8.2

1. Feb 1, 2013
    I'd heard lots of good things about this game, and I've been a fan of the previous games (the original more than it's sequel). I'd heard that it didn't continue the plot or characters from either of the two previous games, which was a shame, but if the ongoing theme of the FarCry series was to have a standalone story with each episode, then I figured, why not? I'd read that the HUD was a bit too cluttered, but that there were various mods to minimise or even remove it, so I was encouraged by the fact that I would be able to customise certain aspects if I felt it was required. I'd also heard that the plot was weak, but that the game-play more than made up for it. So I was prepared for that too.

What I wasn't prepared for was how much of an utter disappoint the game really was. In my opinion the HUD and terrible plot are MORE than enough to ruin the game, and it baffles me that anyone could even get past these two obstacles to even enjoy the game-play. Thankfully, I had installed a couple of mods to improve game-play (more accurate weapons and improved selection) and remove the HUD completely (the official patch didn't go anywhere near far enough in this regard), so the game I am scoring here is not the game I've been playing for the last three weeks, it's the game I would have been forced to play without the mods.

Seriously, who needs that amount of information flashing and bobbing around on their screen to tell them the SAME thing at least three times? The HUD elements, even with all the customisable ones turned off, turn a potentially enjoyable challenge into a ridiculously easy arcade game, where neither thought, exploration or initiative are required. Objectives tell you to 'find' this or 'locate' that, and yet the whereabouts of every objective, no, every STAGE of every objective, is indicated in three different places, two of which are on your HUD (not including what you can actually see with your eyes!). The AI of the enemies is fantastic, amongst the best I've encountered, but the poor sods don't stand a chance because they're splashed all over your mini-map and appear clearly, even behind objects, with big red icons over their heads.

And then there's the plot and characters. Unfortunately, no one's come up with a mod to make the plot or characters any more interesting, and no amount of HUD removal or weapon modding is going to help me give a damn about any of the characters and what's happening to them. Even your own, annoyingly vocal, character, Jason, is a hateful adolescent (not in years, but in behaviour), and his friends are all stereotyped air-heads with no substance.

I get the feeling there is more to the story than it first appears, and there's some kind of 'Alice in Wonderland' sub-plot going on (I've avoided plot spoilers), and that maybe there will be some kind of Fight Club-style reveal where it turns out Jason is actually Vaas, and vice-versa. But you know what? I just don't care any more. I'm about 8 hours into the game and have deliberately avoided following the story, not only because it's weak and the characters are hateful, but also because it means I'm likely to have to sit through endless boring cut-scenes, or stupid, arcade-style mini-games, or encounter the nemesis of any immersion junkie like myself, the dreaded quick-time event (seriously who actually LIKES quick-time events? Who buys a game and says to themselves, 'oh wow, I hope this game has LOTS of quick-time events). Why can't developers just let us PLAY the game, instead of constantly forcing our actions, or taking away our control all together. Valve and other progressive developers have proved time and again that you can have both a great game and a great immersive experience without compromising your in-game freedom, so why is there still this obsession with trying to turn games into movies?

I probably shouldn't review the game before I've finished it, but I've just started re-playing BioShock to remind myself what a good, immersive first-person experience feels like (HUD elements and all!), and to prepare myself for the release of the next BioShock game, so the chances of me going back to FarCry 3 before BioShock Infinite comes out are slim.

It's a damn shame, because there are loads of things to love about FarCry 3; the hunting, the expanse of the island, the superb AI, the weapons, the beautiful graphics, the best motion-capture acting in a game (Vaas), but all of that can only last me so long, and I just don't want to be in the shoes of this character any more. I'd rather put Jason's friends out of their misery and explore the island.

With mods, such as the removal of the HUD and the improved weapon selection, I'd give the game a 6 out of 10. A better story would have probably meant an 8 or 9. But the vanilla game deserves nothing more than a 1, because developers need to realise that you just can't treat your audience like imbeciles.
  2. Nov 20, 2013
    Amazing game, has everything going for, great gameplay, great story, great graphics, you can't go wrong here. AI may not be the best but is not bad either. Overall this was a great experience that every real gamer should play.
  3. May 18, 2013
    Wonderful graphics. Interesting story with really well done voice acting. The collection quests are crap though and a lot of the side quests feel like filler. Only reason to do them is to unlock signature weapons. Everything is marked on the map so there is no real exploration which really kills the point of open world. But it seems every open world game does this now. The world is really well done though, the combat is fun and entertaining, and if you spend time collecting relics etc, you get a lot of life from the game. Expand
  4. Dec 14, 2012
    Its a great game, i feel they really made the new far cry quite well, introducing a lot of realistic animations depending on what happens really makes the game seam smooth and an interesting realistic experience. like if you crash your car, you will hit your head on dash and have blury vision or if you jump from to high you will stumble when you hit the ground. i think that far cry servers as a benchmark which new and old games should learn from.... AKA Call of duty.... there are a few bugs i encountered here and there, but show me a game that has none....good game, love the experience, worth the "buy" ;D Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Tons of things to do, amazing graphics and the bad guy is super nuts. Driving, some crafting (nothing too crazy) and lots of cool weapons.
  6. Jan 25, 2013
    1st part of the game was incredible. But after moving to 2nd island the game experience dropped increasingly. Looks like developers was exhausted all ideas they introduced in first part of the game. The difficulty level increases too much for me, its became irritating - despite I was playing on hard on 1st island I cannot handle easy mode on 2nd (maybe I was tired of the game). It seems it is the way to make game longer. 2nd part focuses only of shooting - nothing more. The idea of exploration on the 2nd island was dig.
    So the first island I judge for 9, but the 2nd island for 5 only.
  7. Jan 6, 2013
    If you have to view Far Cry 3 critically, it's biggest fault is the main character and the fact that the story just isn't very good. It's a decent game though, but things never seem to come together. Not to mention, FC3 has some of the worst boss battles in games to date.

My verdict: A flawed and highly overrated shooter, with moments of sheer brilliance. This is the pinnacle of average gaming
  8. Mar 24, 2013
    Highly overrated game. Major parts can only be called shallow, extremely repetive, boring and unchallenging. Gameplay is mostly following the same pattern all over again. Quest sends you to new region. You mark a radio tower on your map as target and simply go there to reveal the map of that surrounding region in detail. Those towers use to be unprotected so its really boring stuff to do. After that is done you usually mark a position of enemy camp as target, go there, few shots with your rifle to take out some pirates. Done. Also thanks to the incedibly broken ai again no challenge even on highest difficulty. What you are left with is a fully revealed, boring region with no enemies left, nothin much to do and like 100 crates scattered around the region waiting for you to get picked up to fill your pockets. Yes and that it is pretty much it. Graphics are decent, game is pretty much free of bugs and working fine, Vaas is fun. So i can not really call it horrible. Got it for 30 Euro in Steam sale, thats O.K.. Expected it to be overated and not worth a 87% metascore before buying it, so i did not get too disappointed. Expand
  9. Dec 14, 2012
    From Far Cry 3 i was expecting more. I knew this would be just console port, but it's good port. But it's port, and this mean that we need powerfull hardware for high resolution and details. More powerfull even not so good graphics. Pop up is appearing, stretch the edges of the screen and FPS dropping on my Phenom 955 and Radeon 7950... this is too much. But the game offers a lot of freedom. There are two island, and a lot of enemy outposts, and you chose way to capture it. There is a lot of side missions, some of it is very useable but some of it bring just money. However, gameplay is much improved over it's predecessor, eliminating most frequent enemis respawning in the recently captured enemy bases, Storyline is sometimes good, and sometimes is inspired by the Spanish serial movies. Despite all this, far cry 3 offers a lot of freedom in determining the missions to play and how to play them, a rich and varied gameplay, and decent graphics, and occasionally a good story. With all this game will provide plenty of fun for everyone. Expand
  10. Mar 19, 2013
    Excellent, atmospheric and unique take on the FPS Sandbox GTA hybrid. Loved the attention to detail, roaming the jungle and exploring the islands. A well done, immersive game that is just gorgeous and great fun to play!
  11. Jul 17, 2014
    Great environment, reasonable combat. Crashes during save a lot. Strives for immersion but then proceeds to force QTEs down your throat such that you lose that immersion. On several occasions (not just once) you mow down an army of people and then a cutscene has you KOed by a simple hit and then you have to escape (again and again). Final mission is one big QTE that doesn't require any skill that you've been honing the entire game. The story is good until the middle when supernatural stuff (which breaks immersion again) gets stupid. Ultimately a good game if you ignore the story and the numerous immersion destroying moments. Expand
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    This game has so much potential... but its dragged down by so much unecessary crap. Gather quests? Really? Am I playing Farcry, or WoW? Climb these radio towers to open your map... Guess someone was playing Assassin's Creed at the time they came up with that idea? In trying to fix the broken stealth from FC2, they made it so easy there is no challenge. Enemy's are incredibly stupid. The body drag mechanic could use some work, really, I can't pick up and drag a body from the ground, only after I kill them with a take down? Weapons... 1 attachment... wonder what kind of red dot they are using that blocks out extended mags. It could have been such a good game... but it turned out just to be mediocre. It just feels like there's something missing.... it's a hollow and shallow experience. That being said, it's not the worst game ever either. Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2013
    What happens when you combine the games Uncharted, Call of Duty and Fallout? You get Far Cry III. This game is loads of fun. Good shooter mechanics in an open world game with platforming dungeons and puzzles.
  14. Jan 7, 2013
    For me, this is the GOTY. I have played Far Cry 1 and 2, and i'm really glad to see they combined the best out of those 2, and put it together.
    First of all, the world is amazing! it really gives you this skyrim feeling. i'm not saying it's better than skyrim of course ;)
    you get alot of weapens, bow, rocket launcher, assault rifles, flame thrower etc.
    you can swim, drive, fly. it's
    amazing :)
    really love it, you will nog regret it!
  15. Dec 8, 2012
    What a game really, The graph in this game is very impressive, ppl sayin otherwise are ppl whom do not understand what graph means! The Gameplay lets you reach the goal YOUR way!! yes its a very straight forward game, there is a thick red line guiding you. but the means in how you reach the ending, is totally up to you, wanna stealth? okay, wanna blow it all up? ok aswell! and the Scripting in the films/sequences are AMAZING!! wow, the sound, the acting, everything you makes perfect sence when you play it. and the Chararacters in the game are fantastisc, Vass, imean, have you ever met a more nasty villain ever?! THIS is surely a Game Of The Year contender, a fantastisc game no less! all the trollers givin it 0 and 2.. go play pixie games cus thats your level of intelect acording to games! Expand
  16. Feb 13, 2013
    The AI is seriously dumb man. I mean, leaving a tiger in their camp, surrounded by the flimsiest of cages, all pointing more-or-less in one direction and blindly chasing after the sound of a pebble hitting the floor. What chance do they have against Jason Brody, an unstoppable geezer with a tatoo and a flamethrower! It's an open-world game, with a linear plot that doesn't take itself too seriously with realism. Not quite as addictive as Borderlands2, for pure gunfight carnage, but where else can you wrestle with sharks, go hang-gliding over a beautiful tropical island and take hallucinogenic plants? Oh yeah your dreams of course! Expand
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is awesome. It really sucks you in. The outposts, the hunt challenges, missions,... plenty to do. Many people complain about the poor story but I liked it.
    So why only 7? Well, because the game had a lot of technical issues on my pc. I'm not going to post all my specs, but let me say I run Battlefield 3 with all the bells and whistles on an average fps of 80. In far cry I had to
    turn of all the options (like anti aliasing,...) Still got fps drops, graphical glitches and so one. From time to time it was really game braking. The game feels like a sloppy console port. No support from Ubisoft nor Nvidia. To bad, this game could have been perfect. Expand
  18. Dec 5, 2012
    Im having a hard time reading all the zeros and two's. Really? How can you dislike the game so bad? Some people say that the graphics are bad, i say **** you cause if you are running a 8800GT with an old ass Celeron no wonder (to you Ochetazinco). You say enemy AI sucks? Explain us exactly WHY. Did you hate the other Far Cry games? Why did you get this one? People should stop playing a game for 2 hours and then hating it, give it more time. Also, my guess is people down right hate Ubisoft, and therefor have to give this game a 0.

