8.4

1. Dec 10, 2014
    This game is amazing, if you want to travel around in space, trying to rid the universe of rebels. You will fight human size mantises, rock creatures, and more. The areas you will travel are randomized, meaning unlocking some ships will be difficult. Luck is involved, but you will be fine getting enough scrap (currency) to upgrade your ship. Steam says I have been playing for 16 hours, andThis game is amazing, if you want to travel around in space, trying to rid the universe of rebels. You will fight human size mantises, rock creatures, and more. The areas you will travel are randomized, meaning unlocking some ships will be difficult. Luck is involved, but you will be fine getting enough scrap (currency) to upgrade your ship. Steam says I have been playing for 16 hours, and it's still fun. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2014
    Faster than light is the example of a perfect Rogue-Like game. It´s simple but very addictive. Combat is great and intense, it has a high quality music. Management of your ship (weapons, shields, crew) is perfect. Events are well written and interesting. It's well balanced and bug free. A perfect game for people who like short games.
    I've been playing this game and its last update for 2
    I've been playing this game and its last update for 2 years and I continue having a lot of fun with it. Another gem from kickstarter.
  3. Nov 23, 2014
    A well polished space rogue-like that has excellent replay value and the new content in the Advanced Edition update makes this game well worth your money.

The difficulty scales up as you go through the game, ending with a challenging and fulfilling boss fight. You have to prepare your ship and crew or you're not going to make it. Its top down presentation and pixelly graphics don't

Its top down presentation and pixelly graphics don't detract from the game, they're actually rather suitable, as most of the story in each playthrough is told via text boxes, and your decisions carry weight for you and your ship, do you try and help a colony but lose a crew member in the process? Can you synthesise a cure? Or do you leave them to their fate?

Single playthroughs of the game are short (approxmiately an hour depending on your play style, RNG luck and skill level) but the game can sucker you in to try again and again just to beat that boss/enemy.
  4. Nov 21, 2014
    I originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom ofI originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom of strategic gameplay if you wanted any measure of success in the late game made it a huge headache for a lot of old pc gamers like myself. We wanted to love it -- we simply could not.

Time has addressed most of my complaints, and I definitely love FTL today. Or perhaps to be more precise: Patches, the Advanced Edition version of the game, the Captain's Edition mod, Captain's Edition's addons, and several other key mods have addressed most of my complaints, and this combination is now what I love today -- not the game "FTL - Advanced Edition", but the gestalt that the community has created through modification. Finally, FINALLY, the game is what it should have been at release.

First of all, FTL+AE+CE+mods is just randomly, spontaneously fun now, even when you fail, and without removing the rogue-like level of difficulty. The game is still very difficult, even incredibly so, but largely through strategy and choices rather than arbitrary "haha you died" RNG events that took no account of what had been done in that particular game up to that point. You can still get crippled or killed in RNG events, but they're MUCH less arbitrary and annoying than they were in the original release, and as you get stronger you will actually feel the power increase and be able to handle situations that previously you thought were impossible (and in the original game, 999 times out of 1000, WERE impossible).

FTL+AE+CE is also more refined everywhere you look, with mistakes fixed, crashes addressed, and details improved, even moreso when you start piling on the mods. There are many more mods that I haven't even mentioned in this review (such as Better Planets and Backgrounds) that improve FTL tremendously, and you can (largely) mix and match the ones you want to get the experience that you want.

Another important point: with mods the game now has a much more expansive universe, with a lot more to see, do, and discover. Now each new new game genuinely feels much more random, spontaneous, and alive. It took me over 3 complete playthroughs (that ended in winning the game -- a death is not a playthrough, and I had many of those) to actually see all of the RNG events. This is well over 200 hours of playtime alone, and I still haven't seen all the possible outcomes/choices, just the actual events themselves. The choices and strategic options you have now, from crew composition all the way down to roleplaying the metagame in RNG events, are so much more expanded that comparisons with the original game are hardly even valid anymore.

In summary, the original release of FTL was promising, and with a lot of great ideas (and trance loops), it just wasn't a good game. FTL Advanced Edition + Captain's Edition + CE addons + your choice of further modding is INDEED the great game that FTL should have been. It's a pity that the mod community had to make FTL into a properly fun computer game, but I'm just glad that the community did it. If I could, I'd pay them instead of the developer, because they took something lacking structure, polish, features, depth, and overall quality, and made it simply fantastic. Thanks guys! You are one of the many reasons that PC will always be the #1 gaming platform.

One last thing: Buy this game on GOG and support the DRM-free Revolution. I did.
  5. Nov 3, 2014
    Possibly the best space indie game in a long time, probably history. The game will challenge you, your nerves and logical thinking. After a few hours, the game can get a bit repetitive, but the it shows you something more and the fun is back. I saw, I played, I did not win yet, but I'll work on it. If you like space, strategies and rogue-lite challenging games, you shouldn't miss this one.
  6. Oct 4, 2014
    First of all, addressing the complaining (most likely) younger generation gamers: no, I haven't only played the game for 2-3 hours. I put 120+ in, and still counting. This game is what I've been waiting for, and I didn't even know it. Reminds me of the golden age (which means the '90s for me) in terms of difficulty, atmosphere and replay value. Of course if you grew up on Halo, CoD and theFirst of all, addressing the complaining (most likely) younger generation gamers: no, I haven't only played the game for 2-3 hours. I put 120+ in, and still counting. This game is what I've been waiting for, and I didn't even know it. Reminds me of the golden age (which means the '90s for me) in terms of difficulty, atmosphere and replay value. Of course if you grew up on Halo, CoD and the likes, you won't value it. If you're a save-load-abusing kid, you won't value it. Yes, this game is not for everyone. But crying for the difficulty? Go and play your twelve-a-dozen railshooters which give you an achievment for shooting your weapon the first time.

p.s. forgot to mention the AMAZING soundtrack. Ever noticed games these days don't really have a memorable soundtrack? It's either some overused orchestral wannabe-epic background track, or just some ambient whooo-lookatme-im-event-activated foolishness.
  7. Sep 12, 2014
    FTL is the type of game that I felt a Star Trek type game should be, but never was. You have many alien races, engines, shields, weapons, teleporters, med bay, warp core systems and a crew working to maintain those systems or board enemy ships to try and complete your mission. Needless to say, it's very fun and the interface is designed very well. It's also very challenging as there areFTL is the type of game that I felt a Star Trek type game should be, but never was. You have many alien races, engines, shields, weapons, teleporters, med bay, warp core systems and a crew working to maintain those systems or board enemy ships to try and complete your mission. Needless to say, it's very fun and the interface is designed very well. It's also very challenging as there are many obstacles in your way of completing the mission. The weapon designs, species of aliens, and different systems you can install in your ship, and the many kinds of encounters make each play through unique, interesting, and challenging in it's own way.
    For the aesthetics of the game, the graphics are more like 8 or 16bit era quality, but they are very well done sprites with a sound track of AAA quality. The atmosphere, sound and music make it sound like you're really commanding a ship through the star systems.
    The only reason I have to give it a 9 out of 10 is because the game experience is limited to one overall mission, and I see lots of room for expanding upon this universe that simply doesn't get explored by the developers. A multiplayer option would be nice too. I don't give the game a lesser score because it is an indie game so less should be expected, and for what it tries to do, it does very very well. I'd play this over any of the stock Star Trek games any day and that says a lot about this games quality.
  8. Aug 15, 2014
    TL;DR: the "de facto" best Star Trek style spaceship commander simulator, in a "rogue-light", addictive and challenging gameplay, with undeniable charm, an impressive atmosphere, and absolutely stunning soundtrack. Multiple ships, ship systems, weapons, crew races, expanded upon with the FREE Advanced Edition, provide a variety of play styles and endless replayability.

In FTL you

In FTL you control a medium-sized spaceship and its crew carrying vital data to the Federation fleet. You are being pursued by the Rebel fleet and must stay ahead of it by doing FTL jumps between beacons of each sector and from sector to sector until you finally reach your main fleet. Problem is, it's an hostile universe out there, and you'll never know what you'll encounter on the next beacon...

In the beginning you can pick between multiple ship types (that you unlock as you play), each with different crew compliments and systems that will make for different play styles. The meat of the game plays as a strategy real-time (pausable) "rogue-light", where you control your ship and crew from a top-down view, managing which crew member mans which system (engines, shields, weapons, helm, etc) for a better performance, when and how to fire weapons and also the allocation of power to each system. Crew members of different races have different bonus: one repair systems quicker, one provide extra power to the room they're in, one are excellent fighters, one are immune to fire, etc. You won't have power for everything, and also depending what systems/weapons you have and your crew type, you have to adapt and optimize your strategy and approach to your encounters.

