6.6

1. MattA.
    Jul 9, 2003
    Yeah, dodgy round the edges, would have liked the real characters, but still, those moves are so funky!
  2. ZekeN.
    May 27, 2003
    Not worth buying.
  3. T.F.
    May 27, 2005
    A bit rough around the edges. Definately does not live up to the hype. Still, fun to play for the first few levels.
  4. BillG.
    May 29, 2003
    The game had potential and you can see the designers were in right direction, but it is verry obvious the game was rushed to shelves to be in line with movie release. The engine is unpolished, buggy, and overall graphics arent worthy of PC's capabilities. Which wouldnt have been a problem if the game play was smooth and fluent, and it never is. Frame rates crumble in the slightest The game had potential and you can see the designers were in right direction, but it is verry obvious the game was rushed to shelves to be in line with movie release. The engine is unpolished, buggy, and overall graphics arent worthy of PC's capabilities. Which wouldnt have been a problem if the game play was smooth and fluent, and it never is. Frame rates crumble in the slightest event of combat even on high performance systems. Expand
  5. Nov 17, 2017
    So there I was, catching up on some sagas I've missed years ago, and there came The Matrix's turn. After finding it also has video games I just had to try out. And surprisingly, I managed to even have fun, 14 years after release.
    While this is not a 'game of the year' (any year), I felt it wasn't bad at all, and didn't get all the negativity towards the game.
    Sure, it's rough around the
    Sure, it's rough around the edges. It doesn't look close to how AAA budget games should look like, even back in 2003, and in those terms the game is rather mediocre.
    I did enjoy it still because I felt it captured greatly the atmosphere of The Matrix and for the any (and mainly) fans of the franchise should enjoy Enter The Matrix. At least a bit.

I thought it was cool that they actually added a side story to the main movies and filmed some live footage for the game. The music stays loyal to The Matrix soundtracks and really gets you into the game, and also kicking enemies' butts with your Matrix powers felt really fun and intuitive to me, even though the controls were clunky at first (It's still 2003 we're talking about). But after you get used to them and just slightly lower your expectations, you can have some fun for a while.

1. PC Gamer
    Take away the Matrix setting, and you're left with an action game that really does nothing new - and looks pretty average doing it. [Aug 2003, p.64]
    The more you play this half-baked sack of pixels, the more you become convinced that there is no The Matrix game, and the only thing being played here is you.
  3. Less of the ‘groundbreaking title’ Infogrames claimed it would be and more… well, crap. We’d suggest renting it at best – and that’s only if you’re absolutely desperate to see what you’re not missing.