Dragon Age: Origins PC

8.6

1. May 27, 2014
    DAO is a very good RPG with, as always in Bioware games, a great storyline. Although it can be hard to get into, once you are comfortable with the controls the game starts to shine.

The Good: - Excellent story and an interesting world - Voice acting is well done - Squad mates can be hilarious at times - The character creator is interesting, although not advanced - Plenty of mods

The Good:
    - Excellent story and an interesting world
    - Voice acting is well done
    - Squad mates can be hilarious at times
    - The character creator is interesting, although not advanced
    - Plenty of mods that add more to the game or adjust gameplay

The Bad:
    - It can be a challenging game to the point of frustration and there is no dificulty setting for those who just want to experience the story [without mods]
    - Combat is quite slow and there is not much item variation to spice it
    - The player character is not voice acted

Neutral:
    - Graphics are not state of the art even for it's release in 09... Not a bad thing but some people seem to really hate that
  2. Dec 5, 2016
    I almost never give anything a 10, but DA:O deserves every point. Seven years after it first hit the virtual shelves, it remains the pinnacle of the story-driven fantasy rpg. It's also the spiritual sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fans of that game will find a lot of similarities here, starting with the fact that the characters and their stories are terrific. It's hardI almost never give anything a 10, but DA:O deserves every point. Seven years after it first hit the virtual shelves, it remains the pinnacle of the story-driven fantasy rpg. It's also the spiritual sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fans of that game will find a lot of similarities here, starting with the fact that the characters and their stories are terrific. It's hard not to get attached to them, even if you occasionally want to backhand Morrigan or knock some sense into Alistair. The game play hearkens right back to the PC classics of the previous decade, which may be a plus or a minus, depending on your preference. Definitely a plus for me. Expand
  3. Jul 30, 2015
    9.5/10. Wonderfully immersive story combined with a great replayability due to the numerous strategy combinations you can set your party up to. My favorite is the mage that can beome an arcane warrior.
  4. DanielF
    Nov 3, 2009
    Having played many RPG games over the last 20 years or so (yes I know... dating myself :)) I have to admit this game threw me a little askew at first. Very little concentration on traditional magic in a fantasy game.. hmm... A bit odd there... but then I remember stories like George R.R. Martin and some of the later works by Raymond Feist and I remember the most intriguing parts of any Having played many RPG games over the last 20 years or so (yes I know... dating myself :)) I have to admit this game threw me a little askew at first. Very little concentration on traditional magic in a fantasy game.. hmm... A bit odd there... but then I remember stories like George R.R. Martin and some of the later works by Raymond Feist and I remember the most intriguing parts of any story isn't the powerful magic, but all the plots and subplots.. the twists and turns behind every quest and subquest. Delving a bit deeper into the storyline I really had a difficult time remembering that I was playing a game and not witnessing a rich story unfold from a fictional text. The story is immense, the combat challenging, and the replayablility makes me wonder why more games can't be like this. Kudos go to the Bioware team that developed this game and Kudos to anyone who takes the time to pick up this fantastic game. I can't wait to see all the additional content that will be developed for this game by the community. Expand
  5. anonymous
    Dec 3, 2009
    best RPG i played in years, even better than never winter nights and Buldur's gate (both by Bioware).
  6. IsaacK.
    Nov 25, 2009
    This game is absolutely amazing. I don't even care for the style of combat, but not only did I enjoy it I loved it. It really is depressing that a game of this caliber is outdone by a weak game like Modern Warfare 2. Playing through this game felt like being in a more brutal LotR universe, and this is not a bad thing as you get that great epic feeling. My only issue with the game is This game is absolutely amazing. I don't even care for the style of combat, but not only did I enjoy it I loved it. It really is depressing that a game of this caliber is outdone by a weak game like Modern Warfare 2. Playing through this game felt like being in a more brutal LotR universe, and this is not a bad thing as you get that great epic feeling. My only issue with the game is the lack of items, and with the game running up to 60 hours the lack of items is very noticeable. This single hole will be filled quickly by user mods I imagine, so it doesn't effect my overall score much (I'd give this a 9.5 if I could). Expand
  7. Jan 11, 2011
    Absolutely the finest single-player RPG in the history of the genre from the groundbreaking combat to the intense and richly detailed storyline. Every instant of the game is skillfully voice acted by professional actors, with several characters voiced by major celebrities.Although the combatants in your party are already skillfully scripted with advanced AI, you can dip into their tacticsAbsolutely the finest single-player RPG in the history of the genre from the groundbreaking combat to the intense and richly detailed storyline. Every instant of the game is skillfully voice acted by professional actors, with several characters voiced by major celebrities.Although the combatants in your party are already skillfully scripted with advanced AI, you can dip into their tactics and lay out in very fine detail what you wish them do in a variety of situations, allowing you to fully customize their behavior. It was sleek, streamlined, good looking, hyper-detailed and a thoroughly enjoyable romp through over 100 hours of gameplay per playthrough. a big 10 from me. Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2011
    It's not Baldur's Gate, but it is a very good game. Although slightly long-winded in places (by which I don't mean 'long' but 'lacking in variety') the negatives are far outweighed by the positive. Highly recommended.
  9. DanD
    Jan 13, 2010
    I fully enjoyed the playthrough of this and felt more like I was taking part in a movie than playing a game. The cinematics were pretty amazing and the storylines were fun and entertaining. The skill trees for the different classes were where the game was weak. The Mage class certainly had a good number of choices to customise the style of mage you wanted, but the warrior and rogue were I fully enjoyed the playthrough of this and felt more like I was taking part in a movie than playing a game. The cinematics were pretty amazing and the storylines were fun and entertaining. The skill trees for the different classes were where the game was weak. The Mage class certainly had a good number of choices to customise the style of mage you wanted, but the warrior and rogue were very limited. I found that about half of my skillpoints were useless and wished there was something better I could have put the points into. The general skills were mostly useless and disappointing. Trapmaking takes too much effort and buying all of the recipes is too expensive, then collecting all of the ingredients... Poison is even worse because if you don't have poison skill you can't apply poison - ie: can't have 1 person in the group that makes the poison and hands it out. Even then, the poisons do so little damage and last such a short time that they aren't worth it. If I had to rate just the skills, I'd give a very low score, but the graphics and storyline were quite entertaining. Oh specialisations... Also half of them are useless, but I liked how once you unlock them, you can use them in new games without re-discovering them. Expand
  10. GregC
    Nov 20, 2009
    Dragon Age: Origins is simply the most outstanding RPG in a LONG while. The combat is great, the movement is great, the story is excellent, and the freedom you have in the game is AMAZING. You are the one to decide how the story goes. You'll be finding yourself playing the game more and more! There are barely to none downsides to it!
  11. BryanR.
    Nov 3, 2009
    I have found this game to be phenomenal on PC so far, it is easily the match of its predecessors, Baldur's Gate I and II as well as Neverwinter Nights I and II. It is everything a fan of single-player western RPGS could ever hope for. What it lacks in originality (and it does try to inject some here and there) it makes up for in quality and presentation. Definitely give this game your time.
  12. Jul 20, 2011
    This is the ultimate D&D experience and successor to Baldurs Gate; the game IMHO is flawless. The element that impressed me the most is the LOVE and disproportionate time that went into the design of this game, which includes the artwork, conversations and choice trees along the plot. Even the monster battle tactics and animations were varied, rich and awesome.

The designers did not

The designers did not simply place cookie cutter dungeon walls that all look the same here and there, or cheap out on voice acting. No, the did the exact opposite. Every room looks lovingly designed to be slightly different. In a warehouse? Each room, has a different seemingly real world appearance that is different from one another. Ditto with the Dwarven caverns, and human castles, etc. Each character has a distinct personality. Does the thief use a different sword animation when she backstabs? you bet! And it looks pointy and deadly! Does the golem rock the ground simply by walking alongside you? Yes, nice touch. When a spider overwhelms your character and feasts on your prone body does it look disgusting and horrifying. Yup. Characters have different conversations with each other depending on who is in your party AND what you have accomplished in the plot and your choices. Your choices have a real impact on your game. You can even KILL some of the people that would have joined your party otherwise. It is truly mind boggling how many different plot twists there are depending on your started with (hence the origins) and what you do, and how you choose to do it. And, I know many of you are not big fans of cinematic sequences here, but the acting is really good - one scene, in a human castle, potentially was brutally heart wrenching, depending on how you chose to solve the issue.

Others here, no doubt covered the controls, the plot, etc. I liked it all, honestly, But the real point is that at a time when designers push products out the door that all look the same and bang for the buck, you KNOW they spent far far more time than they had to, to make a good game here.
  13. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and fabulous game! I have played it at least 3 times, doing all possible quests, always as a mage... i love being a mage. But now i'm playing as a human noble, and it is fantastic!!! i have all dls'c and awakaning has sucha nostalgic feeling, makes em get deeply evolved and missing the original game!!! i realy got evolved and touched by the game story and gameplay is marvelous!!! nice graphics... the only problem is that the main character should speak like in mass effect!! well, have fun, it's realy worth the try!! Expand
  14. Jan 4, 2013
    Some of the negative reviews of this game accuse the positive reviewers of only liking it because it is a Bioware game. Well, when I started playing, I hadn't played any Bioware games and didn't know their reputation. Actually, going in to this game, I was fairly skeptical. I had never played Baldur's Gate or anything similar before.

