8.8

1. Nov 15, 2011
    User Score, Y U are so low? Fallout is greatest CRPG ever. You can play it for 500 hours and still discover new things (like i did). Amazing storyline, amazing characters, amazing gameplay!
  2. Oct 10, 2010
    The greatest Computer Role-Playing Game, in my opinion. It mixes a great atmosphere with awesome stat building, story, role-playing and character design. The creators of this went on to make Arcanum (Fallout 2 was by a different team) so if you liked Fallout (the first one) you will probably like Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura too. I highly recommend this game if you like Western RPGs.
  3. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is extremely fun. Who cares how old it is or the graphics. This is the game that started it all. This is Fallout, a game where you control your destiny through epic quests, allies, and weapons.
  4. Aug 5, 2011
    This game is a bit older and a lot of things that are unforgivable now days were back then, yes it sucked when you died and you hadn't saved, and it is a pain to walk everywhere, I just found people or objects and clicked them for faster travel. (I think there was a run always option?) I had to sign up because some people think this is Fallout 3 and somehow think that the 3 after FalloutThis game is a bit older and a lot of things that are unforgivable now days were back then, yes it sucked when you died and you hadn't saved, and it is a pain to walk everywhere, I just found people or objects and clicked them for faster travel. (I think there was a run always option?) I had to sign up because some people think this is Fallout 3 and somehow think that the 3 after Fallout means nothing...

This game is awesome, it does have re-playability that faulted a bit in the second game. Power armor has gone from overly powerful to almost regular type armor through the fallout series. I beat this game 3 times and played a different type character each time. I first played as the heavy on guns guy and ran through blazing. (It's been years since I've played) I did off the wall things in some towns which later towns referenced back to, it didn't make a huge impact on the story line but I thought it was really amusing they 'heard of my activity'

Second I played a character who was high in social and outdoor skills and talked my way out of everything and if I couldn't talk I used my outdoor skills to evade fights. Towards the end when I had to fight I got some power armor and was instantly almost as strong and capable as someone who had been made for fighting. Some people will probably see this as bad balancing but I liked that I was able to make it through most the game without a single fight and when I had to fight I had a scapegoat.

This is my all time favorite RPG
  5. Jun 13, 2012
    This is a game my generation of gamers will talk about for decades. A work of art among video games, that even with it's dated graphs looks great, and delivers a satisfying experience.
  6. Mar 11, 2011
    Played it right after finishing fallout 2. Simply awesome, but it was missing some stuff added in fallout 2 like npc customization, npc leveling and others ...
  7. Feb 8, 2012
    Its amazing isnt it .The start of the amazing fallout games . Keep in mind this isnt for everyone . SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPASPASMAJSHAUIDdsgdsgsdgsdggsgsgsggsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgs
  8. Oct 5, 2012
    Timeless Classic. This game still has the best inventory system seen in gaming. In what subsequent game have players felt the need to keep a baseball bat to use once they ran out of bullets for their single, rusting gun? Great character development. GREAT writing, great plots great NPCs Great humour. I think that nostalgia blurs people's vision somehow. Great though this game was it neverTimeless Classic. This game still has the best inventory system seen in gaming. In what subsequent game have players felt the need to keep a baseball bat to use once they ran out of bullets for their single, rusting gun? Great character development. GREAT writing, great plots great NPCs Great humour. I think that nostalgia blurs people's vision somehow. Great though this game was it never had the kind of glorious atmosphere you can get in Fallout 3 listening to the in-game radio station. Thus 9/10 rather than 10. It's ridiculous to pretend that more recent games haven't offered more and better highs than this game. Expand
  9. Mar 18, 2013
    An amazing game that stands up to the test of time.

I'm mostly writing this review to correct a few issues I saw one of the negative reviews had made: that there were no alternate ammo types, damage types, or upgrades for weapons and armour. All of those are in the game. The world is large and free to roam, and the decision to have soft preventative measures other than hard ones
    An amazing game that stands up to the test of time.

All of those are in the game.

The world is large and free to roam, and the decision to have soft preventative measures other than hard ones makes the game much more immersive. (With one exception, which is a guy with infinite HP.)

The combat is amazing from a gamist point of view, though Fallout 2 improves it arguably at the cost of the perfect atmosphere and connected feeling environments that Fallout has.

The alternate paths the player can take, from a pacifist run where you directly kill no NPCs, to a berserk run where you kill all the wasteland's inhabitants you meet. And both can finish the game. The freedom of action and character building go perfectly hand in hand.

