in a cartwheel of hype, everyone buys them like no tomorrow or maybe not, but they do sell regardless. If you look back, you've probably amassed a lot of games, completed a ton of those, but can you still name them all? Do you still play them? Were they worth the price tag? When I was a kid, I used to play a bunch of games like Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Beasts & Bumpkins, Age of Empires, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Brood War, Command and Conquer: Red Alert, Heroes of Might and Magic III and a bunch of other games of the time. While I enjoyed them a lot, I eventually didn't get any kind of fresh feeling out of those. While I enjoyed them while they were new and some a bit longer than that, they sooner or later ran out of content. Playing the same things over and over again turned tedious. Newer games, say, Diablo III, gave me about 2 weeks worth of stuff (chest simulation) to do. Hype was massive, reviews were optimistic, but games nowadays tend to be released like that. They have eye candy, but they're really hollow in the end. I never returned to that game. I never returned to Guild Wars 2. I will never play Bioshock Infinite again. Won't be playing Darksiders II, won't be playing Fallout 3. Won't be playing Oblivion or Mass Effect. Now this game, it merely got a facelift, hence the number 2, in case you have never played the original user made map inside Warcraft III. I've however stuck with it for 7-8 years now and I am not tired of it. I am not tired of it because I haven't got a set final goal or task. That's something most games have. They have a plot, chapters, maps or stages and when you're done with them, it is over. I was slightly hesitant to give a perfect 10, because that means perfection to me, but in all honesty, I have never played anything that has even come close to bringing as much joy, ordeal, satisfaction and gratification as this game, so I am going to give it that score. It has the right to get it from me. I got into the beta around October 2011. I have over 4000 hours played. Some has been just chatting, watching games and such, but I am nearing 3000 matches played regardless. I don't think a poor game can make anyone stick with it for that long. No mods yet besides some useless audio mods as jokes, but nothing that could keep you playing other games a bit longer. Just the original content. I don't even think the community is such a pain in the ass.
    At least 95% of all the people in the world are snap judgmental that aren't afraid to step on you if they get any kind of benefit or gratification out of it, but that fact alone doesn't seem to make people want to quit life. It's a team game, thus you probably should have a team or any group of players to play this with, if you are sensitive to the opinions of strangers. It's a game that doesn't fit a casual gamer, the kind of person who plays Angry Birds, Bejeweled or some other time sink of the kind, but it is a fantastic game for people who really are vehemently into games, the kind of niche group that played games before they entered a market of people who need their hands held. I think reviewing games of this nature is a bit hard at the moment, because it's being compared to things where you can choose how easy you want the game to be on you. I think grading Dota is like grading ice hockey. To play, you actually need to know how to use skates, how, when and where to shoot, what doesn't work and such. If you have no talent or are in no shape or form and can't be bothered to gain any of that with sheer will, you're not going to progress. You can't progress by hitting OK, as the game is testing you and your abilities. Even bad players can enjoy it regardless. They just need to accept the fact that games of this kind won't unravel spontaneously before them. The game itself plays a minimal part as your margin for error is at least as big as the skill of your opponent is. The fact that losing and winning is completely up to human co-operation and wits is something that keeps me playing. Casual games can be fun for a while, but they lack something that is essential for longevity and that is intense competition, complex tactics and a desire for knowledge. I might be up for a match of Mario Party with some beer, but I wouldn't do that for months every day or every second day. Maybe the beer, but easy and simple things just get stale fast, as they don't stimulate your brain when they become clear. I'll gladly discuss this game with my friends with a pint, reminisce our big plays, horrible feeding games, make fun of each other for our horrible stats in some games, flaunt how we completely demolished some pro or some total we've all played with, think of good drafts, which pros are huge noobs and so on. Other games are just games to me. I am not into speed running or to any stuff of that sort, so they're just one-night stands to me. To me Dota is a hobby.
  78. Jul 16, 2013
    LISTEN! don't mind negative reviews most of them are obviously made by League of Legends fanboys. If you don't like this review then stick to the critics.

