Dreamfall: The Longest Journey PC

• Release Date: Apr 17, 2006
8.6

1. MarkL
    May 3, 2006
    Dreamfall was extremely anticipated by adventure gamers as it was the sequel to one of the best game in this genre: The Longest Journey. I was one of those who couldn't wait to get my hands on it and in the end, I was not disappointed. The game is actually a bit different from the first one because it's not a "point and click" adventure. It feels very natural because youDreamfall was extremely anticipated by adventure gamers as it was the sequel to one of the best game in this genre: The Longest Journey. I was one of those who couldn't wait to get my hands on it and in the end, I was not disappointed. The game is actually a bit different from the first one because it's not a "point and click" adventure. It feels very natural because you explore the world in full 3D and still have the deepth and content of old adventure games. The core gameplay consists of interacting with the wonderful characters. This can look limiting but it stays interesting through the whole game thanks to the excellent writing and voice acting. All the characters are well developped and contribute very well to the emotional roller coaster that is Dreamfall. There are some very minor stealth and combat gameplay elements but those are not the focus of the game.

While the technical aspect of the game isn't exactly top notch, the art design makes up for it very much. The sound is especially good; voice acting is probably the best ever and music is always very fitting and well composed. The story is amazing and very inspiring; this is number one reason to get into this game. My only grippe is that it's way too easy. There are few puzzles and they are very straightfoward. Also, the ending raises a lot of questions which is both good and bad. It's good because it leaves you thinking about it and you feel like you have to go through the game a second time. But at the same time, you don't get the same kind of resolution you would get from your typical movie, which is a little bit less satisfying.

In the end, I would recommend this game to anyone interested in a good story and very well done dialogs coupled with good production values. 9/10 !
  2. Aug 2, 2013
    Dreamfall: The longest journey, is the sequel to the point and click adventure game “The Longest Journey”. Dreamfall is about exploring different worlds and character development. To put it quite bluntly, Dreamfall is a story driven game, with some flawed action sequences and some underwhelming stealth portions. I have always wanted to play Dreamfall, and for some reason I only just gotDreamfall: The longest journey, is the sequel to the point and click adventure game “The Longest Journey”. Dreamfall is about exploring different worlds and character development. To put it quite bluntly, Dreamfall is a story driven game, with some flawed action sequences and some underwhelming stealth portions. I have always wanted to play Dreamfall, and for some reason I only just got around to it. I’m glad I waited, since my younger self probably wouldn’t have appreciated the game for what it truly is, since it lacks any real action.

Dreamfall presents itself some 200 years into the future, where corporations seemingly act as the government. There is often references to the wire, which is quite honestly just the internet from what I gather, only everyone seems to be connected to it at all times. Everyone seems to be reliant on the wire for everything, and it’s heavily monitored by corporations.

The setting of Dreamfall takes place in a sci-fi world called Stark, but also a different world of magic called Arcadia. Only a few people can travel between both worlds, often called shifters. The story is completely linear, and although the game allows you to choose specific dialogue when in a conversation, the outcome is eventually going to be identical to everyone else that has played the game. The only reason to choose the other conversation options is for more back story of each character, or maybe a event. It’s quite a nice feature, and although the story is static, this makes it seem a little bit less so.

Ranging from 10-15 hours, the game is a decent length. The story itself is one of the most interesting and immersive narratives I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. Most of the game is actually listening to conversations between 2 or more people, so take that into consideration. There is also some fairly easy puzzles in the game, with a few non-obvious ones thrown into the mix. The world itself is very static and linear. There definitely can be exploration, but there isn’t anything interesting to find if you deviate from your path.

Combat and stealth need to be mentioned. Combat is simply clunky, often times you’ll be throwing punches into thin air because of how bad it is. The stealth in the game doesn’t present a meaningful experience either, as I could be standing in-front of someone 5 metres away and they won’t even notice me. Why this was even included into the final product is beyond me.

The worst part of the game though, is the awful ending. Two hours up to the games ending, you begin seeing a lot of events taking place, and a lot of questions get brought up. The ending flat out refuses to answer any of the questions you might have about other characters or sequences you saw before the end. It’s completely left to your imagination what happened to everything and everyone else besides Zoe.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, is one of my most favourite adventure games. The story itself is something everyone should experience at least once in their life. While the combat and stealth are completely awful to your experience in Dreamfall, the game is worth your time if you can appreciate a interesting narrative in a sci-fi/fantasy world
  3. JulienL.
    May 4, 2006
    This game is a milestone in terms of adventure games. Forget Grim Fadango and The curse of monkey island because this time a proper 3d Adventure game has been created. I suggest to every amateur of the genre to buy it and if you are not a fan of adventure games, I suggest you still rent it!
