6.4

1. Nov 6, 2013
    The tutorial is commendable but for those who never play RTS or RPG games it's still confusing as hell. There's no dexterity required for this game as it's purely tactics (yes, tactics not strategy like chess) but with the wealth of characters and stupid number of items, it's nearly impossible to even begin to understand this game. Graphics are bad, it's slow and feels unpolished. BoringThe tutorial is commendable but for those who never play RTS or RPG games it's still confusing as hell. There's no dexterity required for this game as it's purely tactics (yes, tactics not strategy like chess) but with the wealth of characters and stupid number of items, it's nearly impossible to even begin to understand this game. Graphics are bad, it's slow and feels unpolished. Boring and overly complex. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2013
    Tactically speaking there is a lot more to this than most basic pvp fests. Even playing against bots can be fun. I have to say I wasn't expecting when I got on this page such a huge backlash but then I guess we're talking about the kind of people for whom a game that costs you nothing and is lovingly crafted and designed just isn't good enough,
  3. Apr 26, 2014
    These types of games don't always play to my strengths, but DOTA 2 is a nice update to the genre it represents and feels a bit easier to ease into than League of Legends. I can't say if it's better or worse since I've put in maybe 10 hours or so into LoL, but DOTA 2 is more fun than I thought a F2P game would be and helps me be a little bit more focused on things like proper itemThese types of games don't always play to my strengths, but DOTA 2 is a nice update to the genre it represents and feels a bit easier to ease into than League of Legends. I can't say if it's better or worse since I've put in maybe 10 hours or so into LoL, but DOTA 2 is more fun than I thought a F2P game would be and helps me be a little bit more focused on things like proper item acquisition and basic strategies from the start instead of forcing me to learn it all on my own. Since it's free I could call this a "10" for its return on investment, but it's really much of what you'd expect from this genre. Definitely give it a try. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2013
    I've never been a big MOBA player and I really, REALLY suck at RTS games or any game that requires real time strategy: this point shows an opinion from an outsider, and not a veteran, as I just randomly got into this game and played for over 100 hours. Dota 2 is considered to this day "THE" MOBA game and it's impossible to deny that a lot of veterans and old gamers of the old version haveI've never been a big MOBA player and I really, REALLY suck at RTS games or any game that requires real time strategy: this point shows an opinion from an outsider, and not a veteran, as I just randomly got into this game and played for over 100 hours. Dota 2 is considered to this day "THE" MOBA game and it's impossible to deny that a lot of veterans and old gamers of the old version have both gripes and angers upon this game for changes and whatever: like I said, I'll just say what I think as a random gamer. And that is, this game is excellent...for a free to play game. For starters, the game already lets you use EVERY hero in the roster from the start with NO money required to buy other avatars: that is a HUGE pro because, as many know, in other f2p MOBA games (like LoL) you need to buy with real money the other heroes (or be extremely patient), or else you'll be stuck with a few bunches every week that changes sporadically. This also means that the only thing you can buy are costumes and keys for crates, which unlock other costumes or parts...just like tf2 (afterall it's also a game of Valve). But that's it actually: the game asks nothing else from us and the fact that you HAVE all the heroes at once means a HUGE longevity from the start: every hero is unique in their skillsets and have an unique design that are kinda fascinating (sure, there are exceptions, but if I had to make examples, it would take all day); the statuses and the levelling upgrades are very well programmed, since that you only need to check out for 6 stats :Attack, defense, speed and the 3 main stats, which are strength, agility and intelligence; these last stats are also how the heroes are splitted, which basically means that the items you will need are gonna be more or less effective, depending on your main attribute, which will increase BOTH your damage AND whatever the stat grants: for example strength increase hp, agility increases armor and attack speed, and intelligence gives you more mana and mana regenration. With the items splitted into 3 stats plus other statuses (and with also items that give unique abilities and many active items), you can see that, on paper, the game is very big and "complete" from the get go. Of course though, with a big roster of heroes, we also have a lot of issues with balancing: heroes are splitted into various roles that can do also multiple roles, and these roles also define their main focus on the match and how they must be played That it's actually well done...for the most part. Sure, some heroes WILL be more powerful than others and WILL need a lot of effort to take down, but at the same time you'll see their weaknesses from the instant you'll try to fight them, showing a balance...to a certain degree, since some heroes are extremely powerful that, while not being overpowered, they CAN be the ruination of the match. In the end, also, it's also up to the player, since every character have a weakness that must be exploited to take them down (Stealth based heroes, for instance, require a dust to take them down or you won't be able to spot them anymore). Enough of good points...what's rotten instead? There are various issues in the game like the difficulty that REALLY requires a lot of training in practice mode but, if I have to pick one in particular, it's gonna be...

The community.

This isn't the worst community ever...but sure is annoying! Don't take me wrong though, EVERY SINGLE ONLINE GAME has at least a part of community that can't stop annoy other people, so I can't really say it's the biggest problem of the game (or else every mmo or online game in existence would have a zero just because of the community). But yes, the community can be a problem: in many matches I've played, there was, AT BEST, one leaver from one of the teams...if not 2 or more: that means that if a player leaves, that match is gonna be a loss or a tough fight, because there's NO substitution of players; I heard they were planning some sort of player switching and I do hope so because I've seen so many matches lost because of one "insert insult" decided that not getting a first blood means we fail as a team. But I'll be honest saying that, while I've seen MANY bad players, I've also had many good people willing to cooperate and I rarely met too many "insert insult" willing to ruin the mood and the game, so I consider myself lucky to have played many good matches, without mentioning some matches won with huge disadvantage (I once won 3 against 5, but also lost 5 against 2!). Other issues are probably the items in the shop, which can be expensive too...but that's entirely for looks and nothing else, so it does't count. Probably there are other minor issues but I can't much, except that Dota 2, as a MOBA game, it's very complete and deep, with no restrictions on how to start: you can start anytime, and you can pick any hero and enjoy until you want, either improving or just for relaxing. The limit is only your patience.
  5. Aug 31, 2014
    This game seems like fun but beware, the community will be will very rude to you if you haven't somehow managed to get good at the game without ever having played it. I received so much abuse from other players that I had to quit out. It could have been because I chose one of the most important characters and my ineptness was causing people to lost the game, but still...
  6. ERB
    Aug 2, 2013
    DOTA 2 is probably one of the best games this year.It is fun playing this games and every challenges is very challenging.Still this game should be on the top this year.
  7. May 17, 2014
    After you get past the learning curve, this game will give you the best PvP adrenaline rush you could possibly want. Great to play with friends and even on your own.
  8. Aug 15, 2013
    Extremely difficult to get into, but once you find a few characters your good at you'll start doing well and having fun. In the span of one match with Tusk I went from 1-5-3 to 4-5-8 by just getting the hang of the character in one match. DOTA 2 is definitely a step over LOL in the difficulty department, so i would use LoL as a starter to learn how to play MOAB games, then once you getExtremely difficult to get into, but once you find a few characters your good at you'll start doing well and having fun. In the span of one match with Tusk I went from 1-5-3 to 4-5-8 by just getting the hang of the character in one match. DOTA 2 is definitely a step over LOL in the difficulty department, so i would use LoL as a starter to learn how to play MOAB games, then once you get good at that jump into DOTA. Overall I do enjoy LoL a little more, but DOTA is something i like to switch to to keep my MOAB experience fresh. Expand
  9. Jul 21, 2013
    Few games manage to be both entertaining as well as extremely challenging, with a high learning curve, tons of different classes, customuzation, and in-game item builds. The game looks gorgeous, matches are lengthy, the community is friendly and well groomed, and the gameplay is as solid as it can get.
  10. Dec 5, 2013
    When I decided to give this a try, I was already aware of its infamous reputation for being harmful. All of the negative rumors you hear are true. It will make the most friendly of people aggressively competitive, while ignoring the game's extremely low fun factor.

Dota 2 is bad.
  11. Sep 18, 2013
    This is the crack cocaine equivalent of a videogame. It is addictive because of the mix of uncertainty of who you will be facing, combined with high adrenaline button mashing. APM matters, but after 40 minutes it is just as easy to find a very frustrating defeat as glorious victory. This keeps me coming for more, but after a few days I find that there's no real fun in this game just theThis is the crack cocaine equivalent of a videogame. It is addictive because of the mix of uncertainty of who you will be facing, combined with high adrenaline button mashing. APM matters, but after 40 minutes it is just as easy to find a very frustrating defeat as glorious victory. This keeps me coming for more, but after a few days I find that there's no real fun in this game just the same addictive mechanics over and over again. I'm forced to play the hero I'm best at, not the hero I like, or the team loses, and there's nothing fun about losing. Speaking of this, there's nothing fun about winning either. At least LOL had leveling system where there's some reward for winning. This is just addictive. Expand
  12. Aug 31, 2014
    If you liked original dota like me, you will like Dota 2. Dota 2 is same as original Dota with upgraded graphics and controls. Plays still 5v5 in some mods like random pick (random heroes). I am glad Valve did not changed game play of original dota. I know some people expected more than old dota in better graphics, but i am glad it is still same game. I recommend to try this game, its freeIf you liked original dota like me, you will like Dota 2. Dota 2 is same as original Dota with upgraded graphics and controls. Plays still 5v5 in some mods like random pick (random heroes). I am glad Valve did not changed game play of original dota. I know some people expected more than old dota in better graphics, but i am glad it is still same game. I recommend to try this game, its free after all. Just if you did not liked original Dota, you wont like Dota 2.

