Dungeon Siege III PC

4.6

1. Jul 31, 2014
    I see lots of hate for Dungeon Siege 3 here, but paradoxically, this is much more interesting than the first two click-fest Diablo clones that bored me quite a lot in their days. Interesting characters, important decisions in branching dialog lines, maybe way too traditional, but well-formed story. The problem is with the game mechanics that have been too consolized, which is fixable withI see lots of hate for Dungeon Siege 3 here, but paradoxically, this is much more interesting than the first two click-fest Diablo clones that bored me quite a lot in their days. Interesting characters, important decisions in branching dialog lines, maybe way too traditional, but well-formed story. The problem is with the game mechanics that have been too consolized, which is fixable with a good controller, but even then, in this day and age, this kind of battle mechanics just isn't good enough anymore with complex and responsive fighting mechanics in gems like Dark Souls, this feels really subpar, add very chaotic inventory system, overall not very intuitive UI and you got a serious problem. Another problem I see is in the choice of the title, this game has basically nothing to do with previous ones and it only adds to the hate from the fans of previous Dungeon Sieges, newcomers won't like to get into it either as they didn't play previous chapters, all would be much better if this was completely new title and new IP. But in the end, mainly thanks to the story, my final impression were still quite positive. 6/10 Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    Obsidian puts the RPG in Action RPG, however navigating your way through the world of Ehb in this iteration is a tad cumbersome. A fiddly interface, uninspired level design and ridiculously hard battles holds the game back.
  3. Jul 1, 2011
    Bland, forgettable, generic: this is DS3. Ironically, on paper DS3 sounds good: nice combat, nice graphics, lots of loot, and a story with choices. In reality, the combat is clunky. Worst PC controls EVAR, no joke. The loot and inventory system is tedious. The story is hilarious in how seriously it takes itself...too bad nobody else takes it seriously. But at least the graphics are nice,Bland, forgettable, generic: this is DS3. Ironically, on paper DS3 sounds good: nice combat, nice graphics, lots of loot, and a story with choices. In reality, the combat is clunky. Worst PC controls EVAR, no joke. The loot and inventory system is tedious. The story is hilarious in how seriously it takes itself...too bad nobody else takes it seriously. But at least the graphics are nice, hah. Truth is Diablo 2, Titan's Quest, and Torchlight all do everything better. DS3 is just a throw-away game. A real shame too...it could have been something special. Expand
  4. Oct 10, 2011
    if this game is not dungeon siege, it's actually OK. Despite the awkward control on PC, I found it actually quite enjoyable to play through. The story is well done and the closure which gives you a summary for the choices made in the game is satisfying. The combat is a standard hack & slash plus more actions oriented elements. Most RPG elements have been significantly reduced in scope, atif this game is not dungeon siege, it's actually OK. Despite the awkward control on PC, I found it actually quite enjoyable to play through. The story is well done and the closure which gives you a summary for the choices made in the game is satisfying. The combat is a standard hack & slash plus more actions oriented elements. Most RPG elements have been significantly reduced in scope, at least when compared to first two dungeon siege games. There are really only a small handful of active skills to select and a very limited variety in items/drops. while the game is fun in its own unique way, the simplistic nature of the game warrants it only in a mediocre title. Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    This is the first Dungeon Siege game that I have played and I really did enjoy it. The story, graphics, fighting, and character customization were all well done. Unfortunately, for everything this game does right, you will only remember it for what it did wrong... the camera. This is hands down the most frustrating thing you will encounter outside of a few annoyingly difficult bosses. TheThis is the first Dungeon Siege game that I have played and I really did enjoy it. The story, graphics, fighting, and character customization were all well done. Unfortunately, for everything this game does right, you will only remember it for what it did wrong... the camera. This is hands down the most frustrating thing you will encounter outside of a few annoyingly difficult bosses. The camera angles tend to be almost directly overhead and always seem to rotate around to the worst viewpoint possible. Maybe the camera is only a co-op issue, but be warned. Expand
  6. Sep 16, 2011
    I played the demo and that was enough. Honestly, the story didn't seem bad and the graphics looked nice. The downside has been said before: this is a console port. An OBVIOUS port. It's as if they didn't change anything for the PC. The result is an interface that is poor. And not just the fighting controls which are horrible but the rest of the interface is buried under too many clicks.I played the demo and that was enough. Honestly, the story didn't seem bad and the graphics looked nice. The downside has been said before: this is a console port. An OBVIOUS port. It's as if they didn't change anything for the PC. The result is an interface that is poor. And not just the fighting controls which are horrible but the rest of the interface is buried under too many clicks. This is not the first RPG ever done by Obsidian but it sure feels like it; I don't know what they were thinking. It's sad because I actually wanted to like this game. But I won't be buying it. Expand
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    Ive loved the dungeon siege series. The top view hack n slash with obsene amounts of loot flying all over the screen is pretty fun. The reason i give Dungeon Siege 3 a 6 is well, hmm. This game isnt really at all like DS 2 or 1 the combat i found was quite slow and kinda awkward. I found the camera was far to zoomed in and you didnt really get a full view of your surroundings. The voiceIve loved the dungeon siege series. The top view hack n slash with obsene amounts of loot flying all over the screen is pretty fun. The reason i give Dungeon Siege 3 a 6 is well, hmm. This game isnt really at all like DS 2 or 1 the combat i found was quite slow and kinda awkward. I found the camera was far to zoomed in and you didnt really get a full view of your surroundings. The voice overs were ok, the game length was ok, the characters were ok... nothing really special here, just a run of the mill adventure game with nothing really else to it. Im trying to think of something profound that makes this game special but theres really nothing... : / its about worth paying 15-20 bucks for, thats it *shrug* Expand
  8. ave
    Apr 25, 2015
    It's hard for me to be kind to Dungeon Siege III mostly because it took me about ten hours of "not-really-fun" time to understand the gameplay and adjust accordingly. I guess it comes from the fact the game has been design for console and not PC.

