• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Apr 17, 2006
8.6

1. MarkL
    May 3, 2006
    Dreamfall was extremely anticipated by adventure gamers as it was the sequel to one of the best game in this genre: The Longest Journey. I was one of those who couldn't wait to get my hands on it and in the end, I was not disappointed. The game is actually a bit different from the first one because it's not a "point and click" adventure. It feels very natural because youDreamfall was extremely anticipated by adventure gamers as it was the sequel to one of the best game in this genre: The Longest Journey. I was one of those who couldn't wait to get my hands on it and in the end, I was not disappointed. The game is actually a bit different from the first one because it's not a "point and click" adventure. It feels very natural because you explore the world in full 3D and still have the deepth and content of old adventure games. The core gameplay consists of interacting with the wonderful characters. This can look limiting but it stays interesting through the whole game thanks to the excellent writing and voice acting. All the characters are well developped and contribute very well to the emotional roller coaster that is Dreamfall. There are some very minor stealth and combat gameplay elements but those are not the focus of the game.

While the technical aspect of the game isn't exactly top notch, the art design makes up for it very much. The sound is especially good; voice acting is probably the best ever and music is always very fitting and well composed. The story is amazing and very inspiring; this is number one reason to get into this game. My only grippe is that it's way too easy. There are few puzzles and they are very straightfoward. Also, the ending raises a lot of questions which is both good and bad. It's good because it leaves you thinking about it and you feel like you have to go through the game a second time. But at the same time, you don't get the same kind of resolution you would get from your typical movie, which is a little bit less satisfying.

In the end, I would recommend this game to anyone interested in a good story and very well done dialogs coupled with good production values. 9/10 !
  2. Jul 17, 2012
    Dreamfall may be the strangest game sequel ever. The gameplay, the graphical style, the character you play for most of the game, and the tone are all different from the original Longest Journey. And yet it is still very much a sequel, with some of the same characters (and a few important new ones) living in the same world(s), with enough common plot points and historical details to make itDreamfall may be the strangest game sequel ever. The gameplay, the graphical style, the character you play for most of the game, and the tone are all different from the original Longest Journey. And yet it is still very much a sequel, with some of the same characters (and a few important new ones) living in the same world(s), with enough common plot points and historical details to make it clear that you haven't accidentally bought the wrong game with a similar title. But still, it's a third-person 3D interface instead of point-and-click. It has little of the Longest Journey's snarky humor (except when Crow and Roper make their welcome reappearances), making the game feel somewhat darker. And because the humor is limited to characters you encounter, rather than the primary character you inhabit, the game feels a lot more serious overall. Also, the added freedom of exploring a 3D virtual world is offset by less interactivity; you have fewer choices, and your choices have fewer significant effects, than in the Longest Journey. Dreamfall comes close to being an "interactive movie," as other reviewers have described it. In short, I enjoyed Dreamfall very much, but not for any of the same reasons I enjoyed the Longest Journey. It is simply an engrossing story set in an interesting world with enough ties to its predecessor to feel pleasantly familiar. If you prefer combat and/or a high degree of non-linearity, look elsewhere. Expand
  3. May 11, 2013
    Note I won't be comparing it to the first game in the series.
    Dreamfall is a third person action adventure game (more adventure than action) which takes place in literally 2 worlds, Stark (technocratic) and Arcadia (Magical) and concerns itself with two main plots and a variety of subplots.
    What i liked : - Straightforward simple puzzles, none of the esoteric logic some other adventure
    Note I won't be comparing it to the first game in the series.
    What i liked :
    - Straightforward simple puzzles, none of the esoteric logic some other adventure games have.
    -Beautiful world and superb aesthetics. These places do feel familiar if they would've existed. Nothing looks too out of place and thus doesn't draw away from the immersion of the game.From Casablanca in stark to Marcuria in Arcadia, they all look equally wonderful and imaginative.
    -Stealth sections. Now compared to other reviews i didn't mind them. A couple of them have a puzzle sense to them (ie a different way to be steathy). Even if you don't like them, you can still complete them
    What i didn't like :
    -Combat It feels weak and rather random if you happen to hit the enemy or visa versa. It honestly seems tacked on.
    -CLIFFHANGER ENDING Now the good part is, at least 1 major plot gets resolved, but the game opens several others and doesn't bother to close them. AND THERE WAS NO SEQUEL IN THE NEXT 3 YEARS that really took 1 point off the total score.

Overall, if you like an engaging narrative you'll like Dreamfall. You may not love it, but still like it. A 7/10 from me
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    Dreamfall: The longest journey, is the sequel to the point and click adventure game “The Longest Journey”. Dreamfall is about exploring different worlds and character development. To put it quite bluntly, Dreamfall is a story driven game, with some flawed action sequences and some underwhelming stealth portions. I have always wanted to play Dreamfall, and for some reason I only just gotDreamfall: The longest journey, is the sequel to the point and click adventure game “The Longest Journey”. Dreamfall is about exploring different worlds and character development. To put it quite bluntly, Dreamfall is a story driven game, with some flawed action sequences and some underwhelming stealth portions. I have always wanted to play Dreamfall, and for some reason I only just got around to it. I’m glad I waited, since my younger self probably wouldn’t have appreciated the game for what it truly is, since it lacks any real action.

Dreamfall presents itself some 200 years into the future, where corporations seemingly act as the government. There is often references to the wire, which is quite honestly just the internet from what I gather, only everyone seems to be connected to it at all times. Everyone seems to be reliant on the wire for everything, and it’s heavily monitored by corporations.

The setting of Dreamfall takes place in a sci-fi world called Stark, but also a different world of magic called Arcadia. Only a few people can travel between both worlds, often called shifters. The story is completely linear, and although the game allows you to choose specific dialogue when in a conversation, the outcome is eventually going to be identical to everyone else that has played the game. The only reason to choose the other conversation options is for more back story of each character, or maybe a event. It’s quite a nice feature, and although the story is static, this makes it seem a little bit less so.

Ranging from 10-15 hours, the game is a decent length. The story itself is one of the most interesting and immersive narratives I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. Most of the game is actually listening to conversations between 2 or more people, so take that into consideration. There is also some fairly easy puzzles in the game, with a few non-obvious ones thrown into the mix. The world itself is very static and linear. There definitely can be exploration, but there isn’t anything interesting to find if you deviate from your path.