On the other hand this game got horrible community full of nerds raging just about anything. If you want to start plaing this game, or got friend who who wants to start play this game, get prepared for raging nerds. I really didnot seen so many ragin idiots in dota 1, well i guest its because it was Warcraft 3 mod, but this game got the worst community i ever seen. Even CoD community is great in compare to Dota 2 community.
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    The game has good and bad points.
    The good: So nice graphics, good improvements (then dota 1)...
    The bad: The game dont have feling, i dont like the separete market...
  14. Aug 21, 2013
    This is by far Valve's best F2P game so far, way better than Team Fortress 2 and Alien Swarm combined, and even better than League of Legends. It may not be Steam's biggest game or PC's biggest online game, but this one has some great potential even with the great tutorials, skirmish plays, online plays, graphics, mechanics and the elements. Even better, there's no need to pay for gettingThis is by far Valve's best F2P game so far, way better than Team Fortress 2 and Alien Swarm combined, and even better than League of Legends. It may not be Steam's biggest game or PC's biggest online game, but this one has some great potential even with the great tutorials, skirmish plays, online plays, graphics, mechanics and the elements. Even better, there's no need to pay for getting and playing a better hero and of course there are lots of choices and options to choose for a hero except for paying the clothing. This game could be more worth the sequel if more map types and modes are added similar to LoL. Expand
  15. Dec 21, 2014
    Playing This game for a long time and it is still fun! Together with my friends we always have fun playing this game. The Game Improved great! Challenging other people's heroes,Teamwork is really needed and must be the first thing keep in mind,don't Be an **** 2 is great Moba game!
  16. May 15, 2014
    This game started out as creative and innovative, but has since fallen into the trap of moneyhatting. This game is all about making money, and the fans get disregarded. Also, 90% of the players are a$$holes and treat nOObs like $hit, which kind of hurts the game's appeal. Then it updates EVERY DAY. Annoyed, I deleted it.
  17. Aug 7, 2013
    Good grief, another amazing video game by VALVe! I was shocked when I heard the announcement that VALVe was publishing this game. After all, this game was originally a mod for Warcraft III, a really fun strategy game made by Blizzard Entertainment for the PC. VALVe is a company well known for their first person shooters (Half-Life, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike), so I was wondering whyGood grief, another amazing video game by VALVe! I was shocked when I heard the announcement that VALVe was publishing this game. After all, this game was originally a mod for Warcraft III, a really fun strategy game made by Blizzard Entertainment for the PC. VALVe is a company well known for their first person shooters (Half-Life, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike), so I was wondering why they were even entering Blizzard's territory with this game. My questions were soon put to rest when I played the game. All I can say is that this game is simply amazing. To start, the gameplay is a mixture between Real-Time Strategy and role-playing games. In this game however, you are not controlling your factions, you are only controlling your heroes. Basically, your heroes level up over time like in a Role-playing game, and the way you control them is like a strategy game. This is actually quite a good mixture. It worked in Warcraft III, and it works perfectly here. However, there is more to the gameplay than just that. This game pits two mighty teams against each other (the radiant and the dire). One side is noticeably more heroic, guarding a lush green forest, while the other is noticeably darker, guarding an ashen wasteland. The overall goal is to destroy the enemy team's ancient (base of operations). To do this, you really need to coordinate with your teammates, and let them know what is happening around the battlefield. I think that this is a very good approach, especially considering that the game is entirely multiplayer. The graphics of this game are also quite good. Everything is quite beautiful, and enjoyable for anyone who loves video game graphics. There is no real story to this game, which although I have criticized in the past, I don't feel the need to here. All of the characters in this game have their own stories to read if you ever want a good story in this game. There is only one real complaint that I have with this game as a matter of fact. This game does have a very steep learning curve. It is easy to learn, but incredibly difficult to master. You need to find a hero that suits your playstyle, which if you ask me, can take ages to figure out considering that there are over one-hundred of them. However, having over one-hundred heroes is not a bad thing. In fact, I'd say it's a great thing. It gives you so much more variety on what kind of hero you can play as. Overall, I'd say that this is another fantastic game by VALVe software. It is ultra-competitive, fast, furious, and one heck of a lot of fun. It's steep learning curve may be a tad bit problematic, however, that does not stop me from awarding this game with a 9 out of 10. Expand
  18. May 17, 2014
    This game is the best MOBA ever. Some peoples says "League Of Legend is better than Dota", but League Of Legend is a copy of Dota (it's my opinion). But we are don't here to discuss about the Dota/League Of Legend fight. I want to say my opinion about Dota 2, and my opinion is very positive ! This game has no limit, you never get bored ! This is so fabulous ! I think Dota has a greatThis game is the best MOBA ever. Some peoples says "League Of Legend is better than Dota", but League Of Legend is a copy of Dota (it's my opinion). But we are don't here to discuss about the Dota/League Of Legend fight. I want to say my opinion about Dota 2, and my opinion is very positive ! This game has no limit, you never get bored ! This is so fabulous ! I think Dota has a great future, and will remain for some years a very popular and great game ! Expand
  19. Jan 11, 2014
    Very amazing, great graphics, gameplay, and community. Better than LOL, guardians of middle earth, torchlight, and any moba game out there!

20. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 2 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 7 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 3 out of 10, Multi-player: 9 out of 10, Length: 6 out of 10, Re-play: 9 out of 10, Value: 9 out of 10
  21. Nov 1, 2013
    I can see that Dota 2 is definitely a great game but to be honest its not my cup of tea. The number of gameplay options is immense with so many heroes to pick and the number is slowly increasing. The graphics and sound is also great. My main issue with this game however, is the community. If you're just getting into the game be warned that the community will eat you alive. The last timeI can see that Dota 2 is definitely a great game but to be honest its not my cup of tea. The number of gameplay options is immense with so many heroes to pick and the number is slowly increasing. The graphics and sound is also great. My main issue with this game however, is the community. If you're just getting into the game be warned that the community will eat you alive. The last time I played a match I was abused to hell. Not going to play this again I'd think. Expand
  22. Jan 7, 2014
    There is no point in playing this game. Seriously, think about it. You win a couple of matches, then what? You get a few items, then what? It's the same map, over and over again. The same heroes, the same ability spams, everything's the same. Where does it end? Nothing ever changes. You might get an item every now and then, which you can't sell/trade unless you spend real money on otherThere is no point in playing this game. Seriously, think about it. You win a couple of matches, then what? You get a few items, then what? It's the same map, over and over again. The same heroes, the same ability spams, everything's the same. Where does it end? Nothing ever changes. You might get an item every now and then, which you can't sell/trade unless you spend real money on other non-existent items. What would be the point of getting better at this thing? The game exists solely to cash in on people's nostalgia/boredom/stupidity. Nothing more. Basically, you'd be paying valve to not care what you think, to pair you with spoiled children or bored idiots that have no real life accomplishments so that you may be flamed and insulted because of their own incompetence. Why would any normal person play this game, is beyond comprehension. Utterly pointless. Expand
  23. Aug 16, 2013
    Re-review. I tried to get into Dota 2. I can get past the gloomy graphics and all the vocal toxic players but I simply don't have fun Dota 2. Owning people in dota2 doesn't feel good. The animations in this game are smooth and look good, but skill sounds and animations don't make me feel good, there's just something missing in Dota 2. Honestly, I feel restricted, I feel like I'm playing inRe-review. I tried to get into Dota 2. I can get past the gloomy graphics and all the vocal toxic players but I simply don't have fun Dota 2. Owning people in dota2 doesn't feel good. The animations in this game are smooth and look good, but skill sounds and animations don't make me feel good, there's just something missing in Dota 2. Honestly, I feel restricted, I feel like I'm playing in a box and it makes the pace feel slow.