And you'll encounter a lot: other ships, some hostile, some friendly; there's even mini-quests and mini optional "story arcs" that you can go on. Not only that but also dangerous asteroid fields, nebulas that interfere with your shields and sensors, suns that burst out flares and set your ship on fire. The real-time battles, despite being pausable, are usually pretty tense. You'll mostly be trying to damage or disable enemy shields and damaging their systems, such as shields and weapons, until you destroy their ship. Or you can beam up a boarding party, kill everyone and take control of the ship, or you can bypass their shields by hurling missiles or beaming up bombs (limited supply of these), etc. Or you can just run for it if things are too hot. And the best thing is, the enemies can do the exact same things! Battles will damage your systems, breach your hull, ignite fires, and that's where you'll need your best managing skills to keep things under control on the heat of battle. Sometimes things just happen too fast, you were not prepared, and you're blown into oblivion and have to start from the beginning. It's an unforgiving universe... After each battle you win, you can get random upgrades but you'll mostly accumulate scrap, which can be used to upgrade your ship's system and go to stores to buy consumables (like jump fuel and missiles) or weapons and systems; or even recruit more crew members. You'll need scrap badly, but how far is it reasonable to risk potentially lethal encounters on its pursuit?

Between that and much more, like controlling blast doors and managing oxygen supply in case of a fire or breach, or also venting rooms in your ship to put out fires or choke intruders to death, FTL manages to be the most complete and realistic spaceship simulator, Star Trek style, that I've ever know, despite its 2D, top-down, pixel art style. You can only "save&quit", if you lose, you have to start from the beginning. Some "runs" will go better than others, it always depends on your ability to adapt and optimize your play style, but it also depends a bit on being fortunate enough on finding a really good upgrade or weapon after a battle or on a store. That can be a bit frustrating, but you'll learn a lot from your mistakes. And after finishing the game, you'll realize that you couldn't have done it if you hadn't learned so much. So it rewards you for your failures and efforts.

The soundtrack is just absolutely brilliant, one of the best in my memory, being part charming old-school style 8-bit tunes, part dreamy sci-fi space sounds, it provides a unique atmosphere that immerses completely. The overall style oozes charms and tender care, despite being a very challenging and unforgiving game.

With the addition of Advanced Edition, completely free, bringing more races, more ships, more weapons and systems, and also more encounters, the game has an impressive amount of content that can get you on it for dozens of hours. If you like space sci-fi strategy games, particularly commanding ships Star Trek style, this is for you. If you get frustrated easily with a challenge, maybe approach it carefully, but you'll be missing out.
  9. Aug 5, 2014
    141 hours in on the PC, not including all the hours spent on the iOS version....

Firstly the worst part about the game is the ship unlocks although with Advanced Edition they've partly fixed that so you don't need to do idiotic quests. Its a very compact game, each game is short enough to finish in 1 or 2 sittings. There's no waste, no needless grinding to get items. Whilst it can

Whilst it can be said that there are only certain ways to win (boarding crews and or overwhelming firepower) plus the first few sectors are make or break. The whole experience really is a awesome rpg/strategy blend that I can't recommend enough.

Plus the soundtrack is impressive for retro midi!
  10. Jul 21, 2014
    FTL is a Rogue-like Sci-Fi adventure places you in the Captains chair of a Star Ship managing both crew and ship systems while trying to survive the odds. FTL has substance & style with its 2D aesthetic style, various aliens races & ships and tactical depth makes FTL fun and addictive and a worthy purchase especially on the Steam sales, with the added bonus of benefiting from some decent mods.
  11. Jun 29, 2014
    I've circled back to this game a few times having played it clean through at least twice. It represents great value and is quite rewarding. Frustratingly so at times. Hard to get this much entertainment for under 5 bucks.
  12. Jun 23, 2014
    This is a highly addicting game due to it's roguelike elements. I died so many times I lost count. You need to look up guides to be able to know how to play this game, but once you get the mechanics the game starts to be extremely fun. Even though you start over when you die the game still gives you an incentive to keep playing by being able to unlock other ships, or just playing it againThis is a highly addicting game due to it's roguelike elements. I died so many times I lost count. You need to look up guides to be able to know how to play this game, but once you get the mechanics the game starts to be extremely fun. Even though you start over when you die the game still gives you an incentive to keep playing by being able to unlock other ships, or just playing it again to see if a different strategy will give you a different outcome. This game gives you that sense of progression due to the unlockable features. There are 3 models for each type of ships and you have to unlock each model by doing achievements. The engie and stealth ships are my all time favorites to play with. This game have tons of replay value but with mods it adds even more replay value on top of it. It's a must buy game. 10/10 Expand
  13. Jun 10, 2014
    Para mí la gran aventura espacial de los últimos años, las mecánicas son interesantes y te obliga a la rejugabilidad ya que castiga pero pica. Interesante aunque corto, una experiencia de juego recomendable.
  14. May 28, 2014
    I like it a lot. It could use a little more depth (I haven't tried to the expansion though), seems like mostly you just try to keep their weapons disabled and the AI is pretty basic.

But I had a whole lot of fun with this.

Though losing a crewman in your first encounter in the first zone is kind of completely ****
  15. May 28, 2014
    What can I say that hasn't been said about this title. Incredibly addicting and well worth the money you will pay for it. Fun and witty with a large learning curve that you can only get more excited about learning about. One of the best titles I have ever played
  16. May 17, 2014
    Simply excellent game. If you like beautiful indie, this game is for you! FTL combines music that sticks to the game with a beautiful décor, and all this with a most excellent gameplay. This game deserves its rating, its price, it is a very good quality, although a multiplayer mode is expected by the players!
  17. May 1, 2014
    Looks like you either love or hate FTL. I love it. It's a relaxing and engaging game with infinite replayability.I have only unlocked a fraction of the ships available in the game and my enthusiasm for getting there has only grown.

Pluses: Can play in quick bites. Replayable. Great music. Sense of humour. Minuses: Lots of luck involved. High level difficulty. Parts can be repetitive.

Pluses: Can play in quick bites. Replayable. Great music. Sense of humour.
    Minuses: Lots of luck involved. High level difficulty. Parts can be repetitive.

Given the price of the game and number of hours I've gotten out of it, one of the best investments I've made.

"I should really go to bed."
    *looks at clock*
    "One more jump won't hurt..."
  18. Apr 25, 2014
    Hard and addictive. There is a lot of possible combinations to win (and loose) the game. Great music, great pixel style, if you like it.
    A rare game that has a unique spirit, enjoyable gameplay, and you can stop and play back again anytime you want..
  19. Apr 14, 2014
    I believe FTL is one of the those games that people will keep playing for years, maybe decades, in the same way there are still people playing Nethack.

This is a near perfect game in what it sets out to do - to survive against the odds. The more you play (and die), the more the game opens up which eventually makes you a better strategist in certain situations. It is not fully random as some reviewers think as each sector grows in difficulty in a predictable way. Over time, you learn what is more likely to work in one case versus another.

Also, it doesn't get boring as you have the choice of a large number of ships and the game, from start to finish, is less than 2 hours.

This game is the complete opposite of games like Diablo 3 where D3 makes you feel incredibly powerful almost from the very start. In FTL, you feel very humbled and at odds with the Universe FTL has created. Only when you beat this game will you feel powerful and sense that you've accomplished something more than almost any other game out there.
  20. Apr 13, 2014
    This review includes the Advanced Edition. This game is SUPPOSED to be hard. Yes, it is random but that is part of the fun, every play-through is different. Way too many people are addicted to the hold-your-hand mash one button to get through an interactive cut scene type of game these days. Sure I have died a lot in FTL, but if you actually stop to think about what you were doing you canThis review includes the Advanced Edition. This game is SUPPOSED to be hard. Yes, it is random but that is part of the fun, every play-through is different. Way too many people are addicted to the hold-your-hand mash one button to get through an interactive cut scene type of game these days. Sure I have died a lot in FTL, but if you actually stop to think about what you were doing you can figure out a way to deal with that type of situation when you run into it in the future. One of the negative reviews complains that "I ran into a ship with FOUR SHIELDS but I had run out of missiles so it was impossible to win THIS GAME IS BAD". It's not the game's fault for players not being creative or having a slight bit of foresight. I got the game for 10 dollars and have spent more time with it than I have with some 60 dollar titles. It will be in my library for a very long time and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi games. Also, it was just released for tablets so my time on the toilet is going to be increasing. With the regular edition I would have given the game a 7.5 or 8 because the number of events was rather low but with the new advanced edition I really feel like the game has enough variety to warrant a 9. Expand
  21. Apr 11, 2014
    I wish FTL was around when I was a kid. To be honest, I feel like this game was designed with nostalgia in mind. The glorious low res music soundtrack is phenomenal. The graphics are beautifully simplistic. The pause-able game play meshes RTS and Turn-based strategy perfectly.

