7.8

1. LebT.
    Jul 11, 2008
    There are too many "leet" PC gamers out there who couldn't wait to bash the hell out of this game. Notice all the comments about how "console gamers don't know what good games are" and so on. Not saying this is a masterpiece sitting next to all other PC games, but this is definitely up there and not deserving of a measly 5!
  2. FrikaseeJ.
    Feb 17, 2008
    I didn't really think it was a ten, just trying to even it out because this game deserves way more than a five. Sure it's pretty and uninovative, but there are some games, such as the first Halo, that just give you that epic hero feeling, and those games deserve praise seeing as few in numbers they are.
  3. SteveF.
    Apr 29, 2008
    This is definately a console game. However, not owning a console, i found this game fantastic on the PC. I won't give it a 10 for the fact that the DX10 support is pretty buggy, and it's not Half-Life 2.
  4. FrancisF.
    May 4, 2008
    This is a fun game but don't go into it expecting too much. I've noticed that a lot of the pro reviews seem to be over hyping this game and i think it is this game's down fall. Potential buyers expect way too much from the game. Play it as it is, mostly like an arcade shooter, and you will have fun with this game. Although there's not much in terms of story and This is a fun game but don't go into it expecting too much. I've noticed that a lot of the pro reviews seem to be over hyping this game and i think it is this game's down fall. Potential buyers expect way too much from the game. Play it as it is, mostly like an arcade shooter, and you will have fun with this game. Although there's not much in terms of story and character development, the game play is satisfying. There's just something about shooting from behind cover and seeing the blood of your enemies splashing around indicating that they are taking hits. Expand
  5. MarkS.
    Nov 14, 2007
    I don't know why users are rating this game so low. I'm not a console port fan at all, but this one had intrigued me, when I saw it being played on the XBox 360 at a local EB. I run the game maxed with a 8800 GTS with no hitches. The game has never crashed on me, and I'm more than half way through the game. Some points are vailid. Installation took a very long time. Windows I don't know why users are rating this game so low. I'm not a console port fan at all, but this one had intrigued me, when I saw it being played on the XBox 360 at a local EB. I run the game maxed with a 8800 GTS with no hitches. The game has never crashed on me, and I'm more than half way through the game. Some points are vailid. Installation took a very long time. Windows Live is pointless, and the lack of a quicksave option or more checkpoints is sometimes frustrating. However the game play is excellent, and well worth the price. Expand
  6. AlexD.
    Nov 20, 2007
    It's good game, that also looks good. Sotryline a bit lacking in terms of detail and controls not as good as they should.
  7. AustinC
    Feb 10, 2008
    This game is very good. It is really exciting to play with a friend in Co-op. Great maps and gameplay, also you can almost hide behind anything which is great. Not to mention, the weapons in this game are fantastic. See this game on the shelf? Get it, play it, then enjoy yourself for several hours.
  8. Maslab
    May 16, 2008
    I enjoy this game very much. I only ever tried the console version for about 15 minutes before, and I feel as though it held up, even if I am a sucker for extra content. This game has great graphics and good controls. It isn't a great PC game, but I can't think of any way to make the controls better than actually having a chat option, instead of opening the console and typing I enjoy this game very much. I only ever tried the console version for about 15 minutes before, and I feel as though it held up, even if I am a sucker for extra content. This game has great graphics and good controls. It isn't a great PC game, but I can't think of any way to make the controls better than actually having a chat option, instead of opening the console and typing "say etc." That just gets plain annoying. Enemies are really tough though. The basic locust will take half a Lancer clip before dropping on the easiest difficulty, and most of a full one on the hardest difficulty. If I empty even a quarter of a clip in to a marine from an AK47, he's still going to at least be grievously wounded. Then the tougher ones aren't any tougher. A Boomer take three headshots to drop on Normal with a sniper, three to drop on Insane. Difficulty sky-rockets once you get on to the Insane difficulty. You die very fast and enemies die half as fast. There isn't much variety in weapons, so you just need to worry about one for the situation. Its a gore-fest too. How many games allow you to run up and stick a grenade to an opponent. I've heard about a lot of very good PC games, but as I have only recently started gaming on the PC, I haven't played them. But I liked this game. If you're looking for a good tactical game with a lot of gore, go for it. If you want an actual FPS, this isn't for you. As PC games go, its not the best, but it is still fun. Expand
  9. PB.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Very very nice port imho.. No problems so far, running under Vista 32bit with a core2duo e6600, 2gb ram, x1950pro. It took a little while to tweak the graphics so it would run fine, but after that it ran pretty good and the cinematic quality of the game is vastly superior to other shooters on the PC.
  10. SamN.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Have had a few sound issues, but other than that, what's not to like? The control system is great, the duck'n'cover works seamlessly, and the action is intense.
  11. DarioD.
    Nov 15, 2007
    A most excellent game to begin with, and a very good port (if not somewhat buggy with the AI behavior - characters will often get stuck or just stand around). Controls also work excellently, unlike some are saying. (I have mine custom-bound to the Numpad) Aiming is smooth, and overall game performance is good on a wide range of computers (the settings are very scalable). I played through A most excellent game to begin with, and a very good port (if not somewhat buggy with the AI behavior - characters will often get stuck or just stand around). Controls also work excellently, unlike some are saying. (I have mine custom-bound to the Numpad) Aiming is smooth, and overall game performance is good on a wide range of computers (the settings are very scalable). I played through Gears on the 360 as well, and can easily say that the PC version is better, what with the keyboard/mouse controls, super-duper-high-resolution you can set it at, and extra levels at the end. This is simply a good game. Expand
  12. JimmusM.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Fantastic game. Runs reasonably well on my system, despite the fact that I don't have absolutely top-of-the-line gear. The textures and models are absolutely gorgeous, and the gameplay is fast and exciting. I can't speak to any of the multiplayer elements, since I don't often subject myself to the frustrations of gaming with angst-driven teens online.