Combat and stealth need to be mentioned. Combat is simply clunky, often times you’ll be throwing punches into thin air because of how bad it is. The stealth in the game doesn’t present a meaningful experience either, as I could be standing in-front of someone 5 metres away and they won’t even notice me. Why this was even included into the final product is beyond me.

The worst part of the game though, is the awful ending. Two hours up to the games ending, you begin seeing a lot of events taking place, and a lot of questions get brought up. The ending flat out refuses to answer any of the questions you might have about other characters or sequences you saw before the end. It’s completely left to your imagination what happened to everything and everyone else besides Zoe.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, is one of my most favourite adventure games. The story itself is something everyone should experience at least once in their life. While the combat and stealth are completely awful to your experience in Dreamfall, the game is worth your time if you can appreciate a interesting narrative in a sci-fi/fantasy world
  5. JulienL.
    May 4, 2006
    This game is a milestone in terms of adventure games. Forget Grim Fadango and The curse of monkey island because this time a proper 3d Adventure game has been created. I suggest to every amateur of the genre to buy it and if you are not a fan of adventure games, I suggest you still rent it!
  6. KaneC.
    Mar 7, 2007
    I don't see how this game is getting vote rates at 1, must be because those people cant even play a game right, or they have crappy PC's. but who ever says this game is crap, they must have some handi capped disabilities, because this game is the bomb. graphics are the best, gameplay is good, puzzles, fair combat, and a weird but good storyline. Who ever gave this game a rating I don't see how this game is getting vote rates at 1, must be because those people cant even play a game right, or they have crappy PC's. but who ever says this game is crap, they must have some handi capped disabilities, because this game is the bomb. graphics are the best, gameplay is good, puzzles, fair combat, and a weird but good storyline. Who ever gave this game a rating of 1, must be smoking crack. Expand
  7. RandallS.
    Dec 19, 2008
    I have to say this is one of the most memorable adventure games I have ever played. The story is very interesting, the sound is great, the puzzles are usually pretty neat.

My only qualm is that the combat system was really simplified. I think they could have done a little bit better even though you only fight like ten things throughout the whole game. And I agree with MC. If you

And I agree with MC. If you don't like cutscenes and stories, just don't play a game like this! There is absolutely no way you can call this a bland game unless you completely skip out on the story, which would be a real shame, because it's one of the best I've seen in a game.
  8. GranvilleI.
    May 2, 2008
    I love every thing about the Game. I some how missed this Gem. Because of it i am now playing the long journey and have fallen madly in love with April Ryan.
  9. RomanO
    Jan 3, 2010
    I enjoyed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for the most part. But it should have been a pure adventure game. Every aspect of action that has been thrown into this game sucks. Fighting is beyond bad it's the worst. Stealth is just boring, feels like ir shouldn't have been there. But apart from the action parts this adventurous journey was an enormous pleasure for me. I guess the I enjoyed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for the most part. But it should have been a pure adventure game. Every aspect of action that has been thrown into this game sucks. Fighting is beyond bad it's the worst. Stealth is just boring, feels like ir shouldn't have been there. But apart from the action parts this adventurous journey was an enormous pleasure for me. I guess the creators had to make it more action oriented than the first Longest Journey, because the adventure genre is getting unpopular, but they mesed up on that. In short great adventure, bad action. Can't wait for the sequel. P.S. I give it 10 ignoring all the action parts. Expand
  10. AlexanderB.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Wonderful story, this journey is really fascinating and in the end it comes to a big final. I hope there will be a continuation someday.
  11. B.Iliev
    Apr 27, 2006
    One of the greatest stories ever told in a game. Great atmosphere,music, graphics, voice acting. It could've been the best adventure game ever if there were some more good puzzles in it. Anyway if you're a fan of The Longest Journey , an adventure gamer, or just someone who likes a good sci-fi story then you should buy it. And this is not just a good story it's an epic.
  12. JulesR.
    Jan 17, 2007
    I think this game is not a game, it's more than it, it's deeper. I didn't know a game before this one which show me something different than usually the other games did. I find that it is one of the best game I ever played. But it is not a 'perfect game', indeed, we can easily say that this game may be prefer by girls than boys. It is a consequence of the I think this game is not a game, it's more than it, it's deeper. I didn't know a game before this one which show me something different than usually the other games did. I find that it is one of the best game I ever played. But it is not a 'perfect game', indeed, we can easily say that this game may be prefer by girls than boys. It is a consequence of the sentimental dimension of the story (Reza -Jericho- & Cavanaugh). Therefore to conclued, I say that Dreamfall is a good game and it change with the others (for real 'males'). Even if I'm a boy. So good game and why not Dreamfall 3? Expand
  13. Blueroom
    Apr 26, 2007
    This was a total waste of money. hours and hours of going back and forth between characters and listening to long drawn-out dialogue with little or no relevance to the overall story. i thought this game was supposed to be for mature gamers? most of the puzzles are juvenile and linear - I've lost my cat! find it and i'll help you!' or 'i need spices! find some and This was a total waste of money. hours and hours of going back and forth between characters and listening to long drawn-out dialogue with little or no relevance to the overall story. i thought this game was supposed to be for mature gamers? most of the puzzles are juvenile and linear - I've lost my cat! find it and i'll help you!' or 'i need spices! find some and i'll help you!' ffs what a joke. the thing that pisses me off the most though is that the environments are so amazing to look at (the best i've ever seen) but i can't stand playing the game so I'm probably not even going to bother finishing it. the graphics aren't all good tho. the characters are animated badly and the facial expressions are horrendous. zoe spends a lot of time looking like an inflatable sex doll but i think it's a lame attempt at a surprised facial expression. the music is awesome and so are the ambient sounds. the dialogue is well acted but so incredibly tedious. this game must have had some amazing production values but they didn't spend any of it on gameplay and every time i see a review touting it as 'adventure game of the year' (or indeed anything with a score greater than 5/10) i can't help but be reminded of the emperor's new clothes. Expand
  14. M.Alex
    Jul 2, 2007
    A bit like an interactive movie and "quite" linear (which I don't necessarily consider a con), the magnificent story kept me glued to the screen for over 24h. If you can cope with plot linearity, try this one out.