Now, i love this game and think its probably one of the best games this year. Sure, multiplayer is not very good but its here right? What can we do about it. The campaign is more than enough in my opinion.
  19. Sep 21, 2013
    I've only played the campaign, which took about 20 hours, and there is still a ton for me to do on the map... so this review is primarily based on the campaign. If you can judge the quality of a game by the lack of work and sleep one achieves while playing it, than this is great, possibly a 10, but I don't hand out 10's easily. I often found myself in 3hour gaming sessions (not normal for me) and up at 3am. It's quite the ride. Some say it's dark, but I found it flat-out hilarious. Whatever that says about me. Highly recommended; while I waited for this to come on sale before purchasing (wasn't sure if I'd like it), I will certainly purchase FC4 immediately when it comes out, it's worth the full price.
    My only con for not being a 10 is some of the gameplay buttons are a little unresponsive, ie. "Hold Q to heal" sometimes I'm holding Q while this is up and nothing happens, sometimes I tap Q and it heals, sometimes it's a bandage, sometimes it's a syringe, sometimes it does nothing still (yes, my keyboard works fine); can't figure it out and I usually NEED it then, it's more like MASH Q TO HEAL AND HOPE at that point.
  20. Feb 21, 2013
    This is so much better than the last game. Beautiful world, nice combat mechanics, fine story. Definitely the best game of 2012. Thanks Ubisoft, Thanks!
  21. Jan 27, 2013
    I only got this game recently not knowing what to expect ,but how I'm completely addicted to it, the graphics are amazing and it runs incredibly smoothly. The game play is very fun and there are lots to do in the huge world that is one big playground. The story is good and the characters are very likable including the main antagonist Vass. Overall a great game and worth 9/10
  22. Dec 11, 2012
    As the top poster says, this is one of the few games in a long time that dosent disapoint. The develepors have learned from the mistakes of far cry 2 and improved alot. And i actually got quite drawn in to the story. Very good game
  23. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is definitely one of the best games of 2012, there are almost too many positives to list. It looks great, it has smooth controls, the story is awesome, and the gameplay is very fun. Really the only thing I can think of that isn't absolutely great about this game is the main character. This may not really bother some people, but it feels like, which I guess it what they were going got, your playing as a snobby, attention craving, overly-dramatic and spoiled rich kid. Still, the rest of the game makes that very easy to overlook. Expand
  24. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is amazing. In short, if you want to play a story driven FPS with an open world any time soon, play Far Cry 3. In this review, despite the high score I have given it, I will primarily point out flaws rather than praising it.On the technical side FC3 has brilliant visuals. The jungle environment is fitting for open world stealth and the large amounts of foliage both look fantastic and make for almost believable cover. The sounds in FC3 really excel. The music always adds to the experience and the voice acting is some of the best I've experienced in a video game for a long time. The mechanics are not always intuitive, the takedown feature, after a number of upgrades, can rely on too many unintuitive key combinations at the same time. Besides this, the actual gunplay, stealth, driving and other upgrades are excellent examples of what modern shooters should aim for. An area that is very poor is the AI. It appears that to avoid the common stealth problem of having AI that automatically know where you are, the AI are completely dumbed down. They can track your last location correctly, but you will often see a guard walk straight past you when you are in plain sight. It must also be pointed out that story quests make heavy use of quick time events, these are a blight on games right now and they occasionally severely interrupt a cutscene. On the non-technical side, the story has some flaws. I went into this game expecting a fairly realistic game oriented around surviving being kidnapped and not being killed by the opposing faction, instead (spoilers) I found a game that behaves like a serious experience that I described, littered with some strange "magic" type story about tattoos and natives to the island. It should not have been in the game at all. The delusion and drug sequences were great, but they should have been oriented around drug usage or illness, not magic potions. The multiple choice ending was just utterly ridiculous. Why give us two choices that only affect the last 5 minutes of the cutscene at the end of the game? And why is one of them so utterly disappointing. The experience also drags on due to a lack of variation nearer the end of the game. You'll probably play around 30 to 40 hours of the game before this happens, so it's still absolutely worth the purchase. I recommend Far Cry 3. Despite all of it's flaws it has great gameplay, it is a fun and engaging experience, and it starts off brilliantly even if it doesn't last the full length of the game. Expand
  25. May 31, 2014
    Best open-world shooter on the market. Detailed and beautiful jungle enviroment. One of the best looking games made. Great gunplay and many tools to play with pirates. A little naive yet very engaging story that surprisingly has a good ending. You feel like an ultimate jungle badass No crappy DLCs is a welcome change on the market Good and fun progression with animal hunting Good gunplay
    Very immersive
    Much wow, so shooter, very must buy. One of the best games of recent years for me.
  26. Dec 12, 2012
    10 out of 10? I don't think so. Although, I admit I'm not mad either. Think of it as Far Cry 2 with a face lift. If you've played that, then you'll get the feeling of doing pretty much the same thing as before. As a matter of fact, it feels so much the same, you may want to ask yourself if you're in the mood to play Far Cry 2 again. They added a few things. If you want to carry more... bigger wallet, bigger rucksack for items, bigger ammo case etc., you hunt animals and skin them. That was fun, but It took about an hour and I had pretty much upgraded everything. I started gathering items and cash, but here's something I found odd. As in Far Cry 2, you had to quest to make more items available. No problem. In Far Cry 3, you unlock radio towers. But here's the catch, the items aren't only unlocked, they become free. So I'm walking around with a stuffed $6,000 wallet and I've already got everything and not a single reason to loot dead bodies or pick up cash. Modifying weapons cost a little, yeah, but upgrading your favorites only takes a second and your done. Now I'm thinking, what do I do now? In other words, in two hours, there may be plenty to explore, but no reason to do it!

Skills are boring too. The standard ones that increase health are obviously important but the rest are more like "skills of convenience" if you know what I mean. There aren't any you feel like you really want. I've got fifteen skill points and I don't even care. There's nothing there beyond increasing health and a couple of other ones that make a difference. The rest? zzz zzz.

So what's the verdict? Is it worth playing? I'm not finished with it and I will finish it... eventually. Games that get the ratings this one got are supposed to lock you in front of your computer and not set you free until you've savored every morsel. This one? It's like going to a buffet where all the items taste pretty much the same. You'll play it maybe because your hungry but you won't really care what you want next.

As a side note, it may be worth waiting for because there are a few bugs on the pc version. It stutters like a dog unless you can get fps over 60 on the low end. I've got an Intel 3820 oc'd to 4.2 ghz and an Nvidia gtx 680 and need to run on medium settings. I had to get the top fps to about 115 for the normal buttery smoothness I'm accustomed to. And that's borderline. If I even turn on anti-aliasing to any degree, I have to reduce the graphics to low, so I settled for medium and no AA. You can google "Far Cry 3 stuttering" for more info.

The game has value. Think of it like Santa putting a Bugatti Veyron in your drive way but then discover the only place you can drive it... is around the block. It's fancy, but the track is the same.
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    I loved the sense of weight and inertia that is conveyed in first person in Far Cry 3. It feels very similar to battlefield 3 in the physicality of your character. And so I had a great impression of this game in the first 5 hours, and might have given it a 10. Unfortunately, the missions that follow the main plot line fall into a rote, scripted manner, and most of the time put a blaring timer on top of the screen, breaking all the amazing illusions created by the game world. One thing people may gloss over - the writing and characters are, at times, offensively bad. I think I speak for many when I say that overused stereotypes of the "white man saving the indigenous people" trope is obvious and tired. And seriously, **** Vaas. Try harder Ubisoft, seriously. (Quoting Alice in Wonderland throughout was another misguided creative attempt, I felt.) There is a lack of creativity with the entire setting and modern day milieu, and it doesn't interfere entirely with main feel of the game, but it does stifle what could have been. Still definitely worth playing. Expand
  28. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For some reason, this has really drawn a lot of ire. The experience isn't perfect, but it's pretty damned good. People are saying the characters have no depth? Did people completely miss the intro to the game? Did people miss that Vaas was in the game? I haven't seen a performance in a game like that in a long time. Vaas' entire performance right down to the little psychotic manerisms is downright terrifying. My biggest gripe about the story is that he's not around for the whole thing. The other characters are well done, but Vaas steals the show. To think that Michael Mando almost didn't get the part...

I have not tried the multiplayer and have completed about 75% of the single player content. Overall it's a solid experience. The development of Jason's character from a California boy, whimpering and trembling when he sees his brother take a life, then turned to a hardened jungle warrior is really good. Rather than being thrown into hostile territory and becoming a badass merc instantly, you transform into it. The graphics, guns, shooting, driving, sounds are all top notch.

No, it's not perfect. The pretty graphics will take a beast of a machine to maintain playable FPS. I run a 2500k @ 4.5ghz with Crossfire 6950 GPUs. It runs well for me, but there are glitches and hiccups. Sometimes the enemy AI will pull stupid moves, like tossing a molotov at a tiger that's in melee range and burning themselves to death (those guys ARE tanked though, so maybe it makes sense...). Before you get the reduced fall damage perk, trips down steep slopes will hurt you more than they probably should. Getting swarmed by a bunch of guys in melee range usually results in inescapable death. That's frustrating, but at least it's realistic. IRL if you're surrounded 4:1 and get knocked to the ground, you probably aren't walking away. The enemy is suspiciously accurate with their grenade tosses. Some of the side activities are hammy. Some of Jason's dialog is way overdone.

Ultimately those are minor complaints. Overall, the experience is much improved from Far Cry 2. No more endless, unavoidable patrols on the roads. Or checkpoints that seem to respawn within seconds. Again, things aren't perfect. The first aid animations are well done but greatly reduced in variety from Far Cry 2. I almost wish they had kept the same number of animations and possibly added the new ones instead of using the syringe healing again. You can't sleep. This was good in Far Cry 2 so you could approach objectives under cover of night. Not so here.