  4. KaneC.
    Mar 7, 2007
    I don't see how this game is getting vote rates at 1, must be because those people cant even play a game right, or they have crappy PC's. but who ever says this game is crap, they must have some handi capped disabilities, because this game is the bomb. graphics are the best, gameplay is good, puzzles, fair combat, and a weird but good storyline. Who ever gave this game a rating I don't see how this game is getting vote rates at 1, must be because those people cant even play a game right, or they have crappy PC's. but who ever says this game is crap, they must have some handi capped disabilities, because this game is the bomb. graphics are the best, gameplay is good, puzzles, fair combat, and a weird but good storyline. Who ever gave this game a rating of 1, must be smoking crack. Expand
  5. RandallS.
    Dec 19, 2008
    I have to say this is one of the most memorable adventure games I have ever played. The story is very interesting, the sound is great, the puzzles are usually pretty neat.

My only qualm is that the combat system was really simplified. I think they could have done a little bit better even though you only fight like ten things throughout the whole game. And I agree with MC. If you

And I agree with MC. If you don't like cutscenes and stories, just don't play a game like this! There is absolutely no way you can call this a bland game unless you completely skip out on the story, which would be a real shame, because it's one of the best I've seen in a game.
  6. GranvilleI.
    May 2, 2008
    I love every thing about the Game. I some how missed this Gem. Because of it i am now playing the long journey and have fallen madly in love with April Ryan.
  7. RomanO
    Jan 3, 2010
    I enjoyed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for the most part. But it should have been a pure adventure game. Every aspect of action that has been thrown into this game sucks. Fighting is beyond bad it's the worst. Stealth is just boring, feels like ir shouldn't have been there. But apart from the action parts this adventurous journey was an enormous pleasure for me. I guess the I enjoyed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for the most part. But it should have been a pure adventure game. Every aspect of action that has been thrown into this game sucks. Fighting is beyond bad it's the worst. Stealth is just boring, feels like ir shouldn't have been there. But apart from the action parts this adventurous journey was an enormous pleasure for me. I guess the creators had to make it more action oriented than the first Longest Journey, because the adventure genre is getting unpopular, but they mesed up on that. In short great adventure, bad action. Can't wait for the sequel. P.S. I give it 10 ignoring all the action parts. Expand
  8. AlexanderB.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Wonderful story, this journey is really fascinating and in the end it comes to a big final. I hope there will be a continuation someday.
  9. B.Iliev
    Apr 27, 2006
    One of the greatest stories ever told in a game. Great atmosphere,music, graphics, voice acting. It could've been the best adventure game ever if there were some more good puzzles in it. Anyway if you're a fan of The Longest Journey , an adventure gamer, or just someone who likes a good sci-fi story then you should buy it. And this is not just a good story it's an epic.
  10. M.Alex
    Jul 2, 2007
    A bit like an interactive movie and "quite" linear (which I don't necessarily consider a con), the magnificent story kept me glued to the screen for over 24h. If you can cope with plot linearity, try this one out.
  11. Pirateguybrush
    May 5, 2006
    Awesome game, the ending made me cry.
  12. AmundB.
    Apr 23, 2006
    The best game ive played in ages.
  13. EllaP.
    May 14, 2006
    A wonderful game with beautiful screenshots, and soundtrack, and a plot that still has me thinking, and thinking....
  14. BenC.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Excellent Game! Challenging puzzles and fairly good gameplay. Thanks!
  15. JTT
    May 3, 2006
    The story of Dreamfall is spectacularly immersive! No senseless puzzles, these challenges involve finding objects and convincing characters to help you. There are multiple ways to solve everything, some dramatically change how you progress in the game! Plenty of replay, I'm still finding new ways! The only downside is the PC controls stink (waiting for a patch for that), XBox controlsThe story of Dreamfall is spectacularly immersive! No senseless puzzles, these challenges involve finding objects and convincing characters to help you. There are multiple ways to solve everything, some dramatically change how you progress in the game! Plenty of replay, I'm still finding new ways! The only downside is the PC controls stink (waiting for a patch for that), XBox controls are fine. Expand
  16. MarilenaP.
    May 28, 2008
    Live your story! I'm absolutely amazed and sad that it ended... Where is the next one?
  17. Mofkeesx
    Sep 7, 2006
    This game grabs you, good story line, nice characters, can't wait for part 3.
  18. Feb 13, 2013
    It is a masterpiece, albeit simplified for the sake of gameplay time, no hardcore, but it is a new genre of interactive cinema, and this game handles told story not be forgotten for a long time zasyadet in your memory, this is one of those magical events, in which you believe.
  19. ZeroDevice
    Dec 20, 2005
    GREAT GAME.