  15. ClaudiaH.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Not as good as the original. Movement action unnecessarily awkward and few puzzles to solve make this sequel just okay but not great.
  16. E.S.
    Aug 1, 2006
    it gets a 2 because it is pretty to look at Lame puzzles, which pop up very very rarely. Absolutely a waste of time. The game is linear, which you expect from a shooter like Max Pain, but this is a sequel to a brain wrecking puzzle adventure. This lame game plays like a movie. Except you have to use a controller or keyboard to move the actors. And it's a lousy anime movie with it gets a 2 because it is pretty to look at Lame puzzles, which pop up very very rarely. Absolutely a waste of time. The game is linear, which you expect from a shooter like Max Pain, but this is a sequel to a brain wrecking puzzle adventure. This lame game plays like a movie. Except you have to use a controller or keyboard to move the actors. And it's a lousy anime movie with HORRIBLE action (they actually try to make action game sequences inthis). There is no way to zip across areas, so often you have to walk the maze back and forth to do the only one thing that you possibly can do. THere is no challenge to this game. You know those errand running quests you are put up to at the beginning of RPG's to level up quickly? Well that's all you ever do in this AWFULLY BORING game. Run here, run there. The interface is unintelligent and boring. The action (fighting if you can believe that!) not rewarding. Swordfights are for melee games. What kind of game is this? Playing this game, I felt like I was wasting time, but maybe it would get better. It did not. It gets a 2 only because it was pretty and didn't crash. Expand
  17. NoOne
    Jan 4, 2007
    I just can't believe the sequel to one of the best adventure games ever, The Longest Journey, would be so disapointing. It felt more like like watching a movie than playing a game. Although the narrative structure is very good, it seems to contradivt the story unfolded in TLJ on a few occasions. The puzzles are way too simple, the action sequences are repetitive, but worst of all, I just can't believe the sequel to one of the best adventure games ever, The Longest Journey, would be so disapointing. It felt more like like watching a movie than playing a game. Although the narrative structure is very good, it seems to contradivt the story unfolded in TLJ on a few occasions. The puzzles are way too simple, the action sequences are repetitive, but worst of all, the game is so linear that you are actually told what to do in a step by step walkthrough throughout the whole game. And the ending... well, it's obvious they planned a Dreamfall 2. But with the complete lack of effort the development team put in the creation of Dreamfall, I almost hope we'll never see the sequel. All in all, a decent movie, an awful game. If you REALLy want to play it, my advice is to borrow it. Even the price of a rental is too much for the enjoyment you'll get. Expand
  18. WarwickA.
    Feb 20, 2007
    A real genre-destroyer. Well over 60% of 'play' time was cut scenes. What a complete waste of time. Yawn. 'Combat'? There is no combat to speak of - a total of perhaps 5 'battles' which involve clicking until you win (or fail and immediately restart the battle). No adventure at all - 100% linear. 1 point for marketing - fool me once, shame on you Funcom.
  19. RickG.
    Mar 11, 2007
    The original was far superior. This is just a choose your own adventure story with nice graphics, and only one choice of adventure. Even if they do ask 1000 times what you want to do next, the only choice is 'a: Follow the only storyline." Don't waste your time. This creator sold out and is cashing in on the cult following of the original. Its not even a well told story.
  20. FelixI.
    Nov 12, 2007
    A painful experience off set by a good story. A story I can't help feel has been destroyed by poorly executed game development. Don't expect anything remotely good from the graphics. Cheesy, cheap, limp, poorly choreographed 3D animations, its appearances such as these that make the old 2D sprite games look beautiful. This game brings all the worst features from console gaming A painful experience off set by a good story. A story I can't help feel has been destroyed by poorly executed game development. Don't expect anything remotely good from the graphics. Cheesy, cheap, limp, poorly choreographed 3D animations, its appearances such as these that make the old 2D sprite games look beautiful. This game brings all the worst features from console gaming to the computer. As with other obviously console ported games, dreamfall suffers from maddeningly clumsy controls. Sound and story are good, however overall this game has the feel of a beta. Not to be to repetitive, but its horrible to look at and has worse game play. Save your money, buy the original "the longest journey" it is far superior and in my opinion has better graphics in spite of its dated appearance. I dearly hope that the developers correct these issues before dreamfall chapters. Expand
  21. L.R.
    Jul 9, 2008
    A truly awful game that will leave you disappointed if you manage to sit through it. The controls are terrible and the camera makes for a frustrating experience. But you don't have to worry about that very much as you won't find yourself actually playing the game all that often anyway. The game is comprised almost entirely of cut-scenes. In fact, you do little else but fetch A truly awful game that will leave you disappointed if you manage to sit through it. The controls are terrible and the camera makes for a frustrating experience. But you don't have to worry about that very much as you won't find yourself actually playing the game all that often anyway. The game is comprised almost entirely of cut-scenes. In fact, you do little else but fetch items in order to trigger another cut-scene. In the game there are three primary characters you watch babble. These are: Zoe (who looks eerily like a Bratz doll), April (who is extremely amusing in the first game but is-alas!-no longer. Instead her character is very macabre in a contrived way, having allegedly "lost" her Shifter powers along with, I suspect, her sense of humor) and Kian (a man who offers no surprises for the player nor, as is seen, for his enemies). You play briefly as the heroic Brian Westhouse in a Tibetan monastery during the beginning, which I thought would turn into a wholly welcome tutorial but that ultimately resulted in the game's first cut-scene (probably foreshadowing; if only I had seen it sooner). After you're done with Brian you never play as him again and although he appears later on in the game he seems as artificial and droll as the other NPCs. That was really too bad, too, as Brian's segment was the most enjoyable time I had during the game though even then it was only because Brian is an intriguing drunkard in Dreamfall's predecessor. When you do find yourself playing the game (an oversight on the director's part, I'm sure) you'll either have to solve insultingly simplistic puzzles (there are a grand total of 10 puzzles throughout the game, I think. None are memorable.), fight with a clumsy battle mechanic or sneak past a guard. Failing to sneak by in one of the sneak sequences normally results in a fight or instant death. The story is said to be the game's redeeming feature, but even this comes off as uninspired from the start. Almost immediately we are greeted by A Mysterious Girl (who is mysteriously alike to Samara, better known as The Ring Girl, or the girl from the Ring) who has a message for Zoe and attempts to convey it in a ghostly fashion via a Screen (Dreamfall's version of a television) amid static. However it would be unfair to judge the game solely on that one cliched character. The story does become rich and expands admirably. So rich and so admirably expansive does it become that it ends on a cliff hanger. Really try to avoid buying this game. Expand
  22. D.McDonald
    Jun 24, 2006
    As an complete fan of the orginal, I looked forward to game. However, I didn't get stuck once, and you were told most of the time exactly what you had to do. The answer to a puzzle was always right in front of you, and required no real thought or effort. The plot, while capitivating, lead nowhere. The enviroment was looked wonderful, but I would of prefered more time was spent on the As an complete fan of the orginal, I looked forward to game. However, I didn't get stuck once, and you were told most of the time exactly what you had to do. The answer to a puzzle was always right in front of you, and required no real thought or effort. The plot, while capitivating, lead nowhere. The enviroment was looked wonderful, but I would of prefered more time was spent on the puzzles and having a story that went somewhere. Expand
