Edna & Harvey: The Breakout PC

6.2

1. Jun 30, 2014
    I'm finding it difficult to rate this game. On the one hand I want to give it 10/10 for story but 3/10 for the sheer illogicalness of the puzzles (many are nigh impossible to figure out without a walkthrough) which really interrupts the flow of the story a lot. There is also a LOT of backtracking in the middle half of the story which gets old really fast.

Another thing about the game I

Another thing about the game I really liked were the voices... solid 10/10. There's also plenty of comedic situations in there. The graphics are good and suit the story/atmosphere. Didn't like the load times though. For a game with 2D backgrounds, the load times are sometimes several seconds for some odd reason.

Most of the problems with this game were fixed in the sequel, so I highly recommend playing it (Harvey's New Eyes).
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    Frustrating at times, a point and click adventure with depth. The story is wonderful and that is what is taken away at the end. Getting to the end can be VERY frustrating at times because you have to in a way "guess" what needs to be done, while at times very obvious. Being a port of a German game I am glad it was brought unto us English speakers in order to play. I felt very immersedFrustrating at times, a point and click adventure with depth. The story is wonderful and that is what is taken away at the end. Getting to the end can be VERY frustrating at times because you have to in a way "guess" what needs to be done, while at times very obvious. Being a port of a German game I am glad it was brought unto us English speakers in order to play. I felt very immersed with the story but frustrated when not knowing what to do. I can see this taking somebody a very long time to complete as it is not a short game. You have to have intelligence and patience to play and finish this game. Its like a grown up hard version of a hidden object/point and click game. In the end I enjoyed it, but would not torture myself again. If you like a challenge this is your game. Expand
  3. Sep 11, 2017
    I DO NOT Recommend to players who are new to the Adventure Genre. This isn't a good entry-level representer.

For "experienced" Adventurers and Developers this game presents an interesting exerience. Just bear through that first torturous hour :) Bug Tip: If you get stuck in a puzzle in the Kitchen - switch to German version, solve, and switch back to English. En Resumen:

Just bear through that first torturous hour :)

Bug Tip:

En Resumen:
    Interesting Story, Colorful Characters, Tons of Content, English Voice Acting Not that Strong but Superior to the Dutch Original. Unique.
  4. Nov 19, 2013
    Not the best adventure game you can play. The story becomes pretty obvious early on in the game spoiling the feeling discovery with the feeling of waiting for the reveal. Overall the graphics leave a lot to be desired. There's nearly no animation with exception of Edna walking around the screen. While I can see what the artist was trying for, it still looks like a low budget early 80sNot the best adventure game you can play. The story becomes pretty obvious early on in the game spoiling the feeling discovery with the feeling of waiting for the reveal. Overall the graphics leave a lot to be desired. There's nearly no animation with exception of Edna walking around the screen. While I can see what the artist was trying for, it still looks like a low budget early 80s cartoon with even worse voice acting. Further, the loading between scene changes is unbearable.

But that's really just to start, the game play is long and drawn out. After you escape the initial area, you have a huge multistory complex to navigate. I spent a good amount of time going back and forth trying to figure where I was suppose to be looking for that subtle change in dialog. And on top of everything else things where extremely spaced out and you were forced to pace through one are with an unskippable cut scene to reach different areas.

The worst of it though was bugs. On about 5 occasions certain parts of the game froze or became impassable. The first time I neglected to save, there is no auto save, so I ended up having to replay a large portion of the game.

Overall, the game was okay, but there is just not a lot to love about the game.

1. PC Gamer UK
    Apr 23, 2011
    What's just not funny becomes sandpaper pants irritating when delivered in broken English. [May 2011, p.97]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 6, 2011
    A crazy old-school adventure game where you can see it was done out of love and not for money. [Mar 2011]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 31, 2011
    Clever, endearing and fun to play, probably slightly overpriced. Beware of the ending, though. [Apr 2011, p.57]