You have a ship which is represented on screen as a cross section of the rooms within. You start with ~3 crew who you deliver orders to in real time or while paused. Your goal is to reach the main Federation fleet on the right side of the galaxy as you flee from the wave of Rebels converging from the left side. Each planet you stop at has a randomly generated encounter with an enemy ship, or any other of the many possible events. Usually you need to make a decision based on the event you encounter, which can end favorably, disastrously, or mysteriously neutral. You'll encounter shops, ships, and planets which provide you with modules to upgrade your ship in almost every conceivable way; from weapons to shields, to drones and cloaking devices. You'll also recruit more crew, and lose many on the way. This is a rogue-like so when you get blown up, its game over! The combat can be paused and orders delivered. Your decision to target a certain system on board the enemy ship will mean the difference between winning and perma-death.

Subset Games just released a free expansion. Let me repeat myself if you suddenly became stunned by those words. A FREE EXPANSION. Its awesome. The core game is left unchanged and there is the addition of more content. Seems simple right? Absolutely worth $10. I cannot recommend this game enough. Prepare to die a lot. This is hard, unforgiving, and very, very fun.
  22. Apr 6, 2014
    This game doesn't look all that, but play for 20 minutes and you'll be hooked. I keep coming back to it and finding new things in the game or strategies I should use and with a free DLC added, hours more adventure have been added. That is the sign of a studio that cares for their fans. Great game to get your hands onto.
  23. Apr 5, 2014
    This game's addicting. Simple SNES graphics and great game mechanics. Its only $9.99 (got it on Steam sale for about $4.99) and I spent about 100 hours total playing it. Wow. Its now available on iPad and as soon as the come out with it on Android, I'm buying it for my Android devices (all of them). Ship to ship combat never felt so cool until FTL.
  24. Mar 23, 2014
    For those among us who enjoy pain and suffering, sci fi themed tactical games with a bit of RP elements thrown in, FTL is an ideal game. A constant barrage of bad luck and impossible situations means you`re likely to spend a lot of time restarting the game, cursing loudly to the annoyance of family members or even crying.
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication will include things like hitting your weapons 1 second after you enter stealth mode to reload your weapon in safety, forcing you to spend stealth putting out fires instead of reloading, which means you`ll be reloading later when the enemy is firing on you. Or killing off your crew with random events and not generating any way to shanghai more crew, leading to death by abandoned ship. Or it may refuse to provide you with a suitable weapon upgrade for level after level, until you can`t break the shields of any enemy and die. Once in a while it will even make dead ends for you, forcing you right back into the pursuing fleet which is what provides the time pressure in the game, preventing free exploration.
    And I could list about 20 similar conspiracies hatched by the makers of FTL without effort; all with the express purpose of driving me insane. Having said this you might think the game is no fun. But it is! Unlocking ships, finding rare events and quests and the interminable difficulty of getting your ship to the last zone in an appropriate condition to fight the last battle is irresistible to all roguelike fans and should not be missed. Although much of the game is random, practice does make things easier to a certain extent. Things like venting the ship into space to deal with boarders while putting all your crew in the medbay for example has apparently not occurred to many of the negative reviewers here. But this simple response makes it easy to deal with boarding parties, and fires from solar activity I might add, since the enemy cannot beam back to the other ship because there is a CD and are forced to fight in your medbay where they will die every time.
    Obviously the easily frustrated should perhaps look elsewhere. Unless you understand the genre concepts of randomness and perma death, and like them, you will not have much fun. For the rest of us though we can only hope that a sequel will appear at some point in the future. Until then, FTL will have to do:)
  25. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game will leave you screaming when it decides to annihilate your tenderly developed and loved ship and crew, but it is so much fun that you will come back for more. The only issue I have with the game is the amount of luck needed. Luck isn't a huge factor, but it is certainly a factor. (Ex. Suicide Mantis and AI ships orbiting suns, asteroid fields in the first sector, Giant Alien Spiders, Hobos you decide to bring aboard your space ship, etc.) After playing for 34 hours and finally beating the game, I love it. Expand
  26. Mar 9, 2014
    Simply put: The Star Trek game they never made. A great little indie title with so much character and heart, it's hard not to get lost in it. It's a real challenge, but not unfair. It encourages replay like no other game I've played, and truly caters to the hardcore sci-fi fan. Worth every penny.
  27. Mar 1, 2014
    Ths game was recommended to me by a friend and im glad he did. This game does not look great or worth money but it has one feature which nearly no game has anymore, difficulty and replayability. I have replayed this game over 40 times in a few weeks on easy and have still not finished the game, yes people may argue that should be easier or less randomly generated and frustrating but on theThs game was recommended to me by a friend and im glad he did. This game does not look great or worth money but it has one feature which nearly no game has anymore, difficulty and replayability. I have replayed this game over 40 times in a few weeks on easy and have still not finished the game, yes people may argue that should be easier or less randomly generated and frustrating but on the other hand if you can master the techniques of the game such as how to channel oxygen throughout the ship or which species are better in different rooms.

The only few criticisms I have are that the game could be extended slightly not by much but one or two more sectors so that the player can build more resources although it is doable as it is. Good Luck
  28. Feb 21, 2014
    Money vs. entertainment value - It's hard to beat this game. It's not flashy and almost could've been done on a NES, but it's challenging, strategic, and there's lots of replay value with the things to unlock. Kudos to the guys who made this one! Oh, and it will inevitably be on sale on Steam if you don't want to pay too much. The summer and winter sales will probably have it down toMoney vs. entertainment value - It's hard to beat this game. It's not flashy and almost could've been done on a NES, but it's challenging, strategic, and there's lots of replay value with the things to unlock. Kudos to the guys who made this one! Oh, and it will inevitably be on sale on Steam if you don't want to pay too much. The summer and winter sales will probably have it down to just a few bucks, though the designers probably do deserve a full price, so do what you will. Expand
  29. Feb 20, 2014
    I felt compelled to write a review because of all the people saying that the game is "too hard." It is a hard game and you will die a lot in the beginning. And that's OK as long as you try to learn something every time. I can beat it about 90% of the time on Normal and have beat it at least once with all the different ship types. I'm actually looking forward to the Hard mode that will beI felt compelled to write a review because of all the people saying that the game is "too hard." It is a hard game and you will die a lot in the beginning. And that's OK as long as you try to learn something every time. I can beat it about 90% of the time on Normal and have beat it at least once with all the different ship types. I'm actually looking forward to the Hard mode that will be available in the upcoming "Advanced Edition." I give it a 9 rather than a 10 because there is SOME luck and that can be frustrating at times. People who say it's totally dependent on finding a good weapon early or some other random element either haven't played enough or haven't learned enough from their previous losses. Expand
  30. Feb 19, 2014
    This is definitely a game for tactical/strategy aficionados. If you don't like challenging tactical games, thsi game is not for you. If you enjoyed playing X-Com on Superhuman or getting through FFT with 2 or 3 characters, this game is right up your alley.