  23. DanielS.
    Jan 7, 2008
    First off, for an "adventure game" Dreamfall lacks any worthwhile adventure game elements. Almost all the "puzzles" in the game are very spoon fed "go where the camera points" affairs. The controls are terrible for a PC game, as are the tiny tiny levels. Said tiny levels are also almost completely devoid of anything to do except pick up the one item you've been sent for or talk to First off, for an "adventure game" Dreamfall lacks any worthwhile adventure game elements. Almost all the "puzzles" in the game are very spoon fed "go where the camera points" affairs. The controls are terrible for a PC game, as are the tiny tiny levels. Said tiny levels are also almost completely devoid of anything to do except pick up the one item you've been sent for or talk to the lone interesting NPC. "Combat" consists of waiting for your opponent to block then pressing heavy attack until they fall down. But most importantly, all these things could stand aside in the face of a good story. Which of course isn't present in this game. While it definitely has its moments for the most part the story slowly goes nowhere, takes a few contrived twists, and finally to top it all off all the good guys die and evil wins the day. Despite one character's claims to the contrary, by the end it seems like everything would have worked out the same if you had just stayed in bed. Except maybe fewer people would have died. Expand
  24. Aug 5, 2011
    Dreamfall has a very engaging story until toward the end when the story just abruptly ends. Very confusing. Where are the Cliffs notes? Aside from a confusing ending, the graphics were great, hats off to the artists. The puzzles detracted from the story and had nothing to do with the storyline, which is probably typical for an adventure game. But this wasn't much of and adventure gameDreamfall has a very engaging story until toward the end when the story just abruptly ends. Very confusing. Where are the Cliffs notes? Aside from a confusing ending, the graphics were great, hats off to the artists. The puzzles detracted from the story and had nothing to do with the storyline, which is probably typical for an adventure game. But this wasn't much of and adventure game anyway, just a story pretending to be an adventure game. Collapse
  25. Pirateguybrush
    May 5, 2006
    Awesome game, the ending made me cry.
  26. AmundB.
    Apr 23, 2006
    The best game ive played in ages.
  27. EllaP.
    May 14, 2006
    A wonderful game with beautiful screenshots, and soundtrack, and a plot that still has me thinking, and thinking....
  28. BenC.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Excellent Game! Challenging puzzles and fairly good gameplay. Thanks!
  29. Jul 2, 2011
    I own over 125 PC games and have been playing PC games since they came on floppy discs and ran on Dos with 640k memory. Having said that, I've played a lot of great games, and a lot of BAD games. Then there is the LONGEST Journey. I'm assuming it's titled that because playing this game seems that way when you are fighting with controls to move around in the game, and listening to continuedI own over 125 PC games and have been playing PC games since they came on floppy discs and ran on Dos with 640k memory. Having said that, I've played a lot of great games, and a lot of BAD games. Then there is the LONGEST Journey. I'm assuming it's titled that because playing this game seems that way when you are fighting with controls to move around in the game, and listening to continued talks between strangers and friends. This is not a GAME. It's a Cartoon Movie. Any potential game play was KILLED by extremely poor controls. Expand
  30. FredE.
    May 12, 2006
    The game is unplayable due to software bugs that cause frequent lockups and crashes. The concept is very good but this game was clearly not ready to be released (most beta test software is far more stable).
  31. Lev
    Aug 20, 2008
    Was a huge disappointment after TLJ. Not to mention that the new characters sucked, they also ruined April and Crow. The gameplay was nothing special and the story was pointless. TLJ would have deserved a better sequel, or maybe the best idea would have been to leave it alone.
  32. Sindow
    Jan 7, 2009
    Dreamfall is what happens when an adventure game is developed for a game pad instead of a mouse. It can either be seen as a very wordy action/stealth game with hardly any action or a gimped adventure game with not enough adventuring and awful action and stealth parts. Like in many other games by trying to please too many people the developers have pleased no one and created a game Dreamfall is what happens when an adventure game is developed for a game pad instead of a mouse. It can either be seen as a very wordy action/stealth game with hardly any action or a gimped adventure game with not enough adventuring and awful action and stealth parts. Like in many other games by trying to please too many people the developers have pleased no one and created a game consistent in its mediocrity. Expand
  33. JTT
    May 3, 2006
    The story of Dreamfall is spectacularly immersive! No senseless puzzles, these challenges involve finding objects and convincing characters to help you. There are multiple ways to solve everything, some dramatically change how you progress in the game! Plenty of replay, I'm still finding new ways! The only downside is the PC controls stink (waiting for a patch for that), XBox controlsThe story of Dreamfall is spectacularly immersive! No senseless puzzles, these challenges involve finding objects and convincing characters to help you. There are multiple ways to solve everything, some dramatically change how you progress in the game! Plenty of replay, I'm still finding new ways! The only downside is the PC controls stink (waiting for a patch for that), XBox controls are fine. Expand
  34. MarilenaP.
    May 28, 2008
    Live your story! I'm absolutely amazed and sad that it ended... Where is the next one?
  35. Mofkeesx
    Sep 7, 2006
    This game grabs you, good story line, nice characters, can't wait for part 3.
  36. kristinlynn
    Jul 22, 2009
    I have a huge PROBLEM with the ending!!! Basically everyone dies and the bad guys (WatiCorp) win and release 'Dreamtime'.....are you serious?!?! I have never been so upset at the end of a game as I was about 5 minutes ago!
