7.5

1. Oct 24, 2013
    Amazing driving/vehicle combat game, with great graphics, more accessible gameplay, increased number of cars and drivers and fantastic online multiplayer. Perfect!
  2. Jan 19, 2012
    Tastes great! Less filling! FlatOut:UC put the fun back into racing games. I don't dislike games like NFS or Grid, but sometimes the excessive attempts at realism get in the way of just enjoying the race. Ironically, the reduced realism in FO:UC actually makes the game FEEL more realistic. When you drive a real car, you feel the G-forces with your entire body and you feel the resistance on the tires right through the gas pedal and the steering wheel. You adjust before the car starts drifting. Even with force feedback devices, you just don't get this kind of feedback in a racing game, so those other "realistic" games that make your car drift because you sneezed simulate the physics of the car, but they fail to simulate the reality of driving. FlatOut:UC doesn't have wild, uncontrollable drift unless you do something truly stupid, so the car reacts as it would if you were driving and not sitting behind an oversensitive plastic controller. It's very satisfying. By the way, the official line is "Steering Wheels are not supported with Flatout Ultimate Carnage. Keyboard and controller support only." Well, I play it with a Logitech Driving Force steering wheel, and it works better than with any other game I have! The game plays very nicely with a game pad, but it's just amazing with the steering wheel. The tension is just right and it really feels like driving at high speeds. Also, you may read in the specs that "XBOX 360 Controller is preset and cannot be re-configured regarding the control options." That's true, but if you have another type of controller that emulates the XBox 360 controller, like the Logitech Rumble Gamepad, you have complete control over what every button does. In fact, it's the game that I've found the easiest to set up with various controller devices. I've tried it also with a Thrustmaster HOTAS, but aside from the stick and throttle being more comfortable, I didn't have better control over the car than with the gamepad. Neither compares to how perfectly the game runs with the steering wheel it isn't supposed to support. The game itself probably deserves a full 9, but it loses a point for shoving Games for Windows Live down our throats. Expand
  3. Jan 18, 2012
    Horrifying music that would make you want to cut your ears off, fry them to a crisp and eat them (so the crunch would drown out the noise and the taste would hopefully make you forget you ever heard it). But otherwise FlatOut UC is a really fun arcade racing game for those of us who just want to have plain old fun and smash up cars. Runs pretty smoothly and the graphics are alright considering its origin. Sure, it's a port that could have done withe some more improvement, but don't let that hold you back. Personally I never played a FlatOut game before, but I can see where a game like Burn Out Paradise must have gotten its inspiration from. Good fun. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2011
    We are in 2011 and Flatout: Ultimate Carnage still is the best racing game !!!! Fantastic gameplay, graphics, destruiction and more important: very funny. We need a sequel!!
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    FlatOut is a truly under-rated series. Crashing and wrecking action is hell a lot of fun and satisfying. It's probably the only series out-there where you can strategically wreck your opponents to win instead of trying to finish first all the time. BurnOut is nothing compared to FlatOut in this department. FlatOut 2 is good, FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage, with all its graphical and gameplay improvement is truly great. I'd wholeheartedly recommend any action racing fan to try out this, it's the best in business. Expand
  6. Oct 29, 2011
    I recently purchased GRID from Steam and I got frustrated primarily from the car handling after 15 minutes. FlatOut is a new game for me as I'm not typically into car games as much as FPS. I haven't played earlier titles so I can't say if it's improved over them, but what I CAN say is that this game totally rocks if you're a casual gamer like me who just wants to race around various courses (cities, forests, canals, etc.) without having to learn all about car setups and stuff. It has capabilities of improving your rides, but the game is fun even with the base car. For other reviewers out there, please rank this game where it belongs .. not simply because it doesn't offer as many changes as you expected from a previous version. The only potential negative I can say about this game is that it requires Windows Live which I have never liked. But the game itself is really fun and it'll be the game I turn to when I want to race around and let off steam. Expand
  7. May 29, 2011
    If you're looking for a realistic racing sim, stop reading and find another game. Flatout is all about the ridiculous arcade type experience, incentivizing ridiculous ramp jumps, smashing scenery, and crashing into other players by giving a boost of nitro every time.

The result is ridiculous, fast, destructive, and nothing at all like a serious driving game, and that's what's so
    appealing.

It's not without some flaws -- This is clearly a port from a console and without a whole lot of work to fix it up for PC, but for the most part the leftovers from console are tolerable. The soundtrack is dumb D-list nu-metal garbage, and the camera isn't always friendly, especially if you're driving one of the bigger vehicles which can block your view of the road. But overall it's good fun. Pick it up next time it's on sale.
  8. May 29, 2011

appealing.

1. Not a new game, but certainly looks like one. It's a great ride, but if you've seen it before, you've seen it all before. [Aug 2008, p.104]
  2. The single-player Career won't take all that long to complete, but with a hugely entertaining multiplayer mode both on and offline, there's a good chance you'll continue playing for a while after.
  3. More fun than 50 Formula One races, with or without Nazi-themed S&M. [Sept 2008, p.71]