The "wall of uninviting gameplay" featured controls to remap to the keyboard, hard to decipher stats, forced choice on skills and buffs, weird combat moves and talk sessions with bland characters.

Once passed that, it was possible for me to "play" the game but not really "enjoy" it ; unlike Dungeon Siege I & II that featured the one and only gameplay element I love in the serie : the squad. Shame.
  9. Mar 11, 2012
    Seriously, all the hate? I loved DS II (cmon, the scope was epic) and know for sure this game isn¨t anything like it, but to give it anything below five is not objective. It NEVER crashes, period; skill usage and combat are smooth and all the mechanics function perfectly; music is decent and both the voice acting and graphic well above average. Of course, it helps if you realiseSeriously, all the hate? I loved DS II (cmon, the scope was epic) and know for sure this game isn¨t anything like it, but to give it anything below five is not objective. It NEVER crashes, period; skill usage and combat are smooth and all the mechanics function perfectly; music is decent and both the voice acting and graphic well above average. Of course, it helps if you realise straight away that it IS a console action game, and all the drawbacks are there: you need some time to adapt to the controls, and they never feel natural to a PC gamer; there is no pause button, and no potions - you need to dodge and block. I absolutely disagree on the customization issue: there is a VERY good chance to customize your character through gear stats, allowing you to focus on crits, overall damage, special stats, or survivability. Depending on theis, your preferred set of skills alter as well. However, abilities and type of gear are fixed to a character class (so that only warrior may use swords, and no other class may learn warrior's abilities - unlike classic Dungeon Siege). Overall, It's a decent console-ported action dungeon crawler. The gameplay has nothing to do with the "previous" DS games, so be warned. Also, the length is somewhat an issue - even with two playthroughs, it didn't take me longer than 20 hours. Expand
  10. Jun 27, 2011
    Dungeon Seige 3 shares little in common with the previous 2 games in the series other than it's name and the fact that there are some dungeons that need sieging. This game is more of a hack and slash action game like Gauntlet Legends or Legends of Norrath. I'm finding the single player story enjoyable since I happen to own a PC gamepad. The Keyboard and Mouse controls are aweful and itDungeon Seige 3 shares little in common with the previous 2 games in the series other than it's name and the fact that there are some dungeons that need sieging. This game is more of a hack and slash action game like Gauntlet Legends or Legends of Norrath. I'm finding the single player story enjoyable since I happen to own a PC gamepad. The Keyboard and Mouse controls are aweful and it seems like no one bothered to playtest how they worked. The online mode is terrible, with a top down shared camera that clutters the screen so much I often lose track of where my character is. The other downside is that you can't take your character into another person's game to earn loot and exp for yourself, playing online has you joining another person's story and you assuming control of one of the NPC players they have recruited, (and hope they choose some good skills). Expand
  11. Aug 19, 2011
    This is a game that was worth pre-ordering for the added bonus of the first two games in the series. Looking back at those, I personally believe this game is an improvement, as they've finally added a little RPG elements to the hack and slash carnage. However, I don't believe this game is a major enough improvement for today's capabilities. All in all, it's the kind of game that's quiteThis is a game that was worth pre-ordering for the added bonus of the first two games in the series. Looking back at those, I personally believe this game is an improvement, as they've finally added a little RPG elements to the hack and slash carnage. However, I don't believe this game is a major enough improvement for today's capabilities. All in all, it's the kind of game that's quite fun to play once through and never touch again. Expand
  12. Oct 15, 2011
    It took a week with a horrible flue for me to give DS III one more chance. Given my previous low score I was not expecting much from this game. Turns out that was a good thing.
    Dungeon Siege III is typical fantasy tripe. Swords and mages; lots of enemies and loot. Buried somewhere beneath all of the hacking/slashing/blasting action is some semblance of a story, or so it seemed in the beginning. On the surface, however, DS III is just another action RPG. And that is not a good thing, since compared the genre at large, it does not stack up well against its modern brethren. .
    DS III lacks the shine and polish of other ARPG titles. Graphics are somewhat dated, and animations are stiff, clunk and repetitive in the extreme. Combat, a major feature of this game, is good but not great. And the camera...the camera is awful. Either a distant, top down view, or some hybrid of top down and almost-but-not-quite over the shoulder, the camera always leaves your eyes straining to see just a little further ahead despite its built-in limitations in this regard. Despite playing for more than 20 hours I never got used to that camera.
    As with Fallout: New Vegas the technical side of things is clearly not Obsidian's strength. Despite their having fixed numerous issues with DS III, some things simply cannot be improved. But what DS III lacks in technical superiority it makes up for in writing.
    See, it turns out there really is a story. Buried under all of that largely useless loot and repetitive hacking and slashing, are numerous choices. Do you save someone or let them die? Improve the lot of a major city or let it flounder? Negotiate new working contracts for downtrodden citizens or let them work as slaves? All of these choices have consequences, though most are only revealed in the ending video following the game's conclusion, making them immersive if somewhat arbitrary.
    And as for that ending...it's good, if you can stomach the truly terrible, JRPG style boss battle that serves as prelude to the ending. Shameless ripping both Final Fantasy and Glenn Cook's The Black Company novels at the same time - and making a predicable mess from the combination of the two - the ending boss battles are some of the worst I have seen since I swore off JRPG games because of, well, terrible boss battles like this one. This multi-stage, oh-it-got-away again frustration fest feels as if it will never end, and it goes from bad to worse at least three times. It is arbitrary, immersion-breaking and easily the worst thing about a not-very-good game to begin with.
    All in all DS III was worth the playthrough for me. I was sick, Skyrim wasn't out yet and I got DS III for free with a new gaming PC so the playthrough cost me nothing. I am glad I played it, but I would not do so again. The graphics are dated, animations outdated and stiff, there is too much useless loot (have we not tired of this yet) and the boss fights are truly awful for the most part. But underneath all of that there remains something endearing about this paragon of an era almost gone in terms of action RPG's.
    Get it if its extremely cheap and you are very into these sorts of games. Otherwise, pass on this one.
  13. Oct 19, 2014
    Dungeon Siege III, while not stellar, is a bit underrated or otherwise suffers unjustly from its departure from the original games of old. Those had more of a Diablo-like interface, with top down, mouse point&click, party management gameplay, with classes, gear and loot. Dungeon Siege III was clearly designed for consoles and controller use, as the keyboard and mouse controls are veryDungeon Siege III, while not stellar, is a bit underrated or otherwise suffers unjustly from its departure from the original games of old. Those had more of a Diablo-like interface, with top down, mouse point&click, party management gameplay, with classes, gear and loot. Dungeon Siege III was clearly designed for consoles and controller use, as the keyboard and mouse controls are very awkward and it has a more 3rd person view. Without a controller, it is very difficult to play this game.
    I’m a fan of the original game, and I found that despite the change in paradigm to a 3rd person hack and slash action RPG designed for the controller, the Dungeon Siege “feel” is there. Experiencing the different events in the story, meeting new characters and talking to them, going from location to location, playing the combat, collecting loot, and optimizing abilities and equipment in regards to combat, all was rather enjoyable. None was arguably groundbreaking, but was interesting and enjoyable enough to keep me invested for 32 hours, which, in retrospect, is saying something.

