8.2

1. Dec 24, 2012
    What's all the hype about? Boring, Stupid A.I and yes! another broken console port. The game has been broken since release with a micro stutter that nvidia and amd users are both experiencing. My guess is, ubisoft won't even bother to fix it, why break with tradition, right ubisoft?? I quit playing half way through the first island, I couldn't take it anymore. Ubisoft continues their tradition of releasing broken games with this disaster. Aside from the broken port, it's just not fun - Bad A.I, and just a piss poor implementation of an open world game. Pass on this game, until you can get it for 5 bucks at a garage sale. Expand
  2. Feb 22, 2013
    Pardon me, but this is half as good as it could be,. Great graphics, great enviroment but really poor variety of gameplay. To me is way worst than Far Cry 2, that at least has a better immersion and more challenging combats, making situations different any time. I mean that they are really similar but the predecessor gave me really more fun than this one. The story also is not deep as it could be.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    The hunting feeling is great, but your character gets strong really fast and then completely overpower anything on the island. Bosses: Vaas was great, the rest were all stereotypical and boring. The main character doesn't behave as I would like him to also. He's scared of blood :p. He doesn't have sex with the girls. He never just hold on to one bad guy after beating him up and ask him to explain why the **** do they all work for this sickos?
    Wonderful environment otherwise. I Loved it.
  4. Dec 29, 2012
    Not too shabby. Good graphics and lots to do, though I find I cannot play for more than a couple hours at a time without getting frustrated or losing interest. There are badguys everywhere all the time and while I have specific goals I want to accomplish, I always end up engaged in firefights and running out of ammo before I can even get to them. The open world 1 player is pretty cool, but the co-op is too linear. There's not enough stuff or slots to carry it in (unless you go farm local fauna/flora.) You get killed after taking 3 or four bullets and restoring health is a sloppy pain. I also find I am running out of ammo too much- there needs to be more arrows laying around. The Hud/minimap and menu controls are just plain clumsy. I think I've been spoiled too much by Borderlands2. If I didn't need to listen for enemies, I would play the game listening to mp3s -the in-vehicle radio play lists are highly annoying. Also, I appreciate the value of a well-placed f-bomb, but the swearing is a little over the top and into the realm of ridiculousness like some potty-mouthed 7th graders wrote the script. With a little more polish, this title could shine instead of glowing moderately. Expand
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    A great game that checks all the right boxes. Finished it as of tonight and although I took my time, it's worth it. Some say the story was cliche and cheesy but it felt like a good fit for the game. It was not the best as it was repetitive, but so are all Far Cry games to a great degree. If you want to play a shooter with a good story tons of action and takes some time to finish, pick it up.
  6. Nov 12, 2013
    Wonderful. A real, detailed open world where hunting humans is (partially) the name of the game. Superbly immersive and repairs the errors made by far cry 2.
  7. Mar 29, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is an extremely immersive open-world shooter with good graphics, great audio, and tons of content. It also features one of the most incredible villains gaming has ever seen. The shooting is top notch, and there are tons of guns to choose from, as well as combat styles (sniping, stealth, heavy weapons, etc.). Just about the only complaint I have is that it's very disappointing to explore a large cave, and find nothing but a chest with vendor trash inside and maybe a bit of cash. Also, the perks make the game too easy, but you can always choose not to take them.

It's a miracle that games of this scope are still being made today in an age of incredibly short, rehashed games. Absolute must for fans of sandbox games and shooters.
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    Firstly, let me say if there is anything in life you want to achieve today, do it before starting this game!
    It is so easy to lose yourself in this game, 4-5 hours slip by so easily.
    This is without any doubt, the best game I have ever played. It puts the makers of the Call of Duty games to shame, the quality is unbelievable.
    I spent 60 hours on the campaign and saw no glitches,
    mistakes, pixels out of place anywhere.
    The storyline keeps you hungering for more and has plenty of surprises in store. Then when you finish the campaign store there is so much more to discover, side missions, competitions, hidden relics etc.
    Everything I heard people complain about from Far Cry 2, they have both fixed and improved upon.
    Started co-op with a friend last night and found it to be amazing.
    The co-op missions are Hard, you will really need to work at completing them.
    I look forward to Multiplayer as I am sure the quality that is evident in every other aspect of this game will be present.

I give this 95/100 Best game I have every played!!!
  9. Jan 8, 2013
    Game of the Year 2012. Far Cry 3 strikes the perfect balance between sophistication and simplicity with a terrific plot that'll keep you glued to the end. As a shooter, I must say that the "weapons" look and feel amazing and in this area at least the game seems to take some inspiration from the original Call of Duty: Black Ops (a very good thing). Just amazing. The only complaint I have is that I don't care of the cast of characters the protagonist must save - I wouldn't care to know them in the real world. I'm not sure if Ubisoft created these characters as an inside joke or if they really believe they're likeable. A small mar on an otherwise impressive achievement that does more to move the FPS genre forward than any other game this year. Highly recommended. Expand
  10. Mar 3, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Tons of things to do, amazing graphics and the bad guy is super nuts. Driving, some crafting (nothing too crazy) and lots of cool weapons.
  11. Dec 14, 2012
    From Far Cry 3 i was expecting more. I knew this would be just console port, but it's good port. But it's port, and this mean that we need powerfull hardware for high resolution and details. More powerfull even not so good graphics. Pop up is appearing, stretch the edges of the screen and FPS dropping on my Phenom 955 and Radeon 7950... this is too much. But the game offers a lot of freedom. There are two island, and a lot of enemy outposts, and you chose way to capture it. There is a lot of side missions, some of it is very useable but some of it bring just money. However, gameplay is much improved over it's predecessor, eliminating most frequent enemis respawning in the recently captured enemy bases, Storyline is sometimes good, and sometimes is inspired by the Spanish serial movies. Despite all this, far cry 3 offers a lot of freedom in determining the missions to play and how to play them, a rich and varied gameplay, and decent graphics, and occasionally a good story. With all this game will provide plenty of fun for everyone. Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    What happens when you combine the games Uncharted, Call of Duty and Fallout? You get Far Cry III. This game is loads of fun. Good shooter mechanics in an open world game with platforming dungeons and puzzles.
  13. Jan 7, 2013
    For me, this is the GOTY. I have played Far Cry 1 and 2, and i'm really glad to see they combined the best out of those 2, and put it together.
    First of all, the world is amazing! it really gives you this skyrim feeling. i'm not saying it's better than skyrim of course ;)
    you get alot of weapens, bow, rocket launcher, assault rifles, flame thrower etc.
    you can swim, drive, fly. it's
    amazing :)
    really love it, you will nog regret it!
  14. Sep 21, 2013
    I've only played the campaign, which took about 20 hours, and there is still a ton for me to do on the map... so this review is primarily based on the campaign. If you can judge the quality of a game by the lack of work and sleep one achieves while playing it, than this is great, possibly a 10, but I don't hand out 10's easily. I often found myself in 3hour gaming sessions (not normal for me) and up at 3am. It's quite the ride. Some say it's dark, but I found it flat-out hilarious. Whatever that says about me. Highly recommended; while I waited for this to come on sale before purchasing (wasn't sure if I'd like it), I will certainly purchase FC4 immediately when it comes out, it's worth the full price.
    My only con for not being a 10 is some of the gameplay buttons are a little unresponsive, ie. "Hold Q to heal" sometimes I'm holding Q while this is up and nothing happens, sometimes I tap Q and it heals, sometimes it's a bandage, sometimes it's a syringe, sometimes it does nothing still (yes, my keyboard works fine); can't figure it out and I usually NEED it then, it's more like MASH Q TO HEAL AND HOPE at that point.
  15. Feb 21, 2013
    This is so much better than the last game. Beautiful world, nice combat mechanics, fine story. Definitely the best game of 2012. Thanks Ubisoft, Thanks!
  16. Jan 27, 2013
    I only got this game recently not knowing what to expect ,but how I'm completely addicted to it, the graphics are amazing and it runs incredibly smoothly. The game play is very fun and there are lots to do in the huge world that is one big playground. The story is good and the characters are very likable including the main antagonist Vass. Overall a great game and worth 9/10
  17. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is definitely one of the best games of 2012, there are almost too many positives to list. It looks great, it has smooth controls, the story is awesome, and the gameplay is very fun. Really the only thing I can think of that isn't absolutely great about this game is the main character. This may not really bother some people, but it feels like, which I guess it what they were going got, your playing as a snobby, attention craving, overly-dramatic and spoiled rich kid. Still, the rest of the game makes that very easy to overlook. Expand
  18. Dec 12, 2012
    10 out of 10? I don't think so. Although, I admit I'm not mad either. Think of it as Far Cry 2 with a face lift. If you've played that, then you'll get the feeling of doing pretty much the same thing as before. As a matter of fact, it feels so much the same, you may want to ask yourself if you're in the mood to play Far Cry 2 again. They added a few things. If you want to carry more... bigger wallet, bigger rucksack for items, bigger ammo case etc., you hunt animals and skin them. That was fun, but It took about an hour and I had pretty much upgraded everything. I started gathering items and cash, but here's something I found odd. As in Far Cry 2, you had to quest to make more items available. No problem. In Far Cry 3, you unlock radio towers. But here's the catch, the items aren't only unlocked, they become free. So I'm walking around with a stuffed $6,000 wallet and I've already got everything and not a single reason to loot dead bodies or pick up cash. Modifying weapons cost a little, yeah, but upgrading your favorites only takes a second and your done. Now I'm thinking, what do I do now? In other words, in two hours, there may be plenty to explore, but no reason to do it!

