8.2

1. Mar 19, 2015
    F.E.A.R. is a horror game developed by Monolith Productions and published by Vivendi. The story is a supernatural that follows FEAR (First Encounter Assault Recon), a fictional special team force. The player assumes the role of F.E.A.R.'s Point Man, who possesses superhuman reflexes, and must uncover the secrets of a paranormal menace in the form of a little girl.
  2. sft
    Mar 15, 2015
    G.R.E.A.T.

G.R.E.A.T.

This was a replay for me, having first played FEAR some years ago. I had fond memories of the game and thought it time to revisit it. I’m glad I did. The game has a wonderfully spooky and tense atmosphere and outdoes many more recent titles in this respect (it still startled me on several occasions). The graphics are pretty good given the game’s age. It comes from the era when FPSs were commonly set in research facilities, abandoned factories, and office buildings, and this lack of diversity in the environments is one of the game’s weaknesses. As is the lack of humour -- there are no laughs here. But the game’s strengths lie in the atmosphere and in the combat. There is a palpable sense of apprehension as you sneak along the corridors under the flickering lights. The AI is crafty and the combat is always fun, especially when using the slo-mo, or bullet-time, ability, which is flawlessly implemented. If you like a good old-fashioned FPS with loads of atmosphere and plenty of exhilarating combat you can’t go far wrong with this classic.
  3. Feb 27, 2015
    2005 was a f*cking great year to gaming. due to resident evil 4 and the amazing god of war.
    but i couldn't forget this one. holy sh*t....
    the graphics are good. AI is one of the best iv'e ever seen. unique AI. the only game that i've seen who do give a **** about amazing AI ever since is the last of us. the combat. and shooting is amazing story is interesting. alma wade is ****
    but i couldn't forget this one. holy sh*t....

the graphics are good.
    the combat. and shooting is amazing
    story is interesting.
    alma wade is **** great and so interesting in the case. and also so damn scary...
    all the scares u get are insane.
    and everything almost in this game is awesome.
    and the slow motion is **** good. it helped me a lot.
  4. Dec 4, 2014
    8 Horas de mucha diversión. Lo bueno: mucha acción, interesante historia, el estilo de FPS recuerda mucho a Half-Life, Quake y toda la generación 1995-2005.

Teniendo en cuenta que tiene 10 años de antigüedad las gráficas siguen muy buenas y los efectos de iluminación llaman mucho la atención. Es entretenido, emocionante y tiene algunas escenas de terror, el juego da sustos pero más

Es entretenido, emocionante y tiene algunas escenas de terror, el juego da sustos pero más acción. La historia es interesante.

Lo malo: no es para jugar más de 1 o 2 horas al día, los escenarios y los enemigos son muy repetitivos, jugar varios niveles (Intervalos) de seguido es repetir una y otra vez la misma temática. Pero para los que les gusta la rejugabilidad el juego resultará perfecto, se pueden hacer muchos speedruns con distintas armas.

Vale cada uno de los 3 dolares que cuesta.
  5. Nov 27, 2014
    So this game attempts to copy games like Doom 3 and call of duty which both have gripping campaigns and can both be replayed 10000s of times. This game makes me want to cry because its so bad.
    Btw whoever made this game is a wanker
  6. Sep 14, 2014
    Hands down one of the best FPS games ever made. Why people call it a horror FPS is beyond me though. I did not find the game frightening at all aside from a couple jump scares. Best gun play and attention to detail. Bullets rip out chunks of dry wall and bullets will spark off certain materials. This is all magnified by the slow mo ability. The AI is easily some of the best in an FPSHands down one of the best FPS games ever made. Why people call it a horror FPS is beyond me though. I did not find the game frightening at all aside from a couple jump scares. Best gun play and attention to detail. Bullets rip out chunks of dry wall and bullets will spark off certain materials. This is all magnified by the slow mo ability. The AI is easily some of the best in an FPS ever. They will flank you, grenade your position if you stay in one place for too long, and lean around cover just like you can. Enemy variety is limited but they are tough. You have standard troopers, big armored suits, and even small mechs that are quite deadly. Your melee attacks are also very powerful and you can also execute a jump kick and a slide kick. The story isn't bad and you learn about it through scripted events, voice mail messages, and laptops littered throughout levels.

A couple things I didn't care for. This is basically a corridor shooter with a more open or varied area from time to time. Environments mainly consist of industrial areas, office parks, and secret underground labs. The weapon variety is standard fare until about half way through the game when you start finding way more interesting weapons like the rail gun, the autocannon, and the multirocket launcher. It's a short game, but it's worth another playthrough or two if you like experiencing different difficulties.
  7. Sep 12, 2014
    Worth playing at its time a lot of reused environments get old, but the gore and kill satisfaction is still one of the best to date which is sad for how old it is.

Worth $5
  8. Sep 5, 2014
    I played the game several times. Started playing again yesterday.. and I could not stop for 2 solid hours! One of the best games I have played. Dark, atmospheric, creepy, solid gameplay mechanics and still good looking. I care for the story, hell of a horrorshooter. Hard to find a game that is on par (Half Life Series comes to mind, nothing else).
  9. Aug 16, 2014
    Great atmosphere consist of crisp yet gloomy image haunting audio and devoted level design.

I like the semi-realistic weapon design, its intuitive control and the intense firefight scenes with some sharp difficulty curves but also very rewarding.

Most interesting story compared to other FPS, make me actually feel care for the characters.
  10. Jul 8, 2014
    A legend in FPS genre.
    A pure clasic.
    In my personal top list of best FPS games is on the same stage with Half-life 2 and Far Cry 1. Pros: +solid gameplay. Bullets feel like they do actual damage. Weapons have recoill. Vary good implementation of slow motion. +legendary A.I +awesome graphics. Looks good even by today standards +sound. Sound of weapons and most important, the
    A legend in FPS genre.
    A pure clasic.

Pros:
    +legendary A.I
    +awesome graphics. Looks good even by today standards
    +sound. Sound of weapons and most important, the soundtrack is EPIC !
    +Storyline. EPIC ending !

Cons:
    -some say the levels are repetitive. Personal I never felt like this. There are many levels out of bussines building.
    -maybe not so horror. A good thing for me doh' :)

10/10. A must play !
  11. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese a ser un correcalles y muy lineal, es uno de los videojuegos que mejor usan las estructuras sonoras para generar tensión, además de varios sustos muy en la línea del cine de terror japonés. Tal vez no es buena compra pero sí vale la pena echarle un vistazo si lo tiene un amig@.
  12. May 6, 2014
    IMO F.E.A.R. is a very good game, with a great climate and the varied pace of the action. Particularly noteworthy AI opponents and interesting storyline. The downside of the game is to monotony of some levels.
  13. Apr 22, 2014
    The problem with this game in general is that the combat is in such close proximity to the horror elements without ever blurring the lines. It keeps them separate, so when the horror stuff starts you never feel in danger (because theres no combat), and when theres combat you never feel scared (because theres no girl with psychic powers after you).
    It's somewhat jarring to go from combat
    It's somewhat jarring to go from combat to scary, especially with the lack of tension build up... when you encounter the horror aspects while still in a combat mindset, it underwhelms the experience tenfold.

Horror: 6/10

Story: while it tells the story well through the use of laptops and radio communication, in the end it feels like you haven't learned anything truly interesting. And it leaves quite a few questions unanswered. I felt like there could have been more to it all.

Story: 5/10
    Characters: 3/10

But now the good stuff:

AI- the most intelligent AI I've ever encountered, enemies will fire by peeking around corners, circling around to get you, cover fire at you while the other guy moves in closer... throw grenades to flush you out and at the same time never ceasing to give up. They chat to each other like real soldiers would.

Combat- it's dam fun to see sparks fly off bullet holes, and pieces of walls crumble, and dust clouds to build up after enough gun fire.
    You take on many squads and even some heavy armor guys with better weaponry. You fire with dual pistols & a spikegun. It makes it easy to switch between which grenade you want and throw it without having to equip it. However there are no real "bosses" which means the combat never truly challenges what you've learned.

