4.6

1. Jun 21, 2011
    Terrifying, and not in the "the graphics are pretty amazing" way although they are at a level acceptable by todays standards. The game unfortunately falls short in all other areas. The storyline is predictable, cut scenes look horrible. The fighting engine is completely useless on PC (which stinks of a straight console port), the platform where the game originated and found its roots. Most importantly something I look for in RPG's is the build.. but.. NO CHARACTER MODIFICATION!? PATHETIC SKILL TREES and NO SET BONUS'S ON ITEMS!? COME ON! Highly disappointing that falls short in a number of areas. My main regret with this title beyond the title itself is buying it on Steam, chances of a refund, slim to none. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2011
    After the whole Dragon Age 2 debacle, I think Obsidian Entertainment might be bracing themselves for a fandom backlash, especially considering how much they changed Dungeon Siege III from its predecessors. While a solid game in its own right, I almost hesitate to call the game Dungeon Siege at all - essentially the only thing that has been retained in this third entry to this popular PC game franchise is the massive amounts of loot you'll find and the story lore. And frankly, the lore was one of the weaker aspects of the first two titles.

Dungeon Siege III is a third person action role-playing game developed by Obsidian Entertainment, a company practically known for taking over other people's game series. With titles such as KOTOR II, and Neverwinter Nights 2 (and corresponding expansions) under its belt, Obsidian has a reputation for making deep, engrossing sequels filled with interesting characters and topped off with intricate plots.

With Dungeon Siege, this fan-favorite developer has stepped outside of familiar territory; most of their games are pseudo turn-based RPGs - Dungeon Siege III is their first fully real-time action RPG. DS3 tries to combine fast-paced action with Obsidian's renowned storytelling and for the most part it succeeds. Operative words being "for the most part."

See my full review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-dungeon-siege-iii.html
  3. Jun 21, 2011
    Although the environments look nice, that is where the improvements upon the previous title ends. In fact, this game really does not feel like part of the dungeon siege series at all. This game is a textbook example of a console port gone wrong. The controls and camera angles are awkward, there is no way to change your key settings (for those who are left handed or just prefer different keys), and the targeting system is a turn and face type setup, rather than a point and click. Makes you wonder why they bothered to release this game for the PC at all. In terms of the RPG elements, the first setback is character creation. There is none. You must pick from a cast of 4 characters. There are 9 skills for each character with about 2 of them that are actually useful. Upon leveling you are forced to spend your skill points, which not only breaks up the pace of the game, but doesn't allow you to save up points for later use (ie in a better skill). Items are dull, there are no sets or set bonuses and there are no interesting properties beyond a few attributes and damage modifiers (fire, lightning, vampire). Armour and gear don't visually change your character's appearance much either. Overall a disappointing game for those who really enjoyed the previous two titles. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    Ok, it's a different developer. The GFX are passable, the game doesn't crash for me and you do kill lots of things by clicking on them.
    There, that's the good stuff. The bad stuff. Maaaaan.

1) Poor control options. Mouse is set up (and noner configurable) to the exact opposite of every other action RPG I have ever played (Titan Quest, WoW, Sacred, Diablo and all their sequels). A 360
    controller works ok, but this is a PC game...geddit?
    2) Companion AI is TERRIBLE. If you play with a strategy in mind.. Tank, Heal, DPS whatever, then prepared for your AI companion to be hopeless. Pick a DPS/paper armour like Katerina, and expect to have to gain aggro with every mob you meet while you heavily armoured "tank" sidekick wanders around like an idiot on the periphery. If you play "Cecil" (the Tank character) then it's just about bearable, for any other class it takes whatever tiny little window of tactics this game had left and flushed them straight down the toilet.
    3) Multi-player. Go online and watch every one wanting to host and no-one wanting to join. Why? because you only progress in the game if you are the host! Obsidian? Seriously? in a game whose core attraction is constant progression, where levelling and improving is the very core gameplay mechanic of the genre....did you really think this was a smart move?

As a WoW player I had little interest in MP gaming with DS3 anyway. The dull "button mash" single player mechanic is a ruiner for me.

And don't get me on the horrible GUI, lack of inventory control, minimal character customization and mouse hunting during gameplay (very precise clicks are required to do real hardcore stuff like......save the game)

If the game had a decent one player mode OR a decent multiplayer mode I could have given it a 4 or 5 as a basic "button masher" for kiddies. But as it messes both of those up and lumbers them with a counter intuitive interface, then 2/10 is all I can offer. And I'm trying to remember why it deserves the second of those.
  5. Jun 21, 2011
    Uff, so much rage. Well here it goes:
    I have never been a big fan of the dungeon siege games (though I have played them both), but I honestly I can´t see the flaws the other reviewers find on this when it comes to make comparisons with the previous entries. They weren´t exactly challenging , and despite a few cosmetic changes what we have here It´s
    basically the same game: Cliché characters (based in ye good old archetipes), endless corridors (full of monsters and loot) and extremely linear gameplay (well, at least here you actually have to click on the enemies for the character to attack taking away a bit of the ¨interactive screensaver¨ feeling of the series). With the controls I had no issue wathsoever.
    About the story, I think it´s an improvement over the prequels (where it was almost non existant). It´s a bit darker, predictable yes, but well written, and the humour is still there, it´s a different kind, a bit more sophisticated without going to extremes.
    Besides that, I beg to differ about the voice acting and companion ai, for me is was pretty good. Whenever the lead character falls, there is a good chance for the companion to resurrect him.
    All in all, if you take it without inflated expectations (what we have here is yet another diablo clone) it´s a pretty good and polished little game (not one bug I found, a new landmark for Obsidian). I´ll give it a 10 though it more like a 7,5 (definitely not a 0). Have fun.
  6. Jun 21, 2011
    terrible game and how PC gamer is sucking up saying the visuals are unmatched among dungeon crawlers is ignorant. compared to the previous two titles it deserves nothing of the franchise. controls are terrible, the flames look awful in the opening dungeon--it has none of the character or environment that gave the first dungeon siege its charm and replayability. I could rant for hours about this bad game but I think you get the drift Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2011
    The graphics aren't too bad, and the game feels fairly polished and smooth, but with a very dull story and shallow combat mechanics it fails to keep you entertained. The camera is also excruciating to use and will ruin the game for many.
  8. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game's suxx! How could they screw up oh-so simple loot-game formula oh-so bad in so many ways?! Lets count how many screw ups are there, shall we?
    1 For a loot game there is no customization of your equipment, i mean if you pick Katarina is rifles and guns to the game's end. You can't pick up knife, sword or some kick ass hummer... NOOOO! it's guns and riffles all da way. That's suxx.
    2 There's no option in developin' your character - you can't play the game with the same character choice and end up with two different chars in the end - you'll take all skills available eventually and they power ups is hardly notecable. it's the same with Passive skills. Level up is boring and that's suxx.
    3 Fight's are boring! With Katarina i'ts pretty much just button mashing. THere were times, where i dont even see where tha hell i am shooting, and i didn't care either cause enemies were dyin'. There were times when i was thinking that game is just playin' with itself and doesen't need me and that's suxx.
    4 There was no boss fight until the very end. There was bosses, but they hardly challengin' even on hardest settings available and they are just bigger versions of normal enemy or same as normal enemy with aura-like circles arround them. That's just lazy and unimaginative and that's suxx.
    5 For a loot game you have no clue WTF the item does. There are lot of characteristics that i dont get. whats Doom, whats Momentum, whats Block, whats Warding? there's no help with this, there's no characterization.I still don't get it and i finished this POS. Having Characteristics unknown in a loot-game is suxx
    6 Skills are pathetic and unconvenient. You'll have skills for each weapon. 3. Why not all 6 with all weapons? that's just buffles me. F.e. Katarina has skill - summon wolf, that she could do, only when she equips 2 guns. hmmm...whyyyyy? skill's themselves are pathetic. i finished the game with the same skill i have in the beginning and that's just sad... and suxx.
    7 plot. It's stupid, i'ts unimaginative, it's flat, it's predictable... in a loot-game, whatever right? Right. F.e. who cared about plot in Torchlight, Diablo 2, Titan quest? No one. At least not me. Why is it an issue here? Because it's All. Over. The. PLACE. It's annoying! You can take two steps without someone startin' talkin' to you. It's EVERYWHERE and even if you skip it it's still ANNOYING! and suxx.
    8 THey tryin' to rip off better games like ME and DAO. I'am huge bioware fan and for me thoose elements looked cheap, half-done, and bad executed. THey are tryin' to convince you, that choices you make will form a sequel's world. I don't buy it! There's going to be no sequel to THIS game. Pathetic ripoffs of better games is usually BAD idea and it's suxx!
    9 Cut-scenes... 99 cents worth moving pictures. It's like a slap in the face! You can't get more cheaper than those! Remember how cool it's been with cut-scenes in Diablo2? There was even extra disc with only those! That was AWESOME. But not here. Not in this game. This game is suxx!
    10 Voice acting suxx and make no mistake about it, which makes plot issues even more insufferable!
    11 there is no world map in this one! WHY? Why would you do such a thing, obsidian? It's just suxx
    12 Game length is only 6 hours! 6!!! I was readin' comments, where people say it was 12.. Are you retarded or something? I've completed ALL the quests, waste about an hour in ice dungeon, cause got i've got lost in the damned thing. Still it was 6 hours. Short-length games are suxx.
    All in all it's just hard to recommend this game to anyone. At this price you can get torchlight, both Deathspanks and Titan quest and EACH OF THEM is far more enjoyable than this flick. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!
  9. Jun 21, 2011
    For anyone hoping for a true Dungeon Siege sequel, turn around now and walk away. This game is definitely not it. The DS series has, up to this point, been characterized by almost infinite character customization and fun storylines that don't take themselves to seriously (I want my goblin flamethrower!), with great multiplayer and simple click-fest combat. This game has none of that. The graphics are decent, not great. That's about the only really good thing I can say. The controls are horrible, character customization is for all intents and purposes nonexistent, combat controls are iffy at best. The storyline is old. Multiplayer doesn't really let you bring your own character into a game. Oh, and speaking of multiplayer, if you needed proof that this is just a bad port of a mediocre console game, when you try to find a multiplayer game, the prompt for Player 2 to press Start to join is still there. Using the Xbox Start icon. REALLY OBSIDIAN? Expand
  10. Jun 22, 2011
    Worst dungeon siege game I have ever played. both 1 and 2 are way better. In this game the camera is frustrating the combat is boring its just a bad game period.
  11. Jun 21, 2011
    There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Dungeon Siege 1 was brilliant in that it was a simple hack and slash game, with tons of loot in an open world (as in it didn't feel cramped and completely linear). Character customization was through the roof. Game play could last for days, weeks, months... hell I still play it from time to time. I won't ramble on with it, but moving on to the sequels, it seems that they keep changing and adding new ideas which completely broke away from what the original was all about.