Skills are boring too. The standard ones that increase health are obviously important but the rest are more like "skills of convenience" if you know what I mean. There aren't any you feel like you really want. I've got fifteen skill points and I don't even care. There's nothing there beyond increasing health and a couple of other ones that make a difference. The rest? zzz zzz.

So what's the verdict? Is it worth playing? I'm not finished with it and I will finish it... eventually. Games that get the ratings this one got are supposed to lock you in front of your computer and not set you free until you've savored every morsel. This one? It's like going to a buffet where all the items taste pretty much the same. You'll play it maybe because your hungry but you won't really care what you want next.

As a side note, it may be worth waiting for because there are a few bugs on the pc version. It stutters like a dog unless you can get fps over 60 on the low end. I've got an Intel 3820 oc'd to 4.2 ghz and an Nvidia gtx 680 and need to run on medium settings. I had to get the top fps to about 115 for the normal buttery smoothness I'm accustomed to. And that's borderline. If I even turn on anti-aliasing to any degree, I have to reduce the graphics to low, so I settled for medium and no AA. You can google "Far Cry 3 stuttering" for more info.

The game has value. Think of it like Santa putting a Bugatti Veyron in your drive way but then discover the only place you can drive it... is around the block. It's fancy, but the track is the same.
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For some reason, this has really drawn a lot of ire. The experience isn't perfect, but it's pretty damned good. People are saying the characters have no depth? Did people completely miss the intro to the game? Did people miss that Vaas was in the game? I haven't seen a performance in a game like that in a long time. Vaas' entire performance right down to the little psychotic manerisms is downright terrifying. My biggest gripe about the story is that he's not around for the whole thing. The other characters are well done, but Vaas steals the show. To think that Michael Mando almost didn't get the part...

I have not tried the multiplayer and have completed about 75% of the single player content. Overall it's a solid experience. The development of Jason's character from a California boy, whimpering and trembling when he sees his brother take a life, then turned to a hardened jungle warrior is really good. Rather than being thrown into hostile territory and becoming a badass merc instantly, you transform into it. The graphics, guns, shooting, driving, sounds are all top notch.

No, it's not perfect. The pretty graphics will take a beast of a machine to maintain playable FPS. I run a 2500k @ 4.5ghz with Crossfire 6950 GPUs. It runs well for me, but there are glitches and hiccups. Sometimes the enemy AI will pull stupid moves, like tossing a molotov at a tiger that's in melee range and burning themselves to death (those guys ARE tanked though, so maybe it makes sense...). Before you get the reduced fall damage perk, trips down steep slopes will hurt you more than they probably should. Getting swarmed by a bunch of guys in melee range usually results in inescapable death. That's frustrating, but at least it's realistic. IRL if you're surrounded 4:1 and get knocked to the ground, you probably aren't walking away. The enemy is suspiciously accurate with their grenade tosses. Some of the side activities are hammy. Some of Jason's dialog is way overdone.

Ultimately those are minor complaints. Overall, the experience is much improved from Far Cry 2. No more endless, unavoidable patrols on the roads. Or checkpoints that seem to respawn within seconds. Again, things aren't perfect. The first aid animations are well done but greatly reduced in variety from Far Cry 2. I almost wish they had kept the same number of animations and possibly added the new ones instead of using the syringe healing again. You can't sleep. This was good in Far Cry 2 so you could approach objectives under cover of night. Not so here.

The unlocks, side missions, and treasure items offer plenty for completionist players, while also showing you some cool out-of-the-way areas on the island that you might otherwise miss. The Trials of the Rakyat have some decent variety of scenarios and you can compete for the high score against other players. The little bits of humor are great. There's nothing like sneaking up on a pirate who says to himself "Oh this **** heat...someone just shoot me!" and taking his wig off with a silenced pistol.

From what I've seen of the multiplayer, it's good, not great. It basically looks like any other multiplayer FPS out there.

Overall, this is a great game with a lot to offer. A single playthrough was worth the price, and it will definitely get played again. I hope if another Far Cry is made, it meets and exceeds the bar set here.
  20. Apr 22, 2013
    Far Cry 3 was really disappointment game even the story is good and it have Interesting characters but rest of the game is just meh and poorly made that made game way too easy even on master difficulty that i only played on half way then i stopped playign it. Every time i try play FC3 more, more i start hate it because of: Really bad enemy and team mate AI Useless crafting Useless rpg element that make game even more easier
    Useless hunting after you get all crafting itmes
    Build-in wall hack that they force you to use it
    Really bad mouse keyboard controlls especially aiming that is your worst enemy in whole game and force you to use controller
    Poor and useless fire element and it's also bugged that most of time you get hurt by invisible fire
    Way too many bugs from release day and they are still there
    Poorly optimized
    After dying you spawn random place and never to last save place

And list go on and on and on.......