    Other than that.....the storyline and visuals were wonderful and enchanting....which is the only reason why I didn't throw the game out my window and yell, lol
  37. TheaA.
    Apr 21, 2006
    This game is just as boring as The longest journey, and the graphics are stuck in the 90's. There's no sense of YOU actually playing the game - you're just tagging along on what should be a movie instead of a game.
  38. d_jediknight
    Mar 26, 2008
    This is the worst piece of shovelware that I have ever been unfortunate enough to experience for the PC. It is SO buggy just trying to get the game up and running that I gave up and threw it in the back of my closet in disgust. 1) Can't install AT ALL if not enough space on Windows drive (not the drive I want to install it on, the drive Windows is on!) 2).. after having to EDIT THE This is the worst piece of shovelware that I have ever been unfortunate enough to experience for the PC. It is SO buggy just trying to get the game up and running that I gave up and threw it in the back of my closet in disgust. 1) Can't install AT ALL if not enough space on Windows drive (not the drive I want to install it on, the drive Windows is on!) 2).. after having to EDIT THE REGISTRY to get it to install.. I'm forced to put the disc in every time to play. Par for the course, run of the mill, pain in the ass copy protection? Not quite. Because WHENEVER I PUT THE DISC IN, THE F**KING INSTALLER POPS UP! Aspyr has no solution for this problem. They were unwilling to accomodate me in any way (such as sending an offical "NO-CD" patch). BUYER BEWARE! Expand
  39. Jan 24, 2012
    This is not a game. It is a slightly interactive movie. It's maybe one or two steps more advanced than clicking a "Next" button to watch the next cutscene. Most of the input from the player-- I mean, viewer, consists of running through towns to the next cutscene. There are a handful of symbol puzzles. There are also a number of interactive "world" puzzles, but all of these have eitherThis is not a game. It is a slightly interactive movie. It's maybe one or two steps more advanced than clicking a "Next" button to watch the next cutscene. Most of the input from the player-- I mean, viewer, consists of running through towns to the next cutscene. There are a handful of symbol puzzles. There are also a number of interactive "world" puzzles, but all of these have either painfully obvious solutions, or are clunky and tiresome. The story takes a long, long time to get good (I was bored witless for about 80% of it). But it does get good, very good, eventually. Right when it gets good, however, it ends. None of the plot's major elements come to a conclusion and this immediately sours and frustrates what little enjoyment I recieved from this gam-... movie. Don't pay more for this than you would for a night at the movies, popcorn included. Expand
  40. May 14, 2012
    Gosh! That game really sucks....ugly character design,stiff animations and poor backgrounds!
    The graphic "designers" must have come straight from school...TERRIBLE !!!
    ( like: YEAH ! I am soooo proud of me....i can create a 3d model....i never was good in school but the computer makes me feel like a real artist !! )) LOOOOL !!! Just talent-free wannabe´s !! The story
    The graphic "designers" must have come straight from school...TERRIBLE !!!
    The story has been told like 1000 times....boring ! Stupid dialogues all the time.....

The only good thing is: I like norway......
  41. Feb 13, 2013
    It is a masterpiece, albeit simplified for the sake of gameplay time, no hardcore, but it is a new genre of interactive cinema, and this game handles told story not be forgotten for a long time zasyadet in your memory, this is one of those magical events, in which you believe.
  42. HS
    Jun 7, 2006
    Im currently playing dreamfall and although simple its still quite enjoyable. But as a fan of the longest journey im dissapointed. I have been playing adventure games for around 16 years and I really cant say that this game will be getting anywhere near the list of my favourites. Older games such as monkey island series, Grim fandango, Blade runner and the longest journey offer so much Im currently playing dreamfall and although simple its still quite enjoyable. But as a fan of the longest journey im dissapointed. I have been playing adventure games for around 16 years and I really cant say that this game will be getting anywhere near the list of my favourites. Older games such as monkey island series, Grim fandango, Blade runner and the longest journey offer so much more. Overall im just dissapointed that from the makers of such a wonderful original comes a fairly drab sequel. I also find that I cant really feel any empathy for zoe. Something this has inspired me to do is get the longest journey out again and prove they can create a wonderful game. If they do follow this up I hope they return to the originals roots in gameplay, puzzles and actually when I think about it presentation. Expand
  43. Sam
    Feb 1, 2007
    A fantastic storyline and good graphics. The fight scenes are annoying and the ending is very disappointing though.
  44. ZeroDevice
    Dec 20, 2005
    GREAT GAME.
  45. DianS.
    Apr 25, 2006
    When does the Dreamfall 3 come out? ;)
  46. XavierS.
    May 16, 2006
    This game is simply amazing. Full of magic, of emotions, of everything. An excellent plot and three unforgettable characters (especially Zoë). Good graphics. And now I'm waiting for a sequel.
  47. AndreL.
    May 23, 2006
    Finally a 3d environment with a true point and click adventure admosphere. Beautiful storyline, very good graphics. A worthy successor of The Longest journy.
  48. JoeK.
    May 24, 2006
    GREAT GAME!
    May 2, 2006
    [bad points] A lot more like an interactive movie than a game. Story was badly written, especially the end. It looked like they complicated the story so much, that in the end they didn't know quite how to explain it. I didn't like to keep switching characters, it took me out of the story, with the continous switching, especially since the story was hidden, yet to be revealed! [bad points] A lot more like an interactive movie than a game. Story was badly written, especially the end. It looked like they complicated the story so much, that in the end they didn't know quite how to explain it. I didn't like to keep switching characters, it took me out of the story, with the continous switching, especially since the story was hidden, yet to be revealed! It's was frustrating. [good points] The grapics, the sounds, the animation, the gadgets. Expand
  50. LarsJ.
    May 29, 2006
    Great game and perhaps more important spectacular stoy. But wish it could have been just a little bit longer.