  20. DianS.
    Apr 25, 2006
    When does the Dreamfall 3 come out? ;)
  21. XavierS.
    May 16, 2006
    This game is simply amazing. Full of magic, of emotions, of everything. An excellent plot and three unforgettable characters (especially Zoë). Good graphics. And now I'm waiting for a sequel.
  22. AndreL.
    May 23, 2006
    Finally a 3d environment with a true point and click adventure admosphere. Beautiful storyline, very good graphics. A worthy successor of The Longest journy.
  23. JoeK.
    May 24, 2006
    GREAT GAME!
  24. LarsJ.
    May 29, 2006
    Great game and perhaps more important spectacular stoy. But wish it could have been just a little bit longer.
  25. EivindN.
    May 4, 2006
    After playing this game I am left with a feeling of hunger. The story is not self-contained, it is not finished, and I want more. This is an interactive story, and I want an ending. Yet every moment I spent playing this game was a joy. The graphics are charming, the characters really grow on you, and the plot is enticing in its mystery. Recommended to all adventure, roleplaying and After playing this game I am left with a feeling of hunger. The story is not self-contained, it is not finished, and I want more. This is an interactive story, and I want an ending. Yet every moment I spent playing this game was a joy. The graphics are charming, the characters really grow on you, and the plot is enticing in its mystery. Recommended to all adventure, roleplaying and plot-fans. Amazing game. Expand
  26. Salmonax
    May 4, 2006
    I have a lot of trouble recommending this game to people who haven't played the first.... Not only does it not entirely succeed as a game (though different people seem willing to tolerate this to varying degrees), but I think your excitement at playing it would be significantly less if you're seeing Stark and Arcadia for the very first time.... For all its depth, the bare I have a lot of trouble recommending this game to people who haven't played the first.... Not only does it not entirely succeed as a game (though different people seem willing to tolerate this to varying degrees), but I think your excitement at playing it would be significantly less if you're seeing Stark and Arcadia for the very first time.... For all its depth, the bare essentials just feel fleshed out less than they were in the first game. Expand
  27. JoelP.
    May 4, 2006
    Dreamfall is one of the best games I've ever played. The story is absolutely amazing. It is breathtaking. The ending will leave you yearning for more and the feeling it gives is indesribable. The sound is amazing. Voice acting is superb. The music is fantastic. Grahpics are good. Gameplay is fun, simple and really helps the story by not getting in the way too much.
  28. Ged
    May 5, 2006
    It's great game. tnanks all developer's team for: 1) they create not just abstract story, but a game where in the form of tale we can figure out some fundamental things about real life; 2) revolutionary approach to gameplay, player plays for different heroes by turns, and thus can understand whole palette of their intentions; 3) as a young man i like some features in main heroesIt's great game. tnanks all developer's team for: 1) they create not just abstract story, but a game where in the form of tale we can figure out some fundamental things about real life; 2) revolutionary approach to gameplay, player plays for different heroes by turns, and thus can understand whole palette of their intentions; 3) as a young man i like some features in main heroes - they try to solve questions which i also to; 4) natural actor's voices that help to sink into the story 5) very beautiful, made lovely, graphics Expand
  29. HakonK.
    May 5, 2006
    Two word: Must Have! And I mean that! If you're missing out on this one, your missing out on something truly great. Its a work of genious!
  30. IvanoF.
    May 5, 2006
    Totally great story and adventure game, although it lacks a bit more complex puzzles. Absolutely mandatory playing the first The Longest Journey to appreciate every single inch of this fantastic story, although it doesn't matter if you play that before or afterwards. One of the best pieces of interactive fiction, ever. You'll grow attached to the characters and places, you just Totally great story and adventure game, although it lacks a bit more complex puzzles. Absolutely mandatory playing the first The Longest Journey to appreciate every single inch of this fantastic story, although it doesn't matter if you play that before or afterwards. One of the best pieces of interactive fiction, ever. You'll grow attached to the characters and places, you just can't help it, and there's a good replayability factor too, not only will you want to play it again for the story, but even to try different solutions to the same situations, and there are some easter eggs scattered around too Expand
  31. StjepanM.
    May 8, 2006
    An excellent game, in an excellent genre, that is, alas, dying out. So buy it!
  32. SimonasT.
    May 9, 2006
    A great game, if not through traditional gameplay, then by telling increadible story in an incredible way. One of those thing that cannot be told about - you have to see it for yourself.
  33. EzraiA.
    Jun 12, 2006
    A fantastic story driven game with brilliant voice acting.
  34. RobertR.
    Jun 20, 2006
    The best game so far this year! The story is fantastic and it pulls you right in. The gameplay is suprising varied which is great. I would recommend this game to anyone!
  35. JoelB.
    Jun 29, 2006
    Loved the game, couldn't leave it alone until I was done. Fighting interface was a little clumsy.