Dungeon Siege 3 is a monstrosity if compared to its predecessors. This is a completely unrelated game with its own mechanics and should not bear the name of Dungeon Siege. The Dungeon Siege series was a PC exclusive game, till now and this shows the full force of it. This was blatantly made for the console with the PC as a mere afterthought.

Character Customization:
    There is none. Zero. Nada. Zip. You have four characters to choose from and they are all pre-made and stuck in their specific field. Want a warrior that can shoot spells or used ranged weaponry? Nope, sorry. You cannot change your characters name, you cannot customize your characters appearance, you cannot change how your character plays. The only thing that CAN be customized is talents as you level. Even though by the end of the game, you will have ALL of the talents for your specific class, throwing decisions and builds out the window.

Multiplayer:
    One of the key aspects of this game was cooperative multiplayer. Here's how it works. One player creates a game and can set it to Offline (default), Private, or Public. With Private, you can invite friends to join or Public random people can join in. The player that created the game can keep any loot or xp they acquire throughout the game. Any players that joined, choose a pre-made character to "help" the main character (eg the person that created the game). Secondary characters do NOT keep ANYTHING from their multiplayer session. All players must remain on screen at all times or you cannot move anywhere. If a player tries to run away, the camera will skew to such a degree so that you are always facing the other players and will hit an invisible wall. Does this sound fun? Absolutely not. Massive restriction here.

Controls/Camera:
    This was the worst of it I think. I mentioned the camera in multiplayer above. On top of that, it's restricted to a near top/down view, hindering view distance and visibility. I felt like I was stuck in a resolution of 800x600 while in multiplayer. Single player camera seems to play out differently, and I did not have much of an issue with it besides the control interface. Movement is solely with the ASWD keys (no point in click found in the previous titles). There is NO keyboard customization in this game. NONE. What game does NOT allow keyboard configurations?!

DRM:
    This game makes use of Steamworks as its DRM of choice. While I have no issue with it, as I make extensive use of Steam, others may. If you do not want to be forced into using Steam, do NOT buy this game (although I wouldn't recommend this game regardless).

Stay far and clear of this title. If I could get a refund for this, I would do it in a heartbeat. Game completion time is less then 15 hours, not worth the price tag. Re-playability is none.
  12. Jun 21, 2011
    Not sure what game the people on the left column are playing, but it must not be dungeon siege 3. The best thing I can say about this game is that it's pretty, which is why it gets a 3. Voice acting is **** storyline is poorly delivered, boring and very skippable, controls are clunky at best and the multiplayer is really frustrating. With better controls and thought out multiplayer this could be a decent game to tool around in with your friends. I don't really see why anyone would want to single player this though Expand
  13. Jun 27, 2011
    Do not fool yourselves, this is first and foremost a console game and has little relation to the previous titles which were alot more diverse and fun. However grab an xbox controller and there are a few hours of fun to be had in this sequel as long as you enjoy this type of games. This is not a full dollar game, I would wait for a significant price cut (
  14. Jun 21, 2011
    Oh dear... I should have looked at the warning signs before I brought it for full price. Released on the console and PC at the same time and Squire Enix being involved being the biggest ones. Firstly the controls aren't configurable thank you so much consoles for that so the change stances button which is Q and your first power which is 1 are right next to each other. You will be pressing both of those keys a lot and I keep pressing the wrong one again and again. The controls in general feel clunky and not fluid at all not helping of course by the camera. As the one ranged character you get I found myself firing off the screen at where I hoped the enemy was because I just couldn't zoom out enough to see. The atmosphere just isn't there for me compared to the first two games which was the one thing I hoped they would move over. This is just trading off of the name with some mention of lore now and again to try and link them to rest of the series. I am just hoping we get to a tipping point soon where us customers just have enough of bad games with bad game play that are made just to make money rather then for the love of it. Give us back the fun and we will actually want to pay for it. Expand
  15. Jun 21, 2011
    The controls are inexcusably bad on PC. With games like Diablo, Torchlight and TQ around to demonstrate an easy, functioning industry standard, that's inexcusable. The game is also short with no replayability on harder difficulties to further advance a character, another aRPG standard that was left completely out. Lack of the ability to play and develop your own character in co-op multiplayer on other people's games is another failure. Overall, while the story isn't bad and the game looks pretty, there are major glaring flaws that even Torchlight at 1/5 the cost managed to do right. The obvious focus on the console gaming market hamstrung the game and the resulting awkward, incomplete aRPG is a short, frustrating experience that does a great disservice to both its predecessors and the genre in general. Expand
  16. Jun 21, 2011
    When I buy a PC game, I expect a PC game ... not a console game with the letters P and C slapped on it. If I want to play a game for a console, I'll buy a console- they're completely different gaming mechanisms.

I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced; I pre-ordered it as soon as it was available on Amazon, based solely upon the continuation of the Dungeon Siege
    franchise; Dungeon Siege 1 is in my list of top-ten favorite computer games.

I'm disappointed that this appears to be yet another game that builds its fanbase upon PC users, then panders to the lowest common denominator of consoles.

I don't want to play a console game on my PC. If I did, I'd buy a CONSOLE. I don't want to have checkpoints; I don't want to have to play with a controller. I DO NOT HAVE A CONSOLE IN FRONT OF ME; I HAVE A PC.

I'm tired of my game experience being limited to what an aging console is capable of accomplishing.

I went into this game with an open mind, hoping I'd enjoy the experience. This did not happen. I spent the weekend playing through DS1 in anticipation. I can choose from ... four characters. I can't even pick a name. I can't customize them. I can't even tell what they are. My friend and I lasted 15 minutes in multiplayer before I shut the game off because I had motion sickness to the point I felt like vomiting. It's bad enough that both characters have to be on screen at the same time (On a PC?!) But when the other player moves, it moves MY camera. Even when I'm trying to stand still and maneuver close enough to something that I can use the freakin' "action key," the screen is swaying and churning like a boat at sea.

The viewing angle is already exceedingly awkward. Even at my native resolution of 1920x1080, when zoomed out as far as possible, I felt like I was playing on an 800x600 screen.

Save points? Again- I AM NOT ON A CONSOLE. I have an ENTIRE 500GB hard drive for nothing but games. Save away! I don't mind!

The game automatically activates your microphone if you have one plugged in.

The music sounds like bad early German ambient electronica at the beginning of the game. So much so, that I'm not sure it was even playing correctly, as it mostly sounded like a collection of random beeps and feedback. I ended up turning it off 30 seconds into the game.

I'm done with pre-orders before reviews are out. I'm tired of console ports that fail to live up to the PC's capabilities; I'm equally tired of reviewers glibly accepting this without calling game companies to task.

And why is the game so ... French? I'm in the Kingdom of Ehb, yet everyone sounds like they spent the month in Paris. This is NOT Dungeon Siege. This is not even a PC game.

And why do I need a Steam connection to play at home on my LAN?

Thank you, Square Enix and Obsidian. I will not pre-order games ever again; I'm tired of being burnt by crap like this.
  17. Jun 21, 2011
    To be honest. I could give it 6 or 7, IF it's not called "Dungeon Siege 3" and misleading people about the "Dungeon Crawler Game". As a "Hack&Slash" "Action-RPG", it has decent Gameplay. But it has NOTHING to do with "Dungeon Crawler" ; it Lacked EVERY SINGLE Element to be a Dungeon Crawler Game. It lacked the variant of loots ; totally pointless to do Online Co-op with others ; and ultimately, it has NO replayability expect you want start with a new character ; Not to mention, WITHOUT skipping Cutscenes, it still has only 12~15 Hours Gameplay. Which is not accessable as a Full Price ARPG in my opinion. Even the D&D Daggerdale ; a Buggy & Bored Dungeon Crawler Game, can do better on it's length, and that's not a full price game. Too Bad this game called "Dungeon Siege 3" with "Dungeon Crawler" advertised that doesn't exist in game, just because their miserable Marketing. Expand
  18. Jun 24, 2011
    THE GOOD: Switching stances to execute different attacks is a good idea. The graphics, while not being outstanding, are well polished. The sound design is pretty good. THE BAD: Boring loot table, a leveling system that is not engaging at all. THE UGLY: The controls are horrible on the PC, but that wouldn't be so bad if we could remap key bindings. But we can't. What the hell?

Side Rant:
    One of the fun things about dungeon crawlers is finding cool loot, not only items that do cool things but look cool. I can barely tell that I'm wearing different armor or weapons, and I have a suspicion that most of the armor models are identical. Look at Torchlight as a good example of loot done well. Expand
  19. Jun 21, 2011
    For a series known for their RPG, there really isn't much RPG'ing going on. The story is bland. I mean, really really bland. When you have a linear storyline, games such as Diablo or even the Witcher series, make sure the script isn't written by some 6th grader between lunch breaks. Dungeon Siege III's storyline makes me feel like I'm being treated like a 12 year old.

Character
    customization isn't there. You get a selection of pre-defined roles but the customization to make you feel like this is YOUR character, isn't there. For a linear storyline, the quests are supposed to be challenging, with various ways of doing it but reaching the same goal. For a non-linear storyline, your decisions affect your next decision and in turn have consequences.

I'm not sure exactly what Dungeon Siege 3's storyline is supposed to be. It's just bad.

The graphic which I'm sure looks great on TV for a console, looks outdated and to be honest, trashy on a high end PC.

The acting and voice acting of NPC's? Oh please. I think I'd have more fun watching Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars.