Level Design- There are some really nice areas like the water purification plant, warehouse areas and then offices, and one sewer part. But then things stay pretty much the same in terms of variety going through samey areas till the end where we get some labs. More outdoors!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Audio: 8/10
    Atmosphere: 7/10
  14. Mar 15, 2014
    A great action game with lackluster horror themes. IF you're looking for a good horror game, don't bother with FEAR. FEAR gives you a decently long and solid shooter experience. Unfortunately it's hampered by repetitive levels and enemies, but that doesn't create too much of a problem. The game itself is still well worth checking out for shooter fans.
  15. Mar 2, 2014
    It's 60% action and 40% terror: a classic! F.E.A.R 2 it's 60% terror and 40% action, a classic too! F.E.A.R 3 it's 100% action and 100% disapointment, but it's worth playing...
  16. Feb 20, 2014
    Amazing game that holds up great over time. The graphics show their age a bit but the overall feel of the game remains. The dark environments, glimpses into the underlying plot and overall suspense keeps you on edge and eager for more. The levels get a bit repetitive but the variety of weapons and challenges helps keep the pace flowing. The horror/suspense bits are well thought out andAmazing game that holds up great over time. The graphics show their age a bit but the overall feel of the game remains. The dark environments, glimpses into the underlying plot and overall suspense keeps you on edge and eager for more. The levels get a bit repetitive but the variety of weapons and challenges helps keep the pace flowing. The horror/suspense bits are well thought out and although they dont often scare, they constantly surprise. They slowdown power is always fun to use and produces some very entertaining results (game physics get a little weird in slow-mo). Overall great experience that I would recommend to almost anybody. Expand
  17. Feb 11, 2014
    Playing it, playing it again. and again. and again....
    Everything fits perfectly into a cake of delightful gunplay
    awesome graphics (still!)! breathtaking slowmo-effects! an enemy ai that is still unchallenged up to date! these damn delicoius particle-effects! the room for movement! Every fight can differ! Ah yeah. And there are the "scary" parts. In my honest opinion they arent
    Playing it, playing it again. and again. and again....
    Everything fits perfectly into a cake of delightful gunplay
    awesome graphics (still!)!
    breathtaking slowmo-effects!
    an enemy ai that is still unchallenged up to date!
    these damn delicoius particle-effects!
    the room for movement! Every fight can differ!

Ah yeah. And there are the "scary" parts. In my honest opinion they arent really that scary, cheap jumpcsares aren't shoved permanently in your face and... in my opinion the gunfights are STILL the major pulsside that keep this game still on top of my list. Even this day and age!

Unmatched!
    Forget the casualized "Fear2" and the even worse cash-in and dumbed down "F3AR"!
    Play this and feel with your sweaty hands why this game is unmatched in its gunplay and slow-mo-feeling!
  18. Dec 22, 2013
    One of the few shooter games that has the cool slow motion. Good story. They really did a good job when they put this game together. It is like one of those old movies that you just wont to keep coming back too & watch over & over.
  19. Dec 22, 2013
    F.E.A.R. is a blast to play. Unlike many first-person shooters, your bullets feel like they do actual damage and you can feel the shredding of your enemies before you. Your quick reflex (slow-mo) ability and varying melee attacks add a hint of John Woo flavoring to the mix. Also, being a game that uses the word "fear" as an acronym(First Espionage Assault Recon), it has a bit of horrorF.E.A.R. is a blast to play. Unlike many first-person shooters, your bullets feel like they do actual damage and you can feel the shredding of your enemies before you. Your quick reflex (slow-mo) ability and varying melee attacks add a hint of John Woo flavoring to the mix. Also, being a game that uses the word "fear" as an acronym(First Espionage Assault Recon), it has a bit of horror in it and acts as an accessible game for people looking to dip their toes in the horror genre of gaming but don't feel they're quite ready for the more hardcore panic attack-inducing games out there. The only big issue I had with F.E.A.R. was how disappointingly short it is. I was expecting at least ten hours of great gameplay, but instead, I burned through the game in six or seven hours. While the game itself is great, the length keeps it from scoring higher in my book. All in all, F.E.A.R. is a great game even if it is a little short. Expand
  20. Dec 11, 2013
    A great game for its time. The visuals are excellent as is the sound design, just going into slow-mo and seeing bullets whiz by is fantastic. The story isn't anything outstanding, but it's solid and it works. Gunplay is fairly conventional, but enhanced with the addition of slow-mo. One thing that really stands out in this game though is the AI. It is simply excellent, no other shooterA great game for its time. The visuals are excellent as is the sound design, just going into slow-mo and seeing bullets whiz by is fantastic. The story isn't anything outstanding, but it's solid and it works. Gunplay is fairly conventional, but enhanced with the addition of slow-mo. One thing that really stands out in this game though is the AI. It is simply excellent, no other shooter I've played has surpassed it, even shooters released years after it's release. It means enemies feel like more than just cardboard characters that just hide behind cover and shoot every now and then. Expect to be flushed out, ambushed and flanked if you don't pay attention. Perhaps the game is a bit repetitive in its gameplay and level design, though it does try to spruce it up a bit with new weapons and new enemies. Scares could've been better as well. Sometimes it feels as if jumpscares are just shoved down your throat, and I would've appreciated some buildup of tension in some levels before the actual scare, it would've created a more intimidating atmosphere. Fighting assassins was truly intense though. Overall, a game definitely worth consideration for FPS and horror fans. Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2013
    One of the best games out there in the FPS genre. It's a fast-action game that will make you look at every corner, waiting to be ambushed by enemies. The story is fantastic, the first game of this epic trilogy that is F.E.A.R.
  22. Nov 22, 2013
    I think the game is awesome, I had it when it first came out and just repurchased it. It still has great graphics and a good storyline. And it will make you jump a few times too.
  23. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

24. QOO
    Nov 16, 2013
    If Max Payne and Doom had a baby, this would be the game. This game has excellent gunplay, and some of the best A.I I've ever seen. F.E.A.R is excellent all the way through, and is injected with some bullet time to help you keep going. Horror-wise, it isn't that scary. It's basically jumpscare after jumpscare, and it can sometimes be effective, but it usually isn't. Buy it for theIf Max Payne and Doom had a baby, this would be the game. This game has excellent gunplay, and some of the best A.I I've ever seen. F.E.A.R is excellent all the way through, and is injected with some bullet time to help you keep going. Horror-wise, it isn't that scary. It's basically jumpscare after jumpscare, and it can sometimes be effective, but it usually isn't. Buy it for the shooting. If I could give this game more than 10, I would. Expand
  25. Nov 13, 2013
    F.E.A.R. it's a beautiful horror games, and for me one of the best of the history, i love FPS and horror, F.E.A.R. is a mixture perfectly made, with a story and a background story more than interesting, if you have never play it, PLAY IT it's a must play
  26. Nov 11, 2013
    It's got insanely good gunplay and particle effects, but also very repetitive, square level design, and pacing that only really works for short bursts, otherwise it becomes rather tedious. The AI is nothing special, but I've mostly played Halo and Half life games in FPS terms, so maybe I'm just used to smarter foes. The plot is also pretty sh*t but who really cares. It's a 7.5 for me butIt's got insanely good gunplay and particle effects, but also very repetitive, square level design, and pacing that only really works for short bursts, otherwise it becomes rather tedious. The AI is nothing special, but I've mostly played Halo and Half life games in FPS terms, so maybe I'm just used to smarter foes. The plot is also pretty sh*t but who really cares. It's a 7.5 for me but Metacritic only allows 1 to 10 ranking so I just flipped a coin and gave it a 7. Expand
  27. Nov 4, 2013
    This destroyed my trousers when it first came out. The bullet time "superpower" was a great addition and the story is great. Fantastic shooter. Grab it.
  28. Oct 22, 2013
    Have the retail version since 2005. It is a very good shooter. With some of the best A.I and gameplay. Engine feels very solid. Visuals were also breathtaking, It literally felt like firing from an actual gun, when sparks and dust came out. I know it is supposed to be an corridor shooter and close combat action game but the environments lacked of variation. 8.5/10
  29. Aug 31, 2013
    Cool game from the heyday of slo-mo and "HDR lighting". Gameplay is a tad boring at times, since there's only like less then 5 types of enemies. Story is a bit crude and cruel, but then it's a horror game. Good graphics and fun enemy AI probably the best use of slo-mo to day (and for a long time to come with the fad falling out of favor with the devs and users alike years ago).
  30. Aug 30, 2013
    F.E.A.R. definitely takes it place up there with all the other shooter classics (Half-Life 2, Bioshock, System Shock 2, etc.). The action is smooth and fun, and the story is phenomenal. It's not too scary, but I don't think it was meant to be that scary. In conclusion F.E.A.R. is hands down one of the best FPS experiences you can get on PC.
  31. Aug 30, 2013
    If you need some action, just play F.E.A.R. Game is fantastic. Atmosphere, good AI, soundtrack, graphic and many more. That's why you should play this game. It's in my TOP 5 shooter games and I don't see any new game which can beat F.E.A.R. and Alma Wade
  32. Jul 27, 2013
    F.E.A.R. Is an all around good game, with an intriguing plot full of twists turns that wind your mind up and leave you wondering, almost even disturbed.

