6.5

1. Dec 20, 2011
    The graphics of "Edna & Harvey: The Breakout" definitely take some getting used to but in the end the comic-look fits the setting perfectly. The game offers crazy characters, quirky dialogs, whacked-out puzzles and a story which takes more than one unexpected turn. Outstanding: Edna passes a unique comment on almost any action you take during the game.
    Despite the cartoonish graphics this
    game is not suited for kids. Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    I'm finding it difficult to rate this game. On the one hand I want to give it 10/10 for story but 3/10 for the sheer illogicalness of the puzzles (many are nigh impossible to figure out without a walkthrough) which really interrupts the flow of the story a lot. There is also a LOT of backtracking in the middle half of the story which gets old really fast.

Another thing about the game I
    really liked were the voices... solid 10/10. There's also plenty of comedic situations in there. The graphics are good and suit the story/atmosphere. Didn't like the load times though. For a game with 2D backgrounds, the load times are sometimes several seconds for some odd reason.

Most of the problems with this game were fixed in the sequel, so I highly recommend playing it (Harvey's New Eyes).
  3. Mar 10, 2011
    Frustrating at times, a point and click adventure with depth. The story is wonderful and that is what is taken away at the end. Getting to the end can be VERY frustrating at times because you have to in a way "guess" what needs to be done, while at times very obvious. Being a port of a German game I am glad it was brought unto us English speakers in order to play. I felt very immersed with the story but frustrated when not knowing what to do. I can see this taking somebody a very long time to complete as it is not a short game. You have to have intelligence and patience to play and finish this game. Its like a grown up hard version of a hidden object/point and click game. In the end I enjoyed it, but would not torture myself again. If you like a challenge this is your game. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2011
    It's been a while since I played this. You will look at the graphics and wonder if it's supposed to be a joke at first, but within it's style, their actually pretty good. The story is also good for a surprise as what starts as a silly and funny cartoon turns into a pretty dark and serious drama as the game proceeds and not like those Disney movies, either, so don't be fooled, it is NO game for kids. Even without these gloomier themes, I believe few children would like it much as the puzzles are tough to figure out and require patience, thinking and, of course, trying out stuff. Speaking of which, the amount of individual comments you get for trying things is phenomenal. Where most point&click adventures will just give you the standard "doesn't work" or "it's a chair", Edna will tell you little stories and even say fitting stuff to the most nonsensical item combinations, so you'll find yourself doing things you know are not the solution just to hear what she has to say. But this game has a few issues as well. First of all, the humor isn't always as deep as you'd hope, some of it is rather inane. Second, this game has RIDICULOUS loading times each time you leave a room especially when you consider what it actually has to load.

Overall, I thought this was one of the best point & click adventures of the recent years (and I'm not even much into the cartoony ones) as it did not spoon feed me everything, the story is great and there is is a lot of content.
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    If you are a fan of adventure games then you should definitely try Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, because it has somewhat unique: the original comment for the every combination of items you can find in the game. And not just for the combinations but also for all interactions. My style of playing was actually to enter the new location and try to talk to every single item there. And all the dialogs, texts are very funny and meaningful. Firstly I wanted to skip this part and just start playing the sequel first (Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes). But actually I was disappointed by it after the first one.
    The story itself is very good and intriguing till the last moments and the graphics which seem too simple at first are just good for the madness that rules around you. The puzzles may sometimes get weird, but well it's a weird game you know.
    The soundtrack is brilliant. I often listen to it after finishing the game. I read few times that english voice isn't very good, but it seems to be the early version and the final one looks very good for me though I'm not a native English speaker.
    Anyway, I strongly recommend at least to try it.
    P.S. And the story about the creation of the game which was actually started as a university project looks very appealing.
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    Not the best adventure game you can play. The story becomes pretty obvious early on in the game spoiling the feeling discovery with the feeling of waiting for the reveal. Overall the graphics leave a lot to be desired. There's nearly no animation with exception of Edna walking around the screen. While I can see what the artist was trying for, it still looks like a low budget early 80s cartoon with even worse voice acting. Further, the loading between scene changes is unbearable.

But that's really just to start, the game play is long and drawn out. After you escape the initial area, you have a huge multistory complex to navigate. I spent a good amount of time going back and forth trying to figure where I was suppose to be looking for that subtle change in dialog. And on top of everything else things where extremely spaced out and you were forced to pace through one are with an unskippable cut scene to reach different areas.

The worst of it though was bugs. On about 5 occasions certain parts of the game froze or became impassable. The first time I neglected to save, there is no auto save, so I ended up having to replay a large portion of the game.

Overall, the game was okay, but there is just not a lot to love about the game.

1. Apr 23, 2011
    What's just not funny becomes sandpaper pants irritating when delivered in broken English. [May 2011, p.97]
    A crazy old-school adventure game where you can see it was done out of love and not for money. [Mar 2011]
  3. Mar 31, 2011
    Clever, endearing and fun to play, probably slightly overpriced. Beware of the ending, though. [Apr 2011, p.57]