RPG-wise, it’s actually quite deep with lots of stats and mechanics. You choose from 4 different main characters with different characteristics and play styles: meele/tank, ranged character, an agile fire magic warrior and a spell casting mage/scientist. One of the other characters follows you as an AI companion. Each character has 2 switchable stances, with one attack and 3 active abilities each. Characters also have 3 defensive abilities. Active abilities include heavier or AOE attacks, buffs/debuffs, summoned creatures, etc. Defensive abilities include healing, pushing back of enemies or buffing yourself. Mastering attacks and abilities by using them unlocks empowered versions of them. As you level up, you can develop each of your abilities in a branching choice, for instance do you want more damage or increased chance to knockback opponents? You can go all in on one, or choose any balance between the two. Additionally, there are passive “talents” (buffs) to level up. With all this and also the different equipment you loot, buy and enhance with enchantments (3 weapon slots, 4 armor, a ring and a pendant), with different stats, you have a vast array of possibilities. You can choose the abilities’ perks to work well with one another enhancing your favorite play style, and also compliment your companion’s abilities to your own, which is very satisfying.
    However, sometimes it’s a bit difficult to perform actions from different stances in the heat of battle with a lot going on. Also, the way aiming works is a bit awkward, especially for ranged combat, as you have to move in the direction of an enemy to soft lock on it. This results in sometimes having to move away to get a better line of sight to the desired target. I got used to it, though. Additionally, the companion AI is not ideal, though it’s reasonable. Local coop should be fun.