This may be my favorite game of all time. It is

This may be my favorite game of all time.

It is not a perfect game, as most people are willing to admit. Its propensity to crash and some of the wonky camera angles force me to drop my rating down to a 9. But I still love this game. The dialogue options you choose do have an effect on the game, even if it is only subtle and in the background. Some accuse it of being cliche'd and unoriginal, which baffles me. I've played many fantasy games and read thousands of fantasy books, and I find this original enough to be fresh while familiar enough to not turn me away.

The only thing that gave me pause at first was the combat system, but after I got around the fairly easy learning curve, I came to love it--the strategy and planning involved.

The story is great. The combat is great. The music is great. The graphics are...okay. Not Skyrim-level, but serviceable. I would recommend this game to anyone with even a passing interest in fantasy RPGs.

One caveat. This review is for the PC version. I watched someone play the Xbox version and was dismayed at the UI and how it affected combat. I'm certain it's still a great game, but not nearly as good as the PC version.
  15. BobbyD
    Dec 2, 2009
    This has to be the best single player RPG I have played since Final Fantasy 7. If you enjoy Bioware games, or played and liked "The Witcher" this is a must buy. It was challenging and had about 70 hours of gameplay first time through on Normal mode with over 75% of the optional quests completed. A must have for any RPG enthusiast. Very nice to have a traditional and original RPG with This has to be the best single player RPG I have played since Final Fantasy 7. If you enjoy Bioware games, or played and liked "The Witcher" this is a must buy. It was challenging and had about 70 hours of gameplay first time through on Normal mode with over 75% of the optional quests completed. A must have for any RPG enthusiast. Very nice to have a traditional and original RPG with depth and so epic to boot. Expand
  16. RodrigoQ
    Nov 7, 2009
    Though it feels like the gamecould have easily been MUCH better on the originality side, this is easily the best RPG I have played since BG2 and Planescape:Torment. Although not incredibly polished (yes I´m looking at you, armor-penetrating dwarf beard) I think thegraphics are sometimes just stunning, and beautiful. A truly immersive RPG experience!
  17. RM
    Nov 8, 2009
    I knew I would enjoy Dragon Age Origins, but after playing for about 40 hours, I realized that I wanted to marry this game and make sweet love to it by the campfire while my Mabari War Dog watches. It simply is the best CRPG I've played since Baldur's Gate 2, and in some ways, is even better. The story is engrossing, the characters are wonderful and well fleshed out, and the I knew I would enjoy Dragon Age Origins, but after playing for about 40 hours, I realized that I wanted to marry this game and make sweet love to it by the campfire while my Mabari War Dog watches. It simply is the best CRPG I've played since Baldur's Gate 2, and in some ways, is even better. The story is engrossing, the characters are wonderful and well fleshed out, and the gameplay is challenging and fun. It's been a long time since I've played a game that felt so rewarding and made me jump on for "just a few minutes" before work, or made me skip going out on a Friday night so I could keep playing. Yes, there are slight glitches, and I'm not crazy about the inventory system or the lack or a permanent inventory container, but my overall score is much closer to 10 than 9. Replayability is also not an issue, I can't wait to make my next character and see how different things can be with them. Expand
  18. PeterC
    Nov 8, 2009
    I am a old school rpg fan. Games like Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2) and Planescape: Torment still sit proudly on my desk waiting to be loaded and played. Sure, other good rpg came and went, like Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion or Mass Effect, but for a rpg junkie like me, nothing really took the edge off till Dragon Age: Origins came along. Initially, I was not overly impressed. Starting as a I am a old school rpg fan. Games like Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2) and Planescape: Torment still sit proudly on my desk waiting to be loaded and played. Sure, other good rpg came and went, like Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion or Mass Effect, but for a rpg junkie like me, nothing really took the edge off till Dragon Age: Origins came along. Initially, I was not overly impressed. Starting as a mage, I felt that the origin introduction could be more fleshed out. The game seems to be rushing to chase me out of the tower. Some conversation tree options do not really make sense and there was an elven mage in the corner who appears to be seated on thin air. Nevertheless I persevered, and by the time I was 10 hours into the game, I was hooked. Combat is challenging, in hard mode, I found myself loading the same battles again and again trying different tactics, trying to prevent my characters from dying. The new combat tactics menu required some time getting used to and a little programming knowledge to master. However, once set up properly, fights will become much easier. Naturally, there are minor flaws that marr the game - the hands are too big, fingers appear as if there was an extra joint; there are no bowstrings on bows - but all in all, I found myself being slowoly absorbed into this rich new gameworld of Thedas through a magical osmosis. Expand
  19. Jargo
    Jan 6, 2010
    Hands down the best game I've played in a good deal of years. The writing is great and the voice talent that went with the writing is not only appropriate but well picked. It challenges the player's intellect and beliefs in a way similar to how Mask of the Betrayer did. It really makes you think about what you're doing if you take the game seriously and read the text. Hands down the best game I've played in a good deal of years. The writing is great and the voice talent that went with the writing is not only appropriate but well picked. It challenges the player's intellect and beliefs in a way similar to how Mask of the Betrayer did. It really makes you think about what you're doing if you take the game seriously and read the text. It's one of those games that when you're done you are sad it is over because you feel attached to the world and feel you could do so much more for the world in that setting. Expand
  20. CanonY
    Nov 25, 2009
    I've played games most of my life, and of all genres I'm a big fan of role playing games. I remember the joy of playing final fantasy 5 for the first time. This is the pinnacle of all RPGs - a lot of work has gone into the game, and the depth shows. Dialogue appears to be endless. Literally, you could spend all day listening to the rumours in the tavern. It's much like I've played games most of my life, and of all genres I'm a big fan of role playing games. I remember the joy of playing final fantasy 5 for the first time. This is the pinnacle of all RPGs - a lot of work has gone into the game, and the depth shows. Dialogue appears to be endless. Literally, you could spend all day listening to the rumours in the tavern. It's much like reading a novel, but more involving. The action is fast and bloody. You learn to care about the characters in your party and each has their own past and personalities. I feel privileged having played such a game, it brings a big smile to my face. If you're more into button bashing or have a short attention span, then this game may not be for you but for everyone else - this is about as good as it gets. A classic in every respect. Expand
  21. Craden
    Nov 25, 2009
    This may be the best game I have ever played. At first, the controls were frustrating. I'm not used to a click to move set up. But since I've grown accustomed to that, I've found very little wrong with this game. If there is a defining characteristic of this game, it is depth. The characters have depth, the combat system has depth and the world at large has depth. The fact This may be the best game I have ever played. At first, the controls were frustrating. I'm not used to a click to move set up. But since I've grown accustomed to that, I've found very little wrong with this game. If there is a defining characteristic of this game, it is depth. The characters have depth, the combat system has depth and the world at large has depth. The fact that there is always something going on between the characters, be it banter or a more expanded dialogue, really brings this game to life. Some game worlds (Oblivion) feel lonely, like the world is scarcely populated and only by cutouts but in place to further your goals, this game is not one of them. The characters seem to have opinions and motivations independent of the player. It is true that the game incorporates a number of cliches and that the game world isn't exactly original. It is also true that the romantic interaction is a bit juvenile. But the first of these criticisms is true in general for video games. Nearly all game settings are genre based and generic to some degree (with certain exception). And as far as I'm aware, there have been few, 0 in fact, game plots that are of Pulitzer caliber. And more generally, all video games suffer from a juvenile male disposition. These things noted, this game takes small steps forward toward making video games a narrative art rather than simply a form of entertainment. This game is very much like what Borges described in his short story "The Garden of Forking Paths." It is a small glimpse at the future of interactive narrative. And for all it's flaws, it is the forebearer of the types of games that will gain video games respect in an artistic community and this, in itself, is no small accomplishment. Expand
  22. SamP
    Dec 3, 2009
    This is quite possibly the best game ever made. Disregard any review that says it is a bad game. In fact, disregard most reviews that describe any faults in the game. If any review says anything less than that Dragon Age is the best RPG ever, then they are wrong.
  23. livviem
    Nov 25, 2009
    Absolutely the pinnacle of everything Bioware's ever done. Without a doubt the best western RPG I've ever played and I loved that you finally get a proper ending for all your companions as well. Thank you Bioware, for never forgetting about the girl gamers and the romance storylines, they never fail to amaze me and you're really getting so close to perfect on that score. Absolutely the pinnacle of everything Bioware's ever done. Without a doubt the best western RPG I've ever played and I loved that you finally get a proper ending for all your companions as well. Thank you Bioware, for never forgetting about the girl gamers and the romance storylines, they never fail to amaze me and you're really getting so close to perfect on that score. Starting on my next playthrough right...now! Expand
  24. Nov 21, 2010
    This is an excellent game. Lots of fun over many, many hours. I've played many RPGs and I think this is as good as they come. The characters have distinct personalities and interact with each other in interesting ways. The game world is absorbing and fun to explore. The combat system is excellent for those like me who enjoy managing my character's actions for best effect.
  25. Mar 9, 2011
    I'd give this a 9, but there are too many 0's from people who just don't like RPGs, and don't like tactical combat. This is an RPG with tactical combat, and a story. Would you rate a lamp as zero because it's not a blender? That's absurd. If you want to run around and shoot things, play something else. There's nothing wrong with games like that. Yes, you definitely cannot trust theI'd give this a 9, but there are too many 0's from people who just don't like RPGs, and don't like tactical combat. This is an RPG with tactical combat, and a story. Would you rate a lamp as zero because it's not a blender? That's absurd. If you want to run around and shoot things, play something else. There's nothing wrong with games like that. Yes, you definitely cannot trust the AI to control your companions effectively on higher difficulties. I pause repeatedly during combat to give each minion a command, so that the timing of all spells and other actions is right. The thought of having to aim at things in real time and get good at reacting to on-screen events with well-timed and -placed mouse clicks -- not interested. It may not look as good as Oblivion or whatever (never played), but it's way the hell better than NWN2, the previous title I played. Not every choice affects outcome, but when the game ends, you will get to read what became of the different characters, towns, etc. The characters are rich, though interaction with them through conversation is by no means necessary. I could see where people would give it a point or two lower because the graphics aren't as good as X or the AI isn't as good as Y, but it's very good at what it purports to be, and any reviews you read that rank this game below about 7 are unjustified and misguided. Expand
  26. Mar 10, 2011
    I was inspired to visit this site after witnessing the absolute mockery that is DA2. What the hell happened? As soon as I got halfway through the ridiculous demo, I immediately started a new DA:O campaign. =) You know the old saying, you never realize what you've lost til it's gone. Well, the multi-character party, tactical combat-based, story-driven RPG is gone. I don't know howI was inspired to visit this site after witnessing the absolute mockery that is DA2. What the hell happened? As soon as I got halfway through the ridiculous demo, I immediately started a new DA:O campaign. =) You know the old saying, you never realize what you've lost til it's gone. Well, the multi-character party, tactical combat-based, story-driven RPG is gone. I don't know how many decision trees I have left in DA:O, but they're gonna have to last me until the rightful successor to DA:O comes along. Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2011
    Best fantasy based RPG I've ever played. Original and graphically pleasing. The only way they could have made it better is if the player character was voiced for every playable race and gender.
  28. Feb 14, 2012
    One of the best isometric role playing games ever made. Deep, intricate, fantastic storytelling - serviceable combat, and epic in length. This game surprises, thrills, and engages. It even becomes emotional and powerful throughout it's very long campaign. The world is not as inventive or quirky as planescape torment, however it's pacing is fantastic for a game of this type.
  29. May 7, 2012
    As a rule, I don't give games, movies, etc. a rating above a 9, no matter how much I may enjoy them. With Dragon Age Origins, I can honestly say it is the best game I have ever, and probably will ever play. I have played it through at least a half dozen times and am still not nearly done. If you never buy another game again, buy DA:O. The basic one alone has better characters, plot lineAs a rule, I don't give games, movies, etc. a rating above a 9, no matter how much I may enjoy them. With Dragon Age Origins, I can honestly say it is the best game I have ever, and probably will ever play. I have played it through at least a half dozen times and am still not nearly done. If you never buy another game again, buy DA:O. The basic one alone has better characters, plot line and immersion than every other game I've ever played combined. Expand
  30. Feb 9, 2012
    Wonderful game, rich, inspired, clever. Deep story abd realistic combat made for an unforgettable experience. A must have for all RPGs fan. Ignore the sequel as its a very inferior product in every aspect.
  31. Feb 29, 2012
    I picked up Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition during a Gamefly sale, and for $7.49, this has been the best value that I've ever gotten for my gaming dollars. Dragon Age gripped me from the moment that I started playing it, and after over 100 hours of gameplay, I'm still having a blast.

