FTL: Faster Than Light PC

8.4

1. Oct 11, 2012
    Enjoyable rogue-like set in space. In particular I liked the pressure build up by the imminent risk of being overrun by the bad guys chasing you. Battles are fast paced, but can (and should) be paused anytime though. Game mechanics are very well thought true, though each play through depends heavily on luck - as in any given rogue-like I guess.
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    Faster Than Light is a real-time rogue-like game where you command a spaceship. I was initially very enthousiastic about the game but after having played for nearly 13 hours it is starting to become obvious to me that the outcome of this game is far too random and no matter how skilled you might be at this game, you can never recover from the strings of bad hands this game tends to dealFaster Than Light is a real-time rogue-like game where you command a spaceship. I was initially very enthousiastic about the game but after having played for nearly 13 hours it is starting to become obvious to me that the outcome of this game is far too random and no matter how skilled you might be at this game, you can never recover from the strings of bad hands this game tends to deal out. The random encounters also have such devastating outcomes that you will at some point simply play it safe and always choose the same answer. Most unlockable ships are far too difficult to unlock as the requirements for them may or may not be present during your game because of the randomisation. The player makes is on the run from the a hostile fleet and has to make it to his own fleet where by jumping from star beacon to star beacon. Most beacons offer an rpg-like text-choice with varying results and a lot of them make the player end up in combat where he is asked to distribute power, crew and firepower in order to defeat an enemy ship that will be doing the same. There are a variety of weapons available to the player in different forms and although it depends largely on what you will run into and what you can afford with the scrap you obtain from encounters, you will be developing different strategies depending on your load-out. For example; you could have a ship that focuses on releasing attack and boarding drones in order to incapacitate the ship without actually having any (or much) firepower on your ship. Or perhaps you will turn your ship into one that is highly agile and comes with a lot device-disabling weapons so that you can tear the enemy apart with slow-firing heavy lasers. The graphics are nothing to write home about but they're not bad either, the interface is very helpful and the music and sounds suit the atmosphere. I would recommend FTL but not at its current price with its current gameplay Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    It's a nice game with a beautiful soundtrack, that just happens to be surprisingly addictive. It's a difficult game, very difficult in fact I haven't been able to beat it on easy ONCE. I'm just not that persistent, and you can't save in the middle of your journey. It's pretty hardcore for a game that seems like such a peaceful quaint little game until you experience your first jump next toIt's a nice game with a beautiful soundtrack, that just happens to be surprisingly addictive. It's a difficult game, very difficult in fact I haven't been able to beat it on easy ONCE. I'm just not that persistent, and you can't save in the middle of your journey. It's pretty hardcore for a game that seems like such a peaceful quaint little game until you experience your first jump next to an active sun, or get boarded by a bunch of aliens that disable your oxygen and overpower any crewmembers you try to send in to fix it. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it, and even then you'll have a hard time just safely reaching the final sector.

