5.8

1. Jun 15, 2011
    I so wanted to like this game. We need new, innovative and daring FPSs - in short we need Duke. So what went wrong? Well this game feels like the rag bag of development that it is. Some levels are ok, not great, but ok. Most levels are terrible. The graphics are very dated - but it isn't just the graphics, the whole feel of the game.is clunky. The level design is boring and extremely linear. The one liners are funny for the most part but they can't rescue this slow, ploddy game. Long boring driving sections - I love driving sections in most games but this just doesn't work. The vehicles feel like they are slowing you down more than helping. Out of fuel again? What's that - three times? It plods and it plods.

Really annoying are the many times when a game character blocks your path by standing in the middle of a wide corridor. Look, I could drive a bus through that gap but Duke has his nose against the invisible wall and the game is not letting me past until I've watched a tedious video on a TV or listened to some dialogue. I want to scream "You're Duke - shove that guy out of your way." It isn't happening. This feels really pointlessly irritating when you find a kid sitting on your throne who refuses to move unless you take his photo. Yep that's right - Duke has to run around after some kid before being allowed to proceed. If that doesn't ruin the immersion nothing will. Bad, bad, bad idea - but it's just one example. I had plenty to choose from.

I have waited for this for years. I played, and loved Duke 3D all those years ago. I wanted this to be great but I'm not letting that blind me to a truly horrible gaming experience. This is my opinion of course - but I have stated clear reasons above why this game is bad. And it really is bad. Oh God it's bad. How ever much of a fan you are stop and think. Or at least stop and wait until this hits the bargain bin - you won't have to wait long.
  2. Jun 14, 2011
    Quite frankly the greatest game of our generation. From the rock solid humor to the smooth graphics, all is good here. I can;t speak for the issues people are having with the console versions, but the pc version is top notch! Game of The year, BABY!!
  3. Jun 14, 2011
    Not as ground-breaking as its predecessor, Duke Nukem Forever nevertheless brings in some much needed fun into the genre with a memorable single-player campaign with humorous details littered throughout and some semi-old school pacing.

The 12 hour SP campaign is unusually compelling, has some great moments and the interactive ego boosters you find are rewarding. The story and character
    is essentially over the top satire and a lot of the humor references other games and pop culture. The puzzles are great, supplying a pacing one finds in past Valve titles and are all very engaging. Most levels feel unique and a few provide interesting twists to gameplay. Many of the scripted sequences lack polish and a few areas appear downright bare when nothing happens. The FBA animations are world class and create cinematic events to immerse you in a rather zany action hero.

The weapons are a smart mix of conventional, alien and fun. A limited carry capacity for primary guns stresses environmental interaction and map domination. The separately mapped explosives and powerups make for clever tactics. Boss fights provide unique challenges and end in amusing fatalities in keeping with the series. Duke's ego, itself a parody of regenerating health systems, provides some respite from the occasionally punishing combat and brutal enemy characters.

Graphics are a mixed bag as Vegas looks like a dull attempt at realism and many outdoors areas in general don't have the vibrancy of most indoor levels, which are rendered well. Post-processing effects often tend to miss the mark and some explosions and weapon effects don't always look too good while other effects and dynamic soft shadows look very nice. The level geometry is mostly for the low end and while static meshes are detailed, this is a game that's meant to run better than it looks.

Overall, it's a remarkably fun, un-PC game and despite the lack of polish in many areas, makes for a uniquely hand-crafted experience that stays with you. I'd recommend this to fans of the Half-life series who don't mind a varied pace. But those interested in graphics or more polished titles with tighter, combat to combat scripting like the Call of Duty series might want to wait till this one is on sale.
  4. Jun 14, 2011
    The game really was everything what i expected and even more. Gameplay is good, maps are good and characters are good. I thought that only 2 guns with you would be weird in Duke but actually i didn't even notice that when playing because the shooting was so fun and worked so well. Beer, steroids, monster, puzzles, "little duke", etc worked well and was fun. Those who want graphics or just multiplayer can eat bubblegum but those who want good singleplayer first time in years: it's time to kick ass! Expand
  5. Jun 18, 2011
    Having just beaten the game, I can honestly say that Duke Nukem Forever is not as terrible as many people are claiming it is. For everyone that is absolutely sh&^%ng themselves over what a disappointing game this is for the wait, I have to say I'm a little baffled. It's really no better or worse than these other "Triple A" titles getting churned out in less than a year coming out the gate lately. In an industry filled with disappointing redundant sequel after disappointing lack of improvement sequel, it's kind of nice to have this blast from the past finally get released.

In my time playing the game I encountered only one glitch, which by my count is frankly surprising. Considering what a train wreck this game must have been to work on once 3DRealms was out of the picture I expected to encounter a lot more hiccups than I did. The graphics look and feel a lot like they do in Prey. Dated by today's standards, but still passable. The real tragedy here was the lack of consistency in development and if, god forbid, Gearbox had had more time to work on it this could have been an even better game.

There are certainly glimmers of the game that could have been sprinkled throughout the experience, and to be honest that's not such a bad thing. I'm glad some of the old Duke charm actually made it into the final product instead of none at all. Hopefully when work starts on the sequel they can focus their efforts on improving the gameplay instead of having to clean up a mess first.
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    First Duke3D forced me to buy old 486, and i played Duke3D without the sound. I was waiting for all these years and this Duke Nukem does not dissapoint. The graphics are really decent and much better then on xbox360. Im enjoying every minut of it. Black Ops and Crysis 2 kids will probably disagree with me but odlschool fans will appreciate DNF.
  7. Jun 14, 2011
    A definite letdown. The game feels unfinished and most of the gameplay mechanics are just horribly dated. It doesn't seem worth the wait but the main problem is that it just feels out of place now. If you're after an example of old school gaming done right then go and play something like Bulletstorm, but as it is, this game just doesn't hold it's own and as a standalone title, it's borderline rubbish. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    Cool game with a lot of detail, and I mean a lot of detail. Gameplay is old school, engine is outdated (after 12 years, what did you expect? lol) ... but the game is fun and hilarious.
  9. Jun 14, 2011
    Very funny, very fun game. Don't listen to the reviewers. They've been blinded into thinking that all FPS games should be the same, and anything different they can't understand/accept. A 10 in my book.
  10. Jun 14, 2011
    Dated graphics and long loading times :(. But the game play is fun with intense battles, plat forming, driving and some puzzle solving. And though it has a regenerating health system it is much more challenging than i.e. Halo. All in all a great game packed with some dated graphics.
  11. Jun 14, 2011
    This game was so disappointing, The original Duke Nukem was so much fun as it was original, humorous and to top it off was a great fun game to play. This thing fails on so many levels it is hard to know where to begin, The graphics are poor but that can be excused as you don't buy this game for the graphics. The game is incredibly linear, The humor dated and really just identical from the previous game 14 years ago, hell you don't even get to use any weapons till you have stumbled around in incredibly boring story line for 20-30 mins, To top it off the controls just seem clunky. Perhaps this is one sequel that really would have been better off left unmade. Expand
  12. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever delivers exactly what I was expecting for. It's a fun shooter, with it's flaws, sure, but it's still a game with its own characteristics. Don't go and compare DNF with CoD or Halo, they are almost different genres. Duke has personality, have his lines, his sense of humor. The others? Just silent protagonists. Hail to the king, baby!
  13. Jun 14, 2011
    If you're sick to death of Call of Duty clones and want something that doesn't take itself even vaguely seriously, you can't go wrong with Duke Nukem Forever. Whatever you do, don't go in expecting this game, with an infamous development story, to be the second coming or anything.
  14. Jun 14, 2011
    As a female gamer who has logged countless hours in Black ops and Left 4 Dead 2, this game is not only refreshing but absolutely hilarious. From the moment I started the game I was laughing non stop, and even on easy the challenge of the game is actually invigorating. The interactive world is so much fun, and the fact they put so much time into the sayings and the things you can do, I am so thrilled I decided to buys. Not for the easily offended or people with a weak sense of humor, but if you were either those then why did you even look at this game in the first place! Happy alien hunting! Expand
  15. Jun 14, 2011
    roughly 14 years....really sad. i expected so much more. i should have known it the demo was really what it was going to be like. too bad Duke had to go down this way.
  16. Jun 14, 2011
    Anyone who gave this game a rating of 6 or less is nothing more than a whiney douche p*ssy anal retentive troll not worthy of the fun the game brings. IT'S FUN. Is it revolutionary? No. But then I wasn't expecting that. Been playing it for a few hours now and having a blast with the Duke. Anyone complaining about graphics, your IQ is probably below 80. If you want revolutionary, go somewhere else. If you want a trip down memory lane with an old friend, you shouldn't be disappointed. Maybe if this game does half decent, they can have the means needed to produce a "better" product or whatever these idiots seem to think the game doesn't have. The demo doesn't do the game any justice, if you still aren't for sure to get it or not, wait til there is a sale on steam and pick it up. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2011
    I do not get the hate for this game. The toilet humor is pretty bad and the AI is dumb as bricks but the actual game itself has a lot of variety. There is plenty of puzzles, driving levels, boss battles, and cool levels. The design is a bit dated but if you weren't expecting that, I don't know what to say other than this game was in development for 12 years, it's going to show it's age. The beginning levels were kinda of boring but every review I have seen suck focuses on those levels and the toilet humor. Makes me wonder if they played the game from beginning to end. I saw IGN's gameplay commentary video and the guy was very early in the game already complaining about it, didn't seem like it was going to get a fair chance after seeing that. Now this game is no 10/10 but it certainly deserves better than what the reviews are saying. I'm giving a 10/10 because I know that is going to get downvoted pretty bad. Expand
  18. Jun 14, 2011
    Kick ass game worth waiting (for me). Sure, the graphics sucks, but who cares? Duke doesn't need graphics like Crysis to kick some asses. The game has everything - babes, puzzles, mini games, cars..
  19. Jun 14, 2011
    This game has been in development hell for ages, it shows. When you think about it, something that has been worked on, on and off for 13 years. You don't expect it to be a game that has been in continuous development and polishing for 13 years, I think many people get this wrong. Its been started, ended, restarted, changes graphic engine at least 3 times, been through financial hell and back and to hell again. This is a game that should have come out around 2001-2003.