  36. YikB.
    Jun 6, 2006
    Pros: Best story to come out since The Longest Journey itself: emotional, provocative, unforgettable, enlightening; extremely memorable characters; stellar voice acting; beautiful soundtrack; yes, there
  37. AcidMOnkey
    Aug 4, 2006
    This is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. Great graphics, awesome storyline, and even better characters. I would recommend this to anyone.
  38. SaxonS.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Stunning visuals and great story, make great movie and will change the way you think, remember to turn graphics up, I only found that out till I saw the end of the credits
  39. JianZhenNg
    Mar 22, 2007
    Perfect is the word. It's like a mixture of Fable : The Lost Chapters and The Indigo Prophecy. The ending is well done and the fighting is fair for this genre of gaming. I found Crow to be my favorite character giving some laughter into this game. OH! I can't wait for a 3rd game. Apart from some excruciating long dialogs, I love it!
  40. JeroenW.
    May 8, 2007
    I started playing this game and immediately got hooked. I was thrilled by the storyline, and played most of my time 2 days after eachother, and the ending plot nearly brought me to tears. Great graphics, great music, great story: this all makes up dearly for a lack of challenge and linear gameplay. If you get into this game, you'll get hooked like reading a great bestseller book. I started playing this game and immediately got hooked. I was thrilled by the storyline, and played most of my time 2 days after eachother, and the ending plot nearly brought me to tears. Great graphics, great music, great story: this all makes up dearly for a lack of challenge and linear gameplay. If you get into this game, you'll get hooked like reading a great bestseller book. Which brings me to the only really bad point of this game: it's too short! It would be soo much better if it were longer. Expand
  41. RayG.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Absolutely superb game. Can't wait for the next installment. I need closure.
  42. SethL.
    Jul 17, 2007
    They really pulled me in with this one. Despite the overuse of cinematics, I was enthralled. The game play and graphics were pretty good, too. It's almost a fusion of different genres and pushes the boundaries of what a game is. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in quite some time.
  43. AaronB.
    Jul 19, 2007
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game - but so many threads left unanswered.
  44. DuxR.
    Oct 9, 2008
    Along with Chrono Trigger, the best game I ever played (and since Chrono is 2D and this is 3D, I might say it's the best 3D game I ever played!!).
  45. VeikkoH.
    Feb 4, 2008
    I found the game a glorious experience. The game system had its flaws (poor camera), but the environments were really atmospheric and the plot was enjoyable. However, beware that you may not appreciate/understand the game unless you've played the first sequel, The Longest Longest.
  46. MackS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Great game, I love how every character has their own unique personality and the voice-overs are AMAZING. Great fantasy that requires you to finish through to understand all the secrets.
  47. ZeroDevice
    Aug 5, 2008
    GREAT GAME.
  48. OliverL.
    Apr 22, 2006
    Wow, this game gave me one of the best experience i have had in years. The story just pull you in and grab hold of you. When i was done with it it was almost like "what have I just played". I totally recommend this game.
  49. WendyN.
    Apr 22, 2006
    I'm a big fan of Ragnar Tornquists cause its always such a stunningly good story , i played the longest yourney over and over , almost know it blindly and i still like playing it , now i bought dreamfall and at first it wouldn't work with my gforce4 card and oddly on the other pc i own with a gforce3 it works perfect , and i loved it from the start , hope more the longest I'm a big fan of Ragnar Tornquists cause its always such a stunningly good story , i played the longest yourney over and over , almost know it blindly and i still like playing it , now i bought dreamfall and at first it wouldn't work with my gforce4 card and oddly on the other pc i own with a gforce3 it works perfect , and i loved it from the start , hope more the longest journeys will follow cause i'm so in love with the story and the graphics are even more stunning indreamfall , worth to buy people. Collapse
  50. Thuggie
    Apr 24, 2006
    visually nothing new, but script is intriguing, sounds nicely, and will suck you in like moving sands. Crow character is great.
  51. TewodrosB.
    May 12, 2006
    A must have. Players all around the world should experience this work of art.
  52. Ric
    May 13, 2006
    Great game that everyone needs to play!
  53. X.X.
    May 16, 2006
    Best game this year. An absolute marvel to adventure games and it picks up and smoothly right after the first TLJ.
  54. JustinM.
    May 22, 2006
    If you enjoyed The Longest Journey, you can't go wrong by buying Dreamfall. However, if you played either game, then there's no point in me trying to win you over. You would already be a fan. That's what these games do, they win you over and you become a real fan of the story and creators. You wait anxiously for the next part of the story. Give The Longest Journey and If you enjoyed The Longest Journey, you can't go wrong by buying Dreamfall. However, if you played either game, then there's no point in me trying to win you over. You would already be a fan. That's what these games do, they win you over and you become a real fan of the story and creators. You wait anxiously for the next part of the story. Give The Longest Journey and Dreamfall a try. If you love good stories and deep characters, these games are for you. This game was made by real story tellers and artists. The voice acting is professional and they give really moving performances. The artistic direction is what you would expect from such creative and imaginative minds. Expand
  55. Dimitri
    May 22, 2006
    This game is absolutely beautifull in looks and story. It runs perfectly without any crashes or lockups for me. For anyone who played The Longest Journey 6 years ago (or any adventure lover) this is a must have.