So basically FC3 is just full of bugs and poorly made things that are clearly rushed.
  21. Dec 23, 2012
    One of the best games I've played to date. Incredible and immersive plot, brilliantly fun gameplay and plenty of side-quests and bonus content with plenty of humour on the side. Any game that contains Flight Of The Valkyries and Damien Marley sequences and still goes on to top them deserves special credit for that alone.
  22. Mar 3, 2013
    Awesome game, Love the story, graphics, Atmosphere, Open World which has quests like mmorpg, skill tree system, customizing weapons, general smoothness of gameplay its ecellent, ty very much Ubisoft Montreal. PS: Musics too i listen to it every now and than and it never bores.
  23. Jan 5, 2013
    Good graphics, sounds and excellent visuals. The story and the settings is innovative, even though the storyline itself is quite weak. To make a long story short: This is a GREAT improvement since FC2. However the game is slighly poorly optimized and there is lack of graphic settings for the PC version to make it even higher. Unfortunately, the game suffers when Singleplayer is done. The MP menu's is a mess and seems to be directly ported from the console version. There is no dedicated servers so you'll have to waitin a lobby and experience more unstable gameplay. Multiplayer is also far to dumbed down with features such as enemies on the minimap, killcam, and xray-vision - even though you CAN deactivate all this to your own preference, doing so will ironically, make you end up playing -UNRANKED-, which mean that you cannot gain any XP - at all. All in all, FC3 is by far the best game in the series, but unfortunately its shortcoming makes the experience drop for me and it does not feel like it gives the PC a fair piece of the cake. Expand
  24. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is simply amazing and quite possibly one of the first games in a long time to not disappoint. The graphics are stunning, the audio is amazing, and the story is captivating. It took me about 4 1/2 days to beat it and I am thoroughly satisfied. There were some minor quirks that I didn't like about the game, normally the set and times scenes that seemed a little ridiculous, but once they were over I was not left feeling annoyed, but accomplished, so I assume that's what they were going for. I would recommend this game to anybody, which is more than I can say about all of the other worthless junk out right now. Expand
  25. Mar 14, 2013
    This game is by far one of the best games I have ever played. Never before have I've gotten so much adrenaline playing a game, the story is an amazing thriller and interesting (it does get a bit weird though).
    Do by all means buy this game!
  26. Mar 2, 2013
    I went into this game expecting some mindless entertainment, and was completely caught off guard. The Rook islands are gorgeous and full of places to explore, contain a wealth of semi-enjoyable side missions to complete, and serve as a contrast for the ugly brutality that goes on within them. The characters, save for Jason Brody, aren't terribly interesting and are very one-note, and dialogue is at times cringe-worthy. Combat is exceptionally fun, and is very easy for the player to tailor to fit their style of play. But, in my opinion, Jason Brody's story is where Ubisoft Montreal knocked it out of the park. Throughout the game you'll be shown quotes from Alice's Adventure in Wonderland, which is a fitting parallel for the story of Far Cry 3. Jason Brody is transformed by the islands, and savage characters he's forced to deal with. The ending did a very good job of showing this off, and left me wondering how I was ever put in such a mad situation. Easily one my favorite games of last year, only hindered by some minor quibbles. If you're on the fence about this game, I'd say give it a shot it might impress you like it did me. Expand
  27. Dec 20, 2012
    Great game give me almost everythingI want in a sandbox adventure. The history are very well written, the scenariosare beautiful and dinamics, chase animals are great, the gunfight its solid, only the stealth are not perfect, but ok. The games could be better, of course, but for me, in 2012, is the best FPS over the year
  28. Jan 13, 2013
    I really don't know why everybody giving this game highest scores. This game for sure have potential to be 10. But too much in this game is made wrong or bugged. First, game is too easy and missions.. Well, stupid. Go there, kill 10 people. So, after going to site there is literally 3 minutes of work to get mission done. Further, story is that linear that if you have mission and you etc. see tv tower near you get killed to "fail mission" if you want to reveal map when around. So , potential is here. Few minor updates and this game would be pure 10!!! Expand
  29. Jan 10, 2013
    The best part of far cry 3 is the singleplayer. The island is huge and pretty. The wildlife is done great and the "survival" aspects of the game is great fun. There is a lot quests to keep you busy but the quests that is not part of the main campaign is not very varied and will therefor get quite repetitive pretty fast. You can however for the most time decide how you approach your goal which is a nice feature. The main campaign of the game is surprisingly varied and the story have a lot of good moments and memorable characters. The story do however also have some weak spots with some really silly plot turns. The gunplay and action isn't the best that i have seen but that do not have a huge impact on the game since the gameplay is as varied as it is. The singleplayer do however have some minor problems. Radiotowers and enemey bases get old really fast. terrible boss-battles, quicktime events, strange enemy back-up and annoying heavy soldiers is a couple of examples. The multiplayer part of the game is alright. The co-op is a lot more actions oriented than the singleplayer which kind of sucks since that wasn't the best part of the game. The normal multiplayer is bland but ok. I would say that the game is overall quite impressive and that the singleplayer is enough for me to recommend this game to everyone with an interest in the genre. Expand
  30. JEK
    Mar 20, 2013
    one of the best fps I've played. The game was smooth and an open world with lots of animals. Sub missions are repeatable and also the enemies has the same face. But overall this is a good game. Nice graphics and Nice View of the environment. Hopefully they release far cry 4 as soon as possible,
  31. Mar 7, 2013
    If you do not like this game, you just are not a game fan, or (very likely from the PC elitists crowd) your just automatically hate AAA releases. You're one of those "indie" guys. First off anyone that says the graphics stink are just insane, they are incredible besides a couple of questionable terrain textures in spots. You will need a GTX 680+ to max out this game at 1080p with 8x MSAA. The combat is really where this game shines, it is more varied and exciting than any single player FPS in recent memory. Maybe even since (blasphemy) Half-Life 2! Take em all out silently with the chained takedown, or roast them with the flamethrower, or set up a mine and throw a rock so they walk over it. Snipe from afar, impale them with arrows, use a predator (tiger) to help you out! The story is as cheesy as it gets I'll admit, but not the worst as games go. The main bad guy is at least interesting. It's an open world shooter, reminding me more of fallout, but unlike fallout the gunplay is very smooth without the assistance of something like VATS. The story and side quests suck compared to fallout, but the action and exploring the island/taking outposts is so fun I don't think you'll be doing anything, but playing this game a couple of hours into it. Unless your a PC snobbington, which appear to be more and more prevalent these days. Expand
  32. Dec 31, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is without a doubt the best single player game of the year. While the story of Jason Brody is a bit convoluted and unbelievable, this can be ignored as the story is merely a catalyst to discover the incredible environment of Rook islands, to interact with the fantastically presented characters and to enjoy the ludicrously good gunplay.
    People have said this is Skyrim with guns
    but instead of putting you in a massive open world and simply leaving you to your own devices, Far Cry 3 gives a great amount of encouragement for you to explore, hunt and gather the materials you will need to get better weapons and equipment. It also does this without boycotting you or making feel as if you have no choice in what you do which links to the main ethos of Far Cry; You play Far Cry how you want to play Far Cry. You can go in stealthily and take over outposts undetected or you can go all guns blazing and have to deal with reinforcements, you can just go straight to the story missions and do optional objectives later or you could gradually go through all the outposts and watchtowers on your way to the next story mission.
    All the characters are stellar. With the exception of Jason Brody and his friends, which may come as a surprise to you Jason being the main character with his friends being his objectives but they are all rich, dumb, stoned kids who are not that likable but in their defense they aren't nauseating either, however it is definitely interesting to see how Jason changes from the brash, dumb, self-loving kid he was into a warrior spurred on by his love for killing and thirst for revenge. All of the protagonists set backs however are redeemed in the performances of the three main antagonists: Buck, Vaas and Hoyt, all having distinct , insane personalities that produces some of the most unforgettable performances in video game history. Vaas in particular is one of the best villains ever let alone just video games thanks to the awe inspiring acting of Michael Mando.
    I haven't really delved into multiplayer that much but it is decent addition to the game if feeling slightly forced and there is co-op mode in the style of left-4-dead that is a lot of fun but there are some issues with the competitive racing elements online which brought me out of the experience.
    In short conclusion Far Cry 3 has one of the best single player open world experiences in existance supported by a decent multiplayer suite and fun if slightly flawed co-op campaign that is as fun but not as open as the single player campaign. I haven't had the chance to experiment with the powerful map editor yet because of some frame rate drawbacks but from what has been said on the internet it is one of the best creation tools out there so if you can check that out.
    Despite how it may have changed to some die hard far cry fans, Far Cry 3 is an incredible and unique experience that cannot be missed.
  33. Mar 1, 2013
    I'd probably give Far Cry a 8.5 if I could but I'll generously round up to 9. The first couple hours are a lot of fun as you explore the island and it's secrets. Gameplay is decent (played with Xbox controller). Upgrading weapons and skills is a lot of fun. The environment is very nice and adventurous. The main problem of the game is it's, at times, ridiculous story line. Especially the boss fights are a bit disappointing. Overall,it's a great game with a bad story. If you love just exploring, sniping, and doing some crazy fun stuff with a bow or other fun weapons go right ahead., and don't pay too much attention to the story, instead tell your own. Expand
  34. Jan 27, 2013
    Great game, the stealth, the combat, the environment, everything.
    I haven't been that addicted to a game for AGEES. I'm tired of those boring ultra-repetitive games like Portal 2(who IMO deserves a 5 instead of 9.8)
  35. Jan 30, 2013
    In one word: awesomeness. It looks gorgeous, its fun, its kabooom blow up everything mixed with the most enjoyable stealth assassination mechanic I have ever met in a game,especially in an FPS. Its "Just Cause" mixed with "Assassin's Creed". Ok maybe that went far, but I must tell you I haven't enjoyed a game so much in the last two years then this one (except for Dark Souls, but thats another matter). Addictive, funny, and we love Vaas, dont we?:D I very much hope the franchise will follow this line, as after Far Cry 1 (which is one of my most favourite game) Far Cry 2 was a boring let down. But you must have this game! Expand
  36. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Positives:
    - Open worldish with a strong story line (trying not to inject reality here but I will say that the older brother Grant should be the Main Character and Jason should have died) that is, of course, told in a linear fashion
    - Decent gun play and a large variety of weapons, tactics, etc.
    - Good stealth mechanics
    - Decent graphics
    - Great voice acting (Vaas will go down as one of the all-time great villains in video games)
    - Doable platforming that is not horribly frustrating but is still a challenge
    - Well written
    - Great soundtrack and very immersive use of sound throughout the game

Negatives - - The AI will sometimes just go plain stupid on you
    - A few glitches in terrain and other areas that cause you to restart a checkpoint
    - Occasional rendering bugs, for example, there are times when you look like you have a headshot but are really hitting the rock in front of you