Dota 2 is probably the most addicting game I've ever played. I played the first Dota back in 2008 and it was amazing. Glad Valve developed this game instead of sticking to the Warcraft 3 version. This version is far better because of it's realism and challenges. If you like a fun and challenging game, this game is for you.
  79. Jul 16, 2013
    I played my first game of DotA about 6-7 years ago,and I must say I immediately fell in love with it.I played it a lot and after some time I started playing other games of same genre (League of Legends mostly).I have to confess that i was happy playing LoL and wasn't hyped at all when Dota 2 was announced, I thought it was another try to get money by copying DotA.I was very wrong,Dota 2 isI played my first game of DotA about 6-7 years ago,and I must say I immediately fell in love with it.I played it a lot and after some time I started playing other games of same genre (League of Legends mostly).I have to confess that i was happy playing LoL and wasn't hyped at all when Dota 2 was announced, I thought it was another try to get money by copying DotA.I was very wrong,Dota 2 is the most balanced,fun and strategically complex game I played so far.

Game is focused on gameplay but graphics are very decent.If you are coming from other games of this genre, it may take some time getting used to graphics.For those thinking that graphics are dark and wondering why,there is very good explanation.Terrain is dark so there is greater contrast between terrain and abillity particles(usually bright) so teamfights are more clear.Steam Workshop did a very good job making cosmetics for heroes, making heroes look even better.

As for gameplay its a true skill based game.There are no bonuses you get by spending money and all heroes are playable from start.Game balance is almost perfect(Out of 96 available heroes on tournaments 96 are played at least once in last month).The most amazing thing about Dota 2 is amount of strategies you can play, synergies between heroes, lane combos you can play with friends.Even when you think that everything is hopeless and want to give up, with good timing and team coordiantion you can turn around every game(that is why there is no surrender option in Dota 2).
    The best side of game is it's complexity and in same time it is the worst.There are lot of mechanics that are very important and that you have to know to be a decent player, but once you learn them you will find them very clever and fun.All heroes have strong ability kits and are fun to play.Heroes are very different with very different playstyle, even playing against some hereos require different playstyle.Some heroes are easier to play then others so you may find them stronger at beginning but as you advance as player and learn how to deal with them you will realise they are not that good.Although game is updated every week, there are only couple of balance patches a year.Many people dislike fact that there are 4-5 new heroes added each year, but development team philosophy is to add heroes not for the sake of adding, but to improve the game.

As for community I must say its very complex.Some people will rage at you, blame you, even troll you.I think that is kinda expected from online F2P game, but as you play more games you will get bigger MMR(match make rating) and you will rarely see this kind of people.Since there is report system most of ragers and trolls are banned/muted.Many people will complain about community, but in reality community is much more mature and friendly then in other F2P multiplayer games.

DotA/Dota 2 as an Esport is a game played at almost every Esport event.In my opinion its in Top 3 Esport(others are Starcraft and Counter-Strike) of all time.Biggest tournament is The International which gathers best teams of the world to compete for 2-3 million dollars prize pool.Dota 2 scene is constantly growing, and it is a game that is very fun to watch (You can even bet with Cosmetic items on some sites making watching games even more fun).Games are watchable through in-game Dota 2 TV that is most amazing spectator client i have ever seen.You can watch games through player's perspective that alows you to see every action of player you are watching (His Cursor ,Screen...),listen to your favorite commentators and there is option to see different type of graphs and statistics available.

It is highly recommended to play tutorial before playing against other players.Since at beginning you are matched with players who also created new account your first 10-20 games might be against DotA veteran or complete noobs,but it will get better after those ten game.Bad games can happen to everyone(even professional players have bad games from time to time), so If you play bad in some game and feed just say you are sorry and 99% of time team won't flame you.Watching guids helps a lot aswell (Purge and Merlini Recomended).There are even mini-guides created by community you can find ingame in top-left corner.Playing this kind of game with friends is much better.By the way if you don't know Russian you will learn a great deal of it (trust me :D).

