6.5

1. May 2, 2013
    FEZ brings pixels to life. The vivid colors and music that gives every scene its own style and atmosphere makes every discovery and exploration worthwhile. I could not stop smiling at it and at times I would just pause to appreciate the artistry and the environment. It gives a refreshing taste of platformer and puzzle games.
  2. May 1, 2013
    This brought a new 3D world While staying in a 2D world A Very fun puzzle games for a low price and hours of Puzzles. If your looking for some puzzle fun this game is for you the worlds are very nicely designed.
  3. May 1, 2013
    This game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpieceThis game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpiece and be criticized by putting his foot in his mouth. I mean gamers are some of the worst people in the world and they're worried about some guy saying one or two silly things.

The game is not a typical side scroller. I guess the best way to describe it would be a open world puzzle game. It's amazing how complete it all feels though. I've played it on the Xbox and on Steam with no problems so far (like that save glitch). The world feels so alive and vibrant. Every single component of this game has a purpose or adds to the experience. It has its own language and its own vibe. I'm sure everyone is used to ignoring the user score on Metacritic but here it is especially important. This game is amazing.
  4. Feb 10, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece, im not usually into these kinda 8 bit looking games but this one made me feel like a kid again was some trippy effects almost old school Atari like, really enjoyed this game.
  5. Oct 29, 2013
    Just signed up here to write this review and doubt I will give any other game a 10 for a very long time. In almost 30 years of gaming (I'm 33) this has to rate as one of the best experiences I've had. As you make your way to 209.4% you will laugh, catch your breath, shiver and have spontaneous outbursts as you slowly work things out (mostly) by yourself, moving deeper into the story andJust signed up here to write this review and doubt I will give any other game a 10 for a very long time. In almost 30 years of gaming (I'm 33) this has to rate as one of the best experiences I've had. As you make your way to 209.4% you will laugh, catch your breath, shiver and have spontaneous outbursts as you slowly work things out (mostly) by yourself, moving deeper into the story and levels of Fez and past just being a game, through classic, and ending at masterpiece.
    Thanks so much Polytron.
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    This is an art game, a complete zen experience. You need sometime to understand all moviments anda concepts. Soundtrack is really amazing. I`m sure that the autor took so long time to deliver this game because tried to do the best of him
  7. Mar 24, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece of indie development. Breathtaking locations, challenging puzzles, and head-scratching secrets make this game one of a kind. FEZ manages to be tough and challenging without every becoming frustrating. Anyone who gave this a bad rating because it crashed on their computer really have no respect for indies or indie developers.
  8. Mar 16, 2014
    Why does this masterpiece get so much hate? The game has a simple concept, surrounding many secrets. If all you haters would leave the creator alone, we would see a sequel. The language gives you a challenge, and the puzzles are well thought out. If you really played the game, you would understand why it's not what these users are saying.
  9. Mar 17, 2014
    An artistic masterpiece a must for any player who likes exploration made out of pixels with vivid colors and has an amazing sound track played by Disasterpeace make this game an incredible package to buy for only 9.99$.
  10. Mar 22, 2014
    Отличный атмосферный инди-платформер, в замечательном выдержанном визуальном и музыкальном стиле. Саму игру еще не прошел, но от ее прохождения получаю массу эстетического удовольствия. Кто гонится за графоном и экшОном, просьба пройти мимо и не загаживать такую шедевральную в своем роде игру.
    P.S. После просмотра документального фильма "Indie game: the movie" еще больше полюбил Fez. И как дань уважения к разработчику этой игры (Phil Fish), ставлю твердую 10!
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    Really fun and interesting platformer. It does what it sets out to do very well. It reminds me of the kind of fun I had while playing Mario Galaxy on the Wii. There are nice little touches that really make me experience the game instead of just watch it.

Did have some first launch issues (Microsoft .net related) but after a windows update and restart the game worked fine.
  12. May 6, 2013
    This is essentially Mario 64 crossed with Myst with a gorgeous audiovisual aesthetic. If you are the kind of person who that appeals to you will love this. For "thinkers and explorers".