If you've not played this game yet, and had the time to read all of this, just go and play it!
  10. Feb 20, 2012
    A tough as nails RPG that will kill you at the drop of a hat, It never feels overly difficult, just difficult like a lot of old games, maybe it's just because I'm not very familiar with this kind of game, I bought it in the Fallout Trilogy pack because Fallout 3 maybe my favorite game of all time, and I wasn't disappointed with the world and atmosphere of the game, and the story is prettyA tough as nails RPG that will kill you at the drop of a hat, It never feels overly difficult, just difficult like a lot of old games, maybe it's just because I'm not very familiar with this kind of game, I bought it in the Fallout Trilogy pack because Fallout 3 maybe my favorite game of all time, and I wasn't disappointed with the world and atmosphere of the game, and the story is pretty good but I doubt I'll ever see the end of it due to the fact that I suck at this, still if your like me and liked Fallout 3 and want to see where it began this is a good purchase. Expand
  11. Mar 18, 2011
    My one real problem with Fallout is that I don't think the game has aged as well as other games like it. At the time of it's release by far the best game of the year. But the graphics aged badly and frankly the interface is cumbersome. However, I think the introduction video/cutscene remains the best ever created to this day in terms of creating an ambiance and setting the mood of theMy one real problem with Fallout is that I don't think the game has aged as well as other games like it. At the time of it's release by far the best game of the year. But the graphics aged badly and frankly the interface is cumbersome. However, I think the introduction video/cutscene remains the best ever created to this day in terms of creating an ambiance and setting the mood of the game. The story is great too. Voice acting, ditto.

If you can get around the control issue and the graphics, this is an awesome game.
  12. Apr 10, 2011
    This is not only a game
    This is the best adventure ever !!!
    Really the athmosphere is great the scenario just gets u really fast...
    The difficulty is pretty high if u dont save that often its mostly the same over and over again ^^ but if u like to save often this is the best...
    My favorite Game of all time!!!!!
    (beside the 2nd part) wich is equally or good or even better
    (3rd part sux) (too easy)
  13. Oct 1, 2012
    ЛУЧШАЯ ПЕКА РПГ ПАРНИ :3ЛУЧШАЯ ПЕКА РПГ ПАРНИ :3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  14. Sep 17, 2012
    This game was awesome when it came out in 1997, although only 2D it felt like playing a comic book. The combat system was great too, so good it's survived and made it into Fallout 3. The story was also great, and wandering the world was fun,
  15. Jan 12, 2012
    I remember booting up the old pentium 200mhz rig and playing this for days on end as a kid. This game brought the RPG genre out of the dungeons and into the wastes. There was nothing like it back then. Dunno if kids these days would appreciate it just because the graphics are very dated. But if you can see past that a very enjoyable game awaits! 10/10.
  16. Jun 14, 2012
    This game is very good. Story is cool, and the gameplay is fun. Yes its nothing like fallout 3. But what do you expect?
  17. Aug 12, 2012
    This is one of the best, if not the best, roleplaying games out there. It came as close as possible to being a pen-and-paper experience - with the ability to craft your own character the way you *want*, without choices being forced on the player. There are a few quirks in the system, and it's certainly not as big as the sequel, but the non-linearity. interesting plot and backstory make upThis is one of the best, if not the best, roleplaying games out there. It came as close as possible to being a pen-and-paper experience - with the ability to craft your own character the way you *want*, without choices being forced on the player. There are a few quirks in the system, and it's certainly not as big as the sequel, but the non-linearity. interesting plot and backstory make up for it. Try this game as soon as possible - you won't be disappointed. Expand