I have to praise it's item and stat system though. There are a of items with interesting actives. Also leads don't mean a lot, you can come back from anything and with buy-back unlike other MOBAs which have many games which are drawn out, boring, predictable, sometimes just a facepalm montage and tedious to play. This game has had tons of time and alterations so I doubt the balance is bad. I felt like I really wasn't giving it enough credit because I didn't enjoy it.
  24. Sep 12, 2013
    I always avoided MOBAs because I didn't deem myself smart enough to be able to play them. I still do, but at least now I'm trying, and with that comes the realization of how detailed and complex the mechanics are and... I don't know, it really is interesting. Add to that that the product is wrapped with Valve's style (graphics, voice responses, all those little things) and there you haveI always avoided MOBAs because I didn't deem myself smart enough to be able to play them. I still do, but at least now I'm trying, and with that comes the realization of how detailed and complex the mechanics are and... I don't know, it really is interesting. Add to that that the product is wrapped with Valve's style (graphics, voice responses, all those little things) and there you have it: the perfect storm. Well, it's hardly a random thing such as a "storm", it's pretty much Valve's MO to take a good idea from some kind of old mod and give it full attention with these things to ornate and make it its own product. It's not for everyone, but like it or not, able to play it or not, it's just well made. Expand
  25. Jan 15, 2014
    DOTA is probably the best representative of the genre MOBA. People who previously played LoL may have problems with the mechanics of the game. Valve game is harder than the competition of Riot Games does not mean it is bad. The visuals look very high level, and the sound is also not bad. The only thing that rejected me from the game is quite high require further hardware. As far as LoLDOTA is probably the best representative of the genre MOBA. People who previously played LoL may have problems with the mechanics of the game. Valve game is harder than the competition of Riot Games does not mean it is bad. The visuals look very high level, and the sound is also not bad. The only thing that rejected me from the game is quite high require further hardware. As far as LoL goes on older computers so much DOTA may have a problem with that. As for the heroes they are less than LoL but are more balanced. Community is quite good, and the flamer hits once every 4-5 matches. If DOTA had lower requirements would be among my favorite games. Expand
  26. Jul 10, 2013
    There's 2 things about Dota 2 it's completely free and it's developed by VALVe. If that's not enough for you to try this game I don't know what is. The only thing that you have to spend in order to play this game is time. That's right, Dota 2 is not like most other games and that's because it's very complex, so be patient, learn the mechanics and once it's in your system then you'll startThere's 2 things about Dota 2 it's completely free and it's developed by VALVe. If that's not enough for you to try this game I don't know what is. The only thing that you have to spend in order to play this game is time. That's right, Dota 2 is not like most other games and that's because it's very complex, so be patient, learn the mechanics and once it's in your system then you'll start having a hell lot of fun. I wouldn't recommend it if you're a casual gamer and can't be bothered to invest that time. If that's the case and you want to play a MOBA then that's where LoL comes in. If you already play LoL and want something more challenging and more rewarding then by all means try Dota 2. Plus it has way better graphics, great character customization and doesn't require any money to unlock heroes (which I find very frustrating in LoL). It is also more balanced imo. As for the community, well it's still a MOBA so don't expect too much, although it's not so bad. Expand
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    Ok, so, DotA 2 is going to be what makes e-sports a mainstream thing in the West like it is over in S. Korea w/ Starcraft. I really believe this. Valve has done a simply amazing job of bringing the game over into its own while retaining the character and solid mechanics of its WC3 counterpart. It's a highly challenging game that will immerse you for hours, the support of the pro scene isOk, so, DotA 2 is going to be what makes e-sports a mainstream thing in the West like it is over in S. Korea w/ Starcraft. I really believe this. Valve has done a simply amazing job of bringing the game over into its own while retaining the character and solid mechanics of its WC3 counterpart. It's a highly challenging game that will immerse you for hours, the support of the pro scene is phenomenal, and the little holiday events that Valve puts on just ads to the charm of the game. The characters are well developed and feel unique not only in their gameplay styles, but also in their personalities. They do not feel static, but feel very alive, just like an RPG should. It's the perfect blend. If you're into games that are addicting, have high skill caps, e-sports, team play, and community, then definitely try DotA. The community CAN be a little brutal sometimes, but once you find some good, mature, and patient friends to play with, that's when this game really shines. Their matchmaking system would be my only complaint. They are still sorting it and are actively looking at ways to improve it, but it's really put a damper on the game since its launch. The temporary issues with MM aside, this game is an absolute masterpiece. What could you expect from Valve though? These guys are the new Blizzard. Collapse
  28. Aug 7, 2013
    Wasn't sure what to think about this game when alex introduced it to me. I found it hard to believe that there were league and championships dedicated to play this let alone the hype behind it, though that could be my doupts due to it's link with blizzard.

It's very fun and here Valve are just laughing at the bank with the game as people loved the origonal so much. In this case, you might as well just give your money to valve, it's making that much. Very fun RPG, yet hard to explain. You get to pick a character, level him/her/it up and the objective is to destroy the enemy base.

Each base creates small creatures called "creeps" and you gain gold for xp by killing creeps and destroying towers. In this case the creeps are red-shirts, running into battle and no real loss when they die. You can download it for free, spectator a match and see what you think. what do you have to lose?

Since then they've exited beta and now you can take on a tutorial to learn more about the game rarther than put up with the difficult learning curve that I had to suffer with having never touched Dota2 before.
  29. Sep 21, 2013
    Its a great game!!! I waited for 3-4 hours for the game to finish downloading. Its worth downloading the game. The graphics are good. Firstly, it felt nothing but after i allocated some time learning to get used to the game. Its hell amazing. It was a great experience playing the game. This game has sophisticated mechanics which are even better than LoL game. This is a must try for allIts a great game!!! I waited for 3-4 hours for the game to finish downloading. Its worth downloading the game. The graphics are good. Firstly, it felt nothing but after i allocated some time learning to get used to the game. Its hell amazing. It was a great experience playing the game. This game has sophisticated mechanics which are even better than LoL game. This is a must try for all online game lovers of this kinds of games!!!! Expand
  30. May 22, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    It may have not started the MOBA gender when it first came out as a custom map for Warcraft 3 in 2003 (because the custom map for StarCraft 1 called Aeons of Strife did that) but it's the KING of moba & also the hardest to master. I've played it since late 2009.

My only problem with this game is the low priority thing: you cannot teach players how to behave, Valve. You are definetely not encouraging players to come back with this heavy LP law. People are not bad by nature, don't punish them. In a 45 minute to sometimes over an hour match life could call at any moment: wife pregnant, feeder ruining the game or whatever - people naturally want to leave if there's a problem. You are encouraging bad behaviour actually with LP and let's not mention that people in LP can't leave the game safely if someone else does - remove it entirely.
  31. Jul 16, 2013
    I love the game. I played original DotA, HoN and tried Smite and LoL. For me Dota 2 is the best of the bunch. Entirely free, no pay2win aspect, everything in the game is unlocked, purchable are only cosmetics, no content or powerups. The balance is great due to 8+ years of tweaking by icefrog. Enormously high skill ceiling and an extremely hard game to get into. Some jerks here and thereI love the game. I played original DotA, HoN and tried Smite and LoL. For me Dota 2 is the best of the bunch. Entirely free, no pay2win aspect, everything in the game is unlocked, purchable are only cosmetics, no content or powerups. The balance is great due to 8+ years of tweaking by icefrog. Enormously high skill ceiling and an extremely hard game to get into. Some jerks here and there can ruin games for you, as is the case in most mobas. Overall a great successor. 9/10 Expand
  32. Aug 13, 2013
    A game with some serious depth. Millions of hero and lane combos not to mention item builds, it is a little bit daunting. Fortunately for new players and hell even experienced ones, there are co-op and single player bot matches for you to practice and experiment new things against. The community has its ups and downs and people are quick to abuse and blame others for the team's misgivings.A game with some serious depth. Millions of hero and lane combos not to mention item builds, it is a little bit daunting. Fortunately for new players and hell even experienced ones, there are co-op and single player bot matches for you to practice and experiment new things against. The community has its ups and downs and people are quick to abuse and blame others for the team's misgivings. But you will also come across many friendly players as well who are quick to dish out praise, teach unfamiliar players and work as a team. The experience is made more fun with friends, but beware, relationships may be strained at times. Expand
  33. Dec 8, 2013
    Lets put it this way. Not only is it the best MOBA game, it is the game that redefines what F2P means. Everything is unlocked from the beginning. It takes over 4k hours of gameplay to unlock every hero in League of Legends.

Everything in Dota 2 is free, its cosmetic. Not only is this a great f2p model, but it is also so well done that it becomes a serious addiction. Just look at the marketplace and the prices some of the items are going for. It is truly the new standard in how a f2p model should work. Not only are items available, they are made by the community itself, giving modders and creative people an opportunity to make money and do what they love.

Dota 2 is a complex game. It is not easy. It has a steep learning curve and it will kick your ass. However, it is the most satisfying experience in multiplayer gaming since the quake arena days.

Winning a match two barracks down is the best feeling in the world. Not only this, but you will identify yourself with the heroes. Players will not call you by your username or name, but by your hero name, putting you in the role of that hero.

Dota 2 is by far the best MOBA game ever made hands down. If you want a simple MOBA, casual with lots of players go play League of Legends, it has its advantages such as a ranked MMR system.

Dota 2 is for the serious players and the hardcore gamers.
  34. Nov 18, 2013
    I'm sorry Valve but I gave HL2 a 100/100 but Dota 2 is not good enough. Go play League Of Legands. (Yes I will review that after this review.) So Dota 2 is basically LOL but it's £25 and I got it for FREE becuase I got given it by a fan. So Dota 2 is nothing speacal. It's graphics look okay. It's runs okay. It plays okay. So I bet your wondering why I gave it a 5. Becuase you play £25 forI'm sorry Valve but I gave HL2 a 100/100 but Dota 2 is not good enough. Go play League Of Legands. (Yes I will review that after this review.) So Dota 2 is basically LOL but it's £25 and I got it for FREE becuase I got given it by a fan. So Dota 2 is nothing speacal. It's graphics look okay. It's runs okay. It plays okay. So I bet your wondering why I gave it a 5. Becuase you play £25 for it then you have to buy characters which are like £5 each. No Valve just no.

Overall
    -You Have To Pay For A F2P
    -Characters Cost REAL Money
    -You Have To Pay For A F2P
    Score 54/100
  35. Oct 10, 2014
    3,729 lol fan here :) But to tell the truth, Dota 2 is the best MOBA game that currently is f2p. And it is not left alone. They still upgrade it and patch. I believe in valve.
  36. Sep 17, 2013
    one of the most boring games i ever played. honestly.
    also the online community consitsts of 99% garbage talking kids. not sure how anyone can spend more than 4 hours on this.

better get warcraft 3 and the original dota mod.
  37. Jun 5, 2014
    Never In my entire life have I witnessed a worse community revolving around a video-game than the one that is to be found in Dota 2. The players are: Egotistic, ego centric, unsporting, aggressive, hostile, uncaring, mean, mistrusting, immature, callous, apathetic and incredibly pretentious while at every loss prompting everyone inside the current game to "Report player X" if someone onNever In my entire life have I witnessed a worse community revolving around a video-game than the one that is to be found in Dota 2. The players are: Egotistic, ego centric, unsporting, aggressive, hostile, uncaring, mean, mistrusting, immature, callous, apathetic and incredibly pretentious while at every loss prompting everyone inside the current game to "Report player X" if someone on their team was even remotely new to the game or did any other action not sanctified by them, be it going in what lane you want, not purchasing courier/wards or simply just had an unlucky run/getting cross-classed. Along with being completely miserable to be around, they frequently never speak the language in the region you're playing and nowhere else is this more apparent when russian is spammed into the chat at all times on European zones from 3 different sources at once. And if people do know English, trolling is nothing short but assured from all directions to all teams.