The game does not abuse "Jump Scare tactics" as many other games of the genre do, and instead uses it when it can truly leave an impact on you. F.E.A.R. has some unique game play, which is pretty good for the time of the games

F.E.A.R. has some unique game play, which is pretty good for the time of the games release, featuring a "Slow-mo system" but overall feels very under-polished, enemies are able to dominate you with ease at times only because you are not given a form of true cover, it can leave you hanging at times, as sometimes the flee or fight thing can be very one sided (You are pushed into the danger head on)
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    I can't actually think of any flaws for this game, besides the graphics and boring environments, but this is 2013. I don't expect an 8-year-old game to retroactively gain amazing graphics. It's definitely scary sometimes, and the level design is AMAZING. The gameplay is great and has the best AI I've ever seen in a shooter. The environments are extremely samey, as well. Overall, a greatI can't actually think of any flaws for this game, besides the graphics and boring environments, but this is 2013. I don't expect an 8-year-old game to retroactively gain amazing graphics. It's definitely scary sometimes, and the level design is AMAZING. The gameplay is great and has the best AI I've ever seen in a shooter. The environments are extremely samey, as well. Overall, a great game, one of the best FPSs of all time. Expand
  34. May 15, 2013
    Fear Is so bland,boring and not vary scary. 90% of the scares are just cheap and lazy jump scares and the gameplay is bland and boring. i think the slow motion thing was supposed to be the thing that separates itself from the fps pack but it gets old quickly and dosent improve the overall quality of the gameplay. overall its a vary mediocre fps with a decent story and atmosphere
  35. Feb 12, 2013
    the story involves you, a recent recruit in a military crew. you at first investigate strange things happening to your crew members. the story then gets more in depth later on. the gameplay controls are great for 1st person shooters. its a horror game and a shooter and it did an outstanding job. the way they use sound was great, and the visual effects with the dark shadows and shading madethe story involves you, a recent recruit in a military crew. you at first investigate strange things happening to your crew members. the story then gets more in depth later on. the gameplay controls are great for 1st person shooters. its a horror game and a shooter and it did an outstanding job. the way they use sound was great, and the visual effects with the dark shadows and shading made it a fun experience. one of the better horror first person shooters to be released in some time. i believe the second one is really better in terms of gameplay. but this one had lots more scary moments. Expand
  36. Jan 23, 2013
    Fear is a great one time play-through game. The suspense during missions is very high and the sounds and animations keep the player on the edge of their seat. The weapons are all very different and useful, The AI enemy is about the most enjoyable to play against, as in they were difficult enough in which any one guy could take you out if you were not paying attention. The layout of theFear is a great one time play-through game. The suspense during missions is very high and the sounds and animations keep the player on the edge of their seat. The weapons are all very different and useful, The AI enemy is about the most enjoyable to play against, as in they were difficult enough in which any one guy could take you out if you were not paying attention. The layout of the maps are perfect for this type of game, old hotels, factories, etc. The game overall is a rush, however, by the last couple of missions, I was honestly burnt out; I couldn't wait to finish. Overall, great FPS shooter, and great one-time play. Oh and the plot is well done also. Expand
  37. Jan 4, 2013
    Never had a chance to play it, but always heard of it. Finally got it on discount and installed right away, and few hours later I was able to play it. The result...well it was a good game but it definitely needed some variety. And I do mean it. F.E.A.R is basically a story driven shooter with some horror elements that actually do work at times and actually scares you enough to keep goingNever had a chance to play it, but always heard of it. Finally got it on discount and installed right away, and few hours later I was able to play it. The result...well it was a good game but it definitely needed some variety. And I do mean it. F.E.A.R is basically a story driven shooter with some horror elements that actually do work at times and actually scares you enough to keep going and see what's going on. With that said, there's just not enough variety in the action, weapons, levels and also enemies. For starters, the game gives you the possibility to slow time in order to, like the game says, "to pass through challenging parts", which is definitely a great addition, but just overused like crazy because, in short, you'll never, ever, ever, ever engage the enemies without it: the enemies are too strong. I have played at normal but yet the enemies, especially if it's crowded, they can easily eliminate you, also thanks to their amazing AI, which is extremely precise and will help you give a challenge. Just too bad that with the slowmo, the game is a joke and even a player like me who really fails at shooters was able to finish it without dying that much. Also, the weapons in game are too few. You can use only 3 weapons at a time and...this isn't a huge limit because the weapons in game are VERY few, and only 3 types of grenades. On top of that, a lot of weapons don't have ammunition right away so you'll end up either switching for a more common weapon, or just use one for the entire game. The nice thing here however is that you can save your medikits and that really helps a LOT, since you can have up to 10 medikits, although they are rather common. Also you will be able to upgrade your health and focus using some enhancers, which they are scattered all over the level, in which gives you a decent reason to explore properly. Speaking of levels, the game is...very limited as well. Even though the game is very linear, the problem is that you will hardly interact with the enviroment: you cannot move crates, you cannot move anything, you can't even jump over some windows if the game doesn't plan to, but this isn't a very old game and for that reason I'd expect a little more interaction (and variety). Ah, the flashlight is very weak: should light a lot more, and shouldn't have a charge, since that 90% of the game is set in the dark. And for last, but not the least (since you literally get it at the start), the enemies....There is literally one enemy in the entire game (the so called "Replica Soldiers"), and sometimes the enemy will throw to you other variation of those, and sometimes you get "normal" policemen. There is also another type of soldier, a super fast one, the heavy armor ones, mecha-drivers, and another type at the end of the game...and that's it. I probably didn't forget others, but even if I did the enemies are just too few! They are great in actions, but In the end I get too tired of fighting the same soldier cloned to death. On the other hand...I liked the story. It pratically disappears during the middle act, but the start and the end, especially the end, it's great and makes the effort all worth it. There aren't alot of twists and such in the end, but those few twists are very good, but doesn't really make the game worth alone. But it's still a good game to boot though: the setting is rather tense and the game does scare you at times with some well thought scares; the fightings, even if not varied, is fun and gives a good challenge, especially since everyone enjoys to be a super soldier once in a while. I guess the main flaw here is the lack of variety, but if you can pass it, you'll get a good shooter in your hands. Not great, just good. Expand
  38. Jan 3, 2013
    This is how scary and high octane action game should look like. And for those saying the story is non-existent or too linear, I guess you weren't paying much of an attention to all those phone messages and research from laptops. 9/10
  39. Jan 3, 2013
    A fantastic twist on the horror genre with amazing (for their time) graphics, enemy AI that work together in groups against you, a story that you feel compelled to piece together through exploration, and explosive combat with amazing sound design and environmental decay. Starts off great, lulls in the middle for a while going through the normal FPS motions and then pulls out all the stopsA fantastic twist on the horror genre with amazing (for their time) graphics, enemy AI that work together in groups against you, a story that you feel compelled to piece together through exploration, and explosive combat with amazing sound design and environmental decay. Starts off great, lulls in the middle for a while going through the normal FPS motions and then pulls out all the stops for the last few levels with a finale to remember. Highly recommended for FPS and horror fans alike; just don't go into this expecting a first person Resident Evil because it's no "survival horror." Expand
  40. Dec 27, 2012
    F.E.A.R is a pretty fun game but it has not aged well at all in my opinion, don't get me wrong the graphics are fine but the levels are too repetitive and so are the enemies that you see. I actually found it hard to sit down for a long period of time to play it, I was never really interested, the lack of story does not help. That being said the last hour of the game actually freaked me outF.E.A.R is a pretty fun game but it has not aged well at all in my opinion, don't get me wrong the graphics are fine but the levels are too repetitive and so are the enemies that you see. I actually found it hard to sit down for a long period of time to play it, I was never really interested, the lack of story does not help. That being said the last hour of the game actually freaked me out and made me want to check the second one out to see what it's all about. If you want to get involved in the series to try the new games go ahead and play this, if not it really is not worth your time. Expand
  41. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is the Half-Life of the Horror shooters genre. Who says that the story is bad clearly hasn't understood it, because it's a deep, mature, disturbing and dramatic story, talking of experiments on human beings which return to avenge their past. Also, this is one of the few games that made jump more than one time. You will feel scared a lot of times. Also, the enemies are strong andThis game is the Half-Life of the Horror shooters genre. Who says that the story is bad clearly hasn't understood it, because it's a deep, mature, disturbing and dramatic story, talking of experiments on human beings which return to avenge their past. Also, this is one of the few games that made jump more than one time. You will feel scared a lot of times. Also, the enemies are strong and with a great AI... the won't go down easyly. The arsenal is not very large, but is various, starting with normal guns and finishing with sci-fi guns like plasma cannons. All guns are funny to use. This game features also a bullet-time mode ("Slow-Mo") that you can active to make the firefights easier... you'll really need it. This is ine of the best first person shooter that I ever played... at least one of the scarier and with the best story. Recommended. Highly recommended. Expand
  42. Dec 14, 2012
    This game is fantastic now, even ,more so for it's time back in the day. If you havent played it yet, it cant hurt to give it a whirl! The graphics are tolerable and the ambient noises and sound effects in general, plus very solid gunplay and smart AI (their tactics surprised me) are fantastic. Don't regret a thing, in 2012.
  43. Nov 23, 2012
    F.E.A.R as a FPS was solid but somewhat dated. The AI was quite good (I played on hard) with enemies that would routinely flank you. The level design was somewhat drab and repetitive and the weaponry was fairly cliched FPS fare. The combat centers heavily on the use of bullet time- which was innovative back in
  44. Nov 13, 2012
    The story line nearly doesn't exist- it isn't told in any kind of logical fashion, and it makes no sense. The graphics are great, and the ability to slow time is useful at first, but eventually you develop a dependence upon it that becomes a crutch. Enemies do so much damage that you can't risk going into battle without it, but then it makes the game too easy. The weapons are very limited-The story line nearly doesn't exist- it isn't told in any kind of logical fashion, and it makes no sense. The graphics are great, and the ability to slow time is useful at first, but eventually you develop a dependence upon it that becomes a crutch. Enemies do so much damage that you can't risk going into battle without it, but then it makes the game too easy. The weapons are very limited- you either have a machine gun, a rifle, or dual pistols. There are no other legitimate options. The game is scary at first, but after about the third level, the whole shock factor is depleted. I would not recommend this game to anyone- even if you can buy it cheap, you're better off re-playing any of the other FPS's you have in your library. Play ANY one of them. Expand
  45. Sep 28, 2012
    In 05 graphics and Ai where at top,also slow motion is a good feature. However, Alma with the progress inspires less and less fear,always using the classic "jump scene".
  46. Sep 26, 2012
    Great psychological horror mixed in with exciting action sequences. The story is pretty compelling too. Although I can't give it a 10 because while the graphics/design are nice, it does seem like you're playing one level for most of the game.
  47. Aug 9, 2012
    A classic video game that succeeds at giving you a dead, tense feeling inside. The game delivers exactly what it's supposed to, giving a repetitive, tedious gameplay experience that dives deep into your mind, invading all of your senses while making you drown in the dread of the story. Each skirmish is brought out in a fearful manor, making you watch out intensely each time you go into aA classic video game that succeeds at giving you a dead, tense feeling inside. The game delivers exactly what it's supposed to, giving a repetitive, tedious gameplay experience that dives deep into your mind, invading all of your senses while making you drown in the dread of the story. Each skirmish is brought out in a fearful manor, making you watch out intensely each time you go into a door.......... This game knows how to control you......... Buy this game today. Expand
  48. Jul 31, 2012
    F.E.A.R is one of the best FPS's in years. The gunplay is what sells the game plus its generous length. The graphics and story are not though. Its scares fall flat on its face all the time, however the enemy AI are stupidly smart which give the game a great challenge. A great FPS that all shooter fans should play.
  49. Jul 18, 2012
    F.E.A.R. still holds pretty well even today. For a seven-year old game that isn't a small achievement. The core of the game-the gunfights, are great thanks to well-paced slow-mo, excellent animations and furthermore enemies, who actually provide some real challenge as they are actually fighting to WIN the battle and not to reduce your health bar. All because of probably the best combat AIF.E.A.R. still holds pretty well even today. For a seven-year old game that isn't a small achievement. The core of the game-the gunfights, are great thanks to well-paced slow-mo, excellent animations and furthermore enemies, who actually provide some real challenge as they are actually fighting to WIN the battle and not to reduce your health bar. All because of probably the best combat AI seen in FPS. Unfortunately, the level design is too ascetic, too bland and that's probably the biggest problem the game has along with being somewhat repetitive. I closed my eyes to all of these, but I can understand those, who can't. Actually, It's not hard to guess why developers deliberately went with that kind of level design . Cinematic gunfights are far better suited to offices, labs, warehouses, other closed urban environments and not large open areas, like per say, fields as the game would have lost it's cinematic flare it's famous for. As for other aspects, graphics were cutting edge for their time, while today they aren't particularly impressive, except for model animations and effects. There is satisfying level of detail, but the color palette is too poor, too grey. The story starts well, but becomes predictable in the end, tries to be Japanese-scare-you-with-a little-girl-horror type(which doesn't really work), while it could have been much more thanks detailed backstory. The game didn't scare me as much as it aroused interest to explore the game's universe. It so sad, that such promising series degenerated into another modern Call of Duty like shooter with the release of mediocre sequel and terrible third game. I really hope, Monolith (or any talented studio for that matter) will revive the series. It deserves better than this. Expand
  50. Jun 12, 2012
    GREATEST. GAME. EVER. Nothing more to say. Friggin scary, epic graphics at that time, and awesome dialogue. Too bad Fear2 didn't even reached F.E.A.R to the socks