All in all this an almost great game and well worth the price.
  37. Mar 21, 2013
    I picked this game up from the store played it and as soon as i was in, i couldn't stop! The story is amazing, the gameplay is fantastic, the stealth system is the best, and the music is very well done too as i find myself listening to its soundtracks alot. And even after playing and finishing the game twice i still play it. No matter what you cannot miss out on this game!!
  38. Jun 4, 2013
    Just finished the game. Wow. Amazing. I played with ziggy's mod, and that added immersion really helped. To me, all games have two things- immersion and gameplay. Gameplay makes up combat, level system, and repetition. Immersion makes up graphics, sound, actions, and storyline. Gameplay- 10/10. Immersion 9.5/10. The boss battles and plot could've been better, but don;t skip out on this game for pc! Expand
  39. May 4, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a brilliant display of game design by a professional development team, working in the the adventure game genre and applying so many lessons in game design from other games and bringing them together very well. The game, finally is well built, big, fun to play, and also, on highest difficulty very challenging. Models, lighting, weapon play and AI are all excellent. The environmental art and animal behavior is fantastic. Nothing is perfect and it is possible to complain about various design choices, such as the high number of QTEs and the console port clumsiness of the UI on PC. But that is splitting straws. Far Cry 3 boasts a large, brilliantly realised environment, which is beautiful and fun to roam. NPC dialogue and interaction in the general exploration of the island are almost non existant, however it is not a RPG, so much as a FPS, so the lack of interaction with passive NPCs is forgiveably replaced with the gameplay of a 'lone hunter'. To enjoy this the player is offered, cars, trucks, jet skis, quads, boats, hang-gliders and an arsenal of weapons to play with. It is quite a buzz driving at full speed along the narrow island roads, or using molotov and a flamethrower in chaotic battle with a dozen enemies or more, when you can literally set the mountains on fire. The game really has two parts: The open exploration game and the main story-line. The sandbox is great so long as you do not capture all enemy bases. You need enemy bases to spawn guys to fight so clearing the island is a BAD idea and destroys the core gameplay. DON'T DO IT. The other part of the game is the set-piece linear 'main story'. In truth this has pros and cons. The story is great but is totally linear. It also requires a range of different game actions to succeed. There are plenty of quick time events and it can be frustrating replaying sections after numerous fails. Despite some qualms about the play style the set story is really good. We have here stella writing and great humour. The key NPC's are brilliantly written and the voice acting is spot on. While the pirate leader Voss is great, I prefer the drug-fiend doctor and the CIA agent who gets my vote as the FUNNIEST NPC yet writen in the history of game design. Who would imagine references to 'pinkos' in a game written in 2012? Crafting and hunting in the game find a reasonable balance of fun and tedium. They are necessary for a time but are not required once you have skinned enough tigers to get the biggest carry bags. Think about that for a moment and tell me that video games are politically correct. The skill sets are fairly well designed, but not as good as they could have been. It's too bad they are unlocked only through the main quest line. The game offers, finally almost unlimited driving around, running, shooting and arson, on a beautiful set of islands. There are also dozens of different challenges and minigames to try out or master as well as a interesting background story in the form of relics and war letters from the Japanese occupation in WWII, as well as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' style temples and artifacts. Probably the most important advice about this game was already given: DO NOT TAKE ALL THE PIRATE OUTPOSTS. If you do that the bad guys dry-up and you will become quickly bored in a peaceful paradise. A final nod also to the sound design. We often forget to praise the music mixers and the sound engineers when we praise a design, because the sound effects are so deep a part of the experience we may not even notice them. In this game listening is as important as looking while you roam about and the music rises to match the frenzy of combat brilliantly. It's not a perfect game, but its pretty damn close. What could be PERFECT according to gamers spoilt by such a wealth of great games in the past couple of years? Far Cry 3 hints that a truly perfect game is becoming a possibilty quite soon. This game with a better UI, better (longer, deeper) skill trees and REAL choices/ real interactions with NPCs would be perfect. Witnin the next couple of years one of these great games is going to cross the line and be PERFECT, the Hamlet of game design. Which team will reach Nirvana first? Expand
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    I loved Far cry 2 and this game improves everything about Far cry 3. New patch out and i would recommand the mod where all your skills are unlocked so you can have more time with some of the cool takedowns and keeps the guns LOCKED until you pay for them. The game will feel more like a survival game. That's my only problem it needs more on the survival part, but as of right now. The best Open world FPS out there. Second island is locked till you do the story so it's not that open world! Expand
  41. Jan 23, 2013
    First I was happy cause the sp is quitte good.. then i started playing the mp.. WOOOOW seriously leave the mp out if you make it THIS BAD! Bunny hopping is back... ANNOYING.. MEGA BAD LAG.. SERVERS SUCKS.. CRASHES.. Wow this must be on of the worst multiplayers ive played in the last 5 years..
  42. Feb 11, 2013
    I bought this because I was misleaded to believe that this game was skyrim with guns, I love skyrim and to compare Far cry 3 to Skyrim is an insult to bethesda and skyrim fans, this game has absolutely nothing to dowith skyrim except that is open world and you hunt that's about it, you cant craft something you can sell like in skyrim, you can't wear different outfits like in skyrim, bad guys always look and act the same, in skyrim bad guys have different armours different weapons etc etc etc. Don't get me wrong Far cry 3 is an entertaining gane for a few hours but it gets extremely boring after that, oh and it looks like sh@#t in Xbox, I recommend you to wait for it to be on sale in steam and go for it Expand
  43. Dec 18, 2012
    I will agree with some in saying that this game does need some patching. That is not to say that this is a bad game by any means. I have dropped almost 70 hours in this game and I have only had it a little more than a week. I wanted to love Farcry 2, but there were too many things that nit-picked me enough to really coming off hating that game. The re spawning enemies at checkpoints, the malaria dynamic, the weapon degradation, and lack of a good fast travel and map system to name a few. They did fix those issues in FC 3. The shooting feels solid, although I will agree with some that, initially at least, the protagonist is just too good of a shot. This game feels like the game Farcry 2 should have been. The story is great, voice acting is great. The story missions are interesting and varied enough to keep you playing. The boss fights all boil down to quick time events but the narrative surrounding them in interesting enough for it not really to be a negative. My biggest complaint is the UI. Very consolish which is very common with ports. The game often has you double clicking through menus to do things, which makes it especially annoying when crafting items, it can get very cumbersome after awhile and is not very intuitive. You will not spend a ton of time with the menus so while annoying it is minor in the grand scheme of things. There were also several points when you see enemies spawn into the environment. The HUD feels very cluttered, Ubisoft already acknowledged they are working on a patch for that. I did experience some animation glitches here and there, but nothing game breaking. There are a few bugs to nit-pick but nothing game breaking and that cannot be fixed with a patch or two.