To me, Dragon Age plays a lot like a single player linear-ish MMO, if that makes any sense. Because you can set a "casting priority list" for each of your party members, switch characters whenever you want, and issue commands while the game is paused....yeah, I really felt like I was using special mind control powers over a fairly typical MMO party. Once you add in some great character development and dialogue, the kind that BioWare is well known for, along with a gripping story, the result is an RPG classic. Origins is a can't miss game for anyone who loves mages and warriors and rogues and stuff.

Dragon Age isn't a perfect game, as no game is, but for the sake of bumping up the score, I feel compelled to give it a 10 out of 10 (after all, I can't select 9.5, which is what I think it deserves). I'll also mention that the extensive DLC content, as well as the Awakening expansion, just add more of what makes Origins itself so much fun. If you haven't played Origins at all yet, then I definitely would recommend buying the Ultimate Edition.
  32. KennyO
    Dec 8, 2009
    I just finished my first time through on a PC version of the game playing it on the hard difficulty - it took a little over 100 hours. [I'm going to guess that it's unplayable on XBOX (as was Oblivion) - but that's the platform and not the game's fault.] The relationship dynamics and choosing story line is engaging. This is easily the best video game I've ever I just finished my first time through on a PC version of the game playing it on the hard difficulty - it took a little over 100 hours. [I'm going to guess that it's unplayable on XBOX (as was Oblivion) - but that's the platform and not the game's fault.] The relationship dynamics and choosing story line is engaging. This is easily the best video game I've ever played, regardless of genre, because the storyline requires thinking in terms of relationships, past conversations, and future outcomes. Hard difficulty means having to pause during battle often to micromanage, unless you find some good tactics and have programmed the individual character tactics effectively. Early in the game the incessant conversations can be tedious, and late in the game the incessant battles become a little tedious too - but overall this is a stunning and beautiful experience. Expand
  33. RyanB
    Jan 11, 2010
    Dragon Age Origins is one of those kinds of games that when you look at it, you go "Oh hey, Bioware makes great RPGs". But DAO surpasses the expectations that many gamers have, with its gritty realism in difficult sequences, it's lack of moral compass, amazingly well thought out combat system, and its superb RPG elements. It leaves near nothing to be desired, and Bioware is Dragon Age Origins is one of those kinds of games that when you look at it, you go "Oh hey, Bioware makes great RPGs". But DAO surpasses the expectations that many gamers have, with its gritty realism in difficult sequences, it's lack of moral compass, amazingly well thought out combat system, and its superb RPG elements. It leaves near nothing to be desired, and Bioware is determined to make it even more of a hit with the new expansion pack on its way later this year. The almost constant flow of addons produced by Bioware is also a big plus for many of us gamers, as well as the many player-made mods. Overall, it is an amazing game, and will be the epitome of RPGs for years to come...unless Bioware releases something better :P Expand
  34. IvanG
    Jan 14, 2010
    This is one of the BEST RPGs out there. And i need to say again that this is not a game like fallout, world of warcraft that you rush in and kill all NPC's in a room, this is a TACTICAL game you need to use tactics to survive. The best feature is to pause the game and plan the tactics of every character. A MUST HAVE
  35. CaseyD.
    Jan 29, 2010
    It took some time to start enjoying this game. Once I got the hang of it, I couldn't stop playing it. The story is solid, the graphics are great, and best of all I feel like I got my money's worth. Good job BioWare. Looking forward to the expansions!
  36. PaulS.
    Feb 6, 2010
    An incredible game. The combat is perfectly balanced and requires tactical thinking, and the multitude of skills you can choose for your characters combined with the easy swap-out of party members creates a huge variety of options in how you approach each battle. The plot, writing of the characters, voice acting, and presentation are among the best of any game I've ever played - only An incredible game. The combat is perfectly balanced and requires tactical thinking, and the multitude of skills you can choose for your characters combined with the easy swap-out of party members creates a huge variety of options in how you approach each battle. The plot, writing of the characters, voice acting, and presentation are among the best of any game I've ever played - only other Bioware games are in the same league. Best of all, unlike many role-playing games, in this game you actually play a role - your choices have a believable impact on every encounter, and though you aren't free to enter every house or visit every hilltop, you ARE free to play exactly the kind of character you would want to be. It's a thought-provoking and memorable artistic experience, as well as a polished and challenging tactical game. Top-notch. Expand
  37. SquareBear
    Nov 5, 2009
    Dragon Age Origins is 80% Baldur's Gate, 10% World of Warcraft and 10% Neverwinter Nights. Yes Baldur's Gate II fanatics, rejoice. You have waited 10 years... suffered through endless pathetic dark alliance clones, shed tears over the blandness of NWN, and endured the countless mockery of the console crowd as you continued to replay your dusty copies of BG2 like some old timer Dragon Age Origins is 80% Baldur's Gate, 10% World of Warcraft and 10% Neverwinter Nights. Yes Baldur's Gate II fanatics, rejoice. You have waited 10 years... suffered through endless pathetic dark alliance clones, shed tears over the blandness of NWN, and endured the countless mockery of the console crowd as you continued to replay your dusty copies of BG2 like some old timer in front of a drugstore with nothing better to do than talk about the good ol' days. Well now the good ol' days are back. Dragon Age Origins is the real deal. It has a very worthy and thoughtful story, non-linear progression, sidequests, dialogue, character interaction, challenging tactical battles and all the other features that will make you rejoice at the return of the classic Pc Rpg. First off the graphics are amazing. Beautiful even. Its very obvious that the game was designed to bring the vivid backgrounds of BG2 to life on the screen in 3d. You will see for yourself when you get into the game how each screen looks as if it could become a still portrait and have little avatars plod along it. Character animation and combat animation are also superb. The character closeups even your detailed main character, whom you can fine tune nearly every feature of, is shown live in the cutscenes which appear to be movie quality. The combat animations are also forceful and realistic. Fireballs especially, as they explode into jets of rolling flame and blast their targeted pack down and outward from the point of impact. The combat system revolves around abilities and talent trees in a way that you can compare closely to World of Warcraft. Each character class has several mini talent trees to choose from depending on how you wish to play and specialize. For instance, warriors can choose 2 handers, dual wielding or sword and shield and their talents will all enhance that style of play. And there really are a lot of talents available for each of the classes. The story is probably the game's strongest element. It's grizzly and entrancing, truly living up to its title as a "Dark Fantasy Epic". Bioware has created a world of their own and fleshed it out with countless details and history. You also have many moral directions to take the story to, and the gameplay progression branches off from its linear path to half a dozen different ones right after the first chapter. There are also 6 different ways to start the game and you will be assigned a background story depending on which class and race you choose. This background will stay with you throughout the game and has an impact on many of your interactions. As far as the characters go, I'm very happy to say that they are up to the standard that you would expect from a spiritual sequel to BG2. All are well written, well acted and have frequent interjections, outbursts, arguments and discussions that really immerse you in the game. You can converse with any of them at any given time to pry stories from them or learn special skills. Characters can be given gifts that suit their personalities and will gain bonuses when their approval rating of you increases. There's even a bit of romance possible and a female bard that's a dead ringer for Imoen (Knock yourselves out fellas). My only complaints about the game come from an obsessive fanaticism for the ancient (10 year old) Baldur's Gate 2. And they are as follows... I don't like that you cannot zoom the camera out far enough to see the battlefield as it is somewhat leashed to your character. The top down tactical view seems to be the 7th deadly sin in the console world, but I'm pretty sure it can be implemented completely for us old fashioned PC users who miss their classic gaming. The second thing is the 4 character limitation to your active party. I'm sure there was some technical or balance reason for this, but again, we infinity gamers liked our 6 character parties and really hoped to not have any kind of silly limitation. The good news is that your characters that you "Collect" always remain in your party, just not in your active party. When you are in camp you get to interact with them all at once. And unless your in a dungeon you can swap between them in what is pretty much the character select screen from Diablo 2. An ironic testament to the blatant copycatting between Blizzard and Bioware in the olden days. (Maybe this is a signal to blizzard that their old nemesis is back). The last thing that I don't especially approve of is the instant healing between battles and automatic revivals after battle. This is somewhat of a realism killer and removes the need to have a cleric around. But the game does such a good job of making the actual battles challenging enough to where you will definitely want a healer. It also penalizes you for dying by giving you stacks of injuries that lower stats and cannot be cured too easily. Overall, if your a fan of the old Infinity Engine Rpg's your going to love this, plain and simple. It blends the very best of the old and the new in a way that should make all but the most brain dead of console cretin cutscene skippers or the most fanatical infinity engine junkies happy. Now someone needs to put Minsc in there pronto. Expand