If you want an addictive and fun challenge, buy this.
  4. Jan 12, 2013
    Its a 'good' game, I dont like the fact that you get completely wasted in so many unlucky moments, this game pretty much is based on luck, not on your strategy, its like those 'chose your own story' books, you dont know what will happen, and if its bad. But I payed 5 euro's and for that price its fine.
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    FTL is a roguelike spaceship management game that puts you in control of the ship and it's crew. The game is graphically old-school with pixel art and the interface and controls both work well. Problem is that FTL's appeal didn't last too long. Soon you have seen all possible encounters that the game can throw at you (note: mostly text based) and after learning the ropes it get's boring. IFTL is a roguelike spaceship management game that puts you in control of the ship and it's crew. The game is graphically old-school with pixel art and the interface and controls both work well. Problem is that FTL's appeal didn't last too long. Soon you have seen all possible encounters that the game can throw at you (note: mostly text based) and after learning the ropes it get's boring. I got close to 10 hours gametime before this happening so moneywise FTL is a decent purchase. All and all FTL is a good coffee break roguelike but a bit over hyped in my books. Expand
  6. Oct 5, 2012
    The game is fun if you want to kill time for maybe an hour or two, but chances are you'll probably be pounding your head after a number of losses due to a few unfair combinations all the while dealing with micromanaging repairs on the ship and killing fires and killing invaders. While the game is extremely well polished in terms of controls and music, the game gets lost in sometimesThe game is fun if you want to kill time for maybe an hour or two, but chances are you'll probably be pounding your head after a number of losses due to a few unfair combinations all the while dealing with micromanaging repairs on the ship and killing fires and killing invaders. While the game is extremely well polished in terms of controls and music, the game gets lost in sometimes terrible RNG and overcomplicated micromanagement that could've been simplified by rethinking the "crew" feature. Oh and by the way, each time you enter a zone, you have a fleet of elite rebels chasing you every step of the way, so you constantly feel like you're in a rush to move on to the next zone, which only gets progressively more difficult.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't want to have to keep spamming pause to input commands, I want the game to flow. FTL just doesn't do that for me.
  7. Mar 9, 2013
    A decent game ruined by the unfairness of the gambling based game play which more than often rolls the dice against you. After playing this game for about 30 hours just to beat it once on normal difficulty i have given up because, honestly, its almost impossible to beat the last boss on normal unless you are one lucky sun of a B, and receive every upgrade along the way without losing oneA decent game ruined by the unfairness of the gambling based game play which more than often rolls the dice against you. After playing this game for about 30 hours just to beat it once on normal difficulty i have given up because, honestly, its almost impossible to beat the last boss on normal unless you are one lucky sun of a B, and receive every upgrade along the way without losing one crew member and everything always goes perfect for you. For 5 10 dollars its a fun time killer (don't spend more money), but no where near an epic game. Expand
  8. Mar 14, 2013
    Fantastic for the first couple hours. Once you play through it once, pretty repetitive and incredibly luck based. One unlucky encounter early in the game and you've just wasted a bunch of time. Cool Concept, minimal content and difficulty design.
  9. Oct 12, 2012
    A good simple and fun game.
    Not too much depth, but still fun! Yay
  10. Sep 18, 2012
    If you're a familiar with the board game Galaxy Trucker, this game is basically a single player version PC port. If you liked the board game you'll probably like this as well even though it can be equally frustrating. The graphics are a matter of taste, personally I like them. The music is nice as well but gets a bit repetitive after a while. The UI and controls are well done. GameIf you're a familiar with the board game Galaxy Trucker, this game is basically a single player version PC port. If you liked the board game you'll probably like this as well even though it can be equally frustrating. The graphics are a matter of taste, personally I like them. The music is nice as well but gets a bit repetitive after a while. The UI and controls are well done. Game mechanics are simple and easy to learn but allow for varied strategies and challenging fights. Unfortunately it's too random and you're too dependent on simply being lucky and getting enough resources or good events. There will be encounters where you simply have no chance of survival. Also it has very limited content so after only a few times playing you will have seen everything. Could have used a possibility for constructing your own ships or maybe coop-multiplayer (It'd be perfect for this). Expand
  11. Sep 25, 2012
    It's a very interesting concept but after about 30 hours Its pretty obvious that the game really is in need for a wider range of events as the "random encounters" soon become predicable and even the choices you make seem to return the same outcomes (e.g. a ship offers to sell you a "mystery weapon" saying yes means you get ripped off nearly EVERY time (as in they don't give you anythingIt's a very interesting concept but after about 30 hours Its pretty obvious that the game really is in need for a wider range of events as the "random encounters" soon become predicable and even the choices you make seem to return the same outcomes (e.g. a ship offers to sell you a "mystery weapon" saying yes means you get ripped off nearly EVERY time (as in they don't give you anything let alone just a bad gun) while it would be more interesting if they gave you just one of the weapons at random. or trying to free a trapped ship will nearly always result in damage to your ship which basically encourages you to say no to everything.