  18. Apr 23, 2012
    This is a really good game, a beginning to the best post-apocalyptic series out there. I can't complain about the graphics, this is indeed a good game. Combat is ok, and exploring the wasteland is pretty cool.
  19. Jul 26, 2012
    Being a huge fan of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas I thought I would play the first game. It was very different from the other two but is still an amazing game even when it was made. If you love Fallout try Fallout 1. Fallout 9.4/10
  20. Aug 4, 2014
    Really for uber nostalgia gaming buffs, due to the fact FO has not aged at all well. It is a very slow paced turn based post apocalyptic sci/fi themed RPG. The logic and design behind FO gave me more than one facepalm moment. Watching your team A.I. kill your own team by mistake. Seeing that two karate kicks to the face takes less action points than pulling just a trigger once. The fistReally for uber nostalgia gaming buffs, due to the fact FO has not aged at all well. It is a very slow paced turn based post apocalyptic sci/fi themed RPG. The logic and design behind FO gave me more than one facepalm moment. Watching your team A.I. kill your own team by mistake. Seeing that two karate kicks to the face takes less action points than pulling just a trigger once. The fist foot way is truly faster than an itchy trigger finger LMAO. Plus the fact your team A.I. can can do upto three to four actions to your one. Watching everyone else do the takedowns is most unsatisfying to say the least. Lot to like about this old game, but a lot to find annoying about it too. Sadly this won't run out of the box on most moderns systems too. I use the alpha mod FIXT these days just for ease of use to get it running better on modern systems. A great game "for its time", but that day has long since passed. Expand
  21. Jan 11, 2013
    This game is amazing even 16 years after release this game still rocks its a must play for everyone except those kids who cant see the beauty in an older game because it doesn't have the graphics like CoD(which are **** btw). anyway if you never played this game you just have to, go to gog.com and buy yourself a digital drm-free copy(it was even free for a few days). and if you want youThis game is amazing even 16 years after release this game still rocks its a must play for everyone except those kids who cant see the beauty in an older game because it doesn't have the graphics like CoD(which are **** btw). anyway if you never played this game you just have to, go to gog.com and buy yourself a digital drm-free copy(it was even free for a few days). and if you want you can get the Fallout-FIXT mod which improves the game and fixes a lot of bugs. Expand
  22. ogi
    Jul 10, 2013
    I've noticed the steady downhill slide of civilization Fallout 3 is rated higher than Fallout 1. This epic RPG deserves at least 9.5. I recommend this masterpiece all the gamers who can appreciate the qualities of the old isometric RPGs like Planescape: Torment or Baldur's gate. Fans of Gothic 1,2 should like it too.
  23. Apr 19, 2013
    OH! How i indeed love nostalgia! I dont even need to talk about this games history or anything of that nature. Instead ill just say, I love Fallout! The whole series, and this game is what started it all! Love the role playing element within the game. The story, and everything! Buut..most of all...the ATMOSPHERE! The atmosphere this game deveivers is simply something you rarely find inOH! How i indeed love nostalgia! I dont even need to talk about this games history or anything of that nature. Instead ill just say, I love Fallout! The whole series, and this game is what started it all! Love the role playing element within the game. The story, and everything! Buut..most of all...the ATMOSPHERE! The atmosphere this game deveivers is simply something you rarely find in video games of today! This game is revolutionary and nostalgic to me in all ways! Long live Fallout! Expand
  24. Jan 13, 2014
    Great game and great RPG.