GG
  51. Jun 4, 2012
    A slow, morbid and clever storyline, tense and nervous firefights, a very good balance among weapons, amazing music and sounds, the smartest AI you can find in a FPS. The action part is perfect, the horror part is perfect and the balance between both is perfect. A masterpiece.
  52. Mar 19, 2012
    I recently revisited F.E.A.R. for the first time in five years, and to say it's aged well would be a huge understatement. F.E.A.R. is truly creepy - there's very little of the unexpected scares (monsters jumping out at you etc.) that most horror games are filled with, and instead the game relies on the slow buildup of an incredibly tense atmosphere through cutaway flashes and gruesomeI recently revisited F.E.A.R. for the first time in five years, and to say it's aged well would be a huge understatement. F.E.A.R. is truly creepy - there's very little of the unexpected scares (monsters jumping out at you etc.) that most horror games are filled with, and instead the game relies on the slow buildup of an incredibly tense atmosphere through cutaway flashes and gruesome visuals.
    All the weapons (especially the combat shotgun) feel powerful and really pack a punch. Unlike most FPS games I found myself reguarly switching between different guns, rather than sticking to the same three the whole game. The slomo bullet-time feature, despite being done before, was a great addition and added to the tactical gameplay. Using it to blast off your enemies limbs and heads never got old. The AI is really impressive, with soldiers really working together to outflank you or flush you out of cover with grenades. It's true that the levels are somewhat repetitive, but I like how Monolith have payed homage to classic shooters like DOOM and Half-Life in their semi-linear interior layouts; offering the choice to follow the main hallways and storm through the levels, or take the time to explore and be rewarded with medkits, ammo and intriguing voicemail. F.E.A.R. is a huge achievement for Monolith, and despite the lacklustre sequels it will long be known as one of their greatest triumphs.
  53. Feb 8, 2012
    Hands down, best horror game ever. And yes, I have played Amnesia. The incredible A.I, buckets full of blood, paranormal events and that creepy feeling you get when you walk around a corner .. hands down best horror game ever and best game in the F.E.A.R. series. But those robots and automatic defense systems are poor and that's why this is not rated a ten. Get this game, now!
  54. Dec 23, 2011
    Must-have for people who like horror kind of stuff because it is the scariest game I ever did play. Very fun indeed and there is only one problem; I'm gonna have nightmares for weeks.
  55. Dec 22, 2011
    I played all F.E.A.R. games and it really scary even now. I remember that i first played it when i was in middle school, and it was sooooooo horrific and scary!! The atmosphere in this game is awesome, which created a very scary environment. Some people might complain about the graphic but this game is actually a 2005 game, so what kind of graphic are you expecting? Compare to some otherI played all F.E.A.R. games and it really scary even now. I remember that i first played it when i was in middle school, and it was sooooooo horrific and scary!! The atmosphere in this game is awesome, which created a very scary environment. Some people might complain about the graphic but this game is actually a 2005 game, so what kind of graphic are you expecting? Compare to some other game that came out in the same year, F.E.A.R. is actually not bad!! But one thing sad is the multiplayer no longer available... Expand
  56. Dec 20, 2011
    To be very honest, I was quite disappointed. I was actually really hoping to like this game, and I did enjoy it a lot in the first couple of hours or so. But after that I realised that there was nothing more to this game but mindless repetitive shooting. Let me explain. First the good bits. F.E.A.R. has some distinct strength, no doubt. It has very nice and realistic use of lighting andTo be very honest, I was quite disappointed. I was actually really hoping to like this game, and I did enjoy it a lot in the first couple of hours or so. But after that I realised that there was nothing more to this game but mindless repetitive shooting. Let me explain. First the good bits. F.E.A.R. has some distinct strength, no doubt. It has very nice and realistic use of lighting and shadows, and also a very clever enemy AI, so enemies actually use teamwork and take cover instead of just running at you. The ability to go into bullet time (slow motion) is also very nice, but that ability is pretty much the leverage point of the entire game. You aren't encouraged to use it, you are forced to use it. If you don't, you die too easily. This makes every single gunfight a mindlessly slow drudgery. You are also given cool melee attacks, but you can be sure you won't use them past the first level, because you almost never get a chance to get that close to the enemy. Action in general - as I said, it's fun for the first couple of hours, but then you realise that every single gunfight is virtually the same as the hundred you've had before. The same types of enemies, the same types of arenas, the same types of guns. Nothing changes! This is boring! And speaking of boring... the levels. I have played more than half of the game, which is quite a number of hours, and I've only encountered 3 types of areas throughout - sewers, warehouses and offices. That's it. It's the same kind of areas repeating themselves all the time. And there are even several parts of the game where you walk corridor after corridor with nothing happening whatsoever. No enemies and no suspense, just corridors. That heavily detracts from the pace of the game. As for the horror element. Well, it sort of works at first, but after first few levels you realise that none of those "scares" actually have any effect on you. They are just images. In games like Doom 3 for example, things that jump at you out of nowhere are actual monsters that can KILL you. In F.E.A.R. nothing that jumps at you can affect you in any bad way. It's totally harmless, so why get scared about it? By all means, F.E.A.R. is a well-made game, I have not encountered any bugs and such, but it's not entertaining at all. It doesn't have interesting puzzles, no story to encourage you to play on. It's just a repetitive shoot em up. Expand
  57. Dec 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. F.E.A.R. (besides it's obnoxious title) isn't bad. In fact I'd say it's quite good. But I'm only saying that because I paid $5 for it, which is what I feel is all it's worth. It's not a very long game, and, due to the extremely muddled and stock story, not a very memorable one either.