  13. ChristopherH.
    Nov 17, 2007
    An enjoyable game, but it does very much feel like a console port (which it is) along with the slightly dodgy controls apparently common with ports. Like many of the XBox 360 to PC ports this game seems to have disproportionally high system requirements in compared to native PC games. The use of cover in the game is very cool, though you do rather fell like you are playing Halo at times An enjoyable game, but it does very much feel like a console port (which it is) along with the slightly dodgy controls apparently common with ports. Like many of the XBox 360 to PC ports this game seems to have disproportionally high system requirements in compared to native PC games. The use of cover in the game is very cool, though you do rather fell like you are playing Halo at times complete with the weak, inaccurate weapons. Gears of War makes a half-hearted attempt at giving you control of AI team-mates but it Expand
  14. MehmetT.
    Nov 18, 2007
    I honestly don't understand why some people give this game such a low score. This is a solid port to the PC people. The single button system that allows you dodge, dive, scale and cover works great; it spices things up without complicating this shooter game. The campaign revolves around a simple and cliché story, but it is told really well with top-notch voice acting and I honestly don't understand why some people give this game such a low score. This is a solid port to the PC people. The single button system that allows you dodge, dive, scale and cover works great; it spices things up without complicating this shooter game. The campaign revolves around a simple and cliché story, but it is told really well with top-notch voice acting and exciting music. The graphics and sound effects are of high quality. Nothing beats the sound of your enemy being ripped apart by your chainsaw equipped rifle! I had the scale the game to medium graphic settings to keep a smooth framerate, but the game still looks impressive. So make sure that you have at least a decent PC by today's standards. The multiplayer is really fun (but tough, be prepared for your butt to be kicked for a while until you start gaining some good experience), and this is coming from a guy who really doesn't like to play multiplayer. The only reason why this game doesn't get a 10 or 9 from is due to some instability and bug issues. The game has a nasty habit of sometimes crashing to desktop during loading the savegames or intense gunfights in the campaign. And in the multiplayer you sometimes come across this weird bug which makes you and other players "phase" from place to place. Also, some people may find the really long installation process and the not-so-simple on-line sign-up procedure annoying. But any score lower than 8 would be an insult to the developer Epic and their game. Expand
  15. Zach
    Jan 24, 2008
    Excellent port to PC, including new maps, and great gameplay. Ingenious cover system used allowing you to take cover behind anything, anywhere. The system requirements are correct, as I am running bare minimum on XP, but can run the game on highest settings, averaging 40 frames a second. Singleplayer is not where this game shines. If you want to get this game, get it for the multiplayer, Excellent port to PC, including new maps, and great gameplay. Ingenious cover system used allowing you to take cover behind anything, anywhere. The system requirements are correct, as I am running bare minimum on XP, but can run the game on highest settings, averaging 40 frames a second. Singleplayer is not where this game shines. If you want to get this game, get it for the multiplayer, because that's where all the action is at. Expand
  16. Felix
    Dec 17, 2007
    I agree. The single player is repetitive and boring. However, multiplayer is where the game shines. People almost never take cover in multiplayer. However...it works really well on the 360. Just not the PC so much, because the animations make it WAY too easy for headshots.
  17. DanyT
    Feb 4, 2008
    I was not sure to try this game since my experience with games ported from console to pc is not really good but I'm glad I did.
    I like this game a lot, loads of action and nice graphics even on my dell laptop with a GEF7950 gtx and 2 gig of ram on windows vista 32.
    The way you can hide and shoot is really nice. The third person view is not too bad even if I dont like it normaly in
    The way you can hide and shoot is really nice.
    The third person view is not too bad even if I dont like it normaly in this kind of game.
  18. AntonioF.
    Dec 25, 2007
    Great game if you can overcome its flaws. its hard to reccomend after there are so many good shooters this year but never the less this is a good one. and with some nice weapons that give oyu some real killing satisfaction.
  19. Jul 27, 2011
    Pure fun to play. Reminds of Mass Effect 2, just without the whole levelling up etc. Good recreation after a hard working day. Just a pity they won't release the other parts for pc.
  20. Jan 30, 2012
    Вот из-за таких занудных рецензентов, декларирующих, что мол "этаВот из-за таких занудных рецензентов, декларирующих, что мол "эта формула не работает на ПС", мы похоже и не дождемся продолжения серии. Игра отличная, собранная - нет ничего лишнего. Проходить одно удовольствие. Expand
  21. Mar 28, 2013
    epic的长处可能还是在引擎上...
  22. Aug 11, 2014
    This is a very good Xbox 360 -> Pc port. The controls are very good, aiming with mouse is very fluent and visuals are very good. On game play side it's fun, the story is interesting and the gun play is awesome. The only big downside I see is that sometimes it can get a little repetitive. With that said, I personally think it's one of the best shooters out here on Pc.
  23. Jul 2, 2015
    I know the game is old, but I am really enjoying it. I just got a GTX 970 and I have everything set to Ultra with my resolution blasting and all I can say is the game is alot of fun to play.

1. With upgraded graphics, exclusive campaign chapters and a handful of new multiplayer features (handled through Games for Windows Live), Gears of War is a very desirable shooter.
    While all the added content is damn good, ironically, the greatest gameplay addition to this PC port is also responsible for one of the bigger annoyances: the interface.
  3. Gears of War on the PC is still the same ground breaking game it was a year ago just now on the PC. The same innovative gameplay and breathtaking events are included along with five new campaign levels exclusive to the PC.