It's a shame as it's a nice concept and it's written by a indie company of just 2 guys. I hope more content and patches comes soon.
  12. Apr 13, 2013
    Well, this game has obviously got mixed feelings about it, and well the game is wonderful at first +1, but unlike the haters that think that the game loses its greatness after 24 hours it is still a nice (other things are better) game. But there is a point where the fun ends, and that is when you have beat the game with every ship (guides help, but you shouldn't need to have a guide, -1Well, this game has obviously got mixed feelings about it, and well the game is wonderful at first +1, but unlike the haters that think that the game loses its greatness after 24 hours it is still a nice (other things are better) game. But there is a point where the fun ends, and that is when you have beat the game with every ship (guides help, but you shouldn't need to have a guide, -1 point) -1 point. The achievements are fun to get +1, it could use some steam badges -1, but its still fun to play. And at a decent price, well... whether you buy it is dependent on whether you like the games randomness which isn't THAT bad but bugs some people Expand
  13. Jan 14, 2013
    At second glance, this game is fun if you do not attach yourself to your achievements in individual games and instead look at this as a unique repeatable puzzle largely dependent upon chance.
  14. Sep 30, 2012
    Where is the fun after losing, and losing,and losing,and losing...so on, from brief periods of time?Somebody could explain to me?
    I don't have anything against indie games or people who liked them.For example limbo and zombie vs plants are good examples of very good indie games but in this case thiis game is just annoying to say the best.
    Can't complain about the graphics or the limited
    Can't complain about the graphics or the limited resources like music but you can't win on this game and there's no fun about that.Your first and probably only ship that you will play is pure garbage.And that couldn't be too much upgraded because game money and bonuses are as scarce as the chances to survive at least to achieve a new one.Whatever the case I unlocked another better than the stock and still surviving is very improbable for long periods of time.And to unlock another ships it's very odd as to like this game more than 3 days!If at least some upgrades where left on your inventory, to have more chances of surviving no matter how long to get them but no.Only ships very unreachable at very impossible chances to accomplish.I put all my effort to "enjoy" the game but I came after 2 half days that this game is a complete waste of time.Maybe 15 years ago this could be a huge success but today can only be enjoyed with alcohol or some drug!
  15. Jan 9, 2013
    Game is a real fail. Developer asked 10 000$, he got GOD DAMN 200 000$, and the game which he released doesn't cost even 500$. First of all it is just old alpha version for backers with a new name, developer stopped working long ago. It has a great lack of content and events, even some flash games are more diverse.
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    Game is too linear and lacks a lot of options. The game is extremely linear, the ONLY thing you do in the game is fight (you go from one fight to another) and it's a PC game that does not allow for rolling saves.

How "good" you are at the game is really based purely on luck. If you are lucky, you'll hit a bunch of weak enemies and you'll be able to roll through to the end of the game. If you are unlucky you'll die in the 2nd fight.
  17. Feb 19, 2014
    I enjoyed the game well enough the danger is very real in some play throughs as all you have is luck and your wits. The challenge of using what cards your dealt with and planning ahead kept me hooked

my favorite tactic was to board enemy ships, tear apart the crew and loot the place. the game gave me a very satisfying sense of accomplishment when I managed to take down a superior ship with some planning

but, my boarding strategy which works great throughout the game then totally flops on the boss (the only boss)
    where if you kill the crew the boss instantly gets 10x harder thanks to its "A.I." repairing everything

if the ship is that good on its own, why have a crew? why does a strategy that works everywhere not work here? seemed pretty lazy to me
    regardless I managed to beat the boss 2-3 play throughs later by leaving 1 crew member alive
    because that makes sense