Second biggest problem with this game would be the elitist mindset that orbits anyone that has played this atrocious game for more than a couple of hours. Any behavior that breaks the typical dota 2's hardcore player routine of buying tango, healing salve and iron branches, perhaps with some boots of speed if they're feeling adventurous will result in a wave of F-bombs, intentional feeding, votes of surrender, spam prompts to report player X and disconnecting users as far as the eye can see. I even had cases where players left the game because some guy forgot to buy a courier at the start of the game. And that's me overlooking the fact that killstealing off your TEAMMATES is considered average behavior/a common tactic. In LoL, you can even report people for "being unskilled". As in, anyone. Even if they're level 1.To put it bluntly, MOBA's like dota 2 give out a special kind of disgusting behavior that makes me feel physically ill for very good reasons.

Coming close to problem number 2 is the third epic fail problem of this game. The match-making in Dota 2. Broken, poorly thought through and executed horribly. You are prompted to select a variety of regions before initiating the match-making system and the more regions you have selected, the less waiting time..

Which begs the question, what is the point with the regional system if you're just gonna encourage people to sign up for all regions? The end result will be that nobody sticking to their geographical zones and not only causes frustration in the form of people trying to communicate and chat with eachother in the chat as described above but also disallows any kind of vocal / text tactical communication since everyone does not speak the same language. In all honestly, this game is overloaded with issues just like this and I would be able to overlook this particular embarassing design-flop if it wasn't for the actual hard functionality of the MM as well being broken. The scenario on where 4-5 organized people in a group, all sitting in ventrilo/teamspeak while packing thousands of hours in Dota 2 each have a very likely possibility to be "teamed" up against new players with less than 10 hours with no complaints from the match-making system (even if there is a very large queue) throws out any chance of that. This happens particulary often if you decide to try the game out with a friend or two which leaves me with yet another question: The purpose of match-making was to find equally skilled opponents. So why is this even remotely possible? Team-based games with a mandatory MM are supposed to be fair. Not Tyrannosaurus rex VS a duckling. I'm reluctant to say that Dota 2 even has a match-making at all once you look at all the facts.

Even with all these problems, I could actually see myself overlooking them at a certain time during a year due to the sheer amount of possible combinations in this game with heroes & items and the addictive quality the game has if it wasn't for all the other flaws.

The commitment to play DotA MOBA's however, is the biggest flaw of them all that this game inhibits. It changes whoever plays the game as a person. For the worse. Why? Because the game inhibits "addictive" qualities similar with that of jamming needles full with endorphin into your spine every half hour. It's painful, it hurts your emotional stability, it hurts you as a person and it hurts the people around you and for what? A small kick of pleasure/self satisfaction as you managed to win a fundamentally unbalanced game with an emphasis on gank above all else due to chance or otherwise pre-meditated "pubstomping"? Not worth it in so many ways since at the end of the day, Dota 2 will never be fully balanced because Valve will be split between tournament-balances and casual or the "normal" version of the game while repeatedly adding more and more content in the form of heroes.

I could keep on going with design flop after design flop but at the end of the day, this game is not worth anyone's time or dedication.
  38. Nov 18, 2013
    I was about to try something new and... Horrible, pathetic and weak piece of crap. Boring experience, ugly and completely unbalanced game. There is no any civilised multiplayer, this is rather gang bang. Hordes of rapists running around in large groups, spamming most powerful spells and weapons. There is no any civilised community as well. Typical Valve cheap half-product which hasI was about to try something new and... Horrible, pathetic and weak piece of crap. Boring experience, ugly and completely unbalanced game. There is no any civilised multiplayer, this is rather gang bang. Hordes of rapists running around in large groups, spamming most powerful spells and weapons. There is no any civilised community as well. Typical Valve cheap half-product which has nothing to do with strategy or planning like excellent Warcraft III. Expand
  39. Dec 30, 2013
    One of the most boring gaming experiences I've had in my life. Valves worst game by far.
    .............................................................
  40. Jul 7, 2014

41. Jul 23, 2013
    It's depth and complexity results in a strategic and action packed game that is worth committing the 20-60 minutes per round. The down side to it's complexity is the super steep learning curve, and lack of anything really useful for learning in game. There are a huge amount of characters and effective builds for them. It can take quite a while memorize and become comfortable with all ofIt's depth and complexity results in a strategic and action packed game that is worth committing the 20-60 minutes per round. The down side to it's complexity is the super steep learning curve, and lack of anything really useful for learning in game. There are a huge amount of characters and effective builds for them. It can take quite a while memorize and become comfortable with all of it, but it's well worth the price. Low ranking matches can be quite frustrating with how long a rounds are. New and confused teammates will take out frustration on each other, but mid-high level players all have social skills and communicate effectively. The low level community is one of the worst I have seen in a game, yet the high level community is one of the best. Overall I think the game's complexity, and balance results in one of the best online multiplayer experiences you can get, but Free 2 Play isn't actually free as it will require a substantial time investment. It's a brilliant and polished game on so many levels, but until Valve develops a more effective teaching method I don't think it deserves a 10. Expand
  42. Jul 28, 2013
    Its simply the Greatest PC game ever made. Yes its hard, yes its unforgiving, and yes some of the community are a bunch of idiots... but don't let that put you off. Keep going with it.. once you have learned how to play there is no video game PC game in the world that can touch it for awesomeness.
  43. Jul 16, 2013
    I have been playing Dota2 for two years through the beta I have not even scratched the surface of this game in almost a thousand matches. I have become perhaps a novice. I've not even played all and definitely not learned all of the characters. There is one map I still discover new tricks on. Not to mention it is updated and patched once if not more weekly. The market thrives withoutI have been playing Dota2 for two years through the beta I have not even scratched the surface of this game in almost a thousand matches. I have become perhaps a novice. I've not even played all and definitely not learned all of the characters. There is one map I still discover new tricks on. Not to mention it is updated and patched once if not more weekly. The market thrives without giving any real benefit but cosmetics. The underground market with its own prices is so large that there are betting sites with items and money. People will pay thousands for the right items. Then you have all of the live feeds and tournaments. All of which you can watch from any perspective. I could go on forever about this game. This game requires forever to go into detal. This is the best game ever created. Bow to your new God. Resistance is futile. Expand
  44. Nov 2, 2013
    LOL fanboys, get the out. The game may not be innovating, the game may not worth the time waiting, but it's fun and entertaining. and it definitely deserves more than 0s. So why don't you douche bags go masturbating and let the ones that really played it give it a score?
  45. Dec 22, 2013
    Impressive how you can take one of the most loved games the world over, and come out with such a terrible sequel. Based on a Blizzard game- I suppose the devs are doing what they can to follow suit.

This is the Diablo 3 of mobas.
  46. Jul 27, 2013
    Dota 2 is exactly what it should be, a hardcore player vs. player arena game, with endless replay ability. Dota 2 has 102 characters so far, that means you'd have to play 102 rounds of dota to experience and learn each character, or more, with each round taking about 20-30 minutes. There's lots to do in this game, and it's great considering you can get it for free, the dota shop isDota 2 is exactly what it should be, a hardcore player vs. player arena game, with endless replay ability. Dota 2 has 102 characters so far, that means you'd have to play 102 rounds of dota to experience and learn each character, or more, with each round taking about 20-30 minutes. There's lots to do in this game, and it's great considering you can get it for free, the dota shop is optional and not game-play related too. The only downside to the game is that although it is being constantly patched, some characters shine stronger than others, but I suppose that problem will always be there with games like this. Expand
  47. Sep 18, 2013
    I honestly don't understand all of the hype around this game or its main competitor LoL (which I haven't played). I got in to the Beta for this out of curiosity having never played a MOBA game before.

I think the game would be more like an 8 if all of the items were removed as they seem be the main cause of heavy imbalances. It hasn't pulled me in, having only one map is a downer, it's free, the art work is good but I don't play much because its repetitive and gets dull fast *shrug*.

Oh, if it's not to late to add, people calling it the "deepest most meaningful pvp experience" is just wrong. Play a full loot pvp game for meaningful pvp (like EVE).
  48. Oct 30, 2013
    Not the greatest game of all time, but probably the most legit MOBA out there, a hundred times deeper and smarter than League of Legends. The community is still horrible, mainly composed by lobotomized fanboys and but beside this, the game has hours of fun to offer.
    If you are into the online gaming, DotA 2 may be an interesting game to play.
    6/10 because not my kind of game, but a MOBA
    If you are into the online gaming, DotA 2 may be an interesting game to play.
    6/10 because not my kind of game, but a MOBA player would probably give it a 8-9.
  49. May 7, 2014
    I've never played a worse game in my entire life. How does something this bad leave the drawing board phase? Valve, get it together. We are waiting for Half-Life 3 for 10 years and you deliver this trash? ...
  50. Jul 25, 2013
    I've few hundreds hours of LoL, few dozens hours in HoN, and few hundreds of Dota 2. It was fun, until I had time for such things and friends who liked to play one and the same map for hours. Eventually, you grow up to hate this games. Full of people who even refuse to communicate in english on english speaking servers. Dota 2 is yet just another reincarnation of a simple mod to warcraftI've few hundreds hours of LoL, few dozens hours in HoN, and few hundreds of Dota 2. It was fun, until I had time for such things and friends who liked to play one and the same map for hours. Eventually, you grow up to hate this games. Full of people who even refuse to communicate in english on english speaking servers. Dota 2 is yet just another reincarnation of a simple mod to warcraft 3, but with worse graphics, terrible interface and genius ****-milking policy. You have to give Valve that. A pile of retextured items who barely make difference in the looks of characters for 15 euros. Nice. Expand
  51. Dec 8, 2013
    A good FREE MOBA with lots of characters, skills, items, a steepish learning curve, and Valve's patented drop system that would be a 10 out of 10 if it were not continually undermined by a shoddy matchmaking system that loves to pair players of wildly differing skill levels. A team of 5 above average players going up against a team of 2 Gods & 3 clueless turds is pretty common.