  56. BrandonA.
    May 24, 2006
    Very well designed and layed out game, with an unstoppable storyline. It's ideas and the way it blatantly questions morality and religion is amazing, and the adventuring is sound. Interestingly enough some people expect an adventure game to have a wonderful fighting engine, seems like they should go buy a Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, or DOA game. And for the record, I enjoy those Very well designed and layed out game, with an unstoppable storyline. It's ideas and the way it blatantly questions morality and religion is amazing, and the adventuring is sound. Interestingly enough some people expect an adventure game to have a wonderful fighting engine, seems like they should go buy a Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, or DOA game. And for the record, I enjoy those games too, it comes with being a gamer to enjoy all types, apparently unlike many people who rate a game low because they dislike the genre. Expand
  57. ZaraM.
    May 29, 2006
    its a really good game its upsetting at the end and so much graphical work congrats peeps.
  58. NellieT.
    May 31, 2006
    Dreamfall -- a fantastic follow-up to the adventure game classic, The Longest Journey. A story and character-driven game, Dreamfall takes player on an amazing journey between fantasy and science fiction. A must-play game!
  59. WouterC.
    May 4, 2006
    One of the best stories I ever saw in a game. Puzzles are pretty simple, which die-hard adventure gamers might not like, but newcomers might. It's a fantastic game, but it does have a couple of flaws. However, when you start playing it, it really sucks you in. At least it did with me :) In the words of the merchant: Wonderful! Fan-tastic! :)
  60. LeeAnnS.
    May 7, 2006
    Wonderful game- check this and the it's precessador - the Longest Journey out! Amazing graphics and story! Highly recommended!
  61. RandyK.
    May 7, 2006
    The script writers don't shut their sociology books long enough to let you participate much in the adventure. It's a none-too-subtle morality tale thick with the evils of colonialism, military occupation, religious oppression, and racial profiling -- in other words, it was one helluva ride. Dreamfall, despite its heavy-handed approach, is pattently relevant to global events The script writers don't shut their sociology books long enough to let you participate much in the adventure. It's a none-too-subtle morality tale thick with the evils of colonialism, military occupation, religious oppression, and racial profiling -- in other words, it was one helluva ride. Dreamfall, despite its heavy-handed approach, is pattently relevant to global events (past and present). Beware, pixel-junkies: Storytelling trumps both graphics and gameplay. This one's not showing at the Short Attention Span Theater. Expand
  62. MetaG.
    May 8, 2006
    Probably the best computer game I ever played. Never before did I feel so much involved into a game. If ever you still doubt that computer games are an art as well as literature, or movies are, you must play dreamfall. And if you don't doubt it, you should play dreamfall nonetheless. You won't regret it.
  63. VanityC.
    May 8, 2006
    By far one of the most amazing games I've ever played. Amazing gameplay and graphics and the most fascinating story in a game since The Longest Journey.
  64. Andrew
    Jun 1, 2006
    This game was amazing, easily the best story i've encountered in a game. better than a lot movies in fact. i played this game for over 6 hours straight i just didn't want to stop playing. Simply put, both dreamfall and the longest journey is a must play for anyone who likes a compelling story. p.s. the music in the game is great mad props to magnet.
  65. DreamNet
    Jun 13, 2006
    better than the first one on gameplay and as good in story. best adventure game ive ever played with my favorite story. puzzles arent too terriblly difficult but new focus sight system and compelling voice acting and storyline this game is a 10 out of 10.
  66. Gert
    Jun 19, 2006
    Brilliant adventure game. The visuals are stunning and the story excellent. I'm not too sure why some people complain about the voice acting - it's quite good. I really hope there'll be a sequel.
  67. L
    Jun 2, 2006
    this is one of the best adventure games i've ever played. once you start you cannot stop playing until the end.
  68. SeanB.
    Jun 7, 2006
    I cannot stress how fantastic of a game this is! It tells a story that competes with some of the best novels. It is not as free form as most game. Instead of that, it tells a story in these fantastic worlds with characters that are incredibly real. This game is worth the time and money. It is an experience to behold and the crowning game in my collection.
  69. Frosty
    Jun 8, 2006
    One of the best digital novels either. Dont expect too much gameplay, but a solid story with interesting characters instead.
  70. MikaelN.
    Jul 18, 2006
    Just a great game, strongly recomend it!