You are Some Guy on an elite task force sent in to go investigate Some Thing. But then things go wrong for some reason and you have to kill That Other Guy. I literally had no idea what was going on from moment to moment in the game. "Go kill him", "go find that"...nothing seemed to matter. There's no way to fail unless you get killed against the intelligent, yet still pretty stupid AI. The story is built around a mysterious corporation and their relation to a "Project Origin" (I only remember the name because it's in the title of the sequel), which (SPOILER...sort of) at you'll guess early on is some kind of super-soldier program gone wrong. Sound familiar? It should if you've watched television, seen an action film, or played a video game since the 90s. It's a very common plot, and it gets used in a lot of refreshing, original ways. F.E.A.R. is not one of those ways. The big twist is (ANOTHER SPOILER...sort of) that you were part of the program, and the game reveals that its failure to provide any background or third dimension to your character was completely intentional! Except that playing as a stock Spec. Ops. soldier is about as exciting as killing hordes of them for hours. And if that does sound exciting to you, well, then you'll probably actually enjoy F.E.A.R.

The game has somethings going for it. The slow-mo feature, though a bit overused in shooters at this point, makes for some creative and eye-pleasing battle situations, especially with some unique weapons you pick up later in the game. There were points in the game where I generally was scared due to the great lighting and sound design. And above all, for all its simplicity, F.E.A.R. is pretty damn fun...for the first few hours. The game's biggest fault is the repetitive, uninspired level designs, missions, and enemies. With such little variety in gameplay, things get very boring after the first act.

On top of all this is a bigger matter that bugged me throughout the game. Everything F.E.A.R. does right, Half-Life did better. In 1998. Simplified guns with satisfying shooting mechanics? Half-Life did it. A mysterious antagonist that taunts you, but you can never quite reach? Half-Life did it. Camouflaged cyber-ninjas? Half-Life did it. In fact about the only thing F.E.A.R. has over Half-Life is slow motion and better graphics. The game frequently reminds you that there are "multiple solutions" to situations on each level, but they're aren't. The barely-there stealth elements of F.E.A.R. (Christ that's annoying to type) never quite come through, forcing you to go in guns-a-blazing to every room full of nonchalant baddies you come across. And that's a shame because a gameplay mechanic like that would have really set F.E.A.R. apart from other shooters. Instead it's just another one on top of the pile.

PROS: Cool weapons, slow motion, near invincibility.

CONS: Muddled story. You've played this game before. Repetitive gameplay.