I won’t spoil the story, which I found surprisingly interesting, meaning that the game is far from a loot fest. Events are set approximately 150 years after the first game, much of what once was has fallen or faded, which also means you don’t need to play the other games to enjoy this one. You’ll learn of what happened as you progress in the game, your journey has always that tone of grandeur lost as you seek to re-establish some of that. You’ll meet interesting characters and the plot will make you reflect on your actions and compare them to the main antagonist, and also think about your dialogue choices. The voice acting is also good and the dialogues lengthy. The lore is very well done, tying in nicely to the Dungeon Siege universe, and is deepened by finding some books or documents, and talking to characters. You’ll even explore a location directly related to the characters of the first game, which was extremely satisfying for a fan.
    The progression is mostly linear with growing scale of locations, enemies and events. It’s an action RPG, but the pacing and amount of enemies is not insane like for instance on Diablo 3, though some battles are more enemy heavy. Though there are different and varied locations with enemies matching them, “dungeons” aren’t as big as in the first game, but nonetheless acceptably lengthy.

The camera is always restricted to look down a little, so you can’t tilt it up and enjoy the scenery in a more 1st person style, which is a shame. That restriction also sometimes doesn't provide the best view for combat either. Though different equipment reflects visibly on the characters, there’s no way to view the full character close up and rotate it, like in a character screen. The HUD is somewhat simplistic, as are the indications above enemies, which at first makes it a bit difficult to understand what’s going on.
    The soundtrack is quite good, mostly in the atmospheric orchestral style, aiding to that tone of grandeur lost, but with tense and epic combat sequences.
  14. Jul 1, 2012
    The game is good, but forgettable. If you have only this title, you will probably have fun. If you got other games like Mass Effect, Diablo III or Elder Scroll, you will probably getting distracted and leaving it behind for good. Even so, Its is fun. Problem is: a) it lasts just a few hours of fun and; b) does not worth 12.50 bucks (STEAM promotion pack - Id like to have paid even less).
  15. Jun 27, 2011
    Do not fool yourselves, this is first and foremost a console game and has little relation to the previous titles which were alot more diverse and fun. However grab an xbox controller and there are a few hours of fun to be had in this sequel as long as you enjoy this type of games. This is not a full dollar game, I would wait for a significant price cut (
  16. Jul 16, 2011
    A decent buy if you plan to play with a friend. The storyline isn't too fascinating and feels very cliche (in fantasy story terms). The combat starts off pretty bland, but when you start to level up and get your abilities, you start to have fun with the combat. Me and my friend have noted that Lucas talks at random times during our adventures and later found out that this game is supposeA decent buy if you plan to play with a friend. The storyline isn't too fascinating and feels very cliche (in fantasy story terms). The combat starts off pretty bland, but when you start to level up and get your abilities, you start to have fun with the combat. Me and my friend have noted that Lucas talks at random times during our adventures and later found out that this game is suppose to be centered around him. I'm not entirely sure why they focused on more dialogue for him, but whatever the reason, this game is just another typical hack n slash rpg. If you decide to bring a friend, you can have little fun, but I don't think I can finish this game with my friend sadly. Expand
  17. Jun 25, 2011
    Having completed all three Dungeon Siege games, I can say that I like this one as much as DS2, but not as much as DS1. DS3 misses in a lot of places (controls being the primary), and as with Dragon Age 2, this game was not true to the original. This is not a dungeon crawler, since the maps have no areas to explore (everything is tied to being on a quest), and while this is a departure fromHaving completed all three Dungeon Siege games, I can say that I like this one as much as DS2, but not as much as DS1. DS3 misses in a lot of places (controls being the primary), and as with Dragon Age 2, this game was not true to the original. This is not a dungeon crawler, since the maps have no areas to explore (everything is tied to being on a quest), and while this is a departure from the original series, the game makes for a decent action-adventure; not a great one, but a decent one. When the game is run on a gampad, everything makes sense, and the action is smooth and sometimes frantic. The camera for this game is lacking, two-views were not enough to take me to my happy place, and with the quality of the models in the game I really wish I could have zoomed in more. The fixed character development, smacked of action-adventure games, and it really didn't help me get engaged with my toon. Loot was REALLY random, at level 6 I found a high-level orange gun at a vendor, I was able to equip it, and I used it all the way to endgame...The stats we easily gleaned from the retail price of the gear, so I felt no need to level my toon since they could use anything they found or bought, and I no reason to look at any loot below the price what I had equipped. The story was fine, and the boss fights were entertaining at normal and hard levels. This game is not a blockbuster, just a title that was released, had little thought put to it as a "PC Title", but had no bugs. Let's hope a patch comes out that allows people to overcome the controller issues.