The unlocks, side missions, and treasure items offer plenty for completionist players, while also showing you some cool out-of-the-way areas on the island that you might otherwise miss. The Trials of the Rakyat have some decent variety of scenarios and you can compete for the high score against other players. The little bits of humor are great. There's nothing like sneaking up on a pirate who says to himself "Oh this **** heat...someone just shoot me!" and taking his wig off with a silenced pistol.

From what I've seen of the multiplayer, it's good, not great. It basically looks like any other multiplayer FPS out there.

Overall, this is a great game with a lot to offer. A single playthrough was worth the price, and it will definitely get played again. I hope if another Far Cry is made, it meets and exceeds the bar set here.
  29. Jan 18, 2013
    Far from perfect, but a decent game nonetheless. Shooting mechanics and stealth is implemented well and allows for two different approaches, whereas Far Cry 2 was more limited. Also I'm very glad Ubisoft removed repopulating outposts; those annoyed the heck out of me in Far Cry 2. Ubisoft have made a number of good design choices that have enhanced the game, though some of the problems In Far Cry 2 are still prevalent in this game. The only missions/quests that seemed to have any depth were the story missions and as you progress, other side quests start to lose their touch and you'll find the jungle environment and the contents it holds wearily repetitive. In the end, even the weapons and recipes you unlock through collectibles isn't enough to hold your attention. Additionally, the SSAO in this game is atrocious and so are some of the textures. The menus could be better as well. Expand
  30. Dec 29, 2012
    Very bland but fun for a while... Cons...
    While the game is fun it adds nothing new. It looks 3/4 years old and just shows how the current gen of consoles are holding back gaming. The voice acting is total ass, you're on an island near China but the locals have South African accents while the bad guys have mid Africans accents. You play as an American teen/20s showing the island how
    badass you are.
    The crafting is dull in that you just need easy to gain animal skins or plants, half the **** you can craft you don't actually need, for example, health stims... You can heal for free by pulling out bullets in your arm or wraping a bandage. Stims?... The game is easy enough that you don't even need them.
    Hunting is boring... The only animals that hold any sort of challange are bears and tigers and that is because head shots don't instant kill so you can just lob a grenade at them, failing that just run at them with a shotgun.
    The story is rather meh. As I said, you play a badass American kid trying to save his buddies. Yawn.

Pros...
    It's open world.
  31. Dec 23, 2012
    Another prime example of mass produced casual garbage. That's what happens when you start producing games assembly line style. Games aren't shoes or tv's, a good game requires more than just putting pieces together in the same way that good music is made up of more than just sounds. Yes, technically music is just sounds, yet without vision and creativity that's also all it will ever be. Far Cry 3 is just a compilation of things and ideas that were copied and stolen from elsewhere thrown together, it lack's both creativity and vision and it shows at every corner. Far Cry 3 isn't an immersive masterpiece full of wonder, it's a compilation of mini games placed on the least immersive island ever conceived in video game history. It offers not even the slightest illusion of being a real place with real people. Everywhere is blinking crap and money lying around. Each 20 people village got a weapon dealer, and cars are waiting at every corner for a new owner. And the least immersive thing of them all, the blinking weapons and ammunition vendor machine! Yes, you heard me right, a weapons and ammunition vendor machine that even blinks! Holy crap! That thing beats it all, I don't believe I ever saw something more immersion breaking in a video game than this blinking vendor machine! So there we are, the least immsive island in video history and a complete lack of creativity and vision. And it gets even worse. Yes, surprisingly, it's still possible to get worse! I'm talking about Ubi and their desire to make games more accessible. For those who don't know already, accessible when it comes to game design usually means that anyone without any skill or even a working brain should be able to play it without difficulty. And that at least they managed, it's so easy and simplified that anyone not fully brain dead yet should take care not to play for prolonged periods of time or their brains might really die out of boredom. All in all, it's a prime example of mass produced casual garbage. Just what I expected from Ubi. Expand
  32. Dec 5, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is a very good game with very annoying flaws. It's a great experience, but unfortunately you get kicked in the nuts here and there to remind you this game isn't perfect. First of all, this is a medicore console port. Menu is a PITA to navigate with mouse because it wont always register "mouse hover" event. Several lists do not get scrolled with mousewheel. Several times you cannot use enter to activate the "Use" or "Ok" or "Next" option. Several functions are inconsistent - in one interface, you click a button to scroll through inventory sort modes in the bottom of the screen, in other, you click left-right arrows near the top of the screen where current sort option is displayed. Overall, interface is just clunky and not optimised for PC. Controls are awful. You cannot have a hold-to-run or hold-to-crouch option. You cannot really change your mouse look precision (lowest setting is still too high for a shooter). You have to set up controls multiple times - one for your guy, one for your guy in the car, and there are numerous bugs involved (like, car part would let you assign a key that is already used for "map" or "heal" but it wont work because map or healing always takes precedence). If you ever happen to accidentatlly reassign left click to something else than shooting, you'll have to spend a LOT of time to get your shooting with left click back (just binding it back will stop your weapon from shooting, even though you can do everything else you usually do with left click in this game). Worst of all - glider and wingsuit controls are NOT reassignable. You will have to use WASD for that even if you changed your control scheme. Even worst - if you reassign your crouch key, you will NOT be able to use wingsuit at all because parachute won't open! And without it, landing on anything except water is instant death. After you get over the console portedness of the game, you will be greeted with other annoyances. First - game LOVES to take control from you and force you through long and tedious unskippable cutscenes, special interactive cutscene-like corridor levels, unskippable long phone calls that repeat every time you reload a game even if you save after hearing that call. A huge tutorial is unskippable, even if you chose "difficulty level for very experienced FPS players" - yeah sure, teach me how to crouch, run or avoid detection. Second - game isnt really always open worded. A lot of times you'll be "locked" into an area of a mission, being unable to leave (leave = you went out of combat zone mission failed forced reload). Third - game constantly makes you pause for actions like map, skill allocation, crafting... this is even more ridiculous than eating on pause in Skyrim. You can make leatherwares, craft medicine of insane properties (like 30 second invulnerability or quad damage) on PAUSED so you dont really need to stock up on any medicine - just bring the reagents with you. This really breaks immersion and constantly takes you out of the game. They could make it like in FC2 where you take out map to look at it, or you'd sit down to sew/craft syringes, look at your tatau to chose which skill to pick next, anything! But not this. However, when you get past all this, Far Cry 3 is a great experience. Its very fun, it feels like truly open world, you can do a lot of stuff, crafting and minigames and activities ARE involving and addictive, hunting treasure or animals is fun and overall, yes, this game is good. If you can manage the bads... Expand
  33. Jun 15, 2013
    Good characters, the story was pulled off well except for one decision that Jason makes that I didn’t buy at all. Being able to take out the outposts in any manner you please was great fun, but I think this is mainly because you could avoid the tedium of cover based combat. I didn’t finish the story line, the gameplay suffered greatly in the story based missions. Mostly it was Jason protecting another character with waves of pirates attacking you for some unspecified period of time. The other variant was for you to be charging through enemy lines waiting to come up against a wall of enemy fire you couldn’t tank and then we’re back to the same old cover based combat. During a story mission they attempted a stealth mission but it was just Jason following the path laid out for him by the developers. I didn’t finish this game, the gameplay just sucked too hard during the story missions. 7/10 for the fun had with the outposts, characters and the story itself not the gameplay during the story. Expand
  34. Dec 5, 2012
    Let's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in the middle and you can run around it - there it is. When a match is over and you're the best player on the winning team you can decide to either punish or spare the best player in the opposing team. That's about the only cool thing with the multiplayer-part. I'd sum it up as a **** clone of Call of duty-multiplayer - and im not even a call of duty fanboy. The single player was pretty fun when I started. The story was compelling enough for me to get interested in the antagonist and the main character (yourself) but once you got out of that first "zone" it all got worse. I thought that the survival-aspect seemed cool in trailers. But that was because I expected that the main character would have to collect eatable plants, hunt animals etc in order to survive. But nope. That's all part of some weird and huge unlock-system. You can make a backpack out of 2 X meat from animal Y. That animal is marked on your minimap so there's no way that you can miss it. The same goes for all the plants. Just look at your minimap and all you need to do is go there. It's an open world but since EVERYTHING is marked on the map it feels as if everything is already explored. You already know where everything is so there's close to no exploring. Sure, you can climb up a radiotower and the hotspots will become even more apparent to you (they actually show you how the place looks from an angle, instead of just the marked spot).

And if that wasnt enough the AI is beyond stupid. You can throw rocks to distract the AI, you've got an infinite amount of rocks and you can do it a billion times. Each time the AI goes "WHAT WAS THAT?!", each time just as surprised as the previous time you did it. Their reactiontimes also seem to be really slow. They aim at you and after about 5 seconds they start shooting. I guess this is some setting that would help console-players to kill their enemies fast enough but on a PC it's incredibly easy to get the kill before they actually start shooting.

Eventually the story just spins into a cliché and I totally lost interest. Stopped playing after about two hours of playtime. I doubt I will play it again. The co-op was repetative and easy (on the hardest difficulty). The co-op is not like single player. You're on a rail on one specific "mission" at a time. It's not even a story, you go get a bomb, place it and then you go to spot X. Mission complete and you go back to the lobby. All in all a really crappy game. It gets 2 because the voiceacting was better than average.
  35. Dec 4, 2012
    I am going to be honest about this game's graphics, they are terrible. Not only does it look worse that the previous game, Far Cry 2, it looks like they actually did cell shading, after which they added a bunch of DOF, SSAO, Motion Blur, MSAA and DX11 just to attempt to appease computer snobs who like to brag about their systems. These effects do nothing to improve the already mediocre textures, bad cartoonish looking grass...and the water and water effects look like they were done with the Windows paint program. Let's take a look at a game like Dirt Showdown, for example, and compare it to this game. When you max out Dirt Showdown, you can really tell the difference, in Far Cry 3 you can't, but your computer takes a huge performance hit for no reason at all. Another game, The Witcher 2 (which is only directx9) the water effects in the Witcher 2 are absolutely stunning, because it looks like real water and when you step in water, there are ripple effects in the puddles, and that is only DX9! Another prominent example is Skyrim, the new textures they added are absolutely stunning, both The Witcher 2 and Skyrim look like they would be DX11, although they are not. When you are playing Skyrim and walking through Solitude, it feels as though you are actually in a real village, your character model looks impressive and you can see the detail on your armor and weapons. The rocks on the trails in Skyrim are impressive, and the water, though not as impressive as in The Witcher 2, still looks better than the 2D "DX11" water in Far Cry 3. Like I said, compare Far Cry 3 to any of these other games, and you will see what I mean. (P.S. compare it with the 2-3 year old Just Cause 2, and you'll definitely see what I mean). Expand
  36. Dec 5, 2012
    I know the game just came out and I've only played for a few hours now, but this game is simply stunning to look at and blew me away from the start! It is a strong contender for my game of the year already and may be the most richly detailed and beautiful game I've ever seen. It has a grisly beginning that sets the tone of the game and makes you feel like you are definitely outnumbered and out of your element. Your character has never seen anyone killed, much less used a gun! The island is completely open to explore and the random encounters with animals etc. are really cool and make it feel like a real world where anything can happen at any time. I was swimming in a creek to gather a plant at the bottom and got attacked by a crocodile out of nowhere and couldn't fight it off, I died. The enemies in the game are not the dumbest AI I've ever seen, but also not special forces. I think they react pretty well to what happens around them but can do some random things. The PC version is far and away the best one to get if you have a nice gaming machine. I am using an Alienware M17x with i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, and Nvidia G-Force GTX 580 graphics card. I turned the graphical settings to ultra and 8x anti-aliasing on. It is also DirectX 11 enabled. I have to say that no game I have, even Crysis 2 and Rage, look this good! Expand
  37. Aug 11, 2014
    What's the definition of insanity? I think Vaas knows. Without him the game would have been without taste. Generally It's an acceptable childish game. The equatorial atmosphere is great but the places aren't so convincing. I didn't like the idea of saving my friends though. A serious mysterious story with a sublime goal would have been much better. The vegetation colors are exaggerated, so are all of those explosions everywhere and action generally. The graphics are bad compared with the previous version which is very rich in graphics. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 but I'm not playing it again. I think I'll play Far Cry 2 because I's balanced and complete in all aspects. Expand
  38. Apr 22, 2013
    Far Cry 3 was really disappointment game even the story is good and it have Interesting characters but rest of the game is just meh and poorly made that made game way too easy even on master difficulty that i only played on half way then i stopped playign it. Every time i try play FC3 more, more i start hate it because of: Really bad enemy and team mate AI Useless crafting Useless rpg element that make game even more easier
    Useless hunting after you get all crafting itmes
    Build-in wall hack that they force you to use it
    Really bad mouse keyboard controlls especially aiming that is your worst enemy in whole game and force you to use controller
    Poor and useless fire element and it's also bugged that most of time you get hurt by invisible fire
    Way too many bugs from release day and they are still there
    Poorly optimized
    After dying you spawn random place and never to last save place