All in all this is a terrible game coming from such a great series. I had such expectations and I was just floored with sadness that I actually spend $50 bucks on this piece of trash.
  20. Sep 8, 2011
    I had hoped this game would be good because in my opinion it's been a very bad year for games. Turns out, it isn't. To be open, I have not purchased the game. I have downloaded the demo from Steam and played that. I'd like to give the makers of this game props for providing a demo before release and making it widely available, every game company should do this. But, in this instance the demo didn't do the game any favors as it quickly displays how bad it is. You can't control the camera and the angles are very awkward, keybinds are preset (not customizable) and poorly set at that. No game today should lack a key mapping ability, regardless of console but especially on PC. Graphics were OK, but not great. Honestly didn't see any better eye candy than Dragon Age:Origins which is a couple of years old. So, I am thankful that the demo was made and released as it saved me having to wait for reviews to make a purchase decision. I sincerely hope more game studios start releasing demos because had it been good, Obsidian would have had a preorder from me. Expand
  21. Jun 22, 2011
    I am seriously shocked, confused, and aggrevated by all of the negative reviews this game is getting. This is a good game, and it definitely does not deserve to be bashed and trashed like this. I just played through both the 1st and 2nd games, and I am really enjoying this one as well. In fact, even though the 2nd game was indeed great I thought it was a bit too long and drawn out, especially toward the end. Listen, if you are looking for a new hack n' slash game, and aren't 15 years old expecting it to "change your life", then I say don't listen to these crazy haters and go for it. The graphics are sharp, the gameplay is tight, the story is interesting, there is a ton of loot to find, tons of monsters to smite, alot of interesting lore to be discovered, the game is stable without any show stopping bugs, it runs at good solid framerates with the recommended requirments met, the cutscenes are good (although they are done in an art style I know some won't understand) and the voice acting is really good. Granted this game is done a bit different than the previous games, but honestly, is that such a bad thing? Yes, maybe it is a bit consolized, but why does PC = holy, and console = evil nowadays? I have enjoyed both equally for 27 years now, and I don't understand that war at all. Anyway, this game is alot more like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliace, and Champions of Norrath series, which if you have played them, you know those were great hack n' slash games and both get good to great reviews, yet this game is twice as good and just gets kicked to the curb! I just don't understand it, it seems to me like PC gamers are just getting out of hand in the whining and complaining department simply because games don't meet their unrealistic expectations of being "Earth Shattering". Even though I believe Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 will be great games and without a doubt will do it better than any previous games in the genre, do you really think they are going to be THAT much different and more innovative than anything els before it? Like Judas Priest said back in the day... "you got another thing comin'".

This is just one of a bunch of recent games taking undeserved negative criticism. I am starting to question whether it actually pays to read game reviews anymore. You can't trust anyone, and surprisingly, the gamers themselves are the most untrustworthy reviewers of them all! Yay, bandwagoning!
  22. Jun 21, 2011
    I bought this game by 17 th -Friday, so I had quite time to play through the weekend. I like it quite much. This game have beautiful graphics, good challenging fighting system (more action), ok plot, interesting exploring of new locations, quite well done creatures and for me re-playability â
  23. Jun 21, 2011
    I can't remember the last time I felt such *loathing* for a game. DS3 has absolutely no relation to DS1 and DS2: the use of the "Dungeon Siege" name is fraudulent. Controls, camera and voice acting are all cringe-makingly bad. The game looks, feels and sounds like a cheap XBLA knock-off of Torch. The critics responsible for the reviews to the left should be horse-whipped. I can't get my money back but I can at least get my hard drive space back. Expand
  24. Jun 21, 2011
    DS 1 and 2 were great games. Enjoy both of them. DS3 is a totally different game. If your looking for DS1&2 this isnt what your looking for. The game companys must be paying people to write good reviews. Because its awful in comparison. If you like DS 1&2 dont buy this game. If your new to RPGs, you might like this. Its just for you casual gamer.
  25. Jun 22, 2011
    This is only a dungeon siege game by name. Repetitive combat, boring story and rigid game overall. Ds1 and 2 were great games. Ds3 is not fantastic, not great or good. Its plain boring, not worth your money! Its a shame the DS name is getting dragged through the mud. I will go and play dungeon siege 2 now and dream of DS4 hoping it will be great..
  26. Jun 27, 2011
    If you played DS1 or 2 and think this is going to be like that DONT! This game blows and I mean in the worst possible ways. Here are a few pros and cons. Pros: Graphics are acceptable. Cons: 1. no auto save. you have to run to the light cones to save and you get 40 slots. 2. no potions. 3 you and one other member in parties. no more 5 man team as in DS1 or 2. 4 Totally liniar and i mean it.
    5 you have to click the E key to pic up or interact with ANYTHING other than gold.
    6. NO keyboard binding customization options
    7. POOR to non exsistent character development.
    8. POOR storyline.
    9 POOR voice acting and cut scenes. like my character will be facing away looking at the sky from the npc hes supposed to be talking to.