Now, enough defending its production cycle and the obvious reason for why the game is as oldschool as it is. If you are able to let your mind wander back 10 years when you play it, you will understand everything about how the game plays. And then you will have fun.. that is if you like Duke Nukem and not just what you think you like because you have read somewhere that Duke was fun but you never played it because you where to young or never bothered recently because the graphics are so bad..

The game is quite good, at least that is what i think. There is a lot of variety, diving stages, turret stages, strip club, tons of mini games and hidden fun. Especially the tinyDuke levels are pretty well designed. Bosses are fun, and the guns are good too. And i didn't even experience a single bug on my playthrough. That's got to be a first right? Still not without it flaws, its a nostaligafest of the rare, and i know most people wanted a UnrealHalf-LifeHaloUnchartedSeriousSam game.. But all you get is Duke Nukem, and that is all I wanted.
  20. Jun 14, 2011
  21. Jun 14, 2011
    Let me just say that I have never played a Duke Nukem game before. That being said, I really enjoy this game so far. I don't know why everyone thinks the graphics suck, I think they're all right. Guns are solid, and Duke's one-liners are hilarious. So far, I'm at the casino, the aliens are fun to fight, shooting is solid, storyline is basic and funny, and there are nice little breaks from the shooting. I don't care that it took 14 years to make, it's a good game. The only reason I took off a point is because of the two weapon limit. Not a fan of it. Expand
  22. Jun 14, 2011
    Don't going in thinking 'it's been 12 years, I better see something amazing'. That's like going into a comedy movie and expecting to see oscar performances. Drop your expectations back down, remember, it's still just a game. Look at the lead character. he's a campy, one liner from a time of better movies, and silent protagonists. The gameplay gets switched up alot, and while no single mechanic really stands out, they are all still solid and they work well. The star of the show is what you bought this game for, and the Duke shines, he is raunchy, sexist, and above all.. it's hilarious.

If you want an award winning game, go somewhere else. But if you can drop your huge expectations, crack a few beers and have a good time.. pop this sucker in. I'm lovin it. Hail to the king, baby!
  23. Jun 14, 2011
    This will focus on multiplayer. It's fun. It reminds me a bit of Team Fortress 2 in the cartoonish, fast and fun action. Of course it's different than that, but has its similarities aside from not having different classes (but with all the varied weapons it is like different classes). Freeze rays, rocket launchers, lasers, shotgun, shrink ray, pistol, rail gun, etc. Although I haven't seen any 'speed' changers...you run as fast no matter the weapon. If you are worried about the older nature of the tech as it has to do with a controller, the 360 controller for pc works no problem. So no worries there.

You might need to sign in through the friends sign in thingy on steam if the multiplayer is greyed out, and make sure the steam community is enabled.

The running around small can be a plus, as it can allow you into places you normally can't get to. Sometimes to hide, other times for powerups. It does make them harder to shoot and they can still shoot back but it appears it's weaker for them? Freeze ray will freeze them for a time, and of course if you get killed before finishing them off, they will unfreeze and be fine. There are lifts, that will launch you, sort of like Halo (but not all the way across the map). As hinted, the levels can have multiple stories. Just like most modern shooters, your health will regenerate if you run away and hide. You can duck and jump, but no double jump or crawl. The unlock gear is unlocked pretty easily. It is whacky. For instance I now have a pumpkin with one thing, and another unlock gives me no eyes. Pretty cool, and while there are only 3-4 things you can change about duke, there are many different things any of those 3-4 things are, so there are many whacky It's a bit simplistic, but again it is fast and furious, multiple ways to get from point a to b, and is just plain fun. Level design is pretty cool, it is varied, and the levels aren't all the same color. If you want a non-military style online shooter experience, this can satisfy that need. I can't speak for single player as I'm not focusing on that in this review or score. The graphics are a bit dated, but with the cartoon feel it doesn't exactly matter. Again team fortress 2 style graphics ain't bad either, just don't expect dx11 motion blur. It installs dx9.0c so, it's just a few years standard stuff. The online multiplayer can vary quite a bit depending on how the game is setup. One match had basically shotgun, others had all the weapons. C4 type explosives with detonator, as well as trip mine type. Beer (damage dampener), Steroids (makes you bunch harder), and other stuff, like double weapon damage....someone said UT3 sort of stuff is also about right...but implemented with duke's style.

I haven't seen all the maps, nor used the jetpack, but I'm sure that would make it even more varied. Two hours played went by fast. dm, tdm, king of the hill, and capture the babe (flag) is what I've noticed. They have a button for dlc, so who knows what they add in the future.

Overall when you consider it isn't CoD, and tries to be what it is, it's satisfying and simple, yet varied. For multiplayer I give it an 8. (I rarely give 10's unless it's skyrim [assumed] good). So 8 for multiplayer is good. Some might see the lack of kill streak bonuses like getting an airstrike and such and give it lower, but if you know going in what it is, and notice the subtle differences it has with such and thought put into the level design there are some zany times to be had that differentiates it from most other shooters and provides a refreshing take from the great but similar military style multiplayer shooters. You can make up your own mind on whether or not it's worth full price, but there is little excuse to not pick it up when you see it on discount going forward. At $45 on steam pre-order I'm satisfied with the purchase. It should be compared more against the Team Fortress 2 types, then CoD/Battlefield/Resistance/Killzone/Halo types. There was room in the genre for one of these, and it fits that niche nicely. I wasn't one who waited for it, so i'm not a fanboi of this game. I might of played the original back in the day in high school, but don't really remember it. So I didn't come in with any past expectations nor loyalty to the brand. If you can get past that it doesn't use dx11(or 10) style graphics, and put it in its proper place, and don't judge it off one server's variation of the game, it's a fun game. Enjoy. Remember 13 years in development is a skewed number, they redid the game a couple of times, and bought it off the scrap heap a ~couple of years ago.
  24. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a defined good FPS game that has been in the makings of 14 years. By the release date, I decided to grab the PC version as the game had a good quality. The multiplayer action that I've experience is good, but I had disconnecting issues probably because the game was released on North America launch date. The single player is good as the story follows the game through. You get to face many enemies in the game and there is a lot of interaction. One downside to this game is that you could only hold "Two weapons" which you would decide on which weapon you would like to keep. Jon St. John's voice acting is back and Duke is back then ever. I rate this game a 9/10 mainly because of the well defined action FPS gameplay... Expand
  25. Jun 14, 2011
    The game feels a bit unfinished, and the two weapon limit as well as regenerating health both bother me. However, keeping that in mind this...game is still far better than games the major "professional critics" have given game of the year to for the last three to four years. The humor is outstanding in it's B movie style charm, with over the top machismo straight out of an 80s action film. Some games can't laugh at themselves, but Duke isn't one of them. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2011
    Despite the two-weapon system, the lack of jet pack in single-player campaign, and rather linear level designs, I had a good time with this game. I guess it helped that I had rather low (realistic?) expectations on what to expect from this. If it had the old weapon system from Duke Nukem 3D, I would rate this game a 9.
  27. Jun 14, 2011
    It's funny that I read all the critic reviews bemoaning that the game does not blow them away on all fronts, and how dare Duke not have really evolved as a character since DN3D. 'It's horrible it's terrible it's painful to play!' they all scream.

And then, buried somewhere in the mass of verbiage, there's the line 'But it's fun.' I think that single line sums up this game. It's not
    MEANT to be a Halo Gears of War: Call of Battleground Honor. Yes, the mouse aiming is terribad on occasion. I'm betting on a patch soon on that. And really that's my only complaint about it.

It's a fun game. Period. Do I dislike the bits of all the other modern cover based shooters that snuck into it? Sure. But, am I going to whine about it and deny that I enjoyed the game thoroughly? Hell no.
  28. Jun 14, 2011
    give this game a chance..yes, its not revolutionary, yes, its not up to par with todays standards..if ur a pc gamer from the 90's u will give this game the chance it deserves and ou will play as if you were playing it in the 90's, cause thats where it belongs...thats how it feels...dont go expecting groundbreaking stuff, expect it as it is...a duke nukem game..full of charm, nonsense, nasty awesome stuff... Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2011
    One of the worse games ever made on any platform. It has so many issues/problems & is certainly not even close to being a full price game or acceptable 2011 game. 1: Game is not even finished its an alpha version at best. 2: Gfx are very dated/bland/boring/horrible looking. Textures are missing/incomplete or just blank colours. 3: Gameplay is linear/boring/uninteresting. 4: Art design is very very lacking.
    5: Humour & game content are in places quite offensive this is not a game for children/teens as it contains sexist & pornographic humour I do not feel belongs in a computer game at all.

This game feels to me like a highly cynical cash grab to recover some of the lengthy development budget wasted (boy was it wasted here!). After so long you would reasonably expect something which at least matches Duke Nukem 3D/Manhattan Project well this manages to be vastly inferior to both of them & you have to wonder why this is considered to be a full price game when it would have looked & played poorly 10 years ago!