For

For premades and tourneys this is irrelevant. For the majority of players who solo queue on the otherhand it is more than relevant and rage inducingly so.
  52. Jul 28, 2013
    This game has an insane learning curve. If it's your first time playing an action RTS style game then it will take you ~200 games just to be decent and that's if you watch pro games and actively work on improving your play. Of course you can approach the game casually as well but you will be missing out the insane depth and complexity of the game. This game really shines when two evenlyThis game has an insane learning curve. If it's your first time playing an action RTS style game then it will take you ~200 games just to be decent and that's if you watch pro games and actively work on improving your play. Of course you can approach the game casually as well but you will be missing out the insane depth and complexity of the game. This game really shines when two evenly matched teams battle it out for 40-60 minutes where everybody gives it their all and works together as a team. Those matches are rare though and they have nearly become extinct with Valve's changes to matchmaking. The reason I gave this game a 7/10 instead of a 10/10 isn't because of the gameplay itself, it's because of Valve's current direction they are taking the game. The mute system and recent matchmaking issues have negatively impacted my dota experience to the where I no longer play the game. After 3 months of bumbling around Valve finally improved the mute system but now the matchmaking problems have taken center-stage. Maybe once they iron out all the wrinkles I will return to this great action rts. Expand
  53. Sep 23, 2013
    After I saw this game was free on Steam, I decided what could be the harm? As I had never played any games in the same genre, this was something new. At first, I did not like it. I didn't 'get it.' After I forced myself to get past the beginning, it was quite an enjoyable experience. While not the best game I have ever played, it is still very good and in-depth.
  54. Apr 25, 2014
    Best game ever with worst community there is. You cant blame the game for the player community tho! So play it with friends or use mute function frequently. It's worth every minute. It's deep and complex.
  55. Jul 31, 2013
    I used to be an warcraft DotA addict and a hater not willing to play LoL, HoN or similar dota-like games. This is a genuine DotA successor. Of course it takes few games to get used to it, but when you do you realize it's the good old DotA additionally enhanced beyond your imagination since it's a standalone game, not limited by the warcraft. Everything that was ever missing in the oldI used to be an warcraft DotA addict and a hater not willing to play LoL, HoN or similar dota-like games. This is a genuine DotA successor. Of course it takes few games to get used to it, but when you do you realize it's the good old DotA additionally enhanced beyond your imagination since it's a standalone game, not limited by the warcraft. Everything that was ever missing in the old dota has been added and upgraded. Currently this is the best multiplayer & coop arpg game available. And it's for free Expand
  56. Nov 2, 2013
    Developers don't communicate with the fanbase and no real updates or heroes in MONTHS. I don't play LoL, but I'm considering going to that because at least the devs care and there is constantly new content. All Dota 2 has is HATS. HATS AND COURIERS.
  57. Jan 18, 2014
    This game is not great for the next generation of first Dota. Because the game with big size and have only few improment. First Dota only need under 10 mb for one map. This is very not great.
  58. Apr 12, 2014
    Theres a reason this is the most played PC game of all time as of the moment. The first few games suck yes but when you learn you cant put it down. If one person on your team feeds you lose but i dont have a problem with losing i still have fun. A game can take from 20mins to 1 or so hours its a joy to play with friends i recommend it highly. 10/10 Ruined my life.
  59. Apr 19, 2014
    It used to be good, now you get communication-banned for saying stuff like "that was a bad play." Count on Valve to ruin anything that might have been good. MMR system is completely awful and if you live in the US, expect to have people who don't speak English on your team. Great game fallen to ruin by self-righteous, nanny trash company. I've never liked Valve as a company or any of theirIt used to be good, now you get communication-banned for saying stuff like "that was a bad play." Count on Valve to ruin anything that might have been good. MMR system is completely awful and if you live in the US, expect to have people who don't speak English on your team. Great game fallen to ruin by self-righteous, nanny trash company. I've never liked Valve as a company or any of their previous games. I was happy about dota because they got the original developer of the game. I have been playing Dota 2 since early beta and the game is not the same anymore.

Is it so hard to mute people you don't want to talk to through the in-game UI? Apparently Valve thinks so! Whenever I can't stand Peruvians screaming gibberish or nasally voiced 12 year olds, I just mute them. Nanny Valve doesn't trust your judgment though, so I guess they'd better mute people themselves so nobody can listen to them!
  60. Jul 19, 2013
    Good graphics, addictive team-based gameplay, free to play with no cash shop items that affect the gameplay in any way, very good replayability, steap learning curve. The only problems are: flaming school kids in the community (but hey, this is not the developers fault!), a rather small variety of heroes (Heroes of Newearth provide much more) and a certain lack of balance for heroes (someGood graphics, addictive team-based gameplay, free to play with no cash shop items that affect the gameplay in any way, very good replayability, steap learning curve. The only problems are: flaming school kids in the community (but hey, this is not the developers fault!), a rather small variety of heroes (Heroes of Newearth provide much more) and a certain lack of balance for heroes (some heroes are OP). Also there is no "concede" button so you end up playing matches much longer than you should: this is probably the biggest problem, which would be so easy to fix. Despite this the game deserves a 10. Expand
  61. Sep 16, 2013
    I found this game to be to stale. It's just so difficult to enjoy when you have an hour of repetitive gameplay, really reminds me of D3 and that's supposed to be an insult. I noticed that the other players were very rude and hostile to beginners, and really made my experience even more negative.
  62. Jan 8, 2014
    No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one caresNo one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores.No one cares about metacritic user scores. Expand
  63. Feb 26, 2014
    I have 800 hours into this game and am still deeply engaged and learning. Amazing depth in skills, interactions and repeat play. It is Free to Play, but I have spent $ on vanity items, but that is just it, they are VANITY items. No pay to win here. I am largely a solo player, so I have to rely on random or half stack teams. Though I play BOTS games will my less competitive friends andI have 800 hours into this game and am still deeply engaged and learning. Amazing depth in skills, interactions and repeat play. It is Free to Play, but I have spent $ on vanity items, but that is just it, they are VANITY items. No pay to win here. I am largely a solo player, so I have to rely on random or half stack teams. Though I play BOTS games will my less competitive friends and have a good time with them, I do see where causal players can be turned off.

Cons: I wish that VALVE would do some IP restrictions on their servers, playing US EAST or WEST with players Pinging in at 500+ is pretty brutal. People can be real jerks and make it unfun.

DOTA2 is a love hate for sure, you will love it and hate yourself and your team.
    That is MOBAs in general and it is best in class.

Plus drafted ability mode is ridiculously fun. Just stay the hell away from All Pick.
  64. Nov 9, 2013
    This game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, butThis game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, but both games are compleatly different. Its like comparing COD and Battlefield, they are so different that connot be compared. (no preference on either game, I think bot of them are good) Give this game a try, the learning curve is very steep but it is rewarding when you learn. I think this is the best gave valve has ever developed and has been the most played game on steam ever since the second year of beta development. Try it out, its free and badass! Expand
  65. Jul 31, 2013
    Very overrated game. For being supposedly one of the most played games on steam, it has THE WORST match making system I HAVE EVER SEEN. EVER. IN THE HISTORY OF EVERDOM.

It takes on average around 15-20 minutes just to start a game, sometimes closer to 30 minutes. This is because it usually takes around the 7-10 minute range to find a lobby, and 50% of the time from there someone either drops out or leaves, causing the whole process to start over again. Compare this to LoL where it takes probably around a minute on average to find and start a game.

So you'd think with all that time being spent finding people to match with it would be due to the complex algorithms being performed on the back end for their magnificent matchmaking system, right?

WRONG

I've never even SEEN a matchmaking system more broken. Every god damn game of Dota 2 is a steamroll for one side. If you're winning it just gets easy as hell and you can play as sloppy as you want. If you're losing there is pretty much nothing you can do to make a comeback, and you're then forced to watch the other team toy with you instead of ending the game. And you can't agree to a surrender in like oh I don't know EVERY OTHER MOBA GAME EVER MADE. Seriously.. why the can't your team agree to a surrender? Why do you have to just sit there while the other team kills you IN YOUR FOUNTAIN? You can't leave the game because you basically are tracked for games you leave, so what are you forced to do after this game you already spent 20 minutes waiting for and 50 minutes playing a lopsided unfun steamroll on? Wait 10 more minutes and just watch the other team toy with you, like happens every god damn game.

Horribly horribly inexcusable to not have a surrender option. The lack of a surrender, long match making times, and horrible match making of skill is where I downrate this game mostly. The other reasons I downrate it are the before mentioned horrible snowballing this game employs. If anyone on a team feeds AT ALL it's GAME OVER. disgraceful.