And much much more......short version...DONT BUY THIS! Wait for Torchlight 2 in JULY and that might gets us through to D3 :)
  27. Jan 27, 2012
    Being a huge fan of Dungeon Siege, I was really anticipating DS3, after playing it I must say that I am disappointed to say the least, I am quite glad it was a gift and I did not waste my own money on it. On it's own, it's not a bad game, that's why I gave it a 4 and not a lower rating, but its NOT Dungeon Siege in any respect. Yet another fantastic PC game title falls victim to the onslaught of cheap inferior console development. The game is about as "linear" as a game can get, nothing like DS, or even DS2. For a console game, by any other name, it would not be all that bad, not all that good, but not bad. However it's not by any other name, it was Dungeon Siege, and if you came here looking for that series, I am sorry to say, you're not going to find it here. Expand
  28. Jun 22, 2011
    I had high expectations but frankly they were squased within 5 minutes. I can live with the linear gameplay and only being able to choose pre created chars. I can live with a so so interface and some less then inspired voice acting. I CAN NOT live with the **** camera ever they have put into this game . The first little boss fight (which happens after 5 minutes orso) made me kill the boss while I couldnt even see him, you get it he was off-screen. Combine the bad camera with some very awkward controls and you are bound to quite within minutes. I prevailed and played on, but after an hour I just gave up. The story didnt capture me like DS1 once did, playing DS3 feels like a chore and it cant even come close to games like Diablo or Torchlight or even Space Siege....what a let down. Expand
  29. Jun 23, 2011
    While Dungeon Siege III looks beautiful, it is nearly impossible to play on the PC. Keyboard+mouse controls are terrible, aggravated by the fact that there is no way to remap the keys to even try to fix things. Additionally, the camera views are terrible. With the two long ranged characters, you will spend many boss fights simply running around clicking since the camera is never pointing at anything useful. Often, you can't zoom out far enough to even see what you are attacking. Finally, compared to pass Dungeon Siege titles, this game has been ridiculously dumbed-down, with each character getting only 9 abilities total. I can only assume that game companies have decided that we have become too dumb to deal with any amount of complexity in the character builds. Verdict for me: definitely don't buy. This is the first game in a long time that I feel I wasted my money on. Expand
  30. Jun 23, 2011
    I will never fool myself in to buying another dungeon seige game. Dont get me wrong the first was amazing. Its was open and I enjoyed exploring and killing everything I could find, and the sheer amount of armor and weapons was endless, plus the player mods just kept adding more. And the ratings for the game reflected that.
    2 comes along and everything is on rails, you still have all
    room to play but the feeling of size and worldliness was gone. And I even remember the rates for it!! they were bad, no one likes it compared to the first.
    Now 3 comes along and im thinking to myself this game should be epic, the company had to have realized that 1 was their money maker, its what people loved and wanted more of, and of course any company picking up this title to continue the series would realize also that what they needed was just 1 revamped, alittle for graphics, more lands to explore, even a more complex character building. What I ended up with though is an even bigger railed game. WTF! Listen if your first was a success, and the second an utter failure you dont continue to build on the second you fools!
  31. Jun 26, 2011
    So, the common complaints are controls, loot, storyline, deviation from Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. I will agree a bit with the controls had I not had an XBox 360 controller to use. The controller made this game very enjoyable with regards to a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. It is easy to switch between powers and move around IF you have the controller. I would avoid the mouse and keyboard completely. Second, the loot is a bit typical with 4 classes (white, blue, green and the rare orange items). I had armor at the end that gave me wings of fire (rare). However, most items are based on the character you want to build. i.e. One that heavily blocks or one that is fast and attacks full-on. As far as the storyline, ignore the comments of predictability. You are given choices and the storyline changes based on those choices. The ending sequences are like Fallout 3, based on what you accomplished and the decisions you made. Finally, while this is a deviation from the standard Dungeon Siege combat system, it is enjoyable if you manage to have a controller. I know, why use a controller on PC. Because, I have the option to do so. This game is not for everyone and many diehard Dungeon Siege fans will hate it. However, as a stand-alone game, it is rather enjoyable and easily addictive. The biggest part will be playing a 4 person squad in multiplayer. So, why did I give it a 9? Simple, the messed up keyboard and mouse controls that force you to use the controller. And, at times, you will find the camera at odd angles and unable to see anything except a wall. I purchased this game and received Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 free, so it was worth $45. However, if you are going to buy this game only without 1 and 2 attached, I would not spend over $35 on it. Overall, I do not regret buying this game or using the controller to play it. Expand
  32. Jun 21, 2011
    First, this game is Incredible visually. Your first ten minutes of the game are spent drooling over the menu screen. The Lighting, sound, and character design are polished and perfect. The Match finding system is the most simple, easy to use, system in any pc game to date. Hosting a game takes seconds and joining one is even quicker. The four characters you are able to choose from are amongst the most original set a characters in any RPG. The Voice over and dialogue are absolutely perfect. The once tedious and boring act of quest finding is fixed with a mass effect wheel and witty interaction that causes you to become attached and feel the pain of the "Grieving Widow" as you help revenge her fallen husband. Now, In regards to the whining reviews from the basement dwelling crybabies complaining about the Story being "Terrible" and "predictable" as well as the battle system being "unplayable" and "boring". Let me begin by saying this game was published by Square Enix!! They're not really known for sticking their name on crap titles with poor storylines. Second, The story was so in depth, so unique and Mind grabbing that Dark Horse Comics released three comics to help complete it. The battle system and gameplay is one of the most impressive, unique, and simple to use battle systems out there. Each charcter has three unique stances in which the player needs to use effectively in order to survive. You can not just hack and slash your way through this game with a healer and a tank spamming heal potions and warcry. A beautiful, enjoyable, in depth experience overall.â Expand
  33. Jun 21, 2011
    From the very start of the game I hated it, the developers should be ashamed, no custom character creation, and its pretty much the xbox version you are playing, with different keys assigned for controls, they didnt even bother to change the button icons, they are all still the colored ABXY buttons on the 360 controller, this game had potential all they had to do was smooth out the controls, and character customization and change a few icons and the gameplay a bit and it could have easily been a 6... but the developers cheated the PC community, and for that they should be ashamed, I want my money back! DO NOT BUY! Expand
  34. Jun 21, 2011
    This is horrible! Save your money if you expect anything like dungeon siege 1 or even 2 it's not even close. This game should be called something else on it's own because it has no resemblance of the other dungeon siege games. I am not sure why games are heading this direction lately with the all flash and spazz and no depth, no interesting story, no replayablity, lack of customization. Not related but Dragon age 2 was the same disappointment, it seems games are becoming streamlined for the quick buck and to screw the gamers that have experienced quality games and expecting quality with what they pay for. I would be willing to pay 2 to 3 times what a normal game would be if it was really a quality fantastic, replayable, in depth game where I wouldn't spend more than 5$ on this trash. Wait for this to hit the bargain bins. Expand
  35. Jun 23, 2011
    Oh man, I am so dissapointed...If I wanted to play The Witcher...I would have bought the F&^$ Witcher. To the people that keep saying, "I dunno why they are giving bad reviews," hmmm well that is probably because you never played the first two. Two huge upsets for me this year Duke and DS3...I really hope that HOMM6 does not change their formula for their release. However...they KILLED on the graphics quality...so kudos to that, but Shame shame for changing the DS formula that EVERYONE wanted. Expand
  36. Jun 21, 2011
    This is a great game, barring a design choice with the multiplayer. Aside from limiting co-op to sharing a screen, all the other aspects of the games are really implemented well. It's easy to manage your loot, the graphics are nice, and the combat is fun and somewhat deep.
  37. Jun 21, 2011
    I feel mislead! The box promised a PC version of Dungeon Siege 3 and instead I got a console port (terrible controls, mystifying camera view, and randomly spaced save game spots) of an RPG Lite (very lite!) game. I even checked reviews before I got it but then realized they were for the Xbox 360 version and NOT the PC version. PRO: good graphics, ok story, and no bugs on my system
    CON:
    controls & camera are so bad the game play is not fun. No in-game save without going to specified spots. Not a PC RPG (i.e. Dungeon Siege 1 or 2) but rather just a console button masher with RPG graphics. I am so disappointed as this could have been fun with more focus on the PC platform. Expand
  38. Jun 22, 2011
    I'm not sure why they even bothered porting this to the PC. It has all the limitations of the console with none of the advantages of the PC. No choice, no customization, TERRIBLE camera positioning and control. It barely avoids completely linear progression. Completely unforgivable. Yet another franchise destroyed by the console business model.
  39. Jun 22, 2011
    Graphics are alright, nothing mind blowing, but alright. This is the only thing this game has going for it. It doesn't follow it's predecessors gameplay wise at all. The controls are horid on the PC. Without a gamepad I would go as far as saying it is unplayable. That they have the audacity to call it a co-op game appalls me. It is just a side kick system that gives you no real reason to play with other people. Bottem line, it is not what it is advertised as. Expand
  40. Jun 22, 2011
    I guess I can start by reiterating what so many others have said here and that this game might have scored better had it not called itself Dungeon Siege III. Having played both of the previous DS games, I bought this one sight unseen. My mistake, I know. Controls are bad, co-op shares a common screen (even when playing on different systems) and game play is nothing like the first two. Using the name of a known series to push a completely different game just strikes me wrong. Will patches bring up the playability? I hope so, but I have my doubts. Expand
  41. Jun 25, 2011
    There are 2 problems with this game: 1) it's called "dungeon siege 3" and 2) the keyboard/mouse and camera controls are awful. It's really designed to be played with a game pad on a console, and it loses a lot of the fun elements of the first 2 games such as running a large party, finding exciting loot and tweaking out your character as you level, and the UI for managing your character and inventory and shopping is much more awkward. Taken for what it is its a fun console hack and slash, but they really changed too much of the formula that made the previous 2 games fun for me. Expand
  42. Jul 1, 2011
    Bland, forgettable, generic: this is DS3. Ironically, on paper DS3 sounds good: nice combat, nice graphics, lots of loot, and a story with choices. In reality, the combat is clunky. Worst PC controls EVAR, no joke. The loot and inventory system is tedious. The story is hilarious in how seriously it takes itself...too bad nobody else takes it seriously. But at least the graphics are nice, hah. Truth is Diablo 2, Titan's Quest, and Torchlight all do everything better. DS3 is just a throw-away game. A real shame too...it could have been something special. Expand
  43. Jul 19, 2011
    Sad it had to end this way Dungeon Siege. Such a shame the long awaited Dungeon Siege 3 was developed by another company into some stupid ass simple console RPG. After the many hours I spent playing Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, this game is extremely disappointing. But, we all saw it coming with a company like Obsidian plus console release. Oh well, RIP Dungeon Siege.
  44. Jul 18, 2011
    I normally play Role-Playing Shooters like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. So, a top-down view hack-n-slash mixed with RPG dialog is a bit of a switch for me. The camera angles kind of threw me off for a while, but I've learned to embrace them for one really important reason: couch co-op. My girlfriend likes games like Torchlight, and far as game play goes, this is really similar. However, it's also action-packed and dialog-heavy enough to keep a hardcore RPG shooter like me interested. My girlfriend and I were able to find this really cool common ground between our gaming preferences, and that to me is absolute gaming magic. I actually got to play a really intense RPG while spending time with someone I love. Normally time with my girlfriend and time with my gaming rig have to fight for the spotlight. Obsidian is arguably a master of RPG's. They've made some of my favorite games of all time such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas. True, they're also known for some bugs here and there, but after successfully completing this game, I can say I didn't experience even one single bug. This game is 100% absolutely rock-solid. Obsidian has masterfully made a great hack-n-slash/dungeon crawler/RPG here that should be easily enjoyable to anyone with an open mind for adventure and violence. I enjoy playing this game alone as well as co-op. In co-op you share loot, and all progress and inventory of the 2nd player is saved. Player 2 can drop out and jump back in any time they want, and when they come back (assuming the host hasn't sold everything) all their favorite weapons, armor, and upgrades will still be there. The host of the game gets to make all the RPG dialog decisions, but you can see an icon on the screen where other players are "voting" for their favored responses. Some people aren't too into the online multiplayer because only the host gets to keep the experience and loot, so single player and couch co-op are clearly the more favorable experiences. However, we started having some severe difficulty toward the very end of the game, so we opened our game to the public. Within minutes, we had two random online players join our cause and we started kicking some butt! The four of us completed the game together, and without spoiling a single thing, let me just say your decisions throughout the game matter.

We laughed, cursed, and simply had a great time. I seriously can't relate to a person who dislikes this game. It was honestly one of the best games I've ever played. If you like games like Fallout (old and new) and you also like playing games like Lego Star Wars with other people, imagine combining those play styles together. The story is very serious, and (as I mentioned) your decisions matter, but along the way you'll laugh and have fun. Upgrades are truly game-changing, and the game just gets better and better the more you advance. I've never played Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, so I have no presumptions of what this game "should have been". I humbly ask that you completely dismiss any reviews herein that compare this game to previous Dungeon Siege games or, worse yet, World of Warcraft (which is an extremely ignorant comparison to begin with). Dungeon Siege III isn't supposed to be those games, it's supposed to be unique and it truly is. I'm coming from the standpoint of judging Dungeon Siege for what it is, and it's great. I'm actually sad that I'm not going to be able to find something else quite like it!
  45. Jun 22, 2011
    This game has nothing to elevate it above average and to top it all off the control scheme is terrible. The customization is very limited. You only get 9 usable abilities for a character. The loot you find barely changes your character's appearance at all which is basically a bad design decision and flat out laziness in a loot based game. And a playthrough is about 8 hours long.