  71. PedroS.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Intriguing plot, breathtaking environments, beautiful surroundings and the feeling of being together with the characters in each step. A perfect game for those who think playing is more than simply be shooting down people and the monsters. Zoe is brave and lovely.
  72. PaalE.
    Jan 14, 2007
    It is another masterpiece by Funcom.
  73. FelipeC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The game is well organized, the story the music and the voices bring to life an adventure never seen it, also the game make you want more of it for me excellent game.
  74. CHristianH.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Its an incredible game. And I'm proud that its a Norwegian game too. A MUST try game.
  75. SeleneM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Its a good game for my was so short i rescue it like in 8 hours but it seems good, he ending was so horrible really but i love April Ryan in first and second part ^^ Waiting for third game CLOSELY.
  76. PavelC.
    Dec 26, 2007
    A game that reveals an amazingly beautiful world and story, it had me captured from beginning to end. It's like reading a fairy tale, which is a precious rarity in the 21st century.
  77. JamieK.
    Jan 29, 2007
    I just finished playing this incredible game (after another session of playing it for 8 hours straight) and it felt like a really good book ended. This game is very satisfying, and I felt as though there were little to no flaws. The atmosphere in the game is very vibrant and immersive. The story, voice acting, and humor in the game were very genuine and entertaining; I wasn't bored I just finished playing this incredible game (after another session of playing it for 8 hours straight) and it felt like a really good book ended. This game is very satisfying, and I felt as though there were little to no flaws. The atmosphere in the game is very vibrant and immersive. The story, voice acting, and humor in the game were very genuine and entertaining; I wasn't bored at any time playing this game. I hope that more people pick up a copy so that the developers will be able to make the third volume! Expand
  78. RandallS.
    Feb 19, 2007
    Story: The story was excellent. It was very interesting and sort of creepy at the same time. I always wanted to find out what happened next. There are few games with such a great sci-fi story, I really enjoyed their portrayal of the future. Gameplay: The controls are a bit awkward, but they are fine once you get used to them. This is not a game for action fans, the battle system in Story: The story was excellent. It was very interesting and sort of creepy at the same time. I always wanted to find out what happened next. There are few games with such a great sci-fi story, I really enjoyed their portrayal of the future. Gameplay: The controls are a bit awkward, but they are fine once you get used to them. This is not a game for action fans, the battle system in shallow, and there are very few battles, like 10 in the whole game. This is really more of a puzzle game, that will challenge you and always throw something new at you. Despite the name of the game, the journey is actually relatively short, and I finished it in about 10 hours. Graphics: The graphics are very good, but they aren't very refined. For instance, the swords of an important character would stick through their cloak as they ran and the read beam from patrol scanners often goes through walls. Sound: The sound is mostly used to paint the environment and for character voices. The environmental sounds were appropriate, clear, and well placed. On the other hand, the voice acting was quite poor. A lot of the conversations didn't sound like conversations at all, the characters often make long pauses that make it sound like they are having trouble piecing together their sentences. Summary: This is a great game for those who like puzzles, but it isn't for those who prefer a lot of action. I was quite disappointed with the end though, that leaves you hanging...painfully. Expand
  79. James
    Feb 3, 2007
    This game is the closest to art or a movie a "game" has ever been. As long as you get involved in the story it really takes you on a journey and a half.
  80. NemadomM.
    Feb 4, 2007
    This game is amazing, of course it has its own problems, here and there, that I wont going to stare at it in 1000 words. I will stare at its "goodness". When you are watching an incredible film in the cinema, and at the end your emotions trap your heart, thats it. Your brain is only thinking on the whole thing. You gota get into the car and travel back home. And while you are going and This game is amazing, of course it has its own problems, here and there, that I wont going to stare at it in 1000 words. I will stare at its "goodness". When you are watching an incredible film in the cinema, and at the end your emotions trap your heart, thats it. Your brain is only thinking on the whole thing. You gota get into the car and travel back home. And while you are going and watching out on the window this feeling that you got is fadeing away, and you are going into sadnes, because you would love to have this strange feeling longer but you can't, it's fadeing... As I sad before this happens on the end of a good film, just as happens at the and of a good game. And well, here, you can have that feeling a bit longer. Of course if you haven't got a brother who suddenly comes in and says to you: What a useless game... And you loose your "Fate" A true amasing, and fantastic game. Expand
  81. DarkE.
    Mar 20, 2007
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is an amazing game that has redefined what games should be. The story is amazing and mysterious which keeps you wondering whats next. The soundtrack sets an excellent atmosphere to the world. The characters are interesting and lovable. Yes there is a lot of talking but the conversations are interesting and make the characters and the world more believable. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is an amazing game that has redefined what games should be. The story is amazing and mysterious which keeps you wondering whats next. The soundtrack sets an excellent atmosphere to the world. The characters are interesting and lovable. Yes there is a lot of talking but the conversations are interesting and make the characters and the world more believable. The only thing that can be improved on is the semi sluggish combat system. Compared to the first The Longest Journey which was nearly impossible for many the puzzles are simplier. Which doesn't affect my rating any considering they were still fun and got you thinking. Expand