VERDICT: For $5, it's worth picking up. Whether it's worth your time to play through another FPS you'll hardly remember afterwards is up to you.
  58. Nov 28, 2011
    I picked up F.E.A.R cheap on Steam, as you do, expecting an engaging and enjoyable horror shooter. What I got was something different entirely. After the second level it becomes a drag of just more of the same. Bland, grey rooms, leading into bland, grey rooms. Hey, if you were lucky you might get one with a blood splatter in it, but that was the extent of it. The graphics were nothingI picked up F.E.A.R cheap on Steam, as you do, expecting an engaging and enjoyable horror shooter. What I got was something different entirely. After the second level it becomes a drag of just more of the same. Bland, grey rooms, leading into bland, grey rooms. Hey, if you were lucky you might get one with a blood splatter in it, but that was the extent of it. The graphics were nothing special, even running on the highest setting and the gameplay just awful. It eventually became and endless cycle of 'slow-mo on - shoot the crap out of everything - slow-mo off.' Rinse and repeat. A horror experience absent of horror or atmosphere, and this is coming from someone who can barely sit through a horror flick. A thoughtless ending was the climax of a story desperately crying out for some more detail and attention. Save your money, seriously. Expand
  59. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is more like a John Woo film with the Grudge thrown in. It is without a doubt one of the funnest fps games I have ever played, probably because the enemy AI is the best I have ever played against, even 6 years later. The story is also interesting, and there are a few great scares, but it DOES get repetitive around the middle levels.
  60. Nov 19, 2011
    In 2005 when this came out, it blew away every game in terms of graphics realism, oustanding enemy ai, and solid care gameplay action. It was sometimes repetitive in it's corridor shooter focus, but its strong points made up for it for the most part.
  61. Nov 8, 2011
    "F.E.A.R" is a good solid game. But is it a horror shooter? No, it's just a solid FPS shooter with ridiculously smart AI. There are some moments where you go WTF, but that's 'some' moments; it doesn't happen very often. However, what also keeps "F.E.A.R" from becoming a great game is the repetitive monotonous levels that create a dejavu of "I played this kind of map before...". You want"F.E.A.R" is a good solid game. But is it a horror shooter? No, it's just a solid FPS shooter with ridiculously smart AI. There are some moments where you go WTF, but that's 'some' moments; it doesn't happen very often. However, what also keeps "F.E.A.R" from becoming a great game is the repetitive monotonous levels that create a dejavu of "I played this kind of map before...". You want some old fashioned fun? Then grab this game. You want some epic **** Get something alse. Expand
  62. Sep 29, 2011
    A horror fps, with very clever scare tactics. Not like your run of the mill horror style shooter, the tension really builds up as you go along, and once you find out the true story of the games, leave you even more shocked. A must play for any fans of fps/psychological horror games.
  63. Sep 21, 2011
    so realistic game. and the subject is such original. weapons, environments and game play are fantastic. maybe the game would be more long. my point is 11/10.
  64. Aug 30, 2011
    Definitely a genuine tried and true FPS, but at the same time, a very emotive one. I really enjoyed playing this... enough to subsequently replay it twice. One aspect that I particularly liked was the labyrinthine level design. The FPS element is also nicely executed. Overall, a very dark and well executed title.
  65. Jul 3, 2011
    This is one of the few games that really scared the pants off of me the 1st time through. Really does keep your blood pressure high (figure of speech). The game mechanics feel too basic compared to other games and feels like not much work has been put into it.
  66. Jun 26, 2011
    According to these user reviews FEAR seems to be a love or hate experience. People junk this game for repetitive levels, bad graphics, and lack of enemy diversity. I just don't see any of that except maybe the bad level complaint is valid. Although who cares about how the levels look when the gameplay is so solid. I just played this game again in 2011 and it's still an awesome game. My oneAccording to these user reviews FEAR seems to be a love or hate experience. People junk this game for repetitive levels, bad graphics, and lack of enemy diversity. I just don't see any of that except maybe the bad level complaint is valid. Although who cares about how the levels look when the gameplay is so solid. I just played this game again in 2011 and it's still an awesome game. My one complaint with this game is even on the hardest difficulty it is still a bit too easy. The reason people love or hate this game is because its focus is the same gameplay over and over in different variations so if you don't like the shooting mechanic you will pretty much hate the whole game. Monolith has an epic resume of games Collapse
  67. Jun 18, 2011
    I grabbed F.E.A.R during the Steam 50% deal (17th June 2011). Having never played any of the FEAR games and not really a FPS fan, I only bought them because they were cheap. This game really surprised me. Graphically it's pretty good and plays at a rock solid 60FPS. The story is interesting and the horror element is well done (lights going out, doors slamming, etc). For me, It's theI grabbed F.E.A.R during the Steam 50% deal (17th June 2011). Having never played any of the FEAR games and not really a FPS fan, I only bought them because they were cheap. This game really surprised me. Graphically it's pretty good and plays at a rock solid 60FPS. The story is interesting and the horror element is well done (lights going out, doors slamming, etc). For me, It's the gun battles and the AI that sell FEAR. Having played many FPS over the years I don't recall any with such clever enemies. If you encounter a group of 4 soldiers and take aim, you fire your weapon they spread out and look for cover. One will fire back while the other 3 will try to outwit you by flanking, throwing a grenade, moving up high, etc. Having never fired a rifle or been in a fire fight, FEAR puts on screen how I would imagine a REAL gun battle would be. You cannot charge in and expect to come out untouched. You have to look for cover and pick each target off one by one while they in turn do the same. The gun sounds are convincing and just about everything you see can be shot at leaving trails of dust, wall tiles, broken boxes and spent extinguishers. FEAR is tons of fun. If you're looking for a great action FPS you can't go wrong with FEAR. Expand
  68. Jun 17, 2011
    Has to be one of the best first person horror shooters ever made. Before F.E.A.R., there was very little to choose from in the action horror genre. Monolith Timegate really did a great job in putting together a quality game that will give you chills. It reminds me of those horror movies like The Ring and The Grudge. It provides the right complement of shooting action combined with wellHas to be one of the best first person horror shooters ever made. Before F.E.A.R., there was very little to choose from in the action horror genre. Monolith Timegate really did a great job in putting together a quality game that will give you chills. It reminds me of those horror movies like The Ring and The Grudge. It provides the right complement of shooting action combined with well placed cut scenes. Many of the enemies are quite unique and offer some serious challenge on the higher difficulty settings. The slow motion feature does make the game a little easy, but you can deliberately not use it. The ideal way to experience this game is to create a scare factor atmosphere by playing it at night with the lights turned off. Highly recommended if you've never played it. Expand
  69. May 14, 2011
    FEAR is one of my personal favorites because it gets a lot of things right for me. The atmosphere, scares, and intriguing story really sets FEAR out to be a creative title. The variety of weapons are fantastic and fun though the environments may become repetitive. Slowly discovering the truth behind Alma and Fettel's past is extremely interesting and the end will leave you very satisfied.FEAR is one of my personal favorites because it gets a lot of things right for me. The atmosphere, scares, and intriguing story really sets FEAR out to be a creative title. The variety of weapons are fantastic and fun though the environments may become repetitive. Slowly discovering the truth behind Alma and Fettel's past is extremely interesting and the end will leave you very satisfied. Overall a great shooter that every PC gamer should try out! Expand
  70. May 1, 2011
    Nicely scary. The intrigue is well exploited and starts with a nice mysterious intro. Although the slowmo ability gives an interesting gameplay as well as some karate moves (which you rarely use), the gameplay itself is flat and very repetitive. Graphics are okay and graphic designs are so-so.
  71. Oct 2, 2010
    The game is scary.Scary as hell.But not the scary type you will find in doom 3.A much much more scary fear.The japanese kind of fear inducing.The one which really disturbes you.And you will be scared.I felt chills cod as ice on the back when i saw Alma first time.The game is full of tension.The shooting is tactical.The weapons are ok.Even the soldiers scared me sometimes.Good.
  72. DavidS
    Jan 24, 2010
    A fantastic shooter, a failed horror game. And I have to laugh at the people giving it 0's. Yes, it's sorta repetitive and bleak, but a few flaws do not a 0 make. If you can't appreciate the brutal, strategic combat, then you don't deserve to be playing this game.
  73. SvenR.
    Aug 2, 2009
    Best FPS ever for me. This game includes more horror as Condemned or Doom, ii's full of many shocking moments, also SlowMo is very nice.
  74. Hamid
    Jul 20, 2009
    First of all i want to say is that F.E.A.R is a awesome game that has action,horror etc. The game made me take short breaks because of its scariness and i always switched on my flashlight in every dark place. The game took me like 2 months to finish because it's scariness . It is a game which makes you feel cool and when you finish the game you are relieved that you didn't have First of all i want to say is that F.E.A.R is a awesome game that has action,horror etc. The game made me take short breaks because of its scariness and i always switched on my flashlight in every dark place. The game took me like 2 months to finish because it's scariness . It is a game which makes you feel cool and when you finish the game you are relieved that you didn't have a heart attack. Best horror game i have ever played Expand
  75. prodigy_dancer
    Jul 18, 2009
    Definitely it was one of the best tactical shooters. Yes, tactical, because of the amazing AI which your computer-managed opponents possessed. This single feature made the game absolutely unique and unforgettable. And if it wasn't there, I'd rate it 5/10, honestly. I can recall several flaws in graphics. Some characters models were slightly disproportional (although not nearly Definitely it was one of the best tactical shooters. Yes, tactical, because of the amazing AI which your computer-managed opponents possessed. This single feature made the game absolutely unique and unforgettable. And if it wasn't there, I'd rate it 5/10, honestly. I can recall several flaws in graphics. Some characters models were slightly disproportional (although not nearly as much as freaky-looking marines from Q4), many textures were low res even on the highest settings (compare the walls with those from with UT2k4 for example and you'll see the difference immediately). The setting was quite dull but some personalities were remarkable: mostly Fettel and that nameless fat guy with "RTFM" on his belt buckle. Alma wasn't frightful at all though. I could only take compassion on her, nothing else. Expand
  76. MathewM
    Jun 19, 2009
    If you are exceptionally bored right now, it's worth your time, but probably not your money. If you feel curious, borrow it from someone. You'll regret the purchase.
  77. Dalek
    Mar 26, 2009
    It's an ok game, but it seem to repeat alot of the time, and look the same really.. They mostly worked on the shadows and light fx rather then the graphics, they are ok and my PC could handle it almost very smooth but, I am never gonna buy organ project since its just killing soldiers half of the time and not being freaked out by alma.
  78. Carlos
    Mar 22, 2009
    Very much of the same... it looks like Doom, the 1st one, just with better graphics.
  79. AnonymousMC
    Jan 23, 2009
    One of the best FPS games I have played. The game has excellent AI, by far the best at the time of its release. I can't wait for the sequel. The levels may not have had a ton of variety, but what kind of office building, warehouse, and research facility has variety? The story was interesting and the scare moments were great. It is one of the most immersive games I've everOne of the best FPS games I have played. The game has excellent AI, by far the best at the time of its release. I can't wait for the sequel. The levels may not have had a ton of variety, but what kind of office building, warehouse, and research facility has variety? The story was interesting and the scare moments were great. It is one of the most immersive games I've ever played. There was enough enemy variety for the game, I don't see how anyone could expect more variety from a replica army. The weapons are great, the nailgun is my favorite.
    What I've played of the multiplayer was fun, nothing too notable though.
    Disregard the previous post, it is probably one of my roommate's being an idiot.
  80. AnonymousMC
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great graphics, horrible gameplay. It suffers from Far Cry syndrome where every enemy magically knows where you are, gets 100% headshots, and throws grenades with 100% accuracy. It's not unusual in this game to be killed within 3 seconds of an enemy seeing you because they immediately throw a grenade at you and it explodes when it hits you. It's almost as bad as STALKER.
  81. AnonymousMC
    Oct 5, 2008
    Utterly overrated game.
    1. To me, "Minimum Requirements" means you can play the game in minimum audiovisual settings. And "Recommended Requirements" means you can play the game high or highest settings. My system specs are exceeding the Recommended ones in every aspect but I still have to play the game in medium settings, and low screen resolution.
    2. Game slows down in Vista after
    Utterly overrated game.