It's just
    a mindless and poor game. Do yourself a favor and play Titan Quest or Torchlight instead while you wait for Diablo 3. Expand
  46. Jun 30, 2011
    Dungeon Siege III is possibly worth a rent if you've already played all the classics in this genre and simply can't wait for the next Torchlight or Diablo, but that's about it... the game's not really meant for a single player; it's more for co-op or on-line... and the game's ridiculously linear, which is somewhat good because you can fast forward through all those agonizingly boring cut scenes and "just move forward" in the game to find your next quest... not really a lot of actual dungeons either... grinding isn't bad although with the character I played the standard boss fight strategy was a timed heal spell, attack, dodge, run away, repeat... graphics were decent and I used an Xbox360 controller (on my PC) which felt natural, although my character tended to waste time flourishing/finishing moves instead of dodging out of the way when I needed her to... there's no potions in this game either, so max out that healing spell ASAP... can I recommend DSIII? No, but it's not terrible. Expand
  47. Jun 22, 2011
    This game has nothing to do with DS series. Only good thing about the game is the gameplay graphics. Dialog and cinematic graphics are horrible. Voice acting is bad and story is not engaging at all, feel free to skip through all the dialogs, you won't miss a thing. Party is limited to 2 characters and there are only 4 characters to choose from. Combat is boring and repetitive, there are almost no side quests and the quests you do are always conveniently put on your path making this game the most linear RPG I've ever played. Also RPG elements like character development are almost non-existent, as there are more levels than options so you'll eventually pickup everything your choice is limited to the order you take them. I didn't try multiplayer that aspect might be fun but otherwise I'd skip this game. Expand
  48. Jun 21, 2011
    This game is incredible and one of the best co-op experiences I have had on PC in quite some time. The graphics are not just good or passable, they are great. If this game doesn't look good, then stop playing it on your grandma's computer. I actually walked my character backward so I could again see the brief reflection of the moon in a puddle in one scene. Cut scenes are good and voice actors use appropriate accents and emotion. Every quest is given through cut scene making the quests much more integrated into the story. Character design is far from cliche, with a magic user that is actually a fire spirit with a mysterious background, a female character with both short range and long range guns, and an old geezer with awesome arcane time-bending magic powered through a gauntlet. Plot development and story is more important than allowing fanboys to play dressup with their scantily-clad nighelf dolls. You have four characters to choose from, and the developers went the extra mile changing the story and cutscenes to reflect which character you are using and is present in your party. Music and atmosphere are awesome and work incredibly well to actually immerse the player within the story right from the beginning. In the opening scene, if you listen carefully you can actually hear screams of people very faintly as a manor house burns to the ground, raising the tension dramatically once you catch it. The combat system is a blast! Typical top-down RPG's require heavy investment in uber armor or your character is doomed to be the worthless side kick ranged healer/caster/archer. Not in this game. Each character is given a different "stance" that is more effective in either long or short range combat situations. The addition of the switchable stances make the fight more tactical as a mob you were trying to snipe suddenly turns and charges. Also, the armor and combat is balanced in such a way that most of the characters MUST use their dodge ability which makes the combat much more challenging, original and realistic. Learning to use dodge/block/heal effectively is important, and you cannot just spam heal potions or rely on 30 summoned wolves to fight for your lazy main character. Other reviews have pointed out that the skill tree is not the same as Diablo 2 or Titan's Quest. Everyone accepts that TQ was a Diablo clone and was made to hold us over 'til Diablo 3 gets released 20 years from now. That was not the intent with this game. Rather than copy or clone some other game, they developed a system that allows for modifying the combat style of the character while sticking to skills and abilities that actually make sense for the character. Katarina's bullets can be given the ability to ricochet, Anjali can heal from her fire Area Effect attack, and Lucas can add stuns to his charge attack. These are abilities and skills that make sense with the character design. Co-op is built and implemented very well. Start a new game or load an existing game. Hit a button in the menu and suddenly the game opens to either a public or private game. There is no obnoxious lobby, there is no waiting, and others can join or drop as they wish. You can even co-op on one machine if you have a controller (thank you). There is one serious flaw on co-op that hurts the game and looks like a lazy move on the developers part. If I host a game and others join, the ones who have joined have no way to save their progress on their system. The data is saved on the hosted system, but those that have joined are left out of the save feature. That is not to say they lose their progress as they can always come back to my hosted game at a later time and their character is still there with the same skills and equipment, but that is still a huge glaring flaw that can be blamed squarely on "console port", and could have easily been fixed by using the previous Dungeon Siege game save model. Boooo. They also could have tossed us PC gamers a bone with ten minutes worth of coding to include key mapping, but it doesn't harm the game much as this is not a game that requires 20 buttons to play. Each stance has three special abilities, and this is easily fixed by mapping the side and middle buttons of the mouse to "1,2, and 3". Problem solved. PC controls are simple: camera pans right and left with A and D, you walk forward/backward with W and S and your character fires at whatever your mouse is on when you click. Zoom in/out with Mouse wheel. There are times when you are firing at monsters off-screen using ranged characters, and I would have like to be able to zoom out a hair further. I cannot yet comment on the length of the game yet as I have not completed it, but I felt compelled to defend this game before completing it based on the amount of "i hatez this game. itz 0 cuz I hatedz the demo" reviews I saw here. Expand
  49. Jun 22, 2011
    Ok lets start here. If your expecting a Dungeon Siege game with this 3rd installment. Your not gonna get it with this title. What made DS 1&2 does not make it into 3. However so far of what I have played on it it seems to be a fairly solid RPG with really good graphics. Now back to what's not in the game if you were expecting DS3 to at least be somewhat like DS 1&2 1) Death - Don't die it's game over and back to last save point. 2) Save Points - They are in set area's you can not save and exit the game where ever you want. 3) Skills - You no longer can just use w/e weapon you want and build your character from their. The Hero you pick as your starting character will determine what abilities and gear you will be using. 4) Large groups - Nope not here. Party size is limited to 2 characters. 5) DS2 was fairly linear in terms of where you went especially compared to DS1. However that's nothing compared to how straight DS3 is. One of my most beloved aspects of DS1 was the world, and picking different ways to travel to various locations. 6) Controls are way different in this versus the others. 7) No potions. All in all it's not a bad game or rpg however I do dislike them using the Dungeon Siege name to sell their title. As pretty much everything that made Dungeon Siege what it is. Is not in DS3. This game is ridiculously short for an RPG even doing all the side quests. Not worth 50-60$ Maybe 10-15$ for it's horrid controls, bad camera action, and with how short it is Expand
  50. Jun 22, 2011
    A less than fantastic sequel to a fantastic game. The art and music is impressive. The story is average, the camera is clumsy, the level design is linear and the combat is mediocre. It is quite a short game. It is playable, but not all that fun, especially for fans of the genre.
  51. Jun 22, 2011
    I'm at a loss to start. The manual is devoid of important information. The abilities screen is not intuative. Abilities aren't clearly sorted. The should be sorted based on the stance name, not 1, 2 or 3 in a left to right fashion, the way people read... I think this game would be much more enjoyable as a melee character. For some reason I choose the hunter... as a hunter you cannot aim. Instead you have to look in the general direction and fire away. The computer AI chooses your target for you. You find yourself shooting the furtherest mob instead of the one pounding on you. This leads to substancial frustration, especially in boss fights like "the dapper gent", where you have to target mobs and structures. For some reason, you have to USE the e key to pick up drops. A complete nuisance to the game that serves no purpose as your inventory doesn't seem to have any limit restrictions. The loot in this game is horrible. I can't stress that enough, there's little varibility to it, you'll collect 6 or 7 of the same weapon over and over again. You can vender it for coin. The venders do offer a few pieces that look good, but there's a problem. The vendors don't distunguish between what your character can and cannot use. You can buy an awesome looking chest peice but never be able to equip it, because it wasn't intended for your class. The save game function is all console game... you have to find the location and save the game. If frustration is a lot of fun to you, then this game delivers 100%. If you want to have RPG fun, then pick up Witcher 2 or Dragon Age / Dragon Age 2, those games are much more rewarding for the same or cheaper price tag. Expand
  52. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive and enjoyable all the way through. Expand
  53. Jun 22, 2011
    I am unsure why there is so much negativity. pro: good graphics, doesn't crash, reasonable story.

cons: keyboard controls are awkward, can't change bindings. Long linear levels.

I have had quite a bit of fun with this game. More than dragon age 2 which I have sort of given up on. I didn't have to pay full price and I am certainly getting my moneys worth out of it. It has been so long
    since I played DS 1 and 2 I honestly can't remember them that well. Some people make out that they were great games, in my mind they were pretty average at best. Expand
  54. Mar 26, 2012
    If you played the demo, you probably thought the same thing I did: this is looking like a pretty forgettable game. Honestly, the first hour or two really is I think, especially when you look at the price tag associated with this game. I was able to get this game and the two prequels for $9.99 on a Steam sale, so I was content to give it another shot. I think the biggest issue with this game is that it fails to grip you in those first 15 minutes. If you stick around longer than that, then maybe you've gotten to the first town. At around the 30 minute mark you should be walking up to your first dungeon, and consequently the first real challenge the game offers. It was right about there that I really began to enjoy the gameplay. Also, gamepad controls for this are much more superior than the PC controls imo. It just translates better. I think the media's review of the game at around a 70 average would have been fair, IF they hadn't released the game at full new game price. Honestly, I don't see the value there for it. Had they started off at $29.99, I think that would had gone over much better for the rest of us. As it stands, there's some good value here at a decent sale price of $19.99 if you are in the mood for a psudo-Diablo style RPG. If you can snag it for less, and you've enjoyed games of this genre before, I recommend picking this one up for sure. I'm giving it an 8/10 since I am thoroughly enjoying it now that I've got momentum going with it, but since this game has been voted down so bad by the user score I've decided to bump it up to 10/10 to influence the ranking a bit; I don't think it deserves less than 6. Anyway, snag this on sale at the next opportunity you can! Expand
  55. Jun 24, 2011
    There isn't very much to say about this game. It's ok. It's not bad, but it doesn't do anything for the genre. But then, I don't think it really tries to.
  56. Jun 21, 2011
    Ok, so this isn't exactly the Dungeon Siege game everyone's been waiting for. However, if we look past that, it is a pretty good game in its own right. The biggest strength of Dungeon Siege 3 is the combat system. Between two different resources, changing stances, rolling around to avoid hits, and well designed boss fights, combat is a lot of fun. In fact, it's no doubt the most fun aspect of the game. And is there anything more important in a hack and slash action RPG than combat? I would say no.

Unfortunately, depending on how fast you're able to adapt, the camera controls and character controls can be quite annoying, especially at first. It's very much a matter of an individual opinion and playstyle, and opinions about game's controls will range from borderline unplayable to minor annoyance that's hardly noticeable after first 10 minutes. There is a demo available, which is more than enough to check whether you can get past game's control scheme or not.

If you're in the camp of people who don't find the controls to be a big problem, and can enjoy the game for what it is, not for what hardcore Dungeon Siege fans expected it to be, it will reward you with a very satisfying hack and slash action, that's far more involving and exciting than average action RPG.

Sadly, the game isn't as long as it could have been, finishing the entire game takes about 15 hours of gameplay. The game lacks New Game+ as well, which is a disappointment. However, despite all that, it's a very satisfying experience while it lasts.
  57. Jun 22, 2011
    I've been a fan of the Dungeon Siege series since it came out way back then. I've been anticipation DS 3 for the longest of times, I was just psyched to return to this universe. And then the demo came out. And I've never been so disappointed in a game until this. The controls are so damned utterly abysmal that it makes the rest of the game impossible to enjoy or approach objectively. Is the story great? Possibly, but who the hell cares if you're struggling to get your character around because of the **** un-remappable control scheme. This is the poster child for consolization. A menu based inventory! For a series that is one of the greatest in the Diablo-like genre! If you left click on an enemy, you swing right then and there. You don't walk up to the enemy, then swing, because that would make sense, and apparently something that makes sense just doesn't fly at Obsidian. Need another example? You can auto-loot gold, but you can't auto-loot items. More? You can't hover on a library to see if it has a book, you need to walk to it to see if something pops up. And then you can't click on it, you have to press E. And then there's no new game+, skills are **** there's no party system worth speaking of, etc... To add insult to injury, the game developers PROMISED that it wouldn't be a cheap console port. I mean look at these quotes [http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/08/obsidian-talks-dungeon-siege-iiis-pc-centricity-stability-issues/]: 1) "The Obsidian staffer told Eurogamer that the PC version of Dungeon Siege III will not be a straight-up console port." 2) "There are certain things that are more PC-centric" he said. "The input and the controls lean more towards the PC." 3) â Expand
  58. Jun 22, 2011
    Why so many bad words? This is a great game with tonnes of potential. I am looking forward to the dlc packs when they get released! Well worth the money on Steam as I got the first 2 games free just before the pre-order deal expired :-D
  59. Jun 21, 2011
    Attention: this is not a hack and slash in the strictest of senses for several reasons. If you want a diablo/TQ/DS clone, then don't buy this game. If you want a fun, pretty, engaging Action RPG that will challenge you, this is the game for you. The controls are decent, even though they are not remappable. They take some getting used to, but once you do, there is very little in the game to prevent you from enjoying it thoroughly, so all the ragers reviewing must have two left hands. Honestly, it baffles me that so many people encounter so many problems with what is basically a very classical control scheme. I feel that had this game been made under any other name than Dungeon Siege 3, it would be taking a lot less flak. This is a successor to theses games only in name and setting, otherwise, it's a step up, unless you enjoyed the mind numbing borefest that were the first two games after one playthrough. To each his own, I guess. Expand
  60. Jun 22, 2011
    This game missed its goal for me. After a few minutes of playing and clunking around the screen, I figured out that the saying still goes : If it's not meant for PC alone, don't touch it! Even on a PS3 I wouldn't bother with it, bland and regular at best all around. Sad example of how publicity hypes a product for its appearance,not its content.
  61. Jun 23, 2011
    Very disappointed from Square Enix again. You have to choose a class, gone are the days of developing your player based on how you play. You have to play a canned player. Graphics are on par for consoles, controls like a console. Narrow maps. You will enjoy this if you like canned player, click and kill, gamepad games.
  62. Jun 24, 2011
    This game is horrible. The PC controls are obviously not meant for human players and I really wish game devs would focus more on their human customer base and not the martian ones. No, I won't use a gamepad on a computer. I'm not used to play on a gamepad and any game would have to be damn good to make me start using one.