My winning odds on normal nowadays is probably about 2/3 runs. If you really feel this game is too hard or all up to randomness, you either have much to learn or maybe it's just too hard for you. I think the difficulty level is excellent.
  31. Feb 14, 2014
    Fantastic game. Have put over a hundred hours into it already. How many times I have I finished the game, maybe twice. It is a challenging game, but those frustrated with not being able to make it through to the end each time are missing the point. FTL is about the journey through space, the agony of loosing a character you have ranked up, the thrill of hiding in a nebula making repairs,Fantastic game. Have put over a hundred hours into it already. How many times I have I finished the game, maybe twice. It is a challenging game, but those frustrated with not being able to make it through to the end each time are missing the point. FTL is about the journey through space, the agony of loosing a character you have ranked up, the thrill of hiding in a nebula making repairs, the joy of taking down a hardened foe with new upgrades and the sense of actually traversing a dangerous galaxy. I am conrfused by reviews that argue the game is both random and lacks replayability. The random nature of each adventure is what makes the game replayable. Each trip through the game brings different side-quests, random events and enemy vessels. After all the time I have put into the game, I have yet to unlock much of the content or finish many of the side quests. This is the brilliance of the game. While the concept is simple, the designers have maxed the core ideas of the game. I am very eager to see the new content for FTL advanced. Expand
  32. Feb 6, 2014
    This game is fantastic. The combat is fun, the different choices makes it re playable and the ship design is gorgeous. But the best thing about this game is the music! It is the best pixel music ever made! You can also get different ships, explore, buy and sell. It's fun to upgrade your ship as well. Best. Game. Of. 2012. I am very excited for iPad release.
  33. Feb 6, 2014
    Is it a perfect game? No. Some things are buggy, some things are just troll-y. Is it very good? Yes. I can't really think of a reason not to like this game, all of its flaws are easily overcome by other pros for it.
  34. Jan 11, 2014
    Humans are stupid. Giving a game a low score because you can't beat it is stupid. That's not the game, it's you. You can blame bad luck all you want, but using 90% of the ships available I can reach the Last Stand on normal almost every time. At start you will perish, no doubt about it. Spending a lot of time on easy is key; try unlocking all available ships (type A and B) on easy so thatHumans are stupid. Giving a game a low score because you can't beat it is stupid. That's not the game, it's you. You can blame bad luck all you want, but using 90% of the ships available I can reach the Last Stand on normal almost every time. At start you will perish, no doubt about it. Spending a lot of time on easy is key; try unlocking all available ships (type A and B) on easy so that you have a decent arsenal to choose from and you get some game experience. 55 hours in and I'm currently trying to unlock all achievements. It can get repetitive at times but given a few days you'll be coming back for more. Could do with more content, but with the upcoming Advanced Edition update (free of charge) I'll have to return to this review. For the ridiculous prices of the Steam sales, this is a no-brainer. Expand
  35. Dec 30, 2013
    Really refreshing and new.I look forward to the free expansion pack coming sometime in 2014. What can I say, it's cool and fun when you try different tactics. It was meant that it should have 8/10, but since the news about the free expansion pack, I give it 9/10

I really like companies, that renew their products, especially when the game, gets older, then instead making a sequence

GGWP Subset!
  36. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is very much like poker: if you're a beginner, casual or just not into it, it's completely based on luck. But if you give it a little time, slowly get the hang of it and evaluate your decision making, it's pure skill.

The story is pretty straightforward, you're captain of a federation ship and there are rebels trying to overthrow the federation. Your job is to make sure it doesn't happen. Along your jorney, many random events occur: pirates attack, you run into asteroid belts, aliens make contact, you encounter merchants... the list is giant.
    Music is simply good; it's pleasant even trough hours of playing and it fits the atmosphere, not much to talk about.
    Gameplay is simple enough, you micromanage your ship in combat and go around systems. The thing is, scrutinizing possibilities is essential. You have to decide wether it's worth exploring the system you're in, or it's better just to find a merchant and move on. Many times, you're given choices, and deciding what's best, wich risks are worth taking is at the same time a difficult and gratifying experience.
    What really appeals to me in this game is the overall feeling you get playing. That raw sense of discovery, encountering new alien races, ships, weapons, random events, it's all about exploration. And well, yeah, you'll die a lot. Like, Dark Souls a lot. And game over means a game over for real. But every gameplay is new, every gameplay is more discovery, it just shows how failure is not necessarely something bad, it teaches you a lot, and opens space for new experiences.
  37. Dec 25, 2013
    If you want to control a ship, and the crew of it, putting out fires, repairing stuff, and beaming on board enemy ships and taking on their crew, then this is the game for you. On PC, via Steam the game is dirt cheap! It is coming to IPAD, and they are going to release an update for free! Great game. Go buy this game.
  38. Dec 24, 2013
    FTL is a well polished roguelike-inspired masterpiece. Each time through you pray for a good run, and each failure teaches you a valuable lesson. The combat is very interesting and challenging, the dialogue is fun and interesting, and the graphics are simple yet pleasing. There is a modding community if you get bored, and the developers have stated they will soon release a version withFTL is a well polished roguelike-inspired masterpiece. Each time through you pray for a good run, and each failure teaches you a valuable lesson. The combat is very interesting and challenging, the dialogue is fun and interesting, and the graphics are simple yet pleasing. There is a modding community if you get bored, and the developers have stated they will soon release a version with additional features. My only issue with the game is that there aren't more like it. Expand
  39. Dec 24, 2013
    Warning do not play this game if you don't have some serious time to kill. Once you get the game mechanics down, the "just one more game" syndrome kicks in, and before you know it, its 2 a.m. and you've got to go to work the next day!
    If you are a sci-fi fan and enjoy PC strategy games of any type, this game is definitely for you. It is worth full price, but catch it on a Steam sale and you'd be a fool not to pick it up. Frustrating, thoughtful, exciting, extremely challenging, even on 'easy' level definitely one of the best games I've played this year.
  40. Dec 21, 2013
    Epic game!, challenging game play, addictive, retro type graphics do suite it well, customizable ships, this game just does so many things right exploring the galaxy is fun and the game has great re playability. All around great game.
  41. Dec 16, 2013
    I am not an indie gamer. I typically cannot stand games that have or 2d graphics because I grew up around xbox 360s and PS2 or PS3 systems. That however did not stop me from absolutely falling in love with FTL. FTL has great music, gameplay, and is strangely addicting. It is simple enough to be understood by most people and if you read the tips on the wiki page you will find easy mode ofI am not an indie gamer. I typically cannot stand games that have or 2d graphics because I grew up around xbox 360s and PS2 or PS3 systems. That however did not stop me from absolutely falling in love with FTL. FTL has great music, gameplay, and is strangely addicting. It is simple enough to be understood by most people and if you read the tips on the wiki page you will find easy mode of the game quite enjoyable. The normal mode is quite difficult and is often frustrating but I feel that the game is well balanced. Anyways, play the game on easy mode if your ego can handle it and you might actually become as addicted to it as I did. As a closing thought: Great value for a great game. I bought FTL for 10 bucks or less on steam and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made online. Support indie gamers! Expand
  42. Dec 10, 2013
    The first time I played the video game, FTL (Faster Than Light,) I was a bit of a skeptic. It didn’t really draw me in. Probably because the game isn’t displayed in 3D and doesn’t have all the visual stimulation that comes with many of the high priced games now-a-days. After my first two hours I was hooked. Now somehow I’ve logged 43 hours of game play and in those 43 hours I’ve beatenThe first time I played the video game, FTL (Faster Than Light,) I was a bit of a skeptic. It didn’t really draw me in. Probably because the game isn’t displayed in 3D and doesn’t have all the visual stimulation that comes with many of the high priced games now-a-days. After my first two hours I was hooked. Now somehow I’ve logged 43 hours of game play and in those 43 hours I’ve beaten the game once on the easiest setting. The game is incredibly challenging, but rewarding as well. I enjoy the fact that you have to think fast on your feet to keep your crew alive, and it is not just mindless shooting. It requires thought and logic. The artwork and style reminds me of a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) game, but with a great deal more complexity. In any given battle you may find you’ll have to send crew to repair different systems (note: oxygen is very important), you’ll have to fire weapons, power up the med bay to heal your injured crew, cloak your ship, teleport your crew to the enemy ship to engage in combat, or manage your different ships systems like drone control. Drone control can be used to attack, heal, defend, and repair your ship. The price of the game is extremely reasonable at $9.99 USD on STEAM, the FTL site, or GOG site. This game has won quite a few awards and was developed by a two person Indie team who are still active with the product. A new downloadable content (DLC) is schedule to come out in early 2014. I’m sure I’ll be logging even more hours after the DLC drops. Expand
  43. Dec 10, 2013
    A simple idea, simple graphics but great playability. I played this game over and over again for countless hours. The absence of saving/loading (if you do not want to quit the game and copy the files to a different location before each space jump) was a great choice. Losing is part of the fun as the game itself states. I recommend starting with the easy game though...beside oldchoolA simple idea, simple graphics but great playability. I played this game over and over again for countless hours. The absence of saving/loading (if you do not want to quit the game and copy the files to a different location before each space jump) was a great choice. Losing is part of the fun as the game itself states. I recommend starting with the easy game though...beside oldchool graphics this game has also oldschool difficulty:) Expand
  44. Nov 30, 2013
    Awesome fun RPG. Very fun and, hard. Great especially if you like star trek! I love how the game doesn't focus on whats outside the ship, but whats going on inside the ship and controlling the crew.
  45. Nov 23, 2013
    FTL is a strange game. It is most certainly not for everyone, yet I'd recommend it to everyone reading this just the same. It can't really fit into a genre, yet the gameplay feels smooth and refined like it's a polished machine that's been put into play for countless generations of gaming. The music is PHENOMENAL, setting the mood for every zone in a way that can't be done by simply lovingFTL is a strange game. It is most certainly not for everyone, yet I'd recommend it to everyone reading this just the same. It can't really fit into a genre, yet the gameplay feels smooth and refined like it's a polished machine that's been put into play for countless generations of gaming. The music is PHENOMENAL, setting the mood for every zone in a way that can't be done by simply loving music or video games in general; composer Ben Prunty's passion and love for this game can be felt through the soundtrack. The story of your crew's saga is minimal and subtle overall, but for good reason. Each jump and following landing feels like an episode of Star Trek with it's own story devices, choices and dialogues, and of course benefits and consequences. Detracting from each of this individual experiences would make this less of an episodic adventure and more of a summer action blockbuster.