Now for a SLAMMMMMMM!!!
    I can definitely say I will be avoiding any game Obsidian makes in the future, they have a 'special ability' with sequels that makes my stomach turn, and are a big reason behind Bioware/EA not releasing KOTOR 3 on it's own...Obsidian effectively killed the series with KOTOR2. Obsidian is clearly not on par with great design companies like Gas Powered Games (pausing for a moment of silence), and Bioware. If you didn't like DS3, tell Obsidian with your pocketbook. ABOUT PORTS:
    Not all ports are bad, but all ports had game pads in their past. To everyone out there complaining about the controls, you should consider buying an XB360 wired controller for your PC, they worked great in this game...Let's face it folks, many games get ported from consoles, and the only way to play these games is via the game pad. Mouse and keyboards are afterthoughts. If you don't like this don't buy console ports, or multi-platform released games (ones that share the release date with PC and consoles), because you will always be disappointed.

...and finally about misguided ratings...
    As for this game's ratings on meta-critic, the yays and nays are so off target that they are going to be ignored. If you rated a 10, but said something negative about the game, you blew it; and a 9 rating would have been hard to justify. If you rated this game less than a 3, then you are WAY off base...if you want to see a game that REALLY deserves a 3 or less, then look to Tenchu: Dark Secret for the DS or Bethesda's original Terminator game for PC (gives me shivvers just thinking back to those days). When you've played 1000's of games to completion...then you can start giving out scores from 3 to 0 and know that you where right in doing so.
  18. Jun 21, 2011
    After the whole Dragon Age 2 debacle, I think Obsidian Entertainment might be bracing themselves for a fandom backlash, especially considering how much they changed Dungeon Siege III from its predecessors. While a solid game in its own right, I almost hesitate to call the game Dungeon Siege at all - essentially the only thing that has been retained in this third entry to this popular PCAfter the whole Dragon Age 2 debacle, I think Obsidian Entertainment might be bracing themselves for a fandom backlash, especially considering how much they changed Dungeon Siege III from its predecessors. While a solid game in its own right, I almost hesitate to call the game Dungeon Siege at all - essentially the only thing that has been retained in this third entry to this popular PC game franchise is the massive amounts of loot you'll find and the story lore. And frankly, the lore was one of the weaker aspects of the first two titles.

Dungeon Siege III is a third person action role-playing game developed by Obsidian Entertainment, a company practically known for taking over other people's game series. With titles such as KOTOR II, and Neverwinter Nights 2 (and corresponding expansions) under its belt, Obsidian has a reputation for making deep, engrossing sequels filled with interesting characters and topped off with intricate plots.

With Dungeon Siege, this fan-favorite developer has stepped outside of familiar territory; most of their games are pseudo turn-based RPGs - Dungeon Siege III is their first fully real-time action RPG. DS3 tries to combine fast-paced action with Obsidian's renowned storytelling and for the most part it succeeds. Operative words being "for the most part."

See my full review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-dungeon-siege-iii.html
  19. Apr 24, 2012
    I believe this game's biggest crime was naming it Dungeon Siege III. I found the game enjoyable as an action RPG-lite style game in a vein similar to the Overlord series, Dragon Age II, and perhaps Trine. Think Gauntlet and you'll be on the right track. Its a decent bit of cartoonish fantasy fun that works better with a gamepad than the traditional keyboard and mouse setup. The gameI believe this game's biggest crime was naming it Dungeon Siege III. I found the game enjoyable as an action RPG-lite style game in a vein similar to the Overlord series, Dragon Age II, and perhaps Trine. Think Gauntlet and you'll be on the right track. Its a decent bit of cartoonish fantasy fun that works better with a gamepad than the traditional keyboard and mouse setup. The game features a dialogue/choice system similar to Bioware's. It's not quite as fleshed out, but not quite as pointless either. Decisions you make are neither good nor bad, just different, and will effect how things carry forth from the point they are made. With the excellent Treasure of the Sun DLC the entire game clocked in at 20 hours for the first play through including all but a few side quests. The previously mentioned choice system and four character classes lends the game a fair bit of potential replay value. I recommend giving this game a look the next time Steam puts it on sale. Expand
  20. Dec 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While Dungeon Siege 3 certainly is a departure from its hardcore RPG predecessors, it still has many redeeming features. The graphics and performance are fantastic; I never experienced any choppiness, glitches, or crashes. The music and sounds are also very well done; they sounded exceptionally rich and boomy on my Z906 speakers. It works well with Steam for the multiplayer features--that is, when Steam isn't having problems of its own. Finally, the characters and story weren't as trite as one might think given the general dumbing down of the gameplay; I actually found it quite engaging and relished in the chance to strike down Jeyne Kassynder at the end. But the game certainly has a number of problems and short-comings. I feel that the biggest of those is the interface and some of the gameplay mechanics. I almost gave up early on due to the difficulty of using spells (some spells require you to hold down three keys at once), camera restrictions (especially in co-op), and the general clumsiness of the whole interface. One can get used to these drawbacks, but it's never enjoyed. Also a big problem was the lack of character development options; the characters really have little room to deviate given the limited skill choices. And one thing that really just annoyed me was the non-standard item attributes that had no explanation; Doom sounds cool but that doesn't really tell you what it does. In summary, DS3 is definitely worth playing if you're hankering for a co-op RPG and have already played all the rest. But given the choice between DS3 and DS2, I'd suggest the latter first. Expand
  21. Jul 2, 2011
    Whilst not a bad game in it's own right, Dungeon Siege III has little in common with it's predecessors apart from title. The game plays more like The Guardian of Light minus the puzzles and teamwork, with Mass Effect's dialogue system mashed in and the Dungeon Siege label slapped on for good measure. There's little to no character and party customisation which was widely featured in theWhilst not a bad game in it's own right, Dungeon Siege III has little in common with it's predecessors apart from title. The game plays more like The Guardian of Light minus the puzzles and teamwork, with Mass Effect's dialogue system mashed in and the Dungeon Siege label slapped on for good measure. There's little to no character and party customisation which was widely featured in the previous titles and while there are plenty of items, your character is basically restricted to preset armour and weapon types. Skill choices are limited; in fact you'll unlock all of the available skills for your character (9 total) roughly half-way through the game, though there is a bit of personalisation in this department with 2 separate talent sets per skill to pick between, along with a few passive talents for your character as well.

