6.5

1. May 7, 2013
    Decent game in spite of some minor glitches and crashing until updated, since update 1.03 i have not had any more problems with it crashing. The levels do tend to get repetitive and as far as where to go, it seems to be just guessing,and having to do alot of backtracking and redoing levels,the 3-d map is more confusing than anything. But in spite of the minor annoyances it is an enjoyableDecent game in spite of some minor glitches and crashing until updated, since update 1.03 i have not had any more problems with it crashing. The levels do tend to get repetitive and as far as where to go, it seems to be just guessing,and having to do alot of backtracking and redoing levels,the 3-d map is more confusing than anything. But in spite of the minor annoyances it is an enjoyable game with some interesting puzzles and levels.
    As far as the review i read complaining about needing a 'discreet graphics card".and it not being made apparent. I have to ask. What game doesn't need a half decent video card nowadays? I would venture to guess the vast majority do, and if you bothered to look at the system requirements for the game it clearly states the minimum graphics card,as being nvidia 8600gt or radeon 6450 .so this was made more than apparent to anyone that bothered to look it up.
  2. May 6, 2013
    Average game over-hyped by the media/journalism sphere.
    2D/3D manipulation and twist are interesting but that's it more or less.

Incentive to go forward in this slow-paced game is lacking.

Possibility of loosing interest very likely.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Fez is all about beautiful bright colored pixel art and great retro-ish music but unfortunately I can't praise the gameplay. Fez is a 2D puzzle platformer with an unique twist that let's you "change your point of view". This means that the world is in 3D but you can look at it from one side at a time. This allows for great puzzle elements but get's stale quite quickly, after all there'sFez is all about beautiful bright colored pixel art and great retro-ish music but unfortunately I can't praise the gameplay. Fez is a 2D puzzle platformer with an unique twist that let's you "change your point of view". This means that the world is in 3D but you can look at it from one side at a time. This allows for great puzzle elements but get's stale quite quickly, after all there's just a little that you can do aside from jumping and there are only few collectables and even those are only for completionists since they offer no new mechanics to the game. For me it feels that all the effort has been in developing this neat trick of 2D/3D but it's not enough to carry the whole game. Expand
  4. Jun 2, 2013
    Fez has some problems, but it is worth playing. The music and atmosphere are great, and many of the puzzles are a lot of fun to solve. But ultimately, it's the puzzle design that left me with the feeling that the game comes up short. While the beginning of the game has a lot of great puzzles, the later game is filled with challenges that are either frustrating or downright impenetrable. IFez has some problems, but it is worth playing. The music and atmosphere are great, and many of the puzzles are a lot of fun to solve. But ultimately, it's the puzzle design that left me with the feeling that the game comes up short. While the beginning of the game has a lot of great puzzles, the later game is filled with challenges that are either frustrating or downright impenetrable. I solved some of them without really knowing why, while others required a lot of tedium. Then there are those that require you to crack codes. Since they all had basically the same solution once you cracked the codes (or looked them up online), this came off to me as a total cop-out.

In short, Fez is well worth your time, but trying to solve the later puzzles requires so much drudgery that you'll put the game down before you ever get to all of them.
  5. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FEZ is not what I expected it to be. FEZ is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game. Don't get me wrong, the game has a lot of very interesting puzzles, but completing those puzzles is not enough to finish the game (The game doesn't end after 32 cubes, as you might think!). The game expects you to see a drawing of a fox jumping over something next to a bunch of symbols and understand it refers to the English alphabet (The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog). And since I'm not a native speaker, there was no way I would figure that out by myself. The twisting mechanic is no more than a way to travel around, and is used in some of the puzzles, but those aren't enough. If you're into adventure games, this is a game for you just keep in mind you'll do a lot of Internet research if you REALLY want to finish the game. Expand
  6. Jun 13, 2013
    Game was fun and I enjoyed playing it. wasn't the best ever but atleast for the price I enjoyed myself and seen a small challange other then that its one of those games you have to decide for yourself to play or not.
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    While it is a perfectly passable platform puzzle game it has none of the *WOW* factor that would justify it's 10/10 reviews. It's an above average game, but it doesn''t do anything to make you fall in love with it or remember it for years to come, like say Portal.
  8. May 4, 2013
    I had high hopes for this game after hearing about how quirky and interesting it was.
    Well I have to say I am actually pretty disappointed. The puzzles basically consist of translating symbols for the entire game.. over and over. The rotation doesn't really add any depth to the game once you understand how it works, because basically all the levels are the same. Jump to platform, rotate world so next platform is within jumping range, repeat.
    It Is cheap but quite short and uninteresting so I give it a slightly above average score.
  9. May 3, 2013
    It's a solid "Yet Another Indie Puzzle-Platformer", but it's puzzle design suffers from "Cleverer Than Thou" syndrome. Many puzzles rely entirely or mostly on the player's ability to figure out various alphabetic, numerical, or input code systems. The much-hyped perspective shifting gameplay doesn't really play out that much in the actual puzzle solving.