At the end Dota 2 is not the game you will play and master in couple of hours.Skillcap is enormous and even professional players can't play all heroes very well.Every game of Dota 2 is a new lesson that will improve you as a player.If you are looking for game to play without spending much time learing it ,this is not the game you are looking for.

Note:Some reviews will bash this game,players and mechanics although they never played it before.Its mostly because of rivalry betwen Dota 2 and LoL.
  80. Jul 16, 2013
    Don't listen to the League Of Legend fan plastering this with negative reviews.

Critics have done a bang up job for the most part reviewing this game, and the score shows just how good this game is. People giving this a 5 or lower are obviously not in touch with reality and truly need to be ignored. This game is deep, too deep for a review here, go read a few of the professional
    Don't listen to the League Of Legend fan plastering this with negative reviews.

This game is deep, too deep for a review here, go read a few of the professional reviews and you won't be disappointed.
  81. Jul 16, 2013
    Despite the steep learning curve, dota 2 is very fun and rewarding. Best played with friend[s] to avoid the wrath of the internet thats bound to happen every now and then in this very competitive game.
  82. Jul 16, 2013
    The oringinal sequal of DOTA!!!Fabulous!!!
    Dota 2 gives us a unique chance to experience the original DOTA experience!!
    The best MOBA game in the world.
    Thanks icefrog and valve for creating so much fun in dota 2
    I love this game so much!
  83. Jul 16, 2013
    In all my years of gaming (they have been many), no other game has been able to grasp my interest for as long and as passionate as this game has done it. Dota has an addicting combination of strategy and rpg; the balance of the game is a testament to the years of work and continuous feedback from the community. Valve has now taken the game to a whole new level with Dota 2, improving theIn all my years of gaming (they have been many), no other game has been able to grasp my interest for as long and as passionate as this game has done it. Dota has an addicting combination of strategy and rpg; the balance of the game is a testament to the years of work and continuous feedback from the community. Valve has now taken the game to a whole new level with Dota 2, improving the graphics and expanding on the features that DotA needed so badly for years, yet leaving the game play exactly as its predecessor (which is a great thing!) Expand
  84. Jul 16, 2013
    DotA2 is for people who want constant action, unbelievable variation and plays in pro games, and those "Holy F**k that was epic" moments.

LoL is for people who want slow steady, yet rewarding success, with slightly less PvP action in favour of PvE efficiency. Personally, I only play games for the crazy epic moments that blow my mind. Not saying LoL doesn't have that, I just get way

Personally, I only play games for the crazy epic moments that blow my mind. Not saying LoL doesn't have that, I just get way more of it out of DotA. All the MM/community problems will eventually be ironed out of DotA just like it was ironed out of LoL.
  85. Jul 16, 2013
    A true masterpiece and a milestone in gaming, this sequel to a genre-definer that is now just bursting in a global scale is a great point of reference to anyone attempting to make a game of this genre. Great graphics, amazing sound and voice design, and rich backstories in every corner are just some of the features that make Dota 2 great. But it's major strong point is the depth in itsA true masterpiece and a milestone in gaming, this sequel to a genre-definer that is now just bursting in a global scale is a great point of reference to anyone attempting to make a game of this genre. Great graphics, amazing sound and voice design, and rich backstories in every corner are just some of the features that make Dota 2 great. But it's major strong point is the depth in its mechanics.

While Dota 2's gameplay might seem daunting at first, it's one of the best and more engaging ever seen in a game, and learning it is just one of the reasons why this game is addicting. Other games such as League of Legends end up falling short because their devs decided to cut much from the original formula, but Dota 2 kept it intact, and makes sure you learn something new everyday.