This game is NOT a Dungeon Siege. The prequels were nice but I
    couldn't play this one for more than 30 minutes. It's really that bad. Nothing more than a rushed, lazy game made to squeeze some dough from the fools, like me, who bought it.

Don't waste your money on it. Although I buy alot of games, I haven't played anything so horrible in the last year.
  63. Jun 27, 2011
    Dungeon Seige 3 shares little in common with the previous 2 games in the series other than it's name and the fact that there are some dungeons that need sieging. This game is more of a hack and slash action game like Gauntlet Legends or Legends of Norrath. I'm finding the single player story enjoyable since I happen to own a PC gamepad. The Keyboard and Mouse controls are aweful and it seems like no one bothered to playtest how they worked. The online mode is terrible, with a top down shared camera that clutters the screen so much I often lose track of where my character is. The other downside is that you can't take your character into another person's game to earn loot and exp for yourself, playing online has you joining another person's story and you assuming control of one of the NPC players they have recruited, (and hope they choose some good skills). Expand
  64. May 28, 2012
    Good game from the developers of Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. The game has an interesting plot, non-linear construction of the dialogues, moral dilemmas, which influences the further development of the plot and others qualities of classic RPG. The graphic is not perfect, but the textures and shadows are pretty. Soundtrack is unobtrusive.
    Cons - ugly controls and annoying
    monsters respawn. Expand
  65. Jun 24, 2011
    Not only the game has next to nothing in common with Dungeon Siege I and II, but it's just plain bad action RPG. Lame graphics and animations, horrible character development and equipment (no item sets in ARPG, what a joke), and game's interface is a nightmare. Overall, it's yet another pathetic attempt to use famous brand for selling an utter garbage to the players.
  66. Aug 26, 2011
    A confused and disjointed narrative attempts to deliver an incredibly bland story in this, the most disappointing rpg i've yet played.

graphically average, disappointing sound design add to the games seeming boredom with itself.

No real customization of your characters appearance and an unrewarding multiplayer system which seems to insist that you you ignore it completely for it's almost
    equally un-rewarding single player.

It's just bad, even for an obviously console focused rpg ported poorly across. Skip this, buy it's predecessors which I enjoyed far more then this when given it free for pre-purachasing this tremendous waste of time.
  67. Jun 25, 2011
    This game has got to have the worst voice acting of any X-box game ever ...... on the plus side all those people who bad mouthed Dragon Age II will now realise what a great polished game it really was.
  68. Jun 23, 2011
    Pure rubbish, it is so much like Fable - the look, the feel, the similar combat styles, the green experience orbs etc. The developers tried to combine a top down view with fable combat. The reason why no one has done this before is because they know IT DOESN'T WORK! The combat feels clunky and the controls aren't great at all. I'm a lefty and as far as the demo tells, there is no way to change your controls at all. And yeah the graphics are nice but the characters are damn plain and near emotionless. I entered a village in the demo and most of the npc villagers were just standing around doing f*** all, not even trying to act like real people. The leveling up system feels unessesarily complicated and the loot, I swear that all of the loot is the same! I expected to be able to pick up the guns and swords from slain enemies but you cant! You're locked into the class that you pick. And from what the demo has shown, you have no control over your companion/s whatsoever. I also couldnt find a way to heal my character. As far as i could tell there were no health potions or anything (if there is then the game didnt tell me), and so i just kept runnning into massive amounts of foes button mashing everywhere. But because combat is so bad and fast, you have no time to use tactics and so i found myself killed over ten times during the demo ending boss fight. Now because it was the demo i just kept respawning where i died, but it had me thinking "Well how the hell am i suppposed to do this fight properly in the real game?". Overall this is just ridiculous. I expected to be able to click on an enemy to attack him, but instead i have to rotate in his general direction and constantly click without aiming (not helped by the terrible lock on system). A top down view with this combat DOES NOT WORK! Its no fun and the loot feels boring. Nothing like its previous games. Expand
  69. Jun 21, 2011
    So much hate. People are complaining about how DS1 and 2 were sooo much better yet they probably haven't played those games in ages.

Nostalgia can fog the memory so I took a little journey on DS1 and 2 to rekindle my love for the games. I couldn't even get through 10 minutes of DS1 and I distinctly remember this game being amazing. DS2 was significantly better but all of the things people
    are ripping on DS3 about are IN DS2!!!

Stupid AI: Check - Horrible Camera: Check - Only a handful of skills per class: Check (In fact, there are MORE in DS3 than DS2 per class!!!) - Click on a mob and wait for it to die while chugging potions: Check.

Really, people need to get a grip before posting. A 0 is unacceptable for any game (unless it's about Justin Bieber). Any score below a 5 is just some butt hurt crybaby who thinks DS1 or 2 was better. That's it. On to the game - The controls DO suck in DS3, there's no avoiding that, but using the right click on the mouse and A and D to maneuver the camera is actually very nice after a few minutes and becomes second nature. Yes, you can only have 2 people in your party, but that's all you need. It's mean to be just you slashing away at monsters. Your partner is just there for kicks. Yes, that's nothing like DS1 and 2 but it's not bad. There's tons of loot, 9 usable skills, 10 talents, and 5 upgrades to each skill per character. That's way more than DS1 and 2. They have the archetype for warrior, ranger, combat mage, and crazy fire chick with a spear. It's a fun game. Multiplayer sucks because player 2 is boned but single player is a blast. Don't listen to the upset DS fanboys who all of the sudden come crawling out of the woodwork to cry foul. It's a solid 7 / 7.5 / 8 game depending on how you spend your time and I'd say worth the money.
  70. Jun 23, 2011
    The story is short, you can beat the game twice within a week, and the multiplay is broken, you cant use your customized characters to join others games, and your characters can "destroy" by others if you host game, coz your partner can fully customize your characters that you are not in control at the time. But the combat system is great, we have played point and click system for lots of years and now we have to try something new. Expand
  71. Jun 23, 2011
    Good graphics, good models, and on and offline co-op. For me these things definitly out weigh the story. I found the controls to be ok but I'm playing on the Xbox 360 not the PC so maybe thats why. I liked it thats all that matters to me.
  72. Jun 24, 2011
    I'm impressed by the graphics, there is something about the look that is really striking, and the gameplay challenge on hardcore is hard. PC controls are weird, sort of like old school keyboard flight sim, but you get used to them. Play the demo definitely, may not be to everyone's taste. I really like it.
  73. Jun 24, 2011
    So far the best Dungeon Siege game that has been released. While the controls might take some time to get used to, the game play is actually pretty fun. And if the mouse&keyboard setup is too much for you, you can always pick-up a controller. Graphics in the game are pretty good, the lighting and spell effects create a nice atmosphere when you are running through dungeons and getting some of that sweet sweet loot.

And trust me there's plenty of loot and monsters and on hardcore difficulty the boss fights will be challenging and still quite entertaining. Though if you expect that your characters look will change drastically with every different piece of loot, you will be disappointed. Especially the end game loot/equipment looks pretty sweet.

Even though the game doesn't last 40 hours, it does have 4 unique characters each with their own skill set adding some replay value. Also you might want to see how your choices in the game have an effect on Ehb. And there's always co-op. While it doesn't allow you to port your single player character into someone else's multiplayer game the co-op is fun. The system doesn't really encourage you to play with complete strangers, but with your online / real life buddies you can start the game from the very beginning and level that character just the way you like it and go through the story with them from the beginning to the end.
  74. Jun 24, 2011
    I see several reviews stating that the game has potential...potential is something that the demo should show. The game itself should deliver. If you based your vote on "potential" on a final product and not what it delivers, please don't have children as that kind of stupidity is bad for the rest of the planet. You wouldn't rate a steak dinner that was horrible a "10" if "the beef had potential." The controls are horrible and Obsidian knew this. They knew before the game was supposed to launch and deliberately disabled the key binding ability because there was a bug in it. So instead of fixing the problem, they rushed an unfinished product out the door to get it out on time. The only positive from buying this game is its one less company I have to consider for a quality product. I played it for about an hour after I bought it through Steam. I already uninstalled it. Nice waste of $50! Expand
  75. Jun 24, 2011
    OMG I cant believe I purchased this piece of worthless crap and gave obsidian my hard earned $50.00. What are game companies doing? do they NOT even test their junk before putting it on the market? i tried (operative word here) to play this game on the pc. There is no main map, so u have to follow the minimap in the upper corner of the screen which of course only shows you a couple of paces ahead of your location. The game is ugly, clunky, and just flat out does not make any navigational sense, and there is no key binding (what?) Please people, for the love of humanity ... if you haven't purchased this game DON'T! not for the pc anyway. Obsidian ... I want my money back and after this I will NEVER buy your games again. Expand
  76. Jun 25, 2011
  77. MGT
    Jun 25, 2011
    This game is totally AWful - The grapics are about the only good thing there is to this game. You can read my full review here: http://mygametake.com/profiles/blogs/hands-on-dungeon-siege-3
  78. Aug 28, 2011
    I will say up front that I just couldn't bring myself to play this one very much. It was basically not that fun, interesting or compelling. It didn't even strike me as connected to the original in any meaningful way. I think I put more hours into the original Dungeon Seige this week than I did the new one. That one is still mostly fun.
  79. Oct 2, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!! I cannot believe I actually had to pay money for this filth. The game gives me a head ache. It has a look and a feel that might be ok if you're 4 years old. The controls are so terrible that I had nightmares about them all night. So many good gaming principles were thrown out, only to be replaced by such clumsy and unintelligent **** that I am really wondering about the iq and mental health of everyone involved in creating this foul abomination. Playing the game feels like a task, as if you are a hamster running in a wheel never actually getting anywhere interesting. I'm not sure why this game is even supposed to be an RPG. There is no point and click, not really any normal skill tree, no character creation or development and what on god's green earth is wrong with the items? Oh yeah, and did I mention the sucky interface? The simplicity that worked so well for ds1 and ds2 has been replaced with stupidity. I would rather suck puke through a straw than play this game. Whatever you do, do not buy this game. Play the demo if you have to see for yourself but please do not reward the clowns that produced this garbage by actually buying it. Now I understand why it was half price on steam this weekend. Expand
  80. Jun 25, 2011
    Having completed all three Dungeon Siege games, I can say that I like this one as much as DS2, but not as much as DS1. DS3 misses in a lot of places (controls being the primary), and as with Dragon Age 2, this game was not true to the original. This is not a dungeon crawler, since the maps have no areas to explore (everything is tied to being on a quest), and while this is a departure from the original series, the game makes for a decent action-adventure; not a great one, but a decent one. When the game is run on a gampad, everything makes sense, and the action is smooth and sometimes frantic. The camera for this game is lacking, two-views were not enough to take me to my happy place, and with the quality of the models in the game I really wish I could have zoomed in more. The fixed character development, smacked of action-adventure games, and it really didn't help me get engaged with my toon. Loot was REALLY random, at level 6 I found a high-level orange gun at a vendor, I was able to equip it, and I used it all the way to endgame...The stats we easily gleaned from the retail price of the gear, so I felt no need to level my toon since they could use anything they found or bought, and I no reason to look at any loot below the price what I had equipped. The story was fine, and the boss fights were entertaining at normal and hard levels. This game is not a blockbuster, just a title that was released, had little thought put to it as a "PC Title", but had no bugs. Let's hope a patch comes out that allows people to overcome the controller issues.