And list go on and on and on.......

So basically FC3 is just full of bugs and poorly made things that are clearly rushed.
  39. Dec 23, 2012
    One of the best games I've played to date. Incredible and immersive plot, brilliantly fun gameplay and plenty of side-quests and bonus content with plenty of humour on the side. Any game that contains Flight Of The Valkyries and Damien Marley sequences and still goes on to top them deserves special credit for that alone.
  40. Jan 19, 2013
    Lol you can always tell a commercial bimbo game with no soul when all the *mainstream* mentioning no names, gamer magazines/websites are all creaming their cheese in feigned excitement and hype.
    I imagine none of the reviewers played more than 1-2 hours and got loads off freebies from the publishers for plugging their dross....skip it and buy an indie game you money will go to a better place.
  41. Mar 3, 2013
    Awesome game, Love the story, graphics, Atmosphere, Open World which has quests like mmorpg, skill tree system, customizing weapons, general smoothness of gameplay its ecellent, ty very much Ubisoft Montreal. PS: Musics too i listen to it every now and than and it never bores.
  42. Jan 14, 2013
    Most over rated game of 2012. The story is by far the best part of this game no doubt. Vas is what makes this game I mean the dude is on the cover. Lets face it though once you finish him off there is nothing left to do. You grind through a story that has become less interesting although not yet bad. And once you take the forts on the island there is nothing left to do. The game gives a good 20 hours tops of gameplay and the multiplayer is well done. However the game itself is empty and the plot is filled with holes and cliche copy paste story lines from movies. Expand
  43. Mar 30, 2013
    I didn't begin playing FC3 until mid-March. But overall I think it's a good game. I think Ubisoft Montreal clearly had considerations in mind how to make improvements over Far Cry 2 with this one. For example, instead of merely scouting enemy outposts and wiping them out repeatedly after respawns, you can liberate them for good and back into the hands of the local islanders known as the Rakyat (similar to the real-life Maori). Also, your guns no longer jam, and most of them have upgrades that boost their damage, ammo capacity, range, fire rate, noise reduction, and optics, whereas the only upgrades available in the predecessor were for accuracy and reliability (jam resistance). Many hunting and knife-assassination missions become available as you liberate outposts, and get cash rewards for each. Also, you can unlock Signature (Unique) Weapons in shops as you collect Lost WWII Letters, Relics, and Memory Cards throughout Rook Island. The main complaints I had about the game were that stealth was mandatory in some of the story missions. I hate failing missions because I got detected. Also, some of the hunting quests require overpowered or underpowered weapons to hunt certain animals. For instance, sometimes you have to kill a pack of Rabid Dogs with an RPG or Flamethrower, but also Bears and Tigers with a pea-sprayer Skorpion. As far as the narrative goes, there are several surreal hallucinogenic moments, as well as intense confrontations with arch nemeses like Vaas. Some moments get quite emotional, and you're forced to make decisions in a split second. Anyway, I hope I didn't reveal too many spoilers here. My over verdict is that if you enjoyed Far Cry 2 but felt it lacking in some areas, you will enjoy Far Cry 3 more. Expand
  44. Dec 20, 2012
    The first 2 hours I played this game I thought it could be pretty good. I wanted to be able to carry more items, so I decided to start it by crafting some bags. As it turns out, I only needed to kill 4 of each animal to craft everything, so animals become useless pretty early. While I was doing that, every 2 minutes or so, a pop up shows up in the upper left corner reminding me of the quest I could be doing. Its like the game believes I forgot what I should do instead of letting me play it however I want to. Trying to ignore that, I proceed by climbing some radio towers to unlock the map. After climbing 4 towers, I have a free light machine gun, sniper rifle, flamethrower waiting for me at every item shop. Also, I can heal myself whenever I want.
    The enemy pirates (all dressed in red so you dont confuse them with the good guys, which wear blue) dont stand a chance. Having played 2 and a half, maybe 3 hours of the game, I dont see why I should keep playing. I already have way too strong weapons, crafted everything I needed (Im lacking some hunter path items or something, but I have enough capacity as it is) and the unlockable skills dont look very interesting. I mean, why would I care for reloading 25% faster when the game is really easy as it it? I dont know, the idea of being a survivor in a dangerous island had potential, but for me it is ruined by having huge weapons from the start, ammo and money everywhere, the ability to heal to full health by cracking my thumb, useless wild life, lame AI (they dont spot you unless you let them see you for 10 seconds or so, and if you block their line of sight before that, its like nothing happened.), boring characters and repetitive gameplay. I wanted to like this, maybe try again with the survivor idea?
  45. Dec 26, 2012
    Well I enjoyed the game at some points but it was extreme buggy, even on my Gtx 2gb Nvidia card which should be above average, and my 8gb ram. I had constantly some bugs on the visual effects like smoke and explosions. The boss battles just sucked, there is no clear thing that you kill a guy or a horde of his guys and then kill him, all boss fights happen like in a vision where you see daemons and crap. Well was nothing special. The graphics sucked compared to Crysis of course. Expand
  46. Jan 5, 2013
    Good graphics, sounds and excellent visuals. The story and the settings is innovative, even though the storyline itself is quite weak. To make a long story short: This is a GREAT improvement since FC2. However the game is slighly poorly optimized and there is lack of graphic settings for the PC version to make it even higher. Unfortunately, the game suffers when Singleplayer is done. The MP menu's is a mess and seems to be directly ported from the console version. There is no dedicated servers so you'll have to waitin a lobby and experience more unstable gameplay. Multiplayer is also far to dumbed down with features such as enemies on the minimap, killcam, and xray-vision - even though you CAN deactivate all this to your own preference, doing so will ironically, make you end up playing -UNRANKED-, which mean that you cannot gain any XP - at all. All in all, FC3 is by far the best game in the series, but unfortunately its shortcoming makes the experience drop for me and it does not feel like it gives the PC a fair piece of the cake. Expand
  47. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is simply amazing and quite possibly one of the first games in a long time to not disappoint. The graphics are stunning, the audio is amazing, and the story is captivating. It took me about 4 1/2 days to beat it and I am thoroughly satisfied. There were some minor quirks that I didn't like about the game, normally the set and times scenes that seemed a little ridiculous, but once they were over I was not left feeling annoyed, but accomplished, so I assume that's what they were going for. I would recommend this game to anybody, which is more than I can say about all of the other worthless junk out right now. Expand
  48. Dec 4, 2012
    Absolutely in love with this game. A huge, beautiful and great, living world with many of things to do besides the very well executed missions. While Ubisoft tried to make their previous installment Far Cry 2 immersive it almost went controversy and a little too realistic. Jamming guns, a lack of hud mode and an overall lack of gameplay features drive you away from the experience. In Far Cry 3, things have changed. With the new introduced RPG elements, abilities to craft and the ability to use stealth against your enemies, it actually became lots of fun to travel instead of frustrating. Far Cry 3 offers us what the openworld genre is supposed to offer, while the previous installment was good, it lacked many things that other openworld games had to offer. Besides the addictive singleplayer campaign, there's also a little uninspired, but yet so fun multiplayer with a huge map editor, allowing the people who love to be creative almost unlimited hours of fun. The 6 hour Coop is pretty interesting also, but i personally see much more potential in the Map editors sandbox mode, allowing you to put AI in your maps. Imagine if Ubisoft skipped this whole coop and made it possible for the player to create their OWN coop, each with it's own map and objective. This way, the AI would Ubisoft introduced us be where it really belongs to. Now Far Cry 3 isn't flawless, but offers so much fun and an almost unlimited amount of replay value, making it my personal Game Of The Year 2012. Expand
  49. Mar 14, 2013
    This game is by far one of the best games I have ever played. Never before have I've gotten so much adrenaline playing a game, the story is an amazing thriller and interesting (it does get a bit weird though).
    Do by all means buy this game!
  50. Mar 2, 2013
    I went into this game expecting some mindless entertainment, and was completely caught off guard. The Rook islands are gorgeous and full of places to explore, contain a wealth of semi-enjoyable side missions to complete, and serve as a contrast for the ugly brutality that goes on within them. The characters, save for Jason Brody, aren't terribly interesting and are very one-note, and dialogue is at times cringe-worthy. Combat is exceptionally fun, and is very easy for the player to tailor to fit their style of play. But, in my opinion, Jason Brody's story is where Ubisoft Montreal knocked it out of the park. Throughout the game you'll be shown quotes from Alice's Adventure in Wonderland, which is a fitting parallel for the story of Far Cry 3. Jason Brody is transformed by the islands, and savage characters he's forced to deal with. The ending did a very good job of showing this off, and left me wondering how I was ever put in such a mad situation. Easily one my favorite games of last year, only hindered by some minor quibbles. If you're on the fence about this game, I'd say give it a shot it might impress you like it did me. Expand
  51. Dec 20, 2012
    Great game give me almost everythingI want in a sandbox adventure. The history are very well written, the scenariosare beautiful and dinamics, chase animals are great, the gunfight its solid, only the stealth are not perfect, but ok. The games could be better, of course, but for me, in 2012, is the best FPS over the year
  52. Dec 4, 2012
    It has been a very long time since I had so much fun with a game without having to play multiplayer (usually all the real content of most games nowadays lies in multiplayer).
    First off it's a splendid and gorgeous game, especially on PC. The amount of detail and polish is very impressive on such a large scale FPS. The best thing about it is that it is consistent - the game looks just as
    good everywhere, which is a very nice and unexpected thing in a game of this magnitutde. For example in other games of this caliber you will see low quality textures here and there, some glitches and inconsistencies (especially in the Assassin's Creed series) - but not here.
    Another good thing about this game is the amount of freedom you are given to approach said objective. Sure there are a couple of story missions that are kind of linear or restrictive, but other than that it's all up to you. Do you like to make a noisy entrance into the enemy base, without knowing where the enemies are, spray-and-praying Call of Duty style? Go ahead. Do you like to stalk your prey and make a plan and try to keep to it as you silently pick them off with your silenced sniper or trusty bow? You can do that. Or maybe baiting your enemies while you sneak into their base, plant a mine near every alarm and next time they see you BOOM! Or maybe let that leopard trapped in that cage do the job for you. Done! You have so many options it can be overwhelming at times. Most AAA RPGs that are released now and boast with their freedom of choice don't even come close to this game.