It is brutally difficult, and you are in no way guaranteed success at any point. You warp out of a bad fight and end up in an asteroid field with Mantis pirates boarding you before you even can repair the holes into the vacuum from the last fight. You could lose crew members to random events that could have just as easily rewarded you. Yet, the game is made for this crushing defeats. As is often said, "Losing is Fun".

That said, if you can't get past it's brutal difficulty curve, it might not be worth playing. Additionally, the game is rather short if you don't want to do multiple playthroughs. Some sort of never ending "sandbox" mode would have been appreciated.
  46. Nov 17, 2013
    A very good game. If you like space, aliens, epic fights, events, and more, buy FTL: Faster Than Light and you will support the developers and maybe they can make multiplayer! This game is 10/10 BUY IT! :D
  47. Nov 16, 2013
    These game developers. They play coy, pretending like they aren't going to make DLC at some point. And as soon as I've finally weaned myself off this wonderful game, as soon as I'm no longer tempted to double-click it in Steam when I'm downloading a big file to pass time, they announce a damn DLC.

This game is rewarding and enriching when you beat it; the rest of the time it's an alcoholic stepfather who just got back from the bar. You gon git it. Real good. Your ship all tricked out and you feel like the kid with the biggest nuts on the block? I bet you do! Here, remember that time that they disabled your oxygen systems and threw four mantis boarders at you in a random event? Bet you stocked up on Zoltans because you like that power boost. How cute. Good luck having them survive while they repair the oxygen systems.

Look, it's hard. "Easy" in this game is "normal" everywhere else. Now don't take my word for it, test your pride and start out on "Normal" in this game and see how far you get. You'll go back to "easy". It's okay, we've all done it. Just don't get attached to your ship, crew, equipment, or anything really.

Except the game. Get attached to the game.
  48. Nov 13, 2013
    THE..... BEST.... ROGUELIKE.... EVER.... BAR.... NONE.... Amazingly well thought out game where you command a spaceship and given the way roguelikes work it doesn't appear to suffer from feeling horribly repetitive unlike the lions share of this genre.
  49. Nov 4, 2013
    Space based rouge like with a bit of combat tactics. Music is incredible. Game can be very challenging at first. Start on easy and take your time to learn when to make what choices and what setups are the best. It sucks you in with your desire to get further each run and once beating the boss the pursuit of unlocking more ships provides many hours of entertainment.
  50. Oct 28, 2013
    Amazing game. Best space simulator I've played, and a ton of fun. Hours and hours of playtime to be had. It could use some more content and further expansion, because its a marvelous base. A warning, though, its a killer to people who don't like to think or who can't learn (as witnessed by the few negative comments saying "this is impossible").

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's Play of it before you jump in.
  51. Oct 26, 2013
    Fantastic little game. Best value ever. The strategy-oriented gameplay is very straightforward but also deep and new to my experience. It is a very challenging game, and you could get frustrated. The only bad point is that the story gets repetitive after some point. Well, I played already 150h, so it's not bad at all.
  52. Oct 21, 2013
    Roguelikes.
    If you like them, go buy this ASAP.
    If you don't, I'll give you some critical reviews on this game: The game is fun if you enjoy the process of creating something, not the end of it that means that I had more fun trying to figure what would be the most efficient way to solve a problem launch that Hermes Missile right into their weapons or try to set their shields down with
    Roguelikes.
    If you like them, go buy this ASAP.
    If you don't, I'll give you some critical reviews on this game:
    The game is fun if you enjoy the process of creating something, not the end of it that means that I had more fun trying to figure what would be the most efficient way to solve a problem launch that Hermes Missile right into their weapons or try to set their shields down with a Ion Beam and a Burst Laser MkII? than I had actually winning the fights. It also raises some morality questions while getting a slave free is certainly the best option, you must spend quite some scrap on it perhaps you could force the slaver into giving on for free for you if you damage his ship enough then again, this won't stop his activities, so you may as well destroy his ship. Also, there are several other options do I upgrade my shields or try to upgrade my weapons? And then again, how am I gonna get the scrap? By killing people?
    The entire game runs on randomness, so it is quite similar to RPG games, and I mean the ones with actual Roleplay, where you throw dice and this makes the entire point of the game. I've never had a single equal game yet. It's fun to see what you can do in the situation. Sure, your skills and your choices matter a lot. They are the main things that you'd expect to be used. Your knowledge. I've gone through over 200 games now, all of them ended up differently. My knowledge mattered. What I did, mattered. It's the fact that your captain may die right now if he doesn't stop fighting the mantises and you'll lose someone with two stars on driving a starship, but, at the same time, the mantises may be able to take down your weapons and you won't be able to fire again until you've cleared them out.
    It's a game where you need to think "maybe I could have done X right here... I should do Y now to counter that and allow me to do Z."
    Not one where you can say "I'll do X and then Y".
  53. Oct 20, 2013
    A perfect game doesn't exist, but FTL: Faster Than Light is the closest thing to it I saw in recent years. Graphics may not look amazing, but they don't have to. They're clean, they allow you to both get an accurate view on what's going on on the screen and leave enough for your imagination to roam. Sounds and most importantly, music is amazing. Nothing short of art. It creates the properA perfect game doesn't exist, but FTL: Faster Than Light is the closest thing to it I saw in recent years. Graphics may not look amazing, but they don't have to. They're clean, they allow you to both get an accurate view on what's going on on the screen and leave enough for your imagination to roam. Sounds and most importantly, music is amazing. Nothing short of art. It creates the proper atmosphere and fits thematically to the game. It's great. Gameplay is quite possibly the best feature of FTL. It's simple to understand and hard to master. Never will this game allow you to be the best at everything, and the real time tactical battles with an active pause wirks in advantage for this title. It's a hard game, it will kick your ass, but it's also very addictive. And the story... Some people might say that this game has no story and that the text in the game is not a good script, if any... I treat FTL as a story generator. Just name your ship and crew, turn on your imagination and make a story for yourself! It's great deal of fun!

This is easly one of the best games in recent years. It's a must play. It will kick your ass and you're going to love every second of it. It's been years since the last time I couldn't leave the game until I completely unlocked everything and got every achievement in the game... Give it a chance, you won't regret it.
  54. Oct 9, 2013
    YES!! Finally, this is pure genius. A light in the dark.. take this modern uber hyped crap games!
    The proof that a good game is based on a good concept, passion, love for your work.
    No need for super graphics and 2gb cutscenes, no need for a 2000$ rig to run this gem. All those multimillion developers/corporations should be ASHAMED, faster than light is simply perfect. And it is
    All those multimillion developers/corporations should be ASHAMED, faster than light is simply perfect. And it is unbelievable how much fun you'll have playing it.
  55. Oct 4, 2013
    The best rogue-like game I've played I'm not usually a fan of them( and stop playing after a couple of deaths), but FTL is an enjoyable and highly challenging blast. The difficulty is very random and I'm convinced the vast majority of seeds are not 'winnable', but hey, all part of the fun.
  56. Sep 30, 2013
    I adore this game, enjoyed every minute of it, loved the originality, and loved that the gameplay was exactly what they said it was, there was no trickery. So to decide if you want to play this just read the description and watch the video, easy peasy no way to coq it up. Yes this is a Roguelike game which means yes once you die you die, it also means is random, so if you read that in theI adore this game, enjoyed every minute of it, loved the originality, and loved that the gameplay was exactly what they said it was, there was no trickery. So to decide if you want to play this just read the description and watch the video, easy peasy no way to coq it up. Yes this is a Roguelike game which means yes once you die you die, it also means is random, so if you read that in the description, then saw it in the video, then bought the game and said WTF THIS IS RANDOM AND HARD, then got on here to talk trash about it, then its your fault and go die. Expand
  57. Sep 25, 2013
    Pros:
    + Very fun and addictive
    + Gameplay is simple but very tactical + Can be extremely challenging + Randomness factor coupled with interesting achievements and unlockables add a degree of replayability + Music is absolutely perfect + Makes you feel like a captain of a spaceship Can't really think of any big cons off the top of my head. Just a fun, little game that will rid you
    Pros:
    + Very fun and addictive
    + Gameplay is simple but very tactical
    + Can be extremely challenging
    + Music is absolutely perfect
    + Makes you feel like a captain of a spaceship