+good story and atmosphere, dialogues and voice acting, good characters, freedom, creepy at times :) , blood and gore are nice touch to combat (its fun to shoot people and watch the effects)

-bugs,bugs,bugs
  25. Nov 12, 2013
    One of the absolute all time classic RPGs. Fallout had a shape all of its own with a great system, characters, idea and story. Fantastic old school top down RPG, if not THE best.
  26. Jul 15, 2012
    15 years on and this is still an amazing game, though the user score on here is shocking, some reviews on here are made by people who simply didn't give the game a chance.Yes there are bugs, there are also fixes, the only bug in the current version I found is the colour which is an incredibly easy fix.

One of the best games I've ever played, you will get used to the controls after a short time and if you pay the slightest bit of attention to the storyline you won't care about the fact that the graphics are 15 years old, give it a chance.

If you get stuck there's no shame in looking at a guide to set you back on the right track, if a section is too tough, there's no shame in turning down the difficulty, don't vote it low based on the fact that you couldn't work something out or that it took you too long to complete.
  27. Jan 8, 2013
    I'm still a bigger fan of Fallout 2, but this one is its predecessor so I understand that my favorite game won't be without the first part and so I love it too. The game is poorly balanced, buggy, but it has that unique atmosphere, multiple ways of quest solving, memorable characters and locations, great story, nice roleplay system (though most of the skills are useless). So all of thisI'm still a bigger fan of Fallout 2, but this one is its predecessor so I understand that my favorite game won't be without the first part and so I love it too. The game is poorly balanced, buggy, but it has that unique atmosphere, multiple ways of quest solving, memorable characters and locations, great story, nice roleplay system (though most of the skills are useless). So all of this made this game CULT back in 1997. And now in 2013 you can still play it and enjoy it, it's truly a classic game and a musthave for any CRPG fan.
    P.S. Half of the negative reviews contain the comparison to Oblivion. So I make the conclusion that the people who wrote them didn't even knew that they were playing Fallout 3, not the original. And it's kinda sad.
  28. Dec 2, 2013
    Second RPG PC game i ever played (after dungeon master) and funny is that no other game had so good atmosphere like this game. Almost every part of this game is perfect. Must own for every RPG fan and truly legendary game.
  29. Dec 21, 2013
    One of the all time greatest games ever made. This game would have an average user score of at least 9.3, but some jacka**es apparently can't tell the difference between the first Fallout and Fallout 3.
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    I remember getting this when it was new. This game really did change things. The graphics, the combat, the theme, back then it was all mostly a new revolutionary idea. It pains me to see how recent gamers hold this up to Oblivion. That's almost criminal. Judging an old game by current standards is just idiotic and not really a testament to what the game was really like in its prime.I remember getting this when it was new. This game really did change things. The graphics, the combat, the theme, back then it was all mostly a new revolutionary idea. It pains me to see how recent gamers hold this up to Oblivion. That's almost criminal. Judging an old game by current standards is just idiotic and not really a testament to what the game was really like in its prime. Fallout was just a marvel and I loved it to bits. I was also utterly surprised that Kevin Bacon's voice was in it (check the credits, he's there.) Overall: This is the game that changed the face of western RPGs forever, while it is a little rough around the edges, even at the time, it still is a great game, worthy of respect! Expand
  31. Mar 13, 2013
    the only negative aspect of this game is; it is too short for a rpg this good in every way possible (about 20 hours). thank god there is a fallout 2 which lasts more than 60 hours, and has an infinite amount of replayibility.
  32. Dec 5, 2013
    This game has too many strong qualities to adequately list them all. Atmospheric, darkly humorous, with memorable characters, meaty RPG elements, and possibly the best and most satisfying videogame ending of all time. Sixteen years on, the original Fallout remains the best entry in the franchise. No subsequent entry has been able to adequately reproduce the magic or improve the formula.
  33. Jul 22, 2013
    The definitive post apocalyptic experience that is yet to be topped. A dark, bleak and eerie atmosphere largely contributed by Mark Morgan's ambient soundtrack. The world feels hauntingly real and immersive. Fantastic characters and locations, each with their own feel and atmosphere to it. A relatively simple, but unforgettable and compelling plot and story, including one of the mostThe definitive post apocalyptic experience that is yet to be topped. A dark, bleak and eerie atmosphere largely contributed by Mark Morgan's ambient soundtrack. The world feels hauntingly real and immersive. Fantastic characters and locations, each with their own feel and atmosphere to it. A relatively simple, but unforgettable and compelling plot and story, including one of the most memorable antagonists ever.
    The isometric, real time and turn based combat gameplay works perfectly. My only main gripe is the lack of companion controls. Meaning I can't have companions hold excess loot without having to sell to them and having to buy it back.

Regardless, Fallout stands as the best Fallout as it has the best written story, atmosphere and game world.
  34. Aug 2, 2013
    I grew up playing this fantastic turn-based RPG game, i loved it then, I still love It now.

although I could never remember what to do/where to go as a child I can return to it and finish it in a few days if i perch myself on my chair like an eagle.

Well done, well designed, Game of the Year forever in my heart.
  35. Aug 28, 2013
    Greatest RPG of all time. Best writing of all time. Best voice-acting of all time. Also ,my review must apparently be at least 150 characters long for some reason.
  36. Sep 2, 2013
    This game is wonderfull and full of suprises.It has his own unique character that will let you escape from the usual boring medieval games.It has humor without being ridiculus.And when you use your weapons to destroy someone you feel a very satisfying bloodthirsty ecstasy.Ah and it is one of the best games ever made.
  37. Sep 19, 2013
    Fallout an all time RPG-game. The series that made me start it so many times and hardly ever finishing it. Good story, great characters, brilliant hypnotizing soundtrack, the atmosphere that no 3D game can hardly cover. The all time classic.
  38. Nov 6, 2013
    The Fallout series opened my eyes to games, before i was a 6-7 year old child playing on his Game boy and hating allot of good games for no reason, Until my Father bought a windows 98 computer, I played many great titles on that computer Including the Classic Fallouts'.