  38. HenkR
    Jan 7, 2010
    This game has urged me to make my first post on this website. The reason behind this: I had to up the number on this game! This game is the first game in about 10 years that finally gave me the same feeling as the Baldur's Gate series of Planescape Torment gave me: of sheer and utter pleasure. Now i admit to the fact that this game is in fact not for everybody. Moreover, it's This game has urged me to make my first post on this website. The reason behind this: I had to up the number on this game! This game is the first game in about 10 years that finally gave me the same feeling as the Baldur's Gate series of Planescape Torment gave me: of sheer and utter pleasure. Now i admit to the fact that this game is in fact not for everybody. Moreover, it's very likely that most of u won't even like this game. I mean, read the ra(n)tings of some people below me. The reason for this is that Dragon Age was defeloped as a (semi) hardcore squad-based rpg that closely resembles D&D. The fact that the game is rather hardcore shows in the way u have to use a variety of tactics, pause a lot, personally command your companions and actually think about the actions u make in this world. U can't expect to stomp through this game, u have to take your time, let it grow and make sure u spend a shitload of time tinkering your squad and gear (especially on higher difficulties) Because seriously: the AI ain't bad, you're just supposed to do it yourself. Just pause, reposition your squad, pick the abilities they need to use and just do it yourself. This is no diablo, this is baldur's gate revisited! The game doesn't do shit if you don't do it yourself and some people (like me) love the fact that you are truly in controll. Heck, it's either command or die and i love it. Expand
  39. OliverS
    Jan 7, 2010
    This is a positively engaging, beautiful and epic game. While unashamedly retro, you can make it as deep as you want. If you want to pause between every fight and manage your team's AI, you can. But if you want the computer to deal with AI and play in real-time, you can also do that. But the real shine in this game is from the dialogue, depth, amount of choices and just purely how This is a positively engaging, beautiful and epic game. While unashamedly retro, you can make it as deep as you want. If you want to pause between every fight and manage your team's AI, you can. But if you want the computer to deal with AI and play in real-time, you can also do that. But the real shine in this game is from the dialogue, depth, amount of choices and just purely how engaging it is. If you want to play a game purely for fun, maybe not so much for you. But this is like reading a fully interactive novel where you can explore every facet in any amount of detail. I realise many find this boring simply because story and dialogue are not so important to them. But that is really where this shines :D. Expand
  40. MichaelJ
    Nov 6, 2009
    To put it simply: Awesome game! Bioware really lived up to their reputation as one of the best RPG developers on the PC and DAO surpasses classic RPG´s like "Baldurs Gate" and Neverwinter nights" in my humble opinion. I gave it a 10 because i couldnt give it 9.7, the reason for that is that it still has some very minor flaws, but those are not gamebreaking flaws but simply a matter To put it simply: Awesome game! Bioware really lived up to their reputation as one of the best RPG developers on the PC and DAO surpasses classic RPG´s like "Baldurs Gate" and Neverwinter nights" in my humble opinion. I gave it a 10 because i couldnt give it 9.7, the reason for that is that it still has some very minor flaws, but those are not gamebreaking flaws but simply a matter of my personal opinion that some things could have been done better, for example i feel like the areas are too small and its not possible to go exploring like in NWN. But this is on of the only games i ever played so much without getting tired of the game, it is one of those games any RPG gamer just HAS to have in his or her collection. Expand
  41. Oct 14, 2011
    Good, solid Fantasy RPG. Nothing revolutionary, but definitely worth the money. The storyline was immersive, the characters were interesting, and the graphics were sufficient (not great though). Too bad Dragon Age II was apparently such a disaster, if it had been more like Origins it probably would have done a lot better.
  42. Mar 15, 2011
    Oops, I came here to write to review of Dragon Age 2 and accidentally posted it in the Origins review site.

I'll re-review to wipe out my bad rating for Origins! Origins is one of the best games ever created. If you like RPG or tactical combat, you'll love Origins.
  43. Apr 17, 2012
    It is really beautiful. Very long and very captivating. You'll find yourself completely living in that world. I didn't want it to end. The story is very strong, even has political subtexts and the gameplay is very fun. I strongly recommend this to anyone who likes RPG. Don't even hesitate.
  44. Jul 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story was brilliant and highly immersive. This game truly played on my emotions, from the tragic to the comic. The power struggle in my warden's relationship with Morrigan reminded me of real-life. Alistair's social ineptitude made me laugh. When I played a female warden and romanced him I acquired a previously unknown-to-me rapport with women in general. The voice actors were brilliant. The dramatic events were staged with cinematographic insight. The music was inspiring. The game isn't perfect, and the combat tended to degenerate into freeze and smash (cone of cold beats everything), but I don't play these games for the combat and overall this is what RPGs should be. (Too bad about the turd of a sequel...) Expand
  45. Jul 17, 2011
    After over 500 hours of playing this game, I have to say that this is probably one of my all time most favorite games ever. I especially loved the story, the battle structure and the dialogue. The dialogue/conversations are awesome, I have never laughed or cried so much for just one thing be it game, movie or book. You get so immersed in the story and the companions that they almost seemsAfter over 500 hours of playing this game, I have to say that this is probably one of my all time most favorite games ever. I especially loved the story, the battle structure and the dialogue. The dialogue/conversations are awesome, I have never laughed or cried so much for just one thing be it game, movie or book. You get so immersed in the story and the companions that they almost seems real. I adored the romance aspect of it, it was such an interesting way to affect gameplay. I only have one small complaint-the item juggling got old after a while. Yes, the party chest was handy but I got pretty tired of constantly tromping up there to see if the items I'd just won were better than what I already had stored away. That compared to the awesomeness of the rest of the game though, it's hardly worth mentioning. Expand
  46. Jul 5, 2012
    Brilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easyBrilliant game. The person who complained about the AI is playing the wrong type of game. You aren't supposed to stand still and watch your players fight. You are supposed to think and work out how to use your team's mix of skills, and tell them what to do. It works very well: in hard battles you can keep pausing to keep track of everything going on and give new instructions. In easy battles you can give a few commands and let it play out. The really great thing about the game is the moral dilemmas. Time and again I was suprised that a quest to go and beat someone up turned into an interesting conversation where I became sympathetic to them and had to think to decide what to do. This is gaming at its very best. Expand
  47. Jul 28, 2011
    (10.0)Almost a perfect game. Though combat needs to be a little more dynamic, story, characters, depth, perfect.
    It's epic and absolutely worth buying, it has like 50-60 hours long, one of the best games of the last 4, 5 years for sure.
  48. Oct 19, 2011
    Great story. I love how many ways there are and how mayn descisions you can make. Of course they will all lead to the final battle, but well, it's still a game- I can't really understand why other players critisize the A.I. cause it works perfectly for me. you can even change every behaviour of every single party member. what more do you want? and keeping the defaults won't even be stupidGreat story. I love how many ways there are and how mayn descisions you can make. Of course they will all lead to the final battle, but well, it's still a game- I can't really understand why other players critisize the A.I. cause it works perfectly for me. you can even change every behaviour of every single party member. what more do you want? and keeping the defaults won't even be stupid just not perfect. so if you like RPG buy it. oh one thing: if you hate long dialogs with a perfect synchro don't buy it. but if you love playing a movie (thats overexerating) buy it :D Expand
  49. Dec 10, 2013
    I wrote this review, because of the negative marks and low average score this game got. I mean, 8.5 REALLY This game is true to the baldur's gate inheritance and has amazing scenario, graphics, music, ethical choices, spell and fight system and I got the best thief-assasin character ever... For me it is a clear 10
  50. Dec 3, 2012
    EPIC RPG GAME EVER MADE ON PC
    nothing to say about this game just love it every charecters just made perfectly
    played over 10 times
    never regret playing this game
  51. Aug 16, 2014
    A classic that is still the benchmark today for true RPG. Everything comes together in such magical ways that words cannot describe. It is an enchanting,enthralling,epic adventure that you'll never forget.