Now for a SLAMMMMMMM!!!
    I can definitely say I will be avoiding any game Obsidian makes in the future, they have a 'special ability' with sequels that makes my stomach turn, and are a big reason behind Bioware/EA not releasing KOTOR 3 on it's own...Obsidian effectively killed the series with KOTOR2. Obsidian is clearly not on par with great design companies like Gas Powered Games (pausing for a moment of silence), and Bioware. If you didn't like DS3, tell Obsidian with your pocketbook. ABOUT PORTS:
    Not all ports are bad, but all ports had game pads in their past. To everyone out there complaining about the controls, you should consider buying an XB360 wired controller for your PC, they worked great in this game...Let's face it folks, many games get ported from consoles, and the only way to play these games is via the game pad. Mouse and keyboards are afterthoughts. If you don't like this don't buy console ports, or multi-platform released games (ones that share the release date with PC and consoles), because you will always be disappointed.

...and finally about misguided ratings...
    As for this game's ratings on meta-critic, the yays and nays are so off target that they are going to be ignored. If you rated a 10, but said something negative about the game, you blew it; and a 9 rating would have been hard to justify. If you rated this game less than a 3, then you are WAY off base...if you want to see a game that REALLY deserves a 3 or less, then look to Tenchu: Dark Secret for the DS or Bethesda's original Terminator game for PC (gives me shivvers just thinking back to those days). When you've played 1000's of games to completion...then you can start giving out scores from 3 to 0 and know that you where right in doing so.
  81. Jun 23, 2011
    My opinion is that most of these negative reviews are of jaded perceptions that hold little merit. Obsidian delivers another excellent "squeal". Yet here they are being stabbed with verbal abuse from the vast span of the internet! I beginning to feel sympathetic towards the gaming industry. It's a very competitive market. This is the world of entertainment nonetheless. Many groundbreaking games have been released in the past, thus causing the individuals who play them to become quite spoiled. Now, I'm not one to say; "No you must like everything!" You can either dislike or like products. It is your choice, the law of freewill dictates this to us. Developers have a certain mindset, and usually they feel their methods are the correct way. There will be those who disagree, of course. They should be constructive with criticism and analysis. Not throw a fit a-la-Dragon age II, and become the next anti-corporate activist. Okay, maybe that was a little harsh, but I digress. On to Dungeon Siege III, the latest game in a trilogy of action-rpgs from the mind of Chris Taylor. Well, he consulted on this one! Whatever, his touch was there even if it was being lived vicariously through Obsidian. The combat is fast paced, the engine is streamlined and fluid, storyline immersion is present. Everything a rpg creme-de-la-Chris Taylor would have. Controls are bit wonky, the AI is clearly scripted, yet holds some level of difficulty. The level design is bit darkly artistic, but fits the theme. There's clearly a lack of mouthwatering abilities/skills. The co-op is slightly iffy, but doesn't ruin your experience. At least it shouldn't. It has multiplayer co-op, which works! Dungeon Siege II had some serious issues there back in 05/06. It's a well done action-rpg game, which though not incredibly stand-out from it's predecessor's it's worth the purchase and play. Even if your new to the series, try this game. Giving it a modest B rating. Expand
  82. Sep 16, 2011
    I played the demo and that was enough. Honestly, the story didn't seem bad and the graphics looked nice. The downside has been said before: this is a console port. An OBVIOUS port. It's as if they didn't change anything for the PC. The result is an interface that is poor. And not just the fighting controls which are horrible but the rest of the interface is buried under too many clicks. This is not the first RPG ever done by Obsidian but it sure feels like it; I don't know what they were thinking. It's sad because I actually wanted to like this game. But I won't be buying it. Expand
  83. Oct 1, 2011
    It's a coneole piece of trash that should never have been released on PC. The only way I'd buy this was if it was in the bargain bin for
  84. Jun 22, 2011
    I don't think I can write all in depth, fair review but from the amount of game that I could stomach I realised it is a p.o.s that looks and feels nothing more than a mod that is mad by amateur guys! Obsidian gtg!!!! They consistently produce mediocre or even worse titles but seriously, by now I thought they would clean up their act. Horrible game, doesn't deserve a cent!
  85. Jun 7, 2013
    Having never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the game really starts to pick up and only gets better and better from then on.

To begin with, the player gets a choice to play the game with one of the 4 characters. It might seem like a step back considering there’s no character creation feature, but these 4 characters really do cover all of the main archetypes we have Lucas, who is a paladin-like tank, Anjali, who is pretty much a pyromancer through and through, Katarina, who is a thief-like ranged fighter, and Reinhart, who is a scholar utilising all sorts of arcane sorceries. One of the impressive features of this game is that once you’ve chosen your character, the other 3 characters will become your companions during the game after certain story points. You can only have one companion at a time, but once you have them in your ‘party’ so to speak, you can swap between them at any time outside of combat.

Throughout the game you will level up and learn new abilities. There are only 9 abilities per character, but each of those can then be improved via the use of skills, which mold the said abilities in either of two possible directions. For example Lucas’ shield pummel ability can be given more damage or more chance to knock down the opponents, and so on. And finally, each character also has talents that can be levelled up. These are more like passive abilities, which cause your character to have higher attack, or better defence, or to simply gain more chances of healing upon damaging the enemies, and so on. What’s even better is that as you go through the game, you are choosing skills and talents not only for your character, but also for your companions, making their fighting style more suitable to your liking.

Apart from levelling up and gaining abilities, other standard RPG elements are present too, such as inventory management and having to optimize your gear and that of your companions as you travel through various areas and face various opponents. Although it can be fun finding cool equipment and making your character use it, the whole inventory management can feel like a bit of a drag during the times when your inventory gets full and you need to discard useless items, because we all know, in the world of RPGs, hoarding is one of our favourite hobbies.

The game mostly plays in an isometric perspective, similar to games like Diablo and Titan Quest. The combat mechanics are generally good, although the battles can seem to fluctuate between too easy and too hard at times, since the game doesn’t really feature any potions or other healing items. Any healing you get is either from your abilities or from the orbs that the enemies drop upon getting killed. So in essence, the more aggressive you are in battle, the better are your chances of staying alive, or at least that’s how I found it when playing the game as Lucas. This in turn gives forth some rather challenging boss battles, as you will find yourself fighting for your own survival.

Perhaps what I liked the most about Dungeon Siege III is how well it executes the concept of making your own choices and decisions, and having to experience what happens as a result. A lot of those tend to occur during the dialogues, which take the player to an over-the-shoulder view and add to the immersion. There are plenty of decisions thrown at you throughout the game some small, others big. The ending itself pretty much includes the outcomes of every decision you’ve made in the game, which should make the player curious as to what would happen had they made other choices.