    Speaking of RPGs, this game also tries to borrow some elements: you have crafting (but more on this later) and 3 different skill-trees that as you unlock skills in them, tattoos appear on your forearm *or Tataus like they are called here*. But ultimately it isn't that well done as in traditional RPGs.
    Crafting in this game is essential and really makes you want to go hunt or gather ingredients for syringes that beside healing you can grant you some neat abilities (the ability to sense the animals around you or repel predators, etc)
    As for the animals, this is where the game does a VERY good job. There are two types of animals: carnivores and herbivores. Predators and prey. Wherever you go chances are you will see leopards chasing deer, tigers hunting buffalos, sharks eating tortoises, bears assaulting villagers etc. It feels very organic, natural and chaotic as well. These animals can make your life very hard - like surveying an enemy outpost only to find yourself attacked by a tiger, thus drawing enemy attention and realizing there are 4 times more enemy troops now. Or making a run for it and having to cross a river only to be assaulted by a crocodile and dragged underwater as soon you dive into the river. Splendid!
    Now for the story - it is quite interesting as you progress and see Jason slowly changing as a person, lowering himself to Vaas's level. Speaking of Vaas, he is a very good character and a lot of people have compared him to Heath Ledger's joker. You can clearly see the amount of effort Michael Mando (his voice actor) put into him.
    I loved the creepy quotes from Alice in Wonderland appearing between chapters, which to some can seem out of place - but trust me, they fit perfectly.
    Besides the main missions there are plenty of activities ranging from hunting special animals with a specific weapon to races and mini games - Machinima have compared Far Cry 3 to Skyrim and rightfully so.
    There is also a Coop mode and Multiplayer but the real star here is the Singleplayer mode which is both hard and rewarding.
    The one thing that got on my nerves was that your character is supposed to be a town-raised douchebag with no real experience handling weapons - but still he can use a sniper rifle with great accuracy as soon as he touches it. One thing they could have done to fix this would have been to bring back the gun damage from Far Cry 2 - at first guns would jam while you fire them, and as you kill more people you "learn" how to stop this from happening and progressively disappear.
    But they had to cater to the casual players who complained about this mechanic making Far Cry 2 too hard.
    In conclusion my recommendation would be to buy this game, ESPECIALLY if you like first person shooters. It has a solid multiplayer mode and high replay value singleplayer.
  53. Dec 4, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is one of the games you should not afford to miss. From beautiful tropical islands to thick jungles, Dunia Engine 2 may not be best looking but still worth to satisfy the cause.The plot of game has simple yet entertaining elements . Micheal as Vaas has done a phenomenal job,but you will still found a hell lot of insanity in the game . Gun system(without malfunction) now feel so much fun and driving different range of vehicles always feel awesome. Though i didn't like Hunting-Skinning,Tower as well as its buying system , but there is soo much in campaign that you find it a perfect sequel of Far Cry 3 series Expand
  54. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is at best, average. The side missions are dumb. You have all these kinds of guns but you are limited to using a knife on missions. Each outpost you must liberate are basically the same. 4 enemies, kill them all then it's yours. It gets pretty repetitive. Not to mention that there is no point in exploration in this game. Once you are done in an area, there's no point in going back to it, because it will stay that way the entire game, it will not be re-conquered by bad guys or some other scenario, it's very static, not a dynamic world.
    It would have been more interesting if there's constant fighting between the rebels and the pirates, where you could jump in and be the difference maker, but there is no such thing in Farcry 3.
    It's a single play-through game that's not worth 60 bucks retail.
    I would not advise in getting the mods for this game as many of those things replace binaries, which could be a carrier for a trojan virus. Mods are done by strangers, not an official company.
  55. Dec 16, 2012
    Graphics - There hasn't been a world this beautifully crafted in quite some time. Story - interesting if genre trope heavy outing. Tries to tackle some weighty topics but never quite hits the right notes (no empathy for most of the characters). Game-play - great FPS' mechanics, nice variety of weapons and initially a wonderful range of things to do. As with all games though, they do wear thin after many hours of play. Overall - I haven't been sucked into a game world this much since Skyrim, so that should be praise enough. Buy It. Expand
  56. Jan 13, 2013
    I really don't know why everybody giving this game highest scores. This game for sure have potential to be 10. But too much in this game is made wrong or bugged. First, game is too easy and missions.. Well, stupid. Go there, kill 10 people. So, after going to site there is literally 3 minutes of work to get mission done. Further, story is that linear that if you have mission and you etc. see tv tower near you get killed to "fail mission" if you want to reveal map when around. So , potential is here. Few minor updates and this game would be pure 10!!! Expand
  57. Dec 16, 2012
    It is best game on this year! Multiplayer is not bad, but co-op is amazing!!!!!! I recommended this game for all... bl-bla-bla/ just say one: must have!!!
  58. Feb 2, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is now among one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Far Cry 3's story brought me to the boundaries of my very emotions. The story is so immersive, It managed to get my heart racing during extremely suspenseful moments, as if I was truly experiencing it for myself. Every character has a very distinctive, believable, and well-developed personality. You truly build an emotional connection with these characters, which sets the stage for an extremely influential story. Not only that, but the design choices made in the game greatly amplify the immersion, and encourage you think about the deeper themes that it's dark and unpredictable story may possess. But what about the gameplay? Good news, it's absolutely incredible. You are a warrior, a hunter, a stuntman, a skilled craftsman, you are everything you could ever hope to be and more. This game allows you to do so much, it's almost unbelievable. This is all complimented by the elaborate, beautiful, and extensive open world environment. The island is your playground, and even after completing the story there is still much left to accomplish on the island. Now, this is primarily a single-player review, as I value a good single-player experience over a multiplayer experience any day. However, I was delightfully surprised by the multiplayer in this game. I expected the multiplayer to be a more of a gimmick, since the single-player is already enough to warrant an amazing rating. However, Ubisoft actually delivered a decent, entertaining, and well-developed multiplayer experience. I give the story a 10/10, the gameplay a 10/10, and the multiplayer an 8/10. I am rounding this score up to a solid 10/10, because like I said, this is primarily a single-player review, and the single-player is worthy of this rating. Expand
  59. Dec 25, 2013
    I originally wrote a terrible review for this game and frankly I am embarrassed by it. Once I took the time to learn the game and put thought into surviving in this amazing world, I realized that it is a true gem. Everything about it is perfection; the missions are fun and creative, the environment is beautiful and alive, and the hunting and foraging for the items you need to craft is brilliant. It is an environment that you can spend nearly endless time exploring and enjoying, whether it's daytime or nighttime or during inclement weather, this dynamic land will keep you engaged. This game takes the best elements of (the nearly good game) Far Cry 2 and perfects the experience. If you like open world sandbox games then you need to play this. Expand
  60. Dec 8, 2012
    Far Cry 2 was a good - interesting - game. But Far Cry 3 is an explosion of awesomeness, everything that we loved in the last one has been improved and mixed with some great features that make Far Cry 3 one of the best games in 2012. This game gathers the stealthiness of Dishonored, side along with RPG crafting system and COD's fast paced action without feeling shallow or unoriginal, everything here flows perfectly. The graphics are amazing - unfortunately I've suffered some framerate issues, but they're kinda rare and don't jeopardize the experience - one of the best in the year. The crafting system is pretty useful and addicting, sooner you will find yourself hunting deers and pigs because you don't have more room in your rucksack or because your wallet is stuffed, not only it doesn't feel difficult to find the crafting materials but also gives you an interesting chore to upgrade your equipments. I've to say that the story is more emotional - way more - and compelling than the previous two games, making you wonder how far can you go to protect the ones that you love. I won't say that disappointed me, but the multiplayer is pretty common, like COD's TD or something else, it's more different than the single player, you can't find maps that ask for a more tactical approach or stealth skills, it's just COD's fast paced action : People running like chickens around a certain map, some camping inside houses or between the woods, really dull. Far Cry 3 it's a gem, you can find some flaws and things that can't disappoint you, but in the overall it's a great game that you cannot miss it. Expand
  61. Dec 16, 2012
    This is basically the same game as Far Cry 2 except that you now have the ability to craft items such has rucksacks, holsters, and ammo packs. The graphics are great! The game play is entertaining enough for me. If you didn't like FC2, then don't waste your time. Some of the quests are repetitive, but I haven't seen much originality in FPS in several years now.
  62. Jan 10, 2013
    + Open world + Graphic + Gameplay + Multi language - No ambient sound settings, environment sound nearly mute. - No info about the many graphic options, the eye hurting pixel storm LOD switch is "Geometry" - No Loot and Hideout re-spawn. A isle full of peoples, nobody use a empty box, a empty hideout or bunker. This problem have 99% of all games inc. Skyrim. Only Oblivion has made it.
    - No endless routine side missions. A isle full of peoples, nobody has a job for you after 3 weeks. Another 99% of all games problem.
    - Forgotten Art of grass. In FC2 grass up to the horizon with wind play, in FC3 the grass spawns around your feet.
  63. Dec 4, 2012
    [European]
    Far Cry 3 is an ok shooter, a bad RPG and a good Adventure game.
    The Shooter - 6/10:
    The shooting mechanics are good and it is a lot of fun to sneak around with a knife and when you manage to complete an entire quest using knife only you feel like a SHADOW OF DEATH. However the long animation associated with looting or doing take-down kills can leave you vulnerable for a bit
    to long.
    The AI is acceptable, sometimes it feels like it is tracking you to well and sometimes but often it it just stupid enough for you to have fun trying to trick it.
    There are a fair amount of weapon types and while most of the guns feel very similar there are still enough variation and ability to equip different sights, attachments and colors that it feels satisfying.
    However there are some strange bugs with weapons that have extended clips that they are never full up on ammo when you get them from the shop and this is where the RPG element shows it's ugly head.