like I said I liked the game just wish there was more to it, but with the free expansion coming out soon
    I'll probably be playing it religiously once again
  18. Oct 11, 2012
    The fanboys and haters are gonna give this game 10's and 0's , but I'll give this game what it deserves: a 7. That's right, a green score. Green is good, and in this case it is very good, but confusing... and that's because it's hard for me to say what type of game FTL is; the gameplay is unlike any other game I've ever played. It's sci-fi. It's strategy. It's roguelike. It's aThe fanboys and haters are gonna give this game 10's and 0's , but I'll give this game what it deserves: a 7. That's right, a green score. Green is good, and in this case it is very good, but confusing... and that's because it's hard for me to say what type of game FTL is; the gameplay is unlike any other game I've ever played. It's sci-fi. It's strategy. It's roguelike. It's a simulation. All true, though none of those over-arching titles actually quite cover it. My best attempt would be "it's a starship-strategy-set-in-a-procedurally-generated-galaxy-where-instead-of-controlling-the-attitude,-heading,-and-positioning-of-your-ship,-you-instead-manage-its-systems-and-crew-while-making-captain-level-decisions...simulator." (Whew, glad that's out of the way.) Maybe simply saying "it's a Jean-Luc Picard (or James T. Kirk, if you prefer) simulator" would more effectively get the point across? In other words, don't ask me to describe what FTL is because I can't fully answer that question in a way that makes sense; the game is just... cool. The strength of this seemingly simple game is it's surprising level of depth. As a playthrough progresses, you have full control over the customization of the ship's various systems and upgrades. When upgrading, you'll not be likely to max out every category (or even a couple, for that matter), and so you'll have to customize the ship around your play-style in order to see any real level of success. FTL does cater to different play-styles, except for one: diplomacy, which is more or less non-existent. Talking one's way out of a dispute not an option, so the main play-styles will revolve around combat. One could focus on offensive abilities, or defensive abilities. Thankfully, the game is deep in terms of customization, and therefore offence and defence have different branches. You might choose to focus on dodge instead of shielding, or boarding parties instead of heavy weaponry. The choice is yours... sort-of.

One fact to acknowledge is that it is unwise to start a new game of FTL with a certain strategy in mind, and then commanding your ship with "upgrade tunnel vision". The game is based around entirely random encounters; therefore, as a captain in FTL's universe, adaptation is a very good virtue. So. to all those who like to plan ahead, this game gives you all a one finger salut. Sure you can have an overall goal in mind, but the game is random: you get what you get and simply have to work around it. Or die. So when I say "the choice is yours" the choice I'm actually referring to is to work with what you can scrounge up, or to die trying. Whether this is a good feature of the game or a horrible imbalance is up to you to decide; it is what it is, and it does make each playthrough...interesting.

The crew command mechanism works great, as does the system and power management. Crew members gain proficiencies in various ship-stations and tasks over time. The crew can also take damage, so it can feel like a real setback when you lose tier 2 weapons specialist. Crew mortality serves to heighten the level of tension in battles, and even after battles in some cases. You could win a battle, but if your life support systems are knocked out, you could lose a crew member (or all of them) if you can't repair the oxygen generator in time.

There are a few weird quirks in the game. Crew members seem to be more like "crew statues" because they aren't affected by the ferocious blast of suction caused by a hull breach. No... no one can get sucked into space in this game, EVEN THOUGH there airlocks and hull breaches. Disappointing, I know! Enemy ships with higher levels of shielding can be VERY difficult to defeat without shield peircingmissile weapons or boarding parties. For that matter, why does my Heavy Ion with 2 ion damage only reduce my enemy's shields by 1 point!?

Ultimately, replayability with FTL is fairly limited. It is a casual game, and it is best to play it in casual doses; it's great if you got a little time to kill: 20 minutes here, half hour there. However, I found my interest in FTL easily burns out during multi-hour sessions.

The game's charm is the main draw; it's a game that doesn't tell you the stories. Sure it gives you objectives and side quests (and sometimes tells you that "you've arrived at the quest objective, yet there's nothing here... oops, sorry, maybe the quest giver remembered the coordinates wrong"), but you experience your own story, filled with adversity, strife, sorrow and success... okay, mainly adversity, strife and sorrow, but that is beside the point. It is these player-driven stories will keep you coming back for more Jean-Luc Picard-ing around. (yes I just used his name a verb).

