7.3

1. Dec 14, 2011
    It pains me to see people hate on this game for being "old school" This is how a true rpg should be done, Turn based so you can do it at your own pace wether iti be fast or slow, I thurally enjoyed playing though Eschalon Book I and look forward to play Book 2, the story is a bit bland if you may. But its good enough to keep you going. The graphics may look a little outdated but they fit everything else extremely well, the sound is mediocre. The looting system was a big Minus for me, considering its completely random so i have about as big of a chance of getting a great and getting a health potion. Overall this game is an absolute blast to play and i can easily recommend this game to anyone who likes old school RPG's, If you dont like old school rpg's you should give this game a try anyways. Its a good game to get into the genre in. Overall i would give it a 9.5 but i cant so it gets a 10 on metacritic. Expand

1. The production values are far higher than many rivals, and anyone looking back fondly on the RPGs of yesteryear will soon be sucked in. [Feb 2008, p.115]
  2. A very nice surprise. In this age of good looking, but simplistic and short, easy games a touch of classic role-playing was really refreshing. I hope to see the remaining Books, too. [Jan 2008]
  3. Despite the many warts, Eschalon is not without charm, as this game would have been an award-winning achievement in 1986 or so. Everything is done well, for that era, but, much like steam locomotives, I’m just not convinced this style really works nowadays.