Fable: The Lost Chapters PC

8.6

1. MosstheBoss
    Apr 17, 2008
    The whole ideas in which the games is based are fantastic. It is however less wonderous than the literature about it suggests. The very interesting concept of actions having a repercussion on your character is superficially explored. Bad things are black, good things are white, no moral dilemmas in reality, and it's consequences are not that grave. I have rouble with games that giveThe whole ideas in which the games is based are fantastic. It is however less wonderous than the literature about it suggests. The very interesting concept of actions having a repercussion on your character is superficially explored. Bad things are black, good things are white, no moral dilemmas in reality, and it's consequences are not that grave. I have rouble with games that give you a divinely rendered world that is filled with the impossible places to go (invisible walls, no jumping over fences, rocks.... well over anything). Story is not very enticing, or, for that matter, interesting. Very common RPG fare and predictable at several spots.
    Graphics and ambiance are very nice. Voice acting is superb and many instances of it quite funny. CHaracter faces have a lot of personality. Many nice details and proto-ideas, but that is all. Unless you devote yourself at just the exploratory side of trying all chance games, getting all tattoes, experimenting with all magics or physical paths, the games is a breeze. Super short. I think I understand why this chapters had been misplaced to begin with, we don't quite get to see them as a real treasure.
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    one of the most boring RPG's i've ever played in my life nothing special here at all graphics are bad game play is boring but the sounds are good after all i didn't enjoy this game at all
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    Fable is like most Peter Molineaux's games: it promises way much more than it delivers. The concept of this game is amazing: you start as a little innocent kid and make you way to become a powerful warrior throughout the years. There's also an interesting alignment system, just like Black and White (still Molineaux's masterpiece) do good things and you become an angel type of character:Fable is like most Peter Molineaux's games: it promises way much more than it delivers. The concept of this game is amazing: you start as a little innocent kid and make you way to become a powerful warrior throughout the years. There's also an interesting alignment system, just like Black and White (still Molineaux's masterpiece) do good things and you become an angel type of character: do bad things and you'll see horns growing in your forehead, and that is the best thing in this game, you can actually see the changes in your face and body, not only in your alignment, but also scars from battles, body type (strong, thin, tall short) tattoos... you can also have a life, buy houses, get married... the story is also very good (not great, but good).

That looks awesome, but the execution is not as good. First of all, despite the alignment feature, you don't have a lot of choices like the game makes you think you have. It doesn't matter if you're good or evil, the story is pretty much the same from start to finish, and the choices you make to get there are very limited. Another problem I have with this game is the aging system. You start as kid, complete a couple of quests and BAM! cut scene and you suddenly a teenager. A few quests later and BAM! cut scene and you're an adult. That's it. after that you keep getting older but this is not showed in a realistic way, and you face doesn't show much changes. However, that's not a huge issue, it's just a lot different and much simpler than I thought it would be when I got the game.

Another problem I have with this game is the repetition, when I played the first Assassin's Creed, this game came to my mind because they share the same problem: it's fun for a while but it gets kinda of boring when you noticed you're doing the same stuff over, over, over and over again, but fortunately this problem is minimized for the great battle system. Still, it gets boring eventually.

Marriage is pretty lame, your wife (or husband - your character is a guy, but you can be straight, gay or bi in this game) does nothing but say 1 or 2 words when you talk to her. You can have sex but the game goes to a black screen when you do. You can't have kids. The title system is a joke and the worst thing in the game: You get fame by completing quests, so people start to recognize you and show respect (or fear, depending on your alignment) and they always reefer to you by your title (chicken chaser, deathbringer and so on). The problem is that those titles are not gained for what you do in the game, you just go to a merchant and buy those, just like you buy food or a new tattoo. It's ridiculous and annoying.