It is possible to complete the

It is possible to complete the game without spending time on the cipher systems, if you feel like figuring out all the puzzles yourself. Full completion will most likely require consultation with GameFAQs.

Worth a buy if you're willing to deal with infrequent, albeit harmless crashes (unless you're on Intel hardware, in which case don't bother) and the biggest douchebag developer on the planet.
  10. Sep 19, 2013
    Very nice concept, but the way it is executed is really boring. It's still a decent game though. And by decent I mean just enough to get a little bit of fun out of it. It's not a terrible game. But it's not a lot of fun either.
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    it's just okay it defiantly doesn't deserve all the hype it got it's just a puzzler with a great idea, but that's the entire game there is no action its just the same thing with a different level layout and it gets boring
  12. Oct 14, 2013
    Technical Issues[1]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[5.0]
  13. Oct 1, 2013
    This game is decent, but not fun to play after about 5 minutes or so. The dimensional switching idea is nice, but that alone fails to make the game worthy of one's time.
  14. May 4, 2013
    The initial PC release had a tendency to crash, but that seems to be resolved by now. Besides that, Fez is about as good as you could expect: nice pixealart graphics, interesting and unique game mechanics and levels/puzzles that make it shine. And unless you plan on getting all the secrets, Fez is also rather short and easy, and I didn't really mind that, because...

...while the game is

...while the game is fine as it is, I did not feel like playing something memorable and there are acpects of the design that are simply bothersome. First there are those black hole things that block your movements. They are just annoying and in most cases reentering the level makes them dissapear. And this does not seem to be a bug. I am not really sure what is the point of having those obstacles, if I can just get rid of them and even if I don't, there does not seem to be any kind of reward for navigating around them.

Then there is the matter of traveling across larger distances in the world. The world itself is a bunch of interconnected levels with a few (like 5) hubs that allow instant travel between them. Also at the end of some of the levels there are small teleports that will get you to closest hub. So, travel between the hubs is fast and easy, but getting to the actual puzzle further away from the hub requires you to jump again through all the levels on the way. Which is as annoying as it sounds, if not more. I really wish that I could just get instantly to any level I have already been to.

Furthermore the retro 3-colored levels are pain to navigate and the world feels just incredibly empty. The village at the beginning is just filled with interesting NPCs, and there is a similiar one near the end of the game, but inbetween, all those locations feel just like puzzles with fancy props, devoid of any actual life. A bunch of reappearing NPCs throughout the world would help the immersion so much, but no luck thre either.

So, yeah, Fez does what was expected of it and does it well, but there is not much more beyond that, which is kinda shame. And yeah, there seem to be loads of secrets that might ramp up the playtime and difficulty considerably, but the game wasn't really that fun for me to bother with those.
  15. Jul 25, 2013
    The 30 first minutes are fun. And then it is always the same... jump, rotate, jump, rotate, jump... This game is not that bad, it is an interesting concept. In fact I was expecting more a puzzle game like portal (even in 2d) than a platform game. Because in the end, this is just a platform game with a simple rotate feature (yes you can look for riddles in the game but I guess that mostThe 30 first minutes are fun. And then it is always the same... jump, rotate, jump, rotate, jump... This game is not that bad, it is an interesting concept. In fact I was expecting more a puzzle game like portal (even in 2d) than a platform game. Because in the end, this is just a platform game with a simple rotate feature (yes you can look for riddles in the game but I guess that most players wont pay attention to those). Expand
  16. Jul 9, 2013
    In this game you'll be walking systematically around buildings while trying to not miss any doors or cubes.