Gamer beware this truly is one of the worse games ever made & without the Duke Nukem name would be a budget price at launch & is quite rightly getting a lot of negative reviews.
  30. Jun 14, 2011
    Graphics bad? maybe. Graphics fun? Yes! Gameplay mechanics bad? Nope! Gameplay mechanics fun? YES! i really love todays games like The Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes to name a few, but when I play (and just to play 14 years ago) Duke Nukem I expect plain funny fun! Well, Duke Nukem Forever delivers that with only a small compromise, the graphics... well I don't care! The 10 is for the fun to be had with DNF, if you are able to enjoy life, eghegheheheeee! Expand
  31. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem is great fun! thats what its all about. Who gives a flying f*ck that the graphics are UT engine, they still look very good!!! People who rate it low are just whining pathetic most likely COD players!. Duke Nukem is everything I exptected Dukes Ego, funny comments, crudeness and interaction. Its a great game to play its not serious and hilarious in most parts. People forget what Duke is about! Expand
  32. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Hail to the King!"
    Lange, wirklich lange mussten die Duke Fans warten! Bis auf ein paar kleine nicht so schöne sachen (aussenlevels, nicht ganz so schlaue Gegner), Geb ich dem Duke trotzdem volle Punkte: Weil er einfach der King ist und seid langen mal wieder ein Char ist, der nicht nur stumpsinnig rumlatscht...er rockt einfach - weil er so ist wie er ist!!!

"Let`s Rock!"
  33. Jun 14, 2011
    There are a few things you gotta keep in mind when you are playing this game. Duke Nukem...Duke Nukem...and Duke Nukem. Many of the reviews I have read simply don't seem to understand Duke Nukem or the intentions of this game. This game was everything it was supposed to be. Do not expect candy and flowers. Expect Duke Nukem to be Duke Nukem with bad jokes, harsh language, and plenty of explosions. This game follows along the same lines of game play as 3D did. It is pretty linear, another outrageous storyline, plenty of fun gunfights and bossfights that are classic Duke. However, that being said. This is not 3D. This is not the groundbreaking game 3D was. Has its flaws like all new games but that doesn't make it the awful crap most people here are trying to make it seem. If you can take maturity and classic politically incorrect humor than you will like this game. So in summary, if you do not have "Balls Of Steel", you will not like this game as it was not created for an audience like you. Expand
  34. Jun 14, 2011
    9 Although not perfect on level design and technology, Duke Nukem forever is a fun experience where you can laugh out loud behind your pc screen.

Interactivity, humor and obscene over the top action is something you don't see that often anymore in games, destroy concrete around pillars, check, solve puzzles, check, shoot limbs of enemies, check, have cool body awareness, check, have
    animations for nearly every action, check, these are things you don't see in any fps all together...

Duke Nukem forever is a great game with its flaws, but it shows gamers the cool no-nonsense, not to serious gameplay of the time when gaming was fun! not serious military **** as every game of today.
  35. Jun 14, 2011
    This game isn't as groundbreaking as DN3D. But it has everything it needs to make a Duke Nukem game. The beer, the **** the bad mouth humor, and some blood. Anybody who says this game is bad is whining because it doesn't look like your fabled CoD series. Well news to these **** WE DON'T WANT GAMES TO LOOK LIKE COD. CoD is just fast paced, no logic, brain stimulation. Duke Nukem requires you to think a little, unlike CoD where the object of the game is to kill everything that isn't marked green. Games like DNF are games that will go down in history as a badly reviewed game, but a fan loved game. I recommend this game to TRUE GAMERS. Any regular CoD players should let this one by, you will find this game far too hard for your brain capacity. Expand
  36. Jun 22, 2011
    I believe this game is receiving a lot more hate than it deserves. It is far from a perfect game, but most games are far from perfect. Overall, I enjoyed the time I played this game.

My personal complaints against the game are that it tries too hard to have the both of both old first person shooter play and modern play. I wanted to carry multiple guns, I wanted to actually have to
    worry about health, and I wanted levels that I could run around in circles doing things on. Instead, its the standard 2 weapons, regenerating health, and rather linear levels. Just like most of the shooters I have played in the last couple of years. Those are just my main complaints.

There are multiple types of enemies, and while you will find the standard grunts and the pigcops to be the most numerous, there is more variety here than most modern shooters. Of course, having aliens to fight as opposed to humans helps with that aspect.

The weapons are quite varied, and while most were taken from Duke Nukem 3D, the AT Laser, AT Captains Laser, Railgun, Enforcer Gun are all new, and the Freeze Gun has been modified quite a bit. Every gun is unique, there aren't any that are essentially interchangeable.

While the levels are very linear, for the most part they are fairly unique and fun. Sadly, even the big levels are broken up into smaller parts. I would have like more secrets and Easter eggs . It was nice to hear the "one dead space marine" line though. I feel they put in a decent amount of interactivity in most of the levels, it just starts to feel a little sparse towards the end. Its nice that they put in Frisbee's and paper airplanes to throw around. Three of the more interactive objects feel a bit off, but they aren't impossible.

The graphics aren't bad. They aren't spectacular, and the humans seem to be animated fairly stiffly. But that isn't a big deal because most of the humans don't last too long anyway. I don't think anyone should be ashamed of these graphics, but it shows that the game is a little older than its release date would indicate.

As to people who are offended by this game, or don't find it funny? It isn't too offensive as far as I can see, but people are allowed their own opinions. I was laughing quite a bit during this game. Maybe I just have a sicker sense of humor, but most of the jokes and one liners were funny to me.

Is Duke Nukem Forever an amazing game we have waited over a decade for? No, its not. Neither is it the bad game many of the professional reviewers make it out to be. It may not be worth a buy, but its certainly worth a rent. I myself, am glad that I bought it. I was thoroughly entertained.
  37. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a nice change of pace from the current FPS heavyweights. It has a similar kind of charm as a throwback action movie. A mix of campy humour, sex, and a ton of violence. Alot of effort was made to bring back the old Duke feel and I think the development team(s) did a good job. Probably one of DNF's biggest strengths. Level design was interesting at times and dull at others, about what you'd expect from all but the very best FPS's. Gameplay is comprised of not just killing hoards of aliens but also puzzles, vehicles, and mini games (reminds me of Deus Ex). The graphics are on par with Halo 3, polished but dated by todays standards. All in all I had fun kicking @$$ with the Duke after all these years. Expand
  38. Jun 14, 2011
    Ask yourself, what were your expectations of this game? For years this was expected to bring about a revolution in gaming. But what did â
  39. Jun 14, 2011
    Hell as frozen over, pigs have flown and Duke Nukem Forever is finally here and whilst it could never have lived up to its hype it has broken the boundaries of what can be put into a game. The game is basically an old school shooter with modern graphics and references. If you want a game that's realistic or a new modern day shooter then you'll want to pass this. If you want a fun, action packed and adrenaline thrilled campaign with great set-piece moments, humours dialog and that Duke Nukem attitude then settle back for one great steroid and beer fueled ride. Defiantly not a game for "Cod Kids" Expand
  40. Jun 14, 2011
    Fun Game, Great Game play, Challenging at times, like most good games should be. Al you people hating and just feeding into hate hype. This is a great game. This is a true sequel to the original. Only bad thing is that the game need more multi-player and some mod tools. Port to xbox and ps3 I hear is a bad port example. Bad load times, Bad graphics... the pc version had comparable graphics to the newest games and 30 second load times. overall I find this a fun game to play, I'm going through my second run right now. Expand
  41. Jun 15, 2011
    Many people take this game out of perspective. It is not meant to be a groundbreaking AAA title, but rather mostly just fan-service. DN3D was a very well-known game back in the 90's for it's over-the-top violence, sophomoric humor, excessive nudity, and constant one-liners from the Duke himself and Duke Nukem Forever only tries to be the same. But that is also one of its downfalls.

This
    game doesn't strive to be more. It tries to be very much like its predecessor but while doing so, takes away from the game's creativity. Consumers these days are starving for something new and intuitive in a world of constant, mono-tone FPS's. It looked promising enough with the bringing back of the childish humor (although some people don't like that type of humor) and 90's-type gameplay, and its super interactivity, but it's ultimate downfall was trying to catch up to modern times by excluding some key assets that made DN3D so fun. For example, you can only carry 2 weapons at a time; something that most fans gawk at. Then they make the "Mighty Foot" execution-only. It's the little things like that that put not only newcomers off, but fans as well and for a Duke Nukem game, that's not something you want to do.

The gameplay is good for a little burst of fun here and there, but it ultimately suffers from trying to combine 90's style with the modern era. It isn't horrible, but the mechanics just aren't solidified. Some of the bosses, however, are actually pretty fun.

The graphics, while they may not be up to par with many of today's top titles, aren't too bad although they could have at least had a bigger color palette. Everything does seem relatively low-poly and the character models are nothing to brag about. Overall, the graphics are acceptable, but not very likeable.

The very hyped up "interactivity" that they promised turned out to be less than they made it out to be. Sure you can microwave a rat, play some pinball, or even knock a punching bag, but most of that stuff is very obvious. There are no real "secret" things that you can do (as far as I've seen). Most of the time, there will be something in the room that you look at and think "I can probably play with this" but nothing is really shocking. Not to mention that they spoiled all of the "surprising" interactive things (like the turd) in order for more marketing. I've seen games with way more interactivity than this game. They just told us empty promises.

The levels are very linear with TONS of Half-Life rip-off "physics" puzzles that seem more like scripted events rather than real physics.

Sound design is OK. Not too much variety and they all seem very monotonous. Duke's grunt from every jump is very unnecessary.