  82. SoldierX.
    May 17, 2007
    Fantastic, the story is keeping you behind the screen of your computer, the graphics are fantastic and its Not point-and-click, its an adventure you can wander everywhere, the animation of characters are smooth. The puzzles aren't to difficult and aren't to easy, just the perfect balance, at the beginning you need to learn master the controls, the only bad thing is that combat Fantastic, the story is keeping you behind the screen of your computer, the graphics are fantastic and its Not point-and-click, its an adventure you can wander everywhere, the animation of characters are smooth. The puzzles aren't to difficult and aren't to easy, just the perfect balance, at the beginning you need to learn master the controls, the only bad thing is that combat is a bit messy, but i don't care in an adventure like this! 10/10 for originality 8/10 for graphics (but best in an adventure i ever saw) 10/10 for gameplay and 10/10 for sound (its heart pumping and you never feel safe in the scary parts!) Expand
  83. MarkB.
    May 20, 2007
    Beautiful, engrossing and addictive. In a gaming world full of brutal soldier shooters that are little more than propaganda filled recruiting vehicles for the US war machine, this stands as a captivating and involving work of art that asks questions - about war, faith and being human. It's also beautifully rendered in full 3D, superbly voiced and very atmospheric. It's also very Beautiful, engrossing and addictive. In a gaming world full of brutal soldier shooters that are little more than propaganda filled recruiting vehicles for the US war machine, this stands as a captivating and involving work of art that asks questions - about war, faith and being human. It's also beautifully rendered in full 3D, superbly voiced and very atmospheric. It's also very funny sometimes, and very sad. The storyline is the best bit though, I was hooked all the way through. The way the three characters intertwine and meet up is interesting, though I felt the Azadi assasin character was underplayed slightly. Puzzle and action-wise it's none too challenging, and only once or twice did I scratch my head or curse my two left thumbs with my control pad (I was playing on a PC connected to my 26inch LCD TV using an Xbox 360 controller - much easier than a mouse). To me that's a good thing - too many games are too hard both mentally and physically, and they just aren't much fun. There is a lot of dialogue, but most of it relevant and/or entertaining... I didn't get too far into the first game as I got a bit bored by all the branching dialogue... however, after playing this I will definitely give it another go as I want to find more about the backstory of Dreamfall. I recommend you get this game. Buy it, watch it, play it, live it ... it's amazing! Expand
  84. EmmaB.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Amazing and creepy... Very in depth and strong storyline... Loved it!
  85. JonH
    Dec 8, 2008
    A wonderfully depicted, beautiful, clever, engaging, and (occasionally) funny game. The tech is now looking a bit dated in places but the game is very well put together and the story is in a class of it's own. My only gripes are: the controls are slightly awkward and (as with Tomb-raider etc) the camera doesn't always point where you want or expect it too. Some of the A wonderfully depicted, beautiful, clever, engaging, and (occasionally) funny game. The tech is now looking a bit dated in places but the game is very well put together and the story is in a class of it's own. My only gripes are: the controls are slightly awkward and (as with Tomb-raider etc) the camera doesn't always point where you want or expect it too. Some of the cut/dialogue scenes are long in places (particularly towards the end), but they're so well crafted and artistic that my advice would be to just enjoy them as the quality is undeniable. Highly Recommended! Expand
  86. AlexH.
    Aug 19, 2008
    The combat can be annoying at times, but overall the game is a beautiful place to play in, has an outstanding soundtrack, and has a constantly evolving and involving storyline that will leave you wanting more.
  87. GlyphL
    Jun 14, 2009
    This is really one of the best games I've ever played. The reviewers who have criticized it for not being a "game" are being too narrow in their definition of the word: it's unfortunately imprecise, but "game" now means "digital interactive experience", and as such a "game", this is an absolute must-play. My only criticism of it, really, is that it's doesn't come to a This is really one of the best games I've ever played. The reviewers who have criticized it for not being a "game" are being too narrow in their definition of the word: it's unfortunately imprecise, but "game" now means "digital interactive experience", and as such a "game", this is an absolute must-play. My only criticism of it, really, is that it's doesn't come to a completely satisfying conclusion because the creators expect to produce a sequel. I pre-ordered this, played it the day it came out, and I've been waiting with baited breath for that sequel since then. Expand
  88. SnaxK.
    Oct 14, 2006
    This game is excellent, the only way to improve this game I could think of is to free the vertical movement of the camera and to mabye change the view to first person instead of 2nd, but really that is just because I love 1st person shootes. Excellent game!