Can't really think of any big cons off the top of my head. Just a fun, little game that will rid you of sleep for a couple days/weeks.
  58. Sep 22, 2013
    EPICLY AWESOME GAME! For 10€ I have had 100+ hours of fun. T
    The game is hard, very hard. Its unforgiving and brutal but that makes it awesome. You will have such an epic feeling when you beat the game. Replay value is high since the game has alot of randomness in it.

The setting and music is also great. Will make you feel like you're truely flying trough space.
  59. Sep 21, 2013
    This game is very reliant on strategy, and it does it well. Unlike other games, which jam skills and devices down your throat making the game hard to comprehend. In games like DOTA 2, you have nowhere to start and feel clueless (not that DOTA 2 is bad, just really complicated). FTL manages to keep it simple, with a clear, clean cut design. The way you manage your systems through power barsThis game is very reliant on strategy, and it does it well. Unlike other games, which jam skills and devices down your throat making the game hard to comprehend. In games like DOTA 2, you have nowhere to start and feel clueless (not that DOTA 2 is bad, just really complicated). FTL manages to keep it simple, with a clear, clean cut design. The way you manage your systems through power bars is easy to understand. It makes the game easier to pick up and play without much tutorial. But late in the game when you cap your power bars you need to strategize which systems are more important. Like, should I use it towards engines or an extra beam weapon? This form of simplicity on the outside and strategy on the inside leaves a very fun game. The one downside (and this is bound to come with rogue-likes and the such) is that when you die from something stupid, like an intruder, or a ship with much better weapons than you, it's hard to not be frustrated. Overall: 9/10 great game, suggest you pick it up especially if it's on sale. Expand
  60. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the best hour/dollar ratios in gaming. This game is hard as balls though, not that there's anything wrong with that. As far as roguelikes go this is one of my favorites.

I love this game.
  61. Sep 11, 2013
    FTL is fun, despite the fact that most of the time you die a horrible death as your ship breaks apart and explodes. You play the Captain or Commander of a small starship with an important mission essentially save the galaxy from the enemy fleet.

On the rare occasion your ship isn’t destroyed prepare to see your roguish crew eviscerated in front of your eyes by praying mantises, suffocate in the airless corridors of your ship, or test the old adage that in space no one can here you scream.

Your neighbours will here you scream though as the ship and crew you’ve navigated star systems with and grown attached to are subjected to all sorts of interstellar bad luck.

That is where the game shines. It's a simple premise, you select a ship, choose and name your crew and set off into the galaxy. The entire galaxy is randomly generated so you will get a different experience each play through you could get very lucky and have a breezy first couple of systems and luck out and find some great weapon systems and tech, or you could have a tough time of it as you are forced to fight your way out of system after system. Your crew give life to the galaxy, you really do grow attached as they do their stuff, as your engineer makes a life saving fix on the damaged engines allowing you the few precious seconds dodging enemy fire and missiles to charge your jump drive then making a dramatic escape! That was just one example of the things that could happen in your run!

The simple retro-stylings of the graphic make the game feel light hearted and fun despite the threat of your crew being ejected into the void of space at any moment.

Staying ahead of the encroaching enemy fleet leaves you little time to explore star systems at your leisure. At the same time, this tension forces you to make sure the route you plot through systems is filled with difficult choices. Do I head into a nebula to slow enemy sensors? Blast through a ring of pirates? Or slide my way around enemy ships to make it to the end of the level? This combination of choice and danger makes FTL a gripping experience that is surprisingly nuanced for such a simple premise.
  62. Sep 7, 2013
    I was looking on steam for some cheap games to buy. I found this and Reus, but I chose this, and as soon as I started playing, I couldn't stop. I spent 4 hours straight just messing around and failing. The game always has something new in store and is your always thinking "should I sent my crew in to find survivors? Or will they get killed by an alien spider" meaning you always need to beI was looking on steam for some cheap games to buy. I found this and Reus, but I chose this, and as soon as I started playing, I couldn't stop. I spent 4 hours straight just messing around and failing. The game always has something new in store and is your always thinking "should I sent my crew in to find survivors? Or will they get killed by an alien spider" meaning you always need to be careful of your choices. The incredible amount of content is this game is just wow. All the different ships to unlock, and their multiple layouts, the achievements, the different species of aliens to hire, the enemies, everything is just so entertaining and addictive. Its not too difficult if you play on easy, which is nice for people who want to try the game but do not want to be challenged. The game is very fun, very addicting and very replayable. This is an INCREDIBLE value for just $10 and Its Definitely worth it.

With the great value, replayability, and addictiveness this definitely deserves a 9.5. One of the best
    indie games you can get for really cheap. I really suggest you go buy it RIGHT NOW! Stop reading this. Buy it. If you already bought it, PLAY IT! What are you waiting for, this game is great!
  63. Sep 6, 2013
    This game could be very frustrating. I ve raged when i died because Little mistakes everytime. But one time i won it and the feeling was great FTL is a very nice indie game. 10 Points for it.
  64. Aug 22, 2013
    The enjoyment of simply playing FTL, as well as the amount of replayability through discovering new ships, makes it one of the most enjoyable rogue-likes that you can currently get.
  65. Aug 21, 2013
    How can anyone give this game anything less than a 10? I will be the first to admit that this is my very first experience with a rogue-like, let alone a rogue-like RTS space sim, but I am having more fun with this Indie game than I have had with AAA titles. This is such an amazing concept and the replayability is endless.

I can't recommend this title enough. You have heard it said, "Buy

I can't recommend this title enough. You have heard it said, "Buy this if you are a fan of *insert*, or a gamer in general". Well I say, "Buy this if you are a human being". That may sound silly, but it really is that good.
  66. Aug 12, 2013
    A very good game with hours of entertainment. At first I was not sure if I would like it, but I bought it for only $2.50 but once I got playing I was addicted and played it for hours. I is really fun building your crew and deciding who to help and who to accept bribes from. Playing this game you even get attached to your crew who try to battle to keep your ship from falling apart. And, forA very good game with hours of entertainment. At first I was not sure if I would like it, but I bought it for only $2.50 but once I got playing I was addicted and played it for hours. I is really fun building your crew and deciding who to help and who to accept bribes from. Playing this game you even get attached to your crew who try to battle to keep your ship from falling apart. And, for fairly cheep whats stopping you from getting this game? Expand
  67. Aug 12, 2013
    This is a sweet game. It is a bit too dependent on luck, but with time you develop response strategies to different situations. The key is to maximize on good situations and retreat when things get bad if necessary. I guess that's a part of this game's appeal mainstream games today simply aren't trying to kill you anymore. They always try to hold your hand. Now where's the fun in that?
  68. Aug 9, 2013
    I'll just start off by saying that "Losing is part of the fun", the game itself tells you this. Even if/when you beat the game, you realize it's not a lengthy game. You're meant to play this over and over again.

Because of the randomness, you will have to play several times to get the quests to unlock ships. The reason I have so much fun is because I want to unlock each ship and practice with each one until I beat the game with each ship because that's fun for me. Each ship has a different playstyle and figuring that out is fun.