The game has few technical issues, the most outstanding being the abysmal PC controls. This is easily remedied with a game pad, however the fixed camera in multiplayer will leave you constantly fighting your co-op mates rather than, well...cooperating with them. Luckily this is less of an issue in single player, with a zoomed in third-person view also available that is unfortunately disabled in multiplayer.

Those going into the game with expectations that it would follow in the footsteps of it's predecessor will be left rightfully disappointed. However, Dungeon Siege III is a solid, if not simplistic, game; offering a fun single or multiplayer romp through the world of Ehb. Well, at least if you have a game pad.
  22. Jun 30, 2011
    Dungeon Siege III is possibly worth a rent if you've already played all the classics in this genre and simply can't wait for the next Torchlight or Diablo, but that's about it... the game's not really meant for a single player; it's more for co-op or on-line... and the game's ridiculously linear, which is somewhat good because you can fast forward through all those agonizingly boring cutDungeon Siege III is possibly worth a rent if you've already played all the classics in this genre and simply can't wait for the next Torchlight or Diablo, but that's about it... the game's not really meant for a single player; it's more for co-op or on-line... and the game's ridiculously linear, which is somewhat good because you can fast forward through all those agonizingly boring cut scenes and "just move forward" in the game to find your next quest... not really a lot of actual dungeons either... grinding isn't bad although with the character I played the standard boss fight strategy was a timed heal spell, attack, dodge, run away, repeat... graphics were decent and I used an Xbox360 controller (on my PC) which felt natural, although my character tended to waste time flourishing/finishing moves instead of dodging out of the way when I needed her to... there's no potions in this game either, so max out that healing spell ASAP... can I recommend DSIII? No, but it's not terrible. Expand
  23. May 28, 2013
    I think there is some potential here for this to be a good game but I just couldn't make it past the controls. Every step of the way it felt like I was battling the camera and more often than not it would be the cause of my death. When I really think about it, I think the camera control in this game is the worst out of any game I've ever played. Definitely try the demo out first ifI think there is some potential here for this to be a good game but I just couldn't make it past the controls. Every step of the way it felt like I was battling the camera and more often than not it would be the cause of my death. When I really think about it, I think the camera control in this game is the worst out of any game I've ever played. Definitely try the demo out first if you're thinking of getting this. Expand
  24. Cuz
    May 23, 2012
    Wasn't a huge fan of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 so I guess I wasn't let down too badly by this. I suggest playing with a controller even on the PC, controls just work better that way. Some of the boss battles were fun, woth a playthrough if you can buy it cheap off of a Steam sale.
  25. Jul 26, 2011
    No replayability. What would have been nice would be difficulty levels that required higher and higher levels and had increasingly better loot. This, to me, seems to be a requirements for hack n slash games these days. The stats are kinda boring and you're never sure what stat you should be focusing on. I generally equipped the most expensive piece of gear my character could wear. NowNo replayability. What would have been nice would be difficulty levels that required higher and higher levels and had increasingly better loot. This, to me, seems to be a requirements for hack n slash games these days. The stats are kinda boring and you're never sure what stat you should be focusing on. I generally equipped the most expensive piece of gear my character could wear. Now my biggest gripe: The controls for the PC are atrocious. Did they not look at diablo 2? I mean, c'mon Obsidian... You point and click on the ground and you move there... you point and click on an enemy and you attack them. How a game like this doesn't have this control scheme is mind boggling. Part of the problem of being a straight console port with no respect for PC gamers. Expand
  26. Jun 25, 2011
    This game has got to have the worst voice acting of any X-box game ever ...... on the plus side all those people who bad mouthed Dragon Age II will now realise what a great polished game it really was.
  27. May 19, 2012
    I'm new to Dungeon Siege so I don't know how this game is different from the old ones. But I find it entertaining, with a gamepad, this game gives Diablo-type feeling; Hack-and-slash style without using much brain power :D which I love it. But the skill system is not good enough, there are 9 skills for each character, but you will end up using one or two skills repeatably, which isI'm new to Dungeon Siege so I don't know how this game is different from the old ones. But I find it entertaining, with a gamepad, this game gives Diablo-type feeling; Hack-and-slash style without using much brain power :D which I love it. But the skill system is not good enough, there are 9 skills for each character, but you will end up using one or two skills repeatably, which is boring sometimes. The plot is believable though a bit simple... Char parameters are confusing, I can't tell which is better between Attack and Will, but it seems to me that there is no difference on those parameters.. the rate you kill monsters seems similar for all combination. Expand
  28. Dec 12, 2011
    this game is... ok. dont expect a dungeon siege game even it is called Dungeon Siege 3.
    Publisher would have done better if they had given this game a new name, because it has nothing to do with the old games.
    gameplay is ok, graphics are, story is ok
    but none is good or very good
  29. Jun 23, 2011
    The story is short, you can beat the game twice within a week, and the multiplay is broken, you cant use your customized characters to join others games, and your characters can "destroy" by others if you host game, coz your partner can fully customize your characters that you are not in control at the time. But the combat system is great, we have played point and click system for lots ofThe story is short, you can beat the game twice within a week, and the multiplay is broken, you cant use your customized characters to join others games, and your characters can "destroy" by others if you host game, coz your partner can fully customize your characters that you are not in control at the time. But the combat system is great, we have played point and click system for lots of years and now we have to try something new. Expand
  30. Jul 4, 2011
    Dungeon Siege 3, although not a good as it's predecessors, is still a fun and enjoyable game to play. The arcade style controls makes it great for the console player, however, PC Gamers will not like the clunky, non configurable controls. Using a gamepad for the PC quickly solves the control issue, but some PC Gamers feel that this is a sin to do! The graphics on the game are betterDungeon Siege 3, although not a good as it's predecessors, is still a fun and enjoyable game to play. The arcade style controls makes it great for the console player, however, PC Gamers will not like the clunky, non configurable controls. Using a gamepad for the PC quickly solves the control issue, but some PC Gamers feel that this is a sin to do! The graphics on the game are better than any previous version. The loot system, as well as the inventory and item configuration leaves much to be desired. Constantly clicking on the right button (on the XBOX 360 controller for the PC) is a pain. There are some attributes gained from certain gear that needs some explanation also. Despite the flaws, Dungeon Siege 3 is an enjoyable game, but not a must have. Expand
  31. Jun 22, 2011
    A less than fantastic sequel to a fantastic game. The art and music is impressive. The story is average, the camera is clumsy, the level design is linear and the combat is mediocre. It is quite a short game. It is playable, but not all that fun, especially for fans of the genre.
  32. Sep 12, 2013
    I liked the game as a stand alone, and I would have liked it more if it actually could be played on the PC. I could only choose one of the four characters to effectively play, as ranged combat was the only option with a keyboard, or so it felt.