  51. EivindN.
    May 4, 2006
    After playing this game I am left with a feeling of hunger. The story is not self-contained, it is not finished, and I want more. This is an interactive story, and I want an ending. Yet every moment I spent playing this game was a joy. The graphics are charming, the characters really grow on you, and the plot is enticing in its mystery. Recommended to all adventure, roleplaying and After playing this game I am left with a feeling of hunger. The story is not self-contained, it is not finished, and I want more. This is an interactive story, and I want an ending. Yet every moment I spent playing this game was a joy. The graphics are charming, the characters really grow on you, and the plot is enticing in its mystery. Recommended to all adventure, roleplaying and plot-fans. Amazing game. Expand
  52. Salmonax
    May 4, 2006
    I have a lot of trouble recommending this game to people who haven't played the first.... Not only does it not entirely succeed as a game (though different people seem willing to tolerate this to varying degrees), but I think your excitement at playing it would be significantly less if you're seeing Stark and Arcadia for the very first time.... For all its depth, the bare I have a lot of trouble recommending this game to people who haven't played the first.... Not only does it not entirely succeed as a game (though different people seem willing to tolerate this to varying degrees), but I think your excitement at playing it would be significantly less if you're seeing Stark and Arcadia for the very first time.... For all its depth, the bare essentials just feel fleshed out less than they were in the first game. Expand
  53. JoelP.
    May 4, 2006
    Dreamfall is one of the best games I've ever played. The story is absolutely amazing. It is breathtaking. The ending will leave you yearning for more and the feeling it gives is indesribable. The sound is amazing. Voice acting is superb. The music is fantastic. Grahpics are good. Gameplay is fun, simple and really helps the story by not getting in the way too much.
  54. Ged
    May 5, 2006
    It's great game. tnanks all developer's team for: 1) they create not just abstract story, but a game where in the form of tale we can figure out some fundamental things about real life; 2) revolutionary approach to gameplay, player plays for different heroes by turns, and thus can understand whole palette of their intentions; 3) as a young man i like some features in main heroesIt's great game. tnanks all developer's team for: 1) they create not just abstract story, but a game where in the form of tale we can figure out some fundamental things about real life; 2) revolutionary approach to gameplay, player plays for different heroes by turns, and thus can understand whole palette of their intentions; 3) as a young man i like some features in main heroes - they try to solve questions which i also to; 4) natural actor's voices that help to sink into the story 5) very beautiful, made lovely, graphics Expand
  55. HakonK.
    May 5, 2006
    Two word: Must Have! And I mean that! If you're missing out on this one, your missing out on something truly great. Its a work of genious!
  56. IvanoF.
    May 5, 2006
    Totally great story and adventure game, although it lacks a bit more complex puzzles. Absolutely mandatory playing the first The Longest Journey to appreciate every single inch of this fantastic story, although it doesn't matter if you play that before or afterwards. One of the best pieces of interactive fiction, ever. You'll grow attached to the characters and places, you just Totally great story and adventure game, although it lacks a bit more complex puzzles. Absolutely mandatory playing the first The Longest Journey to appreciate every single inch of this fantastic story, although it doesn't matter if you play that before or afterwards. One of the best pieces of interactive fiction, ever. You'll grow attached to the characters and places, you just can't help it, and there's a good replayability factor too, not only will you want to play it again for the story, but even to try different solutions to the same situations, and there are some easter eggs scattered around too Expand
  57. StjepanM.
    May 8, 2006
    An excellent game, in an excellent genre, that is, alas, dying out. So buy it!
  58. SimonasT.
    May 9, 2006
    A great game, if not through traditional gameplay, then by telling increadible story in an incredible way. One of those thing that cannot be told about - you have to see it for yourself.
  59. EzraiA.
    Jun 12, 2006
    A fantastic story driven game with brilliant voice acting.
  60. RobertR.
    Jun 20, 2006
    The best game so far this year! The story is fantastic and it pulls you right in. The gameplay is suprising varied which is great. I would recommend this game to anyone!
  61. JoelB.
    Jun 29, 2006
    Loved the game, couldn't leave it alone until I was done. Fighting interface was a little clumsy.
  62. YikB.
    Jun 6, 2006
    Pros: Best story to come out since The Longest Journey itself: emotional, provocative, unforgettable, enlightening; extremely memorable characters; stellar voice acting; beautiful soundtrack; yes, there
  63. AcidMOnkey
    Aug 4, 2006
    This is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. Great graphics, awesome storyline, and even better characters. I would recommend this to anyone.
  64. SeanM.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Dreamfall isn't a game; if you want a game, move on. The entire thing could have been easily done in a Myst-like format and been none the worse for it. The scenery is stunning, the characters are cute and engaging, the story is a bit of a Lifetime movie but still good, and the music could be worse. On the other hand, the character animation is painfully bad, the melee system doubly Dreamfall isn't a game; if you want a game, move on. The entire thing could have been easily done in a Myst-like format and been none the worse for it. The scenery is stunning, the characters are cute and engaging, the story is a bit of a Lifetime movie but still good, and the music could be worse. On the other hand, the character animation is painfully bad, the melee system doubly so, and the puzzles don't need much thought. A lot of people complain about the ending, but it felt like a well encapsulated story arc to me. Just remember that the narrative doesn't begin or end here. Expand
  65. SaxonS.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Stunning visuals and great story, make great movie and will change the way you think, remember to turn graphics up, I only found that out till I saw the end of the credits
  66. JW
    Feb 21, 2007
    It is a good game and its a bit short. I beat it in 12 hours. I will be thinking about the next release if there is one.
  67. JianZhenNg
    Mar 22, 2007
    Perfect is the word. It's like a mixture of Fable : The Lost Chapters and The Indigo Prophecy. The ending is well done and the fighting is fair for this genre of gaming. I found Crow to be my favorite character giving some laughter into this game. OH! I can't wait for a 3rd game. Apart from some excruciating long dialogs, I love it!