Overall, fans of Duke might enjoy this game for the nostalgia factor, but that's really all this game is is fan service. It's almost like Gearbox just got the rights for it, and then said, "Alright, this game has been in development hell for years so let's just get this done and get it out there. Fans will love it regardless." The game suffers from trying to catch up with modern times while still trying to be the same. The graphics are OK, the gameplay is fun at times, the puzzles are a joke, and the famed "interactivity" is nothing really to be excited about. The game is alright. It isn't a horrible game. Just don't expect it to win any awards any time soon.
  42. Jun 21, 2011
    Been on the 3dR forums since '97, have the magazine in which DNF was revealed, still say that Duke3d is the greatest FPS ever made... but DNF is total crud. Seriously, the only reason to play it is just to see for yourself the abomination that it is. This is a nearly heart-breaking Duke Nukem catastrophe, I wish I could go back in time 14 years and tell myself to not wait for DNF and not waste attention on it because it's going to blow to the fullest possible extent. The only problem with that, though, is that I'd never believe my future self, as I had so much confidence in 3dR... and how could I not? Considering they made Duke3d, as well as releasing dozens of fantastic smaller games prior? How the mighty have fallen, and how greatly sad it is

Be warned, there is absolutely nothing old school about this game, not in the least, and especially nothing resembling Doom or Duke3d style shooting. This game is the exact opposite of Old School. DNF is slow moving, with slow movement speed, limited sprint ability, few enemies with combat that is spaced far apart, 2-weapon carry-limit with universal ammo crates, regenerating health, quicktime events, and wtih completely linear & boring level design.

Anybody who dares try to trick you into buying this game by suggesting it is old school in even the slightest manner is lying to you through their teeth or simply has convinced themselves of a lie to rationalize the 14 years they've wasted waiting for this game. DNF is no more old-school than it is a space-pony training RPG that takes place on Mt Olympus.
  43. Jun 14, 2011
    Had to give this a 10 to offset the typical rage 0's thrown down by emo kids and crybabies. Sadly this game can't really get much respect in the current age we live in. Too many people overly sensitive and too easily offended. Cry me a river folks. This game will be fun for any old school type guy or fan of the series in general. It is by no means perfect and my true score would be closer to 7.5 - 8 . Regardless, this game is loads of goofy fun and it will bring back memories. Enjoy the game for what it is folks. If you are overly feminist, easily offended, or too sensitive, dont waste your time on this. This game is not for emo cry babies. I could continue to ramble but. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum." Expand
  44. Jun 14, 2011
    The game is simply fun. Not great, not bad, just fun. I'm personally dumbfounded by the terrible reviews it has been receiving as the game as a lot of variety, cool weapons, likable enemies and allies and Duke Nukem humor to top it off. If you don't take this game too seriously it can be a lot of fun.
  45. Fuz
    Jun 15, 2011
    Terrible.
    This is not Duke Nukem, it's a childish parody of it.
    The graphics are terrible, frequent and extremely slow loading times are unacceptable (especially with this graphics), the 2-weapon system is annoying, the maps are just small corridors, the FOV is an abomination, gunfights are boring, driving sections are annoying.
    The original Duke Nukem was a great game, and doesn't deserve
    a sequel so bad. Expand
  46. Jun 16, 2011
    This game was certainly mediocre. You can disregard the reviews that say this game is horrible - it is not. You can also disregard the reviews that say this game is perfect in every way - it definitely is not. There are mildly amusing parts, some good shooting action.....and some puzzles that were ok (most were just tedious). In short, a simply OK game.
  47. Jun 14, 2011
    I've been a Duke fan ever since the first game on DOS, so I was eagerly awaiting DNF. Finally it's here...but is it worth it? Yes, yes it is. It feels like a modernized Duke3D in terms of humor and interactivity, but I believe 3D Realms made some poor decisions towards the end of development: you can only hold two weapons at once, you have regenerating health instead of picking up medkits, and the levels are linear without many secrets. Other than that the game is awesome. The multiplayer is fun as well, and there's an entire set of Duke one-liners that can only be heard while playing online. As you level up you unlock customization options (hats, t-shirts, glasses, etc.) There is also a feature called "My Digs" which is basically a giant apartment where you can unlock features seen in the single player, such as gym equipment, a pool table, air hockey, pinball, and various pieces of Duke memorabilia. You can then go around the apartment interacting with all that stuff. As a Duke fan I give the game an 8.5, but the game might be less appealing to players who have no prior history with the character. Expand
  48. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a collection of minigames with short passages of regular FPS gaming. Even getting the game started takes 45 painfilled minutes while Duke admires himself, posters and signs autographs.

It's a bad game, don't buy it.
  49. Jun 15, 2011
    I really get sick of so called "reviewers" ripping on games when they have no real basis of comparison, no concept of what a game is supposed to be, or just want to put down a game because they did like it. The very idea of a review is to remain objective and know what you are talking about. That little rant aside. This is my mini-review of Duke Nukem Forever.

First off, this is NOT meant
    to be "old-school" Duke Nukem. It's a squeal, a continuation of the series, more than just a "reboot". I was there in line waiting on my copy of Duke Nukem 3D when it hit the shelves. I still own that original copy I purchased back then. I own and have played every incarnation of Duke Nukem ever released on every platform it was ever released on. Duke Nukem Forever is not any of it. It is its own game, and this is a very good thing. It is what I was personally hoping it would be. I mean come on, this is 2011, I don't want that 90's gaming experience, as much as I may have loved it back then. I wanted a more modern game and that's what I get with DNF.

Story and content wise, it's Duke Nukem to the core, no doubt. This game really pushes that "Rated M" to the limit. It is the same story with the same "adult" content I remember from the Duke. The game has not been reduced, edited for content, or otherwise censored. Thank god for that. The gameplay is nice as well. Very easy to control and there is a lot of stuff in the world to interact with. I have played through the game a full two times now and not one time did I have any issues related to actually playing the game. You get some of the "little Duke" action as you run around while all shrunk down trying to complete a task. You get to battle the classic monsters as well as some new ones and bosses. The classic weapon set is there with a few fun ones thrown in as well. Blow off limbs and "interact" with objects in the game to unlock a fun list of 50 Steam achievements. Don't forget about the ladies, they are the reason you are in the battle, remember? Not to mention the "Mighty Foot". From a technology standpoint, the game is nothing special. If I am not mistaken the game runs on a highly modified Unreal Engine 2.5, and they did a great job of utilizing the engine to the best of it's abilities. It's not ground breaking by any means, but it's not supposed to be. This game has been in development for so long and across so many different engines that I am surprised it came out as good as it did. It's not going to push the limits of any half was decent gaming PC that's for sure. One noteworthy fact about DNF, it is NOT a console port. The single player campaign was created for PC from the ground up and it was then later ported TO console after it was completed. The reverse of what we often see these days. The graphics are great. Nothing Earth shattering like I said above, but you can tell they pushed the limit of the engine and used it very well. If you want ground breaking graphics, you just have to wait for BF3 like the rest of us. For Duke Nukem, these graphics serve him, and the game, quite well across all platforms. The sounds in the game are also well done. The topper being the fact that Jon St.John reprises his role as the voice of Duke Nukem. Not only do you get many of the classic phrases we have loved for so many years, but literally dozens more that just make the overall game experience so much more enjoyable.

Overall I give the game high marks. I got what I expected out of Duke Nukem Forever, a fun and entertaining adult game that does justice to the name without taking me back to the 90's, except for the fact I had just as much fun playing DNF as I did Duke Nukem 3D. I did not place the game on such a high pedestal that makes it nearly impossible to meet, something far too many people do these days. It is reminiscent of what used to be fun about playing Duke Nukem 3D, but for a modern time, I think they did a great job bringing Duke back and I look forward to seeing where he goes next.
  50. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1.advantage: it's Duke Nukem Hero! DefectS: everything else. horrible graphics, dull gameplay, unfunny humor, absolutely not interesting multiplayer, missing physics, awkward controls Expand
  51. Oct 27, 2011
    Revised review. Even the fact that it's Duke can't save this game. This piece of history has been rendered worthless. But still, it's a piece of history. That's worth one point.
  52. MB_
    Jun 14, 2011
    Chronically bad. No guns for the first hour or two of game play, just endless unskippable exposition and annoying characters. The graphics and humor constantly remind me of Postal 2, I guess as it uses the same tired old game engine.

As a Serious Sam, run and gun fan I am sorely disappointed. What on earth were they thinking. I can honestly say I didn't get far in the game, after the ten
    occurrence of 'tap space to continue' I closed it, deleted it and told all my friends where to stick it.

So many smarter, prettier and frankly more fun games out there. Why bother releasing this tripe at all. Let sleeping dogs, no let dead dogs lie.
  53. Jun 14, 2011
    This game is far from perfect in many respects, but I think that any reviewer that would give it a 5/10 or lower is either greatly lacking perspective or expecting a masterpiece that they were never going to get in the first place. This game was not made in 15 years, it was finished shortly after Gearbox was put on the case, which was only around 20010 or so, meaning that you really could not anticipate it to be perfect, and you should give them credit for making a fine game in the time allotted. Also, you cannot deny that it does return to its old school roots in many classic ways, especially in the interactivity and humor. Others I know were expecting a game not unlike Call of Duty, which was a foreboding sign not only for this game prior to release, but also remains a scary thought for the gaming industry as a whole.

This game makes up in a department that I often find myself missing these days, Charm. The game world is vibrant in its environments and ridiculously interactive. Yes, there is some gross humor out there, and yes, sometimes the odd design does lead you into the next area too soon, leading to your exploration being cut short and missing an opportunity to improve your Ego bar. But I was absorbed by the world this game had created around me, the interactivity and different (often exaggerated) characters charmed me in a way that was slightly reminiscent of one of my favorite games of all time, Earthbound.