Graphics=9
    Music=10
    Gameplay=9
    Story=10
  52. Nov 22, 2014
    There are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player'sThere are few "real" RPG, almost all are "Action-RPG" in which you fight with "player's skills", dodging and attacking with mouse and keyboard movements, except few ones like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age Origins (not Dragon Age 2, of course). I will call them "Canonic-RPG" those in which your character fights "automatically" based only in its stats, not on player's manipulation, you can love or hate this kind of RPG but one thing is true: there are so few of them, and this is one of the best, with two points of view (isometric and third person), an epic story with unforgettable moments, the "cinematic" dialogue from NWN2, and a solid toolset that allowed more than 2000 mods. What more could may be asked to a game? Expand
  53. Feb 25, 2011
    Awesome game, one of the few I have logged over 40hours in. 120 and counting. Love the combat system. People have complained about the AI but that is what the tactics menu is for. Being able to pause game and micro manage everything is one of the best parts though!
  54. Mar 8, 2011
    One of the greatest RPG's ever made. I'm playing it a 2nd time around and it gets even more enjoyable after you've played it through once, believe it or not.
  55. JimH
    Feb 14, 2010
    I had been disappointed by the last couple rpg's put out by Bioware. Neverwinter Nights 1 was so bland, NWN2 was a little better with the return of party based play. The combat in Mass Effect was so terrible I was disgusted I spent even 15 bucks on it. Dragon Age blows them out of the water. The combat is terrific and demands careful thinking and different tactics battle to battle. I had been disappointed by the last couple rpg's put out by Bioware. Neverwinter Nights 1 was so bland, NWN2 was a little better with the return of party based play. The combat in Mass Effect was so terrible I was disgusted I spent even 15 bucks on it. Dragon Age blows them out of the water. The combat is terrific and demands careful thinking and different tactics battle to battle. If you're hoping to control only your main character and let the AI handle the others ala kotor or nwn1 FORGET ABOUT IT! If you love the care needed in BG2 and managing every character carefully this is the game for you. I couldn't get enough of the constant challenge. Furthermore I was very impressed that every single piece of dialogue in the entire game is spoken and voice acted very well. Several NPC interactions had me laughing out loud. Yes, many of the conversations are long but you won't hear me complaining about more game. My only complaint is that the rogue class seemed useless, although that is only after my first play through. In fact I would never use them at all, instead using a mage, mage, tank, tank line up and ignoring locked chests. Overall, the quests were well varied, the plot was great, the combat was near perfect, the graphics were terrific and my expectations were exceeded. Bravo to Bioware for a return to form. Expand
  56. Nov 19, 2014
    Still an absolute gem of a game. The combat is just right and the story is engaging, especially the deep roads bit Would've loved to see more content being published for this, rather than 2 forgetable expansions.
  57. JoshT
    Nov 8, 2009
    I've played Oblivion, both Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout 3, Crysis, and many other games (as my basis of comparison). This Dragon Age Origins far exceeded my expectations of what i though the game would be like. All the crappy Youtube and internet videos i watched of the actual gameplay matched nothing towards how nice the graphics were in-game play. Of course, I've played Oblivion, both Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout 3, Crysis, and many other games (as my basis of comparison). This Dragon Age Origins far exceeded my expectations of what i though the game would be like. All the crappy Youtube and internet videos i watched of the actual gameplay matched nothing towards how nice the graphics were in-game play. Of course, we're not looking at Crysis type graphics (which i consider to be the best of any game i played in graphics quality) but i would say the graphics are right around Oblivion graphics quality. I heard that the console versions of the game got the brunt-end version of the game, but its awesome on PC. I love how the combat system is set up. You can pick a class that is suitable as a tank, dps, or healer(mages heal) and play the game since other party members can do the other roles that you don't have on your main character. What makes this game different than any other game that i have played is the seemingly flawless storytelling involved with the NPC characters you interact with. The characters make eye contact, fold their arms, look angry, happy, or sad very realistically when you talk to them. I've played perhaps 20 hours into the game and am hooked for going on for a lot more. This is the most unique game that i have gotten in a while for sure. Expand
  58. EdwardC
    Dec 13, 2009
    I am 50 years old and have been playing PC or video games since the release of pong in the 1970's. I have played all kinds of Genre
  59. HowardJ
    Dec 27, 2009
    The Best Bioware game produced to date. A deep storyline and interesting environments combine to create the best RPG in a long time. Good to see that game developers are willing to put this much effort into game which is not intended to leech money off its players every month (MMOs).
  60. JonasH
    Dec 27, 2009
    This game made me believe in Role-Playing Games again.
  61. Oct 16, 2010
    This is a great game. First the interface is easy to grasp and intuitive. Second, the combat is enjoyable for those who are into more than just hack and slash. The story is very good, but as with all RPGs that only lasts the first play through. The romance aspect continued to be intriguing for many plays. I have done guy on girl, girl on girl, and both in the same play (but you haveThis is a great game. First the interface is easy to grasp and intuitive. Second, the combat is enjoyable for those who are into more than just hack and slash. The story is very good, but as with all RPGs that only lasts the first play through. The romance aspect continued to be intriguing for many plays. I have done guy on girl, girl on girl, and both in the same play (but you have to choose). Three complaints. One is that after the first play it would be great if the dialogue could be bypassed. I use the escape key but it would be nicer if it could be bypassed even faster. Second, the "treasure" just does not measure up as you move up. Often times you are just picking up junk. Alternately, get rid of the pack limit so we don't have to chose. Also, change the loot function so we can just take everything at once. The multiple and egregious clicking does not add anything to the game. Those are minor flaws and they often exist in the best games. This is a best game. You will get how to play this game right away and you will enjoy it through the end. Expand
  62. Feb 17, 2011
    Since Baldur's Gate and NeverWinter Night ... I was waiting for a worthy successor.
    When i ordered Dragon Age first time, i was a little bit impatient. When i got the game, i was like a child.
    The game mechanics themselves aren't really innovating, graphisms are not wonderfull, but ambiance, in game scenario, different possibilities, choices, and endings are really greats. To shorten my
    To shorten my critic, i just can say that this game is one of my favorites.
    I'm waiting impatiently Dragon Age 2 !
  63. Mar 11, 2011
    replaying this game right now, to get the taste of the taste of the decidedly inferior sequel out of my mouth. looking over my previous saves, apparently i spent well over three hundred hours playing. numerous characters, every ending in the book. still just a great game in every way, and even more glaringly obvious what's been lost when you compare it to DA2.
  64. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is very decent and features a solid plot along with many different little paths that can greatly alter your experience. However, it failed to give me the desire to continue playing, as combat was slow, and progress, seemingly insignificant.
  65. Nov 21, 2014
    A masterpiece of gaming, Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best RPG games in history. From the start, you are pulled in to a unique and irresistible story line filled with unique and well-written companions and NPCs. Your choices can make all the difference in DAO, and never feels contrived. From the beginning to the end of the game, you will feel totally immersed in the Kingdom ofA masterpiece of gaming, Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best RPG games in history. From the start, you are pulled in to a unique and irresistible story line filled with unique and well-written companions and NPCs. Your choices can make all the difference in DAO, and never feels contrived. From the beginning to the end of the game, you will feel totally immersed in the Kingdom of Fereldon.

