Fieldrunners 2 PC

7.4

1. Feb 11, 2013
    The Game itself is fine, The Graphics are Quite Ok for a Tower Game, it can prove Challenging and seeing that there was a new TD Game i got pretty excited, for nothing as i must now say.
    The Game itself is to simple, the towers are just upgraded based on Damage and are not much different in the way they attack. The game gives you nothing new and the looks, while Beautiful have not much Charm.
    The towers targeting is the worst ive ever seen Especially for the Slow Tower).
    If this would be free i would have rated it a bit higher, but since this costs 10€ and there are way better Tower Defense Games that are Free (Bloons TD5(Marvellous!), SAS TD(both from Ninjakiwi)) and have more individuality.
    In short: while i may say a lot of Negative stuff, the Games is nice to play and give you some fun over a few hours but it is just barely average, and considering how many free good TD's are out there that rating might even be to High, and i wouldn't suggest it to big TD fans.
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    At first you think this is just another generic TD game but it actually does offer some new additions to the genre. The game has different modes, some are survivor, some are timetrails and there are even puzzle levels, which gives the game a pretty varied feeling. Nice design on the towers, enemies and powerups, very fun. But there are some flaws, like the system for purchasing items toAt first you think this is just another generic TD game but it actually does offer some new additions to the genre. The game has different modes, some are survivor, some are timetrails and there are even puzzle levels, which gives the game a pretty varied feeling. Nice design on the towers, enemies and powerups, very fun. But there are some flaws, like the system for purchasing items to use, the coins you get thru completing levels is pretty slim and does not scale well with the prices in the shop. You can tweet the game or like their FB page for some "free" coins, but this just makes me feel like im playing some "f2p" TD on my phone and not a PC title. Also the levels are a bit to hard, even on the easiest difficulty the enemies become "bullet spunges" really fast, challenging but in a very frustrating way. But hey it's a pretty cheap game so i guess you get what you pay for. Expand
  3. Jan 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners 2 is a very good tower game, very challenging, fun and beautiful with various "weapon". But you have to unlock some special towers with coins, some of them cost more than 3 000 coins and you only gain something like 200 coins by map. This is damn too slow. With 30 hour of game i have unlocked only 2 "coins tower"...
  4. Jan 26, 2013
    When writting a "review" I think the first thing is to be honest.
    So, yeah, the first couple of hours are fun.
    But after 4 hours this game is boring, the towers are to "simple" for some and totally useless for som others : "railgun", really ? It's just an useless "sniper". Flame thrower ? Useless too... Unlocking towers is boring and too expensive to make any point : you must replay
    When writting a "review" I think the first thing is to be honest.
    So, yeah, the first couple of hours are fun.
    Unlocking towers is boring and too expensive to make any point : you must replay every maps a dozen of time to get enough "coins" for a single high tower...
    The only god point is the different style of maps : classic, time trial and survival.
    And ths most boring thing : the ESCAPE KEY !! FFS !!! Why using this key to exit the game (and each time with a anoying alamr sound and a box to cancel wlicking on a red cross) ??? "Escape" means "Cancel" ! Not "ALT+F4" !!!
    Have you ever see an application when you press "Esc" it exit ???
    An other boring thing : all people on Earth are not ENGLISH PEOPLE !!! Why forcing the use of a QWZERY layout ??? WIth that you can't use 1 2 3 to select a tower ! Perhaps it's even more boring that the Esc key...
    At last : there is not even real bosses !!! o_O
    So, yes, the game is only 10
  5. Jan 26, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of tower defense games and decided to pick this up on Steam. I hadn't played the first one.

It's a very polished game with high production values. The initial progression of unlocking towers is pretty fun, and the variety of map types is nice. The game isn't very balanced, though, so there isn't much strategy once you figure out the one way you can keep winning. Many of the towers are useless, and you'll find yourself sticking to a select few regardless of the game type or map layout. It takes ages to get enough coin to unlock additional towers, and by the time you've played enough to buy a couple of them there isn't much motivation to keep playing to get the rest.

It's missing features that would provide depth that are present in many other TD games - targeting priority, for instance. You can't tell your towers to focus on certain types of targets (usually - first, last, strongest are options) so you have to sit there hoping your better towers don't waste time shooting infantry when a strong helicopter is flying past them to the exit.

It also feels like it's trying way too hard to have personality in the loading screen messages when that doesn't carry over into the game at all.

I don't regret buying it (I ended up spending 20 hours on it before getting tired of it, and at $10 that isn't that bad) but I feel like it could have been much more.
  6. Feb 25, 2013
    Pretty good game, but the social media BS punishes players. This is a solid, fun tower defense game. Much like other TD games, it extends the longevity of the game with hard/expert modes. And that is where this game frustrates miserably. And in the worst scumbag way. In order to unlock the most powerful towers, very much needed to beat the game, you have to "like" or "tweet" the game,Pretty good game, but the social media BS punishes players. This is a solid, fun tower defense game. Much like other TD games, it extends the longevity of the game with hard/expert modes. And that is where this game frustrates miserably. And in the worst scumbag way. In order to unlock the most powerful towers, very much needed to beat the game, you have to "like" or "tweet" the game, or even... give it a metacritic review.

This represents the worst kind of game distribution. I hate to be melodramatic, but I've rarely stumbled upon a game I PAID FOR that punished me for not using free to play mechanics. It's bad because honestly, had the game not included the three star difficulty I would have not noticed. But the clear attempts to manipulate and nearly extort players have turned me off to subatomic studios going forward.
  7. Jan 26, 2013

1. PC Gamer UK
    Mar 30, 2013
    Beguiles with its military polish and visual appeal. [Apr 2013, p.85]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners 2 is one of the best tower defense on the market: fun, nice to play and challenging. However, the PC version in no way justifies the price, very high for a product too similar to version for mobile devices.
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners is a great game that offers more Tower Defense fun, challenges and puzzles. The game looks great and the soundtrack is wonderful. You can drown for hours in this game.