Is this game one of my favorite of all time? Oh no, never. But is it worth a play just as much as any other shooter Activision/Microsoft is crapping out these days? Oh yes.
  54. Jun 14, 2011
    Dude this game is $#@&%#@ EPIC! A must buy. Non stop comedy. The Game is designed to feel like the Original Titles. There isn't any fancy new game-play style. Just good old Duke. So you haters gonna hate.
  55. Jun 14, 2011
    WOW...so disappointed in this game. Bad graphics, vulgar one liners trying to be funny but fall way short and linear game play. Wait for the bargain bin if you must have this for nostalgic reasons!
  56. Jun 14, 2011
    To be fair, this turned out to be as expected, an enjoyable homage to DN3D, It nods its head to oldschool, even if it has its foibles (2 weapon loadouts grr). I for one grew up at the right time and had the opportunity to play wolfenstien 3d, doom (and all its incarnations) quake etc. etc. (and ofc. DN3D) on thier respective first releases. I for one have missed the borderline humour, gibbing and no story line, "kill everything that moves" types of games. DNF is fun and most negative reviews seem to come from the console kids of today the have no respect for thier elders, if it wasn't for 3d Realms, ID software and the like, you wouldnt have Call of battlefield - Medal Mass Halo Dragon war 3. Expand
  57. Jun 14, 2011
    Epic game, reminds me what FPS games are all about. Bug free 10-12 hour campaign. Great humour and dialog. Fantastic interactive mini-games. And solid multiplayer. Dont listen to all these guys trying to hate on it due to dated gameplay (its called retro, i.e. it feels more like half-life 2 than black ops) or that its 'offensive' (dont like the humour dont play it, not hard huh?)

Most of them are just trolling so they gain alot of hits on review sites, since being controversial gets more hits these days.

Must buy! - From a very patient avid PC gamer.
  58. Jun 15, 2011
    I wanted this game to be good, like struggling through the desert, dying from dehydration. And then this idiot comes and offers me a beer.
    Starting with the gameplay, I keep getting the sense that the game is trying to evoke the feel of REALLY old school games, I think we may be beyond retro with this. The only problem is I recall retro games having more than just two enemies at a time,
    various types of enemies, all gunning for me, with health pickups and plenty o' guns. Instead, no, the most baddies I've seen at once are three, there's hardly ever a difference, you have regenerative health if you go and hide like a wuss behind a wall, and Duke is so manly he can now only heft two weapons-wait what?
    Graphics? Passable, I guess, I'm not one to pay too much attention, but at the same time I kept noticing how bland and midgrade they were.
    The humor? We've heard these jokes before... YEARS before, and these are the type of jokes that never age well. Here's one: You have to go with this rookie soldier named Jenkins, yes you can tell where this is going. Within the minute he gets turned into paste, and Duke declares, "Dammit Leroy." You can practically hear the character on the stand-up stage waving desperately for a guy on drums to do a roll on snare.
    Which comes from the voice acting itself. Every single character sounds as much an idiot as the folks who thought up their lines. Sure a couple of the soldiers early in the game bounced insults off each other pretty well, but you never get that experience again. Apparently all the females understood just how much they were doing their gender a disservice and aimed to make every character they voiced as annoying or unsexy as possible, and I'm sorry, hearing the balls in a woman's voice is unwanted.
    Thankfully, Duke's original voice actor reprises the role. Unfortunately, he's aged more than the character, what once were nicely paced quips and well delivered lines, now plod along at a slower pace, leaving a much more dimwitted mind behind, leaving every spoken line just hanging out there like an older person wearing less clothing.
    In the end, I found myself asking, "Why am I playing this? There's far more fun games all around me."
    It's nice that Gearbox wanted to credit every person who worked on this game within the last decade or so, that way we have a nice shopping list of people to blame for this letdown and, what could be called, cashgrab. You might argue against that, but pray tell, could there have been plenty of people that noticed their game was utter garbage before it left to shelves?
  59. Jun 15, 2011
    This is a Duke Nuke 'Em game. Anyone looking for bleeding edge graphics and intricate storylines will be sorely disappointed. But! If you are looking for kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out, one liners galore, machoism, steroid abusing, beer drinking, womanizing good time, the DNF is you. It's 14 years since the last game, and they acknowledge that. In fact, there are in jokes galore to the state of the gaming industry and how it's changed since the last Duke game. It's fun. Simply put. Unique in game puzzles, but, nothing that's never been done before, different weapon choices, but, nothing that's not been done before... in fact, most everything in DNF has been done before because it really set the standard for FPS games. It makes fun of them, and itself, and is really just a fun game. And that's why we play these, to be entertained. You'll be laughing at epic things that you pull off in game, and at the dialogue and events happening in the game. This is low brow humor, folks. Don't fool yourself. This game comes from a different era of gaming, and it's busting in on all the new serious games that are all about recreating real life intricately, but missing those simple elements that make DNF great: Making fun of itself. Mind you, I'll still be playing BF3 when it comes out, but for what this game is, it's exactly as it should be. Expand
  60. Jun 14, 2011
    I'll start by saying that if you like south park, you will really enjoy the warped humor in this game. If you are happy with Call of Duty style liner FPS shooters, then you will be fine with the gameplay. If you don't think graphics are the be all and end all of what a game should be, then you will be fine with this (and they are not THAT bad, really).

I can say that I really enjoyed
    this game, and I think if you can agree with the above points, you will too. Expand
  61. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a heavily underrated game, probably because of biased reviews that judge the game for the most part on it's long production time. Instead of looking at the trouble this game has seen over the years, and realising it's a miracle this game eventually DID come out even though everyone lost hope, they expected a game that surpasses all the current games by 10 years. That's not realistic now, is it? When we look at Duke Nukem Forever, there's really only one thing that you can complain about which is the graphics. They are pretty dated, and to modern gamers that's a disaster. Personally, I don't care about graphics. For me gameplay comes before anything. And when it comes to gameplay, this game got everything that makes it a Duke game. You got all the things you did back in Duke Nukem 3D back in this game, as well as some extras. Playing pool, paying a visit to the toilet or even testing if your outlet still got electricity on, it's all back in this game. You can also play on someone else's computer and watch pictures of women, play air hockey with another person (NPC), play Pinball, Basketball, take drinks and snacks from a vending machine, etc. In short: It's got all the fun factors that we know Duke from in this game. Of course there's also the usual Duke one-liners, with some of them being extremely funny, as well as the usual steroid pills and Holodukes. Not to mention, Duke has beer now as well!

The story is a little bit on the short side... and so it leaves us Duke fans craving for more, which we hopefully will get. To Summarize: Do NOT let game magazine reviews have too much influence on your choice whether or not to get this game. The game is really not as bad as they claim it to be. If you liked Duke Nukem 3D, you will more than likely enjoy this game.
  62. Jun 14, 2011
    Don't believe the rubbish about this game being poor. It's enjoyable, funny, and action packed. And isn't that the best we can hope for in a shooter?
  63. Jun 15, 2011
    Great Game. Not sure why so many folks are bashing it. I haven't seen any slow load times, graphics look fine so far. But it isn't a CoD clone so guess that's why people are upset.
  64. Jun 15, 2011
    I've got to admit first that I followed this game for it's entire 14 years of development. However I'd like to point out that I'm also aware that this Build of the game didn't take 14 years to make, it took 5. Remember that DNF was scrapped several times until it's final attempt to make it.

That said, I went on to play the game for the first time with really high expectations, the highest
    possible. And yes, the game didn't meet them, of course. Nothing can meet such hype and expectation built for over a decade.

Still the game managed to keep me entertained throughout it's entirety and even had me rolling on the floor laughing. The game IS fun. You only need to know that this isn't supposed to be the second coming of Christ. It's a funny enjoyable game.

It has it's flaws, yes. Like the linearity, sometimes empty rooms, and so on. Still, for me, the good out weighed the bad. I'm one of the lucky people that had fun with the game and didn't finish it in disappointment. I'd like to say thank you to everyone that made this game possible. I sure had a blast playing it and I know I'll keep on trying to find more secrets and references. Get the game! Don't let the bad reviews discourage you. It's cool to talk trash about Duke Forever on every review, but you don't have to be like that. You have a mind of your own. Try the game, and then make up your own opinion about it. HAVE FUN!
  65. Jun 17, 2011
    I can understand the criticism but I've always been a Duke fan and this game has this nostalgic feeling to it so I love it. If this was some random game out of Russia and didn't have Duke in it, I'd probably say it sucks too. If you are not a fan of Duke or if you were born in the Call of Duty/Halo generation, you probably won't want to pay full price for it.
  66. Jun 14, 2011
    After 13 years of development this should've been one of the best games ever. instead, what we got is a really mediocre shooter. the first problem of this game is that the gameplay doesn't really feel like duke nukem anymore. i mean, remember how many weapons you could carry in duke3d? in this one you can only carry 2 weapons, some pipebombs, some steroids and a beer. the beer sucks too, if you drink it you'll take less damage but you'll be drunk for the next 30 seconds and almost unable to see enemies. who thought this was a good idea???? another thing that pisses me off are... those puzzle levels like the duke burger. i mean, there's nothing wrong with something that challenges your mind, but was it so necessary to put this levels in a game called DUKE NUKEM???? duke nukem is all about killing enemies, jokes and maybe finding some keys to open doors, not wasting half an hour wondering where the **** you're supposed to go!
    second problem: pathetic graphics and physics. about the graphics i don't even know where to start, they're just dated, and the post processing is excessive. about the physics... i don't know what to say, they feel like they come from a game from the 90's.
    third problem: stupid errors and confusion. here's an example. [spoiler] there's a level where you have to find a **** there's a door locked with a combination of 4 numbers. you can find the combination by watching a security camera. the combination that you find is 4168. if you type that, it doesn't work. after some time, i discovered that the correct combination was 4768, but on that camera it was 4168. this is just pathetic. if the guy who made that drawing wasn't able to draw a 7, he should've changed the combination to something else, something that would generate less confusion. [/spoiler] fourth problem: vehicles and mini games! the controls are ATROCIOUS! they're a crime against humanity!
    fifth and last problem: difficulty. i have nothing against hard games. duke3d was pretty hard too, but it was 1996! in 2011, people doesn't play hard games anymore! they give up after some tries.