Nvidia released Beta drivers 310.70 which added a much needed SLI profile, my performance damn near doubled so if you are running SLI this update is a must. Graphically the game is impressive, very bright and vibrant, which offers up a great contrast to the violence going on around you. Waterfalls do not look quite right, Skyrim did a better job in that regard. Not much else to say everything works as intended and looks great. The game features two different endings which are worth playing through to get both. Aside from that there are A LOT of collectibles to get and a lot of things to explore. There is just a lot of content outside of multi-player which is a rarity in this genre. I did get my money's worth out of this title. This time around Ubisoft remembered that in an open world game, we want to do more than just murder tons of dudes, which was also a big drawback from FC 2. FC 3 is one of the best shooters I have played all year and is definitely worth your time and money. I would like to do a more in depth analysis, but that would mean spoilers so I will leave it here.
  44. Feb 19, 2013
    simply put Amazing. from the running mechanics to the handbrake sound of cars, from the way weapons feel to the satisfaction of seeing your enemies fall from your bullets. There is no point in talking about what I like about FC3, so I'll just stick to the easy way, criticising. The driving was awesome, though I can't help feeling that they will pull it off perfectly in FC4, vehicle physics need some refinement (add more weight, add more traction properties). The stealth aspect of the game was BATCRAP awesome, but lacked a body dragging option (that takedown skill does not count. come on..). Maybe the story was a bit annoying at times, 4e.x. citra, wtf is her problem, did she rape me? anyway, awesome game, waiting for fc4! Expand
  45. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is an absolute blast! One of the only games of 2012 not to disappoint me. The overall experience is just phenomenal. I thought I would hate the gathering and crafting system, but it's awesome! I love the side quest and the whole structure of the game. The game is damn near a perfect fps single player experience. You should be able to get a good solid 30+ hours of game play.
  46. Jan 10, 2013
    BUY THIS GAME NOW. This game is absolutely amazing, I usually go in-depth and try give people a clear picture of a game when I review it but all I can say is this: This is basically Skyrim set on a tropical island in the present day real world with guns, amazing graphics, fascinating characters, a brilliant story and SUPER FUN side-missions, not to mention the great driving mechanics and freakin' sharks. If you're a videogamer you have to experience Far Cry 3 Expand
  47. Jan 11, 2013
    Remember when Half Life came out and blew everything away.... well that's Far Cry 3 but it's the year 2012. If you ever played Far Cry 1 or 2 then you will quickly realize that the developers took all the best parts and put it into Far Cry 3 plus more. 10 stars. Game of the year.
  48. Dec 27, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is absolutely amazing, the only thing preventing me from giving it a 10 was the ending and the boss encounters. Visually the game is very impressive and I loved the jungle setting. The gameplay was great and there is so much to do, by the time I had completed the story and all the extras I spent 30+ hours playing it. It's the best FPS I have played in years and I would recommend it to anybody. Expand
  49. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Almost perfect. I had a good time playing this game and I must say I still think about some things that happened, which is amazing. Story is interesting, unbelievable parts here or there but overall good. Characters really interesting. I just wish we got more info on some of them. Sound and visuals are good, not as good as in some of the games but they still do the job. When it comes to game play I have few things i didn't like. First gun recoil is almost to none. Guns are fun to shoot but it is too easy to unload a full clip in a same spot. If this is the first time Jason is shooting you would think he would have to battle that gun. Crafting is weird, it is gamey, but thing that i didn't like is that you make all there is in the first half of the game if you finish all the side quests. And the thing that I see as the biggest disappointment is the camera thing. Tagging is fine, but if you have the camera with you why cant you take any photographs that you can later view? Or if you can i didn't find how. Viewing those later would be awesome I think. And yes, Jason can't focus further than 50 meters, I understand that this might be limited by game engine or something. It just annoyed me a bit. Expand
  50. Dec 11, 2012
    Actually,this is an really AWESOME sandbox shooting game for those players who is new to the Far Cry series...but for the FANS...there is some TINY---VERY TINY disappointment in this game...especially...those total Far Cry 2 fans..... First of all, there's NO GUN JAMMING in this game...many people may ask "Isn't that nice ?"...Well, for those FPS player who wants to have a smoothly gunfight like the COD..."YES.".....but for those FC2 fans...that was really unacceptable...cuz it's fun and it's realistic for those hardcore FPS players....i know that sometime the mechanism is quite frustrating,but it is its feature---FUN and DANGEROUS, isn't it ? Second,the MONEY....yeh...i know that earning money fast isn't bad...but in Far Cry 3 ....it's just too damn fast !!! It just makes all this survival feeling game become tooo EASY for those hardcore FPS player or those who struggle finding diamonds in FC 2....(and yes, prefer the diamonds in FC 2) Third,there is no SLEEPING SYSTEM in these game..so..if you want to have a night walk of stealthy killing...you have to wait----till the sun set......and that's really damn long... And last, the HEALING SYSTEM is really really worse than FC2...it's just too "easy" for me---a FC2 player. So,if you are new to these kind of game....i highly recommend it ........it's a must buy for sure..........but for those FC2 fans...i think they should think twice whether you are ready to let go those fun experience and accept those new things... Still, i'll give this game a 8.3/10 for bringing soo much fun to me. Expand
  51. Dec 14, 2012
    The game is so fun, it could be the game of the year for me. But it isn't, for a one clearly understandable mistake. Matchmaking. The matchmaking is so fudged up, you barely can join a game and have fun, and if you manage to join, there's a 30% chance of getting the message "Migration of Host in progress" and then you mostly lose connection to host. But let's go back to singleplayer. You start off as a teenager when you get captured and you need to save your friends. The story isn't the greatest, but the gameplay covers any possible aspect of the game and you feel like you just have to play on and on and on. I recommend this to anyone who likes sandbox games, first-person shooters or even adventure games. Not complaining about the graphics, which are nice, but it looks a bit cartoonish in it's own way. Expand
  52. Dec 14, 2012
    I was not impressed by the latest Farcry release. When I first began the game it immediately reminded me of Just Cause 2. Both open world FPS games which drop you in a beautiful island in dire straights. Farcry 3 carries a more of a survival theme however and starts off catchy with a easy to follow cliche plot. When the intro is over and the world opens up to you things become dull and repetitive. Every animal on the island becomes your next handbag in the pursuit of latching infinitely more weapons to your person. You will literally feel compelled to kill everything you see other than your homies who wear different colored shirts. The bad guys are sometimes easy to miss despite their distinctive outerwear. Baddies will drive past you on the road and do nothing yet sniping one from distant cover alerts your targets entire gang of your position. On the up side, the lighting and effects are on par with other modern FPS games, the combat and weapons are well thought out and there be coop. The only reason I would recommend this game is if you plan to play with your friends. Could be fun to team up with 2 hang gliders and rain fury upon the helpless meth head mercenaries below. Expand
  53. Dec 16, 2012
    Ambitious but rubbish. The opening sequence of this game was so tight, captivating, well scripted and visually impressive that you think you're in for a perfect game and after that it turned to a milquetoast shooter that is easily forgettable. graphically this game is pretty impressive. the island the flora and fauna are equally impressive, but the game play is so repetitive and simplistic. for instance once you get a silenced sniper rifle the game becomes whack-a-mole. Find and elevated position (and there always is an elevated position) snipe from a distance and look at a bunch of disoriented ants run around because you shot the alarms to disable it. the skills are mostly useless. this game lacks depth, it tried to do everything but never developed itself.. the biggest issue that i have with this game is that it COULD have been so good. more weapons, more connections with the locals so you care about the island you're saving. better crafting, for weapons armor etc. also the vehicle controls are horrible. The AI is laughable, they go to the same places as their dead comrades and you just blast them again. i will say that the comments of the main character as you go along are refreshing, there are times when you do something awesome in a game and the character is silent, when you wish they understood the gravity of what just happened. overall not worth the price, and mostly just frustrating for what it could have been, and the moments of brilliance are not enough to carry this title. Expand
  54. Dec 20, 2012
    I'm a big fan of games and I play a lot of them. I ONLY play multiplayer games but on this game I played only the story mode. This game was fantastic and amazing. Extremely good graphics. Everything was so realistic that I could jump into the screen and play as the main character. WAY BETTER graphics from Battlefield 3. It is one of the best games on pc of all years. I finished the story on two days 'cuz I was playing 8-10 hours per day.
    The only thing you'll need to enjoy this game on the fullest is a really good pc!!
    If you have the pc and the money I suggest you to run to the shop and buy it immediately and start playing.
    Thank me later!! :)
  55. Dec 29, 2012
    This site, as the internet as a whole, became a place for trolls. No one, NO ONE would honestly gives this game less than 7, unless you have no love for shooters... And in this case you shouldn't bother playing it, isn't it? Oh, but I forgot! Of course you didn't even play it. And that's the real deal, isn't it?
    About the game: it's much better than FC2. The lack of context always stoped
    me from playing it for more than a couple of hours, Here you have a story and interesting characters. The graphics are excelent and the sound keeps you imersed.
    Weak point: boss battles. WTF these developers think? I really HATE quick time events and some minor issues. I would give it an 8, but it happens that the multiplayer is in fact great, and that's totally unexpected, at least for me.
  56. Dec 22, 2012
    The best game I played in 2012. Great, fun, open world, crafting, good history, good graphics, good vehicles, good customization, a lot of side quest, hunting. Really recommended.
  57. Dec 23, 2012

58. Dec 24, 2012
    A thrilling adventure from start to end, Far Cry 3 is as deep as the holes you'll be exploring. Far Cry 3; like it's predecessors puts you on an island and asks you to do pretty outrageous things in an effort to save your friends, and yourself, from the pirates and kidnappers of the island. Far Cry 3 adds more to the game in the form of quests and keeps the plot moving with the introduction of a more focused story element which has NPCs popping in and out of Jason's life. There is plenty to explore, and I find that it has a nice pace to it. Each part of the map requires you to take over a Radio Tower, which reveals part of the map. This encourages you to both explore, and to spend your time in a fixed area, insuring you aren't overwhelmed such as games like Just Cause 2, where the game world is so large you lose interest. There are a great number of vehicles and weapons in Far Cry 3. You don't feel like you need to farm money, or spend a great deal of time hunting vehicles. Guns can be earned for free by simply taking over radio towers, and special; more powerful weaponry can appear by collecting the various artifacts scattered all over the island. The story is interesting, but you need to approach it with an open mind, because there's more than meets the eye, and the island is quite alive with various wildlife all over, from birds to tigers; if you're not stalking it, it's stalking you. Simply put, Far Cry 3 is entertaining and fun, and you will have lots to do and enjoy doing it. Expand
  59. Jan 6, 2013
    Very solid 8 pushing into a 9. The world is amazing... nay, incredible... no scratch that, phenomenal! Such a beautifully polished looking game will drop your jaw the moment you step foot on the island. The story is engaging, and interesting, which is rare for an RPG nontheless a shooter! You immediately feel in danger when you explore the wilderness, as death is always close. The emotions the game evokes goes a long way to create a lasting experience.

From a shooter perspective, the gun play has its strengths and weaknesses. The weapons look beautiful, and sound equally so, but to those accustomed to more realistic games, be prepared to take an arcade style back seat. There is an added element of stealth, surprise, and AI hunting dynamic that make gunfights fresh and infinitely creative.

From an RPG perspective, the leveling system does afford some very useful extra skills that give very distinct advantages on the battlefield. The crafting system is really only a matter of collecting items and clicking a button, so don't expect much there.

Far Cry 3 set their bar incredibly high, and it feels as if they hit almost all the marks. What you will quickly find after a few hours of game play is that once the surface polish wears off, you see a fairly repetitive game play. It is a large open world, and might give the impression that it wants you to treat it as a sandbox exploring as you see fit, but this is where it falls a little short. Progression in the game is much of the same old, same old, with a couple twists and turns: go to pirate area, clear radio tower, clear the related outpost, do a bounty or hunter quest, collect items, and rinse and repeat just a little more east of here.

The first 10 hours of gameplay lends a truly eye-opening, grand experience. And when the grind sets in shortly after, you can break the monotony by choosing different weapon load outs of variety and challenge. The beauty of this game alone would be enough to get me back to play it every once in awhile, a great buy.
  60. Jan 16, 2013
    Absolutely it's the 2012 game of the year. Only few things sin the game. It has an super involving non-cliche story mixed with one of the best graphics ever. It has so many things to explore, weapons to unlock, basically everything that a game have to have. We also cannot forget about the super charismatic characters like the great Vaas. If you think that it's over, it comes with an intense co-op and multiplayer campaign that can be so longer that the main campaign. This is one of the must-have games before die. Expand
  61. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is great, but the constant framerate drops when NOTHING IS HAPPENING ONSCREEN is annoying as all hell. I know i have the recommended requirements because a lot of times where lots of things are happening. i still can run the game at 40-50 fps.
  62. Jan 20, 2013
    First 10 minutes of Farcry 3 starts brilliantly. The escape from Vass's camp was well done and the character of Vass himself was enjoyable. But then it goes down hill after you get a magic tattoo.

There is no challenge in this game what so ever. Even on the "hardest difficulty" it is hilariously easy. The AI is quite simply broken and spend most of the game killing each other or from
    wildlife to be an actual threat.. The story is pathetic badly written and a lot of the time makes no sense.

Graphics are great but can not make up for the simplified gameplay. The crafting system is a joke, you only need on type of leaf to craft any syringe, not that it matters as I never used the combat/hunting stims as there is no point. The skill system did not need to be in the game at all, seriously how many ways of stabbing an enemy do I need after I get the bow?