For people that don't like to try and try again when playing a game should just stay away.
  69. Aug 7, 2013
    a very nice catch by steam here. This game is basically star trek as you have many different rooms and systems and at times I felt like saying to myself "move full power to the shields" and it is a lot of fun. It's somewhat a simple game, but it's done so well and in such a way that it's like playing your own little star trek game. You have a story where you have to run ahead of thea very nice catch by steam here. This game is basically star trek as you have many different rooms and systems and at times I felt like saying to myself "move full power to the shields" and it is a lot of fun. It's somewhat a simple game, but it's done so well and in such a way that it's like playing your own little star trek game. You have a story where you have to run ahead of the rebellion to pass on the message to the guys in charge to give yourself a advantage. A lot of effort and fun in this game and well worth the price. Expand
  70. Aug 2, 2013
    Gives "Just One More Level" syndrome every time. Addictive. Hard as One of the best indies. FTL stimulates the imagination, You can "touch" climate of science fiction. Must have for all non-casual gamers.
  71. Jul 24, 2013
    FTL is a fun and addictive game that will suck hours away from your life but be warned this is not a game for everyone. This game caters to a certain niche of gamers. Those easily frustrated by hardcore difficult games with no clear cut solutions steer clear.
  72. Jul 18, 2013
    If you loved the old 90's PC games, this game will be for you. I am spending every night, playing atleast one game. The game is very addictive and while the Steam sale is on, this game is a steal for $3.
  73. Jul 16, 2013
    This game is freaking amazing! I feel like I'm Admiral Adama, Malcolm Reynolds, Captain Jean-Luc Picard, and Han Solo all rolled into one.

If you like spaceship commanding, old school graphics, and rougelike games, do not miss this one!
  74. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the most addictive games I've played, just spent an entire weekend with this game and I loved it. Sure the luck factor plays a huge role and combined with general difficulty of the game can make it frustrating at times, but after all that's what makes me play over and over again. It's absolutely worth picking it up, it's 2.5€ on sale and it managed to keep me playing for way longerOne of the most addictive games I've played, just spent an entire weekend with this game and I loved it. Sure the luck factor plays a huge role and combined with general difficulty of the game can make it frustrating at times, but after all that's what makes me play over and over again. It's absolutely worth picking it up, it's 2.5€ on sale and it managed to keep me playing for way longer than most of the full priced 60€ titles (not that I'm done with it anytime soon though, still have ships to unlock!). Expand
  75. Jul 13, 2013
    I'd glanced at 'Faster Than Light' on the Steam store occasionally, but had never been a fan of strategy games. I had heard good things about this game, so I picked it up at a sale. Since then I've been thoroughly enjoying playing it on plenty of occasions, and there is still plenty to do in the game. Easily a solid 10.
  76. Jul 2, 2013
    There's much to love and very little to criticize about FTL. The graphical interface is simple but adequate, the ships themselves look nice enough and the character sprites all have their own personality and animations that suit them. The music is excellent, seamlessly changing from combat to non-combat mixes of the same tracks while you're in a stage, which is something I can't recallThere's much to love and very little to criticize about FTL. The graphical interface is simple but adequate, the ships themselves look nice enough and the character sprites all have their own personality and animations that suit them. The music is excellent, seamlessly changing from combat to non-combat mixes of the same tracks while you're in a stage, which is something I can't recall ever seeing before. With all the different unlockable ships and their distinct strengths and weaknesses, there's a huge amount of replay value for people who eventually master it, and even though beating the game isn't likely on your first few runs, unlocking the different ships gives you enough different goals with tangible rewards that even your failures can turn out to be successes.

If I could change one thing about FTL, I would have a greater variety of random events, because it seems like they could have programmed more of them easily enough and it won't be long before you've simply encountered every event in the game, which can make the game a bit more predictable. But I guess that's inevitable either way.

All in all, FTL is an excellent game and truly one of a kind.
  77. Jun 25, 2013
    I'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. MostI'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. Most of the time, it is YOUR fault that you fail and though the randomness may end up screwing you over, I see it as learning to make do with what you are given and in fact, this is outweighed by how much good luck you get in the game (like just being given a weapon for no reason). Overall, this game is a ton of fun and though it is very challenging, should be at least tried by everyone. Expand
  78. Jun 23, 2013
    Very difficult true but also very addictive! It does not forgive recklessness, you need to have some tactics. It also requires a great dose of sheer luck, being procedurally generated and all. Just remember to embrace the failure and make it fun. If you are having problems on normal, try easy don't be ashamed, easy in FTL is like hard in other games and normal is insane.
  79. Jun 23, 2013
    FTL: A great game.

Let me start out by saying how much I've loved space exploration games (to an extent), and 2-D roguelikes. Something about charting and exploring the unknown just reaches out to my heart. So when I heard from several reviewers and friends of this game, I could only raise an eyebrow and ask what the heck they were talking about. So I bought the game on sale,
    FTL: A great game.

So when I heard from several reviewers and friends of this game, I could only raise an eyebrow and ask what the heck they were talking about. So I bought the game on sale, thinking I had nothing to lose.

Well, let's just get these comments out of the way: The game has almost no flaws, and I have not run into any bugs yet. The game is amazing and you should buy it. Do it. You have nothing to lose but $10 dollars (full price).

There are many fun things in this game. Many. You use your spaceship of choice to try and help your people and side fight against the other. It's basic, but along the way you'll fight space pirates, get ambushed by aliens, buy and sell items that will help you in your journey, and recruit alien companions.

It's very exciting when you're in battle, because you have the ability to control power assignment in your ship, if you don't have enough power to fully power your ship, you'll have to decide which you want more, like weapons or engines, medical center or shields, shields or weapons, etc.

The art style is wonderful, with the ships looking great. The music is nice, and the story behind everything seems solid.

It's worth the buy.
  80. Jun 18, 2013
    An amazingly addictive game. There is so much depth, so much variety, and so much risk. You really want to succeed as you continue playing, but the game ramps up difficulty to higher and higher levels. One act of hubris, or one moment of bad luck, and you'll find your ship exploding into pieces. The variety of mechanics all balance themselves out fantastically, and the game never feelsAn amazingly addictive game. There is so much depth, so much variety, and so much risk. You really want to succeed as you continue playing, but the game ramps up difficulty to higher and higher levels. One act of hubris, or one moment of bad luck, and you'll find your ship exploding into pieces. The variety of mechanics all balance themselves out fantastically, and the game never feels like it's getting dull, especially with the constant onslaught of the Rebel Army, which prods you into keeping pace and jumping into the next solar system.

I would probably write even more compliments, but my ship is in Mantis territory, and I don't want to let my crew of five down.
  81. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is amazing. I don't know why everybody is about the hardness of it, but it's amazing. I'm not giving it the full attention it deserves because, well, I get mad as well. Totally check it out, and if you're not sure that much, search on Youtube.
  82. Jun 13, 2013
    Crying for days after my crew was shot down by the rebels after being stranded without fuel no other game has doen that and the people dont even talk. Why are indie games so much better tah nmost triple A games these days. RIP crew of the SS ChildMurderer
  83. Jun 4, 2013
    An excellent take on the rouge-like, and possibly the closest we've ever come to how it feels to captain a ship from Star Trek. If you don't love this game and become addicted to it's simple brilliance then you truly have no soul. And FYI, if you can't handle the random encounter generator then you are simply not playing right.
  84. Jun 3, 2013
    This game is Perfect for any strategic lover, simple enough for anyone to pick up and play, only problems I found were some minor achievement buggs and that the game never really goes under the 10$ its listed for...
  85. May 31, 2013
    FTL is definitely very different from many games that come out today. Within indie games most are usually beatable at least once on the easier settings. I played FTL 25 times through before I won once. On the easiest difficulty. After using a file that unlocked all the ships. It is, in fact, a very difficult game to beat. But honestly, that's a huge part of the fun of the game. At firstFTL is definitely very different from many games that come out today. Within indie games most are usually beatable at least once on the easier settings. I played FTL 25 times through before I won once. On the easiest difficulty. After using a file that unlocked all the ships. It is, in fact, a very difficult game to beat. But honestly, that's a huge part of the fun of the game. At first you see how far you can make it. And each time after, getting just that little bit farther was a lot of fun. To put it simply: FTL is retro-style video game made with addicting and modern mechanics.

FTL is never the same each playthrough- randomly generated galaxies and galaxy maps force you to make different decisions each time. The random events in the game are also a blast--- there are so many, which adds a real factor of choices into your decisions. Having certain equipment (Like a laser beam or better scanners or a certain crewmember) let you select better options as well.

The gameplay is satisfying and fun. Using a cross section of your ship and the enemy's ship, you strategically man your ship's systems and attempt to disable and destroy the enemy. Upgrades are simple and pleasant, and weapons come in many varieties. The species each have interesting perks as well, and each ship is completely unique in terms of how it forces you to fight.