the only redeeming factor for this game is that it's duke nukem, the jokes still make you lol. they're a bit dated, but they're still funny.
  67. Jun 14, 2011
    Surprisingly game turned out to be pretty good. I really enjoyed my time with DNF singleplayer. Yes, game is not perfect, yes graphics are outdated (NOT bad but outdated), yes it has lots of flaws and unpolished moments, yes just 2 weapons at the time sucks, but the sum of this is a good singleplayer game and worthy Duke Nukem successor. (My score is 8/10, although i rated it 10/10 to counter this low score reviews **** going on about game right now). Expand
  68. Jun 18, 2011
    I am dumbfounded who can say this game sucks. Maybe your system sucks but it runs flawless on my GTX275 core i7 Its old school and not complicated as it should be. i deff smell cod fanboys at large. This game is fun.. period. i just fin ished the first run and think it was worth every penny. Its a good time . if you played Duke from the original this is something you will enjoy. run and gun with hilarity through out. Expand
  69. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever, while not the epitome of perfection, is certainly one hell of ride. Don't listen to the reviewers, give this game a try yourself to be totally honest. Most of these critics play this game on console, which is really a slab dab port off the PC version. I'd recommend only the PC version as I've tried both the 360 and PC versions of the game and found the combat not only more fun on PC, but also flowing more fluid. Plus the console versions really have some very fugly graphics (if you're a graphics whore), long loading times, and a bunch of other port-caused issues. The puzzles are fun, though the pacing of them being thrown feels a little off. The voice acting is pretty laughable, but I think that was intentional. Did you really expect Emmy nominated performances from a game like this? The world is interactive as ever, maybe even more than DN3D.

The multiplayer consists of classic multiplayer modes with a Duke twist. While not exactly ground breaking at all, the multiplayer feels like an ode to the old classic multiplayer style of the 90s, where knowing where the devastator or jetpack spawns makes you the king of the match. Its unforgiving, brutal, and unfair. Feels just like the 90s all over again. Can't you just smell it?
  70. Aug 24, 2011
    Despite some a couple good parts, the poorly-designed (and woefully linear) levels, uninspired weapons, shoddy AI, and just general sloppiness of the game keep it from being anything more than a curiosity. It's not as abysmally bad as some of the reviewers have made it out to be, but it's still a rental a best. Oh, and don't listen to anyone who says this is a throwback to the 90's -- this game makes use of every modern FPS contrivance, and does so poorly. Collapse
  71. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke is back! Do I need to say more? I was hoping that they kept things similar to the old game without going too much overboard or, even worse, getting pulled into the CoD wagon. And, they pulled it off. The single player campaign has some great moments and it is filled with Duke's humor. Most recently released FPS can really learn something from this one. A good,humorous story littered with puzzles and many details to discover make this a fun experience nobody should miss. Enough said. Time to get some bubble gum... Expand
  72. Dec 15, 2011
    People who rate this game like 3/10 and below, are not to be taken seriously. Even if you didnt really dig it, you cant, YOU JUST CANT, give a negative rating to a game with no bugs, long campaign, decent graphics, plenty of weapons, varied gameplay and alot of humor. And Duke Nukem Forever is all that.â
  73. Jun 14, 2011
    Old school style perfect for somebody that gets bored with mindless cod that is hacked up. I can make first every time in a game like cod but getting my ass kicked a little on some parts makes duke worth it. Plus the humor, works for me in a PC skinny jean world, I will take this any day. The graphics aren't amazing but they work for the game.
  74. Jun 14, 2011
    Overall Duke Nukem Forever provides a solid old-school FPS experience. It wont win any awards in terms of ground-breaking gameplay (that isn't to say it doesn't have it's moments) and yes, the graphics engine looks dated when compared to more recent titles. However... once depth of field and motion blur are disabled the engine looks much sharper and definitely does not deserve the amount of criticism it has received from fans and "professional" reviewers.

If you love Duke Nukem 3D and, like myself, are looking for an entertaining sequel, then you'll definitely enjoy Duke Nukem Forever. Sure it has its problems and yes, it's not really worth the 14 year wait... but lets be honest here, any reasonable person would adjust their expectations accordingly and just be happy that we finally have a chance to play it.

With an unwaveringly loyal fan base and the correct tools, Duke Nukem Forever has enormous potential.

Always bet on Duke :o)
  75. Jun 14, 2011
    This is a really good game. Sure it's graphics aren't state of the art. Graphics never make a game. The gameplay, however is fantastic. The weapons felt nice and powerful. The monsters put up a fight. And the levels looked neat and the interactivity was crazy. How many games out there allow you to pick up a rat and put it in a microwave? Only this one. All of Duke's humor many of you remember from Duke 3D is still there and in droves. There are many, many new Duke lines, plenty of babes and lots of asses to kick. The game is riddled with puzzles that are a nice break from the gunplay. There are tons of easter eggs hidden all over the place. Overall this game is one ass kicking good time. Don't listen to the so called "professional" reviewers at big time gaming site and magazines. Some of them had it out for Duke since day 1. The game isn't perfect however. No game is. The loading times for consoles are somewhat long and very annoying when you die a bunch of times. There are some blurry low resolution textures in some areas. Occasionaly you might fly back after bumping into a wall. Thankfully none of these issues are gamebreaking. If you are tired of boring serious military shooters like Call of Duty, then Duke is the way to go. Expand
  76. Jun 14, 2011
    This game is a blast despite its shortcomings of a two weapon limit, autoregen health, and linear level design. It genuinely feels like I'm playing a DUKE NUKEM game again.
  77. Jun 14, 2011
    Rock solid shooter that made me LAUGH on so many occasions!! What other shooter game delivers that? The Duke is back, the goofiness, craziness we loved is still there and augmented to a whole new level... spend some good time playing it, maybe the only game I truly enjoyed in recent years. These stupid reviewers do not understand the context of the game, the Duke's world.. so to speak.. and even saying silly things like 90' graphics, while it clearly runs on the current gen. engine... suckers. Expand
  78. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a lot like a Dan Brown novel - doesn't do anything spectacular but at the same time is very hard to put down. I think people just need to disconnect the time of release from the game. There is a huge variety to the levels, the guns feel and sound good, the ambient sound creates a great atmosphere just like in DN3D, some of the dialog is hilarious and I really enjoyed the old school feel a lot of battles had. Graphically, I actually thought it looked great. I grew up with Doom, the first Playstation, and I first knew Pokemon in it's black and white glory on the Gameboy Pocket. So I can appreciate how far games have come and that DNF not only has acceptable graphic quality but it has been designed to actually be NICE to look at (Ghost Town, when you're shrunken inside Dukeburger, crash course level are some that come to mind). The driving sequences are fine and make a nice escape from running everywhere, in fact all of the parts of this game may not be perfect but the sum of those parts make for a kick ass game. And I own the PC version. Expand
  79. Jun 15, 2011
    When you play this you need to think of how games were back in the late 90's. There was no ducking for cover or trying to to get head shots. The game was meant to be straight up, in your face, run around shooting **** before it shoots you and be damned to the box you wanted to hide behind. Most of the bad reviews are reviewing it on the basis of being dated. Well no **** the game is dated. Look beyond that and its a GREAT game, graphics are pretty good, game play is what i expected from a Duke game, and its corny 13 year old humor is exactly what it should be. Tit jokes for the sake of tit jokes and punching a alien in the balls just because hes Duke and he can go that kind of thing.

Over all a damn fine game. Nothing innovative, nothing whole **** new, nothing there to wow me graphics wise, but none of that was expected with this game. Also yea, the console version sucks. Try playing Doom 2 on a console and you can expect the same reaction.
  80. Jun 14, 2011
    Hype can sometimes be really bad. In this case, the hype of DNF lead to bad reviews, misunderstandings, and complete dismissal of what I feel to be a satisfactory Duke Nukem experience. If you were born in 1998, and picked up this game on the Xbox. You'll probably think it's the worst game in the world. Hell, most adults who played Duke Nukem 3D probably think this is the worst game ever. But you really have to look at it from a certain perspective.

I know what you're saying. "There's no other way to look at it. It's a **** game." I disagree. Have you seen the screenshots the game in 1999? In 2004? They've worked very hard to keep up to date. Unfortunately because of publishers, deals, developers leaving, this game got kicked around for TOO long. If this was my company, I would have just let it go. I doubt the 12 years working on this game was worth it, given that the teams weren't working 12 years straight. Afterall, they went through multiple developers, builds, etc.

Now about the game. I don't think it looks bad at all. I think it holds up well. I think it holds up against most games after 2007-ish. You guys remember games like UT99, Serious Sam? DNF blows those graphics out of the water, so I don't understand all the reviews saying "Ugh, this looks like shareware from 2000." Um. No. It does not. The environments are NOT amazing, they're not even that memorable and cool. But it feels like a Duke Nukem game. The FEELING is right, the mood is right. I quite enjoyed it start to finish.