  68. SteveJ.
    Mar 8, 2007
    That was the first PC game I have played little to no fighting with 2 key pushing k and l. game play was little to none near end. everyone dies whats with that what happened to the other characters. am i going to have to wait till the next one comes out dont know about that. the only good thing was the (story) but then they killed all main characters just cant get over that pissed me off That was the first PC game I have played little to no fighting with 2 key pushing k and l. game play was little to none near end. everyone dies whats with that what happened to the other characters. am i going to have to wait till the next one comes out dont know about that. the only good thing was the (story) but then they killed all main characters just cant get over that pissed me off wtf think ill stick to my shoot em up games zoe was pretty hot though id go her lol back to counterstrike now maybe can make up for the lack of fighting Expand
  69. FelixR.
    Apr 25, 2007
    That was money down the drain purchasing this game. If I would have had the chance to try the game before purchasing it, I wouldn't have given a dime for it. It doesn't even worth the space it eats up from my HDD. The most boring game I have ever tried. Oh my, when I have to run up and fro through four scenes to get something just for bringing it back, and nothing happens during That was money down the drain purchasing this game. If I would have had the chance to try the game before purchasing it, I wouldn't have given a dime for it. It doesn't even worth the space it eats up from my HDD. The most boring game I have ever tried. Oh my, when I have to run up and fro through four scenes to get something just for bringing it back, and nothing happens during running! (Yes, you'll see eight "loading" just because you gotta run for something and bring it back!) I guess the developers thought this is fun, but in my opinion only for those who never played with good games. And the controlling method of the game! Oh boy! If I'd ever have a chance to ask a geek who thinks this is a good way, what he thought when developed it! Not to mention those very long and boring dialogs, and cut scenes... And the voice of characters? Most of them are like someone was wakened up from the deepest sleep and read it. Zero acting performance. My "favorite" is Na'ane. Anyone could act it's voice out better. And the mimics of characters? It would have been ok 5-6 years ago. Expand
  70. JeroenW.
    May 8, 2007
    I started playing this game and immediately got hooked. I was thrilled by the storyline, and played most of my time 2 days after eachother, and the ending plot nearly brought me to tears. Great graphics, great music, great story: this all makes up dearly for a lack of challenge and linear gameplay. If you get into this game, you'll get hooked like reading a great bestseller book. I started playing this game and immediately got hooked. I was thrilled by the storyline, and played most of my time 2 days after eachother, and the ending plot nearly brought me to tears. Great graphics, great music, great story: this all makes up dearly for a lack of challenge and linear gameplay. If you get into this game, you'll get hooked like reading a great bestseller book. Which brings me to the only really bad point of this game: it's too short! It would be soo much better if it were longer. Expand
  71. AlexL.
    Jun 20, 2007
    This game is great in many ways, but ultimately hugely disappointing. The graphics are incredible, the gameplay system (including fighting) well crafted. The plot is clever (although involving an unfeasible number of beautiful female characters), the acting mostly good. But 'anonymous's review is quite right. There is just not enough game. There are a handful of bits of proper This game is great in many ways, but ultimately hugely disappointing. The graphics are incredible, the gameplay system (including fighting) well crafted. The plot is clever (although involving an unfeasible number of beautiful female characters), the acting mostly good. But 'anonymous's review is quite right. There is just not enough game. There are a handful of bits of proper adventure, problem solving etc. But it is mostly just walking from one location to another in order to have very long and involved conversations with people. Zoe's refreshing attitude soon gets lost. This is like a mildy interactive film. If that's what you want, then fine. Otherwise, go back to playing Monkey Island. Expand
  72. RayG.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Absolutely superb game. Can't wait for the next installment. I need closure.
  73. SethL.
    Jul 17, 2007
    They really pulled me in with this one. Despite the overuse of cinematics, I was enthralled. The game play and graphics were pretty good, too. It's almost a fusion of different genres and pushes the boundaries of what a game is. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in quite some time.
  74. AaronB.
    Jul 19, 2007
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game - but so many threads left unanswered.
  75. DuxR.
    Oct 9, 2008
    Along with Chrono Trigger, the best game I ever played (and since Chrono is 2D and this is 3D, I might say it's the best 3D game I ever played!!).
  76. VeikkoH.
    Feb 4, 2008
    I found the game a glorious experience. The game system had its flaws (poor camera), but the environments were really atmospheric and the plot was enjoyable. However, beware that you may not appreciate/understand the game unless you've played the first sequel, The Longest Longest.
  77. MackS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Great game, I love how every character has their own unique personality and the voice-overs are AMAZING. Great fantasy that requires you to finish through to understand all the secrets.
  78. DennyJ.
    Jul 9, 2008
    See the comments by 'Anonymous' to get a real feel for this game. He is dead on. This game is dreadful. Nice graphics for sure, (credit where credit is due) but that is the ONLY interesting thing about it, If I were a teenage girl, (which I'm neither of) with little hand-eye coordination, no friends to speak of, and little interest in reading, I might enjoy this See the comments by 'Anonymous' to get a real feel for this game. He is dead on. This game is dreadful. Nice graphics for sure, (credit where credit is due) but that is the ONLY interesting thing about it, If I were a teenage girl, (which I'm neither of) with little hand-eye coordination, no friends to speak of, and little interest in reading, I might enjoy this 'game' just for it's unrelenting ability to waste one's time. One word of advice: before you play Dreamfall, buy yourself an extra spacebar. You'll be wearing the one you have now out skipping through the meaningless cut scenes and the teeth-grindingly long dialog sequences. Better yet, don't waste your time and money with this stinker period. Expand
  79. ZeroDevice
    Aug 5, 2008
    GREAT GAME.
  80. NoSpamNoSpam
    Nov 6, 2006
    The first part was just awesome and probably one of the greatest game I've ever played. But, the end of Dreamfall is so disappointing and meaningless, that it's leaving a bad feeling at the end.
  81. OliverL.
    Apr 22, 2006
    Wow, this game gave me one of the best experience i have had in years. The story just pull you in and grab hold of you. When i was done with it it was almost like "what have I just played". I totally recommend this game.
  82. WendyN.
    Apr 22, 2006
    I'm a big fan of Ragnar Tornquists cause its always such a stunningly good story , i played the longest yourney over and over , almost know it blindly and i still like playing it , now i bought dreamfall and at first it wouldn't work with my gforce4 card and oddly on the other pc i own with a gforce3 it works perfect , and i loved it from the start , hope more the longest I'm a big fan of Ragnar Tornquists cause its always such a stunningly good story , i played the longest yourney over and over , almost know it blindly and i still like playing it , now i bought dreamfall and at first it wouldn't work with my gforce4 card and oddly on the other pc i own with a gforce3 it works perfect , and i loved it from the start , hope more the longest journeys will follow cause i'm so in love with the story and the graphics are even more stunning indreamfall , worth to buy people. Expand
  83. JohnnyD.
    Apr 22, 2006
    it has vary few puzzels those that aer their are boring. the dialogs are boring the combats the stealf, evrything is boring. all in all a pritty boring game!