Not only the core game is strong, but also the eSport scene surrounding it is amazing and growing, with several tournaments going on, including Valve's own The International. At the time of release, the game looks like a train with no brakes, about to crash against its competitors and run them over, raising the bar on the genre with a myriad of awesome features that perfectly compliment an awesome game.
  86. Jul 16, 2013
    DotA is one of those games which define an important aspect of my life. I started playing dota before Frozen Throne even came out at my best friend's house and we used to skip school and wait for his dad to go to work in order sneak into his window and play dota all day. I have never gone more than a year since then without playing dota and now in Dota 2 I have almost 500 wins. I live inDotA is one of those games which define an important aspect of my life. I started playing dota before Frozen Throne even came out at my best friend's house and we used to skip school and wait for his dad to go to work in order sneak into his window and play dota all day. I have never gone more than a year since then without playing dota and now in Dota 2 I have almost 500 wins. I live in the Philippines now and it is the one way that my brother, cousin and I keep in touch and hang out. Expand
  87. Jul 16, 2013
    Dota is a game that most people will hate because, as Purge famously stated it, "Welcome to Dota 2, you suck." You will be terrible at the game for hundreds of hours, and you'll then realize how terrible you are, and then you'll start trying to actually get better only to realize you're nowhere as good as you thought you'd be after spending two thousand hours in-game. But don't let thatDota is a game that most people will hate because, as Purge famously stated it, "Welcome to Dota 2, you suck." You will be terrible at the game for hundreds of hours, and you'll then realize how terrible you are, and then you'll start trying to actually get better only to realize you're nowhere as good as you thought you'd be after spending two thousand hours in-game. But don't let that discourage you! Expand
  88. Jul 16, 2013
    Valve has worked hard to make DotA 2 a success and it really show. The game plays very well and other than unit boxing it feels very responsive. The balance the game strike is quite good, there aren't any heroes that stand leaps and bounds above the rest. Every hero has it's place and situation it will shine in which adds another layer of complexity to the game. Not only do you need toValve has worked hard to make DotA 2 a success and it really show. The game plays very well and other than unit boxing it feels very responsive. The balance the game strike is quite good, there aren't any heroes that stand leaps and bounds above the rest. Every hero has it's place and situation it will shine in which adds another layer of complexity to the game. Not only do you need to know how to play the heroes you need to know when to play them.

Overall great game, if you're into RTS games or MOBA's definitely give DotA 2 a good shot.
  89. Jul 17, 2013
    With 600+ hours put into this game, I can truthfully say that anyone complaining about a poorly designed matchmaking system is sadly mistaken. Due to the numerous intricacies involved with having a 'good game', most new players will blame the aforementioned (matchmaking). Watching any competitive match will only justify this. Most players have a difficult time with this game due to whatWith 600+ hours put into this game, I can truthfully say that anyone complaining about a poorly designed matchmaking system is sadly mistaken. Due to the numerous intricacies involved with having a 'good game', most new players will blame the aforementioned (matchmaking). Watching any competitive match will only justify this. Most players have a difficult time with this game due to what is called 'Solo Mid Syndrome'; attributing a bad game to one of the numerous possible things that will cause your team to lose.

Recommendations for a new player: Play with friends. Find a mentor. If you can't do this, keep playing until you learn a character and win a game. Pulling out a W in an extremely difficult game, with quite possibly the highest skill cap of any game out there, will give a feeling of elation.

Most importantly, read the below link and pay attention. This is not a game for the weak willed.

90. Nov 14, 2013
    DOTA 2 is the best game in its genre due to the variety of heroes and game modes it provides and most importantly it's free without any pay-to-win features. Matchmaking system needs some improvement but other than that it's flaws are minimal.
  91. Jul 17, 2013
    The game runs great, carrying the brilliant albeit somewhat unintuitive nature of the wc3 mod to a stand-alone Engine.