This is not a 1 or a 10. It is just another game.
  33. Jun 24, 2011
    There isn't very much to say about this game. It's ok. It's not bad, but it doesn't do anything for the genre. But then, I don't think it really tries to.
  34. Jul 28, 2011
    A game that could have delivered a lot more, but came out mediocre in all of it's aspects. First of all it is quite short. Took me 8 hours to beat it with all the side quests. Story is pretty straight forward, without any major twists and drama. Characters also don't have too much depth to them and game almost lacks any interaction between them. While there was an "influence" meter, itA game that could have delivered a lot more, but came out mediocre in all of it's aspects. First of all it is quite short. Took me 8 hours to beat it with all the side quests. Story is pretty straight forward, without any major twists and drama. Characters also don't have too much depth to them and game almost lacks any interaction between them. While there was an "influence" meter, it failed to attract my attention in any way because the whole point of having high influence was some abysmal buff and achievement. Combat is quite fast paced and fun even with a small selection of skills. Now the problem at this point was that with such a small amount of skills to choose from, it's really weird that only hardcore difficulty forces you to utilize each and every one of them. I've played on normal and probably used only half of the skills in the course of the game. Now that being like 9 skills in total, means i have only used 4-5 skills and only 2-3 extensively, and only on hardcore difficulty i found the need to use most of them. Graphics are quite decent though. Most of the time you will be too busy fighting to pay any attention to the scenery, but during short pauses between fights you can really see that characters and environment is quite detailed. Areas are quite small though and most places consist of some small "corridors", while open areas are far too few. Final fantasy 13 anyone? Good part is that there is quite a lot of areas and you don't have to revisit most of them. Now the real major problem with this game is that it is a pure console port. That being said the game is almost unplayable with standard PC controls. I had to use my PS3 pad in XBOX mode to be able to enjoy this game, which made me wonder, why have i bought it for PC at all. If you don't have any options in this part, i suggest not to bother at all with the game, since playing it on mouse and keyboard is agonizing. With all of the above being said i still find the game attractive enough for a second play through, which shows that while even being mediocre it still manages to deliver. I guess it's just sign of the times. Expand
  35. Oct 2, 2012
    GOOD:
    +++ Pretty standard combat system, but was well explained.
    +++ Combat resources and empowered skills offered nice break from cool-down based systems. +++ Some boss fights near the end demanded some skill. +++ Story line was not too deep, but good enough to follow, if you just want hack-and-slash. +++ Quest tracking on demand let you go straight into action if you are not into
    GOOD:
    +++ Pretty standard combat system, but was well explained.
    +++ Some boss fights near the end demanded some skill.
    +++ Quest tracking on demand let you go straight into action if you are not into wandering around.
    +++ Save points were plenty and did not allow you to backtrack too much.
    +++ Graphics was quite good and presented wide variety of landscapes and enemies.
    +++ Item comparison tab.
    +++ You can use your mouse AND WS AD to move your character (almost).

