8.8

1. Jan 24, 2012
    Having spent far more hours playing this game than I probably should have I still have a craving to play through the single player campaign for a third time. Massive universe, great story, seamless controls, fantastic soundtrack.

I'm yet to get anywhere near as much enjoyment out of a game of the same genre as Freelancer. Needs a sequel.
  2. Mar 12, 2012
    My favourite space sim of all time. Huge universe to explore, dark, immersive atmosphere and a captivating storyline. Sure, it has its flaws - the freeplay after finishing the story is extremely repetitive, for example - but Freelancer is an incredible game that's aged beautifully.
  3. May 29, 2013
    One of my favourite PC games of all time. The atmosphere is great, you really feel free in space and there is a lot to discover. There are many planets and space stations with different ships, weapons and goods for different prices. Opposing parties fight with each other as well as pirates with industrialists. It's the player's decision how he wants to play the game. You can try to findOne of my favourite PC games of all time. The atmosphere is great, you really feel free in space and there is a lot to discover. There are many planets and space stations with different ships, weapons and goods for different prices. Opposing parties fight with each other as well as pirates with industrialists. It's the player's decision how he wants to play the game. You can try to find freighters with rare goods to get their loot or you buy your owen frighter yourself and trade. It doesn't get boring for a long long time. I'm looking forward for a new game like Freelancer! Expand
  4. Nov 1, 2010
    While this game was very innovative back in 2003, with it's realitme NPC conversations and well built multiplayer support, only today we can see some of it's major flaws. The lack of variety for such a game is rather amazing, which really becomes noticeable in both singleplayer and multiplayer missions, which are exactly a handful of Go-There-And-Kill-Target sequences. However, this is aWhile this game was very innovative back in 2003, with it's realitme NPC conversations and well built multiplayer support, only today we can see some of it's major flaws. The lack of variety for such a game is rather amazing, which really becomes noticeable in both singleplayer and multiplayer missions, which are exactly a handful of Go-There-And-Kill-Target sequences. However, this is a very targeted game for third party modders, and with titles like the Discovery Mod, Shattered worlds, Monkey Universe, Flack and others, one might wonder if the Microsoft corp would finally make the game's source code public to enhance the experience of a 2003 game, which is still favored by a wide variety of players even now.

The game's best features is it's very simple, arcade-like control system, which allows new players to quickly master the movement of their ships, something not a lot of arcade games can boast about. Obviously calling Freelancer a space sim is rather odd, the odd scaling of ships and stations vs planets, lack of gravity, very odd distance measurement and broken physics give this game a clear arcade feel to it. An arcade game, which can keep you amused for a very long time.
  5. Oct 9, 2010
    One of my favorites for the PC- an engaging single-player storyline, incredible scenery, and a soundtrack that really brings you out into the Freelancer universe. While the free-play mode could use one or two more notches of depth, the online multiplayer was unique and the simple controls let you hit the ground running. This game's shortcomings didn't stop me from falling in love with it,One of my favorites for the PC- an engaging single-player storyline, incredible scenery, and a soundtrack that really brings you out into the Freelancer universe. While the free-play mode could use one or two more notches of depth, the online multiplayer was unique and the simple controls let you hit the ground running. This game's shortcomings didn't stop me from falling in love with it, and i still play it from time to time. Collapse
  6. Aug 5, 2012
    Okay, so let me start by saying that I like this game. It has nice graphics (for it's day) and a good story. But that's it for the good stuff however. Some would say that's enough but it really is not. The gameplay is linear to an extent that won't bother you the first time you play the game but afterwards it will stick out like a sore thumb. After the story ends most have seen maybe 10 %Okay, so let me start by saying that I like this game. It has nice graphics (for it's day) and a good story. But that's it for the good stuff however. Some would say that's enough but it really is not. The gameplay is linear to an extent that won't bother you the first time you play the game but afterwards it will stick out like a sore thumb. After the story ends most have seen maybe 10 % of the worlds that are available in the game Expand
  7. Sep 21, 2013
    Game that's been in development for years but never really finished the way it would satisfy most of us. Amazing and unique game.This game is still active on some servers, but mainly on the Discovery server through the awesome mod of Discovery Freelancer. It is a whole new game within itself created for the purpose of roleplay on multiplayer servers and which is by far one of the bestGame that's been in development for years but never really finished the way it would satisfy most of us. Amazing and unique game.This game is still active on some servers, but mainly on the Discovery server through the awesome mod of Discovery Freelancer. It is a whole new game within itself created for the purpose of roleplay on multiplayer servers and which is by far one of the best games I've played so far. It's a mod of the entire Sirius sector filled with awesome systems and factions. Excellently balanced in ships, strategic position with resources, commodities on the market and weapons. It is amazing. Not many people are playing it but there is always at least 100 people constantly online. If you ever try it then you must visit Gallia space, and then Nomad space. Expand
  8. Apr 18, 2014
    Fast, accessible and most importantly a lot of fun.