The trials this game puts you through are many, but I must make a single disclaimer--- Do not buy this game is you expect to be able to cruise through it once or twice. The game is very difficult even on the "easy" setting, but don't be turned off by this: I actually enjoyed the challenge very much. If anything, the game's difficult nature makes it unique and a blast to play. After all, I didn't play through it 25 times because it was boring.

The music, on a side note, is very cool. Ambient, deep music echoes throughout the game. As a rather nice touch, the music goes from calm when there are no enemies, but when hostiles attack the music seamlessly (And I mean that totally literally) transitions into a war-like theme by adding other instruments.

Overall, if you're in for a fresh and original game, you came to the right place. Some may find the difficulty irritating but I enjoyed the overall product very, very much. FTL is a steal at ten dollars (on Steam for $5 right now) and is definitely worth the purchase.
  86. May 31, 2013
    I became addicted. that doesn't happen often to me.
    If you dislike difficulty, try easy mode.
    The randomness can make you unhappy but it makes you having a real space adventure.
    Only bigger drawback is the lack of events for long term players.
  87. May 20, 2013
    Once bought this game i letterally spent nights on it.
    Have you ever experienced a roguelike? Me myself had in the past, but i couldn't get fun out of 'em, ever.
    Once bought this game i letterally spent nights on it.

This game made me experience the fun behind losing. Because believe me: you are going to lose so many times, and still you'll need to try again. And not in the way "i have to beat this crap!", but instead more something "this one is going to be THE ONE!". And Evrytime in the end you think that you could have done better, so you try again. And you enjoy it, and stick to your tactics which will be proven good or bad only after many trials and errors.

Oh, and the developer is ok with modding, and encourages it. So in the future, the basic game-play of the game (which is brilliant: the fights are really enjoyable and fresh) will experience a more opening to modalities many people felt the game was lacking (i'm quite sure in the future there will be tons of mods on the "privateer" style).

Seriously, you want to buy this game. It's just tons of neverending fun. it's just like old arcades in which you kept on playing for the very sake of becoming better at them! Never felt this sensation since years!
  88. May 8, 2013
    If you've watched space operas (i.e. Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) and wanted to try your hand as captain of a vessel, this game has something to offer you.

If you like to have some difficulty in your game, and the uncertainty which causes one to think carefully about taking a calculated risk, this game has something to offer you. If you like to play through a game again to

If you like to play through a game again to try out different styles of play, this game has something to offer you. You can unlock a multitude of ships to use through later playthroughs, and each one lends itself to a different style of play. This element has got me coming back for a number of playthroughs months after I would have stopped even thinking about other games.

There's depth to this game, a well-done sci-fi setting, a clean, neat UI, unique, interesting, and strategic gameplay... the music is awesome... it has a LOT going for it. Check it out.
  89. May 6, 2013
    Don't let the simplistic retro visual style fool you: this is a hardcore space simulation game. It has a great pace, the sense of urgency as the player races from the rebel fleet onslaught and tries to scrape resources at the same time is well-balanced, even if it is tuned to hard.

Even if a single playthrough is not overly long can take between 1 to 4 hours it has plenty of replay value, as new ships with unique features are unlocked and there are several random events which may pop up or not to the player, as well as achievements to be completed.

An indie gem for the hardcore strategist, and for those who are starved for Star Trek styled tactical space combat, where ships fa off each other like large, slumbering behemoths facing each other and the tactical decisions have much more weight on the battle outcome than strikecraft dogfighting (which is nonexistent).
  90. May 2, 2013
    People say "Rougelike", but really FTL is in a category of its own. Inventive and simple, but with great replayability. Does not suffer from the "feature creep" that many similar games fall in to.
  91. May 1, 2013
    Very fun game. Check it out if you like a challenge. This game is really hard but I think that is half the fun. You always strive for better results than the last time. It's really cool when you get new ships, and it makes me want to see how I fare with those. I have played about 15 time, and I've only beat it three times on easy. On normal I haven't even made it to the final boss.
  92. Apr 29, 2013
    FTL defied my expectations in a huge way. If you've ever wanted to feel like you were piloting Serenity, from Firefly, with a crew in an unforgiving and hostile environment, this is it.

The soundtrack is great. Combat is interesting. There isn't a plot, really, but the narrative that you can create for yourself is incredibly. You'll grow attached to your characters... and get sad when they die of Oxygen asphyxiation. The ship customization, and details, give this game a huge amount of replay value. Any sci fi fan should try their hand at this game it's awesome.

The only downside to speak of is the tediousness of unlocking certain ships. You have to be extremely lucky to get certain ships, no two ways about it.
  93. Apr 29, 2013
    FTL is just one of those Unique games that you can't say anything bad about. It is so simple but allows the player to get engrossed and continue on their mission. Faster than light is a game you can go to any time and have a great time, never seeing the same ting twice is a bonus which is rare within games these days.

I'll be honest I first downloaded this game illegally but after I

I'll be honest I first downloaded this game illegally but after I played my first game I enjoyed it that much I went back and bought the game to support the developers in their great work. I have never played a game like this and you will never have the same play though of the game twice. I can't wait until more content comes out for this game. I would highly recommend this game.
  94. Apr 20, 2013
    This game is completely unfair & makes me want to throw my keyboard across the room.

This is precisely why I love it! It captures what I love about science fiction & puts you in an unforgiving environment and forces you to show what you're made of! It has strategy & rpg elements which I love and is never the same game twice. I do tire of it after several marathon sessions, but I

It has strategy & rpg elements which I love and is never the same game twice. I do tire of it after several marathon sessions, but I always come back for more beatings.

Thank you, sir! May I have another?
  95. Apr 8, 2013
    This game is amazing, a very real credit to what indie developers can come up with. I'd been curious about it for a while, and a friend told me it was his vote for Game of the Year. That surprised me, so I gave it a try and now I can't stop playing it.

It is a very difficult game, and since there is a large randomization factor with, well, every system and every encounter, it can feel at times that winning or losing (mostly losing) can be a matter of luck, but so much strategy goes into building your ship and dealing with combat that you wind up feeling like every choice you make must be a contemplated one.

This is a wonderful creation. Go give them your money.
  96. Apr 3, 2013
    Amazing, me and my cousin played it for hours non stop. Whether you play it with a friend or by yourself you'll not regret your purchase. The only downside is that it is incredibly difficult, but this only makes your accomplishment larger once you have completed the game.
  97. Apr 1, 2013
    Incredible gameplay! FTL is an easy to learn and incredibly difficult to master game. It has a mix of arcade and strategy elements that I have never seen before. Building your spaceship as you go gives a sense of vested value that matches any RPG. To top it off, the soundtrack is excellent, and the interface is so good it makes you wonder how the AAA titles fail to get it right.

I

I have not played an indie game that comes near as close to FTL.
  98. Mar 24, 2013
    There plenty of reasons to complain about FTL. Luckily for this little game? None of those reasons are that it isn't fun. It is a one of a kind game there really is nothing like it out there. Let's call it an epic space flight sim? If you're after graphics this is not the game for you. Yet I consistently find my room mates and friends watching me play this game. It has real decisions,There plenty of reasons to complain about FTL. Luckily for this little game? None of those reasons are that it isn't fun. It is a one of a kind game there really is nothing like it out there. Let's call it an epic space flight sim? If you're after graphics this is not the game for you. Yet I consistently find my room mates and friends watching me play this game. It has real decisions, 'real' stakes and 'real' consequences. Huge replay-ability and a truly fresh feel. Definitely pick this one up. Expand
  99. Mar 20, 2013
    I truly love this game. Lot's of replayabiliy but I would have appreciated if there was a bit more randomness to the boss... but the overall experience starting and going to the boss area is really fun. I love the selection of weaponry, the number of passengers, the shields and the how you have to strategically utilize all of this using careful management of energy.
  100. Mar 16, 2013
    At long last, a game that doesnt underestimate people. In a time when pretty much every single game takes you by the hand until its very end, its refreshing to play something like this. Yes, you die a lot, and yes, sometimes it does get frustrating, but thats it. The gameplay seems simple yet its fun and addictive, loved the music and really liked the customization of your ship.

1. May 27, 2013
    Fulfill a sci-fi fantasy by becoming the Captain of your own starship! Don't expect great graphics, but do except to lose many hours to FTL and expect to lose your ship ... a lot.
    Kickstarter has accomplished its mission in this one, giving the opportunity to an original, non-mainstream title to go public and meet its well-deserved success. Especially for sci-fi fans, it’s a no-brainer; buy this game at once and live the life of a courageous pilot that only has one mission: survival. [November 2012]
  3. Nov 24, 2012