Not being able to turn off item glow or the items showing in your map is annoying forced hand holding crap that I would expect if I was playing on easy. Missions are often tedious and boring and "boss fights" are nothing more than badly done quick time events. If you have not bought this yet, either pirate it or wait for it to be around the 20$ mark.

It had huge potential and had some good ideas, memorable characters and the jungle is very attractive but the lack of challenging gameplay or sensible storyline makes the game fall flat on its face. Sad to see something that could of been brilliant had most of its fun points such as survival and stealth made useless or overpowered. Enemies have to be looking directly at you to see you, even then you have time to move into some bushes.

Probably my biggest buyers remorse of the past 6 months.
  63. Jan 29, 2013
    The single player was exciting and superbly entertaining. I enjoyed beautiful island with all its wildlife and madmen. The greatest downside was the multiplayer. NO DEDICATED SERVERS?? How can a PC multiplayer work without dedicated servers? The game stops and sometimes disconnects when the host leaves, it really gets on my nerves and I did not get the multiplayer experience I had hoped for.
  64. Jan 30, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is definitely the best so far in the Far Cry series. Ubisoft really knew what they were doing when making Far Cry 3. The graphics are just one of the many reasons why this game is amazing. Sure, it has its flaws, but they are easily overlooked and forgotten when playing this game. You will quickly be immersed in the game's huge open world with so much to do. First you will be working with Dennis on the first few main story quests, next thing you know you will be hunting a goat in order to get a second weapon, and NEXT thing you know you will be playing a Time Trial minigame set in the area. With the amount of things going on around you, from pirates walking down the road, then getting slaughtered by a tiger, to the Rakyat warriors getting into a gunfight on the bridge with the enemy pirates, the game feels so alive and real. The plot is the only big issue when playing, but you will most likely not be doing the main story line as you will be off hunting tigers to make that pouch to hold more ammo. Ubisoft doesn't do a very good job in developing the characters, as they don't really do a great job of explaining how Jason goes from never hurting a fly to murdering hundreds of pirates in order to save his friends and family. And it feels like the friends (and brothers) Jason is trying to save and even Jason himself are barely even likable.

The multiplayer and co-op mode is a whole different story. Take a tiny area of the single-player map, and pit players against each other online in a variety of gamemodes such as Team Deathmatch, Domination, and a few others, and you got multiplayer. It's fun, Far Cry 3's multiplayer is great. It is similar to single-player in a few ways, such as you heal yourself with bandages and even apply syringes. You also have the ability to revive your teammates if killed. The customization for your classes are also very nice, as you get a wide selection of weapons to choose from and can apply different mods to it, and equip something known as "Battle Cries", which are like perks but can be applied to your teammates as well. It is definitely not something to skip out on. However, you don't really get a choice considering no one plays the multiplayer. I can't speak for Xbox 360 and PS3 players, but as far as PC goes, no one plays the multiplayer, and it near impossible to find a match. The co-op is excellent too, it is a whole other campaign separate from the single-player campaign, but co-op (hence the name, obviously). The mission objectives do get a bit repetitive but the quick competitive mini-games that they squeeze in between them make them all the more fun. So last thing I gotta say is, if you are a fan of Far Cry 1 and 2, definitely get this game, and if have never played any Far Cry games, I really recommend them.
  65. Mar 2, 2013
    Fantastic story line, although once i completed the main quest line i wasn't compelled to continue single player. The side missions are ridiculously repetitive and boring. Multiplayer is alright, but nothing too special. The fact that you cant choose the coop chapter to play is extremely annoying. Lets not forget that this game is plagued by Ubisoft's pathetic platform, Uplay. Definitely worth playing, these complaints are mostly minor. The single player story was the selling point for me. Expand
  66. Jan 31, 2013
    It's rare that I play a game through. In fact, despite spending several hundred dollars on games in the last year, and investing vast amounts of my time to video games, I can probably count on one hand how many games I have played to completion in the last year. Far Cry 3 is one of them. From the beginning of the game you get the sense that you are in over your head. They throw you into situations where you don't know what to do with just enough information to survive. From running for your life when you are just learning to run, to being dropped in the middle of a fight with no weapons. You don't always have time to think, and can only react, and it made it feel that much more real for me. There were parts of the game that I never saw coming, and I loved it. Having said that, there are definite issues with the game. From repetitively taking over territory and towers, to the character reactions, their progression and their growth that just didn't feel natural. Sometimes you are thrown into a situation that is legitimately not fair, and you have no way of surviving. Sometimes the plot feels forced. And sometimes the quest that you're on feel boring and repetitive. All of these detract from the game, and do so in a very large way. For any other game, these issues would have taken it down by 2 or 3 points, and it is a testament to how fun this game is that I ended up still giving it a 9/10. Everything else was done so well, and the game was so enjoyable and addicting despite such major flaws that they raised the score to a 9/10. This is truly one of the only games on the market that I would really recommend to anyone without hesitation. Expand
  67. Feb 9, 2013
    The best shooter I've played since COD: 4 Modern Warfare in 2007. I wanted to give it 9.5/10 but that apparently isn't an option. Extremely high-quality across the board. I have not played the multi-player yet and am judging the game based on the single player campaign alone. It's brilliant in all the core aspects you'd expect in a GOTY-contender shooter, so let me concentrate on the characteristics of Far Cry 3 that make it unique and memorable. FIRST: story and writing. The game earns every bit of its Mature rating. The violence/language/brief nudity are not gratuitous, however. FC3 is the rare game that is undeniably better for their inclusion because they make the events seem much more realistic and add (a lot) of tension to key events. The game doesn't shy away from the horrific and brutal. Really refreshing to encounter this tone in a video game. The premise is simple: you, your brothers, and your 20-something friends vacation from the US at the wrong island and are taken hostage, to be sold on the black market by human traffickers. You're no warrior, but you'll be damned if you sit by and leave them to their fate. Because your character and his friends are so relatable, the emotional impact of this story attains a level rarely achieved in games. The dialogue and voice-acting are superb. Vaas is as memorable a video game villain as you'll encounter anywhere, and you'll hate his guts before the end. SECOND: exploration/open-world. The game-world is huge and enticing. Because there are no artificial borders to block your path, you can approach a battlefield from any number of directions, which impacts your tactics. Exploration is rewarded with loot and resources, adding a strong RPG element to the gameplay. Non-combat goals and items give you access to better gear and abilities. And so the third point.... THIRD: RPG elements. This is what helps make the game so addictive and ups its replay value. You can collect plant leaves (aka alchemy ingredients) in order to craft syringes (aka potions) that grant buffs, immunities, and restore health. You can hunt and collect animal hides in order to craft a larger inventory and ammo slots. You can complete mini-quests to earn and XP. You can unlock better and unique weapons and then customize them to your needs. Completing missions unlocks new skills, which can be learned by spending the Skill Points you earn when you level up. Another review described FC3 as the Skyrim of first-person shooters. This is a great description. NEGATIVES: The only negatives are quite minor. Basically they are: some vehicles can be difficult and frustrating to control. There is a sort of glitch where enemy laser sights create an annoying flickering effect when looking near you, even through solid objects. Enemy AI is about average they apparently don't think twice about running to a spot where the bodies of 5 of their comrades lie bleeding. Sometimes the melee attack seems to repeat way too long after I've input other commands. It took me about 40 hours to complete the single-player campaign on the hardest difficulty, which I used right from the start. It was usually sufficiently challenging but never way too easy and never frustrating or "cheap." When I died, it was my fault, but the gameplay is fun enough (and the autosave system smart enough) that dying isn't that big of a deal. Basically, any FPS fan should play it, especially those who are tired of the Call of Duty and Halo formulas. A lot of RPG fans will love the game too, especially if you like big, open-world adventures. Fantastic, fantastic game. Expand
  68. Mar 18, 2013
    ---------------------------------------------------------Simply amazing!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  69. Feb 11, 2013
    This is absolutely the best game I've ever played! The Island, the characters.. everything!!
    I started crying in the end, the way the creators of this outstanding game have made it really touched me and emotions flushed! I love this game, the feelings are very strong when playing.. I love you very much Liza Snow! Great work!
  70. Feb 14, 2013
    One of Best Games after long time. Best Far Cry Game. The Only one,where series 3 don'T suck. Best Open World Game Ever. For all who love Shooter,Action and more.
  71. May 20, 2013
    this is one of the greatest open world games!!! everything in the game is great exept the story and few glitches. the story just doesnt make sense. it isnt the worst i seen but its hard to believe it or get attached to the characters and your friends. the thing that saves the story is vaas. Vaas is one of the greatest villans of all time!!!!! vaas is insane and the voice acter is just amazing!!! the game has few glitches. for the size of the game they arent so bad but they still are present. now to the good things. the world is just huge. there is tones to do and a lot to explore. the game is full with gorgeous old temples and amazing cliffs and waterfalls. there are also a lot of underwater tunnels and wrecked ships to explore. there are a lot of collectibles. normally i dont like finding collectibles but here its really fun and cool. the game also has a lot of side missions which are really fun. the game has skill trees. they are overall pretty good and they give you useful and fun abilities. the game also has a lot of first person animations. from taking a bullet out of your hand, to climbing plants, the animations are great and really immerse you. the stealth in the game is great as well. you can play the missions how you want to, stealthily or guns blazing. the AI is good. the guns feel great and there are a lot of them.
    this is an awesome open world game!!!! BUY IT ITS AWESOME!!!!!
  72. Jul 15, 2013
    Constantly crashes, sends you back to "checkpoints"can't save while on a mission (which it automatically dumps you into every 2 mins).

