Eldritch PC

6.5

1. Oct 21, 2013
    Eldritch manages to find a sweet spot between silly graphics and heart-stopping, dungeon-crawling action.

Eldritch is the debut game from Minor Key Studios, made possible by Steam Greenlight. What seems like another innocuous ride on the, “retro-but-stylized,” gravy train becomes an immersive adventure through randomized dungeons based on the lore of H.P Lovecraft's Cthulu novels.

Trading leveling up and skill points for items and action, as you delve deeper and deeper into the various dungeons of the game, you find ways to increase your overall health and buy items from a fishy (literally) shopkeeper who keeps stocked with the best convenient gear for a soon-to-be corpse.

It allows for both mouse/keyboard or a controller, and plays well with both. Controlling your character feels intuitive, and I found myself doing borderline parkour. Holding jump button allows one to grab on to a ledge and pull yourself up, and while sprinting, pressing the crouch button allows you to do a slide. It may sound like a small feature, but it adds a very nice flavor to the environment. I'm not just a random character I actually feel like an adventurer.

The game has a well implemented sneaking feature which allows players one of two options run and gun your way through dungeons while dodging mage fireballs and leaping monstrous insects, or taking it slow, sneaking around each corner, using the peek feature (which allows players to peek around the corner to see what's ahead without compromising their position to enemies) to carefully plot out their path through the scary depths of a very special Lovecraftian vision of hell.

Looting corpses can be exciting, as your ammo, keys, and other resources are limited. “Artifacts,” found in the game serve as both your currency and magic points. Praying to a Elder God statue nets you a fancy new magical power, ranging from teleports, the ability to spawn blocks Minecraft style to let you reach new heights or block enemy paths, cloaking for stealth nuts, and many more. Spam your magic too much, and you're left gearless. Buy too much gear, and you put yourself in a sticky situation when that one spell would have saved your hide.

The sound, though repetitive after a while, serves as a terrifying reminder than anything can be around any corner, keeping you on your toes. The far-away moans, footsteps and crawling sounds make you think twice about blazing through each floor.

The roguelike elements of the game add a nice twist, allowing your character to store Artifacts each time you revisit the mysterious Library (where you spawn) and all items are lost upon death. Each time you play, the floors are randomly generated and populated with enemies and random item spawns. Opening locked doors can be risky business sometimes you find a treasure trove, sometimes nothing.

The game is a wonderful package, overall. However...

The sound, though lending itself to the creepy world around you, does get repetitive. Problem being, you need the sound to know when and where threats lie.

The randomly generated dungeons are an amazing touch and really take this game over the top, but I found myself slogging through a random, but eerily similar dungeon as the one before, especially when descending deeper.

Enemies also seem very few and far between. Killing an enemy gives it a chance to spawn somewhere else in the dungeon you never completely clear out a floor, which makes re-exploration dangerous. Sometimes I found myself running into six or seven enemies on a floor, and sometimes none.

That said, Eldritch brings something new to the table. A 3D roguelike, with fun, stylized graphics, random dungeons, and, at times, rewarding difficulty.

This makes an incredible edition to any Steam Library, and I suggest picking it up pre-Steam sale. Yes, it's that good.
  2. Sep 24, 2014
    Pretty fun rouge-like game. I'm a fan of the lovecraftian universe and the first time playing the Dagon dungeon was a lot of fun. When I got to Nyarlathotep dungeon, thinks got creepy as hell. Statues that are similar to the weeping angels and these things that keep coming back to life when you kill them.

Overall the game is enjoyable and it's not very expensive. it's good entertainment at that price.
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    This game is amazing! Even for the cute graphics, the sound design and randomness of the game makes it terrifying! Hell, i made an account just to review this! The only problem is: There is so little weapons, on;y about 5 or 6, but other than that, the game has a lot of potential and since it just came out, the there is a big chance the devs will add more to It!
  4. Dec 3, 2013
    This basically Minecraft on acid, with a warped feel that gets under your skin and makes it completely unique. I haven't really delved into it too much seeing as other games have grabbed me more but it's certainly hard to fault
  5. Nov 19, 2013
    Please keep in mind thus is my very first review. Thanks.

Please keep in mind thus is my very first review. Thanks.

Eldritch is an indie rougelikelike developed by minir key games. You wake up as a librairian stuck in a library, and before you are 3 books, every.book takes you to a new world which you can explore, and fight monsters in. Athe end of every level is a soul. The soul for the first world opens another book/world. Thr game is mistly easy but there is a HUGE difficulty spike in the second level. The game is very low on content, and i wish to see more, but until now, Eldritch is enough yo satisfy my indie rougelike needs.
  6. Dec 21, 2013
    You'll hear people call this a sort of minecraft clone, and yes, obviously it's the easiest comparison there is. What you need to decide for yourself is whether or not that's a bad thing. In my opinion, this is an enjoyable rogue-like sim that blends some Lovecrafian intrigue with a nice sense of exploration.

I love Lovecraft, and while I think Minecraft is somewhat overrated, I have

I love Lovecraft, and while I think Minecraft is somewhat overrated, I have enjoyed that as well...so for me, this game was right up my alley. It was also relatively cheap compared to Minecraft, and while some MC mods might offer a similar narrative, Eldritch focuses on it entirely.
  7. Dec 16, 2014
    This game is fun, it's addictive, I want more! Whilst the graphics are deliberately basic in a Mine-craft type way, the lighting is very nice and the game is polished. The game starts off in a library which is fixed, most of the levels are randomly generated and regenerate if you die, but you still have banked money and unlocks when you re-spawn back at the library, I managed to only die aThis game is fun, it's addictive, I want more! Whilst the graphics are deliberately basic in a Mine-craft type way, the lighting is very nice and the game is polished. The game starts off in a library which is fixed, most of the levels are randomly generated and regenerate if you die, but you still have banked money and unlocks when you re-spawn back at the library, I managed to only die a couple of times, you can cheat by backing up the files. There are tactics for dealing with the harder enemies.

Having said that, I would have liked to see a bit more rpg to it and a bit more story, it is a short game. Only buy it on sale, the full price is not reasonable. Available at steam and humble bundle stores.
  8. Jun 29, 2015
    Per essere un gioco d'avventura è molto intrigante infatti a volte mi incasino e muoio dopo aver preso l'anima del drago per la statua maledetta o per quel "lizard"

1. Jan 14, 2014
    Part Minecraft, part Lovecraft, all cry in the corner-craft. Bring clean underwear. [Feb 2014, p.78]
  2. Eldritch is a punishing difficult game that tests a player’s ability to survive in a Lovecraft-inspired world.
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    For all its borrowings and influences, all its sleights and feints, Eldritch's dark alchemy ultimately lies with the way it uses a blocky, cheerily primitive art style, silly sound effects and a surprisingly forgiving level of challenge to summon the kind of creeping dread that H.P. himself would be delighted with.