The RPG - 4/10:
    You can level up, craft items and larger bags to carry stuff in, problem is that you unlock the skills by progressing the story and you earn so much xp that you will always have skill points hanging around waiting for you to do more story missions. So why they don't automatically unlock these new ability when you progress is a mystery to me. This is doubled by that the keyboard and mouse controls in the menus are really clunky.
    The crafting is also under developed you will have crafted all the pouches you can when you are a quoter way into the game and after that skinning animals is pointless and you try to avoid all animals in the world. You can still craft syringes that can help you in various ways however i played the game on hard and never used anything other than the healing syringe that you start with.
    The looting of enemies is also a bit of a downer, you only get money and on the rare occasion some ammo or grenades, but nothing that really feels worth your time and while it is fun to unlock new weapons and attachments for the weapons once you have unlocked all the mechanic falls completely flat and there aren't enough signature weapons (unique weapons you buy that have attachments combinations and colors that the normal unlocked ones don't have) to keep you going.
    The health system is a bit strange, you regenerate partially depleted health bars automatically but not empty ones and you take so much falling damage that while exploring you will lose a bar now and then, the only way to regain that health is to use a health syringe or if you are out of those you can use your healing skill, however since you don't want to waste healing syringes you will end up playing 90% of the game with 1 or 2 bars of health missing.

The Adventure game - 8/10:
    The most fun part of the game is roaming around the beautiful island, unlocking GPS towers and camps are a lot of fun and provide a nice challenge, problem is that once you have unlocked all towers and camps there are basically no enemies left in the world and everything but the story feels pointless. However it will take you some time to do this so it is a minor problem.
    The main character is annoying but the story is good and you will meet some very enjoyable characters along the way. I do however feel that they have taken a step back from FC2 in not letting you chose your character, it would have been nice if there was a choice to play as either a male or female lead and this could easily have been integrated into the story.
    Also the Checkpoint/Save system is a bit weird sometimes working well and at other times not as much, I thought FC2 did the adventure save system better with your friend showing up to save you.

Conclusion:
    It is a good game, while I do miss the red Hawaiian shirt I did still have fun with this game and I do look forward to Far Cry 4.

P.S Ubisoft FFS get rid of the !#%& Uplay, I hate this stupid thing, what was so bad about FC2 system? Install and play and if you choose to go online you needed a CD-key, that was a perfect system!
  64. Jan 10, 2013
    The best part of far cry 3 is the singleplayer. The island is huge and pretty. The wildlife is done great and the "survival" aspects of the game is great fun. There is a lot quests to keep you busy but the quests that is not part of the main campaign is not very varied and will therefor get quite repetitive pretty fast. You can however for the most time decide how you approach your goal which is a nice feature. The main campaign of the game is surprisingly varied and the story have a lot of good moments and memorable characters. The story do however also have some weak spots with some really silly plot turns. The gunplay and action isn't the best that i have seen but that do not have a huge impact on the game since the gameplay is as varied as it is. The singleplayer do however have some minor problems. Radiotowers and enemey bases get old really fast. terrible boss-battles, quicktime events, strange enemy back-up and annoying heavy soldiers is a couple of examples. The multiplayer part of the game is alright. The co-op is a lot more actions oriented than the singleplayer which kind of sucks since that wasn't the best part of the game. The normal multiplayer is bland but ok. I would say that the game is overall quite impressive and that the singleplayer is enough for me to recommend this game to everyone with an interest in the genre. Expand
  65. JEK
    Mar 20, 2013
    one of the best fps I've played. The game was smooth and an open world with lots of animals. Sub missions are repeatable and also the enemies has the same face. But overall this is a good game. Nice graphics and Nice View of the environment. Hopefully they release far cry 4 as soon as possible,
  66. Oct 13, 2013
    I can't say I did not enjoy the game but being more of a storyline guy I must say I got a little bored pretty soon.... I found the main storyline to be short and not at all surprising... No twists or anything.. On the bright side there are a lot of misc. things to do while you are exploring the map which indeed adds to the depth and and the timespan of the game... Hunting Exploring Taking Down Radio Towers and capturing enemy bases are just some of the things you can do on the island but I found that even these activities get a little boring after a while... Expand
  67. Dec 6, 2012
    Feels a lot like Far Cry 2 (which was amazing). Neither FC2 nor this one are perfect, but Far Cry gets better at each installment and this one is a lot of fun. Lure a tiger to clear out half an enemy camp, then dispatch the rest with some sniping mixed with stealthy knife take-down combos. Enough said, it's just fun.
  68. Mar 7, 2013
    If you do not like this game, you just are not a game fan, or (very likely from the PC elitists crowd) your just automatically hate AAA releases. You're one of those "indie" guys. First off anyone that says the graphics stink are just insane, they are incredible besides a couple of questionable terrain textures in spots. You will need a GTX 680+ to max out this game at 1080p with 8x MSAA. The combat is really where this game shines, it is more varied and exciting than any single player FPS in recent memory. Maybe even since (blasphemy) Half-Life 2! Take em all out silently with the chained takedown, or roast them with the flamethrower, or set up a mine and throw a rock so they walk over it. Snipe from afar, impale them with arrows, use a predator (tiger) to help you out! The story is as cheesy as it gets I'll admit, but not the worst as games go. The main bad guy is at least interesting. It's an open world shooter, reminding me more of fallout, but unlike fallout the gunplay is very smooth without the assistance of something like VATS. The story and side quests suck compared to fallout, but the action and exploring the island/taking outposts is so fun I don't think you'll be doing anything, but playing this game a couple of hours into it. Unless your a PC snobbington, which appear to be more and more prevalent these days. Expand
  69. Nov 10, 2013
    A total turn of events, the expectation was so high that this game let me down.
    Apart from multiplayer there's nothing interesting to be done after completing the game plot which by the way seemed to me another let down, whipping Vaas out of the frame so ungracefully just like Bane was trashed out in Dark Night
    The good parts are all there but it especially leaves the feeling of
    unfinished everything but the graphics, sadly. Expand
  70. Dec 22, 2012
    I have to admit, the intro and beginning blew me away. The game was pretty, the cinematics were great and the game felt free and fun BUT after 10-15 hours later i find the game virtually boring and unplayable WHY? It's downright repetitive and enemies and wildlife spawn randomly, so the triumph of clearing an area is not there as they will just respawn with time. Crafting was cool at first, but all you really need is some baggage and then you are done with it. Loot boxes are scattered randomly over the map, but loot is not worth much as you acquire guns for free as you progress anyway. Vehicles are all over the place, etc etc. Basically everything is just randomly positioned around and it's the same wherever you go. The missions are completely boring. The best thing about the game is the cutscenes and character models. Expand
  71. Jan 16, 2013
    As a fan of the Far Cry franchise, I really wanted to like this game, but I found it remarkably difficult to enjoy. It has a few interesting concepts (hunting, takedowns, zip lines) but they are poorly implemented and do little to make this game fun. They have eliminated many of the major flaws found in Far Cry 2 (e.g. infinitely respawning guards), but also many of the things which made that game enjoyable (e.g. 'buddies' and weapon deterioration). Many of the new features and mechanics feel like they were borrowed from the Assassin's Creed franchise (e.g. looting bodies, climbing towers to reveal the map). The story is much more developed in this game than its predecessor, but unfortunately it is also less interesting overall. Throughout the story you are forced to endure many dream or hallucination sequences that are generally boring and do nothing to advance the story. Even the major 'boss fights' are ruined in this way, forcing you to endure quick-time events or repetitive corridor shooting, rather than allowing you to just play the FPS game you wanted. Probably the worst part is that although this game is technically 'open world,' the world feels very empty and boring. There's plenty of lush terrain to explore but precious few things to do there: the handful of enemy bases are easily captured (permanently), which also removes all enemy patrols from the area, and the few civilian settlements have almost nothing to do there, and you cannot talk to hardly any civilian NPCs. Overall it's not a terrible game, but I did find it to be a big let-down, and it certainly does not live up to the hype surrounding it. Expand
  72. Dec 31, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is without a doubt the best single player game of the year. While the story of Jason Brody is a bit convoluted and unbelievable, this can be ignored as the story is merely a catalyst to discover the incredible environment of Rook islands, to interact with the fantastically presented characters and to enjoy the ludicrously good gunplay.
    People have said this is Skyrim with guns
    but instead of putting you in a massive open world and simply leaving you to your own devices, Far Cry 3 gives a great amount of encouragement for you to explore, hunt and gather the materials you will need to get better weapons and equipment. It also does this without boycotting you or making feel as if you have no choice in what you do which links to the main ethos of Far Cry; You play Far Cry how you want to play Far Cry. You can go in stealthily and take over outposts undetected or you can go all guns blazing and have to deal with reinforcements, you can just go straight to the story missions and do optional objectives later or you could gradually go through all the outposts and watchtowers on your way to the next story mission.
    All the characters are stellar. With the exception of Jason Brody and his friends, which may come as a surprise to you Jason being the main character with his friends being his objectives but they are all rich, dumb, stoned kids who are not that likable but in their defense they aren't nauseating either, however it is definitely interesting to see how Jason changes from the brash, dumb, self-loving kid he was into a warrior spurred on by his love for killing and thirst for revenge. All of the protagonists set backs however are redeemed in the performances of the three main antagonists: Buck, Vaas and Hoyt, all having distinct , insane personalities that produces some of the most unforgettable performances in video game history. Vaas in particular is one of the best villains ever let alone just video games thanks to the awe inspiring acting of Michael Mando.
    I haven't really delved into multiplayer that much but it is decent addition to the game if feeling slightly forced and there is co-op mode in the style of left-4-dead that is a lot of fun but there are some issues with the competitive racing elements online which brought me out of the experience.
    In short conclusion Far Cry 3 has one of the best single player open world experiences in existance supported by a decent multiplayer suite and fun if slightly flawed co-op campaign that is as fun but not as open as the single player campaign. I haven't had the chance to experiment with the powerful map editor yet because of some frame rate drawbacks but from what has been said on the internet it is one of the best creation tools out there so if you can check that out.
    Despite how it may have changed to some die hard far cry fans, Far Cry 3 is an incredible and unique experience that cannot be missed.
  73. Dec 8, 2012
    Man, I don't know what these negative reviewers expect from games. This game is awesome. The action is awesome, the story is pretty good, the sandbox is great, and I didn't see anything wrong with the animal skin crafting system. Also, I didn't have any problems with the stealth system, at all. It functioned as it should. People complaining about activating towers are just whiny children. It takes about 1 min. to climb and activate them, and receiving guns for it isn't so ridiculous, you have to get them some way, and if you don't like climbing the towers, don't. You can get guns by taking them from enemies as well. And as far as side quests being repetitive, what do you expect, they're side quests. This can be said for most sandbox games out there. You can't expect every side quest, especially in a game with so many of them, to feel like a totally new and original story quest. This is an unrealistic idea. The scripted scenes are fun to play, also. I'm so tired of these people that act like they're such video game connoisseurs, that any one who enjoyed this game is, obviously, a casual gamer. Like they know something about games that we don't. I have a badass gaming rig, and every console as well, hence, I'm a gamer, a serious one. I enjoy all good games on all platforms,pc mostly, but I'm not beyond throwing in that nes classic, and playing for hours. Being so intent to play only one platform doesn't make you a gaming elitist, it makes you a close minded retard. No one I know has played MORE games than me, and I don't see what this hate of consoles is all about. Granted, I do buy every game for PC when I can, but I still buy console exclusives, and enjoy playing them. Get off your high horse, and quit acting like you're so much more of a gamer, it's f$%^ing stupid. People like you are the reason I can't trust these pretentious, official reviewers anymore. Everyone is getting too picky and it makes me sick. The only advice I can give these idiots, is quit expecting every game to be a groundbreaking masterpiece. There is nothing wrong with this game, and it functions exactly how I expected it to. If you like shooters that are open world, and have many side objectives and things to do, you should like this game, unless you're trying to prove how elite and ahead of the gaming curve you are. I could sit here and try to pick apart the game, and point out how certain things could've been handled differently, to be made more difficult for you "elite gamers" out there, but instead, I'm gonna just play the damn game and enjoy it. I wanna see what happens to my friends. Expand
  74. Dec 4, 2012
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay . It turns out to provide the ultimate first person experience . Amazing story so far and yeah .. i am impressed... Great Pc port and runs fine on my average system. All in all not a disappointing at all...
  75. Mar 1, 2013
    I'd probably give Far Cry a 8.5 if I could but I'll generously round up to 9. The first couple hours are a lot of fun as you explore the island and it's secrets. Gameplay is decent (played with Xbox controller). Upgrading weapons and skills is a lot of fun. The environment is very nice and adventurous. The main problem of the game is it's, at times, ridiculous story line. Especially the boss fights are a bit disappointing. Overall,it's a great game with a bad story. If you love just exploring, sniping, and doing some crazy fun stuff with a bow or other fun weapons go right ahead., and don't pay too much attention to the story, instead tell your own. Expand
  76. Mar 18, 2013
    10/10, hands down one of the best sandbox games I have ever played. It really reminds me of Crysis 1 before it became all CODish with a preset path. Here, I can attack my opponent from many angles, and the fact that if you take over an outpost without being detected just adds to that awesome feeling of you being a "hunter" "hunting" the pirates. As to the complaints over how crafting works, i personally think it is fine. Sharks are easy to kill if you just use a boats machine gun, tigers are some what of a pain but not immposible. Lastly, this game offers a good bit of challenge. The quests where you must kill a pirate leader only via a knife are awesome, especially when some friendly npc's decide to attack the camp just opening up a great opportunity. Words can not describe this game, thus all I can say is: Buy it now, you will not regret it. Expand
  77. Dec 14, 2012
    I'll start this review by saying I haven't finished the game yet, my guess is that I'm around halfway through the main story. I'll begin by saying that this game is absolutely beautiful - if you're into your graphics then this is the game for you. Having said this, you'll need a pretty decent system to run it at full settings. Seriously, when I saw the screenshots on steam I was pessimistic and instantly thought they were concept art or something, but that is literally how it looks in-game. The atmosphere of the jungle setting is perfect, I feel a lot more encouraged to scout out enemy camps than in the last Far Cry game, and stalking through the brush to avoid road patrols or to hunt your animal prey is exhilarating to say the least. The upgrade/perks system is as effective as it is in any game, and helps drive you to continue on with the story to unlock new abilities, although this could be a bad point for many people who want complete freedom. The crafting system is also good, although when finding materials from animals, selling any excess items is tedious and they quickly fill up your bag if you don't keep track of what materials you need. Also, as someone else has pointed out, animals become quite useless aside from atmosphere once you've finished all of your crafting. But the atmosphere they do create is excellent, with a massive roster of animals ranging from sharks to tortoises to birds of paradise.
    The characters in the story are great and varied, and the voice acting is pretty good on the whole. Rather disappointingly, I find that the worst voice actor is the main character (the player). He seems to change his tone inappropriately and can be quite over-dramatic at times. This is probably my least liked point about the game. Another negative point is that sometimes the story doesn't really make much sense, there are a few moments where you "wake up" after missions without any explanation how you got there, seemingly just for the sake of progressing the story. Getting around the island is easy thanks to fast travel, much to the dismay of anyone who hates this feature in games, but it also encourages you to raid enemy camps to unlock new fast travel points. Driving can be quite difficult at times, the cars can feel quite floaty at times and easy to crash. Walking can be quite tedious but getting to experience the beauty of the island and the animals makes up for it.
    All in all I think it's a fantastic game and definitely worth playing, despite the few bad points I mentioned.
  78. Jan 27, 2013
    Great game, the stealth, the combat, the environment, everything.
    I haven't been that addicted to a game for AGEES. I'm tired of those boring ultra-repetitive games like Portal 2(who IMO deserves a 5 instead of 9.8)
  79. Jan 22, 2013
    I really liked the open world of Far Cry 3. Almost felt a bit like a MMORPG, if you didn't want to continue with the story, then you just played some challenges or took over some camps. Really nice.
  80. Dec 5, 2012
    Hate to see this game get a bad rating from people with bad computers this is one of my favourite games, graphics are awesome and I love how you have to hunt to upgrade your equipment
  81. Apr 26, 2013
    (Single Player Review) As a big Far Cry 2 fan, I was happy with this game. The story and characters are an improvement over FC2, as well as the stealth mechanics. The wild animals are a great addition, the game formula is basically a three-way war between Pirates, Natives (your side), and Predators. The amount of random crazy sh*t that can happen keeps the game from getting boring. The biggest downside is that the game is too easy, especially if your the stealthy, careful type. Fortunately there are mods, the most well-known of which is Ziggys mod, which make the mechanics, especially the HUD, more challenging, and I highly recommend it for a second playthrough. If you liked Far Cry 2, you will probably like this game. Expand
  82. Dec 4, 2012
    An amazing game, featuring stunning visuals and gameplay..
    The combat system allows you to play the game your own way, whether it be like rambo or hitman, or a combination of both himbon! and many other play styles..
    The story could be strong, but its easily over looked when there is so much to do and explore..
    This has quickly become one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, I would
    rank it up there with the GTA Series, Elderscrolls, dark souls and halflife..