Overall the game feels fun and engaging. Lots of control is given over your character’s skills, as well as the skills of your party. Additionally, good voice acting and the presence of moral choices make it more than just your typical hack and slash sword and sorcery RPG.
  86. Sep 30, 2011
    Everything about the games visuals and gameplay are fairly good. But, the one thing that really irritated me is the limited amount of character customizations. RPGs in essence are really all about creating your own hero. The premade characters that your stuck with are nice and okay, but if you really dont feel an attachment to the character your playing in a RPG so then you really start not to care about playing the game. I think the games entire concept is outdated and belongs in 2006-07. Expand
  87. Jun 24, 2011
    As others have noted, I too am unclear as to why there is such an unmitigated flow of hatred for this title. Anyone rating this title lower than a 6 needs their head examined. For instance, a score of 3 would put it on par with the Wii's "Babysitting Mama" title. And fools are throwing 0's around, are you kidding me? Let's get it right, 0's are for completely broken and unplayable titles. The graphical polish alone makes this title deserving of a 4 -5. The controls are not completely broken, I don't know what that griping is all about, no it's not as point and click as Diablo, but... who said it was going to be? Use your keyboard and mouse and it's fine. There's a fairly deep character building system here. It's not just a talent tree that you put points into. There are multiple abilities that you unlock, once unlocked you can put points into them in one of two ways generally leaning the skill towards offense or defense. Abilities can be "mastered" allowing you to perform even more powerful versions of those abilities with different effects than normal. The pace, though generally a little slow, can get quite manic in large battles. The fact that you can't just click click click spam spells or attacks through combat is refreshing; you need to be a participant in battle in order to restore your focus (mana) and block attacks (so you don't get your ass beat) There is no potion quaffing here, the best you can do is your character's heal over time spell. I guess I can't really say anything that hasn't been said, check out Game Informer's review, it's pretty legit. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE HATERS, this title definitely belongs in the 7-8 range, which is what you'll see from nearly all professional critics. The title is solid, it's not broken, and while it doesn't do anything amazingly well, it doesn't do anything completely wrong either. There is room for improvement, but as it stands it's an enjoyably fun dungeon romp, especially with friends. Expand
  88. Jul 6, 2011
    Having been a fan of the DS series, I could not wait to lay my hands on 3 when it came out. Oh how I wish I came here to read the reviews first, but typically, sequels, even bad sequels, do not deviate from the game too much. That has not been the case with DS3...the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. This game first and foremost is a console game...why they even bothered to package it for the PC is beyond me. I agree with other comments that if this were not being labeled as a DS game, it probably would have gotten better reviews. Although a solid game in and of itself, it should never have gotten the DS title. The only reason I even gave it a 3 was because it entertained my son for 2 days during our move, and was a good babysitter. But I bought the game for us to play coop and sadly, the replay value just is not there... Expand
  89. Jul 1, 2011
    This game had beautiful graphics to it but that is honestly about the extent of it. The game was VERY short for the price tag that the company was asking for it. I would ask around 19.99 for this game and that is being generous. It had a somewhat ok story line that ended all to quickly unlike the past dungeon sieges that kept you playing for hours. The transitions of the story were HORRIBLE as if no imagination what so ever but to simply draw out a picture of something and post words to it. This game can be gone through in less than one day without breaks easily. The controls were absolutely horrible!!!! I did not get used to the controls up until almost the end of the game. For someone looking to blow some money for NOTHING it is great. For someone looking for a really great hard core game you can enjoy for many hours, It is NOT for you. They have seriously let me along with I am sure many others down that truly expected something better from the dungeon siege series. Expand
  90. Jul 3, 2011
    for the 6 people who rated it 10/10 , come on now... that is absurd.
    there is noway this game is a perfect 10 for 10, even if you do like it the graphics alone perfect?
    game of the year? that is also crazy talk
  91. Jul 7, 2011
    I bought this game thinking it would be fun multi-player, even after I tried the demo, which was stupid. The multi-player portion of the game is awful, for PC anyway. The whole game is awful, I logged in about an hour trying to play multi-player with a buddy and haven't loaded it up since, bye bye $50.
  92. Jul 10, 2011
    Intended specifically for those who ask: "WHY ALL THE NEGATIVITY?"

This game is a spit in the eye of fans of all kinds. Literally. Let me explain:

DS1 was a great game: you literally started out as a farmer who went bashing heads with his/her pitchfork/hoe/whatever crude tool. On your way you met tons of other characters who you could recruit into your party as peers, thus making it
    essentially a squad-oriented action RPG game, with characters improving their skills and attributes by actually using them, mostly in combat. The combat was semi-automatic, with the player issuing orders as to what enemies to attack, who to move back for healing, what group formation to assume, etc. It was like an action-oriented baldur's gate in 3D (with incredible graphics for that time), with a simple, linear story and a varied, albeit linear world with non-respawning mobs, with a reasonable replayability value.

DS2 set the game in a different place in the same world, took what made DS1 great and made it even better: improved graphics, added talent trees, better group and pet management and controls, adding diablo2-style waypoints, character-specific sidequests, respawning mobs (again, diablo2-style) and incredibly fun LAN multiplayer that was stained only by horrible internet connection problems via GameSpy. It also had great replayability by offering additional difficulty modes (like Diablo-esque "normal-nightmare-hell"), each additional difficulty mode adding 1 more character slot to your party. YAY!

DS3? The only thing it has in common with those two is a few names here and there. - Groups gone.
    - Pets gone.
    - Combat has changed from "passive tactical realtime group control" to a "active single-character battle with the controls".
    - Completely redesigned and horribly stunted controls for PC with no f***ing customization option!
    - Character creation/progression completely redesigned and horribly simplified.
    - Completely linear and very NARROW world. DS1+2 relied on linearity for progression and the world itself was vast and varied.
    - Pathetic itemization.
    - Multiplayer is ridiculously laughable.
    - Industrial-age Britain? Gremlins?! ROBOTS?!!
    +- An average story.
    - An average story/background combining elements from DS1 lore with unrelated DS2 lore, adding immolated women, Gremlins and ROBOTS for f***'s sake.
    + The humour was mostly okay.
    + Better graphics.

It if hadn't been named "Dungeon Siege", I could have easily seen it as a game with a 6-7 score. The graphics are good, voice acting was okay (why are there so many people with strange - read "Slavic" - accents in this game?) the humour often made me laugh, I don't mind the style of the cutscenes, and there are bits and pieces of the game that I really liked and enjoyed. Yes, it could have been longer, the controls better, etc. That didn't bother me all that much. Well, it did bother me but it wouldn't have, if I hadn't been constantly reminded of the fact that it's supposed to be a "Dungeon Siege" game. The horribly cobbled together lore, the characters constantly referencing names and/or places from the previous games simply gave me no pause. This game is NOT a successor of DS1+2 in any way, shape or even form.

And that's why it's a spit in the eye of fans.
  93. Jul 10, 2011
    If they wanted to make castlevania meets the witcher, that's all fine and good but DON"T call it Dungeon Siege III. The practice of hijacking franchise names to rob and mislead the fans of good quality earlier PC titles has just got to stop. This is a mediocre at best, totally linear console game dressed up like a good old fashion PC loot crawler. Why they couldn't just stick the damn established formula, or just come up with a new name for whatever this is, is totally beyond me. Don't' believe the hype, It's NOT a sequel. Expand
  94. Jul 19, 2011
    Thank god for Steam who released a demo version for this game. Tried it and got disgusted with it. DS III is really an insult to the DS series. I strongly recommend potential buyers to try out the demo version before landing it.
  95. Jul 21, 2011
    A disappointing, frustrating return to the DS franchise will leave you crying in your gilded gauntlets. This is yet another example of an outstanding PC genre bastardised in order to fit the square peg in the console round hole. Before you label me a console basher I have an XBox and its a great machine for certain genres, but this is not one of them. Single player frustrations include appaling camera angles with no free zoom levels, you have 2 levels of zoom, too close and whhooaaaa!! to close. Overegging of the graphical effects create an level of utter confusion at times that left me unable to find my mouse pointer. Cut scenes are too many, too long and embarrasingly poor graphically. The story is short circa 7-8 hours, being bulked out by hinting at replaying it 4 times using each hero....err no thanks! Also this is the "A-Team" of games where none of the boss characters actually die.....oh political correctness gone mad! Initially controls were non mappable but thankfully that has been fixed. Pets are gone, no more donkey or wolf to help you, nurture and advance. No more chests to store your loot and even the transmute spell has been dumbed down in order to cater for 3 year olds. No health potions and weapons, armor and other goodies are far less exciting and frequent. Multiplayer wise its a total washout for me. Remember the glorious freedom you used to have to split off and nip back to town to flog stuff, buy potions, have a pee, make a cuppa? GONE. The game featured the tag line "Together We are Stronger" basically the get out for the fact you can't free roam anymore. Its a huge disappointment for me, there's no sense of freedom and you cant even get offscreen for respite if you're low on health, you're just stuck in this restricted frame of "un-zoom-outedness" Add to this the fact that you can just join the game at level 30 with a new character, get pimped up to level 30 and complete the game 20 mins later and wheres the sense of achievement gone? Character development is firmly in the bin. I could go on for another 500 words nitpicking at this game but I think its had enough of my time already. Move on! Thanks Microsoft/Square Enix for crushing the life from an old friend and leaving him dieing in the gutter. Expand
  96. Jul 21, 2011
    This game is so horrible, i just had to register to write this "review". i am a die-hard dungeonsiege 1 and 2 fan, i spent half of my university time playing these games with friends. and of course i bought DS3 without playing the demo or reading/waiting for reviews, after all, it's DUNGEON SIEGE and must be good, right? riiiight?

well sadly the controls (even after patch) and the
    camera movements (why do you limit us to two zoom modes omfg ?????) are horribly bad, the dumbed-down xp/leveling system is a joke...
    me and my friends didn't even start playtesting the coop mode, but reading other reviews give us a good hint we would just get more upset at this huge pile of frustration.

if we wanted to buy a CONSOLE GAME we would buy a console. this was a real waste of money and i whish i wouldn't have bought the steam version, then at least i could have second-hand sold it.

uninstalled now, and i hope i find a way to remove it from my games library. VERY disappointed ex-fan!
  97. Jul 23, 2011
    This game was an utter disappointing. I remember when dungeon siege 2 came out and it was really good but always in the shadow of Diablo. But it had it's unique aspects to it which made it interesting and fun to play. This game is unacceptable, the controls are horrible. The way they have their inventory set up makes it look like something that came out of a horror movie and items disappear after one use. This game deserves a "-10" due to its lack of diversity and terrifying controls. Very, Very disappointed. Expand
  98. May 19, 2012
    I'm new to Dungeon Siege so I don't know how this game is different from the old ones. But I find it entertaining, with a gamepad, this game gives Diablo-type feeling; Hack-and-slash style without using much brain power :D which I love it. But the skill system is not good enough, there are 9 skills for each character, but you will end up using one or two skills repeatably, which is boring sometimes. The plot is believable though a bit simple... Char parameters are confusing, I can't tell which is better between Attack and Will, but it seems to me that there is no difference on those parameters.. the rate you kill monsters seems similar for all combination. Expand
  99. Jan 5, 2012
    Probably the worst controls I have ever come across is a game, completely unintuitive, and you can't even remap keys. What a waste of time this game is.
  100. Aug 19, 2011
    This is a game that was worth pre-ordering for the added bonus of the first two games in the series. Looking back at those, I personally believe this game is an improvement, as they've finally added a little RPG elements to the hack and slash carnage. However, I don't believe this game is a major enough improvement for today's capabilities. All in all, it's the kind of game that's quite fun to play once through and never touch again. Expand

1. Oct 26, 2011
    One of the biggest differences in this game is that you exert a lot of control over your main character.
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    Ultimately, Dungeon Siege III is an easy-to-play popcorn journey into the classic action-RPG genre, hitting every checkbox. There is little innovation here, but it offers plenty of examples of how good design and development practices can make a derivative game enjoyable - and how a pretty severely console-designed game can be adjusted to feel largely right on a PC.
    Don't be discouraged by the slow and dumb beginning of the game – you'll be rewarded by many hours of fun. Strong story and cooperative multiplayer are more than worth your attention. [Issue#207]