Pros:

-Solid plot and story arc
    -Exceptionally well written companions, with ample opportunity for character development
    -User decisions have real effect on the game
    -"Thought provoking" plot with many excellent commentaries on present day issues
    -Ability to experience several different locations/settings
    -Ability to have your experience shaped by user origin--your character's history has some impact on the game

Cons:

-No main character voice-over
    -Clunky crafting system

This game should be on any gamer's "must play" list!
  66. May 25, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time, with amazing depth and story. I've revisited it a couple of times with some of the mods created by the community to keep it fresh. (Thanks for "Skip the Fade" mod!) The voice acting and storytelling are truly top-notch, and I actually cared for the characters. It's unfortunate that DA2 was such a letdown, being the Phantom Menace to DA:O's EmpireOne of my favorite games of all time, with amazing depth and story. I've revisited it a couple of times with some of the mods created by the community to keep it fresh. (Thanks for "Skip the Fade" mod!) The voice acting and storytelling are truly top-notch, and I actually cared for the characters. It's unfortunate that DA2 was such a letdown, being the Phantom Menace to DA:O's Empire Strikes Back that leaves a taint. Expand
  67. Jul 31, 2011
    Definitely a worthy unofficial successor to the Baldur's Gate series although it limits the open-worldness of BG. Had a blast with the story/choices you can make in the game as well as the graphical detail/smoothness of gameplay. The combat was varied and the decisions you make while paused actually matters. NPC reactions were often pretty well designed although I am very disappointedDefinitely a worthy unofficial successor to the Baldur's Gate series although it limits the open-worldness of BG. Had a blast with the story/choices you can make in the game as well as the graphical detail/smoothness of gameplay. The combat was varied and the decisions you make while paused actually matters. NPC reactions were often pretty well designed although I am very disappointed that Bioware decided to add "mission boards" for the side quests instead of promoting exploration. AI has also been improved from their previous games as well. Expand
  68. Oct 30, 2011
    I don't normally like linear and scripted RPG's but this turned out to be very well written and entertaining. The combat was fun and changing the party make up provided refreshingly different play styles. Combat scripting was nice to have but it was even better to have a pause option and micro manage each battle if you wanted to. I really couldn't put this game down until I finished it.
  69. Nov 10, 2011
    Could not stop playing it till i beat it 3 or 4 times. I had to see every ending, every corner of the game. it was so immersive. I can't really think of another game that I felt as compelled to play.
  70. Nov 12, 2011
    Amazing game, sadly the follow up, Dragon age 2 was horrible.. : ( I wish they had spent a year or so longer developing the second game and insured that it would be just as good as the first one
  71. Nov 19, 2014
    This game is probably the last of the Bioware’s RPG legacy slowly corrode by Mass Effect saga and finally lost in Dragon Age 2, I hope Inquisition would return to that legacy but meanwhile Origins is the last "Canon-RPG". Unlike ARPGs as The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity II and above (great games but in other category), in Origins you use your stats to fight, not your ability withThis game is probably the last of the Bioware’s RPG legacy slowly corrode by Mass Effect saga and finally lost in Dragon Age 2, I hope Inquisition would return to that legacy but meanwhile Origins is the last "Canon-RPG". Unlike ARPGs as The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity II and above (great games but in other category), in Origins you use your stats to fight, not your ability with keyboard/mouse, you can like or hate this, but is only the system, and Origins is the best in this system. So, we already have dozens of good ARPGs to play, Origins is the last of its kind. Expand
  72. Jul 22, 2012
    Best thing about Dragon Age is the Neverwinter/Baldurs feel and gameplay but with its own unique style. Love the story and the characters i agree with some of the other users that their criticsims are off target!!! Would recommend and is among my top 10
  73. Aug 22, 2012
    Quite simply one of my favourite games of all time. The characters are memorable, the combat is challenging and reminiscent of Baldur's Gate and the game is very lengthy and full of content, especially if you got the Ultimate Edition like I did that has all the DLC and the expansion pack. The graphics are a little muddy looking but it gave the game a darker tone which is desperately neededQuite simply one of my favourite games of all time. The characters are memorable, the combat is challenging and reminiscent of Baldur's Gate and the game is very lengthy and full of content, especially if you got the Ultimate Edition like I did that has all the DLC and the expansion pack. The graphics are a little muddy looking but it gave the game a darker tone which is desperately needed in the fantasy game genre *coughcoughFinalFantasycough*. The story can be a little generic with the whole save the world thing but it has many multiple paths and choices to be made. Speaking of choices, the game has TONS of them, even more than Mass Effect I dare say. Your main character not being voiced also allows for role playing. Overall, amazing game and the best Western RPG I've ever played. Expand
  74. Jan 31, 2013
    The last dying gasp of the bioware that made KOTOR and Baldurs Gate. Dragon age: origins is the perhaps the best RPG of the decade (and this coming from a mass effect 1 fan). This game once again proves that next to story quality: graphics mean nothing. And damn the story delivers! I haven`t seen writing this superb since KOTORs 1 and 2.

Here`s my recomendation: If you like story

Here`s my recomendation: If you like story oriented, well written RPGs that require a little of your patience: Dragon age origins is the game for you.
  75. Sep 24, 2013
    Sencillamente, sublime. Llevo jugándolo desde 2009 (y lo que me queda) y no me canso en absoluto. Totalmente recomendado para los amantes de los rpg's.
  76. Jun 19, 2014
    I've spoken with one of the bad reviewers of this game in an MMO I play. According to him, Skyrim is the definition of an RPG and this game doesn't qualify...too much story, talking, companion play, and lack of OP snipe instakill your enemies from afar. Anything less than those graphics or that level of openended play is just a disgrace. Quite frankly, I get bored with Skyrim afterI've spoken with one of the bad reviewers of this game in an MMO I play. According to him, Skyrim is the definition of an RPG and this game doesn't qualify...too much story, talking, companion play, and lack of OP snipe instakill your enemies from afar. Anything less than those graphics or that level of openended play is just a disgrace. Quite frankly, I get bored with Skyrim after about L40...too easy and too repetitive, and the story is kind of meh. I've yet to finish it. If you like a good story, lore, Bioware, and witty banter, then play this game.

TACTICS REQUIRED. For anyone who has ever played an MMORPG and just /facepalmed in a raid because folks are asleep at the helm, you'll love the combat here. You can pause at your whim and tell everyone exactly what to do and when to do it. It's refreshing. Being Bioware with their Baldur/Neverwinter background, friendly fire is a thing. You can't just easy mode spam stack AoE on the party and steamroll. You can't fireball the entire group because you will blow up your companions too unless you put some planning into it. Boo hoo. I don't play on anything less than nightmare and it's good. Just difficult enough to keep it interesting...if you're not a steamroll fanatic.

If you can only have fun in combat when you can faceroll through every fight, then you will hate this game.

COMPANIONS: Great voice acting. The bickering. The camaraderie. The romance. This piece makes the game so much more enjoyable than something like Skyrim which is a kind of quiet and lonely place. Much thought went into the dialogue here, well beyond taking an arrow to the knee. Want new dialogue? Mix and match your party members. Each combination queues different dialogues. And no, they're not on repeat.

THE LORE: I usually get bored here. I usually skip this part, spam through text and get to the fighting. DA did it right, built a world on some very simple ideas and went deep with those simple ideas. Mages and their power inspired an entire religion and legal system and not to their advantage which saturates the landscape of Thedas, as one example. Your companions reactions to one another add more nuance to the perceptions of this world.

THE GRAPHICS: Yes, there's some clunkiness. If you've played NWN2 or any other Bioware game you'll recognize the circles around the feet of your companions and such. Combat is similar to these older games when it comes to stabbing something with a dagger. Spells...fast and easy. If story and game immersion > graphics for you, you just won't care. I still play Neverwinter Nights 1 on occasion, so, meh. The polish of this game isn't in the graphics, it's in the gameplay, story, and characters, which is as it should be. Quality over mere visual distraction.

REPLAYABILITY: Yes. And then some.
  77. Jul 12, 2014
    My number one favorite game of all time! I am one who loves RPG fantasy games, and this one takes the cake for one of the best RPG games I've ever played. Sure, the plot isn't exactly something new, but somehow, all the elements of the game work together to make an epic, well-rounded game.
  78. Aug 16, 2014
    One of the best games I ever played.T he game give you lots of choice. Some of the best voice acting i ever heard. The conversations between characters wile you go places is so much fun to listen too. So if your a medieval fan this game you will not want to miss. It has all the swords, mythical beasts, and armor you could want.
  79. Oct 14, 2014
    To cut a long story short, this is a game worthy of the western RPG legacy. I had never thought of creating an account to review games, but the outrage and propaganda around Dragon Age prompted me to do it. The rating for this game is 9.1.
    This is a correct rating, as this game plays in the tradition of the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series. It includes all features expected in an RPG of this sort, most notably in terms of gameplay.
    BUY IT. BUY THE EXPANSIONS.
    DO NOT BUY ITS DISGRACEFUL SEQUEL that managed to humiliate Bioware, alienate the fan base of RPG games and ultimately destroy the best thing in RPGs since Baldur's Gate II.
    There is one lesson to be learnt from the Dragon Age game series: If there is a fan base, there is something that people love. If people love something, sell it to them. Do not try to make it common, so that more people will buy it. Not everything needs to be sold to everyone.
    You can destroy customer satisfaction, as long as you do not destroy customer loyalty: everyone would settle with a DA2 that would be very similar, if not identical with the first, as long as it gave to people those things that made them loyal to the franchise and the legacy it represents.
    Change these things, and you lose your customers' loyalty. It no longer matters if your end product is good or bad, because it has become IRRELEVANT.
  80. Dec 5, 2014
    I had to replay Origins after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, now I'm returning again after the disappointment of Inquisition... This was the last Bioware's child after being acquired by EA a 100% Bioware's RPG in the natural evolution from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

By playing this game you feel the same deep RPG immersion when everything is in its placed and you are guided through a deep fantasy world, you get immersed in the story since the character creation, all dialogues makes you feel in an epic adventure and the gameplay is the same as Baldur's Gate but modernized with the isometric camera with an optional close point of view (unlike DA2 and Inquisition in which the isometric is an uncomfortable optional...).

