6.5

1. Mar 10, 2014
    Grabbed it while it's on sale, i was expectin to play boring shooter in space but this game is more than this. There are a lot of ships, weapons, equipments, stations, systems... Controls are a little bit weird but you'll get used to it in 30 mins. Main storyline not long enough but there a tons of side missions in every space station. If you ask me, game isn't worth $19.99 but if you buyGrabbed it while it's on sale, i was expectin to play boring shooter in space but this game is more than this. There are a lot of ships, weapons, equipments, stations, systems... Controls are a little bit weird but you'll get used to it in 30 mins. Main storyline not long enough but there a tons of side missions in every space station. If you ask me, game isn't worth $19.99 but if you buy it on sale for less than $10 this would be better for you. Expand
  2. ABG
    Mar 19, 2013
    This would be a mellow casual game, if it didn't crash so much. The visuals and sound are nice, and there are lots of ships to fly and accessories to try. It was worth the 66% off I paid on Steam, but I crash nightly. I'm lucky to travel thru a few systems before the program crashes.
  3. Dec 26, 2012
    This game has so much potential to be a legendary game; if only it would expand beyond what it is now. The graphics are beautiful on my 27" iMac. The Mac version allows me to use my old USB Joystick, which makes combat a lot of fun. The storyline is silly in a fun/entertaining sort of way. Unfortunately, the storyline is kind of linear, though you can leave it and come back to it, as youThis game has so much potential to be a legendary game; if only it would expand beyond what it is now. The graphics are beautiful on my 27" iMac. The Mac version allows me to use my old USB Joystick, which makes combat a lot of fun. The storyline is silly in a fun/entertaining sort of way. Unfortunately, the storyline is kind of linear, though you can leave it and come back to it, as you see fit.
    It is annoying that the opponents' ships don't have the same upgrades that are available to you. I would have expected a pirate flying a Veteran to have a turret on his ship and the same array of weapons and missiles that the user could pick up.
    One thing that baffles the mind is why they wouldn't give us the ability to form a small fleet of ships under our control, through either capturing other ships or purchasing additional ships. Since the game already allows for wingmen, to whom you can issue orders, it makes little sense. I guess I have a dream of having a game that has all the features of the Escape Velocity series of games, but has the 3D flying and wonderful graphics like GOF2 Full HD has.
    I have put a lot of time into playing GOF2 and have finished the expansion packs. Now, I am left with nothing but a handful of repeating missions and a very limited number of solar systems to visit. Once you finish the storyline, it would be really nice to be able to dominate systems with the armada that you wish you could build from captured or purchased ships and take over the galaxy, once system at a time.
  4. Dec 2, 2012
    GoF 2 is a likeable casual space sim, let down by some strange design choices and a terrible PC port. If you imagined a cut down X3 or a reborn Privateer, you'd be fairly close. Generic missions, ship modules, an increasingly expensive choice of ship, a half-baked storyline, it does nothing enormously original. However it has a pleasant casual appeal of simple flight and easy combat, whichGoF 2 is a likeable casual space sim, let down by some strange design choices and a terrible PC port. If you imagined a cut down X3 or a reborn Privateer, you'd be fairly close. Generic missions, ship modules, an increasingly expensive choice of ship, a half-baked storyline, it does nothing enormously original. However it has a pleasant casual appeal of simple flight and easy combat, which means that if you're turned off by complicated space sims this may be for you.

The game isn't without flaws - each faction's NPC ships are identical and practically never change which means combat gets repetitive fast; you the player may have access to shields, missiles, and various other special modules, but you'll never see them used on you; turrets are absymally implemented; the PC options are terrible and controls awfully limited; porting clearly was a last minute effort as basic input handling doesn't even handle more than one button at once and targeting just doesn't work properly; perhaps worst of all, the developers opted to not bother porting the more interesting add-ons that would have breathed more life into the game. Some very strange decisions.

Yet, if you can fly with the mouse and get used to its quirks, it's refreshingly fun & simple to play. It's the quintessential tablet game; nothing complicated, yet fun enough. I managed to drop 15-20 hours into it updating my ship, finding new starcharts, building from blueprints, and of course completing the simple yet amusing storyline.

I would say it's worth picking up in a sale, as I did, as it's just not worth the full asking price due to the flaws. If they patched in a proper PC porting job, and made the NPCs less generic (neither of which frankly seems like that much extra effort) it'd go a long way to making it a well rounded space sim that does what it does simply & effectively.
  5. Sep 17, 2012
    What content it does have is enjoyable, but it barely has a story, has a small amount of side missions, and you can get the best ship with the best equipment and dominate the entire small galaxy in a short amount of time. Not worth more than $10 in my opinion. I will be waiting for a massive expansion pack to care about this game ever again.
  6. Aug 22, 2012
    Okay GOF2 has problems. The autopilot will fequently drive you straight into asteroids (more annoying than a problem), the economy difference between systems doesnt vary enough, the voice acting is decidedly hammy, certain "freelance" missions will make you an enemy with one faction or another and it's never clear which or why, mining is great fun but will quickly be abandoned when youOkay GOF2 has problems. The autopilot will fequently drive you straight into asteroids (more annoying than a problem), the economy difference between systems doesnt vary enough, the voice acting is decidedly hammy, certain "freelance" missions will make you an enemy with one faction or another and it's never clear which or why, mining is great fun but will quickly be abandoned when you realise you can make money far faster just by looting from everything you kill, and it doesn't really offer anything new compared to other space trader games available. Despite all these faults it has the customary addiction factor of this kind of game, the graphics are passable if not amazing, and the storyline will gently pull you along without thrusting you into situations with impossible odds as long as you've done a little side questing along the way. The ship classes are interesting and varied with each faction having an easilly recognisable style as are the varies customisation possiblities regarding shields weaponry and other gadgetry. All in all an entertaining piece of software as long as you don't take it too seriously. Unfortunately, there are better games in the same mold already available at less than half the price (such as DarkStar 1 and Freelancer). If you've already played these (and the great X2:) and want a fresh delve into something very similar then this is for you. In my opinion it's certainly better than the original X and the botched X3 which was ruined by a terrible "new" control mechanism straight from the console scrapheap. Expand
  7. Dec 2, 2012

1. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 28, 2012
    Admirably essential in its space-tradingness, but should have stayed on the tablets. [Nov 2012, p.80]
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    Fishlabs' retro space adventure is a joyous tribute to masterpieces such as Elite and Freelancer. It isn't awfully long and the combat system could be more polished, but updating your space ship and traveling to uncharted star systems is still a treat. [Sept 2012]
  3. Sep 6, 2012
    Despite the great graphics that could suggest otherwise, Galaxy on Fire II is a game conceived for mobile platforms, and should've stayed right there.