I like this game, and I give it superb 7 out of 10.
  19. Nov 4, 2012
    FTL is a great space rougelike timesink.
    Amazing soundtrack, and nifty 2d grafics.
    Being a rougelike game, whit alot of random elements, it is a bit short. And after several playtroughs, i wish they would have added, a few more ships, weapons, augmentations, shiplayouts and equipment. A infinate gamemode would allso bring some longevity to the title. But all on all, this is a great
    FTL is a great space rougelike timesink.
    Amazing soundtrack, and nifty 2d grafics.
    A infinate gamemode would allso bring some longevity to the title.
    But all on all, this is a great casual game and is well worth the money.
  20. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    Well, it was a good game a few play throughs. I don't like how extremely difficult the end game boss is. Nearly impossible to defeat. It has so much randomness to it, yet it's almost always the same. You fly a ship multiple locations, buy things, get to the end game boss to have your arse kicked, cooked, handed to you, and forced down your throat, then you're blown up. A recent updateWell, it was a good game a few play throughs. I don't like how extremely difficult the end game boss is. Nearly impossible to defeat. It has so much randomness to it, yet it's almost always the same. You fly a ship multiple locations, buy things, get to the end game boss to have your arse kicked, cooked, handed to you, and forced down your throat, then you're blown up. A recent update added some new things which made the game more interesting for a while, but really, it's still pretty much the same old same old. It might be worth it though, if you like rogue like games with randomness to them. At least it wasn't terrible. I say I think it was worth getting, just isn't as fun as I had hoped it would be. Expand
  21. Aug 30, 2013
    This is a really cool idea. You control a ship with crew and need to make it to the rebel fleet far, far away. Its a point and click so you dont actually navigate your ship and there are several ships to choose from but only one to start with. The rest you have to unlock. The ship has rooms controlling oxygen, surveillance, weapons, shields and engine. These can be upgraded along with someThis is a really cool idea. You control a ship with crew and need to make it to the rebel fleet far, far away. Its a point and click so you dont actually navigate your ship and there are several ships to choose from but only one to start with. The rest you have to unlock. The ship has rooms controlling oxygen, surveillance, weapons, shields and engine. These can be upgraded along with some other things. To upgrade you use "scrap" which is this sci-fi's currency. There also shops on the randomized starmap in which you can buy unique upgrades for your ship along with crew-members, weapons and more. These shops will be crucial for repairing your ship. Thats how you die btw. Your ship braking. The events that happen on the starmap is randomized and quite cool. There are a few short quests, traps, battles and if your lucky you come upon scrap freely given away!

What this game lacks imo is more content. There are only so many events that can happen when you move around in space and after a few hours you have seen them all. I dont have much more to say about the game that is negative but its big enough for me. It makes it repetetive and i find myself not reading what happens in the text screen cause it dont really matter. Just click ahead and fight or accept whatever happens. I beat the game once on normal and unlocked 2-3 ships and thats about how much i played it. The music is kind of cool too. Anyway its a good game but it could have been so much more.
  22. Jan 20, 2014
    I love these kinds of games, but there is always a certain amount of respect for the user when it comes to the production of a product like this. First the cons
    The difficulty being stuck at what arguably could be called hard, and wtf am I doing with my life shows a massive lack of respect for the user. The point of a game is to be enjoyable, and allow a certain amount of freedom for the user to branch out in the game.
    2.) User restrictions on power usage, event generation, or allowing the user any kind of sector preplanning being used as leverage for a higher difficulty are my biggest concerns. because they constrict your ability to play to the point that as both a software engineer, and gamer. Some of these details aren't really big details , and they will make the game easier. if included However, they're also the small details that,from the outside, make a game look polished, and the lack there of makes me wish i had a hard copy to return.

Alright now that i had a chance to point that out I'll point out the pros.

Overall, I have spent some time to master this game, and get past the first boss stage. This game is beat-able, and I have found that the premise, construction, and function of the game enjoyable. The constrictive play is obnoxious, but easily avoidable like all early games from my childhood that have a random number generator as the focus of the players outcome "spam restart."

CONCLUSION: Other than the pile of small details I'd love to backhand someone for... This is a good game, and could be an awesome game for me if I didn't feel like the kings virgin daughter with a chastity belt on all the time... I would love to say this game is worth the cost, but at 20$ not on sale from steam and I'm still the virgin princess throughout? Then I'd have to say to me this games is a low five. Fix some things, and polish a few more this is an easy 9.2.
  23. Aug 30, 2014
    FTL: Faster than light tasks the player with running a space ship as you travel through uncharted space. Along the way randomised events, usually battles against other ships, occur which can often be quite a challenge to survive. Like most rouge-likes death is quite literally the end and should your ship be destroyed or crew killed you have no other option but to start over (and trust meFTL: Faster than light tasks the player with running a space ship as you travel through uncharted space. Along the way randomised events, usually battles against other ships, occur which can often be quite a challenge to survive. Like most rouge-likes death is quite literally the end and should your ship be destroyed or crew killed you have no other option but to start over (and trust me that will happen a lot!)