The toolset is also in line with previous Neverwinter Nights tradition and it incredibly expanded this jewel of game (another feature lost by its successors). I've lost all hope in Bioware, they are in the ARPG way (which is not bad if is part of their soul like Bethesda's sagas, but coming from deep RPGs makers is a tragedy), now we have real RPGs like Divinity Original Sin or Torment: Tides of Numenera, and this last jewel of the original Bioware's soul to replay and mod time to time.
  81. Nov 18, 2014
    Masterful. Epic in scope. Wonderful, wonderful characters. This is the RPG I was dreaming about. I did three complete play-throughs with different characters before I was satisfied and had a goofy grin on my face each time!
  82. Nov 23, 2014
    This is my personal opinion, so you should be aware, that your view of the game could differ.

+ Best story i have ever seen. + Good Character Development. + Immersion. + Tactical Combat. + Good Voice Acting. + High Replayability. + Unique Origins. +/- The Graphics arent the best. (But i dont really care about graphic) +/- AI is a bit..... well lets call it strange, but it

+ Best story i have ever seen.
    + Good Character Development.
    + Immersion.
    + Tactical Combat.
    + Good Voice Acting.
    + High Replayability.
    + Unique Origins.

+/- The Graphics arent the best. (But i dont really care about graphic)
    +/- AI is a bit..... well lets call it strange, but it doesn`t make the game unplayable.
    +/- Some parts of the story are a bit cliche.

- Combat is difficult to master (in the beginning.)
    - Your Char is a staring mute.... kinda scary.....
  83. Nov 25, 2014
    With Dragon Age 2 being so horrendous, and Dragon Age Inquisition a dumbed down console piece of garbage I decided to come back to my favorite game ever back before EA ruined it.

I signed up just to give Origins a 10/10 and Inquisition a 0/10.
  84. Nov 30, 2014
    Dragon Age: Origins is exactly what I want from an RPG, or for that matter, any video game. It is constantly engaging. I never felt for a minute like there wasn't something to do. The crisis was just critical enough that I always felt like it needed to be attended to, but it wasn't so critical that doing a sidequest felt like a bad decision. The sidequests, always had at least a smallDragon Age: Origins is exactly what I want from an RPG, or for that matter, any video game. It is constantly engaging. I never felt for a minute like there wasn't something to do. The crisis was just critical enough that I always felt like it needed to be attended to, but it wasn't so critical that doing a sidequest felt like a bad decision. The sidequests, always had at least a small amount of their own story. I might be helping a mother missing her child, I might be saving the sacred animals of a tribe, or I might be helping the sheriff stop crime in the capital. Even if the execution of the quest was typical, the effort was there to make it seem like part of a real world. And that's what I want from a video game, a cohesive place that feels real. Asking me to kill 10 boars when the boars respawn infinitely feels stupid and breaks me out of a game. This game never feels that way. Once you kill enemies, they're dead. Characters have real wants and needs, and if you satisfy them, they'll be greatful, if you don't, they'll be mad. If I could ever play another game with this breadth and depth again I'd be happy, but I don't see it coming. Expand
  85. Mar 15, 2015
    In my 30 years of gaming, Dragon Age Origins is my favourite game of all time. No other game has pulled me in and immersed me in the way this game did. With a brilliantly crafted game world, a cast of fascinating and likeable characters, multiple intersecting storylines, and well designed tactical party based combat Origins hits all the gameplay marks. If the game can be said to have anyIn my 30 years of gaming, Dragon Age Origins is my favourite game of all time. No other game has pulled me in and immersed me in the way this game did. With a brilliantly crafted game world, a cast of fascinating and likeable characters, multiple intersecting storylines, and well designed tactical party based combat Origins hits all the gameplay marks. If the game can be said to have any weakness, its that its graphics and animations are not particularly impressive, but they never detract from the enjoyment of the story and the characters.

I've completed it 17 times and I expect that I will play it a few more, I can't say much more to recommend it than that.
  86. JamesG.
    Feb 1, 2010
    This game is amazing! i think it should be said that it matters if one has played this masterpiece on a console or pc. i've tried both the ps3 and the 360 versions. the ps3 framerate was horrid. the 360 textures were non existant so the emersion factor important to rpgs fell short. and in both console versions the combat felt awkward if not slightly impaired be lack of options. i This game is amazing! i think it should be said that it matters if one has played this masterpiece on a console or pc. i've tried both the ps3 and the 360 versions. the ps3 framerate was horrid. the 360 textures were non existant so the emersion factor important to rpgs fell short. and in both console versions the combat felt awkward if not slightly impaired be lack of options. i played for a while then grew bored and traded it at gamestop. then i got my computer. it feels like im playing a completely different game! Graphics: wonderful story: deep and engrossing and the combat !? WOW! deep strategic challenging but rewarding. pc owner, must buy! console gamer, rent it or wait for a price drop. Expand
  87. AllenC.
    Dec 6, 2009
    This is hands down the best RPG game of all time. I've played all the bioware games except for Mass Effect and Oblivion, and Morrowind and I have to say this one just stands like a god among the rest of the RPG's i've played. You go through and just don't want the game to end, This is the only game that has had me sitting in front of the computer playing for over 12 This is hands down the best RPG game of all time. I've played all the bioware games except for Mass Effect and Oblivion, and Morrowind and I have to say this one just stands like a god among the rest of the RPG's i've played. You go through and just don't want the game to end, This is the only game that has had me sitting in front of the computer playing for over 12 hours straight, once it grips you, it just doesn't let go. Expand
  88. Sep 21, 2010
    Dragon Age is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. But I'm a huge fan of lore for a universe. As long as it has tons of great backstory, you'll have grabbed my attention right off the bat. The lore is amazing, as is the story. Sure it's kind of a "hero's journey" type of story, but that's not a bad thing. There are plenty of origin stories to partake in, each one lasting atDragon Age is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. But I'm a huge fan of lore for a universe. As long as it has tons of great backstory, you'll have grabbed my attention right off the bat. The lore is amazing, as is the story. Sure it's kind of a "hero's journey" type of story, but that's not a bad thing. There are plenty of origin stories to partake in, each one lasting at least a few hours. If you're not a fan of cut scenes, and dialog, and story, then this game is NOT for you. And by extension I'd say no RPG out there is, because they all have tons of dialog and character interaction. RPG's are more about story and the characters in them, than about combat mechanics. I love the characters in the game, they truly come alive with their voice actors. Morrigan (Claudia Black) in particular is the jewel of the bunch. The combat is sort of like the gambit system from FFXII. If you haven't played that game you won't know what I mean. You basically get lines of "tactics" for your characters to follow during combat. (E.G. 1.Cast this spell. 2. Perform this action 3. Target this specific enemy first.) This system makes it so you don't have to micromanage every single character during combat, which can be tedious IMO, although some do enjoy doing so. Is the system perfect ? No. But it CAN and will work if you give it a chance, on any difficulty. What some people don't realize is that you must change the tactics for certain battles, because they no longer apply to that specific challenge. You really only need to do some major tactics swapping for boss battles though. A good solid tactics base will work for almost all the regular enemy types. One also has to take into account that you must have a tank, healer, and damage dealers in the party. It's basically like an MMO. One character has to hold most of the damage, another heals everybody, and the rest dish out the punishment. There are plenty of combinations to choose, and no you are not limited to being the healer or the tank with the main character. The graphics are pretty good, but not cutting edge. They are certainly better than older games, but also not as good as others that came out around the same time. Hopefully this will be addressed in a big way for the sequel. My biggest gripe about the game is the silent main character. This part of the game is seriously old school, especially for BioWare who created the conversation system in Mass Effect years before this game even came out. It's great that they are switching this for the sequel, but that doesn't help the original. However, this could, and may still be fixed with the mods for the game. This aspect is easily the saving grace for the game, and what propels it above the console versions by miles. The modding community is certainly active, and the mods plentiful. Everyday new ones are created. They enhance the game in a multitude of ways. Visual effects, new armor and weapons, new characters, items, and even quests. They're not all top notch stuff, but there are more than enough that are. The official DLC is also great. It's nice to see that BioWare is finally sticking to it's guns in regards to DLC. They've released a good amount for this game, and most of it is awesome. A few of them aren't all that, but they're decent. Good thing is, you don't have to own them all in order for them to work. They're each separate on their own. So in closing, would I recommend this game ? Most definitely. If you're into story, character interaction, and tons of amazing lore you will love this game as much as I do. The combat mechanics are passable and can be plenty fun. But if you want an action centric, balls to the wall, in your face type of gameplay you are seriously mistaken on your choice of genres. RPG's are not for those types of players. Hope I wasn't too longwinded, and that this helps somebody else decide to pick up and enjoy this amazing game Expand
  89. DuaneD
    Jan 1, 2010
    Good; very good! Not perfect, by any stretch, but what is? All in all, very enjoyable.
  90. ErikT
    Jan 7, 2010
    This is one of the greatest RPGs ever to grace the PC platform. It moves from strength to strength with the characters and story taking centerstage. All the things that matter such as combat system and world lore etc. are all top notch, but the part that really surprised me was the emotional impact of the characters. Excellent writing and perfect voice casting. Bioware are the undisputed This is one of the greatest RPGs ever to grace the PC platform. It moves from strength to strength with the characters and story taking centerstage. All the things that matter such as combat system and world lore etc. are all top notch, but the part that really surprised me was the emotional impact of the characters. Excellent writing and perfect voice casting. Bioware are the undisputed kings of computer rpgs. Mass Effect II, here I come! Expand
  91. qoobah
    Nov 7, 2009
    A superb RPG experience, but be warned - it's not for everyone. It's easy to succumb to its charms if you remember Candlekeep or running away from Irenicus. If you're more accustomed to quick action, immidiate gratification and "soft cusion", idiot-proof gameplay (which are not bad game traits in their own right - you just won't find them here) then you can be in for a A superb RPG experience, but be warned - it's not for everyone. It's easy to succumb to its charms if you remember Candlekeep or running away from Irenicus. If you're more accustomed to quick action, immidiate gratification and "soft cusion", idiot-proof gameplay (which are not bad game traits in their own right - you just won't find them here) then you can be in for a rough ride. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a ride well worth taking. Expand
  92. MikeC
    Nov 11, 2009
    Simply the best party based RPG combat ever made, the gameplay is very fun, tactical and challenging (I played on hard difficulty). Combined with excellent characters and a good story, this is one hell of an RPG. The best game Bioware has ever made, even surpassing Baldurs Gate 2 thanks to the improvements in gameplay, and surely one of the best RPGs around.
  93. Sep 30, 2011
    Pluses: Great story, totally believable and interesting characters, superb voice acting and good music, good lore and some very well written material. Minuses: Enemies, weapons and armour are all very bland and do not have much variation. Combat is ok but you find yourself spamming the same spells/abilities a lot. Character classes and abilities are so-so.
    The Deep Roads dungeon is
    The Deep Roads dungeon is extremely tedious and predictable, the Fade only slightly less so. Those two areas discouraged me from playing through for a third time and I've not had the urge to play again since the game came out. I expected better from Bioware.
  94. Mar 25, 2011
    The spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate. I didn't play Baldur's Gate so I can't comment on that one. But I can say that it's worthy to be the successor of the great Knights of the Old Republic. The RPG and combat elements are the same as KOTOR's (damn good). The story easily matches the story of KOTOR too. The characters are well-developed and (unlike newer WoW releases) It offers reallyThe spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate. I didn't play Baldur's Gate so I can't comment on that one. But I can say that it's worthy to be the successor of the great Knights of the Old Republic. The RPG and combat elements are the same as KOTOR's (damn good). The story easily matches the story of KOTOR too. The characters are well-developed and (unlike newer WoW releases) It offers really big challenges (Soloing is the most popular) so unlike at KOTOR you can get into some really big poop. It's what we excepted from Bioware, or maybe even more... Expand
  95. Aug 10, 2011
    I just can't believe people giving this anywhere BELOW 5. I can understand that some people might not enjoy the game, but giving it anything below a 5 is not being objective in any sense of the word. That is taking something that is great and trying to put it in the mud. I really hope that bioware did not read some of the red-score comments from this page when they made DA 2, although itI just can't believe people giving this anywhere BELOW 5. I can understand that some people might not enjoy the game, but giving it anything below a 5 is not being objective in any sense of the word. That is taking something that is great and trying to put it in the mud. I really hope that bioware did not read some of the red-score comments from this page when they made DA 2, although it does seem like they did. The result? A far worse game.