  89. NatdRat
    Oct 17, 2006
    Dreamfall's story is the most compelling aspect of this adventure game. It's one great story. While the cliffhanger ending slightly dissapoints, what is most dissapointing is the extreme lack of puzzles and the user interface (specifically control and camera). The puzzles are extremely easy and would have been welcome had they been scattered among more difficult or complicated Dreamfall's story is the most compelling aspect of this adventure game. It's one great story. While the cliffhanger ending slightly dissapoints, what is most dissapointing is the extreme lack of puzzles and the user interface (specifically control and camera). The puzzles are extremely easy and would have been welcome had they been scattered among more difficult or complicated ones. The lack of the latter is paramount to the short playtime of Dreamfall. Controls for moving are somewhat clunky, especially during the innane combat sequences. Overall Dreamfall's story is so good that you can overlook it's faults. Those who have played it's predecessor, The Longest Journey, will benefit the most from the game, but adventure fans addicted to serious puzzle solving will feel slightly jilted after playing this very good interactive storybook game. Expand
  90. StuartY.
    May 11, 2006
    Ragnar does it again. Another beautiful game from the current master of the adventure genre.
  91. Shira
    May 16, 2006
    Great game, emotional and beautiful. Can't wait for part two.
  92. AH
    May 27, 2006
    the sequel of the longest journey(the best adventure game ever made) is a must-have for all fans. it can be also enjoyed by people that haven't played the first. best gaming experience, this is the essence of computer gaming.
  93. AsifA.
    Aug 15, 2006
    Game picks the interest from the begening , graphics are real good , ideas of story is real nice , but ending is sad , hoping for a secong part of the game soon .
  94. KR
    Jan 12, 2007
    A great game. Very engrossing plot, with a massive cliffhanger end. Needs a sequel.
  95. Richard
    Nov 5, 2007
    Best game I ever played, seriously. Can't believe the critics ratings are that low. Graphics, sound and story, are just incredible.
  96. JayK.
    Jan 29, 2007
    This game probably has the best story, writing, and voice acting of any I've ever played. It is intensely enjoyable, and not to be missed by adventure gamers. It is also far superior to the prequel, whose voice acting and dialogue were annoying. The fighting system is lame but doesn't ruin anything. The puzzles are easy but amusing and keep the intriguing story moving. Please This game probably has the best story, writing, and voice acting of any I've ever played. It is intensely enjoyable, and not to be missed by adventure gamers. It is also far superior to the prequel, whose voice acting and dialogue were annoying. The fighting system is lame but doesn't ruin anything. The puzzles are easy but amusing and keep the intriguing story moving. Please buy this so we can all see an ending to this awesome story! Expand
  97. BarbannisW.
    Mar 26, 2007
    Awesome game, great storyline. The only faults I could see with this game were mainly 3 things, the camera views were hard to get used to, took a bit at first but in the end you get used to it. Second, the character expressions. They never changed, there was no scared, there was no happy, there was no sad, just the same. heh other then that it was too dang short!. The story was awesome! Awesome game, great storyline. The only faults I could see with this game were mainly 3 things, the camera views were hard to get used to, took a bit at first but in the end you get used to it. Second, the character expressions. They never changed, there was no scared, there was no happy, there was no sad, just the same. heh other then that it was too dang short!. The story was awesome! The environments and characters like Crow were so fun all in all, 8/10 good game, can't wait for a sequel! Expand
  98. JoeB.
    Jun 13, 2007
    A good game, but the ending sucked and was a obvious setup for a third game.
  99. RockL.
    Aug 28, 2007
    This game was amazing, it had the best story line i've seen in any game, i wish all games cared about story as much as this game does. It had a very beautiful world and characters. I can't wait for a sequal.
  100. DonR
    Dec 13, 2008
    This is on of the best games adventure I've ever played. The story is truly compelling and thought provoking. The characters draw you into their story. The game play was an enjoyable mix of elements while the story telling was exciting and suspenseful. This game left me anxious almost desperate for a sequel. Plots like this could usure in a new era in video games where they are This is on of the best games adventure I've ever played. The story is truly compelling and thought provoking. The characters draw you into their story. The game play was an enjoyable mix of elements while the story telling was exciting and suspenseful. This game left me anxious almost desperate for a sequel. Plots like this could usure in a new era in video games where they are considered a legitatment media to tell the greatest stories of our time. Expand

Edited down to a tight package this could probably make a pretty good machinima feature (or Sci-Fi original motion picture for that matter). But as a game, it fails.
    Dreamfall is an amazing journey that propels players into a world where science, magic, art, and music combine to make a whole much greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. Where Dreamfall excels is in telling a story. The imaginative characters and locations are truly memorable and create a unique experience that makes the ride more enjoyable than the destination.