What at first glance may seem to be quite a simple game soon reveals a fair amount of depth with all aspects of the ship from the crew, to the weapons to the shields needing to be managed and, when possible, upgraded. To be honest the random nature of events, combined with the perma-death, can be a little frustrating when you see hours of hard work quite literally going up in smoke but FTLs addictive gameplay will ensure most keep coming back for just one more try.
  24. Dec 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FTL is essentially a ship management game with a strong battle minigame and a weak set of non-combat encounters. All the non-combats are either "choice adventures" with 2 or 3 choices, or something simply happens automatically in some cases. Compared to the difficulty of writing a paragraph of text and putting it into a data file, there aren't too many non-combat encounters, and you'll start to see many of the same ones after playing through the game a few times (which you will, since this is a permadeath game). The combats are pretty well done, but the final boss requires such specific tactics to beat that you have to build your ship as you go towards just beating the final boss, so you end up drifting towards the same tactics even though the game claims to have several paths to victory.

The real killer to this game is that the final boss just comes out of nowhere, has 3 super hard stages to it, and it kills you quickly unless you're specifically planning for it. Even then, you need a little luck to find the right setup, and to have gotten enough scrap to level up your ship enough. Perhaps the expansion will add enough to this game to bring it higher, but until then the game is just kinda average on the whole.
  25. Oct 5, 2012
    This is a great game, but it leaves me wanting more. I want more in one play-through. The scrap resource is too precious. I find it hard to balance between offense and defense. If your primary means of offense uses either missiles or drones, good luck. I find that stores are a little too sparse and the drone parts and missiles to be too expensive. So basically, unless you're either reallyThis is a great game, but it leaves me wanting more. I want more in one play-through. The scrap resource is too precious. I find it hard to balance between offense and defense. If your primary means of offense uses either missiles or drones, good luck. I find that stores are a little too sparse and the drone parts and missiles to be too expensive. So basically, unless you're either really lucky or like blowing all of your cash on drones (which easily get blown up in asteroid fields) and missiles, then it leaves you with the laser/beam/ion type cannons which are great. I did, however, find myself getting very excited during a crisis: pause! command units! aim weapons! resume game! Phew, fires are all out and the invaders on my ship are dispatched... Time to go blow all my cash on drones and repairs. Expand
  26. Feb 1, 2013
    The thing about randomness in core gameplay mechanics is that you are essentially gambling, while there is always a luck factor in other games, here its everything. The events that you run into are random at each planet, the problem is so is the result. Theres no thinking things through because theres no way to predict what will happen. You can have the finest tactical mind on Earth whoThe thing about randomness in core gameplay mechanics is that you are essentially gambling, while there is always a luck factor in other games, here its everything. The events that you run into are random at each planet, the problem is so is the result. Theres no thinking things through because theres no way to predict what will happen. You can have the finest tactical mind on Earth who knows to fire a beam weapon across six different rooms in the split second after the last shield goes down, but lady luck provides the opportunity to get a beam, then you're stuck flicking ion pulses at 4-shielded ships. I've always had a problem with any game mechanic the player is powerless to influence. So you can't pretend to play as Captain Pickard who has to find ways to get around situations by diplomacy or other smart alternative ways.
    Even just the addition of a "luck" stat that can be influenced with upgrades or pickups would at least give a slight edge on which an informed decision can be made. So would hints as to what someone is planning when you speak to them. The addition of more diplomacy options or even a graphic representation of the person your talking to would do wonders for the "thinkers" out there.

I had a similar problem with XCOM along these lines, but in that case I was being asked to make a much bigger investment. Playing through the campaign and gradually building up your capability is a far longer operation and while randomly UFOs appearing or not appearing does dictate what you do, but not your progress! You are always building, upgrading or researching new equipment... while a game of FTL might last about an hour due to a lack of depth, balance issues and progress thats way to fast or way to slow. Randomness I can tolerate better in the shorter Roguelike style of game, but in longer games it can't be the 100% determining factor.
  27. May 28, 2013
    If it wasn't for the horrible, horrible balance issues, I would give this game a 10.