At any rate, I bought the collectors edition for this game. Still, 2 years after, I can't remember buying a collectors edition and getting that much value for my money (except for buying the original BG 2, 200 hrs for 50 euro? They don't make games like that anymore). When I saw the metal box I just knew I had something special in my hands. I opened it and found the cloth map of ferelden, nice touch indeed. Definitely value for money in the finish of this product.

Now, 2 years after, I am reinstalling the game. Last spring I had a while where I couldn't get myself to play RPG's, I was so tired of them. Now I got back into it, playing The Witcher 2 (awesome game so far) and Mass Effect 2, I decided to make a fresh DA: O install. Hopefully this is a wise choice with regards to DA 3 (whenever they announce it), hopefully as in I hope DA 3 will be more along the lines of DA: O than DA: II.
    I remember reading about Dragon Age back in its infancy, and I must say that compared to the hype I got from reading about it back then, and then to seeing the final product, I was a bit disappointed. I soon got over that disappointment I remember. I recall awesome voice acting, great characters, and a WANT to play this game. I didn't want to stop. I rarely replay games, for me I never look at the replayability of a game, because it doesn't apply. However some games deserve more than one play through. Baldurs Gate 2 (completed twice, playing through it a third time very slowly these days), Mass Effect 2 (I have completed it twice and am playing through it on 4-5 chars haha), Dragon Age: Origins (going for a rogue this time, or a non-arcane-warrior mage), and The Witcher 2. To me these games are all classics, there is no dicussion, if you ask me all these games should be in any gamer and nongamers collection. I go by the feel of a game, and DA: O is awesome, there is a reason I am installing it again as we speak...
  96. Nov 15, 2011
    Not a perfect game, but a thoroughly engrossing and utterly enjoyable adventure. The best top-down RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. If they improved on this formula, we could be looking at one of the best games of all time. But they didn't. Accordingly, the worst part about this game is how disappointing its sequel is.
  97. Apr 20, 2012
    You won't find a better hier for Baldur's Gate. This is a master piece. Don't miss the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC content and a expansion pack!
  98. Aug 30, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins. One of Bioware's best games. The story of the game is rather cliche, uniting everyone under one banner to stop the evil guys. However the characters react differently to you based on your race and social status (your origin, as the title implies), making the game much more diverse in story progression, also adding a lot of replayability. The combat is rather slow, D&DDragon Age: Origins. One of Bioware's best games. The story of the game is rather cliche, uniting everyone under one banner to stop the evil guys. However the characters react differently to you based on your race and social status (your origin, as the title implies), making the game much more diverse in story progression, also adding a lot of replayability. The combat is rather slow, D&D styled, like the old school RPGs. Like in any Bioware game the characters have their own unique personality and beliefs and they'll sometimes question your actions. The graphics look a bit outdated, but lets be honest here, graphics rarely matter in RPGs. The music in the game is beautifully crafted, the best one you will hear is the "camp theme". Overall a great game if you like games like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate or the Fallout series. Expand
  99. Aug 13, 2012
    What this game lacks in originality it makes up for in sheer fun and solid storytelling: this is a game which will make you want to keep playing, and which offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertainment (if you get the Ultimate Edition, which comes with the expansion and several DLC packs, you will easily find 80-100 hours of play). DA:O offers the usual assortment of classes,What this game lacks in originality it makes up for in sheer fun and solid storytelling: this is a game which will make you want to keep playing, and which offers dozens and dozens of hours of entertainment (if you get the Ultimate Edition, which comes with the expansion and several DLC packs, you will easily find 80-100 hours of play). DA:O offers the usual assortment of classes, abilities, weapons, and enemies which you'd expect in an RPG--nothing too original here--but works them together into a package which is easy to learn while offering significant depth for advanced players. Where this game really shines is in its story and characters (which you'd probably expect from a Bioware game). The many companions and other characters are generally well-written and interesting, each with their own secrets, quirks, and personal growth throughout the story. The banter between party members can be downright hysterically funny at times, while at others is offers a more serious look into the relationships between your companions. For those who really care, there is truly a LOT of (mostly-optional) dialogue in this game, which provides the opportunity to further explore the lore of the game, build relationships, and find allies (or enemies!). Moreover, for the truly curious gamer, there is much lore to be discovered in books, etc. throughout the game, providing plenty of background information on all sorts of things.So far I've played through this game three times, and enjoyed every time. While the main story remains the same, DA:O offers significant potential variety: 6 different origin stories, 3 races, 3 classes (each with multiple play-styles), and numerous in-game choices which affect the story. All of this helps keep the game fresh and very replayable: so far I've played it through 3 times (once as each race/class so far), and will certainly play it again in the future. It would be hard to recommend this game enough, so go ahead and give it a try if you have any interest in RPGs! Expand
  100. Sep 2, 2012
    DAO is overall an awesome third-person RPG that has a great story and nice graphics with the right PC. The voice acting is very well done, although I still wish that your character talked as well. The game opens up in the beginning so you have options on where to go first and what you want to accomplish. The dungeons are large, well-made, and fun. To this day this game is definitelyDAO is overall an awesome third-person RPG that has a great story and nice graphics with the right PC. The voice acting is very well done, although I still wish that your character talked as well. The game opens up in the beginning so you have options on where to go first and what you want to accomplish. The dungeons are large, well-made, and fun. To this day this game is definitely worth playing on the PC if you haven't already. Expand

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. PC Gamer
    An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!