Vulgarity, racism, adult themes? If this game offends you, don't play it. You obviously don't remember much of the same content was in Duke Nukem 3D. And that was a pretty mature title for it's time. This game is not for everyone. It's not even for your average gamer. It's for fans of Duke Nukem who can just giggle and say "Oh, that Duke and his corny f*cking one liners." Yeah, there are plenty allusions and pop culture references. We get it. Hah-hah. Not everyone will laugh. It might have made me a smile and laugh a bit.

The story is pretty poor. If this was a story about Duke getting his chicks back and taking revenge, that would've made more sense. But there was a mismatch of all sorts of things including the president and the dam and what the hell is going on I'm just killing aliens? Yeah, I guess that's fine. They came to attack earth again... But hell. Even for a Duke game, I think most people would've appreciated a bigger story.

The gameplay mechanics are also not so bad. Just because it's 2011 doesn't mean eveeerryyy freaaaaking gaaaame in the wooooorld needs iron sights. I had fun without it. This game has a feeling of old school FPS with a little bit of new school (regenerative health, I was okay with it but would've liked to see classic pick-ups and a point system). Simple puzzles get it interesting, couple of vehicles to drive. Hey, they mixed it up. They even *tried* to do some Call of Duty esque scenes and cinematic, but it mostly fell flat.

The music is extremely amateur and was obviously thrown together last minute. The sampled drums and sampled guitars are unmodified (I know exactly what library all of the sounds come from) and it's disappointing that they wouldn't take the Duke Nukem theme serious. I wanted something big, badass, up to date rock in your face. It was an absolute downer.

Most of the audio assets were also old. They lacked punch and were tacky. It worked. But it was definitely not up to par by todays standards.

Overall, I am giving the game a 7. Why? Because it gave me a satisfactory Duke Nukem experience, I can't deny that I enjoyed it. I'm not going to give it a low-ball score because I was expecting more. Because I feel "cheated" No, I was NOT expecting this to blow me away. I was just expecting to kick some alien ass. If you were a Duke fan and you feel like you need to play it. Just play it. Don't take other people's word for it. Not even mine. You'll never know what you think of it until you actually play it. Even if it's for a bit of nostalgia and even if you just want closure. Just play it.
  81. Jun 16, 2011
    Well, I was disappointed. 14 years in development and I get boring levels, poor AI, dated graphics (looks like its from 2002 or so) and nothing innovative... Even Duke's jokes are already heard and seen somewhere. I was shocked by clumsy NPC animations and lifeless surroundings. They needed more time I guess to finish this game. Score 2.0
  82. Jun 14, 2011
    Never was a Duke fanboy, but I got this game for a friend and he loves it. I got myself a copy and I love it, too. It's nothing more than I expected, but nothing less, either. My only complaint about the game is the limit on current weapons you can carry. People say the gameplay is "dated", but Brink came along with something fresh and it got pummeled with negative reviews. What else is there to complain about? This "review" of mine is for the PC version, BTW. Expand
  83. Jun 15, 2011
    It's bad, the end. Seriously, just head over to the official forums if you want reviews for the game. Duke Nukem Forever was a promising title that failed on many fronts, hyper-sexualization is the only thing that allowed this game to not drown in its own fail... and i would suspect that's the only reason the older Nukem crowd even played it.
  84. Jun 14, 2011
    Whereas one might be a little mixed at the beginning and its age marks, one shouldn't fear that it's all stale throughout the game when you can clearly notice the build-up in its quality progression. The various Duke landmarks, quirks and classic moments and the sheer anticipation make this game worth every penny spent on my goodie-filled special edition. The music adds amazing depth and the interactivity and world-in-a-world experiences offered by getting shrunk are great. Definitely a fan game, but if I am to seperate myself from that standpoint (and that's tough), maneuver around the (granted) aged engine which they managed to milk nicely and simply appreciate the game for its value, then I'd have to say it has done a great job at keeping the open-minded player entertained with gratuitous amounts of action interchanged with puzzling, Duke humor and nostalgia. A person has to bear in mind what this rough gem has gone through and simply understand it, but given the amazing Duke community and their modding skills, I am not at all afraid.

'Course, it could just simmer down to simply stating, "Love it or hate it."
  85. Jun 15, 2011
    I sit here and read all these reviews about waiting 14 years and how disappointed people are. Seriously were you really expecting the game to be on par with today shooters. It is exactly what I was expecting dukes one liners blowing things up and kicking pigs asses. If your expecting a classic shooter style you will not be disssappointed. If your expecting the next cod your probably going to be disappointed, but if you wait till November I am sure ign and GameSpot will tell you that mw3 is shooter of the year even though it still looks and plays just like cod mw2. Now I have to kick ass or chew bubble gum and I am all out of gum Expand
  86. Jun 15, 2011
    DKF has every aspect of a modern sci fi FPS meaning many good designed and visually different levels, lot of action scenes with reaction-button-pressing and vast bosses (which some where quite challenging for a person that doesnt play mainly FPS games). The ego items were motivating and beside them there are lots of other items you can interact with for no real purpose. you can even hurt youself at the electric socket again which shows how serious gearbox took the details of duke nukem 3D.
    So if you are a total duke fan boy you wont come around his newest, macabre ass kicking adventure. And for non fan boys its worth a try
  87. Jun 27, 2011
    The reviewers have just taken cheap shots against an easy target. It's a barrel of fun, loads of variety, within an hour of play you will have done all sorts of novel things (avoiding spoilers ya see), it's fast and furious and full of entertainment. It's loads of larffs and way more interesting than another crushingly dull, self important CoD clone. Buy it, it's a gas. It's not the best game ever, but the reviews are just wrong Expand
  88. Jun 15, 2011
    Objectively a poor game, but still fun nonetheless - especially for those who have been waiting to revel in the memories of Duke 3D. It's graphics are not up to par, and it certainly can't justify 15 years of development, but it's chauvinism and brainless fun oozes Duke-ness - and that's what we've been missing for 15 years. Not for the jaded or politically correct.
  89. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem's iconic macho humor is as strong as ever, with all it's hidden ego items, which rewards players for spending time dicking around and finding ways to pat themselves on the back (though less so later in the game). This rewards players by increasing the size of Duke's ego, which is apparently powerful enough to stop bullets (but getting shot still makes him feel bad). The levels have some wonderfully novel and creative design. It's a breath of fresh air against all the modern shooters of nonstop shooting to find puzzles intermittently placed between shootouts, and allows for a stronger narrative characterizing Duke. The best joke of all is that after 15 years in development the game still feels rushed, and shooting simply isn't fun. Of all the fantastic weapons in Duke's arsenal, he's only allowed to carry two at a time, and not anywhere near enough ammo. For a game about kicking ass and chewing bubblegum, Duke spends way too much time looking at the ground trying to find the right tool for the job. Mid fight duke can refill his ego by humiliating and executing aliens, which is an entertaining idea, except Duke's default and constant ego regeneration is so fast, that such maneuvers are hardly worth doing. The regeneration also heavily encourages players to just turtle up behind cover and hide whenever they get hurt, which is very uncharacteristic of Duke Nukem, and sometimes results in long drawn out standoffs without the specific gun Duke is supposed to use (which can often be found nearby without any in world explanation). On harder difficulties all these problems are made worse, as duke has to spend more time hiding to recover ego, and it's more important that you have the specific gun the developer wanted you to use for that part.

Duke Nukem could of been an exciting blast from the past, but instead a halfassed attempt to "modernize" it ruins the game and makes it play like a cheap, and clunky Call of Duty clone.
  90. Jun 15, 2011
    As everyone i was waiting for that duke, and like everyone feared the duke end up as "an inspiration for birth control".

While it is not the game of the year, i am really enjoying playing it, and i expect to finish it, not like many other games i started and are still waiting mid-way because "wonderfull graphics, but too boring, too repetitive"... i have "assassin creed" in mind...

The graphics are not "soso" as many says, i would compare it to riddicks chronicles and i think it is the same engine. But engine does not do everything, and the creative dpt in duke succeed i don t know how to make me remind the duke nukem 3d design. The duke penthouse, the casino, are pure rococo style and make a real difference with the seriousness of other games. Anyway, we don t want to play this game for graphics are we? unless you have the chicks in mind.

The gameplay: i hate console, they are the biggest problem in that game as it is again "made with console in mind"

You cannot have more than 2 gun at a time "WTF Duke!", no medikit (still the ego things is pure awsomeness)
    "hit spc rapidly to ..." Come one!? we are using keyboard and mouse, not some updownleftright ABCD controler...
    The flashing door that you can open, the flashing button that you need to press... i suppose console players are kind of dumb people to need such kind of assistance, that was the thing that annyed me the most in "metro 2033" despite the fact i loved that game.

Last complain i get from the game... you cannot intereact much with the chicks, i don t expet to have "an extended play" with them, but something! even some duke random catchy sentences would have suffice... instead of that, the chick will say "thanks for saving my life, i get down on you anytime you want" and that is the end of it.

Now for the goodies:

It's fun! it's gross! it Duke nukem!, half naked chicks, alien humiliation, gratuitious violence againts helpless rats, all is there. Morevoer there is some "non fps" level that are a good time for relax, with mini games, popcorn and vibrato. You will have also some puzzle, and not always very obvious, the level just before the queen **** was very interesting, and you get those... ho! i don t want to spoil.

Anyway come get some!
  91. Jun 14, 2011
    Games like Call of Duty can easily appeal to anyone. Duke Nukem, however, cannot. It has a very limited fanbase and makes itself that way with its inappropriate humor and its lack of effort in the development of it all. This is not to say I disliked it. I actually, enjoyed it for the most part. The story isn't deep, the gameplay is simple, and the humor is still there from the original duke nukem games.

The thing that really brings this game down is the lack of development put into it. All items have the same grab animation (You swing your arm and effortlessly pick stuff up), interactive objects are hardly interactive (Pick up a donut, and you just swallow it whole).