Short and simple; it looks great, but it's not much fun.
  17. May 11, 2013
    Honestly, 90? this game is to oatmeal for me bland and average, mix in some better visuals and easier to understand controls with co-op this could be better!
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game. I loved while playing this game. This has brought a new 3d worlds playing in 2d world. It's an amazing puzzle game and it does not cost that much at all. GET IT.
  19. Jul 17, 2013
    Fez would be perfect if it worked the way it should have on launch. The game itself is really interesting, featuring a bright color palette and is jam packed with interesting design choices. Unfortunately, I can't recommend you buy it on PC, as it is was very poorly optimized and could easily blue-screen your rig. If an Xbox or PS3 is an option, play this game there.
  20. May 19, 2013
    Not a bad game, but not amazing as well.
    This is a puzzle platforming game, with a calming ambiance. The colorful graphics, and the soothing music really comes together to create a relaxing atmosphere. However, this game goes overboard on that aspect, as I found myself quite bored at times. The character moves really slow, and there's nothing really engaging.
    The visuals are quite
    Not a bad game, but not amazing as well.
    The visuals are quite beautiful at first, but then you come to realize that every "new" environment, is just the same old graphics, but put through some filter.
    Don't get me wrong, I did have fun playing this game, but I was never truly excited to play this game, like I never actually felt a strong urge to load this game up and find the next puzzle piece. I guess I was always hoping for some kind of change to blow me away and to captivate me, but unfortunately FEZ remains about the same all throughout the game.
  21. Jul 4, 2013
    Fez is 2D game that was originally released only on XBOX and when it finally come out on PC. I immediately bought it on steam. Unfortunately for me game is was disappointment. Game does not offer many things to do only thing you have to do is collecting peace’s of cube and occasionally solve some puzzles. Yes FEZ looks gorgeous but for me pretty graphics is not enough. It would be far moreFez is 2D game that was originally released only on XBOX and when it finally come out on PC. I immediately bought it on steam. Unfortunately for me game is was disappointment. Game does not offer many things to do only thing you have to do is collecting peace’s of cube and occasionally solve some puzzles. Yes FEZ looks gorgeous but for me pretty graphics is not enough. It would be far more interesting if FEZ could do something more as he progresses in game only thing you can do is rotating your 2D world its really interesting concept that we don’t see very often in games it’s really a shame that author did not developed his brilliant idea.
    So summary FEZ is COOL 2D game for players that play games occasionally it is also great game for KIDS but not for hardcore gamers or someone who is looking for challenge.
  22. Sep 7, 2013
    The game is fine, but not amazing. I either didn't know or didn't remember the big gameplay hook, so it was a wonderful surprise when it was revealed about five minutes into the game. Unfortunately, it was one of the only memorable bits about the game. I mostly bought Fez because of all the rave reviews, but alas the game is rated about 20 points too high. This indie escalation thingThe game is fine, but not amazing. I either didn't know or didn't remember the big gameplay hook, so it was a wonderful surprise when it was revealed about five minutes into the game. Unfortunately, it was one of the only memorable bits about the game. I mostly bought Fez because of all the rave reviews, but alas the game is rated about 20 points too high. This indie escalation thing has just got to stop! Seriously, if we're going to rate indie games on a different scale (with 90 being perfectly adequate and 5 being complete garbage), then we need to be up front about it so that nobody really believes that an indie game with a 90 rating is going to be as good as a AAA title with a 90 rating. This one certainly, definitely, without a doubt is not as good. Expand
  23. Oct 19, 2013
    FEZ is a very beautiful game and has many creative features. The one problem with the game is that in the beginning, it is very confusing to get the hang of the controls when adjusting perspective. FEZ also has a large number of glitches but do not affect the gameplay to heavily.
  24. Nov 23, 2014
    A pretty good puzzle platformer that suffers from confusing level design, rather plain visuals, and the unfortunate aspect of having an absolutely terrible developer.
  25. Aug 25, 2014
    Style over substance. The game combines a retro style with some beautiful scenes to create a lovely visual experience. The music - probably the best feature of the game - accentuates this, combining retro video game music with warm, ambient synths. The overall aesthetic affect is powerful. Unfortunately, this is where the clear creative vision ends. The story starts strongly enough, andStyle over substance. The game combines a retro style with some beautiful scenes to create a lovely visual experience. The music - probably the best feature of the game - accentuates this, combining retro video game music with warm, ambient synths. The overall aesthetic affect is powerful. Unfortunately, this is where the clear creative vision ends. The story starts strongly enough, and there is some witty and quirky dialogue, but this quickly fades away into nothing. The only reason for this seems to be laziness on the part of the developers - the game is clearly crying out for a good story, and there is abundant opportunity for populating the world with interesting characters with interesting dialogue, but there is a total absence of these things. Lastly, but most importantly, the gameplay. This is the least focused aspect of all. The central mechanic to the game involves rotating the 2D word by 90 degrees to see it from different angles. It is clever and original, and has huge potential for some clever puzzles and gameplay elements. Regrettably, this potential is completely unattained, and asides from a couple of simple uses of the mechanic which you quickly get used to, it is really just used as a stylistic element rather than an integral part of the gameplay, so that the game really just becomes a very bland platformer. It seems that the developers were either too incapable or lazy to turn the mechanic into an actual game, or else they simply failed to recognise its potential and focus on it. Instead, rather bizarrely, the gameplay slowly descends into obscure puzzles involving code breaking or noticing obscure parts of the environment. None of these puzzles are well-designed or enjoyable, and a number of them are downright bad. All in all, I did initially enjoy playing this game purely as an aesthetic experience, rather like the experience of peacefully observing a painting, so I can't give it a very low score, and you should give it a try if you are into that kind of thing. However, once you have had enough of the sensual experience, stop playing, as its artistic merits are woefully unmatched by its merits as a game. For this reason I can't give it a high score either. A score of 5 therefore seems appropriate. Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed playing this game. It gets great marks for the art, it was so well done and crisp, quite gorgeous, even the soundtrack and music contributed. Of course the rotating mechanic was great fun and I felt that it never grew tiresome. The rest, however... was somewhat disappointing, here are my two major gripes:

1) Puzzles I'm not sure if the developer intended this but I gave up and simply searched the internet for several puzzles. I would challenge a majority of players to not do the same. It feels unfair to knock this game for that, it's not the designer's fault, I wouldn't ask him to dumb his creation down. But the puzzles aren't for everyone and some were so obscure that when I searched for the answer I didn't say, "duh, I should've thought've that!"

2) The ending was very unsatisfying. The dialogue just simply stops, you're told in the beginning to collect the cubes and are given a purpose. At the end you're left with what seems to be abstract geometry. It's left up to me to decide how to interpret it, and I think my efforts in game were pointless and unrewarding. I could've stopped at any point I got bored and fared no worse.

In the end, I'm glad I played it, but wished I could've prefaced my experience with what I should expect. I enjoyed Paper Mario so there's that.
  27. Oct 27, 2014
    A visually stunning game that has a questionable story, FEZ takes a bold step into the modern gamer's realm and manages to topple my expectations. Overall, it is a pretty solid game.
  28. Jan 21, 2014
    The game is interesting but not very enjoyable. This puzzle platformer will twist your mind. It has some really interesting game mechanics but the whole game is rather boring. I would not recommend this game for playing. However, I would definitely recommend checking it out if you want to see something new.
  29. Mar 20, 2014
    Smart game with some moments of pure genius. The perfect hybrid between a platform and a puzzle game, with the novelty of a "compressed 3D" world. Only for those who are searching for something to challenge the brain rather than the fingers.
  30. Jun 10, 2014
    Uno de los juegos mejor valorados de la historia, pero a parte de contenido visual sinceramente no me dijo nada. Tal vez demasiado hype alrededor que luego no se ve cumplido. Si te interesa lo indie es una buena compra, aunque mejor para rebajas.
  31. Aug 4, 2014
    Fez in theory is a great idea. You take a retro sort of feel, and literally put a spin on it. And for the most part, Phil Fish did a great job. I enjoy the game, but it is a little slow paced for my taste. With that said, everything else is pretty nice. The graphics, the sounds, the controls. It was all good, I just found myself bored after a while.
  32. Aug 13, 2013
    I can't do this game quite the justice it deserves. It is crescent fresh, absolutely gorgeous and charming! I won't spoil the mechanics but they will twist your mind in unheard-of ways. The story and world interaction made me all fuzzy inside. The sound deserves a great system cranked way way up. I wish all games sounded this good. Not only the sound effects but the music, so odd andI can't do this game quite the justice it deserves. It is crescent fresh, absolutely gorgeous and charming! I won't spoil the mechanics but they will twist your mind in unheard-of ways. The story and world interaction made me all fuzzy inside. The sound deserves a great system cranked way way up. I wish all games sounded this good. Not only the sound effects but the music, so odd and otherworldly, just divine. Oh and talk about tough puzzles. There are plenty.

The only disappointment was after about 70% the way through it just got repetitive. I never actually finished it but it's one of those games where when you come back after a hiatus, there's a metric ton of enjoyment awaiting you.

One hint. Don't jump ahead, play it through in its proper sequence. (which is tough to figure out at first) It's much much more satisfying.

8/10 but gave it a 9 for bravery, charm and sheer imagination.

1. Jun 23, 2013
    A masterpiece by any measure. [July 2013, p.89]
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A gorgeous puzzle-platformer that's both a treat for the eyes and a thorough workout for the mind. [July 2013, p.82]
    The variation of the broken-down elements of the game is such that, if you miss two or three of the dozens of screens of the game, you will have missed on something special and unique. [June 2013]