2. Game slows down in Vista after 20-30 minutes of playing, so I have to exit the game and re-run.

3. Exiting the game takes about 5 to 6 minutes. 2-3 minutes to exit to desktop, and other 2-3 minutes to get my original screen resolution back. So not compatible with Vista (see 2.). And yes I have good specs, defragmented drive and minimum background programs.

4. Bad and boring level/enemy/weapon design. No silencers, no secondary modes in weapons e.g "Single Shot", "Burst" or "Rifle Granade".
  82. AnonymousMC
    Sep 18, 2008
    This game was one of very few that actually made me jump. There were points that I almost stopped playing out of pure FEAR.
    I'm glad I didn't though.
    I'm glad I didn't though.

Only reason I wouldn't give this a 10 is because the replay value isn't at it's fullest. After playing the game a few times, you start to memorize where things will jump out, which spoils half the thrill of the game. Unfortunately that is unavoidable.

Still one of the best games I've ever played though.
  83. AnonymousMC
    Sep 9, 2008
    This is the most boring, clichéd, slow, ugly, and unfightening video game I have ever played in my life. Like it's worse than Star Trek: Elite Force II and Big Rigs Over the Road Racing is what I'm talking about.

First off, the main problem is the gameplay. You can't go any faster than at most 5 KPH. The only special feature of the game is that you make it SLOWER.

Then comes the actual story. It's supposed to be horror, but where's the horror? Oh some decapitated bodies and the player apparently seeing random visions everywhere of some little girl with black hair over her face or some fat guy walking around and then disappearing.

The sound is awful. The only thing I heard throughout the (probably) first quarter of the game were these two repetitive tri-tones being played on some kind of synthesized instrument.

The graphics suck. There's no widescreen. Everything is horribly pixelated with no crappy setting in between it and high anti-aliasing, which is horrible for people with moderate video cards. The textures are crappy, player models are ugly, and the only thing I can think of that redeems this aspect is the three-dimensional wall-marks.

All that being said, I played for two and a half frustrating hours of walking around shooting people that also can't even go faster until I traded it for Quake 4, which is the best game ever.

Good trade.
  84. AnonymousMC
    Jul 14, 2008
    If you're a fan of horror games, this is one of the best you'll find, with great gameplay that's fun but tainted with the repetitiveness of the levels and the enemies. It's a very linear, very corridor shooter, and the gameplay is decent
    The presentation is excellent. The graphics are top notch, the scary effects are all there, and the sound makes it all the more scary. If you're one of those people who thought Doom 3 was a joke in its attempts to scare, FEAR may offer you a good dose of, well, itself - fear.
    As I am not a horror fan, I did not enjoy this game as much as I might have, but I did not take that into account when giving the game this score. It's well-built, but lacks the diversity, variety, and innovation that separates games like Half Life 2 and Far Cry.
  85. AnonymousMC
    Jun 8, 2008
    overrated by the critics, and sorely underrated by some of the players. Quite funny, really.

This game may appear to have "bland and similar" environments and "similar" enemies. But that sort of makes sense considering the fact that this is supposed to be a "pseudo-realistic" game, and you are mostly fighting throughout the "same" office building (go to an office building in real life; I'm sure the exiting, colorful and ever-changing environment will rocket your brain out the top of your skull) against the "same" faction (yup, boring old Terrans with the same weapons as you... what a shame...) There are a couple new enemies later in the game, (robots, anyone?) but yes, if you are one of the gamers who needs a constantly changing environment to be stimulated, choose another game, because it's the combat and the intelligence of the enemies which is the core of the game, not the enemies themselves. The weapons are really fun to use, the melee is the best I've ever seen in a FPS (ninja-like and stylish, but still easy to execute), and the bullet-time effects adds icing to the cake.
    Sure, the story in this game may not win a golden globe, but it's deeper than most FPS's I've played. Even when you aren't fighting it's surprisingly fun to run around and bicycle-kick crap off the walls and tables. And the AI? really smart, actually. I was pleasantly surprised when the enemy squad tried a flanking maneuver on me after flushing me out from my hiding spot with a grenade. They appeared to use more tactics than I did. They are also funny to listen to because they can yell out some pretty entertaining commands and expletives as you pin their squadleader to the wall like an insect display with a penetrator bolt.
  86. AnonymousMC
    May 4, 2008
    I want to start off by saying that this is a really good game and you should buy it!
    It has excellent combat. It's face paced, fun and the AI is very good. From flanking maneuvers, duck and cover tactics, right down to being too afraid of you to come out from cover. The first few levels will be an extreme adrenaline rush. It also has a max payne type bullet time, which I found (first time through) ruined the combat completely! It took the fast pace out of the game, but it is handy for those tight spots. So overall the combat is challenging but not frustratingly hard because of this.

As for horror-fsp, this game is not scary. Not in the slightest. The story is rubbish, and predictable. Think action movie with the basics of a good story. The idea is good but the implementation, the story-telling, it's all just worked around breaking up the action, which is fine, but you don't get that immersive feeling. It's just like being told it from a book, rather than like you're living it. It's all just items that you have to use, like phones and computers, then the narrator fills in the blanks, or points.