The other thing is the game simply is laughably imbalanced. For instance, some characters just suck complete ass, like the brood mother. You can't ever use her spiderling skill because a.) they aren't even that good, but more importantly b.) They give the enemy experience when they die, and most importantly c.) They give the enemy gold when they die. Considering how weak they are, any decent AOE spell is going to kill em all and put the enemy WAY ahead of you, like basically a heroe kill's worth of gold and exp. It's ridiculous. And it's pointless to use the spiders in any other way than bunched up, because on their own they can't do ****

Compare that to a phantom lancers illusions which give NO GOLD and basically NO EXP when killed, yet they are probably close to 100x more useful than a spiderling. SO MUCH SENSE BEING MADE BY THIS GAME.

And you can easily see on the stats that the game is horribly imbalanced, broodmother has something like a 37% win rate, so I have facts to back up my statements. THAT IS NOT A SIGN OF A WELL-BALANCED GAME PEOPLE.

Aside from all that the game plays well, a lot of the heroes actually are designed well, such as spirit breaker and pudge. The game requires much more skill than LoL to play which is something that I like. Landing a Pudge hook from long range or concealed areas is infinitely cooler than landing any skillshot in LoL, and the heroes are much more dynamic in their move sets.
  66. Jan 6, 2014
    A Fan base so immature it could be compared as a too the infamous Call of Duty fans.

Definitely an unfriendly game too play, On Dota, there is no hiding the chat, so guaranteed first time playing you'll see your name being thrown around for how terrible you are at this game you've just began playing.
  67. Jul 11, 2014
    Dota 2, the game advertised as hard, awesome and good by it's fans. I played the fancy new tutorial, it taught me nothing. I played a bot game, it taught me nothing. I played against players, it taught me the following:

- You need to tell everyone when someone exists your screen, they can't look it up from their minimap. - Call everyone feeder while having most deaths - Spam league

- Call everyone feeder while having most deaths
    - Spam league forums about how skillcap Dota 2 is.
    - Last hitting is very easy
    - Gold is easily gained
    - Snowballing is super fast and strong, games can be decided by any lane just by getting killed 2 times.

Overall pretty average game, graphics are nice and stuff. But the real thing is, it's not that hard game. Sure learning 90 champions is hard, but if i can find figure out most of the stuff in 20minutes that my team was getting beaten, anyone can do it.

My first pvp game was a flamefest, i did not call an missing player and my team died to him....3 times in row for a double kill. Then i was the person with mental issues, i'm feeding and should go back to League. While still holding more farm, less deaths and more income than my team that composed of players who had much more hours in the game than i did (less than 3). MatchMaking sucks as bad as Riot's, even worse i might add. Every player in my pvp games has experience with the game that i don't. So i'll check the game out in 6 months or so again to see what they done with it. Prolly nothing.

Short version:

- Requires more skill than league. [ ] Yes [x] NO
    - Full of A-Holes. [x] Yes [ ] NO
    - Overhyped and boring [x ] Yes [] NO
    - Lucky Valve has other quality game under their name [x] Yes [x] Yes

Don't buy anything in this game until you are sure it's good.
  68. Aug 22, 2013
    It's a really well made game, with lots of customization and characters to choose from. It ain't my thing though, but it still is a well made game. You'll like it if you are a LoL fan or that kind of stuff
  69. Sep 13, 2013
    As far as the MOBA market goes, they don't get any better than Dota 2. All the content is freely and instantly available, no points or in game dollar system for those to pay to win. All cosmetics are just that, cosmetics.

Play with 5 friends for the best experience, solo queue suffers from racial tensions brought on by communication problems (South Americans, Russians are the more popular scapegoats). This weakness shows what Dota2 is really about, communication. The teams that are able to talk, plan, and think, will almost always win. Which for me, means the game has done something very right.

10/10, constant updates, extremely well made game, great voices, what lore there is is thought-out and well written, unbeatable team-experience.
  70. Sep 24, 2013
    This is a great game, and possibly the one game that will require the most out of you: quick thinking on your feet, reflexes, communication, pretty much everything that a person can put in a game will be required of you if you will be any good at this deep, deep game.

And here I want to address the review by the user iseeall: You do not get it in the least. Play an actual game. The training part of the game is just to give you an idea of the basics, but the magic of this game isn't about towers or creeps or even the single hero you know. It's about the interaction between heroes, and about the items that you buy in the shop. Those items are bought with the in-game gold, which you start every game with a small fixed amount, depending on mode, and you get more by doing various things. You cannot buy gold with real money. The items that enhance your hero can only be "purchased" with the gold you get in the game, and this resets every game. The only things you can buy with real money for this game are purely cosmetic. You do not need any of them. Plus, by playing actual matches, you will receive such items.

This is a free-to-play game that does NOT require *ANY* money at all. More than that: Spending *ANY* amount of money in this game will give you absolutely ZERO competitive advantage against other players. Spend $10,000 if you can, go right ahead. You will gain only a variety of cosmetic items.

So why do people buy things? Because they LOVE this game. They WORSHIP this game. Why? Because it is a fantastic game, one that you will never, ever be bored with, and one that costs nothing. What more could you possibly ask for in a game?
  71. Mar 9, 2014
    Don't believe the positive reviews, this is a terrible game. In theory its cool but its impossible to find a game, when you do someone always quits so one team is unbalanced, often this triggers one or more people quitting so you end up on a team down 1-2 players.

Then if you're on that team you're up against it and if the other team gets a couple of kills you're quickly stuck in a 40 minute trudge to your inevitable loss. In theory its awesome but in practice awful.
  72. Jul 20, 2013
    Dota 2 isn't a bad game at all. The graphics are a bit dated, but gameplay trumps graphics and the gameplay here is outstanding. The interface is fairly well executed, shaving a bit off the otherwise steep learning curve that comes with every moba.

Three points off, though, for the community. The diehard players of Dota 2 are egotistical babies with absolutely nothing redeeming enough to their personalities to be egotistical about. Barely literate as a whole, the community of Dota 2 is among the cruelest to "noobs" I've ever seen, regularly threatening to murder people over a mishandled strategy in some of the most poorly worded, grammatically butchered threats I've ever seen. To put it another way, about the only thing these dorks are educated in is Dota 2, leaving things like "English," "bathing," and "communication skills" on the wayside. If there were a way to separate Dota 2, the game, from the Dota 2 community, perfection would be around the corner. Unfortunately, the former comes with the latter, and the results are pathetic.
  73. Nov 18, 2014
    The balance is good, graphics are fine, hero diversity is great, and the depth is amazing.
    Its one of the few games that is really F2P. No need to pay to avoid grinding, the only things you pay for are cosmetics
    I've put over 3000 hours into it and I'm still learning stuff and hopefully improving. The only bad part is that its made by valve... That means the content comes out

The only bad part is that its made by valve...
    That means the content comes out incredibly slow.
    The game officially released in 2013, now its almost 2015 and they still haven't ported every hero. I'm not talking new heroes, just a straight up copy/paste of their skills with a graphics/audio update.
    The game frequently goes 5-6 months with no updates.
    About 6 months ago they promised customizable buildings and new mega creep appearances.
    Still nothing about that.
  74. Jul 12, 2013
    One of the best, most difficult and truly competitive games I've ever played. It is free and doesn't have any pay-to-win, all heroes are free, the only paid content are cosmetical items that DO NOT change gameplay.
  75. Jul 17, 2013
    Dota 2 is what a real "sequal" should be like. The game is free, the graphics are pleasnt, the gameplay is fluid, and the game has great balance. Valve has done a great job, and hopefully the e-sports scene becomes bigger, because League of Legends is a joke in terms of quality and balance.
  76. Aug 27, 2013
    It's hard to separate an online game from it's community and be objective about it, because let's face it, when it comes to online games the community often makes the game. For example, I raved about world of warcraft when I had a community of friends/guilds to play with but hated to game when those relationships waned. Dota2 is similar. If you don't have friends to play with you may beIt's hard to separate an online game from it's community and be objective about it, because let's face it, when it comes to online games the community often makes the game. For example, I raved about world of warcraft when I had a community of friends/guilds to play with but hated to game when those relationships waned. Dota2 is similar. If you don't have friends to play with you may be left wanting more. The reason is the US servers aren't locked at all so often times you have a lot of eastern europeans who speak very little English or a lot of south americans. The south americans are worse, they tend to be in groups or 2 or 3 and use the in game chat as a social hours going back in forth in Spanish or Portuguese the entire time (that's why private mumble servers are for). When I play with my friends we use mumble and only use in game chat for relevant in game things. If we want to vent about a player or socialize we keep it out of the game. And other times you just get plain old jerks who always roll carry heroes, complain if you don't babysit the crap out of them despite their bad positioning, poor farming, overall lack of knowledge etc. In short the community is hit or miss. Half the games suffer from obnoxious players while half are fine.

There's also some serious matchmaking issues. Skill levels are rarely equal unless you queue with a full group. Valve also hides their matchmaking ratings so you don't really know why or how you got in the match you got into. I'll go from a match against obvious brand new players to one against a full 5 who are on top of everything. So again hit or miss.

As far as gameplay though I couldn't ask for a more balanced and well designed game. The graphics are mediocre but the art style is good and I love the brightness of it. Compared to Heroes of Newerth (HoN) it looks so much more appealing. Some complain a lot about the animations say they're too slow and your heroes react far to slow, but this is appealing to me as well and part of the strategy. Not every hero last hits at the same pace so you need to learn them. By contracts HoN seemed very frantic to me without much time between decisions because every animation is so fast.