I still love this game today I've played it on-and-off ever since, great game, great story-line, good characters and events over all a massive full blown-out game. 100/100 (if games where rated like that)
  39. Aug 3, 2014
    War, war never changes! Excellent retro classic and one of the best cRPGs of all time, immensely influential game that aged very well and is a joy to play even today. Yes, there are a few shortcomings with companion control, few bugs, absence of a proper active quest journal, but other than that this is the ultimate masterpiece. Story, the humor, leveling up and perks, the atmosphere andWar, war never changes! Excellent retro classic and one of the best cRPGs of all time, immensely influential game that aged very well and is a joy to play even today. Yes, there are a few shortcomings with companion control, few bugs, absence of a proper active quest journal, but other than that this is the ultimate masterpiece. Story, the humor, leveling up and perks, the atmosphere and the overall post-apocalyptic experience is just a pure love. Ambient soundtrack by Mark Morgan is one of the best soundtracks ever created that I play on a regular basis for the last 15 years and it's likely my most listened to OST ever. This is a must-play for... well, for anyone really, it's a milestone in computer gaming history that needs to be experienced. Rightly belongs to my TOP-5 games of all time. 10/10 Expand
  40. Jan 14, 2014
    you are really missing out if you havent played this!

what is wrong with the world?
    fallout(and fallout 2) are in every aspect better than what bethesda....commited...

#13 score(10)
  41. Jul 21, 2014
    The classic post-apocalyptic RPG experience that spawned a great series. FO is challenging yet fun and satisfying and is still supported by a great community over at and mods that o enhance, fix and improve the Fallout experience over at "No Mutant Allowed" if you started at Fallout 3 and a fallout fan, this is must to have and a good addition to your collection and can be obtained forThe classic post-apocalyptic RPG experience that spawned a great series. FO is challenging yet fun and satisfying and is still supported by a great community over at and mods that o enhance, fix and improve the Fallout experience over at "No Mutant Allowed" if you started at Fallout 3 and a fallout fan, this is must to have and a good addition to your collection and can be obtained for peanuts when on sale Expand
  42. Feb 17, 2014
    Despite its age, Fallout 1 is still a very enjoyable experience, slightly spoiled by a few bad design choices. The worst being the time limit to complete the main mission that discourages exploration, and a lack of a good quest system.
    Despite its excellent writing, I also found the story to be a bit cheesy, but still a lot better than Fallout 3's story.
    Overall it's a true classic,
    Overall it's a true classic, leagues better than Bethesda's Fallout, but in my opinion, not the master piece that many proclaim.
  43. Feb 18, 2014
    OH MY GOD. How can anyone dislike this game? If your PC bugs out then get rid of your friggin viruses. No replay value? If you don't change the way you play it, then I guess it could seem so.
    This is a top cult classic game, which rocks the socks out of any other game ever made. PERIOD.
    I'd bet the reason "new kids" won't appreciate it is because they have no patience these days.
  44. May 5, 2014
    Fallout is fun, has a great plot, unforgettable characters, hilarious dialogues and the choices you make really affect the whole story. Still here? Do yourself a favour and play it now!
  45. Aug 23, 2014
    The first of it's series, Fallout gives you the aspect of a RPG game with high standards and graphics which I say are still good today on a lousy laptop. The atmosphere is outstanding for people new to RPG games. Where to start?
    Characters look the same but they aren't. You'll always see how various the people are in this game as the graphics DON'T make the game better, the game itself does. Let your imagination strike and think about how the characters look like! Some of them have voice acting, some don't. The facial animations aren't actually animations so whatever. The storyline is the most interesting (in the point of Intellectual storyline) after Half Life Trilogy. The Great War being placed into a long timespan dating from 2030s to 2077 when the nuclear bombs started replacing the rain from the clouds. You can see, everything looks like 1960s for a reason. It's then when this thing almost happened the same back then! But didn't, which in Fallout did. The soundtrack gave the atmosphere plus points and it's great. The gameplay is awesome, based on strategy combat.
    So this game marked my childhood - as everyones'. Some may agree, some may don't.
  46. Mar 18, 2013

An amazing game that stands up to the test of time.

All of those are in the game.

1. The mood is right, the graphics good, and the plot compelling. I found the tactical combat system refreshingly intelligent, and the multitude of ways you can approach the game from a stats point of make a wide variety of styles possible in the game.
  2. This sequel to an all-time classic is one of the standout RPGs for the 1990s. [Jan 1998, p.221]
  3. Fallout's detailed graphics, compelling plot, and intuitive gameplay should deservedly broaden its appeal beyond the hard-core role-playing game audience. Put simply, Fallout may be the best role-playing game to be released in years.