But beyond the occasional having-your-bullets-not-registering, the game isn't bad. It has it's flaws, and we really shouldn't see flaws like this in 2011, but it still feels like the Duke Nukem we've come to know and love.
  92. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me be totally honest about this game, and I hope this review will help people make the decision to either buy, or not buy this game. When the game first began, I wasn't too impressed. But I have to say as I've progressed further and further into the game, it's gets better and better. I don't know what people are talking about concerning level design, I personally think it's fine the way it is. It's not confusing and to be perfectly frank, you have to be a moron not to figure it out. If all else fails, touch the glowing orange object. Many people also strongly disliked the RC car / Small Duke levels, but I enjoyed them quite a bit. Particularly the kitchen level. It's amusing and so long as you have a shred of hand eye coordination and aren't timing inept, they don't take long at all. I'm starting to think that the people that write negative reviews about this game, both here and on other sites are the type of people that can't enjoy a simple, poorly acted, although hugely entertaining action film. This game is exactly that, hugely entertaining, but certainly not groundbreaking. But really, when was it ever about groundbreaking? People that play this game are playing it for Duke and the detail and complexity found in games such as Crysis would just be overlooked here. When I play this game, I'm not looking around and saying "Wow, this is pretty", I'm saying "Where can I find some f&$king ammo? I wanna blows some **** up".

If you want to go out and have some good, bloody fun with big ass guns, amusing one-liners, chicks, explosions and almost unlimited ammo at times, then you'll enjoy this game in it's entirety. If you're looking for the next technological ground breaking masterpiece, then go elsewhere and stop putting this game down for something it's not trying to be in the first place. Take it as it is and enjoy it.
  93. Jun 15, 2011
    Just played 3 hours of single player and an hour of multi-player. I'm an old school D3D fan, played from the shareware demo up to the high-res xDuke/eDuke versions. Also had atomic version, plutonium pack, duke in DC etc..

This game is fun if you like duke, period. I mean if you look for things to complain about, you'll find them. And for the "man it took 12 years" line, I don't think
    they were perfecting a diamond for 12 years.. they just couldn't get their act together and get the game out. Sounded like a case of bad management to me. Anyways, I don't think the graphics are that bad (in the good parts.. they actually look good).. and blowing arms and legs off of the cycloids in duke's casino between games on the slot machines is pretty cool. It's fun to walk around as duke and have the characters say outrageous things to you.. as well as duke's sayings like "my balls... your face" as enemies get blown back from shotgun rounds.. it's fun man that's all I can say. There are many things that can be easily fixed I imagine with some patches if they decide to really support the game.

If you are one of the guys who says "this $49 could have gone for SO MUCH better use" then it may not be for you.. but if you've been keeping track of the development for a dozen years like me.. I think you'll find it great. Also, on multi-player tonight I ran into a couple old school 1996 names I recognized playing... pretty amazing!

If they can polish up the multi-player some, add new single player content (from gearbox proper) or open up the mod tools.. it's going to take off.. mark my words. The single player has had it's ups and downs in the first 3 hours.. but the good stuff is really good.. and FUN.. so if you are on the fence just get it and support the DUKE!!
  94. Jun 15, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever brings fun back into the FPS genre with humorous details and funny one liners throughout the game. The single player campaign took me about 10 hours (on hard)which included world exploring, but its still easily more than the modern shooters last. Game has some great moments and the interactive stuff like air hockey, pool and such are nice small additions to the game. Finding all the ego boosts is also rewarding. The story and character is essentially over the top satire. The humor references are towards other games, movies and pop culture. The puzzles are great and pace the game nicely. The puzzles aren't too hard to figure out, but they add that something that modern FPS genre lacks. The levels feel unique and provide interesting twists to gameplay. Game has quite a lot of scripted sequences. Some of them lack a bit of polish and one or two areas seem to be somewhat unfinished. On the other note the game does have few moments and areas that are so well done that you forget playing a bit outdated and unpolished FPS game. The weapons include all the old Duke Nukem 3D weapons and throws in few new ones. Weapons are a smart mix of conventional, alien and fun. The weapons feel and sound powerful and delivers a good immersion that you're not shooting a bb gun. The 2 gun limitation does seem like a console game limitation, but in the end it didn't bother me at all. There is usually separately mapped explosives and powerups one can use to his benefit in the fight. Boss fights provide unique challenges and end in amusing fatalities. Duke's ego, itself a parody of regenerating health systems, provides some respite from the occasionally punishing combat and brutal enemy characters. Game graphics don't look that dated when compared to modern FPS games. The graphics benefit a lot for its mix of realism and a bit cartoonish style since that gives it more longevity. As a comparison Borderlands and World of Warcraft do look nice even after so many years. Generally most of the outdoors areas don't have the vibrancy of most indoor levels, which are rendered well. Post-processing effects often tend to miss the mark and some explosions and weapon effects don't always look too good while other effects and dynamic soft shadows look very nice. The level geometry is mostly for the low end and while static meshes are detailed, this is a game that's meant to run better than it looks. Overall, the game is fun from start to finnish, despite the lack of polish in some areas, makes for a uniquely hand-crafted experience that stays with you. I would recommend this to all the fans of old style FPS games, duke fans and to people who just wants to have fun playing a game that doesn't take itself too serious. Those interested in graphics or modern "realistic" titles with tighter, combat to combat scripting like the Call of Duty or Battlefield series might want to wait till this one is on sale. Expand
  95. Jun 15, 2011
    Don't buy into the hate - try it for yourself. (Just FYI, though, the demo is a poor representation of the rest of the game.) There's a lot going on for Duke, both positive and negative. This game disappoints in a lot of areas, and there's no sugarcoating that, but yet, despite all of that, there's considerable enjoyment to be had there. The multiplayer is a blast, much more so to me than games like Call of Duty. The singleplayer campaign is a bit disappointing at times and enthralling at others. If you're unsure on it, you should probably wait until it's at 25% or 50% off before you pick it up, because the multiplayer is worth it, at the very least. But if you've read descriptions of the game and it still appeals to you, then Duke is right for you.

I disagree with people who recommend Bulletstorm over this. Bulletstorm may be more of a graphical marvel, but its single player campaign is insultingly short and STILL manages to feel like they tacked extra things on. Duke, on the other hand, is a pretty long campaign, but never do you feel like "they could have taken this out" (with one exception, which I won't spoil).

The regenerating health is... a bit annoying, but at the same time, it prevents you from being screwed if you lose a lot of health in a tough battle and there's no healing around. The two weapons deal isn't even much of a bother - ammo runs out pretty quickly anyway, so you'll be constantly switching weapons and experimenting to see which ones you prefer when you have to make a choice.

Multiplayer is really where this game shines. The pace is frantic, and the weapons are reasonably balanced. The maps are imaginative and don't give campers much room to camp. The holoduke gives things a tactical spin, and the weapons are simply much more fun than much of what other FPSes are giving you.

It's not for everybody, but Duke is worth a shot, even if just for the multiplayer.
  96. Jun 15, 2011
    This game brings it. I sense conspiracy with the so called 'professional' reviewers, and maybe their mommies should take away their xbox360's for a week to punish them (most clearly arent PC gamers) . On PC, it plays sweet, runs well and is packed with awesome dukiness!
  97. Jun 16, 2011
    Man this game is BAD!
    Horrible textures, cringe worthy dialog and terrible level design.
    For a game in development for so long, one has to wonder just what they spent all that time on.
    It certainly wasn't time well invested.
    Not since the shocking Space Chimps Game has a title disgusted me so much!
  98. Jun 16, 2011
    Terrible game. Linear, bad graphics, stupid one liners peppered at random, and stupid boss fights makes me glad I did not buy this game. So sorry for all those saps who pre-ordered this pile of garbage.
  99. Jun 14, 2011
    DNF is a sloppily made console port of Generic Shooter 2011. It's gameplay mechanics are copied straight from pretty much every modern console shooter (regenerating shield, 2-weapon-limit, extremely linear gameplay, pseudo quicktime events, checkpoints, choked FOV) and noticeably get in the way of having fun - it's kind of hard to enjoy the game with button prompts in the middle of your display while you're trying to actually play. Duke even puts down a console controller within the first 10 mins of the game, as if daring the player to use a keyboard and mouse to play.

Multiplayer is no fun either - numerous crippling bugs and design flaws exist, from the unbearable lag, to the mysterious multiplayer security bugs which Gearbox refuses to disclose, along with the lack of internal security protection, leading to easy cheating. Spawn points in multiplayer maps are poorly designed and no spawn protection is afforded to players, which makes griefing rather amusing.

While Duke Nukem 3D was kept alive for a long time by a dedicated mod community and the support of 3D Realms, having released the Build editor, there have only been cookie-cutter community-placating responses from Gearbox on the release of a DNF editor, but no actual evidence of one which is forthcoming. This, along with their eagerness in removing the in-game console (to prevent multiplayer bugs - *face-through-desk*) does not bode well for this game being fixed/redone correctly and kept alive by the community's talented mapmakers, artists, modders and programmers.
  100. Aug 24, 2011

1. Sep 12, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever would be quite decent if one felt entirely certain it's intended purely as a self-parody. As is, it doesn't do the expectations, the buyer or the Duke justice – oh, had he rather remained a vaporware legend!
  2. Aug 6, 2011
    Petty, nasty and anachronistic. Duke is only relevant as a warning from the past. Avoid these mistakes, developers. [Aug 2011, p.76]
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Bottom line: Duke Nukem Forever was not worth the 15-year wait, nor is it worth paying the full $50. However, I cannot deny that I thought it was both fun and funny, which at the end of the day is what this franchise is all about.