The balance and strategic depth are amazing. Valve does a great job patching and keeping every hero in order. There's so much strategy to picking teams and counter matchups and what to do in your lanes. It's a deceptive deep game. The downside is this creates a very high skill barrier to entry. It takes literally 30-50 games to understand the nuances of the game at all. Many players will become frustrated with this learning curve and simply won't like the game and that's fine. It's not for everyone. But if you take the time to learn what you're doing it's a wonderful pvp game.

There's a few things I think could be done a lot better like more maps, fixing the matchmaking, etc. There also really needs to be a vote to surrender and end obvious losses earlier. A blowout can be recognized 20 mins in but take another 20 mins to resolve. In general tech support is very good, game almost never crashes.

Overall judging the game for what it is, I give it a 9 because it simply is the best of the moba genre. But if you don't like mobas or online games stay away. If you want to really enjoy all dota2 has to offer do yourself a favor, dive in, expect to lose your first 10 games or so, read a lot of guides, watch some youtube clips and find a group of friends to play with.
  77. Nov 26, 2013
    i'ts one of the best rpg that i have ever played in my computer, i'ts completely free, not an pay-to-win, and have a very nice gameplay i really loved it!
    Valve are doing quite of a job in here
  78. Jul 12, 2013
    I swore to myself there would never be a playerbase worse than MW4 when I first played the latter game, so I would be a little comfortable playing multiplayer games ever again. I was wrong. The players in this game are ridiculous. They talk like COD 8 year olds, but they are actually more around 15, a very terrible combination. However, on to the game, it is very fun. So many heroes ensureI swore to myself there would never be a playerbase worse than MW4 when I first played the latter game, so I would be a little comfortable playing multiplayer games ever again. I was wrong. The players in this game are ridiculous. They talk like COD 8 year olds, but they are actually more around 15, a very terrible combination. However, on to the game, it is very fun. So many heroes ensure many different games. In other words, you can play one hero every time and still be a unique player. The learning curve is pretty ridiculous, but if you find a hero or two you really like you don't have learn too many powers or items. Expand
  79. Jul 22, 2013
    This game is great. It's free, it's competitive, it's fun. No stall meta-game, every hero is useful and deadly, good balance due to the DotA-Allstars dev team and the age of the game with constant patches.
    Pros:
    -Non-stall metagame -Fun with friends or if you're lucky enough then with PuGs as well -Every hero is useful -Only some heroes are somewhat-the-same, all others are very
    Pros:
    -Non-stall metagame
    -Fun with friends or if you're lucky enough then with PuGs as well
    -Every hero is useful
    -Only some heroes are somewhat-the-same, all others are very unique
    -Game rewards players for learning advanced mechanics (use of terrain, etc.)
    -A lot of heroes to choose from
    -Deep mechanics
    Cons:
    -Huge learning curve
    -Community
    -Matchmaking often does a bad match with players

This game is worth playing. When you'll overcome the learning phase of the game, the game will become fun as hell.
  80. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is extremely addictive and can be even more fun if in a party of people. Teams really make the game the best and the more you play, the better you are as the character. enjoy sitting down and spending an hour or two playing this game. Anyone who has given this game below a 4 seriously needs to replay this game. One crappy game does not mean the game is bad. Nor does having aThis game is extremely addictive and can be even more fun if in a party of people. Teams really make the game the best and the more you play, the better you are as the character. enjoy sitting down and spending an hour or two playing this game. Anyone who has given this game below a 4 seriously needs to replay this game. One crappy game does not mean the game is bad. Nor does having a group of players who can't help you first game either. Expand
  81. Oct 5, 2013
    It's a great game, probably the best MOBA. All the haters, who give 0 score because of the community, amuse me so much :D Showing their ignorance. First solution play with FRIENDS (Find some if you don't have) Dota Teamplay, TEAM-based game. If you are greedy and not polite, of course everyone will mock you and it will be a gg. Second try some different mods! If you know all the heroesIt's a great game, probably the best MOBA. All the haters, who give 0 score because of the community, amuse me so much :D Showing their ignorance. First solution play with FRIENDS (Find some if you don't have) Dota Teamplay, TEAM-based game. If you are greedy and not polite, of course everyone will mock you and it will be a gg. Second try some different mods! If you know all the heroes (which is quite essential to be able to have a good experience) try CM, CD? The game mode where there is a captain, and the whole point of picking heroes is to counter enemies and communicate with the team. If you hate the community that much, well I guess you got no friends who play dota? Also if you don't like the European servers, play in US. The ping is not that high even if you are in Europe. And yeah, if you are new, best would be to have a friend who can teach you. Or just watch a lot of videos in youtube/tournaments in order to better understand the game. Don't cry just because you play online and knowing nothing makes your teammates angry. Of course, every second is gold and experience in dota :D Expand
  82. Nov 3, 2013
    Nothing new added for half a year besides cosmetic money-grubbing items...
    - Garbage auto-report system...
    - Garbage matchmaking...
    - Horrible community and player base...
    - Valve...

Yep, stay as far away as possible guys. This is cancer.
  83. Dec 2, 2013
    Amazing, unique game. Only thing is there are just so much heroes its pretty hard to figure out which one is your favorite, the tutorial introduces you to a couple of them but there are alot more out there that players will miss on because they want to stick to the heroes they know.
  84. Jun 23, 2014
    Community is horrendous and Valve has no clue what to do or how to fix it. Million Russians are playing on EU servers, they don't know how to play, they won't listen, they don't speak English and they don't care when they destroy match. They simply flame you, report you and go on to next match.
  85. Dec 20, 2014
    I'll start off with a 10/10 and work backwards to the score.
    Graphics: Pretty good for this type of game. I've played other MOBAS. Dota 2's graphics are the best out of the bunch. They have a relatively higher degree of fidelity than the others. +2 (Not pushing the limits) Score: +2
    I'll start off with a 10/10 and work backwards to the score.
    Community: The Community is intense. This results in a lot of negativity directed towards those who are learning the game, trying new things etc. You also get very positive interactions due to the intensity, but it’s hit or miss. You also get a fair number of people who troll a game. This is common amongst all online games, but, due to the competitive nature, it really stands out. This game seems to bring out the best and worst of people. It is arguable that this is part of the fun. Score-3

Mechanics/controls: The Game Mechanics are Simple and easy to grasp. Mouse driven, only a few hotkeys to use in order to perform the majority of tasks and the more detailed functions are easily identifiable, and customizable. Score: +2
    Complexity: Dota 2 is relatively complex compared to the other MOBAS. The trees are destructible so you can carve paths that do not normally exist, and create optimal angles for certain abilities, You can use them to escape to; the multitude of existing paths create varied and numerous ‘juking’ possibilities. You have to last hit and deny, Heroes also interact with the map in different ways, some gain vision, others have map-wide abilities etc. The degree of complexity is not for everyone. Other games cut back on complexity. It’s a play-style preference, but if you enjoy a high degree of competitiveness the complexity (you ease into it over time) is beneficial. Score +1
    Content: The best thing about Dota 2 is all content that affects gameplay is free to everyone, and stays free. All pay-content or grind content is cosmetic. Sound, effects, textures, graphical aspect etc. Other games have you pay for this or grind for hundreds of hours. The WHOLE game of Dota 2 is free from the start. This is a big benefit. If one player didn’t have access to some heroes then that would be a HUGE disadvantage. Score +2

Balance: The game is very balanced. The balancing has literally taken place since 2003 when it was a mod for Warcraft 3. Many minds have balanced this. Even still, changes are made, and the game continues to improve Score +0 (Games must be balanced only negative scores possible)

Valve: The parent company is a detractor in how they police the community. It assumes players are dumb and cannot police their own experience. The first time you have a muted player on your team, and you cannot properly interact with them, and lose the game you’ll understand why I bring this up as a negative. Just because other people said he’s a rude dude; doesn’t mean I would have, but I do not have the choice. I have to put up with the handicap on my team. Sure a person may just be a jerk; this should be up to me, not Valve. It is also difficult to get customer support for the game. The company is also slow to improve old hero models, and adding in missing heroes… I’m sure this is intentional to decrease their ongoing development costs. Score -3
    Player base: Hit or miss, the game has dedicated roles with the various heroes. When others ignore them you’ll likely lose the match. This can be one of the most frustrating aspects about the game. You just learn to live with it, and find another game. Score -3
    Heroes/items: MOBAS generally have heroes. In other games there isn’t much real difference between them. Sure they have some different abilities, but Dota 2 really differentiates these abilities, and has an added element of early/mid/late game heroes. If your team selection focuses on early play you have to do sufficient damage to the enemy early on before the other team can push into the later game where your selections are weaker. If you picked a lategame mix of heroes you have to delay the game to get to the stage of the game where your composition shines. You can also have a balanced team and that poses its own challenges. I played LOL and heroes generally scale much more consistently to the later stage of the game, where in Dota your selection plays a bigger role. Items are pretty much a universal aspect in MOBAS, and nothing any of them really stands out, so items don’t play into my score. +1
    Conclusion: This is a great game. It could be a 10/10 if Valve did a little less parenting of its players, and gave us more options to police our own experiences by ourselves. Communities will always be what they are. It’s too many variables to control, and valve has tried to do this and, in my opinion, failed. This game is a LOT of fun, has tremendous replay value, and is constantly being adjusted, updated, tweaked etc.

