8.1

1. Jan 2, 2013
    Despite the lack of achievements and a social aspect, this discreetly encompassing game is one of the most alluring puzzle challenges I've played all year. Gone is the 20 hour plot, along with the loading screens and the ornate graphics. What remains is pure unobstructed gameplay. Mind you, it's difficult and requires patience and analysis. But I'm sure you're capable of that. What weighsDespite the lack of achievements and a social aspect, this discreetly encompassing game is one of the most alluring puzzle challenges I've played all year. Gone is the 20 hour plot, along with the loading screens and the ornate graphics. What remains is pure unobstructed gameplay. Mind you, it's difficult and requires patience and analysis. But I'm sure you're capable of that. What weighs down in the score is how each puzzle is self-contained, short and concentrated on one gameplay mechanic. The puzzle genre excelled in games like Portal partly because you would initially approach each problem with an open mind, and have to apply/extend the mechanic suitably. Here, you know what limited tool is available for each type of task, making the game do a chunk of the creative thinking for you. Another point of criticism is that you mostly get quantity and variety of objectives instead of true focus and refinement in a few types of play. Still, each type is creatively explored and designed with at least a couple of puzzles, so that's kind of fine. I was impressed several times while playing, challenged and put to exotic tests . Excellent. Expand
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    Superb game, and near-perfect in it's execution and atmosphere, English Country Tune is a deep meditation on 3-dimensional space.

The game presents a series of puzzles in a rich and mysterious world that even in the beginning can be quite challenging. Through the rapid introduction of interacting variables in the puzzle space, the challenge reaches such a degree of difficulty that only sustained meditation and visualisation of possibilities will generate a solution.

This could have been a lot of un-fun work, but somehow the combination of atmospheric and uninterrupted music, colours and a space that is utterly joyous to navigate make this game one of the most incredible experiences of any I've played. I distinctly remember feeling moments where my neurons connected in ways I did not think possible, and the satisfaction of finding a solution was often overwhelmingly pleasurable.

Highly recommended, very original, and best played without a walkthough, and resetting puzzles instead of using the undo function.
  3. Jun 8, 2013
    A nice little puzzle game, it's atmosphere is great and gets quite challenging fairly quickly. Really gets the brain working and the music is quite calming, the menus are a bit awkward, but everything else is fine and it's worth the money.
  4. Jun 11, 2013
    English Country Tune is a great puzzle game that challenges you from the start. There is very little instruction as you are introduced to strange mechanics that make for a great puzzle game. It is worth the $4.99 on steam.
  5. Jan 22, 2014
    A true masterpiece of perfect level design and clever puzzles with a progressive and fair difficulty. Everyone who loves puzzle games should get it, it's well worth the Steam full price!
  6. Jul 20, 2014
    This is the game that got me interested in the puzzle genre. It kept me challenged for nearly 20 hours during my two playthroughs, in which I never needed to use a walkthrough. Suits for people who want challenging puzzles solved by patience.
  7. Aug 14, 2012
    A good 6 for being an interesting puzzler. Similar to Puzzle Dimension (PD), you move a ball or block around a maze, this time pushing it or some boundary attached to it. And it starts easy but gets tougher as levels increase. However, it's basic audio (that space-eerie music of Osmos comes to mind) doesn't hold the attention, and the abstract simple design looks good when new to the game,A good 6 for being an interesting puzzler. Similar to Puzzle Dimension (PD), you move a ball or block around a maze, this time pushing it or some boundary attached to it. And it starts easy but gets tougher as levels increase. However, it's basic audio (that space-eerie music of Osmos comes to mind) doesn't hold the attention, and the abstract simple design looks good when new to the game, but after a while you yearn for something more visually interesting in colours and backgrounds. That would help spending time in the game. And the simple design could do with one or two improvements, for example, would it kill them to insert the word "Completed" when you've done a world to make it obvious when a world is completed. And the picking of Worlds, a la SpinDizzy (or again Osmos) style, is nice but takes up time, you simply want to enter a world quickly. After all, it is a game of 15-20 minutes bursts of play, so make it quick to get into each level, or the one after the most recently played. Overall, an interesting puzzler and fun to play, but struggles to hold the attention except in short bursts of play. Expand
  8. Feb 6, 2014
    Interesting but doesn't really GO anywhere. It gets tougher but there's very little that's new, this lost me. That said it is very pretty and the mechanic was the first of it's type that I'm aware of, for sure.
  9. Feb 3, 2015
    I checked it out because it has the highest rating for puzzle games on jay is games, and I was not disappointed. The negative reviews don't know what they're talking about, the visuals and audio are more than satisfying, and many new concepts are introduced and explored in delicious ways. The only reason that it doesn't have a 5 star review is that it is alienating with its presentationI checked it out because it has the highest rating for puzzle games on jay is games, and I was not disappointed. The negative reviews don't know what they're talking about, the visuals and audio are more than satisfying, and many new concepts are introduced and explored in delicious ways. The only reason that it doesn't have a 5 star review is that it is alienating with its presentation and its exploration of concepts. Anyway, if you like puzzles, exploration and things that stretch your imagination, this is the game for you. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Oct 11, 2012
    An ingenious, original puzzler hiding behind a highly difficult barrier. [Oct 2012, p.84]
    Independent logical piece with a title beyond all understanding will test your spatial imagination. Minimalistic audio-visual style perfectly fits in this case. [Feb 2012]
  3. Jan 26, 2012
    Stylish and obscure, this is a fascination exploration of abstract puzzle design. No idea where the name comes from though. [Mar 2012, p.76]