The co-op adds many more ours of fun and a social immersion into the tropical island paradise/hell..

Get this game you won't regret it, definitely worth the $70!
  83. Feb 12, 2013
    To sum it up quickly, Far Cry 3 is a good game. Not superb, not ground-breaking, and sometimes annoying, but overall it's good. A lot of the annoyances of Far Cry 2 have been put to bed (the appalling re-spawning springs to mind), and Far Cry 3 offers a nice tropical atmosphere, a decent story, and a good world to explore. Criticisms? Well the saving system is poor (checkpoints in an open world? C'mon!), the animal hunting quickly becomes irrelevant once you've crafted your equipment, and the AI is pretty stupid at times. Also, the missions (outside the main story line) are pretty lame. It's either "hunt an animal" or "kill someone with a knife" and that's about it. Let me be clear, "Skyrim with guns" it most certainly isn't (Skyrim has far more depth). Still, it's a fun shooter overall. Only problem is imagine how good it could have been with decent side quests, a slightly better inventory and a proper saving system. Now THAT would have been Skyrim with guns... Expand
  84. Jan 30, 2013
    In one word: awesomeness. It looks gorgeous, its fun, its kabooom blow up everything mixed with the most enjoyable stealth assassination mechanic I have ever met in a game,especially in an FPS. Its "Just Cause" mixed with "Assassin's Creed". Ok maybe that went far, but I must tell you I haven't enjoyed a game so much in the last two years then this one (except for Dark Souls, but thats another matter). Addictive, funny, and we love Vaas, dont we?:D I very much hope the franchise will follow this line, as after Far Cry 1 (which is one of my most favourite game) Far Cry 2 was a boring let down. But you must have this game! Expand
  85. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Positives:
    - Open worldish with a strong story line (trying not to inject reality here but I will say that the older brother Grant should be the Main Character and Jason should have died) that is, of course, told in a linear fashion
    - Decent gun play and a large variety of weapons, tactics, etc.
    - Good stealth mechanics
    - Decent graphics
    - Great voice acting (Vaas will go down as one of the all-time great villains in video games)
    - Doable platforming that is not horribly frustrating but is still a challenge
    - Well written
    - Great soundtrack and very immersive use of sound throughout the game

Negatives - - The AI will sometimes just go plain stupid on you
    - A few glitches in terrain and other areas that cause you to restart a checkpoint
    - Occasional rendering bugs, for example, there are times when you look like you have a headshot but are really hitting the rock in front of you

All in all this an almost great game and well worth the price.
  86. Dec 27, 2012
    Ubisoft has once again driven a game into the abyss. The use of emulation software for the PC controls has renedered the game unplayable. In fact there are many deal-breakers. AI so poorly written that if you just watch, they will kill themselves. They do nothing. The actual game is so short it's absurd. The multiplayer is just a waste and should not have been done at all considering the wretched state of the singleplayer. Fail! Simple as that Fail..............Fail........................Fail! The only part that was good were the old maps done by Crytek oh so long ago. And then with Ubisoft's help they flash and light in and out. Box game and should have stayed that way! Expand
  87. Dec 4, 2012
    Best sandbox-style FPS at the moment. Huge and beautiful open world to explore (Though it feels repetitive after some time.) A nice selection of weapons, which you can customize with different attachments and color patterns. Combat with enemies feels fun (You can kill enemies with ambushes, setting entire areas on fire or killing them one-by-one with your knife.) The main storyline is a little short and it is not very original, but you can stay exploring the islands after you finished the game. You can earn skill points, which you can use to improve your characters abilities, which is a nice addition. Overall I enjoyed the game much more than any other FPS this year. Expand
  88. Mar 21, 2013
    I picked this game up from the store played it and as soon as i was in, i couldn't stop! The story is amazing, the gameplay is fantastic, the stealth system is the best, and the music is very well done too as i find myself listening to its soundtracks alot. And even after playing and finishing the game twice i still play it. No matter what you cannot miss out on this game!!
  89. Apr 14, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I wish I had purchased it early so I could've enjoyed along with the majority of people. The journey you take as Jason is one of the most memorable single-player stories ever created; and sure, the shooting is great too. However, I wasn't satisfied with the console menus and Uplay launcher that I had to click through. If it wasn't for the sale, I would have definitely purchased the game through steam. Also, multiplayer was a neat little surprise too. Expand
  90. Dec 6, 2012
    In reality I'd rather rate this 7.5, but it's enjoyable enough that I wont give it just a 7. First I must say the game looks very good on PC, I run it on ultra settings and it is very nice, though the occasional artifact or unusual glare effect or texture loading comes up. For a first person shooter, of which I'm not a big fan, it is very enjoyable, the story is a bit cliche, but it's fun to work your way through it (thus far 15 hours in). The sound is good and the voice acting is pretty good. Though the enemy AI is somewhat bad, I think it's unfair to lower the rating given the scope of the game, and the weakness is less apparent in animal AI (all but 2 of my deaths where from sneaky jungle cats, and a crocodile.)
    The flaws in the the game are few, but annoying enough to bring my score down. First the menu system is clearly a port from the counsel and is a bit annoying, having to double click every selection is minor, but it's unusual for me on PC. One thing that bugged me, but once again is somewhat understandable as it is just a game is the head shot I put on a tiger failed to kill it, or even make it break from it's b-line toward me, I find that a bit ridiculous, as heads hots from rifles insta kill enemies personnel. As is usually the case in a game with a lot to do, it's a lot of the same, and the side quests are not varied all that much. Another review touched on this as well, the map has everything marked, so there is no sense of accomplishment from exploring this world, go to a tower and unlock the locations of everything. All you have to do is figure out where the entrance to a cave or temple is.
    Over all though the game is great of fun, and the story though not original is entertaining. With good graphics, and voice work, and a ton of options for weapons. I have not played multi-player yet, so that is not reflected in my rating.
  91. Dec 14, 2012
    First off, i was really disappointed in far cry 2. Just did not have that superb structured feeling to it, same with character development. Far Cry 3 set the record straight for me. Especially the scene where Jason tells Daisy about his brother. The music in the background and the SUPERB voice acting, just totally set the mood perfectly, i actually felt the emotion of it. Aside from the rock solid story and dialogue, the game play is great, plays a lot like Dead Island but with a bit of a Skyrim feeling to it. A few minor graphic glitches but the game looks and plays great. Ive not rated a game this high since Mass Effect 2, and im not even a huge Far Cry fan. But this game is solid, and has my vote for game of the year! Expand
  92. Dec 6, 2012
    This is a very good game. Open world, completely immersible environment, and so far I've really felt like some random guy trying to survive on an island. The new territory system is a huge improvement over Far Cry 2's enemy respawns, and the only major negative aspect I've experienced so far was the save system (it would be nice to have more than one save slot). I haven't spent too much time in multiplayer, but I really only buy these games for the single player so it doesn't factor heavily into my opinion of the game. Graphics have been amazing in my experience, and I think most of the people complaining about this don't realize that it's often their own hardware they should be complaining about instead of the software. I was looking for a game where I could become lost in a world that I had to fight my way out of, and I got that. I plan to sink quite a few hours into this title! Expand
  93. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ***SPOILERS****I really cannot understand all the fantastic reviews and hype surrounding this game GOTY?? I sure hope not. It does not deserve that at all. The game was fun at the start but quickly became boring. The side hunting quests are all exactly the same hunt a rare animal or take down an enemy leader with a knife even taking over enemy outposts became pretty much repetitious run in quick, disable the alarm, run back to surrounding foliage and start picking off enemies one by one with sniper rifle too easy. The NPC village quests are just plain laughable why would I care if a husband is cheating on his wife? And then go ask him to stop!

