Driftmoon PC

7.2

1. Apr 4, 2014
    Compared to other games, Driftmoon has these positive features:

1. Excellent game balance The player can progress through the game at a steady pace. No constant “run here to pick up drops from dead enemies”, “run there to sell useless items to a merchant”. Occasionally during the game, I worried “I’m not going to make it...I’m not going to make it”. At that moment, Driftmoon
    Compared to other games, Driftmoon has these positive features:

1. Excellent game balance

Occasionally during the game, I worried “I’m not going to make it...I’m not going to make it”. At that moment, Driftmoon provided some kind of welcome relief.

In short, the game’s developer is **very** empathetic towards the player.

2. Puzzles

I’m not a big fan of puzzles in RPG games because they break up my “hacking and slashing” rhythm.

In Driftmoon, the puzzles are perfect, adding another facet to the game’s pleasant atmosphere.

3. Waypoints

As the player explores an area, Driftmoon **automatically** sets waypoints.

Then, at moments when, in any other game, the player would think, “I don’t want to trudge through there again”, the player can simply display the local map and click on the desired waypoint to transfer immediately to a previous location.

4. Font

Silly, I know, but I really like the font that the developer used for text in Driftmoon. Moreover—and I’ve never seen it in any other game—the player can adjust the font size via a slider.

5. Feedback

Driftmoon’s developer welcomes feedback. Throughout the game, the player can press the “f” key to display a feedback form. The completed form is automatically sent to the developer along with, if the player desires, an automatically generated screenshot.

Negative Features

This review would seem like a marketing pitch (and I do recommend purchasing Driftmoon) if I didn’t include some complaints:

1. Even though the Mod Editor provides tooltips, the Mod Editor is **not** intuitively obvious to the uninitiated. No documentation exists to explain its functions.

2. The website of the game’s developer, Instant Kingdom, needs a makeover.

What do these two complaints have in common? They show that the game’s developer has focused attention on producing an excellent game rather than on secondary issues.

1. Jan 24, 2014
    Conservative, but entertaining roleplaying adventure.
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    Driftmoon is much like a classic fairytale story, overflowing with charisma and heart. The game takes a modest approach in its systems, but shines with clever writing and memorable characters. Whatever flavor of RPG you enjoy, Driftmoon is a delectable treat, particularly if you tend to shy away from the genre's typically complex gourmet meals.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    May 1, 2013
    Hardcore aspects combined with uncomplicated play make for an intoxicatingly enjoyable and nostalgic journey. [May 2013, p.92]