The biggest problem with the game is repetition. The walls are the same everywhere. The computers, the cubicles, the doors... everything is the same. The enemies are even the same the whole way through, except that their armor gets a bit better, so they're tougher. You'll be using the same weapon the whole way through too. I think this is Monolith's biggest problem when it comes to games. They're one trick ponies. But that trick is usually very good. Good enough to save the game in fact, and that's the action and gameplay. Had it been against more and varied enemies it would keep you entertained for weeks, but half way through you will have a strategy for the (same) enemies (enemy), so it gets dull near the end (Which I must say is a very impressive end!). That being said you still have multi-player for variety in enemies and tactics :)

So buy this game!
  87. AnonymousMC
    Apr 27, 2008
    I must say that I am ticked off, ticked off that people are trolling this game for no reason. The game is still quite facinating, even in 2008. I put off getting this game for 3 years, but I am glad it is still this amazing, the physics DON'T suck compared to even the SOURCE engine, the graphics are still above par, and the AI isn't dumber than a jar of sod. All in all, this gameI must say that I am ticked off, ticked off that people are trolling this game for no reason. The game is still quite facinating, even in 2008. I put off getting this game for 3 years, but I am glad it is still this amazing, the physics DON'T suck compared to even the SOURCE engine, the graphics are still above par, and the AI isn't dumber than a jar of sod. All in all, this game is a facinating ride (even in 2008) and with the Platinum edition for 30 bucks, it can't be a better value on the game market today. Expand
  88. JamesK.
    Apr 20, 2008
    Best Game Ever
  89. AnonymousMC
    Mar 21, 2008
    Very overrated. First of all, the level design was very poor. I felt like I was going through one whole level the whole game. Second, the enemy variety. 80% of the time you are fighting super-soldiers who all look the same. The plot may have been quite scary, but at the same time it was extremley stupid. Whoever thought a little girl was scary? And why can she kill 10 people in 5 secondsVery overrated. First of all, the level design was very poor. I felt like I was going through one whole level the whole game. Second, the enemy variety. 80% of the time you are fighting super-soldiers who all look the same. The plot may have been quite scary, but at the same time it was extremley stupid. Whoever thought a little girl was scary? And why can she kill 10 people in 5 seconds with her telekinesis powers? The ending came out of nowhere and it seems like it was the first thing they did. Also, much of the story was spaced out so you almost forgot about it at some times. The multiplayer is nothing special and is not anything you can't find in most other games. The graphics are mediocre, yet some pretty good machines still have trouble running it. In other words, wait until this shows up in the bargain bin. Its simply not worth more than $20. Expand
  90. AnonymousMC
    Feb 13, 2008
    A reviewer once wrote that a game without narrative has no lasting power. The biggest gripe about this game is the levels. You literally spend 15 hours walking around the same labyrinthine : Warehouse, Office, Labs, Ruined house. What architect designed these locations? Why is every door locked, every elevator offline-- and the ones that are offline only go up three floors? How many timesA reviewer once wrote that a game without narrative has no lasting power. The biggest gripe about this game is the levels. You literally spend 15 hours walking around the same labyrinthine : Warehouse, Office, Labs, Ruined house. What architect designed these locations? Why is every door locked, every elevator offline-- and the ones that are offline only go up three floors? How many times can you pull off that cliche. Apparently a lot. Every mission briefing begins with the same objective "Find Mr. XYZ. His locator has been spotted in the area!" to the point that it becomes comical.

I got this on sale a few years after its release and at the moment I'm just grinding through it to say I've finished it. The graphics are nice, and they were nicer for their time, but that's not enough to give the game any sort of special significance in history.
  91. AnonymousMC
    Feb 13, 2008
    Really good story-driven FPS. The enemy AI was usually brilliant and some of the triggered events were very well done. Some of the environments get a bit repetitive as it's nearly all set indoors but the way the very adult storyline reveals itself gradually was awesome. Highly recommended game that deserves to be compared to the mighty Half-Life series.
  92. PSORngr
    Jan 27, 2008
    The Graphics aren't very good for this game. It felt like I was playing the same level over and over again and fighting the same enemies. My biggest gripe with the game was that I felt it had little to know story.
  93. Alex
    Dec 30, 2007
    One of the best FPS I've ever played. The levels weren't so much bland as realistic. If you want to play an FPS to stare at how pretty the wall is don't play fear. Awesome graphics, best AI I've ever played against, and a story/gameplay combination that makes all horror movies laughable in comparison. The storyline some ppl may not like because it doesn't spell One of the best FPS I've ever played. The levels weren't so much bland as realistic. If you want to play an FPS to stare at how pretty the wall is don't play fear. Awesome graphics, best AI I've ever played against, and a story/gameplay combination that makes all horror movies laughable in comparison. The storyline some ppl may not like because it doesn't spell everything out for them... get an imagination ppl. High replay value and excellent multiplayer. Expand
  94. CodyM.
    Dec 13, 2007
    This game rocked the single player is awsome and can nearly make you crap your pants while multiplayer will keep you from getting out of your chair to change your underwear.
  95. ChrisK.
    Dec 12, 2007
    Great AI, Wepons, Sound, and Multiplayer. The bad is the enviorments. They look... bland.
  96. RaphaelP.
    Nov 2, 2007
    ok first i want to say that this game is one of the few out there you'll see with user scores way lower than critic scores. I think the game was overrated by critics. Simply put the game is fun but does get repetitive after a while.
  97. ShaunT.
    Oct 28, 2007
    FEAR is a mixed bag. The enemy AI, weapon effects, and graphics are all superb. But the levels themselves are bland and lifeless, and you are tasked with fighting basically the same exact enemy throughout. I wanted to like FEAR, and tried to force myself to ignore the repetitiveness and admire the better aspects of the game. But ultimately, I uninstalled it and went back to playing FEAR is a mixed bag. The enemy AI, weapon effects, and graphics are all superb. But the levels themselves are bland and lifeless, and you are tasked with fighting basically the same exact enemy throughout. I wanted to like FEAR, and tried to force myself to ignore the repetitiveness and admire the better aspects of the game. But ultimately, I uninstalled it and went back to playing Half-Life 2 and Quake 4. For all the hype, I felt that FEAR was purely a missed opportunity and a let-down. A good game without creativity and variety is nothing. Expand
  98. JordanZ.
    Aug 15, 2007
    WOW, this is the game that DEFINES the first person shooter genre. Everything just comes together perfectly in one beautiful FPS. From the intense firefights, to the genuinely creepy horror sequences, it's hard to find anything to hate in this game. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous. bullets ricochet off of metal surfaces, shell casings bounce off walls and floors, blood splatters WOW, this is the game that DEFINES the first person shooter genre. Everything just comes together perfectly in one beautiful FPS. From the intense firefights, to the genuinely creepy horror sequences, it's hard to find anything to hate in this game. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous. bullets ricochet off of metal surfaces, shell casings bounce off walls and floors, blood splatters nearby objects. It all just looks amazing and is true candy for your eyes. the sound is some of the best I've heard in a game. The weapons all sound cool and there is such attention to detail in every aspect of the sound design. However the game play is what will have you coming back for more. The AI in this game is so superb, you could swear you were fighting against real people. The Slow-Mo feature adds to the cinematic feel of the game, making every firefight even more spectacular. The Multiplayer portion of the game is just as addictive as the single player. everything you can do in single player is transitioned successfully into the multiplayer, even down to the Slow- Mo. Team based modes and Deathmatches are the heart of the multiplayer experience. The only thing I could ask more of in the multiplayer component is a persistent leaderboard to track stats and ranks. F.E.A.R. is an experience not to be missed and is a must play for every fan of the shooter genre. For those not fond of First Person Shooters, this could be the one that converts you. Expand
  99. AYANB.
    Jul 24, 2007
    The best things about it are the AI,sound effects,the hallucination sequences,the grenade effects.
  100. ShadowOwNz
    Jul 5, 2007
    As mentioned above, the game seems on its way to gaining the 96% only ever acieved by the half-life's, however, where half-life increases the intensity of gameplay, F.E.A.R. seems to far a little short, and continues pretty much the same throughout the rest of the game. The level design is some of the best i've seen, you can't just run & shoot through every situation, As mentioned above, the game seems on its way to gaining the 96% only ever acieved by the half-life's, however, where half-life increases the intensity of gameplay, F.E.A.R. seems to far a little short, and continues pretty much the same throughout the rest of the game. The level design is some of the best i've seen, you can't just run & shoot through every situation, careful thought and logic is required throughout. RE: Andrew Y. "seen a thousand times before" ...dude this is an FPS, there are alot of them out there, some better than others, if you're just going to sit and say that, then you might aswell fuck off an play the original Doom over and over. FPS is a genre, without people repeating/redisigning around the same formats, we would never have gotten great games like half-life or battlefield 2. Expand
  101. Jun 26, 2011

1. F.E.A.R.'s troopers try so hard, you almost hate not fighting fair. [Jan 2005, p.96]
  2. Is it the next "Half-Life"? It may very well be since anticipation for a sequel is rising every day as more and more play F.E.A.R. for the first time.
  3. But the fantastic graphics, sound, and firefights all blend to make F.E.A.R. an excellent game, though in order to enjoy the graphics and the game to its fullest, you must have a high-end computer system. In closing, F.E.A.R. is definitely one of this year’s best games.