Sprawling, with puzzles ranging from clever yet simple to insanely deep and complex. The king of puzzle platformers. The rotation is used to cleverly and in ways too diverse to be called a "gimmick". Art and soundtrack are both stunning.
  13. Sep 28, 2013
    Fez is the only game that has actually made me fill up several notebook pages with notes about its puzzles. The core mechanic is mind-blowing and very versatile, and the puzzles are very hard but VERY rewarding to solve.

This is not to mention that Fez is a masterpiece both visually and audibly. The visuals and music combine to make a world that is incredibly absorbing and pleasant to play in.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    Brilliant, fun and challenging and so very creative with layers of depth if you wish to look below the surface. I would buy this game multiple times if it would help encourage more games with this level of creativity.
  15. May 4, 2013
    This is way better than the one on console (I own both), and I really didn't have any complaints at all. I'm not sure why people are even giving this game negative scores, If you actually read their reviews it sounds like they're joking about it.
  16. May 7, 2013
    I'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. TheI'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. The game literally put a smile on my face as I realized the developer was intending on marrying old-school graphics with a 3d effect that plays an important role in the game. He pulls it off nicely. You have to change views in order to progress to find the cubes. It's like a 3d puzzle. I played the first level so far and I'm impressed with the attention to detail. From the floating cube helper that tells you everything, to popups that give you hints, to the world map, it's as if the guy thought of everything to make the game more of an enjoyment that a frustration...a casual game is what I wanted and this is what I got. I really like the fact that if I die, I re-spawn right where I last was just before i made the mistake so that I don't find myself repeating things over and over and getting bored. $10 well spent! Expand
  17. May 6, 2013
    You can feel the love care and attention lavished on this game through every pixel of its sumptuous levels.
    It is not often that you come across a game that has its own language and number set. The different rooms and levels are littered with symbols and clues that you can either dismiss as decoration or, if you are prepared to put in some time code- cracking ,a rich diverse and rewarding universe awaits you.
    Not all of it is perfect by any means. Some of the levels are better than others, and moving from hub to hub and room to room can be frustrating and time consuming.
    Any one who thinks of themselves as a Gamer is duty bound to play this game, regardless of platform, and once I become Ruler of the Universe I shall make it compulsory for everyone
  18. May 5, 2013
    I've always had my eye on this game, and my expectations for it were extremely high. It is definitely an extremely fun and solid game. One of the best indie games in the market, and I'm not sure why there are so many players who hate it. The port itself is not horrible. I recommend that this game be played with a gamepad, simple because it was designed to be played with one. The atmosphereI've always had my eye on this game, and my expectations for it were extremely high. It is definitely an extremely fun and solid game. One of the best indie games in the market, and I'm not sure why there are so many players who hate it. The port itself is not horrible. I recommend that this game be played with a gamepad, simple because it was designed to be played with one. The atmosphere of the game is so colorful and vivid that playing it is such a pleasure. There are definitely some flaws, but I would rate this game a 9/10. Expand
  19. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm used to being long-winded about games, but this one left me speechless. Fez is the result of what felt like an eternity of work (though, admittedly, it was all programmed by one guy, whose story is told in part of the excellent documentary film, Indie Game: The Movie), and man, oh man, was it worth the wait! The audiovisual landscape in Fez is lush and beautiful; no two levels look or sound the same, and the sound and appearance of each world are beguilingly, inextricably linked. Many times, I found myself simply marveling at each new world as it came into focus. Fez is lax on cogent narrative structure, and many people will likely be turned off by the fact that it's essentially one long fetch-quest. Those people should safely be ignored. Fez will challenge your logical mind like no Zelda block-pushing puzzle ever has. It pushes you by presenting seemingly impossible tasks that have incredibly simple solutions. It never relies on your platforming ability alone (which is particularly nice because the controls are a little slippery sometimes), but rather asks you to figure out the simplest way to overcome an obstacle. I was often stuck for a solution to something for hours at a time before I would shift my perspective (quite literally) and finally have something click. Fez has themes akin to (and a denouement seemingly deliberately reminiscent of) 2001: A Space Odyssey and is as absorbing and worthy of a note-taking friend as Myst was all those years ago. Mysticism in games (no pun intended) has not lost its luster. Fez really made me think of self-determinism and internal structure in a whole new light; and yes, it's just as esoteric as it sounds, but it's not without its charm, either. My one and only true caveat for this game is a warning; purists beware, you're going to search online sometimes. I completed this game in its entirety in about fifteen hours, and I'd like to think I did an admirable job at puzzle solving for the most part. If you keep your eyes open and sharp, you'll find hints that will help you greatly. Let me say that again; greatly. All the same, some of these puzzles are so esoteric, you have to be a pretty-near obsessive person to hunt down some solutions. One of my favorites was a puzzle featuring two intermittently flashing lights. One Internet search later, I learned that I had to convert those lights into binary ones and zeros. Then, I had to change those digits to ASCII programming script. Yeesh! Other than that little adventure, the puzzles are head-scratchers without being so overwhelming. I highly recommend this game to anyone who's willing to feel a little stupid and awed at its awesome complexity. Expand
  20. May 7, 2013
    at first, before they updated this game, it wouldn't run. once this issue was fixed, i found myself drawn into this universe of 2d and 3d. the graphics are beautiful and the environments make this game beautiful. i told myself i would play 20 minutes of it then stop, then 2 hours passed and i realized that i had gotten pulled in. this game is almost perfect. the only thing i would changeat first, before they updated this game, it wouldn't run. once this issue was fixed, i found myself drawn into this universe of 2d and 3d. the graphics are beautiful and the environments make this game beautiful. i told myself i would play 20 minutes of it then stop, then 2 hours passed and i realized that i had gotten pulled in. this game is almost perfect. the only thing i would change is the addition of fall damage, which sometimes makes a small fall kill you. Expand
  21. May 12, 2013
    Firstly let me say that I have never written a metacritic review before, but I love this game so much that it physically hurts, and I just had to let other people know that. I'm an 80s and 90s kid mostly, and this game really took me back to the likes of Super Mario 64, and the Legend of Zelda series in it's ethos and gameplay style.