**** this piece of
  73. Feb 28, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is an amazing game that proves consistently enjoyable despite its flaws. First off, the PC version is an incredibly well optimized game. I played through the entire campaign on a midrange laptop with most settings at High, three at medium in Directx 11. I had to disable Ambient Occlusion in the config file but god the game still looks gorgeous and runs butter smooth for me. There is also a TON of game here, probably 40 hours if you are into doing the side stuff which helps level up your character. Things lose steam a bit when you hit the second island, but nothing as severe as in Far Cry 2, which I loved at first and then got so bored I never finished.

The major issues as have been well discussed are with the narrative. You will hate your character at the start of the game, and there are lots of missed opportunities to get the player emotionally involved in the plot. It really sticks out because some of the voice acting is phenomenal, the main characters are motion captured and brilliantly animated. And some of them are really memorable even if they are underserved in the greater narrative.

BUT, the game mechanics themselves work beautifully. If you are a fan of shooters and/or open world games this is a must play. Come expecting some blemishes, but if you stick around you will see that they only stand out because so much of this game truly shines. I had a BLAST playing it and am sad that its over!
  74. Mar 6, 2013
    Great, engaging and beautiful. Characters are actually developing over time and, although the story is compelling, you'll spend a lot of time just cruising around in a speedboat or hunting dangerous wildlife.

Overall, a great sandbox.

The only derp is the necessity of Uplay even if the game is bought through Steam, which is absurd. But not even that can ruin an otherwise great game.
  75. Mar 8, 2013
    I've played a lot of games in the past year, but Far Cry 3 was so far the most fun I've had playing a video game in a long time. Metacritic user reviews are loaded with lots of 10's for games that I don't think deserve a 10, but I decided to give this game a review, because I truly think it deserves recognition. It combines my two favorite generes, FPS and RPG/adventure, perfectly, without going too far in either direction. A lot of the side quests are pretty boring, but I really enjoyed taking all of the outposts, coming up with new and interesting ways to do each one. Sure, I could just snipe everyone from afar, but what's the fun in that? Sometimes I'd try to do it with only knife kills, sometimes I'd go guns blazing, throwing C4 and grendades every which way. Now that I'm done with the game, I'm missing it, but I don't think this game has much replay value unless you wait a year or more between playthroughs. Nonetheless, it's been a LONG time since I've had that much fun playing a game for so long, so I think it deserves a 10. Expand
  76. Mar 8, 2013
    A long game, so u get much for ur cash. Its a tad to easy, so up the game mode to get more challenge out it it. Lots of weapons and upgrades, so ur able to play how u like.
  77. Mar 14, 2013
    First of all, this is NOT the Skyrim of shooters or action games. This is a dolled up FPS that masks itself as an open-world sandbox game, but the only thing you can play with in that sandbox is a toy truck and a cat turd. The PC version is sleek and pretty, as well as mechanically smooth and visually-rewarding, but ultimately fails to be a top game. The story is inspired, but the whiny of a protagonist can't stop "OMG"ing at every turn. Sometimes you wish he was the norm a silent puppet hero that so many games seem to be afraid to stray from. Quests seem bizarre and unnecessary. Am I seriously hunting sharks with a RPG right now? Yes...yes I am...so I can craft a RUCKSACK. The AI is relatively unintelligible. This game was meant for YouTubers to make "LOL moments" videos with, but not much more beyond that. Expand
  78. Mar 20, 2013
    It is like skyrim... the world is big, fun and engaging. I love the focus on takedowns and hunting of beasts to upgrade your equipment. But it was a bit too easy for my taste but the game is just too good in my opinion that I say, the heck it is easy but It is fun regardless.
  79. Mar 25, 2013
    "Far Cry 2" was a boring, dull game. Ubisoft realized it and made the work on bugs. As a result, the developers have created great and awesome the third part of Far Cry series. In this game almost everything is perfect: graphics, which is beautiful even on low settings, nice soundtrack, big, enthralling open world and, of course, exciting campaign with awesome plot and interesting characters. And speaking about characters, I want to highlight Vaas Montenegro. In my opinion, this crazy and charismatic man is one of the best antagonists gaming history. In general, "Far Cry 3" is one of the best games of 2012 and one of the best games that Ubisoft have ever made. Bravo. Expand
  80. Mar 25, 2013
    I don't even know where to start, good story, fast paced or slow depending on what you choose, very open, hands down the best game I think I have ever played!
  81. Apr 10, 2013
    I bought this game on a whim; it was on a Steam sale and I grabbed it based on the reviews I had read on Metacritic. It's a slow start, initially I just wanted to run and drive around exploring the vast first island. Very soon though I dived into the story. The main bad guy Vas is a brilliant digital villain! He really is a nasty piece of work. The actor delivers a believable performance. I dipped in and out of the story because the side missions are just incredibly entertaining. Capturing a base by using stealth is tense. It's rare that you can take a base by simply gunning it! Then there's the crafting, the very simple mechanism to craft bigger bags to carry more weapons and ammo is intuitive. Hunting with a bow is enormous fun!! The story has a few twists but nothing that original. But it's the digital performances that really stand out; Dennis is another believable character. Explore, hunt, capture, kill, skin and destroy! That's 35 hours that is well worth the £15 I paid. Expand
  82. May 14, 2013
    The best game of 2012, yeah just like that, the question is why the hell it wasn't even a contender ta VGA's, probably because vga is full of crap! PS Just what the did to Deus Ex Human Revolution
  83. May 6, 2013
    Loved the game shame about people who score it 0 and score bad games 10
    I've voted 10/10 just to help recover the scoring and help generate normality here.
  84. Apr 29, 2013
    You raise your glass in toast to your friend, it’s the beginning of a party! First you’re jet skiing on crystal blue waters, swimming next to beautiful turtles, having a jaunt around the island with your mates, taking a death defying leap off a waterfall, hand gliding overseas and diving in to swim with sharks and, to top it off, sky diving. Pretty awesome huh? Well no, not really, turns out this is all just a re-cap of how you got to where you are now, and where are you now? Unfortunately enough you’ve managed to be captured by Pirates, but these aren’t possibly the ones you might be thinking of, with peg legs, long black bushy beards still dripping from rum and mountains of gold, no no no. These are pirates who care a lot for “little white boys” only due to the fact you’re being held at ransom providing your parents love you enough. However you are just a rich kid, partying with your mates, there is no Liam Neeson with a particular set of skills coming to save you. No, no one is coming to save you from your captor who, I nearly forgot to add, is a 100% psycho path who enjoys toying with his hostages imagine if the joker got a tan but held onto the same sense of humour, then you’re getting close to the mind set of Vaas, the Mohicaned maniac who you are now under the possession of.
    Fast forward past your daring escape (no need to spoil the opening), you wake up confused, clearly in some sort of hut with someone beside you. In the time that you’ve spent unconscious the has decided to tattoo you or rather tatau you as it is called, this my friend is your admittedly somewhat cool way to show how much you’ve levelled up in the game, each new skill you unlock in one of your 3 skill trees adds a new part of the tatau to your arm, the 3 trees are the Heron (long range attacks and mobility) the Spider (stealth and survival) and the shark (first aid and killing), for completionists and those with the want to kill in stunning and sometimes spectacular ways will be able to get a good grasp on most of these, however if you’re just going to run and gun your way through then its best if you just focus on the shark. Anyway this man is called Dennis and appears to be your guide through these new lands, he offers you a machete and essentially pushes you on your now task of finding your friends and possibly killing Vaas if fortune holds.

read the rest of my review at http://willza99.wordpress.com thanks for reading
  85. May 6, 2013
    Awesome game. I just created an Metacritic account just to leave this game a 10/10 review. Best game I've played in a long while. On par with Skyrim. Amazing story. And one of the best endings, ever.
  86. May 8, 2013
    This game has always dissapointed me from the second edition Here to make it simple :

Firstly When i first played far cry2 all i can get is a boring experience Driving car like hell so weird looking at the super-boring environment I am not really into FPS games but at least i like to play call of duty why because i can get as many environment details so the game wont feel
    flat and also there is many conversations along the game that i wont bored .

note to game developer players love freedom and soul in their game and this game is totally soul-less .