BAD:
    --- Many enemies were on the slow side and did not have ranged abilities.
    --- Controls were daunting to learn.
    --- Abilities offered no customization.
    --- Talents predictable and boring.
    --- Managing loot was boring because of slow menus.
  36. Feb 11, 2014
    While I disliked some things in the beginning, in the end the main things that were bad about it were the amount of item models, the amount(and diversity) of spells, and the amount of upgrades that let you build your character a certain way. The default controls were atrocious, but THEY HAVE KEYBINDINGS for a reason. I had no problem moving my character with WASD, attacking with myWhile I disliked some things in the beginning, in the end the main things that were bad about it were the amount of item models, the amount(and diversity) of spells, and the amount of upgrades that let you build your character a certain way. The default controls were atrocious, but THEY HAVE KEYBINDINGS for a reason. I had no problem moving my character with WASD, attacking with my mouse. I made my healing spell R, which is real quick and easy. While there are a few minor things that Obsidian could have made better, those are the only things that bugged me after playing it twice. The storyline was pretty good (albeit predictable, but I never expect a complex GoT-like storyline from video games nowadays), the old fashion tale of revenge never gets old. The environments were great, the graphics were pretty decent, but just the way the environments were designed was what really made it pop. I thought the combat flowed smoothly, though it was a bit plain. Comparing the game to it's predecessors, it's a downgrade, but I thought the game was still pretty fun. I got quite a few hours of gameplay, as I have in all the other DS games, which was nice.
    If this game had the character customization and the diversity of spells (upgrades, etc) that were big in it's predecessors. this game would have been great. However, it doesn't :( It may not be as fun as the last two, but it's still fun!
  37. May 28, 2014
    Fine for console, but I can see why people getting pissed about it on the PC.

Fine for console, but I can see why people getting pissed about it on the PC.

It's all very meh, the only things I enjoy about it are the co-op, and the story. The combat system is pretty dodgy, and really all too easy. 3 of the 4 characters you can choose have ranged fighting styles so its really too easy to keep your distance and spam attacks while dodging any they throw at you. The customization is really minimal, somehow getting even worse than the previous dungeon sieges.

The biggest downside IMO is that it's SO DAMN SHORT. I completed it in one day of solid gaming, waking up about 8-9am and was finished it by 11 pm that night. Since then I've started other games and they are going by even quicker because I know where everything is. The replay ability is garbage because of this.

Still Co-op is fun, nearly everything is shared and it makes the hard difficulty a walk in the park.
  38. Aug 26, 2011
    A confused and disjointed narrative attempts to deliver an incredibly bland story in this, the most disappointing rpg i've yet played.

graphically average, disappointing sound design add to the games seeming boredom with itself. No real customization of your characters appearance and an unrewarding multiplayer system which seems to insist that you you ignore it completely for it's almost

No real customization of your characters appearance and an unrewarding multiplayer system which seems to insist that you you ignore it completely for it's almost equally un-rewarding single player.

It's just bad, even for an obviously console focused rpg ported poorly across. Skip this, buy it's predecessors which I enjoyed far more then this when given it free for pre-purachasing this tremendous waste of time.

1. Oct 26, 2011
    One of the biggest differences in this game is that you exert a lot of control over your main character.
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    Ultimately, Dungeon Siege III is an easy-to-play popcorn journey into the classic action-RPG genre, hitting every checkbox. There is little innovation here, but it offers plenty of examples of how good design and development practices can make a derivative game enjoyable - and how a pretty severely console-designed game can be adjusted to feel largely right on a PC.
    Don't be discouraged by the slow and dumb beginning of the game – you'll be rewarded by many hours of fun. Strong story and cooperative multiplayer are more than worth your attention. [Issue#207]