Firstly it is necessary to say that it is quite a

Firstly it is necessary to say that it is quite a smart game, and that might scare some people. There is thinking required to even reach the end of the game, let alone to 100% it so in that sense I can understand your average Call of Duty robot being put off by this. However what I will say is that this is hands-down the most faithful representation of those old platforming games you used to love, reproduced in beautiful and often pretty trippy 8-bit graphics. Furthermore, this is a game with depth I was able to re-explore areas I had already 'finished' when I learnt some of the game's later secrets. As a result, you feel like you know the layout of the world very well by the end, which add a really memorable character to the overall experience.

In short, if you like your games intelligent, thoughtfully designed, and completely absorbing, then you owe it to yourself to play this game. It's not a game which will last you for months and months, but it is an absolutely unforgettable and charming experience. Don't be put off by the people who are angry because they had to use their brain to play the game, or who had unfortunate technical issues and couldn't see past this. Many more people than that have had no issues, and have been impressed with this game as I have. This one really is not to be missed.
  22. May 6, 2013
    Fun and pretty, with nice music. Fez ran very stably for me on 3-year-old hardware. I enjoyed going beyond the regular gameplay to figure out the embedded puzzles in NewGame+ mode. Fez gives back what you choose to invest in it, which is very refreshing for a modern game. I give it 9 and not 10 because at its most basic level, before deciphering any of the in-game language, there isn'tFun and pretty, with nice music. Fez ran very stably for me on 3-year-old hardware. I enjoyed going beyond the regular gameplay to figure out the embedded puzzles in NewGame+ mode. Fez gives back what you choose to invest in it, which is very refreshing for a modern game. I give it 9 and not 10 because at its most basic level, before deciphering any of the in-game language, there isn't much driving you forward except the desire to explore new pretty areas. Expand
  23. May 14, 2013
    I didn't get sucked in by the hype. This game is great. Music, retro graphics, puzzles... I haven't played anything this fun in ages. I bought the soundtrack and remix soundtracks for it too the music is a cracker.

