7.0

1. Jul 14, 2012
    An over the top, incredibly satisfying shooter. It's not very complex or deep, but it certainly delivers on enjoyment. The armors provide a nice array of choices for players who want to be nimble or powerful, and they're balanced well enough for a PvE game. The weapon system is done well, with incentive to replay levels to unlock new gear. The story is nothing spectacular, but that doesn'tAn over the top, incredibly satisfying shooter. It's not very complex or deep, but it certainly delivers on enjoyment. The armors provide a nice array of choices for players who want to be nimble or powerful, and they're balanced well enough for a PvE game. The weapon system is done well, with incentive to replay levels to unlock new gear. The story is nothing spectacular, but that doesn't hold back the gameplay at all. Overall a great shooter well worth the cost--and I've bought it on two systems. Expand
  2. Jul 5, 2012
    Like watching an old fashioned monster movie.
    Great graphics , good engine and lots of colour.
    One of the best co-op games I've played yet.....just pure silly shoot em up fun!
  3. Dec 15, 2011
    I am pleasantly surprised by this game so far (5 hours of play). The missions are pretty basic: Go here, destroy that, have a stand off with swarms of giant bugs and alien robots, ect. Nothing complicated. You pick (or unlock) one of 4 slightly diversified classes. Trooper, Tactical, Jet, and the big nut buster brute. Each, of course, has it's pros and cons. Next, you have 2 weaponI am pleasantly surprised by this game so far (5 hours of play). The missions are pretty basic: Go here, destroy that, have a stand off with swarms of giant bugs and alien robots, ect. Nothing complicated. You pick (or unlock) one of 4 slightly diversified classes. Trooper, Tactical, Jet, and the big nut buster brute. Each, of course, has it's pros and cons. Next, you have 2 weapon slots to fill with about 6 classes of weapons, everything from SMG's and shotguns, to rocket launchers and sniper rifles. As you progress, you can unlock/buy/pick up new weapons for each class. The Tactical class gets to choose a third slot for turrets, mines, ect. Now, onto the fight! You have unlimited ammo....and for good reason. The bugs and alien robots don't stop coming. Swarms. Massive waves of pincers, mandibles, webs, acid, and plasma. You do, however, have to reload. It works almost like Gears of War, except when you hit the bonus section on the reload bar, the only bonus you get is a faster reload. That's good enough for me, because just a few more seconds of not squeezing that trigger could mean being overrun. Now, the baddies (well, not the ticks) can knock cars and such at you (much like the tank in L4D), but because the entire environment is destructible, and if you're quick, you can blow that Honda right out of the sky...or step aside. Buildings, including the skyscrapers, will come crashing down with the right amount of explosive firepower. Benefit? A clear line of grenade launcher fire at the next mass of ants. In addition to a deadly arsenal of bug busting guns, you may come upon a mech, tank, or turret every now and then. The tank even has two gunning positions for your buddies. Good stuff. I can't say it's hard to die (or at least lose the mission on Normal) because in the wake of insect guts left behind by your frantic firing, there might be health pickups. If you run out of health, a buddy has to defib you (which the trooper does fastest). Teamwork is key in this game, but not entirely required (such as L4D). It's hard to set a demo charge on an anthill when nobody is blasting the ants off your back.
    Bosses, or just 'the big guys', are rough. You have quite the variety, and in most cases, more than one to fight at once. Some can be hit anywhere, some have sweet spots, some have sweet spots that you have to wait for an opportunity to hit. All will try to make your life hell. Whether they shoot directly at you, or constantly drop lesser baddies to overwhelm you, they all have one thing in common: Squish the humans. Many of these big guys are HUGE! (think Painkiller) For instance, the sweet spot opens, you fire your missile, and you watch the rocket......and watch....and hope the spot doesn't close before your rocket gets WAAAY up there. Timing makes a big difference. Oh, and it sounds like they took audio from Cloverfield or something for the really big bosses...that low pitched groan or "wtf?! You shot me! That HURT!!' scream every now and then really adds to the anxiety of getting out of the way.
    My only real issues with EDF is that the dialog gets too repetitive. You know, the dialog that happens randomly just so it's not dead silence between fights? The rest of the dialog, like from OPS, or Intelligence is clean, slightly humorous, and kinda pokes fun at mission based games with commo links between operative and intelligence. I bought this on special for $15. It was worth it to me (I'm not very picky anyway). Regular price, I believe, is around $20. The trailer gives you a good idea of the action, but I would suggest trying this game out first before you drop $20 on it. I think this is one of those games where you either love or hate it. I love it, but I can see a lot of negative reviews coming from those that nit-pick about everything, hate themselves, and are never happy with anything unless it is perfect in every way and free. Enjoy :)
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    Fast......Fun........alot of Fighting......kind of part of a movie!! it has good grfx's and a very fast game play ,
    good choice of wepons..eighter youll like it or you wont...not much planing but alot of action...
  5. Dec 15, 2011

1. Mar 1, 2012
    The guiltiest of pleasures. Indulge yourself and a few friends, but go read a book afterwards or something. [March 2012, p.62]
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    A frenetic, old fashioned monster blaster best played with friends. Creepy-crawlyphobes, look elsewhere.
  3. Feb 3, 2012
    Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is an archaic, explosive and entertaining experience that deserves to be played. It's a great way to unwind after a long and tiresome day, and the co-op and character classes should appeal to whatever niche audience it may attract – while it's short and lacks variety in just about every department, it still deserves a few hours of your free time, provided you find yourself in the right mindset while playing it.