The game is fun, but be prepared for hours and hours of aggravation. If you can handle losing an entire hour of play, your beautiful high powered, well armed ship. Then this game won't faze you one bit and you'll play for days! Myself, I can't play more than once because I just can't bring up the

The game is fun, but be prepared for hours and hours of aggravation.

Myself, I can't play more than once because I just can't bring up the necessary willpower to start all over again.
  28. Oct 26, 2014
    At first I really hated this game. It seems really straightforward (as far as tactics/strategy), and yet random and unfair. The tutorial is extremely basic and doesn't really prepare you for how to play.

The biggest omission is that while the game happens in real-time, you can pause everything and coordinate multiple actions, and then un-pause to set them in motion. In fact, it's absolutely critical that you do. It's sort of a combination of real-time and turn-based.

You can play the game real-time but eventually it will throw a situation with four or five things going on and you'll get rolled. You're meant to pause everything, figure out the best counter-moves and then set everything in motion. Once you "get it", the game isn't nearly so frustrating.
  29. Jul 14, 2013
    The reviews for this game seem to be incredibly polarized. In my opinion, this game basically feels like The Oregon Trail in space with a larger amount of user control. That being said, therein lies the 'random' frustration that people experience; Even if you have been totally successful for the first hour of a play through, you may find yourself getting boarded by pirates, or a fire mightThe reviews for this game seem to be incredibly polarized. In my opinion, this game basically feels like The Oregon Trail in space with a larger amount of user control. That being said, therein lies the 'random' frustration that people experience; Even if you have been totally successful for the first hour of a play through, you may find yourself getting boarded by pirates, or a fire might spread to your oxygen tanks and everyone may die trying to repair it. The game seems complex at first, but once you are familiar with the interface it is fairly simple to play. You can certainly make decisions that will save your crew just as often as you can lose it all in a random encounter. If you get frustrated by perma-deaths (and sometimes a seemingly unfair death at that) you may want to consider another game. But if the concept of commanding a space ship through dangerous and uncharted territory, where consequences are always final ..give it a try.

While incredibly addictive, the game is still not a messiah among indie games.. the feeling of complexity in the game play wares off as you become more familiar with the interface, but certainly it is still worth a try.
  30. Apr 8, 2014
    An interesting game, but the final boss is really, whatever ship u'll have at the end, an unbalanced "pita".

Another point is the fact that luck (a lil less with last patch) is a too important part : it brings tactics and strategy to a secondary level, and doesnt reward ur carefully assembled setups...

Lets hope FTL2 will erase those defaults.
  31. May 26, 2014
    This is a great game for skilled gamers, or for a mediocre one like me that has TONS of time (which I don't have. maybe 2-3 hrs/wk to play). This makes it nearly impossible to play. there's really no way to come back to a "saved" game if you die or get close to it. so you have to start from scratch every time. I really don't mind the randomness that many complain about, i like theThis is a great game for skilled gamers, or for a mediocre one like me that has TONS of time (which I don't have. maybe 2-3 hrs/wk to play). This makes it nearly impossible to play. there's really no way to come back to a "saved" game if you die or get close to it. so you have to start from scratch every time. I really don't mind the randomness that many complain about, i like the difficulty it adds. however having to start completely over almost makes it very difficult to achieve much as you can put in a few hours playing only to get killed and have to start all over. This makes it monotonous fairly quickly. I've played this game for 17hrs on easy and only beaten it once (remember: I am not "skilled").

It would be nice to at least have a "checkpoint" or something to make some recovery of the time spent playing to build up a good ship, i sorta kinda regret the money i've spent on this game now

Other than this major flaw (for me) I think this is a fantastic game and I like the retro look and feel
  32. Nov 3, 2014
    Soundtrack: The soundtrack in this game is quite fitting. It uses techno music to put forth a feeling of being in a spaceship. The music itself isn’t distracting and allows the player to immerse himself into the game. However, after a while the music does get quite repetitive. 7/10