secondly the graphic was badly optimized for PC i have lowered my pc graphics system but still it lags Even if i maximized the resolutions all i can get is so damn cartoonish grass and bushes

thirdly why i still want to give 3 for the score because the game Borneo or somewhere near there takes place near my home indonesia
  87. May 10, 2013
    This game, in one word; amazing. I'm a huge fan of Cry-tek and Far Cry 3 is the best Far Cry yet. Absolutely gorgeous and well worth more than one play-through. Tis an improvement from Far Cry 2 (which i must admit was disappointing) due to improved shooter mechanics, a better story, and the crafting is the icing on the cake, but 1 complaint; the online multiplayer did not live up to expectations. Still worth a 10 out of 10 in my book. (sry bout the bad english o.o) Expand
  88. SFJ
    May 9, 2013
    As a huge fan of FPS and RPG,'s Far Cry 3 was my personal favorite games in 2013 and is my favorite game so far! This game has everything u want in an open world game plenty of side activities, great graphics. cool awesome and epic story the list goes on! Far Cry 3 has a large stelth system. With this little meter that shows how close you are to be detected and your machete along with some cool assassination tricks u can go realy stelthy and of corse if you wanna kick ass with your rifel or your pistol you can do that too. Far Cry 3 has also a deep hunting system and with that a great crafting system. You see you can kill two bears skin them for all there skins and fur open the crafting menu and use the bear parts to make a bigger backpack so you can keep more loot or maby a bigger gun holster so u can cary more weapons (max 4 To go further, Far Cry 3 adds awesome multiplayer that you can dump a bunch of houers in if u like FPS games. With an exelent leveling system unlocks and more plus a co-op campaign that u can play with up to three friends and it is realy realy realy funny! My advice to you is to get off your computer chair and buy Far Cry 3! if ur into fps games or rpg.s you will love this game! My final verdict for Far Cry 3 is FULL!!! as high as i can give 10/10 buy this NOW! Expand
  89. May 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Far cry 3 is a great and dramatic first person open world game. There are level system, buy your own wepons and upgrade them. A lot of fun sidemissions and good graphics. Far Cry 3's story is probably the best story I've ever heard. It is exciting and you get a feeling that you just have to play on and find out what happens next. you have not played this game yet, you just buy it! It is worth every penny!
    Thanks for this game Ubisoft.
    I look forward if Far Cry 4 comes.
  90. May 13, 2013
    This is a awesome game, with a very long and deep history, marvelous graphics and a magnific open world. In game you have a some choices to make, but nothing that changes the final, after all, even with all the fun you got, still there's something missing, that could be more, with all the marvelous open world, perhaps even been a great game, could be greater.
  91. May 19, 2013
    Wow, I never played a game like this before. It is a very great game, and weapons are nice.
    The story was interesting, and the crafting system is cool! Graphics is decent, and it is fun to takedown and use various guns.
    The only problem I had was with the saving system, but except that, great game!
  92. Jun 3, 2013
    My game of 2012, graphically it is excellent and performs well on most modern PC builds, it is an open world game which made me cautious after Far Cry 2, however they managed to strike an amazing balance of Story, Gameplay, Exploration and Action, with enough of its own ideas injected to make it really stand out.

The character development is very cool, true the "friends" are pretty
    generic but some of the antagonists are incredibly entertaining in a dark and twisted way, and Far Cry 3 really is the best example I can think of where your actions throughout the story truly change the character and judgement of the character you play.

My only criticisms would be that there is perhaps to much to explore and find, which for the completionist or OCD inflicted can really drag out the hours, however, if you focus on the core elements such as, Towers Bases, Hunting and Missions you should find nothing but entertainment from this great game.
  93. Jun 27, 2013
    The game is amazing! Since the characters, the graphics (very beauty), the sound of guns, gameplay And the story of the game then? One of, if not the best story of action games!
  94. Sep 20, 2013
    I felt like opening a Pandora's box when trying to determine the score for this game. If you compare it to games of the modern era only, it's hard to not give it a 10. If you look at it more broadly though, the score drops.

Far Cry 3 is a Ubisoft game through and through. Their niche seems to be GTA-inspired sandbox games (AC, FC, SR). FC3 is exactly that. I was going to call it "GTA on
    an island" first, but that's not really fair. Then again, it's not completely wrong either. The game also seems to borrow small elements from AC series, which depending on your point of view can either be a good or a bad thing.

As for my opinion, the story and setting were really solid, even if a bit schizophrenic. The main character is more or less an ordinary guy with no goals in life, but then he finds some and becomes an elite commando army of one. There's some voodoo and stuff like that involved though. And that really sets the tone of the game. It's not really meant to be a realistic simulator, although it may look to do that on the outside. When you get deeper into it, you'll see that the game is full of supernatural elements as well and as such, the fact that you can see all the points of interest on the minimap automatically didn't really bother me. I especially liked how the game handled some bossfights. Not necessarily because they were QTEish, but because if they were normal shooting gallery sequences, that would've just sucked.

Other strong points were equipment customizability, animations, level of detail, voice acting, some of the dialogue, sidemissions that were actually fun and last but not least, the fact that you can just roam around the map doing whatever you want. The game also looks damn gorgeous with all the graphics turned high.

As for the bad side of things, well, the combat isn't really made to be challenging or balanced. As such, the ugly side of modern gaming raises up it's head once more. This game isn't hard. It's easy, even. And once again, it's a bit spoonfeedy. Despite that, I think it keeps itself together really nice.
    I didn't try multiplayer, but co-op was a useless tack-in to boost sales. There's also level-grinding and stuff like that involved in the multiplayer/co-op, which I don't approve of.

To explain what I said earlier about the score of the game dropping if you rate it taking into account more than just the modern era, I mean that this game doesn't necessarily offer a whole lot of new things, and I think it does things a bit tongue-in-cheek to compensate for that. But then, it's such a well-executed, fun and high production value package that I can't just go full cynic on it.

Don't take this game too seriously and you'll have a fun ride that can last up to 30 hours.
  95. Jul 16, 2013
    An unbelievable graphic, the best I ever seen in a Video game with a beautiful game experience. It's story is really really long, to finish the campaign you have to spend a very long time
  96. Sep 23, 2013
    If you're a fan of beautiful landscapes and amazing story, than Far Cry 3 is for you. This game had some of the best graphics and textures in a video game, and if you think you have seen the best looking water in a game, think again, because Far Cry 3 has the best looking oceans and rivers I have ever seen. The story is one of the best I have ever experienced. One of the best endings in a video game. Fantastic writing. Only problem I had were occasional graphical pop-ins, but nothing severe. Expand
  97. Sep 21, 2013
    Thank you Ubisoft for more than 30 hours of pure fun!
    The game is really great, and there is so many opportunities. I'm so close to give this game 10 straight, but there are a few things i feel like there's missing. A thing i would really have loved would be if you could play through the whole game in CO-OP, and not just play some special missions.
    Also i wouldn't recommend just trying
    to finish the missions/extra missions, spend some time looking around the Island, and discover some of the secret places. If you're just trying to finish the objectives you pretty much repeat the same route over and over again, which is not funny:
    You clear a mission You activate the nearby radiotower You clear the outposts in the new area ->You clear the missions that you unlock when you get a new outpost.
    I haven't had any problems with this, since im spending alot time exploring the island, killing animals to upgrade my capacity, and finding plants to get the best possible medicin. I also love to try new tactics at every outpost and see what works out best.
    IMPORTANT: I'm not trying to decide how you wanna play the game, it's just a heads up since it's something i've been thinking about when i unlock new radio towers.
    There are just so many cool features in this game, that i decided to look at some of the less fascinating things about this game.
    What i thought after a while in Far Cry 3:I bought this game on Steam when it was 50% off (Price was 15 Euro) and now i allmost feel bad i didn't pay full price for this awesome game!
    Im waiting for ya, Far Cry 4!
  98. Sep 24, 2013
    Such a complete game. It mixes quite well adventure and action. Just focusing on the story it would have been a regular game, but the details really max out the entire game. I really had fun playing it.
  99. Oct 16, 2013
    I feel the game was overall enjoyable, I like the range of weapons and customisations to choose from and the stealth aspect was quite enjoyable and often a good option as on harder difficulties trying to fight multiple enemies became a challenge. However the story, which was promising, became very anti-climatic and lack lustre. I also feel the combat became far too easy when you could simply inject yourself with a syringe to instantly heal or even become invincible (no really) for about 30 seconds, and then pump another when that ran out. The quick heal option and the enemy tagging (which allows you to easily keep track of where enemies are as you can see them through walls) made stealth relatively easy. I found the hunting better than most games but it soon lost meaning as I crafted all the items that needed to be crafted there was no reason to return. Side missions were truly poor and the voice acting terrible for the minor characters. The main and supporting characters (like Vaas, Hoyt, Buck and Sam) are surprisingly well acted with real emotion in their voices and genuinely interesting characters. Overall the gameplay makes it quite enjoyable but the story and side quests let it down, and if your wondering how long it would take to complete my total gameplay hours were about 9 hours (and that was doing everything in game accept from collecting all loot chests/letters and relics). Expand
  100. Jan 25, 2014
    (Note: If you don't have a good computer, it will not run, and even if it does, it'll be extremely laggy.) This game is purely amazing. I'm a huge fan of open world games (Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, etc.) so when I saw this, I had to get it. It has some of the best graphics I've ever seen, and a open world as big as Morrowind. The RPG mechanics are pretty good too. If you are a fan of FPS, RPG, or Adventure games, this game is a must have. Expand

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013