It's definitely clear that Valve puts lots of consideration and dedication into their work, Dota 2 is nothing short of superb.
  92. Jul 17, 2013
    Dota 2: simplemente no es un juego. es una pasion. creado por valve. que ya es mucho decir. con el gran empeño de IceFrog. Completamente gratis. 0% Pay2Win.
    Puedes jugar horas y horas sin cancarte.
    Las mecanicas son 100% excelentes Heroes balanceados. La verdad no se que decir. Esto es increible. ya hace 7 años juego DotA y 2 Dota 2. Simplemente el juego mas adictivo que juge en estos
    Puedes jugar horas y horas sin cancarte.
    Las mecanicas son 100% excelentes
    Heroes balanceados.
    La verdad no se que decir. Esto es increible. ya hace 7 años juego DotA y 2 Dota 2. Simplemente el juego mas adictivo que juge en estos 20 años de videojuegos.
  93. Jul 17, 2013
    Extremely fun and addictive game. Gameplay is complex but still fun even if you're only a casual gamer.

Only problem is that it's a little hard to learn for a complete beginner, but that has recently been fixed with in-game tutorials.
  94. Jul 17, 2013
    The best strategy/co-op multiplayer game ever. A lot of efects, and too many heroes and itens for you to play. It nevers get bored. I definitely recommend this game.
  95. Jul 17, 2013
    Many heroes that differ greatly differ and each is truly a special and despite this diversity which is the balance very well. The game play is perfect desert I mean what can be improved. In Dota 2 tournaments are held constant. Another nice fact is that it is the game soon for Linux and Mac give.
  96. Jul 17, 2013
    Wasn't this hard to make the switch from League to DotA2. The Tutorial and Campaign is more than awesome and the game binds you from the first minute. An outstanding Moba and definitively the best Moba at the market.
  97. Jul 17, 2013
    It's an Awesome game,Perfect at both video and audio quality. And it have all the good parts from DOTA1 and be taken out BUGs.DOTA2 is DOTA!! Game matching still not perfect but it's way hard to judge the power level of both sides' player. Absolute balance power is impossible.But Valve is still improving it~~Thx Valve and Icefrog,and Eul~~
  98. Jul 17, 2013
    Been playing this game for soo long since the first dota and I have to say that this is the best multiplayer online battle arena out there. Although, League of Legends maybe the more popular one Dota 2 is definitely the better game, graphics, mechanics and balance wise. They did pretty well with retaining the balance of both sides from the original game and it has been a very enjoyableBeen playing this game for soo long since the first dota and I have to say that this is the best multiplayer online battle arena out there. Although, League of Legends maybe the more popular one Dota 2 is definitely the better game, graphics, mechanics and balance wise. They did pretty well with retaining the balance of both sides from the original game and it has been a very enjoyable experience for me. Expand
  99. fwb
    Jul 17, 2013
    I've played dota since it started as a small community 10 years ago (dota 1), and noticed that no matter what other popular online multiplayer games I tried (counter strike, world of warcraft, team fortress, etc), I always came back to dota. I thought I was weird, but now am happy to see dota get the attention it deserves. Dota's re-playability is unlimited. Because there are 100+I've played dota since it started as a small community 10 years ago (dota 1), and noticed that no matter what other popular online multiplayer games I tried (counter strike, world of warcraft, team fortress, etc), I always came back to dota. I thought I was weird, but now am happy to see dota get the attention it deserves. Dota's re-playability is unlimited. Because there are 100+ characters to choose from, you can play literally thousands of matches and no two games will be alike. It's a tough, teamwork-centric, competitive game with a steep and limitless learning curve which may not be for everyone, but if you are into those types of games, this is the best of its type, hands-down. Expand
  100. Jul 18, 2013
    Played the first one a lot...have about 1300 hours in this one. THE BEST MOBA GAME EVER CREATED!
    It improves on every single thing that was bad in the first...and lets face it,whoever played DOTA 1 is BOUND to LOVE THIS ONE :D

Dota 2 best moba game hands down

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.