Now I played the PC version and although the cars boats were fun to drive they are very hard to control especially when doing timed races I only finished one race quest of about twenty or so I tried so I gave up on them in frustration. Shooting games were just as hard and I am a crack shot with the sniper rifle! 95% on head shots. Crafting was ok at first but half the potions you don't need or use and you only get two slots for them! Additionally, you quickly fill up your loot sack and wallet and end up dumping stuff constantly even when you finally craft the largest wallet lootsack that's because there really is nothing to buy so there is no point in even having money in this game or collecting loot. All the weapons are yours for free after climbing radio towers (dumb!!). I was buying all the maps and trying to find every single chest in an area for something to do but soon found out I had no more room for money or loot and nothing to spend it on. The only things I was buying after a while were ammo and bullet-proof vest refills so finding loot and cash is pointless. I'm a loot whore this was really disappointing. You really only need a shotgun, sniper rifle and occasionally an assault rifle. Most of the level up skills are crap as well when would you ever shoot anyone while sliding down the zipline??? I've opened up about 15 or so radio towers so far and never once had any enemies attacking me while doing this. Ditto for jumping on them from a cliff top was never possible.

The other thing that bugged the hell out of me was not being able to walk over a doorsill half the time without jumping Jason does not pick up his feet!!! This becomes deadly when trying to walk along narrow planks on radio towers or along 2x4's in a burning temple while you are on a timer!! And I got stuck in caves or temples several times because he could not get over a small rock! Retrieving loot from bodies and hides from animals was frustrating as well as you always have to hunt around for the right position before the words come up to do the action. Half the time I kept exchanging my guns when I didn't want to as well. Very poor mechanic.

Additionally, all the NPC's are the same! Just 1 or 2 different faces and voices I'm getting (or rather 'gitt ing') sick of that 'Austrylian eccent.'

There are fun parts, though my favorite thing is finding a big supply truck and running over pirates while driving or bashing into their jeeps then backing up and doing it over and over till they are all dead!
    Racing the boats around shooting at pirates is fun, too. Komodo dragons are scary as hell and I almost had a heart attack when I saw a crocodile pull a native into the river! Ouch. Deep diving through underwater caves is cool, as well. You will use the deep diving crafting potion alot.

Which reminds me of the poor menu system why do I have to check out every goddam idol in the book every time I find one when they basically are all the same??? Ditto for the memory cards and letters!! And I like to see actual stuff in my lootsack not just some generic black white drawings.

To sum up beautiful scenery and a few exciting moments does not make up for a dumb story, boring quests, bad mechanics, and extremely poor loot, crafting, money and skills system. Also for some reason I had a very hard time with the FPS aspect of this game. Seemed like the camera should be pulled back a little more this could just be because I'm spoiled by Skyrim where you could switch from 1st to 3rd person continuously. Oh well.
  94. Dec 6, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is in my opinion the BEST game released in the last 5 years! I am a true Far Cry fan, and is very satisfied with this new game. Everything from the previous games has been refined in this game.

I strongly recommend getting this game, its the best RPG shooter i have EVER played.
  95. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is great, the history and the graphics are fantastic, and crafting system here is very clever, the open world is amazing too, but ubisoft has to optimize this game to make it more light, this game can be more heavy than crysis 3 or the witcher 2 and this game doesn't have better graphics than those games, the multiplayer is not working well and the single player has many errors. So Ubisoft you have done a great work with this game, but you have to work even harder to put the game working at 110%. :)
    Even with all these errors (on the pc version) i continue to give this game a 9 because he deserves it.
  96. Jan 6, 2013
    For me this is game of the year for sure. After disappointing games like Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 i did not expected much from Far Cry 3. The bigger surprise was when i started playing this game. Really great sand box experience with great combat system and many side quests. Single player got also really interesting story with great characters and pretty good endings (both of em). And that´s not all, there is also a multiplayer with Co-op. Expand
  97. Dec 17, 2012
    This game was an absolute pleasure to play through; the gameplay was fluid and the skirmish style gameplay of the jungle/brush fighting brings innovation to standard cover based shooters. It makes a change fighting from bush to bush rather than from chest high sandbags to chest high concrete blocks. The only thing i will say is that the ending is a little abrupt. Judging by the map you feel that it's safe to assume that reaching the second island equates to the half way mark in the game, but you'd be wrong. I completed the game before even finding out whether the second island out posts were even capturable; the map hints suggest that they are as they are presented the same on the map as the capturable outposts on the first island, despite the fact that the ingame dialogue suggests you avoid them at all costs. Suddenly all notion of the sandbox leaves the game and all those cool toys you get unlocked and are happy to use only seem to come into play for 3-4 more missions even though they're nothing particularly out of this world; so all the neat gadget-attatchments you were happy to discover and utilise also, for these new weapons, barely enter the game at all; unless you unlock every radio tower before playing through the story (which is impractical).

Enjoy the first island while you can and play through at your own pace. Don't be OCD and capture every out post you can at the start as you'll rob youself of interesting "random encounters" like guerilla jungle fights (which also earn you money on the side if you help the rebels win).

The crafting is also implemented at a decent level of sophistication. Skyrim was renowned for its unnecasserily tedious power levelling of skill perks and the herb list was extensive, but this game consists of 3 types that produce combat, hunting and healing abilities, the different herbs for each type are only aesthetical. Making it more practical for the casual gamer to bother with. Crafting gear is a little more laborious, different gear (wallets, loot sacks, weapon holsters) requires different animal pelts which appear to be arbitrary (2 goat skins make a tier 3 weapon holster and are available in a tier 1 area whilst a tier 2 loot sack requires a tier 4 animal pelt), but does give a general sense of progression by stalling you from having deep money/loot reservoirs and all weapon slots a fifth of the way through the game.

Summary: The characters are interesting and unique, the narrative is relavent to first world activities if not a little predictable plot wise (afghanistan and fictional terrorist attacks on NY are so over rated). The guns offer actual noticable difference in play style and stealth is a legitimate option to even the happy gunners (there's nothing stopping you from stealth killing half the men at an outpost then spraying the others with machinegun fire from the sniper nest you just cleared). But as i said, once you hit the second island and do a couple errands you'll suddenly find yourself at the final mission thinking you still had to liberate the island and get to use your new fanciful gear only half of which you unlocked for free because you avoided radio towers on the second island blocked by restricted zones.

I completed the story, liberated the first island, unlocked all the radio towers and did all the *important side missions (hunting/assasinations/medical drop offs) in 12 hours of gameplay. *doing certain side missions unlocks features helpful in the main story arc, such as the final version of all craftable gear or unlocking skills from the skill tree. But there was probably a good 40% more to explore and do. The relics can be largely ignored. They don't unlock gear like in GTA, the radio towers do that. But you'll want to get the radio towers anyway so you're not running blind the entire game so unlocking free gear feels like more of a side affect of not wanting to get lost and being sensible enough to unlock visibility of the map.
  98. Jun 4, 2013
    Just finished the game. Wow. Amazing. I played with ziggy's mod, and that added immersion really helped. To me, all games have two things- immersion and gameplay. Gameplay makes up combat, level system, and repetition. Immersion makes up graphics, sound, actions, and storyline. Gameplay- 10/10. Immersion 9.5/10. The boss battles and plot could've been better, but don;t skip out on this game for pc! Expand
  99. Feb 20, 2013
    The game "itself" is nice, nice graphics, nice shooting, nice combat system.
    The "elimination" that let´s u to 1hko the enemies is cool. Also the possibility to use stealth and sniping for silent attacks instead of crazy shooting makes the game enjoyable...

So why a 6? well, cz the game is awesome... first 3-6 hours, depending on the time u recquire to understand the game just repeats
    itself once and again. The scenarios become quite familiar soon, cz in the end 90% of it is just random jungle. Missions and sidequest repeats themselves once and again, as said. So is fun for some shooting, but unless u´re qutie good at repeating the same tasks and re-play the same things over and over again, u may find urself tired of it.

So conclusion: is a good game, but u may feel tired and/or annoyed soon.
  100. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The way your character moves and reacts to things in the environment is incredibly intuitive fluid and fast; it adds a lot of immersion; as does the sound. I'll say also that this is the first game that has ever actually caught me off guard enough to actually scare me, the animations and sound effects for the animal attacks/mauling are awesome, I've never had so much fun getting tackled by a lion, mauled by a bear (they are faster than you), or pulled under by a crock and thrashed around as I merrily hopped off my jet-ski. Fun times! Off roading in a jeep is fun, hang-gliding is awesome, jet-ski's are like wave racer on crack, mobbing a supply drop down a mountain to the beach on a ATV is stupid fun, the lighting is also amazing... just play it. Expand

2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Jan 24, 2013