If you've got $10, spend it on this and make up your own mind. Some gonna love it, some not; it's maybe not serious enough for the "pro's", but if you want a fun platformer with buckets of style, this will make you ooh, aah and giggle in equal measure.

Oh, and it can be damn frustrating. Just before you solve that next piece of the puzzle...

Well done, Polytron. More please.
  24. May 2, 2013
    The game is simply amazing. I don't really care what Phil Fish says the thing is he made a masterpiece here. I really don't know how he figured out all the level designs by himself, but it works so well and so cleverly. Anyway, stop whining about his statements, and buy this game. The art design, the puzzles, and oh, the amazing soundtrack all make for one of the best indie games everThe game is simply amazing. I don't really care what Phil Fish says the thing is he made a masterpiece here. I really don't know how he figured out all the level designs by himself, but it works so well and so cleverly. Anyway, stop whining about his statements, and buy this game. The art design, the puzzles, and oh, the amazing soundtrack all make for one of the best indie games ever made. There are some bugs and crashes, but hey one guy did the art and the puzzles, and the other guy did the programming. I think we can forgive them, especially when this is their first PC project. Expand
  25. May 8, 2013
    Not a single technical problem encountered. Enjoyed the game from start to finish.

This game reminded me some golden memories from the past and yet brought enough new to me. Unique mechanic idea that doesn't get boring as the levels evolve and improve from time to time. Immersive and beautifully crafted world to explore, interesting puzzles and secrets to dis-cover. With enough fun,

Unique mechanic idea that doesn't get boring as the levels evolve and improve from time to time. Immersive and beautifully crafted world to explore, interesting puzzles and secrets to dis-cover. With enough fun, mystery and replayability, the game manages to live up to all the 'noise' around it that we've been hearing for five years.

Congrats Polytron.
  26. Jun 16, 2013
    Its a very good game.It has a cool ending. And gameplay is good but it is prety bland and not revoliutionery but good the game fun to play and is very interesting and even creative at some times. final verdickt is good job if you can do any better youl get tens all around.
  27. Aug 1, 2013
    Amazing synthesis of platformer and puzzle game. Fun, challenging, beautiful. It was a long time since game forced me to write down encrypted messages to decode them. And I liked it!
  28. Sep 29, 2013
    I believe this game is by far the greatest indie platform title ive ever played.it brings back arcade style games and stunned me in detailed maps and warp gates.if you ever want to play an indie game then this is it.
  29. Dec 6, 2013
    Sometimes it's very hard, yes... but the atmosphere and the 8-bit graphics are fantastic! il liked it very much! i know that this review is useless but i'm useless too so i wrote it. daah! just kidding! i'm a spaceship!
  30. May 19, 2014
    Excellent, clever game, that gets more poor user reviews than it deserves because people are butthurt and extraordinarily whiny over comments the developer made.

In the end, the developer is a jackass, and a loudmouth idiot. But he's a dedicated loudmouth idiot, who put together a really profoundly clever and inventive platformer, that is a game you should play. If you can't separate the two issues, you're going to miss out on something great.

Here's hoping the cretinous moron goes on to make many more really clever games.
  31. May 1, 2013

1. Jun 23, 2013
    A masterpiece by any measure. [July 2013, p.89]
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A gorgeous puzzle-platformer that's both a treat for the eyes and a thorough workout for the mind. [July 2013, p.82]
    The variation of the broken-down elements of the game is such that, if you miss two or three of the dozens of screens of the game, you will have missed on something special and unique. [June 2013]