Like I said before, the battle system is good, very arcade gameplay, like other people already pointed out. Battles are probably the best thing is this game, you have some great skills to learn, and you can build different types of characters (warrior, mage, rogue or a mix of those) and to me that's what makes this game a little above average. There's also a lot of different sets of armors and weapons to use that are also great. Anyway, despite all the bad aspects, it's a good game if you don't expect too much. I had fun playing it. Peter Molineaux surely have great ideas, and he already prove he can make games that are more than a game but a work of art. Black and White is a masterpice and it's because of that game I keep waiting for the next game from him. The problem, like I said in the beginning, is just that: great Ideas not executed so well. I haven't played Fable 2 (not on pc, why?), and I'm on the fence in getting Fable 3 (probably will) so I can't say if those problems with the first game (or what I see as problems) were fixed or not. For now I can only hope someday I'll get my hands in something made by Molineaux so great as B&W.
  4. Sep 23, 2010
    For all its potential, Fable is a cautionary tale of what happens when developers buy their own hype. From underwhelming combat to disappointing lack of options and unintuitive controls, Fable fails to produce.
  5. AmandaHug'nkiss
    Sep 24, 2005
    I rate the PC version 7.9/10 I rate the XBOX version 7.7/10 I
  6. ChrisB.
    Oct 18, 2005
    The game is great fun but every time I try and spend my experience points it crashes. I have heard that there a quite a few bugs in the game that causes crashes. Things to do with video cards, sound cards, themes (mainly from people who use Windows Blinds, which by the way sucks since it uses alot of system resources), and what ever it is that causes the game to crash fro me. I have not The game is great fun but every time I try and spend my experience points it crashes. I have heard that there a quite a few bugs in the game that causes crashes. Things to do with video cards, sound cards, themes (mainly from people who use Windows Blinds, which by the way sucks since it uses alot of system resources), and what ever it is that causes the game to crash fro me. I have not figured that part out yet since Microsoft and fourms are no help. I would definately recommend the game (having finished it for Xbox so I know what the whole game is like) if you can get around the bugs. Expand
  7. KDep
    Oct 25, 2005
    Decent game. Too much running around, not enough action. Also a lot of repeated areas, just different things to do in them.
  8. Jul 26, 2013
    I found Fable The Lost Chapters average at best. While the voice acting and graphics of the game were strong the story was boring and predictable, as was the combat. Pushing through the last hours of this game was a chore with the repetitive combat.
  9. Oct 21, 2014
    This is the first time I've played a Fable game and
    I enjoyed this game mostly, I liked the story and that you could do bad, or good things or both. I like having a choice and not have to be a goody goody hero all the time.
    This is the first time I've played a Fable game and

Though I disliked and found it very frustrating that you could not save when doing a quest and should you fail, you have to start all the way from the beginning. That almost made me rage quit when trying to escort some spy and there was a massive amount of guards and no matter how much I tried he kept being killed as he dies in a few hits. So decided it was not worth the frustration to bother with that quest anymore.

The game is rather linear and the world seems quite small. Hirelings are rather useless with bad AI.

Despite the things I disliked I found the game fun and it kept me playing and wanting to see what is going to happen next.

I recommend this game if you like RPG's and a interesting story and don't mind that it's linear.
    It's a bit too short for my liking. I completed the game in 30hours and I did not rush and did all side quests but 1.
  10. Feb 9, 2016
    My first impression second I got into game, " it seems very unique and original and child-like but what makes it so special that everybody is talkin' about it". I found out soon enough. The game that in the beginning seems very childish and simple gets complicated when you realize the system of decisions that game is based on is very mature and the game itself is covered with illusion.

1. A very accessible and pretty RPG. Perhaps it could benefit from added complexity and higher difficulty.
  2. PC Gamer
    Fun, but it lacks depth compared to other PC roleplaying games. [Nov 2005, p.78]
    You can see for yourself that Fable has damn fine looking graphics. The attention to detail can not really be underestimated in this respect. The character models look brilliant and the aesthetic changes in your hero’s look over time add just that little bit extra to the game’s finesse.