You will need patience to get past the initial harshness of the community, but when you do it’s worth it.
  86. Jul 22, 2013
    I can honestly say that DOTA2 is the best game I played in my 31 years of life, and I played quite a lot of them The depth of mechanics, fun and speed of combat, brutality of mistakes and joy of skillful play all compose into a perfect mix. Strongly recommended to be played with friends over VOIP. 700 hours played and I still feel like I was starting. So much to learn, grasp, so muchI can honestly say that DOTA2 is the best game I played in my 31 years of life, and I played quite a lot of them The depth of mechanics, fun and speed of combat, brutality of mistakes and joy of skillful play all compose into a perfect mix. Strongly recommended to be played with friends over VOIP. 700 hours played and I still feel like I was starting. So much to learn, grasp, so much satisfaction from actually doing it. Pick it up. It will take over your life if you want to play it well, but you're in for the best ride of your gaming years. It's free, but you will spend money on cosmetics because they look really, really cool, they can be traded which is fun in its own self, and they give you that feeling of supporting this game that you will wish to never stop existing Easiest 10 out of 10 ever. Expand
  87. Nov 8, 2013
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. We are getting Diretide back. I was going to thumbs it down because valve made a booboo and had to be punished but now they learned from their mistake and are fixing. Thats one thing activision and EA will never do. So Good job valve. You listened to our tantrum and fixed up what we wanted and now your getting a reward. Keep up the good work. In actual review talk theYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. We are getting Diretide back. I was going to thumbs it down because valve made a booboo and had to be punished but now they learned from their mistake and are fixing. Thats one thing activision and EA will never do. So Good job valve. You listened to our tantrum and fixed up what we wanted and now your getting a reward. Keep up the good work. In actual review talk the game is god damn awesome. Just play it. Its god tier. Expand
  88. Jul 18, 2013
    Not a 10 because of the matching system. You jump from very good games to complete nonsense where you just wonder wtf (and you know that you have to waste 40 mins in a bad match-up)?

Overall a very good game.
  89. Jul 18, 2013
    One of the best multiplayer games of all time and it's FREE. Much better than League of Legends, all heroes are FREE and it's deeper and more complex. Very steep learning curve, may be too hard for the average Call of Duty casual gamer.
  90. Sep 9, 2013
    Dota 2 stays very close to the formula that made Dota 1 such a success. As such it is a pretty good game.... However 10 years have past, but they stubbornly refused to implement a number of improvements to the classic formula that we;ve seen elsewhere.
    -Barely even a nod to the fact that this is the least accessible genre of gaming ever. New players are faced with dozens of champions right from the outset. Other games have really gone to great lengths to improve this worst aspect of MOBA games (the terrible first 100 hours), Dota 2 barely acknowledges it is a problem.
    -The risk/reward level for more dangerous play is still at it's old (very) high level, the downside of which is that you will see less out of the box plays each match that in some of the competing MOBA games.
    -At the same time the game length is about 50% longer than LoL and HoN whilst having, if anything, less action over that time than the competition.
    Still I would rate it as a near perfect game for it's balance and replayabilty.
  91. Apr 30, 2014
    Best moba I've ever played, ruined by broken marchmaking and absence of different game modes.

+ Amazing visuals + Very smooth gameplay + Item drops + Great hero designs. + Hardcore team play. - Outright broken matchmaking system will drive you nuts. - There is only one map, one game mode. There are some different hero-picking drafts thats all. - The worst community ever. Very

+ Amazing visuals
    + Very smooth gameplay
    + Item drops
    + Great hero designs.
    + Hardcore team play.
    - Outright broken matchmaking system will drive you nuts.
    - The worst community ever. Very toxic, there is at least one troll, feeder or leaver in every match.
    - Sometimes too punishing, and so damn less rewarding.
    - Very addicting.

Give it a try if you didn't already, but don't let it get to you, it will drain your sanity away.
  92. Jul 25, 2013
    Perfection!
    this is the culmination of a decade of work by the community and the people directly associated with the game, its ever evolving and growing game that is best in its genre, give it some time let it grow on you and i assure you that soon you would wish to give it all of your time
  93. Jul 28, 2013
    You can say what you want about the community, but the game is great. I love it and played it 400+ hours so far Never had problems with being reported and the bad games that happen sometimes usually get countered by a great and fun match afterwards.
    I would recommend everyone t at least try it for a small time once.
    (get past the first waves of newcomers (aka the raging noobs) and
    I would recommend everyone t at least try it for a small time once.

(get past the first waves of newcomers (aka the raging noobs) and you will be fine. At higher rating/level matches there is alot more optimistic and fun people... while the ragers/trolls etc. (usually free players just coming in) are at the bottom rating matches were sadly they make the life of other newcomers a misery.
  94. Aug 22, 2013
    Very good game i have to say it's the most good PVP games,there's a lot of skilled players i dont really know what to say it's a great game,I recommend it to play it!
  95. Sep 6, 2013
    Didn't really like the game all that much, the graphics are somewhat dounting, my eyes get tired of playing it more then 10 mins, the models are too wierd for me, none of them make sense, the only models i like are those of humans and guys like headhunter and bloodseeker, the rest are simply... not cool, and the factor that in a teamplay based game teamplay itself doesn't matter all thatDidn't really like the game all that much, the graphics are somewhat dounting, my eyes get tired of playing it more then 10 mins, the models are too wierd for me, none of them make sense, the only models i like are those of humans and guys like headhunter and bloodseeker, the rest are simply... not cool, and the factor that in a teamplay based game teamplay itself doesn't matter all that much is pretty horrible, 1 guy if fed can simply own 1 vs 5 and no one can do anything about it, if youre layed back theres no way to keep up.
    I wont rate it 0 though cause only overly dumb people do that, if you rate 0 that means every single aspect of this game is awful, but thats just not true. The mechanics are neat, the animations and effects are good, but the gameplay itself thats what i didn't like, and the models... those nasty models!
  96. Nov 2, 2013
    November 2, 2013. I revert my 9/10 score to a 1/10 due to a change of opinion about the game's developers.

More than 4 months of waiting for any actual content that aren't cosmetic items and the community got nothing. On November 1, Valve chose to update the game with more cosmetic items instead of giving the community the highly anticipated ANNUAL Halloween Dota2 event "Diretide", a huge slap to the face of their fans who were waiting for any sort of actual content. The game was in beta for more than 2 years and they still couldn't port all the Dota 1 heroes because they choose to shove as much cosmetic items down their costumers' throats instead of working on actual game content, better matchmaking, or bug fixes.

Meanwhile, Valve apologists still defend this company's terrible practices of keeping the community in the dark and berate people who are angered by Valve's practices. I bet these same people would shove a horse's penis up their anuses if Valve ordered them to do it, not surprising too because Gabe and the majority of the community are Bronies and they'd love nothing more than getting screwed by ponies.

1/10 Bad developers, terrible community, dead game.
  97. Oct 3, 2014
    I am use to playing FPS games COD, Battlefield,Soldierfront and all my mates told me to give this game ago and i watched a few videos on it and thought it was rubbish but one day i downloaded it as my mates were very pertistent and let me tell you its one of the best games ive played by far! i have racked up 1220 hours on this game already in about 7 months and play it everyday just aboutI am use to playing FPS games COD, Battlefield,Soldierfront and all my mates told me to give this game ago and i watched a few videos on it and thought it was rubbish but one day i downloaded it as my mates were very pertistent and let me tell you its one of the best games ive played by far! i have racked up 1220 hours on this game already in about 7 months and play it everyday just about with my mates. so much strategy involved and alot of fun once you get past the first few bad games you have. trust me give this game a go you wont play anything else i promise. add me on steam and i can give anyone a hand if they want :Dord. good luck and have fun playing see you in there! Expand
  98. Oct 31, 2014
    Dota 2 was the sequel (its basically a HD remake, not a sequel) to the hugely popular Warcraft 3 mod. It was based off you select one hero from a pool and you control that hero and your creeps (AI minions) would just come wave after wave and go down a preselected lane. The original game created the MOBA genre.

Now years after the original game, huge popularity and many games to follow

Now years after the original game, huge popularity and many games to follow in its path do we get Dota 2. When they announced this game I was really excited, and even after thousands of hours of playing I do still enjoy it...at times.

The game runs flawlessly in the source engine, every animation looking amazing. It makes vast improvements over the original game from pregame hero selection to patches and updates to balance out heroes and items.

Since the launch of HoN (Heroes of Newerth) and LoL (League of Legends) I felt less inclined to play the older brother of the 3 and gravitated more to HoN where it got most of its ideas from Dota. S2 games is quite a bit smaller then Valve obviously, but I've found they have done a few things right.

First off, Dota has the option of what region you want to play in, but no region lock like HoN did. You will queue up for US East, and still get Brazilian and Chinese players. Now nothing against playing with people from different regions, but when you play a game that is reliant on communication, and you speak 2 different languages it makes it difficult. The game really should be region locked.

Another thing S2 did was provide a concede vote. When a player leaves the game in a ranked game, you are forced to play out the game or take a leaver status if someone leaves or you are losing. Some teams will drag out the game to an hour if the game could of ended 15 mins in.

Another very minor thing would of adding skins for your heroes over very minor pieces of gear. Some barely make your hero unique in any way and basically looks like the same as the default skin, but like i said this is a minor gripe that doesn't affect game play at all.

Overall ive spent 1000's of hours in the game and still play it, so they must of done something right, if only they would add a concede vote and a region lock I would finally be able to fully enjoy the game.
  99. Jul 17, 2013
    Dota 2 is 100% skill based. You need to learn a lot in order to be successful. This is not for the casual, or is it? Its fun from the get go. You can constantly improve and that makes it fun.

But there are other Dota-esque game out there, why Dota 2? Well, LoL is to World of warcraft what Starcraft 2 is to Dota 2. There you have it. If you want a DotA game where the best skilled team

There you have it. If you want a DotA game where the best skilled team wins, you choose Dota 2.
  100. Jul 20, 2013

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.