Gameplay: The gameplay for FTL is quite enjoyable as it allows the audience to feel like each decision matters. Each decision in the game comes with pros and cons and makes the player think about each decision they are about to make. Do I send in my crewmembers to help out another crew ship and risk them dying or do I go the safe route and get no reward though? Each decision matters in this game and eventually starts to stack up on the final stage of the game. However, the RNG (Random Number Generator) in this game can screw the player over without notice. Sometimes the game will produce scenarios where it is a lose lose situation over and over again until the player loses. Although this is rare within the game it is still very frustrating to deal with. Overall the gameplay is 8/10.
    Storyline: The storyline in the game is not very long, but is sufficient enough to portray what the game is trying to sell you. In the end though the games storyline feels irrelevant after a couple play through and is quite repetitive. 6/10

Graphics: Graphics in this game are highly pixelated, but this does not take away from the game nor does it add depth. This time graphic section is N/A.
  33. Apr 21, 2015
    At first this game feels like the game every sci-fi fan has been waiting for; command your own ship, crew, power usage and more just like on your favorite movies/TV shows. The combat system is also fun and the game feels like a fresh new idea, at first.

It's not surprising how this game has so many high scores(roughly 8, 9 and 10s) as this game is inviting and will quickly draw you in. However when the novelty begins to ware off, it's flaws become more and more noticeable.

FTL is very repetitive and you will find yourself grinding your way through the game. The game almost forces you to grind because if you don't get good enough gear before advancing to the next sector you will probably be greatly outmatched. It doesn't help either that, once you beat the game a couple of times, you will begin to notice the random events happening repeatedly and get a bit bored of them. The different ship layouts do help add variety however it's disappointing that there isn't even the option to design your own ship in the vanilla game. Each ship has an advantage and a disadvantage at the beginning of the game which means your playstyle is already greatly determined from the start of the game which is out of your control.

If you are the type of person that likes grinding, then FTL still has issues such as the dependence on the randomness of the game. For example, the way you play the game is greatly effected by what gear you can find in stores and random events will punish you for no apparent reason e.g. an event goes something like this: "you find a mysterious capsule with a life form inside it. Open the capsule? ... Yes ... one of you crew members got killed by the life form" WTF what sort of incapable crew am I leading? Who the f*** would get themselves killed like this? If I was opening the capsule I would get the f*** out of there as soon as possible or at least get a machine or something to open it for me. Anyway the game is filled with these frustrating events but these 2 problems aren't the biggest problems. Possibly the biggest problem with the randomness is a mechanic called "dodge". This is blatantly bad game design. It is very hard to execute any strategy when there is a chance that the strategy won't work, not because the AI anticipated your strategy and adapted like it should be, but because the game thought "sorry if I let you do that, things would be too easy" so instead makes you repeatedly try the same timing over and over again until it finally works and by which time the enemy has somehow got really lucky and screwed you over. This is one of the things that prompts many people to adopt strategies that don't involve dodge such as teleporters, cloaking or ... teleporters which seems to be one of the only viable (but admittedly fun) real strategies. The reason the game developers probably put dodge into the game is to make things more interesting, basically to hide underdeveloped strategies.

The AI in FTL is also very simplistic. It doesn't feel like you are fighting intelligent enemies which makes victories a bit hollow. You didn't win because you had more skill than the AI, you won because you had better gear/timing/luck (the AI is horrible at timing btw). Skill is a component in winning however it is too small of a factor in the game-play (think about videos you have watched about FTL, do you see any unique play-styles that can be used to beat a heavily stronger opponent? not really, everyone seems to play in an almost identical way imo). Because of the simple AI, enemy ships are buffed to greatly out-stat your own ship (e.g. the flagship). Unfortunately some of the only ways to beat the flagship are exploits that don't even make sense (e.g. killing everyone but one person because any captain of a star ship would obviously do that).

To conclude, FTL is worth the buy because of how cheap it is but don't expect anything spectacular out of this game.
  34. Sep 30, 2012
    Can't complain about the graphics or the limited

1. May 27, 2013
    Fulfill a sci-fi fantasy by becoming the Captain of your own starship! Don't expect great graphics, but do except to lose many hours to FTL and expect to lose your ship ... a lot.
    Kickstarter has accomplished its mission in this one, giving the opportunity to an original, non-mainstream title to go public and meet its well-deserved success. Especially for sci-fi fans, it’s a no-brainer; buy this game at once and live the life of a courageous pilot that only has one mission: survival. [November 2012]
  3. Nov 24, 2012