  84. Thuggie
    Apr 24, 2006
    visually nothing new, but script is intriguing, sounds nicely, and will suck you in like moving sands. Crow character is great.
  85. JadeShiseido
    Apr 28, 2006
    I never played TLJ but I feel that allows me an unbaised opinion of Dreamfall. The ugly in Dreamfall: character modeling, the control response and the combat system. The bad, the unchallenging puzzle solving and linear world exploration. The good, the storyline line and character interactions. Dreamfall attempts to merge RPG, adventure and action genres but the overall effect falls flat.I never played TLJ but I feel that allows me an unbaised opinion of Dreamfall. The ugly in Dreamfall: character modeling, the control response and the combat system. The bad, the unchallenging puzzle solving and linear world exploration. The good, the storyline line and character interactions. Dreamfall attempts to merge RPG, adventure and action genres but the overall effect falls flat. The game's primary redeeming quality is the storyline, which is intriguing, and it successfully motivates the gamer to care about Zoe and complete the game. Expand
  86. TewodrosB.
    May 12, 2006
    A must have. Players all around the world should experience this work of art.
  87. Ric
    May 13, 2006
    Great game that everyone needs to play!
  88. X.X.
    May 16, 2006
    Best game this year. An absolute marvel to adventure games and it picks up and smoothly right after the first TLJ.
  89. JustinM.
    May 22, 2006
    If you enjoyed The Longest Journey, you can't go wrong by buying Dreamfall. However, if you played either game, then there's no point in me trying to win you over. You would already be a fan. That's what these games do, they win you over and you become a real fan of the story and creators. You wait anxiously for the next part of the story. Give The Longest Journey and If you enjoyed The Longest Journey, you can't go wrong by buying Dreamfall. However, if you played either game, then there's no point in me trying to win you over. You would already be a fan. That's what these games do, they win you over and you become a real fan of the story and creators. You wait anxiously for the next part of the story. Give The Longest Journey and Dreamfall a try. If you love good stories and deep characters, these games are for you. This game was made by real story tellers and artists. The voice acting is professional and they give really moving performances. The artistic direction is what you would expect from such creative and imaginative minds. Expand
  90. Dimitri
    May 22, 2006
    This game is absolutely beautifull in looks and story. It runs perfectly without any crashes or lockups for me. For anyone who played The Longest Journey 6 years ago (or any adventure lover) this is a must have.
  91. BrandonA.
    May 24, 2006
    Very well designed and layed out game, with an unstoppable storyline. It's ideas and the way it blatantly questions morality and religion is amazing, and the adventuring is sound. Interestingly enough some people expect an adventure game to have a wonderful fighting engine, seems like they should go buy a Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, or DOA game. And for the record, I enjoy those Very well designed and layed out game, with an unstoppable storyline. It's ideas and the way it blatantly questions morality and religion is amazing, and the adventuring is sound. Interestingly enough some people expect an adventure game to have a wonderful fighting engine, seems like they should go buy a Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, or DOA game. And for the record, I enjoy those games too, it comes with being a gamer to enjoy all types, apparently unlike many people who rate a game low because they dislike the genre. Expand
  92. ZaraM.
    May 29, 2006
    its a really good game its upsetting at the end and so much graphical work congrats peeps.
  93. NellieT.
    May 31, 2006
    Dreamfall -- a fantastic follow-up to the adventure game classic, The Longest Journey. A story and character-driven game, Dreamfall takes player on an amazing journey between fantasy and science fiction. A must-play game!
  94. WouterC.
    May 4, 2006
    One of the best stories I ever saw in a game. Puzzles are pretty simple, which die-hard adventure gamers might not like, but newcomers might. It's a fantastic game, but it does have a couple of flaws. However, when you start playing it, it really sucks you in. At least it did with me :) In the words of the merchant: Wonderful! Fan-tastic! :)
  95. LeeAnnS.
    May 7, 2006
    Wonderful game- check this and the it's precessador - the Longest Journey out! Amazing graphics and story! Highly recommended!
  96. RandyK.
    May 7, 2006
    The script writers don't shut their sociology books long enough to let you participate much in the adventure. It's a none-too-subtle morality tale thick with the evils of colonialism, military occupation, religious oppression, and racial profiling -- in other words, it was one helluva ride. Dreamfall, despite its heavy-handed approach, is pattently relevant to global events The script writers don't shut their sociology books long enough to let you participate much in the adventure. It's a none-too-subtle morality tale thick with the evils of colonialism, military occupation, religious oppression, and racial profiling -- in other words, it was one helluva ride. Dreamfall, despite its heavy-handed approach, is pattently relevant to global events (past and present). Beware, pixel-junkies: Storytelling trumps both graphics and gameplay. This one's not showing at the Short Attention Span Theater. Expand
  97. MetaG.
    May 8, 2006
    Probably the best computer game I ever played. Never before did I feel so much involved into a game. If ever you still doubt that computer games are an art as well as literature, or movies are, you must play dreamfall. And if you don't doubt it, you should play dreamfall nonetheless. You won't regret it.
  98. VanityC.
    May 8, 2006
    By far one of the most amazing games I've ever played. Amazing gameplay and graphics and the most fascinating story in a game since The Longest Journey.
  99. Andrew
    Jun 1, 2006
    This game was amazing, easily the best story i've encountered in a game. better than a lot movies in fact. i played this game for over 6 hours straight i just didn't want to stop playing. Simply put, both dreamfall and the longest journey is a must play for anyone who likes a compelling story. p.s. the music in the game is great mad props to magnet.
  100. DreamNet
    Jun 13, 2006
    better than the first one on gameplay and as good in story. best adventure game ive ever played with my favorite story. puzzles arent too terriblly difficult but new focus sight system and compelling voice acting and storyline this game is a 10 out of 10.
  101. Aug 5, 2011

Edited down to a tight package this could probably make a pretty good machinima feature (or Sci-Fi original motion picture for that matter). But as a game, it fails.
    Dreamfall is an amazing journey that propels players into a world where science, magic, art, and music combine to make a whole much greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. Where Dreamfall excels is in telling a story. The imaginative characters and locations are truly memorable and create a unique experience that makes the ride more enjoyable than the destination.