I've spent a lot of hours in this game - mostly in multiplayer with friends but the single player campaign is well written with plenty of twists and turns. Graphically the game still looks polished - I remember being blown away when I first saw it and they still look crisp and clear today - albeit with fewer effects you would expect
    Fast, accessible and most importantly a lot of fun.

Graphically the game still looks polished - I remember being blown away when I first saw it and they still look crisp and clear today - albeit with fewer effects you would expect of games today. Let's remember it's over 10 years old.

I recently saw star citizen and thought I'd dust my old copy of Freelancer down. I've just completed the single player campaign (for the third time) and am very pleased there's a handful of mods that take this further.

In short one of my favourites overall and by far the best for this genre in my opinion. Can't wait for Star Citizen!
  9. Apr 9, 2015
    I owned and played this many years ago, when it was first released. Just a quick review to say play it if you have an older PC or not a gaming PC. Most modern systems with something like intel CPU on-chip graphics should run it.

Brilliant from the sci-fi perspective, it delivered great space effects and battles. The visiting stations was a little simple, when you chatted to quest-givers. E.g if you meet someone in a bar that wants some salvage collecting.

Other than that it's a great game. The ships, and upgrading ships is all cool. Buying new ship weapons and trying them out is always fun. If they re-made this I would buy it again without hesitation. Having said that I think it is perfectly playable in its original release.
  10. Oct 21, 2013
    A beautiful game spoiled only by the microscopically tiny star systems (with planets sitting on top of each other) and the repetitive nature of the combat missions. If you enjoyed Elite or Frontier, you'll love this game.
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    Incredible atmosphere and novel game design. They need to make another one of these with today's modern graphics! Most satisfying space emulator out there. Highly recommended.
  12. Dec 1, 2013
    I still play this game occasionally 10 years later.
    The criticisms about the limited scope of missions is true.
    I personally enjoyed the Level based storyline where you upgrade your ship to new ships. There's still an amazing amount of fan made mods and servers available to play on, which is pretty impressive so many years later. There's mods to update the drivers and screen sizes as
    I still play this game occasionally 10 years later.
    The criticisms about the limited scope of missions is true.

There's mods to update the drivers and screen sizes as well to wide screen which is really nice.
    On top of that updated textures and all sorts of stuff.
    It's still a worthy purchase all these years later.

I hope that Elite dangerous and/or Star citizen will trump it though.
  13. Oct 18, 2014
    If I die just now, I acclaim an achievement of my life; which started when I first have this game. Literally speaking, once you get the game, it'll probably be the best you've ever played. A lifetime worth!! Mind-blowing, staggering, authentic - the list can go on....

Don't believe me? Just start the game, just do!!!
  14. Oct 9, 2010

1. You'll be impressed by the graphics. They don't seem as jaw-dropping as they did three years ago, but they have held up nicely and allow for an astonishing number of different ships and other space objects onscreen at the same time, which makes for some very hectic battles.
  2. It is not the revolution in the space combat genre that many were hoping for, but it certainly is the next evolution.
  3. Freelancer isn’t just a game – it’s a way of life.